Planning My Day

Went for a brisk walk and planned my day. Have much to do. Am a busy man. The key thing is to plan, to map out the day intellectually, combining serious purpose with vigor and dash.

Overlooking the Potomac gorge I noted -- because some of us have a trained eye past which very little escapes registration -- the glories of what appears to be an early peak to the autumnal foliage. Clearly my schedule today would have to include a protracted amble around town. Perhaps I could fit in some shopping. A little time reading fiction in a sublime cafe might also be in order.

This day was shaping up nicely!!!

The squirrels were scampering about, anticipating the deep chill to come. My thoughts turned to firewood. I have some, but need more, as I intend this to be the winter of many conflagrations, my upper body honed from the regular swinging of sledge against wedge. I made a mental note to spend time today cleaning up the firepit in back. It might be time to fell the weed-tree growing in the alley. Yes: I would surely need to get out the chainsaw.

Except I don't have a chainsaw. I could buy one. But isn't this why they invented the concept of the "tree service"?

At the very least I need to become the kind of person who you'd expect to own a chainsaw. As it is, most people look at me and think: That guy couldn't be trusted with anything more dangerous than tweezers.

Also I must learn how to hunt, because man is a predator. The one problem with firearms, though, is that they're loud and violent and scary. Or is that three problems? This is the kind of philosophical question that requires heavy mental lifting on a morning walk. It is possible that the Learn to Hunt meme has gotten stale, that, like Learn French, it has long since crossed over from the realm of the aspirational to that of the delusional. I remember as a kid, even water pistols kind of rattled me. It's sad to say but even at water-pistols I wasn't a great shot -- I could never figure out how to squeeze the trigger between heartbeats.

Continuing to view the day ahead, I realized that there's a game tonight. The footy. Although the Skins are so bad you have to wear the paper sack on the head EVEN IN YOUR OWN HOME this is still an excuse for camaraderie, the big hang with the pals, the big smasher with the fellow members of the Obliterati. Surely I should make a pot of chili. So that's one major decision to be made, planning-wise: Go with a red chili, a green chili, or some new experimental hue? The key with a big pot of chili, I've always found, is to eschew anything that might resemble a recipe. Chili should be improvisational, kind of like the day itself.

I headed back to the house, thinking my plans quite sound. Except I had this nagging feeling: What had I forgotten? There was just something else I needed to do.

Oh, right. That.

I gotta say, this "work" thing is really cramping my style.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 26, 2009; 9:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remind Me Why I'm Not Here More
Next: Stephanopoulos doesn't need 'Good Morning America'

Comments

Joel's inner monologue is just as random as mine, only not as prurient.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Delightful Joel.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Joel.. you could always post an ad in the "Free" section on Craigslist and hope some dummy really thinks you'd be doing him a favor by letting him come chop down that tree for you. Apparently some people think it's the "Free to me" section when they post.

I understand the paper bags are being confiscated at the gate at FedEx Field and are being taken away by security if they see you put one on your head.

We gave up our season tickets in Snyder's third or fourth year of ownership. The games stopped being enjoyable, not just because of the team's play but because of the total FedEx Field experience.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

yello, no one's inner monologue could be as prurient as yours.

Joel, the best cooking is always somewhat improvisational: what's in the regfrigerator? What can I do with this leftover X? Should I put in a little extra Y? Is there too much Z? Can I ignore the expiration date? Yesterday I made a big pot of semi-improvisational crab-and-corn chowder, using a pound of backfin plus two snow crab clusters left over from the night before, which was the improvisational aspect. That, plus I never exactly measure anything, most especially the sherry. (Yes, I put sherry in my crab chowder. Obne of the three key secret ingredients, the other two being shrimp or fish buillion cubes, and bacon. Yes, bason. Step one is always to cook four or five strips of bacon in the pot in order to generate some fat to saute the chopped onions and celery. Then the pot is deglazed with a bit of white wine to get the fond off the bottom; the wine and fond are left in the pot, and the bacon is crumbled into teeny, tiny bits. Now we are ready to begin, yes? as Portnoy's doctor would say. There, I've told you all my secrets.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Even as I type these words the indignant stares of coworkers over my maniacal laughter continue. Seriously, you would have thought they would be used to it by now.

I own an electric chainsaw, which seems kind of in conflict with that manly lumberjack theme as it assumes all Mighty Tree Felling will occur within handy reach of a stable source of alternating current. But that's just as well. As I related in this very venue some months ago, the last time I used the chainsaw I got the blade stuck in the tree. At least with an electric I know this won't happen too far from some soothing herbal tea.

But I do recommend splitting wood with a sledgehammer and wedge as excellent exercise. I'm sure your shoulder is much more robust than mine. And the brain-shattering frustration of being unable to extract said wedge from the wood is sure to provide significant cardiovascular stimulation. This is why it is handy to have two wedges. One to use and one to throw in frustration.

Yet the main thrust of this clever piece, which seems thematically linked to your previous kit, is the unfortunate juxtaposition between what we often wanna do and what we gotta do. On good days, of course, they coincide. But far too often work really is just all about the paycheck.

Which is a shame, because unstructured days can be wonderfully therapeutic. And, personally, I'm beginning to realize that there is a chance I might not have an infinite number of them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 26, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Work?
That's the curse of the drinking classes. This makes me think of the military school director in The Barber of Siberia.
(a great film if you haven't seen it)

Posted by: Braguine | October 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Had to snorkle (a snort and chuckle) over LiT's Blessed Gnocchi in the previous Boodle. It's probably best I didn't attend the Beatification ceremony - I probably would have been out of place bearing a fork and a bowl of gravy, waiting for the Arrival. Gnocchi from Heaven? Bene!

[Please note that I avoided using the phrase "Holy Gnocchi." Thank you.]

Joel, potential gaps in your planning - no quick round of 9 at Rock Creek (or even Hains Point), and perhaps most importantly, the Power Siesta.

I too, have been made sport of for the refrigerator-cleaning Pre-Game Performance Art/Football Sunday chilis I've produced over the years, but I can't recall anyone not having seconds -- even just a little, for taste.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

just remembered my husband a week or so ago, cutting up the kindling I had brought home, Tree branch maybe 3" thick and two feet long, I went into the garage and he was cutting them with the small chainsaw. Think he just wanted to have a reason to use the chainsaw - from my vantage point it was an accident waiting to happen.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I last had to use the (electric) chain saw about 3 years ago when ligtning blew out the top of a tulip poplar. The tree is technically in the back neighbor's yard, but up against the fence. The whole shebang came down in our yard, and it was an all-day job with the neighbor and his chain saw cutting things up into managable pieces for the county to haul away.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Eagles 31 Washington 6

You heard it here first.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Padouk, I, too, own a small electric chainsaw. My wife refers to it as my Fisher-Price My First Chainsaw.

You would think a woman who wants me to actually use it to do actual yardwork would keep a notion like that to herself.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

No argument from me, kguy.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

... chopping wood, hunting, sports... hmmm.... my inner dialogue goes something more like this... cleaning? what... no that's impossible... too dirty now... tidy that? but how... not sure what's in it anymore... how long has it been there? maybe years? no, not possible... is it just me??? is this a sign of something awful? time to walk the dog and peer at people's open garage doors... thank G*D, it's not just me... whew!!! what's on TV tonight?.... Dancing with the Stars in HD?.... okay, what was it I was supposed to do again? clean?, yeah, that can wait until spring... where's that glass of vino.

Posted by: MissToronto | October 26, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, nothing else matters as long as she refers to you as My First Love.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

My Last Love would be good too, no?

Posted by: kguy1 | October 26, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, look, as long as she's not wearing the "I'm With Stupid" shirt out in public, you're good to go.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 26, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fisher Price's My Adult Honey-do Darling?

Now that just sounds like a show dog name...

Great interior monologue, Joel.

You show how it should be done, with actual, like, referents to where and when the heck you are and what you're seeing and doing.

It's like a window on your sunny autumn morning, rather than being locked up with your prurient fantasies without any way to escape--a la /Misery/.

Yes, it's another Monday.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 26, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Six? Methinks three.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I got to get her to stop wearing that T-shirt.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Mudge... You inspired me. I looked in the pantry and pulled out a can of corn, can of black beans, a couple of cans of pureed tomatoes and diced tomatoes.

Chopped up the big sweet onion, sweet peppers, zucchini and huge head of cabbage Dr G picked up from the farmers' market this weekend.

Even browned the onions, pepper and zukes in bacon grease. Into this concoction I sprinkled liberal amounts of Cavender's Greek spice and salt 'n' fresh-ground pepper.

Then for kicks I added a package of crushed ramen noodles and the little chicken-flavor packet. When it's done, I'll add a can of creamed corn for thickness.

I have no idea what's going to come out but it smells delicious and it'll look like I spent at least part of my day doing something practical.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's to random, improvisational days.

I'd say I'm having one, but there is a plan somewhere, including putting on shoes and going outside to mow the grass right about now. This morning I cleaned the master bedroom, the better to move back into it.

Although I like Natalie Merchant's voice a lot, 1 cd played once is about all I can take at one time. The remastered Beatle cds are doing better.

So many contributed, but Jumper's comment about the better object being used more was definitive. With Ivansmom's, Yoki's, dmd's and badsneakers conditions met, it's a go. Like anyone was expecting any other resolution!

Posted by: -dbG- | October 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds a bit like my day so far except that I overslept, blew off the walk and don't have a job to go to. I've been trying to remember all the things I daydreamed about doing when I didn't have the time. I am going to go work in the yard for a bit, but otherwise, just not having a productive day here. And altho' "S" has both a regular and an electric chainsaw, I have no desire to use either one.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I love that last sentence, I am spending my day trying to find something that will look like I spent my day doing something practical - but really I am just goofing off today.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG, have any tortillas you can cut up and add at the last minute? Want me to fax you some?

Posted by: -dbG- | October 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Joel,
Get back to work! We want that rocket story finished. It's running tomorrow!

Posted by: YourEditors | October 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of chainsaws, we were talking with friends this weekend about, of all things, potato chips. The subject of the deliciousness of Utz chips came up and the daughter said, "Is that the kind with the picture of the little girl with the chainsaw?"

We all wondered what she meant until we googled the image...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm stupid and don't want to look like a total n00b on Facebook, but what's the difference now between the News Feed and the Live Feed?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Figuring out whether opium poppies grow well in a saline environment was not part of the plan for my day, but to answer Science Tim's challenge at the end of the last boodle... Perhaps the answer is not the resilience of the poppy plant itself but the exorbitant cost of water in an arid region.

According to pubhort.org, saline soils increase morphine content.

Excerpt:

Simple figures show why poppy farming is so attractive to Afghan farmers. Mr Nour also cultivates wheat, fruit and alfalfa in his two-hectare farm. But, while he gets 50 afghanis (just over $1) for 4kg of wheat, the price for the same amount of opium poppy is $500.

The farmers say it is also extremely difficult to grow crops other than the hardy poppy plant on the salty earth of their home, which is reclaimed from the desert. The cost of irrigation for other crops is frequently exorbitant.

Did the Helmand Valley Authority of the 1940s increase the salinity of many acres of Afghan soil? Did Morris Knudsen do more harm than good?

Posted by: laloomis | October 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

sneaks, check your email you should have one from me - I believe I am most often found in peoples spam folders :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Always happy to serve as muse, TBG. My wife made a batch of salsa Saturday using black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes from our garden. For some reason all the big '
maters are gone, but we're still getting little red ones, roma-sized. Still got a bunch of small greenies, too. I think those plants are gonna be popping out tomotoes on Christmas Day. I need to plant the winter onions soon.

Have no work to do at work. Been novelisting.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I had to look this up TBG because it was annoying me, News Feed is like the old highlights section on the News feed, live feed is ment to be everything new posted.

They also added back telling you when people friend someone etc.

It is designed that you really need to check both.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

That's a funny story TBG! Little girl with the chainsaw, hahaha!

Yeah Joel, I always comment on how work totally gets in the way of my life. What a PITA it is!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | October 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking about how beautiful a day Maggie/rickoshea must have had yesterday at Monticello. Even I-95 was gorgeous driving south to Richmond on Saturday, so the mountains must have been spectacular.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to our drive across NY and through MA at the end of the week.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

howdy, all. had a great time at the concert last night. gave a friend my other ticket, and in return she took care of the whole driving and parking thing. boy was that a fair trade off.

i wished they had done pride, and moment of surrender didn't seem like the best choice for the very last song (although it apparently has been last for many of their concerts), but otherwise, it was a fabulous concert. i'll have to go watch it again on youtube at some point.

they just added more dates for next summer, so i'm thinking about going to anaheim. seasea, they added one for seattle, too.

here's an interesting interactive in the l.a. times on the crazy u2 stadium set:
they have 3 different versions because the things take so long to put up and take down. each cost 25 million to make.

ok, now to attend to this work thing...

Posted by: LALurker | October 26, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

This is totally how I feel whenever security claims I have to give up my water.

I was told to get a doctor's note saying I needed water when flying next time.

Now taking applications from any doctors out there willing to type a snarky note belaboring the obvious about water being key to survival.

(I do have medical reasons why I need water with me while flying, but I refuse to disclose that to TSA.)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 26, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to be gone for so long. I made a list of things to do today, and for some unknown reason began on some tasks. Those wore me out, so I had to take a nap.

Good to know that this is opium central.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 26, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know there is anything poetic about using a chainsaw. I have one, a smallish tree surgeon thing that could also be called My First Gas-Powered Chainsaw, and a couple of dead trees that badly need felling. The smell of gas, exhaust fumes, hot chain oil and wood shavings doesn't get by blood boiling though. Climbing the ladder to attach the pull rope and look around from a new perspective is about the only easy and enjoyable bit. There is the actual exercise of moving the trunks around to cut them to manageable chunnks than loading them in the trailer to deliver the unusable wood (poplar and wormy/contagious ironwood) to the dump at $30 per load. And doing all this wearing the latest in safety fashion, including a hard hat with the heavy duty grid faceguard. (Male offspring of my family have a colourful history with tree-cutting implements; my older brother implanted an axe in his ankle many years ago and my younger brother got half the skin of his face peeled off by a branch that snapped back when he cut it with the same type of chainsaw I own. His skin attached back nicely with barely a scar but still, I'm not taking any chances with them fighting trees.)
In short, cutting trees is hard, dirty and dangerous work I could do without. But with the tree service guys charging $300-1200 a tree this is not an economically feasible option for my large and heavily treed lot and so I got to do what I got to do. Reluctantly.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 26, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, that's how I look at the Redskins tonite.

"...so I got to do what I got to do. Reluctantly."

So imagine my surprise when I found out that the Skins play Monday night?! I actually go out of my way to work on Sundays for this reason and this reason, alone.

I don't even bother to record the games. It is inhuman to have to watch. Now, I find that I am free and without an excuse.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

LALurker, glad you enjoyed the concert. I had a great time watching from home, without the driving, parking, getting out jams! I was surprised that they didn't do Pride, too. They had been doing it, but not at all the US concerts - not sure when/why they dropped it. Must be the first time since it came out. I've also seen lots of comments about Moment of Surrender not being a good closer, although typically, they end with a slow song. The exception was on the Vertigo tour, when they sometimes closed with Vertigo (after playing it in the regular set - pretty funny). Yes, I see that there's a Seattle show next June. Will depend on circumstances whether I go.

Raining cats and dogs here. Not a very productive day so far. I'm unclogging a drain at the moment, or hoping that it's becoming unclogged. I have a busy rest of the week.

Posted by: seasea1 | October 26, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

WaPo photo box tease: "Abstinence and reach of pop culture: Does the abstinence theme in the wildly popular "Twilight" book series affect teens' attitudes about sex?

My response: Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, jeez, that's a good one.

Think they're pandering much?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Boodle! I've had a busy morning of banking and other errands. Now it is time to eat a baked potato.

I am going out of town later in the week, and just realized how very much there is to do if I am to get on the plane with peace of mind. Sadly, this may cut into my social life. Like "work" does, as Joel observes, but without the colleagues (or pay cheque).

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Loved the Pomplamoose songs BTW. Witch no.1 had caught on to them already.

Who knew that Pomplamoose would be how an Anglo would say pamplemousse, that is grapefruit in French?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 26, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Whaddya mean, Mudge? I know lotsa teenagers that have sworn off sex with vampires completely as a result of that film!

Posted by: kguy1 | October 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Any teen who is a good enough reader to catch a symbolic theme of abstinence, or any symbolism or theme, is a good enough reader not to stomach "Twilight". What dreck. My impression is that the real theme is embodied in this disturbingly-prurient ketchup ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_5QZDpY1Y

In other words: you think he's hot now (although actually, he's room-temperature)? Just wait two weeks!

Plus, a reliable source informs me that the characters get married in the third book, do the nasty, produce a sprout in record time, who grows to adult-hood in a couple of weeks (somehow acquiring 18 years of education in the process) and gets busy with the jilted werewolf-boy who was one leg of a love triangle in the second book. So, we have a modest amount of abstinence, followed by high-speed reproductive activity and a character who immediately gets to work boffing the child of his former girlfriend. So, everybody ends up happy! The End.

Try this instead:

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

When i'm at work, I can think of 50 things I'd rather be doing at home. When I'm at home, I never think of work.

Posted by: mfigiel-krueger | October 26, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

mfigiel-krueger... very profound. And very true!

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

News Flash!!!

I have a brain! The specialist sez it must be so, since something in the right hemisphere or cortex or whatnot is apparently making my left arm and leg tingle occasionally for no other obvious reason.

Now it's time for an enhanced MRI to try and figure out what's happening upstairs...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 26, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh, and AC/DC is today's featured Wiki article! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hope everything is OK Scotty.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, Alex Liefson is Rick Mercer's guest tomorrow night, they will have a "man date at the falls", shall post a link for you Wednesday (Youtube link).

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Finally back from an all-day meeting downtown -- haven't back-boodled so much, but I wanted to tell Snuke if your enhanced MRI requires dye, perhaps chicken soup could be used instead? I mean (signaling the chorus now): "IT CAN'T HURT!"

Um, dare I ask it, Mudge -- which team will get your huzzahs tonight? (knowing smile from the Iggles side)

Me, I'm gonna ignore it all and proceed to fall asleep over the paper tonight.

Posted by: -ftb- | October 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

No impairment, dmd, just continued puzzlement from the medicos... I await the link with bated breath! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, I'm sure the NukeFelines have already given you a CAT scan. Hope you find out what's going on and that it's nothing serious.

rick0shea, weren't the colors between here and Charlottesvile wonderful this weekend? I was surprise to discover that some of the prettiest colors were to be found in the good old crape myrtles.

On the cooking front, I found a recipe for a stew that will use the CSA Swiss chard, mixed with tomatoes, white beans, garlic, and red pepper flakes. OTOH, I think I may substitute andouille sausage for the chard and make it into something we'll actually *like*

Posted by: Raysmom | October 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps, ftb, but apparently only if the chicken had a gadolinium-rich diet... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's a clip of Scotty getting his head examined. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9nLuWnyq5g (Not for the feint of heart or the squemish.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"gadolinium"??? Isn't that something that you put on your kitchen floor?

Oh, wait . . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | October 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

As a long-time New Englander, I thought that nothing could compare with the foliage there, but VA comes very close. The colors are much subtler. The landscape is quite beautiful. I kept thinking about the revolutionaries from the New England colonies when they must have visited Thos. Jefferson and Geo. Washington. They must have been envious!

Has anyone been to the Inn at Little Washington? What did you think of it?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | October 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Swiss chard were those guys who guard the pope.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Nuke,

It's those deep thoughts that can't stay upstairs.

Posted by: Braguine | October 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | October 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, dbG should be able to help if you need Lab work.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Swiss Chard is actually quite rare. Swiss Riesling, on the other hand, is more readily available.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Scotty. And the lab tech is bribable. Bring the chicken soup.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 26, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

So much for being a food crash test dummy. Just tried a ready to heat roast pork in salsa verde. Turned it into a burrito bowl. Not fantastic. I wouldn't pay full price ($7 for 16 ounces). But, not bad. Salsa was a bit bland and heeded a helping hand. I need some ice cream now.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I went to buy the best small chainsaw I could find. I asked my friend the tree man and he said his favorite brand Stihl had dropped the ball on their smallest model - so he recommended the Husqvarna for that size. So I got the smallest Husqy they make and have been impressed with it.

While I worked for my friend back in the 90's doing this work, he taught me that the tiniest touch of actual soil on a chain was instant dullness. I had not known that. He taught me to assiduously - obsessively - keep the dirt off the chain. So my chain stays sharp a long, long time. Of course, in the foolish phase of youth, one thinks that "just this once" running the saw without oil in the oiler will be okay. Oh, hell to the no, it's not okay. I also learned that I can sharpen the teeth to about twice as sharp as they come fresh from the factory. This sounds good but you won't see the performance improve by 100%, although if you cut for a few hours you and the saw will be substantially less worn out.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

My latest effort is a chocolate cake made from scratch. I made it in a 9" x 13" pan intending to cut it in half and stack one half on top of the other. Unfortunately, all in one pan meant the cake wasn't done in a half hour, so I put it back in the cooled-off oven, turned it back on to 350, listened to the beep, and started counting another 1/2 hour which could be way too much. Toughen it up? I have no idea.

Next is to incorporate a bunch of sugar, some melted chocolate truffles, butter, and a half a bag of marshmallows into something passing for frosting. I've done frosting before and been unsatisfied. Thus the new twist, the marshmallows. If it doesn't work, my next attempt would be to just quadruple the amount of butter, and double the cocoa. Or something.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

But, Jumper, don't you have to use your chain saw with that? I mean, how do you otherwise cut the chocolate up into pieces???

Segue, buster, *segue*!

Posted by: -ftb- | October 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you can possibly go wrong with a simple butter cream frosting. Or cream-cheese frosting would be fabulous on chocolate cake. I may have to make one now.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, then, Yoki, wouldn't I have to eat one now?

Let me put it on my to-do list . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | October 26, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

A lot of the "butter cream" recipes seem to want me to put in hydrogenated shortening which I am unwilling to do. Never! I shake my fist at such recipes.

I forgot to buy butter and have only one stick. So it's good the marshmallow- chocolate experiment is slated for this go-round.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Dreame cheese. A typo I will let stand. And a good inspiration for a cake icing ingredient. I really am a dessert newbie. I started out frying eggs (age 6) working for Colonel Sanders (age 14) and cooking steaks (college). I will plunge ahead when it comes to baking but I'm a naif.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I already have the cake on my to do list. Please email as an attachment.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 26, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, even by the time I reached the age of one, I was an expert at eating cake.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 26, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

ricko, I have always wanted to go to the Inn at Little Washington but have never been. I would love to hear the details, what did you think of it?

Posted by: -CB- | October 26, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

RT@tomshroder "Today's the kind of day where I think, 'Thank God I'm unemployed.'"

It was a lovely day here, as well. I'm kind of tired of being unemployed but it is my firm resolution to enjoy what freedom I have and to take advantage of it where I can. I rode my bike to the post office and walked to WalMart today, in between the cover letter writing and resume printing.

To clarify, I am certainly not tired of "not working" -- but am somewhat annoyed by the lack of income and the continual job search process.

Tim, thanks for that Conchords link. I tried to watch the show recently but didn't get past the first episode. Keep feeding us the highlights, because I doubt if I would see them otherwise.

Posted by: kbertocci | October 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

OK! Cake is in the oven, bitter-sweet ganache is cooling... I will report later.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, unsalted butter in butter cream. Really.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Why? In any case, it's over. Sugar coma ahead. In the twilight zone.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

For Redskins fans only: tonight the sports show is reporting that Chris Cooley has died his hair blond. Apparently over the weekend he was in a drug store and saw some hair dye, and thought it would be cool to be a blond. So he dyed his hair and it came out awful orange. His wife's parents own a hair salon, so he he went to them for help, and they made his hair "proper" blond instead of orange. Cooley (who is white) apparently has it in a kind of blond Afro, and says he will keep it for the rest of the season.

Then Devon Thomas, who is black and has a Mohawk, saw Cooley and thought that was just way cool, so he died his Mohawk blond.

Don't know if we'll see either player without his helmet on tongith, but if we do...be prepared. A white guy with a blond Afro, and a black guy with a blond Mohawk.

How come I get the feeling these guys don't have their heads in the right place for this game?

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Got the late shift again tonight. Hope to get home in time to see some of the game. Don't expect much, but maybe the same Eagles team will show up that lost to Oakland last week. Good to see that the Stillers pulled one out yesterday against Bret. I think the black and gold will be going back to the playoffs again, though I have my doubts about getting back to the big show.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 26, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The whole problem started when I bought a cake and they had stiffed me on the amount of cocoa in the cake! I should probably have bought one of those frozen things anyway. It was a store brand bakery cake I got. This annoyed me. It was like eating vaguely chocolatey bread. Pfah! So I began buying the kits. Today was more a thought-experiment, because never in my life have I bought cake flour before. This could be the last time!

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Re: Fall colors - The colors were nice around the Mon valley this weekend, though a bit past peak. About the same as around here. Our Burning Bush shrubs were in full red color and really brightend up the yard. Up around the Laurel Highlands the color was pretty much gone - mostly some browns and ochres.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 26, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I only do this once a year, maybe, but while the rest of you are eating cake, I'm going to pick up a cheesesteak for dinner. Amoroso's roll. Fried onions. Pizza sauce. Provolone.

Jumper, I have that wonderful flourless chocolate torte recipe if you're interested.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I find most chocolate cakes to be vaguely chocolatey bread. Black forest cake or german chocolate cake are the only cakes that come close to being chocolatey.

Actually, I just skip the cake and buy dark chocolate to mainline. More satisfying.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 26, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

It's still August in Florida, 90 degrees here in town earlier this afternoon.

Print-on-demand seems to be spreading. I ordered what's turning out to be an intriguing book on forestry in Japan when the shoguns ruled. During the Tokugawa shogunate (1600s through mid 1800s), the country sustained and improved its mountain forests despite a growing population, avoiding the bare mountains and erosion that had been a serious problem. Anyway, the book was printed on demand (using toner, not ink) and nicely hardbound with a color cover. Manufactured on Oct. 18 in Tennessee.

The book's glossary of tree names provided the character for Tsuga, a tree whose Japanese name became the scientific name for the hemlock genus. The North American east has (or had) Tsuga canadensis and Tsuga caroliniana.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 26, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmm.... Bitter-sweet ganache.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

OOh cool. The moon and Jupiter are like conjuncting and stuff. Even better than last night.

I feel like such an astro-voyeur.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, my #2 granddaughter (high school senior, culinary track) makes a chocolate cake that would meet your standards. (The little ----- won't tell me her secret.)

Can't do German chocolate cake because of the coconut, but I'm with you on Black Forest Cake. My favorite cake.

Frenvious of dbG's dinner, and *of course* it'll be on an Amoroso roll.

The moon and Jupiter have conjunctivitis?

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The cake is a lie.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 26, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm with dbG, if you want a really chocolate-y cake, the flourless one is the way to go. All this talk of cake is weird to me as I just finished reading In the Heart of the Sea, about the wreck of the Essex, the whaling ship that Moby Dick was based on. They were at sea for three months in small whaling boats, lost more than half the crew (some cannibalism occurred) and were mostly starved when rescued. I felt guilty eating dinner tonight.

I may watch some of the game tonight, just to sympathize with you all.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 26, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh yuck, yeah, I don't like coconut either Mudge. I must be thinking of something else-- you know, that double chocolate cake?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 26, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

dbG and I must be communing; I'm planning a hamburger on a homemade bun, with just caramelized onions and too much melted gruyere. Maybe a kosher pickle on the side.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Well played TBG!

Oh my. Cakes that are insufficiently rich in chocolate? Well, taste is, of course, profoundly subjective, but as a great fan of the Dark Chocolate Experience (Organic or otherwise), there is something to be said for cake as an effective delivery mechanism.

I have savored, with mine own tastebuds, chocolate cakes that actually have a more intense flavor that straight chocolate. This gastric alchemy has been achieved by certain devious women, frequently of of Mennonite Extraction, through the inclusion of Magical Substances that enhance the chocolate receptors of the tongue. Either that, or Demonic Forces are at work.

But tasty ones.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 26, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I was watching an Ina Garten/Barefoot Contessa cooking show two or three weeks ago when she made a chocolate cake, and she said the secret was to put a teaspoon ful of espresso powder (coffee) in the batter mix. You can't taste the coffee, she says, but it does...something.

I wonder if a pinch of salt might make a difference, since salt is an intensifier of flavor. Yoki, any thoughts about this?

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Long and high towards center field...

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I have all that stuff planned for my upcoming weekend,wood,leaves and fire and watching football.But I'll probably end up doing the river thing and fishing usually wins out over chores.

As for the Redskins,I think they are due for a breakout game,MNF and the Eagles in town,time to turn the season around,or at least tonight.

And mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm to any food the doesn't come out of the microwave!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 26, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I stirred a half-cup of very strong coffee into the cake that is sitting on my counter. I will see if it just makes the chocolate more chocolatey.

Salt is most always added to baking for just that reason, 'mudge.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

One of the bennies of going to the 'Burg is the chance to get some goodies at Moio's bakery in Monroeville. Brought back 3 pumpkin pies, best I've ever had out side of mom's home-made. Mom also made a sour-cream devil's food cake that was second to none. Doubt that she still has the recipe, but I'll try and remember to ask.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Jaysus. We can't even do a coin toss correctly.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

well, as for the Inn at Little Washington, it was to die for. For a stuffy restaurant, it was remarkably casual. The wait staff is trained to make the diner feel relaxed, and they do that by making small talk in a natural welcome-y way. The decor is of a small inn with shades of bordello decor.

The food is fabulous. Three courses, then dessert for a fixed price. There are three or four choices per course. They are uniformly delicious. We had a cold lobster salad to start, then I had the scallop dish while my companion had foie gras two ways. He raved about his dish, and I raved about mine. The lobster dish was divine as well. Our main courses were roast lamb and roast veal. I loved mine, and he was less enthusiastic about his, although it was perfectly prepared. None of these dishes were heavy enough to provoke the "oh no, another course" response, but none-the-less, I was less than enthusiastic about dessert. We both chose the mint ice cream with the chocolate ribbons as the less dense choice among the desserts. The mint ice cream was all about the mint that you pick from the garden for ice tea. Real mint. Incredible!

The wait staff was very attentive, very natural, and very casual. I'd go back again very soon if I were Warren Buffet. I do recommend it.

I hope, CB, that the above gives a sense of the restaurant, though I admit I'm no Tom Sietsema. (And I didn't even mention the wine: it was white followed by red).

Posted by: rickoshea1 | October 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Ladies, please avert your hearing.

*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@*&^%$#@(*&^%$#@

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

futbol not going well?

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Laughing.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

There's hockey on RDS/TSN. Canadiens vs NY Islanders. Might be better than the Warshington vs whoever game.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, "futbol" not going well at all. Eagles score on the 4th play on a 67 yard reverse. I think I'm glad I can't watch the game "live" right now. The meeting is now over an hour behind schedule, so I might not make it home before the game ends. To quote Mudge: @#%&&*#&#^&#&*%#$(*&%.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I am in a happy zen-like state free from all thoughts of football. In fact, when I hear the word I think of naught but happy little children of the Commonwealth kicking about a round ball.

It is a peaceful place. I don't wanna leave.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 26, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

May I join you in your happy place, RD? Only for me, it is about hockey. Which I shall think about in terms of great lumpy girls in kilt uniforms on the playing fields with vicious hardwood hockey sticks. At least, that was my experience of field hockey. I've never had such badly-bruised shins since.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh sure, just when I am going up for dinner, you guys start talking desert...

Brings to mind the best cake I ever tasted. I was away from home on a day when the boys did not have school. They took out one of the chocolate cookbooks and proceeded to make a cake. When I came home, there were dishes in every corner and there were spots of chocolate on the lights and the ceiling, the counters, and we won't even mention the floor. The cake sat proudly on a big plate on the counter and the boys gathered round to see what I would say.

The top had sort of slid off the bottom and the frosting was not at all even. Under the un-iced parts, you could see that the edges were just a tad crisper than they ought to have been. It was a thing of beauty. Best darn chocolate cake I ever tasted.

Posted by: --dr-- | October 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

dr wins coveted "Post of the Week" award.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

That is lovely, dr.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated had the 'skins pretty low on the betting order. But his most devastating piece was about the good football men having their name sullied by their association with the 'skins. The money is good if you join the skins but your career does a major nose dive. The skins make a stain on your CV.
I can't remember a more negative piece written about any team.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 26, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

It's not unmanly for a man to cry, is it? That's what I've heard. Not that I mean to cry right now or anything. I was just asking, in case it become necessary at some point in the not too distant future.

Think of it as emotional planning.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the other way to look at it is we get the ball back again really quick.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

CB and Rick/Maggie:

Been to three or four of the neighborhood holiday buffets of the Little Inn. Knew the Mayor of Washington, and was invited. Bordello-tinged decor is right!

Belated hippobirdie to TBGDot.

Leaves? RD, why rake into lines then mow them.

Vintage lady! Thinking of you often. Martooni sightings and Rainforest on night shift. BH baking bread....all is well with the boodle. Thanks for the faxed cake: delish and so good for the real waiste-line.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The boys even did their own fire extinguishing, how lovely of them.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

We've got them right where we want them. Hugely, majorly, vastly, humongously over-confident.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

*speechless*

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I always have been, am now, and probably allways will be a Washington NFL Franchise fan.

This, of course, means I have some understanding of existential pain. Watching football as a Sisyphean task.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 26, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Dear heavens, the Redskins are playing rather like the Dodgers. I need to find new teams to follow.

Posted by: nellie4 | October 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

kb, I know exactly how you feel. What I hate about being unemployed is the uncertainty, and the waiting. Waiting for an interview, waiting for an offer, waiting to hear something, waiting in line. Wondering if you should take the first job that comes along, if it ever does. Not being able to plan too far in the future, because something might come up. Bah.

dr, what a great memory.

Posted by: seasea1 | October 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Not the Dodgers, the Angels.

Posted by: nellie4 | October 26, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

But then, Dodgers, Angels -- either one.

Posted by: nellie4 | October 26, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Just checked in with hubby who is watching the game, and sobbing, stated he bets on them every week.

When I asked if perhaps the Redskins and Leafs were in a competition to see who could be the worst sports franchise, he said another of his favorite teams is attempting to get in the competition, the Orioles - he's having a tough year.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 26, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss, widddddddddddddddddddddddddddddde open.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 26, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

OK, we're only down 17 at the half.

Now if Washington could somehow conjure the Saints to go marching in for the second half...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 26, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

That is one good cake.

Posted by: Yoki | October 26, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying "Khubilai Khan's Lost Fleet: In Search of a Legendary Armada" by James P. Delgado. (hardback, University of California Press, on sale, cheap, until the end of the month). The mighty invasion of Japan seems to have foundered of its own weight, with a bit of wind applied. Japanese small-boat attacks caused the invading fleet to moor its vessels together, forming a "massive floating island." Faced with sudden wind,"the vessels were jammed together in the offing, and the bodies of men and broken timbers of the vessels were heaped together in a solid mass so that a person could walk across from one point of land to another on the mass of wreckage." (Korean account).

It seems Marco Polo's brief account of the invasion was pretty accurate. So maybe he wasn't a faker who never really made it to China.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 26, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I've been absent . Who gets the excuse?

Posted by: -jack- | October 26, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

20-some years ago, Gourmet magazine (or perhaps it was Bon App├ętit) revealed that using a bit of tomato juice in a chocolate cake will perk up that chocolate flavor right nicely.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 26, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

That makes sense, SciTim.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 26, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, dozed off during the half. Wife turned off the TV. Did the Redskins make an adjustment? Get the ball back to the QB?

Posted by: bh72 | October 27, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Read the Wapo account. According to them 82000+ turned out to see the, how did the romans call it? Surely all those people didn't come down from philly and pay the prices I have heard FedEx charges.

Posted by: bh72 | October 27, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

bh72, the Redskins got the ball to quarterback Donovan McNabb. It wasn't exactly an "adjustment," though.

Posted by: curmudgeon-1 | October 27, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, note to team, put some stick-um on the face mask, just in case. ... you just never know.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Redskins offense is being modified to accommodate their ineffective offensive line ... they will be implementing the half step drop?

Actually, quarterback for either team didn't seem like a particularly healthy position to play.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. Will someone please tell me what football teams are having a good season? It certainly isn't happening here. I don't watch the games, but the anguish is inescapable.

Mr. T and I had a pleasant visit with friends last night, a couple we have known many years. She recently received a diagnosis of breast cancer, but it was caught very early and she's going to be fine. I'd been meaning to send her a card for two weeks, so when Mr. T called to say she was coming to the meeting he was having with her husband, I had to put aside my fatigue to go and hug her and tell her she's in my prayers. I'm so glad I did.

Another busy day ahead. Elderdottir called to say she needs to go out to see Third Dottir, did I want to go. Of course! So I'll go hug and kiss my favorite toddler boys.

Posted by: slyness | October 27, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

You know, the Skins just aren't any fun to watch. I mean I can handle the L if they just make it more or less worth while to watch for a couple or three hours. But you end up hating yourself for watching at all.

New kit coming in a lil bit...

Posted by: joelache | October 27, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

As I said last week, Joel, those are three hours that you will never get back. There is nothing deader than a Monday night in Washington when the team is doing poorly. I know a lot of people are home, but they can't be watching the game. Are they hiding in their closets? Under the bed?

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Exactly so, Joel

Last night I hid downstairs in the bunny room, read something written by Michael Palin, chatted a bit on the internet, and drank a copious mug of Sleepy Time tea.

I feel pretty good this morning.

I mean, there is enough pain in frustration in life as it is.

The Redskins can survive without me.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I was born a Redskin fan. My mother was in her regular seat at Griffith Stadium a week before I was born. I've rooted for the team through thick and thin, and believe me over the years there has been more thin.

I had no idea that there WERE playoffs until George Allen came to town.

I have my mother's collection of "Bring Pro Football Back to Washington" bumper stickers. And the ones that said "Now Pro Football is Back in Washington" from when Vince Lombardi was hired. I have the "I like Sonny" and "I Like Billy" bumper stickers. Got 'em all.

But last night when I went to bed in the middle of the second quarter, I realized I just can't do it anymore. I think I've got my Sundays back.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

TBG, if you give up on the Redskins, you lose out on that food that is football food. Can you retain the football food without the game?

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I mean, when football season arrives and gets rolling, Cheddar Cheese sales go through the roof.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I won't be satisfied with the spiral down until Daniel Snyder ... Mr. Snyder, starts calling the plays. I want to watch that.

I want to see Mr. Snyder down on his knees diagramming plays in the dirt.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

RT... Oh yeah, we can still have the football food.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morninkzz you Boodlers!

A very satisfying day yesterday. Got caught up with writing commitments, lunch lady included superb asparagus from Linares for lunch.

AAAND it was warm!!!!!

Today will get a haircut.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | October 27, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks! I had my cheddar cheese yesterday on a burrito bowl with extra salsa. I have a yearning for chili. Oh, I can't forget to restock the sour cream.

In this area, football season has been doubly tough because of the Terps and the Cavaliers. The only difference between the two is that Virginia got to have Maryland on their schedule.

My theory is that, if the ball has points, then there is 'no point.'

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, bc and NukeSpouse and I had a fine time last evening taking in a showing of "Zombieland."

Or was that the MNF game?

No no, I'm sure we were watching the movie. There aren't any firearms allowed in MNF.

And yes, I'm always a fan of CAT scans and lab tests.

*back-in-the-office-saddle-darnit Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Joel's new kit is up (been up for nearly an hour) but nobody's over there yet.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Just came back to get everyone, new kit.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse