Google and the Aughts

Adrian Higgins has a piece in Style today that is really the story of the decade -- the Aughts, distilled. This was the decade of the iPod and the Blackberry and the iPhone and the Android and the ubiquitous laptops and the WiFi and the Aircard and all the other technology that enabled us to leave the natural world.

But you have to draw the line. Like: No texting in class. Is that crazy-talk? I think a student who texts in class while the teacher is lecturing should not see that device again in the near future. One fears for the future of the republic, here in the globalized economy of the new millennium, when it is routine for students to sit in class with earbuds connected to iPods. What do you bet that doesn't happen in India and China?

Not that any of us can get too high and mighty about unplugging. I'm writing this on my laptop at Carbucks.

I've lost the ability to get through an entire conversation without the need to Google something. It's so tempting! A question hovers: Google can ding it out of the air like the best skeet shooter you ever saw.

Higgins sees gardening as one of our paths back to being fully human. I've found some great gardening tips via Google, come to think of it. Let's see, the Ides of December, what should a gardener be doing?

"Now is a good time to take hardwood cuttings of deciduous woodies like forsythia, Quince, Mock orange, spirea, and viburnum."

Thanks, Google.

If you've got a suggestion for what I can write about the Aughts -- I'm cobbling something together for the paper -- please email me at achenbachj AT washpost.com.

Via Romenesko, here's a WSJ technology columnist, Julia Angwin, pointing out that Facebook is no place for anything you want to keep private.

I love this space chair.

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 15, 2009; 10:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Falling behind on self-loathing
Next: Time 'Person of the Year': good call

Comments

I think I must fall into the 'early adopter' category; I've been unplugged from real life for decades now.

Posted by: Yoki | December 15, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the "Aughts". It is just so 19th century. Perhaps the Zeds, but that might be too foreign.

The instantaneous connection to information is the salient fact of the decade. It is hard to remember the passive acceptance of not knowing some factoid because it was too hard to look it up and when visiting a bookstore gave the feeling of visiting a strange monument to the dead tree.

Brave new world. Bring it on.

When can I get a direct brain implant connection to the internet?

Posted by: edbyronadams | December 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

ed, via Google:

Posted by: engelmann | December 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Cool! I just don't want the beta version.

Posted by: edbyronadams | December 15, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It's been possible to garden without getting dirt under one's fingernails for a lot longer than we've had Google.

All those gardening mags, gardening sections of newspapers, gardening TV shows, gardening exhibits, trays of annuals at grocery and hardware stores, and, of course, garden walks have been part of the landscape for decades.

I get Higgins' attempt to make a point. Humans have an innate capacity to avoid delving into life. For Higgins, gardening is a way to reclaim one's connection to all life.

However, living life fully is more of an attitude than an activity. It's being able to find "wow" in almost anything, even Google.

Posted by: MsJS | December 15, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

engelmann, the amusing thing about this beta hookup is that it represents even more separation from old perceptions. We used to think that people walking down the street and talking to themselves were a bit off. Now, it is normal. With this device we can add people making wild gestures as normal as well.

Posted by: edbyronadams | December 15, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

When I was a lad the outdoor world was a wonderland of adventure waiting to be explored. As children, just this side of feral, we roved the countryside. We climbed trees, created tunnels through grassy meadows, and sloshed through creeks. Before the age of twelve I am pretty sure I wandered every open area within a three-mile radius of my home.

My children, alas, seldom even ventured into our well-fenced back yard.

Now, there are many reasons for this. I was raised in a more rural area (but not *that* much more.) People are less tolerant of that whole "feral children" business, both rightly and wrongly, than when I was a boy.

And we never had to deal with poison ivy.

But, I assert, the biggest reason for the refusal of my children to do much 'sploring is, of course, electronics. They exist in a world so filled with audiovisual stimulation that those poor moss-covered rocks simply can't compete.

To my children, gardening is what you do in "Harvest Moon" to earn points to buy new furniture.

Whenever I start to shed too many indignant tears over my children's refusal to get out and explore the "real" world, I have to step back. If I had access to what they have, I might not have spent nearly as much time wandering through the undergrowth either.

Besides, my children are exploring. They are just doing so in a different way. Their world is largely one of simulation and manipulated bits, but it can be argued that it is certainly just as "real" in the influence that it has on them. Further, in many ways, their world is vastly larger and more complex than anything I could imagine as a boy.

And perhaps this reliance on an electronic reality might actually be beneficial. It is possible that forces beyond our control will turn the natural world into something ugly.

But at least there will still be "Harvest Moon."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 15, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I've put up with PCs on the basis they are less expensive and have more software, but I think I'll have to draw the line at brain implants.

Back to the article: "no texting in class". At this point we have to start with no texting while DRIVING.

Posted by: engelmann | December 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I grew up doing the same kind of exploring you described, RD. We always had dirt under our fingernails and burrs in our hair, not to mention a good scrape on the knee or elbows.

The only "Harvest Moon" I'm familiar with is the song/album by Neil Young. But if it's anything like "Farmville" on Facebook, I have to admit that I'm addicted to virtual farming. I'm hoping to apply my new digital agricultural skillz to the severely neglected patch of weeds in the back yard we loosely refer to as a "garden".

Posted by: martooni | December 15, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

ed - i make wild gestures and talk to myself in the car - i talk on my "hands free" (it is dc after all) and i talk with my hands so i'm sure ppl think i'm an escaped mental patient - i also sing in my car... and never EVER get the first version of anything tech related...

AWESOMEFANTASTICWOW time at the bph last nite! so many hugs and such warm fuzzies... yello, sonofyello was charming, if somewhat quiet. and sonofg - man, i love that kid! even our waitress rocked...

mo

Posted by: mortii | December 15, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Like RD's progeny, the Boy explores the virtual world more readily than the actual one. He does get out to catch fireflies, run around, etc., on occasion. Unlike the real world, the virtual world has the virtue of no wasps, no ticks, no poison ivy - all of which have encountered the Boy, with unpleasant results.

No texting in class, while eating food (at a meal or more casually, if in company), when conversing in person with others, after bedtime, when a parent says it is time to stop. So far it works.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm always afraid to call or text my 16 year old when she might be driving - though I warn her repeatedly not to, she sometimes "just peeks" at the phone while driving. Very worrisome, and I haven't decided how to handle except to continue the lectures. I'm a wuss.

Just got done with the last (I hope) plumber's visit of this year. Good riddance to 'em, I say! I've spent a goodly sum on the profession this year. Second only to car repair shop fees.

Here's to next year, with no plumbers and only minimal car repairs!

Posted by: Wheezy11 | December 15, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

To be really contemporary, tuned in and in touch, shouldn't it be the Double-Aughts? I also like Noughties and Oh-ohs!

In contrast to the decades from 1920 to 1999, which are called "the Twenties", "the Sixties", and the like, the 2000s have no universally-accepted name. Some refer to the decade as the "twenty hundreds" while others may refer to it as the "two thousands". In written form this could appear as "the '00s". But writing "the 2000s" or simply saying "the 2000s" can cause confusion, since this could refer to the entire 21st century; even the entire millennium.

Determining a name for the decade has been problematic, especially in the United States. The term "Noughties" has been suggested by the BBC, but this term has not gained general currency, except perhaps in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia.

Other proposed names include:

aughts, aughties, and double-aughts, from 'aught', which, like "naught" means "zero" (aughts was one of the more popular terms in the early 20th century)

nils and nillies, from "nil", meaning "nothing"

2Ks, from the Greek term khilioi, meaning "thousand"

ōzies, and the Twenty-O's, from the practice of calling the number zero 'O'

zeroes, double zeroes, oh-zeroes, ohs, double ohs, oh-ohs, and twenty ohs.

Posted by: laloomis | December 15, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Almost feral children are not obese as a rule. How many overweight children/adults do we have as a results of screens?

Posted by: VintageLady | December 15, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The thing about the implant is that all the folks you want to avoid now have direct access to you.

It'd be like telemarketers, pollsters, and loud talk radio 24/7. The FBI and CIA will set up clandestine surveillance, of course, but so will your banker, your credit card company, and your mother.

Posted by: MsJS | December 15, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

And M$ will make bloated, inefficient, intrusive, crash-prone code for it.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different, TimeKill Central Presents-

Posted by: kguy1 | December 15, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

mo,
Thank you for your kind words about my son. He still finds the concept of meeting people you only know through the internet kinda odd.

The first thing my son did after getting home from college was to install some game called League of Legends on our computer. It seems he needed something to keep him busy between World of Warcraft raids.

And I won't even mention our Sunday father-son twelve episode 'Community' marathon.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Now for something very old and familiar:
Leon Redbone, Harvest Moon

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 15, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"It'd be like telemarketers, pollsters, and loud talk radio 24/7."

Regarding telemarketers, I got an email telling me that cell phones will soon be open for business and sending me a number, 888 382 1222 to register your cell on the do not call list.

Perhaps this is old news.

Posted by: edbyronadams | December 15, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the second most offensive thing written about Tiger Woods I have read:

edbyron,
Let me Snopes that for you:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I have a theory that when Microsoft first got Windows to more or less function as promised, in around 1997, efficiency increased dramatically. But all our modern phone efforts - so much time and money going into their improvement - have not really done anything at all for efficiency. And may, in fact, be degrading it. I hope our next tech efforts result in something more than the phone revolution has brought us. As for texting while driving I cannot fathom it. Uh, heard of leaving a voicemail message?

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 15, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Most of this decade we could have done without I think. From WB to 9/11 to two wars and the financial meltdown, it's been pretty grim. So in terms of a name, how about the %&@#! decade.

There are way too many ways to waste time too. Altho' I wouldn't want to be without the Internet for the instant answers to important questions, especially gardening questions.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 15, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Voice mail is just so inefficient. You gotta wait for the ring tone to die out, the person to cut in with their salutation, then the other gal to tell you to leave a message after the beep and then either hang up or press 1 for more options, then finally you have to wait for the beep.

My daughter can send 3 or 4 texts in the time it takes to wait for the beep.

Voice is just so old school.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | December 15, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

let's not be so hasty to poo-poo technology! otherwise i'd be unemployed! i call microsoft "job security"!!

i have a gps on my iphone but it's virtually impossible to use it while driving (mine doesn't talk - i don't have the 3gs). but can i tell you how much i love shazam!! bc and i were racking our brains trying to figure out the musicians of a particular song that was playing last nite (btw - m&s had a sweeeettt 80's mix rocking) and in two seconds shazam had the answer for us - instead of me staying up all nite trying to figure it out and at 4 in the morning waking from a deep sleep and screaming "MADNESS" to the dark room and startling my cat...

Posted by: mortii | December 15, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I would chime in on my opinion on the technology and connectedness 24/7 and kids sending four text messages in the time it takes to leave a voice mail message. But I'm afraid my next step would be to yell at those neighbor kids and tell them to get off my *&%$# yard.

I see the ads touting unlimited internet and text for *only $69 a month. People really pay even more than that??? Plus broadband connection at home? Not only am I an old fud, but cheap, too.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, since people don't seem to like "the Aughts" and the other thus-far suggested names for the decade, I have a suggestion:

1) since OO is the typography for the decade;

2) since Bush was president for 8 of the 10 years in question;

3) since it was the decade of the steamy sex scandal (the Brazilian bombshell, hiking the Appalachian trail, the wide stance, Mark Foley and the Interns, Sen. Ensign, Newt Gingrich (yes, his divorce and affair and re-narriage all make the deadline cut), not to mention a certain golfer;

4) Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction (Feb. 1, 2004);

5 Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter, Princess Sparkle Pony;

6) Limbaugh, Beck, Dobbs, ad nauseum (double entendre there);

I don't see that we have any choice whatsoever other than to name this decade "the Boobs."

It ("the Boobs") even has the oo in it, plus B for Bill Clinton at the beginning of it and B for Barack at the end of it. I mean, could anything be any clearer. Divine Interventionally speaking? You want God to come down from on high and spray-paint "the Boobs, you morons" onto Ted Baxter's forehead?

I believe I have presented what the lawyers like to call a dispositive argument.

Good afternoon, Boodle. I have returned from a morning of helping dottir #3 move into her new downtown DC apartment mere blocks from Joel's house, right on Connecticut Ave. (dottir, not Joel; I don't actually know where Joel lives, only very approximately. It's somewhere in DC, I think. But I know where his fav Starbucks is, so assume he's not far away. Neither is dottir #3.) (I'm so envious I can't stand it. Oh, to be 26, single, and live on upper Conn. Ave.)

For some reason my e-mail's not working. Try not to e-mail me anything until I get it straightened out.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Feral child: Calvin (and Hobbes).

People do weird things in the name of gardening. Locally, retirees seem to want sterile yards (so they remove all the greenery and palms), or they think trees are evil, or they think the grass is like in New Jersey, so they cut it far too short, leaving it looking as though it had been hit by a punitive expedition.

Down here, leftover Christmas amaryllises and poinsettias can make good yard plants. Then again, people really ought to have Christmas crotons with bright red leaves.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 15, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like some Christmas crotons sprinkled on my salad, thank you, along with bacon bits.

I'll take the blue cheese dressing, too.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

There is a way to bypass a greeting and all the crap about leaving a message, but I always forget which button to push. 5? 7? (I'm with Verizon, but there is a bypass for all cell phones. I think I picked this hint up from Rob Pegoraro.)

As of December 1, 2009 it is illegal to text while driving in North Carolina. Yay for our legislators! I can barely talk on the phone and drive and really prefer not to (talk on the phone). Distractions are dangerous; people get killed.

Posted by: slyness | December 15, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Back when I was single and in my twenties I lived on upper Conn Ave! In an apartment!

Of course there was no Starbucks then. No cell phones, no texting, no Tweeting, no Facebook. I had no cable TV. There was a good liquor store which sold splits of wine and take-out Greek food. There was pizza delivery and Chinese delivery. Good times.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm very interested by what you say- "I'm so envious I can't stand it. Oh, to be 26, single, and live on upper Conn. Ave." Mudge, I'm almost 62, very married (our 40th anniversary is drawing near), and live in a 103 year old house in the inner burbs and excepting certain health considerations I would not want to be 26 again or single again or live anywhere in the city. Why would you?

Posted by: kguy1 | December 15, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

My retirement home will be a condo with off-street covered parking within a quarter mile of a Metro station along Connecticut Avenue. I don't care if such a thing doesn't exist. That is my fantasy.

My life goal is to eat at every restaurant on Connecticut Ave between the Mall and the Beltway.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Did you all see the article about the "glider" that crossed the Atlantic?

can anyone tell us what powered it? (Or did I just read too fast.) My husband said "ask the blog."

Posted by: nellie4 | December 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The 70s were the Me Decade.
The 80s were the Reagan Years.
The 90s were the Grunge Era.
The 00s are the B00b Times.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"Scarlet is more similar to an airborne glider than a submarine. Like the former, it has no engine to provide forward thrust or motion. It descends by pumping a small volume of water -- about a cup -- into its nose, causing that part of the glider to sink relative to the tail. Because of the unequal buoyancy along the fuselage and the action of its two stationary wings, the glider makes headway as it "flies" downward in the water column. To ascend, the reverse occurs: it pumps the water out of the nose, which then floats upward, pulling the rest of the glider with it.

The glider cannot travel forward at a fixed depth. Consequently, its course across the Atlantic took the form of a series of more than 10,000 dives and ascents, usually staying well below the surface."

Posted by: kguy1 | December 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Why would I? On upper Conn. Ave. in DC? It's the heart of all I ever wanted since I first heard about those trendy Georgetown cocktail parties of the JFK years. Access to movies (kguy, they show FOREIGN films there? You know the last time a foreign flick came to Waldorf? It was "All Quiet on the Western Front." No, not the movie. The newsreel), theaters, a gazillion restaurants, museums, cool hip places, and women -- women who make the lyrics of Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year" seem pale and uninteresting by comparison.

You wouldn't want to be 26 again? OMG. It'd be a miracle if I slept in my own bed one night out of five.

(This has nothing to do with the entirely coincidental fact that 26 was the single worst year of my life, and I want a do-over, a mulligan. But I'd be saying all this if it was 22, 25, 27, 30, whatever.)

You wouldn't want to be single over again?

IM, what block of Conn.?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

kguy -- what runs the PUMP?

Posted by: nellie4 | December 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

According to the accompanying graphic that was very prominent in the dead trees edition but just a little link online, there is a small battery that takes in and then expels water to make the nose rock up and down. It basically see-saws across the ocean.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

What runs the pump?
Elves.

When's the last time a foreign film came to Waldorf?
Netflix delivers dozens there every day.

I wouldn't want to be single again?
Definitely not. The odds against finding the right person twice are astronomical.

Now a 26 year old prostate, that I would take.

Posted by: kguy1 | December 15, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Batteries.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Just in from running around Christmas shopping all day, and wanted to say, I could have told you that gardening was the secret to happiness.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Elvis crossed the ocean in that glider??? Must have been bigger than I thought...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

kguy's answer is better.

When I was 26, I was changing diapers. Would not go back. My salad days were 23-25 when my wife and I ate at the Tampa Bay Mall food court nearly every night and we went out every Friday with a floating gang of our respective coworkers to a 50s bar called Chevy's. Every time I hear 'Wipeout' I smile at my wife and say "A Chevy's classic."

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Finally:

Posted by: seasea1 | December 15, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Short answer: over 50 lbs. of batteries, which not only ran the piston (the "pump" part) but also the telemetry.

I couldn't quite tell from their Web site if they were being cagey about the design stuff, or just kind of engineer-geek oblivious. But yes, remarkably little technical and design data. Which I suppose is understandable.

kguy, I'm really disappointed at your "Netflix" answer. Yes, they deliver miserable little dvds. But they don't deliver the "theater" experience. I want the entire package: the "date," picking her up, the big theater, the popcorn, the big screen, the whole nine yards. Being in the fourth row and looking upo and being overwhelmed. Holding hands. Going out afterward for coffee and lox/bagels (or a beer and pizza, or whatever), and talking about it, comparing notes.

Of all the people in the world, you ought to be the last person I need to explain "the movie experience" to.

I admit to being a hopeless romantic. For me the movie itself cannot be separated from the experience surrounding it. I must have 100 flicks I associate with a specific person or group, even the monster movies I saw at the drive-in with my parents. Cannot separate "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" from the drive=in, the speakers in the window, the snack bar food, etc. Cannot separate "The Sundowners" from the Divine MS, or "Man and a Woman" and Zhivago and Zeffarelli"s R&J from my ex. Cannot separate "Judgment at Nuremburg" from the gang of us we crammed into Jeff Barford's Buick, and me with M.A.

(Part of the problem may be my sticky memory, which retains not only the movie but the name of the theater I saw it in, the time of day and year, who I was with.)

"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea": my mother and brother, at the Mastbaum, 20th and Market Sts, Philly, 8th largest movie theater in the U.S., 4,700 seats.

No, Netflix isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Martooni - "Harvest Moon" is a video game series. This is from wiki:

"Most gameplay in the Harvest Moon games consists of planting seeds to grow fruits, vegetables, flowers and herbs in the spring, summer, and autumn, and collecting items, making home improvements, and building personal relationships. A successful farmer must weigh the cost, selling price, number of harvests, and growth times of the various types of produce in order to pick the best product for each of the seasons. One can also go fishing and mining for extra profit."

It's almost educational. I guess.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 15, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh Mudge.

Zeffarelli's R&J PLUS
Zeffarelli's Brother Sun & Sister Moon -- both seen at a classic Fox theater complete with starlight ceilings -- bonus is the adobe contruction and red tile roof and Spanish inquisition-style excesses of wrought iron grille work.

I own both movies. Come on over. But, you will sit in a beanbag in a tiny room. Good wine though and Slynee's cheese straws plus Yoki's olive delights...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I append going to see the new "Star Trek" at the AMC IMAX with a dozen members of the Boodle, and then going out for Tex-Mex afterward. Netflix cannot put that on a disc.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

In the yard, coontie cones are breaking open, spilling seeds with bright red coats.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the "theater experience" you speak of is as much a memory as my hair. The screens are no longer big, there are no balconies, many times your fellow moviegoers are talking back to the screen, texting, or engaging in even more obnoxious pursuits. The only things remaining from the cinema experience of my youth are the overpriced concessions and the sticky floor in the john. Cinema Paradiso it ain't.

Posted by: kguy1 | December 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I admit I have not only looked at emails/texts while driving but have responded, new laws that came into effect recently have stiff fines for talking/texting while driving so I haven't done so lately.

I have one child who still explores outside, not to the extent I was allowed but much more than the average child is allowed. I am not sure some of the children on our street are even allowed outside without a full posse of adults.

To get that outdoor experience I had the kids help me stack a face cord of wood on the weekend, it was interesting watching the eldest try to look "good" while carting wood logs across the yard - we live in the 'burbs outdoor experience is relative.

The eldest did just happen to mention how much she loves the "Don't Rain on my Parade" song from Glee. I have challenged her to listen to the original for comparison and noted that we must rent Funny Girl for her to see.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

DaveCountiepoetman
And, onkit, due to gardeny theme.

1000 points for you.

Eventually,
Englmann will pen a pome followed soon by the slight-yet-profound musings of DNA(koan)Grrrllll

The, send in the (clowns) dogs who also penny farthing us with delightfuls.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Will slyness and Yoki be there?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Then I need a phone ap that makes an MP3 of my message and attaches it to the text msg like I attach things to email. So I don't have to listen to the dead noise.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 15, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

In the boodle mansions, Mudge, are many rooms -- We all fit.

But, you know this.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...

RIP, Oral Roberts.

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The space chair is very cool, we had a chair quite similar to that one (including the orange fabric) in our den when I was young.

Pretty snowflakes falling right now.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Mudge... I've got some good memories of snuggling up with a nice DVD or making cookies, popcorn and hot chocolate with the kids to settle in for family movie time on the couch. The experience is what you make it. The memories are everywhere.

We couldn't have heard the word-for-word dialog of The Brave Little Toaster over and over 18 years ago if Son of G had only had the one chance to see it in the theater. Oh wait. Maybe you're right, then.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I don't remember precisely, but it was just north of a Metro stop, north of Howard U. A huge prewar brick pile of a building; I think it was the Chesapeake. As I left they began renovating the apartments, no doubt so they could drastically hike the rent or sell them as condos. I always wondered if they took out the built-in kitchen breadboxes (I bet they did) and small china cabinet and shelves.

Or if they put in air conditioning. For cooling in summer, the building had an old very powerful suction-type thing; air traveled down the halls and each apartment had a wood-slat lockable outside door, which the air could go in. I had a corner apartment and with all the window open this arrangement worked surprisingly well.

It had steam heat and hot water, and a gas stove. When we lost electric power in the winter, I could remain warm, clean and fed for days.

I had a list of must-haves when I looked for an apartment: covered parking included, late-manned front desk & doorman, AC, sinks with one faucet instead of two spigots for hot & cold which combined in the basin. Turns out only the last was a deal-breaker. I loved the building, loved the apartment and decided everything else was optional.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I still see a few movies in the theater, especially now that there is one near me that shows older releases for $3. But usually I'm by myself in an almost empty theater, and I refuse to buy the overpriced popcorn and drinks. I saw a movie the other day that didn't fit the screen it was being shown on - very distracting, but for $3 I didn't even bother to complain. I know sometimes when I see DVDs on my small TV, I'm missing the full impact of the movie. But for me, live music and concerts are worth going to. Nothing quite like the group experience of grooving to the beat. And the same for gardening - Farmville is not good enough! It's a trap!

Posted by: seasea1 | December 15, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, somebody beat me to it in the Elvis sighting in the glider!

Anyhoo, Snukie -- did you upload the pictures from last night's BPH? Haven't had much time to backboodle.

Carry on. . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | December 15, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it but I'm leaning toward Kguy's view of the modern cineplex. The screens are small, the sound level deafening and by the way when did it begin to be ok to have a four-way animated discussion about boyfriends and break-ups during a movie I paid $9.50 to see?

I have warmed up to watching movie on my 24in. high def monitor. Watching the blu-ray version of The Godfather, Goodfellas and 2001, a Space Odyssey won me over.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 15, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"The Brave Little Toaster," liked, totally rocked.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 15, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I most certainly *will* be there 'mudge, if I can wrangle an invitation from CollegequaParkian. I *loved* Brother Sun Sister Moon when I saw it in the theatre, so long ago now. I wonder if it is so infused with the flower-child spirit that it would now seem dated? What say you, CqP?

Posted by: Yoki | December 15, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Despite having a tin ear I know all the songs of 101 Dalmatians (original version) by hearts. This is what an almost-daily showing for a couple of years will do to your brain.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 15, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Dmd, if you had an orange chair with those "modern" arms -- you must be my daughter!

Posted by: nellie4 | December 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

BSunSisterMoon feels like a set piece, Yoki, with the full flower of the Jesus movement people softened by the folkie-troubadour style of that hypnotically quixotic Donovan, "First there is a Mountain then there is no mountain then there is" singer. Cat Stevens-like without being too insouciant.

I think that Dances with Wolves is much more dated, as a movie that captured us THEN, but now incites a tinge of regret.

I feel tender toward myself and others of that time (1968); a bit sheepish yes. But not really that I am seeing something dated.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, you incurable romantic.

In the present time, the theater experience bears no resemblence to those glorious wisps of memory.

Forget the movie. I invite you all to Tex-Mex at my place. 3D people, 3D conversations. Nothing digital. BYOB.

Posted by: MsJS | December 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

ByoB --

Butter, check.
(osso) Bucco, check.
Bagna cauda, check.

Be there, aloha.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Donovan singing the theme.

The words, of course, reflect Francis'mysticism.

Bernstein was to do the music; did not work out, to the best I think. However, snippets did give rise to parts of Bernstein's Mass.

BTW -- the costumes approached accuracy, particularly the threadbare sack cloth that most of the towns people wore.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

And check out the "The Making of Space Chair." Pretty neat.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 15, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I missed The Brave Little Toaster. I guess my kids are too old. We were very into Dr. Seuss at our house.

How did you know I'm going to make cheese straws tonight, CqP? I'll gladly come and bring them, as well as my chick flicks: Shakespeare in Love, Sense and Sensibility, Bridget Jones (both movies). I'll even break out some of the wine I brought home from California.

Posted by: slyness | December 15, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I saw Brother Sun Sister Moon not too long ago and found the film held up a tad better than Donovan has, but that's just me. I was surprised too by a resurgence of interest in Donovan by the younger generation.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 15, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

via William Connolley I find Trenberth's paper on tracking all the energy in climate

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 15, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Every time one of you mentions cheese straws I keep imagining the something like cheese strings my kids like to eat, and then I think these people are very good cooks why would they make something like that. A quick google search has informed me what an actual cheese straw is, so not what I was picturing.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Double honours for Jason Reitman, Golden Globe nominee today, torch bearer tomorrow/Thursday (not sure which day, online article is dated today but story is for tomorrows paper).

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I think my son probably watched "Brave Little Toaster" as much as did Son-of-G. The characterizations were magnificent, and the story had humor coupled with just the right amount of poignancy. (Although it did kinda ruin second-hand appliance outlets for me.)

If you have room in your collection for just one DVD featuring anthropomorphic home appliances on a grand quest, make sure you choose this film.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 15, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Better than The Self-Loathing Dishwasher?

Posted by: engelmann | December 15, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm on my way, MsJS. Do you like beer? I'll also bring a bit of the peach salsa my daughter just made.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 15, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

doesn't the JAsl usually coincide with a JAFam Vacation?

Posted by: omnigood | December 15, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

TBG: Love beer. My local packy doesn't carry Dogfish Pale Ale, but I'm sure a suitable substitute is available. Peach salsa sounds fab.

Engelmann: We're just a script away from Pixar's next great animated feature film. I'll work on it over the holidays.

Posted by: MsJS | December 15, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

We couldn't afford "The Brave Little Toaster" when I was a kid. We had to make do with "The Timid Little Hotplate."

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Whew! Managed to survive the Hill, and now, the Holiday BPH pics!! (I hope)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 15, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

There's a BPH Instruction Manual?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, you weren't there, 'Mudge, so we had to make do...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 15, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

We were so poor we had to make do with the tepid sterno can.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | December 15, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

You had a sterno can!?! We were so poor we had to hold the bread over the votive candle at church and think brave thoughts.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah? We were so poor we had a single flint.

Posted by: Yoki | December 15, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

What!? No picture of TBG? Scotty, what WERE you thinking?

Love the photos you got, though...

Posted by: slyness | December 15, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

You had flint did you? We had to make do with very small rocks.

Posted by: rashomon | December 15, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

You had flint? We were so poor we lived under a fallen down tree and had to try to make a spark by striking two toadstools together.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Okay -- calling frosti, Raysmom and bia -- we've got a quorum.

I thought the dancers were really good tonight. My favorite just has to be Russell. He is really, really versatile and terrific to watch and cute as a button (love his smile -- very infectious). I thought Ellenore and Kathryn were very good, too. Jakob is Jakob and will be just fine in his career. Ryan and Ashleigh were also very good. I think I just wish that their dance together would have been in their genre, though.

Yep, it's gonna be a toss-up. What do you guys think?

Posted by: -ftb- | December 15, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Trees and toadstools is it? We lived on a sandbar. If we wanted a fire we had to wait for lightning to strike one of us.

Posted by: rashomon | December 15, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, the elves LET you use toadstools? We had to pay with three agates per strike. In winter, FIVE agates per strike; the birchbark screen to keep the wind out? Extra: market rate.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 15, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

We couldn't afford elves, CqP. We had to dress up field mice in little tiny hats and pointed shoes.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 15, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Now it's time for a hearty round of "Little Rabbit Fou Fou."

Willbrod, will you lead us in song?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | December 15, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

More pictures of the year. The F-18 shot (military aircraft, I know) is nearly as incredible as the baseball.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

...pickin' up the field mice and poppin' 'em on the head...

Posted by: yellojkt | December 15, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Again great pictures Yello, the plane picture is incredible, but #18 took my breath away. Why is it that pictures of the frailty of life/ugliness of human nature seems to have so much impact. Not as obvious as yesterday but not a lot of happy/feel good photos.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 15, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

You guys had *fire*? /staggering backward with my head to my forehead/

Who's for s'mores?

Posted by: -dbG- | December 15, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Ah. Yellojkt brings up one of the great dividing lines of life. Is it "poppin' 'em on the head" or "boppin' 'em on the head"? I myself ascribe to the "boppin'" lyrics, but have an open mind for others' foibles. I am authorized to say that Beatrice, after careful consideration, agrees with me. I'm sure that's what she was saying.

And thanks to Scottynuke for the BPH pictures. Between you and yellojkt I bet everyone was memorialized on film who so wished.

Bop.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Bop

Posted by: nellie4 | December 15, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

And Bunny, not rabbit.

Posted by: nellie4 | December 15, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Ivansmom.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 15, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm here to serve, TBG.

Time for bed!

Bop.

Posted by: Ivansmom | December 15, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

A component of Obama's new jobs program, reporting courtesy of Washington Post's Walter Pincus for Wednesday's paper (what numbers!):

Another facet--the overseas jobs program, reporting done by Maureen Dowd last Sunday:

It seems late to realize this, but [SecDef Robert] Gates told reporters he had only recently learned the “eye-opener” that the Taliban were able to attract so many fighters because they paid more. Generals in Afghanistan said the Taliban dole out $250 to $300 a month, while the Afghan Army paid about $120. So Gates has made sure that recruits get a raise to $240.
***

Aye, and here's the rub... from the same Dowd op-ed:

But given the Flintstones nature of the country [Afghanistan], it’s more basic. Americans have to teach the vast majority of Afghan recruits to read and write before they can get to security training. It’s hard to arrest people if you can’t read them their rights and take names.
***

I was reminded of the importance of language skills for military personnel when I read in late summer and early fall the four works of historical fiction by author Bernard Cornwell about Alfred the Great of Britain. Cornwell penned that Alfred insisted that his military leaders, including the fictional fighter Uhtred, know how to read and write so they would correctly understand and carry out his, Alfred's, written orders.

So, Maureen, are the new recruits to the Afghan army going to be arresting (And reading those detained their rights?) and incarcerating the Taliban (How many Afghan prisons are there?), or shooting them? How many teachers are we hiring to teach the Afghan military recruits basic literacy in the Afghani language? How many schools and classrooms are we providing? How many translators?

Posted by: laloomis | December 15, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Studly policedog
Spots Bunny Foo-Foo bopping:
Cop nabs; bunny sues.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 15, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi.

And then I thought that perhaps I Aught not.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 15, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

cellular signal;
a crush of little red coats;
coontie school is out

Posted by: DNA_Girl | December 15, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Hope hare suit ensues
with a bunny not a goon;
'dog keeps his kneecaps

Posted by: DNA_Girl | December 15, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Those BPH pictures are great, Scotty.

Posted by: Yoki | December 15, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Very nice BPH pictures, Scotty.

Yello, thanks for the links of those great pictures.

I saw some very familiar pictures in our Saturday English newspaper (I am forever late in getting through the Sat paper.) There were pictures of Carina Nebula, Stephan’s Quintet and a couple of others. A look at the byline and what do you know, the article is by Mr. Joel Achenbach of The Washington Post. Joel, I hope they pay you royalty.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 16, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Woke up convinced - completely certain - it was about 6:00 a.m. It's 3:36.
Hi, Rainforest.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 16, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

On beyond neutronium lies "electroweak stars?"

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 16, 2009 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Only if they forgot to pay the utility bills, Jumper...

How DID I miss TBG??? *scratchin' mah pointy 'lil haid and pondering proper penance*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 16, 2009 5:06 AM | Report abuse

'S'okay, Scotty, don't worry about it. You were up early, do you have another appointment on the Hill today? Hope yesterday's went okay.

Good morning, everyone! Hi Cassandra!

Ham biscuits on the ready room table, with appropriate hot and cold beverages. I juiced and chilled the oranges last night, so it's fresh.

Posted by: slyness | December 16, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey bop your bunny all you want. Who am I to judge?

She bop - he bop -a - we bop
I bop - you bop - a - they bop
be bop - be bop - a - lu - she bop,
I hope He will understand
She bop - he bop - a - we bop
I bop - you bop - a - they bop
be bop - be bop - a - lu - she bop
Oo - oo - she - do - she bop - she bop

Posted by: yellojkt | December 16, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Who you calling hare suit, DNAGirl? I shave and wax.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 16, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Who you calling hare suit, DNAGirl? I shave and wax.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 16, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The color of 2010 is
TURQUOISE

A color of Suessian bird eggs and squash blossom necklaces on lady-denizens of Flagstaff; of every third fruit on the dreaded porcelain berry plant; an accent color in one of Martha Stewart's many whisper-blue powder rooms.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 16, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Double post courtesy of the Droid. 5:30 train to NYC and no time to Xmas shop. Bummer.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 16, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Just wanted to pop in to say hello, and make it known that I am still part of the living world.

Hello, Slyness, and thanks a bunch.

I see the talking heads have relented a bit on Tiger. It's past time. Golf isn't the only the thing Tiger will be remembered for, and I'll bet there are some folks out there that would like to find out for themselves just what that is. And moving on.....

The g-girl has been with me for the past few days. Her mother has swine flu. She seems to be doing better, but just looks really, really, weak. My dad is with his sister for now. He said he was tired of looking at me sleeping on that couch. I didn't want him to go, and I'm surprised how much I miss him. It's just quiet here. I'm still working on the aches and pains, but that comes with being old.

I hope everyone is ready for Christmas. We have a Christmas program for the children at church Saturday, so perhaps by then, I'll be in the spirit. The fog has finally lifted here, which has been a real downer for the Christmas spirti. Now it's cold.

Martooni, Mudge, Yoki, Scotty, Lindaloo, and everyone, have a great day. I'm off to the radio.

Wonderful kit, JA. I'm getting ready to Google now. Need an update on one of the prophets. I was an outdoor kid. My sisters and I were always in the woods. We didn't have television for a long time, so we had to make our own fun.

Posted by: cmyth4u | December 16, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

laloomis, your post last night...I think I mentioned this here the other day. The question isn't schools and translators, but nation-building or state-building. Important distinction. Considering the short-term nature of our intended term of involvement *on the ground* and further considering the inherent language issues among the populace (only 50% speak Dari), state-building in the short term would seem the obvious choice. I don't think the goal is to replicate our form of government (with rules about the reading of rights), but instead to afford the opportunity to develop their own viable system to educate and police.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 16, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Colbert is a funny, funny man...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 16, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Driving in to work this morning I heard on NPR that Georgetown U. Hospital (where I have all my work done) and Washington Medical Center just completed 13 kidney transplants over two days, involving a 26-person chain exchanging kidneys. It was the largest transplant swap chain in history. Being interested in this subject, I searched for it in the WaPo; couldn't find it. NPR had it. A Google search showed CNN had it, the Wash Times had it, WJLA had it, the NY Daily News had it (staff written, to boot). AP had it. The Toronto Star had it. The Mayo Clinic Web site had it. UPI had it, and I didn't even know they were still in business.

NPR said the hospitals are interested in doing even larger swap chains.

[Fair disclosure: my interest stems from the fact that my brother has been on a kidney transplant list for several years. I myself am not an eligible donor because of my various meds and conditions; otherwise I would. My wife is currently undergoing testing, as she has volunteered to donate a kidney to my brother, but is not compatible; therefore she is going to try to enter one of those chain systems whereby she donates to X who donates to Y who finds somebody to donate to Z, etc., until the chain is completed. It's all being worked on. The process is slow.]

Hey, Cassandra, good to see you back in the fold.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 16, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey 'Mudge, only mention I found was a dead-tree front page photo & caption. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 16, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Mudge, I'd heard that NPR story about the kidney chain, too, and thought it a wonderful story for the season. I hope it all works out for your family.

Scottynuke, thanks for that Colbert link (you know I'm a fan). Going to have to check that out soon...

I think that the folks trying to help develop Afghanistan into a functioning stand-alone state are highly concerned with literacy levels for the police or army at this point in time, nor should they be. [Is there something in the Afghan constitution that assures Miranda rights?]

I don't think the Taliban or al Quada have written entrance exams.

A stable civil situation maintained by peace officers (police or army) who have marginal levels of written literacy would be preferable to me as a platform for moving Afghnistan forward towards functional government. Education and literacy for the army and police should follow when there's reduced need for folks to maintain order in the field.

Even with the most successful outcome I can imagine, an effective democratic Afghan government is not going to look like the US. Or even Texas.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

ftb, I'm late on the dance commentary, but here goes. Everyone did well last night, but to me there's a real difference between Russell, Jakob, and Kathryn on the one hand and Ellenore, Ryan, and Ashleigh on the other. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the first three won, though I bet you're right that Russell has the best chance. I liked Ellenore early on and still think she's good, but somehow Kathryn has overtaken her over the last few weeks in polish and fluidity and getting every style down.

Ryan and Ashleigh's dance was oh so sweet. I was also a little disappointed that they didn't get a latin dance, but I wonder if it might have been a let-down, just because expectations would have been so high. I wasn't particularly impressed with their original audition, and while they've both improved a lot throughout the show, there's no reason to think they would have improved in their specialty, since the whole process has been about focusing on unfamiliar styles. In any case, I'm very happy for them that they made it through the whole season together. Again, just so sweet.

Posted by: -bia- | December 16, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Somebody explain to me why the logo for the Post's "Best of the Decade" shows five people, three of whom are not even nominated (and one's fictional, though I don't object)? Who is the girl?

Why does the "Best" then morph into "the Most Influential" (which is quite different, of course)? Which do they *really* want, the "best" people in whatever field, or the most influential? Because, you see, Bush, Cheney and bin Laden are likely semi-finalists. Not what I'd call 'the best" of anything.

Why are their links under it to culture, news, and sports -- and none of them work? They all take me to the "most influential" bracket.

Why are the links under that all mis-directed? Liz Kelly's top ten celebrity trainwrecks only takes me to her upcoming chat page. No trainwrecks list anywhere. (I've already seen it, but that's not the point. The point is a broken link.) Milbank's link only takes you to his chat, although there is a list of those top 10 scandals in a sidebar.

You all know how much I like Gene Robinson-- but why does his list of top 10 "domestic" events include the Iraq and Afghan invasions and Abu Graib? I'm fairly certain those events took place elsewhere. Unless someone is trying desperately to change the meaning of "domestic." I thought I had a pretty good handle on the meaning of a "domestic" story versus an international or foreign events story.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

(I might point out I am highly suspicious that a certain Boodler may have been responsible for submitting to Gene Robinson's chat the notion that the Red Sox winning the 2004 World Series was the most import domestic event of the past decade.)

(Because clearly it was the Phillies win in 2008 that clearly dominated the decade, even though the Sox also won in 2007, which doesn't even count because they were playing a team named after a carton squirrel.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 16, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

SCC cartoon

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 16, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I was dead at the time, 'Mudge. *whistling tunelessly*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Mudgekins,

There is no need to dis Colorado like that.

Love, A Colorado Native

Moose :oD

(Kind of ironic with my handle, eh?)

Posted by: Moose13 | December 16, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It would appear the squirrels, carton and otherwise, have hacked into the Post's website and chewed through all the links, Mudge.

MrJS says the World Series win that dominated the decade was the White Sox in 2005. The team won dedspite getting no respect, even in its home town. That they weren't mentioned in any "Best of the Decade" article only proves his point.

Posted by: MsJS | December 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Britney Spears.

Posted by: engelmann | December 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't dissing Colorado. It's a fine state, for people who don't need oxygen. And I love Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Of course, it lacks saltwater.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

New kit on bankers,
kittens, human sacrifice,
And money markets.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

True, no saltwater.

But it does have real mountains.

Posted by: Moose13 | December 16, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

SCC for my 9:48: "are *not* highly concerned with literacy levels"

Oy, I really botched *that.*