The Clinton Tapes

Political junkies will be buzzing about the Lewinsky stuff in Taylor Branch's Clinton book -- and the Clinton-Gore rift, and the president's nasty comment about MoDo (see the David Corn summary). But what impresses me as I skip through this thing on my back porch is how much the president knew about Elvis:

President Clinton greeted me in the Treaty Room with bubbling good cheer. First, like a trophy, he handed me a deluxe Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle on the upcoming twentieth anniversary of Elvis Presley's death. Nine minutes, he glowed. He finished in nine minutes, and it would have been sooner had he not been chuckling in amazement over how much trivia about Elvis was stored in his head.

And his critics say he never accomplished anything! Now we know different.

Throughout the first half or so of the book, Chelsea Clinton keeps popping up, wanting help with her homework. It's clear that the president was a very engaged, dutiful father. But had I been in that position, I'd have probably said, "Sorry, I'm busy ordering airstrikes against the Serbs." Right? I mean, I routinely turn down the opportunity to help with homework on grounds that the ballgame on the tube has playoff implications. Seems to me Clinton had numerous potential slacker-Dad excuses, ("Honey I'd love to help you with your flash cards but I've just been subpoenaed").

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 22, 2009; 7:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boris Yeltsin's Pizza Run
Next: More On "The Clinton Tapes" [Updated]

Comments

"I'd like you to write a 3-paragraph essay on the abuse of subpoena power by special prosecutors and turn it in to your teacher for extra credit. I'll set it up with your teacher. The civics teacher is the cute one, right?"

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Off to funeral services today, unfortunately.

Perhaps Pres. Clinton could cheer me up with a story about Elvis and Hamburger James or Scatter the monkey.

I wonder if Chelsea grew up hearing those stories at bedtime...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 22, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

On topic Flickr set links:

Graceland:

The Clinton Library in Little Rock:

All pictures are completely safe for work. I wanted to pose a re-enactment of Bill and Monica in the replica Oval Office, but they wouldn't let me.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I have only known (or knew that I knew) one of those 781 MacArthur genius grantees. He didn't share any of it -- either the genius or the cash.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm relieved that someone as intelligent as Clinton also suffers from Fibber-McGee Brain Syndrome. You know, where your cranium is so overstuffed with random information that you never know what's going to tumble out.

In my case it tends to be quotes from old movies. Can I remember to wear a tie on the day I am meeting with a senior official? Of course not. But gosh darn it, I can regurgitate vast portions of "Forbidden Planet" like nobody's business.

Of course, I have a theory that an omnivorous intellect has certain advantages. You never know when apparently unrelated pieces of information might trigger a neural connection leading to the invention of cold fusion. (Hey, it could happen.)

And then, trivia can simply be a lot of fun. I have a book on my desk called "Schott's Original Miscellany," which I recommend highly. Because you never know when you might need to interpret Navajo Code Talking (page 105) or find yourself trying to escape from the Hampton Court Maze (page 59.)

True, such information might not help your offspring with homework very often. But it's always prudent to be prepared.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 22, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Ach, I 'mudged myself back there.

Confession. I keep Schott's Miscellany in the bathroom.

Posted by: Yoki | September 22, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Oooh, that sounds like a fun book. Just the thing when you need to distract yourself from the work at hand!

Dunno that I'm up for any more Clinton books, but I'm seriously considering the purchase of Ted Kennedy's memoir. In the meantime, I gotta go pack my lunch and take off for book club, where we will discuss The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Posted by: slyness | September 22, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

You did, Yoki. But I wanted to compliment you on the pome selection anyway.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Big red sauce effort completed--over two days on the burners. Two racks of ribs went into the pot yesterday. Beyond the usual wine, women, and song, good sauce is what makes the life worth living.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I do wish that we would be able to hear the full and unedited tapes from W. What's left will be pretty much dead air with the occasional unmistakable sound of a comic pages being turned--punctuated by the sound of pretzels being consumed.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

A Washington-based fast burger place is spreading rapidly through Florida. Clinton-worthy burgers?

As for Elvis, I'm too young. I recall wondering why anyone would go to an Elvis concert in Charlotte. Women with beehives, it seemed.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 22, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

All ages went to see THE KING perform in Charlotte which was an unbelievable experience according to those who attended . By the way, Bill Clinton's Secret Service name was 'Elvis'. I bet the phrase 'Elvis Has Left The Building' was used more than once.

Posted by: Brian50 | September 22, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I never blamed Gore for Clinton. Usually when I have a beef with a Democrat it's because they are demonstrating to me that they just don't care if the entire world is taken over by one or two corporations who use only third world slave labor and would rather I just die and get out of the way so plutocracy can triumph.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 22, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Dave, if you're talkin' FiveGuys, they started in Virginia. I don't know about Clinton, but they're Obama-worthy for sure. He and Brian Williams did a WH burger run back in May.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 22, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Fibber McGee Brain Syndrome - I like this term! And here I was imagining myself some form of idiot savant all these years.

Posted by: newengland1 | September 22, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if the pizza stone is the cure-all for disappointing crusts although it might be a cure for undercooked crusts. I wonder how the White House makes pizza? I can't find the White House recipe. I found this:

I remember in the era before pizza stones people learned how to make good crisp-crust pizza. There are three keys to this: high oven temperature, making the crust thin, and also three tablespoons of corn meal for every two cups of flour.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

When Five Guys made their first foray into Prince William County they went into a defunct Boston Market in a rather depressing section of Rte. 1. The frostfam fell in love immediately and it seemed the perfect location for a burger that leaves a grease slick on the bag. Here in MN one of the first locations is in an "upscale" strip in one of the most affluent Twin Cities suburbs. The burgers are ok, but the atmosphere is all wrong.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

We were boodling about the Five Guys-Obama connection a while back. The hamburgers are great. Just don't order more than one set of fries per table.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

In the absence of a pizza stone, an overturned cookie sheet works admirably. As a frequent maker of home-made pizza, I have found that the key is not only a hot oven (500 degrees) but to make sure that it pre-heats for a long period of time. Even when the oven beeps that it has reached the chosen temperature, the oven still hasn't been totally heated to the point that it will retain much of that heat after you open the oven door.

Also, I like to use semolina instead of corn meal. It has a similar texture (and is also good for coating your pizza peel and stone), but it doesn't add any "corny" taste to the dough.

I don't know that I can wax nearly as poetically about health care reform, but I can talk all day about making pizza.

Posted by: Awal | September 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Dave the Five Guys fries are outta sight. Best ever. And they give you huge portions, as yello just said. The "small" ($2.59 here) will feed two or three, the large ($4.59 IIRC) four or five.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

500°F you say? I have been going with a wimpy 400°F. I will have to see if my pizza works better at the higher temperature. I have been crisping-up my pizza crust after baking on the stone by sliding it directly onto the oven rack for a few minutes, but I have to be cautious -- leave it too long, and I'll be eating charcoal. It's also entertaining when the corn meal I use to lubricate the pizza from the stone, falls onto the elements of our electric oven. Foof! I'll have to see if the crust comes out better, and needs no additional crisping, at the higher temperature.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Hi, Joel. On Friday, you criticized me for referring to estimates that 30,000 people attended the recent anti-Obama rally, suggesting that was a number "liberals" were pushing and equating it with obviously-false conservative claims of 2 million attendees.

Problem is, the 30,000 figure came from Freedom Works, the conservative organization that helped organize the rally, not liberal ideologues. And you know that, since the Media Matters blog post you linked to made that fact clear in the headline.

I pointed that out on Media Matters' site and in your comments section on Friday, and again in a private email to you yesterday. I have not yet gotten your response.

Here's what you wrote on Friday:

"Rather than using the 70,000 figure to represent a "liberal" point of view, it would have been better and more accurate for Von Drehle to have used the 30,000 figure -- which Media Matters was pushing on Saturday . The point, though, is the the same, and very valid: We live in a time in which it is harder and harder to find a purely objective point of view, even for something like a crowd estimate. (Here's what Jamison wrote Monday: "As Eric noted yesterday, The Post put Saturday's roughly 30,000-person rally on the front page.")"

And here's the Media Matters post you linked to, which makes clear the source of the 30,000 estimate: http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909120013

You owe me, and your readers, a correction.

Jamison Foser

Posted by: JWF1 | September 22, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Jamison, you're getting to be pretty dreary, man. But while you're here, didja watch that Colts game last night?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Are you back again, Foser? We are going to have to start ignoring you like we do the other trolls. Better yet, read the WaPo article today on crowd estimates.

The headline is "Crowd Counts Are a Game Nobody Wins". Take it to heart.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

JWF- Joel "owed" his readers the link where we could read it for ourselves. Let go man.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Confession. I keep Schott's Miscellany in the bathroom.

Posted by: Yoki

****

Now I have to get a copy to keep there, so that when The Lovely Mrs. byoolin asks, "What have you been doing in there for the last twenty minutes?" I can answer, "Navajo Code Talking."

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 22, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Chelsea homework part of this kit reminded me of the evening last semester when I had drifted off into a comfortable slumber, you know, when the dreams begin replacing the conscience and the eyes begin their REM. So there I was in my bed, dreaming that I was, well, in my bed dreaming, and I heard a knock at the door and heard the angelic voice of my teenage daughter, "hey Dad, since you are so good at math,I could use your help. What is the least of 3 consecutive integers who summ is the maximum value not to exceed 120?"

For the rest of the night my dreams were haunted by X's and Y's, not to mention sin, cos, let z=tan(x), logs, nl, e, dx's and dy's. Needless to say, I awoke with the biggest headache of my life, though apparently I had answered the original question correctly.

So a new rule was constructed at the Whacky household: no algebra help after 10 pm. Harsh, I know, but that was a mean thing to do to me at that time of night.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | September 22, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

One of our regulars got into an obsession much like that of JWF1 recently, and surprised everyone. I'm glad it ended.

Thanks for the crowd estimate link, yello.

Tim, it took me a long time to realize many commercial pizza ovens operate at very high temperatures. 700° F. is not unusual.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 22, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Check this out:

Crowd Counts Are a Game Nobody Wins

It's not quite rocket science but it's cool and the price was right.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Front Page alert.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Jameson, I went back and re-read. JA did respond; you're playing just a tad fast and loose with the details on that one. Do you realize that last Friday you attacked JA personally? And that he included that attack? Probably the apology should go the other way. Also, you should know that JA's readers tend to be thinking people. He need not feed them every last detail; he trusts his readers to then go on, look into things a little deeper on their own. But maybe you don't know a lot about that -- an audience of thinking people, I mean.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I looked into some things a little deeper. All of Foser's jobs before Media Matters were with various public relations arms of the Democratic Party. He has never had a journalistic job for an independent news organization so his calls for retractions and corrections and clarifications ring a little hollow. He is a paid partisan political hack and a rather pesky annoying one at that. He should go grind his ax somewhere else.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

I read an obituary in the Post about the death of who I think was a tremendous actor -- Zakes Mokae. He was South African, who worked in a lot of Athol Fugard plays and movies. He was 75 when he died.

I remember him from many of those plays and movies, but what I specifically remember him for is a movie which was not listed in the Associated Press obit -- "A Dry White Season". That movie came out in 1989 and starred Donald Sutherland and Janet Suzman. Zakes Mokae's character was played with such fierceness and such passion. The movie was so disturbing -- I saw it with a friend when it first came out -- that when we left the theater, I didn't know whether to scream or to cry, and I think I did both. If any of you have ever seen that film, you know exactly what I mean. Oh, he will be missed -- definitely by me, if nobody else.

Posted by: -ftb- | September 22, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Were we talking about unemployment nightmares? Mine too, as of this morning.

Posted by: Yoki | September 22, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This story caught my eye. Herein is why we still need journalists and newspapers:

A life well-lived, indeed.

Posted by: slyness | September 22, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

WW,
39?

My son used to come home with ARML questions that I couldn't even understand what they were asking for.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

On-kit, it was a nightmare asking Dad for help with math. First, he'd complain that I didn't know how to use a slide-rule (it's a straight edge that doubles as a weapon to be used on pesky brothers, right?) Then, he'd go on and on that the way I was learning to do it wasn't 'right' even though we both came up with the same answer. I was struggling with the 'easy' way...why make it even harder? And then, for icing on the cake, he'd insist I do it his way and tell Sister MM that the way she was teaching it was 'unnecessarily confusing.' Yeah. Right. Nuns take to that kind of talk. I learned to just ask the stoner student who got straight A's...we'd sit in the woods, she'd take a giant toke, and say...okay...think of it this way.... I got out of there with a B.

Yoki, sorry about the job. Hopefully something will turn up soon.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 22, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,
At least you got one last IBPHCF out of the company before it ended. Buck up, I'm sure lots of other lawyers need wrangling.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Triple-plus ungood word, Yoki.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 22, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yoki! No! I'm so sorry to hear that.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think that Foser has taken his reception here, personally. He is unaware of the fact that Joel doesn't respond to most of us here, but he did to Foser. Foser doesn't get the honor he has received.

I, on the other hand, think that there was a time that groups like Media Matters had a role to play in the world of political discourse. There were stretches of time when reality didn't get in the way of Republican facts that were being bandied about.

Now, I think we have moved on to having a greater problem understanding the complexity of our national problems and, in turn, their solutions.

jkt, my take on Foser is that he is, in fact, making it harder to talk about the substantive issues because he is bogged down with how many people came to a FOX News sponsored event.

Who cares?!!?!?

This week, a couple dozen Americans who happen to be Senators and their staffs are whacking away at a bill to, in some form, address what they perceive to be the problem with health care in America.

One would think that, of all places, there could be a reasonable discussion about removing insurance companies from the equation, not to do it, but just discuss it in the Senate. But, no.

Discussion of crowd size is, again, a distraction. Distractions can come from anywhere.

I want to thank Joel, for put up with our lengthy posts on this topic and I also hope that we can continue to have these interesting discussions.

I learn much from our back and forths on this and so many other issues. It is only from our REAL TOWN HALL type constructive discussions here that we learn what other folks face and how they suggest to continue with their lives based on both our individual and community challenges.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

My dad has a degree in math (gentleman's C that led straight to flight school) so I asked him a trig question once. He started drawing a triangle. I explained that we did all our problems using a unit circle. He shook his head in bafflement and I never bothered him again.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Mr. Moose has only recently woke from a year-and-a-half unemployment nightmare.

Not that I think that will happen to you, Yoki (or any other Boodlers). He is in construction.

Posted by: Moose13 | September 22, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I am terribly sorry to hear that.

Posted by: slyness | September 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

LiT - That's a great story. I sometimes felt a little of this when my son came to me with help on physics. I would be sorely tempted to use calculus to solve the problem, which would be much easier, but I knew the poor boy would suffer for it in the long run.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Yoki!!! I am crushed.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Foser is also a gadfly apparatchik with a niggling point to make and a job to justify. He has taken an inconsequential nitpick and conflated it into some sort of grudge. Expect more random bullying out of him in the future.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Aww Yoki, I'm sorry to hear that. Having been cut in half myself, I sympathize. I know I should be glad I still have a job, even if it's only half of what I had before, but it's still tough. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 22, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

yello I think you have mischaracterized Mr. Foser's comments as bullying. To be true bullying the contest would have to be unequal and that inequality would have to favor Foser. Rather call it hectoring, pestering, or even yapping.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 22, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Great point, kguy. I'm gonna go with 'yipping'.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Aw, Yoki!!!! *faxing getting another good (even great!) job soon*

Oh ... *expletive* (on your behalf)!!!

Posted by: -ftb- | September 22, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, dear friends. I'm all shocky, sick, numb, still. Things will improve.

Posted by: Yoki | September 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, sorry about that news -- you'll bounce back, and higher (with boodle cheers from below).

Posted by: joelache | September 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Awww, Yoki, no. *&^%$#*&^%$#. *sigh*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Yoki!!! Oh my. Hypo allergenic kitty lovin's headed your way.

My "We're Number 37! boodlers for health reform" bumper sticker was waiting for me at the post office this afternoon. Thrilled with this TBG designed item.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had more to offer you than support, Yoki.

Posted by: Raysmom | September 22, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yoki! Damn the storm!

As I recall, Joel was not the author of the story what's-his-name keeps griping about. Did anyone catch it when I implied by an obscure Eiger Sanction reference that Joel was carrying a lot of water for his pal? If not, I'll just omit the symbolism although it seemed clear enough...

Weasel, you are not allowed to pose a math poser without rephrasing it so I can tell exactly what the problem is.

And Moose, I used to do construction. I guess I'd do it again if I had to. Lord, I'm even willing to go back to Texas and drill oil wells. My friend is barely keeping his head above water doing that, though. Working about 40% of the time...

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 22, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,

Here's something to cheer you up:

Other Canuckis are allowed to laugh provided they promise to explain the jokes.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

X + (X+1) + (X+2) = 120

Solve for X

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 22, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

37?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

X=117/3. I was right. Whew. I have a rep to protect.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Ooops. I meant, "What is we're no. 37?"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Yoki-- no! My goodness my. Life is like a bronco sometimes, isn't it?

Keep wranglin'.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 22, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Mudge! You mean you missed the oath of the We're Number 37 Movement? (aka Crazy Cat Lady club and auxiliary). Overcome with the vapours, will have to explain later.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Mudge-our theme song

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Tempting as it is, I think we should stop picking on JWF1 and his concern over "the number." It's just no fun. Having said that, I will try now to have the definitive last word on the subject, rather than following my own advice to just shut up.

Using the excellent phrase of which Mudge recently reminded me, argument over the magnitude of the crowd at the Fox News™ "Totally Spontaneous Rally for Freedom!"™ is a mug's game. The best you can hope for is to be within an order of magnitude (factor of 10) of the actual number -- thus, 70,000 probably is the best number to use, as it certainly wasn't a mere 7,000, and it certainly wasn't a whopping 700,000 (and far from a million). Go with the geometric mean = square root of the product of the two most-extreme-but-barely-credible values. Using numbers cited by liberals or numbers cited by "conservatives" (which was DVD's original point, rather than to fret over which one might be actually accurate), the number in either case equates with "A lot of people. A crowd." That is the whole point. A claim as to the precise size of the crowd is what we science-types call "spurious accuracy." It looks like it's accurate; it smells like it's accurate; it has plenty of digits, suggesting it has been concocted by actual counting or thoughtful calculation; but in fact, it has no better-documented claim to actual accuracy than a wild-ass guess (WAG).

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Definitive last word? What are you, an only child?

Did Not!

Posted by: LostInThought | September 22, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I always thought the answer was "42". ;-)

Posted by: ebtnut | September 22, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Tim, right wing nuts count in base 2. Lefties, in hex.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Tim, if I have told you once, I have told you 3E8 times, don't badger me!

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

It's the Jack Benny algebra question.

Posted by: -pj- | September 22, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

SciTim,
I wish I could balance my check book to the right order of magnitude like that.

ebtnut,
What was the question?

LiT,
Did so.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Glad for Moose, Mr. to be doing better jobwise.

Oh, Yoki, double splat bird tVrd on that.

I am 3/4 salary and struggling but I DO.HAVE.those.FARTHINGS.

May you have doubloons soon.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 22, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I'm so sad to hear your news! My best thoughts to you.

Posted by: -pj- | September 22, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

pj...

always math problems.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 22, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

yoki -- am so sorry! i really hope you can find something very quickly. what a shock for you.

just finished reading the previous boodle re: dry drunks, 12 steps and alcoholics anonymous. have a bit of a stake in this topic -- next week marks my 21st year "anniversary" of sobriety in AA.

the idea behing the steps is that alcoholism is not just a physical condition -- it's a physical, mental and spiritual disease. in my own experience i have found this to be true. most folks in AA will agree that they started drinking fue to feelings of inferiority, not fitting in, painful emotional states. drinking filled a huge hole in our psyches. it enabled escape from ourselves -- and addiction followed.

the 12 steps change the person so it's possible to live life without turning back to the drink -- and starting the addiction cycle all over again.

going though the process of taking responsibility for my actions and behavior (as opposed to blaming everyone and everything else) and seeing myself as "a friend among friends, a worker among workers," (instead of the victim mentality i used to slog around like a 500 lb. weight) has indeed made my life immeasurably richer and more balanced.

i've learned to be a pretty content human being and to intuitively know how to handle life. this in turn makes it unlikely that i'll start drinking when something really bad (or good) happens.

the idea, in this context, of a "dry drunk" is someone who has managed to stop drinking but hasn't changed emotionally. they may "white-knuckle" it through life -- but can remain as angry and miserable as they were when they were drinking.

that's all.

Posted by: shellinelson1 | September 22, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

SCC: shellinelson1 is nelson.

Posted by: shellinelson1 | September 22, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The caption on the Genius Grant picture has been fixed. I wonder if my e-mail to the ombudsman triggered that or if the caption wranglers would have eventually figured it out on their own.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

No, no, frosty, "what is we're no. 37?" is phrased that way because of the rules on Jeopardy-- you have to phrase the answer as a question. I am a devout member of the CCLC auxiliary.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, just got in and saw your news, so very sorry - trusting you received a more than adequate settlement - anything you need just ask.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mudge. I knew I was missing something there.

Mr. F departed for his move back to Tampa this AM. I am not at my best mentally or emotionally right now. We have decided to spend the next couple months figuring out how to get our activist/professional lives more geographically in sync. Winning the lottery would help, so would a genius grant.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 22, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, sorry to hear that.

Yellojkt, BC is not the hot girl that married the bowler. BC at the time was a crazy cat lady living in a neighbourhood with potential. She has aged gracefully, however.

Posted by: engelmann | September 22, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse