Barack Obama Wins Cy Young

I'm at the Newseum, where there's a big crowd awaiting the destruction of the moon. Hard to make it through the lobby. Lots of NASA and Northrup Grumman folks. The moon is on a huge screen. Chip Cronkite spoke briefly (the mission is dedicated to his father).

Someone sent me the You Tube clip of Mr. Show's skit on blowing up the moon -- worth a watch.

They're having a problem with the images from the moon. Something about something that "challenges the compression algorithms." All I know is, this better be good.

Meanwhile I am feeling bad for Obama, who is now not allowed to wage war. He really should scramble the jets today and take out a small country, just to neutralize this Nobel thing.

We're five minutes to impact....stand by...

OK.

Um...

I didn't see much except the moon getting a lot bigger. No splash. Nuttin. Will find out what's up with that....

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 9, 2009; 7:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LCROSS Takes Aim At the Moon
Next: Moon Thud a Dud

Comments

Wow.

But you know, I agree. Quite strongly. For changing the tone of American international relationships is how I heard it put.

Boodle hearty today. I can't wait to backboodle tonight.

(This irregularly scheduled interlude has been Brought to you via the previous) boodle.

Posted by: --dr-- | October 9, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Joel, we are looking for little squiggles on the moon?

Posted by: russianthistle | October 9, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, I see they hit the moon just fine. Not, I guess, that there was much real suspense. I mean, what were the odds of them missing? Now if the moon, you know, suddenly made a heinous swerve to port, well, that would get folks talking.

Of course, now the real work begins, the analysis of the data. (Yes, I'm biased.) Alas, this phase sometimes doesn't get the respect it deserves. In experiments like this there is often a tendency for interest, and funds, in the actual data analysis to diminish once the operational phase is complete. But I assume these guys are smarter than that.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 9, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

dr, is correct hard to explain how important and appreciated Obama's change of tone is to the world - perhaps not popular with all in the US.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 9, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I think I just heard Rush's head explode.

Posted by: KBoom | October 9, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

If Rush and Hannity and O'Reilly and Beck and Savage and all the rest have exploding heads that's just too darn ... nah, never mind, this morning has just been too delightfully full of good vibes to waste this rare, joyful feeling on the extreme right folks.

aroc

Posted by: CoraCollins | October 9, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Who at the Wapo is going to do the first scornful column on Obama's Nobel? I put 5 cents of the Krautster.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 9, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

This bombing of the moon has been done before.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 9, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Pictures? I was told there would be pictures. Candid photographs. Oh well. Let's hope the plume analysis goes well because that's kinda the point innit it?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 9, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Candid photography?

Oh, holiday snaps.

Could be, could be taken on holiday...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 9, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

'bout the Peace Prize. I don't see any reason for anyone to criticize Obama for receiving an award. Maybe criticize the committee, but certainly not Obama. It isn't like he lobbied for this or anything. Heck many people receive unexpected awards. I think this is just an indication that his presence looms much larger on the international scene than some fully appreciate.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 9, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm just gonna open up the bunker and crawl into it for a couple of days, and let the storm blow by overhead.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 9, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

RD_P, it's a case of collateral damage -- in criticizing the committee, one must mention the awardee, no?

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 9, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

WaPo's posted reponses from Gerson & Kristol, FWIW...

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Bunker's clean and fully stocked, Mudge. Just don't use up all the TP and drink all the Chardonney before I can get there, okay? It'll be late this afternoon, so you all stay safe in the meantime.

Posted by: slyness | October 9, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I look at it this way -- when Henry Kissinger (a/k/a "Henry the K") was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, I just *knew* there would be a day when the entire city of Oslo (a lovely small city, BTW) and the entire country of Norway would have to redeem themselves from that idiotic choice of awardees.

Didn't Al Gore win it last year? Yep, heads are exploding all over the place. To which I can only say: *ppppthhhhbbbbb* or however a Bronx cheer might be spelled.

Now I'm going to join Mudge in the bunker to discuss Pandas.

Posted by: -ftb- | October 9, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I see your point Scotty that this will allow Obama critics a new excuse to list all of his failings, but they have been pretty free with their criticism anyway.

Still, I can see how unexpected awards can be unsettling to the status quo. I mean, there was that time I won "Sexiest Man Alive." Followed, predictably, by those massive riots, hunger strikes, locust plague, and limited nuclear exchange.

Funny how I seem to be the only one who remembers this.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 9, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

You guys know we all breathed a sigh of relief when he was elected correct?

Its like kids in the play ground. There are kids who try to control the game and who get upset when it doesn't happen like they planned. Then there are kids who just simply have the knack of making the game more fun to play.

I suspect he makes the game more fun to play.

Posted by: --dr-- | October 9, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I am wondering where we would be today if, after January, the Republicans had decided to go along for the ride and support the President?

2009 would have been a wonderful year.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 9, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Joel remains unimpressed...

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 9, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Despite my intense cynicism and bleak weltanshauung, I remain optimistically convinced the Nobel Peace Prize will never, ever be awarded to Sarah Palin.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

A couple weeks to get data analysis? Oh. Gonna insist on sleeping and stuff are you rocket boys?

Wimps.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 9, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Joel and Scotty. I watched it and I think the expectations were set by the animation released by NASA. Was there also an attempt to change the telemetry at the collision time to reserve bandwidth for equipment other than the black and white camera?

Also a question for the experts here... at what point did the booster get dropped by the shepherding section? And I presume that the reason that we didn't do a soft landing on the 2nd segment was that such an effort might affect the readings from the scientific equipment?

Or, did they just want to let us watch a second impact?

Is there a site where you can watch telescopic recordings of the impacts?

Posted by: russianthistle | October 9, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I even set the alarm to be sure I could watch the moon 'bombing' - I guess this means I can take a guilt-free nap later today.

What a shock about the Nobel. I do agree with those who say the win was for not being Bush. The change of tone at the White House obviously means a lot to the rest of the world, even if the Repubs don't see it. And yes, I hope certain heads explode, that would be better TV than the moon thing was!

Posted by: badsneakers | October 9, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Aaaaaaaand...

New Kit.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 9, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

If the Nobel Peace Prize continues to be awarded to persons merely on the basis that they are high-ranking left-wing American politicians, the value of the award and what it represents will become meaningless.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | October 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:
The moon - that nocturnal inspiration to poets and lovers for centuries - was viciously attacked this morning by Muslim terrorist Barack HUSSEIN Obama and his co-conspirators within THE GOVERNMENT.

A clear message has been sent by this radical jihadist to good and decent people everywhere. There is no room for misinterpretation: if they can target the moon - THE MOON! - in such a ghastly and unprovoked matter, that proves - conclusively - that Main Street is not safe. Our children must be protected from the radical, hideous agenda of this man and his vile administration. Mark my words, my fellow Americans - today the moon, tomorrow Anytown, USA. OH, THE HUMANITY!

Tom Degan