Apollo 11's Bright Glare

[My review of "Rocket Men" today in BookWorld. FYI am back from vacation Tuesday.]

ROCKET MEN

The Epic Story Of the First Men On the Moon

By Craig Nelson

Viking. 404 pp. $27.95

To understand how completely Apollo 11 dominates the history of the space program, consider for a moment the previous mission, Apollo 10. The astronauts on that one were . . . um . . . hold on . . . Googling as we speak . . . John Young, Eugene Cernan and Thomas Stafford.

All they did was get in a capsule atop a 30-story rocket, blast off the planet and fly all the freakin' way to the moon. Two of them then got into a contraption called a lunar module and descended toward the moon's surface. Down, down they went. But they didn't land, because this was just a practice run for lunar orbit rendezvous. The glory of the first lunar landing would be reserved for the next mission. Indeed, to ensure that no eager-beaver astronaut would say to heck with it and try to land, NASA didn't give the ascent module enough fuel to leave the moon's surface. The astronauts would have been stranded if they'd ignored orders.

And so they dutifully flew home, their mission soon lost in the glare of Apollo 11.

Forty years on, the space program is still struggling to figure out how to top the fabled moonshot of July 1969. Apollo 11 may have been the greatest achievement in space flight, but arguably, it nearly killed the space program. Because what do you do after you shoot the moon?

You build a space shuttle. You build a space station. You launch telescopes. You dither around in low-Earth orbit for decades. But no matter what you do, you find that Apollo 11 is an impossible act to follow.

This summer, under orders from President Obama, NASA's human space flight program is getting a soup-to-nuts review by a 10-person panel headed by former aerospace executive Norman Augustine. The committee will spend a lot of time pondering rocket design (which do you prefer, the Ares 1 or an EELV?). But while racing toward an end-of-summer deadline, the committee will grapple with a more basic question: What are we doing in space?

Click here to keep reading.

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 19, 2009; 3:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fortress Mentality
Next: Views of Rome

Comments

What are we doing in space?
Well it is really the Final Frontier and we as a curious species must explore all frontiers.

One of the drawbacks of not living in the country is missing the brilliant star field everynight.

40 years? Dang,I really do feel old.Well,maybe not that old.I did fall off a swing a few days ago.

Have a Great Sunday everyone!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 19, 2009 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Once again, all eyes focus on an event of 40 years ago that I remember well. We were renting Rebel's Roost in Kill Devil Hills. It was all by itself on a small spit of sand and has long since slid out to sea. The cottage sat high on it's pilings, catching the land and the sea breezes.... no need for air conditioning in that wonderful old grey shingled, green shuttered, porched place.

My husband & I and our two small sons had invited my parents for the weekend, an easy trip from Norfolk back then. The TV was black & white and the screen was very small and there was only the rabbit ears and an old antenna on the roof, but we could see the sparkley dots of the men as they made their historic moments, fantastic and unimaginable to us on that night on the outer banks.

My Dad's gone, my mother is old, our sons are grown, the cottage is gone, and we are seniors, but I pray we will never forget that part of our Country's history.

Posted by: VintageLady | July 19, 2009 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Let's flip the question.

Let's ask not "What we're doing in space?" but "What're we doing here on Earth?"

Why aren't we better stewards of what is before us, our environment?

Donald Prothero, professor of geology at Occidental College (one of Obama's alma maters, located in Eagle Rock, California), explains the situation at the close of his 2006 book, "After the Dinosaurs: The Age of Mammals" in the section titled, "The Sixth Extinction."

Paleontologists recognize five major episodes of mass extinction: The Ordovician extinction 450 million years ago. The extinction at the end of the Permian, 250 million years ago, when 95 percent of all life on Earth vanished. Next in intensity to the Permian is the Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction, when dinosaurs disappeared. These are followed by the two lesser extinctions of the Eocene-Oligocene.

According to Prothero, during the last few centuries, the Earth is experiencing a mass extinction that may be larger than any that has ever occurred on this planet. The evidence is first keenly observable on islands, where native species of most of the islands of the world are mostly extinct now, and the proof is also now amply evident that human populations have also triggered extinctions on large continents. He concludes "Humans (or their domesticated animal proxies) are the the direct or indirect cause of nearly all this global ecological catastrophe, and the root of the problem comes down to a simple dymamic: Human population growth."

Prothero stresses that humans are not independent of this planet and are not entitled to do anything they want to it. Prothero's concluding paragraph tries to balance the grim scenario before us with humor devised by Prosh and McCracken in a 1985 article in Geology magazine. What should the post-Holocene (ours is the Holocene) epoch be called? They creatively came up with "Nothingcene," "Changeofcene," and "Weshouldhavecene."

Posted by: laloomis | July 19, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey Lady!

Great story. I think that will have to be my vacation for the year, but it was a good one. As all vacations, it was too short.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I think we as humans prefer more drama than a meticulous well-planned space program can provide. The defining space memory of the last two generations hasn't been a lunar landing, but a shuttle explosion. And the second is far less remembered because it, like Aldrin, was second, but it was far less telegenic as well.

Even in the movies, Apollo 13 far outsold The Right Stuff. Disaster sells. Armageddon saw the right use of space shuttles as a way to save us from asteroids.

As for the taciturn ways of astronauts, many of them were test pilots, the sub-breed of fighter pilots that are even crazier. Compartmentalization is one of their coping mechanisms.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 19, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

That was an excellent review and I am looking forward to reading "Rocket Men." Apollo 11 was the first real memory I have of events outside my own little world. It was a magical time, especially as a kid.

But I agree with Joel's observation that Apollo 11 was a classic case of peaking too soon. It was the cool car you owned at 21 that no other car will ever match.

I also agree that we need something great and grand to capture our imagination. I just don't know if the current plans in space fulfill that goal.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 19, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Cool morning here but I don't feel the cold with 2 large dogs bracketing me. I think both have cheese on their minds.

Tom Wolfe is right on Kit this morning!

The Tour de France goes Switzerland today. As I write they are going through Gruyères. I have cheese on my mind too.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

That Wolfe article really sums it up. As a former Floridian, I can attest that the boom-bust employment cycle in the aerospace industry is still going on. Perhaps that is why our most brilliant mathematicians have gone on to finding ways of bilking mortgage owners and credit card holders instead of solving engineering problems either celestial or terrestrial.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 19, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow... considering his work on TV's "Coach," Craig Nelson really does have many talents.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 19, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

An anagram of "rocket boys" is "October Sky."

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. We got a little rain but the storm missed us last night - the show had a ten-minute rain delay in the second act. The in-laws and Rat Dog are on the road. After weeks of plus-100 temperatures the prospect of eighties and nineties is so fine, I'm looking forward to possible outdoor activity this afternoon.

The space program has the potential to fulfill two mass emotional cravings: the sense of high purpose fulfilled, and the anticipation of observing disaster. One would think an expanded space program could provide these to excess.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 19, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Yello!

Funny post. I was thinking that it takes a Nobel level thinker to come up with the additional "significant digit" to an interest rate.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 19, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Morning boodle! The frostfam weekend continues with distant relies camped on the lawn. Off for some fishing and to scavenge some pie for breakfast.

Now I have to add Rocket Men to the ever longer reading list. It better be as good as the review.

Rocket Boys was the original title of the book that became October Sky.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 19, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, it's home again, and home again, America for me!
I want a ship that's westward bound to plough the rolling sea,
To the bléssed Land of Room Enough beyond the ocean bars,
Where the air is full of sunlight and the flag is full of stars." -Henry Van D.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Swinging for the moon,
we were invincible then;
when did we fall off?
Time to brush off the moon dust
and start all over again.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 19, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand
In other words, darling... kiss me

Posted by: -TBG- | July 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The half moon shows a face of plaintive sweetness
Ready and poised to wax or wane;
A fire of pale desire in incompleteness,
Tending to pleasure or to pain:-
Lo, while we gaze she rolleth on in fleetness
To perfect loss or perfect gain.
Half bitterness we know, we know half sweetness;
This world is all on wax, on wane:
When shall completeness round time's incompleteness,
Fulfilling joy, fulfilling pain?-
Lo, while we ask, life rolleth on in fleetness
To finished loss or finished gain.

By Christina Rossetti

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I see the bad moon arising
I see trouble on the way
I see earthquakes and lightnin'
I see bad times today

Dont go around tonight,
Well, its bound to take your life,
Theres a bathroom on the right.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 19, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The moon has a face like the clock in the hall;
She shines on thieves on the garden wall,
On streets and field and harbour quays,
And birdies asleep in the forks of the trees.

The squalling cat and the squeaking mouse,
The howling dog by the door of the house,
The bat that lies in bed at noon,
All love to be out by the light of the moon.

But all of the things that belong to the day
Cuddle to sleep to be out of her way;
And flowers and children close their eyes
Till up in the morning the sun shall arise.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 19, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Watching the Tour on the computer.... have data running in a window.

This will be a good stage and set the table for Tuesday.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 19, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Moon, Mr. Moon, you're out too soon.
The sun is still in the sky.
Go back to bed and cover up your head,
And wait 'til the day goes by.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

8.7 K of Category 5 climb.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 19, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Mister Moonlight come again please
Here I am on my knees begging if you please
And the night you don't come my way
I pray and pray more each day
'Cause we love you Mister Moonlight

Earlier this morning I got to investigating Homer Hickam and The Rocket Boys / October Sky (which showed on TV recently and should again.) Anyone who hasn't read the book ought to. What I had not known is that Hickam went on to write several more Coalwood books and others. Some of the reviewers I respect (Libary Journal, NY Times, Publishers Weekly) have given them thumbs up also. Such as Back to the Moon, a thriller about hijacking the shuttle.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Anyone remember Fireball XL5?

I wish I was a space man.
The fastest guy alive.
I'd fly you round the universe,
In Fireball XL-5.
Way out in space together,
Compass of the sky,
My heart would be a fireball,
A fireball,
Everytime I gazed into your starry eyes.

We'd take the path to Jupiter,
And maybe very soon.
We'd cruise along the Milky Way,
And land upon the moon.
To our wonderland of stardust,
We'll zoom our way to Mars,
My heart would be a fireball,
A fireball,
If you would be my Venus of the stars.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 19, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Excellent review, Joel.

**********
Today in Greatest-Sea-Battle-in-History

July 19, 1808: First day of the two-day sea battle between HMS Lydia (Capt. Horatio Hornblower) and Natividad (Captain-General El Supremo) off the coast of Guatemala. Many experts consider this to be the greatest ship-to-ship combat in history (see C.S. Forester’s authoritative account in his book Beat to Quarters, published in 1936).
*************

A scientific observation: adding slices of tomato to a hamburger exponentially increases the slip-slide ratio, to the point that the hamburger reaches an unstable condition, such that merely picking up the hamburger sends the burger itself and the bottom half of the bun thisoway, while the tomato slices and the top of the bun are very apt to go thataway.

Carry on.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. Perhaps a tomato-slice-shaped indentation should be baked into the bottom of the bun. Or the patty.

... ...
| |......| |
|..........|

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Indeed Mudge. This is why it pays to use high viscosity condiments. Personally, I like hearty mustard with lots of chunks.

Speaking of songs with a lunar theme, I've always been partial to "Moon River." Not the Andy Williams version, which provides to many angst-filled flashbacks to his variety show, but the original Audrey Hepburn version in "Breakfast at Tiffanys."

My fondness for this rendition is in no way diminished by my discovery that there are, in fact, no rivers on the moon.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 19, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Look who is on the front page today: Kim Stanley Robinson

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

In the great green room
there was a telephone
And a red balloon
And a picture of--

The cow jumping over the moon

and there were three little bears, sitting on chairs

and two little kittens and a pair of mittens

and a little toy house and a young mouse

and a comb and a brush and bowl full of mush

and a quiet old lady who was whispering "hush"

Goodnight room

goodnight moon

goodnight cow jumping over the moon

goodnight light and the red balloon

goodnight bears goodnight chairs

goodnight kittens goodnight mittens

goodnight clocks and goodnight socks

goodnight little house and goodnight mouse

goodnight comb and goodnight brush

goodnight nobody goodnight mush

and goodnight to the old lady whispering "hush"

goodnight stars, goodnight air

goodnight noises everywhere.

[Words by my favorite beat poet, Margaret Wise Brown]

Posted by: -TBG- | July 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Rabbit. The Japanese are very fond of the lunar rabbit.

As for ruination of the planet, rural Japan is still beautiful, in the sort of way that the Potomac towards Shepherdstown is.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 19, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

howdy, howdy -- a wee bit ago Tom Watson was in a three-way tie for first in the British Open. Don't know what has happened since I began back-boodling. And they're playing in 20-25 mph wind gusts. Whew!

Went grocery shopping this morning for staple items -- been putting it off and off and off. Since last night's dinner party, I knew I needed more napkins and dishwasher detergent and kleenex and other stuff. Paid more than I wanted to, even with coupons, but as much as I expected. Unfortunately, the entire two days of this weekend has made mincemeat of my back. I'm afraid that the "sometime this fall" prospect of surgery will be "sometime today" -- So, after I arrange for an MRI I can go with films to a neurosurgeon and then arrange everything else. *sigh*. But I've decided, and with good reason, that this is an issue of quality of life, and the sooner it's taken care of, the better.

*muttering to self nevertheless*

It is lovely outside. Go out and enjoy!

Posted by: -ftb- | July 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Only the first part, mind you...

The Moon Is Always Female
Marge Piercy

The moon is always female and so
am I although often in this vale
of razorblades I have wished I could
put on and take off my sex like a dress
and why not? Do men always wear their sex
always? The priest, the doctor, the teacher
all tell us they come to their professions
neuter as clams and the truth is
when I work I am pure as an angel
tiger and clear is my eye and hot
my brain and silent all the whining
grunting piglets of the appetites.
For we were priests to the goddesses
to whom were fashioned the first altars
of clumsy stone on stone and leaping animal
in the wombdark caves, long before men
put on skirts and masks to scare babies.
For we were healers with herbs and poultices
with our milk and careful fingers
long before they began learning to cut up
the living by making jokes at corpses.
For we were making sounds from our throats
and lips to warn and encourage the helpless
young long before schools were built
to teach boys to obey and be bored and kill.

Posted by: laloomis | July 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Too many other interesting tidbits to ignore:

1545: Forty-three years BEFORE the Spanish Armada, King Francis I of France launches an armada even larger than the more well-known Spanish Armada, comprising 225 ships and 30,000 troops including some from Spain, intent upon invading England. Opposing them, as with the Spanish Armada later, were only a small fleet of 80 ships and 12,000 men, under the command of Vice Admiral Goerge Carew in his flagship the 91-gun carrack Mary Rose. On this day in 1545, the French fleet entered the Solent near the Isle of Wight, and Carew's fleet came out from Plymouth to stop them. During the battle, the mary Rose fired off a starboard broadside, and then turned sharply to fire the portside guns. But the turn was so sharp she heeled over so far her starboard guns port went underwater. This, possibly combined with the fact that many men on deck were wearing armor, caused the Mary Rose to capsize and sink, with only 35 survivors, all in full view of King Henry VIII, who was watching the battle from Southsea Castle. The wreck was lost and found several times over the years and rediscovered in 1971. In 1982 a major section of the ship was raised (along with remains of about half the crew), and taken to Portsmouth, where she is on display today. Analysis of the skeletons of the crew showed that many had "os acromiale," a deformity of the shoulder blade area that comes from a lifetime of archery training.
1553: Lady Jane Grey is replaced by Mary I of England as Queen of England after having that title for just nine days, the shortest reign of any British monarch. Out of respect and with concern for her privacy, Mary had Lady Jane beheaded in private, inside the Tower of London grounds on Tower Green, rather than doing it in public outside the castle grounds across the street on Tower Hill, where most beheadings and hangings took place.
1692: Sarah Good, Elizabeth Howe, Susannah Martin, Sarah Wildes and Rebecca Nurse are hanged for witchcraft by the good, God-fearing and righteous people of Salem, Massachusetts. Over the previous months, more than 150 people had been arrested, and several dozen tried and convicted. Relatives continued to fight for the exoneration of the men and women accused and executed, and this was finally achieved -- on October 31, 2001, when Gov. Jane Swift issued a resolution proclaiming them all innocent.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

1799: A group of Napoleon Bonaparte's soldiers discover what is now known as The Rosetta Stone, enabling the translation of hieroglyphics for the first time.
1843: Brunel's steamship the SS Great Britain is launched, becoming the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull or screw propeller and also becoming the largest vessel afloat in the world.
1848 : Women's rights: The two day Women's Rights Convention opens in Seneca Falls, New York and the "Bloomers" are introduced at the feminist convention.
1879: When an ex-Army scout named Mike Gordon starts abusing a bar girl, he gets into a fight with former dentist and now professional gambler Doc Holliday, in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Harsh words ensue, and Holliday follows Gordon outside. Gordon takes a shot at Holliday, who then draws his gun and kills Gordon-- the first time Holliday shot anyone. Yes, he was Godon's Huckleberry ("I'll be your Huckleberry" was one of Holliday's favorite phrases. "Huckleberry" was apparently slang for "gunman.")
1912: A meteorite with an estimated mass of 190 kg explodes over the town of Holbrook in Navajo County, Arizona, causing approximately 16,000 pieces of debris to rain down on the town.
1963 – Joe Walker flies a North American X-15 to a record altitude of 347,800 feet on X-15 Flight 90. Exceeding an altitude of 100 km, this flight qualifies as a human spaceflight under international convention. It was the first flight over 100 km, and took place over Edwards AFB.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

And since you're all in the mood:

BLUE MOON
The Marcels

Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me"
And when I looked, the moon had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

- words by Lorenz Hart, music by Richard Rodgers

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Boodle friend Jennifer Ouellette is having fun with a science vs Sci Fi article.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hi!

Here's a favorite song about the Moon. The link is to a video of a Tuna performing the song.

LUNA DE ESPAÑA

La luna es una mujer
y por eso el sol de España
anda que bebe los vientos
por si la luna le engaña,
ay, le engaña porque,
porque cada anochecer,
después de que el sol se apaga
sale la luna a la calle
con andares de gitana.

Cuando la luna sale, sale de noche
un amante le aguarda en cada reja.
Luna, luna de España cascabelera,
luna de ojos azules, cara morena.

Y se oye a cada paso la voz de un hombre
que a la luna que sale le da su queja.
Luna, luna de España, cascabelera,
luna de ojos azules, cara morena.

Luna de España, mujer.

Yes, this is ripe for some fish jokes...

Posted by: abeac1 | July 19, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

LOL the "HAL-like" computer is, I think, the voice of Kevin Spacey

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 19, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Jumper. That looks like a fun one. I've saved it on Netflix.

Posted by: abeac1 | July 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody. Busy day so far. We had a farmers market after church, so everybody could swap excess veggies. I took tomatoes and peppers, brought home an eggplant and a butternut squash. Yum. Cost was a donation to the local gleaning society.

I'm enjoying all the moon pomes.

TBG, I bought a copy of Goodnight Moon this week, for a baby shower gift. It's the first literary masterpiece every baby should have.

My parents had a good friend who was labor relations director for NASA at the Kennedy Space Center during the 60's. Mom and Dad watched the launch of Apollo 13 from the VIP stand because he got them seats. My brother got patches from each of the missions, which he treasures. It was so cool to have that connection.

Posted by: slyness | July 19, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Yoki, a week ago you asked about various methods of cooking corn-on-the-cob. Which method did you wind up using, and how did you like the results?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: Jennifer Ouellette's article linked above: Can one of you pointy heads tell me why helium-3 isotope could be an energy source? Isn't helium inert? How/what does it do whatever it does to make energy?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Silver

Slowly, silently, now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon;
This way, and that, she peers, and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees;
One by one the casements catch
Her beams beneath the silvery thatch;
Couched in his kennel, like a log,
With paws of silver sleeps the dog;
From their shadowy cote the white breasts peep
Of doves in a silver-feathered sleep;
A harvest mouse goes scampering by,
With silver claws and a silver eye;
And moveless fish in the water gleam,
By silver reeds in a silver stream.

Walter de la Mare

My favorite poem about the moon, I have sketchy memories of watching the moon landing and realizing it was a big event but too young to fully appreciate.

A little sad that Tom Watson fell just short of capturing his 6th Open Championship - but Wow what a tournament for him - losing in a playoff. A salute.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 19, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Helium-3 is a fuel for nuclear fusion, whose stable endpoint is Helium-4. Relatively little energy is availble from the conversion of Helium-3 to Helium-4, compared to the total energy available from fusing 4 hydrogens to make Helium-4, but the reaction is more feasible in the environments that we could produce on Earth.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo home page piece on "Fashion Police" and whether a teacher can/should wear a turban uses a cut from "The English Patient," showing Naveen Andrews and Juliet Binoche (you can't tell, but they are riding a motorscooter). Curious, no?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 19, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

New Kit. More purty pictures.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Helium-3 has an extra neutron. As a result it is easier to create a energy-producing fusion reaction with Helium-3 than it is with regular helium.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

After 40 years, one thing is clear: the future is not what it used to be.

See: