California Burning

towercam.jpg

This is the view early this morning -- pre-dawn -- from the Towercam at Mt. Wilson, home to the 100-inch Hooker telescope used by Hubble to decode the secrets of the spiral nebulae.

The L.A. Times has lots of coverage of the fires.

Some of the pics from the Times:

48991766.jpg

48982075.jpg

48986668.jpg

Good story in The New Republic on how David Brooks has become the official pet Republican of the White House.

Remind me to steer clear of the nasty place they call the Blogosphere.

Makes one long for the days of the elegant put-down (such as these, in an e-mail that's making the rounds):

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston
Churchill

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 1, 2009; 8:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Kit: The Camaro Saga, Continued
Next: Temporary Newsroom Relocation

Comments

Good morning, everybody!

Great photos, Joel.

As I said a little while ago, I'll take winter and hurricanes over earthquakes and wildfires any day of the week.

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Walter Kerr was married for many years to Jean. Jean wrote Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Here is a Jean Kerr quote:

BEGIN J. Kerr QUOTE:
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being skin deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I followed that link. I need another shower.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Science Tim:
Look for a loose wire to your starter. If it is the case, it is likely to be one of the smaller control wires that go to it, either the relay trigger or the solenoid power if it's a different wire. Sometimes the terminal is loose to those smaller wires. Or sometimes the wire is almost broken right at its connection to the terminal. Of course it could even be a loose main power terminal the "big wire."

Often to evaluate a battery I turn on the headlights and then honk the horn. (need to either be in a garage or shadowed space to see the beams, or at night of course) If the battery or charging is going bad the lights will dim when the horn sounds. Otherwise dimming will be non-observable or close to it.

Now to read the links, and view the satellite weather loop for CA.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Really cool (ironic) time-lapse photography of the Station Fire:

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful pix, Joel, albeit tragic.

Me, I'm feeling a bit solenoid today. Not sure what that magnetic power will bring me . . . . ("solenoid" is such a cool word).

I agree that the more subtle the put-down, the funnier it is, and the more enjoyable it is, even if one is on the receiving end (but only when one is alone and gets to laugh/cry in the memory of it).

Posted by: -ftb- | September 1, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

updated fire map

Pacific radar loop

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. There were many advantages to living in southern California. They were outweighed by the constant possibility of earthquakes and the yearly certainty of fire. Those photos bring back bad memories. I don't miss it at all. i do sympathize with those still there. LAlurker, others in the area, y'all take care. I don't have much sympathy for folks who were told to evacuate and chose not to. I understand their impulse to stay and protect their property, but those people are fools.

for anyone who might have emailed me and expected a reply, or even an acknowledgment, I apologize. I'm still waiting to get my email started on my new computer. my old computer was mind-wiped. I can read email on my iPhone but it has unaccountably decided not to send any out. Ain't technology grand?

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

whoops. This just proves my point. [and please notice the random capitalization, courtesy of this State-issued keyboard. I don't complain because i might wind up with something worse. I'm sure those of you who work with gummint understand.]

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Replacing batteries on my Camry became one of my meager car repair skills. Whenever I thought there was some problem with the alternator or starter, a replacement battery usually did the trick. That meant either taking the old battery out first or making a second trip to the auto parts store for the refund of the core charge.

I also found that the mean life of a battery with a 36 month warranty was 37 months. Those obsolescence engineers know what they are doing.

In charging batteries, really thick good jumper cables help a lot. And I used to keep both cars coupled for a good twenty minutes once the dead one started just for good measure.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Yep, I'll take New England any day. I don't follow Klein or Greenwald, altho' I read the latter now and then. From the comments it seems that Klein may be more in the wrong, but I would prefer some clever retorts rather than whining. There are too many important things to read/worry about instead of caring whether these two guys feel disabused. Maybe we should bring back dueling?

Posted by: badsneakers | September 1, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Webmail, Ivansmom. It's there. If you have your account password, they have your email.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Some other mahvelous Churchill quotes:

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Posted by: Raysmom | September 1, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Irate Woman: Sir, if you were my husband I would poison your morning porridge.

Churchill: And if I were your husband, madam, I'd eat it.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sizable chunks of Florida, especially those with houses in wooded areas, have California-style fire risks. Most such neighborhoods lack water mains, depending instead on wells.

Wells in turn pose all sorts of problems. The Palm Beach Post ran a disturbing story on Saturday:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Attributed widely (but erroneously, I suspect) to Sen. Thomas "The Blind Orator" Gore (Gore Vidal's grandfather):

"He has all the attributes of a dog except for loyalty"

Posted by: bobsewell | September 1, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

My favorite (how could it be anything else?) Winston Churchill: "Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, s0d0my, and the lash."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

WSC, in reply to a grammatical correction:
"this is the kind of pedantry up with I will not put"

WSC, describing another MP: "he is a humble man, with much to be humble about"

Posted by: engelmann | September 1, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Mt. Wilson Observatory cam is still operating. Good.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. According to the lead story on the front page, ya got ya a bunch o' them f0rnicators over there in Virginia. Or used to have, anyways, two decades ago.

Wonder what happened to 'em. They can't ALL be senators now.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Dammit. Now the gummit has hired Tickle Me Elmo to help with the flu campaign. Just when I thought I might finally get my office back.

Elmo, you b@st@rd! I want my old cubby back!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I apologize. I just very territorial.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Stupid puppet.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm stuck over here in Virginia with all those f0rnicators and a terrycloth towel has my cubby.

*sniff*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Goodness, 'mudge. You need closure, you need to move on.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Those Virginia f0rnicators will eventually need a terrycloth towel.

Virginia F0rnicator would make a nice Web handle BTW.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge needs some tickles, obviously...

*faxin' yoki, TBG, dbG, ftb, slyness, Cassandra, mo, et al, some long-range feathers*

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

You, Scotty, are an evil genius.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

That's Soooooooooooooooooper Genius, TYVM. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You are all very cruel people.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The thing that I find amusing about Bob McDonnell and his "f0rnicators" bit, is that the work in question is his master's thesis and he himself refers to it as a "term paper." Of course it was done at Regent U., so the "term paper" reference may be appropriate after all. The other method of deflecting attention from the thesis is to point to it as a product of his distant youth before he was made wise by maturity. Right. The man was 34 years old at the time.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 1, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Regent U.? Well, that sure explains a lot. Maybe everything.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can get some bumper stickers printed? I was thinking that "I'm a f0rnicator and I vote!" has a nice ring to it. Or "They won't stop me from f0rnicating until they pull my cold, dead fingers"... well, maybe not that one.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, you might want to consider being nice to Elmo. Maybe send over some cookies. He does get all the pretty girls, you know. Only a matter of time until he has Evangeline over for a visit.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I know, LiT. Them Canadians are getting into the act all over the place. You guys see this:

Front page box:

"Canada Cares

"Under God | Canadian churches join Kiefer Sutherland to promote health-care reform in the United States. Eh?"

"Jack Bauer's Health-Care Reform
Would Rush Limbaugh support Canadian-style, government-run universal health care, if he knew Jack Bauer thought it was "damn well worth fighting for'? Of if he knew that the man who brought universal health care to Canada was Bauer's (a.k.a. Kiefer Sutherland's) grandfather, Tommy Douglas, a Baptist minister who was voted "The Greatest Canadian" in 2004?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Mt. Wilson still has weird orangeish smoke, but no fires in sight. Still good.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If Dubya can do coke until his fortieth birthday and dismiss it as a youthful indiscretion, McDonnell can clearly use the same excuse for being a misogynist pig.

Gawker has been on this story for days. They've moved on to South Carolina where the Republican lieutenant governor is gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) and the homeschooler that was the state chair of the board of education resigned because she was writing steamy tales of f0rnication in her spare time.

Virginia better step up its game if it wants to compete in this territory.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

ScienceTim: your battery is dead.

Call AAA. When the nice young man starts your car and says "Sir, you need a new battery," he means TODAY.

Posted by: nellie4 | September 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Virginia may be for Lovers, but Maryland is for Crabs.

I doubt VA can document their claim, but I'm pretty sure the CDC can back up MD's.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'd advise against tickling Mudge, no matter how badly you may think he needs it.

You do *not* want to reach into _that_ trashcan.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

and speaking of crabs...

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Elmo is the evil satanic spawn between a demon and a shag carpet. Grover is the One True funny muppet.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The fact that McDonnell attended Regent U probably tells more about him than his term paper does. How this man manages to paint himself as a centrist is an act of prestidigitation worthy of David Blaine.

Posted by: Raysmom | September 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Tickle-me-Elmo should have been arrested for sollicitation ages ago.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Regent U was where the brain trusts at the Torqueberto Dept of Justice was getting some of their finest legal minds.

Just factor that in.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Just pretend my grammar was coherent. Like you always do.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

All these Elmo jokes are cracking me up! You guys are too funny!

And, yes, LA is burning - again. Kinda early this year, usually it doesn't start flaming until October. Looks awful though. I've got friends who live in La Canada, haven't heard from them yet so I suspect they've been evacuated.

Amazing images Joel.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Aloha, Aloha.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Canadian fornicators" returns exactly one hit on Google. And I think I know which Canadian they are talking about.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Alanis Morissette? I've heard about what she does in movie theaters.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Do any of you watch How I Met Your Mother? It's a very funny show. Last night's episode included a list of Canadian s3x acts. Hilarious.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 1, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

menage a poutine?? Quoi??

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

And in the Staggeringly Bad Timing Dept. --

And I quote:

"The closures are the result of [[[long-planned]]] track work, Metro has said." [emphasis mine]

*rolling my eyes*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope I can make you all laugh like you make me laugh today.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

[insert gratuitous Mounties joke here]

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Musk oxen gone wild?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought Levesque was dead, Jumper. Didn't we just discuss this a few days ago?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Mudge -- as for your 2:24 post -- it's a DANG good thing I had swallowed my tea first!

hahahahahha

Posted by: -ftb- | September 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Noted Canadian F0rnicator.

The Usher of the Black Rod is responsible for the Senate's Page program, no surprise there.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, ftb.

Hey, ftb, do you know what a Canadian calls the flannel shirt department of L.L. Bean?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The list they were using on How I Met Your Mother can be found here, on a website the show's writers created. Probably not safe for work.

I have created a tiny URL because the real URL probably won't pass the filter...

Posted by: -TBG- | September 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Victoria's Secret

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

All I know about Levesque is that Les Cowboys Fringants dedicated a song to him...

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Got you, 'mudge. We don't even *have* LL Bean!

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

You can't shop there by Internet? They don't take Canadian pesos?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, where is SonofG when we need him?

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

L.L. Haricot.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Cabelas is the choice in my area. But not for me...they don't make camouflage FMPs.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is that where I'm from, The Red Green Show is a documentary.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

We got a Cabela's though, in Winnipeg. LL Fèves au Lard's too hoity-toity. And they don't have one-piece stanfields with a trap door.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

OK, Ford profits are up 17 percent, there's a report manufacturing is up for the first time in 19 months, the economy appears to be slowly turning around, Wall Street has been on a rally for a month...so what does Wall Street do? Tanks.

Somebody please find a way to convince me the people who work in the financial district in Nyawk shouldn't be on medication and undergoing group therapy three times a week.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, L.L. Haricot made me snort soda out my nose.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought they used Franks in Canada?

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

LiT,
Leopard skin doesn't count?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

But we do have Eddie Bauer, which is a much Canadian sounding shop.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Just thought of a Famous Canadian F0rnicator: Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Back in 1990 PET held backroom discussions (he was retired) with his hatchet man Clyde Wells in Newfounland.
The result:
Chicago Sun-Times, September 8, 1991
"Former Canadian prime minister Pierre
Trudeau, 71, has been named on a birth certificate as the father of a girl born on May 5, a Toronto newspaper reported Friday."

The birth certificate lists the mother of Sarah Elisabeth Coyne as Deborah Coyne, 36, who is constitutional adviser to Newfoundland Premier Clyde Wells"

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

No, I meant FRANKS. You know, you give me a loaf of bread and I promise I won't give you

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

YJ, you can get traditional camo FMPs, just not from Cabela's.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Those would not be franks, they'd be weiners.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

So I guess you might say Trudeau used to like to go out for his evening constitutional.

Pretty interesting piece in Salon by Michael Lind:

"Can Obama give 'em hell before it's too late?

"Why can't Democrats mobilize the public for healthcare reform? Blame the demagogy gap"

It may be spelled Frank, but up there it is pronounced Fronk.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Can't vouch for all of these, but some I have heard with my own ears...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Re TBG's link--

Pictures of Alan Thicke ad nauseum? My god, mind bleach won't work for that.

Where's a cerebellum sander when you need one???

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Youse guys are just reminding me that the 43 back episodes of Degrassi on my DVR aren't going to watch themselves.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Only have a second and I just backboodled, and note I misses a very funny afternoon.

And yes we do have LL Bean - mail order.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Do we?! Sounds pretty new-fangled to me.

To break at least one Canadian stereotype, we need a little hip London, I think. Liz Kelly linked to this on her facebook page, and started a new obsession for me. I've bought the album.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Brag, this one's for you.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The Mt Wilson Solar Tower Cam is showing lots of smoke. A note explains:

"Note: the large amount of new smoke seen is due to backfires set by firefighters. This is the very best thing to do at the moment. Go California firefighters!"

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi Mudge!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Late, late, very late: banned words and phrases 2009:

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Heard on NPR coming home from physical therapy that the conductor Erich Kunzel died today (74). Sad.

My old broken down body is really responding to the physical therapy and I note that my back is feeling much, much better. While doing the exercises, some of my muscles have been abruptly awakened from their Rip van Winkle deep sleep and they are none too happy, I gotta tell ya. But things feel a lot better, for which I am glad. And sore.

And there we have it.

Posted by: -ftb- | September 1, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling there's another round of birthdays due about now. Fess up, people: whose birthday is up next? Did we miss anybody in the last day or two?

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | September 1, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I fell asleep reading that, Jumper.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 1, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

My birthday is Friday, and boy am I feeling old.

I heard from my computer repairman late yesterday. Unbelievably,he said the problem was the hardware; that's the good news. The bad news? That the data is almost certainly lost forever. Sigh.

How old am I? So old I joined the Senior Center last week.

Posted by: mm_donovan | September 1, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"The Mount Wilson webserver has gone down, most likely due to a backfire infiltration of a pull box containing telephone lines that bring us our T1 internet service. The will be no more updates from the Towercam, the last one being upoaded at 13:49:06."

Today's news from Mt. Wilson is encouraging. Backfires, a watering operation getting started. Details at:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

For ivansmom and other with computer woes.

Posted by: bh72 | September 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

good afternoon. had insomnia, so i slept from 5-2 (fortunately did not have to go into work today). i'm glad that things seem to be going well for preserving the mt. wilson observatory. it was looking bleak a couple of days ago. i read yesterday that the structures themselves were built with fires in mind (concrete, steel, etc.). still, the heat would probably damage a lot if the fires go through, which it looked like they would (they had to remove firefighters for awhile because it was too dangerous).

Posted by: LALurker | September 1, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm a day younger than Maggie O'D!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

RD, I can say I have used all but a few of the slang terms, some frequently. The regional expressions were new to me, I noted no Ontario expressions - not surprisingly.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Have y'all seen the new commercial for Miracle Whip? Trying to look all hip and "indie."

Dr G watched it tonight and said, "Creating that commercial... that's like being the ad agency for sh!t."

Posted by: -TBG- | September 1, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

No need for Ontario expressions when you have books and books of jokes about how a little snow paralyzes Toronto.

2 questions for Canuckistanis-
Does Ricker Mercer make only 3 new shows a season?
Is one of the 3 going to be on tonight? My onscreen TV guide description only says "comedy."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 1, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I adore Dr. G

That sort of makes Toronto and DC kissing cousins, doesn't it, frosti? I think Rick M. actually makes full seasons, but his slot is easily pre=empted, and after all, it is still hiatus. Your purveyor of all things Mercer may have only bought a couple/four of the available episodes for rebroadcast.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Yoki-thanks, I get him on CBC from Winnipeg and missed the real season. Just my luck, if I see one or two on first run those are the ones I see in reruns.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Finally, all backboodled up!

frosti, faxing lots of mojo to your BIL.

VL, thank you for sharing that with us. I wish I could really fax you the homemade organic chicken stock I'd like to.

BadSneakers, I can hear the sigh of relief from here. I've had fosters who leave and once they're out the door my *dogz* walk around with "I thought he'd _never_ leave" expressions on their faces. btw, a totally empty house isn't dogproofed enough for a determined dog.

Anybody in Atlanta? I might be there for training in November.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

This afternoon, Mr. T turned in his City-issued pager and cell phone and got an iPhone to replace them. He has spent the entire evening playing with it. Looks to me like he's going to be addicted.

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

They are bringing out the big guns from Oregon to fight the LA fires, er a Big Plane. A 747. This link has a 12 minute video of the 747 making two successive 12,000 gallon drops to create a fire line along a ridge ahead of the fire. The guy flies the 747 like bush pilot.

Posted by: bh72 | September 1, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, frosti, that *always* happens to me. I have seen (because the young ladies asked me to watch when they were in their "phase") the same three episodes of Sex and the City about 20 times. Not one outside those three.

So it goes.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, a different sort of tickle for you.

I back-roaded home from work today via Moreland Road all the way down 63 to the Boulevard (Rt 1).

Gorgeous day, beautiful trees; I thought of you.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Yoki, you may have seen sixty episodes of Sex and the City.

It's just that basically, they make the same three episodes over and over again.

(Bam-bam-a-ZING!)

'Tis bubblegum for the single woman's soul, though.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The LA fire is getting all the press but over the weekend at fire in Alburn, CA by Sacramento burned 60 houses.

Posted by: bh72 | September 1, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Middle of the Pacific, Is there a shortage of shower water in Honolulu? When I lived there everybody just went maki.

Posted by: bh72 | September 1, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

That is a kewl video, bh, I watched the whole thing. I'll bet it requires everything a pilot has to make those runs. Not an assignment for the fainthearted.

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

WOW... A 747 fire tanker... I know someone who'll be velly velly eeeenterested in that! :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Frosti, look for new episodes of Rick Mercer late September. CBC website may have the dates, look under the TV tab.

Now going off in a huff about the nasty remarks about how we handle the snow, :-).

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Always happy to deliberately bring technology to its knees, I was delighted to find that all 4 of these videos will play at once (even though the 1st one on the right is my favorite, played alone)

I've never seen this on television, but I love the end!

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

hey dmd! I didn't make any jokes about Toronto and snow, I just said there are books and books of such jokes. I'll check the web site and get the new season premier on my calendar.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 1, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Deservedly so Frosti - we are the weather wimps of the nation.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

That video is amazing, bh... thanks for posting the link. It's so clear that at first I thought it was a simulation of the plane flying, not the actual plane.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

dbG, good to find you here. Hope you new job is going well, I know it will take you a while to really get into the swing of it. Yes, a big sigh when the dog left but I've been receiving updates from #2 about him. Her dog is a bit more accepting and apparently there are people interested in adopting him. He would be a great dog for the right person. No aggression at all, not fearful and very sweet.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 1, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

dbG... if you find yourself pacing at work, maybe you should just get in your crate and relax.

Sorry... the resemblance between 'Sneaks foster dog and your acclimation to the new job was too much for me.

:-)

Maybe I should go to bed now. G'night Al.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

That firefightin' 747 -- I wonder if they call it Air Flush One.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | September 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -jack- | September 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

TBG, you are one funny lady, LOL!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

I'm very impressed by the firefighting 747s, but hardly surprised. As I understand it, jetliners are far better handling aircraft that their normal use as bewinged intercity bussses would indicate.

I seem to remember stories about Boeing test pilots putting the prototype 707 through series' of aerobatic maneuvers at airshows -- sometimes with passengers on board.

As I understand it, this practice ended when one of the Boeing bigiwigs looked up at a show and saw his company's largest investment upside down as the pilot flew it in a loop over the Host airfield.

The exec was less than amused, and demanded that the practice be stopped. But clearly, the Boeing passenger aircraft are a bit more than the flying cattle cars we think of them as.

Re. Camo - can camo gladiator sandals and war helms be far off? Not to mention asbestos Speedos in RCMP red.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

We just back from the Newseum. They were filming an episode of Dinner Impossible and the impossible part was how delicious the food was. Lobster pot pie TV dinner and Julia Child beef bourginon were our favorites.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

The Canadian S3x Acts website was nearly as funny as the original episode.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

The 707 maneuver that bc referenced:

You are your own for googling camo gladiator sandals.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm at a loss for words on this one

toodles boodle and sweet dreams

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Will these do, bc?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

These heels look pretty high to me:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

And you really don't want to click on this link.

I'm sorry I did. YMMV.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for pity's sake!

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I admit to having a pair of camo boardshorts.

Didn't exactly get the Boo golf shirts

but then again, I got nowhere with golf. A little further with turkey hunting, but not very.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 2, 2009 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

Honestly, wild fire pictures so strong the smell of smoke is coming thru. So glad my oldest came home to Virginia to live. He used to have an apartment on N. Beachwood Dr., just above the Hollywood sign. Has embraced family roots for about 6 years now, loves living in the Harrisonburg rurality.

I'm laughing at mudge and others for their fun with fornicators in the Old Dominion. McDonnell sends cards every single Christmas, the whole fairhaired family is featured. Looks like they are all carved from cream cheese, not a blemish amongst them.... Summary: "featured fairhaired family linked to fornicators' fuss".

fooie!!!

Posted by: VintageLady | September 2, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I'll be voting for Creigh Deeds. I'd prefer to vote for Brian Moran, but he just flat out fell apart in the Democratic Primary, lost his starch, he did.

Posted by: VintageLady | September 2, 2009 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Deviled eggs and fresh peach muffins with coffee is the offering this morning. Green tea, too.

Posted by: VintageLady | September 2, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, TBG. I have escaped the high kill shelter. :-)

Another good night's sleep, a beautiful day!

Sneaks, good news that people are interested in him. Nothing like a short foster!

Posted by: -dbG- | September 2, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

VintageLady, you are spoiling us. Yum, great breakfast!

Good morning, everyone. I hope that California firefighters are making progress in extinguishing the Station fire. Scary that the fire season hasn't even started yet.

The big news here is that the boss' two sons have resigned from the Carolina Panthers organization. One ran the team, the other the stadium. This is not a good start for the season.

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Milbank's headline for the Elmo story is the funniest thing in the paper today:

Miss Piggy Would Have Sent the Wrong Message

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

That IS funny, yello! *L*

*seemingly-dumbstruck-by-this-marvelous-Hump-Day-morning Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

The perfect finale for "Northern Exposure"

Iris Dement "Our Town":

Lyrics: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/dement-iris/our-town-11280.html

Posted by: omnigood | September 2, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Omni! *waving* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Yazoo
La Roux
Yoki

Posted by: omnigood | September 2, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

This guy should have just said that it was the peaceohol talking.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Omni, Yazoo has one of my favourite songs ever! Very musicological of you to see the connection.

Morning Al. Not much motivated for work today; would rather be walking the river path and contemplating Great Things.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Clear chilly morning here. Yesterday I finished staining the deck. Today I start painting the house. I never like the colors the previous owners had used, cream trim with brick red windows and shutters. I am going with tradition, white trim, blue shutters. I would have like green for the shutters but the next door neighbors have it and I don't want to look copycatty.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Same here Yoki. It's a shame to waste this wonderful day in the "Air-Conditioned Nightmare". I'd rather be fishing.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 2, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, everyone.

Deviled eggs, Yum! Thanks, VL, I think I'm going to make some for our long weekend. It's been ages since I've had them.

My son used to play on the same basketball team as McDonnell's sons. I'll be voting for Deeds. In fact, after I get my daughter back to school next week, I'm going to be volunteering for his campaign. I definitely think Deeds needs to ramp it up some. I know things don't really get off the ground before Labor Day, but I think he's been just a little too low key!

Posted by: Kim1 | September 2, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. Just finished watching fmr. Homeland Security Secr. Tom Ridge on the Rachel Maddow Show from last night. Truly enlightening.

You can find it on the msnbc.com site.

Rachel did what she does best which is to, in a very clear, but quiet manner find the areas of agreement and differences between various positions--in this case hers and Ridge's on the politicization of the Iraq war, intel and disagreements about assessments, etc.

I was lucky enough to thank Ridge given the chance in a public setting, for his honest assessment about the Orange Alerts being politically motivated--a statement for which he has in his book and since, if not backed away from, he has amended with much word mincing.

What amazes me and I guess Rachel is that there is a strong tendency amongst most Republican politicians and like thinking voters to remember those times in thinking that all governments and all security people were in agreement about what was happening in Iraq--vis a vis weapons of Mass Distruction and threat levels.

Ridge also conveniently forgets that the White House was listening to think tank types pre-9/11 who were constructing lists of countries in the Middle East--maybe 7--that we should attack AND that the Vice President had started working with Halliburton out of the Pentagon to formulate invasion plans.

I guess it is convenient to remember consensus when it was clearly debatable at the time.

Again, I would recommend taking 30 minutes and watching the segments of the show with Ridge.

(of course, there is yet another Republican scare tactic segment, as well... this time the Dems want to kill women with breast cancer with the Health Care Reform). Any moron with a few remaining brain cells should know that women are the most threatened population group when considering current health policy practices and coverage.)

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

This morning as I was getting ready to come to work, it occurred to me that I haven't been visited by my good ol' Country & Western song-writing muse in quite a while, when lo and behold, who should appear, but that good lady herself. And whilst drivin' ta work she and I had a heart-to-heart, and I persuaded her to hep me come up with an appropriate ditty consistent with our latest Boodle musings. And so I just now sat down and crafted me a tender ballad full of suffering and woe that I hope y'all will like, and it goes

a little sumthin'

like this:

I saw a f0rnicator with a BBQ menu in his hand
walkin’ through the streets of Richmond in the rain.
He was lookin for the place called Leroy’s Ribs, gonna get a big plate of pulled pork

Chorus:
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya

Ya hear him howlin around your political campaign, ya better not let him in.
Lesbian couple got married late last night, f0rnicators of V’ginya again.

Chorus:
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya

He's the reactionary jerk who ran amok in Burke.
Lately he's been overheard in Rosslyn.
You better stay away from him, he'll pray your brains out, Jim.
Huh, I'd like to meet his tailor.

Chorus:
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Aaahoo, f0rnicators of V’ginya

Well, I saw Bob McDonnell talkin’ with Rush Limbaugh, doing the f0rnicators of V’ginya.
I saw Mitch McConnell walkin’ with Sarah Palin, they was doin' the f0rnicators of V’ginya
I saw Bob McDonnell drinkin’ a pina colada at Trader Vic's
And his hair was perfect.

ahhhooooo, f0rnicators of V’ginya
Vote Deeds

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

FWI, I call that tune "F0rnicators of V'ginya." I don't know if that was quite clear or not. But that's its name.

Great breakfast, VL. Muchas gracias.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle!

Methinks Milbank worries too much. Why all this hand wringing about Elmo hand washing being an impotent governmental response to H1N1? Surely the private sector can handle this better than government. Wouldn't any right thinking, freedom loving, 'mericun prefer that the insurance companies and pharma take care of it?

Omni-a recording of Iris singing that song is to be played at the end of my funeral. I want Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man to start.
Particularly like this version

Nursing a migraine this morning and very poor timing too. Wanted an early start for the day since it's going to be a scorcher- 78 maybe 80.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic song, mudge. My one little tweak would be to change 'tailor' to 'chaplain'. It makes the rhyme work better and underscores the moral majority hypocrisy a bit better.

And if only we knew any excitable boys that could put a tune to it.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

SCC-Copland of course, drat that stray e.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Rhyme? We're talking about a Warren Zevon song, here, yello. He don't rhyme half the time hisself. "Tailor" never rhymed with "Mayfair." And our Wilbrod would give Zevon a sound thrashing over his (mis)use of meter.

Besides, McDonnell is a snappy dresser. And I don't wanna meet Pat Robertson, except in Hell.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

mudge,
I see you subcribe to the Weingarten School of Perfect Pitch Poeming as opposed to the Bob Dylan School of Anything Rhymes If You Slur It Enough.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm kinda in the middle on that one.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Grr. Good morning. I had a post almost completely composed and my computer disappeared it. I'm still getting used to the new keyboard which is in theory like the old one. As I type mysterious things happen: I open new tabs or Achenblog windows (eight so far) or the "favorites" bar (twice), posts disappear, the typeface shrinks, random boxes open and offer to help me do things like print or open applications. I type fast and I was under the impression accurately, but I clearly have no idea what my fingers are hitting.

Email is functional again but my old Outlook and Outlook Express are gone: old emails, email folders, address book. I had pulled out a flash drive to save it all in a different form the day the old computer died. Lesson: don't wait. Now I'm asking everyone to re-send me the things I'd only saved in email. Oops. At least, if I can get my iPhone to sync, I should be able to reconstruct most of my address book from it. First I must make sure syncing won't somehow destroy the iPhone address book.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Dylan's high school class is having their 50 year reunion this year, as is Ma Frostbitten's. She doesn't plan on going to hers either.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Anyhoo, thanks to Mudge for that splendid ditty. I'm sure the shouts of Boodle laughter and snatches of song are why my collegues avoid my office.

Thanks also to bh72 for the 747 video. I remember watching the smaller planes dump fire retardant. It must be astonishing to see a 747 lumbering along the treetops.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

NEW KIT!

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it'd be neat if Dylan showed up at his reunion. According to the biography of him I just read (by Howard Sounes; I recommend it highly) he had two significant girlfriends there, one named Echo Hellstrom he's stayed in touch with over the years, and the other Bonnie Beecham, who married Wavy Gravy.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse