Temporary Newsroom Relocation

IMG_5733.JPG

Here's a shot of the temporary housing for Post reporters and editors while the newsroom is rebuilt.

To find my new work space, you go in the main entrance at The Post, across the lobby, up some steps, down a hall, down another hall, through the cafeteria, down a hall, down another hall, up a secret stairwell that looks like it dates to the Etruscan period of the building, through a door, down a hall and into an alcove on the left, at which point you will enter the Fun Dungeon, which we call, of course, the Fungeon.

Through a window not cleaned since the invention of the linotype machine there's a view of a brick wall permanently enveloped in gloom.

But do work spaces really matter? Not, I would argue, when you live the Life of the Mind. As an artist I know that this physical realm, this thing people call "reality," is a vaporous swirl of illusion and artifice, not nearly as substantial as the solid stuff of ideas. When I look at the material world i see a place that is probably going to disappear in just a few billion years when the Sun goes into its death throes. Why get too attached???

[But of course I'll be writing this morning on my porch...]

In local news...

So there's this group, Peaceoholics, which counsels teens against violence and gets millions in city contracts and grants. One employee is now charged with sexual assault in a local high school. Trial ongoing. Jury will decide case. But check out this passage:

"He had good references," [said accused man's boss].

But Harrison also had an extensive criminal history. In 1978, he was convicted of armed robbery in Prince George's County. In 1984, he was convicted of first-degree felony murder in the shooting and beating deaths of two men in the District. Last year, after his release from prison and while on probation, Harrison was arrested and pleaded guilty to cocaine possession.

Moten said that he conducted a criminal background check on his new employee but that Harrison's murder charge was not on the D.C. police criminal background report, which goes back only 10 years.

What does it take to get BAD references these days? "He's a heckuva guy except for the robbery and murder stuff -- you'll love him!" By Moten's own admission, the cocaine possession conviction was on the D.C. background check. Isn't that a red flag? I'm just sayin'.

[more to come...]

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 2, 2009; 8:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: California Burning
Next: Hysterics On the Loose

Comments

At least you don't have to sign for possession of specially-vetted low-outgassing adhesive tape to transport your meager possessions to their new location.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 2, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"My name is yellojkt. I am a peaceoholic. I have been peace-free for 90 days, three hours, and 7 minutes."

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Ask mudge how those temporary office relocations work out.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a Carbucks kinda morning, JA...

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

My name is Kurosawaguy and I love peas. I've always loved peas, ever since I was a little kid. Any kind of peas- in soup, in a casserole, as a side dish, just any kind of peas, and I guess that makes me a... what? Oh, oh, I thought you said "peasoholic." Never mind.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 2, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

About JA's new digs..could be worse...there could be a phone booth (but the snappy car would be cool).

When talking off-the-record, think he gets one of these?

Posted by: LostInThought | September 2, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

My name is yellojkt and I love pizza....

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, except good luck even finding a phone booth these days. Word is that within about 5 years it will be almost impossible to find a public pay phone out side of a major transporation terminal.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 2, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

My name is Wilbrodog, and I am a peesoholic.

I've licked it on grass, on trees, and squirted it on every tree I see. I can't stop thinking about it every time the leash comes out.

Everytime I have a surge of anxiety or excitement upon seeing another dog, I calm myself down by doing pees.

What? This isn't Peesoholic Anonymous? They're outside, meeting under the trees? Oops... gotta go!

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Visualize whirled peas...

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I have always been a tad weird about my work spaces. I have always been most comfortable in environments that possess a certain amount of carefully-organized clutter. Think Gill Grissom’s office on those classic episodes of CSI. Except with fewer fetal pigs and more little wooden boxes and magnetic pendulums.

A friend once said my cubical looks like a Rainforest Café franchise installed in a submarine. I am sure there are deep-seated psychological motivations for all this, which are probably better left unexamined. All I know is that Room 101 for me would be nothing but bare walls.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 2, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

My name is Curmudgeon, and ever since my quad bypass six years ago I've been taking three diuretics a day. So that makes me a ...

A dungeon? You have a dungeon? Where I used to work we were so poor we had to use a broomstick and a broken rake handle to pretend we had bars on our "windows." In fact, we had to paint fake windows on the wall using the liquid from crushed cockroaches for paint.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Damn. Wilbrodog beat me to it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

My name is yellojkt and I love Pisa. I've always loved leaning towers. I love posing for pictures where it looks like I'm holding up a leaning tower...

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

My name is Scottynuke and I love piazzas... All that marble and cobblestone....

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Joel, is the temp workplace one of those spots you can only get to at low tide? I could get used to being marooned like that.

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

In my new office, I'm going to buy a flat-panel TV to hook to a cable that I will run from a colleague's office, where there will be a little camera looking out his window. This is because the mighty Powers That Be decided that it was sadly too late (12 months ago, when the suggestion was made) to install webcams on the new building's exterior so that the 2/3rds of us who will be in windowless interior offices could pretend to have a window. I have already had requests for information on accessing my webcam once I get the picture served to the network (once I learn how to do that) so that others may share my ersatz window.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 2, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

SciTim, I had been working on realtime windows from around the world. We were going to call it Windows 2009, but we got attacked by a swarm of Flying Toasters.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Naturally, Mudge.
You're not a peesoholic
Real ones lack zippers...

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Did it again. I can't type on this thing for sour apples, I tells ye. I am close to using strong language here.

Joel, can I come work in your office? I'll wash the windows and empty the trash cans. Just let me explore in my spare time. I'll find the light and airy top-story aeries which will house the Post's Overlords, and the deep dungeons which house - oh wait. That's you.

The interesting thing about that background check is that his recent drug conviction should have noted his probation status. Wouldn't you think the employer would wonder "Hmmm. Probation for what?" Leading to discovery of the murder conviction. Or he could just have asked the guy. Presumably he'd have said, since he's being honest and turning his life around and all. After all, who better to preach peace to kids than someone who knows violence all too well?

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

On the down side, it could be like Nero preaching religious tolerance.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

SciTim,
Just subscribe to Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish. He does at least one "The View From Your Window" a day. That way you can vicariously look out windows all over the world.

Here's today's:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

W-dog, I have a friend who refers to canine urine marking as pee-mail.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Is this the song Yoki?

Nobody's Diary

Posted by: omnigood | September 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I prefer "tree mail"
Addicts like to conceal truths
By wee euphemisms

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Here in the Federal Government there seems to be a perpetual state of reorganization, which frequently mandates that walls be moved around. The problem I have, outside of the risk of asbestos, is that reorgs can sometimes accomplish nothing but the illusion of progress. When the dust has settled and the paint dried, you still have the same people and the same problems.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Don't speak to me of dank underground subterranean lairs. My cubical may be light and airy, but I still spend endless hours here in the Laboratory of Perpetual Darkness tending the Machines.

Although we did just get a brand new white-board.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"When the dust has settled and the paint dried, you still have the same people and the same problems." AKA rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

RD, but isn't there a "certain sense of accomplishment?"

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The last office I had at my old job was not only windowless, but I had to go around three corners just to see out someone else's window.

I didn't realize what that had done to my psyche until I got this job, where we are in a light-filled, windows-that-open room.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

RD, don't get too excited about the white-board. The future holds an eternal search for a working marker.

Posted by: -bia- | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

nice digs Joel... does it have plumbing? or just the customary hole in the floor...

Posted by: MissToronto | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Catholic F0rnicators have their own prayers now:

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Iris Dement's mom has the same first and middle name as my Mom: Flora Mae.

======= here' a long post

"Waitress":

A little background:
So this guy is going on about his order, being very specific in the details of exactly how he wants it and ends his order with pie. then:

Old Joe:
Nobody makes strawberry chocolate pie the way you do.
Wednesday's my favorite day of the week, 'cause I get to have a slice of it.
I think about it as I'm waking up.
Could solve all the problems with the world, that pie.

Jenna:
You're making too much of it.
It's just a pie.

OJ:
Just a pie? It''s downright expert, a thing of beauty.

How each flavor opens itself, one by one, like a chapter in a book, first the flavor of an exotic spice hits you, just a hint of it. And then you're flooded with chocolate, dark and bittersweet, like an old love affair. And finally, strawberry; the way strawberry was always supposed to taste, but never knew how.

Jenna's Special Strawberry Chocolate Oasis Pie.

====

Dang wish I had a recipe, and I'm not even a sweets person.

But it did inspire this:

Granny Smith's Chocolate Cinnamon Surprise on Melba Toast:

White bread with crust removed. Cut into four squares and lightly butter. Toast on the broiler until top is just starting to turn golden. Turn over and toast some more. Then place really thin slices of Granny Smith apples on it. When apple slices are soft and warm remove from oven and grate some dark chocolate over it. Then sprinkle a tiny pinch of cinnamon on top.

Yep, that's me: A Savory Tart. And I've got dibs on SavoryTart as a Boodle handle.

Posted by: omnigood | September 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The problem with having an east-facing window, though, is all that monitor glare on stunningly gorgeous mornings...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

bia, smart people know that the little ledge at the bottom of a white board is where your colleagues should put their dry black marker when they swap it out for yours.

I always thought that markers didn't come with much ink. I'd get a new one and the next day, my black marker would be dry. I would repeat the process over and over. I just couldn't figure it out ...

... until I marked my markers.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

nuke,
the neat thing about the home office is that our cafeteria serves a very fine Pasta Alfredo dish during all working hours.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Funny and true, weed. Unfortunately I have that problem even for the markers I carry around in my bag. Maybe I just write on the board too much.

Posted by: -bia- | September 2, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I found this clip of Dana Milbank, Joel, and Rachel Manteuffel arriving at work at their new digs this morning:

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe my colleagues are secretly switching out the markers in my bag! Hm, hadn't thought of that one. I'll have to set up a surveillance camera to see if I can catch them.

Posted by: -bia- | September 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Not just home offices, weed! :-)

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

And never get the dry-erase board markers mixed up with the Sharpies.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Windows? The server room where I worked in Portland, Oregon a decade ago had a south-facing window wall. One weekend in April was sunny and outright hot, something like 90 degrees. Very unusual. Of course the building's air conditioning hadn't been turned on. The servers nearly cooked.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

My name is Jumper and I like pease porridge. Some like it hot. I like mine in a pot nine days old.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Somewhat interesting that I'd find this on MSNBC...

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

sd,
I've prayed for sex many, many times, but those weren't the words I was using. Including the phrase 'clothe us' seems to indicate that the celibate clergy is still a little unclear on the concept.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Praying to the patron saint of Miracles, I assume?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, yello. But when a set-up like that comes along, ya just have to jump on it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh Teri Garr. She broke my heart.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

And in the "No, really, ya think?" department:

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Onmi, Yazoo's "Only You." Can't link to Youtube from work, but the "Mute Promo" video is the best of the lot there. Let us say that this song has certain strong emotional associations for me, the merits of which may outweigh those of the song taken strictly as a piece of art. The gentleman in question, however, was and is the epitome of male beauty, grace and generosity, and so art personified.

My name is Yoki and I like pizazz.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

How'd they get 'Mudge to appear in the video, Yoki?

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Praying to Saint Jude, Him of the Desperate Causes?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 2, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Here, Yoki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DOmlfICGw

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

For the past two weeks I've been re-watching Northern Exposure on DVD and every time I do a crossword puzzle I find one or more of the answers was I word I later heard said in the next episode I watched.

In another coincidence: As soon as I get back from a shopping errand (or as they might say in Canada: a shopping message) I plan to watch "Young Frankenstein"

Posted by: omnigood | September 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

You know perfectly well that 'mudge was very very big in the scene, Scotty.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

...and I could really dance in those days. Here I am with the doctor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2nQHPs4aA

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

morning and afternoon, al.

in fire news, the weather is cooperating by getting steadily cooler, so things are looking better. mt. wilson seems to be in the clear.

i hope the swine flu response is adequate. it's a fairly tall order to create, test, and distribute a vaccine within months. a republican administration certainly wouldn't have done better, but whatever goes wrong, i'm sure they'll blame obama.

Posted by: LALurker | September 2, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

very funny video, mudge.

Posted by: LALurker | September 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

TGB... and BLT, too?

That is being served here in 15 minutes.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I see you have finally found bin Ladens mountain fortress. Do the elevators go all the way to the bottom? Where does it connect with the Metro?

Posted by: repudar711 | September 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

repudar711,
everybody knows that bin Laden is living out his life at Longboat Key according to an agreement with the past administration. He plays golf three times a week and has also taken up polo. They made the deal a long time ago. All he has to do is make the occasional video.

Oh, and he is allowed to continue running his many businesses and pursue collecting those overdue payments from the Saudi Government for the construction work that he did.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Kenneth the Page, stretching his craft, flexing his acting chops, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxR8OH-fDQ&feature=channel

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When Joel says the newsroom is being "rebuilt" does it mean cut in half and the other half rented to FedEx Office or the good Col. Sanders?

With the all the lay-offs and retirement packages that were taken the journos either live in luxury or they have to shout across empty halls to talk to each other.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 2, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I am Ms. Manners,
admitted Ps..aholic;
I mind Qs too, help!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | September 2, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

What's bin Laden's handicap? By now he's gotta be only 3 or 4 tops.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hello, friends. Just getting back from the radio ministry, and trying to eat a little food.

JA, horrific looking place, and yes, the cocaine charge should have sent up two flags.

We've had two days of reporting in the daily newspaper about the young man that killed his mother. There weren't any drugs or alcohol involved, and the only record the young man had was traffic violations, with a DWI charge. He had been in and out of the court system for those violations though. People are shaking their heads and wondering just what the problem was that drove this young person to do this horrible act. Law enforcement had to break the door down to get to him, and he had beaten his mother, and cut her. She had come in from cutting the grass.

This kind of thing makes people look at their kids with a new eye. A second thought comes to mind. Little do we know what the future holds.

We're having wonderful weather here, except for the tropical storm sitting out in the Atlantic, the weather is great. I'm doing the busy Wednesday thing without the Bible study here in the complex. We need to find a new location. The Center still closed for repairs that aren't taking place, by the way.

Hope your day is just great.

I am Cassandra and I'm trying to learn and love people.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, weed. In fact, pretty much anything I want. That's the perk of working for very little money. The "free lunch."

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting item I heard on WTOP at lunch today - Gonzales supports Holder's CIA inquiry, as related in an inteview with the Washington Times. Totally at variance with the two Cheneys on the Sunday gab-fests. On that subject, Lynn is getting to be even more irritating than Dick, if that's possible. Just ask George and Sam.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Didn't mean to kill the boodle, although I know that would do it, just thought you might like to know a little bit more. I'll leave now.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 2, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't be touchy, Cassandra. Just a natural hiatus in the conversation.

Say, 'mudge, TBG, isn't it time for an announcement?

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

A 'Mudge announcement?? I KNEW there was one final "Dancing With the Stars" contestant left...

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess I figured Ms. Manners for a pleaseoholic.

Posted by: tomsing | September 2, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I've often complained about the suits around our place, but nobody listens.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 2, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Which would you rather have people say of you:

"Wow, he/she isn't dead yet?"

or

"I thought he/she must have died years ago."

Discuss.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Praiseoholics
Do all for applause--sing, act,
sports, jokes-- and striptease.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Or, of course: "Wow, I didn't realize he/she had already died." But it's harder to have an opinion on this one.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Yoki's coming! And we're having a special Crab Feast IBPH!

Tuesday, September 8 (what time works best?)
Quarterdeck Restaurant
1200 Fort Myer Drive
Arlington, VA 22209
(703) 528-2722

Who can be there? I'll be calling to make reservations, so let us know if you'll be coming. You can email me at boodler [at] mac [dot] com if you'd like to.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Is that good, Yoki!?

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My name is yellojkt and I cannot get enough of crystals or ceramics the create electrical current when mechanical stress is applied. I am a piezoholic...

That is really stretching it. K-guy won this thread hours ago.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Count me in, TBG, and I'll check with NukeSpouse! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Me! Me! Me! I'm comin'! And bringing Mrs. Mudge, too.

(TBG's 2:01 was the announcement Yoki was hinting at.)

For, oh, a year at least, I've been telling Yoki that we'd have to take her out to eat crabs the "proper" way, since she's never done it. For you outlanders, the "proper" way is to find a good crab shack that uses butcher's paper for table clothes, and just piles a bunch of steamed crabs in the middle of the table. Then you have to "pick" them yourself. This general involves the wearing of old clothes, because this is a messy business. Shrapnel flies, and there are crab innards everywehre. It's not for the feint of heart.

So that's what this IBPH is: a roll-up-your-sleeves event, 'cuz it's normal to have drawn butter running down your forearms, and Old Bay seasoning all over the place.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand it. I've been trying to post this simple, innocuous and not very interesting comment:

"A friend noted that I'm a pleasaholic. I used to negotiate pleas in criminal cases; now I review them. It's okay. Without negotiated pleas the criminal justice system would screech to a halt."

In typing this attempt, I've lost the comment three times, opened seven new Internet tabs, opened at least eight helpful windows, and drastically both increased and decreased the font size appearance on my screen. I have no idea how I'm doing this. I suspect the cursor arrow is somehow moving about and doing it on its own. Either my new computer is full of mischief or it is actively malevolent. Or, I suppose, it might just have a warped sense of humor.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to tackle ScienceTim's question but I'm afraid of my keyboard.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

You didn't feed your keyboard after midnight, did you, Ivansmom??

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

IM, are you using a wireless mouse? Could you be getting rogue signals from somebody else's nearby computer? Just a thought.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Today is MO's birthday!

Come on with the hugs!

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like your "control" key is jammed on full time. Or something similar.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 2, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Mo!!! Again with the hugging!!! HB, girlfriend.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, mo!

Ivansmom, are you using a mouse or one of those awful touchpad things? I was always doing inadvertent things with those. With a real mouse, I have better control...of the mouse, at least.

I wish I could be there for the crab feast. I didn't know there was any other way to eat crabs.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 2, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

HBTY
HBTY
HBDM
HBTY
AMM!

Posted by: Raysmom | September 2, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

seasea,
I prefer to eat my crabs pre-shelled, packed into a flattened sphere, seasoned with Old Bay, and broiled. And then served with a side of tartar sauce. That that I haven't eaten them with knife and mallet.

Mo,
Congrats on surviving another complete planetary orbit. May you do it several dozen more times in succession.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday to Mo!!!

I'm using the touchpad. I got really good at it on my previous computer, and actually preferred it to the mouse. I don't think I'm picking up any stray signals, but I'll scout around for all your suggestions.

Except the feeding after midnight. Geez, I'm not completely ignorant!

Hey - so far, no mystery problems with this post. Perhaps just the threat of Boodle intervention has cowed it into submission.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That was *great* TBG!

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

happy birthday, mo!

i am truly frenvious of the pending crabfest.

i-mom, if you aren't using a mouse, i recommend buying one for the laptop. nothing beats being able to right click, so i always get a garden-variety pc mouse, even for my macs.

Posted by: LALurker | September 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

oops. posted my 2:45 before seeing ivansmom's 2:42. at any rate, a mouse may solve these problems if they can't be fixed any other way.

Posted by: LALurker | September 2, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Is the restaurant Metro accessible?

I'm trying to search the WMATA site.

Posted by: Moose13 | September 2, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Almost nothing in Arlington is metro-accessible, except the cemetary, Moose.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

It's about a 12-minute walk from the Courthouse Metro stop, Moose. Maybe one of attendees can pick you up there.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Not touchy, Yoki. That kind of news produces a silence. Behavior like that always has a question mark, even if not spoken out loud. I'm fine.

Happy Birthday, Mo. Hope you have many more.

When I lived in DC, we never missed a chance to have crabs and beer. Once we started, always sending back for more. Enjoy.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 2, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.
Happy Birthday, mo, baby!

My office has the size, shape, ventilation, sound characteristics and smell of a WWII deep-sea diving helmet. Has a window of about the same size, too.

Busy day, but I did manage to chat with Southwester for a few minutes - he asked me to say hello to all of you, and that he'll be back Boodling on a more regular basis soon.

Tuesday night IBPH - sorry, I don't see it happening for me, unfortunately. Dag.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 2, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Crabs? I saw Alton Brown do the most awesome thing with crab legs. He took a rolling pin and laid the legs on a board and starting at the ends, ROLLED the crab meat right out of each leg! I was impressed. Easiest extraction method I've seen.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 2, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

LALurker... you can right click on your Macbook trackpad... hold two finger down on the track pad while you click. I know it sounds funny, but try it. I use my two middle fingers (middle plus ring finger) and click with my thumb.

I think it's even easier with the new trackpads, no?

Also remember you can scroll with those two fingers as well.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Mo!

*HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

Mo!

VHBTY!!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, mo! And may you have many more happy ones!

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I exchanged some e-mails with mo--she says she's coming to the IBPHCF.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least the President is kind enough to avoid a scheduling conflict with the IBPCF...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

SCC: IBPHCF

*SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Late-breaking news: Obama is going to address a joint session of Congress next Wednesday night. Methinks this has been part of his strategy for quite a while. This could get really interesting. (Of course, every Tom, Dick and Harriet Pundit will now write a big piece telling Obama what he should tell Congress. Yawn.)

And there's a report that says the SEC didn't properly vet Bernie Madoff. Ya think? Hard to believe a crackerjack Bush administration watchdog agency could screw up like that. (*choking on my own bile*)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, I've been just 30 seconds too late all day today. *sigh*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice rant about desserts over at Sietsema's Table, Mudge.

Posted by: Raysmom | September 2, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Spot on, Raysmom -- well done 'Mudge!

But the woman complaining about bacon is obviously from another galaxy.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Raysmom.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 2, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

THANKS FOR THE BDAY WISHES EVERYONE!!! it gave me a warm fuzzy cuz i work with all men and they do NOT celebrate birthdays - even tho i mentioned it a brazillion times yest!!!!

fri is my last day at my current job - we got consolidated into an ITIL environment and it just does NOT work for the gubmint and i've been miserable trying to make it work - so i start my new job tues - which, of course will make it a PERF day since i'll be at an IBPHCF, eatin crabs the RIGHT way, and huggin yoki! (and everyone else!)

ivansmom - i know this sounds weird but make sure you don't have any voice recognition software running - i had a user once tell me his computer was possessed b/c it kept typing nonsense w/out him even touching the keyboard - turns out the vr software was on, but his speakers were in the back and it was catching like every other word he was saying or trying to "figure out" what he was saying.

Posted by: mortii | September 2, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

A very happy birthday to Mo and congrats on the new job, sounds like you needed it!!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Mo.. make sure you bring a box of books to the IBPHCF!

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

¡Feliz Cumpleaños a ti, Mo!
¡Felicidades y que cumple muchos años mas!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

YO
MO
HBTY
GO!

Posted by: -ftb- | September 2, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

hey, a mo sighting! i hope you can boodle more from your next job.

glad to hear about obama's upcoming address. it can't hurt, and it will probably help.

Posted by: LALurker | September 2, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll ask Ivansdad to find out, Mo. My last computer was possessed, so I hope this one isn't. No, I'll be fair. The last computer was not possessed. It was corrupt. The Computer Geek (not geeksquad, just generic geek) said it had been corrupted when we installed the newer version of Microsoft Office.

I think maybe there's some feature where the cursor finds itself pointing at an icon or something and automatically starts doing that. I'm going to ask Ivansad if so, because I think if that is it he can make it stop. Of course, how the cursor does that floating. . . well, we're back to possessed again.

I am jealous of the crab IBPH. Remember, we've got a regatta coming up here in early October, something like that. No crab, but excellent steak.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Hello boodle!

Drove a new young employee home this evening and had to address a question I hadn't encountered in years- "What's your favorite food?" Bulgogi on rice, hands down, but I had to think.

Stopped in at the Black Bear drive-in to get take away for dinner and had a chance to eavesdrop on a group of 5 medicare aged women. Talk went from tying up the old party lines as teens to "What do you think about health care?" Wish there'd been a TV camera nearby. First, they all had experience with someone close to them not having health insurance because she couldn't afford it but made too much for Minn Care, then a couple had personal experience with pre-existing conditions keeping them from having coverage (when they were younger). The consensus- they want a public option existing along private insurance or enough regulation to beat the insurance companies into submission. But whichever way things go, they want change now. Then the conversation turned to some rather arcane workers comp issues and small town government and church pastors. No one is confusing these women, or scaring them either. Where do they recruit the people for those televised meetings?

HBTM, HBTM, HB DEEEEAAAAARR MO! HBTM!

Off to backboodle, but I've already seen the crabfest announcements. Sniff, pout.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

If only we could find some elk meat for our own personal elkfest, Frostbitten.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

IMom, are you using a new Macbook?
If so, go to trackpad in system preferences where you can adjust tracking, clicking, and scrolling speed to your comfort level.

And find out the unseemly bunch of stuff that happens depending on whether you caress the pad with 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers...

Posted by: DNA_Girl | September 2, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Mo, hope you are having a great day. Did you know you are missing an e in your name :-).

Can't make the BPH, so sad, but I think I will be in Ottawa for a week this month, Shriek, Boko either of you up for a CBPH? My schedule is very flexible as I am just tagging along on dmdspouse's business trip, think I will be touring museums.

I was in my office all day, gorgeous views and they change all the time, of course, is is a little dirty :-). Fabulous day here, clear skies and mid seventies.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 2, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

You know, I’ve never painted the outside of a house before, except for doors. It is hard and a bit dangerous, spiders and bees galore. I am looking forward to getting to the front of the house, which I can do with a step ladder, the yard slopes so that the back of the house is two stories high. Don’t worry, I’m not painting that part, either “S” or one of the SILs will get that job. I like the detail work cutting in around windows and such. It looks better already!

Sad we can’t make the big crab fest. Sounds a lot like how we eat lobster - hands slippery with butter and in our not very good clothes.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Psssst, Sneaks...

Lobster's easier!!! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Really Scotty, I didn't know that. What makes the crabs so difficult?

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Here Sneaks... this'll show you...

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh fer the luvva Pete...

Curt Schilling thinks he can run for Kennedy's seat... *RME*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Howdy again. I'm using a new Dell with Ouch Vista Ouch. The track pad has left and right click buttons.

Here's a Public Service Announcement. The book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" is exceedingly good. Very good. Boffo. This, despite having what must be among the worst titles ever. Two people I respect recommended this book so I bought it for my birthday. I'm not only glad, I'm glad enough to share. It is worth reading.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Would that make you a Peelsaholic?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee. Of course that makes me think of Peel. My grasp of British history after about 1620, I'm sorry to say, has grown dim indeed. So I'm thinking of British novels, mostly of the frivolous kind, and Lord Peel. A mind is a terrible thing sometimes.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 2, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TBG. It's sorta like getting meat from a tiny lobster. How many crabs do you have to do that to to get enough to eat?

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

A lot. But the beer and pretzels can help fill you up.

It's fun!

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Little did I know how spoiled we were as kids. Bushels of crabs and fresh sweet corn were just another backyard cookout kind of thing, alternating with blackened hot dogs (frostdaddy was way ahead of snooty chefs on the whole blackened trend) and very rare steak. Come to think of it, I think the kitchen stove pretty much gathered dust all summer. For good reason, no one I knew had central AC in Tidewater VA in the mid 60s.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I should note-the frost family motto is:
"It's not burnt till the dogs won't eat it."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Worse, crabs have really tough carpaces, bad sneakers.

I don't like crab much myself, but Wilbrodog could eat them all day long, as long as somebody else cracks them for him.

(I suspect he'd try it without the cracking, but lots of chitin isn't good for the digestion.)

But then, I've only had lobster once and decided it wasn't worth all the hype. I prefer crayfish and shrimp.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 2, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I keep telling 'ya. Show up on a weekend now and then! Have a great time at the crabfest.

Happy birthday, Mo!

In the mouse debate, I'm partial to trackballs.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 2, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Crabs are a great food if you have lots of time and aren't particularly hungry. On a calories consumed per calories expended obtaining them, they are practically a diet food.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

NYT has posted its story on "Where the Wild Things Are", the movie version by Spike Jonze with screenplay by Dave Eggers. New Yorker has a chapter from Eggers.

Perhaps a good accompaniment might be "Where the Wild Things Were" by William Stolzenburg, a book about "life, death, and ecological wreckage in a land of vanishing predators". Stolzenburg lives near Washington.

Also, "The Better to Eat You With: Fear in the Animal World" by Joel Berger. Naive prey get eaten.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 2, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

My mother was born and raised in Annapolis, so crab eatin' is kind of in my blood. I'm looking forward to crackin' crabs with Yoki and the gang on Tuesday.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 2, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

A woman sitting next to us at the Peter, Paul sine Mary Concert recommended that novel to us, Ivansmom. And now I've heard about six word-of-mouth raves. Must be good indeed.

Posted by: Curmudgeon- | September 2, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod-if you've never had lobster fresh from the trap, then you are correct-not worth the hype. If you have and still prefer shrimp, then we will just have to disagree on their relative merits.

crab picking is not that hard if you're only picking enough to eat yourself. Picking to make crab cakes, now that's drudgery.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 2, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

We buy two pound lobsters because otherwise it's a lot of work for not that much meat. The shells on these are quite hard and I rarely get thru a meal without at least one finger puncture. We once had a seven pounder whose claws required a large hammer to open. But the crabs look like fun to eat if you're not starving. Maybe someday...

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Stop! You people are making me hungry, and I had supper already.

I love good crab and lobster, but I've never cracked them. The Elderdottir dated a guy a couple of years ago who took us for crabcakes at Kent Narrows. Now that was fabulous.

I've heard good things about that novel too, Ivansmom. You may inspire me to purchase and read it.

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the e3nd of a PBS episode of "American Masters" on blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo (Spartacus, Exodus, The Brave One, Papillion, Roman Holiday, etc.) and it is really excellent. Actors reading from his letters include Liam neeson, Paul Giamatti, Michael Douglas, Nathan Lane (reading a truly hilarious excerpt from a letter concerning...well...onanism), Joan Allen, and David Straitharn. Don't know if you guys can catch it on the West Coast, but it is being rerun twice more this week, tomorrow, so you can Tivo it or tape it or whatever.

slyness was that restaurant at Kent narrows the Fisherman's Inn? Because that's one of our favorite places, and they have one of the best crab chowders anywhere. Definitely in the top 3.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 2, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Cooked lobster meat then included in a good New England chowder is very good.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 2, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

One of the things I promised myself to do before I die is eat an authentic lobster roll. I've seen them many a times on the food channel and so want to eat one! Can't find one where I live so gotta get myself out to the east coast to have one. Sigh...

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 2, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I suppose having an email address at the Post for reporting typos and other errors would just get a great deal of horrid remarks. BUT right now there is an error on page one in rotating article on Mexican president that looks as tho the Post was swearing.

Presume it is an attempt to put an accent mark on that last "n", but it looks quite impolite.

Posted by: nellie4 | September 2, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

MotP, if you ever get to New England, I will treat you to the best lobster 'roll' (actually served on Portuguese bread) you will ever have at the Chart Room on Cape Cod.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, Mudge, I used to have a business card from the restaurant, I think it was The Narrows, or something like that. There were six of us in the party, and we all had the crab chowder and the crabcakes. We had to watch the waitress carefully to make sure she didn't give anybody the wrong order.

;-)

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

nellie, they must have heard you - it's fixed now (I saw it too when it looked like a cartoon expletive) - no accent, though.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 2, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news - U2 will be on the SNL opener on Sep 26 -

Posted by: seasea1 | September 2, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

mom took me to ray's the steaks for my bday (my first time there) OUTSTANDING!! best steak EVER! and amazing crab bisque! prices are quite reasonable esp compared to morton's or ruths chris. if you haven't gone - YOU MUST GO! NOW! GO RIGHT NOW! ok - not right now, right now - i think they are closed for the day. ;)

maryland crabs!! YUMMY! and that guy on the youtube vid was on crack! that's not how you eat crabs! and if you don't know what Old Bay is... *sigh*
love lobster but not in great quantities - too rich. lobster rolls! bleh! putting mayo on a lobster is an INSULT! shrimp, i could eat every day of my life!

Posted by: mortii | September 2, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

and dmd - if my mo had an e on it then i'd be someone else in the boodle!

mo

Posted by: mortii | September 2, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Mo! *faxing the obligatory bouquet of black roses*

Posted by: -jack- | September 2, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm firmly in the camp that says lobster is tops!

Had a lovely dinner out (Persian food, grilled kabobs and saffron rice), and about to head to bed at a decent hour.

Can't wait to see the DC gang and pick crabs. As 'mudge said, we've been talking about this for a year at least. And it's finally here (almost)! TBG, that video was good preparation for a noob.

See you'all morning-sides.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

...still kind of blue after the events of the weekend. Thanks for all of the good mojo. In keping with that blues thing, this is a great cover of a great song. Lesh is playing his famous 18 knob bass.

Posted by: -jack- | September 2, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick side note, as an MD native: It is quite possible to shell and eat MD-style steamed blue crabs without getting messy. It does take some practice -- been doing it for around 40 years now, though.

I don't hurry and I try not to use the crab mallet to wail away on the legs and claws like a medieval smithy at the anvil.

Crabs and beer and friends -- ah, good times.
I'm sorry I'm going to miss this.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 2, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

this boodle makes me hungry. i'd like to put in my early fax request for some crab next tuesday...

tbg, i was able to reproduce the right clicking the way you described. pretty nifty. i'm so far behind the times that i need a cheat sheet of mac finger moves or something. i'm sure there's one on the internet somewhere. now if i could just stop accidentally increasing and decreasing the font of my browser, i would be very happy.

Posted by: LALurker | September 3, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

BC, m'deah, I'll miss you too. I plan to attend the Arlington crab fest. In all my (5) years in Maryland, I've only had crabs once, and truly, I didn't really enjoy it. The crabs ripped open tiny cracks in my fingers and the Old Bay really stung. But I'll try again.

I won't bore you with my heartaches with Apple and with Comcast except to say that I pervailed over both. It took all of my remaining brain cells, giving me hope that I still have a few more years of cognisence. But, of course, the reality remains: I still have lost all of my email addresses and all of my firefox, skype, facebook etc connections, and skype and facebook and everyone else rejects my passwords so I can't connect to anything. I'm exceedingly annoyed! Like Scarlett O'Hara, I'll won't think about it until tomorrow.

Happy birthday to Mo, Scotty, and all the rest of us Virgos. (Aside to Scotty, you were born aeons after I). Mudge, I have caught up with you in chronology. I sailed on either the Nina, the Pinta, or the Santa Maria, did you?)

Posted by: mm_donovan | September 3, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

SCC: How the hell does one spell "cognoscence" anyway??? And truly, at this hour, do I really care?

Posted by: mm_donovan | September 3, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Sneaks, you're on! I hope to get to NE before too long. Soooo, wanna see that part of the country. Thanks!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 3, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

i'd like to put in an order for a lobster roll, too...

Posted by: LALurker | September 3, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

and in the wtf news department, i offer you this:

Posted by: LALurker | September 3, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I really like the location of your temp office. If I could get free lodging and food, I don’t mind working there for free.

Ivansmom, you PC sounds like it needs to be exorcised. Some holy water and chanting of the priest might help. And since its innards might be made in China, you might want to bring it to a Buddhist/Taoist temple just to cover all sides. The priest/priestess will go through some rituals of burning incense and maybe casting divination blocks. At the end of the ritual you’ll be given a yellow piece of paper with scripts written on it. You will be required to stick this piece of paper on you computer for the duration of one year.

Posted by: rainforest1 | September 3, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Frostbitten, it was fresh takeout from Red Lobster. Make of that what you will.

Actually I just decided it wasn't worth acquiring such an expensive taste so after sampling one bite (after much shell cracking work), I gave the entire lobster to my dad who is a major lobster devotee.

It's not bad, I agree, but I thought freshly caught crayfish was beter. Something about crawdad hunting makes the dish more special that way.

Anyway-- more lobster for you is good news. They're overfished as it is. Consider this refusal to acquire a taste to be my small act of charity to all who love lobster.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 3, 2009 3:40 AM | Report abuse

In New England in season you can get lobster rolls at McDonalds. The year we went to Maine I had lobster a different way each day. I can't remember all they styles but they were all delicious.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Scottynuke!

And good morning to the rest of us.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 3, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

The birthdays never end. HB S'nuke!

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

With a Boodle such as this, how could I fail to have anything BUT a wonderful birthday?? :-))))

Um, Wilbrod? "fresh takeout from Red Lobster" is a null statement... *L* And I'll have to postpone any attempt at a lobster feast until I'm closer to the source. :-)

*knowing-I'll-overindulge-today-but-who-really-cares Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 3, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Lobster Good.

Of course, my favorite marine arthropod is fresh Northern "Boreal" Pink Shrimp. By "fresh" which I mean shrimp caught and consumed without ever being frozen. As a kid this used to be a staple (although a pricey one) of grocery stores in the Pacific Northwest. You could purchase packages of tiny shelled and steamed shrimp all pink and ready for consumption.

Nuthin' else comes close.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 3, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Scotty, and here's to many more happy ones for you!

Morning, all. Has anybody seen Al lately?

Time for a walk. My morning is discombobulated because I had to take Mr. T to work. I'll survive.

Posted by: slyness | September 3, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I got an extra muffin for breakfast...

I am SUCH a wild man today.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 3, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle dear. Happy birthday, Scotty. Cassandra, check in please.

Have a great day, Al.

Posted by: Yoki | September 3, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

And here's an article Sneaks and Maggie will enjoy...

*L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 3, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. HB Scotty!
I tried one of those humongous blue crabs they've got in the pacific North West (Dungeness?) once. I found that it was lots of work for just a little mediocre meat. Snow crab from the cold water of the St-Lawrence Gulf, now you're talking. It's like a miniature Alaska King Crab, the very sweet meat is in the legs mostly. It's a fairly small fishery, snow crab is probably not available widely outside the Eastern seaboard though.
My favourite seafood treat is fresh Nordic Shrimp. Easy to steam, shell and eat and such a treat.
We have another gorgeous day today and there is only more sunny days in the forecast. I hope it will keep. We are heading East to my parents place tomorrow and it would be nice to have this great summer weather out there.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 3, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Did you put a candle in your muffin Scotty? Have a great birthday.

Another beautiful morning here, clear and sunny. Trying hard to find some energy after a long and busy day yesterday. Looking forward to a great Labour Day weekend, friends coming over Saturday night. Crossing fingers that my moonsflowers cooperate and put on a show, last night all three vines in bloom for the first time.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 3, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Happy birthday, Scotty. Following long-standing policy, the Office of the Shop Steward declares you can take off early this afternoon.

Oh, don't look in the refrigerator. Got a little something for you in there. And if a scantily clad girl with some helium balloons shows up at your office, try to act surprised. (All I could afford was one chorus of her song, and the only thing she'd agree to take off at those prices were her sunglasses. Sorry. Maybe something better next year if the economy turns around. It's the thought that counts, right?)

Why am I suffering massive cognitive dissonance over the idea of a McDonald's lobster roll?

And I see the Post is off again on one of its infuriatingly prurient opinion surveys, asking if the NFL would be "better" if it eliminated cheerleaders. It's purely an inflamatory question designed only to solicit page views and outrage; it isn't a serious question. It's like asking if opera would be "better" if they eliminated valet parking.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 3, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, happy happy birthday to you! That story of the legislator buying booze in NH has been all over the news here. Considering that he lives about as far south from NH as you can get here, I tend to believe that he wasn’t just making a liquor run but still, he’s tone deaf to how this looks to the voters here. The tax is 6.25%, so how much does one have to spend before the savings beat the price of gas and time to get to NH unless you live on the border. I mean this is just silly, $6 isn’t that big a deal if you can afford to spend $100 on booze.

Red Lobster, yikes! I don’t believe they are allowed in MA. It is possible to get bad lobster - dry, stringy and tasteless, we had it that way twice in Nova Scotia. I respect lobster too much to even think about ordering it at any type of ‘chain’ food establishment, I won’t say ‘restaurant’ because we’re talking McD’s and such. (Mudge, I’ve told “S” that I don’t think places like that should be allowed to sell lobster, it’s criminal!) MotP, you’d better come soon or I’d better do more research on lobster rolls as the Chart Room is only open in summer. Their lobster is the gold standard by which I judge every other and so far, I’ve not been able to top it. Actually, I’ve more or less given up trying.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Dionne's spot-on with his column today:

Yes, 'Mudge, the thought certainly counts. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 3, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Interesting photo of a White House aide, Matt Flavin, talking to Obama in the WaPo photo rotation box. Look at Obama's face: is this a guy you want to try to BS? A guy you want to piss off? No, I don't think so.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 3, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke, I'm sure you're right, but remember, it's mo' lobster for y'all.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 3, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I took one look and thought the aide was pretty darn cute.

Obama looks to be listening-- in slight annoyance. It's not the steeliest shot of him I've ever seen.

But then, I was busy looking at Matt "Bambi" Flavin.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 3, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, Wilbrod, Wilbrod. Is that all you women ever think about? There's more to a guy than just his hunky appearance, you know. We're not just some sort of sex object for you to stare at and think your wicked thoughts. We want to be taken seriously, you know. We have feelings.

*sniff*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 3, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

How was that? was that OK? Think I pulled it off all right?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 3, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

Another tough 'first week of school' morning here, but I haven't gotten a call yet, so I assume all in the world of grade school has righted itself.

Happy Birthday S'nuke. Hope the coming year brings sunshine and happiness every day.

About the IBPHCF, I can't make it, and I hope a good time is had by all. About crabs...they're really not messy and aren't much work, if you do it properly. Just takes practice (or a childhood in MD). Just don't whack at the thing. You're not Gallagher and it's not a watermelon (hint: the underside of the claw, where it's sort of a white-ish orange-ish blue is where you want to tap. Another hint: even if you're not a beer drinker, get a good one to go with it. It's sort of like sake and sushi...I'm not a big fan of sake, but the taste changes when you're having it with sushi. Same with crabs and beer...they just go together really nicely.)

I get to spend the morning get a few things done around the house, as the afternoon/evening and probably a good portion of the night will be spent on work matters (can someone go through these pages of numbers for me and flag anything that looks suspicious?)

Have a happy day all, especially the birthday boy.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 3, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, you've *got* to be used to being a hottie by now, right? You've been dealing with this for quite some time. You know that when a woman is talking global issues or hadron colliders or even dinner options with you, she's also thinking about your body, right? We can multi-task like that. And both trains of thought actually do involve taking you seriously. You're a bright man, you've mastered the art of letting us all down gently, right?

Posted by: LostInThought | September 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

HB deeeeaaaaaarrrr s'nuke, HBTY!

Oh yeah, Flavin is hot, but the prez still has him beat. Certainly didn't get eye candy shots like that in the last administration. What we need is some time for all the WH types to play basketball- shirts and skins. Reggie Love can be the skins team captain.

Raccoons found their way onto the screened porch last night, through the opening in a screen I haven't fixed because that's how the neighbor cats get in for snacks. Sigh, skunk proofing was easy. I may end up with a raccoon coat yet.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 3, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Mudge... regarding your 8:55 am... you mean Obama was in that picture, too?

Posted by: -TBG- | September 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

*sigh* I rest my case, your honor.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 3, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

SciTim is a very funny fellow, BTW... *raised unibrow* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 3, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: Raysmom | September 3, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday to Scottynuke!!!

A quick glance at the Boodle reveals Mudge, standing Adonis-like and waving his crab and lobster claws like some sort of movie monster octopi gone mad, pursued by hordes of Boodle women waving little hammers and mallets. Okay.

Last night the Boy belatedly discovered the joys of fireworks sparklers. I may have delayed this important developmental milestone but let it not be said I neglected it entirely. Much joy was had by all.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse