My Colleague, the Pirate

More sniping: I keep hearing references to the pirates and their "colleagues." For example, here's a story from CBS/AP: "Somali pirates, meanwhile, vowed retaliation for the deaths of three colleagues killed by U.S. Navy snipers in the rescue." And the AP writes, "Officials said other pirates sought to reinforce their colleagues ..."

Colleagues???

Why do I have trouble picturing these pirates introducing each other as "my colleague"?

Words are odd things: Languages evolve, and definitions tend to be somewhat provisional, subject to regional variations, the inflections of dialect, and so on. But here in my cubicle a pirate doesn't have a "colleague," he has a "comrade."

Or an "ally."

You might even go with "fellow pirate" or "countryman." The pirates might be upset about what happened to their "brethren." They might protest what happened to the "other outlaws." Or their "mates." But if you're a pirate you no sooner have a "colleague" than you have a 401k.

The definition of "colleague" in the dictionary to my left is, "a fellow worker in the same profession; associate." To my ear that does not encompass the relationship of those who labor in the field of piracy. The key word here is "worker." No doubt piracy involves strenuous effort, and much breaking of a sweat, and perhaps some very long hours. But I'm pretty sure piracy is the opposite of what we mean by working.

Put it this way: You can't claim to be the "colleague" of someone unless you can both, potentially, be threatened with layoffs.

By Joel Achenbach  |  April 14, 2009; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Random Sniping
Next: How I'm Rescuing the Economy

Comments

"...and when you're a professional pirate...you don't have to wear a suit..."

Posted by: -jack- | April 14, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think I much prefer "copirationist."

Although "dubloon-challenged" might also be appropriate.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

SCC: *the* dubloon-challenged.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Crewmen" is passably gangsterish but "mates" works, and even better across the pond.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 14, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Finished the taxes. Having once owned my own business, this was a piece of cake. This unemployment check will be devoted to paying the state. I managed to pay off their colleagues in the IRS sufficiently earlier in the year.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 14, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

This is funny the way some language in court is funny. A witness describing a foul beating, when asked whether the perp was in court, said "that gentleman over there" and pointed at the defenndant. Gentleman?

Posted by: Yoki | April 14, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Here, at least, opposing counsel are traditionally referred to in court as “my friend” (or “my learned friend” if of advanced years). One’s own team are usually "colleagues". I was in court in February and a new lawyer with me referred to me as her friend (knowing the tradition, but not the usage). I let it pass, but later had to point out that we’re colleagues and friends, but not “friends”.

I think next time I’ll just go with "fellow pirate".

Posted by: engelmann | April 14, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Will they get promoted from mate to inmate? How's 'defendant'? Maybe 'survivor'?

Posted by: LostInThought | April 14, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Freelance maritime entrepreneur.

At-will seafaring enterprise opportunity facilitator.

Pluckaneer.

Offshore acquisitions specialist.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I assume that at some point, the pirates were presented with the options "(a) Surrender, be charged as criminals, and live; or (b) do anything else, and die." Was there a language barrier, or did they just choose to imagine a Third Way, one that involved survival in a state of freedom?

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Ransommelier.

Purina SEAL chow.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Being laid off as a pirate tends to be rather more final than in the on-shore business world, unless one is an excellent long-distance swimmer with an aroma unpleasant to even the least-discerning shark.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Coastwise assets default swap manager.

Sandlubbers.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Like that, LIT--mate to inmate.

I like the word cohort. Sounds more sinister.

However, what I'd really like is a job. But not a pirate job. Doubt there'd be any severance.

Back to studying stuff I'm not particularly fond of. The sacrifices we must make. Sigh...

Posted by: Windy3 | April 14, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

No,no, Windy3! There's lots of severing in the pirate business!

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Suggested title for the upcoming movie of the incident: "The Man in the Iron Maersk." (Lobby poster tagline: "Who was that Maersked Man?")

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | April 14, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, the opposing counsel may have opposed to "Yes your Honour; the murderous bastard is sitting in the accused box"

About ten years ago a bright light up in gunmint decided that all communications from the gunmint would treat the other party as a "client". The judicial, penal and regulatory organizations rebelled, saying they much preferred the more common terms the Accused, the Defendant or the Inmate.

Shipknapper?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 14, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

ScienceTim, True, but too cutthroat for me.

I must go back and determine the float time for activity E on the critical path.

So much more fun than being a pirate on the high sea.

Posted by: Windy3 | April 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Brotherhood of Qat? (pronounced cot)

Posted by: laloomis | April 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd simply settle for "my partners in crime". And we should probably go with the old directive "no quarter given; none asked."

Posted by: ebtnut | April 14, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Totally off topic but to those lamenting red cedar a few days ago, here is a particularly nice use for the tree.

It's snowing here today so I have an excuse to sit in front of the computer instead of moving the five yards of topsoil/compost delivered a couple days ago around to the back of the house to the raised vegge/flower beds. Still to much risk of freeze to plant. In fact the weather service has issued a frost warning in the banana belt for the next few mornings.

Posted by: bh72 | April 14, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Mudge.

//You can't claim to be the "colleague" of someone unless you can both, potentially, be threatened with layoffs. //
Sounds like pirates = heads of many financial institutions.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 14, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

A fellow pirate overboard is a chum.

Posted by: engelmann | April 14, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Channeling back to the previous kit (even if off-topic) -- the Tigers in the 50s were wonderful. We had Al Kaline, Harvey Kuehn, Paul Foytack, Jim Bunning (and now, I have to take a disinfectant shower), Charley Maxwell out in left field (he was called "the Southpaw from Paw Paw" -- I've been in Paw Paw a number of times. It's not far from Kalamazoo in the western part of the state, closer to Chicago). When I was maybe 7 or 8, our elementary school class went to see a game, and we were put in the left field stands (and not up in the nosebleed bleachers, either -- up close to the fence). I remember a sliding catch that Charley Maxwell made right in front of me. I remember it as if it were yesterday (oh, wait. . . .).

I think the Tigers will do fine this year. I don't expect the Pistons to make it out of the first playoff round. After all, we're headed into the Cleveland buzz machine. I wouldn't be surprised if they cleaned our clock in four-straight.

And, ahhhh, the Red Wings. Now, I know we're mostly family here, so if by some stretch of the imagination my guys do not bring Stanley home for the second straight year, do be kind. . . . .

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | April 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

According to Eric Margolis at the Huffington Post last November, the pirates do have regular work...so, you see, they are workers, no?

"They are 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and cute little Johnny Depps they are not. Somalia's pirates tote AK-47's and RPG rockets, chew the narcotic shrub qat, use satellite cell phones for their negotiations, and are just about the only people in strife-ravaged Somalia these days who have a regular job."

Did we really do this, as Margolis claims?

"Under cover of the Christmas holiday in December, 2006, the U.S. and its regional ally Ethiopia invaded Somalia and overthrew its government. A new puppet government, supported by Ethiopian troops, claimed to run the country. National resistance against the U.S.-Ethiopian invasion began immediately and continues to this day. Meanwhile, millions of Somalis were left to starve."

Posted by: laloomis | April 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to an audio-book about Captain Morgan. (It turns out he was a real dude and not just an imaginary shill for rum.) Anyway, based upon this I think the proper term would be "peeps."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 14, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I just heard last night that a friend has purchased a Tesla. I wonder how many cookies it would take to bribe him into letting me borrow it? After all, he may not be able to afford cookies any more.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Gettleman of the International Herald Tribune (NYT) certainly did a lot of reporting about the U.S./Ethipian invasion of Somali in December 2006, a quick search of the archives shows.

CIA seems to have its fingers everywhere, doesn't it?

Posted by: laloomis | April 14, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

What blows me away about the four pirates who got our attention last week is their age: all in their late teens. If this isn't incentive to do something about the failed state of Somalia, what will be?

Posted by: slyness | April 14, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Uh, fellow pirates are "mates". And I mean that in the best one-gold-earring, leather-hot-pants-wearing, roller-skating Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence way possible.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 14, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

You mean mateys, yello.

And dbG, I agree with your and Mudge's reasonings.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 14, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

This kit calls for some Buffett live from Nissan Pavilion:

Posted by: yellojkt | April 14, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this will turn attention to piracy in the Caribbean...take up the issue in our own back yard. Flex the strategic thinking muscles on an easier chess board before taking up a game with higher stakes. But maybe there's some sort of bar that needs to be met...does it only count as piracy if the boat is involved in legitimate international trade? What about some retiree's pleasure boat? (Ironically, the end game on that piracy is *illegal* international trade. And then it counts, but not in chess. Stratego.)

Posted by: LostInThought | April 14, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Freelance Preventive Salvage Agents

Posted by: Yoki | April 14, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Independent Navigation Consultants
Somolian Tourism Agency Outreach Volunteers
Logistic Distribution Randomizers
Anarchist Free Trade Evangelists

Posted by: yellojkt | April 14, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Colleagues? Is there honor amongst these thieves?
Hmm.

Co-swashbucklers? No...
PicaroonPal?
BootyBuddy (oh, boy...)? Probably not...
Aquatic Mercenarial Partner?
Buccabuddy?
Buccassociate?
CorsairPair?
BrigandBuddy?
Bobbin'Robber?
PlankwalkPal?

Or in these cases, Targets 1, 2, 3, etc... (yeesh).

I'd speculated on Sunday if and how the Administration was going to ramp-up anti-piracy efforts, didn't stop to consider the idea of enhanced enforcement and engagement along the North, Central, or South American coastlines as a prelude to a wider-ranging effort. Interesting idea, LiT.

*Tim, the Lotus-based Tesla Roadster is cool and if you get to borrow it, I'd love to hear about it (might borrow my buddy's Viper GTS for laughs as a counterpoint). Good idea to check one out before you put a deposit down on a new 2011 Tesla Model S sedan, which I think could be right up your alley.

Providing the company stays solvent long enough to produce them, that is.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 14, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

As of tomorrow, you can call me "employed."

It's all I've ever aspired to be.

Whew!

Posted by: KBoom | April 14, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, KBoom! Our first anecdotal boodle evidence of the economy recovering.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 14, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

WooHoo, Kboom! I'm assuming that's a job that doesn't require relocation?

My taxes are done, the federal is e-filed, the state ready for an envelope (I'm not paying $19.95 to e-file for NO state refund). The software rebate has been e-filed and the lobster tail was delicious.

But considering the time it took me to do the taxes, totally insufficient reward.

Oh wait, there's that federal refund thingie.

Off to bed. 'Night, Boodle.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 14, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Kboom! That must be a great feeling.

I'm so glad my taxes were filed months ago (and the refund already spent). I had a very rude awakening many years ago when I procrastinated and found out on Apr 14 that I owed money, which I did not have. Never want to be in that situation again. I could never be a pirate. Or even a colleague of a pirate.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 14, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful news, KBoom! I hope it works out well for you!

Posted by: slyness | April 14, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations KBoom.

Posted by: dmd2 | April 14, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Yay! KBoom gots a job! So, spill.

Posted by: Yoki | April 14, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay ... it's only a temporary, contract job, but it's still a freakin' job! ! ! Paralegal work on a great, big-ole case. A chance to dip the toes back into the legal waters after a 12-year absence.

I'm so excited! It'll be great to work with lawyers again ... people who aren't intimidated if you have an idea before they do. My last boss sat on me so hard I thought my ribs would break. (Being even a tiny bit smart and forward-thinking is a profound hindrance to a banking career ... as if you couldn't tell from the headlines.) I've been barking mad from boredom these past weeks, and am sooo looking forward to good, old-fashioned hard work!

Posted by: KBoom | April 14, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

bc, thanks for cluing me in to the Tesla sedan. Now I know how long I have to wait until we replace the mini-van...

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Congrats from me too KBoom! Good news. I may be joining the ranks of the un- or under-employed soon. My boss just asked me to figure out how to "justify" my full-time position. Sigh.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | April 14, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Go, Susan Boyle, go!

Posted by: laloomis | April 14, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh jeez, MotP, not fun. If we can help, let us know.

Geekdottir just left. She came bearing gifts, ice cream for Mr. T, Ghiradelli for me. This is a good kid. I was on the phohe with her sister, who was worried that she wasn't answering her cell phone, so the timing was good. It was an issue because she was driving home from Alabama. It tickles me how the two of them watch over and out for each other.

Posted by: slyness | April 14, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I have watched that Susan Boyle video several times today - it would have been Moms birthday today so between that video and the video in the Train station in Antwerp I have been sobbing throughout the day - but in a good way.

MotP - hoping the best for you.

Posted by: dmd2 | April 14, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Slyness I appreciate the support. I am thinking that there may be a way to change my job so both the organization and I come out of it decently satisfied. I'm going to stay optimistic for now.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | April 14, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to you too dmd.

I watched Susan Boyle too. She was amazing. I hope someone gives that woman an official singing gig!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | April 14, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

One of the papers up here is reporting Simon Cowell has already offered her a contract.

Love the song she sang as well - hard to go wrong with any Les Mis song in my opinion.

Posted by: dmd2 | April 14, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Hearty congratulations to KBoom. I also find myself pathetically grateful for this phrase: "It'll be great to work with lawyers again. . ." We just don't see that nearly enough.

I meant to say earlier, all your pirate nomenclature had me rolling, beginning with Mudge. Too too funny.

I am still sick, finishing preparing class for tomorrow (can't cancel it). In order to find some paperwork Ivansdad needed for the taxes (we know we'll owe so he waited), I spent over an hour filing stacks of unfiled documents. Bad, bad Ivansclan. Never again.

In lagomorph news, Beatrice has taken to occasionally knocking books off shelves, and not to eat. I tell her it is no use. She is a rabbit and cannot read.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 14, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Short drive-by as I can’t sit upright very long (the back is coming along but it doesn’t like sitting). Great Kit and Boodle suggestions for pirates. The Susan Boyle video brought me close to tears. What a gorgeous voice! Congratulations KBoom, great news. Sorry you’re still not feeling better Ivansmom. I got my Federal tax refund check yesterday, it was very nice and some will be used to stimulate the economy of Nova Scotia this summer. I made it thru’ work today until 2:00, I hope do a full day tomorrow.

Posted by: badsneakers | April 14, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

So long, and thanks for all the books!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | April 14, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, y'all. Appreciate the good thoughts and the patience with my mewling of late. MotP ... I've got my fingers crossed, I'm saying prayers and thinking good thoughts for ya ... the works!

Posted by: KBoom | April 14, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Where you going, DNA_Girl? What books? I'm so confused.

Love that Les Miz song...she sang it so well.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 14, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Working on TurboTax. Wine helps. At the moment, things look bad. Big check owed to Fed Gunmint. BUT! I am just starting the wonderful world of deductions. I anticipate big changes ahead...

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

That is one seriously beautiful voice. I hope she is successful. I'd buy anything she records.

Posted by: slyness | April 14, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

You are welcome.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 14, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that takes care of the mortgage interest deductions. Looking much better. Time to deal with all my bleeding-heart charitable donations and so forth.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Great news KBoom. I may end up with a contract job too .. beats not working.

Badsneakers, I am glad your back is beter.

We'll be writing checks tomorrow. @#$%^&*

Posted by: Windy3 | April 14, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Good luck ScienceTim.

Posted by: Windy3 | April 14, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

KBoom, congrats.

As much as I grumbled about doing my taxes last week, I am glad to be done with them.

If I'd have waited this long, I'd be filing an extension instead of a return.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 14, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I used Free Fillable Forms to file electronically for the first time. Seemingly worked pretty well, although I wonder about filling in the fake W2 form.

Which brings up an adventure from pre-electronics days. Copies of a fresh Federal Register document had to be distributed, pronto, but on our one and only printed copy, the first page was terribly smudged. So I fussed with WordPerfect's layout and font options and typed the page's entire text (using a manuscript for help with the really bad parts), and contrived a plausible replica of that page.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 14, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Shift 5 Five! Check the codes.

Posted by: Yoki | April 14, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Looking good! Paying vast amounts of mortgage interest finally pays off!

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 14, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

hi, y'all. mailed my taxes this afternoon. whew. usually don't put them off that long.

that susan boyle video is something else. very uplifting and fun to see the total suprise factor.

Posted by: LALurker | April 15, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Federal is e-Filed. MD will be printed and mailed tomorrow (I am too dang cheap to pay for $20 for the honor of avoiding a couple stamps and an envelope and saving them time and money, too).

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 15, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Sign me up for the group that is too cheap to pay for more than a stamp to mail in my state taxes. It'll hit the mailbox today.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 15, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

And the vacation photos keep coming. Today it's Venice:

And I had so many pictures of gondolas and gondoliers I put them in a separate group. It's Gondolamania:

And finally, the before and after comparison:

Damn, I looked studly in 1984.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 15, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Happy Ides of April. (Wikipedia thinks the Ides were two days ago, I don't know why.)

The Post editorial on Obama has me fuming. And I haven't even read Marcus or meyerson yet, and you know I'm not gonna read Gerson or Parker.

Time for

******************
Today in Nautical and Aviation History

April 15, 1912: At 2:27 a.m. the Titanic sinks, taking 1,513 of the 2,224 passengers and crew with her. Because she is “unsinkable,” there are only enough lifeboats for 1,178 people.
1952: Boeing test pilot A.M. “Tex” Johnson pilots the maiden test flight of the B-52 Stratofortress bomber at Boeing’s Seattle airport. Fifty-seven years later, the B-52 “Buff” (the acronym cannot be spelled out in a family newspaper) is still the primary bomber in the Air Force inventory. It is one of six types of aircraft that have been in service for more than half a century (along with the British Canberra, the Russian Tupolev Tu-95, and the U.S. C-130 Hercules, the KC-135 Stratotanker, and the U-2 spy plane.
*********************

Yes, this is the day Leo DiCaprio went under, while Kate clutched that stupid necklance and whatshername sang that song.

I'm slowly deducing who this Susan Boyle person is.

I smell coffee wafting from the Ready Room, and undoubtedly something slyness has put out. Let's go, Dawn Patrol.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | April 15, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

I decided on a change today, Mudge, so it's croissant sandwiches with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese. A heart attack in waiting, but oh so good.

It's gonna be a busy day, so I'm going to get started shortly. Hey, I'm retired, I shouldn't have this much to do in one day! And between the meeting this morning and stuff at church tonight, I have to make muffins for Mr. T because he ate the last ones for breakfast. Oh well...no complaints, it's good not to be bored.

Blessings on all who are finishing taxes today. We're still waiting on our state refund; because of the budget crisis, NC Dept of Revenue has been delaying payments. They're not paying interest, either. I'm just delighted to be getting a refund. That hasn't happened in several years.

Onward...

Posted by: slyness | April 15, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

and upward.

In the spam is nestled a pome of an email. Some days are so fine.

Still rainy here, which is very good for the soil. I have a tiny and exquisite bluebell nestled in the root crotch of the white oak in my side yark. And, best of all, a tiny slip of a Daphne blooms. I bought her at community plant sale two years ago. Her name is "Carol Mackie."

Kboom, GOOD. MotP. Sigh. Perhaps what you tell your boss will be cover for the keeping of you. I am now 3/4 time, which beats no time or 1/2 time.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 15, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, just caught up on the kit and am still snickering... add in there bc's multi-syllabic snickers.

MotP, I guess that it makes sense that one's boss asks you to justify why you are there, especially of their boss is asking for same.

I guess he won't include passage as follows:

Maintains complete corporate knowledge of group when boss is let go. Capable of completing said bosses tasks in half the time.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 15, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

cQp, you are in charge of getting my fingers to type correctly. Mind still unplugged. I knew I should have plugged the mind into the outlet that has both the surge protector and power backup.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 15, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Having a hard time getting into the swing of things today I fear.

I thought the Susan Boyle thing was delightful, but I have sort of a contrary take on it. What if this woman had not been a good singer? Would that have, in some way, demeaned her value as a person?

What I mean is, at first she presented as an object of fun, but now she is treated with respect because she has a pretty voice. Is this right? The take away message to me seems to be that it's only okay to be frumpy and a little slow so long as you have some secret talent.

I dunno. This is part of why I avoid watching such programs.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 15, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

This talk of income taxes reminds me of why I think these "Tea Parties" are so phony.

First of all, middle-class tax rates are no higher than they ever were, so the notion that these are a grass-roots phenomena from the common people objecting to the boot of taxation - yada yada yada - is clearly hokey.

These are politically motivated rallies that are exploiting a bogus issue as cover

I mean, it is my guess that most of the "common people" are not really concerned about paying income taxes at this point.

Heck, the lucky people are the ones who have to pay income taxes, because, you know, they are the ones who have income.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 15, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

RD,
teabagging, as THEY call it, is all Astroturf. (phony grassroots movement). FOX is picking up tons of money to promote it. 26 percenters are the only ones who may be taken by it.

Big money is pushing this. Our buddy Dick Armey, bless his tiny little soul, is a ring-leader in the funding.

In reality, we should have restored the Clinton era tax rates for the very rich. There is an opportunity cost, in my book, to making a killing on the USA--you pay more tax.

Clearly, if the uber-rich can run millions into a PR campaign, then they can afford a higher tax rate.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 15, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

BTW, RD, Countdown did a really funny segment on it, pardon the commercial, ...

Not to viewer, Glenn Beck DOES NOT cry during the clips.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 15, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

A couple of quick reobservations of the Kit and Boodle:

"Put it this way: You can't claim to be the 'colleague' of someone unless you can both, potentially, be threatened with layoffs."

*Tim and others raised the 'swimming for it' aspect, but I'd ask the question - do sniper bullets count in this regard?

"But if you're a pirate you no sooner have a 'colleague' than you have a 401k."

Perhaps, but couldn't a case be made that the last 10 years of piratical booty may be worth more than the value of the typical Americans' 401k over the same period? And which one would you be able to retire on right now? I know, I know - "Give me the booty! I'm makin' the call!"

And we'll all sleep better afterwards.

yellojkt, keep the Italian Spring Break Road Trip pics coming, they're great.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 15, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention that there is the John Waters 'Pecker' meaning to teabagging, so the twelve-year-old in me starts giggling every time the topic gets mentioned. But you knew that already.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 15, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

russianthistle, good heavens -- please do not use the word "teabagging" in the Boodle while I'm drinking coffee.

A French Roast tsunami just swamped my laptop.

Still, I'm not surprised that FOX News and the conservatives are making lots of money from it.

Or the political stuff, either.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 15, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

A new kit filled with humor and dark fiduciary angst is here!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 15, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I thought of that too YJ. *Someone* in charge must have known that. It must be on purpose. They really didn't need to go with the whole Tea Party theme either, since that was about taxation without representation. Unless there's a rabbit who's running late and a weed-smoking caterpillar who talks in circles.

Posted by: LostInThought | April 15, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow has a similarly funny and informative piece on the GOP policy "meat" to replace the "party of NO" label ... Dr. Jared Bernstein is in the segment.

Berstein makes the point that I have made in the past that the GOP is lost it. The Fairy Tales that trickle down works or deregulation was a good idea.

Rachel and Bernstein follow up that the ideas are even more likely to come from Obama's left than the right side... republicans.

My theory is that there are really 20 to 25% of the population that is to the left of the President. There are about 50% in the middle who have no problem with the President or a good liberal Republican and then 20 to 25% to the right which is now fractured into Libertarians and One-Issue voters of all stripes and mix of John Birchers and what I might just lump together as the "Haters."

Posted by: russianthistle | April 15, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse