Stephanopoulos doesn't need 'Good Morning America'

You've read the stories about how ABC News is thinking of making George Stephanopoulos a co-host on Good Morning America. Stephanopoulos supposedly is trying out for the job and vying with news reader Andrew Cuomo for the slot soon to be vacated by Diane Sawyer. AOL TV writer Gary Susman votes for Stephanopoulos going to GMA. And here's the thumbs up on the idea from columnist Jon Friedman of MarketWatch:

'But the position is could be tempting, nonetheless, to an ambitious broadcaster like Stephanopoulos. The notion of getting face time for 10 hours a week on "Good Morning America" is a big inducement. Consider that he has a fraction of that now on Sunday mornings. This makes it all but impossible to turn down, despite any of his professional reservations.

'Then there is ABC's role. The network has a lot riding on its morning program, a potentially lucrative entity. Stephanopoulos, on a pure dollars and cents basis, might prove much more valuable to the network if he helped anchor "Good Morning America."

'I interviewed Stephanopoulos in April during a trip to Washington. He struck me as uber-ambitious and eager to make a name in broadcasting -- and, with it, dispel his reputation as an ex-White House operative-turned-journalist. By taking the "Good Morning America" job, he would do just that.'

Um, wrong. This is a dreadful idea. Putting George in the GMA circus would be management malpractice. That would be like a White House political aide telling Obama, "What you really need, Mr. President, is to start wearing a cowboy hat and shouting 'Yee-haw!' at the beginning of every speech."

Stephanopulos is doing very, very well on his current career path, and needs a morning gig about as much as he needs a job as a greeter at the Clinton Library. He's arguably the broadcast news version of Conan O'Brien: Someone who initially seemed to have no business being on camera, who looked amateurish at first -- but who proved everyone wrong. George is now a polished pro who runs a first-rate Sunday show. It's probably the best Sunday show going, and has surged in the ratings.

And contrary to what Friedman suggests in his column, Stephanopoulos does more than just a Sunday show: He's the "chief Washington correspondent" for ABC News, making him the go-to analyst for major presidential speeches, news conferences, elections and other breaking political news. Friedman writes that Stephanopoulos is "uber-ambitious," a language-mangling neologism that should be taken out back and dispatched with a bullet between the eyes. Friedman also says that George is "eager to make a name in broadcasting." I would quietly suggest that having a TV show called "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" is a pretty good way to make a name for oneself.

Supposedly George wants to "dispel his reputation as an ex-White House operative-turned-journalist," but he has now been at ABC News for 12 years and has been the outright host of "This Week" for seven. At some point he's no longer the same political figure we saw in "The War Room."

This whole thing doesn't make any sense. I doubt Stephanopoulos truly wants to host a show in which he would be forced on a regular basis to bake muffins, practice headstands, interview the Vapidarati, handle snakes, speak in tongues, ask chimpanzees what kind of tree they'd want to be if they were a tree, and all the other stuff that morning hosts must do.

By Joel Achenbach  |  October 26, 2009; 7:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Planning My Day
Next: Paperboys

Comments

Not sure why anyone would want to do a morning show, hard to look intelligent on those shows.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I gave up on American TV, soooo boring.

Posted by: Braguine | October 27, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

TVs work in the morning??? Who knew?

Spot-on, JA. I'd have to wonder if Friedman was secretly auditioning for a Sunday talk show position...

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree, Joel, that this makes about as much sense as the Brady Bunch Variety Hour. Really, George has more dignity than this.

Unless, of course, there is something more subtle going on. Perhaps this is part of an effort by GMA to dramatically raise the intellectual level of early morning discourse in this country. (Yeah. Right.)

Or maybe George just has the hots for Diane Sawyer.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Morning boodle! Job search continues, made more difficult by wanting to relocate to the Hip Urban Loft while still completely enmeshed in Northern Dysfunction, like Northern Exposure except with 24-7 to fill no one is cute and quirky any more. I obviously need more coffee, and a little sunshine wouldn't hurt.

JA is completely right. The only thing moving to GMA would give Stephanopoulus is the opportunity to look silly on a daily basis. It's the kind of job he was lucky to not have to settle for on his way to his Sunday gig.

Haven't lurked much but kitty lovins to Snuke, and good luck with the job hunt to all (sneaks, kb, am I right that seasea is looking too?)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 27, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Diane Sawyer really is the key to this. Last I heard she is heading to "World News" next year to replace Charles Gibson who, himself, comes from GMA. So it is reasonable that George might view this as a legitimate launching point for that job.

Which, of course, assumes that being the anchor of the evening news is really that plum of a job.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone with an ounce of credibility opt to become part of a morning 'news' program? I used to watch Today but with less and less enthusiasm as they became fluffier and more celebrity centered. I don't know who these shows think their audience is, but it's obvious what they think of the viewers' IQs. I rarely watch Stephanopolous but I hope he has more sense than to choose morning TV.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 27, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Ares liftoff is set for 9:24. Weather looks less than entirely cooperative.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 27, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe Stephanopoulos bet all his money on the Redskins and really needs the cash.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Good morning America is still on? Oh my.

'morning all. The only morning TV I watch is on some SDunday mornings: the European/Middle Eastern F1 Grand Prix start at 08:00 EDT.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 27, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I assume that there are folks that watch morning network tv, but they are out there like the folks that watch Fox News. I just don't understand either group.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, yes, my morning viewing is often MSNBC schedule from night before. I can't stand being tethered to a live show. To me, morning tv resides in my memory as a series of fake cooking demos in 3 minute segments.

Basically, the demos are (1) put some oil in a hot pan; (2) stir a couple of ingredients in a bowl; (3) cook some chicken for 20 seconds and then (4) sample something that was prepared earlier.

... hold up book.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't entirely poo-poo morning news shows. When I was but a wee lad of the single digits, I caught part of an interview with Malcolm McDowell on the opening of "A Clockwork Orange." Of course, I understood none of it. 15 or so years later, however, I remembered that interview and took the opportunity to see the movie. Later, I bought the novel. ACO remains one of my favorite movies that I've only seen once (maybe twice; I don't recall). And it's all because of the Today Show. That, and a Kubrick film series at my undergrad school. Man, that guy knew how to make a movie. I still need to see Barry Lyndon and Full-Metal Jacket. ACO, Dr. Strangelove, Lolita -- those were great movies. The Shining never did much for me.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I recall that Barry Lyndon wasn't much liked by the critics. I recall the lighting-by-candles and the first battle scene, which was terrifying. Even if it was just a little skirmish.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 27, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha! As long as Snuffleupagus is in discussions with the Devil at the crossroad, he ought to just learn how to play the guitar.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 27, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning! I can't comment on the Kit intelligently, as I've never seen either a Sunday morning show or "Good Morning America". At some point in ages past I saw the "Today" show, but not regularly. I know nothing from morning TV. Stephanopoulos seems like an interesting and intelligent person.

I'm sorry I missed the chocolate cake discussion. While there are lots of good cake recipes, with varying degrees of chocolatey goodness and secret ingredients, my no-fail recipe is found on the Hershey's Cocoa box. It is simple, foolproof, tastes like chocolate, and makes all manner of cake or cupcakes. The accompanying frosting recipe is also simple and tasty. This is what I make when we just want some good cake, or when I need a quick party cake.

I have to apologize to the Redskins fans. I find the Boodle accounts of the games oddly compelling reading. Since I myself have no football allegiance, it can't be schadenfreude.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 27, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Of course.

Reminds me of a story of two women talking in Dallas when LBJ was the President. "Isn't it great to have a President that does not have an accent."

So it is.

And when they finish they ought to say "Adios."

Posted by: gary4books | October 27, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I watched a bit of he game last night, late in the first half. It felt strangely familiar but I didn't know why. Then it hit me, it was Lionsball all over again. Incompetent QB, atrocious play calling, inept defense, the whole thing came back like a recurring nightmare. I changed the channel back to hockey (the Canadiens won by the skin of their teeth).

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 27, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

More Rocket Talk:

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

That is a nice space article by Joel. Concise, yet filled with interesting information and thought-provoking.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 27, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Hah! Rush Limbaugh punked! (again)

Last story in segment.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

From Joel's article:

"The idea is that, rather than sticking with the traditional, bureaucratic method of building government-owned spaceships, astronauts would essentially buy a ticket to space as if they were flying US Airways to Atlanta."

This is a really terrible idea. First, it's going to be a major pain for the astronauts to have to take off their belts and shoes right before launch when they go through security. They have those big, bulky spacesuits on with all the vantilation gear, and I'm sure it's a major pain dropping trou just to take your Bass Wigeons off to show you haven't got any matchbooks in your shoes.

Second, as many of you may know, space flight takes an awful long time -- very often, whole days. The astronauts are not going to survive very long if they can only take on board 3 ounces of liquid. Yes, yes, I know--the flight attendants aboard will have beverage service (how dumb do you think I am?), but one can only live so long drinking Sierra Mist and Seagrams. And most airlines have discontinued food except in First Class, and I dioubt the American taxpayer is willing to spring for upgrades in seating, not with the economy the way it is. How long can astronauts survive on those teeny-weeny packets of pretzels? Not very long, methinks.

To me it's quite clear: NASA is just going to have to re-think this entire food service thing. And don't even get me started on baggage. $10 a bag? $15? Are they crazy?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Now, if it were George Stromboulopoulos in question, I'd be all for it. Because it cannot be other than a good thing to start the day gazing at that George.

Posted by: Yoki | October 27, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Excellent points Mudge. Of course, they already have the "waiting on the tarmac" bit down.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, last time I took NW it was $20 per bag. There was 2 hunters with duffle bags, backpacks and gun cases who weren't too happy about having to shell out $120 between them at the departure counter...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 27, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm assuming the network is throwing obscene amounts of money at George S. And I watch his show on Sundays. Religiously.

The cake, as predicted, sent me into a blood sugar swoon and removed me from further action. It turned out pretty good, too. The frosting / icing was the last time I will screw it up, which I did. Gritty. I didn't melt the sugar. I finally grasp the concept of caramel and chocolate. Melt the sugar and THEN lower the temperature before adding the chocolate. Duh. But the marshmallow addition worked well. Fluffy.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Joel. I would urge you and your readers to read beyond the headline of my article, which perhaps overstated my enthusiasm for the idea of Stephanopoulos at "GMA." What I wrote in the article is that, of the people ABC is openly considering for the job, I think he'd work out the best. (By the way, the other likely contender is Chris Cuomo, not Andrew.) I also suggested in the article several other names, people whom ABC may or may not be considering, who might succeed in the post as well.

Stephanopoulos may not need this gig (he's doing just fine, as you point out, at his current job), but he certainly seems to want it, or is at least considering it, or why else would he be trying out? A move from a Sunday morning show that draws a modest audience for one hour per week to hosting ABC News' most lucrative show for 10 hours a week Monday through Friday -- in professional terms, that counts as a big promotion. You may not see it that way, but Stephanopoulos is (as you point out) thoroughly assimilated into the TV business; he's not in the elevating-our-national-discourse business. TV is TV, and it's Beltway insider-snobbery to suggest that "GMA" is any less dignified than "This Week." There's really not much difference between interacting with chimpanzees and the "Vapidarati" and conversing with pundits and politicians.

Posted by: GarySusman | October 27, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kubrick Forget BL and FMJ and seek out the good early stuff, The Killing and esp Paths of Glory.

Good news from the European front: Church of Scientology convicted of fraud in France! All (3) locations of McDonald's in Iceland calling it quits!

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Hmmph. I guess the lutefisk shakes didn't work out. They must have clashed with the herring burgers.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

$20 a bag? My god!!! Well, that just illustrates my point, and the Augustine Committee is right: there's just no way we can afford space flight. How long is a mission to Mars? Years, right? So how many shirts and socks and changes of underwear will the astronauts have to take? At $20 a bag that certainly must come to well over $100 worth of luggage.

It's insane, I tell ya.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Andrew Cuomo.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Which reminds me: one year the kids pitched in and got me some Elon Musk aftershave for Christmas. Worst. Chrsitmas. Present. Ever. I finally had to say, "Thanks, kids, I know it's the thought that counts, but next year, let's go back to the Old Spice, 'kay?"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Those are good points, Mr. Susman. Sure, this might make perfect sense under the criteria that you point out, but it clearly doesn't make as much sense under other criteria.

So which criteria are most important? Well, that comes down to mushy subjective values doesn't it? What some view as "beltway snobbery" others view as seriousness. Just as what some view as trivialities others view as populism.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Mickey D franchisee is converting to all local suppliers because McD's corporation required him to import everything from Germany and the cost was prohibitive. "It just makes no sense. For a kilo of onion, imported from Germany, I'm paying the equivalent of a bottle of good whisky," he added.

Since the kroner went in the crapper Iceland has been really hurting and they're looking for any way to cut imports, tough to do for an island nation of 300k whose primary products are sheep, fish, aluminum, and glaciers.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

And how long has there been a planet called LEO? What am I missing here? And why do we want to send a manned mission to LEO anyway? Won't that just piss off the LEONIANS?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

kguy, can't they just fish the kroner out and wash it off?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Ares in 8 minutes? Murky sky means it's unlikely to be visible here.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 27, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Oooooooooooo...

Found a wonderful nugget in today's piece on Ian McKellen:

"His latest along those commercial lines starts up in mid-November on basic cable's AMC channel, when he appears as the enigmatic No. 2 in a remake of the mind-bending '60s British series, 'The Prisoner,' filmed in South Africa and Namibia with Jim Caviezel in the title role."

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Triboelectrification remains 'red' for Ares. Something about picking up electrical charges while passing through a cloud. It sounds as though no one heard that term until now.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

DotC, I thought that was from the FDR administration in the 1930s, when they extended the TVA to some of the Indian reservations.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Another factor to keep in mind when thinking about George's potential career path is uniqueness.

Look, even if one grants the notion that interviewing members of Congress is no more "important" than interviewing a kid who scared off a bear, I assert that the two jobs really do have distinct requirements.

Although George can probably do the latter, his relatively rare skill set seems far better suited to the former. And a sound piece of career advice is always to find a job that few others can do.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Ares launch scrubbed due to weather.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The current economy of Iceland can best be likened to a football team that's lost its two best offensive linemen and its best receiver, is three scores down in the fourth quarter and decides not to kick the FG on fourth and goal. When you see the truly nasty stuff in such great quantity circling the drain faster and faster, you'd better just step away quickly and hope there are no clogs.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Watching NASA TV. Have to say it makes for compelling video.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

William Kristol's column today says the GOP has taken a turn to the right. For this observtion the WaPo pays him money.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

George S may be good enough for politico interviews, but can he do this-

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

kguy, OMG, that cardboard cutout is priceless - did they win an award for that piece of journalism excellence.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

mudge, what is Kristol doing? Covering himself? On so many levels, this is beyond wrong, and going deeper beyond faux news to faux commentary--if that is possible.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

faux commentary = Fox commentary

Posted by: ebtnut | October 27, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Hold Press Conference

Posted by: russianthistle | October 27, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Z-z-z-z-z-z.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 27, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ooh! Not only did I make it into Weingarten's chat, I got commended for my clarity! Woo-hoo!

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Since it's dead, a random thought....

You ever notice the difference between a man who colors his hair and a man who colors his own hair?

Posted by: LostInThought | October 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

No. No, I did not notice.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 27, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Does he or doesn't he?

Only his hairdresser knows for sure.
Cue: Mr. Clairol logo and uptempy guy life-style music

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Something I have noticed, many times in fact, are men wearing toupes whose hair has turned gray but the rug is still dark. There is a sort of ship's waterline effect that's hilarious. As in cases of egregious comb overs, I just want to walk up and ask if they think they're fooling anyone.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

JA misses one important point, maybe this would be an opportunity to change the content, if Stephanopoulos were to have any programmtic control. Then we wouldn't have to watch: "baking, headstands, Vapidarati, chimps, etc.". But, alas, it's not about what's a good idea. Rush Libaugh is a terrible idea, but it's all about the ratings.

Posted by: kenhyde | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Did Mudge and BC write the following prize- winning sentence?

Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the “Ellie May," a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.

No, it was

David McKenzie
Federal Way, WA

Posted by: rickoshea1 | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

To continue with the previous thought, I once saw Sam Donaldson in the airport and satisfied my longstanding curiosity. IRL as on the tube it looks like the man has a cowpie on his head. He needs one of these-

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

LiT, I do indeed notice.

The difference was noticeable this weekend on the football field, as the difference between Kurt Warner

And Chris Cooley

And Mudge, I don't think much money would be needed for clothing dry cleaning spacesuits for those long flights. 'nauts may need to Suit Up for launches and landings, but other than that, I say Fly Nekkid. Cheap and easy.

Please note that Rendezvous manuevers are clothing optional.

And I'm not going to go anywhere near the hair color question with *that*.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes LiT, I knew someone who colored his own hair. It was a very dark brown with grey and when he colored it, sunlight made it look purple. I've never seen a toup that didn't look fake, why not just go bald, it's not a big deal (for a guy!).

I am so bored I just re-alphabetized my spices. Found some I didn't know I had and also some dupes. I should probably make a spice cake but don't have enough ambition.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The pun awards are especially funny.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | October 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

A look at the declining news content of the morning shows.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of very little, perhaps, I was noticing this weekend that the NukeAbode's new drapes pretty much match the carpet.

Beige all around.

Except in the kitchen, of course, but then again there's no carpet there anyway.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, CqP, howya been?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I watch the Sunday show religiously (no pun intended) to find out what the DNC's latest talking points are. Stephanopoulis is about as nuetral as battry acid and just seems to enjoy negatives about any republican. I listen for G. Will's opinion and to see the "Sunday funnies" because I do not listen to late nite talk shows. If Stephanopoulis goes to GMA I will watch that even less than I do now. Talk about an in the tank network!

Posted by: fcrucian | October 27, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't deal with glare. It bothers me while driving; shiny magazines annoy me although I'm a subscriber. I use table lamps; overhead lights blind me. Indirect lighting; that's what I'm for.

So I appreciate the comb-over. I can dig it.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

fcrucian, what network would not be "in the tank" in your opinion.

Jumper I dislike shiny magazines as well, find it so difficult to read them.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Front page alert.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, do you see an ophthalmologist regularly? Your problems with glare sound like the beginnings of a cataract. Been there, done that -- immediate improvement.

Posted by: nellie4 | October 27, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

We have an Indian gentleman, from the sub-continent that is, who seems to like the the henna hair colouring dye. But his latest try wasn't a complete success; I doubt that the safety-orange combover he is wearing these days is what he was going for.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 27, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Safety first Shriek

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Once upon a time, I had a boss who was completely gray. He tried to dye his hair black at home, and even he thought the outcome was hilarious. To say the least, the color was not consistent. IIRC, he went to a sylist and had it redone correctly, then let it grow out and never tried that trick again!

Posted by: slyness | October 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, it may be that he admires Donald Trump's style.

Posted by: Yoki | October 27, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It is possible to admire Donald Trump's style - ewww ick.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. I once worked for a man whose wife colored his hair. Once every few months he went from gray to completely black. We weren't supposed to notice.

And I will admit that I once got a home perm. But this was in 1982 and I was in a really weird place.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It was the eighties RD, nuff said, about the same time I had both a home perm and blonde highlights - neither have ever been repeated, the hair with shoulder pads and acid washed jeans almost make Trumps hair seem OK.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Hi Mudge. Working very hard on all fronts. Editing with a group of high level scientists....oh, behold the splendor of nerds....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 27, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ah, RD, but was the perm in a really weird place?

Posted by: kguy1 | October 27, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Not that this is any real surprise, but...

*rolling my eyes*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"The splendor of nerds"-- is that available as a boodle handle, Mudge?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Imagine this plausible scene, circa 1978:

a nerd, resplendent with fully poodle-permed hair complete with amber lowlights and moon-wheat high lights.

Now, I ask you: does the perm make the nerd?

Perhaps, Grasshoppa. But the better question might be what is the sound of one nerd thinking?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 27, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I've finally ground to a halt on this very weird day. The weirdness shall continue tomorrow until I get all these *expletive* agreements edited and conformed.

What I don't like about rain, which ordinarily I do (or would) is that, while it gets rid of pollen, combined with the dying leaves, it ratchets up the mold coefficient and makes my eyes water and itch. I have dry eye anyway, so the exacerbation coefficient (combined with the mold coefficient, which is connected to the hip bone -- are you all following me???) makes me miserable.

But apart from that, is anyone in Boodledom going to join me in an evening of SYTYCD? It will be interesting to see how this season goes. I'm not sure I have a favorite at this early stage yet. Last season (like, two months ago?) Brandon was clearly my choice from the very beginning. Gonna be fun.

Toodles, Boodle.

Posted by: -ftb- | October 27, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

ftb, hope the air dries enough to make you more comfortable.

I am just about to leave for cheap-movie Tuesday, then will try to sleep before my very early flight tomorrow.

But there is no reprieve; free wi-fi at the hotel. I shall Boodle. hehe.

Posted by: Yoki | October 27, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Best rendition of a morning "news" show there is...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I love how the posts went off topic about five hours ago, and no one's seemed to notice . . .

I actually am a long-time watcher of GMA. It's what I watch/have on in the background when I'm getting ready in the morning. I was watching GMA when the Challenger shuttle blew up (on the west coast then) on January 28, 1986, and it's what I was watching on the morning of September 11, 2001. Needless to say, I've seen A LOT of GMA shows.

Consequently, I've seen GMA hosts come and go, and I feel I can speak with some authority when I say George on GMA is not a good idea. To his credit, he's not "fluffy" enough for the job. Stick with the straight news, George, and you can anchor the Evening News when Diana retires.

However, I also don't want either Cuomo brother to take the job. Andrew is doing just fine where he is as New York State Attorney General. Chris shouldn't get the job, either, even though he's been reading the news on GMA for awhile. Chris just doesn't have enough of a pure journalism background (in the vein of Charles Gibson and Diane Sawyer) or backbone, for that matter, to handle the truly tough interviews. His interview last year of William Ayres was a train wreck - a performance worthy of a FOX News commentator. Give the job to someone who can be the next Charlie or Diane, and leave George here.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | October 27, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Also... signs banned at FedEx Field... This is really creepy...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The wonder was we stayed on topic for so long.

Posted by: Yoki | October 27, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeed, TBG, it seems Danny Boy's bunker mentality is starting to set in... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 27, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. I had a long afternoon of waiting followed by delightful conversation - not a bad day's work.

Catching up before going on to the next thing, hey to pfallsgirl. Thanks for the on-Kit comment! New poster? Lurker? I missed you before due to my notorious cluelessness? Whatever, welcome.

In the late seventies I had a perm. I looked just like a cocker spaniel. The photographs do not lie.

I meant, of course, that my hair made me look like a cocker spaniel. My nose was seldom if ever wet and, being the teenager I was, my tongue was often firmly in my cheek.

As Ivansdad does not frequent the Boodle I need not scruple to say that during his high school years, he unaccountably was permitted to perm his long straight locks until he had Roger Daltry hair. Once again, there is photographic proof, which has been used to astonish and mortify the Boy (the things his parents did before we had him to keep us in line!).

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 27, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

pfallsgirl, thanks for the great comment (and astute analysis of the players at GMA). You are right on. I concur with Ivansmom, great to see you here. And, um, yes, there are occasionally digressions from the topic of the day. Not that it hurts my feelings or anything!

Signed,

He Who Must Be Ignored

Posted by: joelache | October 27, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I love Dan Steinberg. And Roger Daltry hair.

Posted by: seasea1 | October 27, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Joel, Joel, Joel. Where would this blog BE if we didn't digress every once in a great while?

Posted by: slyness | October 27, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I like Dan Fogelberg. And Roger Rabbit's hair.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I like Jessica Rabbit. And her hair.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 27, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you know RD... she's just drawn that way.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I started Gail Collins' latest book this eraly evening about women, and a portion of the first chapter is devoted to women on television in the early 1960s and 1970s, which got me thinking about this Kit.

Two thoughts:

First AOL's Susman recommends eight other individuals, in addition to George, for Diane Sawyer's open coanchor slot on Good Morning America--six men and two women, one of those women a throw-away. Interesting. Is the two-woman co-anchor pairing not working?

The second thought will have to wait because dinner is ready.

Posted by: laloomis | October 27, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I liked fcrucian's comment about George Stephanopoulos and battery acid. One should keep in mind that battery acid is an important substance that leads to the release of energy capable of accomplishing useful work. Whereas the opposite of battery acid, like the opposite of George S., is base.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

You obviously have never been to the runup to the Iowa caucuses. This stuff happens EVERY DAY. With minimal effort, I bet I could find 5 worse things that Hillary or Edwards did in 2008 in Iowa alone.

Posted by: steveboyington | October 27, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I can think of something worse that Edwards did.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Let's throw around some other names. How about Campbell Brown or Anderson Cooper?

Posted by: CamachoR1 | October 27, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Just a matter of George rising to his level of incompetence.

Posted by: thrh | October 27, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The "circular resume."

Posted by: thrh | October 27, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Second thought:

Was does George really want for himself? He's been at the This Week gig for a very long time. For those who can recall, the show formerly was This Week with Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts, and the guest chairs almost always filled by Will, George and Kristol. When George took over, the format stayed the same and the game of musical chairs began--George in the host's chair and Sam and Coke filling the guests' seats, along with the perennial Will. Is George tired of the show and looking for another TV adventure? If he is, I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Should George make the move to Good Morning America, may I suggest that a woman fill his Sunday morning seat--and truly shake things up a bit. Sawyer is a late female comer to the network evening news anchor desk. Isn't it time for a woman to command a serious Sunday morning talk program? TV execs couldn't bring themselves to let Cokie handle the show solo week in and week out. Isn't there a serious female reporter/journalist capable of interviewing members of Congress, cabinet secretaries including State and Defense, the President, foreign heads of state on a Sunday morning program? Why play it safe with a continuing parade of Sunday male hosts across the major networks? Why not shake things up a bit, be a bit creative and innovative?

Also, I suggest ABC get rid of This Week's Sunday funnies, extend the roundtable. When the roundtable ends, I turn of the TV, get up out of my chair and start to prepare breakfast--never staying for the program's conclusion.

Posted by: laloomis | October 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's what we need more of on Sunday mornings...

("I can't believe this is a real show.")

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

According to Twitter, LA is apparently experiencing a blackout from the wind.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 27, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi to byoolin. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I just can't take fuzzy in the morning. I even put up with Joe Scarborough because of the cool generally serious Mika Brzezinski. I wish she and Stephanopoulos could work together. It would have the added notability as the news show with the most difficult to spell names of the anchors.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 27, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

This is *too* strange.

and this has as little to do with things as the price of tea in china

Posted by: -jack- | October 27, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

That is so strange as to be incoherent.

jack, you know I love you, but I cringed to think the GD would mess with old-school R&B/Rock n' Roll. Imagine my delight when I actually listened to it!

OK, kids, I'm out 'til I land around 6:00 tomorrow. Be good, be kind, have fun. Don't say anything interesting until I get back (ha!).

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

it has been absurdly windy here from the afternoon onwards. both arriving and leaving work, i had to shield my eyes from leaves and other flying debris when outside. the weather advisory says winds of 35 mph or greater.

Posted by: LALurker | October 28, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning! (america) (attempting to stay on topic)

Hey, funny, Keith Olbermann made fun of the George Will column of a couple days ago about Bachmann.

He sort of did the Nipper head tilt on that column like I did in boodle. When the President isn't visiting his house to get to know his friends, I guess Will gets paid to work on all sorts of important stuff.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 28, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Goood morning, everybody!

Yesterday's welcome rain has moved on, leaving lots of wet leaves on the ground. It's still cloudy but is supposed to clear off this afternoon. I poured 1.3 inches out of the gauge, which should do us for a while.

Hmm, we've had enough ham biscuits recently, how about scrambled eggs and bacon? Everything's out on the ready room table, so enjoy...

Posted by: slyness | October 28, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Jumper... I don't understand: why would anyone think Stephanopoulos is hard to spell?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

A scrambled Bacon Explosion, perhaps??? :-))))

Slyness, many thanks for passing your rain up the coast... *polite raspberry* ;-)

*Happy-Hump-Day-to-all Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

TBG.... thanks for the morning laugh!!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | October 28, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Joel,
Maureen Dowd is working your side of the street.

I thought for sure you had a trademark on all columns about mancaves.

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | October 28, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I think it's a little odd that Dowd used the term "enormity" to describe the change Obama's brought by being president.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I always just spell it George Snuffleupagus.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Day 2 of NASA TV.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Wishful thinking?

Posted by: Mo_MoDo | October 28, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

NASA still reviewing the weather... may be in a position to launch within a half hour, but still ... looking carefully at the weather.

Posted by: russianthistle | October 28, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I am wondering if former President Bush had been as enchanted by NASA TV rather than the show 24, would we have skipped Iraq and moved on to Mars?

Posted by: russianthistle | October 28, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Did the Ares launch? Anybody got a link to a live feed? The Post doesn't seem to have one today like it did yesterday.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Looks like a 10:30 launch time, at the moment.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

So sayeth the Ares Launch Blog, 'Mudge:

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It's been set back again.

"Launch of the Ares I-X rocket now is set for 11 a.m. EDT"

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

For all runners or people who hate running...

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

11:08, now...

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now 11:20...

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

11:30, perhaps?

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

new kit!

Posted by: km2bar | October 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh no - George, don't do it - those morning shows are obnoxious! I wish you were taking over Gibson's job!

Posted by: lsanthem | October 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse