Mark Sanford's Sin of Overwriting

It's bad enough that Mark Sanford skedaddles off to an adulterous tryst in Argentina, but now we learn, via emails published in The State newspaper, that Sanford is also guilty of the sin of overwriting. This we cannot forgive:

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty. I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light - but hey, that would be going into sexual details .... "

He is channeling his inner schoolboy. Some politicians pander, but this one pants, grunts, wheezes, while recycling stale phrases that he's probably used so many times in so many come-on e-mails that he's programmed them on the F9 key. The reference to the night's light is meant to scream SENSITIVE, even as he has only one (or two) things on his mind. Then he kills the mood by going "meta" at the end.

Here we see the problem: These guys need speechwriters who can work the night shift pounding out heavy-breathing e-mails. It's just so sad to see them fend for themselves. And then being forced to confess the adultery, the deceit and the betrayal AND the typos.

Update: Can someone out there explain what it is, exactly, that Sanford is describing in the following email passage:

"I went out and ran the excavator with lights until the sun came up. To me, and I suspect no one else on earth, there is something wonderful about listening to country music playing in the cab, air conditioner running, the hum of a huge diesel engine in the back ground, the tranquillity that comes with being in a virtual wilderness of trees and marsh, the day breaking and vibrant pink coming alive in the morning clouds - and getting to build something with each scoop of dirt."

I think he's digging a hole. (And he needs to stop digging.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 24, 2009; 5:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Red Line
Next: The Love-Drunk Governor

Comments

Ewwww.

reposting from last Boodle:

This is a statement from Sanford's wife:

which I think is quite dignified and appropriate. I wish she was kicking him to the curb, though. Once again, I'm more impressed with a politician's wife than with him (although I know next to nothing about her...or him...but he's seemed a bit off the rails, with refusing the stimulus money, etc...no?).

Posted by: seasea1 | June 24, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

You can't make this stuff up, can you? I love the going "meta" part.

Posted by: Kim1 | June 24, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

No one has posted because we could never equal the governor's prose and we have vowed to never write again.

Posted by: nellie4 | June 24, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Sanford's writing style reminds me of that guy who wrote "Bridges of Madison County".

Double Ewwwwwww!

Posted by: Kim1 | June 24, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Yup, Mrs. Sanford has all the class. It always happens that way, doesn't it?

Yes, Joel, he was digging, if not a hole, a ditch with the excavator. A fancy excavator, you notice, with a closed cab and AC and a radio.

Posted by: slyness | June 24, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
Back in west by god for a couple of days,heading to the river to see what's biting(besides the mosquitos).I have some deet so I should be alright.

How about them US Soccer boys!!! Knocking off undefeated and #1 Spain in their current tourney.Pretty shocking if ya ask me.

From a previous kit a little Floyd for the Far side of the moon

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 24, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

This is very unfortunate. I believe I will avert my eyes.

Posted by: kbertocci | June 24, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

No details on the excavator either, what a gip!
Cat? Case? What kind of track? C'mon man!

Posted by: Buddy999 | June 24, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, perhaps my own the long buried missives on the pure rush of standing in hot refuel, the exhaust of twin GE engines pinning a form fitting flight suit against my (much younger) body like water at a wet t-shirt contest are worthy of reappraisal. Nomex is one of the sexier fabrics you know. I don't know Mrs. Sanford at all, but walking away from that excavator would be tough.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Cleaning iced tea off the keyboard. Hay~ Thd wrunk leyyerz aee showung upp~

Posted by: -dbG- | June 24, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

New backhoes all come with enclosed cabs and AC. As a connoissor of 'h0es the good governor made a good choice in excavators.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 24, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

SCC: my own long (not "my own the long")

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Was he going to bring the excavator on the Appalachian Trail?

Posted by: dmd2 | June 24, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Obama leaves "Dreams of my Father" behind him. Sanford leaves "My special friend the excavator".

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 24, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Kber, you are ever the wise woman.

The jokes are hilarious, however.

Posted by: slyness | June 24, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Frosty - I shall never, ever, think of flame retardant fiber in the same way.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 24, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

So, there's an excavator pumping out all that pollution, there's an excavator that's *air conditioned* fer god's sake, which seems to me to signify that Sanford is a real true blue elitist -- I mean a *real* excavator driver would be able to take the heat. And he prefers not only country music (I bet s***-kicking country music) and not only country music, but country music of the highest decibel variety.

What a jerk!

I read his wife's statement, but man, what a martyr! Again, as I posted in the previous kit, she oughtta take him down to the clinic for everyone to see him take an AIDs test. And she should have one done, too. She doesn't know where, *ahem* "it's" been.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna settle into a nice evening watching SYTYCD. You too, frosti?

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 24, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

While I am brimming over with schadenfreude and thoroughly enjoying Sanford's fall from grace, I concur with a blog opinion I read by Alec Baldwin on the Huffington Post. This might be the time for liberals (of which I are one!) to just keep quiet. We sure hated it when they went after Clinton. We said over and over that, in Europe, where they're more sophisticated, people watch the politicians' job performances, not their love lives. Of course, Clinton at least stayed on the job during the Lewinsky moments!

I know, I know, it's the hypocracy that really takes the cake.

Posted by: novelera | June 24, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, he writes more convincingly about the machine than he does about the woman.

Posted by: -pj- | June 24, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Sanford Tango

They think I’m hiking
but you’re so striking
that I think that, I’ll just fly down, to see you

And while you kiss me
If people miss me,
my good staff will, I sure hope will, take their cue

Posted by: engelmann | June 24, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Sanford was obviously visited by aliens. His use of the excavator at odd hours was a subconscious attempt at replicating Devil's Tower.

Posted by: -jack- | June 24, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Nomex doesn't breath well though, so in the summer I would zip down my monkey suit down to the navel to let my glistening chest cool down by evaporation.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 24, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Just saw a bit of Sanford’s news conference and I believe that he is still in love with the other woman. I wouldn’t bet on the success of a reconciliation with his wife. I read her statement and altho’ my heart goes out to her, she needs to get a clue and dump him. I second ftb’s suggestion about the clinic. I actually did that myself at the end of my marriage.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

ftb-shall we share a bottle of wine for SYTYCD? I have what looks like a promising Merlot.

I just want to declare the END OF MY PEONIES ENVY!! A gorgeous full white double bomb with just a blush of pink on the petal edges is visible from the kitchen window. Heaven.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Yay frosti!

My Shasta daisies have been lovely this year, and the purple coneflowers are blooming beautifully. The daylilies are putting on a show, too.

AND I harvested three squashes this evening!

Posted by: slyness | June 24, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely, frosti. And peonies! I just love them. My mom grew them when I was younger (ok, MUCH younger!), but would never take the blooms into the house, because of the ants which seem to be instrumental in opening those gorgeous blooms.

Oops! It's starting! Gotta go!

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 24, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching too, ftb, frosti.

As for Sanford, if he's going to write like that, he might as well stick with "Roses are red, violets are blue..."

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I think they judged that first couple rather harshly. I haven't picked a favorite yet, but I like them together.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Badsneakers, he may still fancy Maria, but that excavator is obviously a heartbreaker as well as a groundbreaker.

I want a picture of that hunky, well-greased machine. Joel?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 24, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Was Sanford filling a wetland? If so, did he have a permit?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 24, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, most e-mails are kind of overwritten as they're unrevised first drafts.
I would totally hate for some of my e-mails to be held up as an example of my writing.

Sometimes I'm so out of it I'm barely able to pound two rocks together, never mind verbal embroidering.

But those are examples of overwriting so great that they should be teaching tools.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 24, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Put those words to music and you'd have an American Idol Treacle Tune.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Ruh roh. I killed it.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

This is only part of the emails though.. they have all of the emails downloadable over at http://jjpeg.com/file2018451.html if you want to see them, but WARNING: they're *really* cheesy haha

Posted by: karenakarson | June 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

full white double bombs
petals blushed with pink edges
fan flames of desire
for buenos minnesota
I now have peonies envy

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Very nice, DNA_Girl. I'm envious of frosti's peonies. I need to find a good spot for some.

karenakarson, welcome and thanks for the link. I don't think I need to see any more, though. Rachel Maddow interviewed Gina Smith, the reporter who greeted Sanford at the airport. She said she wasn't sure who had sent the emails to the newspaper, and said she hadn't been aware of them since December, but for a shorter time.

Anybody going to watch Obama's health care town hall? This has kind of knocked that out of the news...

Posted by: seasea1 | June 24, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Joel. Making lame jokes is no way to go through life. So Sanford made a fool of himself in public, big woop. I can't offer him much sympathy, but at least I'm not milking it and neither are about a million other people. But you.... crack wise on it. Wow, that's funny stuff, dude. Please, make sure you tell us some fart jokes later. Can't wait.

Posted by: rburke30 | June 24, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Not much biting at the river,just a dozen small fish.I did see where the beavers were living.They eyed me up as I floated by and it was funny cause i heard a smack as approached their home,but didn't think anything of it till i saw them buggers.

I sat at the river and watched and listened as the night crept on.Plenty of peepers and it almost sounded like they were saying "freak freeeeeeak". Then a bull frog chimed in and they all shut up.This went on for 2 or 3 times before I finally left. A beautiful crescent moon was setting in the west as I drove up the mountain.

This sure beats the Beltway and the lights of the big city.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 24, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh please, rburke30. Sanford's behavior, as a GOVENOR, was sensational. Not to write about it is impossible. Give your sympathies to the gov. Wait til the late shows come on tonight. Actually, I can't wait.

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

SYTCYCD boodlers-so, what's the deal when dancers get stuck with stinker choices by the choreographer? I found myself really liking Mia Michaels' number. Surprising because she creeps me out. I also liked the last one, but will the Broadway vibe kill them? I just might have to pick up the phone?

rburke30-wait no longer.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

OK, ftb and frosti--who were your favorites? I liked Melissa and Ade's (rhumba. She absolutely exquisite and he shows her off well. I also liked Randi and Evan (the butt-fixation routine). On the other hand, I didn't like the Viennese waltz as much as the judges did.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

DNA_girl and seasea- I will endeavor to insure my peonies are worthy of your envy.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

DNA_girl--loved the ode to peonies. :-)

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

1. Randi and Evan
2. Phillip and Jeanine? (the last one)
3. Melissa and Ade

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Half of our peonies are about done. Two groups held forth with their larger than life white globs that take wire props to hold them up. Anybody with a suggestion on how to make them stronger? They get about two foot tall with blooms three inches in diameter. But at full bloom, they can't hold up the weight. A double whammy this spring was four days of afternoon thunder showers that knocked then over along with the big gigantic white iris blooms. Our other two groups of peonies didn't bloom this year. But that is probably because I started terracing that flower bed to keep the water from running off just before bloom season.

Posted by: bh72 | June 24, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

This season I have grown the most beautiful peonies ever.

I LOVE PEONIES!

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

frosti, I think that's what did in Kayla and Max last week--the choreography was so *weird*. It was appealing to the dancing insiders, but not to the voters at home.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom-I have to agree with you on the rhumba, they really looked great dancing it. But, it just didn't grab me-thus my beef with the choreographer vs. the dancers.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

bh72--I always have to prop them up. But then they last longer.

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

At the train station, someone had leafleted the cars with something titled "Say No To Medicare For Everyone." Huh? To my knowledge, that's not the option the president, nor the majority of Democrats in Congress, is advocating. I hate the lies and fearmongering going on. How 'bout proposing a viable alternative vs. taking cheap shots?

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Windy, I have been thinking ours were missing some kind of nutrient because they are growing in some very dense clay soil.

Posted by: bh72 | June 24, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree frosti. Also the costumes. She looked staight out of "I Dream of Jeannie."

Posted by: Raysmom | June 24, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to know my governor was talking to Obama today about health care:

Posted by: seasea1 | June 24, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Typical of the average man: the Governor longs to be a farmer, and the farmer longs to be the Governor...

Posted by: Phil6 | June 24, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

From what I saw I would vote for Ryan and Randi, but I missed several pairs.

I had always had to use supports for my peonies. I try to make sure the support is at about two feet high so the flowers are supported as much as possible.

My neighbours have some - a large old clump that must be 3-4 feet when they are in bloom.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 24, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

*faxing my resume as an e-mail ghostwriter to Gov. Sanford's office*

It appears a newspaper in SC has had these e-mails since December. Could that be right? And they've been sitting on this that long?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 24, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, saw the editor of The SC State on CNN a while ago. he still was in full support of the gov.

Posted by: bh72 | June 24, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

dmd2, do your neighbors' old clumps stand on their own?

Posted by: bh72 | June 24, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I've got traditional double peonies with long stems bending to the ground. Not very efficient but very nice in the good years (when it's not raining every other day, or more). They truly are a blast from the past, nobody hybridize that way anymore.
The ones that are holding best are Japanese-style hybrids with a single outer layer and a double heart. They grow on shorter stems as well. My favourite park in Ottawa has single peonies that need no support at all. They are nice, come in a few colours (white, pink, red) but the flowers do not last very long if I may say so. They make excellent public grounds flower though, as they exhibit the same disease and insect resistance as most peonies. I will take pictures next spring and show them off.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 24, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

dmd-I do have one bloom supported because it nearly broke off in a thunderstorm while still a week short of blooming. I will have to find the rings I used in NoVa for next year. You have to remember to put them over the plant early so the stems grow up through the ring because doing it after buds have formed risks breaking stems. The advantage is that they virtually disappear among the foliage

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so - think I remember seeing a string around them. Do you use the rings for the peonies to grow through?

Mine are not this fancy - but a good example,

bh did your peonies get buried a little deeper when you terraced the garden - too deep and they will not flower.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 24, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

So, if he'd met Maria on the AT, do any of you think they could have kept this secret for a few more weeks? No car at the airport and such to give them away.

Then again, her tan lines and the curve of her hip may have been hard to appreciate in a tent with no room service.

McCain sure knows how to put a VP short list together.

Posted by: abeac1 | June 24, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

snort

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

abeac1...

Short list... short on what?

character?

I think that they were all characters.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 24, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

By the way, shriek, I love your tan lines.

I just had to tell you.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 24, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

They're beyond the pale, Mudge.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 24, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Farmer tan lines would look great with that excavator.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I saw the interview with the Lieutenant Governor who did not know where Sanford was nor who was supposed to be Governor-ing. This is the sort of unprofessionalism that strikes me the most. A getaway per se is not unusual.

As is usual, the family suffers.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 24, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

You know, as Olbermann points out, the Democrats step down, but the Republicans don't... what if all the Republicans who have been caught (including Palin) step down at once?

Posted by: russianthistle | June 24, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

russianthistle--then the Democrats will have an even bigger majority.

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

bh72--I think the combination of the very wet spring and the fact that this was the fourth year for my beloved peonies made them outstanding. Plus, good ole Miracle Grow--I pour some of that mixture on everything in early spring and again in late spring. Indoor and outdoor plays love it. And it's cheap.

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

SCC ... that'd be plants not plays.

Posted by: Windy3 | June 24, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

dmd2, I only added a couple of inches to the lower one. The largest and oldest is still at the original depth. I only started the terrace project a couple of weeks ago when the other peonies were already blooming but I think the work disturbed them so they didn't bloom.

Posted by: bh72 | June 24, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Aren't you kicking the guy while he's down? Look, I'm a Democrat, and not sympathetic to adultery, but it happens. I'm guessing it happens equally within both parties. So Sanford isn't a professional writer. He's just destroyed his career, his marriage, and his relationship with his children. Yes, he did a dumb thing, but I think he's being punished plenty. It's unseemly and more than a bit cruel to chortle over the supposed insipidness of his personal emails.

Posted by: StPaul1 | June 24, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Come on, the last line was worth it. Admit it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 24, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

toodles boodle and sweet dreams

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 24, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

@seasea - I notice you tried to get everyone interested in the health care plan. I certainly should be, as we're uninsured. Feel guilty now for blowing off watching tonight, especially since I just read Krugman's blog and he's upset that Obama apparently is giving up a lot of ground and making it clear that the public option (government-provided insurance) is optional.

Posted by: Wheezy1 | June 24, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

The part of this story I find appalling is that an American governor has to go to South America to find a floozie when we have plenty of home-grown all-American floozies standing in line to have tawdry extra-marital affairs with potential presidential candidates.

The nerve. At least John Edward's mistress was a citizen of the good ole U. S. of A.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

what is olbermann saying? clinton didn't step down. more recently, the mayor of l.a. didn't step down, the mayor of san francisco didn't, and the detroit mayor got sent to jail for lying about his affair. which democrats stepped down? edwards stepped out of the race because he was losing (and he's still probably lying about the paternity of the child).

no, the democrats are no better in this department than the republicans. it's just that republicans come across as more hypocritical given their conservative social values agenda.

Posted by: LALurker | June 25, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm with LA Lurker, I'm not sure Olbermann has a leg to stand on there...(didn't see the show) Robert Livingston did step down and didn't Gingrich also (ggggrrrrrr- can't stand that he's showing up EVERYWHERE) although perhaps Gingrich stepped down because of financial irregularities, not because his M.O. is to leave one wife for the next wife?

Posted by: Kim1 | June 25, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

No, Olbermann got it backwards - Republicans usually resign for stuff like this, Democrats don't. He misspoke (is that misspelled?). Although Larry Craig, Vitter are still there. The newspaper couldn't verify the source of the emails, so couldn't tell if they were a hoax. But that's why they staked out the flight from Buenos Aires today.

Gotta go watch Obama.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 25, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

larry craig didn't run for reelection, so he's gone now.

Posted by: LALurker | June 25, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Nellie, I’ll be afraid for the people who live in the Geysers area. The company is quite determined to continue with the project. The fact that insurance won’t pay is another negative for the people in the area.

No, I didn’t know there was a website that tracks earthquakes that closely.

Posted by: rainforest1 | June 25, 2009 3:50 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Olbermann's point was a fairly narrow one. He cited three Dems, McGreevey, Spitzer and Blagojevich, as three governors who screwed up and then resigned. But I agree he's on thinnish ice, because there are Dems in other positions beside governor who didn't: mayors, senators (Edwards) and one president. So yes, too narrow a construction for Olbermann to gloat.

The Romantic in me actually feels a little sorry for Sanford. If he spent five days in Argentina crying, who or what was he crying for? If he was crying for himself and his predicament, then he's a narcissistic jerk. But if he was crying over losing the woman he loved, then that's a tad more understandable. But if he was THAT broken up, maybe he should have done a King Edward VIII and told the world to screw off, that he'd fallen in love, he was resigning the governorship, and keeping his relationship with Maria. Then he could at least apologize to his wife, admit fault in the divorce proceedings and disappear into history with the woman he loved.

I think the se x/adult ery part of it is the least reprehensible part; it's all the lying combined with the flakiness of doing it so poorly that knocks this guy out of contention and warrants all the scorn.

Three other things are apparent:
(1) Somebody, probably on his staff, turned him in last Decemeber when someone gave those e-mails to the newspaper.
(2) His wife "found out" five months ago; it wasn't that he told her. It's possible the same person who ratted him to the newspaper also gave/sent the e-mails to his wife. Somebody really wanted to get this guy bad.
(3) His staff couldn't be so blithering blind to all this. They had to have known (one of them certainly did--they sent/gave away the e-mails). They needed to do some sort of intervention. (This mirrors the McCain thing with two of his staffers convinced about that woman.)

***********
June 25, 1503: During his fourth and final voyage to the New World, Columbus is shipwrecked for a year on Jamaica after his ships Santiago and Le Capitana run aground in St. Anne Bay. Columbus sends out two trusted officers in dugout canoes to go to Santo Domingo for help, where a political rival keeps them waiting nine months before dispatching a rescue mission. Columbus passes the time in part by using the famous eclipse trick to keep the natives friendly.
1946: Maiden flight of aviation visionary John Northrop’s B-35 Flying wing, which later evolved into the B-49 Flying Wing. Although a failure in its time, the Flying Wing was resurrected decades later to become the B-2 Stealth bomber, and Northrop lived long enough to see it.
***************

slyness, coffee's ready. What's cooking?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 25, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. It's been awhile. Mudge, I've had the coffee, but ham biscuits would be nice. Slyness, you got any?

Now to JA's kit here about Sanford's sin. The kit is funny. The actual facts are not. Governor Sanford sounds like a man in love, perhaps for the first time. This does not bode well for the wife. As the wife said in the movie, this wife probably feels like road kill. And wives that suffer this kind of abuse have my deepest sympathy and good thoughts, because it is abuse. As for Dems and Repubs, let us get real here, it's men. Doesn't matter the affiliation. I ask my dad is it a disease? He was quiet. Suddenly he got deaf. There are so many lives impacted by this lie. So many lives hurt by this. And that makes it sad, very sad. As for his future, I don't know. The emails give the impression of a heart skipping with joy, a joy not found at home, albeit, the writing could use revision. But, hey, can I talk?

The week is winding down. I've enjoyed VCB school, and my grand children. I've had all three for a couple of days. It is work, but that's what grandmother are for, a work of love. Have a great day, folks.

Yoki, Scotty, Martooni, and everyone here, I love you all. *waving*

Kbert!!, what's up?

Posted by: cmyth4u | June 25, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all. Ham biscuits today, but this is the last of the ham. I'll have to go buy some more...

Sanford's getting big headlines here today. I suppose that's not surprising, since SC is less than ten miles from where I sit, and half the circulation area and TV viewing area are in SC. Oh, and anything to take our attention off the boorring health care debate.

Hey Cassandra! I hope the boys haven't competely worn you out.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Good morning.

I told my husband last night that I felt sorry for the Gov.

"Sorry for what?"

"It must feel horrible to have an entire country making fun of you."

"He should have thought about that a year ago."

I guess so. Still, the feeling must be terrible.

Of course, I laugh at the jokes, and hope I am never in a situation like that. Not that I'd cheat on my husband, ever, but there are other stupid things you can do.

This morning NPR was all over the hypocrisy of the sanctity of marriage and cheating.

Enjoy your day, everyone.

Posted by: abeac1 | June 25, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Ana Marie Cox disagrees with Joel and thinks the e-mails are hot and kinda well written.

And I catalog a trend that Wonkette has been keeping track of about Fox News.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Busy day ahead. Off to Chicago, celebrating my birthday along the way...Thanks for the biscuits, slyness. I put another pot of coffee on, extra strong.

Posted by: -jack- | June 25, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Toothpicks holding eyes open... check.

Caffeine IV... check.

Wonderful memories of last night's game... double-check!!!

I'll backBoodle shortly, but before I start forehead typing I simply MUST thank bc and omni for joining NukeSpouse and me at the Sawx-Nats affair last night. We four tipped the balance on setting a new attendance record, I think. Good thing I only have to type here, too, 'cuz the 'ol vocal cords are a bit overused. *L*

The Nats put up a very good fight, but it was wonderful to hear the "Let's go Red Sox" chant about three pitches into the top of the first inning. And how delightful to see Ortiz crush one to straightaway center!

*staggering-off-to-find-some-calories-of-questionable-value Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and in other sports news...

Shaq to join Lebron??? Whoa nellie!

And now we have a "Miracle on Grass" with the U.S. beating Spain!!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

The overwrought prose of Sanford suggests, to me, a man possessed by emotions he is struggling to express. And who amongst us has not found it difficult to put feelings into words?

One common approach, especially among the young, is adverb abuse. In sixth grade I received a Valentine’s Day card from a young lady who “Liked me very very very very much.” (Alas, events would later indicate that she, evidently, liked my friend Joey “very very very very *very* much. But I digress.)

In “Annie Hall” Woody Allen attempts introduce the word “Lerve” to indicate passion for which the word “love” is inadequate. Oddly enough, this term never seemed to really catch fire.

Or one can fall back on foreign words. Because everybody knows that things just sound hotter in French. (Although Klingon, oddly enough, doesn’t seem to work as well.) The downside to this approach, of course, is that being forced to spend long periods of time at Babel Fish has been known to be detrimental to Grand Passion.

Some especially pathetic individuals have been known to attempt to express their ardor in mathematical terms. Although it has doubtless been long reduced to constituent particles of carbon, at one point there existed a love letter in which devotion was expressed in terms of an exponential function. Which, in retrospect, may have been a strategic error.

All of this leads to a recognition that simple phrases and individual words are often painfully inadequate for the purposes at hand. Which naturally leads one to poetry. For are not these overwritten missives really just stabs at poetry? A sort of “protopoetry”? (Speaking of terms unlikely to catch on.) And poetry, much like, say, brain surgery, can result in miraculous things when done well. And naught but a bloody mess when done poorly.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 25, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Glad you enjoyed the game Scotty. “S” said that the Nats sold out the stadium for the first time this year because the Sox are there, is this true? Based on crowd noise on the TV, it seemed that there were more Sox than Nats fans there.

They are promising sun for later today, I. do. not. believe. it.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 25, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

RD_Padouk, you are a physicist and a gentleman (and very funny).

Posted by: Yoki | June 25, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Yoki!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 25, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

RD,
Back at college we had a formula that went like this:

∫e^x = f(u^n)

It looks a lot better typeset correctly.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Sneaks, 'tweren't a sellout, but close. And yeah, it was the Sox fans responding when the video screens called for the "10th Man" to "Get Loud."

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I've had both Bush and Sanford for governors now. Do I have bad gubernatorial luck? Am I about to be transferred to Alaska so I can get the trifecta?

Posted by: schala1 | June 25, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Jack.

Gary Kamiya had a really good column in Salon about Sanford, at http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2009/06/25/mark_sanford/print.html. His general thesis is that the poor guy departed from the usual scripted mea culpa, and was basically unraveling in real-time. And I think I agree. And I think Cassandra had it mostly right: this guy is in love (though not for the first time; I'm sure he loved his wife 19 years ago when he married her, and for many years after that). And I don't think he is yet done unraveling; I don't think he has it figured out even now. If anything, he may be even more at sea than before.

Prediction: he will resign as governor, not because of the scandal per se, but because he has simply lost the ability to lead the state. In short, he'll see he can't do his job. Second, he'll sooner or later wind up with Maria.

Yup, he's in love with her. Whaddaya gonna do. And I think most marriages are Humpty-Dumpty-like: once they get broken beyond a certain point, you can't put them back together. Be that as it may, you sure as hell can't put them back together when one spouse is still in love with a third party. And he is. It's just gonna take him a while to sort it out. But the marriage is toast, and the career is toast.

Time magazine has already released Maria's name, address and occupation. Her photo will be all over People magazine and Entertainment Tonight any moment now.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Morning all... the breakfast casserole is coming out of the oven... should be enough for all of us, so drop on by!

Anyone else having trouble reading the front page right now? There's an ad that includes a movie of panning across an apartment and it makes me carsick to try to read the page. I keep refreshing, but the ad keeps appearing... it's like trying to read in a moving car.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 25, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Mine's OK (for once), TBG.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

A ok, Windy3. That's the point, duh. It's not my problem. Just gimme an interesting take on this man's ridiculous actions. But not from Joel - he joined in the dull string of predictable guffaws. How about something actually...... new.

Posted by: rburke30 | June 25, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. Hi Cassandra--

RD, your comment made me laugh and sent me over to xkcd.com*. Sure enough, today's comic is somewhat illustrative of your point:

And this one speaks to Achenaddicts (we know who we are):

*I feel like I should mention that the secondary punchline is hidden in these comics--put the cursor over the comic for the popup box. (Sorry if that's insulting to anyone's intelligence, but I didn't know about it until somebody told me so I'm just passing on the clue.)

Posted by: kbertocci | June 25, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This is a very good column on the Arab world's reaction (or total lack of it) to events in Iran: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062403014.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow, thanks, kb, I never knew about the secondary punchline. I'm going to have to go back and reread all of those comics now.

To the SYTYCD watchers, I agree with your top three routines. I thought it was quite a good week overall, and I loved Evan & Randi. To me, there's a real asymmetry between the guys and girls this season. Once Asuka is gone, I'll be sad to lose any of the other girls, but most of the guys are expendable in my view. We just need to keep Evan, Brandon, and Ade.

Posted by: -bia- | June 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What's going on here? Are people actually working today? Am I missing some memo?

Posted by: -TBG- | June 25, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Had a great time with the Nukes and omni last night at the ball game. I think I may have forever ruined the chant "Go Nats!" for omni due to my unfortunate mispronunication of the "t" as a "d."

As to the Sanford thing, er, I stopped watching when Fred left to finally join his true love, Elizabeth.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

*pant, pant* I'm doin' my best, TBG. I posted a couple of links, I mini-ranted (twice), I historified. I was a good boy and didn't jump on a troll (who deserved it). There's only so much one demented old codger can do, yanno.

(I even went and got my ID badge renewed, so I'm good for another year.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The memo also suffers from overwriting, apparently...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

bc, I didn't think her name started with an E.

Posted by: LostInThought | June 25, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. We're just having another gorgeous summer day in the other capital but the Canadian Public keeps me hopping. I need a vacation soon. That Sanford thing keeps me giggling. At least the 12% of unemployed people of SC may benefit from it if the sentimental moron stops his opposition to SC receiving stimulus money.
There was a bit of a disruption to the traffic this morning as cops were blocking access to the main road from our street. It turns out there was a dust-up in the parking lot of the local bar cum strip club and some guys started shooting at each other. One dead and one wounded. The bar is closed enough that I sometimes use their garbage bin to dispose of my stinky “doggie bags” when I walk the dogs.
Last time it happened 2-3 years ago it was 2 factions of a criminalized Somali gang of Ottawa's west end that got to each other's throat in the same parking lot. Gunfire was exchanged back then too but nobody died. Poor shots I guess.
The paper reports the license plates were from Ontario so it might be a repeat performance. Like they couldn’t find a parking lot in their own province to shoot at each other.

The funny looking traffic lights over the road seen on one of the pictures are for a pedestrian crossing at my bus stop. It’s not that I am that important but there is a park’n’ride on the other side of the street.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

scc: close enough *sigh*

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 25, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I just sent in a comment on Lois Romano's chat today -- don't know if she'll take it, but you all will recognize it if she does.

Last night's SYTYCD was okay in some parts and really, really good in others. I do like Evan -- I think he's really cute and simply *made* for Broadway (as is his brother, who apparently will be on in the next season). And I like Ade and Brandon. Of all the male dancers, Brandon does indeed have the elegance for contemporary dancing and he can really move in the hip-hop style (which I find a little boring, but what do I know?). Among the female dancers (and I can't quite remember all their names yet), the ballerina (is that Melissa?) is very good, but she seems to me to look older (not that there's anything wrong with that) - because she *is* - than all the others. But she does have the appropriate elegance. I also like the one who did the Bollywood number. And the blonde (Kayla?) who always has her grandparents in the audience is very, very good. She is more likely than not to be boosted into the finals. Randi seems to have a very good fit with Evan (who is really cute -- did I already say that? Ah, he's jailbait anyway, to a woman my age, yanno). Kinda hard to distinguish some of them, tho. We'll see who goes home tonight.

I also caught some of Obama's 10:00 show on ABC (which was notable for the number of commercials (one per question, perhaps?)). I always say, that if socialized medicine is good enough for Congress, it's good enough for us!

cya later.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

OK, the Boodle needs some invigorating. Here's two clips:

Obama grilling with Bobby Flay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o5bFmOJ6fw&feature=popular

and today's tune cootie, for no particular reason other than I like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4oY8ojxp_8

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

We can all breathe a little easier now -- our Constitutional right to prescription-strength ibuprofen has been upheld...

Or something like that.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I was out working this morning TBG, in the heat - then a storm came in so I am having a siesta. This is a nasty cell blowing through complete with the regular apocolyptic warnings from Environment Canada.

Really raining now with wind and sporadic thunder - perhaps it will cool the air a little.

This has been bothering me all morning, wouldn't it be better for the Governor just to get a divorce rather than skank off to Argentina - which is more damaging.

I am confused by his wife's statement - if they were separated to sort things out - I think the Argentina trip should have alerted her to the fact that the marriage while important to her - to him not so much.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse