A Fancy Feast of News

[In these troubled times for news organizations, we need to be more creative as we seek new sources of revenue. We may also need to rethink the concept of the so-called "firewall" between the news side and the advertising side of the business. At the Achenblog, my policy has always been to avoid showing any special attention to advertisers, as that might compromise the integrity of the journalism. But I don't see a problem with occasionally making a passing reference to POTENTIAL advertisers. Without getting too deep in the weeds when it comes to journalistic ethics, surely we can agree that there's no harm done if a potential advertiser gets a stroke or two in my copy so long as actual cash has not yet been exchanged or promised. The most important thing is that these citations be unobtrusive, so that you don't even notice them, kind of like in the movies when there's a very subtle "product placement" of a Coke can that lingers on the screen so long it has to pay union dues.]

Great story today in The Post about the chaos in college admissions. Kids today routinely apply to 10 or 15 different colleges, which makes the job of a college admissions officer really tricky. This year is especially tough because the lousy economy may skew the typical yield for some of the private schools.

What strikes me is that kids today like to have a lot of choices. In that sense they're a little bit like cats, who don't want to eat the same food every morning. That's why I try to vary their diet by buying a variety pack of Fancy Feast. Not quite in the mood for Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Feast? Well, let's try the Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast.

But wait! How about the Savory Salmon Feast? They don't say "savory" without good reason. Though some people may recoil at the sight and smell of pumpable meat, I think it looks downright delish.

Breaking news from the G-20: Obama and the Russian president -- the guy who's not Putin -- are committing themselves to a new treaty to reduce nuclear arsenals. It's very strange that, so many years after the end of the Cold War, we still are prepared to fight it. Do we still need submarines armed with nuclear weapons patrolling the deep blue sea? It strikes me that we could use some of that money for something that actually helps the planet -- such as revitalizing the planet's fisheries, which are so important to the world's cat food industry.

I mean, listen to these ingredients of Fancy Feast "Savory Salmon Feast": Salmon, Liver Meat By-Products, Salmon Broth, Fish, Turkey, Natural and Artificial Flavors....and so on. It would seem to me that if we had more salmon in the wild, we'd be able to have even more salmon in the Savory Salmon Feast. Not that there's anything wrong with liver meat by-products! No, that stuff is great. Though I thought liver itself was kind of a by-product. Maybe a liver meat by-product is the gall bladder. I don't know, but I do know that Fancy Feast Savory Salmon Feast is making my tummy growl.

By Joel Achenbach  |  April 1, 2009; 8:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Many Earths Needed
Next: Middleburg

Comments

Am I the First Fool on April Fools day?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | April 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

The Post is a fancy feast of knowledge.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

No one say new kit!

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

As an April Fool's joke, I propose we note who does not refresh their browser and is the last to arrive. This would entail, if I wasn't clear, no one notifying the folks still posting on the last kit.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Savory Salmon Feast. It's what's for lunch! Yoki, can we eat at your new place?

Yesterday at the (regular, old) supermarket I saw refrigerated dogfood. Now expensive, fresh-frozen dogfood has been out for a while, but this was pre-packaged with 2 meals for around an 80# dog. $7.49.

I do pressure-cook chicken almost every week for my dogz because putting some of that on top of dry dogfood (venison and brown rice, salmon with potatoes) makes my very finicky old guy eat. This doesn't cost anywhere near $8 a day per dog.

Maybe they'd like Fancy Feast. Subliminally, I think they would.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 1, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Years ago I had a red-eared slider as a pet. These critters are supposed to be fed live goldfish, but I could never embrace my inner carnivore enough to actually feed one live animal to another. So I did the next best thing, which was to feed my turtle the tasty wholesome goodness of Fancy Feast Savory Salmon.

So remember: Fancy Feast - not just for fuzzy mammals.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The first ad has shown up. "Mercury in fish." I think we need more remarks about "cat food." Who really knows what's in cat food? The cats don't care intellectually, and we don't want to know.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

We can certainly lunch at my place, but not on Fancy Feast Savory Salmon.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Fancy Feast?
I'm lucky to get
Fanny Fast:
the no-gas alternative dogfood
for dogs.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I've got a College Admissions problem myself. My oldest has been accepted by 12 schools for the fall semester.

Looks like I'll be heading up to New England in a couple of weeks for a Power Tour of her favorites, plus (by my request) a couple that are offering some very nice finanical packages. An interesting sign of the times: I used to dream about my children going to Ivy League schools and other well-resourced institutions of higher learning. Now that my kids can get into them, I'm dreaming about being able to pay for the local community college.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the showering of luxury on pets that has been creeping up for years will scale back now? When I was in New York quite recently, the Prada store on 5th Avenue had dog beds offered for thousands and thousands of dollars. Madness.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

You guys are making me think that Application Fees make up 20% of the US GDP.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 1, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, I have had to scale back my hotdog choice, myself.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 1, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Me too, Weed.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Yoki!!
Maybe we should go into the pet bed business,I'm sure we can make an old rug next to the wood stove look like an expensively designed pet sleeping space. you know it is like buying Jeans at the department store that already have the knees ripped out,even before you try them on.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | April 1, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

bc, you have my sympathy. I continue to be delighted that my days of dealing with college admissions are behind me. It's one of the great, unadvertised benefits of being old.

Posted by: slyness | April 1, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

See now if you just bought legumes....

The way our grocery bill has gone up lately, you'd swear that we are spenidng 8 bucks a day for food for the cat. Maybe more. I'm going to go into large scale cooking of the legume production today and then freezing of the cooked legumes tomorrow.

Posted by: --dr-- | April 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

bc, congrats on your daughter doing so well in applying to colleges! good luck with the decision process.

russianthistle, i liked your point at the end of the last boodle. i think we do have mixed sensibilities about what's appropriate precisely because people knowing each other to varying degrees in virtual and/or real life.

Posted by: LALurker | April 1, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The NukeFelines are good... They came running as soon as I opened this Kit.

I have no doubt the highly esteemed Miss c will show due deference to bc's financial suggestions.

Really.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

What did Charles Krauthammer say only last Wednesday? That our national foreign policy, when it conveniences us, is to dump small allies to make larger strategic gains? He used the example of dumping Taiwan to get cozier with China--and some pluses that came from that move.

During his talk at our Trinity University on March 25, Krauthammer strategized or hypothesized that we may dump our relationship with Poland and Czechoslovakia (nukes) to make greater strides with Iran--and Russia.

From the article by reporter Alex Spillius in Washington:

Washington wants more robust Russian support on halting Iran's nuclear drive and has signalled a slowing of a proposed missile defence system in Europe and Nato expansion, which are critical issues for Moscow. The leaders are also expected to make a joint declaration on their nuclear weapons arsenals. ...

The US president may encounter opposition to his willingness to abandon Mr Bush's plan to build a new missile defence system in Poland and the Czech Republic, whose agreement to base the system in their countries risked significant ire from Moscow.
***

So, Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek probably has more to be upset about than his view that U.S. economic policy is the "road to he11."

Posted by: laloomis | April 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Joel writes: "Do we still need submarines armed with nuclear weapons patrolling the deep blue sea? It strikes me that we could use some of that money for something that actually helps the planet..."

Krauthammer would call you naive, Joel, as he calls Obama naive. The best offense is a good defense? Discuss. I did find Krauthammer's remarks at Trinity both muscular and martial. Perhaps it's just the difference between hawks aned doves? Has the zeitgeist now changed? Or are you just being naive?

Posted by: laloomis | April 1, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I think the TMI Scottynuke refered to in the previous Boodle is Three Mile Island.

It was much in the news last week.

Posted by: omnigood | April 1, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

omni gets the gold star. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Is it any wonder that Prague is on Obama's itinerary?

One in two Praguers is interested in the address U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to deliver in Prague during his forthcoming visit, according to a poll the DEMA agency released to CTK on Tuesday. ...

While 42 percent of respondents aged between 18 and 34 said they would follow Obama's speech, it was 48 percent among the respondents aged between 35 and 54 and the whole 56 percent among the respondents over 55, according to the poll.

On the occasion of Obama's visit, Kino Aero (movie theater) has decided to include in its programme Oliver Stone's W., a biographical film about George W. Bush. The 2008 film follows Bush from 1967 to his collage days, military service, governorship of Texas and oil businesses, leading to his 2000 candidacy for president and the 2004 re-election campaign. The first screening starts 5 April at 6pm. Another film that will allow your to "peep into presidential backroom" as Kino Aero says on its website, is the Czech documentary Citizen Havel (5 April, 8:30pm). The admission is CZK 100, but all presidents get 50% off.

Posted by: laloomis | April 1, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It's over!
*sigh*

Posted by: Boko999 | April 1, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I meant to add that I think we should keep a few Boomers around in case the Van Allen Belt catches on fire or there's an incoming asteroid or something.

Ever notice that when you *really* need a lighter, you can't find it?

Seems to me that it can't hurt to keep Prometheus' Bic in our back pockets for awhile.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Is this kit meant to prepare us for our culinary future?

In other breaking news, 1993: Bill Clinton sworn in, Nirvana releases final studio album, Czechoslovakia splits into two nations.

Posted by: engelmann | April 1, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I know Boko. And that scroll-induced shoulder injury was just healing up.

Some time ago my wife's well-meaning grandmother bought our little dog a very expensive doggy bed. Of course, our dog refuses to use it, instead choosing to curl up and sleep on an old coat of my daughter's.

It has been suggested that our dog finds the familiar smell of the old coat comforting. Yet I still feel badly that this doggy bed goes unused. And my daughter absolutely refuses to wear it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

englemann - have you priced Fancy Feast lately. Way more expensive on a per-ounce basis than most people food.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Culinary future??

Must... control my... inner... Heston...

Savory Salmon Feast is people!!!!

*stuffing Chuck back in his box*

I beg your pardon.

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

bc, congrats to your eldest...A dozen! That may be the new record.

For journalism junkies, this is kind of interesting, Bill Keller reacting to a Vanity Fair story on the NYTimes:

Posted by: joelache | April 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

But, um, worth every penny on accounta that savory goodness!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

This is sort of related to the art discussion recently:

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

By all means, Loomis, let us pay close attention to what Krauthammer might think of Joel's theories on triad defense strategy. Pritheee, what do you think Krauthammer would have to say about Joel's notions about cat food? Condemnation of his callous disregard of mercury content, perhaps? His complete and utter lack of discrimination between farm-raised and free-range Snook? What is Krauthammer's position re: Coho, I wonder?

At any rate, the Boodle cannot have too much finely detailed post mortem analyses of recent Krauthammer columns.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"I know Boko. And that scroll-induced shoulder injury was just healing up."

I nominate RDP for Comment of the Day.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | April 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Joel - I think that Bill Keller is absolutely correct. If newspapers double-down on their commitment to those unique things that only they can do well, then they will survive.

In his own way I think Gene Weingarten made that point quite eloquently yesterday with regards to comics.

It really is a crisis of confidence.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting indeed, JA.

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

OK, slides are prepared... time for lunch then the next project!

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of indulging in puerile humor, I would point out to no one in particular (yellokjt) that Joel has used the phrase "pumpable meat" in the construction of this Kit. If you feel the need to riff on this self-indugent phrase, please do so in the privacy of your own homes. Unless it's really funny.

[bc's Warning and Legal Disclaimer: This comment may contain juvenile humor, adult references, possible bawdiness and general naughtiness in an attempt to amuse the writer of said comment and any readers who may share his sense of humor. If this comment causes some sort of discomfort or offense, the writer offers his most sincere and humble apologies and an adult beverage of your choice for medicinal purposes. No harm was intended by this comment, as the writer believes that there are health benefits to laughter even if he isn't particularly funny (except for his appearance), so please don't press that speed-dial button to your lawyer.
Thank you.

THIS COMMENT WAS MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES EGGS, NUTS AND OLIVE OIL.]

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing in Seattle! This is not an April Fool's joke. It probably won't stick, but still...I was going to head into the office to clean out my desk, but I may wait a bit.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 1, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Something I've noticed: to DC, pink is a flavor. There's orange, blueberry, grape, strawberry, cherry, and pink (which I know isn't bubblegum). Which leaves me thinking...do cats think there's salmon, tuna, and brown?

Posted by: LostInThought | April 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

LawyerS, 600 of 'em. At my beck and call.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Tinned can food. This is a memory I do not cherish. The scales and bits of skin floating in the Tuna Delight. The sections of blood vessels and other grisly bits of innards soaking in the Turkey Giblets in Gravy. There is nothing like the smell of a freshly opened can of Salmon Paté in the morning, before your first coffee. Start your cat on kibble and stick with it please so that these horrors can go away.

The Brits may be interested in some nuclear armament reduction. Their Vanguard subs are up for replacement and the cost of a new class of boomers is giving the vapours to the politicos. France just finished building their new class of big subs and they are getting their new big missiles next year, they might not be so hot. For the US it’s a political decision as the recently modernized Trident and their boomers are set until 2040.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joel.

I haven't checked the email this morning, so I don't know if there are any more acceptances coming in (including your alma mater).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

600!
"In my experience, Mother Superior as the prudish uptight kind of woman is only in the movies." Exactly LiT. Eyetalians and Irishian persons are not the only Catholics around; I've met a nun or 20 in my mostly Catholic education. They failed to convert me (well maybe Sister Fanny converted me to science!) but that’s not the point.

Mother Superiors and Mother Principals/”Mère Directrice” are however known to quickly and clearly speak their mind if they have a message to pass; I know that from personal experience. Yoki’s comment tone and content reminded me of these long forgotten master women.
If it was taken otherwise, I’m sorry.

I may also write about the 2 nuns of my own family later. They have studied and done things unthinkable (do not go there, you know who you are) for women born around 1900 in rural Quebec if they weren’t nuns. Lots of intelligent, ambitious woman became nun so that they could their lives as something other than a wife and mother.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Our host Joel is surely naïve
to think trolls of their own accord leave
so for scroll-induced pain
caused by avoiding Blog’s Bane
the Boodle endorses Aleve

Posted by: engelmann | April 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

SCC Hummm, there are many things missing but "live" their lives stands out.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Obama's Supine Diplomacy:

Not surprisingly, the Obama wobble [Eastern European missile defense] elicited a favorable reaction from Russia. (There are conflicting reports that Russia might suspend the Kaliningrad blackmail deployment.) The Kremlin must have been equally impressed that the other provocations -- Abkhazia, Kyrgyzstan, the rapid-reaction force -- elicited barely a peep from Washington.

I'll have to ask Krauthammer about Joel's opinions on cat food the next time I see him (Charles).

Posted by: laloomis | April 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I go to a meeting, come back, and post a petulant piece only to find everybody has moved on and not left me directions to the next party. I can play that game. I used to crash birthday parties in my childhood.

I'm not sure which is more tragic, that I had to crash them or that I bothered. But that is pretty far down the list of topics to share with my eventual therapist concerning my painful past.

And if we are slipping in product placements, that savory salmon sure would taste good pureed in a Bass-O-Matic:

Posted by: yellojkt | April 1, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

So well said SD, had a great aunt who was a nun, she set up and ran a hospital in a remote area of Northern Ontario. Incredible woman - lived to be over 100.

seasea, best wishes as you clean out your desk - must be a difficult day for you - wishing you much better days soon.

Posted by: dmd2 | April 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

My cat,old as he is still gets all excited anytime I open a can of anything.Plus he always is at my feet whenever I eat.He eats everything from Cheezits to grapes.The only thing he didn't eat was an orange.Not to mention that he lives in the woods,so there are birds,chipmunks and every little critter he can get his paws on.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | April 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard from Kbertocci since the day she lost her job?

Getting worried.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | April 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Engelmann!

Posted by: nellie4 | April 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy.

Gotta go sell some coffee.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sister Fanny taught chemistry and physics in 9th grade and she was a great teacher. Boys like me came to her school for the first time when the girls-only catholic school was converted to co-ed public school. She thought it was safe to leave the class&lab a few minutes with the main gas and compressed air valves on. She came back to Ali’s Open Pit Goat Roasting Den. Eventually, she learned that boys are more experimental in nature and need a little more surveillance if you want to limit the losses in the lab when playing with fire, chemicals or sharp instruments.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

s_d, LiT, dmd, Yoki, et. al, I'd meant to mention this earlier -- I, too, was raised Catholic and attended Parochial school until High School. I've never met a Mother Superior that didn't warrant promotion to that level of leadership, and if I ever was involved with something that required their attention (who? me?), I always found them to be wise, fair, and gracious (or is that Gracious?).

600 lawyers?
In the name of domestic tranquility, I'll refrain from the litany of jokes that would be the punchline to.

Yoki, dear, I live in DC.
Lawyers aren't scary to me. In fact, I can count some of them among my closest friends.

Plus, you can find 50,000 of them at any given Washington NFL Franchise home game.

Thank you.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

And from the Always Appropriate Humor Department:

Carlin and Cosby, two of my favorites, now back-to-back award winners! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Heh, heh, heh. bc said "nuts". Heh, heh, heh.

/Beavis voice

Posted by: yellojkt | April 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, Cosby! Another Temple grad makes good! (It's been such a loooooong time since Hall and Oates.)

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

And another question, LiT:

When did pink become a flavor and chocolate and coffee become colors?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 1, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

bc,
You are rightly proud of your spawn, That is quite an accomplishment. Twelve acceptances is an embarrassment of riches. At least in the metaphorical sense as opposed to the "pays the tuition" sense. As for this trend to paper the landscape with applications, I blame the Common App. When you had to fill out each application by hand and retype each essay on a new sheet, you thought twice about whether you really wanted to go to a place. Now it's all cut and paste and hit send. And ask dad for his credit card number for yet another non-refundable fee.

My son dropped one school from his wish list because they wanted three additional essays. He only batted .400 in the acceptance derby and ended up having to settle for the old man's trade school. Sounds like bc-dot has the world as her oyster. Lets hope you find some pearls.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

On March 28 1979 I was 120 miles away from TMI.

I was in Highschool, on a Wednesday.

Those were some scary days.

Some of the Chicken Littles amongst my friends were convinced we would start glowing and growing extra fingers any day.

Posted by: omnigood | April 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Given Joel's stated fondness for Stogies, the need for product placement revenue is starting to make more sense:

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

From today's WaPo food chat:

Wheaton, Md.: Hello,

Do you have any idea where I can find some authentic French Canadian poutine in the city?

Bonnie Benwick: While we wait for answers, maybe start with your own kitchen?

Poutine

4 side-dish servings

Poutine, a dish of french fries mixed with fresh cheese curds and topped with hot gravy, ranks high among Canada's best-loved foods. Its discovery is a matter of debate, but as one story goes, poutine was born in 1957 in rural Quebec. In one of those eureka moments, Fernand Lachance, "le pere de la poutine" ("the father of poutine"), threw the ingredients together at a friend's suggestion.

These days, poutine is on the menu at Burger King, and Saveur magazine recently named it one of its 100 favorite foods of the year.

Chef Anthony Walsh of Canoe Restaurant & Bar in Toronto, who offers the following recipe, has his own variations that always include the three basic elements of potatoes, curds and extraction of meat. One poutine features lobster and lobster bisque; another has a confit of lamb shoulder and long potato wedges; yet another features duck and bacon. He also does a breakfast poutine, including boiled eggs with big wads of cheddar and potatoes.

2 large Yukon Gold potatoes

2 medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme

1/3 cup olive oil

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup good-quality seasoned demi-glace (a rich sauce base; may substitute chicken gravy)

2 to 4 ounces crumbled sharp goat cheese, preferably Canadian

4 ounces warm duck confit, pulled apart (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet.

Scrub the potatoes well and cut into 1/4 -inch-thick batons. Toss them in a bowl with the garlic, thyme and oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring the potatoes once or twice to keep them from sticking, until they are crisp and nicely browned.

While the potatoes are roasting, bring the demi-glace to a boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan, stirring constantly. Adjust seasonings to taste. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.

Place the cheese and the duck confit, if using, in a large bowl. Add the roasted potatoes and toss to combine. Divide among individual plates and drizzle with the warm demi-glace. Serve warm.

Per serving, with 1 tablespoon demi-glace/gravy: 152 calories, 4 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 4 g saturated fat, 227 mg sodium, 1 g dietary fiber

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Pink became a flavour name when Pink became a famous singer.

sd, I take it that was the start of your career in Materials Testing: The Destructive Phase?

Posted by: --dr-- | April 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Our AP Chem teacher made the mistake of leaving us in the lab one day with a sub in charge. We found some sodium, a gallon of hydrochloric acid, and an enormous beaker. We discovered that hydrogen gas is lighter than air and creates a very loud popping sound when ignited. Amazingly, nothing other than our naivete was damaged.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

That's too fancy. Poutine is simple food: good french fries, squeaky-fresh cheese curds and any good hot brown gravy does the trick.

Duck confit, foie gras and truffles just ruined a good thing.

Well dr, I wasn't the worst offender as I have a strong sense of self-preservation. I wouldn't lit the gas outlet directed toward me for example. Others weren't so clever.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The front page has a photo of the Obama's towering over our little Queen. How cute!

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the kids call 'Nestle Quik Strawberry' 'Nestle Pink' as long ago as the mid 60's

Posted by: omnigood | April 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

At a family gathering recently my brothers spoke fondly of their chemistry set that they were given when young lads. In the days before childrens toys were extensively tested for safety - they managed have a lot of fun with that set. They had a great lab in the basement, in the enclosed space under the stairs.

Posted by: dmd2 | April 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I give up. Obamas, of course.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Towering over the Prince Consort, too.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, have I ever mentioned to you that your cute little queenie person is a dead ringer for my Aunt Barbara? True story.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I always did like QE2, even though I suspect she could never hit a three-point jumper from beyond the line.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be so sure, at least in her younger days. A formidable woman. She rides, she shoots, she golfs.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Obama's the 11th President she met as the Queen. (from Truman on and she met Roosevelt as a Princess)

Here's a video on the frontpage of the Times.

Clearly she is shrinking or the Presidents are getting taller.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

She's got Corgies.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

She's one wicked woman behind the wheel too.

Posted by: Boko999 | April 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the Obamas look truly delighted to meet the Queen. As we discussed when the Queen last visited America, many Americans are fascinated by her. Our relationship is much less complicated than those who live in the countries of the Commonwealth.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

All that experience driving ambulances. Ambuli.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Misus O looks very nice, too.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

In fact, Mrs. O looks almost...high school (in a complimentary way). Simple skirt and white blouse, dark plain sweater that almost looks like it needs one of those small gold "O" pins on it (do those have a name?).

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

We need CP!

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

CP, we need your commentary.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

That truly is a delightful photo of the First Couple and the Royal Couple. The shot of President & Mrs. Obama with Prime Minister & Mrs. Brown is somewhat less jarring, generation-wise.

omni, in late March 1979, I had the serendipity to have built a simluated reactor core for my middle school Science Fair project -- I set up resistors connected to wooden dowels to control the brightness of a lightbulb, crudely replicating how reactor power varied according to fuel rod and control rod positions.

I ended up having to try and explain the hydrogen bubble at TMI, much to my and my questioners' confusion. Some dweeb who built a scale model of a reactor (with much adult "supervision," I'm sure) ended up winning. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The picture of the Obamas with the Queen and her husband is interesting in that the Obamas simply *tower* over both of them -- the royals look like they belong on a charm bracelet. Very cute. You can kinda tell that Barack is saying to himself "how cool is this????".

I'm also happy that Bill Cosby is getting the Mark Twain prize. He so deserves it. I once (long ago) was able to see an HBO special of one of his shows. I remember laughing so hard I started to cry -- and that has *never* happened to me, before or since. He's a funny, funny guy.

It would be soooooo nice to stop coughing. Gonna go drown myself in more lemon tea.

As you *cough* were.....

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | April 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

On sleepless nights, I check Trip Advisor to see what advice the British experts on Orlando are proffering. Those serial tourists seem to know the theme parks and their surroundings better than Florida residents. Anyway, the other night, a Canadian was asking where to find cheese curds. To the best of my knowledge, no such thing is available in Florida. No poutine for us.

BC,
Best wishes with that surfeit of choice. I was dumb and willful enough not to apply to my dad's university, Penn. Looking back, I wonder what was going through my underdeveloped adolescent head.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor firsttimeblogger. Faxing you some of Yoki's Chicken Soup ™ and lots of sympathy.

Posted by: Yoki | April 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Circle pin - old school, or classic.

I've had an email from kbertocci. Hope she's doing ok, enjoying being unemployed for a bit.

I'll be doing much better once I'm done. Most of what I have to do desk-wise is schlep books and things I want to keep to my car. When I was having a bad day, Mr seasea said to me, think of it as a gift. Which it is, in many ways.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Ours is definitely the more complicated relationship, being the "failure to launch" younger brother even now still receiving some mail addressed "back home".

However, there may be some unresolved issues going on down there too. I offer the following indicia of a somewhat more complicated relationship than might be readily apparent:

1. "My country, 'tis of thee"
2. "Camelot"
3. the honorific title "Esquire"

Posted by: engelmann | April 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know, but I do know that Fancy Feast Savory Salmon Feast is making my tummy growl."

Lordy, Boss! You better get some lunch quick. If the smell of cat food makes you hungry, you're either VERY HUNGRY or your olfactory senses are kaput!

CowTown

Posted by: jp1954 | April 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, those 'O' pins were called circle pins. Legend had it that some girls carved notches in them to signify you know what.

Posted by: rickoshea0 | April 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwwww, thanks ever so Yoki. That's very sweet.

Damn post nasal drip!

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | April 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Florida poutine" got 30,300 hits on Google. Most of which probably from the Chicoutimi snowbirds desperately looking for a fix.

Posted by: engelmann | April 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think I recently heard those circle pins referred to as "purity pins." Is that true? It would go along with rickoshea's tawdry tale.

And Fancy Feast? Really? Is that the one Lauren Bacall shilled for?

Posted by: -TBG- | April 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info, Maggie. Back in our day, not very many girls you-know-whated, at least not in high school. The estimated number back then was only around 5 percent.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

OMG, BO gave QEII an iPod! How kewl is that?

Posted by: slyness | April 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, what was the percentage of boys?

Posted by: slyness | April 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

About the same. Although of course if you asked them in public, the response rate would have been approximately a hundred and nine percent.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey slyness -- wonder what kinda songs populated the iPod. *Imagining the boogie Queen dancing down the long hallways at the palace (or, the Palace)*.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | April 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What's a ship going to do with an iPod?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, I was part of a sodium HCL experiment in high school. The year before I was the teacher's pet in biology. The teacher was a late forties maid but during the summer break she got married and pregnant and was tapped to take over the chemistry teaching duties. She had demonstrated what a wee bit of sodium did in a beaker of water. She was having a terrible bout of morning sickness so she often left the lab after giving out the assignment. Well boys being boys one day when she had left me and my lab partners surmised a bigger piece of sodium in HCL would give a better display that the measly sparks she got with the water demo. She walked back into the room just as a nice big blossom of sparks went up accompanied with a nice mushroom shaped cloud. The only thing that kept us in school was one of my lab partners was the school star running back and Shasta High was 'Leader of the North.'

Posted by: bh72 | April 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to do a search for poutine, then.

Thinking of fancy feast for people, Ikea sells little bottles of refrigerated, pickled fish.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Ikea. It's what's for dinner.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Songs and video of her 2007 visit to the US, according to the story. Doesn't say what kind of songs.

Posted by: slyness | April 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

4:10. I think the clock on my computer is broken. I swear it feels like I've been here for 17 hours. Just one of those days.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"In return, the Queen, wearing a pink dress, gave the president a framed photo of herself and her husband, Prince Philip."

Remind me not to go to any gift exchanges with Her Majesty.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the queen was re-gifting.

Nah.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Prince Philip is turning into a seriously ugly old guy.
The Queen is turning into her mother, the much beloved Queen Mum.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, the Duke is almost 88, he's entitled to look a little old.

Posted by: slyness | April 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Prince Phillip was a tall guy but next to the Obamas, he looks so very small.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | April 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The chintzy frames were revenge for giving the Brown kids cheap gift shop models of Marine One.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that anyone dining with the Queen would be served a pretty... wait for it...

Fancy Feast.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I did take chemistry in high school, but the only thing we did in the lab was melt glass tubes into lab type tubes. The school population was just too high and I think they ran out of money. We did all the cool stuff in Physics.

We stretched a super slinky like spring as far as it would go and let it fly. We played with waves. I have no idea what I was supposed to be learning anymore, and I am not so sure I did then either. Experimentation was not, in general, encouraged.

Posted by: --dr-- | April 1, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

TBG won the comment of the week!

Posted by: rickoshea0 | April 1, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

On kit, to boot!

Posted by: rickoshea0 | April 1, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice one TBG.

Posted by: --dr-- | April 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Although it is way cool that Obama gave The Queen an iPod, I heard that it contained nothing but Sex Pistols.

This is most unfortunate because everyone knows that her Majesty is much more into early Clash.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 1, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The future of news

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 1, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, just FYI, the Peters family funeral was today to a packed church in Ward 5 (Brookland/Michigan Park/Woodridge) of DC. Very sad, according to friends who attended. Thought you would want to know.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

New kit. I posted, treacherously.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that TBG, I've got to clean up my keyboard now since I was trying to drink some water when I read your post.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | April 1, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I posted thrice. Thrisherously.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse