David Finkel makes Times 10 Best list

I need to start reading again. I am ashamed to say that I read only one of the books on The New York Times Book Review 10 Best Books of 2009 list.

But it could have been worse -- I could have been skunked. And I'm glad to know that, in extolling the virtues of David Finkel's book "The Good Soldiers," I have been proved RIGHT ONCE AGAIN. [You may have noticed this pattern over time. I say something -- and it turns out to be right. Even when it's wrong it has a certain irrepressible truth.]

From Doug Stanton's review in the Times:

Finkel's central organizing idea is this: War is hell, decent men are often called to fight it, and their story is intrinsically worth telling. In this way, he is cousin to writers like John Hersey or Tim O'Brien who grapple with the raw subject of violence in war. It is curious that more literary writers haven't taken up this challenge; writing about combat is really writing about social change, made either at the end of a gun or of an idea. And often lost in the debate over war is the war within the men themselves who fight it.

Finkel has made art out of a defining moment in history. You will be able to take this book down from the shelf years from now and say: This is what happened. This is what it felt like.

Um, I also need to see more movies. I need to get out more.

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 5, 2009; 2:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Amazing Hubble space telescope fact
Next: Skins: Don't start believin'

Comments

I know just how you feel, Joel. I was *thrilled* that I'd read three of them. Sadly, not the Finkel. Yet.

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. Over at the New Yorker, Lake seems to get more respect than Denby.

I'm fortunate to live in a town where the couple-dozen-plex plays independent films and even a few foreign ones, but Denby's heavy on movies I didn't or couldn't see, or that won't arrive until January. I suppose critics in the Serious Press should be thanked for pointing out the existence of mysterious corners of reality that are invisible to most of us.

Agreeable though Mr. Fox was, I really, truly regret missing the 3-D version of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". The Spaghetti Tornado was really something.

I'm so far behind in reading books, it's becoming pathological. I'm at the point of clearing the house of books that are worthy, but unlikely to be read in the forseeable future. The neighbors with garages stuffed with boxes full of rotting stuff remind me every day not to hang onto books, even fine ones.

That said, "Flotsametrics" was the sort of book that might make your kid want to be a grad student in a field where there's a chance of being allowed to operate a large boat.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Just as there are many layers of the cosmos, there are many layers to armed conflict, which is probably why it continues to fascinate.

One of my personal favorites on the subject is Euripides' "The Trojan Women". It gets tedious in spots, but I love the perspective of the less empowered gender on the losing side. You want to talk about a social change, this is a must-read.

Posted by: MsJS | December 5, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Not a one. Just not enough hours in the day.

But I certainly know what Joel means about wanting to get our more. If only the Paparazzi were a bit less aggressive.

Sigh.

Hey, how 'bout that W&M Tribe?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I have a completely off-topic question for the Boodle (particularly those who are or have been members of the Fourth Estate. Please let me know when it would be seemly to ask it.

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. . .

When I was a kid, I really enjoyed seeing "war" movies on television, like those with Richard Widmark screaming "War is hell!" as they marched along, and (well, I *was* a kid, remember) John Wayne and that ilk.

War has always been romanticized, all the way back to millennia ago. There were battle songs and there were drums to announce one's presence (and mainly brass instruments -- no harps, I would think). That part I *never* got. If you really want to get the enemy, why on earth would you announce yourself? Maybe that's why guerrilla warfare has always been a problem for those countries (like ours in Viet Nam) that never look at other cultures through any lens other than their own.

I remember reading John Hersey's A Bell for Adano and especially Hiroshima, which may have given my dreams a somewhat nightmarish quality for a while after I turned that last page.

War is really not a game to be played, except, perhaps, with cards. So long as there are those who order others into battle ("to keep our country safe" and the other loathsome phrase "to protect our flag" when certain Hollywood types get to use flag prints (I hope not the flag itself, but I wouldn't be surprised) as articles of clothing -- the sexier, the better), there will be bloodshed and there will be psychological distress to the point of psychosis for the rest of those battlers' lives. And it is that element which has an impact on all of us in one way or another for the rest of our lives.

But not only is war hell, it is also big business. . . Indeed, it is *fine* big business. Keeps the economy rolling, you know, and it doesn't matter if the guns don't work (as in Viet Nam) or the jeeps break down. Hey, it's a gummint contract, and it really doesn't matter if a contractor can get away with charging $600 for a toilet, because the gummint *will* pay for it, and everyone will think it's the gummint's fault (sorta like blaming the victim) and not the contractor's fault.

Yeah, Richard Widmark were some fine soldier. . . . Even if he were killed in one wartime movie, he'd be back on the screen in the next one. War ain't hell after all. He made a good living, and plenty of kids grew up watching all that cool war stuff, wondering when (not if) they'd git their chance to kill someone.

Wonderful, wonderful, beautiful snow. . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm batting 1000 on the books and movies - haven't read or seen a one. The Jeannette Walls book appeals to me, and a few of the movies are on my list to see. I did see Inglourious Basterds and liked it.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I see one of our own made the list...

LIT: A Memoir
By Mary Karr

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Not Lake. Lane. Anthony Lane.

Lake and Denby both like "White Ribbon". I assume Criterion Collection's scurrying to get the DVD right.

I wonder about the world that blew up in 1914. Serbia was destroyed, only to be re-destroyed in the second war. Ottoman Empire vanished with a huge loss of life, Armenians included. Russia. My grandfather was gassed while serving the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Out of all the political entities that existed at the time, the US seems one of the most recognizable today. Perhaps something to do with Roosevelt having shaken up the country. If he'd been a bit more successful, we might even have gotten universal health insurance. At least we have his version of the White House, whose interiors were thoroughly redone by architects McKim, Mead & White.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

ftb,
Paul Fussell's books on the world wars trashed the war movies. "The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-1945" was his response to "Saving Private Ryan".

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My lifetime impression from men who have killed in war is that on one strong level it is none of the noncombatant's business what it's like. So I leave it alone.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 5, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's seemly, Yoki.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 5, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Thank you 'mudge.

On the opinions page there is a column by Feinstein about... well, it doesn't matter who it's about. The thing is, this very column was published yesterday on Slate. And while I know that Slate is an online arm of the vast empire that is Washington Post, nowhere, either on WAPO.com's main opinion page nor in the column itself, does it say that this is a reprint from another publication. Doesn't that seem a bit hinky? It may be legally permissible, but it just seems, wrong, somehow.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Aww, the snow seems to have tapered off here in Bethesda. Nice while it lasted, tho.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

0 for 10 on the books, 1 for 10 on the movies. I saw "The Hurt Locker," and liked it very much.

OK, the Feinstein column question. Yeah, I'm inclined to think the Wapo erred in not stating that Feinstein's column appeared first in Slate. But I must immediately say that I have an obvious bias, which is that I think the online editors at WaPo are utterly bereft of traditional journalism values and concepts, and for good or ill I just automatically assume they screw up, and this is an example. (I make a massive distinction between the online staff and the deadtree staff, several of whom I know and admire. I cannot conceive of any of the deadtree peeps making this omission in a thousand years.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the re-printing of a column that first appeared elsewhere, and especially in a "sister" publication. But yes, one should say so.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 5, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I read Feinstein's column yesterday on the dotcom site, Yoki. Welcome to the new world of journalism. Web site(s) and hard copies are interchangeable. I could use buzz words like "synergies" but I have a weak stomach.

That doesn't make it good, of course.

Posted by: -pj- | December 5, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nor does that other super-ugly word *tweak* pj.

Yep, time to take a shower. . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

We've still got very fine snow coming down here in Fairfax. and about 3 inches or so in the yard.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked... 2 for 10 on the movies, and here I was thinking I was just another seeker of mindless distraction in handy 2-hour chunks.

Can't believe he left "Star Trek" off.

I batter o-fer on the books, so I guess my lowbrow credentials are still intact.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

So pretty, TBG!

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

SCC: batted

And it seems the Tide is giving the Gators all they can handle in the biggest of the "Big College Game" this weekend.

And let's not discuss my alma mater's attempt to get through the quarterfinals in the FCS playoffs... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 5, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... perhaps in the newspaper world you don't reprint articles in sister publications without credit, but in the newsletter world it happens all the time.

We once even designed a new product that was a redesigned version of another one. We finished production of Newsletter One and then I reflowed the text into Newsletter Two. Same articles; two different banners.

It worked fine until our inept marketing department mistakenly used Newsletter One's mailing list to send a direct mail package advertising Newsletter Two.

Suddenly we had twice as much work to do each month.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think there are some copyright issues being at play here. The copyright owner has the exclusive right to distribute his/her/its copyrighted works under Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act. If the copyright ownership of the Slate article is owned by the same entity as the online WaPo (and maybe even the dead tree WaPo, should the same article be printed dead-tree-style) then there typically is not a problem.

Which brings me around to the pretty much wholesale copying (god forbid it should be retail, eh?) of others' works for publication within the Boodle, I gotta tell ya, it kinda makes me itch a bit. Attribution, you guys. Do it. And be careful how much you copy from someone else's work (including Boodle postings). Entire articles, as often appears in Loomis' posts, can be found to be copyright infringement. And, yes, I know all about the concept of "fair use" and there is a lot of case law finding fair use not to be in play.

And now that I have rung the bell (so to speak), I know I'll need to find something suitable to wear when I meet with the ombudsman. Mudge, what was your costume? Did you wear the clown nose and the clown shoes? Might I borrow them, perhaps?

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- one more thing for Joel to think about. Should an action for copyright infringement occur, the WaPo could be brought in as a Third Party Defendant on the basis of contributory infringement.

Yep, I'm here for a reason (and, yet, unpaid).

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Yay! I get to go for dinner! Super-safe driver will pick me up and bring me back. I say again, Yay!

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yay!

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

When having a cozy chat with the ombudsman, I always like to a adopt a somewhat kitchy south-western look, ftb. Lots of heavy silver and turquoise jewelry, a bandana or two in tribal geometric patterns, perhaps a little leather with horn buttons. You know the sort of thing.

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I think you might do best with a Scandinavian look, ftb.

Either this one... http://www.nordicfolklore.com/images/frontimage.jpg

or this one... http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/32754.jpg

or we could all go together like this...

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't find Feinstein's article on slate.com at the moment...and his wiki page says he is a Washington Post columnist. Hmmm.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 5, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear, I wonder if I am confused? I was reading both Slate and Wapo in two open windows last night.... Sorry folks. Never mind.

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of books -- some months ago I finally bought "Why Things Are Vol II" from one of Amazon's sources. Finally reached that book in my big-stack-o-books. And when I opened it, I was thrilled to see it is signed by the author!

The only problem is, it is for somebody named "Josh."

Posted by: nellie4 | December 5, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Just took the little dog out for a walk (wait, there's more to this story) and saw that the snow has taken the form of huge amorphous flakes floating leisurely to the ground. When viewed in the light of an isolated street lamp the effect was almost overwhelmingly beautiful. Such moments are to be cherished.

Oh, and the dog feels much better now.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 5, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to go with a Scandinavian motif, you might try this approach:

Authority figures, such as ombudsmans (ombudsmen? ombudspersons?) are much more sympathetic to the point of view of people like this. They tend to say "yes, sir" a lot.

Posted by: rashomon | December 5, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

*can't stop laughing* at the costume choices.

I must say that rashomon's suggestion might go well with Yoki's "little leather with horn buttons" (does that work on a, um, well, shhhhhhhhhhh (don't tell anybody) *whip*?).

I actually have one of those plastic helmets with horns somewhere. I *knew* it would come in handy . . . .

You guys crack me up!

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

ftb! I'm shocked! Really, do I look like the sort of woman who... oh wait. Never mind.

Posted by: Yoki | December 5, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

*snort* *snort* *snort*

hahahahahaha

Posted by: -ftb- | December 5, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm a perfect score on the Kit topic: 0-10 on both books and movies. I did see about 5 minutes of outtakes from "Up", along with the last three minutes or so of the film, but that hardly counts. They didn't even mention the one movie I saw this year which I thought was great: "The Informer". Boy, that was funny.

I thought today was going to be relatively easy, with one afternoon and one evening event, but it turned out to be very busy. I did manage to buy poinsettias to put in our entryway. I also dug out the wreath made from the Boy's handprints cut out of green construction paper many years ago. It's starting to look like Christmas.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Evening all, as you can expect I was o-fer on books and movies.

Busy day here, childrens pictures with Santa complete, mall trying something new this year, photos are free and entirely online, if you supply info you can be emailed a photo and video (complete with advertising before the video). First time we have ever had to wait in line, about 40 minutes, but it was fun. Eldest flat out refused to be part of the picture this year no amount of bribery would work, but there is a promise of a picture with Santa that will be done at school.

Minature gingerbread houses put together and decorated.

Big rib feast for supper, a great day.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

More bits of bad copy-editing: In the caption to one of the photos accompanying Faiola and Eilperin's article on the Netherlands' approach to dealing with global warming:

"In Amsterdam, a network of canals, dikes and levies winds through the downtown..."

I believe they mean levees (or, if one is picky, levées) = high-walled waterways, rather than taxes. Although the Netherlands is reputed to have an active levy system, as well.

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 5, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I have now noticed that they spell it "levy" in all the captions.

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 5, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The canals don't really wind, either. They take hard turns like city street corners.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 5, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess they paid for the canals and dikes with taxes.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 5, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they meant "levies" as in "conscripts." I can see it now -- an army of Dutch draftees, using faked global warming science as an excuse to institute a world government. Fanning out to take our SUVs, incandescent light bulbs and electric appliances, and replace our coal-fired power plants with windmills.

Oh, sure, you say I'm paranoid now, but you won't be laughing when we all wake up wearing wooden shoes.

Posted by: rashomon | December 5, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

They grow too fast dmd.

I have seen none of the movies and read none of the books. I think there are only a couple of either that I have seen or read reviews of.

I probably should worry about my stick in the mud tendencies but ya know...I'm not going to let that happen. Too many real things to worry about.

Besides the books have to come out on an audible format and my library needs to bring them in and the movies must go to the previously viewed pile.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 5, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

RD-P:
Your word picture of the snow under the street lamp is lovely. It's the little joys such as that that can be so important in our lives.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 5, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Watching a cheesy movie about "The National Tree", dad and son bond while travelling across the country to deliver a new national tree to the White House, eighties star Andrew McCarthy is the headliner and it is filmed in Canada - think I even recognized a couple of places, definitely recognized the Canadian actors.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 5, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Sci Tim, from a previous boodle, I like your idea on the interior lives of our ancient ancestors. Our proclivity for abstract thinking comes from somewhere.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 5, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Out and about with the kids this evening, braving in the snow and slush to attend a showing of "The Nutcracker". A fine time was had by all.

It's going to get interesting round these parts later, when everything freezes.

I'm not sure I like what it says about me that I've seen several of the top 10 movies, yet not read any of the books (though I've cast covetous eye on a couple of them).

Now, I've got a tune cootie on the brain -

"If it keeps on rainin'
levee's going to break..."

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 5, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

And here I was thinking about a Chevy...

Posted by: LostInThought | December 5, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Yup filmed in Toronto and Hamilton no wonder some place were familiar!

Posted by: dmd3 | December 5, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

To answer the question asked of me, I wore to the ombudsman's office a powder-blue button-down hairshirt, plus my sackcloth and ashes.

SciTim, it is my belief that you correctly spotted a line of bad copy editing, but I think you mis-identified the the incorrect words. Actually "levies" was the correct word," although it should have been capitalized. The sentence in question actually referred to a common practice of the Dutch to parade through the streets groups of plotting conspiracy theorists, lesb1ans, and Jews name Levy or Levi (Eugene Levy, Primo Levi, etc.). These groups of people are often in cahoots with each other, as often alleged, and have a long-established interconnective system of communications (a "network" to you laymen). Hence, the fragment *should* have said, "In Amsterdam, a network of cabals, dy kes and Levies winds through the downtown..."

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 5, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Trader Joe's has a "Burgundy Pepper Boneless Lamb Leg" in their current holiday guide, and it is good. Each is about 2.5 or so pounds. The two of us ate most of it in two meals -- one just sliced lamb, one in a hash.

TJ says to cook it covered in a 325 oven -- I ended up with it in an open pan at a bit higher heat. Lovely stuff.

Posted by: nellie4 | December 5, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seasea1 | December 5, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought Levy sold cartoon balloons in town. No wait. That's Levon.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 5, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Manon for that very kind compliment!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 5, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

We saw 'Up' but no other movies and I've read none of the books altho' I did write them down so I can look for them at the library.

Had fun in P-town but the weather was nasty - a very cold rain fell most of the day. Got a few little stocking stuffer gifts that were fun like the fuzzy bat refrigerator magnet for #2 - she'll love it.

Speaking of movies we don't see, we just watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding (better late than never) and it was wonderful.

We have the local high school super bowls on TV here. They're playing at Gillette Stadium and it is snowing like crazy there, must be 3 or 4 inches. I don't know how they are seeing the field markers.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 5, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I saw 'Up', but I missed seeing it in 3D. I think it would have been glorious.

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 5, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Mudge:
Thanks for the good-laugh-out loud moment.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 5, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Most excellent Elton John quote LiT.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 5, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Appalachian scored a touchdown with ten seconds left on the clock, to go ahead of Richmond, 35-31. Mr. T will go to bed happy. Exhausted from the drama, but happy.

Thank heavens. Carolina lost this afternoon, so ASU's win makes it not a totally lost day. He tells me that next week Appalachian plays Montana in Missoula. Yeouch.

Geekdottir and I went to a concert so we missed most of the drama. I love Christmas music! One of the pieces was a Nigerian carol, energetic and fun.

All the decorations are up, inside and out. I will try to take pictures worth posting. I'd love to see what others do, too.

Posted by: slyness | December 5, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Just stepped outside to let the dog out before I go to bed, and saw something race across the sky. Think it might have been a meteor, it was so fast hard to tell but very cool.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Magic nights. RD_Padouk spoke of flakes in light. dmd saw *something.* We all, a Kit ago, spoke of Wow.

I was talking, last night, to a dear friend, about a transformative moment I had witnessed, and what a privilege it was to see.

I think the thing is, we have to be open to see, to observe. All these moments are fleeting, but if we notice, we remember. It makes us better able to see the next one.

Sort of like Weingarten's violin experiment. Do we make time to notice the great things?

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

it was Santa. checking his list twice.

Posted by: -jack- | December 6, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

That was beautiful Yoki, I try really hard to appreciate those Wow moments, life it good if there are still small things that can take your breath away.

Middle child is at that age when belief in Santa will very soon end, she was hesitant to see the store Santa as "he's a fake". Reminding her he works for the real guy helped, after she mentioned that this Santa seemed real, not like some of the fake store Santa, I said perhaps the real one pops into stores from time to time just to interact with some children. However brief that belief will be she had her Wow moment of the day.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, that's right, it is good to be able to take the time and be open to the world. I tried to do that when I was busy working, and I'm much more able now that I'm not.

dmd, you handled the Santa moment well. I remember when I was in kindergarten, my dad played Santa at my school. I knew it was him, and he was dismayed when he realized that. But I kept believing in Santa for a few more years - I believed the bit about his helpers. When my mom was a kid, her grandfather would dress up as Santa, and then her mother and aunts would chase him out of the house, as if he was a burglar. It traumatized her at the time.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 6, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Thank you dear friends.

I put a lot of psychic energy into seeing the beautiful. Whether Art or Nature, Cosmos, or physical.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

TWICE?! dang...

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 6, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

No no.

Chequing it twice.

Check your credit-card statement. I say nothing about Santa's honesty...

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Wondered if this "identify the artist" game is worth playing

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 6, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

What am I to do when my heart is broken?

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I know! Be sharp.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I inherited 2 boxes of books from a friend of a friend. It’ll take me forever to get through all of them because I’m a pitifully slow reader.

Ten years ago today, my second oldest sister passed away. She fought all her illness courageously but lost the battle in the end. She started having heart problems at the age of 9. At 18 she had her 1st heart surgery. After her second heart surgery at 28, her doctor neglected to review her medical records and continued her antibiotic prescription for over a year. She wasn’t in a pretty state for awhile. Later (not because of the antibiotic) she lost 100% of her hearing in 1 ear and 80% in the other ear. She had 2 mastectomies. She became diabetic. When she learned she had liver cancer, she made a choice to not be cut up again, so she died of it. I think her a lot.

Growing up, I have never been beaten by anyone in the family except her, once. I was around 9 years old playing in my neighbour’s front yard. She called and wanted me to return home to do my home work. I didn’t return immediately, instead I went home ½ hr later. When I got home, she scolded me. I was angry at being scolded, but I wasn’t allowed to answer back (I wasn’t allowed to answer back anyone older than me. That’s 9 people in the family! Talk about suppressed anger.) So I did a stupid thing. I spat on the chair – a rattan chair. She whacked me with my school ruler and made me wash the chair. It being a rattan chair was difficult to wash.

That was a double whammy.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 6, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Yes. I know.

Rainforest.

Shriven. Forgiven. For being the younger child.

Love love,
Yoki

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

I should know better than to be bringing coffee to mouth when reading 'Mudge first thing in the morning. *LOL*

ftb, since we all contribute so many of our own copyrighted thoughts here, I think it all balances out.

JA, perhaps you can take some solace in knowing the Gators still have a shot at the title if they beat the Horned Frogs or the Bearcats. They're doing better than the Wildcats, for sure. *SIGH*

And RIP Barrel Man...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh my, almost forgot...

*salting-the-sidewalk-and-enjoying-the-moonlit-tableau Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Interesting opinion piece today on prodding Congress to "go green:"

But Mr. Tidwell loses me here:

"Demand a carbon-cap bill that mandates the number 350. That's the level of carbon pollution scientists say we must limit ourselves to: 350 parts per million of CO2 in the air. If we can stabilize the atmosphere at that number in coming decades, we should be able to avoid the worst-case scenario and preserve a planet similar to the one human civilization developed on. To get there, America will need to make deep but achievable pollution cuts well before 2020. And to protect against energy price shocks during this transition, Congress must include a system of direct rebates to consumers, paid for by auctioning permit fees to the dirty-energy companies that continue to pollute our sky."

Hmmm. "I have a pretty strict near-term demand, but I won't bother to suggest how you should meet it (or mention possible societal impacts). Oh, and don't make me pay too much for it, TYVM."

I have no problem with people calling for "deep but acheivable cuts," or even my haveing to pay more for them, as long as people are honest about everything that would entail. And just where does Mr. Tidwell think the "dirty energy" companies would get the money to pay the permit fees? Will he ask Congress to mandate a matching decrease in those companies' profits? *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the early-morning Boodlehogging, but I just have to *headdesk* a few times here:

Ai chihuahua...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Everyone and hopefully when my work relief gets here.....good night.

Yesterdays games were fun to watch....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | December 6, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

OK, so I'm not all that sorry...

Check out this very Boodle-friendly Bard/sci-fi convergence:

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all, and good night GWE, it's nice to see you here, even briefly. We watched the Crimson Tide win yesterday. (Sorry JA) (Well, it WAS snowing here, ya know.) Normally it takes a VA TECH game to entertain me, but college football IS so much more full of energy than the pros, to my way of thinking/viewing/stewing.

Haven't read best 10 books or seen best 10 movies, but I'll read some of the books when Christmas is past. HBO may provide some of the movies, eventually.

If you love Brubek music, you might enjoy this article about him:

He will celebrate his 89th birthday when he receives his Kennedy Center Award. He and the quartet are still doing gigs in clubs and concerts. I have heard him in concert, so rare....so rare....so rare.

Posted by: VintageLady | December 6, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Mudge, LOL. Those Dutch are a weird bunch.
A fine cold morning welcomed us again this morning. When the snow comes it will stay as the ground will be frozen.
Scotty, this one was the real headscratcher in the Philadelphia story:
"I am a Christian, and my religion prohibits me from receiving vaccines," Huh?
I've got to get moving. There is a very large puppy in need of a walk, a christmas tree in need of lights and a minivan that needs its winter tires installed before the first snow.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Music to accompany VintageLady's article

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

VL - My brother-in-law lives-and-breaths 'bama football. Yep, they say that if you cut him he actually bleeds crimson.

Anyway...

I was also delighted to see that Dave Brubeck is being awarded. My son is a huge fan, which demonstrates that Brubeck's music isn't going anywhere soon.

Crunchy crunch goes the boots on the snow this morning.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 6, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Need snow pics people, I have forgotten what it looks like, I should not get too smug it is headed this way mid week.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. A bright, sunny day here -- but had to abandon going to my company's Christmas party last night. It was 90 minutes away (in good traffic and weather), plus the Wilson Bridge was blocked up and bypassing it meant another 20 or 30 minutes, plus we had an inch or more of very wet, very frozen yuck, and they had about 3 inches over there. So we decided to stay home and eat salmon and drink wine. I feel bad for my company, which I'm sure spent a lot of money on the party, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who bagged it.

Splurged myself this morning: went to Einstein Bros. and had a lox and bagel with "the works." And a 24-ounce coffee from 7-11. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Now, must write the annual Curmudgeon family xmas letter. Yes, we are one of "those." My wife has forced me to do this year after year. (One year it went to 8 pages. You guys are probably aware that I tend to write long.)

Bring on the football! O wouldst that bc's insane Redskins prediction comes true! I heartily wish it to be. But my money's the other way.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Jumper, did I correctly identify the artist?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. Got my picks in, and while they may seem to be a bit loopy, I had to go out on a limb a couple of times in an effort to gain a few points, catch up. Besides, I've got some new shoes, and the tiara would be the perfect accoutrement.

Off to the big city (pop 18,000) for some light shopping. Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 6, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, just because I made an insane prediction does not mean I'm wrong. Besides, if I'm going to catch you for the Season Tiara, I'm going to see if I can zig while you're zagging (we've been in lockstep lately, haven't we?)

It's a beautiful icy morning here, sun glistening off of everything. Went out on the road this AM (hey, had to get a hardcopy of this weeks WP Magazine, y'know?), and had a couple of laughing 'whee' World Rally Championship moments with the car sliding on the icy patches (made sure there was a dry spot on the other side to gather it back up).

I'll be doing more digging of sidewalks and things later.

- BB

Posted by: -bc- | December 6, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Heck, I'm just hoping that little gremlin that keeps switching my picks decides to take today off...

*watching the beginnings of some corn/chicken chowdah come together* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Just to distinguish, Snuke, the Boodlers' postings are one thing -- especially if *we* are the original authors of our own works (i.e., the postings), but it's another thing altogether if we are taking others' works (presumably already published somewhere else, like, for example, a newspaper) and print it again here.

It's fine to take a small portion upon which to make comments, but to take an entire article is *not* excusable, nor is it fair use and it *is* copyright infringement.

The sides don't quite meet up to present a balanced equation.

Nevertheless, one should not shut everything down due to the actions of a few, nor do I presume to do so. Nor do I want to. I truly love this Boodle, and feel quite at home here. The people are good, the food is fantastic and the Bunker is quite lovely. I really love what Mudge has done with (or, alternatively, to) the lampshades.

Merely wished to elucidate.

Woke up with a very, very sore shoulder and couldn't figure out what I'd done. Took some Advil after breakfast, and then came upon a thought. In PT late Friday, we did one of my favorite exercises (the pullover -- lay down on bench and pull weight over head as far behind as one can go. I'm very flexible upper body and can get down to the floor behind my head) -- and it was only a 3-pound weight (I have a tendency to get tendonitis in that shoulder). Did a couple of sets and everything was fine -- until this morning. Hmmmmmm (*taking notes and thankful that I'm right handed*).

Boring? Why, yes. Something to fill in a space for others to read or ignore? *priceless*

The snow still looks pretty and sparkling in the sunshine. Have a great day, all.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

For you dmd, but only because I like you. It is cold out there after all these last weeks of relative warmth.

There won't be any sparkling snow here today unless all this strong wind decides to blow over and leave us with a crisp winters day.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 6, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

No snow here but we may have rain later. We have yet to make it downtown to the outdoor ice rink they set up every year. It is hugely popular - unexpected, since ice skating is not a household sport here generally speaking.

The Ivansclan also does a yearly holiday letter. Ivansdad & I started it when we were married and combining our card lists. We keep it to one page, usually five paragraphs. It is always organized around a theme and must be both witty and moderately informative. [Shortly after moving here we desribed the state as, historically, the nation's first death camp or, alternatively, Indian zoo. One recipient told us it was the first time he's read the phrase "death camp" in a Christmas letter.] It is among the hardest things either of us writes all year. We don't want to stop it, though, because people clamor for it. Seriously. They tell us they're looking forward to this year's letter.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

My single-item quiz has had only two attempts to solve.

Pretty good guesses, since I'm pretty sure I would fail this big time, if I hadn't created it and know the answer.

I'll give it a few more minutes and reveal.

I don't know whether it speaks more to Google in our lives or to a general who-cares attitude.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder...

Would gathering all of my Facebook updates for the past year count for a holiday letter?

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I think the Mudge clan and Ivansclan family newsletters would be fun to receive anything but the ordinary.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Jumper I looked but was clueless - wild stab would be Gaugin but only because it was the first name that popped in my head and not due to any "art" knowledge. Like the painting though.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If for no other reason Facebook is great for sharing photos. Here's Provincetown from yesterday.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 6, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I understand your strategy completely, bc, and don't blame you a bit; it may be your only possible tactic. I'd do it, too, in your position. And of course you understand I used "insane" in the fondest possible way.

(TBG was using this strategy a few weeks ago, and scared the carp out of me, because it was succeeding for a little while.)

Yes, IM, our xmas letter is also in great demand. We skipped it one year, and the howls of protest were amazing.

Typically, the process goes like this: In November, my wife says, "You have to start writing this year's letter."

I say, "I don't remember what happened this year. Give me some notes or an outline."

So my wife prepares notes, listing grandchildren's accomplishment, names, ages, etc. (There are parts I'm foggy about). Plus other stuff.

My reaction: Oh, yeah, I forgot [so-and-so] was nearly killed in a massive four-car accident. And that [so-and-so] was nominated for the Nobel Prize in chemistry. How could it have slipped my mind?

My wife: You remember the names of your children, don't you? I'll give you a hint. There are five of them. I'm sure you've seen them around the house from time to time.

Me:

My wife: *sigh*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

So, Mudge, was that your Boodle holiday letter?

Think of passing on the holiday letter this year. I'm not sure "became addicted to the Boodle" would be what my holiday list wants to hear.

Posted by: MsJS | December 6, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Totally off-topic, it looks like my state is getting some new residents:

Posted by: MsJS | December 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, those five nonfiction picks are great picks by the NYT Book Review, just fanastic selections--ought to make for a end of a year that overall's just been merry and bright, chockablock full of good news:

#1--intellectual curiosity--guaranteed to hit it big on the bestseller lists

#2--war=more death and destruction

#3--alcoholism and family dysfuntion

#4--greed and the relentess pursuit of money

#5--another shot at alcoholism and family dysfunction

Spent an hour with author and former reporter (Houston Chron and San Antonio Express-News) Bill Minutaglio, his coauthor on the Molly Ivins/Rebel book, and about 11 other interested Molly fans at the new Twig (indie bookstore) location at the redone Pearl Brewery stables last Thursday night. When Minutaglio read several passages from his book, they were about how Molly decked a couple of guys. Guess these stories were meant to be entertaining? One fellow had pinched one of her backside cheeks--that act cost him a tooth.

I was more horrified that young Miss Molly was groped in the hallways of the Texas Capitol building the first day she was sent to cover the Texas legislature. More tragic even was that in order to get the stories--and the truth about what was going on politically, she had to hang out numerous times with the boys at the Austin bars, late into the night, which undoubtedly contributed to her own ongoing struggles with alcoholism.

As we count down the year, looks like the Tiger count may be going up--four, five six? I think Time magazine should have as its cover art of the year a picture of an unzipped fly--and by that I don't mean Drosophila (dew-loving).

Posted by: laloomis | December 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck is not popular in major US cities? Really?

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Loomis -- I hope that Tiger's wife Elin makes him go get AIDS tested at the first opportunity.

The book about Molly Ivins is definitely on my wish list. I miss her terribly. And I know I'm not the only one.

Time for lunch, methinks.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked, TBG, simply shocked... *choking back a snort*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

How do you start those newsletters, Mudge?

"Ladies and Cavemen...?"

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 6, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

laloomis: Many professional women of a certain age have male sexual groping tales to tell. It came w/ the territory. Whatever happened back then is history, over, finito. We have all moved on.

sneaks: Loved the p-town pics. Many thanks for sharing.

For all of you out on lunch break, I just put out a very large chocolate cake on the table. Plenty for all so no shoving.

Posted by: MsJS | December 6, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm... cake. Thanks, MsJS. Daughter just made rice crispy squares for the first time. She had no idea they are so easy.

So we've got dessert all set up here. Anyone have any actual lunch food?

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoa.

'Skins up a TD on the Saints.

Still early, though.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh...holy guacamole... (football remark)..

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

94 yards, longest drive of the season.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope my mother can forgive me, wherever she is... I'm watching the Monk finale on the Tivo instead of the Redskin game.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Smörgåsbord now features

tiny prawns sprinkled with Old Bay

two dipping sauces: dill sour cream and classic red cocktail

Rykrist -- thick planks
Kavli -- thin planks

Hummus and three kinds of olives; artichoke tapenade.

Eventually, RDP will arrive with a cheese ball of stupendous proportions.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Pot roast with mashed potatoes and green beans, ready to put on the bunker dining room table. Enjoy, folks!

More great music this morning, including Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on steel drums. Who knew that Bach could be so moving on steel drums? With a saxophone backing them up?

It's hard to believe, but this week my favorite twin boys will be 20 months old. Tomorrow they will come to supper, along with their parents and their favorite aunts, Elderdottir and Geekdottir. Then we will make the trek to the town in the next county that lights up all the trees for the holidays. Yes, it's truly Christmastime!

A story Mudge will appreciate: at lunch we chatted with old friends who are going to drive to California for Christmas with their son and his family. One reason they're driving is that their granddaughter has discovered manual typewriters and is fascinated by them. So they are taking their old Royal manual to her. (Can you imagine trying to schlep one of those on an airplane?)

Posted by: slyness | December 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Uhhhhh...

Ai chihuahua (politics remark):

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Happy Sunday, everybody...

All I ever needed (or wanted) to know about war I learned from "Johnny Got His Gun", "Slaughterhouse Five" and the song "War (What is it good for?)" by War. Self-defense is one thing, but to go and *start* one for any reason whatsoever... I just can't fathom the twisted kind of mind it takes to do that.

As for the book list, I haven't read a single one of them (my loss, I'm sure, at least by high-falutin' NYT standards).

Good news from the doc, btw... blood work this week showed improvement in my liver function, so it's not completely fried and is apparently beginning to heal. Still not out of the woods yet, but he told me to keep on doing what I'm doing 'cause it's working. I go back in two months for the next round. Speaking of which, you should all buy stock in the company that makes V8 -- I've been drinking the stuff like I drank my booze, so I expect their Ohio sales are *way* up.

Now back to freezing my dupa off in the workshop.

Peace out, my Boodle friends... :-)

Posted by: martooni | December 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Rice Crispies don't count as lunch? Sorry TBG then I am out of ideas :-). Actually now that I think of it we have left over ribs, forgot about breakfast - that would be a good brunch.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

10-0, 'Skins...

Whuffff...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Toon!!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I made a ham this week, so let's bake some Sister Schubert's rolls and have lunch.

TBG, did Athena dust her forehead with flour and come out of the kitchen looking exhausted? :-)

I'm not surprised to see the story Scotty cited. There's a lot of pressure from nationwide governing hospital organizations to show 100% vaccination rates because it's seen as a patient safety issue. Coupled with an increasing willingness to redefine acceptable preventable infection rates (going from *8 a year isn't bad* to *zero % is acceptable*) and the regular training even those of us who aren't direct caregivers, well, I guess I've drunk the antibacterial gel. CHOP has seriously ill children. Their safety should be the primary consideration.

I was surprised a few weeks ago to see how much my priorities have changed. I had 1 financial system down and another having problems. I dropped both immediately when a call came about a glitch in the dietary system--potential patient safety issue trumped all. Previously, the downed system would have had precedence.

Happy holidays to all, even the Grinch.

Posted by: -dbG- | December 6, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

bc, I think I was quite accurrate when I said your prediction was insane...because what I'm seeing down on that field is really insane. I am clearly delusional. I'm having visions and aural hallucinations.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I've been having this thought for a few weeks now, and decided to share it with the Boodle since you'd been such great support when I switched jobs. Ready?

I wake up during the week thinking about what I have to do that day and looking forward to going to work. I forgot that was possible.

Glad to hear it's working, Martooni. Best wishes.

Posted by: -dbG- | December 6, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

OFFENSIVE pass interference on Shockey??!!!!

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG, Trudy is important.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 6, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

So I'm switching between the 'Skins and the Steelers games while listening to the Pats on the satellite radio with headphones.

And the cat is upset I'm not responding to whatever noise is coming out of her.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think you can breath again, 'Mudge... 10-all.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

But I want the Skins to win, Scotty.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, there you go then. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it, 'Mudge...

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, if it's any consolation, the Lions are losing and my color printer won't work, thereby making me waste an entire day of trying to get my holiday calendars printed and spread out to set for 24 hours.

*I think I see what my evenings are gonna look like once the printer communication gets fixed*

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That is great, dbG!

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

*weeping*

*a lot*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I dun theenk 'Mudge is weeping quite the same way at this point.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, do you believe what you're seeing?

(And you better keep a close eye on your Pats. Fish are sneaking up on them.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Great news, Martooni!

BTW, "UP" is a great movie.

I'm rooting for the Redskins!

Posted by: Windy3 | December 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

An ear, 'Mudge, I'm keeping an ear...

I'm surprised Thomas didn't leave his ankle back on the 5...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Since I still swing both ways, rooting for Atalanta and D.C. teams:

I see that Philadelphia is laying a serious butt-whuppin' on the Falcons. On the other hand, Georgia Tech held on to clinch the league championship, a partial salve after their inglorious swoon at the slobbering jowls of the Georgia Bulldogs.

I refuse to acknowledge the Washington-area NFL franchise until the game's over, but it was nice to see the Capitals take serious advantage of the Flyers last night. The Wizards, alas, are probably a lost cause.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

That would be the "conference" championship for the Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech. To the extent that they have a league (big-time college football?), they're already out of the running for that championship.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Watch out for the Raiders, too...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Double-WOW on the 'Skins receivers separating from the Saints defenders...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Who taught them to do THAT? They never do that.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

*laughing* Joe Buck just said "Jason Campbell is playing out of his mind today."

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I think bc gets the "mad genius" label this week...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

And as I said, watch out for the Raiders...

*shaking my head*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll be happy to give it to him.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, the Pats...

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

You had to say something, 'Mudge...

*SIGHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

And now 'Mudge is weeping again...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Well . . . .

CHEEZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Go Redskins Go.

Posted by: Windy3 | December 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Drat

Posted by: Windy3 | December 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

No way.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

*breathing again*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Wacky, wacky end of regulation...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, sure, it would have boring to just win the game.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

bc came over a few minutes ago, and he ain't sayin' much now...

Although we DID look at each other and say, "THIS is the game with 900 yards of offense?"

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I quote bc: "Do you believe this crap?"

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sick.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Three games in a row you can (rightly or not) law the blame on Suisham's foot.

Wonder if Snyder's checking the waiver wire for kickers?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

From now on if the 'skins miss a field goal near the end of the 4th quarter let's just give the other team the win to save time.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

You see... if I pick the 'Skins' opponents each week, I'm happy either way, win or lose.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

ARE U FREAKING KIDDING ME????????????????????

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I quote bc again: "BAH!"

And I concur.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

But is Garrett Hartley muttering dark thoughts about Mark Brunell's holding, like Ray Finkle?

Hey: Finkle, Finkel, that's almost on-kit!

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What a revoltin' development.

I bel;ive it will require several adult beverages to quell my gorge before I indulge in Scottynuke's chowdah (smells great, though).

Yes, I'm using Scottnuke's laptop.

bc

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope you guys had as much fun watching the game as I did reading your play by play.

Posted by: --dr-- | December 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

SCC: As you can see, I'm already one Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale to the wind.

I'd blame it on this time-delay keyboard, but it's as likely that this problem stems from the brain and fingers operating it at the moment.

bc

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

THE game wasn't shown anywhere on my 60 channels package. I was watching the frikking Dallas Cowboys and reading blogs. Including this one.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I had some 3D people over who are football-ophics. They just left and I'm catching up on the scores.

Hmmm, sorry Pats and 'Skins fans. I'd say I feel your pain, but I'd be lying.

However I'm not totally heartless. Here's some holiday wassail. Clear punch bowl is spiked, metallic one is spikeless but still very tasty.

Posted by: MsJS | December 6, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Young Campbell was 30-42, 367yards of gain, 3 TD and lost the game to Brees 35-49, 419 yards and 2 TD. That's got to hurt but it shows progress.

I'm doomed. My credit card statement will show I purchased sexy women's underwear. I don't think that showing for defense that it was done by and for my underage daughter will actually improve things. This security clearance thing was nice while it lasted. Dammed Christmas, damned.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

bc, if at the end of the season you are one game behind me, then I'm declaring the season a tie, because you had this one in every way that is meaningful. And if (god forbid) we're tied, then I'm gonna...

...uh...wait a minute. I'm still gonna declare it a tie.

I mean, a tiara's a tiara, right? No need to go overboard.

But yep, you earned this one.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

bc, we had some Dogfish Ale at our cousins in Boston, my say, it is an acquired taste - not there yet myself.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm wondering, dmd. Did Dogfish Ale taste like dogs or fish? Fish dogs? Wait, fish don't have dogs. Fish don't even have legs.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mudge.

As God is my witness, I thought the Washington NFL Franchise could fly.

A tie's a tie, and I'm fine with that.

Would have been nice to have earned a Mad Scientist Jewel for the Tiara this week. Should I be able to earn it again before the end of the season, I may consider adding adult beverage holders, a battery- powered windshield washer pump and some flexible tubing. Removeable, of course. TBG or LiT should have nothing to do with such a crass contrivance.

bc

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I have consolation hair combs with a few paste crystals. So, settle down with the tiara covetessness. We can all have sparkly hair ornaments.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Reading this kit caused me to fantasize what it would be like to live my life in a frantic effort to keep up with American High Culture as defined by the New York Times and the New Yorker. It wasn't a pleasant prospect. The current cultural scene is so varied, there's just so much stuff out there that it's really a paradise for readers. I've read lots of good books this year. I'm currently enjoying a book from last year that I vowed to read but was slow getting around to: Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's very important and is changing the way I think; it remains to be seen whether it will affect my behavior.

The book that changed my behavior the most in 2009 is "My Booky Wook" -- I read it because it was featured on NPR. I get most of my book recommendations from NPR; they seem to be closer to my taste than the NYTimes. Without Russell Brand's book, I would not have learned about "The Mighty Boosh" -- or countless other British products that have brought me joy this year.

I guess what I'm saying is that not only did I not read the NYTimes list or see the NYer movies, but I have my own really strange combination of books and shows that adds up to a sort of culture of one. I guess we all do that and we should probably celebrate it.

For Martooni: Here's what I was listening to on my morning jog yesterday. MY DAUGHTER gave me the mp3.

Posted by: kbertocci | December 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the 'skins fans, I feel your pain today. I feel like I'm treading water with decorating. Got sidetracked by a gift for SIL that needs a shadowbox and it's giving me fits!

Posted by: badsneakers | December 6, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Well Ivansmom, I would say it tasted like a cross between wet dog and rotting fish. In truth I found it to be a bitter beer, and is one of the few times I have seen my husband unable to finish a beer - fortunately we had stopped at duty free and had brought Keiths and Moosehead with us.

Our cousin is a fan of micro brewies and can always be counted on to have some unique beers in the house.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I've decided to take a more philosophical view toward the Redskins - any game in which they keep it to within one score (which I'll define as eight points because, hey, they could always go for two, and it allows me to treat the Chiefs game favorably) I will consider a win, from the "it kept me interested in the game until nearly the end" standpoint.

They're 10-2, not bad.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Dogfish Ale thoughts

Alert and Honest Admission (not admonition)

Never will try it because in 1980, in Vert Anat I dissected one dogfish COMMA pickled in formaldehyde. Cannot ever be near a dogfish again. When I see that label I feel sick to my stomach.

The next year, we had to go to the pound and secure a (live) cat. We would deliver them to Miss A. (things ensured) We arrived to the Mam Phys class with the cats already prepped.

I apologize about this reality moment.

Ah yes. I may have been the last year in high school when live pithing of frogs was part of Advanced Bio. Fascinating and so astonishing. And, the entire time I thanked the frog for giving me this living heart to see and tough.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

TOUCH!!!

KB -- thanks for vid. And yes, the act of reading trumps the thou-shoudeth of any list.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 6, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the comma helps. I'm still not sure whether it was you or the dogfish who was pickled.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 6, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Finishing Scottynuke's delicious chowder, and ruefully considering his comment that my day of infamy came one early.

Sheesh.

bc

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 6, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Dogfish, BOB, at beginning of class. But, we all reeked of formalin at the mid point of class. Roommates objected as we walked into the room. And, you MUST WASH THE HAIR afterward. Like smoking but more chemically pungent.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 6, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Just at the beginning of the Guernsey/Potato Peel Pie book, and so far I like it. I'm reading it to cleanse the palate before I dive into the second Steig Larsson book in Swedish.

As for the Skins, well, let's look at it this way: They played an incredibly good game and certainly shocked the Saints. If that kick had gone in, we woulda won the thing. That's a whole lot better than previous games, eh?

Just trying to be optimistic. Okay, okay, I'll leave the room now.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

ftb... it's funny to me that you're reading the Larsson book in Swedish because I've never read a book with such weird translation.

It's hard to describe, but (and this is NOT a true example) it was as if they used the word "frock" instead of "dress."

It was enough to bother me while reading it. But of course, the gratuitous sadism and creepy sex bothered me, too. Not a book I would recommend.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Calling this for the shop steward who is still busy crying--

Gratituous sadism is NOT available as a boodle handle. That one's saved for the football gods.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 6, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

That's interesting to me, TBG. I will admit that I've come across a few new Swedish words from reading the book (which I suspect are current slang words), but nevertheless, while I'm reading it I sometimes try to put it into English and have a horrible time doing it. Because I understand what I'm reading in that language, and I think in it when I'm speaking it, the act of turning it into English fails me somewhat, as I seem to lose my English while immersed in Swedish. And, I, too, was put off by the sadism, but at the same time, I am well aware of the continual, worldwide abuse and trafficking of women and girls. It's the last great barrier, and for all the screaming about it, the screaming is done primarily by women for women.

And who listens to women?

Same thing with what's happening in regard to the health care reform bill. Women's rights are being shown the sharp scalpel and the utter fact of being of the female gender is established to be (and has always been) a "preexisting condition." Women pay more for everything, all the way down to the mundane of soap and deodorant.

It never ends.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 6, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

That's funny, TBG, because I loved the Larsson, despite the sadism etc. I certainly understand your reaction,though. I'm fond of all kinds of mystery/crime books, English country style through hard-boiled procedurals and worse, as long as they're well written. Every now and again I hit a "too much like work" book and stop. Sometimes I can pick it up again, sometimes not.

I remember recommending a James Ellroy to a colleague. About halfway through, after a major and unpleasant plot twist, she said, "I can't believe you told me to read this book." She finished it, though.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ivansdad and the Boy are watching the Cowboys. I'm not going anywhere near that room.

Nostalgia moment: made classic green bean casserole tonight. Have had this maybe once every five or ten years. I know Ivansdad likes it and it is so embarrasingly easy I decided there was no reason not to make it. I hope it does well as leftovers.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 6, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I made an iconic dinner, too, Ivansmom. Meatloaf, cheesy scalloped potatoes (from a box) and roasted brussels sprouts.

My meatloaf recipe, I was happy to discover, is the same one Chef uses at work: basically the onion soup mix recipe, with some extra veggies thrown in and a ketchup glaze on the top.

For the brussels sprouts, I tossed them in olive oil, sprinkled 'em with Kosher salt and roasted at 400 for about a half hour, shaking the pan every 7 minutes or so. I cooked them until they were brownish-black on the outside. What you end up with is a light crunch with a sweet middle.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 6, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Finally figured out what the ending of that Redskin's game kinda reminded me of - the ending of a cheesy horror flick. You know, the kind with the final ugly twist.

Just when you think you're safe you aren't.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 6, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Just took the chai sugar cookies out of the oven.

Trying to be good, trying to be good, trying...oh, nevermind, I'm going in!

:oD

Posted by: Moose13 | December 6, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I saw Ben Nelson interviewed on CNN. I kept wishing they would ask him why he's a Democrat, or what his solution to the health care insurance issue is, since he's not supporting the Democratic one.

I liked the Potato Peel Pie book, but I have seen and read enough WWII/Holocaust material to last me at least another decade. Or two or three.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 6, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Chai sugar cookies warm from the oven?

I've only dreamt of such things..

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 6, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Chai sugar cookies sound very good Moose.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 6, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I've never has chai-anything before. I really like these cookies.

Posted by: Moose13 | December 6, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I've never had chai-anything before. I really like these cookies.

Posted by: Moose13 | December 6, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double (and grammatically incorrect) post.

I blame the cookies.

Posted by: Moose13 | December 6, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Cookies sound wonderful...I'm not in a baking mood yet...but I have to get there soon!

So the Panthers won this afternoon, that was a nice event. Mr. T is happy.

We had leftovers for supper. I made steamed cabbage last night, so I finished it tonight. I'm still working on the yummy sage butter sweet potato casserole from Thanksgiving.

Just got word that the daughter of a good friend delivered a baby girl at 5:30 this afternoon. Happiness is a healthy baby. And
being unpregnant!

Posted by: slyness | December 6, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mean to kill it.

Posted by: Moose13 | December 6, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I like your word un-pregnant, slyness.

It is so freakin' cold here that I've been confined to quarters all afternoon. Most unlike me.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, ftb, PBS has Sinatra at Carnegie Hall from 1980 on now. He's singing "Send in the Clowns" right now. One of the great covers.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

What a quiet Boodle. Shall I say something shocking?

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like today's games were very exciting,after a brief nap,I had to attend a meeting at work.

Then drove up to west by god.4-5 inches of snow and my house was a chilly 40 when I got here.Up to 56 now and if I were a caveman,i would be comfortable.But it is nice to be here,even if it is only for 1 night.

off to stuff more wood in the woodstove,i really feel bad for the skins,but not the steelers or the cowgirls!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | December 6, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Give it your best shot, Yoki.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 6, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, a dear friend just told me that I can be mean and vicious. And I liked it!

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Hello boodle! We've had lovely dry sparkly snowflakes off and on since Friday. Just now coming up for air after the annual robotics tournament. Wish I could grow a business this well, 5 teams the first year, 9 last year, 17 teams this year. We outgrew our building and had to move to a high school 20 miles away. Bone tired and so relieved to be done. Kids I taught in summer camp are going to the state tournament with a brand new team and the all girls team our nonprofit sponsored came in first. Life is good.

Off to check those lists to see what I missed. I suppose that's the worst record of all, not having even read the lists of books I should have read and movies I should have seen.

I'mom-thought the Informant was a real hoot too.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I just got back from Tampa. I conspicuously wore my 2009 ACC Championship tee shirt all day. It got some cat-calls in the airport from Clemson fans who were distinctly not dressed in orange.

Both Tampa papers carried the Florida loss prominently. The St Pete Times, a notoriously pro-Nole paper was the harshest:

///In his final act, the legend became ordinary once again.

He struggled. He blundered. He grew impatient. He did all of those things we have seen so often in athletes of lesser standing. And when it became obvious the end was near, Tim Tebow began to weep on the University of Florida sideline.
(snip)
"What you saw was the passion of Tim Tebow," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said.///

The Tribune was more explicit in its metaphor:

///Florida lost so much Saturday.

Gone is the repeat. Gone is perfection. Gone is No. 1. Gone is Pasadena. There won't be three national championships in four seasons.

And incredibly, most incredibly, there will be no more truly important His-Will-Be-Done history from Tim Tebow. There's not even enough time left in Tebow's Florida career to make another promise. His tears said as much.///

Posted by: yellojkt | December 6, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

My my don't we feel confident.

Yeah, you.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 6, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Those pictures of P-Town are wonderful. I think we may have been near the same dunes:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 6, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

We got an unexpected dusting of snow. Just enough to make my Christmas tree look good. It does look look if I may say so.

The first homicide of the year just happened in my home town of Q-city. On December 6, it's not too bad. It remains 25 days to go to a murderless year but the city just couln't make it. Might have been bad for the city status.

Nonetheless, the old Capital was the scene of an absurd murder/murder investigation 25 years ago. With so little homicide investigations to go around maybe having such incompetent morons doing them could be justified.

The local TV has been saturated with Polytechnique stories. It happen 20 years ago today and it still hurts, somehow. 14 women dead on site, so many hurt, one guy killed himself afterward; the 15th victim. A mess.

Don't count on me for cheery posts today.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, I think all of us were traumatized that day. #2, who turned 21 yesterday, bears as a middle name that of one of the students. A small candle.

Posted by: Yoki | December 6, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Yello, it was obviously much warmer when yours was taken. Probably was the same place or close.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 6, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

ah!, thank you yoki. I graduated in metallurgy 4 years before, one out of 13 boys out of 15 graduates that year. Many of the dead girls (10?) who were killed were attending a metallurgy course for metallurgist/materials engineer, in the infamous classroom the men/boys were asked to leave. Not exactly a typical feminist nest.

Next week will mark the firtst anniversary of a dear co-worker getting her sister killed by her murderous ex-husband. A confluence of bad mojo.
A full third of murdered women are done in by their so-called spouse, how bad is that?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I said I wasn't cheery but I'm right dreadful. Gaawd, please ignore me.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 6, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Well the cardinals pecked the Vikings apart. Not really surprising; 8 o clock is really late to play football.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 6, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of birds we got our first red-breasted nuthatch at the feeders today, that's way early. The weird weather is playing with them.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 7, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Was it upside-down?

Posted by: Yoki | December 7, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to wish everybody a Happy Pearl Harbor Day!

Posted by: yellojkt | December 7, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

sd, that was an awful event, no wonder you're still affected by it.

frosti, good for you with the robotics!

Did anyone else hear about the DARPA red balloon challenge? I heard about it late at night a few days ago, then forgot about it.

Posted by: seasea1 | December 7, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm late to the party, having only this morning read Joel's Hubble article and spent the day doing other things while digesting it in background.

I'm venturing forth from my cave to note that Hegel long ago suggested that human consciousness is the way the universe becomes aware of itself.

I'm grabbing as many cookies, canadian doughnuts and deer caracasses as I can during this brief adventure, and retreating back to said cave before my favorite Philosphy professors rise from the grave and accuse me of having commerce with metaphysicians.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | December 7, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

It is all ontology, dlb.

Posted by: Yoki | December 7, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm an epistemology guy myself. My favorite prof liked to ask, "What do you mean?" and "How do you know?"

Not much ontology there.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | December 7, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Remember, Joel is chatting about his Hubble article Monday:

Posted by: seasea1 | December 7, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Metaphysics: What is really really real?
Epistemology: What can we know about what is really really real?
Ontology: What can we say about what we know about what is really really real?

-Bill Barnes-

Posted by: Yoki | December 7, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Okay, grammarians. Take this one on:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 7, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

9 of 10 correct.

Posted by: Yoki | December 7, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I got 1 of 10. I guess I stumped everybody else.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 7, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

I stopped counting; I think I got about five right. But I vehemently disagreed with three "answers," and VIOLENTLY disagreed with two more. Most particularly, the suggestion to avoid splitting infinitives is just so much 19th century schoolmarm crap. It really was never a fundamental rule, only something that crept into the super-priggish schoolmarm mentality, like never ending a sentence with a preposition. I also disagreed vehemently with the Mormon sentence, #10, because of the word "allegedly," which they left alone. That word does not belong in that sentence, for at least two very good reasons (too long to go into).

'Morning, Boodle.

Nothing like waking up on a Monday morning and finding something to really tick me off. DFW is a pedant.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 7, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Morning Mudge
Me too on the gram.quiz.
Depends on convention, etc.

Enjoying some very very good Joe this am.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 7, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

With all due respect, yello, I think I'll pass on the quiz first thing this morning. Maybe later.

Good morning, all, and happy Monday! Cold and clear in the Carolinas; current temperature is 32. I believe I'll put on the long underwear for my walk this morning and hope that the little 6th-grader I chat with will have on a jacket.

Posted by: slyness | December 7, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all...

yj, all I can say about the quiz is that it is a good thing that I am not a writer.

Whence????? LOL

Posted by: VintageLady | December 7, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I thought DFW was a fine airport, actually...

*recovering-from-an-evening-of-chowdah-revelry Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 7, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, we have the nuthatches, but I haven't seen a red breasted one at the feeder, ever. Always black and white, dear little upsidedownbirds.

Posted by: VintageLady | December 7, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

9 of 10. Though I can see Mudge's points, I don't share his umbrage. All of the sentences were improved with the prescribed changes-which is not to say they were then perfect. I have no problem with usage that irks, if I know the writer made a choice I find disagreeable. It's when people either don't know, or don't care, enough to make an informed choice that drives me mad.

13 on the thermometer this morning. Sooo much better than the 0 I expected to see. Still, it might be time to shop for some silk long underwear.

Wilbrod-Turned the Vikings off when it was 21-10, in hopes of not jinxing them. Woke up to the news it didn't work. But 10-2 is no record to sneeze at.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 7, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Question one, instead of change one another to each other I would change hardly to rarely, although after it was pointed out I did like the change to one another better. Hardly is correct?

Posted by: dmd3 | December 7, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Ooops just read more of the answer and noted I was not alone in preferring rarely, and the explaination about one another/each other.

I will now work on consuming more coffee and waking up.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 7, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree 'bout those infinitive things, Mudge. I mean, "to go boldly" just sounds dumb.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 7, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, you may not have felt cheery but I was touched by your comments, as a woman I thank you.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 7, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

A bit nippy here this morning. I will finish decorating today. The mess and clutter is killing me.

Moose, I saw a similar cookie recipe the other day, seems that adding tea to cookies is the latest thing, or has it always been so and I've just missed it?

Posted by: badsneakers | December 7, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Feeling less grouchy this morning, after 3 cups of coffee,
VintageLady, the red-breasted nuthatch is about 2/3 of the size of the regular ones but behaves just the same. They do go up and down the big suet feeder with their head pointing in the direction of travel. They come from the North, I think, because we see them in winter only so maybe they don't go all the way South to your place. They are cute little guys.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 7, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!!! And yes, it is about the F word.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 7, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that un-splitting an infinitive to achieve clarity probably means the sentence is already so unclear that other changes should be made. I will certainly say that in some rare cases splitting the infinitive does make the sentence worse. In general the slavish rule to avoid the split is silly.

A wonderful little video. And such music! "What if the earth had rings, like Saturn?"

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 7, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse