Christmas at the White House

IMG_0081.JPG

I took a tour of the White House on Friday night and didn't once spill my drink on a rug or break any furniture. It's the kind of house where you worry about causing damage. It's your rich grandma's house. I'm rough on material things, like clothes and houses. I can cause a vase to shatter even at a distance. Routinely I go into a house and think, "Uh-oh, no red wine tonight." Because of the stainage.

IMG_0004.JPG

The Treasury building. Administration officials spent 3 months in a strategic decoration review before deciding to go ahead and use last year's jumbo Christmas ribbon.

IMG_0042.JPG

The White Chocolate House. Look closely and you can peek into a little room. There's even a tiny vegetable garden. All told, one trillion calories.

IMG_0029.JPG

Typical bloated government Christmas tree that's too big for the frame.

IMG_0053.JPG

Live music. Classy. But I thought the Hendrix imitation went over the top when the guy burned his violin.

IMG_0018.JPG

The library. Did some browsing, tried to check out a few books, but they said no go. Later I wondered if it had been bad form to dog-ear so many pages.

IMG_0028.JPG

Lots and lots of presidential portraits on the walls. I thought it was cruel to hang Fillmore's in the loo.

IMG_0045.JPG

This looks so much like that famous painting of Kennedy looking pensive. Plagiarism?????

IMG_0001.JPG

We were in and out in less than an hour and then wandered off to Bobby Van's for a drink. I consider any visit to the White House that doesn't incite an international incident to be a great success.

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 13, 2009; 8:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free Tiger Woods
Next: Falling behind on self-loathing

Comments

Nice pictures Joel and way classy than the open house we had Friday night. We had a rubbermaid container full of ice in a drawer for refreshments, and I thought that was over the top :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | December 13, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

That last picture is beautiful. I think Joel has a career in art photography if this journalism thing doesn't work out.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry we need a cancel button so when I see the errors I make I can cancel and correct before it posts.

SCC Classier, and any other errors, need more coffee then off to celebrate MIL's birthday.

Grey rainy/freezing rain day here.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 13, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

dmd3, we knew what you meant. I think that meets the standard.

Yello, thanks for the attaboy. I took about 200-sumpin pictures, but that last shot in the kit was actually the first I took, outside the gates, with the camera poking through the fence. Something about that tree really helped the shot. Added some fill-light in the computer. And you can't miss that time of day when the WH is lit up and there's still some light in the sky.

But trust me I'll never be a real photog like, say, Linda Davidson:

Posted by: joelache | December 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I wonder if they'll let me use their water (and, um, "water closet") today. Looks like they've got an ideal number of facilities to suit my needs. Even for my laundry.

Beautiful pictures. You know, after all these years down here, I still haven't been in the WH. I'd love to see it, but my back won't let me stand for so long. I'll wait until my aging skeleton gives me its green light.

So, Shriek -- think the Lions can beat Baltimore?

*snort*

Oh, and thanks ever so for the sympaki from my fellow boodlers. I'll keep ya posted.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 13, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joel. Those are splendid pictures and you have set a high bar for this week's Vicarious Living Moment. As someone who's spilled that glass of red wine in a fancy house (oops! just a little slosh, really) I admire your accomplishment in avoiding property damage. I wonder if Sasha and Malia break off little nibbles from the White Chocolate House. You know, from the back or cornices or something.

Ack - Mudged by the Boss himself. From previous Boodle: "Thanks, RD, for the Weingarten suggestion. I don't usually stumble upon him (looking for a particular columnist would be work) but that was risible indeed."

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Oh sure, JA, go ahead and unleash a frenvy flood... :-)

And something tells me we might see a mini-Kit later today (or early tomorrow) on the AP smackdown of the "climate conspiracy" e-mails.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 13, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Now that Joel has FINALLY posted a holiday Kit, let me wish you all a merry Oklahoma-style holiday with the B.C.Clark Jewelers Christmas jingle. It started out as a holiday radio ad in 1956 and has evolved into a tradition. You can't grow up here without hearing it (and, catchy as it is, learning it). The current TV ads tend to feature motley groups of folk chorusing it apparently at random. Far-flung expatriate Okies will instantly recall it. For y'all, here's your memory jog for the day. I wish I could sing it for you, or could figure out how to link, but here's the best I can do: Go to this link. Be sure and listen to the original, with the rogue line later cut to fit shorter TV commercials.

www.bcclarkjingle.com.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

That's nice, Joel, giving us all a glimpse of the decorated White House. And I agree with yellojkt, which means I guess I disagree with you about your photographic abilities. You have a very good eye. I use your photos for background on my desktop quite often.

Good morning, Boodle. I have been keeping quiet about the war and Tiger Woods, hoping you have heard what I wasn't saying. Remember, Quakers usually don't tell you their opinion, but you can guess what it is. (I'm not a Quaker, obviously. A Quaker wouldn't make a stupid point like this, using language to draw attention to a lack of expression. It's too absurd, really, and the fact that I'm aware of the absurdity only adds yet another layer of irony. I guess I need to go out and work in my garden.)

This morning I listened to "Speaking of Faith" during my jog; the guest was Bill McKibben and the subject was global warming. Good show.

You can listen to the program or the unedited interview, or download the podcast at speakingoffaith.org. Also, here's "Climate Change Explained in Four Minutes" -- something you might want to listen to and maybe share through email:

Posted by: kbertocci | December 13, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh I-mom -- thanks. Let the blessed cheese of the season begin. In our Montana family, we would decorate to this:

Jose Feliciano's Feliz Navidad

We also had a Trini Lopez record. Cannot find a video. However, his Lemon Tree is the iconic one in my heart:

In the northern lands we take our doses of Latin bravura very seriously Keeps the thin blood warm and does not itch.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

KB -- I have several Quaker friends, one whose family was rogue in the 1770s in PA because the chose to fight in the Rev. War. We had a great conversation recently about the power of nothing: Catholics note that some of the worst sins of those of omissions
(To leave undone something I should have done or prevented pain and suffering by an action). He spoke about the power of "negative capability" to stand quietly and powerfully against evil. And, that silence did not mean inaction.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

kb,
Great to hear from you. I've been furiously posting MudgeFest to the Wiki. Thanks ever so much for taking the lead on getting that started.

I heard part of that SOF piece on NPR this morning including the four-minute explanation. I've forwarded it to my father who is a birther Dobbsian. He and I had a rather heated (so to speak) climate change discussion last week. His argument was that burning coal was good for the climate because power plant fumes, like volcanic ash, cloud the sky and keep things cool.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

yjk--save space for the Mudge oeuvre in process.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Ivansmom,

yeah, thanks A LOT for that jingle. It's going to take the combined power of Jerrods, Kay's, and Tom Shane to get that earworm out of my head.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

CqP,
It's a big internet. It'll take a while to fill it up. I'm mudge's biggest groupie and he just doesn't appreciate it.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, it will never completely leave. A little thing will poke it, and next thing you know you'll be half-remembering. I told you it was catchy.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Joel, thanks for the photos.

Being able to take great photos and shoot video will help you at the Post. If you can figure out how to clean the Post's windows while standing on one of those suspended catwalks, then I think you are solid.

I especially appreciate the last pic, as well! I now can say that I am emulating the President with my leaf raking. I suppose that I am also being green.

Posted by: russianthistle | December 13, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

-42C this morning. Just saying.

This means if I went out and got my car started (supposing that I could) the tires would be frozen and you would drive the first couple of minutes feeling the ka-thunk of the flat parts. I called my boss and said I wasn't coming in today. After about -25, the engine in my Fit isn't big enough to produce enough heat to warm the interior of the car, to say nothing of -42.

Joel, thank you for pictures of a nice warm house. Gotta appreciate central heating.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 13, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

MrJS is no longer allowed to drink red wine in the living room. He has adjusted by switching to white wine or gin martinis.

Thank you for the photos, Mr. A. I rather liked your caption under the tree photo. It's great to see pics from others' vacations, field trips and friendly gatherings.

Hmmm, any way a few snaps from the upcoming BPH might be shared?

Posted by: MsJS | December 13, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice pics Joel,I haven't been to the White house since i was in grade school.Nixon was president,but he was hiding somewhere and we never saw him.

Lately for some reason,everytime I think of the white house,I think of big-headed Martians running around with ray guns,trying to kill Jack Nicholson.

Sorry ftb,but i don't think the Lions will beat Balmer today,although with the lovely weather,and our recent Monday night nightmare,I guess anything is possible.

Glad to see the Bama back win the heisman and found it interesting that he was the first Bama player to do so.I thought "the Snake" Kenny Stabler was a heisman winner.

well off to scrub the kitchen floor,before the game

Go Ravens!!!!!

Purple with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | December 13, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I am impressed. I was in the White House in 1986, back when they used to sometimes offer extensive tours to us simple folk. One of the highlights was seeing George Schultz in tennis whites. Well, sort of a highlight.

At the time attempting to take a picture was a good way to get yourself thrown to the ground by the Secret Service folks. (There were doubtless many others.)

So that you could take so many pictures, and, as yello points out, such nice ones, is a rare opportunity.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Loved the pictures, Joel. I like the library the best, the carpet is very nice but I don't see any comfy chairs there. How does one curl up and read?

We took our annual ride to look at Christmas lights last night. We couldn't find the house that topped our "worst" list last year. We did, however, venture into the swanky part of town near the country club. OMG. The houses there are among the largest (new construction-wise) I've ever seen and alas, many of them had for sale signs. It was obvious that many had had their lights strung professionally as they were perfectly balanced and tastefully overdone. It was a shock to return to our modest little neighborhood but on the up side, our expenses are manageable. ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | December 13, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

sneaks, they ain't got no "comfy chairs" in that joint, so far as I could see. It's like an entire house of uncomfy chairs, you know?

Posted by: joelache | December 13, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the pics, Joel. Hope the Achenfamily was able to tag along. I've been to the White House, but so long ago that I have no specific memories. It sure looks festive.

ftb, hope your water comes back soon. I think that's what I hate not having the most. We've been anxious all week with the below freezing temperatures, letting the faucets drip all night, even though we've never had the pipes freeze here. dr, not sure I could deal with -45, except to curl up in a ball under an afghan.

Just got back from dropping my kiddo at the airport - easy drive on a Sunday morning - hard to see him go.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I mean, look at those bench chairs in the hallway with the LBJ and Carter portraits: How do you sack out on that? Where do you put the TV remote, just leave it resting on your belly?

Posted by: joelache | December 13, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Nice pictures inded. 'morning all.

Ouch dr, that's really bad out there. I know a few guy who have worked the big derailment in Spy Hill SK last week. They worked outside 10 days in row, the coldest day was -42C and the warmest -18C. One guy told me he's had enough cold for the year in less than 2 weeks, and he is from Winnipeg.

It's snowing here, a very gry day. Mrs. D is baking cookies again, crispy anise cookies, a first for her. She was flabbergasted that there was no butter in the recipe. But they are good, if you like anise.
I'm making a big minestrone, the soup of choice in winter.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 13, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I assume the absence of comfy chairs at the WH is like saying 'here's your hat, what's your hurry.'

I have the tubes of frosting for the gingerbread men warming up on a cookie sheet on the floor under the kitchen cabinets next to the heat vent. It was "S"'s idea - and a good one. Leaving them on the quartz countertop had made them quite stiff.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 13, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It is not -42 here, but plenty cold enough. -37 with wind. dr, I'm glad you decided to stay off the roads. Just plain dangerous.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

That's not what the library looks like. That's what the library looks like *for company*. Sort of like when you move the dining room table up against the wall, use it for the buffet when you're having a grill-fest. Normally, the libary has the big blue and green plaid sofa (yuck) with popcorn smushed under the seat cushions, bean bag chairs for the girls (juice and marker stains), and the really cool bose stereo with the even better bose headphones that the girls wouldn't even dream of touching (you know they put those away before company comes).

The shelves? Yeah, Democracy in America and the Second Treatise of Government are right about eye level. But I'll bet the Jonas Brothers and Selena Gomez dominate the lower shelves.

I'll bet there's even a basket for stray toy parts around there somewhere.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or are the White House interiors looking as if French ambassadors during the Napoleonic era provided interior decorators and lots of furnishings? I suspect FDR wouldn't recognize the place.

I don't think I've ever been in the White House. When I was in high school, the Capitol was fun--you had the run of the place, unless there was a polite no-go sign. It took me a long time to appreciate the sophistication of Latrobe's interiors for the original building. I think he had a hand in rebuilding the White House, too, but anything he did would presumably have been obliterated long ago.

The old houses on the west side of Lafayette Park make a wonderful setting for the White House. Good thing they escaped being bulldozed in the 1960s. The White House is impressive partly because it's sitting across from an old-fashioned from the urban park in its own spacious bit of countryside, looking as if its back yard goes on forever. You'd almost think the fantastic Mr. Fox lived somewhere out back, occasionally pursued by White House beagles.

Then again, my last visit was on an overcast December evening a couple of years ago. Lafayette Park must be a lot less atmospheric mid-day.
_______________________

I need to look for a full version of the AP report on the climate emails. Not that conservatives will be impressed by AP.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, how did building crews recreate the White House interiors so quickly during the Truman rebuild? All those pilasters, friezes, cornices, baseboards...

Maybe those old masons and plasterers had esoteric knowledge that's been lost, or maybe transferred to Ethan Allen (Tom Friedman has a column on sofas today).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The water came back on! I'm surprised, frankly, that it didn't take longer than it did. Apparently, there was a water main break and more people than we here were affected. That being said, however, I think I'll still wait until tomorrow to do laundry, as the water is a bit rusty right now.

And, now, on to the other indoor errands.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 13, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Fabulous photos, Joel. Thanks for sharing! I chaperoned a gifted student trip to DC when the Geekdottir was in the fifth grade. In February. We stood outside in the sleet, waiting to get in, longer than it took for us to actually tour the White House. But I do have a cool picture of the Geekdottir at the front door.

Rainy and just above freezing here. That's the worst combination for feeling cold, I think. I gotta make sure I don't leave water in the rain gauge to freeze and break it, it's new.

Posted by: slyness | December 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

sd, I keep wondering what its going to register when this system moves just a little farther east. If I guy from Winnipeg has trouble with this weather, I don't feel so bad. Meanwhile, we are up to a balmy -33. almost bearable.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 13, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"I thought the Hendrix imitation went over the top when the guy burned his violin."

In your honour, Joel, an old, old, old joke, slightly revamped:

What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle?
Nobody cares if you burn a fiddle.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I'm surpised you didn't find relics from previous administrations in those books, such as old magazine subscription cards left as bookmarks ("Guns & Ammo," "Solider of Fortune," "Mad," etc.), or gather info for an analysis of previous dogeared pages.

And thanks for not posting pics of the WH bathrooms and locations of such things as plungers and extra tp (you *know* there's going to be a Cloggage Situation during the course of the evening - it wouldn't be a Holiday Open House without one) (I think they've put the Cheney tp away for the party, too).

Finally, LiT - they rearrage the house for the holidays like everyone else does, but aren't there some couches and chairs in the living room where they leave the plastic slipcovers on, like at my Great Aunt's house?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 13, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Prairie people, my goodness, stoke the fire and etc. I remember those temps in GF, MT. The WIND, oh my squeaking dear madre dio sacred floods! Only the chinook wind is welcome.

I am thinking of the 1967 or so Christmas when my dad came home with a pale blue flocked tree. In a fit of something, he went out and bought teal glass balls -- three boxes -- to decorate.

See this Shorpy pix:

Now, imagine only the blue balls.

What are your holiday tableaux memories?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I remember once when, as a kid in Seattle, it got below freezing for, like, almost a whole week.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Canwest is reporting that dr and engelmann's city broke the record low temperature by 10 degrees this morning. -41.1 C (-58C with windchill!).

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Love the pic CP! I remember once, circa 1967, when my dad tried to flock our tree using a home flocking kit and our cannister vacuum cleaner set on reverse.

Oh, what a jolly time he had.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

RD, we've just experienced almost a week of below freezing temps - not even winter yet! And we've had a few snowflakes today - supposed to get a dusting, but you can't trust the forecasters. I'm off to the library soon to take back books that are due tomorrow - in case the snow persists.

I've never seen the appeal of flocked trees - can't imagine doing it myself. My dad used to swear a lot trying to get the tree to remain upright, using a cement block system.

This was in today's paper - 12 decorated trees in one house:

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, SeaSea. We decorate the week before but keep up until January 6. Last year, the tree stayed up until after Valentine's Day. Love looking at all trees.

The MD state tree always features some version of blue crabs as a ornament.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, a post of mine got eaten. It said that I can't imagine a minus 42 temperature. The coldest I can recall is about minus 5 Fahrenheit.

Posted by: -pj- | December 13, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Growing up we always seemed to buy our tree at night, not the best time to tell how it's really shaped. One year we got what we thought was a perfect tree. When my dad put it up and I walked in from the dining room, it looked like it was falling out the window due to a crook in the trunk 3/4 of the way up. We made sure all our visitors walked thru the dining room door to see it properly.

Then there was the year I strung popcorn and we caught the dog very delicately eating it right off the tree. (He was a very good dog!)

Posted by: badsneakers | December 13, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, MsJS, pictures are on the agenda! :-)

My visit to the WH was rather limited, being on business and all, but I get the impression that if it isn't the living quarters, the settings will bear a remarkable resemblance to your great-aunt's sitting room.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 13, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, thanks for the link to the B.C. Clark jingle. My husband, an OKC native who sings the jingle at least once every Christmas, will be thrilled to be able to bookmark it! And I'll be able to sing along when I get out our B. C. Clark Christmas plates. Great pictures, Joel, as always.

Posted by: meezermom | December 13, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

New Philadelphia, Ohio, February 1982 (?) -24 degrees F. Wind blowing around 30 mph. On a hilltop. 10 p.m. Trying to work. Electrical cord snapping like cold taffy.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 13, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

pj, you've never skied, have you?

You in for the BPH?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 13, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hiya meezermom!! *Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 13, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Owwwww! Natl. Guard armories forces to close due to budget woes...

I think I see another outlet for stimulus money... :-(

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

A few miles from me is a big old farmhouse that has about that many decorated trees inside. The people there also have about an acre of outside decorations...they use a generator to power all the lights.

The nice thing is that they encourage people to drive in to see their decorations up close.

I just today got my tree decorated. Well, part way. I didn't get to the very top...climbing on a ladder at my age scares me spitless (or something like that)
#1 son will have to do that for me.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 13, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The Kitty cats are losing 3-41 in Bawlmer if you were wondering. Gawd they inhale.

There's a real game on TV though today, for a change: Cincinnati-Minnesota.

It is snowing like on a Christmas card here, no wind to speak of and heavy snow. 2-3 in. down and more in store I'm afraid.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 13, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well-bred Southern lady and dedicated garden club member that she was, my mother generally had lovely taste in decorating, but she also had a wide frugal streak. I don't recall that we ever bought a Christmas tree.

Instead, we would go to my grandparents and tramp through the woods on the farm to find a suitable cedar. Those expeditions always occurred on cold, raw, miserable December days so that we never enjoyed the walk. We would find one that would do as quickly as possible and drag it back to the car, with luck not too far.

I always silently mourned the cutting of a tree. Nobody ever told me that cedars are weeds, trash trees, and what we took would never be missed.

So we would take the cedar home, set it up, and put the large colored lights on it. I recall bubble lights in addition to the regular big bulbs. My brother and I would do our best to put ornaments on it, but cedar limbs are light and it's not easy to keep them from falling off. We'd compensate with loads of tinsel.

How can I gently say this? Our tree looked horrible, but we didn't know any better. We enjoyed the holiday and got rid of the cedar a couple of days after Christmas, before it became a total fire hazard.

Nope, not interested in going back to those days. What we have now is much more beautiful, as well as safer.

Posted by: slyness | December 13, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I skied a few times in Pennsylvania, Scotty. Didn't like it much. -5 is probably a good springtime temp in New Hampshire.

Since it's still football season, I'm 'doubtful' for the BPH. Work is just nuts.

Posted by: -pj- | December 13, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

My pleasure, meezermom. I aim to please.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I apologize if somebody already mentioned this, but I was amused by this comment that was submitted during Chris Cillizza's chat on Friday:
- - -
Berkeley, Calif.: Dance like the photo's not tagged, love like you've never been unfriended, tweet like nobody's following.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 13, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Twice in my life The Windy City got to the -25F to -30F range. My pappy called it invigorating.

On the flip side, I was in Phoenix during a 115F to 120F spell. My flip flops stuck to the sidewalk.

Lack of comfy chairs at the WH doesn't bother me as I bring my own anyway. But Lawdy, who wants to be surrounded by portraits of dead folks you're not related to?

Since the Ewe-Ess taxpayers own the place, I think we ought to be able to get more use of it than an hour-long tour. What say we write Barack and Michelle and see if we can rent a couple of rooms for next year's BPH? See if Congress can include a few grand in their next spending bill for comfy chair rentals, dead-people-portrait removal, et. al.

Posted by: MsJS | December 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

In case you missed it in the last Boodle, I'm reposting a link for you

María Nieves Rebolledo Vila

as Bebe: Sings this song: "Malo"

Posted by: omnigood | December 13, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

And howdy to meezermom, say howdy to mrmeezer too.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi all... returned a little while ago from an impromptu trip to New York City with the kids. We wanted to see a movie that's only showing there for now. Saw the movie, met the stars (and writers and producers and directors)--all three of them.

Lots of fun and very happy to be in The City. Had lunch at an iconic Sandwich Shop. After the movie, we stayed in town long enough to see an improv show and then left NYC around midnight and drove a couple of hours south into Jersey for the rest of the night (free room using Reward points!).

All in all a great day and a great last-minute decision to go! We really need to do that more often!

Posted by: -TBG- | December 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh! And you won't believe where we stopped for coffee at Union Square!

Posted by: -TBG- | December 13, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

And the name of the movie was what, TBG??? Don't leave out the punchline, now. . . .

Oh, and the Lions are not only losing, they're completely lost . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | December 13, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

So the invasion has begun...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Can you let us know the name of the movie?

Off to make sugar cookies, from Mr seasea's mom's recipe, which makes a huge amount. Just the dough, for today.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oops... sorry! The movie was Mystery Team, created by the kids in the group Derrick Comedy...

Posted by: -TBG- | December 13, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

TBG, of course you did. Its a darn good thing that my glass was empty.

I must return to knitting now. I am hoping the last 4 rows go off without a hitch. Bridal shawl almost complete. The Groom is in transit in Frankfurt.

PJ, you just know I would fax you some cold, but I fear you will feel its fierce effects soon enough. The way I figure it, this cold will clash with something warm about midweek and someone is going to have some horrible weather. Just please don't let it be Chicago or Toronto, cause those flight centers will affect my flying on Tuesday.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 13, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday forecasts, part sun, -1c, maybe a snow flurries - think you are good dr, and have a fantastic time, my best wishes to the happy couple and safe travels to all.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 13, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

But it's not the White Christmas House!

Posted by: laloomis | December 13, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

TBG,

The original Wendy's in Dayton, Ohio also has a Tim Horton's in it. Just sayin'.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

What I want to know is where are the naked dancing men from Kabul? You mean to say that those guys from ArmorGroup were booked at another gig on Friday night? Desiree Rogers failed Obama again?

Posted by: laloomis | December 13, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wendy's purchased Tim Horton's years ago, but I believe they have become separate companies again, but do work somewhat in partnership, often in the same locations here.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 13, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I hope this works. This here is a Boodle video if ever there was one: "Symphony of Science", sampled from Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye. Y'all go look.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 13, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

dr, thanks for your generous offer. I'd tell you it's been cold here, which is relatively true, but you might seriously hurt yourself laughing and I'd hate for that to happen.

Posted by: -pj- | December 13, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Waay kewl, Ivansmom. I'm send that on to the Geekdottir, who will appreciate it.

Posted by: slyness | December 13, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I-mom, I share that with my students every year. Here is Richard Feynman playing bongos and scatting on orange juice:

The OJ part makes me think of Linus Pauling:

And, Pauling comma Linus makes me think of the other Linus. Which yields this:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I am warmed by this holiday story:

somewhere in coldest Russia young lovers wait to be reunited; meanwhile, back in another far away land, the fairy mother knits away at a gossamer bridal garment weaving mohair, angora, happy tears, common sense, thoughts of chai sugar cookies, tales of deer, elk, and rheindeer....sigh. Such a good story

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

laloomis, seems like there's plenty of blame to go around for the party crashers, and a pretty fairly good sized chunk of that blame would land directly at the Secret Service's door. Besides, this time of year, it's nine ladies dancing. With clothes on. Naked dancing men is strictly a warm-weather event.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 13, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, for you, dearie, your Blossom-sweet singing

Its Christmas in the City

Lovely light stylist: as someone once said, her voice barely reaches the attic of a doll house. Yet, what artistry can do and what jazz permits. GENIOUS!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Purely as a matter of intellectual rigor as well as pondering important current events from all possible angles, I think we need to consider the question, How much of one or both of you can be hanging out the window before you are no longer considered to be 'having sex in a car'?

(Not that I have any personal experience with that kind of wanton, depraved, suburban-raised-kid auto-erotic back-row-of-the-drive-in-theater-during-a-Richard-Widmark_double-feature-on-dollar-night behavior.)

Also, does the bed of a pickup truck count as "in" or merely "on'? What about the hood?

I shall refrain from commenting upon the exquisite excellenceness of omni and my football pickery mad skilz this week, as there are still two games left to play.

Good evening, Boodle. Had a great weekend, ate much excellent food, and saw "Julie and Julia" last night. Very cute.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Mudge -- welcome back. Tell a victual story or two.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, that's a subtitled video! Way cool. How good are the vocals/music, by the way?
From what I glean from the comments, I understand their actual voices have been artifically distorted from speech to song?

That seems a little farfetched to me.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 13, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, although it counts for naught but pride and paycheck, knowing that the Redskins have won is an unfamiliar pleasure.

'specially against the Raiders.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Mudge says

Me again. Good thing, because last week's crowing ended up ushering in a crushing defeat to TBG's mad skilz. Wouldn't want that happening again.

Welcome home you ole coot.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 13, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

RD -- Malvina's song for you: Little Boxes

But, you are not the purveyer of ticky-ticky.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

A victual story or two? I am, as always, yr obed'n't s'rv'nt, CqP.

During the "Breakfast With the Chefs" demo, we learned how to make:

Baked Brie Tatin, with Cheddar Cheese Crisps (yup, Rice Krispies in the recipe). More about the brie tatin later;

Holiday Ham and Black-eyed Pea Soup with Collard Greens;

Pecan-Dusted Catfish Filet w/ Virginia Shrimp Jambalaya Relish w/ Sweet Potato Crisps;

Ginger-bread-crusted Beef Shoulder Roast w/ Bourbon Demi-glace, Glazed Carrots and Baby Green Beans, and Yukon Gold Potato Gratin;
and a Holiday Yule Log

And as part of the demo, everyone there (200?) got a sample of every dish. "To die for" doesn't do it.

For dinner last night, our friends made a pot roast with root vegetables that was outa sight. The rooties included rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, white potatoes (small, whole), sweet potatoes, red onion, white onion, and carrots. (And celery, the only non-root.) Terrific.

They made their world-famous tomato gravy this morning. As a consequence, we willfully skipped lunch both yesterday and today.

Now, the brie tatin, which was made by Chef Brook Fitchet, who we now count upon as a friend, as we've seen/met her four times (my wife took my pix with her; she's a trip).

Here's her trick: normally a wheel of brie is about an inch or inch and a half thick, right? And when you bake it, you often get different texture from the outside to the inner wheel, which can be soupy and or cold (and if you heat it long enough so the innards are properly cooked, the outards can be burnt, over cooked, whatever. Also, brie can be pretty expensive.
Brook's brilliant solution: put the wheel in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up, then slice it in half horizontally, like a layer cake. Then use only *half* the wheel. That way you get "two" hors d'oeuvres dishes instead of one (or the other way to look at it is it costs half as much as before). Brook puts the brie wheel inside a puff pastry shell. Before "closing" it tatin-style, she spreads one of a variety of possible toppings on it: jam/jam-and-almons; carmelized onions and bacon; tomato preserves w/ pine nuts, etc. (Sorry to bring up the pine nuts; I had no discretion in the matter).

I'll be happy to pass on any of the recipes to those who wish.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

so far might be my best week (fingers crossed)

Another for you Mudgie

Como quieres que te quiera : Rosario Flores

Posted by: omnigood | December 13, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod - yes, the voices have been "pitch corrected" which is where the pitch is artificially manipulated. This is usually used to "tweak" the recorded voices of singers who aren't quite in tune. In such cases the change is so small as to not be noticeable to the casual listener.

In this video, the results are distinctly artificial sounding. Yet, it sorta works in a bizarre way.

By the way, there is a video of late pitchman Billy Mays that uses the same effect. You can probably get the gist from the rhythmic way it is edited.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

CP - thanks for that video! I love stop-motion with clay.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 13, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, caramelized onions on a thin, thrifty-sliced wheel of brie. Thank you, kind sir. THAT is what I shall take to the neighborhood solstice party next week.

WB -- the sound effect is also a synth-music technique to underscore the future-spacey-agey feel of the video -- with hip hoppy repeated syllables.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

RD -- I may have a student helper create one or two videos on the dreaded apostrophe abomination!!!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

RD -- claymation chess game

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

In that case, CqP, sharpen you pencil"

Chef Brookfield's Baked Brie Tatin

1 wheel brie
1 cup raspberry (or any other) jam
1/2 cup pecans (pieces or halves), toasted
2 sheets puff pastry
flour, for dusting
egg wash

Place wheel in freezer for about 15 minutes. Using a hot, wet knife, slice into two halves (layer cake style). Leave open and put aside.

Dust table w/flour, place on sheet of puff pastry down. Gently roll out to form more of a square than a rectangle. Place half the brie, open side up, on the pastry, Spread the jam on top and sprinkle with pecans.

Starting with one corner of the dough, pull it up over the brie, working around until it is "wrapped." [This is nearly impossible to describe with words; it means rolling and sort of twisting/furling the top edge around the wheel to make an interesting curled edge. You don't literally "wrap" the top/ 90 percent of it is open. You are just making the usual edge of a tatin.]

[Brook trimmed the dough into a circle, rather than keeping the square. With the excess dough, she rolled it up into a ball, flattened it out, used a cookie cutter to make an xmas ornament decoration -- tree, bell, star, angel, whatever you've got -- and put that in the middle of the brie.]

Place on cookie sheet, brush with egg wash. Back at 350 for about 15 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with crackers, sliced baguettes, grapes, pears, whatever.

Repeat with other half and second sheet of puff pastry, and give as gift to party hostess.

Consider instead of raspberry jame, apricot jam/preserves/marmalades w/ almonds; onions/bacon; etc.

Serves 10 to 15.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't think that's likely to happen again this week, LiT! :-) Those Mad Skilz backfired on me this week, didn't they?

At least I'm happy about the Redskins' win. They looked good, too, didn't they?

The kids came up with a recipe tonight. They wanted pot pie, so they went to the store, bought a rotisserie chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, some frozen veggies and a box of frozen puff pastry.

Put it all together in a square glass dish (the pastry was square) and basket-weaved the top layer of pastry.

Cooked at 350 for about 45 minutes and presto! Pot Pie a la G. Delicious, too.

Wilbrod... Son of G calls what they did with the voices Auto Tune; apparently that's the trade name of the technology.

He's been following Internet musicians and comics who have been doing it, say... to the news. I hope you can at least catch the idea of what they're doing here...

Posted by: -TBG- | December 13, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Will go with savory: bacon. Danke, mein netter kerl.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 13, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

That dish sounds divine, Mudge. One of my gifts for last night's Yankee swap was a pottery Brie baker, with directions to put the dish and ingredients in a cold oven, then turn it on. It was one of a couple of gifts that changed hands three times. I almost kept it for myself. I'll have to back and buy another when the store opens again in the spring.

Posted by: slyness | December 13, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the savory is the way to go to. Sweet onions, methinks? Osa or Vidalia? Bacon...or pepper bacon? Mmmmm. May have to ponder that one. Or diced ham? Mushrooms?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Brian Cox teaches Hamlet's soliloquy to a 2-year-old...

(I think my favorite part might be the little British accent.)

PS... does anyone ever sometimes absentmindedly click the "full rules" link instead of the "sign in" link?

Posted by: -TBG- | December 13, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Iggles up 14-zippio.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Yep, done that, TBG, more than once. It's startling, till I realize what I've done and back out of it.

Posted by: slyness | December 13, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Got to enjoy a Washington victory and a Dallas loss (it *is* December, after all) with the 'nukes, sausage, pepper, and onion sandwiches, an excellent Italian gravy, and some buttery scones for dessert.

All's well this evening, will check out the sciencey videos later - possibly after the Philly/NYG contest.

Looks like I'm going to lose a little more ground to Mudge this week. Skilz I got, but just not for picking games *this* week.

Meant to add earlier - I wonder which of those WH benches Steve Kroft's napped on?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 13, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I gotta tell ya, the Yukon Gold potatoes gratin may be the best I've ever had, and wouldn't have thought to do whtm this way (which is why Anthony Frank is the chef de cuisine and I am not). His recipe:

2 lbs. YG pots, peeled
1/2 lb. Gouda, shredded
1 small onion, diced and carmelized
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 cup heavy cream (yeah, I know...)
2 large eggs
Salt and fresah ground pepper, to taste

In bowl whip eggs, add cream, onions, thyme and cheese, mix thoroughly.

Butter a pie tin and preheat oven to 325.
Using a mandolin or food processor thin-slice gizmo, slice potatoes as thin as possble. Thinner the better. Add to mix and add salt and pepper to taste.

Place into buttered pie tin, bake 25-30 minutes. Top should be golden brown and potatoes tender.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I also meant to add that the men dancing in the stands at football games this time of year are in fact *not* naked.

Body paint counts.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 13, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Good grief Mudge, I'm gaining weight just reading the recipes! To change the subject for a moment, I was thinking of you and your love for the Kingston Trio yesterday while I was making gingerbread cookies. Why? Because I was listening to the KT's Christmas album, something I have done every year since I first received it from my cousin when I was 12. Of course now I have it on a CD. Anyway, I just wondered if you were familiar with this little gem.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 13, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

That would be "The Last Month of the Year" album, bad? Yes I know it, but haven't listened to it in decades. But the Booidle ought to enjoy this one by Eric Schwandt and Dave Guard (of the KT):

The Somerset Gloucestershire Wassail

Wassail, wassail, all over the town.
The cup, it is white and the ale, it is brown.
The cup, it is made of the good ashen tree
and so is the malt of the finest barley.

Oh, master and missus, are you all within?
Pray open the door and let us come in.
Oh, master and missus who sit by the fire,
pray think of the trav'lers who walk through the mire.

Oh, where is the maid with the silver hair pin
to open the door and let us come in?
Oh, master and missus, it is our desire,
a good loaf and cheese and a toast by the fire.

There was an old man and he had an old cow
and how for to keep her, he didn't know how.
He built up a barn for to keep his cow warm
and a drop of good cider will do us no harm.

The girt dog of Langport, he burnt his long tail
and this is the night we go singing wassail.
Oh, master and missus, now we must be gone.
Bless all in this house until we come again.
Bless all in this house 'till we come again!

And the title song is great, too.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Upon Further Review, a couple of other things I forgot to mention.

First was that rarely does anything good ever come of my dancing naked. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did it.

If I don't wear anything, there's no good place for anyone to affix dollar bills.

And besides, I don't like having to get out of my zone and off of my choreography to turn around and tell folks "No, that is *not* a coin slot."

The other thing I had forgotten to mention was that Scottynuke provided his yummy spicy sour cream and cheese dip (at least, that's what I think it is). I think we ate about a half-gallon of that.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 13, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

bacon, caramelized onions and gooey brie? I'm there.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Ah! but the brie isn't gooey using the half slice method. Very firm.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 13, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, hot brie, then.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

mudge,
That sure sounds like a good weekend of eating. I am deeply frenvious. Brie is the cheese I like the least (which is not too big of a slam), but the potato gratin recipe has me salivating.

bc,
Body paint has counted as clothing in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue for years. No reason the same rules shouldn't apply to beer-bellied guys in freezing weather. How dark does the olive oil have to be to count? I suspect EVOO just doesn't cut it.

Excessive Auto-Tuning has been a criticism of Glee. The voices are just a little too crisp. Jay-Z has weighed in on the issue:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Stuart McLean had a piece about the Huron Carol on his show today:
(not sure if today's show is available yet, or ever)

I find autotune annoying - Cher used it years ago on Believe - but things like Autotune the News are kind of funny.

Mudge, your weekend sounded delicious...

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Here's a much funnier video both illustrating and spoofing Autotune.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Dang bc you beat me to the men at football games dancing semi naked.I watched the Montana vs applachian state game yesterday and there was a good bit of bare chested men attending.Great conditions too, 15 degrees with wind and snow. But they sure grow those Montana boys into burely men early.

Coldest I have been in was -14 with 40 mph winds in the winter of 77. We were staying in a primitive cabin in Shenendoah national park.So cold we had to thaw our beer in luke warm water on a wood stove.But I was young and dumb then,much wiser now.

I recall going to a Ravens game a few years back,MNF vs New England,brrrrrrrrrrr that game was.I was supposedly much wiser then.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | December 13, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Bob Dylan uses Auto Tune these days.

Posted by: -pj- | December 13, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Bad technology, then, yello?

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Great links tonight, CqP. Little Boxes is the theme song to Weeds. In the second and third seasons, they had a different artist do a cover version each episode. Some really interesting choices including Engelbert Humperdinck, Elvis Costello, Randy Newman, Death Cab For Cutie, and Kate and Anna McGarrigle for the Québécois.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone seen any meteors yet? Halftime yano.

Posted by: bh72 | December 13, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

RD, I once visited Seattle's Washington Park Arboretum and checked at the office to find the location of a rare Florida conifer in their collection, from the Apalachicola River bluffs west of Tallahassee.

They were quite proud that the beautiful little tree had survived temperatures a bit below zero. I then pointed out that it gets colder in Tallahassee.

Temperature is a relative thing. I didn't much like my one winter in Athens, Georgia, where they seemed to have thunderstorms at near-freezing temperatures. The next winter was the coldest on record in Wyoming, so cold that the town's water mains began freezing, sending floods of quick-freezing water into the streets. The problem was finessed by connecting 50 degree output water from the sugar beet plant to the town's water input.

I liked dry, fluffy snow much more than the ice cream kind.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 13, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Weeds has great music:

Yoki,
Every musical technology is bad when overdone. Think bad disco music or some of the screechier Olivia Newton John songs from when the Aural Exciter was the product of the day. Since Autotune or its clones are available as a download, anybody with GarageBand can be a hip-hop producer. Just another way to make mediocre singers sound better.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry yellojkt. I was making a little joke about Dylan's singing, which clearly fell flat.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

pj, I knew there had to be a reason I smile every time I hear Dylan.

Posted by: nellie4 | December 13, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

this post dates the time I used to watch this fellow on the UHF. Martooni would get this.

Posted by: -jack- | December 13, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I liked the joke, Yoki.

Posted by: -pj- | December 13, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks pj. It was for you.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

yoki.

Posted by: -jack- | December 13, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

From the WaPo Omsbudsman column about the viral "911 Is A Joke" kerfuffle (the 9/11 mistake was made by a copy editor, not the reporter), there is this line:

"The Post, which contrary to popular belief is not run by a bunch of old Harvard-educated white men"

Yes, indeed. Many of them went to Princeton.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

and to think the 49ers could have taken Deshan Jackson in the draft

Posted by: bh72 | December 13, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

jack

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Imagine how Bobby Z would sound without Autotune.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

this has put some folks off. obviously for lack of a sense of humour.

Posted by: -jack- | December 13, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

jkt, I thought it was Yale. That's the line given me who got "inside."

Posted by: russianthistle | December 13, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of ombudsmen, John Harwood asked of me directions to the Apple Store today.

Gheorghe Muresan didn't.

Posted by: russianthistle | December 13, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought pj was joking too. Dylan using Autotune - how can you tell? I bet the software goes nuts.

I remember when the Little Boxes song came out. I now live in tract housing built in about 1947 - little boxes. A young relative of mine proclaimed when he visited, "The original suburbia!" But they're actually pretty sturdy little places.

I've been meaning to watch Weeds on DVD. Maybe I'll tackle it when I get through The Wire.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

CqP, the young lovers are going to like your version of their story. They will *heart* you as much as I do.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 13, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

McClatchy Takes on the SEC’s “Too Big to Punish”

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 13, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

dr, hope your trip, etc goes well. What an adventure!

Posted by: seasea1 | December 13, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I suggest that those BPHing tomorrow toast the happy couple in Kiev. That will send dr well on her way.

Posted by: Yoki | December 13, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't know about Yalies, but Tigers at WaPo include:

Carlos E. Lozada
Robin Givhans
Barton Gellman
And some other guy I can't quite recall.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

jack,
Great video. An epic defenestration (my favorite word) at the end.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

My best wishes to the happy bride and groom.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

pj, I thought I posted a "thanks for the laugh" comment after your 10:15 PM, but my browser locked up.

No meteors here; we're all socked in.

Speaking of spectacular displays, I'm still amused by Andy Reid's jumping back bump with Deshaun Jackson celebrating a 2-point conversion. Good to see a NFL Head Coach that happy, even if he just signed a nice new contract.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 13, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

And what is Linda Davidson doing in Australia? isn't that Joel's beat?

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Weird Al explains AutoTune:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 13, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Take that new york.
Clouds came in here too. No meteors. My wife saw one last night while we were driveing home from dinner.
During the breaks in the action been christening my birthday present ten inch Wusthof bread knife on a nice loaf of NYT no kneed sourdough that came out of the oven at half time. That sucker goes through the thick crusty loaf like a hot knife thru butter.

Posted by: bh72 | December 14, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Darn it all! bh72 has no-knead bread and a Wusthoff. *Envious*

Posted by: Yoki | December 14, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

and soft butter

Posted by: bh72 | December 14, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

and sharing a bottle of 3 for ten red

Posted by: bh72 | December 14, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

gee, thanks, bh, I'm glad to know that.

Posted by: Yoki | December 14, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, raising a toast for dr at the BPH is perfect. I meant to toast the Boodle when we had lunch, but I guess we did that implicitly.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 14, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Now I've got to go find some cheese and stuff for a snack. We had french toast made from stale homemade bread for dinner, which was great, but all this food talk has made me ravenous.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 14, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Iggles win it. Looks like everyone got that right.

And bc, you're not only falling behind Mudge, I be creeping up

So watch yo back

Posted by: omnigood | December 14, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Is it a defenestration if the defenestree isn't pushed?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 14, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Yes. One can defenestrate oneself. All that counts, is, the breaking of the window and the falling of the corpus.

Posted by: Yoki | December 14, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

i'm not sure if even pushing qualifies

dictionary says thrown

Posted by: omnigood | December 14, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

i think i just found an easter egg on my 'Serenity' DVD

the making of the visual part of the fruity bar commercial

Posted by: omnigood | December 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

'bye darlin' Boodle. I'm going for dental surgery tomorrow (I don't even like going for cleanings). Scared!

Posted by: Yoki | December 14, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful pictures, Joel.

RD, you and I probably met in the White House in 1986!!! I was there on a foster-a-foreign-student-over-Christmas programme and one of the activities was a White House tour. I really enjoyed it. I had to refrain from feeling the upholsteries and curtains.

bh72, thanks for the deep-drilling-project link on the previous boodle.

Yoki, hope everything goes well for dental surgery tomorrow.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 14, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

MsJS said : What say we write Barack and Michelle and see if we can rent a couple of rooms for next year's BPH?

Please keep me updated because if you guys are having BPH at the WH next year, I’m coming. I’ll beg, borrow or steal money for the air-fare.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 14, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Early spring 1986, my roommate, 3 of her friends and I went to St Louis, MO, to watch the musical Gigi. After the show, on the way to my roommate’s friend’s place to spend the night, her car just stalled in the middle of a busy street. She had forgotten to put antifreeze in her car and there was very little petrol in the tank. We sat in the car hoping the police would come soon because everybody was honking at us. And we were freezing. All of us were dressed for spring and didn’t expect a wind chill of -20. It was one of those freak spring weather. After what seemed like forever, the police came and gave us a ride to my roommate’s friend’s place.

After that every chance I get, I’ll tell people I’ve been in a police car and then don’t continue to explain why I had been in a police car until I’m asked why.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 14, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Ah, well, there's the problem right there, rainforest. Your friend had petrol in her car. If she'd have stuck with gasoline it would have worked much better.

Best of luck, Yoki. I always get the laughing gas, even for a routine cleaning.

'Morning, Boodle. Yes, Igs. Yup, bc, ol' omni is a sneakin' up on yah.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 14, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

The things I learn in this place! Enjoyed the Weird Al explanation of AutoTune.

Yoki, I hope everything goes well with your procedure today, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Morning, all, and happy Monday. You too, Cassandra!

Cool and foggy in the Carolinas, but no rain forecast today. Time to get moving, if I plan to walk on my normal schedule.

Posted by: slyness | December 14, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

One of my goals in life is to become so unaccustomed to cold that the difference between 0 and -15F is no longer detectable. It is a crying shame when 0 feels warm.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 14, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Happy BPH Monday you mean, Slyness... :-)

Actually, bc, that was sour cream, salsa and "Mexican" shredded cheese with some taco seasoning thrown in. No-fuss no-muss goodness! And you do do a mean sausage and peppers, dude.

Not only did NukeSpouse and I partake of the late afternoon games with bc, we also enjoyed the president's interview on "60 Minutes." How anyone with a brain could watch that and fail to conclude the president's one sharp fellow is beyond me. He even laughed through a "gatecrashers" mention. And I would think PM Berlusconi would much prefer to be dealing with similar questions this morning. Hope his nose heals properly. :-O

*counting-the-minutes-'til-this-afternoon Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and I really liked that "We Are All Connected" AutoTuned effort. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, thank you. May your surgery go perfectly well. May he give you something that takes you to the happy place.

I'm starting to get really excited. Jumpy. Nervous. All those hours in a little tube in the sky....worried. I'll get over it.

and just a wee bit of goofy. Do watch it all the way through. It just keeps getting goofier.

the enntry Yippee Ochai Ay

Posted by: --dr-- | December 14, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Curse you, yellojkt, the "know your meme" series is devouring my morning. Dramatic prairie dog indeed.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 14, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

dr, have a wonderful time, it's an experience you'll remember forever! Best wishes to the bride and groom.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 14, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful wedding, dr! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Posted by: slyness | December 14, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

For those of you less experienced with cold weather, this is what it looks like in my area on those rare days when it is really, really cold. I did not take these pictures, they are way better than I ever cold, the time lapse movie is quite good as well.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 14, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

dr's travelin' today on a plane
I can see the red tail lights headin' for Kiev
Oh, and I can see dr wavin' goodbye
Gee it looks like dr, must be those hard clouds in my eye...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Just a brief fly-by before gingerly diving into work to wish Yoki ever so much luck and all for her dental surgery. *faxing good karma with enough laughing gas to make it worthwhile*.

And dr, have a fabulous time. Don't forget to eat some chicken Kiev (with all the butter dripping from your chin). If you can't get it over there (strangely enough), do accept a fax of same from all of us who can't get enough of it (theoretically from me, of course).

Did my laundry first thing this morning, as I missed it yesterday due to, well, no water. Funny -- as I was walking in the lobby yesterday morning past the laundry room, there were two machines going. With no water.

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | December 14, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

have a safe trip, dr. Congratulations, and please pass along the bestest boodle wishes to the bride and groom.

Posted by: -jack- | December 14, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Our cold front is here. It was 46 (F) at 6:30 this morning. Now, three hours later, it is 30 (F). Ack. Well, at least we have a vicious north wind.

good luck to Yoki with dental surgery.

And safe travels to dr, headed for such a joyful occasion.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 14, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Glee" makes the cut:

`Precious,' `Up,' `Hangover' make AFI top-10 list

The Associated Press
Monday, December 14, 2009 6:54 AM

LOS ANGELES -- The dramas "Precious" and "The Hurt Locker," the comedies "Up in the Air" and "The Hangover" and the animated tales "Up" and "Coraline" are among the top-10 movies of the year chosen by the American Film Institute.

Also on the AFI's list are the dramas "The Messenger," "A Serious Man," "A Single Man" and "Sugar."

Unlike other film honors, the institute does not rank films or pick one as the year's best. The filmmakers behind the top-10 choices will be honored at a luncheon Jan. 15.

The AFI also picked its top-10 TV programs of the year: "The Big Bang Theory," "Big Love," "Friday Night Lights," "Glee," "Mad Men," "Modern Family," "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency," "Nurse Jackie," "Party Down" and "True Blood."

I like FNL, have watched from the beginning--but that has to be the best unwatched show on TV.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I am sore grieved a dr's plight...so much so that the muse lady came and sat with me a while this mornin' whilst I composed her a little song

and it goes

a little somethin'

like this:

DR's Lament

All my veils are packed, the temp’s near zero
I'm standin' here in foot-deep snow
I hate to wake the sled dogs to get a ride

But the dawn is breakin', the chai tea’s spiced
The airplane’s waitin', the wings de-iced
Already I'm so nervous, I hate to fly

So ticket me and check me in
Tell the pilot I'm all buckled in
Hold on like you know where you want to go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
Flyin’ all the way to the Ukraine
Oh, Kiev, I hate your snow

There's not many times you’ve let me fly
Not many times I've been in the sky
I'll tell you now, they don't mean a thing

Every place I go, I drive a car
Every song I sing, it’s in my car
When I come back I'll get my oil changed

So ticket me and belt me in
My tray’s upright in correct position
My carry-on's in the overhead

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
For some hellhole in the Ukraine
Oh, Joel, I hate to go

Now the time has come to toodle-loodle
One more time, oh, let me Boodle
And post my thoughts and I'll be on my way

Dream about porching hours to come
When I won't have to fly alone
About the times that I won't have to say ...

Oh, ticket me and belt me in
Tell the attendant I need some gin
And a bag of peanuts for the movie show

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
They’re playin’ Paulie Shore up on the screen
Oh, crap, I hate that stupid show

And I'm leaving on a jet plane
Goin' to a wedding in the Ukraine
Oh, Joel, I have to go

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I just stumbled across the Know Your Meme video by googling autotunes. If there are more memes to explicate, I may be in trouble.

My son and I watched the entire season of 'Community' on Hulu yesterday. Twelve episodes, each one funnier than the last. Anthony Michael Hall guest stars in the Christmas episode. He is nearly unrecognizable as the Breakfast Club nerd I remember.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 14, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Most excellent, 'Mudge!

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I greet you from Phoenix, self-proclaimed "world's friendliest airport", where the WiFi is free and the shops feature desert kitsch. Hawaii is nearly 3000 miles behind me and Maryland lies in my sights. Have a good time at the BPH, all; I expect to be eating pizza with my family in the comfortable confines of the ScienceLair, with the company of the ScienceFamily and the SciencePets (most of them -- the turtle and the snake are not too cuddlesome).

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 14, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Great song. I'm going to start calling mudge the Bernie Taupin of the Boodle.

Phoenix is a nice airport. Tampa also has free wifi. More airports should.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 14, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Ohhhhhhhh, Mudge. Yew are so good at what you do. . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | December 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Clear skies, SciTim!! We'll raise a mug of wassail to ya! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I caught a brief look at GMA this morning to see how Geo. Stephanopoulous (oh, please tell me I've spelled that right) would do. I actually like that show -- much better than the Today show. I think he did very well, and the show doesn't (at least yet) appear to be as tabloid-y as Today has become. I like GMA.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 14, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Bernie Taupin is merely the Mudge of pop music. (Seniority counts, yanno.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"desert kitsch" - That's like lutefisk, but with iguana instead of cod, right?

Posted by: bobsewell | December 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Bravo Mudge, you have outdone yourself!

Posted by: badsneakers | December 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Good one Mudge!

As reported by dr, very cold here for the last few days, but apparently warming up to 0 C by Thurs.

Have a great BPH!

Posted by: engelmann | December 14, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, there are no words to convey how I felt when I read your song. It is a personal favourite of mine. When I tense up as the plane takes off I will begin to sing your song. Loudly. I will be brave.

And if, by chance, you hear about a loco person being evicted from planes in Edmonton, Chicago or Frankfurt, it will probably be me. The entire plane will wish I could sing as Ivansmom does.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 14, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It's cold enough to make the news engelmann. I just read in the local paper that the Edmonton airport recorded -46.0C/-50.8F Sunday morning. Breaking the -50F barrier makes it very, very cold.
It's not very far from the absolute record of -48.3C/-55F (January 72) either.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 14, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Is that actual temp or windchill SD, not that it would make a huge difference at that point. That is in the realm of temperatures I cannot fathom.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 14, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I recall ice fog in Wyoming, but that was due to the nearby beet sugar plant.

Palms in the yard are unfurling new leaves. Each represents a lot of investment and a long period of development. Some make impressive spikes before they unfurl, a narrow cylinder somehow becoming a broad feather.

One species in the yard, from Queensland, has bright green spikes that unfurl brown, looking at a distance as if disaster had struck. A week or two later, the new leaf gradually turns green. For the past month, one of these palms has seemed ready to shed a yellowed old leaf; now that leaf seems to be re-greening. Weird. Leaves aren't supposed to have second lives.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 14, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The old saw about the difference in a dry cold is very true. The snow here until later in the season won't even stick together for a snowman as it's so dry.

Posted by: engelmann | December 14, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

I'm working through the computer problems here, and well, at least I can get to the Boodle.

For those of you braving the cold today, we'll be raising toasts to you at the BPH tonight (Yoki, I do hope your procedure goes well).

Speaking of the BPH tonight let me add this -- Lurkers are Welcome, so please stop by.

For those of you travelling - *Tim, dr, etc. - safe travels to you, and cherish the loving arms awaiting you at your destinations.

Gotta run, more laptop wrasslin' in store for me now.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The coldest I've ever put up with is -50 F, nearly equal to Edmonton's -46 C. It was New Years Day, a great excuse to remain indoors. Blessedly, it was the final insult of a cold spell that had begun around Thanksgiving, every night being -20 or colder. My Datsun ran only if it was -5 or better. Office was about a mile walk.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

PS Scottynuke, did you check with the kitchen at M&S to make sure they had lots of butter and a few crowbars available?

With all the success Mudge is enjoying lately in the Boodle and in the Battle for the Tiara, we're going to need those items to get his head in through the side doors, should he reverse field and decide to join us for the BPH. No way is that cabeza getting through the revolving door, that's for sure. And it's not cold enough here to count on shrinkage.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 14, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Actual recorded temps. I never believed in the windchill factor. I know that it's worse when it's windy and/or humid, I'm from Quebec city. The city along the St-Lawrence river that doesn't freeze over in winter (tides would do that). The coldest place I know is the tip of the jetty at the Bassin Louise in a windy, cold day in January. I remember ice forming on the windward side of my coat. I can't imagine what the sailors had to endure in that kind of weather, surrounder by water. Brrrrrrr.
I don't need the witchcraft involved in coming up with a number for the WF.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 14, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Nearly, ftb. Stephanopoulos. The trick is to remember that Greek never has "ous" but has "os".

-poulos is a suffix meaning son, apparently from the Latin PULLUS, meaning "fledging" or "chick".

(Pouli means bird in Greek... also male anatomical slang, if you're into phallusies).

It's just like the Greek for "Stephanson," only with fuzzy feathers.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 14, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

ftb -- sorry, but I have to tell you that the second "u" is superfluous in Stephanopoulos.

Posted by: nellie4 | December 14, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with "Snufflupagus."

Posted by: yellojkt | December 14, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Man.

Now I can't get the image out of my mind of George Stephanopoulos in a yellow chick suit and wearing an eggshell helmet, while he discusses a source he keeps calling Cheep Throat.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 14, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's a hospital which installed such powerful water filters the chlorine was removed and Legionnaire's disease grew in the water lines.

Bought some hominy for the first time ever. What this proves is, I need to make some more of my own because the stuff in the can was not too good...

At least you Northern people have some sense about what to wear to deal with cold weather. Southerners seem confused about the idea of wearing layers and won't put on enough clothes. Balaclavas are so rare here you look twice or three times when you see the rare Yankee sporting one. I have not seen a pair of galoshes in the South, and the concept of gloves inside mittens I last observed in Illinois. Granted, I don't go to the ski areas in the mountains.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 14, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Nonsense, bc. Our Person may be worshipped from afar. Thee need not be in the presence to receive the glow of Our Being.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

As always, a hearty second of bc's invitation to those who've never attended one of the Boodle get-togethers. If you can get yourself to McCormick & Schmicks (there are two Metro stations nearby, there's often street parking for the sharp-eyed & quick-reflexed, and M&S has valet parking), please stop by. It's a warm, friendly crowd (myself excluded, of course), and we'd love to see you. It doesn't even have to cost much money, as they've got a good menu of cheap eats at happy hour.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 14, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It was a hotel, not a hospital and Legionella is nearly ubiquitous, albeit at levels that are usually safe. It needs a breeding ground of stale tepid water to breed to densities harmful to life. It takes a LOT of chlorine and VERY hot water to flush it out once you have it.

The most common vector is from the shower head because you have to breath in the bacteria. Unlucky tourists and one oddly powerful filter.

My extended family calls all Florida water Gnarly Water™: It Tastes Bad, But It Won't Kill You®. We intend to bottle this sulfur-laced concoction and sell it through vending machines.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 14, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Jumper -- you mean people actually *wear* baklava? Kinda messy I would think.

Oh, wait . . . .

Thanks for all the spellings for George S. . . . .

WB, you crack me up! Still cleaning up spewed tea.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 14, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Specify the K Street M and S location, AKA where the lawyers and lobbyists hang out. My first delurking attempt was inept, meaning I arrived in the wrong lobby.

And, everyone is kind especially to the maiden voyagers.

And, regarding access to Mudge, he is my heart, yea though I walk in the valley of apostrophe abominations he is with me his pen and style sheet, they comfort me. Verily, Verily I say unto you that it is in Mudge that we live and move and have our being....WordsUp, that is our credo.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 14, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, look at what you have created you unsuspecting supplicants of the commerbunded Mudgekins.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 14, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

By His cummerbund, ye shall know Him.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 14, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

'bout damned time. Harrumph.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, you make women pregnant by your mere being, Commerbunded One?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 14, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Sd -- some costume review. The cummerbund is at the waist. You speak of another location/contraption of clothing:

I give you,
the
CODPIECE.
Cue Also Sprach Zarathustra, etc.

That means you must revise to,

Oh codpiec'ed one, which in the way olden days was spelled

codpease'ed one.

Enough with this salacious talk....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks ftb.

Along with yellojkt's crack, I'm now dwelling on the potential horrors of Yellow Bird Journalism.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope all the BPHers have a wonderful time this evening. I need a proxy to dispense hugs.

Posted by: Yoki | December 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

To change the subject: YJk, do you know anything about tankless hot water heaters? Can they be placed outside on a porch in this moderate, non Canadian climate?

I can see that "sizing" them is important for demand. Location also, as in perhaps two for a house.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

bc, M&S said the loading dock and kitchen-to-dining-room passthru are available, if necessary...

The password is "le fond bleu," of course.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

You'll have a pride of proxies, Yoki, never fear. How you doin'? *HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What a fruitless internet expedition I have been on. Here's the deal.

Corn is selling for $4.07 a bushel today (56 lbs/bushel for corn)which I make out as 7 cents per pound. I want to buy a 50 lb. sack or so. I would buy as much as 100 lbs. or as little as 25. I figure I need a fairly large amount to get any kind of bulk price. And I'll define THAT by thinking 5 to 8 TIMES the farmer's price is still okay with me. What ISN'T okay is paying 15 times as much as the farmer gets.

Online I find all sorts of websites offering to sell me corn "in bulk" for ridiculously high prices.

Where do I get corn?

I have to say I have learned all sorts of interesting things today, such as about the local flour mill right here in Charlotte I never knew about. And the phone # for the local corn maze they run in the fall.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

O
M
G

I think I've been wearing my codpiece instead of my cummerbund with my tuxedo all these years.

No wonder no one would dance with me.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

McCormick & Schmick's is at 1652 K St, NW. Valet parking begins at 5:00 and is only $7.

If George Stephanopoulos lived in Greece, his mother and sisters would be called Stephanopoulou. Females' surnames don't end in 's.'

The Greeks dropped the practice of different last names for males and females in the family when they came over here but I think it's still the common practice back in the Old Country.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 14, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So she'd be just Miley Cyru?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Jackie Kennedy Onnassu.

Mary, Queen of Scotu.

Gladys Knight and the Pipu.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I should have thought of the corn stoves first. They have a direct hookup with the Corn Mafia. Anyway, homemade hominy on the horizon.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 14, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, I am interested in a corn stove too. Is that what you are talking about? Or, do you want to have the world's biggest popcorn fest?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

And now, for something completely different, Joel has written up a new kit -- on Self Loathing of all things.

And nobody's posted as of a few minutes ago, which seems to make sense, eh?

Posted by: -ftb- | December 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse