Thanks, Jupiter

The other night I was at the Baths of Caracalla watching "Tosca," an opera that I found very, very operatic. Not that my attention ever wandered, but sometime in the second act, or stanza, of the performance, I noticed a bright light rising above an umbrella pine to the east. It couldn't be Venus -- that'd have to be somewhere over near where the Sun had set. So it was Jupiter, surely. A very Roman planet, don't you think? What I didn't know, or couldn't detect, is that within two days Jupiter was going to get slammed by an asteroid or comet, an impact detected by an amateur astronomer with a backyard telescope.

A writer at the Christian Science Monitor says this is a reminder that the Earth is in a shooting gallery. But to me it's also a reminder that it's nice having a gas giant doing our downfield blocking. Fifteen years ago, Jupiter took a hit from Comet Shoemaker-Levy. It may be that civilizations flourish only on planets that have protectors. So the next time you see Jupiter rise, offer some thanks.

Though maybe it will actually be Sirius.

I am focused like a laser on health-care legislation, and am awaiting Obama's presser tonight. But I'm also obsessively studying that horrible, shattering Tom Watson putt on the 18th at Turnberry. Here's a YouTube of it. Jeepers. It's like watching a puppy run over by a truck. Yeah, for 71.5 holes, it's an incredible story, uplifting -- a narrative that says that, even at an advanced age of 59, a golfer might be able to turn back time and perform as he did in his prime. And then we are reminded that this is delusional. Golf is about failure. And life is about death. No one here gets out alive. That putt NEVER goes in.

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 22, 2009; 5:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yellowstone To Blow?
Next: Obama: Outside the Rhetorical Box

Comments

Gee, first?

Posted by: ebtnut | July 22, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll let SciTim chime in on which astral body you saw, though Jupiter is a likely candidate. The health care issue has become like the weather - everyone talks about, but nobody can do anything about it. The Repubs have essentially said (see, Steele and DeMint) they just want the Pres to go down in flames. Never mind that "we don't do policy". I hope the Pres can make his case clearly tonight.

Posted by: ebtnut | July 22, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I think you're making this too hard. I Googled "God is Love" and "Jesus is Lord" and got explanations that made sense to me. In my simple-minded, hippie-like way, God is Love means brotherly love, that God loves us all, and we should love God and everyone else, and act accordingly. To me, Jesus is Lord means accepting that Jesus is the Son of God, divine, the same as God.

I haven't noticed anyone proclaiming this, but then, I've been sticking pretty close to home lately, since I have no particular place to go. And maybe since I'm not on mass transit much - but we did get light rail as of last weekend, and look who's on it:

Posted by: seasea1 | July 22, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's another lovely communications conundrum: Flag-burning.

For some (such as myself), a flag is a symbol, and manipulating it (e.g. flying it upside down) conveys meaning, and the act of manipualation is therefore speech. Burning a flag is particularly high-emotional-volume speech for sure, but political speech certainly, and therefore protected.

For others, a flag is somehow interwoven into the very fabric of our civilzation and should therefore be inviolate. At least, that's as far as I can attempt to understand them. *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 22, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Joel saw Tosca at the Baths of Caracalla? I would love to do some opera tourism, though I am a dabbling amateur. I saw recently that there is a Puccini festival in Tuscany. Bayreuth would be great, too.

Tom Watson used up about three normal lifetimes of luck chipping in vs. Nicklaus at Pebble Beach, so he shouldn't be too glum.

Posted by: engelmann | July 22, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and thanks, Jupiter. Way to take one for the team.

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 22, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

By Jove, that's one handy gas giant!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 22, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Okay, pointy-headed sciency types. A challenge that should be a real softball in the internet era.

Tosca was performed in Rome on these dates: 14-15-16-17-21-22-30 July at 9.00 pm. Assume he attended the performance on the 17th.

What did Joel likely observe?

Show your work.

Posted by: engelmann | July 22, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it permissible to fall on one's virtual sword out of frenvy over Tosca at Caracalla? Is it possible to be so very frenvious that one spontaneously combusts (in the nicest possible way, of course)?

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Tosca!! She's one cool character. Too bad she jumps off a wall. And in Rome, no less, the original setting. I'm really jealous, Joel.

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

*spontaneously faxing extinguishing agent in Yoki's direction* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 22, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, re-posted from last kit.

Just because you didn't understand what I was saying doesn't mean I was being dismissive. And no, you can't know what it's like to be a lesbian, or a drug addict, or a mother. You can't know what it's like to be a teenage girl, no matter how many Judy Blume books you read. All the language in the world isn't going to make you know. But in the case of God is Love, there's a chance a reader will have an ephiphany. That's what he's hoping for. (I think Cassandra spoke to this yesterday.) You clearly haven't had the kind of epiphany that allows you to understand.

(BTW, the God is love thing is a quote from the bible...1 John 4:16. There's a lot more detail there, should anyone decide to take a peak. The guy at the football stadium holding the John 3:16 card is doing the same thing, he's just giving the citation instead of the quote).

Posted by: LostInThought | July 22, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

By Jove, I think he's right.

Posted by: engelmann | July 22, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee. Love the oath, engelmann!

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Jove is love.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else seen any of the Opera Imagnaire? Here's their take on Tosca.

And my favorite from La Traviata

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

No... wait!

God is Jove.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Love is, and ever will be. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 22, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry...SCC as I didn't quote myself correctly (duh). My post started

Just because you didn't understand what I was saying doesn't mean I was being dismissive (which I wasn't, and see, I make no reference to your brain being in left field somewhere because you didn't understand. I spoke directly to you instead).

Posted by: LostInThought | July 22, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

What we have here is a failure to communicate, or, as E. M. Forster said, "only connect."

Posted by: rickoshea0 | July 22, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Joel,

Here are a few of Dan Jenkins's comments on the British Open:

Tentative prod by Watson from eight to 10 feet on what could have won it after Westwood's three-jack. Watson and Cink in a playoff.

Watson's giving Cink 23 years in the four-hole playoff.

In the press room, we had a suspicion we weren't good enough people to deserve Watson winning.

Posted by: -pj- | July 22, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

OK.. another change in subject... whenever my eye has glanced at this picture as it zips by on the WaPo home page, the expression "p*ssing contest" springs to mind...

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Try this. Not only Puccini, but the incredibly *sweet* tenor of Pavarotti, his broad shirt-front over his corporation (can't miss that on stage!) and his towel.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Jove is a god.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

And rather a cheerful god, at that!

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one wondering if the audience are in the baths while viewing the Opera?

Posted by: dmd3 | July 22, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

dmd... no you are not. :-)

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

So, a cheerful audience too?

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

abeac, love your link a trifecta for me, it amuses me, speaks to my sweet tooth and the music is wonderful.

Now to check Yoki's link - I love it when there are classical/opera links.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 22, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Joels kit has inspired me, I must plan to check the next full moon, crank the pool heater and bring music out to the pool area, then when dark float in the pool and enjoy the sky and the music. If I squint just and use my imagination right my Ash tree might look like an umbrella tree and my home an Italian villa.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 22, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Yoki.

I listened to Philippe Jaroussky's Vivaldi Heroes all afternoon, and the contrast to Pavarotti is intense.

Here is my favorite Jaroussky on YouTube

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, abeac1! Love Monteverdi, and countertenor, but... there is no comparison to 19th century opera and tenors, really, is there?

One of things about monophony and medieval music, is the lack of vibrato. Like the voice of angels.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I will be tiresomely non-poetic: it was Jupiter.

(a) It was on the opposite side of the sky from the sunset. Therefore, it cannot be Venus or Mercury.

(b) Mars opposition will be in January, so Mars presently rises in early morning. Opposition = on a line pointing from the Sun through us.

(c) Saturn opposition is late February/early March these days, so it also rises sometime like sunrise.

(d) No other solar system bodies besides the Sun, Moon, Jupiter, and comets are accessible to naked-eye observation (except the occasional perfect-sighted weirdo can see Uranus if he knows exactly where to look). This object was on the opposite side of the sky from sunset, therefore it's not the Sun. The Moon and comets are pretty distinctive (one might say the same of the Sun). It was obvious, and I happen to know that Joel uses corrective lenses, therefore it's not Uranus.

That leaves Jupiter.

Also, I happen to know that we're right around Jupiter opposition, which is why I am going to Hawaii in two weeks.

Because planets move through their orbits, the date of opposition changes throughout the year. The farther out from the Sun, the more slowly the date changes.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 22, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

SciTim... you are a Titan among boodlers.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Do you like Gesualdo's music, Yoki or abeac? Very intense music with harmonies that other composers didn't catch up to for another 300 years. He was a contemporary of Shakespeare but his music isn't anything like that from Shakespeare's plays.

Monophonic music can be intense, too. I remember walking into Tower Records in DC on a chilly and rainy Sunday morning one April and hearing Hildegard von Bingen's "A Feather on the Breath of God." I stopped in my tracks. That was about 25 years ago and it is still my favorite music to hear on a chilly, rainy spring morning.

Posted by: -pj- | July 22, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I will just say one thing: on scale of 1-10 of communication difficulties, complaining about the ineffability of "God is Love" is a minus 10.

On the other hand, being a nonspeaking deaf person in a world of people who don't know anything about them is a PLUS 1,000.

All that fancy verbiage is way off the mark. Basic communication theory would set Mudge right on his assumptions and help him reframe his problem.

For more precise analysis, I suggest consulting a sociolinguist.

Or just soaking his head in a bucket.

In short... I've had it with that subject.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 22, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

[British accent] By Jove, I think he's got it![/British accent]

Posted by: -pj- | July 22, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Yoki, I prefer 19th century music.

My boss is very knowledgeable about Baroque music, hardly listens to anything else. Every so often he brings music for me. He introduced me to Jaroussky and L'Arpeggiata a couple of months ago. I ended up buying a bunch of tracks from his CD's on Amazon. I find his voice very soothing.

Looking up Gesualdo on YouTube now.

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

A very musical boodle...

pj, you do a great Rex Harrison!

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long Joel had to work to come up with a Kit topic that would allow him to write the words, "The other night I was at the Baths of Caracalla watching "Tosca..."

Posted by: -TBG- | July 22, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

My new movie is called Being Jacques Derrida. Who plays Derrida?

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 22, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

One must be pretty supple as well to see Uranus.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

To quote the great Albus Dumbledore (by way of J.K. Rowling):

"... how often this happens even between friends! Each of us believes that what he has to say is much more important then anything the other person might have to contribute!"

Posted by: bobsewell | July 22, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

TBG - I was thinking something similar. You can spend a significant part of your career setting THAT line up!

Posted by: bobsewell | July 22, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

shriek - I was going to stop chuckling before I thanked you for THAT line, but it may be a while.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 22, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Any Method actor, Jumper?

Posted by: -pj- | July 22, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I'm a goyim but speak French like a native. I can do crazy hair too.
Getting them philosophical thoughts in my hard head will be though though.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Nah, shriek, you're just a goy. There would need to be more of you to be goyim.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 22, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Why does packing tape make frosted glass clear?

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

My yiddish sacks then? Or is it hebrew?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Mudge has hit on a technical area here, certainly one that's way beyond my competence to analyze. That won't stop me from trying, however. First of all, the guy is saying, "Look at me, here I am, I'm one of *those* people and I'm not going away, so don't bother trying to pretend we don't exist." Second, he's saying, "If you think you might be one of us, if thoughts about Jesus have been popping into your mind lately, maybe you should stop fighting it and see what happens." Neither of these meanings has anything to do with the sentence "Jesus is Lord," as such, but the guy is carrying a sign, after all, and the medium is the message. The third thing he's trying to do is to excite your curiosity and get you to investigate. I'd say that the response "Huh?" is exactly what he wants from a total non-believer. Instead of recalling all your dreary Sunday school lessons from the past and congratulating yourself on having rejected them, you are saying "Huh? What does that even mean?" That's a real response, and he's gotten under your skin, even if only to start you to asking a bunch of meta questions.

Posted by: woofin | July 22, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

It sachs, doesn't it?

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@Ivansmom: I'm against the DHR, because pitchers should have to bat and run the bases like everybody else. Also, a pitcher who can hit is one of those quirky realities that can change a game, and thus part of the charm of baseball. And a pitcher must learn to bunt. (I care about those aspects more than I do about managers having to make the double switch.) That said, I can live with the DHR in the AL, but I think it shouldn't be used at the learning levels of the game.

Now what I truly can't stand is aluminum bats..."Ping!"...ugh

Posted by: woofin | July 22, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and I would need a stunt man for the frontal nudity shot. Tim, Mudge?
Those artsy fartsy movies always have a token male nudity scene to balance out the hot chick that has been preening around naked for all the opening sequence, right?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"recalling all your dreary Sunday school lessons from the past and congratulating yourself on having rejected them"

It is this sort of interpretation that seems to be creating a problem. Perhaps I missed something, but I never got the sense that Mudge was deriding anyone for having accepted those lessons, or the equivalent. His question was about why someone would choose to try to persuade by using a method that appears to be actively counterproductive.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 22, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Gesualdo! Ooooh! Ooooh! Great stuff,that. Excellent dissonances, they'll really set your teeth on edge.

pj, one Christmas Eve midnight Mass I did a Hildegard von Bingen solo. It was great - just floated through the church and over everything. That kind of music is as wonderful to sing as to hear.

Tosca at the Baths. Opera. Yum! Good for Joel. I'd rather the audience be in the bathwater than the singers.

And thanks, ScienceTim, for confirming that Joel saw Jupiter, our friendly big brother planet. You are a god among Titans.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm? What do *I* have to do with nudity in movies? I have made my head nude for movies, not my loins.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a tune cootie? Someone spent money on researching a cure. I could have told them that for free...

Posted by: abeac1 | July 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd be a goy (thanks Bob) playing Jacques Derrida. Hence the need for a suitable frontal nudity body double.

What's worse Tim? A comet hitting Earth or a Supervolcano? I just feel doomed.

Got the dead tree NatGeo today. Great article and artwork.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, ScienceTim, I'm with you on Mudge's fascinating observations. That's what I thought he was saying too.

Mudge, I emailed you but something ate it. I think I don't have your right address anymore, since I lost Outlook. Grrrr.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 22, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ha! EYE don't feel doomed. The more I understand, the better I seize the day. All is beautiful and a gift.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

In the movie, all questions should be answered with other questions. Especially in the nude scenes.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 22, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Why is that?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I'm SO with you. If it ends tomorrow, or turns to crap tomorrow and doesn't end until a thousand (or ten billion) years from now, so be it. Gotta play the hand we're dealt, and try to avoid having reason to regret the way we played the last hand.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 22, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Trouble logging in, so new and improved handle.

Doggie ate an entire butter stick. Evidence is everywhere. Love is a dog, today.

Feather on the Breathe of God by Hildy transports.

She was a mystic, clearly, and a scientist, herbalist, diplomat, CEO....here is one translation of the essential gist of Feather:

"Listen: there was once a king sitting on his throne. Around him stood great and wonderfully beautiful columns ornamented with ivory, bearing the banners of the king with great honor. Then it pleased the king to raise a small feather from the ground, and he commanded it to fly. The feather flew, not because of anything in itself but because the air bore it along. Thus am I, a feather on the breath of God."

And, I think my next dog should be named Jove. Thanks, TBG, for that.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 22, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

When all the questions are answered with other questions, be sure they are open-ended questions - or else questions which reference something not in the original question. Especially in the nude scenes.

I was going to suggest Joel for the lead, but those nude scenes might be a dealbreaker. How about Arnold Schwarzenegger? He has some movie experience and might want a little break from his current job. He could donate his profits to the State of California.

Posted by: Ivansmom | July 22, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Well said, clever Yoki!

Posted by: woofin | July 22, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

shrieking_denizen, I really do believe that we make our own happiness in this world, and I have chosen to be fully and completely happy about a river walk, and a good meal of dahl and rice, and the sweet body of a beautiful man, with no expectation beyond, just, this.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

@SciTim (9:58): I intended to agree exactly with what you say and to suggest my own cheesy amateur answers to Mudge's query. Sorry if that wasn't completely clear. *Sigh* it's getting too late in the evening for me, gotta go.

Posted by: woofin | July 22, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom,

That Hildegard solo sounds perfect. It should float above everyone and everything.

Gesualdo's music is extraordinary. You hear dissonances that are still jarring today. One wonders what people in the 16th century thought of them. Add his biography to the mix and you have a great historical character.

Posted by: -pj- | July 22, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

All frenvy of JA ended when watching Tosca while bathing was mentioned. Now all I picture are those stupid Cialis bathtubs.

Off to backboodle. Missed Obama's health presser and all but the last ten minutes of SYTYCD.

Furloughs and other bad economic stuff coming to our after school program. Spent the day getting permission to keep our unit open on an abbreviated schedule while others close for 90 days, effective Monday. Now to find the money. Will start with my early departure (Aug. 13 vs. 31) and leaving the position unfilled. After that, who knows?

Off to back boodle and then to sleep.
Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 22, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

SCC-one "off to back boodle" is sufficient. Fatigue my only excuse.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 22, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Woofin, I agree with you.

I also would suggest Mudge use reporting 101 and just ask the guy what's up with that strategy.

Maybe the guy's mentally ill, maybe this guy is a psychologist, maybe he's a MBA who found Jesus and is applying his marketing expertise on a shoestring.

The point is-- why ask us? We ain't him.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 22, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not THAT worried about comet impact and supervolcanos. My worklife is about risk management, but god do the media pushes the armageddon scenarios or not? Geez.

I take the "sweet body of a beautiful man" at face value though.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 22, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

CqP -- the dog ate our (not so) baby Panda? And the evidence is everywhere? Ewwwwwwww.

Anybody who wasn't boodling during the show see SYTYCD? It was incredibly good tonight, and very moving in some of the dances. One of them had even the judges in tears. I do like this show, most of the time. I can't imagine who will be kicked off tomorrow. Getting tough, because they're all so tremendous.

Gonna go get into bed with a book. Still slogging (happily) through the Mitford letters. So many books, so little time.

Cya tomorrow.....

Posted by: -ftb- | July 22, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

ftb, funny! Just a butter stick that did duty for four ears of corn that began the day on the Eastern Shore. Corn for dinner. Sweet corn. Better that S3X, that stuff! Don't believe me? Garrison Keilor agrees.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 22, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

This seems appropriate - Mozart Symphony 41 - 'Jupiter'

Posted by: dmd3 | July 22, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Some deep thinking there, Joel...between the lines or maybe putts. Trip appears to have been good for you.

Haven't backboodled tonight but did want to let Slyness and Cassandra know that I too have had a very similar on-on-one with the almighty. Similar but also unique and so profound I am peacefully changed forever. Wow.

Talk with ya'll later!

Posted by: Windy3 | July 22, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Ah, that would be one-on-one of course.

Posted by: Windy3 | July 22, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I would take the river walk with the beautifully sweet-bodied man -- but you may take the dahl and rice home with you, thanks anyway.

Posted by: nellie4 | July 22, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Happily! I kinda hoard the beans and rice.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Another Jupiter:

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

So sorry! I meant this:

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Like The Water by Wendell Berry
Like the water
of a deep stream,
love is always too much.
We did not make it.
Though we drink till we burst,
we cannot have it all,
or want it all.
In its abundance
it survives our thirst.

In the evening we come down to the shore
to drink our fill,
and sleep,
while it flows
through the regions of the dark.
It does not hold us,
except we keep returning to its rich waters
thirsty.

We enter,
willing to die,
into the commonwealth of its joy.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 22, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I had just listened to that same video Yoki.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 22, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, CP.

Posted by: Yoki | July 22, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

And this, for all of us, especially since we palavered very hard today and stayed on the porch:

Looking, Walking, Being
by Denise Levertov

"The World is not something to
look at, it is something to be in."
Mark Rudman

I look and look.
Looking's a way of being: one becomes,
sometimes, a pair of eyes walking.
Walking wherever looking takes one.

The eyes
dig and burrow into the world.
They touch
fanfare, howl, madrigal, clamor.
World and the past of it,
not only
visible present, solid and shadow
that looks at one looking.

And language? Rhythms
of echo and interruption?
That's
a way of breathing.

breathing to sustain
looking,
walking and looking,
through the world,
in it.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 22, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Very nice, CqP

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 22, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmph.

I think that while Jove is getting all the press for playing shortstop to the Inner System, I think those outer gas giants - Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - may not be getting their due for doing their parts.

It probably takes a team of plantary fielders to keep the inner planet hit level down to the point where civilizations can arise. Heck, how many of those planets' moons are game-ending hits that were pulled in and tucked into planetary orbit? Again, a good reason for studying the outer planets and comparing notes with the exoplanetary astronomers.

All hail the Sol Giants!

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 23, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Who would have thought people who talk about auras could get scientific proof of a sort?

The world is often stranger than we assume.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 23, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

It is not only stanger than we assume, but stranger than we can assume

Posted by: Yoki | July 23, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

*Imagine*

Posted by: Yoki | July 23, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Wilbrod. Fascinating. Now I wonder if pregnant women glow brighter...

Where is everyone?

I listened to Hildegarde last night and it was featured as background music to my dream. Nothing grandiose. I was in my office, and instead of being under the stairs I had a big window. Instead of being so happy, I was worried that the glare from the window would make my computer monitor too dim.

We're starting with music at the ABC home today. The kids commandeered the other computer and are watching snippets of Neil Diamond in The Jazz Singer on YouTube.

Have a great day, all.

Posted by: abeac1 | July 23, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll just settle for being strange, thank you.

*more-enthusiastic-due-to-an-improving-back-but-still-keeping-ice-packs-handy Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 23, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

For many years I clumped opera and golf together under the category of cultural obligation. That is, I just assumed that when individuals get to a certain socioeconomic level they feel obligated by peer pressure to attend the opera and play golf. I mean, it never really occurred to me that people would actually, you know, enjoy these things. They were just the Right Things to Do.

But I have recently become more exposed to opera, or at least its music. I started out with Mozart's "The Magic Flute" and then moved on to his other operatic works. And, you know, I find them pretty gosh darn good. Especially after you have heard them a few times through.

Of course, I am told by a friend at work that listening to opera is like listening to the sound-track of an erotic film. (Look, he said it, I didn't.) To get the full impact you really need to see the opera performed. (And this is on my list to do before one of those asteroids slips by Jupiter.)

I guess that opera is more than an affectation should have been self-evident. There is no way that such time and effort could have been devoted to opera purely because of societal expectations.

Although that's still my theory on golf.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 23, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse