The Whole World Is Watching

Iran's leaders have prohibited journalists from covering the demonstrations today, so what's happening is sketchy. But information wants to be free -- there's no way to cover up tens of thousands of people in the streets and riot police hitting crowds with water cannons.

Here's the report from CNN.

Andrew Sullivan has lots of tweets from Iran.

Thugs seek to intimidate reporters. Here's the NYTimes: "A reporter from an American news organization said she had been called by a member of the paramilitary Basij militia warning her not to go to the venue for the Saturday rally because the situation would be dangerous and there could be fatalities."

Here's a Mousavi ally, writing in the Guardian:

The people in the streets don't want a recount of last week's vote. They want it annulled. This is a crucial moment in our history. Since the 1979 revolution Iran has had 80% dictatorship and 20% democracy. We have dictatorship because one person is in charge, the supreme leader - first Khomeini, now Khamenei. He controls the army and the clergy, the justice system and the media, as well as our oil money.

There are some examples of democracy - reformers elected to parliament, and the very fact that a person like Mousavi could stand for election. But, since the day of the election, this ­element of democracy has vanished. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei announced that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had won, and that whoever opposed this will be suppressed - a position he affirmed speaking today in Tehran. People wanted to have demonstrations within the law, but the authorities would not let them. This is the first time we have seen millions on the streets without the permission of the supreme leader.

Obama's taking lots of heat for not doing more. Jeff Goldberg defends the president: "Obama's strategy so far seems basically correct: He probably could give more direct and enthusiastic rhetorical support to the demonstrators than he's been giving, precisely because he's Barack Obama and could get away with it. But the idea that we should rush in and do something makes little sense at the moment. The overarching goal is to see the birth of a democratic Iran, not to make ourselves feel good, or get in the way."

[And by the way: Greetings from the Indianapolis airport....Headin' to a weddin...]

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 20, 2009; 11:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Infinitely Mind-boggling
Next: Golf, Revolution, etc.

Comments

First? Feliz boda, Joel.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 20, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Little green apples? Pawpaws, a.k.a. "Indiana bananas"? The apple variety named "Indiana banana?" (There is such a thing--a big, fairly bland, red apple that popped up at the Portland Nursery fall apple event).

For what it's worth, Florida isn't such a good place for edible pawpaws, but we do have lots of species. "Dog apples". A mini pawpaw (Deeringothamnus, federally listed) was called "squirrel banana" by the botanist who named it. Charles Deering paid for the botanist's expedition, while a "thamnus" is a Greek bush.

More seriously, the Post's opinion page today has a simple analysis by Beber and Scacco explaining why Iran's election numbers are fake.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 20, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

For those who want to follow current events in Iran:
Guardian

Huffington Post's Nico Pitney has been similarly live blogging for days.

National Iranian American Council

BBC

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 20, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I think Andrew Sullivan is quite right in his belief that the US needs to let the Iranians sort this out.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Of course, street thuggery and violent crackdowns on dissidents always demand condemnation. But we all know the dangers of being perceived as intervening in this country.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I guess I have to explain, so knotheads like Krauthammer can get it:

While it is imprudent for the U.S. President to make any more than the vaguest statements in support of democracy, it is NOT imprudent for citizens of the U.S. to speak out in our wishes for change to come to Iran. In fact, when speaking of democracy, the wishes of plain ordinary people everywhere should be the ones to consider. POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

I hope that's clear.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 20, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow - this is interesting - a NT Times reporter who had been kidnapped by the Taliban escapes:

I thought I must have missed this somehow, but the article says the kidnapping wasn't reported at the time it happened (Nov 2008).

Posted by: seasea1 | June 20, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

That was an interesting article about faking the election results.

More power to the Iranian people, and may we provide the support they need and not screw it up!

On a lighter note:

Posted by: slyness | June 20, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

jibjab is a funny company.

i like obama's caution about the iranian situation. what we don't need is trying to get involved in something we can't do anything about and feeding into the accusations that the west is driving the protests.

Posted by: LALurker | June 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Man, a stalker by proxy opportunity missed. Mr. F left Indianapolis early this morning headed for New Mexico via Chicago.

Have been compulsively refreshing Andrew Sullivan even more than the A-blog these last few days.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think everybody is waiting for that Tienanmen Square moment of the shot of Boris Yeltsin riding the tank. In China, the 10th anniversary went widely noticed in the US and officially suppressed in China. Russia is back in the hands of a reactionary thugocracy.

As much as I wish the Iranian movement well, the past decade has not been noted for rolling back oppression. Let's hope freedom can take root in Persian soil better than it has elsewhere recently.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 20, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Obama. We should not, as a government, say anything that could come back to bite us if the current regime remains in power. We are trying to talk with Iran, not continue to rattle our sabres at them. Of course, I'm rooting for the protesters. Wish we'd done that after the Scotus decision in Bush v. Gore. Of course we're too busy watching celebrities and stuff to rise up.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 20, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's a cute father's day video.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 20, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

FB, just checked out the tweetblog Andrew Sullivan has. Those videos are hard to bear (which is why I don't watch much TV news).

I think I'll be fine waiting for delayed, more coherent reporting.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 20, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, my dear sweet expletive! I've been sitting here at my computer for more than an hour, doing stuff other places and backboodling here, when I started to smell something sort of burning and wondered who it was who was doing something in the kitchen.

Well (shamefacedly) it were me! I had put some beets on to boil (gorgeous young ones they were from this morning's farmer's market) and forgot all about them. All the water was out by this time and the bottom of the huge pot was black inside and a little bit outside. I got them all nekkid after a bit and put them in an open glass container to cool before I put them in the fridge. The pot is soaking and with a little industrial strength Brillo I think I can make it manageably functional again.

Geezos-peezos. Lucky nothing caught fire or exploded.

As for Iran, I think the Krauthammars and Wolfensons of the world have such a sense of inadequacy -- just like all control freaks everywhere -- that they think *nothing* of invading other countries to show how ruff and tuff *they* are even tho it's obvious to everyone that they aren't the ones who do the actual invading. I mean, Iran isn't *our* country and neither is Iraq or Afghanistan, but suddenly we get to go and loot and plunder and kill to show that *we* are the *boss of the world*. Yeah, I would indeed be interested in what they consider to be their m@nhood, but, alas, I can't find my tweezers.

I sure hope this somewhat burning smell goes away soon.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 20, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

rt,
I did see the Hodgman routine. It was very hidden in the link I posted last night. He did a guest appearance on This Week In Tech with Leo Laporte some time back and was hilarious. I haven't read his books, but I intend to.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 20, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I just read Obama's statement. I think he has found precisely the right tone. Not that this will do anything much to influence events in Iran one way or the other, of course.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's something truly amazing about the events in Iran. The ultimate religious authority in that country is being defied by many. Something more powerful than religious funamentalism is motivating these people.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The question I'm asking myself here is whether Khameni and the folks running Iran from the non-elected side of the government will run out of patience and decide to quell the protests (and look good to the West) by throwing Ahmadinejad under the bus, or if they're already out of patience and will let Ahmadinejad and the military continue to ratchet up the use of force to quiet the situation, removing any doubt about what kind of a government they are.

My guess is the latter, which I think the theocratic leadership might file under the heading, "Better to go with the devil you know."

The world is indeed watching, and the Iraq leadership(s) might decide that it's beneficial for them to promulgate the image of toughness and perhaps even ruthlessness.

Governments who propogate the idea that citizens they govern can be considered hostages in certain situations can use that as a point of manipulation for international relations.

Some might consider North Korea an example of sorts.

bc

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 20, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I read Roger Cohen's astonishing column in the New York Times. He had been writing conciliatory columns about the Islamic Republic before the election. Now, this most gentle and gentlemanly columnist is out on the streets. I don't like to think about his witness and those of Pomfret, Kristoff, and Harrison Salisbury in Beijing during the protests, but it appears the Times's people have once again contrived to ensure that what happens is witnessed.

I'm surprised that Cohen is still in Iran. Could he be so innocuous that the authorities don't even notice him?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 20, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The Iran uprising is awesome. I'm glad we're on the sidelines and I hope we stay there.

Firsttimeblogger, you probably know this, but, two ways to clean a burnt pot (I just needed this twice recently). First, boil a couple tablespoons of baking soda, about half a cup of vinegar, and a cup of water (proportionate to the pot) for ten minutes or until it starts to disappear. If there's any gunk left, boil pure tomato juice for a while. That usually does it. These steps are a little easier than the Brillo pad to start.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

>The overarching goal is to see the birth of a democratic Iran, not to make ourselves feel good, or get in the way."

Get in the way of what? We'd be getting in the way of 3000 people being slaughtered. I don't know what the answer here is, but Obama is looking pretty weak right now.

Posted by: crogers23 | June 20, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Really? Diplomatic would have been my word.

I had a great time @ Panera's today with a friend of 40 years, who sometimes lurks here. I don't think she's ever posted. She's interested in Facebook, not as a participant, but as something to watch. She laughed and said, "You called it a while ago when you said I was a lurker." C'mon CJH! Play with us!

Ivansmom, I'm not sure anything could have salvaged the pots I've burnt, but I'm saving your instructions. ftb, I'm sure you're in good hands.

Have a good evening, all!

Posted by: -dbG- | June 20, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I think I see crogers point. It's fairly unlikely the Iranian regime will fall. Chances are they will kills thousands more protesters, and it will take another 20 years for a genuine democracy to take hold in Iran.

Instead we could be strong and try to speed things along by intervening and "saving" lives. We'd have an enormous job on our hands telling the guilty from the innocent, but the heck with it, kill 'em all and sort it out later works too. With luck, and all the blood and treasure we can bring to the fight, twenty years from now we could be handing the reins over to a nascent democracy.

Makes me glad the nerds are in charge.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 20, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

My friend in Iran (who I believe has dual citizenship in the US and Iran) writes again:

6/19/2009 Friday Prayers

The University of Shiraz has been closed indefinitely – mostly to protect the students from further harm. Although I do not know the name, I have heard that one student was killed in the clashes and one student blinded by a rubber bullet as he was studying in the library. Also, the President of the University of Shiraz – an Ahmadinejad supporter – resigned after being beaten by security forces when he was trying to protect a student. The professors of Shiraz University have signed a strongly-worded letter of protest.

Many feel the regime has finally shown its true colors. While the regime has tried over the years to cloak itself in the legitimacy of being of the people, for the people and voted in by the people, the recent post-election events have clearly shown the people that they are a dictatorship much like that of the former Shah. And they are making the same mistakes.

For everyone they beat, for everyone who witnesses a chase, a beating, an arrest and can't prevent it because they in turn are beaten, for everyone who witnesses this incredible show of force – they create more and more enemies.

People are not satisfied and are in fact more angered. We see it in the way people drive at night. We hear it as people complain to the police at the top of their lungs and argue with then when they can. We hear it in the honking of cars when people feel they can show solidarity without getting the @$@$%@ beat out of them. But these guys will not back down without a fight. I hope we are up for it.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 20, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

And today, my friend writes (I keep names and try to keep gender out of my posts to protect my friend who is sending out these accounts through email):

6/20/2009 The Day After Khamenei's Friday Prayer Speech

The tension is still strong in Shiraz. While we do not have the marches they have up in Tehran, people are dissatisfied. Everywhere I went in town today, people were talking in whispers to each other about the situation. We are a bit furtive in our conversation because we are not sure what someone on the other side might do.

People would tell me they wished something would happen - something more serious than a recount. Everyone was waiting to see what Tehran would do now that the demonstrations have been deemed illegal with threat of much more violent force.

In the afternoon the rumor around town was that demonstrations would happen around Alam Square (close to the University). Like many others in our town, we drove by to see what was going on – to see if there was anything to join. There were many pedestrians milling about – highly unusual for that time of day in that part of the city. And there were MANY cars. But the number of security forces – all types and colors – were absolutely staggering. The number of shakhsis were intimidating in particular as they drove around in huge numbers laughing, shouting Allah-u-Akbar and waving their batons. They are young and old – up to 70 years old is my guess in some instances! And they are itching for a serious showdown.

This is a showdown the people of Shiraz might not be up for. We just don't have the numbers showing up now that the University dorm has been emptied and Shiraz University closed indefinitely.

But when I went home tonight – after seeing a number of single men being chased through the streets, beaten and put on motorcycles to be taken to who knows where, after seeing a number of young men locked up in black metal trucks awaiting transport to prison – I joined my neighborhood in shouting Allah-u-Akbar from the rooftop, in a peaceful show of solidarity with my fellow Iranians whose choice has been robbed of them.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 20, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit that I'm not surprised at the Iranian government's handling of the election aftermath. They are truly run by a dictatorial leadership and, clearly, they want to control the people while giving the appearance of freedom for their citizens. I'm saddened by this but not surprised. I don't know what the answer is but I fear there will be more harm done as things progress. I think Obama is doing the right thing by letting things play out and taking the time to think through what position the U.S. will take. It's not like we haven't had a position on Iran for years but now is the time to be thoughtful of what we say publicly. After the last 8 years, we need to tread carefully through this mine field.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

There are two models to follow for dealing with Iraq. One is based on how we dealt with the Soviet Union. One is based on how we dealt with Iraq. And not only is the model based on Soviets far, far less risky, for all intents and purposes it is the really the only one we have available.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

SCC - I mean, of course, dealing with *Iran*

Really, it is rather rude for those two countries to be so similarly named..

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 20, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Powerful words from your friend, MotP. I was just reading Andrew Sullivan’s blog and came upon a truly horrible picture of a young Iranian woman dead on the ground. I feel so sad for the Iranian people. They are very brave. Sadly, maybe we need to see struggles like this to truly appreciate the freedom we have.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 20, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting the emails from your friend, MotP. I had heard there was rioting in Shiraz, but there is very little news from there, for obvious reasons. Toppling the regime would be very difficult. Perhaps silent protests, strikes are the only way to keep pressure on, without provoking the violence from the government forces. I don't see how the US could get involved, though. Seems like the UN should be doing something - but other than sanctions, expressing displeasure, not sure what options there are. Please let your friend know that our hearts are aching for them.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 20, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Will do Seasea, thanks for the kind words. I agree that help may need to come from outside but it's unlikely that the West will be able to do much. I'd like to see something come from other Mid-East countries, but that's even more unlikely.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | June 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

We know all about fake election results. Our gov’t specializes in it. When a candidate (especially those whose have close ties with the one who is in power) looks like he/she is about to lose to the opposition, sacks and sacks of postal votes will be dragged out from don’t know where. With the election commissioner not on the side of the opposition, they can only look on with anger and dismay.

The peaceful demonstrations conducted by the opposition in the past were punctuated by street thuggery and violence. These thugs were not opposition supporters. They were planted there by the ruling party to wreck havoc. The police seemed to know and just gave those thugs a perfunctory chase. Next day, the headlines on the newspapers would say the opposition is a violent lot.

Posted by: rainforest1 | June 20, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget Iran holds regular "Death to America" day and that they are quite popular, albeit increasingly staged in the last few years. Young ones don't remember the Savak but are well aware of the Revolutionary Guard hold on military, industrial and commercial interest. But still the US is largely regarded as the Great Satan so a restrained response is warranted.

I spent more than half the day installing a ceiling fan. I realized I shouldn't have switched brand. I installed 4 fans of a different brand over the year and I should have stuck with it. This brand was not installer friendly; many steps required 2 persons of significant strength. Live and learn.

Tomorrow: the British GP and getting the pool started. It's late but the weather's been cool, so nothing is lost. I also see a nice BBQ in my future. I'm thinking lamb and merguez sausages, roasted peppers, and tabouleh with pita bread, hummus and baba ghanouj.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 20, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

sd,
I feel your pain. Our ceiling fan needed replacing and I enlisted my son to help. The first step was taking the mattress and boxsprings out of the room. We also have a slope cathedral ceiling so everything was higher than normal and I needed to make a run to BigBoxOfHardware for an extended support. And my wife wanted a remote control on the fan. That was this huge box of wires that was supposed to fit in the ceiling cover. After five tries to shove all the wires in the cover and get it hooked to the ceiling we gave up and stayed with the hard-wired connection.

One of those great father-son bonding moments where you can pass on all the words to scream when things aren't going well.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 20, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

The younger Molsons bought the Canadiens. Molson and Canadien, that sounds strangely familiar.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 20, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I recently read Persepolis I which is a graphic novel about the Iranian Revolution from the point of view of a young girl adjusting to the repression of Islamic regime. Her family which was part of the intelligensia was very anti-Shah but came under extreme scrutiny because of their secular ideals. The current situation has a certain sense of deja vu.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 20, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Well yello, it was with my daughter who didn't had the hand strength to hold some things together but more than enough leg and back strength to support the whole assembly so that I could make the connections. It is remote-controlled. She also learned that saying 'hosti de criss de tabarnak" repeatedly helps screws fit in their holes more easily.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 20, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully now a return to glory for the Habs.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 20, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

And something to look forward to for the Calgary hockey fans.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 20, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

.sdrawkcab tuo gnimoc si tenmmoc ym nosaer emos rof dna tsef zzaj eht morf emoh

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 20, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I would recommend Persepolis (book or movie - although I haven't seen the movie), or Reading Lolita in Tehran for inside views of how people survive in these situations. There are still a lot of people in Iran who support those in power. I would hope that things calm down, and changes are made. I'm not hopeful that this election will be annulled.

I meant to watch Christiane Amanpour's report on CNN, but I missed it. Richard Engel has done some good reporting too, although he's in the US now.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 20, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

frosbitten is off the wagon, again.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 20, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

SCC frostbitten *hic*

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 20, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

That was painful. Apparently watching Washington Week on my 'puter does something that causes each typed letter to be inserted before the previous letter so everything comes out backwards. Not just here in the boodle either. Had to restart to get back to normal.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 20, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

At least I think it was watching WW what did it, could be the Hep Cat Blonde Ale I drank from Flat Earth Brewery.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 20, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, that's some fancy code!

Posted by: seasea1 | June 20, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Dave mentioned this article at the top 'o the boodle. It made me think that somewhere, RD's wife has come up with the same statistical conclusion. Interesting that 7's and 9's are involved.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Just popping in before bedtime -- the Scientists have landed.

Posted by: ScienceTim | June 21, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

The Blackhawks have had one outdoor match scheduled for each of the past two or three seasons. If the Flames v. Leafs outdoor match pans out, it'll take a hardy fan to watch that one in its entirety.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

They are a hardy breed in the Canadian west Jack. Game temps when they played in Edmonton -18 (before windchill).

I think the Leafs/Habs should have a game at the Olympic Stadium in Monteal, has that been done?

Posted by: dmd2 | June 21, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

If they have it, in that venue, they *have* to play ELP's cover of Fanfare For the Common Man when the players hit the ice. Real loud. At least one iteration of ELP's take on Fanfare was recorded at Olympic Stadium, for the acoustics, I guess. Ever seen the Pink Floyd film that was shot in some ancient stadium? My memory is fuzzy, but I think they chose that venue to see what kinds of sounds they could generate be varying the volume and equalisation through their PA.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Fanfare, from the Olympic Stadium, Montreal:

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Here are Hodgman's official answers:

shai hulud; thumper; water of life

And Neil Gaiman's take on the Hodgman roast of Obama:

@hodgman I found myself trying to work out whether Thumper meant this was Dune or Bambi, then realising they have pretty much the same plot.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Pink Floyd - Pompeii - Echoes (my favorite Pink Floyd song...and one of the first things I ever looked for on youtube):

Posted by: seasea1 | June 21, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Happy Father's Day to all the dads!

Posted by: rainforest1 | June 21, 2009 4:01 AM | Report abuse

A plant that pretends to be ill. That's so cute...

Posted by: rainforest1 | June 21, 2009 4:04 AM | Report abuse

Aha, so THAT's the ELP version of "Fanfare," I'd heard snippets of it often enough but didn't know the title...

Wasn't Molson already Canadian?? What???

When a government stays in power partly through the illusion of democracy, eventually people will make the illusion real. I fully expect there'll be a fight over it this time, though. *SIGHHHHHH*

Although yesterday's PT wasn't too bad, various bosy parts are complaining this morning... *L*

The Nats have actually won four in a row! *peeking out the window to make sure the sun actually came up* And it's good the Sawx finally saw the light on Dice-K; with the embarassment of pitching riches they have, no need to continue flogging him before they know what the issue is.

*waiting-for-the-lawn-to-dry-out-before-mowing Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. It's a very quiet rainy day in the other federal capital. The only sound breaking the quiet is coming from the Snoring Gargoyle.
The Canadiens were owned by the the Molson family. This generation sold it to Gillette for about $200millions 8-10 years ago. Those who just bought the team for $550 are the grand-children of the sellers.

It's a start at the British GP.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 21, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Happy Father's Day to Joel and the wonderful fathers in the boodle.

Rain has stopped here, cloudless sky and warm temperatures - great for an activity filled day. I was hoping the US Open woul be on but it is raining there.

Jack, Fanfare would be perfect for a hockey game at the stadium, I remember when they made that video, having a discussion about it with my brother.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 21, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and safe travels and safe digging, SciTim!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

jack - thanks for linking to that statistics story! What a brilliant analysis. And, to my mind, pretty darn compelling.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 21, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle. And a special wish for a good day to the all the fathers in our fellowship.

Spent Saturday evening with #2; Persian food followed by a late showing of The Hangover. The movie is definitely not to all tastes, but we laughed a lot.

Onward!

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all, and happy father's day to the dads amongst us.

I've been thinking about my father this morning. He was such a remarkable person. It's hard to believe that he's been gone 28 years.

It's a lovely cool morning in the high country, with sunshine and a nice breeze. I think I'll sit on the porch and crochet a bit, while Mr. T works on his stairway project.

Posted by: slyness | June 21, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Happy Father's Day, fellow Dads and Granddads.

Spitting here again today, but will probably clear. I think this is the fourth or fifth day of the It-Will-Rain-for-Seven-Days prophecy, which is holding so far. We got rained out of going to the boat yesterdsay, so we;'re going back now. Gotta change the oil in two engines, finish the hatch re-build, and finish repairing the helmsman's chair. (Yes, it's always one &^%$ thing after another.)

Everybody have a good day.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | June 21, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

To all fathers, have a happy day. Raining, windy and cold here. They say this is a summer nor’easter and will last thru at least Tuesday. So what else is new? Yesterday was sort of sunny and humid but that just makes this weather more insulting.

A few chores and a new scallop recipe to make at “S”’s request. He doesn’t ask often, and his children are too far away for visits (he’s had the phone calls already).

Posted by: badsneakers | June 21, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Howdy everyone. A big thanks to Ivansmom for the advice on cleaning burnt pots. As it turns out, the Brillo took care of it just fine. However, I still need to clean the stove top. Gratefully, it's a glasstop stove, so I'll just get the cleaner out for that purpose.

As I lolled in bed this morning, deciding whether to get up, I added up the errands I had planned for today. I've already taken one off the list. Was gonna go to Shoppers to get some stuff, but I decided it can wait until maybe next weekend. Gonna do what my mom used to call "book work" (balance checkbook, enter stuff in ledger, pay bills for coming week, etc.) instead -- well it needs doing anyway. Otherwise, it's going to be a lolling kind of day.

Bought a new bridge set yesterday (cards and tally -- already have the table and chairs) in anticipation of a game coming up at my place in early July. July ... are we actually almost there already? Time is just racing by. That is definitely not the point, I mean really!

Hope all the dads among us have a terrific dad's day. And I hope the same to the rest of us, too.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

For my first Father's Day, our little one performed a new trick: she ate her first non-breastmilk food! I shouldn't say solid food, of course, since it was hardly that but the days of baby food and bowls being flung about the house are close upon us!

Hey, I was married in Indianapolis! Don't suppose JA went back in time to attend, though ...

Posted by: Southwester | June 21, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Southwester! That's a big step. Let us know when she's able to secure 23 Rice Krispies to her face and have them all stick.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

*faxin' Southwester a dozen gross of WetOnes Family Pak* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 21, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Good morning and Happy Father's Day, folks.

A good busy weekend -- a nice Father's Day breakfast with the girls, a fabulous dinner and evening out, a good morning run, auto racing and golf on all day (And I'll be watching - well, DVRing - the NASCAR in Sonoma today. It's zesty stuff when they hit the road courses.) when I'm not working on the cars (the Olde German Sedan needs some door lock relays replaced -- and they're soldered in. *sigh*), and a movie later.

And SD, please don't post the results of the British GP -- here in the US, FOX is showing it on tape delay later this afternoon...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The internet is getting better in some ways. Today I learned (with the best-guesses being at least from experts and not my napkins) that if you drill a hole about 23,000 feet deep ... about 7 km... at the equator of the moon, you should hit the zone above the freezing point of water.

Here's an old trick for cleaning pans: put some dishwasher detergent and hot water in the bottom, then mash some aluminum foil down as close to the burned / dirty part, and fill up the rest of the way with more of the solution. Let soak all day. The aluminum acts as a very strong booster to the detergent.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 21, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Happy Father's Day to all the Boodle dads!

Just waiting on the time difference to call my dad!

Posted by: Moose13 | June 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Not surprisingly, some elements of the Iranian media - at least those sympatheic to the current government - are stepping up the accusations towards Western governments and media. Hopefully, they'll turn their attention to that more than they'll turn weapons on Iranian citizens.

On completely different topics, I may have to watch the new ABC mini-series "Impact" -- presumably involving some sort of lunar asteroid impact that knocks the moon from its current orbit into on that intersects the Earth. The classic "Here comes the End in Slow Motion," story.

Watching the Iowa IndyCar race with the sound off while I'm doing chores and whatnot, and noticed that the cars' rear wings are leaving nice vapor trail vortices off of the corners.

I think it's pretty.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 21, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The "book work" is done, the stove has been cleaned to leave no remnants of yesterday's beet disaster and I've wrapped a present for a friend whom I'm to meet tomorrow for lunch. She and I are 20 days apart (she's older, of course) and we always celebrate our birthdays with lunch and a book.

Now that August is looming (hey -- if July is looming, so is August), tomorrow's lunch signifies the celebration of last year's birthdays. Well, it just takes us awhile, yanno! I have yet to give my present to another friend who's birthday was the end of April and another who's birthday was in early March. We just merely take our time. . .

It's gonna be a busy week, and I hope to get back to the gym, having been there only two days last week. Gotta keep that gumption level up and try to make an evaluation appointment with the PT this week, too. The shredded cartilage in the left knee is catching more and more, and I don't like that much. It is quite painful. Now, if I can hold off until my Medicare kicks in (should it still be there in two years and two months), then maybe I'll do something about it.

Will try to get the Mac this week and get someone over to convert everything for me. When I come back (which may take awhile, I think I'll wear my nickname: ftb. I think it suits me, now that I've worn it for a bit of time ... unless I've worn it out (oh, dear, I hope not!).

Maybe it's now time to take a look at the paper. Old news by now, indeed.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 21, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

SCC: not "who's" ---> it's "whose"

*so embarrassed*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | June 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

About time for the Horrible Mosquitoes from the Planet of Death to begin biting. They hit me every square millimeter not doused with industrial strength repellent yesterday.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Happy Fathers' Day boodle! I am giving Mr. F the gift of watching all 3+ hours of Lost in Austen while he is out of town, that and a t-shirt from Our Fair City's fire dept. To say they're made and sold in a very limited edition would be an understatement.

CqP-bought a heap of perennials this morning at the farmers market and a rhubarb plant. I've killed three supposedly unkillable rhubarb divisions thus far so we'll see if this one succeeds where others have perished. It only took a decade+ to get the hang of columbines.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 21, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Happy Father's Day to all the dads, and soon to be dads!

I am in a totally silent world except for the tinnitus. It's so odd, everything so quiet, yet the noise from my ears is so loud, I can hardly enjoy the quiet. My hearing-aid went out on me this morning while at church. It's so frustrating, it really is, but there's nothing I can do.
Vacation Bible school starts tomorrow, what a time for the hearing-aid to go out.

Did anyone read Kathleen Parker's op-ed this morning? She states that SC is tired of its racist image, after the comment made by the guy concerning the First Lady. I beg to differ. I think she's dreaming, and someone needs to wake her up. That's a badge of honor for those folks in SC. They pride themselves on being different, and upholding the tradition of the only true "White folks". Parker needs to recheck her sources. Some years ago, my family and I went to a restaurant in SC, and they never offered us a seat. Totally ignored us, as if we were invisible. And some of you here have met me, so you know there's no way I can play "invisible". I get nervous just riding in a car in SC, and I'm almost within walking distance of the state line.

Why should the US or President Obama say anything concerning Iran? The Iranians seem to be doing a pretty good job of expressing themselves.

It's still hot here, and according to the weather person, that's going to be case for awhile. Have a great rest of the weekend, folks.

What's up, Scotty, Yoki, Slyness, Mudge, Martooni, and all the gang? *waving*

Posted by: cmyth4u | June 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Cassandra, dear! I didn't know that you suffered from tinnitus. What a horrid affliction. I had it once for about two weeks after being mis-medicated, and they were the worst two weeks of my life (almost).

There was a fantastic article about new treatments for it in the New Yorker a while back, just a few months.

Hold on, I'll email you the whole thing (copyright be darned) if I can.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I hate tinnitis, Cassandra.

As I don't try and hear the world through it, I just focus on blocking it out. Must be doubly frustrating for you.

And yes, I agree with you on South Carolina. There are always folks who are mentally living in 21st century America, but there are still plenty of bigots running amok down there to make progress hard.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 21, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's. Kerric has just arrived and I am hoping they cook for their Dad, cause otherwise I am going to have to do it. Its ok, weither way I suppose. We are grilling pork chops, corn on the cob and I'm not sure what else all, but I am looking forward to it.

Posted by: --dr-- | June 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The bunny war continues. “S” went out this morning and bought one inch chicken wire which he put over the two inch chicken wire that the baby bunnies were still able to get thru. A few hours later we look out and see a baby bunny in the garden. Turns out that the last layer of fencing was loose near the site of the original chewed out piece and the bunny got in thru there. Now that area has been wired together and I hope that does it. If not, the next step is an electric fence (kidding). I have no idea what the next step could be -armed guards? We’re definitely approaching Elmer Fudd territory here.

The new scallop recipe was great. We had brownies a la mode for dessert and then a nice nap. Still rainy and windy with no break until Thursday. Ugh.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 21, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, did your son email you that Fathers' Day video? My daughter was just telling me about the vlog brothers the other day, making me watch some of their work.

She's also been nagging me to watch Persepolis; I think I will get to it this week.

I hope everybody had a nice day, being a father or remembering a father or honoring the concept of fatherhood in the abstract, or whatever.

Posted by: kbertocci | June 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Am I in Conventory for a partcular post or just for general attitude?

Boko

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

kb,
I actually subscribe to the vlogbrothers and found it on my own. It's almost as embarrassing to admit to as being an iCarly fan.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 21, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Boko! Is that you? How ya doing?

I loved the video on yellojkt's blog too.

My PBS station broadcast Rick Steves' Iran program this afternoon - I missed the first part (again), but would recommend it if it's on your PBS station. I think they rescheduled this, and it was a fundraiser, with Rick Steves adding some insight (but I think it was pre-recorded last Jan or so). He was in Iran last year. Here it is on the web:

He's mostly in Tehran, I think, but also goes to Shiraz and Persepolis. Very interesting, and a bit heart-breaking in light of recent events.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 21, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Boko!!!

Oh, Boko, not in Coventry at all. So very glad to see you. Relieved, even.

Though we *totally* love your bad-boy self. Well, at least EYE do.

Welcome home. Speak.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Howdyalike my new name?
Score 10 on the vivid scale, eh?

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say, I like Boko better. Now that I googled Boomslang, I'll try to forget what it is...Nice to see you back!

Posted by: seasea1 | June 21, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry seasea, but Eastern Hog-nosed (my second favourite snake) don't get no respect.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I live with tinnitus everyday of my life. The noise never stops. It with me constantly. The only relief is sleep. When I wake up, it greets me in the morning. We all have our crosses to bear, but life is good.

My grandsons are here! I'm so glad to see them. They're going to be here for some time. It's good to have someone here with me, and especially my boys. In a few days, I may have a whole new perspective of this.

Boko, what's up? So good to hear from you.

Posted by: cmyth4u | June 21, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Tinnitus is very common among WWII pilots. The scream of Merlin engines was particularly bad.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Boko, I don’t like your new name. Like seasea, I, too, googled and I’m trying to forget what I saw.

Posted by: rainforest1 | June 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I was a little nervous to google boomslang, but it really is a snake - a funky green one - kinda cute.

Welcome back Boko.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 21, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

We're cool with boomslang as long as Buddy didn't change his name.

The frostcats.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | June 21, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

The Boomslang is a kindly little green retiring snake. Nothing like your Fer de Lance at all. Cool name but really nasty.
We used to scare ourselves by poking Massasauga rattlers when I was a kid up in/by Georgian Bay.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Boomslang! LTNS. IIRC, the only time in my life I was in the vicinity of Georgian Bay was a visit to St. Joseph's island. We kind of looped around southeastern Canada that summer. We visited Sudbury and saw the Falls when they were turned off. Many hours on the King's HIghway. Long before I discovered the wonders of Brador.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm worried. Really.

Posted by: Yoki | June 21, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

That is quite the trip - Niagara to the North Channel.

The North Channel is amazing.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 21, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

not to worry, Yoki. Boys will be boys.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

wow. killed it.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I loved our cottage at Penetanguishene. We were across the bay from the Oak Ridge facility for the criminally insane. It lent fireside stories about prosthesis devices left in car doors a certain poingnancy. Especially when the sirens went off.
Great summers, we used to surf the laker's wakes in our Sunfish. All wood, canvas sails. God, I'm old.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

me too, Boomer. Off to the MD tomorrow for a post op, to remove the steristrips from my neck, and reveal, what I hope will be, minimal reminders of what passed in the OR.

Posted by: -jack- | June 21, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

SCC- only 1 sail, lateen rigged.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 21, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Nasty hot here today, 98. A black racer was cooling off in the shade against the house on the front patio.

Boomer is the name of a begonia cultivar, fairly large round fuzzy leaves, only about a foot tall, but spreading.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 21, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, DotC, Boomer is much better - thanks!

Posted by: seasea1 | June 22, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Fuzzy and spreading. Hard to argue with that.
Neck scar wise I've got a ten inch one across the the front that the surgeon is quite proud of. He hid it in a natural crease. Nice job.
I blame pirates.

Posted by: Boomslang | June 22, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Boomer was also one of the pilots on Battlestar Galactica.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 22, 2009 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Why am I getting up early to work?

Posted by: russianthistle | June 22, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Boko!
I spent the longest day of the year mostly outside yesterday. We were gratified by a nice sunset. But it was a long day, 06:30 to 17:00 to do shopping chores and opening the pool and 17:30-11:45 walking around as a volunteer for the security at the St-Jean celebrations.

The Acadian Supergroup 1755 brought down the house, or shook the trees, or whatever happens when the show's outside. No rain actually fell despite the nasty forecast. Iwas good to spend some time with Witch no. 2 and share a 11:00pm poutine!

One more day to bass season opening. not a minute too soon.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 22, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, Weed. Why?

'Morning, Boodle. Well, at least we'll have RT at the Dawn Patrol muster this morning. Coffee's on, and no dobt slyness will have some ham biscuits along any momement. Weed, do you know how to find the Ready Room? Third Quonset hut on your right, just past the hangars. Yes, I know: it used to be in the French Norman chateau that we used to use as squadron HQ, but a lucky Bosche bomb from a dirigible raid got it, and we've been using the Quonset huts ever since, until the chateau is repaired.

Got a busy day today:

************
Today in Nautical and Aviation History

June 22, 1607: Capt. Christopher Newport departs Jamestown, Va., with a cargo of what later turns out to be Fool’s Gold, not the real thing; he left behind 105 starving colonists.
1611: After a hard winter in newly discovered Hudson’s Bay, mutineer Henry Greene puts ashore in James Bay his captain, Henry Hudson, and other crew of Hudson’s Discovery, and sails for England. Hudson and his men are never seen or heard from again.
1811: The notorious “Chesapeake Affair” becomes a major contributing cause of the War of 1812 as the British frigate HMS Leopard orders the American frigate Chesapeake to hand over three alleged deserters. When Capt. James Barron refuses, Leopard opens fire on an unprepared ship. Barron then attempts to surrender but the offer is refused. Finally Leopard takes the three crewman. Barron is court-martialed, cleared of cowardice but convicted of failing to clear his ship for action.
1941: The greatest single day’s loss of aircraft takes place as Hitler launches Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of Russia, during which the Luftwaffe destroyed 1,489 Russian airplanes on the ground and another 322 in the air. Germany lost only 35 planes that day.
1948: The government cancels funding of the Navy’s Earth Satellite Vehicle Project, despite a Rand Corp. study that predicted a possible satellite launch within five years. The study recommended a four-stage rocket and described (correctly, as it turns out) the various mathematical and physical problems that had already been solved that would make such a project feasible. Similar Army and Air Force projects are also cancelled, and it is six more years before such a project is funded again, on June 21, 1954. Had the program continued, it is possible America might have launched a satellite as early as 1953 instead of the actual first launch in 1958—after the Russians had put up Sputnik and started the Space Race.
*********

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 22, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

FYI, Susan Jacoby has this to report in the Secularists's Corner blog: "President Obama has told the members of the President's Council on Bioethics, appointed by his predecessor, that their services are no longer needed. A White House spokesman said that the Bush council was being disbanded because it was designed to be "a philosophically leaning advisory group" and that it would be replaced by a new council offering "practical policy options." In fact, Bush's bioethics council was notable for being stacked with conservative ethicists and biologists who opposed embryonic stem cell research and were sympathetic to the religious right's positions on matters ranging from the medical use of marijuana to laws that allow physician-assisted dying."

All well and good...except why is this reported as a topic in a religion blog? Why wasn't it a news story first?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 22, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

The NYT had it: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/us/politics/18ethics.html?ref=todayspaper

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | June 22, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Mudge... maybe I need some Rice Krispies with the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: russianthistle | June 22, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is recovering nicely from the solstice celebrations. Man, that mead really go to your head doesn't it?

So many complicated things going on in Iran. It is impossible to force these events into a simple narrative, except, of course, that they are shattering so many narratives. Not the least being the myth of Iran as a fundamentalist monolith.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 22, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle.

This is an over-simplification.

In the late 1980s it was the distribution of news by FAX that brought rhe Soviet regime down.

Today in Iran we have a similar situation with internet, cell phones, and social networks.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | June 22, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Weed, you can't always get whatcha want, yanno...

Yoki, you said something about "Hangover" not being for all tastes?

*faxin' you a gold star for "Understatement o' the Week"*

bc, NukeSpouse and I found a few snortworthy moments, but how in the world did the censors stop at an "R" rating???

I also found last night's rerun of "Mythbusters" to be highly snortworthy -- a "terminal-velocity skydiver" hits a see-saw, lanuching a child-sized crash test dummy about 130 feet up and about as far distance-wise. The original urban legand is that a young girl landed (safely, apparently) atop a 7-story building after such an energy transfer.

*keeping-an-eye-on-the-sky-this-manic-Monday Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning all, beautiful day here, clear and hot.

Grad day for the eldest - Morning brunch with classmates then hair, makeup. She has already had the pedicure and manicure and had about 4 inches cut off her hair. I will be driving them to school in a few minutes, just as I drove her her first day of Junior Kindergarten - 9 years later - it all went so quickly - bracing myself for the warp speed of high school.

Enjoy your holiday Shriek.

Off to stuff my purse full of tissues to get me through today.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 22, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Ai chihuahua...

I know we turn to Wiki as a handy resource, but this is a bit much...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

It was the Youtube links on the google news page I found odd.

Posted by: dmd2 | June 22, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I will blog later today but am off to check out a spaceship.

Very nice morning here in DC. I wish I could just putter around and watch golf.

Posted by: joelache | June 22, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Joel! Hope the trip to the heartland was pleasant.

Sorry to be a bit late, my morning schedule was unbalanced by a telephone call from Mr. T while I was brushing my teeth. Amazing how something so mundane can mess up a routine.

Anyhoo, hope everyone enjoyed the ham biscuits. The doctor has me off wheat, so I will be depending on you folks to tell me how they are.

Gonna be a scorcher here today, so outdoor tasks will be either very early (already past the time) or late. I came back in soaked from my walk.

Have a good one, folks!

Posted by: slyness | June 22, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could be ‘soaked’ from a walk in something other than rain. Home this morning with the granddaughters. One is catching a cold and is content to watch TV, the other has already made quick work of the one crafty thing I had for her to do. Don’t know how I’ll keep them entertained all morning.

Rainy and blowing up a storm, literally, here. No damage, just lots of leave pieces all over the ground and high tides promised for later today. I saw that Mythbusters with the girl on the seesaw. I love how they all get so excited about the process and results.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 22, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Man, I wanna check out a spaceship. Sounds fun.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 22, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Replacing the trusty Accord with a spaceship Joel? That's strange.

It's so beautiful outside I should have taken the day off today as well.
A co-worker is back from Atlanta. He spent last week over there with his wife. He reports the Georgia Aquarium is better than never but that Atlanta is stinkin' hot and muggy. And it ain't even July yet.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 22, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

While Joel is going to see a spaceship, I'm off to see a man about a horse.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 22, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Iggy:

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 22, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

SD, welcome to the South. August is the month to dread.

Posted by: slyness | June 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Krugman's take on Froomkin:

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 22, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Howdy Boodle,

Once again, a civil rights ruling in which Thomas issues an opinion dismissing the efficacy of civil rights legislation, ignoring obvious examples of racism that remain, even in the Age of Obama. Is there a more famous member of a minority group who expresses more self-hatred than Clarence Thomas?

Posted by: Southwester | June 22, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Greetings from Ocean City, Maryland! We've had a lovely mix of rain and sun, but the fun is all about the company!

Four sisters, five children, one girlfriend, three husbands, one son-in-law and one granddaughter/great niece so far. Arriving in a couple of days: three more (grown) kids and another girlfriend. Lots of laughs, love and food. FUN!

Posted by: -TBG- | June 22, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

A pretty interesting lawsuit in the works regarding torture and the Bush admin. (lawyers 'mongst the Boodle take note): http://www.slate.com/id/2220805?nav=wp

I think Krugman is largely correct about the Froomkin firing, but ONLY to the extent that his analaysis extends to the op-ed/editorial page. I think it is a mistake to think of the Post (or some other papers) as a monolithic organism. Some are, but some aren't. I think part of the problem is we tend to think of the Post (or to *want* to think of the Post) as ideological monolithic. But there is evidence to the contrary.
---------

Soooooooooooooooooo jealous of TBG...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Having run businesses and departments over the years, I have grown to appreciate the advice given to me early on:

It is an amazingly rare employee that had NO VALUE to the organization.

If you have an employee that you just have to get rid of, you still have work that needs to be picked up by someone else.

As the Post trims away, they are getting much more than "fat." There is a problem when blanket early retirements are offered to any pool of employees, usually the most attractive candidates will take the buy-out with new package elsewhere in hand first.

Froomkin liked what he was doing. We have both happening at the same time. My greatest fear is to have to suscribe to the Northwest Current to read Joel A.

Of course, he could also keep me abreast of good deals on used patio furniture while he toils away.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 22, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

OK, I've been thinking it over carefully, and I've decided I don't give a rat's patoot how many people are already jammed into TBG's OC condo (apparently 15), I think we ALL ought to redevous over there for virtual lunch. What's another half dozen or dozen people? We can walk down to the beach and eat there. Let's just round up some cold cuts and hoagie rolls, and some cold sodas and some bags of chips. We change into swim suits at the condo (no civvies on the beach, people!!!). 12:30. Be there or be square.

Who's in? CP? Yoki? Scotty? (Bring S-Spouse.) bc? slyness? badsneaks? Weed? Padouk? Jumper?

C'mon, I'm determined to get my tootsies wet in the surf (I don't care how cold it is).

Oh, one other rule: no speedos.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey.. there's room on the deck for everyone! Come on down the owe-shun!

Posted by: -TBG- | June 22, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

You know I'm in! Goat cheese with good crackers and excellent sliced cantelope come with me!

Posted by: slyness | June 22, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse is bringing a flan... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I'm there and my alter-ego is going to work for me. I'm bringing some ribeye steaks to grill. How about some cucumber salad and homemade french fries to go with them?

Posted by: russianthistle | June 22, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

TBG - would you mind terribly putting a few flares on the beach surrounding a flat area of stable sand?

It would help just gobs.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 22, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

For those interested the final few holes of the US Open are etremely interesting, great stories, Duval's comeback, Phil Michelson playing under the strain of his wife's illness and then the kid trying to hold off the experienced players.

Tough to choose a favorite each has their own special story.

Have fun in the surf TBG and clan

Posted by: dmd2 | June 22, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Can I bring dessert? I get a lot of compliments on my linzertorte.

Posted by: Southwester | June 22, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

My sisters think we're all crazy. I can't wait until they meet you all!

SWer... linzertorte sounds wonderful! It ALL sounds wonderful! See you soon!

Posted by: -TBG- | June 22, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the lifeguard is whistling at me -- I seem to have drifted southward past the swimming flag.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If they don't show up pretty soon CP or Yoki is going to get the last-one-in/rotten-egg award.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wind socks and flares all set up, RD.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 22, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

TBG's condo sounds like one of those brain teasers where you have to guess who is related to whom and how. I think there are a total of three people and one is his own grandmother.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 22, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I think my raft has a leak.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Going back to the original thesis of the kit, I found it quite telling yesterday while watching the Comedy Hour (aka, the McLaughlin Group) that O'Donnel, Clift, and Buchanan all agreed that Obama's measured response on the Iran situation was exactly right. Only that idiot Monica Crowley thought he didn't go far enough, but she wouldn't espouse what she thought the president should say.

On the subject of space ships, we finally got the time to go see the new Star Trek movie and enjoyed the h*ll out of it. We saw Angels and Demons last week, and while it was OK, it didn't rise to the level of The DaVinci Code.

Posted by: ebtnut | June 22, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I'm heading over to TBGs OC place and per your request - sans Speedo.

Er, maybe just a coat of EV olive oil, and I'll just hang out on porch and keep a towel handy to wrap up when the kids are around.

Bringing a big steamer pot, a couple of coolers and a box full of spices, onions, garlic, parsley, wines, vinegars, etc. to do up some mussels, clams, crabs, lobstah, etc. It'll be cookin' all afternoon, just like me.

When do we play beach football like the Kennedys?

Hm. There *are* some spaceships just a couple of exits down the road from me at the Udvar-Hazy center...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 22, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute! I want one of RT's steaks and some of the Linzertorte. A hard boiled egg is all very well, you like that sort of thing, but not when all this delicious food is laid out.

Did RD_P arrive in a black helicopter?

Posted by: Yoki | June 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Kodak's discontinuing Kodachrome. At best (such as Kodachrome 25 from the early 1970s) it had great longevity and rendered color magnificently.

Meanwhile, here, it's too hot to bother going to the beach. 97. Yuk.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 22, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hang on, Yoki, he's arriving right now. Wow, those things make a lot of noise. Even on the beach...

It's down now. NO, RD, HEAD TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE CHOPPER, NOT THE BACK!!!!

Whew, that was a close one.

Who's that coming out behind RD? Oh my gosh, it's Don! Yay, Don's here too! I understand he might be kinda tired from his weekend exertions, I'm sure Weed and bc will have appropriate food for him.

Posted by: slyness | June 22, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey! HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

*waving ineffectively at RD's helicopter as it returns to base as I drift further and further southward and out to sea...*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Put. The. Speedos. Back. On.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 22, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Am I really last?

I'm going to blame it on the line at the Greek diner where I picked up a whole baklava. The big bag of soft pretzels, no line, and I already had a big jar of yellow mustard in the pantry.

Posted by: -dbG- | June 22, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

TBG, you and your family are the best hosts ever!

Now, can I borrow the motor boat and some rope to tow 'mudge back?

Posted by: Yoki | June 22, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

You better hurry, Yoki. I think I'm down around the Ferris Wheel at about 4th Street.

And I hope there's porpoises out here, cuz I just saw a fin go by I didn't like the looks of.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm late to lunch but I brought tomatoes with basil & fresh mozzarella. Thanks for the party, TBG! I can use a little Monday relaxation.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 22, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if there's such a thing as a Great White Dolphin?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 22, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That's Flipper's cousin Casper, 'Mudge...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Mudge, there is, but TBGs countermanding you and making me put the Speedo back on.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 22, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm late to the party, as usual. That's OK, I'll have plenty of appetite left for the BBQeq lamburger that are planned for tonight.
I went for a walk at lunch time with a vague intention to rubberneck at a block of condos that burned down nearby last night. I came back with 4 pocketbooks. I should leave a note in my will to the kids blaming Mudge and Boko/Boomslang for the sad state of their inheritance. I got Cornwell's Azincourt, Burke's Swan Peak for myself and Reich's Devil Bones and Robinson's All the colours of Darkness for Mrs. D who was complaining last weekend that the summer reading pickings were very slim this year. I'll most likely read the Robinson as well.
Hey, there was a 4 for 3 sale on.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 22, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Speedos are muy uncomfortable, I'm more of a bermuda shorts-type bathing suit kinda guy.

Though if I'm rockin' the old cutoff jeans, I'll go right into the water without a second thought if the mood strikes me.

Which is why I end up buying new cell phones at the beach.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 22, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 22, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize Shriek had studied under 'ol Fagin...

*carefully checking my pockets*

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 22, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bob, in what capacity did you visit? Back when I was younger, (many moons ago) it was an R&R favorite destination during the days of VietNam.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 22, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse