Tabloid Journalism

This is an exciting day at the Post because there are all these amazing structural changes in the editing and copy-flow process that I would explain in detail were I to have even the vaguest understanding of them.

There have been lots of meetings and memos. Entire departments have vanished. Where Financial used to be there's now a Taco Bell. Fact: They've told us that, in anticipation of a major architectural renovation of the newsroom, we should pack our belongings in boxes and take anything truly valuable to our homes. Um, sure. Like I believe that. Whatever happened to the decency of giving a worker a simple pink slip?

What's this all mean? I am the last to know. But probably the governing concept behind all these changes is "More Cowbell."

It is also an actual fact that there's a new thing called the Universal Desk. I don't know if the Universal Desk exists as a real object or merely as a Virtual Universal Desk. But obviously this is good for me, personally, as it would strongly suggest that the company has decided that its future depends on more articles about things like black holes, gamma-ray bursts and the Milky Way's possible collision with the Andromeda Galaxy. Unless there's some subtlety to the phrase "Universal Desk" that I'm missing.

Journalism is obviously in flux. In such moments, it's important to remember what we do well and what we don't do well.

What we shouldn't worry about, I believe, is trying to beat the tabloids at their own game. Thus, I'm not concerned that TMZ broke the MJ story. TMZ is not technically a tabloid operation, but it has the spirit of one. Most importantly, it pays for "news tips." Mainstream organizations don't do that, and we shouldn't, and if we miss some scoops, that's fine. Scoops are actually a small fraction of what reputable news organizations produce.

Years ago, in the Devonian, I was one of three reporters in the Herald's Palm Beach bureau assigned to cover the sudden and mysterious death of David Kennedy, one of Bobby Kennedy's kids. We got our clock cleaned by the National Enquirer, which was located right down the road in Lantana. But there was no shame in that, for Enquirer had about 28 staffers on the story, not to mention a loaded checkbook.

Yeah, the Enquirer broke the John Edwards story and got it right, it appears. But as the news business evolves, here's a vote for not trying to be more like the Enquirer.

That's just too much cowbell.

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 1, 2009; 12:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Jackson and The Robot
Next: History as Farce

Comments

I think I may have to adopt "more cowbell" as my motto.

Less tabloids would also be a good motto.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

LOL: "Where Financial used to be there's now a Taco Bell."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I was just going to comment on the sad lack of copy editing here. The headline that links to this article has 3 men reaching the Wimbledon finals...uh, no...

Posted by: seasea1 | July 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Love the Universal Desk.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The neighbor of some friends found out she had been laid off when she came back from vacation and could not login to her work account (she worked for the big software company north of Seattle). Just sayin', Joel...I'm sure you're getting promoted to the Universal Desk!

Posted by: seasea1 | July 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't the Universal Desk have to be in Hollywood?

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, it could also be in Florida.

Posted by: Moose13 | July 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to have to clean out the odds-n-ends drawer of the Universal Desk.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

When I first glanced at the word "copy-flow" I read it as "cow-flop."

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hm-m-m-m. Beginning of new quarter; up-coming long weekend; pack up for safe-keeping? Joel, you better think about checking with the security guards Sunday evening to see if you are going to be on Monday's admit list. And/or whether or not there will be a "there" there when you arrive.

Posted by: ebtnut | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, here's something on the Universal News Desk, but golly, it's over a month old...

Still, it was at the top of Google search, so it may be something, announcing all those new editors and all.

Posted by: VintageLady | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Circling flights and tardy cockpit crews annoy me... *SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's a couple of logos for the Universal photo desk:

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Did something happen to Michael Jackson? I don't recall reading anything about him recently.

Anyway, Happy Canada Day to all of our Canuckistani friends!

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

He's dating Mark Sanford's wife, pj.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon all
Back in west by god for a couple of days,taking care of the many weeds that love to call my driveway home.

Happy Canada day to all our northern boodlers!!!

I went searching for the cowbell video,but it seems the universal nbc owns the rights and I couldn't find it on you-tube or anywhere.So you'll just have to settle for BOC playing live. I really couldn't hear much cowbell,but plenty of smokin guitar from Buck Dharma.

Congrats to the Orioles on their greatest comeback ever in their history against the first place Red sox.behind 10-1 going into the bottom of the 7th,they scored 5 in the 7th and 5 in the 8th to win 11-10. Today's matchup between Boston ace Josh Beckett and new O's ace Brad Bergesson.It is again high drama bottom of the ninth O's ahead 5-3 but the tying runs are on with 2 outs.

I will keep you posted

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Too much, Mudge!

Boy, it is SO NICE in the mountains this afternoon. Current temp 72, relative humidity 49%, nice breeze, scattered clouds. I have all the windows open. I think I'll go read a book on the porch.

Posted by: slyness | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thank you, Mudge. That clears things up.

Now all I have to do is figure out who the hell Mark Sanford is. Was he one of these TV salesmen/infomercial guys by any chance? The name almost rings a bell.

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Karl...

*SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Farrah's funeral is getting lost in MJ's story.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

He's the man who crossed "the ultimate line" pj, not to be confused with the universal desk/drill/studios.

Posted by: VintageLady | July 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd say it's surely a sign of sound mind to have a 65-year-old backup guardian for a 79-year-old guardian of kids not yet in their teens... *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Shoot the sox get 4 in the ninth to tie it at 5!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Here's a nice Karl Malden obit from the L.A. Times:

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"Where Financial used to be there's now a Taco Bell."
Must be because TacoBell can pay higher rents than WaPo!
:D

Posted by: Gray62 | July 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I sometimes giggle at obits that say, "X was 97. The cause of death is known."

Reminds me of comedian Ron White saying, "What do you think? She wrecked her Harley during Bike Week?"

Posted by: Raysmom | July 1, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Will be away from the boodle tomorrow. Going to watch a bunch of golfers. I hear that young Tiger fellow is pretty good.

Posted by: Raysmom | July 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Karl Malden was married for 70 years to the same woman, Mona Graham, in Hollywood. That's gotta be a record that will never be broken.

pj, Mark Sanford had a TV show where he owned a junkyard and was maried to Elizabeth Edwards, who gave him heart attacks.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | July 1, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Monkee has the same rare cancer my sister-in-law died of 11 years ago. She was only 41.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Have fun, Raysmom!

Posted by: -TBG- | July 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My mom turned 89 this week. Still kicking, even with the walker. She's in assisted living now, but still sharp and alert. Hope I'm still that way at that age.

Posted by: ebtnut | July 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Elizabethan Edwards? The Elizabethans and the Edwardians were very different times. I'm so confussed.

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

You guys are so bad!

Posted by: seasea1 | July 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Nooooooooo! Please, can we have an MJ-free zone? Just for a short while?

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

MJ-free? What's wrong with Michael Jordan?

Posted by: -TBG- | July 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Damn, red sox win in 11,why can't managers let pitchers pitch complete games anymore is beyond me.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

And I'm confused, as well.

My brother's initials are mj.

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Aw, gee. Now Karl Malden -- now, HE is someone who actually deserves round-the-clock coverage, yanno? What a guy. He was an excellent actor and always played his role as a real person.

Geez -- they're all dropping like flies. Is it the weather? The profession? Can we pin it all on Cheney?

And before I take my leave for today, I wish to belt out a memorable O CANADA for my Canukistani friends. That is to say, I *wish* I could, but, alas, cannot. My good intentions are far more sustainable, not to mention melodic (I *told* you not to mention it!).

One more day until I disappear for I hope no longer than a week while I transition computers and my own ancient capabilities. Do keep me in your thoughts -- at least the good ones.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | July 1, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

pj, if I had my mother's last name, I would BE Michael Jackson

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Wherever they put the Universal Desk, if it served beer and wine... its DC, right? ... then it would be a Universal Joint.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

If it had a Universal Joint, bc would be able to fix it. And any of our glaucoma test pilots would be able to ......

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Joel, reading the Washington Post and your columns has been a real window for us into the machinations of a large for profit organization which has been living its adjustments out in the open.

I just saw someone from a large bureau who has found a new job. One would have never thought that the Post would go through the cutting and changing that it has and still has in store, but it is, in fact, happening.

I have casually met a couple of Post writers in the past 6 months and their behavior was a lot like a rookie slot receiver hearing that the quarterback truly is expecting him to run a crossing route against Sean Taylor.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Happy Canada day to all to whom it applies! Karl Malden falls into the "I thought he died years ago" category for me. But I did like his work and 70 years of marriage is commendable.

It's July 1st and I'm wearing fleece. And it's raining.

I'm making bluefish ceviche from fish caught by my SIL. He gave me the recipe. I don't like bluefish but I said I'd give it a try. "S" doesn't seem to be overly thrilled by the prospect of sampling it either.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 1, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks...

I had a taste for some sour cream dressing.

I bought a small leg of lamb that was discounted. Been roasting it for about 2 hours now. I think that it is close. I have potatoes, red onion, carrots and broccoli going with it.

The roast was marinated for about an hour in a mustard vinaigret with rosemary, oregano, pepper and honey dressing.

I have found some recipes that call for pimento and scallions for a dressing, but I don't have any citrus. I was thinking of some champagne vinegar and maybe some mint and cucumber dices.

What do you think?

Please respond to "saving RT's dinner"

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Aw, poor Sneaks. Fleece in July! Amazing!

Actually, I do like bluefish, but it does have a rich taste -- it's not a delicate, subtle tasting fish. Takes getting used to, I must admit. I'm not sure I'd like it ceviched, tho.

And, now I'm hungry. Gotta get dinner all taken care of before I settle down to tonight's rendition (need to take the dirty connotation out of that word) of SYTYCD. And hold onto my knees while those dancers are leaping across the stage. *sigh*

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | July 1, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

RT saved own dinner. Sadly, looks at Boodle.

Oh!!!! That is Goooooooooooooooooooood.

Now, should I bother to run down the street for a nice Malbec to complete the meal?

Nah.

I'm fine with water and maybe a Guava Juice.

What I don't understand is that there could be upwards of a thousand folks or more walked by this well-cut lamb and yet, all they buy is beef or pork.

There is something wonderful about a meal like this. Just a roast and some potatoes and carrots and onion.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Weed, just got back here after dinner. I used to love lamb, sort of lost my taste for it, but should try it again. I used to butterfly it, then marinate and grill it. I think rosemary is essential! Yours sounded great.

ftb, actually, because the bluefish was beheaded, gutted and skinned within “14 seconds” (according to SIL) of it being caught, the taste wasn’t at all strong. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to make it, but it was quiet good, tasting mostly like the lemon/lime juices it was ‘cooked’ in.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 1, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"Pitchmen" came on and what with Billy's untimely passing I gave it some time. Hilarious. Finally, they were pitching a doubtful shark repellent, and untrusting, (Billy repeating "What if it DOESN'T WORK??") they called an acoustical shark physiologist who had previously investigated such, and noting the new invention was utilizing frequencies he doubted the shark could even hear, suggested that the voice of Billy, currently in on this conference call, would be of a nature and frequency more likely to repel the sharks than the current potential device under consideration. This madness has left me astounded and so I retreated to the boodle.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 1, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

The Universal Desk is where they put the All Source Analysts. Really, I think they are kept right beneath the breath mints in the middle drawer.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 1, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks!

I am a bit bloated from the meal. I think I ate a couple carrots and a whole potato. I used to do the red wine and garlic thing with butterflied legs of lamb.

I always thought that they were awfly greasy on the open fire. Now, I can tell that the roast was well trimmed. It was boneless, which makes it easier to guage on the heat. I might have wished for a bit of yogurt to go into my sauce. The veggies, with a bit of pan drippings (not very greasy... mostly mustard and honey and herbs) along with a bit of pepper and course sea salt did the trick.

Who would have ever thought of some thinly carved roast lamb with a yogurt sauce?

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm laughing. I am braising a lamb shank in shallot/garlic/chicken broth/white wine/herbs even as we speak. This will be eaten (goodness only knows when) with grilled tomato, onion, zuchinni, and red pepper. Mediterranean seems to be in the air tonight. Perhaps I'll throw in a small cucumber/mint/yogurt salad to be russianthistle's follower.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

RD... been away, but brought back a small present for you and the other "so-called" scientists ...

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

My mom used to roast a leg of lamb for Sunday dinner sometimes. She'd put the lamb and some carrots and potatoes in a covered roaster just before we went to church. When we came home and opened the door, we were greeted by the wonderful aromas of the roasted meat and vegetables. The table got set for dinner very quickly those days.

Most of the lamb you find in stores now is Australian. Mom preferred American lamb. Not as gamy as the Aussie lamb.

Posted by: -pj- | July 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,
I almost went to some leftover chicken soup to moisten my roast. I also thought about a tomato, but ran out of room in the pan. A tomato may fall victim to a grilled mozzarella and peppered Salame sandwich in the next day or two.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

It will be a good death, Weed.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom, if they did "X was 97. The cause of death is UNknown..."

Wouldn't they get laughed at even harder?

Mind you, I wouldn't mind an obit like that printed for me once I hit 105.

"X was 105. The cause of death is unknown, as well as how X lived so damn long despite multiple attempts on her life by a series of great-nephews and nieces intent on inheriting all her dog's haikus..."

(I don't really expect to die with much.)

For the oldster obits, I mostly see "X passed away at Sunshine XX Ranch nursing home. X was 97 and had been in poor health for some (80) years..."

"X passed away at Neverland Ranch after a long struggle with autoimmune disease, civil ligitation, and plain weirdness...
X is predeceased by his beloved pet chimp..."

Okay, now that's not an obit you see everday. Still, come on, cut out the hoopla already.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I figure it is part of the circle of life, Yoki.

Please take a gander at the video link that I posted. It has a distinctly Canadian tenor.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

JA, you didn't mention Canada Day... I'm shocked and dismayed. But looks like bad sneakers beat you to it! Well, happy Canada day to all!

Posted by: MissToronto | July 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I am puzzled by how all but the most important events for mankind happened on a Monday.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question for you rocket scientists:

If bankers are so smart, why can't they remember what language you speak from one visit to the ATM to the next? It's probably stayed the same for the last 4 or 500 visits.

Darn, they can remember just about everything else.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

For the country that has 2 million lakes, or 1 lake for every 15 people or so-- (Dang. Can I apply for Canadian citizenship based on my grandma?)

"O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

Hmm, nary a word of all that lakeshore property. Sneaky.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

RT, I appreciate the link, I really do. But, see, when I lived in the interior of BC that is *exactly* what my neighbours and friends were. So Red Green is not so much comic, as, well, nostalgic. Tenderly loved and missed.

Thank goodness for the sophistication and bright lights of Calgary!

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Prolly I'm going get held for posting too often, but here's a confession. Every Canada Day I sing Oh Canada (you did good, Wilbrod!) at some point. Usually alone, in the basement or garage, where nobody else need have my 'singing' inflicted upon them. But I do.

Am I turning Conservative in my aged state?

Now, off to attend to those grilled vegetables.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

*faxing myself to Yoki's dining room table*

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 1, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Come on up, 'mudge. You are always welcome, as is the rest of the fellowship.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Go out in the middle of a field and do it a la "Sound of Music," Yoki. Drive out of the city if need be.

Above all, sound that barbaric yawp!

"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world."

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Yoki
Open your window and sing to the neighborhood,I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Weed, we love Red Green. "S" has a t-shirt with the man's prayer on it.

When #1 was little, she used to call it 'lamb of leg' to my father's infinite amusement.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm more likely to be pelted with rocks and garbage than I am to be appreciated, gwe.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, green man, I sent you an email. Check for it.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

shreks, didn't mean to cause umbrage. Thought there would be pride in being only a few degrees removed from an international world's champion.

Posted by: bh72 | July 1, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

2 million lakes!!! Now that is a lot of fishing to be done there.I bought something Canadian today!! Can anyone guess what it was?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

So sad... Betty Slocombe has passed away.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Molson?

Posted by: bobsewell | July 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

A Flannel Shirt?

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Maple syrup? Moose whistles?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

dreaming of fish in'
land o' two million lakes,
nightcrawlers in hand...

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

A map?

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Betty Slocombe - Full name: Mary Elizabeth Jennifer Rachel Avergaveny Yiddle Slocombe.

That's a mouthful!

Posted by: bobsewell | July 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

A snow blower?

Posted by: russianthistle | July 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Some help please, Canucks & Co.

I'm trying to select a fine Canadian poet for the 4th of July (in reparation for quoting a raw American poet to Yoki concerning O Canada.)

I have a website but I have no idea who's the best known and most Canadian poet.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I know! Gwe bought Alex Trebek at a bargain basement, no questions asked.

By the way, found this poem "Women at Forty" but I am still looking for the ultimate "all-Canadian" poe-m/t.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Angels will be served
pussy tales with panache, and
giggle helplessly

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

gwe bought a toque. Or round bacon.
And according to Anderson Cooper, the beloved pet chimp is still alive. And it doesn't seem I was mentioned in the will.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 1, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Canadian Night Crawlers

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, Robert Priest,

She is as familiar to me
as the taste of my own spit

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

There was, in the 70s, a sound poet, totally Canadian, who had a soundpoem,

A wa rm place to sh it,
Awar m place t o sh it,
Th is is ca mp
to find a wa m pl c

to

sh

t

This is brilliant, Canadian, and my experience at summer camp.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Happy Canada Day!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I found his prose poem "To swallow a pig" very interesting, Yoki.

Wikipedia says he does kiddie poetry as well as adult poetry. I dont see any poems about spit, though.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

That is it dna girl and Yoki got it. Some fine Canadian night crawlers are going swimming tomorrow.

Although the snow blower sounds good too,if we ever get any snow I could use it.

Hey Yellow, I went for a hike down the new trail at Patapsco park,where the new mini swinging bridge is.That is a pretty cool trail. Does anyone ever float down that river dude?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

With or without concrete overshoes on, Gwe?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 1, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Those worms will sleep with the fishes.

(Ideally, in them, I guess.)

Posted by: bobsewell | July 1, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

You didn't caused umbrage bh72, the judges at that contest did. The VLP is panting heavily right now and trying to break all the bones in my left foot by resting "heavily" on it. He's spooked by fireworks, the artificial thunderstorms...

The O Canada was written in French initially. I can sing most of it, I think, but you don't want to hear that. I remember singing the second part in French (with the proud race along the giant river bit) at an Alouettes game while the singer went on in English. The singer was so bad in French the first part that was supposed to be in French didn't make any sense. That was fun. A few fellow football fan caught on and knew the words.

The rubbed steaks were well received, the sauce marchand de vin a roaring success. The simplest things work best.

I'm going back to work tomorrow but I don't feel like it. There is still plenty of things to do around the house and having the dogs underfoot all day is kind of pleasant. The gorgeous weather doesn't help.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually Bob I want them to bite on the worm,have me catch them and then they graciously give me back the worm(or most of it)so I feed m more of them....sort of.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 1, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Canadian poets: Robert Service, Margaret Atwood, John McCrae, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 1, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boodle. I'm going.

Love you all, so so much. It has been a happy couple/five years.

Happy days, and good love.

Yoki.

Posted by: Yoki | July 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Gaston Miron, the boss.

Claude Péloquin
Félix Leclerc?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

What, what, what? Going... for good? What?

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 1, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod - perhaps the "best-known" poet might be Lt.-Col. John McRae, MD. He wrote "In Flanders Fields."

(BTW, that's pronounced Leftenant.)

As for other great Cdn poets, there's Robert Service, although he was actually born in Scotland, and there's Margaret Atwood and Barry Callahan and that Len Cohen fella and Archie Lampman and Félix Leclerc and Hugh MacDonald and Susanna Moodie and Michael Ondaatje and Charles G.D. Roberts.

Don't tell me what the poets are doing
Don't tell me that they're talkin' tough
Don't tell me that they're anti-social
Somehow not anti-social enough
- "Poets," by The Tragically Hip

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 1, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Yoki??

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 1, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, while I was reading some Canada Day stuff today it was mentioned that someone read Earle Birney's "David" every Canada Day.

A great great poem IMHO, of course right now I cannot locate a link but will keep looking.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 1, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, you OK?

Here is the link for David, quite long and not exactly uplifting, Man vs Nature such a strong theme in CanLit.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's another you missed while kvetching...'JOHN EDWARDS ex-aide Adrew Young apperars before Federal Grand Jury in Raleigh, NC. Young just signed a book deal that confirms The NATIONAL ENQUIRER's on-going reportage.

"FOLLOW THE MONEY"

Posted by: NAT_ENQ_1 | July 1, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Um, who is supposed to have missed that, NAT_ENQ_1? I believe it has been mentioned. And it was on the WaPo front page. It's just that Edwards is no longer terribly important nationally, as his career is dead from self-inflicted wounds. And Elizabeth Edwards is becoming a less sympathetic character as one finds her popping up everywhere, plugging her book. So, no, we didn't miss it; we just don't care that much, any more.

But good use of a Yiddish verb.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 1, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Was Yoki going off to sleep with the fishes?

Posted by: bobsewell | July 1, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

In theory, I'm emotionally pretty well-equipped to handle someone's final farewell. But I might need just a bit more than Yoki gave us there.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 1, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Everybody relax. Yoki's fine. I just talked to her. She just may not be Boodling for a while. Can't explain, just trust me on this. (Has nothing to do with the Boodle.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | July 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Well then, that's much better if not completely satisfying.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 2, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

um, the reason is confusong me, but enjoy:

Posted by: omnigood | July 2, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Come on, Yoki, was that a good night?

Ivansmom, my grandsons left the lizards here while they're at the daughter's apartment. They come back in the evening and feed them. I had plans for them this week of hitting the trails at the park, and going to the pool. That's on hold. We need the exercise, but dread to start. It has probably worked out for the best. I've been so sad since the death of my neighbor.

Slyness, the weather sounds so nice where you are, still hot and getting hotter here.

Martooni, Mudge, Scotty, and everyone, may God bless and keep you, and your families. *waving* Have a great Fourth, everyone.

Enjoy your vacation, JA, and take care.

Posted by: cmyth4u | July 2, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

gwe,

I've never seen anybody float the Patapsco. For one, you couldn't get past Blode Dam. I do always see some groups swimming up around the Ilchester Road entrance.

The swinging bridge is very cool, but if two bicyclists are trying to walk across in different directions, it causes traffic jams.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 2, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mudge, I didn't see the comment concerning, Yoki. I hope she's okay, and things are well with her. If you communicate with her again, just tell her, I love her too.

Posted by: cmyth4u | July 2, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing how force of habit keeps rolling along, even on vay-kay...

Hope Yoki enjoys her walkabout, and that Cassandra does get that exercise along with good times with the g-girl, and that Raysmom (and Raysdad? Ray?) get to shake Tiger's hand today.

My dad often launches into Robert Service's "The Cremation of Sam McGee" at the oddest times, but that poem always brings a smile.

As does NukeSpawn's somewhat delayed but ultimately safe arrival!!! :-)))))

*off-to-the-Zoo-in-a-train-and-Metro-and-foot-power-sorta-environmentally-friendly-way Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 2, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Trying to resume dawn patrol status, while having nothing much to report. If nothing else, I read Tom Toles, then read article on the black female reporters assigned to Michelle Obama, written by Howard Kurtz. It was ok, nothing special.

Congressional is a great course to follow the greats around. Enjoy, Raysmom.

Posted by: VintageLady | July 2, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Now I know why Scotty was concerned yesterday about circling planes and the cockpit people. Glad all are safe in your kingdom, Prince of Nuke.

Posted by: VintageLady | July 2, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

'morning all.
Somehow that made me laugh. Maybe the party of no diversity should relax with the morning prayers and Christian retreats and spiritual advisors. The GOP is down to 0/1 in the Jewish Senator/Rep category vs 13/30 for the Dems.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 2, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Morning all. It was 58 in the high country when I got up. Today's high will be in the low 70's. This is what having a mountain place is all about.

Cassandra, did you get rain yesterday? I noticed a pretty good thunderstorm on radar in your neck of the woods. Hope the lizards stay well and that you all start reasonable and moderate exercise.

I'm going to get dressed and go walk around the municipal lake.

Posted by: slyness | July 2, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle! Teens from our after-school program opened their "social venture" consignment shop yesterday and made a few sales. They went with a soft opening, just a few hand made signs posted at the driveway entrances to the fire hall/community center where they have rented space from Our Fair City. The shop is a long way off from covering costs, much less being profitable, but WOW how far they've come since the last week of May when I first met them. They've written a business plan, negotiated a lease, scrounged the countryside for fixtures, interviewed artists... I'm so proud! Next week work on the web site begins.

Off to read the papers with a second cup of coffee. The 3-day robotics day camp that had me up at 0400 is over but man was it fun. I think some of them may have discovered their passion.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 2, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I had never seen the Red Green Show before.

Oh, the wasted, wasted years.

And I liked the Perpetual Motion Machine. You would be surprised (or perhaps not) by how often I encounter someone who wants to do something sorta like this.

This is when I go hide in the Universal Desk.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 2, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

It’s so dark and foggy I had to turn the light on so I could see the keyboard. Just another lovely day here in New England. The Today Show is broadcasting from MJ’s ranch. Will this never end!? I keep thinking of the story of the Emperor’s New Clothes, I wonder why?

Yoki, enjoy your time away from it all. One last day of work before a three-day weekend. Then three more days until vacation, yipee!

Posted by: badsneakers | July 2, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

My daughter now feels your pain, sneaks. She's been at a camp on Saranac Lake, NY since Saturday and it's been unremittingly dreary. I think the high has been 62 with little or no sunshine. She was so excited to go because she wanted to learn how to waterski, but when they took them out, it was so cold that they couldn't really enjoy it. I feel really badly for her...you too!

Posted by: Kim1 | July 2, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

RD... I don't know if you goofing on me about knowing Red Green, but the toss off lines are sometimes funnier than the gag--like the definition of perpetual.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 2, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Yoki made me think about "Braising Arizona" last night.

Hope her Lamb Shank was very tasty.

I warmed up a few choice slices of my lamb and vegetables just a moment ago and have to say that it was a killer.

The mustard, pepper, mint, cucumber, vinegar and sour cream sauce really came together over night. Just wonderful, iidssm

My "DAY OFF!!!!"

Off to meet the wizard.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 2, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Kim... I went to Young Life camp at Saranac Lake in 1972 and it rained the ENTIRE WEEK! But what a beautiful place!

I'm glad you brought that memory to mind because when you're 17 and surrounded by a couple hundred other teenagers, it really doesn't matter what the weather is like!

Frosti... has anyone told you lately how lucky those kids are to have you up there? I sure hope so!

Posted by: -TBG- | July 2, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, we got two drops of rain. Maybe two drops and a half. And after the two drops, bright and sunny as ever.

The lizards are fine. I've been feeding them lettuce, with a long handle spoon. We're definitely not bonding. As for the exercise, my grandsons don't want to move from the couch. That's a big reason why they're at my daughter's apartment. I thought we would start out at the pool since it's so hot. And then perhaps take on the nature trail, early in the morning. I'm not suppose to be in the sun because of the medications I take. Of course, I forget that sometimes.

Want to trade weather, Slyness?

Posted by: cmyth4u | July 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse