Today's Talkers

There's a certain kind of story known in the business as a Talker. A piece that you know is going to make the most-e-mailed and most-commented lists and make its mark on real-world conversation. Here are a few circulating today.

MoDo had a column saying that women aren't as happy as men. It's across the board, cross-cultural, at every age, and it's getting worse. What's that about? I think her friend "Carl" has it about right: Women have all them feelings and whatnot. For men, shallowness is the gift that keeps on giving.

The WSJ has a story on beds designed for men. You've heard of the man cave, now comes the man bed. It seems to me that any bed designed with men in mind should fundamentally be like a couch.

Obviously the big talker this morning is the toilet paper story. The plush paper comes from old-growth trees. The perfect metaphor for our relationship to the planet. (Where's Gene to chat on this when you need him?)

The water-on-moon story, however, didn't really fire me up. The AP story says the moon isn't dry and dull after all. It's not? Unless I'm missing something, the water is not liquid. Liquid water is what we want to find out there, somewhere. Ideally with dolphinoids in it, and so forth.

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 24, 2009; 8:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More On "The Clinton Tapes" [Updated]
Next: Elevators Without Buttons

Comments

Didn't Gene quit to Pur$ue Better Opportunitie$?

Posted by: wiredog | September 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Gene still does one chat monthly and the weekly WaPoMag column, but not his Pulitzer Prize Winning™ long-form articles.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

As another great American space explorer once said of water discovered in astronomical bodies:

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

— Vice President Quayle, 11 August 1989

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought the water-on-the-Moon story was embargoed until today's press conference... somebody leaked.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The big point about the water-on-the-Moon story (see? It is a talker. For me, at least.) is that it makes it much more realistic for us to talk about "living off the land" on the Moon. It means that it's not absolutely necessary to find tiny little limited regions in permanently-shadowed craters where water might, maybe, exist. There's water everywhere, albeit in very tiny amounts. Scientifically, it tells us some things about water in space and the solar system. Beyond "some things", I cannot say, because I have not yet gotten around to reading my copy of the paper. Perhaps I shall know something by tomorrow.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

All due respect to the estimable MoDo & WaStJo, but I submit that we could pick *any* column published by Joel and have something more talk-worthy than the two examples cited.

Man beds? Geez.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The Dowd column was so meh that I didn't even bother doing a post on it. It read like a portion of 'Are Men Necessary?' that got edited out. I think she keeps a drawerful of these non-news pegged stories for when she wants to take a long weekend.

On the other hand, when Joel mentioned the Mother Jones/David Corn excerpt from Taylor Branch book, I immediately hunted down the relevant column for a quickie post and got a *ton* of traffic from people googling "dowd tiger woods". Thanks for the hot tip, Joel.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | September 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The water-on-the-moon story is a Talker especially since it reminds us that despite people landing there forty years ago, there's nobody there moon today, and nobody's likely to be there anytime in the next forty years, either.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

All I have to say is: Dude. They're trees. They grow back.

I draw the line for my environmental concern at the toilet paper holder.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If the paper companies were using spotted owl down to make the toilet paper softer, that wouldn't bother me in the least.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

*Tim, it Depends on the nature of the leak.

I heard that water on the moon story yesterday, and saw it in a couple of online publications last night.

I suppose that finding a misty moist moon might be indicative of vast reservoirs of water locked up somewhere up there. Could be under the surface, or leftover slushball impact remnants evaporating (iceballs might be hitting the moon all the time, for all we know).

Or it could simply be that the moon happens to be too close to Outhouse Earth, and getting a little, er, backsplash/splatter. Clearly, we males are at fault for this.

Maybe we need more old-growth trees to wipe out the problem of poor interplanetary restroom habits.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

All I know is that when I lay down in my man-bed at night, contented in my male simplicity, and I dream of travelling to the moon, my great concern is not what the dewpoint is, but will there be soft toilet paper. More importantly, how does one poo in zero-gravity?

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Well done, LitM!

Posted by: Raysmom | September 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Just hold it until you get to the Moon, then there will be enough gravity to help with whatever you may need to do.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I find Mo Dowd more engaging when she writes about things other than the news. This one was amusing but brought to mind the musings of Freud. Maybe women don't even know what they want.

Posted by: edbyronadams | September 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Lost in the middle, if you read the book "2001: A Space Odyssey" or even see the film, you will see the intrepid Dr. Heywood Floyd pondering that very important question.

An important segue to considering humankind's place in the universe.

*Tim, glad you're always willing to volunteer someone else to Go where no one has Gone before.

Hmm. I wonder if I can write my name in moondust?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Any discussion of the softness of toilet tissue (and it is a surprisingly frequent topic of discussion) reminds me of John Barth's "Sot-Weed Factor" wherein the poet protagonist early on engaged in an extensive inner dialogue on "bum swipes' and went into Rabelaisian detail, eventually settling on the neck of a live goose as the softest tool for task. Personally I think I'll stick with Charmin Ultra.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Don't eat the yellow moondust.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This from Astro(SCI)TIM

...find tiny little limited regions in permanently-shadowed craters...

I read this as religions in shadowed craters...which made me think of Plato's Bat Cave. Plato -- a dead Greek white guy -- had the first bat cave.

I am on kit and off kit at the same time. Cackle of crazy cat-lady laffter....be it known, though, I am afraid of cats but I do adore cat-eye glasses.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I was pretty stoked (Do people still use that word? Did they ever?)about the water on the moon bit until I found out how little of it had been discovered. A baseball diamond for a drink of water? It makes me wonder what practical value this really has given the mass of the machinery needed to harvest this water.

The TP article actually raises what I think is an important point. How valid is it to take into account our own comfort when dealing with environmental issues? Is being a grim stoic to make the Lorax happy really the only ethical position? And from a pragmatic level there certainly must be ethical alternatives to using yesterday's newspaper for Personal Hygeine. (Like journalists aren't in enough of a funk already.)

Perhaps one could just use the good stuff when company comes over or on special occasions. Sort of like we do with fancy silverware. And Scotch.

I agree with Joel that the ideal male bed is a couch. Or, better yet, a recliner which, after a certain age, seems to be where many men end up sleeping anyway.

And the story about female happiness really was disturbing. But here's the thing. Happiness is terribly complex because it can't be measured in its entirety accurately in real time.

I mean, the experience of, say, getting up a bazillion times a night to deal with a colicky baby is not exactly pleasurable. And yet, years later, when that child has matured, the memory of that experience can actually contribute greatly to one's sense of present happiness. You have to perform a type of emotional integration to really assess what events makes people happy or not happy.

And then there is the fundamental problem of just what happiness is. This question has kept philosophers like Aristotle off the street for years.

Indeed, I remember devoting many hours to reading Mortimer Adler on this very question. Of course, as I recall, his concern was at what age could one truly be considered happy. I think we agreed the answer was 21. Although in some states at the time it was just 18.

All of which isn't to say that the issue of female happiness isn't an important one, and certainly one full of interesting contradictions and unexpected insights, it's just that it might not lend itself well to a telephone poll.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The beds remind me of a Puerto Rican invention of a half-century ago: two bedsheets, one loosely woven, the other densely woven, sewn together around the edges. A fan pumps air into the space between. Person sleeping in bed gets a nice breeze (very welcome when air conditioning was an unheard-of luxury).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Just hold it until you get to the moon?

Are we there yet?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

While we invoked Weingarten about the TP issue, he also has firm but bizarre opinions about bed sheets. He claims he sleeps between the top sheet and the blanket, rendering the fitted sheet useless. This requires much more frequent laundering of the blanket/comforter, a burden on his long suffering wife he seems unconcerned with.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

So, someone leaked the water news? Sounds very NASA.

Punctuation gaff from a Canadian source about an American TV news program. Now I'm confused.

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | September 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Anybody local heard anything about a bomb scare down on Massachustetts Ave.?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

RD,
Do I get thoroughly chastised for insensitivity if I bring up the phrase "mug's game"?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The experience of, say, getting up a bazillion times a night to deal with a colicky baby is not exactly pleasurable. And yet, years later, when that child has matured, the memory of that experience resurfaces when one is getting up a bazillion times a night to deal with a colicky prostate.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of guys, while I'm sure everyone here reads Dave's Blog, it doesn't hurt to post this link:

Posted by: wiredog | September 24, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

There's going to be a private funeral service Saturday at the Holy Trinity Church in El Dorado Hills, with burial to be followed at nearby Rescue, California. Annie Le will be laid to rest. This story is on my mind--as is other recent news, since Placerville and South Lake Tahoe are the two largest cities in California's El Dorado (The Gilded One) County.

The newspaper accounts of this young Yale graduate student, who was so brutally murdered and whose remains were stuffed behind the wall of the New Haven lab building where she conducted experiments on mice, say that she was from Placerville, Calif. This is laziness on the part of the press. Annie Le actually came from an unincorporated part of El Dorado County, 16 miles outside of the very small Diamond Springs, south of Placerville. She attended Union Mines High School in Placerville. No doubt Mike Raffety, editor of the Placerville Mountain Democrat and reporter Ken Paglia, who's been covering the story, have it right.

I know Diamond Springs. It was the easier way (rather than go through old Placerville) to connect from Lake Tahoe to Highway 49, to the southern portion of the 49er highway. You can take Missouri Flats Road exit, just down the hill from Placerville off of Highway 50, pass through Diamond Springs, and continue through Plymouth to Sutter Creek and Jackson. It's spectacularly scenic country, this entire area that I mention.

The story of Annie Le of El Dorado County is ugly and tragic. As ugly and tragic as the story of another young girl from El Dorado County, Jaycee Dugard, who was found very recently living, with two daughters, in the backyard of a home in Antioch with the couple who abducted her, Phillip and Nancy Garrido. She was snatched walking to the school bus stop near her home in South Lake Tahoe in 1991, dressed in pink, when she was but 11-years-old. I left the staff of the South Lake Tahoe Tribune in 1981, yet, I recall in 1991, when we liveed in Tracy, that the story of the abduction was huge state news--all the more painful since it took place in the place I had called home.

But unlike Annie Le, who will be laid to rest in Rescue, Jaycee Dugard was rescued a handful of weeks ago from her ordeal. But how can women be happy knowing that young woman just trying to get an education are put in jeopardy just because they are female? Women in jep. These stories hit far too close to my old home. In our neighborhood here in San Antonio, a few folks have already festooned their houses and yards with Halloween decorations. In a strange sense, they remind me that monsters walk among us day in and day out.

Posted by: laloomis | September 24, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

No DLD, the ad was on the Drudge Report and Fox's (American) publicist admitted its guilt.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh good golly kguy.

Remind me to light another votive candle before my shrine to Dr. Kegel....

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 24, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Just the thing for limousine liberals to prove their green credentials. They can recycle all those catalogs that come in the mail to them straight to the bathroom.

Posted by: edbyronadams | September 24, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

That story about moon water is from information compiled from some flybys done by India, so are we supposed to get all pissy and "not invented here" about it? I refuse to do that! I was going to give you a free press pass to my future lunar swimming pool / hotel complex, Joel. Imagine the water polo matches at one sixth G! (or is it 'g'?) Imagine the ladies bouncing off the high board! Even if they won't be QUITE as happy as us...

Anyway, somewhere about a mile deep on the moon, there may be liquid water. Full of anaerobic bacteria happily munching away at various sulfur compounds. If not, well that's just more for OUR anaerobic bacteria.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Like the apocryphal rich Texas oilman who out of vanity had his Cadillac windshield ground to his eyeglasses prescription, I need the TV on my man-bed similarly equipped. I also didn't notice the built-in beer taps and mug chiller.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

A recent study on winter babies, who seem to be out of luck in the race of life, yadda yadda, found that for some reason lower-income and teenage moms simply tend to have babies born in January more often. It might be the prom effect, or something.

They're not sure why, but the very fact that winter babies are more likely to be born to lower-income parents means yeah, they're more likely to be lower income. So all those earlier theories trying to explain why babies in winter get such a hard deal in life (vitamin D, etc.) were based on an erroneous assumption.

Now, about kids making people less happy. My perspective is that unhappy girls and young women are in fact more likely to drop out and have kids, or at least covet them intensely.

People often have kids to help fill voids in their lives, which mean they weren't exactly delirious before.

Of course, there is the stress toll of having challenging kids-- that is documented; alsom the more kids you have, the fatter you are likely to be, which can impact happiness, etc.

But it's false to assume that people who have kids and people who don't have kids are fundamentally alike even before they make the decision.

Likewise, how did they measure happiness in that survey anyway? Sexual satisfaction? Never having the blues even once a month? Number of times a year a person cries?

What about emotional reactivity to positive things and the ability to get past the bad stuff? That kind of resilence is a better indicator of overall ability to be happy, IMO, than whether somebody gets sad once in a while.

Also, men and women do react differently to stress. Questions designed to look at stress might be skewed, as well as any questions looking at the support networks they have (women do tend to cultivate wider support networks.)

I have a book about the "E type"-- the everything woman; women who suppress their emotional needs because they want to do it all, and run themselves down to the ground emotionally. That wouldn't fit the general trend found.

Another factor to consider is that sick people aren't as happy. We have a lot of hormone disruptors out there right now-- dioxins, etc. that could affect women hormonally and thus their moods. Men can be affected, but not as easily.

Women, by their smaller size and complex metabolism, also could be the miner's canary for pollution effects.

So many hypotheses out there to test, including whether the parameters of the study were valid and sex-neutral in their measures of happiness.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

While a college student, I got to watch John Barth read one of his pieces. He had a flip-card arrangement to help the listeners keep track as it went down to inner layers, then back up to the surface. Sort of like diving into an onion.

There were some advantages to being an undergrad at a university where (at the time) student fees were used, seemingly without student input, to fund "free" cultural events. Which, of course, didn't attract many students. So there were sopranos, a prominent harpsichordist, whole prestigious orchestras in the gym, Arthur Rubinstein playing Chopin, etc. Scheduling "Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" during a football game was a bit much. Radios came on during intermission.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 24, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Ed, this isn't a very good venue to be taking gratuitous shots at "limosine liberals" (or any other kind of liberals, for that matter) nor mocking "green" stuff.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Inspired by RD's Lorax reference.

TP is a commodity all people need
just as surely as Thneeds, a real need indeed

But out comes the Lorax, with countenance grimly
looking remarkably like A. Wilfred Brimley

He said “I am the Lorax, I speak for this tree
and all the others you chop chop, to make your TP”

“In nature”, he offered, “we need no TP,
nor a hat, nor a glove, nor a coat, nor a boot.
Just follow the example of the brown Bar-Ba-Loot!”

That’s when it hit me, oh my thinker went Sproing!
I’d save all the trees (and make some sweet coin),

TP needs no trees, oh, I swelled up with pride,
for nothing is softer than Bar-Ba-Loot hide.

Posted by: engelmann | September 24, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

yeah, greenwithenvy's rather thin-skinned.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Just popping in to say...you people are nuts. And I love ya for it.

RD, good silver *and* good scotch? I'm guessing good hand towels and decorative soap too.

Mudge, He's On My Side!

LITM, I didn't realize you were a man. It's not that I thought you were a woman, it's that I didn't think about it. So I guess the thing about our first names is it's sort of like Pat, or Lee, or even Charlie...could be either. Cool again.

Wilbrod, people often have kids to fill a void? Hmmm. Really? What people? And more children means fat? Also, you talk of being sad, or the ability to be happy (which isn't the same as happiness), but remember, you can be not happy and not sad at the same time.

What's for lunch?

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Dave's comment has reminded me of seeing Dave Brubeck in college in a little room at the student union with about 50 other students. It was wonderful. Brubeck, Gene Wright, and Joe Morello are still alive and in their 80's, but of course sax man Paul Desmond is long gone. Desmond's fondness for scotch was legendary. In early 1976 when a physical examination showed lung cancer, he was ironically pleased that his liver was fine. "Pristine, perfect. One of the great livers of our time. Awash in Dewars and full of health." Born Paul Emil Breitenfeld, he always said he changed his name because, "Breitenfeld sounded too Irish."

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The problem with using catalog pages for "important business" (don't think I haven't considered it before!) is that the stiff coated paper won't flush. I suspect that it also doesn't clean very effectively -- except for the Campmor catalog, which is on newsprint. Anyway, you'll have to put those pages into the trash can, which you will need to empty regularly, and which will go to fill up landfills. Probably better to make a direct transfer from the mailbox to the recycling bin. Or cancel delivery of the paper catalog entirely, since all those places now have full-featured commercial websites with a bigger selection than the catalog can display.

As to "limousine liberals": I note that Obama won 52.9% of the popular vote, presumably dominated by liberals and independents -- Republicans who were still at least smart enough to know Sarah Palin is unfit to be President, must have voted for the libertarian candidate, or Lyndon LaRouche, or some other pointless protest vote. Anyway, the richest 20% of Americans hold 92.5% of the net wealth in the country (source: http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html ). The richest 1% hold more than a third of the net wealth (note: demographics as of 2004, prior to the recession). If every one of those "limousine-capable" households were liberal, it still would be a far cry from enough to elect Obama. Therefore, we must conclude that the majority of liberals do not fall into the category of "limousine liberal."

"Limousine liberal" is a cute phrase to falsely delegitimize the political choices of a large voting bloc. While I think that the actual numbers are not memorized by every voter (I know that *I* had to look them up), the general parameters are rather well known. I therefore deduce that edbyronadams must have been speaking sardonically and parodying the attitudes of conservatives who claim to represent the mainstream of American thought. A rational analysis can lead to no other conclusion. And we are nothing, here in the Boodle, if not eminently rational. The rationality of the Kit is outside the range of my analysis, as it is dominated by the statistical fluctuations of a small population of authors.

This has been your Pedantic Demography Moment for the Day™.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

LiT, girls and young women with a history of depression and low-self esteem often want a baby to love and be loved by; that is one factor driving voluntary teenage motherhood, but it persists.

I have quite a few friends with a history of depression who really want kids, so call it a skewed subjective sampling as well as reading up on the sociology.

I'm quite not-sad/not-deliriously happy a lot myself, so I agree.

I think happiness is a difficult variable to measure and very easily biased by being asked about it by strangers. Some people will go "I thought I was happy, but now he just listed all the stuff I don't have, I'm not so sure."

Yanno? I'd like to see this methodology myself.

Yeah, there is an increase in risk per kid for being overweight.

When you think about how people do often eat more if there's more food about, and how much work a large family needs, you can see that the risk will go up per kid, just juggling everything.

Doesn't mean they are less happy than overweight people without kids. I'd bet on the opposite, actually.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Making broad generalizations about women being less happy makes about as much sense as Gerson's claim yesterday that those that marry after age 27 are less happy (nice rant there, by the way Mudge).

As for the manbeds, the ones with all the electronics, lockers, etc. don't hold much charm. But the "cool" bed, for a woman of a certain age, has great appeal.

Posted by: Raysmom | September 24, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

A cheese quesadilla in my case, LiT. With mild salsa, it was really good. How about you?

We made it up the mountain in good time. It's much cooler inside the house than out. The forecast calls for rain. Good thing I emptied the rain gauge. It was full.

Posted by: slyness | September 24, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The biggest risk for obesity in parents is the consequence of not letting food go to waste. Not enough to save for leftovers, too much to just throw it away. "Let me finish that for you, dear." Oy. Those pounds do not melt away easily.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Funny, kguy. CeePeeBoy thought that the pres, when running, was
O'Bama

A grand old sod name, surely.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, Oh. It wasn't clear that you were talking about a subset of young, depressed, low-income women with low self-esteem. I thought you meant all parents.

Slyness, sounds good. I'm still taken to staring in the fridge every couple of minutes, waiting for something to jump out at me.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I saw John Barth when I was in college, too. 1967, IIRC. He read from "Chimera," which I think hadn't come out yet. A cool guy. He was born and raised in Cambridge on Merlin's Eastern Shore, and was teaching lit (no, not you, LiT) at SUNY/Buffalo at the time. Guy's still kicking around, although I don't think he's published much lately. Had a book last year, but I don't think it made a splash. But he sure was "hot" in the 60s and 70s.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Thankee, Rmom.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It's official: Paul Kirk is the new senator from Massachusetts.

Game on.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

About women and happiness, I think that the "second shift" notion might explain the happiness differential between men and women.

Here is a review of THE SECOND SHIFT: Working Parents and the Revolution at Home. By Arlie Hochschild with Anne Machung.

Me, here. EX.HAUS.TED. Happy though, happier than most of my peers. Have a good set point about happiness that is hard wired and supported by a few things about my current family and family background. However, the exhaustion most moms feel these days might interfere with reported feelings of happiness. For example, when I have poison ivy, the itch feel (exhaustion) interferes with the pain feel (happiness). Does this make sense?

And, no offense to boys of the boodle, but still. still. STILL. the moms I know do more of the family heavy lifting regarding children and daily tasks. And, yes, some of the moms wield the sword of honeydos over their chosen princely lords.

Sigh. And, I happen to like the house and homekeeping tasks. Keeping -- such a good verb and noun. But, am worn to a thread-paper with stuffs of the day(s). Little remains of happiness outbursts. Yet, when I take my pulse quietly at night. Yes. Happy enough. Feel lucky about that.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Um, do I look fat when I'm talking about my kids?

Plus, I don't need a manbed so much as a man's night stand - overhead directional reading lights and projection video (adjustable to project on the ceiling and the far wall), clock radio, bookshelves, temperature-adjustable coaster for drinks, swingarm-tray for the laptop, towel rack, etc.

Ya know - a Manstand.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 24, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

That cool bed could be a lifesaver for people with ahiridia and inability to sweat.

It also would be extremely helpful for people with multiple sclerosis and a few other medical conditions, where they can actually overheat in their sleep and not wake up or react appropriately.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The faces of most American women over thirty are relief
maps of petulant and bewildered unhappiness.
F. Scott Fitzgerald

From his letters, I cannot remember the volume or year but this date could be close:
Letter, 5 Oct.

He would have said this before 1940ish because that is the year he died.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

______________________

LiT, Yes indeedy. In fact, one of those non-gender-specific names you mentioned is actually my name, which is eerie but in a cool way.

Raysmom, Thanks ;)

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

WB -- use no. one for that aerated sheet set would be the delicious women of a certain age who awake to find that overnight they sleep in the tropics in July. And, still, the zip code is a Northern one.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, here is what Nick Carroway said in the GGatsby about men in their thirties:

Thirty—the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning brief-case of enthusiasm, thinning hair.

---
I think this is Mad Men territory; my friends are following closely and think I should too.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No offense taken at all, CqP. When yer right yer right.

Did everybody look at that WSJ piece about the man-beds? Here's what struck me: none of them looked especially like a place conducive to "doing the deed," if ya know what I mean. Anybody agree? Disagree? If I happen to be right about this...what does that say?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

You are not going to sucker me into the woman's work tirade again. Nosiree.

But if there are any women out there that appreciate a man that cooks and does the laundry I'd be glad to add your name to the waiting list for if and when I am on the market again.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I suppose it depends on whether the man in question actually has anyone else involved with said deed.

Me, I want no part of such a contrivance.
I suppose I'm old-school that way.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 24, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, my very thought. And, wouldn't a red blooded man think that a bed should be for bedding and I am not talking matching linens.

So, two beds? A romancing bed? A man cave bed?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

kguy,
Brubeck had to wait for the high school in Cody, Wyoming. Something about there being a great guest ranch nearby.

Years later, Dawn Upshaw up close at Reed College's Kaul Hall. I never took proper advantage of the profusion of good acts at the nearby, small Aladdin Theater, which somehow attracted big names. In our corner of Florida, the winter circuit tends toward Steve Lawrence and Engelbert Humperdinck.

I wonder how many ballet companies purportedly from Moscow come to the US to do Nutcracker every December.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 24, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The maroon/ness who will block the intake of my sh1t pump at the bottom of my sh1t tank with wads of glossy magazine paper will be put in charge of the unplugging project. It’s hands-on, or hands-in if you wish, work.

For me like for most septic system operator a good TP is one that dissolves in water to the consistency of blenderized-medusa within the minute.

The only paper mill that still operates profitably in our area is a so-called specialty paper plant. They make tp, tissue and paper towels, three products made with slow-growing boreal forest spruce. With the collapse of the construction business and its demand of softwood lumber I’m quite sure the making of specialty papers could be a green/sustainable business.

The thermo-mechanical paper plant for newspaper has followed the same downward arc as the printed news. It is a shadow of its former self (+3000 employees when we moved in the area in 88, less than 800 now). And thanks to a sleight of hand by the US Congress the one and only kraft paper plant has closed and its owner has filed for bankruptcy.
67 years or so after the first kraft process recovery boiler entered service the US Congress decided it was an alternative source of energy from biomass and gave US producers using the kraft or sulphite processes a refundable tax credit of about $500 per ton of kraft/sulphite paper produced. Kraft paper plants closed everywhere else in the world. It's nice to have a large tax base.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think satin can be thrown over anything, Mudge.

Or a bale of hay, if that be your turn-on.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

John Barth was indeed a hot property in the late 60s. I wonder who's the equivalent today. There must be an equivalent. We haven't left the age of wanting to experience writers live, have we?

Then there's cookbook world. Or worlds. Diana Kennedy, the Mexico maven, presented a big bowl of guacamole.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 24, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the "second shift" argument. This is specifically dealt with in the column Joel linked to. The problem here is that although men are doing a much greater share of domestic chores than they used to, women are still getting less happy. This would suggest that other factors are driving this trend.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

CollegequaParkian: "So, two beds? A romancing bed? A man cave bed?"

A convertible!

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 24, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

RD -- doing more yes. Gals too! I am not fully convinced by the stuff mentioned there.

And, I know that we gals are conditioned and might be slightly hard-wired for more exacting standards on the home front.

Still, we are not there yet, unless the GenY couples are leading the way. Remember, I am a 1960s gal. Tail end of the boomers.

YJ -- boodle is full of exceptions. Start your match add now; I predict you are snapped up fort-wit.

And, RD -- I am trying to hold the contradictions of happiness and exhaustion at the same time. Happy and so tired that a coffin satin bed looks good.

I am so-on kit today, I should back.away.quickly.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Sears catalog is a thing of the past, I'd nominate all those superfluous phone books that seem to show up unbidden for bum swipe duty. No shiny pages, or at least very few.

And if you're ever in Nova Scotia-

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Hummmm, none of the beds had long-gun scabbards or handgun holsters. These manufacturers gave up on the drug dealer and rural markets or they think they can't afford nice beds?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

mudge,

That is what kitchen counters, dining room tables, bearskin rugs, and marble staircases are for.

We are talking about where to throw you dirty laundry, right?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shrieking_denizen

Did you miss the safe bed with the safe under the pillow?

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 24, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Here you are, CqP:

"The faces of most American women over thirty are relief maps of petulant and bewildered unhappiness."

(F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940), U.S. author. letter, later dated Oct. 5, 1940, to his daughter Frances Scott Fitzgerald. The Crack-Up, ed. Edmund Wilson (1945).)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

We are talking about where to throw you dirty laundry, right?

Posted by: yellojkt

That, and where you rest your religious tomes.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Big news from the world of sports!

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, Mudge, he wrote that to dot Scottie?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh Kguy, if only you had posted that link before our trip to NS in July - darn. Although we did "visit" one very clean and odor free outhouse in a state park somewhere near Wolfville.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 24, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

T'would appear, CP. I suspect we need some context, need to see the full letter, or at least the surrounding stuff.

kguy, I've been waiting for that story for years. Decades, maybe.

yello, I fear your definition of "doing the deed" is pretty much confined to...well, doing the deed. I believe kindred spirit CqP and I, admitted hopeless Romantics tho' we be, envision something a bit more ... expansive, such as the lish, languid periods before and/or after, not just the part where you suddenly realize you've accidentally smashed that rare blue Mayfair butter dish under your ass, or hers, or somehow got your ankle caught in the bannister. That whole "cuddling" business (q.v. Cosmopolitan magazine, page 54-5, any month, any year, "Twelve Things He Needs to Know").

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Don't make me come up there, Boodle...

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, Viggo Mortenson and Maria Bello on the stairs in Cronenberg's "A History of Violence"- nuff said.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

What is this 'cuddling' you speak of?

A man-bed seems perfectly suited for the accouterments of afterglow. A TV to watch, a beer cooler (or better yet, a keg tap), a built-in microwave for pizza warming, perhaps a humidor for the burning dried vegetation of your choice. And there is always the effortlessness of falling asleep immediately afterward. This idea is growing on me.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I certainly not knocking stairs. I'm just saying they aren't a good place to recover while resting up for round two (three, four).

Didn't see the movie. May have to, now.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot to be said for elevators, though.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Cronenberg's best work has been the most recent stuff- "History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises"

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

engle-seuss, good job!!

Posted by: -bia- | September 24, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I actually have no time at all to boodle, but I have become so entranced (maybe) by the "centeredness" of the posts, that I would like to establish my *own* center. No, really. . .

I don't think I've ever read any FSF at all, and I suspect he should be on my list, as I drive by his grave on Rockville Pike on a rather regular basis (sorta). Ah, so many books, so little time. And then there are the books I'd like to write myself. Anyway, that quote about the faces of women in their 30s was kinda creepy to me, as now that I am around or so double that age the 30s were a time of in-betweenness. It was a decade during which I was still living in Sweden at the beginning, came home and went to law school back here, finishing in my mid-thirties and then launching out on my second career. Perhaps those women (as opposed to "those women") who got married early and in Fitzgerald's generation seldom did much other than what was expected of and for women at that time perhaps did show their feelings about all that in their faces -- maybe the surprise at how mundane their lives were, to be in service for the luxury of a roof over their heads and the companionability (if it were thus) of someone for some years. The romance and early passion of their younger years was waning, or had entirely waned by that time, and there was the mundane which had sifted through.

Well, or not.

Gotta go.

Posted by: -ftb- | September 24, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, dang it all! No more Center-ville on the Boodle.

Posted by: -ftb- | September 24, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What? Viggo Mortenson and Maria Bello have done for stairs what Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider have done for butter?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The manbed commentary is fascinating. I notice it is entirely alien to women's concept of bed. No frilly skirt, no pleasant quilt made by someone's grandma, no flowered fabrics are here. No canopies. The "man" aesthetic is half leather and half cool form/function modern. (I have heard of heated sofas in Japan. I have heard of air-conditioned seats in American cars. These things seem more revolutionary than the manbed portrayed.)

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 24, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

In my day I have vetoed a few comforters as being too flowery and some bedsheets as being too pink and not quite enough rose. My protest is that I live in that room also. I keep getting told that that is real easy to remedy.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

More exciting news from the world of unexpected water on other worlds: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news/mro-20090924r.html

Fresh (less than a year old) meteor impact craters on Mars, excavating water ice from below the surface.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Trying to make sense of this on FreeCycle:

Wanted: Multiple macrame plant hangers for my chrismas cacti when I bring them in for the winter. Thank you.

---
And, I think that the master bedroom should be rethought:

Three smaller chambers: his, hers, theirs.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | September 24, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, redheads and pinks don't go together, yello. I think you have a valid aesthetic argument.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine (in Denver, if that becomes relevant) just reported he received an e-mail from me just now that I sent three whole days ago.

Can anybody explain this? This happened on my work e-mail. It has happened on my home Verizon e-mail once in a while, too. But never gummint, before now.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 24, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm amused by the fuss made over finding water on other planets (and I include the Moon in my overly broad definition). There is nowhere on Earth you can't find it. Why wouldn't it be nearly ubiquitous at some concentration or another? It's just the oxidized version of hydrogen, the most common quasi-alkali/semi-halogen in the universe.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

In your shoes, I'd be looking at and suggesting peach shades instead...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod,

A girl I knew in high school made that same argument whenever I wore my pink dress shirt to the Model United Nations. She insisted I stick to my lavender or my yellow.

Have I mentioned that I'm a gleek?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I did have a peach shirt as well. The drapes are navy, but they don't match the carpet.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Obviously the email in question was first sent to a secure facility where it was spellchecked, parsed, poked, prodded, examined for split infinitives, and irradiated for anthrax. Finally it was transcribed in longhand onto a postcard depicting the Coolidge inauguration and snail mailed to Colorado where it was re-entered into cyberspace under a false URL. We feds have have to do things this way because otherwise the terrorists will have won!

Posted by: kguy1 | September 24, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I told Son of G over the phone today that the WaPo website was on top of a big splash of Siemens and he did a spit-take.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 24, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

There are a few reasons for the fuss, yello:

(1) water of hydration tells you something about the history of a mineral sample. For example, anhydrous gypsum (plaster of paris) is a powder; hydrated gypsum is a solid. Gypsum which has been heated above the boiling point for an extended period becomes anhydrous, permitting you to recycle the Plaster of Paris from a disastrous foray into sculpture. Water of hydration in asteroids, the Moon, etc, tells you that it has been exposed to water since the violent and superheated impacts that formed it in the first place and that pounded its surface more recently.

(2) Terrestrial biology is totally dependent on the availability of liquid water. Some frozen or gas phase water can/could indicate the presence of liquid water nearby. Some appearances of gaseous or solid water can/could indicate that there once was liquid water. Such detections thus are important guides for how to expend our future efforts in astrobiology.

(3) We, as a species, have plans to send people to visit these things. In our experience (so far), people are examples of terrestrial biology and need water to stay alive. The presence of accessible water expands the range of options available to solve the multitudes of difficulties in space flight.

(4) The mantra "Follow the water" is easy for the non-specialist to understand. Everyone is showing that they are following the water and are therefore meeting the goals of the strategy, so please don't defund my mission.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It's the new quarantine Mudge. The small people manning the firewall hold the e-mails 72 hours at 37C/98F to incubate the virii. (viruses? virus'?)

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, kguy. I've recently had some emails from my sister arrive about a week after being sent. I blamed it on a glitch from my service provider (a very large cable company), but your explanation is more plausible.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 24, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't mean to take food off your table, SciTim. But it would seem that if you look hard enough for anything, you'll find it eventually.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, in re: your 2:43, 3:01, I've seen you in a whole new light today, and I gotta say....WOULD SOMEONE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS!

I'm kidding. But really, who knew? Hmmm. I guess that explains a lot. Like the wonderful Mrs. Mudge.

Since lunch was a bust (nothing jumped out of the fridge into a pot on the stove), I should probably see to dinner. Have a happy afternoon all.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

BTW, this is a great article by Adrian Higgins:

Posted by: seasea1 | September 24, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I am one of those exhausted moms, today in particular, busy week, husband away on a business trip, just want to sit and relax but we have parent night at both schools.

I am happy though, must be the nice soft TP we have in our house. I will buy the recycled paper if it is of good quality - a few brands are not too bad.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 24, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

seasea-that was a great article. I'm glad they included a picture of the gardener in question. Not my type at all so there's no need to drop everything and take up stalking.

Funny, Mr. F is in the market for a new bed and none of the "man bed" features came up on his wish list.

Will have to be more careful in the Chez Frostbitten TP purchases, but we don't exactly have any brand or type loyalty. Our latest planet saving effort is trying to get in the habit of not eating meat one day a week. At first Meatless Monday looked good, but there are too many Monday holidays where a beer and a brat, or a few ribs on the barbie, would be too hard to resist. Meatless Thursday is turning out to be no hardship at all.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 24, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thursdays are a good choice, Frostbitten.

I knew somebody who followed a particular guru (he didn't say who), and so didn't eat meat on Thursdays.

He said except for Thanksgivings, he had managed that habit for fifteen years.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

You made me laugh, frostbitten, with Meatless Thursday. I recognize that!

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

RC's have meatless days all over the calendar (even though a lot of non-RC's think it's just Fridays during Lent).

Question: Laundry...bleach load, dark load, towel load...does anyone other than a mother of a little girl routinely have to do a pink load of laundry?

Time to put the little pumpkin to bed.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

A guy who accidentally washed his new red shirt with all his whites, LiT.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Mothers (and fathers, bless Himself's heart) of 20-year-old beautiful women. Plus a super-delicate load of bras, hang to dry.

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

LiT, you are fortunate that DC will wear pink. It wasn't a favorite color with either of my girls when they were growing up. Elderdottir loves pink now, Geekdottir would still sooner die than wear anything that color.

Posted by: slyness | September 24, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I did a black load for my kiddo the other night.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 24, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

seasea, you rawk.

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

My beautiful 20 year old woman wears a lot of blue. Baby, powder, sky, cornflower blue.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Swine flu was a contributing factor to a death of a middle school student in San Antonio--the first death affiliated with H1N1 in Alamo City that I'm aware of.

The middle school is about four miles away, about halfway between our home and my husband's work place. The boy died on Labor Day and the death is just now being reported a little more than two weeks later. The story was broadcast on our ABC affiliate station tonight about how two rapid-response swine flu tests failed to reveal that the boy had contracted H1N1.

According to reporting yesterday by our the CBS affilate station, the county's health director states that we're now having an epidemic of cases of swine flu.

Posted by: laloomis | September 24, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I am sure she knows she looks beautiful, LiT

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I also saw John Barth at college. (Did we all go to the same college at different times?) He did a reading of his novel "Letters." Before the lecture I stopped off in the restroom and discovered I was standing next to him while we were both engaged in our business. I decided not to ask for his autograph of the book I had in my pocket.

I doubt he remembers this.

Posted by: -pj- | September 24, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Evening all
I did a load of laundry when I got back to west by god after some river fun.2 pair of shorts,2 river shirts,a bathing suit,beach towel and my most favorite Pink shirt(pink tye dye with a smoking purple fish).

The calendar may say it is fall,but it still feels and sounds like summer here.

The river is as low as I have seen it in a long time,trees are already changing here,but I think due to lack of water rather then cold.

Off to stare into my frig and see if something jumps out at me(besides a cricket).

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 24, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, some women are not meant for pink.

I'm an autumn, which means peach instead of pink. Muddy colors, warm colors, tans, brown, beiges, golds and greens.

I sympathize with geekdottir here.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 24, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Today is National Punctuation Day. At least John Kelly's column says it is.

The originator of this holiday, which is clearly more honored in the breach than the observance, likes the semicolon and the serial comma. I like this guy!

Posted by: -pj- | September 24, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Still figuring out a way to post from the Blackberry, so while I can read y'all during the day (and that is wonderful), that's it!

I think the second shift has a great deal to do with being unhappy. Windy, I am happy with my new job, and just as happy that I'm getting lots of sleep and appreciation. Without them, I might as well be back at the old place.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 24, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Special laundry loads - I am impressed, here we have, dark or light the occasional white load but rarely. Other rule stuff as much in as you can, front loading washer, high capacity dryer.

As for towels, we have three kids, two adults and during the summer a pool, there are always towels in the laundry - sometimes I will do one load of just towels, but that is normally done when the laundry has piled so high that I can fill the washer with just towels, I try not to let the laundry rach those vast quantities -it is surprising how fast it can happen though.

I don't call it lazy - I prefer environmentally friendly, fewer loads - I can so rationalize just about anything.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 24, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope so Yoki, but I wonder. I tell her, but she thinks I'm biased.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 24, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Women aren't as happy as men" -- I blame all that type of thing on hormones. Anybody can be happy when good things happen to them, but the emotions that lurk and ambush us and persist over time--that's brain chemistry and we don't understand it at all. It just seems like female hormones tend to make us sad and male hormones tend to make us angry. That's a crude generalization but it's my experience.

= = =

Here's a movie that will interest some boodlers and might be a little too close to home for the Boss:

= = =

I was interested in the tattoo conversation that was going earlier--I have found it's actually a good subject for people my age because almost everybody has a kid/niece/nephew with a tattoo, and we've all had to deal with our (mostly negative) emotions on the subject. My daughter got through art college with no ink and nothing pierced but her ears. She passed her 21st birthday and didn't run out and celebrate with anything Mom would disapprove of. But I knew it was only a matter of time. This summer, she and her best girlfriend got matching owl tattoos--well, each of them did her own design so they don't exactly match. I have to be fine with it because she's an adult now, and I'll always be happy that she respected my wishes when she was a minor.

Posted by: kbertocci | September 24, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, and John Barth. I got through college without discovering him. After graduation, I was living in Key West, no tv, no radio, very limited movie theater selection, no college reading assignments--I got a lot of reading done in the 80s. I read the Sot-Weed Factor and it blew my mind (I was surrounded by drugs but not using, honest!) Then I read Giles Goat-Boy and almost never recovered. I re-read SWF recently, and have GGB on the to-read list. I need to read it and get the concepts straight. I remember that it contains a fabulous exposition on the selfishness of goodness, as presented by the devil himself; wonderfully twisted reasoning. When I went back to it, I couldn't find the passage. I need to read the whole book again and figure out what it's really about. But, bottom line: Barth is definitely a genius.

Posted by: kbertocci | September 24, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Without our son at home our laundry load has been cut in half or more. Since I have my work clothes drycleaned, that leaves just my casual clothes, my biking gear, and the whites. I have to do the color load every week because I don't have enough biking gear to go two weeks. The whites I try to stretch to two weeks because otherwise the load is just too small to make it worth it. Thanks for letting me overshare.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember ever wearing pink, though I must have done at least once as a baby. No pictures to prove it though.

Here laundry is divided into rental property sheets and other bedding, rental property towels, and everything else. Because I wash everything in cold, except for the very rare bleached load, things are sorted according to drying temperature more than color-with obvious care taken for red things, black jeans, and other notorious runners.

Frostdottir has a tattoo she will live to regret. She should have taken a lesson from her brother in both concealability and artistic merit. I generally loathe all tattoos but on my recent visit to VA I learned frostniece #1 has one arm done from wrist to shoulder. She is an exotic beauty who can carry it off in a way the dott, and 99.99% of people just can't.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

And so you are, LiT. But not too much.

Posted by: Yoki | September 24, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Before it was gentrified, Key West had quite a good bookstore. I remember carting books back to Jacksonville.

Billings, Montana, had a good bookstore, too, so frenetic shopping trips from Wyoming invariably took in books downtown, possibly a movie, the Mall, and K-Mart--until Target opened. The alternative book source was Jackson, but it was hard to justify a 5-hour drive just for shopping.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 24, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, I remember when my daughter wore All Pink All The Time. This is when I started to favor burgundy shirts. It made laundry far less stressful.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 24, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Ah, laundry. I too have a front-loader, dmd, that I love. I do well less than the 8 to 10 loads a week I had to do when the kids were small. Mr. T's uniforms go to the cleaners, so it's a light and a dark load every 4-5 days, plus towels every other day and bedding whenever I think about it, which probably isn't often enough.

Last summer I had issues with fungus on damp washcloths that made a rash on my face and neck. So the towels and the bedding got bleached, we put a new and functional fan in the bathroom (replacing the 45 year old original), and now I use Oxyclean with the detergent. And, per manufacturers instructions, I run a cleaning cycle with bleach in the washer once a month.

Posted by: slyness | September 24, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

The Greek church calendar is full of holy days that are printed in red (yes... there's literally a paper calendar that the church sends you every year). You're supposed to abstain from, er.. lovemaking on those days.

My aunt told me that when she and my uncle were first married, they got so tired of seeing those red days on the calendar, they threw it out.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 24, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I dislike tattoos, I guess it's my age showing. Heck, I get upset if I get a new freckle. #2 has three small tattoos but thank goodness only two of them are visible to the general public. She has a 'bracelet' of dog paws on one wrist and a delicate wreath-like design on one ankle. I wonder what gravity will do to some of the larger and more elaborate tattoos I've seen.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 24, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow... I guess I should hit 'refresh' before I post. I thought I had. That was in response to the RC's fasting days. What a non sequitor when you BOOO.

My kids and husband learned a long time ago if they want their clothes cleaned when they want them cleaned they have to do it themselves. When we started each doing our own laundry things got so much better in the house. Of course, being the person on the second shift, "my" laundry includes the towels and sheets.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 24, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I love my front loader too. It makes laundry a breeze - not that it was that difficult with only 2 of us. Mr seasea does his own. He throws things in willy-nilly, and seems to do ok. I do the towels, otherwise I wouldn't have much to do at all, especially now that I'm not working. I hate bleach - for the bad things that can happen if it drips on dark clothing, and the smell that makes me nauseous. My kid didn't have much laundry to do last night - some t-shirts, socks, underwear - but it was all black. I threw some dark towels in with it. He hasn't used the front loader before, and it let me get a little bit ahead of the game. I did 4 loads today, mostly sheets and towels. I like doing laundry, because I can do other things at the same time, or nothing, but I still feel like I'm doing housework.

I've never read Barth, but my brother raved about Giles Goat-Boy when it first came out. Must add it to the list...but I think Russell Brand is more my speed (got his book from the library today - woo hoo!).

Posted by: seasea1 | September 24, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I didn't see it as a BOO and I thought the red holy days prohibition and your aunt's reaction to them was hilarious!

I can't stand a full hamper and will do laundry more often than is probably necessary just to empty the basket.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 24, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

TBG,
Don't you dare tell my wife about those calendars. She'll convert.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 24, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

TBG-made perfect sense to me.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Good night Cassandra, good night Martooni...

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 24, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Gee, TBG, no whoopee on Greek orthodox holidays? Gosh, that's too bad.

On all Jewish holidays but three, you are encouraged to make love. On Yom Kippur, you should refrain from physical pleasure. On Purim, making love is not enough -- it should be sweaty hot monkey love, preferably three sheets to the wind. And the ScienceSpouse assures me that there is another holiday, that she can't specifically recall, that involves sweaty hot monkey love out in the fields. Every now and then, she says "maybe it's THIS holiday."

You should also keep in mind that in the Jewish liturgical calendar, every Shabbat (Friday evening to Saturday evening) is a holiday.

And this explains the persistence of the Jewish people and culture to this day.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Our household typically produces: a white load (= anything that is free to be bleached and become paler), a light-but-not-white load, a blue load (sometimes two), sometimes a green load, a red load, a black load, sometimes a brown-and-khaki load, and sometimes a purple load. That's 4 every-week loads and three sometimes loads, which comes to 5 to 6 loads per weekend (almost never seven). This is because SOME OF US believe that sheets should be washed every week, before the griminess becomes visible. If nothing else, it removes the cat fur. And sheets should be stripped from the bed and washed every time that they are significantly moistened by fluids that come from cats. The dog, fortunately, does not like climbing the staircase to the top floor (the stairs are the kind with individual steps and no risers connecting them, so you can see right through to the kitchen dining-and-homework area).

I leave you free to consider among yourselves who is the insistent OCD person who insists on weekly sheet-washing.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 24, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

From the sound of your last two posts, Tim, I think you should strip the bed and wash those sheets right after sundown on Saturdays.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | September 24, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

OMG, Seasea, I'm glad you're reading _My Booky Wook_. I kind of hope, for your sake, that you do not get sucked into the cult as intensely as I have done. But if you do, count on me to be your source for all the must-see YouTubes.

It's a good book, people, don't let the cover fool you: http://www.amazon.com/My-Booky-Wook-Memoir-Stand-Up/dp/0061730416

Dave, I used to browse at the Key West Island Bookstore on Fleming Street (I believe it's still there but I'm not sure) but I rarely bought any books back in those days -- I got my clothes from the free box and Salvation Army; my reading material was from the library. An exception was the Kurt Andersen book, "The Real Thing" -- it just grabbed me and I had to have it, plus it wasn't a library type book. I'm glad I bought it; it kinda sorta changed my life.

Back in those days, we did laundry once a week. I tied everything up in a sheet and balanced the bundle on my bicycle handlebars and pedaled to the laundromat. It wasn't fun. I love doing laundry now--we even have a "laundry room" which is the height of bourgeois indulgence, from my viewpoint. The sound of the washing machine is a very comforting noise to me, and I will take any excuse to throw in a load of clothes.

Posted by: kbertocci | September 24, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy wins Comment of the Day with her 11:36!

Posted by: -TBG- | September 24, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

OCDTim, I have an idea about the sheet washing person. You need to get together with Badsneakers, who likes an empty hamper. I will confess that I feel just like Sneaks.

My greatest pleasure at middle school age was clean sheets, clean pjs, clean me, clean and pincurled hair -- perfection!

Posted by: nellie4 | September 24, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I know two women who each came up with the idea of Fighting Hellfish tats, had them done, and then met each other later.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 24, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't even begin to try to describe this Maira Kalman ramble through NYC, but it has something for everyone and I promise it will make you happy this morning:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | September 25, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Water on the Moon is a resource. It can be "mined" and will make oxygen and hydrogen available. That could be the basis of a self contained ecosystem. But sooner or later we will worry about using it all up. Best we get a few chunks of ice from the Asteroid belt first.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | September 25, 2009 5:38 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

SciTim, that holiday you couldn't recall is Succoth [also spelled Sukkot, Succos, Sokkos, etc., but generally pronounced sue-coat or sue-koes). This year it starts on Oct. 3, a week from tomorrow, and it always lasts 7 days. It is a harvest festival, and is generally a happy family-oriented holiday, but if a couple wants to sneak off into the fields and make hot monkey love [the Hebrew term for which I am at a loss to recall, but it probably has a lot of H's in it], well, that's fine, too.

The word succoth [sukkot, etc.] is plural and means "booths," and commemmorates the period in Jewish history during the flight from Egypt when the Jews had to live in makeshift huts (booths) while they were fleeing. (That they could stop in mid-eescape and spend seven days at the start of each harvest indicates to me that the flight from Egypt, once they got over the Red Sea, was a rather casual affair.)

What Jews are supposed to do during Succoth is to go out in the backyard and build a temporary hut (booth, arbor, whatever, a succah or sukka, sukkah, etc.) inside of which they can eat their meals with their families and any guests, who are always welcome. Sometimes they even sleep in the huts overnight, depending upon their dedication to the holiday and their hut-building skills, and also the weather. (You aren't supposed to be miserable on this holiday, so if it's raining katz and dogs you can stay inside your house.) It is kind of the Jewish version of "camping out," and short of spending the summer at Grossinger's learning dirty dancing from Patrick Swayze, it is about as close to Mother Nature as many urban Jews ever get. (Can you see Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine eating in a succah on the roof of Jerry's apartment building? No, me neither.)

During Succoth, the primary reading is the Book of Ecclesiastes, notably the famous "catalog of the seasons" part, admirably resurrected by Pete Seeger's "Turn, Turn, Turn."

As Jewish holidays go, it's my all-time favorite. It's fun, it's outdoors, the weather's usually pretty good, you can have friends over, it's a family thing, it involves good food, if it's chilly you put on a sweater, there's no strife, no breast-beating, no guilt, no angst, no grief...what's not to like?

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 25, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse

I have it on good authority from several of my wife's Jewish friends that their idea of camping out is a hotel without room service.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

That's my wife's idea of "roughing it." (And she's a Methodist from Tennessee; go figure.)

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | September 25, 2009 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. Cassandra, missing you!

Mr. T agrees with that definition of roughing it. Me, I like real camping. I even will heat water on a campfire for the necessary ablutions and no more. But I don't much care for camping at the beach; I don't sleep well when it's hot.

Since Scotty's on vacation this week, dawn patrol has fallen by the wayside. Help yourselves to whatever you can find. I'm just up myself and on my first cup of tea.

Posted by: slyness | September 25, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Methodists like 'camping' in those cute little church camp cottages like the ones in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

For the fans of fishing and baseball, casting the first pitch, a friend posted this link on Facebook and I thought it amusing.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 25, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Y'know, the ScienceSpouse suggested it might be Sukkot, but it just seems wrong to get frisky while camping out with the kids nearby. Which is why I could never understand families with more than two children, since children are such an effective contraceptive. Of course, we have never actually gotten around to building a sukka, so it's something of an academic point.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 25, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

There's no birth control device quite as effective as having a couple of kids, Tim.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Just popping in a moment to brag... a niece of ours is graduating from Oxford today with her Masters degree in Material Anthropology and Museum Ethnography.

Thank you. You may continue your regular boodling program.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 25, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The arseslings at the San Antonio Express News have finally gotten off their arses to report on the city's upward spike of swine flu cases this morning--the story on the front page below the banner. And there's more story than what's on the front page, I'm sorry to report.

A did a little Googling last night to come up with a rough timeline of events.

Leila Walsh of our NBC-affiliate station reported the upward swing of cases in town on Sept. 17, the video is part of the link below. During her segment, she interviewed Pascual Gonzalez, spokesman for the Northside Independent School District, San Antonio's largest school district, who shared that some schools in hte district have absentee rates of between 7 percent and 9 percent. No mention of the death of the middle school student from NISD.

Gonzales also wondered why Bexar Metropolitan Health didn't share with school administrators citywide and with the public which schools in the city are experiencing abnormally high rates of absenteeism because of flu. This begs the question of "Who's minding the store?" Do school districts hold the key information or does the local health department, and who should be sharing information with whom, not to mention with us, the general public and parents? I spoke with Pascual Gonzalez during the Helotes mulch fire since the Helotes schools that were impacted by the fire are in the NSID, and liked him immensely.

Erik Runge, also of the NBC affiliate station here, first reported the death of the 14-year-old, African-American middle school student Alfie Green Jr., who had swine flu and had been sent home from school with a sore throat, around Sept. 18, when Runge's last report was dated. He reported only the death (the first to do so), not the fact that two rapid response tests failed to show the teen had swine flu, the new information reported by Jennifer Dodd on the ABC affiliate station, as I called out last night.

Now we get to the curious behavior of the Express News. It was only this morning that the deaths in Bexar County from swine flu have been mentioned and only in the tenth paragraph, after the front page article jumped to the middle pages of the A section. There have been 10 since April, three people had come from outside the county for treatment here. Two are recent--the 14-year-old boy (unnamed in the article) and a sickly premature infant (the virus passed in utero, via the birth canal, or in the hospital?)

-more-

Posted by: laloomis | September 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of bragging, we haven't heard a peep from our friend in the Southern Hemisphere lately. Brag, you out there? Who's got our six?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What's more troubling is that the Express-News ran two articles, on Sept. 20 and Sept. 23, about the difficulties of getting students immunized within the large, sprawling NISD, once the free vaccine becomes available. One article asks for trained and licensed volunteers to administer the shots or nasal sprays, which would raise both competency and many liability questions, I would think, since volunteers are being actively recruited. The other article claims that the cost to administer the shots to kids within NISD could cost $500,000 to $1 million, with the unanswered question of who picks up the tab--the district, or local, state, federal agencies?

But more importantly, why such a tight lid on information from our local health department--as mentioned by Pascual Gonzalez, and such a snail's pace in reporting about swine flu by the local print press? The Snail-News opens itself to being scooped time and again by broadcast on this important local swine flu story.

And I consider Dr. Fernando Guerra, who heads the Bexar Metropolitan Health District, to be an impotent grandstander. He grandstanded when smallpox was thought to be an imminent threat, holding a public forum outlining the district's rapid immunization response plans. He even had nurses learning how to give the smallpox jab by inoculating oranges. He was one of the first nationwide to become a media darling by rolling up his own sleeve and getting a smallpox shot, cameras rolling and clicking. Yet, when the situation does warrant the involvement of the local health department, the district officials pay lip service. The Helotes much fire is one instance. It'll be interesting to see how the flu vaccinations for local school kids in the coming weeks are handled by the honchos of Bexar Metopolitan Health. Metro Health promises town halls in the coming weeks (not days) and it'll be interesting to learn just what its plans are.

Posted by: laloomis | September 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

TBG,
Definitely brag worthy. Our son says he had the highest grade in the class on his Organic Cheme (sic) test. Much smaller than a degree from Oxford, but a step in the right direction.

One of my high school buddies from my Model United Nations days is a professor of anthropology at NYU:

Feel free to pass this along to your niece as a three imaginary degrees of separation reference.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the niece's academic success TBG. When does she starts at Walmart, or Tesco if she stays in the Old Country?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I omitted the most important part. Dr. Disotell has been on The Daily Show:

And here is one of his papers telling how we may have still been interbreeding with chimps as recently as 6 million years ago.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Found this beaut: "On Faith panelist Erica Brown is the author of Spiritual Boredom: Rediscovering the Wodner of Judaism."

Her essay mis-spells lightning as lightening (her fault) and nobody caught it (desk's fault).

I really don't think the online peeps have anybody over there who's job it is to read stuff. They just throw it up on the Web and make it look nice. Which raises the existential question, can the desk be faulted when there is in fact no desk? A konundrim.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well, you know, Mudge. Judaism does have a lot of wodner. I think it's pronounced "vodnuh."

Posted by: -TBG- | September 25, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Man sues BofA for "1,784 billion, trillion dollars"

Posted by: -TBG- | September 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hence the Yiddish term "vodnik," a person filled with vodner. Usage: "That Schlomo, he's such a vodnik. Schlomo, come in from the rain before you get hit with the lightening. Feh. Does he listen? No."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

My dictionary tells me succotash has nothing to do with Judaism.

My brother sends me a link to a Mercury flyby mission which amid so much outstanding NASA work may get short shrift
which sent me to Wikipedia and gave me the realization that a manned mission to Mercury is not impossible. The timing would have to be right to avoid frying.

I am unsure of the cost of determining the species or variant of flu virus in every single instance of flu. I have no idea if anyone is doing a statistical tracking by small samplings.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

Yellow, I've heard you mention M.U.N. a few times now. I was a MUNster in my highschool days, back in the late eighties. I no longer remember parliamentary procedure, but I have fabulous memories from those times, especially travelling to the Hague for International MUN.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 25, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Yep, MESSENGER flyby is Tuesday. Press conference later in the week. Public event at APL (if you don't know what that is, you don't live close enough to visit). EPOXI also takes one last look at the Earth on Monday.

MESSENGER mission site: http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/
EPOXI mission site: http://epoxi.astro.umd.edu/

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 25, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

LitM,
You were way more serious than I was. We never left the state of Florida. But it was all good times.

Here is a blog post I wrote about those days:

And it even has a picture of me in my peach shirt with a three-piece suit vest. I was stylin' in the 80s.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I think the second picture is my lavender shirt, but the photo is pretty faded.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

OK, I realize that there are skills for every job and experience is always a plus, but look at these job listings Son of G is coming across...

"We are seeking an part-time Grounds Cleaner. The qualified candidate will have min. 1 year grounds/janitorial cleaning experience and possess a valid driver's license."

No wonder he can't find a job.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The other day I mentioned a bunch of my e-mails were being delivered as much as three days late, and I wondered why. A little while ago, a Boodler who wishes to remain anonymous sent me an e-mail he/she had just received explaining that the Outlook e-mail system on the East Coast was experiencing "latency" issues. Not only did it take this e-mail an hour and 20 minutes to get to me it appears that someone in the e-mail IT department of the ferral gummint seems to think "latency" is the condition of being "late." Kinda like, I suppose, "drunkency" describes the condition of being drunk.

This raises the possibility of coining a whole bunch of new words:

Fatency
Hornency
Tallency and Shortency

and so on.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I've always liked a man in a sharp waistcoat.

Posted by: Yoki | September 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Next thing you know, they'll be offering unpaid internships for people interested in a grounds-keeping or janitorial career.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This little tidbit was in the WaPo story on the Nat's loss last night. It quotes pitcher J.D. Martin, who gave up a big home run in the game. It's not what Martin said; it's what the reporter and/or the copy editor didn't catch. "That first inning, right out of the shoot, everything was up," Martin said. "And especially with a lineup like that, you can't get away with that stuff."
Shoot? I don't think so. Try chute the next time, guys.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Weskit?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Weskit indeed.

Posted by: Yoki | September 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, short for "parashoot." Also the game "Shoots and Ladders."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I know! I've seen those qualifications for industrial cleaning jobs too. I was trying to get into a training program, but was told that since I didn't have experience in the training I was going for, they didn't think I'd be a good fit. If I had the experience, I wouldn't need the training, now would I?!? It's brutal...not to mention humbling...

Posted by: seasea1 | September 25, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Well yellow, that is a thoroughly charming, dare I say, lovely post you just linked to.

I love the suit.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The windbags and glassbowls of the Christian Right are right at it again.

Islamize America indeed. Cheezuz.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

new kit coming...

Posted by: joelache | September 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, denizen, I saw that too. Unmitigated bigotry in crystal clear daylight. I vote we refer to them as the unChristian Wrong from here on.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | September 25, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse