Conservatives in the Wilderness

[My story on CPAC in today's paper.]

Same old hotel on the park, same ballrooms, same long lines down the corridor to hear the big-name speakers, but otherwise the landscape looks radically different for this year's Conservative Political Action Conference, which wrapped up yesterday afternoon at the Omni Shoreham. The conservatives are in the dark woods now. The deep brambles.

"I'm still seeing who will lead us out of this wilderness," said Sarah Smith, 27, of Alexandria.

The country's conservative, Republican-dominated strongholds have shrunk to the Deep South, the Plains and talk radio. Mitch McConnell (Ky.), the Senate Republican leader, warned that the GOP cannot be satisfied with being a regional party. "We must make a comeback," he thundered in the Regency Ballroom.

This is the first time since the aftermath of Watergate that conservatives have known what it is like to be so completely out of power, out-funded, out-organized and arguably irrelevant to national governance. Even the free market has seemingly betrayed them, what with the Wall Street shenanigans, banking dysfunctions and auto industry incompetence.

This gloomy hour for the right is probably most akin to 1965: Routed at the polls, the bedrock conservatives see their worst dreams of big government becoming a legislative reality. One word that has surfaced repeatedly here in speeches and interviews has been "socialism."

"We now have moved a major step in the direction of socialism," Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.) said Friday, adding: "We are close to a fascist system where the government has control of our lives and our economy."

The last three CPAC gatherings have seen an incremental decline in the fortunes of the conservative movement. Two years ago, CPAC was the hottest ticket in town, featuring a cattle call of Republican presidential hopefuls. Mitt Romney jump-started his presidential campaign with a speech designed to prove his conservative credentials. John McCain didn't show up, knowing that this crowd, which starts on the right of the ideological spectrum and walks out on the ideological wing from there, would never embrace him.

Romney returned last year, having spent tens of millions of his own dollars in an ill-fated presidential run, and announced that he was dropping out of the race. McCain appeared and hoped for a rapprochement. The conservatives had to make do with someone they didn't truly believe in.

And now there's this year. The bottom. Exile Island.

Click here to keep reading.

Tomorrow I'll blog some more about the conference (I'm taking today off). In the meantime you might want to check out Rush Limbaugh's speech. It struck me that most of the speech could have been delivered verbatim 20 years ago. Evil liberals and all that.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 1, 2009; 7:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Rocky Folds
Next: Obama Should Try Public School

Comments

I fear one party rule because no matter how much I support that party human nature yields arrogance, over-reaching, and corruption when the opposition is irrelevant. Come on reps, Rush with zillion year old bits? Where is the intellectual integrity? Where's the integrity period?

Enjoy the day off JA.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Roxana Saberi, former Miss North Dakota, and reporter you've probably heard on NPR, has been jailed in Iran. Here's the story from the "Fargo Forum"

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle, Cassandra, Al. How is everyone this morning?

Such a contrast in our weather, last night it was Very Cold Indeed, and today it is supposed to hover just below freezing, on its way up to positive numbers all week. Amazing.

I feel exceptionally well, which is all to the good as I've got a busy day, with the highlight having breakfast with #2 before she gets on the plane to go back to Montreal.

And then all the mundanity that comes with Sunday; cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping. Those have their own charm (if I say it often enough...).

Later, peeps.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, is it possible to be both socialist and fascist simultaneously I remember them being opposite ends of the politial spectrum. Perhaps only in the conservative world.

Glad you are back safe and sound Yoki.

CP we had some of that pebble snow the other day not that unusual here, but I do not know the correct name for it - I am sure there is one.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

CP - that type of snow is called Graupel - have to love Google!

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

all this hot air from the republican lunatic fringe is just more of the same. they could not win the last election by calling obama the L-word or the N-word, no matter how hard they tried.

so now they dig deep into their stores of paranoia and hatred and come up with--surprise, surprise--the F-word and the S-word.

they are so terrified of obama--his popularity, his intelligence, his world-wide appeal--that they are close to a psychotic break. couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of selfish cretins. the only problem is that they are more than ready to take all the rest of us with them.

Posted by: butlerguy | March 1, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

What a great article! To me it really highlights the notion that politics is as much about psychology as philosophy.

To many, conservatism is clearly more than simply an approach to government. It is also a source of psychological comfort and meaning. It is like a religion, and many of these individuals are having a crisis of personal faith.

And with all crises of faith, there are two responses. Either you abandon certain tenets because they have become so egregiously inconsistent with observed reality, or you double-down and become even more of a zealot.

So the GOP will become filled with a combination of the disillusioned desperately looking for a way back to the warm snuggly feeling of certainty, and wild eyed zealots spewing venom against the heretics and infidels who have Lost Faith.

And a scary number of the latter group seem to be doing so behind microphones.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 1, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Good morning!

I though so, too, that Fascism and Socialism were mutually exclusive. I'll have to read more about it.

It is nice to be here after such a long absence.

Hope everyone is ok. Yoki, sorry I couldn't come see you.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I finished my Dowd Analysis for the day:

The Obama as Spock photoshop is not mine, but it was too good not to use.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | March 1, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

abeac!! So nice to see you here.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Why do Republicans think that autobahns and making the trains run on time were the fascists sins?
They sure like the military/governing style.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 1, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. This is indeed a fine article. I'll repeat what I said last night though: it is time for truth in labeling. Most of the people about whom Joel writes here are not conservatives. They are reactionaries. By allowing them to assume the mantle "conservative" we give them more standing than they actually have and grant them authority within the Republican party they don't deserve.

Years ago the political spectrum, right to left, read: reactionary, conservative, centrist, liberal, radical. Both reactionaries and radicals may become revolutionaries. Let's expand our political vocabulary again to reflect the very important gradations of belief involved here.

Conservatives, liberals and centrists all, at heart, desire a working government and can find some common ground in which good governance may occur. This is not true of reactionaries or radicals, who are completely driven by ideology. They may not believe in good government at all, and if they do, good government is not a priory if it means compromising their ideals.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Priority. Not priory. I actually corrected a different error in that word.

Howdy, abeac!

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Great article on the Doom and Gloom economists (quite Joel like)

Ivansmom great post.

Welcome back abeac.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

How come it always go back to name calling. Surely a convention of conservative thought should have produced more than name calling and fear mongering? Policy?

Newt Gingrich as possible president? Are they so out of touch?

Posted by: --dr-- | March 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Ivansmom is a genius. She has answered my question before I asked it.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 1, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

dr, I knew someone would wonder about "priory".

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, dr, the reactionaries at this meeting were in a particularly awkward position. Usually the fringe on either right or left can throw stones and call names without worrying about providing policy suggestions because they have no real shot at becoming part of government. However, these reactionary "conservatives" had a shot at governing for several years and the opportunity to implement some of their dearest ideology-driven policies. All empirical evidence suggests those policies did not lead to good governance. They didn't work.

Whether they admit it aloud or not, at least some of those people understand that. They want to destroy the system Obama is rapidly putting in place (flirting dangerously with "revolutionary" here); because they are ideology-driven, they have nothing new to offer; because they are reactionary rather than radical their aim is to return to policies of an earlier time; those poicies have been tried and have failed.
They are reduced to name-calling.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Lenin and Stalin would love this stuff," Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee told a packed ballroom on Thursday."

Try googling "Huckabee aids camps"

Posted by: Boko999 | March 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey abeac! Long time no hear from!

Wouldn't it be nice to have real opposing ideas that work about governance? Being a retired bureaucrat, I always am amused by the conservative mindset that less is better. What is right is what works; ideology never does.

I joined the Obama camp last spring when he said he was for giving employees what they need to be successful, and holding them accountable for their success.

Snowing in the High Country: big fat flakes. The dryer just finished, so I'll get the towels out and we'll be ready to go down the mountain. Later, folks!

Posted by: slyness | March 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. It must be fun to live in that alternate reality where Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are the voices of reason. *shudder*

I'm just back from a longish walk with the Very Large Puppy. It was supposed to be cold (the thermometer shows -15C or thereabout) but the sun is bright and high in the sky, there is no wind so it turned out to be a very pleasant day to be outside. The VLP was even panting and huffing from the heat in the home stretch. Big dogs overheat easily.

Got to tend to the barley soup, or how to transform forgotten freezer burnt steaks into edible food.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Good thinking, slyness. Never go anywhere without a towel.

I like the "The Conservatives' 'Cleansing' Moment" title of Joel's article.
Ever give a racoon a sugar cube? If they have water they'll wash it 'till there's nothing left.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 1, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Singletary says "Hey, Bailout Snivelers: Hush. You Don't Need It." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/28/AR2009022800168.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR

Very on boodle from the other day.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, Boodle. I read the first page of Joel's piece last night and got sidetracked on something or other, but I promise I will finish it, even though the topic is quite easily the most odious and distasteful one Joel's ever covered in his long career as a reporter. I view as kind of like dealing with a septic system back-up: awful as it is, someone's got to deal with it, even if it means tearing up and through out the sub floor all around the toilet in the downstairs bathroom. Unpleasant in the extreme, but necessary (and the topic doesn't reflect upon the writer).

We had a wee bit of snow here overnight: but nothing on the roads and sidewalks and driveways. Only the barest amound on the grass, and just a little bit visible on the mulch beds. Except, of course, my back deck, which has a quarter or half an inch on it. I suspect the reason is it is 10 feet in the air, so it is like one of those "Bridge Freezes Before Road Surface" thangs. So there's more snow on ym deck than in the whole rest of Suthin Merlin.

But even better: they are calling for 6 to 10 inches tonight. This means only one thing: V-day tomorrow!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! A 3-day weekend!!!

Two front-page heds with stories I have on my afternoon "must-read" list: "Newspapers Reel From Mistakes" and "America Has Jumped the Snark." At first I read the last one as "America Has Jumped the Shark," and I'm thinking, yes, about 8 years ago. But then I got it. And most likely I'm bound to agree.

I may have to read the Va. sex shop story, too, if someone twists my arm.

Since it's my wife's birthday (she's 39), I have to make a special dinner using chicken breats (and can throw in a pack of legs if necessary). I'm thinking some cacciatore-like. Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? I think I want to stay away from the boring, cliched fried chicken/baked chicken things. Something interesting, using white white. And I'll even go to the store if there's an unusual ingredient. C'mon, Boodle chefs extraordinaire, gimme some ideas.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Chicken Divan would be nice. As would Chicken Saltimbocca (even though Veal Saltimbocca is much better). Neither are too healthy, but who wants healthy on their birthday?

Posted by: LostInThought | March 1, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge, I'm sending you a recipe by email, and then will post it here later.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, Al.

I'm having a good time up here in Boston, but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about my scheduled flights home this evening.

It won't be so bad if I have to stay up here for another day, though that would mean taking a day off of work and missing a meeting...

Spoke to Scottynuke a few minuted ago. He's at Logan now and supposed to fly out soon - looks like he's going to get home this afternoon, and I'm sure Nukespouse will be relieved to have him home (not to mention the Nukats).

Have a good day, folks, and I promise I'll catch up on the Boodle soon, storms and all...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 1, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey all (including Al) -- got a late start today (on purpose, and I wish I could have slept longer, but my internal clock kept nudging me awake).

Yoki -- glad you made it back home alright. It was a treat to see you at the IBPH.

Well, Mudge, one of my favorite chicken recipes does not, alas, call for white wine in it (but certainly on the table). Season the chicken breasts with whatever seasonings you like (I'm particular to tarragon and thyme on chicken). In a pyrex dish (to whatever size you need if you've got it) melt some butter (maybe 1/2 stick or more, depending on how much chicken you're making) in a 350-375 pre-heated oven. Once it's melted, bring the dish out of the oven and set it on the stove top (or wherever). Mix in with the melted butter a combination of mustard and curry powder (feel free to include maybe some roasted garlic and some ginger if you like). Mix it all up in the dish. Then take rinsed and dried chicken breasts and dip them into the mixture on both sides, and then place them in the same dish. Once all the chicken breasts have been duly baptized (or whatever it is called in our tribe), then bake the whole thing for maybe 45 minutes or so until the chicken is done.

Frankly, I haven't used my regular oven for so long (as I nuke everything), I'm not at all sure of the timing. If you've got a full-size microwave, you can do the same thing and nuke it (depending on how much you have) for anywhere from 12-16 minutes (more or less) -- until done, anyway.

Do enjoy it. I have accompanied it with rice made with raisins -- the raisins plump up and pair their sweetness with the curry/mustard spice of the dish.

Happy BDay to Mrs. Mudge, too. I have two friends on two different continents whose birthdays are today. Nice introduction to Spring (if it ever comes).

Toodley-Boodley to all for a nice rest of the day.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 1, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

A homemade chicken pot pie can be a wonderful thing.

Or http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2006/07/chicken_cacciat.html

Re the future of the opposition party, that's a head scratcher. I hope if it continues to be based on hatred and ignorance it fails big time. If some new concept of fiscal responsibility is reinvented, they will still have to be better at it than the current administration, or else it will just be another illusion they want people to believe. Which is all they have going for them now: illusions.

I sometimes go to other websites' comment sections. The vitriol is horribly depressing, and tends to erode my hopes for the future. But after a time, I return to my normal hopeful self.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Get some herb and jerk that chicken. Wine's ok too.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 1, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Boko-you sure have a way with words.

Redstate Update covered "Little Bobby Jindal" pretty well
(old news, I know, but I just got around to checking in with Jackie and Dunlop)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Rather violent mini-storm here.

Another item from the Globe and Mail. Brian Milner talks to Brian Bruce, an expert on investor psychology at Southern Methodist University, who set up a "Bargains of a Lifetime" fund in 2008.

Apart from that, the doomsters have tended to be right. Ambrose Evans-Pritchard at the Telegraph is in apoplectic-apocalyptic mode today. Trouble is, he tends to be right.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I know what I have to say proves I am naive beyond the normal definition of naive. It is ok to laugh.

In all the comments quoted in Joel's article, I never got the sense that those people were interested in the well-being of the country. They want to win and they don't care who gets hurt. It is all about me, me, me!!

One guy speculated that, if the economy rebounded, Obama and the Dems would be in power for a while. I know I was not there, and I can't read the facial expression and body language in the article, but it still felt to me like this guy would be willing to sabotage the economy to get his peeps in power. Pretty sad.

I do have to say my two kids think that is the difference between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans are selfish and Democrats are not. I didn't tell them that. They came up with that themselves.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

This a an easy one. Popular with our family. All proportions are approximate.
One big chicken cut in 8 parts or about 3 pound of chicken thighs and/or breast
Olive oil
2-3 French shallots and 1 garlic clove (more, to taste)
1 table sp. Tomato concentrate-paste ( the toothpaste tube stuff works best)
1 tin of diced tomatoes, drained
Salt, pepper , parsley, (tarragon, thyme) or (saffron soaked in a teaspoon of cold water)
½ to 1 cup white wine, dry
16-24 green olives, pitted (or not, do tell the diners!)
Color the chicken part using olive oil in a large pan
Remove chicken and fry up shallots and the garlic
Add the tomato, wine and seasoning, mix well
Add chicken and simmers 35-45 minutes until the chicken is done
Add the olives just before serving

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think many of the Republicans have confused politics as the art of governing with politics as the game of getting power.

That said, I reject the notion that conservatives are by nature small minded. Conservatives are very concerned with maintaining that which they have. It is a philosophy of the defensive crouch. And a lot of them are scared.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I like chicken cacciatore, Mudge. It's very easy to vary and hard to mess up.

SD's recipe sounds pretty good if you like green olives instead of mushrooms (I don't but I would actually try tasting this recipe, definitely.)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think it's important to note that there's a big difference between politics and campaigns & elections. Seems to me that while there were a few seminars on things like base- and coalition-building, the bulk of the CPAC agenda was morale-building and C&E (granted I only skimmed the agenda, at best. Besides, they just came up with a new platform just a few months ago at the convention.) As such, of course they're going to knock down the other side, predict armageddon, etc. (There is the occassional total butthead who brings someone's husband into the deal like that? what a flipping idiot. it's the 'when you've got nothing else, get personal' approach.)

Cassandra, I think you were referring to Bay Buchanon's quote. But what she said is true. When things are going well, the party in power tends to stay in power. I think pundits on both sides of the aisle would readily agree. The only reasons it sounds distasteful is 1/it's coming out of her mouth, and 2/she said it at CPAC.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | March 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Baked Tarragon Chicken Thompson
Gourmet | April 1998

Meera E. Thompson: New York, NY
Yield: Serves 8

1 cup crème fraîche
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled
freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a 13 x 9-inch baking dish stir together all ingredients except chicken. Add chicken to mixture, turning it to coat well, and arrange in one layer. Bake chicken in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until cooked through.

That's the official recipe. BUT, Yoki's Notes:

Use fresh tarragon, a couple of tablespoons chopped. Season and brown the chicken breasts in a little unsalted butter before adding them to the cream sauce mixture, and deglaze the skillet with the white wine to get all the chicken flavour.

Hey 'mudge, be sure to let us know what you end up making, OK?

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Ooops...not Cassandra. abeac. So sorry.

Posted by: LostInThought | March 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Howdy All
Finally home for the 4th day of my 4 day weekend.We have about an inch of new snow,but the roads are fine.I had a wonderful time away even with my limited budget.

It looks like the east coast may be under the N'or easter tonight and into Monday.I doubt it will stretch out to west by god though.

Yoki,glad to see your home and cooking again.It was a pleasure seeing you and everyone else Thursday night and you look great,keep up the good work.

I stopped at a friends business on my way home and got a "Real" cheesesteak sub,Been 9 years in west by god and I haven't found a good steak sub yet.

Well,off to sweep the snow away and warm the house.

Later everyone

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

When I read another psychological analysis of Milosevic, here:
I googled the author Aubrey Immelman, and discovered he's running for Congress in Minnesota. Does not care for Bachman. Who is, it appears, simply mentally unstable:

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, gwe! It was great to see you too. Such fun.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dear, what a dilemma. I probably never should have asked for suggestions. I found online a Giada recipe for Roman-style chicken that featured a lot of bell pepper and prosciutto and capers that looked really good (and like you, Yoki, I am crazy for capers). And I have an Emeril recipe for coq au vin with braised leeks that looks out of this world.

And now I have about four or five recipes from you guys that have me rolling on my back with my paws in the air. What to do? I'm salivating so much I need a bib, already.

This is going to be very, very difficult.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry 'mudge, we all know that when it comes down to the wire, Giada wins you over every time! That is, you admire her recipes and knife skills.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

My philosophy has always that you can never go wrong with capers.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 1, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Ooops - left out the "been"

Can't have that.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

All these recipes sound great, but I've already been to the store and I'm not going to brave the rain and the crowds again. So it will be soup here tonight. I probably ought to get started, because we had the big breakfast so no lunch and will be hungry before long.

I did get some Danish bleu at the store. Mr. T doesn't care for it, so it's all mine!

Two inches of rain in the gauge when we got home, and it's been pouring ever since. The forecast is for 3-6 inches of snow. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. Rescheduling the appointment with the eye doctor is a no-brainer.

Posted by: slyness | March 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

So here I am, sitting in Bethesda, looking out the window from time to time for a snowflake or two, and.....nuttin! I witnessed a couple of lonesome flakes maybe an hour ago, but they're now gone.

Don't make me get all disappointed, weatherperson!!! I want snow, and lots of it, so when it melts I can see crocuses.

Just sayin'

Enjoy your chicken -- however it may turn out to be -- Mudge and Mrs. Mudge.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - do you think the feds will actually close up shop? You know how cranky the boss gets when that happens.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

abeac, you're not being naive. Those people would prefer to oust their opponents from power, and to reinstate their own policies, at the expense of the welfare of the country. That is what makes them reactionary rather than conservative.

I'm willing to give a lot and work with people of any persuasion who ultimately care about the country's (or usually, in my case, state's) welfare. The people quoted in the story don't, and I give them no quarter.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

ftb, I could send you a big box of snow. That would help you out and get at least one box-worth off our streets!

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

One more mention of good cheese, indeed any cheese with flavor beyond colby, phillie cream cheese, American singles or medium cheddar (what I could buy in Our Fair City) and I will have to refrain from boodling until I can get to town tomorrow.

Jumper-Ma Frostbitten e-mailed this morning to find out when Bachman would be committed. Since any district that would elect her must be an open air asylum I think that would be redundant. I prefer to think of her as a not-so-secret weapon designed to destroy the party from within. She and Rush are like a sleeper cell, just out in the open.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Frosti, I need some good cheese to ride our our gathering snow storm. Cheese sticks left over from swim meets and a back of grated cheddar....wishing for buttery Gorgonzola to eat while watching flakes and Masterpiece Theater....the stores are jammed. Shall not venture into that insanity....inanity, rather.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Boy, that woman Bachman is a nut. She's a different breed of cat from these reactionaries Joel wrote about. From these quotes, her menatl processes aren't that coherent. "Unstable/unable" - I love it.

Soon I will (to the Boy's extreme embarrassment, I fear) be among the parents acting as chaperones for a large group of middle schoolers learning formal dancing and etiquette. Then I'll come home and pour a glass of wine. Wish me luck.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Since no one linked to this story in defense of newspapers, I will. The author, David Simon, is one of the principal writers (or THE principal writer) of The Wire.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just learned a new word: autarky -- new to anyone else?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

One day we're swappin' poetry, the next, it's chicken recipes. This one's probably not fancy bday meal quality, but I've never served it to anyone who didn't like it. Plus, it's dead easy.

Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
1 1-lb box rigatoni, cooked
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes and seasoned w/ S&P
2 T olive oil
2 26oz jars Classico Red Pepper sauce
1/2 c whipping cream
1/4 c chopped fresh basil
1/2 c grated Parmesan
3 T chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350. In a dutch oven, cook chickin in oil until browned. Add sauce and cream and bring to a boil Reduce heat. Stir in basil and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in rigatoni and Parmesan. Place in 13 x 9 baking dish and cook 35 min. Top with parsley and extra Parmesan.

Posted by: KBoom | March 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

New to me, too, rickoshea. Thank you. 'Tis a good word.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

So, here it is, just past 4:20 in the afternoon, and not one single furry flake. I'm really, honestly, disappointed.

Thanks, Yoki, but I do like to see it free-falling (not from a box) -- it's just me, I guess.

Hey -- the Pistons, my poor bedraggled Pistons beat the Celtics today in Bahstahn no less. After the embarrassment of my beloved Red Wings losing to Nashville (I think it was) last night by (*gasp*) 8-0 (fergodssake), it was awfully nice of the Pistons to do what they did.

On TCM I think it was today, I was watching Rear Window (one of my favorite Hitchcock movies). You know, I've seen it probably at least 25 times, and it never fails to put me on the edge of my seat. What a masterpiece! And Grace Kelly sure was gorgeous. Nevertheless, I always admire Thelma Ritter. Great character actress. I remember her from Miracle on 34th Street, too. She was great. Terrific movie, in spite of the snarky anti-woman comments from Wendell Corey's character.

And, now, on to something else to keep me occupied before le deluge de neige (sp? en francais).

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing here! I'd join you all with red wine and gorgonzola, but first I'd have to go to the store, and that's NOT happening.

Yoki, I feel better knowing that you didn't know that word either.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 1, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

ftb,it is snowing here in west by god,I am pushing it your way....well blowing it your way "puff"

Willie the woodpecker just stopped by for a visit,flying from tree to tree.A friend likes to call them woodknockers,the big piliated ones sometimes sound like jack hammers.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

A good article, rickoshea. I forwarded it to a few people. Thnx

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

You could always fluff it up out of the box, toss it as high in the air as you can manage and shout "Wheeee!" as it comes down.

No, wait, that's leaves, isn't it? And maple helicopters.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

RickoShea -- faxing you some gorgonzola....found some flat and two-dimension variety in the back of the cheese drawer.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

And the winner is...

Emeril's Coq au Vin Blanc, at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/coq-au-vin-blanc-recipe/index.html

Prep Time:
45 min
Inactive Prep Time:
hr min
Cook Time:
2 hr 15 min

Level: Intermediate

Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

* 10 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
* 2 organic chickens, about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds each, quartered, rinsed and patted dry
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 30 small pearl onions, peeled
* 1/2 cup minced shallots (2 large shallots)
* 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
* 1 pound button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered if large (should match size of pearl onions)
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons tomato paste
* 3 cups full-bodied dry white wine, such as white Burgundy, or a California Chardonnay
* 1 1/2 cups rich chicken stock
* 8 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* Egg noodles, cooked according to package directions, accompaniment
* Braised Leeks, recipe follows
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

part 2 directions coming

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think that was Madoff with everyone's money.

And what will happen to Madoff when he is released to the public.

and dejavu

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Any ideas on pork chop strips? Thinking of dredging in cracked pepper and fresh rosemary...but would love to hear from you culinary wizards and divas...something simple....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL! GentlemanGWE

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Stir fry CP,fresh onions,pepper and veggies stir fry over rice, nice hot warming meal on a cold snowy night.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, GWE. If I can beg a pepper from a neighbor, that sounds lovely. What spices do you like in stir fry?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooooh, coq au vin. I love that but it's quite THE project. I've messed the kitchen three times today (beef stock, barley soup with said beef stock, spatchcocked turkey and shepard's pie with leftover lamb), I'll pass.
That will be simple veggies with the turkey, thank you very much I am outcooked.

CqP, stir fried with Chinese greens, broccoli, green peppers, any other veggie?

Pork Stroganoff with mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and sour cream on noodles?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

There's a peanut sauce that's awfully good with pork cubes. I mix peanut butter, either hot Szechuan sauce or a lot of hot red pepper & soy sauce, a lot of garlic, some water for the right consistency, and at the end (all it needs is to be brought to a simmer and stirred well)some dark sesame oil for flavor. Then I stir fry the pork cubes with some vegetables and a bit of the sauce. Once all is done I drizzle the majority of the sauce over it all. I have whole- wheat egg noodles with this, but any noodle in a storm will do.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I usually put fresh(frozen) basil in about eveything I cook(Mom has a major supply) but with stir fry I usually just use terriyaki or soy sauce.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Usually the vegetables I prefer are a diced red bell pepper, some onion, some julienned green onions, and some broccoli florets.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Your peanut sauce sounds fantastic, Jumper.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

CP very basic in this house, stir fry the pork for us add either Honey Garlic Sauce (kid friendly) or Teriyaki sauce (which is on my no go list til the gall bladder is out). Add carrots, snow peas or sugar snap peas - serve over rice.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

They all sound lovely....I think the peanut sauce prep will work for me and then reheat nicely for CBoy, how DR will be thrilled to know is curling.

No snow yet, but I bet Rick O'Shea and Maggie O'Day have flakes now.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Autarky is a favorite word at my house. My husband had a Japanese professor in college, so my husband says that word like the professor did. He yells the word out at random when the kids are acting up and he feels like joining in the silliness.

I'm not cooking anything fancy today. Home-made mac and cheese and marinated pork loins. So kosher...

The snow is BEAUTIFUL here. I'm predicting at least two days off this week.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I have finally found the secret ingredient to make vegetable soup delish - add barbeque sauce. Any BBQ sauce will do. Generally, I chop up whatever veggies are in the fridge and whatever leftover meat I might have, throw it all in a pot with chicken broth and simmer. Perfect for a winter evening, and great for lunch for several days thereafter. And easy, I'm all about easy.

Posted by: slyness | March 1, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Part 2

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large, heavy Dutch oven over high heat fry the bacon until crisp and all of the fat is rendered. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crisp bacon bits to paper towels to drain. Set aside and reserve.

Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Brown the chicken pieces in the hot bacon fat, working in batches, if necessary, until golden on all sides. Transfer the chicken pieces to a large plate or bowl and set aside. Remove all but about 4 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the Dutch oven. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the chopped onion, pearl onions, shallots and garlic cloves to the Dutch oven and cook until soft, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes longer, or until they've released most of their liquid and have begun to brown. Add the flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly add the wine and stock, stirring constantly. Add the thyme, bay leaves reserved bacon and chicken. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and cook the sauce at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, until liquid is slightly thickened. Bring the sauce to a boil and cover the pot. Place in the oven and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is very tender. Transfer the chicken pieces to a serving dish and cover loosely to keep warm. Return pot to medium-low heat. Skim any fat from the surface of the cooking liquid and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the heavy cream and cook until the sauce has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven and cook for a few minutes to heat through, then serve.

Serve with egg noodles and Braised Leeks. Garnish with chopped parsley.

*This dish may be prepared 1 or 2 days in advance and then reheated slowly just before serving.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

CP, I announced SNOW! hours ago, and I just noticed that it's sticking. If I were still a working girl, I'd stay up all night long in anticipation of a snow day. Now everyday is a snow day.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

In stir fries, I like ginger, garlic and soya sauce.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 1, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I've always believed that Conservatives think they have a right to destroy the country, as long as they're in control of the destruction. And I believe this concept comes from the fact that they believe the country is theirs to do as they please. The rest of us are refugees, as they said during Katrina. "We" don't have a stake in the country because we don't have that right. That only belongs to Conservatives.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 1, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I wrote the above comment about two or three hours ago, and hit submit just now. And you folks are talking about food, and recipes. Sounds good, Mudge.

Ivansmom, I like your take on Conservatives. And Boko, you and the racoon with the sugar cube, funny.

Hey, a bea c!

We're still waiting for the snow. I know the kids are sending up sincere prayers. Have a good evening, folks. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 1, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

It was 87 on Thursday and 90 on Friday. Newspaper showed a photo of some young folks relaxing alongside the Guadalupe River near Gruene, to our north. The young women were clad in bikinis, the young men in swim trunks. Trying to get a headstart on summer.

Posted by: laloomis | March 1, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Eat your hearts out. *l*

Posted by: laloomis | March 1, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

But were they baring their arms before 20:00?

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

We had a wonderful walk in the snow in 11 F weather. Lots of trees, soft crunchy snow, and good smells about.

I was as warm as toast too. Eat your hearts out.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 1, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll be wearing my jammies inside-out tonight.

Light snow here in Howard County's premier planned community.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

(I know I am. What a dinner: chicken n corn soup and tuna with my kibble.)

Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 1, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to make a snowball,put it in the freezer,get some dry ice and later this summer,drive south and outta nowhere

Pow, right in the kisser!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Snowball-making tip:
Obtain some pre-color'd snow
(Works best with ziploc.)

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 1, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The coq au vin blanc was well-received by everyone (it was terrific, if I do say so myself). But yes, as Shriek says, it was a lot of work. I made it ion my giant skillet (10 qt? not sure), with five lage bone-in chicken breasts and 10 legs. It took an entire bottle of wine (Robart Mondavi fume blanc). But boy was it good.

So were the leeks, whose Emeril recipe follows:

For the Braised Leeks:

* 4 large leeks, tough outer leaves discarded and leeks trimmed to about 7-inches in length
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Pinch pepper

Using a sharp knife, trim most of the roots off the ends of the leeks, leaving enough so that the leek remains attached at the bottom. Cut each leek lengthwise into halves or quarters, as desired. Run leeks under cold running water, using fingers to loosen and remove any dirt or sand from between the leaves.

In a heavy skillet or saute pan that has a tight fitting lid, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks to the skillet with any water that is clinging to the leaves from washing them. Cook the leeks, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and thyme and lower the heat to medium-low. Braise the leeks, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the leeks are very tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

-----

Already got 2 inches of snow here, have had to clean off the satellite dish twice so far. The storm is mainly south and east of DC. We're looking at 6-8 inches here in Suthin Merlin.

Which is fine by me.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Eat my heart out? I get liberal leave for inclement weather -- not clement weather.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Oooh! Recipes!

We had a pork stir-fry for dinner. Sauce was soy sauce, ginger, garlic, Thai red curry paste, and oyster sauce. Accompanying the pork were carrots, broccoli, Napa cabbage, green onion, red pepper, and snow peas.

*drifting off into a food-induced coma*

Posted by: Raysmom | March 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

90 degree weather, bikinis and swim trunks give us skin cancer. Snow gives us a day off to hang out with the kids, listen to music, and read a book, not to mention bake some yummy cookies.

Eat YOUR heart out.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I think I read something about snark earlier in the day. Hmmm... Oh, well.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

GWE - LOL

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

One of the obscure sat. TV stations, ReeTV,is just now showing one of the great, underappreciated SCiFi movies, "Starman," starring Jeff Bridges, whose acting in this sing is so good, and so subtle it's quite amazing. The movie has a budget of about $4 and zero special effects to speak of, but is still a great "little" movie.

The love interest is Karen Allen, and the late Charles Martin Smith, who was a fine character actor (American Graffittii) is about the only other actor in it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Great movie Mudge. "Yellow means go very, very fast."

Our PBS station must have more frequent pledge breaks than any other in the world so no Masterpiece tonight. Might as well do laundry. Hope everyone what wants snow gets some. We are headed to another bitterly cold night (-10 or worse).

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Charles Martin Smith is late.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 1, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

ahhh, snow days. good times. reading this boodle makes me hungry, too.

pretty warm here, upper 70s/lower 80s. tree pollen coming out in full force. just went for a walk. still have snowcapped mountains visible in the northeast of the city though.

Posted by: LALurker | March 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

You are right, Frosti. He arrived on time back in 1953.

Posted by: abeac1 | March 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Drive-by boodling here... so many recipes! I'm hungry all over again, even though it's after dinner for me.

Loved David Simon's piece in the opinion section, about the lack of crime reporters to hold the Baltimore police dept to their obligations re public information. For me this connected back to what CquaP and Ivansmom were talking about the other day, viz, that college kids just don't read anymore. Could the explanation be that there actually exists less and less to read in terms of straight dope? The countervailing institutions that made reading interesting in my day (by golly) have become too weak?

This is my Solemn Thought for the Day (tm). Please deflate and then ignore.

Posted by: woofin | March 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

It's official! No school tomorrow!

Posted by: -TBG- | March 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

And Carolina shrugged and hunched down and, all out of heat, took the snow on her shoulders and it was okay.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 1, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

oooohoooh! Thank you, TBG, now I don't have to stay awake all night long peering out the window. (Though I did open the front door long enough to watch a car drive by so that I could actually see the snow barreling down.)

Canuckisitanis, please don't laugh at us Marylanders.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Seems you're right, Frosti; he seems to be still alive. Haven't seen him in anything in a coon's age, though.

Did you guys know that when you have a satellite dish and it snows, you have to go outside and clean off the dish periodically? I've had to brush off mine three times in the last three hours.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, let's let them laugh, Maggie. They're easily amused, and anyway, we deserve being laughed at.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, good thing it isn't on the roof or a tree like mine.

The snow has stopped here,very little accumulation.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

*Snort*

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

laloomis, were you teasing like you would a friend, or were you being snarky? (Sometimes tone can be hard to hear in print.) If in a joking manner, I'd say something along the lines of yeah, back at ya with your drought. If you were just being mean, I'd rub in the drought, and then mention stuff like a mulch fire in some town that's so gosh-forsaken that mutant-testing facilities find it ideal. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but it would make me feel better.

I'm sitting here with my child sleeping peacefully, a glass of wine in my hand, the fireplace crackling. A beautiful winter night.

Posted by: LostInThought | March 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Earlier in church today, the priest had a special message to all the students in the congregation. He mentioned that practicing superstition, because it calls on powers other than that of God to intervene on behalf of one's behalf is a sin against the 1st commandment. So no flushing ice cubes down the toilet or going to bed with pj's inside out tonight in hopes of abundent snowfall.

Then he went on to further advise. The action to take to most likely ensure that school would be canceled tomorrow would be to complete all homework.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | March 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Just went out and dusted the dish again. Got at least three inches here. The TV is showing all those "crawls" with school closings.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Padouk, Padouk. I really hope you aren't watching the Tom Selleck made-for-TV movie "Jesse Stone: Thin Ice." It features not one, but two flaming redheads of...how shall I say this? quite attractive mein. And both are Canuckistanis (what *are* you people putting in the water up there?). One is named Leslie Hope (she was Jack's wife on "24") and her character name, unbelievably, is Sidney grenstreet. The second one is a relative unknown named Kerri Smith, and she plays a nun, Sister Mary John. (Which presents some problems, fantasy-wise.)

I think they've both been in several other Jesse Stone series movies.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, the great Kathy Baker is in it, and she's a redhead, too (in this, anyway).

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

'"We're not just going to be the Party of No. We're not just going to be the party of opposition," said Rep. John A. Boehner (Ohio), the House minority leader. But he offered little more beyond the notion of keeping government limited and "unleashing the power of freedom" in the lives of Americans.'

The reason they don't offer any more is they and everyone else knows this means simply letting poor people be poor and they don't care -- even if it means living like Calcutta of 50-100 years ago, or on a Southern plantation. Think of all the servants you can hire when most people are poor. As for me, I'd rather not live in the midst of poverty, even if I'm well-off and the police can keep my property secure. I'm willing to pay some taxes and endure some market barriers like unions to prevent that from from happening. Full-fledged capitalism is a major inefficiency because many of the costs aren't on the balance sheet.

LTL-CA

Posted by: Jim19 | March 1, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Snow, snow, snow! After 3 days of the local weatherman hyping the coming snow....ooops!
No snow, just a Nor'easter with tons of rain. The kids are bitter...AGAIN. The wind is howling out there and it has poured rain all day.

Loved the recipes, particularly KBooms and Jumper's peanut sauce. I've already written them down. We had shredded beef enchiladas and rice...yummy!

Conservatives in the wilderness...richly deserved, I'd say. Watching some of the snippets of the CPAC thingie these last few days, I'd say that some of those folks are positively unhinged. Really scary.
I just hope we can all watch the complete implosion of the Rush phenomena. I think it's coming.

Posted by: Kim1 | March 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey LTL! "Think of all the servants you can hire when most people are poor."

I think you might be onto something.

Posted by: Kim1 | March 1, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

It’s snowing here and they are predicting 10” or more inland but we will probably only have a couple. Darn! I like big storms and this time of year because I know the snow won’t stay too long.

A few years ago when Air America had a Boston station, I used to listen to Franken when he would debate his Republican friend who listened to Rush. Even his friend would end up admitting that a lot of what Rush said were exaggerations or lies. Today Rahm Emanuel said he thinks Rush is “the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican party.” I’d agree with that, especially after all the CPAC news. Talk about being in a bubble, geez. I don’t understand why distorting the truth (or outright lying), rabble rousing and narrow-mindedness would be at all appealing.

Enjoy the snow day tomorrow, those of you who have it. I’ll be slogging off thru’ inches of slush.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 1, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Off to bed, hope all brave the storm safely in the DC area, if you can get out and enjoy the snow day.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 1, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can recall (IIRC) Sidney Greenstreet was a big ol' fat white guy in a baggy suit and an unidentifiable hat (not a Fedora, nor a Trilby, not a Porkpie nor a Beret), perhaps a Pith Helmet?

No. A Derby!

Boodle, dear. Have you ever laboured over a comment for, literally, hours, crafted it finely, and in the end decided it was a wasted effort? Just too silly?

I have just deleted such a one, and very proud of myself I am, too.

LTL, that was the rockingest post ever.

'night, Boodle.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I think the best part of a chicken is the legs not the breast (or the whole thing stuffed on the BBQ rotisserie, not to mention the feet for making soup), but when forced to cook something from chicken breast I usually have good luck with schnitzel -- slice thin, pound out thinner, flour->egg->breadcrumbs, wait, fry briefly in butter, serve with lemon. Yum. As for the white wine, serve it alongside.

Posted by: Jim19 | March 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

snow is falling at an inch per hour here...snow day tomorrow...

Posted by: -jack- | March 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Jim19!!! Sorry I don't think I know you. But you know your way around a kitchen.

Posted by: Yoki | March 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

'Night, Boodle. 'Night, Yoki. (You said you were going to bed! Now git!)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 1, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, my "real name" is LTL-CA. It seems my default sign-on has become Jim19 -- mystery to me how that happened. I haven't participated for several months, but still read the boodle's intelligent discussion approx every other day. Not to mention the kits.

LTL-CA

Posted by: Jim19 | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, LTL, nice to see you again.

This article was in the local paper today. We mention owls and woodpeckers here quite a bit, so I thought it might be of interest, and I had never thought about them being connected, particularly, as the author says they are:

Posted by: seasea | March 2, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Well whadda ya know, I get up early to get to work early to get caught up, and here we have a delayed opening situation... What's a guy to do??? *L*

Oh, and time really DOES fly when yer havin' fun! A week is far too short when vacation's involved. The weather was most accomodating, however, with a nice snow dump the night before we hit the slopes -- a little wet at first, but it dried out the next couple of days as the temps moderated. GREAT skiing, and NukeSpawn enjoyed having a friend along! :-)

bc was quite right -- information was somewhat conflicted at the airport yesterday. I'd get one set of information at the ticket desk, bc would get another on the phone, I'd get a THIRD set of info at the desk again... *rolling my eyes* Hope bc made it home with minimal kerfuffles. Oh, and some bright young person figured out you can make a bench of airport terminal seats with built-in AC and USB outlets for everyone's devices!

*slowly-ramping-up-to-normal-might-be-at-speed-by-next-month-and-don't-forget-to-set-your-clocks-ahead-next-weekend Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 2, 2009 5:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and lots in the news... Including a very interesting situation out in GWE's neck of the woods...

And hey, I go away for a week and Snyder signs Haynesworth for silly money, Jim Bowden resigns and the Pats trade Cassel AND Vrabel for a single second-round pick??? 'Mudge, weren't you supposed to keep an eye on things??? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 2, 2009 5:18 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all. Mr. T just called, he got to work fine. A couple of inches of white stuff on the ground here; the bulk of the snow fell west of us. He did say that the main road was icy and he went over to the next route, which was crunchy instead. No school anywhere in the region, of course.

I'm gonna get dressed and go out so I can take pictures before it melts. Once the temperature is above freezing, it will all be gone. I may even make my eye doctor's appointment at 10.

Cassandra, you be careful. Don't go out till this afternoon, unless you have to.

Posted by: slyness | March 2, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Scotty, good you enjoyed your vacation, and glad to have you back.

I looked out the door this morning, and we have a teaspoon of snow. And the kids are going to school, but it is so cold with lots of wind. My sister called and said the roads are good.

I really enjoyed the service yesterday. The visiting pastor said he and his wife lost their jobs on the same day. They had just moved in a new house, got kids and car payments. He said they bemoaned their situation for a bit, but sought the help of Him that owns the job. Now both of them are working, and he gave praises and thanks to Almighty God. The weather held up until we finished everything, and the turn out was good.

I'm not going to attempt the walk this morning, too cold, and there is some ice because of the rain this weekend. When I finally get back out there, it will be like starting all over again.

Stay warm folks, and be careful if you have to go out in the white stuff. Don't forget to check on the elderly.

Mudge, Slyness, Yoki, Martooni, and all, have a wonderful day, despite the weather. *waving*

Most of us here, and in the land, know Rush and some of the Conservatives are "nuts of the first degree", so what is the basis of their praddle, and why do folks allow someone to lead them that can certainly be called "certifiable"? I guess, I just want to know, WHY? Why would so called "sane" people follow this rabble? There has to be something there that they agree on, else they couldn't walk together. And I could be wrong about this, and forgive me if I am, but I still believe it to be "RACE". They are hung together in their hatred of Black folks, and an astounding fear of people like me. I mean we have to admit that there are people in this country that actually hate Black folks. So where do they go? Not with the party that has a lot of Black folks, right? Conservatives will allow some leadway if the main point isn't manipulated too much. And they will always find someone that looks like me that will go along with that premise. And if the question is asked, how so? Hatred knows no color distinction, it is an equal opportunity employer. And I double-dare any to tell me, it ain't so. You know..., the truth will set you free or either take the cover off, and in both cases one is naked and free.

Time to swim.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 2, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Wish it would snow here! 1200 acres burned over the weekend in my little community. Many homes and businesses lost, as well as acres of woodlands where wildlife was abundant. This drought is terrible. Well, maybe now I can convince my neighbors to mow their pastures!

On a lighter note, my fave band, Marah, got some press in WaPo!

Posted by: KBoom | March 2, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Two hours late? You gotta be kidding me. Unless they manage to plow our street this feller ain't going nowhere. For I foolishly never purchased chains for my Ion.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 2, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Snow day!!

We're having spider hot dogs and pancakes for breakfast.

I'm thinking ahead to the next few years when I'm hoping teachers will devote more than 15 minutes to the First World War. I plan to put together a Language Arts/ Visual Arts/History lesson using poetry and paintings as primary sources.

I hadn't read this in years.

Dulcet et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owens

This is the first poem I selected

Posted by: abeac1 | March 2, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Great idea abeac, we did a section on war poetry WWI and WWII when I was in the 10th? grade, really enjoyed it.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 2, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. We are still in the cold bubble, the snow and the wet are south of us and I hope it will stay that way.

dr, I watched the curling last night and almost did a fashion review...the puter was otherwise occuoied.

Have a good snow day you Warshington peoples.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 2, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Morning Al! Just as I was getting ready for work my boss called to say "we're closed!" Dr G made it into his office earlier this morning and said getting out of the neighborhood was hard, but the rest of the drive was OK... just the visibility was tough since it's still SNOWING.

Looks like about 8 or 9 inches on my deck right now... and it's still coming down. It's so beautiful in the woods behind my house.

Speaking of the woods... the birds were going crazy yesterday before the snow started.. flying all around in the woods, swooping everywhere... it was quite a sight.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 2, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle, Cassandra. Al, I hope your weather improves and everybody gets where they need to go.

For some reason I dread going back to the office, which is really most unlike me. Usually I have a little spring in my step at the very thought of work.

Good story on Canadian research on stem cells:

Also a Q&A with Christopher Moore (Lamb; You Suck: A Love Story, etc.): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090227.bkaskanauthor28/BNStory/globebooks/home

Stay warm, dear friends.

Posted by: Yoki | March 2, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

TBG - that seems to be the story I am hearing, that the major roads are pretty good. So I will be heading out myself in about an hour or so. I figure I just need to take it slow and easy, since the snow really is pretty light and fluffy. (Such a fun word- fluffy)

But if I get hopelessly lost I hope you keep an eye out for a green Ion driven by a confused gentleman.

Well, more confused than normal.

Fluffy fluffy fluffy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 2, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Turns out we have more snow than sleet, maybe 4 to 5 inches and it’s blowing hard. If I make it out of my driveway, I’ll be ok. North and west of us there is a lot more snow. It never fails to amaze me that our local TV stations treat these storms as *big* news. They’ve all preempted the morning shows to cover the storm. This means that they get to do interviews with people who either say “it’s New England, what do you expect” or those who say “I’m sick of winter.” This is news how?

Cassandra, what you say is true but those people don’t like anybody who doesn’t think as they do, they are narrow-minded and stubborn and probably fearful too. Right now there are not that many of them, which is a good thing.

Welcome home Scotty. Glad you had a great vacation. And I am disappointed that the Pats traded Vrabel. I always thought they'd keep him and make him a coach when he retired.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 2, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Yoki - I just read a glowing review of Moore's latest book, "Fool," and he has been added to my long list of good books I gotta read before I get too senile.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 2, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Isn't that always the way, badsneakers? The last earthquake in Montreal was followed by two days of 'news' with interviews with random citizens, and every single story was the same.

"I felt a sort of shaking, and I turned to my SO and said "Did you feel that? I think it is an earthquake."

Very boring.

Posted by: Yoki | March 2, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

RD, I cannot recommend Moore too highly, if you feel like having a laugh. Opening lines of You Suck, "You killed me! That's so inconsiderate!"

Posted by: Yoki | March 2, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"Right now there are not that many of them, which is a good thing."

Really? It doesn't look that way from here.

Cull's a funny word.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Sneakers for your thoughts, all true I suspect. And the rest of you can chime in anytime, even opposing views.

I'm getting dressed, going to surprise the g-girl at school today and eat lunch with her. Maybe I'll get to read a story too. That would be soooo much fun! I just might get to school before she does. They're not even out the door yet.*sigh*

I need coffee, and bad. Thanks, Slyness.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 2, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Words from my 1st grader this morning: "Daddy! It snowed a whole bunch last night and there is enough left over for snowball fights and a snowman."

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | March 2, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

We're getting buzzed by an impertinent piece of space dirt just about now.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 2, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all,

I watched a clip of Rush "pills" Limbaugh and one thing really stood out to me. He said something to the effect that conservatives NEVER! bend, never change...

What a bunch of bunk! According to BURKE, while conservatives do enjoy the continuance of our form of gov. and institutions, allowances are to be made for the unexpected trials and disasters that do befall; that adjustments and corrections are to be made. Conservatism does NOT mean being anti-thinking and anti-bending! Or anti-American, for that matter.

The majority of today's Republicans are intellectually bankrupt; and so-called leaders like Limbaugh are complete frauds. He's just into power (his form of porn) and will, in the words of our new VEEP, LITERALLY, say anything to push buttons.

But hey, if Republicans are gullible enuff to allow "Pills" Limbaugh to be their standard-bearer, they're gonna be wandering that political wilderness for a long, long time. And that's fine by me.

Cheers,
FORMER conservative Republican

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hi Bailey! nice to see you here again... I do love what you have to say. I wondered for the past 15 years or so when the real conservatives/Republicans were going to rise up and take back their party... doesn't look like it's going to happen, but something's gotta happen.

Which leads me to ask.... you say you're a Former Conservative Republican... have you changed what YOU are, or are you no longer associating yourself with those who now call themselves Conservative Republicans? Who have hijacked the name?

Posted by: -TBG- | March 2, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning, Bailey! Stick around, please! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

My heart was lost when the Quebec curling team was nudged out by Manitoba's Jones in the semi final. Larouche's team played fantastic all week long, and just plain deserved it.

Jones took the whole thing in the end, but it never is as much fun when the winner wins on the back of others rather than on her own strengths. They did not show a lot of strength. The team seemed out of sorts. It does not bode well for us in international play this year.

Stay safe with all that snow folks. The plus for you is surely that it will melt in a couple of days and then the flowers will be out and spring will take hold full force.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 2, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Jones' a winner dr, she seems to find a way to win even when she herself isn't at the top of her game. Yesterday, it was that double-barrelled named third that save her a$$. She had a great night.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 2, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if her second is a cop. Officer Officer has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 2, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

dr, March in the South is always a crapshoot. I'm glad it's snow today and not next Monday, when Mr. T's conference on personal protective equipment (turnout gear) brings in a couple of hundred folks from all over North America. Yeah, we got several from Canada. With luck, the weather will be at least semi-nice. I really hope it won't be 80, though, we'll all get pneumonia.

(We remember Easter 2007, when the morning low in Charlotte was 21 and in the High Country 16, with snow. That freeze killed all the peaches and apples for the year. And it was the second Sunday in April!)

Posted by: slyness | March 2, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey Scottynuke and TBG,

Nice to be back!

What happened to me.... Has anybody noticed how so many of those Republicans who served in the Reagan administration supported Barack Obama's candidacy and now work for his administration? It's something to ponder..

I was a Reagan Republican (and yes, I'm still proud to say that even tho some of his economic policies did not pan out!). And yet, I supported Obama from the first day of his candidacy. There was always something about him; and that something harkened back to Reagan (for me). It's hard to put my finger on. Like Reagan, I admire Obama greatly (intellectually) and trust his wisdom. I also just like him alot.

Back to what happened.. By 2002, Tom DeLay was down in Texas messing around with that redistricting case and I could smell a big rat there. Then the NeoCons emerged trying to sell their bogus war plans (WMD!). I didn't buy their arguments for a minute and felt the GOP was totally violating everything it supposedly stood for with this pre-emptive war nonsense!

I didn't like Saddam Hussein any more than anyone else, trust me (I woulda killed him myself had a spotted him in my sites in the Gulf War), but the case they were making was just absolute CRAP!

I felt completely betrayed by the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld cabal. It was at that point I completely re-assessed my thinking and came to the unmistakable conclusion that I no longer had anything in common with the Republican party. When I took my oath to serve this country, it was to protect and defend the CONSTITUTION - not any president or any particular party!

Today's GOP is completely inflexible and led by a bunch of chickenhawks and moral and intellectual zeros! I could go on and on... but I'll spare y'all!

Let's just say it's a beautiful new day for me, for us, for the world and I am excited about our new president and his administration. I think Obama has the potential to be a great president. Here's hoping I'm right, if not right-leaning! ;)

Bailey

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Taking a leave day, fer sher, fer sher. Channel 4 is mistakenly reporting 5 1?2 inches in Waldorf, but we have 8 3/4 inches on our back deck--measured it. And we're about 6 or 8 miles north of the epicenter in LaPlata, which had 10 inches. Wind gusts to 38 mph, and wind chill down into single digits. Funny thing is, they're talking about it hitting 60 next Sunday.

It's kind of amazing how much difference there is in the reporting if you flip among the three majors channels here. NBC has been showing the least amount of the three (and in my opinion has been wrong), despited the vaunted Bob Ryan and his team.

Sorry about the Nats and Haynesworth, Scotty. I kind of slacked off keeping an eye on them, and next thing ya know, Bowden has signed a fake pre-pubescent and reports are the FBI has been investigating him for a while. So by the time I found out, it was way too late the stop the collapse. As for Haynesworth, he's a great player -- but when I tried to talk to Snyder about the money, he wouldn't listen. (He never does; you know how he gets.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

*saluting my fellow Gulf War I vet Bailey* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 2, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Nice to hear your thoughts and reactions, Bailey. I will appreciate seeing how conservatism re-rights itself. My dad is ready for a split party. He is nearly 80 and a bullmoose republican in the tradition of Teddy Roosevelt. He is a conservationist and wonders if that "conserva" mode will emerge against what passes for conservatism these days. He is deeply concerned about many financial items before us, totally stunned by the "full accounting" budget we face yearly and across the years to come.

He is also looking for a apology or two from some central conservative figures.

I think the snark article about US culture explains in part the shrill repartee.

Snow is nice here, yall. Pretty, pretty, pretty coating on the trees. Little dog comes back in poodle-coated with snow globules....CPBoy sleeping since school has been called.

Mudge -- try the Capital Weather Gang blog for good weather chat.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 2, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Abeac, I'm a big fan of Wilfrid Owen, and use some of his stuff in my books (as well as some of his background history).

Here's one of my favs:

The Parable of the Old Men and the Young

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
And builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretched forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram, caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.
But the old man would not so, but slew his son,
And half the seed of Europe, one by one.

--------
And here's a piece from a poem called "A Terre," which makes the hair stand up on the back of my head with its prescience:

“I shall be one with nature, herb and stone”,
Shelley would tell me. Shelley would be stunned:
The dullest Tommy hugs that fancy now.
“Pushing up daisies” is their creed, you know.
To grain, go my fat, to buds my sap,
For all the usefulness there is in soap.
D’you think the Bosche will ever stew man-soup?
Some day, no doubt, if...

-------------
Can you imagine predicting in 1918 that the Germans would turn people into soap? Yet 25 years later they did exactly that.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 2, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Oh, go on Bailey.
Do.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 2, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Siegfried Sassoon knew Wilfrid Owen and Robert Graves. SS never recovered from his war experiences. He died in 1967. Tolkien was in that war too. His vision of TLOR was formed in part by that experience. Samwise Gamgee emerged directly from his experience of brotherhood in the trenches.
Two poems:

A Mystic As Soldier

I lived my days apart,
Dreaming fair songs for God;
By the glory in my heart
Covered and crowned and shod.

Now God is in the strife,
And I must seek Him there,
Where death outnumbers life,
And fury smites the air.

I walk the secret way
With anger in my brain.
O music through my clay,
When will you sound again?

_____

At Carnoy

Down in the hollow there’s the whole Brigade
Camped in four groups: through twilight falling slow
I hear a sound of mouth-organs, ill-played,
And murmur of voices, gruff, confused, and low.
Crouched among thistle-tufts I’ve watched the glow
Of a blurred orange sunset flare and fade;
And I’m content. To-morrow we must go
To take some cursèd Wood ... O world God made!

July 3rd, 1916

---
Both by SS.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 2, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Bailey *salutes* Scottynuke back, smartly!

CollegequaParkian,

Today's Republicans must first come to terms with what conservatism truly means. Right now, I'm not so sure what its gonna be; but, Teddy Roosevelt is definitely a model they could or should strive for. Afterall, he was definitely into trust-busting (banks) and environmental stewardship (new green movement). Getting back to those basics wouldn't hurt a bit.

While I may not be a fan of the GOP anymore, I do think the Dem. party needs a loyal opposition (and another party or two would not hurt!). There are a few decent Repubs I can think of off the top of my head, mainly pragmatic governors like Charlie Crist, that I hope will rise to Republican leadership. I'm not holding my breath, though.

One thing I am sure of, the likes of Limbaugh, Romney, Gingrich, Jindal, Huckabee and Palin are not going to lead the GOP anywhere, but farther into obscurity and irrelevance.

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Well, I made it in, although I ended up in what was essentially just a delayed rush hour.

Note to drivers. As, I hope, can be validated by seasoned snow drivers, the secret is to keep in mind the notion of momentum. Recall that changes in either speed or direction require friction from the tires. And the amount of force needed goes as the square of the velocity when making said changes in direction.

So you need to speed up slowly, slow down slowly, and take corners as widely as possible and as slowly as possible.

But, putzing along at 7 MPH on a straight street does nobody any good.

Sheesh.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I've decided I am going to start cheering for huge drops in the stock market. The sooner we reach rock bottom, the sooner things can start to recover.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

RD_P, as I've always said, "Four-wheel drive is not the same as four-wheel traction."

*SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Politics aside (don't say a word, Jumper), I am so glad it finally snowed here (in Charlotte). Its been forever since we've had any accumulation.

Its beautiful out. Everything's blanketed white and the sky is Carolina blue. I even made it to work (a mere 10 minutes late). But the roads are clear and the kids are all fine and having fun with schools closed.

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

New kit.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 2, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Low gear is our friend in the snow. Also, as RD_P rightly points out, plowing straight through. I confess, though, that when I get a clear stretch of road and lots of snow, it is sort of fun to speed up on a turn just to see where I end up.

Posted by: Yoki | March 2, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Here's a funny blog post:

The time of death was uncertain, but Lanier said it probably occurred shortly after several witnesses heard the victim declare, "If Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Ron Paul represent my future, I'll kill myself."

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Sassoon was a well-known poet by 1917, and although he was a brave and much-loved officer in the trenches, he issued a major manifesto against the war, which nearly got him court-martialed. Graves, also a serving officer, interceded and got Sassoon trasnferred to Craiglockhart Hospital near Edinburgh; this was, essentially, a psychiatric hospital for "shell shock" (later called "battle fatigue" in WWII, and what we now know as post-traumatic stress disorder, and/or Vietnam syndrome).

Owen was a brave and respected young lieutenant, and had been writing poems, but weas unknown and essentially unpublished. He literally got blown up by a shell, but survived (the shell hit a friend and covered Owen in the friend's gore) and wandered around for three days in shock until somebody found him, and he got sent to Craiglockhart to have his wits put back together. While there, Owen introduced himself to the famous Sassoon, and they became friends.

Both men were treated by the famous psychiatrist Dr. William Rivers, who, while himself having very grave doubts about the war, managed to get both men sane enough to go back into the line. Sassoon, as CP mentions, survived the war and lived many year. Owen went back into the line in early Sept., 1918, and four days before the war ended was machine-gunned to death leading his men across the Sambre Canal. Four effing days. Jeez.

Although they are not the main characters, Sassoon, Owen and Rivers appear as major figures in Pat Barker's highly regarded trilogy of novels, though I can't say I'm that much of a fan of the novels.

Rivers is a great, tragic figure who died in 1922 after a minor operation.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I heart BaileyReynolds.

I think you need to come to Tidewater and have a heart to heart with most of my friends here. We were at a dinner party a few weeks ago where we tried, unsuccessfully, to keep the conversation away from politics. On the drive home the hubby said, "Face it, if Ronald McDonald was the Republican on the ballot, they would still vote Republican."

Posted by: Kim1 | March 2, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Kim1,
Re: this statement:

lol.. unfortunately, I think he's right. I mean think about it... he does share the same name as the Gipper. ;)

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So now RNC Chairman Michael Steele is having to argue that he, in fact, is the leader of the Republican party. How pathetic. Shouldn't that tell him something? He's the chairman, yet no one is paying him any attention b/c Rush has declared himself the grand poobah & the zealots mindlessly follow. You'd think Steele would realize that they're just using him cos he's not old, rich and white.

These clowns, I mean party leaders actually think that all the GOP needs is a better brand/image. That is taking absurdity and tone-deafness to unheard of levels, if you ask me.

Posted by: BaileyReynolds | March 2, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse