The Girl in the Window

When you have a little free time -- and aren't distracted by the hustle and bustle of daily life -- check out this story from the St. Pete Times on "the girl in the window." It won a Pulitzer Prize this year and has pretty much gone viral on the Web, with more than a million page views. I just found out it was edited by my old pal Mike Wilson from the Herald. It's an extremely powerful, and in many ways wrenching, story, but it's also inspirational.

I've been scouting out good stories on the Web -- narratives that stand the test of time. Here's another one, by David Remnick in The New Yorker, on an obsessive jazz DJ who worships Charlie Parker (and no subscription required!).

This isn't assigned reading, of course. There will not be a test. Though maybe that's not such a bad idea. Every blog item could become fodder for a pop quiz!

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 13, 2009; 8:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Failure to Launch
Next: Election Fraud in Iran

Comments

That's a powerful story, and quite worthy of a Pulitzer. Like all good writing about such situations, it avoids imposing a narrative and lets the facts speak for themselves. This is hard to do in stories like this.

The thing is, of course, this story isn't over. It might have a happy ending, but perhaps it might not. You never know, you can only hope. But then, isn't that the way it always is with children?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 13, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle, biscuits and sausage gravy (spicy!) and Mr. F's exceptionally good latte for breakfast. Back after I read those stories.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Gonna go read now, but just wanted to say how nice it is to see the editor get a shout-out. Thanks, Joel!

Posted by: -TBG- | June 13, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I read this story sometime last year. It still packs a punch the second time around.

Posted by: Kim1 | June 13, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Ohmygod. That DJ reminds me a bit of my son and 70s rock. I mean, my son was not happy until he owned every of Quadrophenia ever produced. And his knowledge of Pink Floyd is already encyclopedic.

I mean,yesterday I mentioned a Pink Floyd video I had once seen with an American Indian and a feather. He immediately goes into a detailed exposition involving German pressings of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and post-Waters stylistic variations.

Now I'm a little worried.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 13, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. While eating breakfast we saw a bunny in the garden, the fenced in garden. “S” went to investigate and saw that the bunny had chewed a hole in the plastic fencing. He (“S” not the bunny) is now off to the store to find some metal fencing to reinforce the bottom of the fence. We have had a bunny explosion this year, they are everywhere. It might be because our neighbor no longer has a dog and/or the coyotes that roam near the river have not been in this area lately. I like rabbits, but this overpopulation could turn me into Elmer Fudd.

I’ll read the stories later as the sun is out, finally, and I don’t want to miss any of its rays.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm okay with a pop quiz. But put the answers on the board and pull down the movie screen to cover them. When we're all done, pull up the screen and let us grade our own papers.

Posted by: bayouself | June 13, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

That is about the saddest story I have ever read. I made it to the first paragraph of part 2 before I was sobbing. God, I hope and pray that girl someday has something approaching a normal life.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow-to both stories, in totally different ways. Thanks JA.

I remember the first time I read through all the documents related to frostdottir's removal from her mother's care. With nowhere near Dani's disabilities we still wondered if there was any way we could be up to the task of raising her into an independent adulthood. But, like the Lierows we had seen the picture and it was too late.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Was there some sort of sporting event last night? How'd it go?

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Um, yello, um, er, ah, my beloved Red Wings lost 2-1.

Needing some luv.

But first, now that I've been to the farmer's market, it's time to go get other stuff. 'Tis a Saturday, alas, with Saturday errands.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 13, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. The Florida story appeared on my computer as video and audio, and very moving it was. My career has been spent dealing with the consequences of people's self-delusions, but that mother was extraordinary in her complete failure to acknowledge the realities of her daughter's life or her own responsibilities.

I fleetingly thought it would be nice to be as obsessive about and committed to any single thing as that DJ is about Charlie Parker. Then I came to my senses.

I am trying to prod my newly-minted teen Boy into moving quick enough for a shopping trip. I just hope there is some food left at the farmer's market by the time we're there. Now that I can get good tomatoes I don't want to go through withdrawal.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 13, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

My condolences, ftb. My wife collects penguins, but I don't let that bias spill over into my sports fandom or lack thereof.

Every time I think I am obsessed about something I come across someone far more passionate than me. At one time I endeavored to collect all the Bruce Springsteen concert bootlegs, but then I decided that that was like trying to drink from a firehose. Imagine if I were a Bob Dylan or Grateful Dead fan who tend to be even more OCD about the music.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm completely shattered after reading that first story.

Posted by: Yoki | June 13, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's a good life with some independent living, yellojkt.

Normal... well, who knows what that even is, for somebody originally tested with an IQ of 50 due to neglect and probable genetic factors?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok boodle, our afternoon is in your hands. Ready to get cleaned up after a morning of planting corn and weeding the rest of the vegies-while I'm away let me know if Mr. F and I should see Up or Star Trek. We're headed to Bemidji for a date night! (Thought about going to see "Swing Sisters" at the Paul Bunyan Playhouse-a real Actors Equity summer stock theatre, but the show time didn't work out).

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My children launched so well that they're both more than a thousand miles from me -- in opposite directions.

Think there's a reason?

Posted by: rickoshea0 | June 13, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I am glad the foster parents did not choose to assume Danielle was limited and to do the best they could to help her develop.

Is it wrong of me to be angry that feral child cases get far more attention than the more pedestrian cases of abuse of deaf children by deprivation of language and key support services-- often due to misdiagnosis?

I am familiar of a case right now where a school employee is refusing to label an infant deaf (even though the infant IS), but rather developmentally delayed (aka mentally retarded) due to some motor delays in the past.

The whole purpose of this obstructive behavior? TO avoid paying for a deaf and hard of hearing teacher to teach the family and child sign and other activities so the child can acquire language and develop normally. This is the most critical period, and the baby can't wait.

Parent advocacy groups and state representatives are on the case, but it's going to take work to be sure that full services are given, not just lip service.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ahem, Tecoma stans has nothing to do with Tacoma:
Would that it did! Gorgeous. Tropical.

I need more coffee before the pop quiz, please.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 13, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sigh, coin flip it is.

Wilbrod, don't get me started about the unwritten step in all educational administration manuals- "Make every effort to find a diagnosis that fits the least expensive services that can possibly be provided without bringing a law suit. When in doubt assume the parents will not discover their child is being shortchanged, and if they do, cannot summon the resources for a long drawn out court battle."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

frosti, either of those choices is good. I'd vote for Star Trek, but I haven't seen Up.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 13, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

A busy day, and I'm going to have to check out those stories when I have the time to devote the proper attention to them.

I've seen both Star Trek and Up, and they're both good movies - I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Frosti, if you're trying to forget about last night's result for awhile, I'd recommend Star Trek.

If you want to stew a bit, and be reflective, Up's good (bring tissues, this movie can make one cry in spots).

Of course, I cried towards the beginning of Star Trek, too. When that classic (I won't say what) goes over the cliff in the movie, I almost went into a fetal position in my seat.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 13, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Stories like this haunt me for weeks afterwards. I get frustrated because I don’t see how we can prevent this sort of thing without becoming a police state. But we have to draw the line somewhere, it’s the ‘where’ that I’m not wise enough to know.

Gorgeous day here. I mowed the front lawn which was fun. I love the smell of fresh cut grass. We now have a two-foot section of chicken wire around the fence around the garden. The cost of all this fencing is certainly more than the value of the vegetables we are growing but fresh tomatoes, corn, pea pods and beans make you forget all that.

I didn’t see Star Trek, but Up was very good, if a bit sad and touching in parts. If it’s in 3-D, I’m sure it would look even better.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Plant City is much more of a community than much of Florida (strawberries are the big deal there), but the state as a whole is one where you rather expect happenings resembling Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily". Or maybe Erskine Caldwell's "Tobacco Road".

The St. Petersburg Times covers the messy and just plain disgusting human condition with restraint and consideration.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 13, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boodle, it is a beautiful day here too. I'm just back from a test drive and I've found it! At the end of the month I shall purchase a 2009 Civic sedan "Sport." Sadly, couldn't afford the hybrid, but it is exceedingly fuel efficient.

Now we need to talk colour and extras. #1 deeply disapproves of black (though her opinion carries no weight at all!). So, black, titanium or pearl grey? Black or grey interior?

Discuss.

Posted by: Yoki | June 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Badsneakers, that girl was old enough to be enrolled in school. She should have had vaccinations (all the anti-vaccination phobics out there notwithstanding.)

The mother was evaluated as having 77 IQ. Was this a new evaluation due to cognitive decline, or did she grow up with that intelligence? Did her employers know she had kids?

I think the only answer we can all do is simply get to be good neighbors with anybody with kids, and help create a small town. We can also teach our kids to do the same.

That kid was rescued because neighbors filed complaints. They saw signs of trouble.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Not black, it shows every speck of dust and sucks up heat.

Grey interior.

There. You only have to choose the exterior color. Titanium sounds real 21st century.

Posted by: nellie4 | June 13, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Obviously this feral child was an extreme case but there is a continuum of bad parenting. I recently heard an old This American Life about a social worker trying to instill middle class parenting values into poor and working class families. Very simple things like reading to kids, using appropriate discipline techniques, and slathering kids with copious praise.

My wife deals with ESL students and there is a big difference in the rate and speed of streamlining between children of professional grade immigrants and the children of migrant and transient workers.

While we don't want a Romanian style statist children situation, it does take a village to raise a kid and some of that is simple peer pressure and socialization. When parents become isolated, horrors can result.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I vote for grey interior, Yoki. Like Nellie says, black is hot and shows all the dirt. Exterior, whatever shows up best in snow, would be my advice.

Posted by: slyness | June 13, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Or whatever looks the best to Yoki. Black is harder to find at night.

I vote for grey interior too.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear. The story about the child was so powerful and so sad and so -- well, words fail me (which anybody who knows me knows that such a situation does *not* happen often). I used a number of tissues on that one.

But one thing that it did do for me was add to life's toolbox of things which give one perspective about one's own life and upbringing. There are those who want to continue to whine and rage about how they were raised (no matter how old/ancient they might be), perhaps because they find it a nice and easy attention-getter. And there are those who weep through this story and understand that what they might have gone through doesn't even come close to this. It's hard in many ways to let go of baggage -- comfortable, in an old ragged shirt kind of way, yet unwearable -- but it must happen, one clenched finger (or fist) at a time, to have any kind of growth and *perish the thought* any kind of happiness.

I wish this girl as much of life's bounty as she can take and can handle. Her new parents and new brother are remarkable in their generosity and their stamina. In light of the ugliness and terror of the last couple of weeks surrounding the two murders by hateful people, and in spite of the circumstances surrounding this young girl, to me it is she who personifies beauty of life as opposed to its ugliness.

Yoki -- unfortunately, I was *not* born with the gene which tells me which colors and pattern schemes go good together. That's why I need a professional dresser (or good friend who has the "gene"). So, with that as a disclaimer, I think that Nellie is right about the black exterior, and perhaps even the titanium outside and grey interior. I feel that if I follow along with the crowd on this one, I can't be personally blamed for any color malfunctions.

*snort*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 13, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Well I vote for black, but both our vehicles have black interior, exteriors, one black, one grey.

Like the sound of titanium - charcoal grey colour.

As for the black exteriors and heat - this is Canada people - it is only six weeks of interior warmth, spring and fall it is nice to get in a solar warmed car, of course in the depth of winter little helps.

If you are fussy out spotless interiors black will show dirt.

I have always like dark tan interior colours.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 13, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I possibly made a mistake by getting a new white roof, opting instead for galvanized, which seemed to pose fewer maintenance problems. So now I can fret about not having reflected a great deal of unwanted solar energy back into space.

In the Florida context, it's dumb to have a car in any color but white. Notwithstanding that mine is a bright metallic green. Looks good next to red cars.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 13, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

I'm taking a few moments out of my day to watch SpeedTVs live coverage of the LeMans 24 Hours (yes, *that* Patrick Dempsey is driving a GT2 class Ferrari), and am struck once again how much I love sports car endurance races.

Beautiful, interesting cars with various powerplants, fuels, and design philosophies - not the cookie-cutter cars we see in domestic racing - driven over public roads, by young and old, men and women, the some at the razors' edge the whole way risking all at every corner, others holding back and driving highly tactical races.

Glowing lights, brakes, exhaust and even car numbers at night.

Lovely and exciting.

I like titanium, FWIW.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 13, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

bc,
The cars are nice and everything, but does anybody PASS in those races.

It became a joke amongst our friends that all our cars are white (with gold trim). White is as hard to keep clean as black, but so much cooler in the sun after sitting in a parking lot all day.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I owned two cars at one time-- one red, one white. It might have been me, but I swear the white car got stopped by police far more than the red one-- NoVa, of course.

How cozy do you get with the cops while driving, yellojkt, or is that too personal a question?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Have to backBoodle a bit, but just had to say I KNOW this has been one of 'Mudge's recurring daydreams...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 13, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

You can't go wrong as long as the interior's not black vinyl, Yoki...

*reflexively reaching for the aloe vera due to bad memories*

The only coherent comment I can make about the article is that I'm glad Danielle is in the most supportive environment possible now.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 13, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

That's an interesting story about the umpire, scottynuke. I'm a little puzzled by the "instant vote" option - did the umpire overreact or not, yes or no. In a story of a few sentences, with the bare bones of the event, how can we possibly know? I think those polls are silly, and pander to people who believe that a quick and incomplete overview is enough to make up their minds on any topic.

Ivansdad kidnapped us this afternoon. We went to the recently-opened Half Price Books (finally! hurray!). I found a novel about Pueblo Indians by - wait for it - Adolf Bandelier. The novel is somewhat tediously written in that turn-of-the-last-century style, but I could not resist. I've hiked Bandelier National Monument too often to pass up a book by the namesake, on the topic of its inhabitants.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 13, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I had a car with a black interior. They get hot. As dmd pointed out, in Canada that might not be a problem. I'm currently driving the first car I bought for which I got to choose the color - every other one, I took the single option on the lot. This time I think I had two options. Mine is a sort of gun-metal gray, dark gray when washed and sparkling. Which is seldom.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 13, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, having weighed all your comments, I am leaning toward the titanium exterior and black interior. With leather-wrapped steering wheel and optional 8 speaker stereo.

Why on earth a Civic needs a leather-wrapped steering wheel I cannot say. It's a freakin' Civic, fercryingoutloud! Perhaps it is not so much the car, as I, that needs it.

Posted by: Yoki | June 13, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Of course you need it, Yoki. Leather gets less cold than bare metal or plastic.

I'd personally favor sheepskin for warmth, but leather is SO much more stylish.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 13, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I like titanium yoki but I call it February Road Grime. I remember shopping for alloy wheels that were brake dust grey as well, I'm so frikking lazy.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 13, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, there's so much passing in this race it'd make your head spin. There's 52 cars spread out on an 8+ mile track, and the closing rates between the LMP1 cars (the top prototypes) and the GT2 cars (which start out as production sports cars) on the Mulsanne straights is something like 40 mph, and around 25 seconds per lap. And believe it or not, there will still be some passing tomorrow afternoon (their time, morning for us) after 3,000 miles of racing.

Yoki, I do fancy the new Civic Si, but I'm not crazy about the extreme rake of the current model Civic windshield and the weird blind spot towards the base of the "A" pillar near the sideview mirror (and the odd porthole they added on the upscale models like the Si) and the wide expanse of dashboard deck. It drove nicely, with that sweet Honda snick-snick gearchange (which I tend to do a lot of since those peaky Honda engines only make torque well up in the rev band - that's why it has 6-speeds), but the sightlines bothered me. The quality of the interior is good for the class, but I dislike the big digital speedometer set so far back in the dash. When I see a Civic go by on the highway, I can read it from *my* car. I was surprised to find that I liked the Chevy Cobalt SS sedan a lot more - it goes, turns and especially *stops* a lot better than the Honda. Great seats, too -- at least for me, and a remarkably large trunk. I doubt it'll last like the Honda, though. The Mazdaspeed 3 is nice, and has the cool advantage of being a small wagon, but I wasn't crazy about the brakes, and I suspect that it'll slurp more fuel than the Honda or Chevy (even though the Chevy makes a more power and torque).

Overall, I thought the Honda a quality piece, and a sound way to spend money. It's just quirky in ways that I don't know that I would get used to.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of leather steering wheels, for the reasons others have enumerated above.

I've had several friggin' Dodge Omnis with a leather steering wheels, fer goodness' sakes. Of course, the one I'm working on now makes around 400 hp with all the knobs turned up to 11. It made 340 hp on a wheel dynamometer *before* we added the nitrous oxide... and we haven't dynoed it since, simply because we're happier just not knowing for sure.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 13, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yoki-Titanium with black interior, yes, I think that suits you.

Just home from Star Trek. I must say it knocks the socks off the previous movies. Thanks to all boodlers who vouched for it-not much for prequels usually.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Cool piece on the 50 most looked-up words on the NYT web site in '08.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I vote for a white exterior and a grey interior, Yoki. Busy day. My sister is in town to celebrate our niece's graduation from HS. Thus, house cleaning all day, followed by a dinner of kabobs. Shrimp and steak, depending on preference. She hasn't seen the house for seven years. It made me realize how much work has been done in the interim. Off to the Queen City tomorrow for graduation and the post graduation reception at my bro's.

Posted by: -jack- | June 13, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

fb,
Maureen Dowd uses a fair amount of those words, particularly 'louche', 'laconic', and 'saturnine'. I'm going to blog about the full breakdown someday.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | June 13, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Have a happy graduation party there, jack. I can't wait for my next one.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 13, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Frosti - glad you enjoyed Trek.

My takeaway from the film: if you're going where no one has gone before, don't wear red.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 13, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I think that I will, yello. And thanks to you and the rest of the boodlers for all of your kind words of late. It sounds trite, but yesterday my heart soared. I couldn't have any better imaginary friends.

Posted by: -jack- | June 13, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm headed to the bunker to cook some midnight breakfast. My version of the venerable 99er: eggs over easy, hash browns, toast, and some proper coffee. I'm prepared to cook for anyone that cares to drop in.

Posted by: -jack- | June 13, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Put on a couple more eggs, jack, I'm on my way. That sounds like a perfect late supper.

bc, thanks for your thoughts. That weird blind spot *can* be overcome, but it is something I'm thinking about. I actually like the deep dash deck, for eccentric reasons. I *do not* like the speedometer, but not because of its location (perfect for my sight-line) but because I can no longer fool myself that 88 is pretty darn close to 80 (isn't analog wonderful for denial?). Or that I actually am very good at holding a steady speed in city traffic.

However, I very much liked the whole "feel" of the car, overall, and while some reviewers find it not sufficiently peppy on acceleration, I'm not such an aggressive driver that this bothers me in the least.

So, overall, in value-for-money terms, I'm content with my choice.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

The ScienceGrandpa, who recently purchased a Honda Insight, is very much taken with the Heads-Up Display aspects of the dashboard design and the speedometer way up there where you can glance quickly between the road and the speedometer. But it's automatic transmission, only, in the Insight. How sad.

Posted by: ScienceTim | June 14, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

ScienceTim, I am sorry to confess that I am shopping for an automatic tranny. Now, understand that I have driven standards since 1980, very successfully.

Best moment? When I had given birth to #1 a mere 3 weeks before, and went to buy a new car. I was treated horrendously, until the test-drive stage. (You must now imagine a French-Canadian-inflected English); "Ah! Madame really *drives!*"

Yes, Madame does.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling Yoki left that salesperson on the floor, weeping...

But in a good way. :-)

Hey 'Mudge, it's the old "inadvertent encounter" routine again:

Is anyone really surprised Ahmadinejad is taking his election clues from Mugabe?

'Mudge, are you ghost-writing again?

It's looking like a fine jogging morning, followed by a few more chores and such. And look, someone left some hash browns and eggs on the ready room stove! *breaking-out-the-Brillo-pad-and-elbow-grease Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll have some scrambled egg, Scotty, if there are enough left. I need some breakfast before I head down the mountain shortly. No time to make my own breakfast! My thanks to Jack for leaving the leftovers, and I hope he has a good time in my city at graduation. Personally, I'm not going anywhere close to the arena today.

Gotta be home in time for church, so later, folks!

Posted by: slyness | June 14, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Dangit, slyness, you KNOW how tough it is to fax to a moving vehicle!!!

*checking Scotty's notes on trans-warp beaming*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Scotty, thanks for those two umpire links, both an umpire's dream. I agree with Ivansmom that there's no way that AP story had anything close to enough facts for some half-assed opinion poll (other than my own opinion, of course, which is that "Of course the umpire acted correctly, you Fox News morons!!!")

I never ejected an entire audience, although I know an ump who ejected one entire side (maybe 15 people) of spectators. I once emptied an entire dugout, but didn't eject them, just made them stand far enough from the field they couldn't see what was going on. (Not my original tactic; it is discussed in the umps' repertoire of tactics; I didn't make it up). And I umped a game where two players' mothers got into a brawl at home plate, and one mother knocked the other one down.

And yeah, I ghost-wrote Glanville's piece for him.

And I liked the submarine story, too. Yeah, the Navyskipper didn't realize the Chinese sub was right there in front of his towed array. Sure, skipper. (I can just see them all doing high fives on the bridge when the paravane boinks the Red sub. Boi-oi-oi-oi-iiiing.)

Congrats on the new wheels, Yoki. (You would have liked the hybrid. And it gives wonderful acoustics when you are listening to "Music Box Dancer" at a stoplight.) I had a Civic hybrid a few years ago.)

************
Today in Nautical and Aviation History

June 14, 1777: After capturing 16 merchant ships in the colonial sloop Providence, John Paul Jones receives an appointment as captain of the Ranger, and is order to raid British shipping.
1982: The Falklands War between Britain and Argentina ends as the "Argies” surrender at Port Stanley, having lost 109 aircraft versus 9 British aircraft. Britain lost 6 ships with 10 damaged, 255 dead and 777 wounded; Argentina lost the battleship General Belgrano, 652 killed and more than 11,000 captured.
*************