Guest Kit: From Vikings to Bugs Bunny

By W.C. Swanson (aka Curmudgeon)

Good morning, Boodle. Today is July 10. And since Joel found an Irish pub in Rome, that gives me a perfect lead-in to...

Today in Viko-Irish and Bugs Bunny History

July 10, 988: Dublin is "founded" by the Irish, who kicked out the Vikings who were there 150 years or more before them. The name means "black pool" and was a reference to the dark brackish water where the River Liffey met the River Poodle. (And no, the River Poodle has nothing to do with the dog poodle. The dog word comes from the German, "Pudelhund," with "hund" meaning dog and "pudel" meaning to splash. So yes, it's a water dog, just not a Gaelic one. How two different cultures came up with the word "poodle" independently is beyond the scope of this discourse.)

1913: The thermometer eeks up to 134°F (~56.7 °C for those of you who speak Metric) in Death Valley, Calif., the highest temperature ever recorded in North America.

1925: In Dayton, Tenn., substitute schoolteacher and football coach John T. Scopes stands trial for teaching evolution in the school system. Congressman and former Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan headed the prosecution, and equally famous defense attorney Clarence Darrow represented Scopes. (Extraordinarily little known fact: Before Bryan became the prosecutor, the local prosecutor was a man named Sue Hicks. Yes, a boy named Sue, who is believed to be the inspiration for the song. Could a case get any weirder than this? Yes, it could. The Baltimore Sun helped to pay for the defense expenses all the while its reporter, H.L. Mencken, was covering the story. Conflict of interest, anyone?) The trial lasted eight days; the jury deliberated for nine minutes before returning a guilty verdict. Scopes was sentenced to a $100 fine, and the case moved into history.

1938: Howard Hughes flies around the world in 91 hours in a twin-engine Lockheed Super Electra with a four-man crew, setting a record. When he was awarded a Congressional Gold Medal the next year, he never bothered to pick it up, and President Harry Truman mailed it to him after WWII.

1940: The German Luftwaffe launches its first major air attacks on England, beginning what became known as the Battle of Britain.

1958: The highest tsunami wave ever recorded, 524 meters, occurs at Lituya Bay, Alaska.

1962: NASA launches the world's first communications satellite, AT&T's Telstar, which transmits its first television pictures the next day. Within weeks, British music producer Joe Meek releases a "rock instrumental" called Telstar, which becomes the first British hit to top American charts -- a year in advance of the Beatles and the "British Invasion."

1985: The Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior is sunk by an explosion in Auckland, New Zealand, with one death aboard. Investigation reveals the ship was mined by French secret service frogmen on orders of the French Ministry of Defense, precipitating a national crisis the French call "Underwatergate." Rainbow Warrior was about to sail to a French island to protest a nuclear bomb test.

Happy Birthday:
1839: Adolphus Busch (d. 1913), a hero to millions
1897: Jack "Legs" Diamond (d. 1931), bootlegger
1905: Thomas Gomez (d. 1971), who played bad guy Curly Hoff in Key Largo, among other juicy roles.
1917: Boodle hero Mister Wizard, Don Herbert (d. 2007)
1923: John Bradley (d. 1994), a Navy corpsman and one of the six flag-raisers on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima, and one of only three of the six who survived the war.

RIP:
1920: British Admiral Jackie Fisher (b. 1841), hard-driving and charismatic First Sea Lord of the Admiralty and mentor of First Lord Winston Churchill at the start of WWI. It was Fisher who dragged the British Navy, kicking and screaming, from the age of coal-fired ships to oil-burning ships, and not a moment too soon, as WWI broke out.
1989: Mel Blanc (b. 1908). Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester the Cat, Tweety Bird, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, Barney Rubble... need I go on? To this day, Porky Pig singing "Bu...Bu..Bu...Blue Christmas" like Elvis did destroys me. And yes, it says, "That's All, Folks" on his tombstone.

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 10, 2009; 9:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michelangelo: Renaissance Man?
Next: Roman Holiday

Comments

I am reminded that Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstacy is a decent introduction to Michelangelo and may possibly grab the attention of young readers, too.

I got the idea Mudge had said there was no Mountbatten article on Wikipedia. Was I confused?

where the story of Mountbatten Pink jumped out at me:

Ah, the bar reminds me of the Two Link Limit. Good morning.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Two Link Limit." Let me tell you I did NOT read that correctly the first couple of times.

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | July 10, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Must have been confused, Jumper. I never said that.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

To the best of my recollection about the Death Valley heat wave, no one did anything stupid in relation to it. Not so with our record-setting, high-temperature, drought-miserable summer:

Two Blanco men [one a volunterr firefighter] face felony criminal mischief charges for allegedly opening fire hydrants there and in Johnson City in the wee hours of July 4, wasting more than 500,000 gallons of water and jeopardizing fire safety. ...

Bragg said the pair offered no explanation for their actions, which he said wasted an estimated 150,000 gallons of water in Johnson City and 420,000 gallons in the city of Blanco.

LL: Can stupidity be topped in Texas? Why, yes, it can. The Houston Chronicle has run several articles about Galveston's palm tree arsonist. Every ngiht, one or two palm trees is set on fire. It's important to call out that the palm trees were the only trees to survive the heavy salt water immersion of their roots after Hurrican Ike last fall. Some of the standing dead oaks in Galveston will be removed to build, or possibly rebuild, a ship in Mystic Seaport, Conn.

I'm off to a celebratory survivors' lunch at noon today. I'm not the survivor, but I've been invited to the soiree. More about this on Monday. Try to circle back to dinos this p.m.

Posted by: laloomis | July 10, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

SCC: during Hurricane Ike

Posted by: laloomis | July 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Great photos Joel. and Yellowjkt too. Some day, I'm going to see the real thing.

It's Friday and I am catching up on some cleaning.

These are why I don't put everything away right away. Memories accumulate in corners.

Posted by: --dr-- | July 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Another fun fact about the Scopes trial... the Dayton town fathers put Scopes up to it. They were looking for a way to pump up the town's lagging economy. It worked.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Update in our paper about swine flu in Texas--three dead in Bexar County last month, 21 in the state since the flu appeared in the Lone Star State:

Posted by: laloomis | July 10, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Today is also the birthdate of Tesla, one of my intellectual heroes.

I, and several selected coworkers, will be discharging our high-voltage hand-cranked Wimshurst machines in celebration.

Gotta love them big sparks.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 10, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yes, good point, TBG. I've always been fascinated with the Scopes Trial ever since I first saw "Inherit the Wind."

Yes, the ACLU was hot to fight the Tennessee law from the moment it was passed, and went looking for someone to test it. And then yep, the Dayton folks thought this would get them a lot of publicity and tourist income, so they backed it, too. Scopes was the school football coach, but in the movie and the play, etc., you get the idea he was the usual, normal, everyday biology teacher, who taught the evolution lesson because he figured that was what he was supposed to be teaching, as a biology teacher should. But of course, it was a put-up job from the git-go. The school principal was the usual biology teacher, and he was "out" that day, so Scopes "just happened" to sub for him-- and drop the E bomb on the class. Scopes in fact pleaded with some of his students to testify against him.

So much for the notion of the idealistic schoolteacher just teaching a normal biology class.

The other great myths about the trial concern the importance and the circumstances of the "great debate" between Bryan and Darrow. The "best" speech of the trial was not Darrow's but his assistant's. That was Dudley Field Malone, who was (of all odd things) a divorce lawyer. According to Wiki:

"Malone responded for the defense in a speech that was universally considered the oratorical triumph of the trial. Arousing fears of "inquisitions," Malone argued that the Bible should be preserved in the realm of theology and morality and not put into a course of science. In his conclusion, Malone declared that Bryan's "duel to the death" against evolution should not be made one-sided by a court ruling that took away the chief witnesses for the defense. Malone promised that there would be no duel because "There is never a duel with the truth." The courtroom went wild when Malone finished, and Scopes declared Malone's speech to be the dramatic highpoint of the entire trial and insisted that part of the reason Bryan wanted to go on the stand was to regain some of his tarnished glory."

Basically, Darrow and Malone mouse-trapped Bryan going onto the stand, which was never Bryan's intention. But given Bryan's ego, Darrow knew Bryan couldn't resist the bait. Bryan never claimed to be such a great biblical scholar in the first place, which I've always suspect Darrow counted on. But Bryan once opened his yap once too often and said he'd be willing to defend his beliefs anywhere, and so Darrow mousetrapped him into doing exactly that.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

btw,
Somewhere along the way, the Two Link Limit got upgraded to three. Evidence in the previous boodle.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all of the kits over the past few days, 'Mudge. Well done. Our son still has some pain, but nothing like yeserday. I expect that he'll be back to nearly normal in the next day or two. I always get the yips when I have to sign the papers, for my children, that hold the hospital harmless. When it's for me, I don't really give it a second thought. It hits home in the former case. Anyway, all is well.

Jumper, there will be more lumber to salvage soon, as the same fellow that tore down the building is going to do the same to the remainder of the warehouse. The timbers are rough cut, and include nearly every dimension. The floors, however are concrete. The rough cut stuff could be milled into flooring, and there's a guy that does just that here in town.

Posted by: -jack- | July 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Morning -- is it just me, or is the fact that the Repubs' reaction to the Sanford and Ensign affairs is basically *crickets*? And now, mommy and daddy Ensign not only paid off the mistress to the tune of just shy of $100K, but they did it in $12K increments to avoid declaring a "gift" for tax purposes. If that ain't a trigger for "intent" I don't know what is.

And, still -- *crickets*. Of course, if the affair had been one with a man -- well, then!

Happy Friday to my fellow Boodlers.

Posted by: -ftb1- | July 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all,
Though I know it's historically inaccurate, "Inherit the Wind" is a great movie. March and Tracey are fantastic and it even features a not-singing-or-dancing Gene Kelly (and he's not bad, either). Not a good movie to watch if you want to learn what really happened in the trial, but a great show.

Posted by: Southwester | July 10, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

RDP, have you seen the Google home page this morning?

Posted by: Don_from_I270 | July 10, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

*Gasp* I'm alive, I'm alive, Igor!!!

This is sooo strange. Most days, I cannot post. So, what's with today? Hi, everybody.

Posted by: Don_from_I270 | July 10, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So they made a deal: Bryan would agree to testify and be cross-examined by Darrow, and then Darrow would take the witness stand and agree to be cross-examined by Bryan, tit for tat. The myth is that Darrow set this up spontaneously and din't "prep" for it. But in fact, it now appears that Darrow spent the evening before prepping extensively, and had received lists of questions to ask Bryan.

The next day, Bryan took the stand, and Darrow cross-examined him; this is the famous climactic scene in the play and the movie. Court adjourned at the end of the day, and the next morning Judge Ralston ruled that all of Bryan's testimony was irrelevant (which it was), and never allowed the other half of the agreement, Bryan cross-examining Darrow, to occur.

In the play and the movie, when court convenes in the morning, the audience lears that the Bryan character has died, and then comes the great exchange between Spencer Tracy (the Darrow character) and Gene Kelly (playing the Mencken character, E.K. Hornbeck).

But in fact, no such thing occurred. There were brief concluding summations of no great import, and the case went to the jury. Bryan did die in Dayton-- but five days later. He left the town, gave speeches in Chattanoga and elsewhere, returned to Dayton to attend a church service, ate lunch, took a nap, and died in his sleep.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Don! Good to see ya!

I suggest you all check out the Political chat (the Fix is doing it today). Apparently Sen. Coburn from Oklahoma is refusing to reveal his discussions with Ensign on the basis of "patient/doctor confidentiality" -- um, okayyyy. But, wait a minnit! Coburn is an OBGYN! Does this mean what I think it means????

All together now: *SNORT*

Posted by: -ftb- | July 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I am informed by Mrs. Curmudgeon that the song "Telstar" also had lyrics. She is right (and she will never let me forget this).

They were written by the self same Joe Meek, and they are:

"Sometimes at night
When heaven shines so bright
No matter how small I feel
Something inside me
Beckons and guides me
To serenity's embrace
A calm and peaceful place
Where I
Can raise my head up high
Where my prayers are more than words
I want much more than for
My dreams to be heard
By only who they are
When I tell a star

Somehow I
Can reach into the sky
Out beyond what I believe
What life is for
Where my dreams are more
Than what it seems they are
When I tell a star"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

my injury. I pulled two stingers off the back of my hand and little finger, which has swollen to the size of my thumb. I shalHad an encounter with yellowjackets a while ago. I was initiating a battle in the war against the wisteria which has been trying to conquer and kill my wonderful fig tree which is bearing soon-to-ripen bounty again this year. So after locating some stealthy tendrils of wisteria, and dispatching them there, I moved over towards the carport where I had been interrupted last month by the same nest, and had hosed down well with bugspray. Assuming I had already dispatched the Satanic baztards, I proceeded to murder some wisteria with my little handsaw. Then it happened: a simultaneous rousing attack by them on my hand. I am unsure if whacking my hand with the flat of the saw in instinctive self-defense has added toHad an encounter with yellowjackets a while ago. I was initiating a battle in the war against the wisteria which has been trying to conquer and kill my wonderful fig tree which is bearing soon-to-ripen bounty again this year. So after locating some stealthy tendrils of wisteria, and dispatching them there, I moved over towards the carport where I had been interrupted last month by the same nest, and had hosed down well with bugspray. Assuming I had already dispatched the Satanic baztards, I proceeded to murder some wisteria with my little handsaw. Then it happened: a simultaneous rousing attack by them on my hand. I am unsure if whacking my hand with the flat of the saw in instinctive self-defense has added to my injury. My little finger and its knuckle have swollen to the size of a thumb and are taut like a drumhead. I commence first aid now.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Poor Jumper. Gardening is a dangerous hobby. No later than last night I came too close to a spruce while mowing the lawn and impaled my left thigh on a dry branch. And so I did like Jumper; I first prepared myself a stiff drink and then tended to the injury.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Take benedryl ASAP. Consider seeing doctor/ER.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Is somebody there with you, Jumper? At first sign of difficulty breathing, swelling of tongue, etc., call 9-1-1.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, Jumper. I try to stay away from yellowjackets. I did have a bunch of hornet's nests to get rid off. I just kept using aerosol pesticides from a safe distance. Definitely get medical treatment.

ftb,
It's worse than *crickets*. There is a lot of right-wing pontificating about how personal scandals that don't affect their public duties should be kept off-limits. When confronted with the hypocrisy of that position vis-a-vis Clinton, the mumble and go on about how Bill lied under oath. So the answer is to deposition all these wayward souls and THEN impeach them.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 10, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I'd agree with the Benadryl suggestions, pronto.

Also - IIRC yellowjackets are wasps (sorry yello), and shouldn't leave stingers behind the way honeybees and bumblebees do.

Having said that, I'm not an entomologist, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so take that with a grain of salt.

Speaking of which, I've been stung and bitten by more critters than I care to count, and found that rubbing salt on *some* insect bites and stings can help take the post-ouch itch away... (e.g. bee stings about an hour later...)

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Jumper is the guy who inflicts waterboarding on himself at the first sign of the sniffles, IIRC. Now we see that his first reaction to having his hand stung by a swarm of angry yellowjackets is to take a whack at it with a pruning saw. This guy is one rough and tough cookie.

Memo to self: always show the utmost deferance to Mssr. Jumper. Also, don't p!ss off the yellowjkts.

Posted by: Don_from_I270 | July 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Going back to the MikeyAngelo Kit - BPH Monday Night, same Bat Time, Same Bat Station, indeed.

Batteries to 'power.'
Turbines to speed.

Let's move out!

Finally, I can't read 'Vikings' and 'Bugs Bunny' in the same sentence without thinking of "What's Opera, Doc?"

Which is not a bad thing at all, really.

bc

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Gasoline should work on that yellow jacket nest and for good measure you could toss in a match(fire in the hole) so to speak.Or you could invite the local bear over and have him scoop the whole thing away.

"Shoulda made a Left at Albuquerque..."

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the concern. Firstly, I scrambled the post because it somehow fuggled up when I tried to copy my words to an email I was writing as my possible "last words." Secondly, I did not indulge in that drink until just a moment ago, as I returned from my drugstore dash for benedryl, which, like Mudge stated in my absence, is the correct thing to take. I also added in two aspirin and a curcumin capsule, which I take anyway.

I was alarmed once when a friend gave me a vodka, pineapple-grapefruit drink and I drank it with relish. Shortly thereafter I noticed my wrists swelling. I am marginally allergic to melons, pineapple, mangoes, and bananas, all of which I eat anyway and in the past have only caused an annoying itching on my palate and eustation tubes, the worst because there is no way to scratch there. But this time the swelling was alarming, and progressed to my throat. I went to the fire department across the street to ask for assistance, and suddenly the firebell rang and they had to go. "Go to the hospital!" a fireman shouted at me. Then they were gone. Shortly thereafter (within minutes) the swelling began to subside.

In retrospect I read that grapefruit juice can act as a multiplier of various pharmaceutical effects, and surmised that it had boosted my marginal allergy into a new and alarming orbit.

But that episode, (and my father's experience wherein he was once stung by a wasp yet even though as an outdoorsman this had occurred occasionally throughout his life, on that day he went into anaphylactic shock and had to go to the emergency room,) led me to seed the blessed benedryl. Which I found nearly impossible to open, by the way. But I did.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The satanicbazterd, as jumper calls them, don't leave their stinger in because they love to sting repeatedly. Sometimes the stinger breaks and stays in though. That must p-ed them off big time when it happens.

Immediate application of calamine lotion, the pink stuff, on the sting helps reduce the inflammation. I'm luckly not react too badly to wasp stings as my garage and pool shed are magnets to the little terrors.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

scc "seek the benedryl."

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Don says,

don't piss off the winged satanic sons without mothers

Actually, the picture is astonishing and very cautionary. You could only do "worsers" if you pissed ON these bad boys.

And, my goodness, Jumper, this phrase

a curcumin capsule

Well, again my goodness....makes me think of what wee boys often endure.....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | July 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

And, now, Jumper is very happy that only his digits were stung.

I shall go back to my general busy-ness.

Sorry for you dear Jumper and well-met gardener...but you made me laugh twice in ten minutes....winced too. But, there you have it: sweet in the vinegar.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | July 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Jumper, I hope you have not yet treated your wounds with surface medicaments, because you are presenting a great opportunity for science! I have heard the following suggested as possible curatives for jellyfish stings -- maybe they'll work for this, too!:

(1) bathing in human urine
(2) meat tenderizer
(3) Calamine lotion (the '-dryl' part of Caladryl is already in your system from the Benedryl)
(4) salt (just heard this one today)

I don't have any faith in salt -- we are already way-salty. Enough salt to make a difference would be enough salt to injure you. So, I suggest you treat each identifiable sting with one of numbers 1-3, then keep track of your progress. Think of the progress of science, man!

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Jumper glad you are OK, if I recall drinking grapefruit juice an allergy medicines is NOT recommended (reduces the ability of the allergy meds to work?).

Baking Soda paste is another great help for bee stings.

We hang fake paper wasp nests up under the Wisteria, for $5.00 it lasts all summer and the wasps will not nest in the area. It is supposed to keep their nests 200 feet from the fake - can't guarantee that.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard of salt on stings - I use a paste of baking soda and water for bee stings. Glad it wasn't worse than it was, Jumper.

Now, out to the yard for me. I manage to get little stickers or thorns in my hands even while wearing gloves, and I really should wear protective goggles to keep from poking my eyes out.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 10, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought of #1 (har har) but decided not to eschew the more traditional antihistamine approach.

My forearm from elbow to two smallest fingers aches like hammers are striking.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, CqP, I think upon you from time to time. I do, yanno.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, if it has spread as far as your elbow, yer getting me really worried here.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

So we will all meet at Jumper's to pee in his bath tub!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 10, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

urine clears ringworm, too. Take care, Jumper. Let me know if you want to join me in salvage mode. If nothing else, we can porch it for a while.

Posted by: -jack- | July 10, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Fun reading: Twelve poutines in twelve days:

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Does dog pee work? The VLP is a great peeer. He could filled that tub in a hurry.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

SCC fill (and peer didn't sound right, so I added another e. Like there weren't enough es already)

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Geez, after GWE I surely realize the use for anonymous personas online.

Swelling is going down. Head is getting clouded. I would prefer no benedryl in it, but what are ya gonna do?

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, what are you salvaging, jack?

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the biochemistry behind it, but I would hypothesize that there could be a difference between dog pee and human pee. Dogs are obligate carnivores, whereas we humans are omnivores. Surely that makes a difference in the enzymes that emerge in our pee. Of course, it's possible that the relevant enzymes are more concentrated in a carnivore. I believe this would take an additional set of comparison tests to evaluate the relative efficacy of various urines.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 10, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, you are made of some stern stuff! Not only did you fend the little bastiges off with your handsaw and then drove to the drug store to obtain supplies for self-medicating, but you paused in the middle of all this to boodle about it!

Posted by: Raysmom | July 10, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

12 days of poutine, hope that writer has pre-booked her by-pass surgery.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

SCC: drive

Jumper, are you looking for some salvaged lumber to whack yourself with in order to make your hand/arm pain mild in comparison?

That last looks bad, even to me, but eval-writing will do that to you.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I recommend NOT drinking alcohol with the Benedryl, especially if you have chosen to super-size your Benedryl dose. They don't get along well.

Regarding grapefruit juice and other chemicals in the system -- I was told specifically that I must limit my intake of citrus while taking Lipitor. According to the Lipitor fine-print, the reason is that citrus causes the Lipitor to be released from the liver extra-fast. There may be some chemical similarity in the allergic reaction that Jumper experienced previously from grapefruit juice and other juices to which he is allergic.

And, man, I *hate* it when my eustachian tubes get itchy.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Not only that, dmd, picture what happens when they resume eating vegetables on day 13.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 10, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom thank goodness I had swallowed my coffee before I read your post.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Eh, whenever I get mosquito bites or bee stings I always rub some salt on it; it seems to help. I've splooshed seawater on jellyfish stings too, come to think of it, and it helps.

And if it's simply placebo, it matters not to me -- it works just fine no matter what the reason.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, that Afterbite stuff is ammonia. It works well on msquito bites, horsefly bites,and bee stings.

Posted by: --dr-- | July 10, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. Jack, I hope your son's arm heals quickly and it doesn't hurt too much.

Jumper, what an encounter! It sounds as if the swelling is going down. I enjoy all the Boodle wisdom - I knew about meat tenderizer and calamine lotion, but not about salt or the more exotic anti-itch options.

So, anybody have any suggestion for tick bites? I amply and frequently apply clobetasol proprionate (or something like that) to dry them up, but that doesn't affect the itching. Should I try salt right after pulling the little beasts off and washing? Something else? My current batch is too old for any home remedies but I'm sure I'll get another one or two or six the next time I do serious yard work.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 10, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I find that if I first lick it, then pour salt on it, then lick the salt, suck a slice of lime, then drink a shot of tequila, and repeat several times, the swelling doesn't go away, but I just don't give a damn after the third or fourth application.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Piss contains ammoniacal coumpounds dr(urea and others) so you may save a few bucks by shunning Afterbite and start carrying the natural substitute. You can get used to any smell, talk to the people of Toronto about it.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

FYI, two additional items from today's kit were edited for brevity. Here they are:

July 10, 1778: Eighteen French ships under Count Jean Baptiste d’Estaing arrive off the Delaware capes, only to discover Gen. Howe’s British troops have evacuated Philadelphia. On the same day, France's King Louis XVI declares war on Britain, greatly aiding the American cause.
1821: Having completed the title search and getting all the utilities turned on, Spain hands over the keys to Florida to the United States, which takes possession of its new territory. The price was $5 million and renunciation of Texas. [Insert snarky Texas joke here.]

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The thing is, shriek, when you're on the beach and get a sting from something, it's no big deal whipping out the Afterbite tube and applying the balm. The "homeopathic" version you suggest is somewhat fraught with complications in public places.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

On last weekend's Prairie Home Companion, one of the guests read a poem I thought the Boodle might like (we being such a poesy-loving sort):

Topography

After we flew across the country we
got into bed, laid our bodies
delicately together, like maps laid
face to face, East to West, my
San Francisco against your New York, your
Fire Island against my Sonoma, my
New Orleans deep in your Texas, your Idaho
bright on my Great Lakes, my Kansas
burning against your Kansas your Kansas
burning against my Kansas, your Eastern
Standard Time pressing into my
Pacific Time, my Mountain Time
beating against your Central Time, your
sun rising swiftly from the right my
sun rising swiftly from the left your
moon rising slowly from the left my
moon rising slowly from the right until
all four bodies of the sky
burn above us, sealing us together,
all our cities twin cities,
all our states united, one
nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

— Sharon Olds, The Gold Cell, Knopf (1987)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I had not heard of itching associated with tick bites -- perhaps that is an attack of the heebie-jeebies? Microbial infections, on the other hand, I *have* heard of. Keep an eye on those little devils and watch out for a ring forming around the location of the initial tick bite.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 10, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I am throwing a flag on Shrieks, cheap shot about the odours around Toronto during the municipal workers strike. Read today that citizens are mowing park grass to kids and people can continue to use the parks. Union leader called them scabs, in a strike where public opinion is strongly against the union he might have wanted to choose his words more carefully and then get back to work.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Canucki food fight!!!!!!!!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

a garlic aroma that could level Tacoma?

Posted by: -jack- | July 10, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I post a nice romantic pome and immediately people start tossing poutine at each other.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Mudge, I am ill suffering from a summer cold, the flu or possible Swine Flu, feel like I have been run over by a truck, stuffy, ear hurts and cranky.

The thought just struck me that along with the garbage strike, warm humid air moving in and the Honda Indy in Toronto this weekend the aromas near the Lakeshore must be interesting at best :-0

Flag put back in my pocket.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

No, no, dmd, you go right ahead. Nothing wrong with venting. vent away.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 10, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to have arrived too late to scream "benadryl" to Jumper. I had one of those big-swelling yellow jacket stings years ago. I had no idea you were supposed to use antihistamine, so I went about my business on the coast for about 2 hours as my entire arm swelled, drove back, taking a detour for a cafeteria in Raleigh, then got my stuff into the biology building, then wandered over to the infirmary to see what they could do.

Of course I was NOT given permission to get my Datsun out of a faculty parking spot, nor to go fetch a toothbrush. Two nights in the infirmary. The residents were intrigued. The allergist said the next one could be fatal (which apparently was apparently the belief at the time).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

OK I will vent, it seems summer has affected the thinking ability of our PM and his staff.

At a press conference in Italy he made this statement, weasely enough to make these comments at an international gathering outside the country - but this statement is awful and as it turns out incorrect.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Jumper! You should have told the firefighters you had a medical emergency so that they could tend to you instead of going to another call! (What fire station, btw?)

I hope you feel better quickly.

Tick bites are icky. Fortunately, Ivansmom, you aren't around here, where Rocky Mountain spotted fever from tick bites is prevalent.

Everything is well in the mountains. Now I'm waiting on Mr. T to arrive and take me to dinner.

Posted by: slyness | July 10, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Next item of crankiness, why is Michelle Obama dressed like a nun in mourning to visit the Pope. Women must cover their head when visiting him? Ugh, Ugh, Ugh

Really wish she had chosen to to cover her head.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Sarnia at all times and Toronto these days are easy targets for stinking humour. The flag was deserved.
In 4-5 years I could see gran'pa raccoons in TO telling the little ones tall tales about the good old days. "There was garbage bags everywhere, in every lanes and driveways and even the parks were constantly re-supplied with delicious fresh garbage".

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Tick bites itch, ScienceTim. Trust me. I've had lots. Now, they don't itch with the perseverance of a good mosquito or chigger bite; if treated with something, after a day or so the itch will dissipate. The wound will remain.

Warning - Too Much Information coming: Untreated, the bite area remains slightly swollen and red for some time. Even if treated it may blister up and pop, gently. Don't think you're done, though - if you keep it untreated it will just redden up again randomly for weeks. If you scratch a tick bite the surrounding skin will become red and look slightly bruised, and it won't stop itching. And this is when you pull the darned vermin off within even a few minutes of attachment.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 10, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

dmd, Mr. Harper has retracted and apologized to Mr. Ignatieff, but perhaps some cookies or a $96,000 gift from his mom and dad is in order.

Posted by: kguy1 | July 10, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a black veil, not a habit.

Maybe there was a funeral that day, dmd.

And no, there is no requirement to be veiled at all-- Barbara Bush and thousands of tourists at papal masses don't bother.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Still don't understand a veil Wilbrod - been quite a while since I saw a nun wearing a habit - I am more used to seeing them in lay clothes. Just do not like the image of a woman needing to be so covered up to be presentable to the Pope, church is backwards enough in it's views towards women.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

We've got graffitists of talent in Ottawa.
Lessos learned: never leave a blank spot on those signs.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 10, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

MSNBC just ran pics of Laura Bush and Jackie Kennedy dressed in black, with black mantillas, meeting the pope. Apparently it's the custom, and yes, shows how outdated the Catholic Church is (IMHO). But can you imagine if Michelle had worn her usual colorful dress and no veil? She would have been torn to shreds. Robin Givhan is along for this trip, she's had some interesting, not always flattering, columns.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 10, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm not getting all the hoopla over Harper's taking communion. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Catholic funeral of a guy in my Sunday School class. Both he and his wife took communion, and the priest was obviously okay with it, although he did say that it was for Catholics only. Not that I would have gone up, but jeez. Furthermore, I did NOT wear a veil AND I had on dress slacks (or what passes for church clothes for me these days).

Posted by: slyness | July 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

How about a blue dress. I don't where black to funerals, just not in our family/catholic tradition I do not understand the overkill.

If she were president would she be expected to dress like that?

I do not know of any catholic tradition where a veil is required, I did not wear one when I wed, 1st communion nor did my children.

No bare shoulders was required for my daughters graduation, most of the girls had strapless dress and wore shawls/wraps through the ceremony.

I chose a sleeveless top - I did have a jacket with me but it was a warm evening.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

SCC wear and any others.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Pics of various presidents' spouses wearing black and veils. Not that big a deal to me, at least their faces are visible. I take it as a sign of respect. I remember girls/women wearing veils to Mass, but that was back in the 60s, when people still ate fish on Fridays, Mass was in Latin, etc...(and I'm speaking as someone who was raised as a Protestant, not from personal experience).

There's a link at the bottom of the article to a site showing Margaret Thatcher in a veil, with the Pope.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Also, apparently some of the right wing persuasion are scandalized that Malia was spotted wearing a Tshirt with a big peace sign on it, as if she was doing the negotiations with the Russians about nuclear weapons. And something about a purse of Michelle's that cost $6000. Seems a bit much to me, but I really don't care if she's paying for it, which I'm sure she is.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 10, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

seasea, I am still bitter that girl alter servers were not allowed during the services when the Pope visited Toronto. At many of the catholic churches around here most of the servers for masses are girls.

The veil is to me a symbol of the need for women to be covered, whether over the face or not the symbolism is upsetting to me. To me having women dress in a manner out of date with the norm is not right.

I thought Michelle choice of outfit to meet the Queen was rather less formal than many would have chosen, I liked that.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Rennaisance idol?

I vote for the Condotiery who did some creative looting and pillaging.

Let's not forget that the conquistadores who rolled back great American civilizations were also Rennaisance men.

To get back on Mudge's kit: Dublin-poodle.

Posted by: Braguine | July 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The PM communion thing is the biggest non-story I think I’ve ever seen. I think The Star has mixed up transubstantiation with unsubstantiation.

Posted by: engelmann | July 10, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

dmd, I'm with you...just think that Michelle was wise to go with tradition on this one.

Picked sugar peas to freeze...plants are about done, I think. There are some pods I've missed that I think I will dry to use for seeds next spring. Lettuce is not so great - some is about to bolt, so it's as bitter as dmd (haha, just kidding!). Beans are up - something is eating holes in the leaves, but the plants are ok. Squash has blossoms but no fruit set yet.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 10, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Women are supposed to be covered up in church in the Jewish and Muslim faiths, too.

What's she supposed to do, dress like a stripper to go say hi to the Pope?

I just went to a funeral yesterday, and yes, I do wear black to funerals. Matches the dog anyhow.

I don't have to, but I prefer to err on the side of respect.

That some people here think that the Pope deserves no respect whatsoever does not mean the Obamas agree.

He is a head of a (very tiny) state, and the leader of one of the major faiths in the world.

Black is very chic in the Vatican, I hear tell, so Michelle most certainly did not feel out of place.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

The norm is blue jeans, t-shirts, sneakers. Does that mean dresses, makeup, and heels aren't right for some occasions?

And god forbid, veils for funerals and weddings and popes and the like?

Most people get married far more often than they get to meet a pope.

All right, I'm off. I'm in a really snarky mood right now.

Michelle Obama is a grown woman, nobody's stuffing her into anything. I thought she made her outfit look good myself.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Bravo, Wilbrod. I agree with you. When in Rome certainly applies in this case

Brag, I would term the conquistadores "ANTI-Rennaisance men."

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Not difficult to see why I am not in politics :-).

The Pope certainly feel free to express his ideas of what is 'correct' though.

Engelmann - I agree completely. Normally at the masses I attend weddings/funerals or events where there may be many non-Catholics the priest will make a point of stating that communion is only for Catholics who have had 1st Communion, others may go up and cross their arms for a blessing. Don't agree with this policy per se but the announcement is done, my uncle will often add that others may simply choose to remain seated if they wish during communion, it is spoken respectfully.

seasea you are correct I am bitter, I have heard too many catholic church people talk about how they believe in equality for women, that is equality within the 'place' they determine is appropriate. It is one of the biggest reason I and many of my friends are estranged from the church.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Most churches in Italy have a no-shorts, no-bare shoulders policy. In Assisi I saw a security guard signal to a young lady in a tank top to put her jacket back on. I think a little more decorum in places of worship rather than less would be better.

And for right wing huffers, let's not forget Dick Cheney wearing a flak jacket and elmer fudd hat to a state funeral.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 10, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

If you find a religion that practices and preaches absolute equality for men and women, let me know, dmd.

'Cause I want to go to a church where the pastor tells the guys they need to pitch in with the housework, childcare, etc.

And tells the women that they should woman up and stick by their word and do what they say, treat the opposite sex with courtesy, etc.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I simply choose to obstain all together Wilbrod.

I did not expect Michelle to show up in jeans and a t-shirt, I just thought the entire outfit, complete black with head gear too much.

I fail to see how a nice outfit, dress, suit etc would be disrespectful, to think that I would find jeans appropriate is insulting.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Dmd-- "To me having women dress in a manner out of date with the norm is not right."

Even nice clothes in church are now old-fashioned rather than the norm.

One of my teachers was saying that she used to tell her students to dress in their Sunday best for a mock interview, then she realized half of them went to church in jeans and half didn't go at all-- and that nobody knew what Sunday Best meant anymore.

I have quite a few friends and such in the preaching trade, I probably could call them and they'd say the same thing-- very few people in their congregation dress up much anymore.

I wasn't talking about your personal standards, I was talking about the norm for church dress those days. As you abstain, you really weren't to know.

I apologize for any accidental slur on your sense of fashion.

But male priests wear dresses and stoles and such, so why expect normal rules of dress to apply?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's a great video from the Onion News Network...

Posted by: -TBG- | July 10, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

It is an old pet peeve of mine Wilbrod, I do not like that western female politicians, journalists must cover their heads when in certain countries, I do not like the Catholic church imposing dress restrictions on non-catholics. Assuming of course these meetings are outside religious ceremonies - still wouldn't like it but additional repect for the service is understood.

I freely admit I have issues with some rules, at some point change will happen and some woman will break the head gear thing in front of the Pope, and probably take a lot of flak for it, but I think there will be a great many like me that will stand an cheer.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

we need some cqp fashion commentary.

i think michelle obama was pragmatic. it just wasn't worth appearing to disrespect tradition, catholics, or the pope.

Posted by: LALurker | July 10, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

dmd, i appreciate your feminist leanings. it would have been inadvisable for michelle obama to pick that particular battle though.

Posted by: LALurker | July 10, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Barbara Bush (not the grandddaughter) didn't wear a veil or black around the Pope.

Just her usual blue twinset with pearls-- her First Lady uniform.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I know LALurker, and in part that is what ticks me off the most. That is has to be that risky for her just to be her normal (and appropriately dress) self.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we've fully mined (plumbed?) the depths of the title of this fine guest Kit. "From Vikings to Bugs Bunny". The possible images contained herein are rich and surprisingly various.

Vikings, of course, include the barbarians (sorry, you of Scandinavian heritage, which might or might not include myself) who had early invaded the British Isles only to be eventually rousted. Eddas, feasting halls, that weird "eagle" mutilation of enemies, seafarers etc. I note parenthetically (absent the parentheses) that Vikings were my high school alma mater mascot - and a less suitable one could scarce be found. Vikings might also bring to mind what I believe to be a football team of the same name - Minnesota, perhaps? - although my knowledge of football is extremely shallow. In addition, isn't there some sort of kitchen appliance with the appellation "Viking"? Perhaps not.

"Bugs". This of course invokes Bugs Bunny, included in the Kit as part of the homage to Mel Blanc, who for many of us had no existence outside of the world's best cartoons. However, one also might consider gangsters, mobsters, Bugsy Siegel (was it? can you tell I have no interest in actually Googling to confirm anything in this stream of consciousness?), machine guns and bank robberies. This leads inexorably to wiretaps, illicit listening devices, movies of the same (remember "The Conversation", anyone?) and by logical extension the FBI, J. Edgar Hoover and Richard Nixon. Finally, we come to entomology and actual bugs, which in common parlance encompasses so much more than the six-legged insects so beloved of taxonomical pedants.

Of "bunny", I shall be brief, noting merely not only the small cuddly animal and Beatrix Potter, but Hugh Hefner and the sexual revolution of the Sixties.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Excellent stream of consciousness, Ivansmom.

I think my mom had a Viking sewing machine.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 10, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Last comment on this I promise, apparently the decision to veil isn't optional - someone else agrees with me about the practice - as old as the vikings - there tied it to the kit :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I'm thinking of Bugs Bunny as Brunhilde, and Fudd as Siegfwied.

"What's Opera, Doc?"

Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbittt, Kill the Wabbit...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Vikings are not for rousting, they're for assimilating. The quicker the better.
It took ages to teach them the proper dress and decorum for church.

Posted by: Boko999 | July 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Ivansomom, Wilbrod, see my 1:27 PM.

I didn't post a link, though.

Or a pic of Bugs with the Brunhilde breastplates...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, bc, you called it. Once you mix wabbits and wikings, you can't peel the two apart.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Um, I don't mean to get anyone riled up anymore than they need to be, but consider that in the circumstance of the First Lady (who I think looked great in her outfit, BTW) meeting the Pope, I believe they were *both* in formal dress befitting the occasion.

One could make the case that they showed respect for the occasion - and for each other - by dressing appropriately.

That the Pope, President Obama, and the First Lady all gave head bows of acknowledgement and respect to each other shows me something, too.

My $.02, anyway.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

There is definitely a visit from an exterminator in our near future, does that count? With luck the issue is carpenter ants, not termites. Yikes!

Wilbrod, I know of a few churches that are serious about equality but not many.

Posted by: slyness | July 10, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Greetings Boodle. I have come to realize in the last 24 hours that being petted and spoiled, pampered, indeed, by arguably the most hospitable couple on earth, could really ruin one for normal life. It is just so *comfortable* to relax into being cared for.

I am having a high old time; staying with good friends with, a bonus, four lovely Bernese Mountain Dogs, and a lot of great food and drink. How could things be any better?

Have a great evening.

Posted by: Yoki | July 10, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

One other thing, dmd, the alcohol fumes from the Honda Indy Toronto would make the air up there interesting... (and not just because of what driver Paul Tracy's likely to say this weekend).

Though the fumes from Top Fuel drag cars (be they dragsters or funny cars) will actually burn mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.) if you're close enough for long enough.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Burn mucus membranes you say, that might come in handy with my current cold as I have a lot of mucus membranes that require burning.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

According to Emily Post, there are several protocols for meeting with the Pope. One is the general or group audience, requiring some simple forms and perhaps also simply letters of recommendation from ones local priest, etc. There is usually a briefing by a concierge prior to the meeting, with instructions. For these he (the Pope) will show up with eight Swiss guards, give a short talk, and everyone kneels as he gives personal and material benedictions. Hair covered for women, black attire, long sleeves. Pants suits permitted. Business suits, white shirts for men.

There are three other types of audience. The "private" audience is reserved for cardinals, heads of state, ambassadors, or others in prominent positions. The "special" audience is for people of slightly lower rank or to those who have a special presentation for the Pope. The third other type is the "baciomano," each visitor coming into the personal presence of the Pope, kisses his ring, and exchanges a few words with him, addresses him as "Your Holiness." Again small objects; rosaries etc. may be blessed.

Only functional jewelry is considered in good taste.

Emily Post points out that non-Catholics need not make the sign of the cross. They ought to kneel when it is kneeling time.

She also points out that at the baciomano, non-Catholics have a right, if they object to the protocol, to not go in the first place. Good point.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 10, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I see your point, dmd, and appreciate it.

I, too, remember the days of veils in church. We had to buy a veil and the school nuns kept all of them in envelopes in the closet so we'd always have something to wear to church. Or to use as a handy strainer when the fish needed its bowl cleaned.

I always felt sorry for Delores M after the sister used the veil DM paid for and thereafter had to wear to church to take care of the fish. Practical, I guess, but I was glad it wasn't mine.

Jumper, a former friend with a child who'd had a liver transplant told me that if you take Benadryl for an allergic reaction to take Extra Strength Tylenol at the same time. Their synergy gives you the ultimate over-the-counter antihistamine.

Posted by: -dbG- | July 10, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Bugs Bunny is the pop cultural reincarnation of the trickster god Loki. There that ties your Norse mythology to your Warner Brothers cartoons.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 10, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I did look up the requirements/traditions for attire by married women meeting the Pope.

My eyes went quickly to the option to wear National attire, i.e. Sari's. So my mind goes to if I was in that position what would I do, does it have to me my national costume, is there a minimum requirement on the lenght of the view - would a barrett with a piece of viel suffice, shortest lenght of arm covering, does charcoal count as black. Do we have a traditional canadian attire I could adopt cause I am doubting the toque, flannel shirt and jeans would be appropriate.

Yes, I truly realize I may need help with my issues :-)

Saw a picture of Michelle and family boarding the plane after, veil gone, coat gone, sunglasses on - stunning and in my opinion so much more appropriate.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Dress uniform would be nice if you had any, dmd.

Join the Mounties; THEY have the national Canadian costume as far as Americans (at least) are concerned.

Of course, you might go for the Voyageurs costume instead.

In either case, Canadian national costume would mean lots of red.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 10, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Hehe it crossed my mind Wilbrod.

I have to go to bed, cold meds kicking in, just saw all the typos in my last post - Oh My.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Nicely done, yello.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 10, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Days sure are long when you don't get to boodle because of work.

For general boodle edification, a little tidbit from our newest Senator:
"Franken's first bill, likely to be introduced in the coming weeks, will provide service dogs for veterans, and he has been talking about it with colleagues -- including California Democrat Barbara Boxer, whom he met for lunch in the Senate dining room on Wednesday." (from an article in the Strib)

Toodles and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 10, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember if I answered you earlier, Jumper. Lumber salvaging will be the order of the day as soon as that warehouse is torn down. Century old pine, lots of it clear. Heart pine, I believe. Whatever it is, it's from the days when a 2x4 was a 2x4. Many sizes: 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, 2x4, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12, 4x6; I haven't found any other sizes. I'm after framing lumber, and I might add that all of this stuff is rough cut. Unfortunately, no flooring as the warehouse has a concrete floor. Plenty of stuff to mill into flooring, if you so desire. There's a fellow who does this in a wood shop next door to the doomed warehouse.

Posted by: -jack- | July 10, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I hope your hand has reacquired its normal anatomical proportions.

Posted by: -jack- | July 10, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

peggy noonan (a conservative) on sarah palin:

sample passage:

In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.

Posted by: LALurker | July 11, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

jack, Jumper, hope everyone is on the mend.

I just watched Wit (recommended by kguy) - it is really a wonderful movie. Not for the faint of heart.

TBG mentioned fireflies the other day, and an article appears:

And this says fireflies are not found much west of Kansas...very sad.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 11, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

grew up with fireflies - one of the things i miss out here on the left coast.

i don't miss some of the other bugs, as per today's boodle news. we probably have more bees, but definitely fewer yjs. did have a scary nest of hornets once, but that seems to be a fairly rare thing.

Posted by: LALurker | July 11, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the firefly links. 2009 is a year of charm for us and these gentle, wee signal corps.

Off to a swim meet. Early is good when the coffee is hot and bites a bit at you.

I left an urn on the counter.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | July 11, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Another rainy weekend. *sigh*
I've got some staircase sanding to do, the rain might make me do it. Off to the market later for some stawberries, green and yellow beans, small cukes and whatever else is ready yet.

David Frum also takes down the Palin construction.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 11, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle and happy Saturday.

BPHers. I'll be in spirit with you on Monday and doing competition to BC on scarfing mussels.

I have managed to duplicate The BPH joint's mussel broth.

Here goes how I cook them.

Chop or grate one onion
Chop 2-3 garlic cloves
Chop parsley

in a large pot melt enough butter to fry onions and garlic. Before onions turn golden add one glass white wine, add
parsley, a pinch of merken or cayenne pepper, bring to boil. Add mussels. Steam until all mussels open.

Place mussels in soup plates and pour broth

This is the basic version

Version B remove mussels from pot, add heavy cream, bring to boil, pour into soup plates.

Version C: add a bit of tomatoe paste to cream (BPH version).

Posted by: Braguine | July 11, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

good morning boodle!

CqP-thanks for reminding how sweet it is to not be out on a pool deck judging turns of a summer Saturday morning, but enjoy every moment. I know I miss the dott's swim meets more than she does.

Brag-makes me want mussels, mmmmm. Good to see you popping up more frequently lately.

LAL-Peggy Noonan and I don't agree on politics, but I've always admired her ability to turn a thoughtful phrase ("thoughtful" being important still to some Reps). That was a pretty thorough thrashing, and for the party's sake it should be a sort of post-mortem.

Semi laid back day today-and gorgeous weather for gardening or just sitting on the glider on the screen porch reading and drinking coffee.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 11, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

We're back from the farmers market, lots of good stuff available. I bought kale, potatoes, and bread. We will have a good supper...

Mr. T says he's going to do the weed whacking along the lane and then be ready for adventures. We've got birthday and baby shower presents to buy, so I know we'll be spending some money. Maybe we can take a nice walk.

Posted by: slyness | July 11, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Brag, I'm glad you'll be figuratively elbowing up beside us for mussels on Monday. That's a good recipe, similar to what I use as the basis for the stuffed mussels I make during the Holidays.

It takes time, so I'm usually doing it during a football game (and it takes about as long...).

It's going to be a busy day today, but fun with friends and family.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 11, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

...do the weed whacking along the lane and then be ready for adventures.

Simply wonderful Slyness.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 11, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Morning all... slept late this morning and just got downstairs and fixed my coffee. I'm waiting for my Keurig one-cup brewer to arrive on Monday. Dr G and I sampled the machine at Wegman's last week and decided it was the one for us. Costco has a great deal: the same price as everyone else, but you get 90 cups thrown in, plus the reusable cup to fill with your own coffee.

The weather is still perfect here. I don't know what we've done to deserve this. Son of G and I continue to enjoy our minivacation together (Dr G returns from San Antonio today; yay!).

Yesterday we had a lovely lunch with a certain Maggie O'D and then spent the remainder of the day/evening/night out on the deck enjoying the glow of the impatiens boxes under the colored string lights. Just heaven.

I did have to chase a firefly out of the house when we came in. Whoever the person is as Pella who designed the screen door to go INSIDE the glass sliding door should be committed.

What's on tap for y'all today?

Posted by: -TBG- | July 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What kept me away from boodling and a lot of other things was struggling with a screenplay I was asked to do on spec.

Yesterday, started recovery with a good counter-clockwise, southern hemisphere SIESTA.

Yes! When involved in creative napping you must watch in which direction you rotate.

It has something to do with Coreolis force--Bug Science Tim or Padouk for a technical explanation.

Right now, I'm off to the Mercado Central to get mussels.

Gorgous, sunny day here, though a bit cool.

Posted by: Braguine | July 11, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The record tsunami was 524 meters in Alaska. That's taller than a 10 story building. How was that measured and where was the base located?

Posted by: sander | July 11, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle!

I'm up and rolling today.

I've taken care of the grocery shopping and paid the bills. It seems there may be enough left over for a bead purchase. Yay!

I guess it's time to take care of the laundry and porch-sweeping next.

Have a good day all!

Posted by: Moose13 | July 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Moose, I was noticing that the porch needed a sweeping... come on over!

Posted by: russianthistle | July 11, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'll ride the broom right over! Ha!

Posted by: Moose13 | July 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Reminder again everyone...

BPH Monday night (July 13)
McCormick & Schmick's
1652 K St, NW
(near Red and Orange Lines)
5:00 pm....?

See you there!

Posted by: -TBG- | July 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

sander, was that the mega wave that took a boat over a peninsula and the occupants and the boat found themselves in the bay on the other side?

Posted by: russianthistle | July 11, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Must be porch sweeping day, but first the recycling needs to go to the dump, sorry, "solid waste transfer station." Then I need to load the left over tile from the latest Chez Frostbitten project into the truck to go to the Habitat Restore the next time I'm in town. Then sweeping can commence. I feel momentum slipping away though, so all will have to wait until after dealing with the lawn. I'd complain more about our lack of rain if it hadn't slowed the grass down a bit, but if nothing else gets done today mowing must.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Someone in Charlotte organized a flash mob who boarded one of our fairly new light-rail commuter trains yesterday and all the participants began to blow bubbles. I got the heads-up this morning with this slideshow by a friend.

Nice way to wrap it up, yelloj.

My hand is about back to normal; thanks for all the good wishes, all.

jack: long leaf heart pine: drool, slobber. Almost a shame - heck, it IS a shame - to use for framing. Better have some new saw blades handy.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

glad you're on the mend, jumper.

Posted by: LALurker | July 11, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Sander:

If you just Goodle "highest tsunami" or Lituya Bay you'll find lots more. The various reports use slightly different measurements, by a few meters, but that's not significant.

'Morning, Boodle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Can't do much today but read the boodle and hunt-and-pick with one hand as my left is all wrapped up in an ace bandage over a plaster cast. yesterday finally took the plunge to have my sever dupuytrens of my left ring finger fixed. it had gotten so bad that i was wearing out my index and middle finger trying to lift stuff and do my gardening chores at the britt. a few years ago i consulted a hand doctor that wanted to slice and dice my whole hand to free up my finger. no way. then last year i was referred to another doctor that had began to use a technique developed in france years ago but had been shunned in the us (needle aponeurotomy). now it has been fixed with minimum invasion and have been told the hand will be good to go in a week.
I wonder why to us doctors were so slow to adopt this superior method. here is a link that shows the procedure.

Posted by: bh72 | July 11, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hope you have a speedy recovery bh.

After a wild morning thunderstorm turning into a nice day, trying to find the energy to get off the couch, this cold has really zapped my energy level.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 11, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Success!

Had a clam lunch. Small shells but meaty inside.

Have mussels to last me the weekend. Incredibly nice, warm day.

Building up energy to take a ambitious nap.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | July 11, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

the only discomfort is the point of my left elbow. have to keep the left forearm vertical to prevent swelling of the fingers.
envy to brag, with one hand wouldn't be able to handle dem little clams.

Posted by: bh72 | July 11, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

It's a little thing us doctors call francophobia.

Posted by: Boko999 | July 11, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

SCC oui?

Posted by: Boko999 | July 11, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering why that massive callous on my hand never went away even years after no longer doing daily carpentry. Now I know it's not a callous.

Speedy recovery, bh

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 11, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Latest Sign That the End Times Are Upon Us: teend-agers hire adults as image consultants to help them be more cool: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/11/AR2009071100346.html?hpid=topnews

Excerpt: ' "To find a grown-up who will help my daughter establish how she wants to look is a gift," her mom says.'

Ah, no. It's a business.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 11, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I saw that headline earlier Tim and just shook my head, thank you for reading so I do not have to.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought the whole point was that adults don't know what cool is. Only teenagers do.

Those teenagers must have helicopter parents.

Like, being totally uncool in high school was the end of the world for Bill Gates and a zillion other rich n famous people.

And like, the most cool people back in high school didn't all wind up alcoholics, in jail, or dead-end jobs.

And like, why am I saying like, you know, like I even know from cool anyway?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 11, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. I was out and about early today and picked up a bunch of lovely Cherokee Purple heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market. I got enough to share with my cousins and told him I would, so I can't eat them all.

The Boy has returned from camp, taller and sunbrowned. He went straight for his phone and then the computer. I expect TV will be on soon.

My kitchen-window thermometer, in the shade, reads 106. It was supposed to reach 105 here today. This is the third day of over-100 degree temperatures this week and expected to last at least through Tuesday. We already had a week of over-100 temperatures in June. I hope Senator Global-Warming-Is-A-Hoax Inhofe has a bunch of events scheduled for western Oklahoma, where it has been between 110 and 115.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Boko, what would superfrenchi say?

Posted by: bh72 | July 11, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I realize this may not be the most opportune time to mention it, but I wore a jacket while fishing on the lake-- was 60, 63 degrees today, partly cloudy and very windy, and I still was a bit cold when the sun wasn't out.

But then, we have -20 F winters so it all balances out. Gorgeous day, not one nibble, but enjoyed lying on my back with a fishing rod over my knee and thinking about nothin' but blue.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 11, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

sounds nice, wilbrod.

ftb, forgot to say that i completely agree with you about noonan.

Posted by: LALurker | July 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

bh, hope all goes well with your recovery.

Posted by: LALurker | July 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Bh, glad to hear that the hand will be fine. Jumper, also glad to hear that you're better today. I love the flashmob slideshow and will be sharing it all around...

Today's adventures: drove over to a town in the next county to have lunch at a favorite barbeque place and replenish the country ham supply. (The boodle will benefit from that one!) Then we wanted to take a walk but there was rain in the area so we searched for the gravel Mr. T wants for the driveway and the backyard; we weren't successful. However, we decided to walk the trail around one of the lakes. It was hot and muggy but so worth the effort. We did the circuit clockwise, instead of our normal counterclockwise, so the easy walking was at the end. Also worth the effort.

Herein is the issue: this particular lake belongs to the National Park Service. The trail is about as old as I am; I don't remember the first time I walked it but it has been over three and a half decades for sure. The trail has been seriously degraded by use and there have been a few upgrades, but there is no money for repairs where it has been submerged by a beaver pond. That annoys the heck out of me.

Posted by: slyness | July 11, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

bh, hope you have a swift recovery!!

Life's so much better when one doesn't have to monitor contractors, I tellya... One amusement park trip and one bike tour of D.C. later, it feels like a vacation again! As long as I don't look at the leaking gutter, that is... *SIGH*

Yes, slyness, the NPS has taken budget hits so often it's a shame. Hopefully some stimulus money made it to their well-deserving coffers.

*wondering-if-all-that-contractor-stress-will-end-up-making-me-sick-sometime-next-week Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 11, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon Al!

LAL, thanks for the Noonan quote. I had been trying to explain to Raysdad what bothers me about Sarah Palin, and couldn't quite articulate it. Noonan said it perfectly.

Corn, tomatoes, yellow beans, and melon from the farmer's market this morning. Added to the peaches, apricots, plums, zucchini, beets, and cucumber from the CSA, some good eats ahead this week.

Dinner tonight at a friend's house. Along with wine, I'm bringing her some of the beets. Too many for my house, as Raysdad isn't a fan. She wasn't interest in last week's collards, though. Nor am I. (I tried, but could not cook the bitterness out of them.)

Posted by: Raysmom | July 11, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Front page headline says it all today--about how we're well on our well to being the drought of record, surpassing the Texas drought of the 1950s, when the watering tanks for cattle still had some water in them. It's believed that it'll certainly be the costliest drought South Texas has ever seen.

The photo that accompanied the front page story this morning shows two cattle that are nothing but skin and bone--no visible flesh--since there's not enough moisture to grow feed. Look for higher beef prices.

Poorer folk in these parts are having problems paying their sky-high summer utility bills. I drove through a lower-income neighborhood yesterday coming home from the lunch gathering, and residents there are almost all letting their lawns go golden, or dead. I suspect they can't afford the expensive water bills either. San Antonio is so close to Stage 3 water restrictions--during which home owners are allowed to use their sprinkler systems only once every two weeks. Residents still can hand water with a hose, however.

Situation in the odd-shaped area of exceptional drought--south of Austin, west to Uvalde, and south to the border--is grim for all.

Posted by: laloomis | July 11, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

And bh, here's to a speedy recovery for you.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 11, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Might as well say the survivors' party on Friday, at lunch, was for those who survived this past week's job cuts. The four people fit into a small booth, with one chair added for me. We all knew job cuts were coming, told Dooley as much and the person near Bakersfield coordinating my high school 40th reunion.

What I haven't mentioned is that the cuts have been ongoing--ones and twos and small groups eliminated. A constant drip, drip, drip of layoffs. As I learned on Friday, the Friday lunch was not going to be for the surviors, per se, but just for the handful of friends to get together-- whatever the outcome last week. Two of the four are not in the data storage group: one man won't know for two weeks whether he'll have a job or not; one woman knows her job is secure after last week's cuts.

What makes it really, really weird is that my husband is the last man left standing of those who came from the San Leandro data center in 1994. The other survivor is a women who joined the company after it relocated to San Antonio. Those former coworkers of my husband's who took the severance package a year ago got a great deal, but their thinking, or plans, that they would easily land other jobs after they they took the severance package have not materialized.

We think, or hope, that we're good for about 9 months, give or take.

Posted by: laloomis | July 11, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does that automated voice you hear when you call to let the WaPo know you want to continue to receive the TV Guide sound awfully surly?

Probably just me.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 11, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi RD!

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 11, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Howdy, y'all. I'm headed into D.C. tonight, a friend is in the band playing in one of the Capital Fringe Festival shows. "Titus X", a punk-rock musical version of the Bard's "Titus Andronicus". Should be interesting!

If you're in the DC area, I'd urge you to take advantage of the festival (which runs through the 26th). A vastly wide variety of shows, pretty darned cheap. My buddy's show tonight is fifteen bucks.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 11, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Jezz, Linda, that is an ugly situation.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 11, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Had a nice afternoon and evening with friends and family. Nothing wrong with fun *and* productive; tinkering with cars and chatting about politics and government, the media, food, and careers.

And later, snuggling with daughters while enjoying a little silly entertainment.

Have a pleasant night, folks. I did.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 11, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Just learned of this volcano from last month

stunning pic, by the way. Bad coverage of the actual event so far, I can't find the height of the plume nor how long it lasted nor much of anything but "ooh, there are pretty sunsets now"

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Poor Boodle is dead,
Poor Boodle of ours is dead
All gather round its coffin now and cry
It had a heart of gold
And it wasn't very old
Oh why did such a Boodle have to die?

Posted by: nellie4 | July 11, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Please insert ode to Boodle between ScienceTim and bc. Thank you.

Posted by: nellie4 | July 11, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Hi, nellie! Since it is early on he right coast, I thought that this was appropriate.

spent the day wrecking, using a bevy of hydraulic jacks to lift, reframing, and replacing about 72sf of flooring. If you want the spoils, Jumper, c'mon down. I saved the longest pieces for you, about four feet long coursing about 6 feet. some smaller 3 foot pieces are there, too, and could be used to do a small bathroom or kitchen floor.

Posted by: -jack- | July 12, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

For the past few Sundays, I have being attempting to bake cakes from scratch, and also trying my hand on baking bread. People don’t call me a baker for a good reason. And for good reason, people don’t call me a cook either. But that’s another story for another time. I’ll get this cake and bread baking business right even if it kills me.

Posted by: rainforest1 | July 12, 2009 3:56 AM | Report abuse

New kit and pictures!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod_Gnome, on the off-chance your request for a religion that preaches total equality for men and women isn't wholly tongue-in-cheek, I offer Unitarian Universalism, which has evolved to uphold that ideal.

Posted by: jhbyer | July 14, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse