Boris Yeltsin's Pizza Run

From Susan Page at USA Today we read about the new doorstopper of a book from Taylor Branch about the secret Clinton tapes. You gotta love this scene:

He also relayed how Boris Yeltsin's late-night drinking during a visit to Washington in 1995 nearly created an international incident. The Russian president was staying at Blair House, the government guest quarters. Late at night, Clinton told Branch, Secret Service agents found Yeltsin clad only in his underwear, standing alone on Pennsylvania Avenue and trying to hail a cab. He wanted a pizza, he told them, his words slurring.

The next night, Yeltsin eluded security forces again when he climbed down back stairs to the Blair House basement. A building guard took Yeltsin for a drunken intruder until Russian and U.S. agents arrived on the scene and rescued him.

Now, it's easy to make fun of Yeltsin. But we all know what it's like to really, really, really want a pizza. And who among us can honestly say that he or she has not tried to hail a cab in his or her undergarments? Or even stark naked? Sometimes, it's so hard to get a cab in D.C. that you need a gimmick. And just speaking for the guys, you know that when waving your arm isn't enough you have to go to the next logical option. THIS'LL get their attention, ya dig?

Had they let Yeltsin stay at a proper hotel, like the Hay-Adams just around the corner, he could have easily ordered room service. But you can just picture what it's like at Blair House. Everything's an antique. Everything's historic. You want a pizza, they look at you like you just drooled on yourself. Which maybe you just did, but whatever. It's not like being at home. You can just picture Yeltsin asking for vodka and some guy in a tux bringing him a thimble of the stuff. All the man wanted was a couple of jugs to wash down his pizza.

Obama: "I am concerned that if the direction of the news is all blogosphere, all opinions, with no serious fact-checking, no serious attempts to put stories in context, that what you will end up getting is people shouting at each other across the void but not a lot of mutual understanding."

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 21, 2009; 1:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meanwhile, In Afghanistan...
Next: The Clinton Tapes

Comments

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know." Goucho Marx

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Goucho Marx is the Argentinian cousin of Groucho and the bros.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there are too many elephants down on the Pampas. Maybe Goucho was shooting a pink one.

Posted by: -pj- | September 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I love this Kit. I giggled and giggled.

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

What a magnificent anecdote! I mean, I've heard stories about Boris, but really. Although nothing as colorful as this, I know that when Churchill used to visit Washington DC he was known to be a bit eccentric. His gastric requirements were said to be prodigious and oddly specific. And then there were his afternoon baths.

The interesting thing for me is the profound humanity of world leaders revealed by such stories. We forget, sometimes, that these are actual people with very profound human frailties. Indeed (and this is a profoundly unoriginal insight) I sometimes think that to become a world leader there needs to be something, well, a little eccentric about you. You know, a certain intensity not found in the general population.

If focused successfully this inner fire can yield great things, of course. But there are those side effects.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The great irony is that living right across the street was a guy who would have LOVED to go out with him on a midnight pizza run. I can see Yeltsin and Clinton sitting in a Papa John's somewhere in, say, Largo or Tyson's Corner, splitting a large widowmaker (extra cheese, pre-cooked bacon, pepperoni, onions) and a pitcher of Stroh's (does Papa John's have a liquor license? If not, make it a Lido's.)

Hey, wait a minute. There are secret Clinton tapes????

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I wonder if Yeltsin was actually trying to hail a tank and getting a little frustrated?

Also, if Boris had waited, he could have joined in on one of those early morning WH jogs to McDonalds. Everybody loves Egg McMuffins, don't they? I think it's the Canadian Bacon.

And Joel, I can't believe you went with the "There was a young lady from Exeter," limerick for flagging down cabs.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Ken Starr knows about those tapes.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. After reading that article by Susan Page I wouldn't call the tapes secret as much as privileged. I mean, secret tapes imply, to me, a recorder hidden under the table with a foot activated switch. These tapes refer to interviews that were so far off the record they weren't even in the same time zone.

But back to Boris. I really am surprised that he didn't just ask somebody to get him a pizza. I'm sure he is no stranger to making personal requests.

But then, everyone knows that there are few things more thrilling than hailing a cab in DC late at night.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think you have perhaps hit upon the true reason for "Boris in the Buff", RDP. Having been forewarned of the difficulty in obtaining a D.C. hack in the wee hours, the Yeltster was simply displaying his alabaster Caucasianicity and the fact that he was not carrying any concealed weapons.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

After reading that article, I'm with ya, RD.

I wouldn't call them secret tapes, either -- they're just privilaged interviews.

And sometimes expert International Relations *is* simply avoiding the worst possible thing that could happen.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

You mean the staff at Blair House doesn't know how to order pizza? Or that there's not a kitchen with a chef who doesn't have sense enough to keep a decent pantry and dough in the freezer?

Remind me not to stay there, ever.

I'll bet the Hay-Adams has pizza on the room service menu. Even if they do have to run out to Domino's to get it.

Posted by: slyness | September 21, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great. Now I'm all hungry for pizza.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

RD, I was going to join you, but I had my pizza for the day.

So solly.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 21, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Not to be churlish but instead of the Clinton Tapes, I read the riveting excerpt on the Clinton era purchase of literally tons of refined uranium. Riveting except that the bottom of every column in the dead trees edition did not continue correctly at the top of the following column. At least one line and perhaps more was missing and the context and flow was completely shattered. How much did WaPo save firing all those copy editors?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

That uranium could instead be in some not very nice country.

I'm still not sure what to make of Yeltsin. In Russia today, he seems to be the symbol of a time when the country collapsed.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 21, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

SCC: By 'literally tons' I meant neither 'literally' nor 'tons'. The actual amount was 600 kilograms.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The live-tree edition of the uranium article had no copy-editing problems that I noticed, and I can be pretty persnickety about that sort of thing -- though only on a non-professional level, of course. It's love of the game that motivates me, love of the game.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

At least with Yeltsin, there was no concern that he may be a dry drunk.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 21, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the time Josip Stalin was visiting his old pal Leon Trotsky in Mexico City, and was discovered one night drunkenly impersonating a masked wrestler.

Posted by: miden1 | September 21, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

bc,
Your mental catalog of dirty limericks is positively Asimovian.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"And who among us can honestly say that he or she has not tried to hail a cab in his or her undergarments?"

...I think you have to wear the "Big Yellow Taxi" thong for that task.

They paved Pizza Hut
And put up a parking lot...
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got on
Till it's gone
They paved Pizza Hut
And put up a parking lot

They took all the cheeses
Put em in a cheese museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to smell em
Don't it always seem to go
That you dont know what you've got on
Till it's gone
They paved Pizza Hut
And put up a parking lot

Hey grocer grocer
Put away pepperoni now
Give me spots on my boxers
But leave off the sauces and the cheese
Please!
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got on
Till its gone
They paved Pizza Hut
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away Big Yeltsin
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got on
Till it's gone
They paved Pizza Hut
And put up a parking lot...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't grasp the reason for a pejorative implication of the term "dry drunk" -- russianthistle's use of the term at 3:27 is on the fence, but I know that martooni has used it to belittle former-President Bush and I have seen it used pejoratively on other occasions, by other persons. It seems to me to describe a person who is working with the only effective method he has to combat alcoholism, complete abstinence. Yet whenever I see it used, it appears to have a more insulting implication than "alcoholic" or "drunk" or "lush."

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

This might be helpful, SciTim.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

*Tim, I've always thought of the whole sobriety thing as more of a sliding scale than as some bright red line, and that a dry drunk continues the poor behaviors associated with the lifestyle though he no longer drinks. He's not really working with it, he's just following one narrow rule.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I would hate to have to pay Yeltsin's mini-bar bill. At ten bucks per little airline bottle, he probably spent two years of the Russian GDP that night alone.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Definition of dry drunk: A colloquial term generally used to describe someone who has stopped drinking, but who still demonstrates the same alcoholic behaviors and attitudes.

Here's a more extensive description-

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

i read the article about the uranium "transfer" online. fascinating. i especially liked the part when they realized that the rods were 90 percent or so enriched by the sparking. and handling them with no gloves.

wonder how many post-cold war stories like this are lurking around out there. i realized it's been longer since the cold war died out (contrary to what some "strategic" thinkers in this country believe) than between the end of wwII and my birthday.

no relevance to anything -- just an observation on the passing of the years.

remember buying a copy of the post at the eastern market metro station on my way to work in the morning -- when the headline was the attempted coup against gorbachev. beginning of the end. everyone on the metro was engrossed in the story. this was before the web too. dead tree edition only way to read the paper!

slyness -- not too much gardening going on. we've moved to a townhome with no where to garden. am taking care of the beds at the old house until it sells.

part of me is sad -- part of me feels like i got rid of a ball and chain. it had become too much!! i needed to scale back -- so now i'll have a few pots to tend on the deck and front porch. a little break from the dirt.

tbg -- thanks for explaining the numbered names. am relieved to know i don't have to create different numbers for myself!

nelson

Posted by: shellinelson1 | September 21, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Late to this Kit, which had me, I must say, rollicking in laughter. Very funny, Joel.

In a way, I think that the term "dry drunk" should be pejorative. And it certainly described Bush to a T.

Posted by: -ftb- | September 21, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Tim, first, it isn't pejorative, it is a behavioral pattern. Of course, my mention was meant as a joke. I apologize to you.

Second, if you are around enough people who are trying to get past an addiction, you can see the transition. For those who haven't made it through, they find other ways to "Scratch that Itch."

Posted by: russianthistle | September 21, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that I think I know a couple of dry potheads.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Tim, in my experience with people working a program of recovery from alcohol, the term 'dry drunk' is definitely pejorative.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Do you have to have ever been a wet drunk in order to move onto dry drunk? Most of those symptoms just seem to describe being a 'glassbowl' (as we say it on the family friendly WaPo).

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, do they walk around talking to themselves, muttering "mmmm donuts, donuts, donuts, nachos, nachos, nachos mmmm" in a sort of Gollum voice? That's usually a tip off.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't so much offended as confused. I am somewhat persuaded by the notion that it is a person who is, basically, a mean and stupid drunk without the actual alcohol as an excuse for such ill behavior. My impression, however, is that it also provides a convenient sense of superiority for a "wet drunk" who can tell himself that his greater "honesty" about his condition is a virtue. And thus provide an excuse for continuing to drink. A "dry drunk" may be unpleasant, but dryness probably is the wiser path nonetheless -- unless one is given control of nuclear weapons. I can see how that would be a problem in either case.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Aahhh, yello, a fine question. Probably don't need ever to have been wet. On the other hand, it's (within the context of the 12-step programs, anyway) all considered part of the addictive personality, and considered to be (at least theoretically) changeable with enough properly-directed effort. Obviously, the term only makes sense within that context.

Posted by: bobsewell | September 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Bull's eye, kguy.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Kguys' link gives a very good description of the whole 'dry drunk' thing from the alcoholism point of view, which I think should really be the reference point for the use of the term. Sure there are plenty of glassbowls who act in a similar manner, but we don't know how many of them are that way due to substance abuse and how many are just natural jerks!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

So if dry drunks are glassbowls can we then have:

Transparent glassbowls
Translucent glassbowls and
Opaque glassbowls?

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | September 21, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

About Boris...I propose that perhaps he was *allowed* to act out, show himself publicly (so to speak) for who he was at the time. Really, how hard is it to keep Boris in a room, let alone one at Blair House? Wouldn't someone in the Clinton Administration know exactly who to call to keep him entertained? I wonder if a potential major international event was successfully avoided.

Speaking of addictions, to those of you with money on tonight's game, good luck!

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Tim, there is certainly truth to what you say, and, I don't mean to suggest that dry drunks are all mean and stupid, either. Outside of the lame joke, folks who are addictive and have stopped using a substance, but are still or revert to a pattern of behavior of an addict are inclined to slip back or find another source for emotional modification and satisfaction.

I guess, as badsneakers points out, one could use the phrase to describe someone who is on the way to recovery. I, however, think that a dry drunk is a person who still is not in charge of an addiction to alcohol. One observes patterns of behavior that are out of line of the norm and also for that individual. There is often an inability to function and/or face complex or unusual problems. Often, a lack of focus.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

No Weed, I didn't mean to say that dry drunks were necessarily 'on their way to recovery.' In my experience it's more likely that the dry drunk hasn't yet 'got it' and is in grave danger of drinking again - or is just hanging onto sobriety by his/her fingernails, so to speak. Basically it's 'stinkin thinkin' and very often proceeds a 'slip.' But some people go for years not drinking but not really getting 'better' either.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

SCC; comes before a slip - sorry multitasking isn't my thing today,

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that, yello -- I'll take "Asimovian."

Yanno, I think there's a buddy movie to be made here: One about two secret service agents - one Russian, one American - who spend a very long night trying to keep their respective national leaders from causing International Incidents.

Or at least from being photographed on Penn. Ave. with their pants off.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

As it happens I had a very fine gourmet pizza for lunch this afternoon. Mr. F and I dined late at a new Italian place in our county seat. Stayed fully clothed on the patio, and everywhere else for that matter.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

According to one of the links, dry drunk = grandiosity, judgmentalism, intolerance, impulsivity, and indecisiveness. I guess that explains it. I was never sure what all that meant.

I bet the "underwear" part of the Yeltsin story is exaggerated. I'd bet on pants but a sleeveless white undershirt. Or even white T-shirt.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 21, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

*Everywhere* else? Geez, frosti, ya gotta spark that romance a bit!

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

SciTim-point well taken.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I never realized "stayed fully clothed" could be such a turn-on.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, I head off to the wilds (OK, how wild can it be with WiFi?) of VT and allasudden bc's hailing a Dominos driver in the buff...

Oh, wait...

:-)

yello, I think the dead-tree fiasco with the uranium article was due to a very inexperienced paginator who improperly sized the graphic and forgot to re-read the text. And seriously, anyone can bare-hands handle unirradiated uranium fuel of any enrichment with no fear of excess radiation.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Possibly apropos to the 12-step thread:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I never realized "bare-hands handle unirradiated uranium" could be such a turn-on.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Scottynuke, at least I looked pretty darn good doing it.

Domino's ain't the only one who *delivers,* buster.

Have fun in VT with Nukespouse and the rest of the Nukemishpucha.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Not for the squeamish. Video of a bear in Japan that went on a tourist attacking rampage:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Anecdotal evidence seemed to indicate that Yeltsin was lit most of the time. It's a good thing he considered us friends, otherwise that nighmare scenario could have occurred. Now, in this day and age of spin, I kind of wonder if Bubba was spinning some tales as a way to deflect some attention to his failings by making other world leaders look like they too had feet of clay.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 21, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Feet of clay? *Feet* of clay? Entire legs! Torso! Or maybe everything else was non-clay and it was just the head.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Very first play from scrimmage, Manning tosses an 80-yard TD. Yikes.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Not watching House Mudge?

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Motherhood has been very good to Allison Hannigan.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, dmd, watching House, and monitoring the game on my computer.

I had a hunch who that actress was, and looked it up: I was right. She's Franke Potente, the girl from Bourne Supremacy.

Pretty interesting episode, wouldn't you say? Although I miss 13 and the gang.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes very interesting, but then they cleaned up House and put him in a suit, similar reaction you had to seeing 13 all dolled up last night :-).

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes. And only House can get sent to an insane asylum and then make it with Frank Potente.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed the Afghanistan discussion; I wanted to say, "War: I'm against it." but that's really too negative a statement to be a personal motto; it's just my gut reaction to the "war is hell" idea.

On a more positive note, today is World Peace Day:

So, happy day to y'all, and peace, and out!

Posted by: kbertocci | September 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

That is just not fair, oh my teary eyed.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Branch knows Austin very, very well and shall return there in about six weeks:

Posted by: laloomis | September 21, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I hadn't looked at The Sandbox in a while, and came across a post titled Is there a victory? This is a cogent view of life in Afghanistan from somebody who is there. I'd copy/paste but it's too long, but it's worth a look/see. Third post down:

Posted by: slyness | September 21, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

If you like Franka you need to see her in Run Lola Run.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Linda, I was about to post this and refreshed the page, and there was your book fair note--just a coincidence, but as I recall the Texas book fair always precedes the Miami shindig...

PLEASE NOTE: The Miami Book Fair International has posted this year's author list--it's very long. Here are some highlights, in no particular order:

Jeannette Walls
Iggy Pop
Barbara Kingsolver
Ralph Nader
Al Gore
Andy Borowitz
Tom Hayden
Sanjay Gupta
Sherman Alexie
Margaret Atwood
Bob Graham
Gwen Ifill

I will issue my regular invitation, which in the past has resulted in my having a really good time at the book fair with boodle friends: Come on down, join me at the weekend street fair and Festival of Authors NOVEMBER 13-15, 2009.

Feel free to email me kbertocci"at"hotmail"dot"com for more information and encouragement.

For instance, right now you have great weather in DC (and Seattle, and etc.) and we're sweltering with million percent humidity in south Florida. But in November, your weather will start to get yucky and ours will probably be wonderful. Good time to bail out for a weekend in Miami.

Posted by: kbertocci | September 21, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Now, see, if I was writing the ending of "House," I'd have put Amber and Kal Penn on the bus.

But, hell, I was writing it, Lydia would never have moved to Arizona.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what has dmd choked-up, but I'm in mourning that I missed Curmudgeon's perky period this evening.

Have discharged a work obligation (never as horrible in the doing as in the contemplation of) and got caught up with a friend I haven't spoken to all summer. A good evening, overall.

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Part of the House episode choked me up Yoki.

Mudge would you have written in the smiley face t-shirt - brilliant.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Which scene choked you up, dmd-- the girl when she takes the music box, when she plays the cello, or House's love scene? (Or all 3?)

Yeah, I might have done the T-shirt.

Had I known you were out, Yoki, I'd have never been that perky.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The music box, then the cello, just added to it that I love that piece of music.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

The guy with the music box was the son of the sheriff in "Men in Trees." Don't know his name, but I recognized him right away.

I thought for a while there that Andre Braugher was gonna be a villain, like he is in "Mental."

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 21, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

OK haven't seen "Men in Trees" or "Mental".

But the episode had many twists and turns tonight, one of the things I enjoy about house, rarely predictable.

Congrats to the Globe and Mail, I have often enjoyed their multimedia specials and this one won and Emmy -did not know these awards existed. They are also currently running a series on Behind the Veil (this week), profiling the plight of women in Afganistan.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed House.

here is a red balloon
I think of you and let it go.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 21, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

The reason Andre Braugher was a different character from in Mental is because it's not him in Mental. Some guy named Derek Webster. Sorry, Mudge. I thought so at first, too. Thanks for looking up Franke Potente's name for me -- I knew it was her, and that she'd been in Bourne and Run Lola Run and some other German film I rented one time, but I was stuck thinking Frimme, Jutta, Fricke...

I liked the episode, certainly enjoyed it while it was going on, but it kinda wrapped up too neatly too quickly. J is worried that House will be boring if he's happy. It's all just nitpicking, though -- we'll be watching every week.

Posted by: -bia- | September 21, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

This is one crazy football game.

On paper, the Colts are being torn to shreds by the Fins - time of posession, rushing yards, etc. On the scoreboard, they just went back ahead 27-23.

Wow.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

when I order pizza, it's always as another jack: lambert, bruce, lalane, cramer, etc.. I don't think it ever registers with the person taking the order.

Posted by: -jack- | September 21, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Lemmings.

pizza man.

Posted by: -jack- | September 21, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I've finally put together my review of the U2 show in Chicago. And I threw in a comparison to the Springsteen show some of us saw in May.

Bruce returns to DC and Baltimore this fall and tickets go on sale Friday, but I'll be mad if any boodlers get better tickets than me.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I trust those still awake are watching Obama on Letterman, is so charming.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
Yes that was a heck of a game tonight.A stat says the Manning breaks the most wins mark by a Colts quaterback,surpassing Johnny Unitas.I Like Peyton Manning and think he is a great quarterback.But I personnaly don't recognize any records set by the Irsays colts.

So how does Dave get President Obama on his show?And at least on Letterman,no one is shouting at him.But I did like his comment that "he is a politican and people shout at all politicians"

When I order a pizza, I always like extra sauce,so I always ask for it to be nice and sloppy.

Yello,what you secret for getting such good seats?I am going to try to get a few this Friday.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

kbertocci,
Might former Gov., former Sen. Bob Graham have a book?

Hiaasen does have a new book, a second compendium of his columns.

Thinking of which, I happened to go by the office of Hiaasen's golf course. Their quail logo looks like a California quail. For shame. Don't ever let anyone in Tallahassee see it.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 22, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

People here, like me, don’t know how to make pizza. The crust always comes out bread like - too soft.

Even Pizza Hut lost their crust making skills when they come to this area. I remember Pizza Hut’s crusts in the US were pretty good (or maybe I have forgotten.) Here, it’s bad. I’ve had both thick and thin crust, and they are both bad.

Posted by: rainforest1 | September 22, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

kb, that author list is making me frenvious! Unless there's an employment miracle, though, I will have to depend on others to tell me about Sherman Alexie, Margaret Atwood, Gwen Ifill, Andy Borowitz, et al. Those who can go, should! It's great.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 22, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Rainforest,when I make a pizza at home,I use a pizza stone and the crust usually comes out pretty good.Cause everyone needs a good pizza crust.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 22, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

gwe, I think that's what I lack, a pizza stone.

Posted by: rainforest1 | September 22, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

well here ya go rainforest

so sorry the link is so long

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 22, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks gwe for the link. I’ve never seen pizza stones on sale here but I’ve seen flat iron grills in the store. People buy those grills for making flat bread over gas stoves. I think that could be used as well.

Posted by: rainforest1 | September 22, 2009 3:40 AM | Report abuse

A Post story on better fast food at home brought up the notion of pizza stone:

...although for the next few months, I'm better off with soft crust...

It'll be interesting, tomorrow. Looks like there'll be plenty of stone-throwing in Washington with respect to Afghanistan policy.

The Post has run an opinion piece by Roberto Micheletti, identified as "President of Honduras" just in time for deposed President Manuel Zelaya to show up at the Brazilian Embassy in Tegucigalpa and use it as a bully pulpit to urge Hondurans to oppose Micheletti. This may become the biggest Latin American embassy fracas in years. I bet Micheletti will flee, maybe to Colombia.

Secretary Clinton's statement refers to "President Zelaya and the de facto regime in Honduras".

Meanwhile, this evening, I took in some info on the Marquesas Keys area west of Key West. Vast sea grass beds, some kept neatly mowed by green sea turtles.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 22, 2009 4:16 AM | Report abuse

gwe,
Talk to TBG. She had better seats than me. It's all about TicketB@stard using the internet as a de facto lottery. I usually have two different browsers loaded up with my account about five minutes before the official sale time and just keep hitting refresh.

Lots of Bruce shows still have some seats left, so they aren't instant sell-outs and he has already been through DC already. On the other hand, he almost never plays Baltimore and the Arena is pretty small.

Good luck.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Scalpers already have tickets for $240 to $500. There must have been some sort of presale. My wife got our U2 tickets by being in the fan club. Another racket.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks yello,I already did talk to TBG,but figured I would try every angle I could.......never hurts to ask.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 22, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, no longer Monday! I hope that's a good thing. Looks to be overcast here, but we didn't have any rain overnight. The showers just stayed where they were, so there was flooding south and west of us.

Today is the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Hugo coming through Charlotte. Amazing that it's been that long. It was a rough time, but I was thinking about it and then the privations the folks in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society endured. We had it so very easy in comparison.

I wrote Cassandra a short note yesterday to express our concern at her absence. I hope she'll check in when she gets it.

Posted by: slyness | September 22, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

slyness,
You're just trying to make me feel old. I remember seeing all the downed trees through the Carolinas as I went from Florida to Winston-Salem for a wedding. Time sure does fly.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Dave, Senator Graham does indeed have a book out--it's called _America, the Owners' Manual_ and it's a citizen's guide to political action. A good idea, and he's certainly qualified to write that book.

Seasea, I'm hoping for that employment miracle, for you and me both, as well as for the countless others who find themselves in this unfamiliar place. I have never had any trouble getting a job in the past--but this economic situation is extreme. I'm continuing to work at getting work, and have confidence that eventually something will pan out.

Wishing everybody a good day!

Posted by: kbertocci | September 22, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Both Joel and I missed the cut again.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

kb,
Something will pan out. Just keep up the bike riding in the meantime.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

yello, did you notice the caption under the photo to that MacArthuir link? It says: "This year's winners of $500,000 MacArthur Foundation grants include, from left, Elyn Saks, Timothy Barrett and Mary Tinetti." Trouble is, the photo shows only one person...who is schizophrenic.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article in Foreign Policy today, interview with Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire, on military intervention.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 22, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Toni Colette from 'The United States of Tara' won for best comedy actress, so it all makes sense.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

There were two pictures in the dead trees edition, so I figure this is just a copy editor caption swap. That is if there was a copy editor involved at all.

I corrected three typos on my blog this morning because somehow they are easier to see when I am wide awake. I'm wondering what the WaPo's excuse is.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

'Good morning, Boodle. Happy last day of summer (first partial day of autumn) at 5:18 p.m. EST.

On this day in 1598, actor/playwright Ben Jonson is indicted for manslaughter after killing actor Gabriel Spenser in a duel earlier in the day at Hogsden Fields. When he went to trial, Jonson pleaded guilty but was basically set free under the doctrine of "benefit of clergy," an English law dating back to Beckett's squabble with Henry II over whether secular courts could try clergypersons (they could not) for lesser crimes short of high treason. Jonson's punishment was to be branded on the thumb, and forfeiting his goods and chattels. How many chattels he had I cannot say.

He was a mediocre actor in the Admiral's Men acting company, and worked for Phillip Henslowe at the Rose (see "Shakespeare in Love"). In 1616, the year the Bard died, Jonson received a grant of 100 pounds from the king, leading some to consider him England's very first poet laureate.

This concludes today's "Tiny Moment in Obscure British Lit'r'y Hist'ry."

Carry on.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Joel, be sure to sing "Happy Birthday" to the gang at National Geographic. Today is its 121st anniversary.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

HYMN TO THE BELLY

by: Ben Jonson (1572-1637)

OOM! room! make room for the bouncing Belly,
First father of sauce and deviser of jelly;
Prime master of arts and the giver of wit,
That found out the excellent engine, the spit,
The plough and the flail, the mill and the hopper,
The hutch and the boulter, the furnace and copper,
The oven, the bavin, the mawkin, the peel,
The hearth and the range, the dog and the wheel.
He, he first invented the hogshead and tun,
The gimlet and vice too, and taught 'em to run;
And since, with the funnel and hippocras bag,
He's made of himself that now he cries swag;
Which shows, though the pleasure be but of four inches,
Yet he is a weasel, the gullet that pinches
Of any delight, and not spares from his back
Whatever to make of the belly a sack.
Hail, hail, plump paunch! O the founder of taste,
For fresh meats or powdered, or pickle or paste!
Devourer of broiled, baked, roasted or sod!
And emptier of cups, be they even or odd!
All which have now made thee so wide i' the waist,
As scarce with no pudding thou art to be laced;
But eating and drinking until thou dost nod,
Thou break'st all thy girdles and break'st forth a god.

"Hymn to the Belly" is reprinted from Pleasure Reconciled to Virtue (1618).

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 22, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Previous pome by Ben Jonson is funny; this touching pome is often remembered when Jonson is considered:

ON MY FIRST SON

by: Ben Jonson (1572-1637)

AREWELL, thou child of my right hand, and joy,
My sin was too much hope of thee, loved boy;
Seven years th' wert lent to me, and I thee pay,
Exacted by thy fate, on the just day.
O, I could lose all father now. For why
Will man lament the state he should envy?
To have so soon 'scaped world's and flesh's rage,
And, if no other misery, yet age?
Rest in soft peace, and, asked, say here doth lie
Ben Jonson his best piece of poetry;
For whose sake, henceforth, all his vows be such
As what he loves may never like too much.

"On My First Son" is reprinted from Epigrams (1616).

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

A most noble assist from CqP! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

And one more

THE HOUR-GLASS

O but consider this small dust, here running in the glass,
By atoms moved.
Could you believe that this the body was
Of one that loved?

And in his mistress' flame playing like a fly,
Turned to cinders by her eye?
Yes, and in death as life unblest,
To have't expressed,
Even ashes of lovers find no rest.

Reprinted from Underwoods (1640)

Posted by: Yoki | September 22, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Bill Clinton has a rich fantasy life. He cannot wrap his mind around the fact that his conduct cost Al Gore the White House. But it did.

Posted by: GeneWells | September 22, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse