The Love-Drunk Governor

It feels voyeuristic to read these e-mails, but it's hard not to look. Is there something called being love-drunk? Mark Sanford's rambling, confessional press conference would potentially be the classic example.

He's down there for five days. Then Stanford steps off the plane Wednesday morning in Atlanta, and he's still either love-drunk or he's got what Diana Ross would call a monster Love Hangover. And then he goes in front of the cameras and it's a debacle for the ages.

Sanford's next job (he'll need one imminently) could be advice columnist for the lovelorn.

Political sex scandals have become a dime a dozen. What we don't tend to see are love scandals. If the governor was merely doing the Alpha Male politician thing, and looking for a conquest, he presumably wouldn't have needed to go all the way to the southern hemisphere. But this was apparently the real deal. Love, actually. The big one. The governor fell for an Argentinian bombshell. He wasn't merely brought to his knees by love; he was pancaked.

Now he's walking around with the accordion body. Like the coyote after the anvil falls on him.

John Dickerson cuts him some slack and says there is too much heartless glee at Sanford's self-immolation. And here's Will Saletan: "I think he loved this other woman. I think he still does. And he won't belittle or renounce that love because it was, and is, something real."

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 25, 2009; 10:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mark Sanford's Sin of Overwriting
Next: Michael Jackson

Comments

It must be the heat!!!

But there is a lot of truth to the fact the Beautiful,smart,funny women have a tendacy to make all of us men Gaga at many times in our lives.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 25, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

been awhile....working too much. i am struck by the banality of the governor's story as contrasted with the inexpressible sadness of the loss of life on the metro. i have also ridden the metro, at times with my wife and children, blissfully unaware of the obvious danger of daily life. strikes me we should be covering the bravery and incredible generosity of all those on the metro who helped each other get out, survive, etc. i wish someone would write their stories. there is nothing more to be gained from watching the governor come undone.

Posted by: butlerguy | June 25, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think that explains a lot of the male Boodler gaga-ness around here, gwe...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hi butlerguy;

I do believe the Post has covered that angle of the Metro crash rather extensively.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Farrah.

Commenting on the last kit, someone on the politics chat actually called Sanford's e-mails "beautifully written." In some sort of parallel, treacly, Robert Waller/Thomas Kinkade universe, maybe.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 25, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Butlerguy, I agree. I'd like to know who died, so I know it's not anybody I know (knock on wood).

However, banal it may be, this story is still amusing, and the news is generally dismal, not amusing.

(Remember, the Ken Starr report went like hotcakes. I may be one of around 200 people alive and adult in America at that time who didn't read any part of it.)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Farrah Fawcett was so beautiful. She will be missed. :-(

Posted by: Windy3 | June 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Amen Scotty,Our boodle babes definately fall into all those categories and many more.

Glad the game was a good one.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | June 25, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom, Joel called them overwritten, not badly written-- which means that they could have been edited for conciseness.

There's a difference. Bad writing, you can't save.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

There's "too much heartless glee at Sanford's self-immolation"?

Mr. Dickerson: B-word, please.

That's not "glee." That's schadenfreude. It's what happens when yet another GOP family-values-spouting clown gets caught simulteously engaging in one or more of the right's current Seven Deadly Sins (Hypocrisy, Adultery, Homosexuality, non-Christianity, Liberalism, Abortion and Tolerance).

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Scotty's right, butlerguy. You haven't been paying attention. Unfortunately, WaPo has omitted the link to that particular story.

Farah Fawcett just died.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

ok mr. scottynuke: i have not had time to read much for the last few weeks. often try to check in here for a few minutes at lunchtime--for the humor, the genius, the astrophysical, etc. glad to hear those stories are being told. my best to you and all the boodle.

Posted by: butlerguy | June 25, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I was speaking for myself, Wilbrod. I found them cringe-worthy, not beautiful. YMMV.

Posted by: Raysmom | June 25, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I think I've heard enough about the SC gov's love life. Gail Collins has a good column in the NYT:

And as others, including even Keith Olbermann have noted, it's not that anyone is denying Sanford's feelings for this woman. But he didn't handle it well. If he's that much in love, get a divorce. If that derails your political career, messes up your relationship with your kids, oh well. Happens all the time - it's not easy, it's not pretty. I don't quite understand why Mrs Sanford hasn't walked away, but maybe she'll come to her senses soon. The truth is, there is something about a forbidden, secret affair that makes it more exciting than the 20 year marriage.

And I wonder about the women who engage in these affairs. What are they thinking, really? Maybe they all need to read Anna Karenina...

Posted by: seasea1 | June 25, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, butlerguy, same to you.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Found it: "Rescuers Tried Everything We Could": http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303556.html

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

There are standard narratives in our society into which messy complex situations are often forced. You violate these narratives at your peril.

But, narratives aside, I am saddened to hear that Farrah Fawcett has died. I am a bit too old to have been in the prime Farrah group (I was a Marcia guy) but I remember The Poster well. Both with air brushing and without.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

RIP indeed, Farrah... :-(

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey butlerguy! Hi byoolin! LTNS!

Isn't it amazing how we can't look away when somebody *important* self-immolates like Mark Sanford? There's schadenfreude and voyerism in the mix of emotions, which makes it irresistable.

Farrah fought the good fight, God give her rest.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

And there's this on the Metro crash victims, which I believe names all the people who died:

Posted by: seasea1 | June 25, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi yourself, slyness (and everyone else).

I'm aghast at the spelling, grammar, and quantity-related errors in my first post in such a long time. I hereby re-write the most offensive clause to: "gets caught engaging simultaneously in two or more..."

I appear to be out of practice and promise to try to do better next time.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Schadenfreude is my favorite emotion and a really catchy Avenue Q song.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom, they just sound lovesick to me. Seen better, seen worse.

The cringe-worthy part is because these have been made public.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom, they just sound lovesick to me. Seen better, seen worse.

The cringe-worthy part is because these have been made public.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I think one major difference between Sanford's performance and everyone else's, going back decades if necessary, is that Sanford just got off the plane when he had his presser, and his head was still (wherever it was). Unlike virtually ever other pol who has been forced into this, he hadn't had time to be massaged by handlers, prepped, answers rehearsed, etc. Sanford's was the only "real" spontaneous, stream-of-conscious presser we've ever seen in this context.

And yep, this was a love scandal, not a sex scandal, and yep, he was love-drunk. Still say he hasn't yet figured it all out, and still say he'll wind up with Maria.

Paraphrasing a quote from Conan O'Brien: "People are a bit surprised at Mark Sanford. Traditionally Republicans don't do that well with Latino women."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Farrah...

As crazy as her life appeared at times, I do believe she found a real and lasting love with Mr. O'Neal.

And I think they were happy together right to the end, and in my book, that counts for a lot.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 25, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I never owned a Farrah Fawcett poster, but she was an important person in many a young man's life. she will be missed and remembered.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What Sanford thinks about love now:

Thanks for the xkcd links!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 25, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Oddly enough, I went to college with Farrah Fawcett. That's right, just Farrah and me and 40,000 other kids at UT Austin. Of course I didn't know her, but I was aware of her existence because she campaigned and was elected most beautiful something or other one year and I can remember seeing her handing out flyers in front of the union building. College culture, at least in Austin in '69 was sharply divided- jocks vs squirrels, straights vs heads, frat rats and sorority sows vs the unwashed masses. I fell into the latter camp on all counts. FF was I think a Tri Delt. That was the Hairspray Goddess sorority at the time. I don't think she stayed long enough to graduate.

Over time I developed a certain respect for her acting. She did seem determined to get beyond the teeth hair and cleavage thing and become a respectable actor. Supposedly O'Neal proposed marriage so many times over the years that her refusals became a joke between them. I wonder if she finally consented before the end.

Posted by: kguy1 | June 25, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

A tune cootie for Gov. Sanford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BjJbKQkgc

Live WH presser starting any minute. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2005/04/12/VI2005041201139.html

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Obit says she dropped out before graduating, Kguy, and makes no mention of marrying him, even though there was a report two days ago she finally might.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Many, many moons ago at the height of her popularity, Farrah came to my little desert town in SoCal to film something or other. At some point she wanted to play racquetball. A friend of mine's older brother was the racquetball guy at a club there and we got in to watch her play with him for a little while. I remember skulking around trying to be nonchalant because the brother would have been in trouble if it got out that he'd let us know about it.

It was shocking to see how tiny she was...tiny, tiny!

That's all I've got...carry on.

Posted by: Kim1 | June 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I finally watched Sanford's press conference. Curmudgeon is onto something. He hadn't been "groomed" and what we saw was the real Sanford. I think he said "bottom line" more than 10 times. Unbelieveable that he spent 10 minutes rambling on about his days on the Appalachian Trail! He obviously thinks his life is a Greek tragedy instead of being just another egotistical politician who thought no one would catch on. His repeated apologies reminded me of stuff you might hear at an AA meeting. It was just amazing to see how self-absorbed the idiot is.

Posted by: novelera | June 25, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@kguy: I went to college with someone famous: Anna Chlumsky (of "My Girl" fame). Given our age, all my friends and I were kind of weirded out by it. She was a child star and not a big celebrity any more, but we all remember that movie and half of us had a crush on her when we were 11 years old. We had some friends in common, but I found it really hard to talk to her without making Macaulay Culkin jokes so didn't really get to know her.

Of course, I should have hung out more at the law school. One of the professors soon became pretty famous.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hyattsville resident Ana Fernandez was killed in the Metro crash, leaving behind six children.

Two of her children are in high school with CPBoy at Northwestern High School in Prince George's county. Should you wish to help this family, here is the information:

Donors may drop off checks or cash at any Chevy Chase Bank location. Or mail checks this this CC Bank branch. Make the checks out to Nerio N. Fernandez or William S. Fernandez (the account is in both names). Her brothers and the extended family are coordinating the services and assistance for the children.

Chevy Chase Bank
PRINCE GEORGE'S PLAZA
6400 Belcrest Road
Hyattsville, MD 20782

----

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | June 25, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Sanford,
People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Posted by: jihadalready | June 25, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I usually don't repeat comments I've written in other blogs, but since we're talking about breaking rules:

Sex, infidelity, betrayal, heartbreak, they're all part of the human condition. That's why we're fascinated by the Sanford story. It evokes both pathos and anger over a broken social taboo. I'm not going to judge Gov. Sanford for his indiscretions. Falling in love can be entirely accidental and can occur even to someone married for decades. That doesn't justify adultry, but it should temper our indignation.

I also note the irony of Mr. Sanford's condition. Here was a man who has been very comfortable with the notion of government controlling the wombs of women he would never know now being shamed for sexual profligacy. Perhaps this experience will lend him enough perspective to at least leaven his postions on sex and the role of government.

Posted by: jp1954 | June 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

My entry in the Andrew Lloyd Weber-Mark Sanford mash-up derby:

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your vote after all that I’ve done
You won't re-elect me
All you will see is a governor who
Rejected bailout money
BUT to South America I flew

I had to go see her, I had to leave
Told my staff I was out hiking
Walking along the Appalachian Trail
But I flew southbound
Running around, trying to save my marriage
But my wife left me anyways

I kind of expected her to

Don’t fly me to Argentina
The truth is I have a mistress
All my right wing talk
My family values
We’re just a crock
To keep you clueless

And as for presidential ambition
I never got nominated
Though it seems that I was on McCain’s short list
I was already cheating
And I resigned from the Governors Association
Because I like riding my backhoe
And describing your tan line

Don’t fly me to Argentina
The truth is I still love her
All through my e-mails
My bad love poems
I broke my promise
Now I can’t go home

Have I shared too much?
There’s nothing more shameful I can do
But all you have to do is look at me
To know that my career is screwed

Don’t fly me to Argentina

(Thrust arms up in Richard Nixon peace sign)
(Curtain)

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Cows, I didn't see anything in the news reports about sex positions. I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered.

Oh, wait, you mean...

Uh, never mind.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

CowTown, we can only hope. But I doubt it.

Not bad, yellojkt. (Actually, very good - I can't write parodies or poetry.)

Posted by: seasea1 | June 25, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@yello: now I have an image of Sanford in drag.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Bravo!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 25, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

*memo to self: add "The Naughty Gaucho" to repertoire*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I need to look up the original, but looks good to me, Yellojkt!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I have been in love a few times, but I can't recall writing a "love letter" in my adult life. I have stumbled upon a few by others, and they all seemed sort of like the Sanford emails which I glanced at but refuse to read further. I have of course written to various loves in their time commenting on how I miss their company, and sometime that has been a strong feeling which I characterized as, straightforwardly, "strongly." That's about it.

I am unsure how unusual this makes me; whether I'm an unfeeling outcast, or a typical taciturn male; an anti-poetic lout, or whether I'm a sophisticate of unusual taste and depth. I literally don't know.

I suppose we should look at John Adams's letters to Abigail for comparative purposes. But then again, he was a Puritan. So I just don't know.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Apparently it's just been reported that the Metro driver's cellphone was found in her backpack. It may sound weird, but I'm really glad: maybe it'll finally put an end to all that speculation the poor woman was talking on it or twittering or some damn thing.

Anybody object to a general change of conversation away from Sanford? Anybody got an idea for a new thread? Another poetry throw-down? Best summer vacation ever? How about best general summer ever?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I really should not leave without posting this link to Adam's letters to ABigail:

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 25, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about the Metro operator, mudge. All I have seen indicates that the poor lady was doing her job and tried to avert the disaster and save her passengers and died in the attempt. Generally folks who behave in this fashion get full respect from everybody.

Posted by: kguy1 | June 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,

'The Naughty Gaucho' was up until now a Googlenope. You need to fill this niche.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

For RD_P who wisely suggested the use of French letters in the last kit:

In matters of love
French letters stoke and protect
the flame of passion

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 25, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, not being mushy in e-mails marks you as technologically savvy.

And writing to the point isn't all bad, especially if you would prefer to go into details over the phone or in person instead.

If you do want to dial it up a notch, don't go sappy about love per se.

Compliment, encouragement, expressing your feeling ("miss you" is good, as well as minor stuff about your life)-- those would be good going for any letters.

How you express that should be entirely your style.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with mushy in my books.

Posted by: Yoki | June 25, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that link-- the legalesque talk about love is quite witty.

Reminds me of some lawyers on this boodle.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll start: My Best Summer Ever

Of my 61 total summers, by far the very best was when I was 15 turning 16, the summer after 10th grade, and the circumstances couldn't have been more ironic (or kit-relevant).

During the previous winter (maybe November? december?) my father pulled a Sanford, sort of, and one dreary winter afternoon told my brother and me that he had fallen in love with some woman (we never did learn who), was separating from our mother, etc. The Big Speech. One upshot was my mother had a nervous breakdown and spent three weeks in a mental hospital (we didn't know where, were never taken to see her). When she came home, we moved out of our house in the sticks (that my father had built, from scratch), and moved to the borough of Hatboro, the prototypical Smalltown USA onto a street right down from Beaver Cleaver and Ozzie and Harriet. For the first time in my life, I could walk to school (5-6 blocks), and lived close to lots of schoolmates, instead being out in the boonies with a 45-minute busride to school, and very few friends in proximity.

So with all that doom and gloom, I actually loved living in Hatboro (I had hated the house we grew up in anyway). The three of us (mother, brother and me, sans dear old dad) lived 2 blocks from the municipal pool, which I joined. That summer, I also took a summerschool "enrichment" class in chemistry, with a cool teacher who taught us how to make bottle rockets, matchstick rockets, various explosives, etc. This was the first time I'd ever been in a "mixed" class of two grades (sophmores and juniors), and so got to know some upperclassmen for the first time.

So this was my daily routine: Get up, walk to school, take the (neat-o) chem lab class for two hours, walk through town to the soda shop with friends, have a soda fountain soda (usually a lime-rootbeer, my own concoction, although strawberry floats were sometimes on the menu, money allowing) and two pretzel sticks (25 cents tab, if memory serves).

Then walk home, change into swimsuit (a black Jantzen; loved that suit. Would buy one today if they still made that model). Walk two blocks to pool. Spend rest of day at pool, swimming, fraternizing, playing pinochle with nubile EK, reading. By end of summer hair was bleached blond, skin as tanned as Eric Estrada. Learned to smoke (first cigarettes: a pack of Viceroys. No idea why them). Learned to drink. Learned about girls. Played tennis in the evenings after dinner, sometimes with nubile EK.

Walked to movies. Walked to band concerts in the park. Walked all over Hatboro, to people's houses. Stayed up late. Went downtown to Phillies games.

Best. Summer. Ever. All because my father was a philandering schmuck.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 25, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Yoki.

Just that e-mails can be misfired to the wrong person, or accidentally copied-all, especially work e-mails, OR accidentally forwarded.

I like snail mail or in-person stuff.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

yello -- you are *masterful* !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 25, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@Mudge: Wow.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

That was such a great summer story that it's intimidating. I'd need a while to pick out a best summer. The good ones were either spent in the desert or devoted to sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, but not so much the rock n' roll.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ftb, et. al. I have another one in the works, but I want to do some photoshopping before I post it.

Great story, mudge. I can almost hear John Cougar writing a song about it.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I can't point to a discrete summer like that, Mudge, but I'll have a go.

The house I grew up in had a screened front porch (copper screening, IIRC). Long before air conditioning, it was a place to gather, a second living room, in the summer. There were two large brick pillars beside the steps and the screen door, and my mother planted hollies on either side so there was a fair amount of privacy even on an urban street.

There was an ancient glider with green leatherette cushions and a couple of spring metal chairs of a style that is coming back. Good, sturdy metal furniture. When we got a bit older, my parents bought a porch swing to use the hooks that were already there. Of course we wore through those hooks, with results that surprised us but caused no injuries.

The porch was a pleasant place from which to contemplate life. Maybe the best times were at night. My oldest brother had three daughters who were close in age to me, and the three of them, my brother, and I spent many happy hours playing there. I recall one visit where we decided we would all sleep on the porch, so we did, several nights. I think my mother put down a blanket or two for us to sleep on, and I hope we had enough pillows to go around. Young backs can take a fair amount of discomfort. I know we were quite the sight, all five of us in a row, for the newspaper carrier when he delivered the morning paper.

My parents sold the house in 1974 for $20,900. The neighborhood has always been good, but now it's considered inner city and it's popular. Last fall it sold for $334,000. The porch is still there, but it's no longer screened. I'll bet the new owners will never sleep on it, or enjoy it nearly as much as we did.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

CNN is reporting that Michael Jackson has suffered cardiac arrest. OMG!

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@slyness: Whoa. Has MJ made himself so ridiculous that there's no "too soon?" period required for jokes? I think so, but there was a time when this news would have people sobbing at their desks.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

His Wikipedia article already lists a death date:

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@slyness: and now it doesn't, but quotes family saying he's in bad shape. Sometimes the internet is so fast it's scary.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't trust Wikipedia. That said, it was right on Tim Russert before any news organization reported that he'd died.

I sure hope he pulls through. Michael Jackson may not be the greatest human being on the planet and is as weird as weird gets, but he's been a tremendous performer who's made our lives better -- more fun -- from a distance.

Posted by: joelache | June 25, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

RIP Micheal Jackson

Posted by: Boomslang | June 25, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

TMZ reports that Michael Jackson has died.

Posted by: joelache | June 25, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

TMZ says he died before paramedics arrived. None of the major news sites are saying so yet. They're pretty disreputable, but would they jump the gun when they already were the ones to break the hospital story?

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

The first story on CNN said he didn't have a pulse when paramedics arrived. If he had been down more than 4-6 minutes, the odds are not in his favor.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

LA times says he's not dead but in a coma.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind, they just confirmed he's dead.

Posted by: Southwester | June 25, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Poor Farah Fawcett... she has to share the limelight on the day she dies.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 25, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Now AP has confirmed it as well.

Ed, Farah, and Michael.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 25, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

After Ed McMahon and Farrah, Liz Kelly was wondering today on Celebritology who would be third. Now we know. God rest his soul.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Golly. Go to a couple of meetings and I miss the whole Sanford discussion. Okay, I won't rehash anything; much was already well said. Loved yello's song. I liked Gail Collins's suggestion that perhaps we rethink "contantly electing middle-aged heterosexual men" to important jobs. Boodle excepted, of course.

Loved the summer story Mudge, and thanks for sharing the porch with us, slyness.

Farrah and Michael Jackson were both fixtures of my youth. She, of course, had the hair every girl wanted (and almost nobody could sustain that haircut). The Boy and his friends just thought Michael Jackson was weird and creepy, so I've often described him fronting for the Jackson 5 as a little kid, and how he could really sing and dance. He lost his way somewhere but kept a lot of his talent for a long time.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 25, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Farah is sharing the limelight...she's not getting any light at all. NBC hasn't even mentioned her yet--it's been all MJ.

My middle daughter called me a few minutes ago--she's almost in tears. Meanwhile, my wife is cheering the death of a child molester.

I may have to go bowling or something.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | June 25, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll come with you, 'mudge, if I'm invited. I got nothin' on Michael Jackson, except a sad end to a sad life.

Posted by: Yoki | June 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

New kit. On MJ.

Posted by: joelache | June 25, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

While the MJ kit isn't attracting the worst trolls, I think I'll boodle here, not there.

Nice tribute, Joel, but it's been a long time since those Thriller days, and I never was much of a fan.

(Now, Weird Al Yankovic on the other hand...)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

So are we going to call that a JackoStorm?

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 25, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wilbrod, S'nuke-not sure what to call it but the overly worshipful comments are just as bad as the don't worship a perv rants.

FWIW-Sanford is in love with Maria, it's as plain as the nose on his face.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 25, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

HuffPost compiled a bunch of MJ videos:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 25, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's why I got skeeved enough to stay here, Frostbitten.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumor that Jeff Goldblum has died? Just heard that one.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 25, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

A Google hoax, according to a report.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks Wilbrod.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 25, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

New Zealand news sources are saying the Goldblum "news" is a rerun of the 1999 hoax, he is apparently still among the living.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 25, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Wikipedia does indicate that Sky Saxon (lead singer of "The Seeds" rock band fame) has died, but that's not fully verified yet.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

See Wilbrod beat me to it, but I just have to say two unknown celebrities should be breathing easier. Trouble in threes and all that.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 25, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody. Actually pretty tame over there on the other boodle. But I'll stay here and chat with you folks. After all, you're my peeps.

It will be interesting to see how MJ was found. The odds of surviving cardiac arrest are very small and approach zero the longer it takes to begin treatment. Death of brain cells begins 4-6 minutes after the heart stops - that I remember from my EMT training in the early 80's. I know of two cases where an arrest was witnessed and treatment started immediately, to no avail. Sometimes God calls us home.

Posted by: slyness | June 25, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Frosti, the gov is in love. I knew it when I saw parts of the news conference yesterday. He needs to do the right thing and just leave his wife. No sense dragging out the pain (been there).

The TV can’t get enough of MJ. Keith has been on since at least 7 pm talking to anyone and everyone about it. They’re speculating about his drug intake and rehashing his trials and money problems. Enough already!!

Posted by: badsneakers | June 25, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a man of little sexual experience who go his brains ****** out for the first time and didn't know how to handle it. Let this be a lesson to young men everywhere, play the field before you settle down.

Posted by: YesDear | June 25, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Badsneakers, I think this is what RD_Padouk was saying. There is a story-line that makes the public comfortable, but life doesn't slot so easily into that narrative.

And I think in the political realm people are feel easier when it is up-and-down, black-and-white. But what we never know is *how* any individual life is.

EYE think Sanford is in love the Maria, and should just leave his wife and, well, you know, do an Edward VIII, but that is a lot to ask of a pol.

Posted by: Yoki | June 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Sanfaord started unraveling about two or three weeks ago, when his wife gave him his walking papers.

The timing is interesting. His wife initiates the seperation and basically kicks him out. About 10 days go by, presumably he is living somewhere else, and at some point he begins to plan a vacation "getaway." Whether he really intended to go hiking I don't know, but I think he was coming apart even then. So he tells his staff he's going hiking, but hops on a plane to Argentina. The clue is not in what he did; it's in what he didn't do. He apparently was no longer planning and thinking rationally, but just extemporizing. It isn't that he took a walk-about (as they say down under); it's that he didn't tell his staff, just walked away from the job. So his breakdown started before he ever got on the plane.

---
Meanwhile, to escape the All-Michael All the Time TV, I'm watching a Kennedy center Mark Twain Award show to George Carlin.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | June 25, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I think you have it right, Mudge. I went out for a trail ramble with Wilbrodog and we saw plenty of pink ladys' slippers.

They're much bigger than I thought they'd be, they could indeed fit over the foot of a small baby, looks like.

I gotta remember my dang camera next time.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 25, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

As explained to me by an MD friend after the death of a neighbor from a heart attack, the younger the victim, the less the chance of survival. The heart is a powerful muscle and when it "seizes", it does so powerfully and has not the capacity to relax. One of the few times when comparative youth can work against the afflicted.

I have no idea what demons haunted Michael Jackson but for a person of talent to turn into such a strange caricature puzzles me, a sad day for his family and certainly for his children who are the true innocent victims here. May God give them peace!

Posted by: OregonStorm | June 26, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Since this is the barely breathing Sanford Boodle, I've gone and written another showtune for the wayward guv.

Maria . . .

The Argentine lady I just screwed:
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria . . .
My entire career is now a joke so lewd and crude…
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria . . .
Maria!

I just got back from seeing Maria
And there’s all this press
Asking about the mess
I’m in.

Maria!

I’m having an affair with Maria
Out chasing some tail
And hiking on a trail
Of sin!

Maria!

The divorcée that I’ve been banging
Left my political career hanging

Maria,

I’ll never stop seeing Maria

Worth throwing my job out the door.

Maria.

You can see the poster for it here:

Posted by: yellojkt | June 26, 2009 5:45 AM | Report abuse

I got nuthin' here, and I'm sure as hell not going over to the new kit. See ya in a day or two when the madness dies down.

***********
Today, etc.

June 26, 1784: Spain closes the Mississippi River to American shipping and trade; the ensuing 17 years of harassment and negotiation over use of the river finally lead a frustrated President Thomas Jefferson to make the Louisiana Purchase.
1982: A British Airways Boeing 747 becomes the world’s heaviest glider (until the space shuttle, anyway) when ash from erupting volcano Mt. Galunggung, Indonesia, clogs and stops all four engine, at 37,000 feet. Capt. Eric Moody gets the engines re-started after a record 13-minute glide and safely lands all 263 passengers in Jakarta. (Sometimes reported as being on June 24.)
******

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | June 26, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. There's some nasty stuff over on the MJ kit. What's wrong with those people getting worked up over DEAD celebrities? Jeez.

Mudge, at least Indonesia didn't waste any money on stoopid volcano monitoring back then.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 26, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping it's calmed down over in the other Kit, but we'll see...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 26, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Sally Quinn has a pretty strong and pretty good rant against the "political piety" of Sanford and Ensign, at http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/sally_quinn/2009/06/mockery.html?hpid=talkbox1

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 26, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

It seems to be a requirement at every conference in the public relations and corporate communications industry that you have a seminar on how to explain to your boss why your job is necessary. We can stop having those seminars now, and just play the video of this press conference over and over and over. See? This is why you need a good public affairs/public relations/communications person! When your mind is this messed up, you NEED someone at your side, equipped with a roll of duct tape, to get you to STFU.

Posted by: n_mcguire | June 26, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Clarification on my 10:46 posting, I'm referring to governor-for-now Sanford, not MJ. Maybe that's obvious, but I wanted to be sure.

Posted by: n_mcguire | June 26, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

He should resign, get a divorce and move to Argentina - in that order. I have no sympathy for right-wing judgemental Christian politicians, but I do think that if one finds real love, he/she should embrace it. Go for it Governor, just don't forget to resign and get divorced first.

Posted by: NMModerate1 | June 26, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sanford made a fool of himself at the press conference Wednesday. Then, Wednesday night, all the talk shows ridiculed him even more, especially when Keith Olbermann read those HOT emails in his own inimitable way! A sex scandal of this magnitude CAN be hilarious to those of us not involved but sitting in the audience!

Sanford stood there as though his zipper was still unzipped, in full disclosure!

He is a pathetic and hypocritical liar, and definitely should resign. If the people in S. C. do not force his resignation, that only strenghtens their reputation as being bible-thumpin' GOP wingnut wacko hypocritical crazies, led by none other than Lindsey Graham. He always manages to get his face in the picture, doesn't he?

Posted by: cashmere1 | June 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The new mini kit's up.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Now it's crazy everywhere.

I predict more traffic on this thread.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You're effing right Boko. Why are they getting so worked-up on this weirdo?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is worse, a hypocritical Republican who espouses family values while having an affair, or a hypocritical conservative who turns down free Federal money for an extension of unemployment benefits to poor South Carolinians but who doesn't mind spending his state's money to promote a trade mission to Argentina.

Posted by: ripvanwinkleincollege | June 26, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse