The Robin Hood Budget

Now I'm worried about the rich. This is a huge turnaround. As you know, resenting the rich has been my major hobby for years. it gives me something around which to organize my day, spiritually. But I now see the filthy rich as useful, not only for endowing universities and museums and keeping the yachtwear business healthy, but for funding a large chunk of the federal government operating budget. But Obama is raising their taxes, they've been hammered in the stock market, they're not going to be able to deduct the full mortgage interest on their obscene mansions, and so on. The next big journalistic meme (just watch) is The Beleaguered Rich.

Lori Montgomery has a story on it today in the Biz section: The Robin Hood Budget. It's a good story that gives both sides. If Sperling et al of the Obama team are right, it's little more than a return to Clinton Era tax policy, with some Bush tax cuts remaining. The question, of course, is timing: Will tax hikes, however fair in the grander scheme of things, strangle the economic recovery? The story makes clear that this is not going to be a popular plan in Potomac or McLean.

"The tax plan would strike particularly hard on the Washington region, where one in seven families earns more than $200,000 a year, according to census figures. In affluent McLean and Potomac, nearly 45 percent of families hit that mark; in the District, about 12 percent of families do."

From the boodle, here's ScienceTim on "astronomy in Hawaii," which the GOP believes is a cringe-inducing phrase suggestive of the most extreme and esoteric form of pork:

"I estimate that observatories put about $200M or more into the state economy, both on the Big Island and on O'ahu (where the UofHI Institute for Astronomy is located). Of the facilities, only one smallish observatory is US gov't-owned, with an annual budget (I happen to know) of about $5-10M, plus two other observatories in which the US is a participant. The remainder are owned by various universities, nations, or multinational private consortia. That $2M for the promotion of astronomy (one-time earmark, because it's in the stimulus bill, not the regular budget) is all about making sure that Hawaii stays an inviting place for all that astronomy money to be spent. The presence of a high-tech industry like astronomy also helps to convince young people that education can pay off for them, diverting them from the epidemic of crystal meth ('ice' in local parlance) that is devastating the local citizenry and dominating local police activity. Folks involved with the rediscovery and transmission of ancient Hawaiian cultural knowledge also benefit from these facilities -- Nainoa Thompson honed his celestial navigation skills by working endlessly with a local planetarium ..."

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 7, 2009; 8:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Watching Mercury Rise
Next: If We Find Another Earth

Comments

I've often thought the mortgage interest deduction was nearly as much to blame for the housing bubble as easy credit (at least until "easy" became ridiculous).

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm just pleased that I have established such an *extremely* generous buffer before hitting the household income threshold for those Most Horrid new taxes.

Pretty shrewd, methinks.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I hope Obama hammers home the message that his tax policy will not hurt small businesses.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone mentioned that this is the "International Year of Astronomy"?

I'd still keep a close eye on those ad/publicity agencies.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, even the (few) people I know who might have incomes in the bracket above $250,000 are experiencing downturns this year. I'm not going to be overly concerned about them, just yet.

Posted by: slyness | March 7, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'll repost a previous Boodle, but will first direct your attention to Pulitzer-Prize winner Weingarten's latest piece. Warning: Keep tissues nearby. It's heartbreaking and tragic.

As a father who toted infants and toddlers around, I have empathy for these people.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow. No wonder Gene felt this was the hardest thing he had ever written.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

bc, thanks for pointing out the story, so difficult to see how one mistake can take have such a tragic result.

Having carted little one around, and been used to a regular morning routine I can understand how one could slip up.

When the events occur as the result of an honest mistake I do not see the need to charge the individual, there is no penalty the courts could impose on the parent that would be stronger than what they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 7, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm going to skip the Weingarten story. This mother doesn't think she can handle the subject matter. It's the kind of thing I'm awfully squeamish about.

Posted by: slyness | March 7, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

There's a discussion about mandatory sentencing that needs to occur. If I have ever seen cases that need the maximum judicial leeway, these qualify.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 7, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

That was a devastating story. I feel lucky that my children and grandchildren are well beyond the age where that can happen. I also take back what I said about not liking Weingarten’s writing.

On a happier note, it’s 63 degrees here and the snow is melting in front of our eyes.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I have mentioned that this is the International Year of Astronomy. BUT -- I hadn't mentioned it today, and I probably should do so frequently.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 7, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

With respect to Weingarten's article: I have lived in fear of this. I know that there have been many times when I was the thinnest of margins separated from disaster. People can be profoundly stupid, but more often, they are just profoundly distracted. Deviations from routine are difficult -- unless your child is awake and making sounds, it's so easy to forget that he/she is there in the back seat. I think society hates these people, vilifies and prosecutes them, as a magic ritual to persuade ourselves that they have some special defect that we lack. If I just direct enough hate at someone who accidentally killed his own child, then I won't ever do it myself.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 7, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes, bc, it's likely that the P-I will cease to exist, except possibly in an online form. The fact that it was about to cease publication made it easier for me to cancel my subscription as a cost-cutting measure. My movie buff friend's husband has been working for the P-I for about 2 years now. As she puts it, this is the 3rd paper he's shut down in about 5 years. The Seattle Times could be next.

May have to wait a bit on GeneW's story. There but for the grace of God...

Posted by: seasea | March 7, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it's snowing here. Bah! Maybe if I crank up Here Comes the Sun, it will stop (thanks, Yoki).

Posted by: seasea | March 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

sciTim,

Scapegoating. Deeply ingrained in us to do as you say, in a magical way, to:

protect us
root out evil
blame others so to not be uncomfortable.

There but for the grace of God go I. Really. Disaster turns on an instant, an irrecoverable instant.

A cousin of mine died at thirteen, with part of the story a teeny, tiny crumb of neglect. "If only we had taken him to the hospital." "It looked like a cold or sore throat."

My aunt and uncle, and the two older sibs, and the nurse-neighbor who agreed that the cold would burn itself out with rest, steam, and fluids....a regret-shrouded, self-immolating punishment that never, never, never subsides.

I could not finish the article. Something is very wrong with the avenging stance toward these people. More wrong, more disturbing than the cases even....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 7, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I believe I mean in the context of the Hawaiian thingie being temporaly appropriate.
I think the promotion of astronomy should be relentless.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 7, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It's Weingarten's writing that makes the article. I wanted to stop reading but couldn't.

Posted by: Nebreklaw01 | March 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Life lesson from literature: When contemplating marriage, always check the attic.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

not going to read weingarten's story because i just don't feel like being depressed right now.

on kit, kathleen parker also gave a rational take on the tax proposals:

makes you realize that all of hollering about taxes from the conservatives is nonsense. however, the person parker interviewed thinks that obama would raise taxes more in a second term to deal with the short falls in medicare and social security.

Posted by: LALurker | March 7, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought we cooked all the scapegoats yesterday...

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 7, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that the cellar or the closet Yoki!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 7, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I read GeneW's article, started crying halfway through. It's very good, in the way that his best are, in that it takes you places you don't expect. And if you get all the way to the end, it's not as depressing as you might think. Devastating.

Posted by: seasea | March 7, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, my eyes are moist after W's article. I tend to agree with Lynn Balfour about what needs to be done.

Gwe, it's the attic for marriage; cellars for visits to new friends; closets and showers for stormy nights.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 7, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Not up for GW's piece yet, I know his writing would pull me forward when I would need to look away. Best done when Mr. F is about to keep the household functioning.

LAL-hope Parker's quoting of Matt Miller gets more people to read his _The Tyranny of Dead Ideas_. I am a fan primarily because he goes after the "dead idea" that education is (or should be) a strictly local matter.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm here Yoki, I had do what JA suggested, scream and holler, but without the music. Just got back from a meeting, and getting ready to go to another one. I called my daughter, and I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm so ill I need to scream and holler again. Maybe while in the car. With the radio blasting. And listening to U2.

Hey, Mudge, Slyness, Scotty, Martooni(I'm so worried about you) and all the gang.*waving* Have a great day. It's eighty degrees here, and feels like ninety.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, loved your post. I know all about how a call from a grown child can make you want to pull your hair out. My tactic these days is to say stuff like "sounds like a good idea to you? yeah? really? hmmm. ooh-kay. takes all kinds I guess...." At some point, you can no longer save them from themselves. Which I guess is why my mom routinely went for a swim off the deep end. My guess is your mom had her own little sanity-grab bars herself. (My mom used to say "I wish you have one child just like you. Not two, you'll go crazy. One." Boy did she nail it. And paybacks bite.)

Posted by: LostInThought | March 7, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I know how you feel Cassandra,I had one of those days yesterday.Thank goodness I live in the middle of nowhere.

I am thinking about having a bonfire tonight,reverting back to my inner caveman.Burning wood and being fascinated by fire. Hoop and hollar and dance around the fire,that always makes me feel better.

77 here now without the sun out,it is almost getting Hot,pretty amazing since we had single digits 6 on Monday.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 7, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

FYI - Canada playing US in early rounds of the World Baseball Classic.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 7, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Weingarten article is pretty devastating. If he had chosen to follow old cases he would have found lots of broken families. A baby cousin died in fire caused by her older sister who was inexpertly doing something fairly risky she had seen her father do many times. (Teenagers and flammable liquids don't mix well)
It took a couple of years but the blaming, finger pointing, side-taking and all that took their toll and the family exploded in three parts.

I am well sniffed. The Airedale I'm dog sitting went over my pants thoroughly. The VLP returned the favour, with the addition of some drool of course, when I came back from walking the 'stranger" dog. The pleasures of dog ownership.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am a bit frenvious of your well-sniffed and bedrooled state, shriek. My turn tomorrow when I visit the doggies.

It is a beautiful afternoon out there. The vindaloo will need to wait.

I am having a happy day. And I wish you all the same.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Happy, happy, indeed, Yoki. The check (cheque) I had been waiting for (one of several, but a big one, nevertheless) finally arrived. I immediately kissed it and deposited it, which is something I tend to do.

Mother Nature's latest mood swing is causing us to smile and be out there in it. And, now, a bit of work to finish the end of the day.

Gene's article was very difficult to read, and I found myself skimming. What I can't figure out, however, is the mindless and clearly vicious blaming of outsiders. We all do stupid stuff from time to time, mostly without paying the cost of anything beyond a bit of bruised dignity. But to lose a child is so devastating. I feel for them, I truly do. And now, it's time for some entrepreneur (pardon my French) to come up with an audible/visual signal -- perhaps sent also to one's PDA and/or computer that says: YOUR KID IS IN THE CAR!

Any takers?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Do you want to know what an idiot I am? I am exactly opposite to ftb, in this way.

I closed the joint account with Himself into which my pay is deposited, and opened one of my own, but I forgot to tell my employer about it! So when we got paid on Thursday morning, there was no place for the money to go. A significant amount (enough, say, to pay my bills and eat for the next two weeks) is floating around somewhere in the cyber-ether, homeless and lost.

Our nice HR lady cut me a small cheque to tide me over, and assures me the full amount will be located and deposited correctly *in time.* No mention of *which* time, of course.

This whole "looking after myself" thing clearly has subtleties of which I was previously unaware. You just have to laugh.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

That was addressed in W's article-- the last 2 parts, ftb. There are indeed inventions out there-- but they have been ruled unmarketable because nobody thinks it will happen to them.

Lynn Balfour almost got a bill through to mandate built-in sensors, but it was defeated.

I thought parts 3-5 were worth reading, even if it's a difficult subject. But then, I don't have young kids, or I'd be swooning just reading it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of a proximity alarm that sounds if you go outside of some distance from the infant car seat when it has weight in it. Wear a necklace or keychain device that has the receiver for the alarm. The solution that retrofits the car makes it the property of those wealthy enough to buy a new-technology car. Poorer folks would have to wait a few years. A simple device that goes in the baby seat seems simpler and cheaper.

The ScienceSpouse prefers mirrors so you can see the baby. The only problem I see is that cars are not very well-equipped for the mirror that would have to go back above or behind the back seat so it can be aimed at the baby. Maybe a mirror mounted to the seat itself, aimed at the baby?

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 7, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Weingarten's article is difficult to read, as I know if was difficult to write. For anyone who has followed Gene's career appreciates the "there but for the grace of God go I" aspect of this topic. But, as is the genius of Weingarten, it ends on a note that is poignant and beautiful

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I tried to read the Weingarten article this morning, and could not; but I was drawn back to it by the discussion here and the fact that it is Weingarten. Such pity I feel for these people. Maybe that's not the right word, rather, compassion.

Such a terrible thing, to lose a child. The worst thing.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, what everyone else said.

And yes, technology. I also liked the low tech suggestions -- always put your bag, work badge, whatever, in the back seat, too. And the teddy bear who moves between the car seat and the passenger seat. Even if you've got a passenger, they can hold the teddy bear. I'm keeping those in mind.

Posted by: -bia- | March 7, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Whew, finished Weingarten's article. Rough go as expected, but so much more than it could have been in the hands of a lesser writer.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Another thought -- SciTim is right that building the technology into the car would distribute it unfairly. But what about mandating it to be included in the manufacture of car seats? Yes, the car seat is an expense, but a much lesser one, and most first-time parents have to buy new car seats anyway, to be up to date on safety standards. And what is this if not a safety standard?

Posted by: -bia- | March 7, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

An awful lot of cell phones involved with those deaths. Careful people.
Boko, wasn't there a lady who forgot her infant, strapped in a detachable car seat, on the top of her car trunk a couple of years ago? She put the kid on the boot to answer a phone call, discussed animately for a while, got in the car and drove off. She was stopped a couple of blocks later with the kid still riding on...
Charges were considered but not laid.
Cell phones can be evil.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 7, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

True, shrieking -- because cell phones are all about distraction. If places are already passing laws about driving while talking, though (and if they're being enforced), hopefully that will help.

Posted by: -bia- | March 7, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that an odd dichotomy? Cell phones can be evil, and they also save lives every day. Wonder which one outweighs the other?

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Rachel Getting Married? The death of a child changed a family irrevocably. Very good film. Heartbreaking all around.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 7, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I suspect they save more lives than than they cost, but at the price of an awful lot of torn and crumpled sheet metal. Thanks the FSM for passive safety system.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 7, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

A former girlfriend-of-long-standing of one of my many brothers was an engineer who worked for an arm of the commie Gov't of Canada, in product safety. She was amazingly ingenious at devising passive, practically fail-safe safety systems for consumer goods.

And her maxim was, "People are stupid." That is, they will leave cigarette lighters where toddlers can reach them, or they will forget the kettle is on the hob and walk away, or they will try to carry a vat of boiling oil over carpeted surfaces... because 'it can't happen to me.'

And it always does. Not every time, but once is enough.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Gosh! I didn't mean to kill it. Really I didn't.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

That was unfortunate. I'm a idiot.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

People ARE stupid. Even the smart ones. Sounds like she had a lot of war stories.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 7, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I have not left my children on the roof of my car, but have driven off with my purse, child's backpack (several times), coffees on the roof of my car. All that and I wasn't on the cell phone one!

I did once lock my child in the car along with the car keys, fortunately it was in my driveway and after a few moments of panic I calmed down enough to go inside and get the spare keys.

Needless to say I can understand how easily mistakes happen. People are stupid - and I could be a poster child some days!

Liked Tom Schroders note on the article by Gene.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 7, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I've been trying off and on all day to find video from the Daily Show where they showed pundit after pundit, and some reps, talking about Obama's "Robin Hood" budget. Then Jon Stewart asks what I thought was an obvious question, paraphrasing, "and they think this will upset people? that everyone is going to rise up in defense of the Sheriff of Nottingham?"

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Tom Schroder makes a lot of sense, dmd. I haven’t been able to get Gene’s article out of my mind. So very sad.

Why is it, Frosti, that The Daily Show makes more sense most of the time than anything on the news? Oh, I hear a ping pong ball, I think “S” wants me to go beat him. Back later.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
What a lovely night to be out sitting by the fire,the clouds have cleared way and a beautiful moon and stars are beaming down on me.The fire has been going for about 2 hours and much progress has been made on the wood pile.

Heard a train roll through the Potomac river valley, in and out the many tunnels that are nearby.Kinda cool cause when you first hear,usually a 20 minute roll by,till you hear the last faint whistle.Then another starts in.

Time to grab a few hotdogs then out again. More in a little bit.Who needs TV and movies when you got a nice bonfire to watch.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 7, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

sneaks-I'm a lot less critical of people who get all their news from the Daily Show than I used to be. I think the best broadcast coverage of the economy right now is being done by the Daily Show on TV and This American Life on radio.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Well that was fun. We haven’t played ping pong since we moved here. It was fair too as we each won a game. Today’s weather was superb. We saw at least a half dozen dogs with their heads fully extended out of their car windows. The snow is almost gone again. We grilled steak and ate on the porch. On our walk to the beach we saw a man scrubbing his plow blade clean and we joked about him not needing it again (of course now they’re saying it will snow on Monday!).

While in the cellar I got to see “S”’s new toys, some sort of clamp bench and a roller thingy that he will need when he makes us a new coffee table.

Frosti, I don't get to listen much to NPR as my commute is so short. When is that program on?

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

sneaks-it's produced by Chicago Public Radio so times vary. It's on Saturdays at 1:00PM here. Here's the link to listen to podcasts of past shows-

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Frosti, too bad it isn't on here at one on Saturdays because we always listen to Wait, Wait, at noon. But I wrote down the times and I'll try to remember or go to the webcast. I'm always looking for news that doesn't gloss over details or distort the facts so this should be good.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

frosti,
i saw the daily show with the robin hood comments, but i can't remember when it was.

stewart's smack down of cnbc was just brilliant. i knew it would go viral when i first saw it. it already has over a million views.

Posted by: LALurker | March 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering why it had been so long between comments, then I realized we just set the clocks ahead - duh. I missed that Robin Hood one, must have fallen asleep. I try to watch TDS every night and the CNBC bit was terrific, glad to know it’s so popular. We’ve been adjusting the rings and voicemail notifications on our new cell phones. Got them for nothing once the rebate comes in (not counting the chargers and headsets, but still not a bad deal to get a phone that is a bit slimmer).

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd meant to repost this Boodlechunk earlier, but was Overtaken By Events...

"Joel, some quick comments on Astronomy, the Economy, Journalism, and the General Malaise:

Obviously, many people question the need for governmentally funded science in the face of dire economic times. Astronomy is an interesting case because a significant percentage (dare I say, a majority) of optical astronomy is done (and recorded) by a thriving enthusiast community - not professional scientsts or academics. It's a big sky - big enough for everyone to have a piece, and data shared electronically on the Innertubes between the participants and the communities.

Including dopes with 'scopes, like me.

The Astronomical data gathering and analysis that can't be done by enthusiasts is the domain of the professional scientists (funded by governments, academic instititions and private foundations)- use of large private and public observatories, development of large or highly specialized (read: expensive and complex) instruments, experiments, and missions, Earth-based and otherwise.

Interestingly, some professional scientists have found ways to leverage enthusuast resources in cooperative efforts, such as SETI at Home, where home computing power is used to sort through radio telescope data for patterns and signs of information transmission, and Galaxy Zoo, where anyone can sign up and be trained to look through astronmical images of galaxes and classify them as well as note anything unusual that warrants further investigation.

The effectively utilizing the power of the Internet, eh?"

Scientists in general these days are doing a lot more with less - just go to a science facility and a private coprorate office back-to-back, and you'll see what I mean.

It's a good thing that scientists are smart, clever, and resourceful and can figure out how to do things for themselves on the cheap.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I’m depressed cuz I’m still sick, so I’m not going to read GW’s article and depress myself further. Over here, we don’t have that “left the baby in the car” problem. That’s because the laws here are not strict. Placing babies in car-seats when travelling is not a must. Majority of mothers get into the car with the baby in their arms. The law says the front seat passengers must buckle-up but nothing about the back seat.

Posted by: rainforest1 | March 8, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

You may be sad and sick, my Rainforest, but EYE am very glad to see you here.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard!

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

blizzard?

feel better, rainforest.

Posted by: LALurker | March 8, 2009 3:16 AM | Report abuse

That Weingarten piece is a staggering work of enormous genius, to coin a phrase. I can't read it without a pit in my stomach because I am an absent minded person that could do something like that. I just thank God I never did.

And yes, I think the law of unintended consequences with rear-facing back seats has a role. When my son was an infant, I took him to daycare in the passenger seat of my Toyota pick-up. Tough to not notice a kid in a car seat there.

I know people that play all sorts of memory tricks on even minor events. One guy put his car keys in his lunch box in the refrigerator so he wouldn't forget it.

My heart just bleeds for all these parents that have lost a kid and have to live with that knowledge the rest of their lives.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 8, 2009 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Have a great day, everyone, and try to give God some of your time.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 8, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

I wake up and it's 70, according to the mobile Weather.com page I called up on the CrackBerry... Yes, technology can be fun even while it's distracting you!

And also maddening -- mobile WaPo.com has Kits but no Boodle!!! *pulling hair as I sit at the boring old PC* :-)

As to GW's article and car mirrors, the SUV I rented on vacation had a cool feature -- the sunglasses holder doubled as a panoramic mirror for keeping an eye on the back seat. Somebody's thinking about these things, it seems.

And FWIW, stores' need to move inventory plays in our favor, as long as we have something to spend -- managed to find another jogging shirt and two nice "keep-cool" polos for about $10 each at a major sporting-goods store.

So did you enjoy the play, yello?

*still-an-hour-behind-the-rest-of-the-world-even-after-two-cups-but-looking-forward-to-a-very-comfortable-jog Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 8, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I always suspected that Barbie wasn't a "nice" girl.

Posted by: -jack- | March 8, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Morning all!

Loved that article, jack. Oh, the secret lives of girls.

Coffee Good. Me Like.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I loved that article as well Jack.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Enjoying the fabulous Mid-Atlantic weather this morning with coffee and the paper out on my deck, which I'm sharing with a couple of nesting doves and a cardinal (how he flies with that galero, I don't know).

Looks like rain for later, but if it stays this warm, I'll take it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 8, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's not just girls that play with Barbie that way. My best friend and I had tons of GI Joes (the big ones with frizzy hair and kung-fu grip). We also had one naked Barbie that was always getting captured by evil villains and getting locked up behind moats and guarded by tigers. Our GI Joes would have do all sorts of heroic things to rescue Barbie and she would be *very* grateful in showing her appreciation.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 8, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Scotty,
Blithe Spirit was a hoot. I had never seen it (or any Noel Coward for that matter) and it was totally charming. Rupert Everett was very droll and dapper. Some men were just made to wear a tux. We had third row seats and come very close to some upskirt views of Angela Lansbury.

Unfortunately, neither Angela nor Rupert came out to sign autographs, but Christine Ebersole did and was very friendly and gracious.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 8, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I'm checking in after what has already been a long weekend. We had my aunt's memorial service yesterday (she died in January). It was sad and joyous at the same time. Extended family came from at least four states and there were lots of us to feast on ribs and drinks. I did Friday night supper and Saturday breakfast. I think whoever's left in town will come out this afternoon. This has all been satisfying and exhausting. I used the time change as an excuse to go to bed about 8:30 last night.

I liked the Weingarten article inclusion of the professionals' explanation for strong public reactions - that futile desire to separate "me" from "them". Long ago I accepted that (a) bad things can happen to anyone at any time and (b) we are all capable of things we don't expect, good and bad.

Time to get the Boy up for church.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad the service went well, Ivansmom, and yello, I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

bc, the frogs in the canal share your enthusiasm for this weather -- I almost couldn't hear my MP3 player for all the croaking.

The jog was a good'un, too. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 8, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Man am I droopy. I really needed that hour we lost. Two loads of laundry later (thankfully done and put away), and I'm ready to go back to bed. But, alas, there's some work to do, houseplants (known affectionately as "the jungle") to be watered and other Sunday chores to take care of. . . .*yawn* *droop*

Enjoy your day, everyone. Hope you feel better soon rainforest.

And where on earth (or off) is Martooni?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Slightly overcast but warm here this morning. Going to go out to the side yard and begin beuilding a raised 12 x 15 vegatabvle garden bed for my wife, who has the urge to get back to the soil. Plus, she needs a place to put her newly cooked compost, now that she has a compost barrel.

Happy Daylight Savings Time.

Later, dudes.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 8, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Gene is at his best writing about things like this, the things that we don't want to face that lie within all of us.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 8, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, thanks for the spring peer spotting. i love these darling, wee froglets. They have a tiny cross mark on their backs, hence the name Pseudacris crucifer. Ahhh. Spring is lifting her petticoats for us; oh the leafy fripperies and furry furbelows and moss furzes.

Here them here:

Ivansmom -- I am thinking of your aunt, gone, but also the peepers with us.

I will thin the excess of Nigella (love in a mist) seedlings, transplanting them to a bare spot. No daffies yet, but some tiny snow crocus in the lawn, and a few thick bunches of snow drops. Bike ride later.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 8, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about a Forgotten Child Automotiive Notification System, I thought I needed both a new, catchy abbreviation or acronym, and that I had better bone up on services provided by Onstar
All I can think of is motion detection, which will lead to false positives when it's windy, and noise detection, likewise in noisy environments. Only a webcam would do.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 8, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hotdog grillin' weather.

Well. Close enough.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

good morning all
I love those little frog too cp, after a spring or summer rain,they are everywhere.Up here in west by god,we also have a lot of tiny tree frogs and if you didn't know what you were looking for you would never see them.

RD,I grilled the first of this years hotdogs over the fire last night,they were yummy.I don't know why,but last night I put out the fire with water,then 30 minutes later it started blowing hard.I am glad I did it that way instead of letting it die down.

Watching a fire is so enjoyable and one must have a good fire stick.I have had the same fire stick for about 5 years now.Although It does catch on fire from time to time.Poking ,turning and or placing that piece of wood with the stick is a blast.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, thanks so much for pointing that out, RD. -27 C here right now (counting wind-chill, which I do). *This* is the day for goat.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeh! We got double digit temperature yesterday! We reached 10C/50F in the afternoon. Not exactly porching weather but getting there. It's much cooler today but the sun is strong enough to melt the ice so I'm not complaining.
I'm so jealous of your crocus CqP!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 8, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, consider building 3 instead, no more than 4' wide apiece with a little space between each, and the soil will never compact because nobody will ever have to step on it. That's the theory, anyway. Mine are 4' wide each, supposed to be easier to till, no refill necessary.

Cassandra, I've been meaning to acknowledge your greeting for weeks. I'm sorry--I'm behind on everything.

Yoki, if you need a little right coast loan, I will wire $. The opposite happened to me. My ex exited our joint account the day he told me he wanted a divorce, but he never told them to put his paycheck in the new one. A month later, he was bragging to me how his new account was accurate *to the penny* at all times when I interrupted to tell him that his paycheck was in my account. . . good times!

I worked 18 hours on Friday and 6 yesterday, so it's no wonder that DST eluded me. I realized this morning that my cell alarm went off an hour before my radio alarm, I noticed a lot of time seemed to have gone by while I was logged in, but it took today's Boodle to explain it all to me.

Posted by: -dbG- | March 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks dbg, you are a splendid friend. I'm fine fine fine as I am. Happy, even.

I find it horrifying that you are working such hours, though. Talk about creep.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Ah, a story to get my self-righteous blood pressure up where it needs to be.

Partisans blowing money on unneeded weapons systems. Seems harmful to national security.

All right, Martooni, time to check in. Your imaginary friends want you back.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey dbG, I have a compost tumbler that won't be going with me when I move.If you are interested please drop me a line.

I thought you had said in a previous kit you wanted one.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Currently 73, supposed to climb to 80. My crocuses are long gone, but the daffodils are blooming profusely. They weren't affected by the low temps that killed all my camellia blossoms earlier in the week. Mr. T had to mow the lawn Friday afternoon. I just hope we don't get frozen out like we did Easter weekend two years ago. That freeze destroyed all the fruit and was a blow that the farmers didn't need.

Now EYE need to get my act together and go to the Omni uptown, where Mr. T's conference will kick off in a little while. I'm doing registration, so I have to be there. *sigh*

I'll check in when I can...

Posted by: slyness | March 8, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Yoki. I'm horrified myself.

After some consultation with Mudge last week, I realized I, too, can leave. Just not right now in this economy. The knowledge is really comforting, though! . . . one of the job's perks is the ability to send and receive multicurrency wires for free, though. :-)

A minute ago I read the WaPo Smart Living article as "DIY Dental Repairs" instead of "DIY Rental Repairs." Time to veg out.

Posted by: -dbG- | March 8, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Will be dropping you a line, gwe! Wow! Thank you!!!

Posted by: -dbG- | March 8, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

glad you could use it dbg......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 8, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Didn't mean to incite meteorological envy, what with the grillin' hot dog comment.

Really, the weather isn't *that* great. Clouds and you know, stuff. Um. Is that a twister I see on the horizon?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Much much better!

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

yoki,the warm wind is blowing out of the south today,I have been blowing it along to the north as well,pretty soon,say in a couple of days you will be feeling its warmth......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 8, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, the 12 x 15 frame is all built, and black paper laid down and nailed to the inside with roofing nails with those plastic circles. Right now it looks like the world's largest dandbox.

I thought about seperate beds, dbG, but my wife wanted this big rectangle, so that's what she got. However, we are dividing it in thirds, and the middle third with be raised an additional foot higher than the two flanking beds-- kind of a two-step pyramid, for Mayans with height issues.

The garden box is set 6 feet away from the house, and we're going to put down a walkway between it and the house. That wall of the house has no windows on the ground floor, and my wife wants to get some sort oftree to plant against it, becuase she wants to make an espelier pattern oput of it. Anybody got suggestions for a type of tree especially good for this? Dave?

77 degrees here now.

Weingarten's piece is prominently featured in the photo box on the home page, and he's having a special chat over at noon tomorrow.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 8, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

How kind, gwe. Can't come soon enough for me.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

*faxing Yoki some of our overcast-but-77-degree weather*

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 8, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Now Yoki, you know that Canucks do not require warm weather to fire up the grill - the concept of not grilling during the winter months confuses me - why not. The ability to place the grill close to a door with access to the kitchen is a requirement for us as we have always used the grill year round.

As I side note I used to process electronic payment - it is amazing how fast the system recognizes an incorrect error in the bank account - easy fix.

Cool and damp here, poured rain all yesterday, glad I could enjoy Friday.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

yup, jumper, that's our state of democracy. this is only going to end when china stops lending us money and we go bankrupt.

and rep. murtha is the most corrupt member of both houses of congress, hands down. he intentionally buries all the information about earmarks so that watchdog agencies have to do tons of extra work to piece it together. i'd like to see obama hold murtha accountable. now that would be interesting.

Posted by: LALurker | March 8, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Usually fruit trees - apple, pear - are espaliered (if that's a word). One of the tulip places in the Skagit Valley has a "Belgian fence", which is espaliered apple trees that form a fence (natch). Googled and found this site for Mudge:
which amuses me no end.

Posted by: seasea | March 8, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Mudge- I would go for Pyracantha. It can be very thorny, but I think that just adds to its charm. It espaliers easily, grows relatively quickly, flowers nicely in spring or early summer, and the berries look great in the fall/winter. Birds love them.

Here's the wiki

Scroll down to the end for a link to a jelly recipe for the berries.

I should say, the berries aren't typically eaten. When we were kids Frostdaddy used our Pyracantha, trained up a carport pole, to teach us the survival skill of eating just one berry, then waiting to see if there were any ill effects before eating more. Can't say we were ever tempted to eat more than one.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 8, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

For Mudge, espelier info.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Now, I must get seeds started indoors. Sunny and cold here...may get a couple more inches of snow, and the temps are supposed to be in the 20's F overnight this week. B-r-r.

Posted by: seasea | March 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Funny. I had such a "eureka" moment yesterday I shouted. A new design for compost tumbler. It would be a sort of cone-shaped rabbit-wire thing. To turn it, roll it. In a circle. Because that's the way cones roll.

My sister informs me she has a friend who wants me to build her a chicken coop. A good looking blonde friend. I am no fool. See ya all later.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 8, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Mudge I should have noted my link sells espelier trees (apple and pear), in various forms including for the belgian fence seasea mentioned.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the espalier links, guys. I have compiled all the relvant info from those pages and compiled it into a 12-page summary for my wife.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | March 8, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that, at some point in cleaning the house, everything, absolutely everything, is in disarray? I do not like it at all.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Even clean hurricanes are still hurricanes, Yoki.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 8, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

That happens to me all the time, Yoki. To really clean a room, I first end up piling everything in the center. Entropy must be maximized before it is minimized.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Cleaning the house? oh crap. I knew I was forgetting something.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 8, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, the work-work is done (at least that which I had planned to do), the plants have been watered, the laundry done first thing this morning when I was still merely going through the motions of being awake. Since then, copious huge mugs of green tea and white tea have kept my eyes open.

And, now, gotta to some "book work" as mom used to call it. And then, well not cleaning, that's fer sure. Yoki, in that respect, just channel your own version of centrifugal force, and watch all that stuff you piled up in the center of the room crash into your walls in some semblance of "order". That's all you really need -- just a pathway.

*I should talk*

Enjoy the rest of Mother Nature's mood swing of today. Gonna get colder this week. She so loves toying with us.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | March 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I empathize Yoki, I am in the process of stripping wallpaper, room is upside down, little bits of paper everywhere - will be so glad when this is done.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That would be great, ftb, if only my OCD-y bits would accept the philosophy.

Posted by: Yoki | March 8, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, I finally caught up with the boodling. it has been an unexpectedly quiet afternoon and I sure have needed it. It is unusually still outside and warm enough that we've got windows open. Birds chirping. The rabbit quietly lying on the floor. Very nice. Soon I'll get around to preparing tomorrow's 8 am class. This task seemed close to impossible this morning, but now I think it is doable. A little breathing room is a nice thing.

For collegeparkian, our feasts were:
Friday night at my house: long veggie and hoagie subs from local deli, chips, cookies, homemade tabouli and fruit (plumbing problems precluded lots of cooking).
Saturday morning: I made a breakfast casserole with eggs, 3 cheeses, green chiles, butter (substituting keffir cheese, sour cream & cream mixture for cottage cheese, it worked fine); blueberry muffins; bakery cinnamon rolls.
The Big Feast: barbecue ribs with family barbecue sauce; garlic cheese grits; two kinds of slaw; bread; desserts including leftover cookes & rolls, brownies, etc; champagne to toast and commemmorative margaritas. Margaritas were my aunt's favorite drink. She didn't have them often or in quantity. After two she'd balance on a porch rail, fence, or other handy tightrope.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope every resident and visitor to Baltimore has been to the American Visionary Art Museum. It's beyond a hoot. It has some very 'unusual' pieces of art, and an exhibition called 'Obsessive Compulsive Delight.'

Wow!

Posted by: rickoshea0 | March 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Greetings, comrade ladies.

Posted by: Boko999 | March 8, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The AVAM is very unique. And I truly mean more uniquer than most unique things. Lots of places have giant balls of string or rubber bands. How many have a six foot diameter ball of bras?

It's also not far from the Baltimore Museum of Industry. Here's my guide to tell them apart:

Posted by: yellojkt | March 8, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Ever so slightly on boodle, but if you like the big ball o bras, you might enjoy one of my favorite MN blogs- The Big Stuff Project

Scroll down for an enormous axe in New Brunswick.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 8, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

This is indeed a day best spent inside. We just picked up some sheeps fleeces, from a farmer in the middle of nowhere, and mrdr decided to take the old road on the way back. It was a good thing too. We were barreling through drifts, debating if we should turn around when we came on a vehicle in the ditch. We gave the driver a ride home, and decided to head back on the main road.

It was windier around noon, but it is plenty bitter right now.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 8, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

MN Sec'y of State Mark Ritchie is on C-SPAN now if you're interested. We are very fortunate he is holding this office right now.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 8, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

A fine new astronomical video:

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 8, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

There is a movie opening here, called "One Week" a cross country, lots of big things on display - Muskoka Chair, Big Nickel etc.

I have read comments that the scenery might be the best part of the movie, but I rarely agree with reviewers so who knows.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I saw the World's Largest Rocking Chair in Cuba, MO last year:

Posted by: seasea | March 8, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Tim, you're getting quite a youtube catalog. Love it.

Posted by: seasea | March 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

This is a test post. Every now and then when I refresh it does something weird where everything bunches up on the right side. I'm experimenting to see whether a post from me will exorcise my computer and make the Achenblog appear in its correct and true form. Y'all remember from Plato the importance of true forms, as opposed to shadow images. Don't be a shadow image!

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Left side. Bunches up on the left side. It is a wonder I can drive at all.

And the test post worked. Nice to see the latest comments.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
back from dinner at my neighbors house,trying to adjust to the time change.

I loved the video Tim,that is a cool place you work.

Had a nice walk by the river this afternoon,was looking for fossils for a friend,but only found then encrusted in a larger rock and didn't want to disturb them.I found a really cool bird feather and perhaps a boodler may know what kind of bird it was.
It was Blue and black striped on one side,brown or black on the other and had a white tip. My guess would be bluejay,but not really sure.

Well just chillin in the rest of the night,still warm and no rain yet.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 8, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Bluejay would be my guess, too gwe. The blue is actually a reflective property of the feather structure, not a pigment, so I've picked up bluejay feathers that had the same kind of color contrast-- brown/black one side, blue the topside.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 8, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's class is prepared and then some. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!! Of course, I still have Wednesday to finish, but sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Gosh darn daylight savings time. It is finally dark here. This means I can officially declare it bedtime. Fondue to you all, vaya con queso, and buenos gnocchis.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

In case you didn't see TheRock Obama on SNL last night :-)

Posted by: DNA_Girl | March 8, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

The sound you will early tomorrow morning will be my screams of anguish.

I do not well tolerate springing forward.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Nobody does, RD. Car accident rates go up right after springing forward into sleep deprivation, so be careful out there.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 8, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

In the small victories department, my VCR automatically changed time correctly (first time ever!), and I successfully got a sock started from the toe, using a provisional cast on that seems to have come from the devil. For the knitters, it's Judy Becker's Magic Loop cast on, but on double pointed needles, there ain't no magic at'all...I tried it about 3 times in a class yesterday, got home and saw a dreadful mistake, so I had to rip it out and figure it out on my own.

Ivanmom, that left side bunching happens to me occasionally, usually refreshing clears it up. I use Firefox.

I'll be screaming with RD in the morning...or peacefully sleeping through my 7:15 meeting...

Posted by: seasea | March 8, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

The 'Born To Hetrodyne' video is great, but it's missing something. Maybe it needs more SciTim, er, cowbell.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 8, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.
Tim, I liked the video, and understood *way* too much of it.

Am considering getting up early and going for a run, just to Spite the Temporal Spirits.

Lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness, if you know what I mean.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 8, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Just so, bc. Like jet-lag, reely.

Right now, I am sitting here, propping up my eyelids with my index-fingers, and my chin with my palms. I *will* treat the time-on-the-clock as real time.

And a little exercise in the fresh air is just the ticket! Only, my air is now -37C, and so is no ticket to ride.

Posted by: Yoki | March 9, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

-40C = -40F

trivia i know from my moscow days.

yoki, faxing warm air to you as fast as i can.

Posted by: LALurker | March 9, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Awww, I hate DST! You all are so far ahead of me now. I'm all alone now. Sigh. Have a happy Monday everyone!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | March 9, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Middle of the Pacific!

I think I may be up. Went to bed early!!! Up early.

Funny, this past weekend, it was in the 70's and I was working outside at a large downtown market selling our Honduran Coffee. It was down to short sleeve shirts most of the day.

The weekend before, it was winding and in the high 20's. Brutal weather and we were giving away hot coffee to our few friends who ventured out.

One of the visitors, however, lived in Honolulu on Wilder. She said that she recycled her paper near the Punahou tennis courts where I used to play all the time and work as a kid my last summer in Hawaii.

We had a great conversation. We talked about the carnival. Took me back!

For non-Hawaii people, here is a video from 2007...

Good night MoP!

Posted by: russianthistle | March 9, 2009 4:22 AM | Report abuse

The best part for me... maybe for Obama, the end of the video had this reminder that no one around Punahou sports can forget...

Ready? Hit it!
Strawberry Shortcake, Huckleberry Pie
V - I - C - T - O - R - Y
Are We In It? Well I Guess!
Punahou, Punahou, Yes, Yes, Yes!

Posted by: russianthistle | March 9, 2009 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, my new friend who was talking about carnival reminded me of the malasadas!!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | March 9, 2009 4:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey weed!!!

A slight headache and the need to get the slow cooker wokring on dinner has me up a little early...

Saw "Watchmen" last night with NukeSpouse and bc. A word of advice, no children allowed!! As bc said, it wasn't just R-rated, it was a "Holy Crap!!" R kinda movie. Very good, though -- makes one wonder what the "Director's Cut" would look like.

Very interesting front page today. Speaking of bc, I think he could shed some light on this:

And here's yet another example of a good idea gone quite awry:

AND, I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely really really really biting my tongue to avoid commenting on this article (but not because of the stem cell decision):

*off-to-a-rather-dark-Dawn-Patrol-prior-to-a-very-hectic-week-but-one-filled-with-promise Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 9, 2009 4:53 AM | Report abuse

Scotty,
My wife heard the anti-gag rule for scientists teased on the news and said "about time."

I'm a morning person, but this is too dang early.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 9, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. 07:16 and still in the dark.
Pretty snow is falling too.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 9, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Hola Boodlers!

The Southern Wing is ready for Dawn Patrol.

Speaking of filthy rich: Prince Charles is visiting Santiago. He's had an income of twenty eight million (pounds?) last year,

Wishing everyone a decent Monday.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | March 9, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

The sun is JUST starting to peek over the horizon. Pretty! Beautiful, even!

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 9, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Giant sized snowflakes just started falling from the sky.

Posted by: dmd2 | March 9, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I fear the caffeine is waging a losing battle with the chemicals in my brain. For said chemicals are not used to having to generate consciousness quite this early. And, frankly, I think they are a little bit ticked off.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 9, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Buenos dias, Señor Brag.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 9, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Clear sky here, fresh, cool morning. It will become hot in the afteroon. Last evening, while porching sky was absolutely clear. Moon rose over the mountains and five little pink, puffy clouds appeared as if the moon was producing them. An amazing spectacle.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | March 9, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodle, Al.

brag, Robert Frost:

I'll sit and see if that small sailing cloud
Will hit or miss the moon.

Posted by: Yoki | March 9, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Brag you are 2 seasons and 1 hour ahead of Eastern DST, right? In the past month I've been buying excellent plums from Chile. They're good after all that travelling, the ones ripened on the tree must be something else.

It's a set back to winter this morning, the wind is cold and snow is still falling.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 9, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

New Kit, FYI...

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 9, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Er, new Kit?

Scotty, the stories about Zep playing the Wheaton Youth Center in '69 have circulated for a long long time. And while Wheaton is my home town, I don't know if my Mom would have taken me to it even if I'd known. Now, Barry's Magic Shop - *that* was a different matter.

Can't even ponder that other Krulik movie from the mid-80s, as I'd wouldn't want to discover something horrible, such as myself, a quarter-century ago.

bc