Obama on war, peace, the spark of the divine

The war president just got his Nobel Peace Prize. The acceptance speech was classic Obama: war and peace seen from every angle. War is never glorious but sometimes it is necessary. Peace is our goal, but sometimes we need to kill evil people. King and Gandhi were great men but their philosophies need an asterisk. Such was the Obama message today.

Just a couple of weeks ago, Dick Cheney said Obama is "far more radical" than Cheney had expected, and that Obama doesn't seem to believe in American greatness. Here's what the "radical" said today:

I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people. For make no mistake: Evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler's armies. Negotiations cannot convince al- Qaeda's leaders to lay down their arms. To say that force is sometimes necessary is not a call to cynicism - it is a recognition of history; the imperfections of man and the limits of reason.

Crazy.

We're also told that Obama constantly apologizes for the U.S. Well, here's what he said this time:

the world must remember that it was not simply international institutions - not just treaties and declarations - that brought stability to a post-World War II world. Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: The United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms. The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans. We have borne this burden not because we seek to impose our will. We have done so out of enlightened self-interest - because we seek a better future for our children and grandchildren, and we believe that their lives will be better if other peoples' children and grandchildren can live in freedom and prosperity.

Um, where's the "sorry"?

Obama is not a radical; he's a liberal and a pragmatist, and not necessarily in that order. That extends to getting peace prizes. He didn't go to Oslo and extoll peace so much as he went there and said we need to use every means possible to make a better world -- using diplomats as well as naval destroyers.

Afghanistan, to hear Obama today, is the good war. Iraq is, apparently, unmentionable. It was just implicit, haunting the text.

Obama (for once) had the good sense to avoid slamming Bush directly. That would have been 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Others will surely disagree on this, but I think Obama too often has invoked the Eight Terrible Years (as he did in his economics speech two days ago). At some point it starts to sound like boilerplate language. The Bush graph. But great presidents look ahead.

Obama closed strong today. Excerpt:

So let us reach for the world that ought to be - that spark of the divine that still stirs within each of our souls. Somewhere today, in the here and now, a soldier sees he's outgunned but stands firm to keep the peace. Somewhere today, in this world, a young protestor awaits the brutality of her government, but has the courage to march on. Somewhere today, a mother facing punishing poverty still takes the time to teach her child, who believes that a cruel world still has a place for his dreams.

By now you've probably read Tracee Hamilton's take on Tiger Woods, but make sure you don't miss the Gilbert Arenas quote at the end of Michael Lee's Wizards Insider blog:

Arenas said he hadn't read Haywood's blog entry about Woods, but he offered his own take on the situation. "Man, I don't know why everybody's sitting around here like it's something new. Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods! It's not like he looks like Seal. It's not like he's not going to have a whole bunch of women. He's Tiger Woods! I'm surprised 400 girls didn't come out. It's Tiger Woods y'all. It's Tiger Woods man. Did you think no women were going to come out? I was expecting at least 25 by the end of this week."

By Joel Achenbach  |  December 10, 2009; 8:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Going deeper into the heart of things
Next: Free Tiger Woods

Comments

Does anyone really care what Cheney says?

Posted by: Yoki | December 10, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I was just coming over to ask if others read the speech, I am half way through, so good love how he is both optimistic and realistic.

Now to finish then read the kit.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The closing two paragraphs of Obama's speech brough tears to my eyes.

Great kit Joel.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Not to worry. Republicans will complain that Obama didn't use the occasion to threaten to occupy Dubai in order to assure that American investors get their money back. That's the way the great powers behaved in the 19th century era that Newt Gingrich, at least, wants us to return to.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | December 10, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Front Page Alert, of course...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Mudged myself:

Great Glee Rumors:

They are trying to get Idina Menzel to be the rival singing coach. If they could get Kristen Chenoweth to guest star as well, that would be a Wicked (pun intended) reunion.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Yep. Classic Obama. He refuses to fall back on simple platitudes that sound good but are totally divorced from reality. Smart, realistic, honest, and courageous.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a great Obama speech. And agree with Yoki, I'm pretty much at the point where any kind of quote from Cheney, in whatever context, even to use as a foil, just makes me crazy. I have a newfound appreciation for the old Soviet practice of making certain Politburo members "non-persons," and doctoring them out of photographs. Would that we could do that with Cheney.

No, have not read Tracee Hamilton. I said I wasn't gonna read any more about TW, and I have kept my word. Read the Arenas quote, above, though, and Arenas is spot on the money.

Leftover from previous kit, I, too, am highly suspicious of "the new journalism." And I am deeply suspicious that the "new journalism" simply masks lack of deep knowledge of the old masters: Ernie Pyle, Joseph Mitchell, Mailer (in his nonfiction), Capote (In Cold Blood), Wolfe (Electric Kool-Aid...), Breslin/Hammill/McGinness, Updike (in his early New Yorker mode), Harry Golden, Herb Gold, Janet Flanner, Ben Hecht, Studs Terkel, etc. All long-form story-tellers, every one. I guess I shouldn't complain if the new peeps are just "reinventing the wheel," so long as there still *is* a wheel.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, "recurring" has now become a noun: "Broadway star Idina Menzel is in negotiations to join Fox's "Glee" as a recurring." (yello's THR link)

I suppose I am an objecting. Or a carping. TBG, are you an incensing? A protesting? I'm certain CqP is a tisktisking, if not a headshaking.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Joel,
If you are going to keep quoting Obama in context it's just going to annoy those that prefer to misquote him out of same.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

G'day y'all.

Missed the entire previous Boodle. I'm sure there are many things there I would have liked to respond to, but this is where I'm going to start my online day.

I appreciate the President's speech, Mr. A's entry, and the comments so far. Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I can tell they mean a great deal to you.

My personal view regarding armed conflict is if you use violence to solve your end of the problem, you've just given the other side(s) reason to do the same thing.

I understand why a lot of people disagree and I am not going to make a longwinded case for my view. I believe we make our own realities at all levels, and I chose to fill mine in other ways.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

For starters, this is not a slam against the President. I just don't think he deserved the Peace Prize without having achieved something of note. In essence, the Nobel committee awarded the prize essentially based on possible future achievments based on Obama's speeches and pronouncements. Now, if we in fact manage to disengage from Iraq in next couple of years, and leave Afghanistan in a few years with a more or less stable central government, then maybe the prize is due retroactivly. But again, the Nobel committee made this choice, not the President.

Now, having said that, I think the speech today was elegant and practical. The Repub's aren't going to be happy with anything Obama says. Anything short of "we're the biggest and best nation there ever was and will ever be, and the rest of the world better just get on board" won't do for them.

Posted by: ebtnut | December 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Here is the Dubya smackdown:

///Where force is necessary, we have a moral and strategic interest in binding ourselves to certain rules of conduct. And even as we confront a vicious adversary that abides by no rules, I believe the United States of America must remain a standard bearer in the conduct of war. That is what makes us different from those whom we fight. That is a source of our strength. That is why I prohibited torture. That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. And that is why I have reaffirmed America's commitment to abide by the Geneva Conventions. We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend. (Applause.) And we honor -- we honor those ideals by upholding them not when it's easy, but when it is hard. ///

And, no, he does not need to be named. We all know who he was talking about.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Yello, he had to acknowledge the Nobel Committee for what they did; giving him the Peace prize for not being W. I still see his nomination as a pointed condemnation of the Old Regime.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Reposting:
A song, a song, a song, in honor of President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize awarded this morning in Norway!

Pete Seeger's "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy":

It was back in nineteen forty-two,
I was a member of a good platoon.
We were on maneuvers in-a Loozianna,
One night by the light of the moon.
The captain told us to ford a river,
That's how it all begun.
We were -- knee deep in the Big Muddy,
But the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, are you sure,
This is the best way back to the base?"
"Sergeant, go on! I forded this river
'Bout a mile above this place.
It'll be a little soggy but just keep slogging.
We'll soon be on dry ground."
We were -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, with all this equipment
No man will be able to swim."
"Sergeant, don't be a Nervous Nellie,"
The Captain said to him.
"All we need is a little determination;
Men, follow me, I'll lead on."
We were -- neck deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

All at once, the moon clouded over,
We heard a gurgling cry.
A few seconds later, the captain's helmet
Was all that floated by.
The Sergeant said, "Turn around men!
I'm in charge from now on."
And we just made it out of the Big Muddy
With the captain dead and gone.

We stripped and dived and found his body
Stuck in the old quicksand.
I guess he didn't know that the water was deeper
Than the place he'd once before been.
Another stream had joined the Big Muddy
'Bout a half mile from where we'd gone.
We were lucky to escape from the Big Muddy
When the big fool said to push on.

Well, I'm not going to point any moral;
I'll leave that for yourself
Maybe you're still walking, you're still talking
You'd like to keep your health.
But every time I read the papers
That old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.

Waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.
Waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.
Waist deep! Neck deep! Soon even a
Tall man'll be over his head, we're
Waist deep in the Big Muddy!
And the big fool says to push on!

Posted by: laloomis | December 10, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Re-ignoring.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think we acknowledge that the award was for Not Being Bush, so the American voters should be sharing in this prize.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

So what's your point Loomis? And if it's that you are against further involvement in Afghanistan. Fine. That's a legitimate point of view. But if you want to garner any respect, then write a post in which you ridicule and lambaste Secretary Clinton for supporting and defending America's policy in Afghanistan.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Baby alligator, snakes found in university dorm

The Associated Press
Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:16 PM

"FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- A baby alligator, a diamondback rattlesnake, six pythons and three chameleons have been found in a University of Arkansas dorm room. Campus police Lt. Gary Crain said Monday the reptiles - and four white mice that were apparently intended as lunch - were found in Maple Hill West.

"UA student Jacob Miller of Marion told police that he and roommate Michael Robbins of West Memphis were getting the reptiles free online and selling them for a profit. Crain says the two were not arrested but were fined by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission because it's illegal to possess alligators or rattlesnakes without certification as a handler.

"Crain says police went to the room after dorm's resident director received an anonymous phone call reporting marijuana and reptiles inside.

"He says no drugs were found."
--------------------

Crain added that when police entered the dorm room, the python and the four white mice had Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" album cranked up to 84 decibels and were eating their way through four boxes of Frosted Flakes, without milk.

Police said the alligator, which was lying on its back, could not stop giggling.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Double snort.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Your sense of divinity is certainly different than mine, Joel.

Grass by Carl Sandburg

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and the passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

Posted by: laloomis | December 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

SCC: pythons, plural.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well now. I just got off the online Swedish Television to watch the prizes given out to all the other winners, and it was just lovely. What moved me the most, however, was when the King gave out the first prize (one of three in physics) to Prof. Kao. Apparently, Prof. Kao is suffering from Alzheimers and because of that, the King came over to him, instead of the other way around. I thought that was just so sweet, and it brought tears to my eyes. Prof. Kao sat through the entire ceremony without incident and I was glad for him for that.

The gala dinner starts in an hour, and all the papers will be filled of pictures and discussions of the gowns worn by the Queen, the crown princess and the just plain princess.

I'm still trying to get Obama's entire speech (not just excerpts) to read for myself. What I have heard and read was his usual elegance and intelligence. Man! How elitist is that! *sigh*

Posted by: -ftb- | December 10, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the snakes & alligators were part of a business class project. Like "Risky Business."

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone please explain to me how Willie Nelson thinks he can sing jazz standards, even with Diana Krall backing him up?

*shaking my head*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Police added that the pythons had apparently duct-taped the sleeping diamondback rattlesnake to a chair, with its rattler immersed in a bucket of warm water.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

ftb: Here ya go---

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Joel, here is an excellent piece of reportage. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/09/AR2009120904274.html?hpid=artslot

Probably not long enough to be considered "long form," by any means, yet it cries out for such treatment.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

With Diana Krall backing me up I could do anything.

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | December 10, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm back from reading the speech. Here's a prediction: the book of the collected speeches of Barack Obama will be a classic, required reading for generations of students of history and political science and for the rest of us who want to see how he elegantly defined the issues and moved us toward solving the problems that we face.

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Because he wrote jazz standards?

Stardust, anybody?

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Found it and read it.

WOW!!!

Posted by: -ftb- | December 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Writers are not always singers, yello. I had to change the satellite radio channel when he started mangling "If I Had You."

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Avert your eyes, 'Mudge...

Joel too, probably...

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Where's Froomkin when we need him--he was so excellent at calling out Oval Office stagecraft and media manipulation. This Pakistani blogger calls out Obama media manipulation, which makes SecStae Clinton quite a piece of work:

Mrs. Clinton's visit [to Pakistan] was so carefully choreographed that US diplomats launched a strict vetting process to determine which Pakistani television anchors should be allowed to participate in a 'pool interview'. The point was to exclude anyone critical of US policies ['anti-American' to US diplomats]. This sharply contrasts with the statements Clinton has been giving here, like this one she gave to the television anchors, "It is especially critical that we do more of what you're doing today with your colleagues so that I have a chance to answer the questions that are on the minds of the people of Pakistan."

But when time came for the real questions, she dodged them. So much for a successful public diplomacy.

Despite all this vetting, one anchor, Talat Hussain from Aaj News, managed to throw a couple of 'real' questions that unsettled Secretary Clinton. Visibly embarrassed, she kept repeating the line, 'No one can say Pakistani media is not free after this' and she kept repeating it until the end of the show.

At one point, media officials in the provincial capital Lahore wrote to higher-ups complaining against US diplomats who manipulated which Pakistani journalists should be allowed to interact with Clinton.

"She came here to interact with Pakistanis. US diplomats don't get to decide which Pakistani media can attend her public events and which one cannot," a senior Punjab provincial official told me from Lahore.

Or this from the Washington Post:

In between official meetings and the dinner Wednesday, Clinton held a combative interview with leading Pakistani reporters. She insisted that the Obama administration sees the U.S.-Pakistan relationship as one of equals, and she batted aside questions about alleged secret U.S. military and security contractor operations, which the U.S. Embassy here has repeatedly denied.
***

So, maybe someone here knows something about those alleged military and security contractor operations--please note that Kuraishi discusses them in his blog post. Besides Hamid Kharzai's bother, how many other operatives in Afghanistan and Pakistan are on the CIA payroll?

Posted by: laloomis | December 10, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Mudge, your 11:39 echoed my sentiments exactly. The problem is I laughed so hard when I saw it I had to go borrow one of those paper towels from shriek. Coffee on the desk, again!

Posted by: nellie4 | December 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Without opposable thumbs, the b0ng was of no use to the alligator. Some of the snakes had a plan for a coordinated effort, but the silly freshman kept bogarting.

They opted for the brownies instead.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 10, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, Loomis, I give you credit for acknowledging that Secretary Clinton is not on your side. It makes your criticisms of Obama's war policy seem less like sour grapes.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

whoever is writing mr. obama's stuff is the best we have seen since JFK. and if he is doing them himself....we should count our blessings. contrary to what some people in texas would have you believe, good writing IS a sign of superior thinking, and thinking matters.

and i hate to part company with the boss, but i am here to state that it is WAAAY too early to forget about the bush/cheney abominations. perhaps i exaggerate, but seems to me we have not felt a similar need to 'forget' about many other historical catastrophes.

Posted by: butlerguy | December 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Yup. And the same guy wrote Patsy Cline's "Crazy," too. Which is a very jazz-type song, but we miss that aspect because of Cline's C&W milieu.

Here's Krall, Willie and Elvis Costello doing "Crazy." Pretty respectable, but not "great." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYzQG9ICJE

Here's the Norah Jones cover of "Crazy," said by some to be the best cover since Cline. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQyzZBMQ8M

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Brownies. Granted, I have lived a very sheltered life. But when I was in college I never once saw anybody with brownies of that sort. Which is probably just as well otherwise the entire course of my life might have taken a real "Reverend Jim" kind of path.

'cause, man, I am helpless before even regular brownies. 'specially with ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Time for lunch.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I love Norah Jones but do not like that version of Crazy that much.

Do like this version by KD Lang.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods acts true to his Y chromosome and spreads his seed as far as he can. That is unremarkable. What would be remarkable is to find rich and powerful men who do not yield to temptation. That requires a person of tremendous commitment to principle. For those who hoped Tiger was such a man, they are probably disappointed.

It would be helpful if those men were lauded in the media instead of the ordinary failures of little head over large head that routinely get trotted out for us to view.

Posted by: edbyronadams | December 10, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

OMG, Scotty. E & P shutting down. OMG.

The end of civilization as we know it.

The Endtimes are here.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Surprised there is not more hostile posts today, a quick review of the comments at the Globe and Mail for Obama's speech revealed many nasty posts.

Should it be needed, I have an apple/cranberry crumble in the oven and Chai Sugar cookies about to go in the oven.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Think you're right, dmd3.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Writers are not always singers, yello."

Somebody should have explained that to Bob Dylan a long, long time ago.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with you there, Yello. Dylan singing The Little Drummer Boy? I cringed.

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

A classmate in my high school philosophy class brought in brownies for the teacher one day. When I began devouring them, he tried to warn me off. I blithely ignored him and was disappointed they weren't stronger.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

RIP, E&P.
So it goes.

Billboard is not long for this world either.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hostile posts do not fare well here, dmd. And I suspect many of the Americans who frequent this Boodle voted for Obama, whereas Canadians, by definition, did not.

He does know how to deliver a line and his speechwriter(s) are very adept at writing to his oratory style.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The RoveStorms were much worse before you could comment on the main stories. Those draw all the crazies like moths to krieg lights. Nowadays we just get the occasional backwash from some bigger tempest.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Trust me MsJS we wish we could vote for Obama.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a speech Bush II or Cheney could have given. The usual Orwellian doublespeak. Obama left out Vietnam, the overthrow of governments in Iran, Chile, Guatemala, support for brutal right wing governments around the world, etc.

The plain fact, which should be clear to anyone with strong moral values and conscience is giving any peace award to a war president is wrong. Bush II, Cheney, Reagan, Nixon, Johnson, Truman should have a peace prize too if the standards are to be so low.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | December 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The most notable event involving brownies at my high school resulted in the infamous phrase "Free the Ex Lax Seven."

Posted by: Raysmom | December 10, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

laloomis - Froomkin's not THAT hard to find. The Washington Post just stopped using his services, they didn't kill him or anything. Here's his HuffPost page:

And here's a piece about Obama & Afghanistan from late September. At the bottom, there's advice about keeping up with his writing.

Posted by: bobsewell | December 10, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Death, was the pseudonym in XIX c. press of Mr. Nobel, the inventor of dynamite and chemical explosives that made him extremely wealthy in the prussian and I World War. His only rival was Mr. Krupp, who made grease with nazi prisoners for his cannons. But Nobel was smarter. He set companies in all countries to sell weapons to each contender. Uncle Fred also said about the Nobel Peace he instituted not to loose his very young activist lover: 'my factories will make peace earlier than all those congresses by inventing weapons that annihilate entire nations in a second'. Right now all the wannabe Nobels assembled at CERN have switched a quark cannon that will shoot black holes to this planet, a Damocles Machine that menaces our very own survival, called in the peaceful newspeak of the new era, an instrument of research. You live in an Orwellian era in which all words are the anti-truth of what they really mean. i suggest the next for CERN if we are still here LOL Rhetoric can cheat every human on Earth. What we CANNOT CHEAT are the laws of the Universe.
If Obama really wants to stop nuclear proliferation I suggest he stops the future of those bombs, the creation of mass bombs (M=E/c2) and the 'peaceful evolution' of black holes, here on Earth. That would be a 'change we believe in' ... see why earth is at danger at www.lhcdefence.org

Posted by: luisancho | December 10, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: Yoki | December 10, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Whiny Virgina high school football teams don't want to play on natural turf in the rain.

Yes, that was a troll.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

A quark cannon. I see. Gotta git me one o' them bad boys.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

All the cool kids have one Mudge!

Chai Sugar cookies are ready, and they are good, thanks to Moose for first mentioning them.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

In today's least surprising development, Salahi's watch is a fake.

Posted by: rashomon | December 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Mahmoud Karzai, the brother of Hamid Karzai, owns a restaurant in Baltimore on Charles Street called The Helmand. I highly recommend it and urge a special trip to eat there.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it was von Clauswitz who pointed out that the biggest problem with black hole-shooting quark cannons was getting the enemy to stand still long enough for you to build a 20-mile-diameter underground ring across the valley from where they pitched their tents and sat around their campfires roasting their weiners. (Clauswitz had some issues.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Those 'one P' Philipe watches are much rarer and more valuable than the declasse Philippe versions. Same goes for the two-L Rollexes. At least that is what my watch dealer on the corner (and I do mean corner) of Broadway and Canal claims.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

But a good Flatulence Exploder is omnidirectional.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I see what my problem was...I was trying to make some sense of what luisancho posted.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

mfthesemfmmmaremmfmmfmgood, dmd!

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I would ask for the birth certificates of those two party crashers. There seems to be very few truths about them.

Mudge, everyone knows that Frosted Flakes are at their "best" with chocolate milk. Dry ones? Feh.

The stomach fluid slides have abided, I can spare a towel or two Raysmom. The VLP is in a foul mood though; 24 hours without food, it can't be true?

The Olympic doobie relay will pass on the main drag right at the end of my steet Saturday morning, barely 500 yards away. I'll have a look.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me I should go to the Helmand for the brownies. Just don't say it.

Protesting against "Obama got the prize for not being Bush." As I recall there was a missile defense program canceled.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of flatulence exploders:

Those of us who live in Rep. Schakowsky’s district love this sort of stuff. We’re so easily entertained.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Olympic 'doobie'? Main 'drag'? Will this kind of talk mushroom, or will is it all just a bunch of smoke?

Posted by: LostInThought | December 10, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Preliminary route has the torch going close to my house as well, the actual route will be released this Saturday - we will be attending the festivities downtown if it isn't close to the house. They are having and ice sculpture contest as part of the celebrations at the waterfront.

Large crowds around Montreal today.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Other major problems with the quark cannon, beside logistics and deployment:

1) It is a muzzle-woader. You have to cweep awound to the fwont and cawefuwwy put in your bwack powder, and then your bwack howe. (No one has yet figuwed out how to woad bwack howes into a cwip.)

2) You must cweep back behind it again and be vewy vewy quiet until the wabbit comes awong.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes, Peace works with howitzers,
and bayonettes,
sometimes, Peace works with kindness,
and compassion,
Sometimes,
words are just words,
empty, unrealized...

I wonder, as he smoked crack cocaine,
in his government supplied housing,
if he smiled, and thought of Hitler,
and how easy it might all be,
with words, empty, powerful, words...

Posted by: simonsays1 | December 10, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If that's so, Mudge, I'm gonna wait until the semi-automatic version is available and the price comes down.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

So what happens when two farticles collide?

Posted by: DNA_Girl | December 10, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The term "quark cannon" does have a certain beauty to it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It's also very difficult to judge your nighttime aim with a black hole cannon...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The doobie enters the House of Commons, to a standing O, :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Depends on their relative phase DNA Girl. If they're out of phase 180 deg. it's an annihilative collision and it smells like a rose. Perfectly in phase it is an additive collision and it really stinks. In between it ranges from fresh bread to rotting crab carcasses.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The poeming wingnuts are back.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

dmd:
I am impressed that the Olympic flame is in two places at once today.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

So Dick Cheney thought President Obama (the current Decider) was more radical than even he expected? Was Dick Cheney referring to President Obama's decision to put more troops into Afghanistan to actually get at the Taliban terrorists that attacked the US in the first place. What a novel thought, attacking the real enemy and getting him "dead or alive" as George W. said he would? Dick Cheney would appear to be a dithering (so-called Republican) idiot. Perhaps with a little more Republican walk and a little less "dick cheney" talk, we might have had Osama bin Laden's head on a pike after more than eight years of Republican dithering.

Posted by: paulusarchitect | December 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for opposing points of view on the boodle, but bad poetry chaps my tuchus.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 10, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Any reference to the Führer is normally a disqualifier.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Frosti's chapped tuchus: http://www.chapsrus.com/pictures/chaps_pics/custom_show_chaps/custom_show_chaps_green.jpg

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Obama, on receiving the Nobel "Peace" Prize, gave a defense of war and himself. It was a little depressing. There is nothing "idle" about people who actively work for peace. Working for peace, to see yourself in another, to regard their humanity as you do your own, is the bravest most courageous thing to do. And before and after war, the commitment to and consciousness of "peace" is what holds us all together.

Posted by: kmbd | December 10, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Mudge!! I would so wear those if I had even a hint of a reason. They match my Blackberry cover.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 10, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Bayonettes? Aren't there too many letters in this word?

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd love for this to happen every day.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had a chance to read or listen to the entire speech yet - will find it soon. While I was driving around this morning I heard some rightwinger on Talk of the Nation say that Obama gave a good speech because he had a good teleprompter. So tired of that - as if no else has ever used one. W Bush always looked like a 12-year-old giving a book report when he attempted a speech.

Anyway, Obama is a good writer and thinker - and Jon Favreau (who is my kid's age) is pretty good too. Plenty of pieces have been written about how they write the speeches - here is one from Time:

Posted by: seasea1 | December 10, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Do I know my chapped tuchus preferences or whut?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

And people say we guys don't pay attention.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, those would be the smaller, more feminine version of the bayonet, methinks...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Love the chaps, Mudge. The color coordination, not so much.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 10, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

But Wilbrod, it's the same color as Frosti's cell phone skin. I thought the color coordination was quite good, myself.

*sigh* CqP and Robin Givhans are never around when you need them.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Bayonettes -- wasn't that a '60s girl group? They came from New Jersey, I think.

Posted by: rashomon | December 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I liked the colour coordination, I have several items of clothing that colour of shades of that colour.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Lime green chaps?

I'm just gonna close the browser and try to get some work done. It's for the best.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think the writer was implying that peace works when in the company of young French women of the Bayonne area.

Posted by: engelmann | December 10, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm peckish for ham suddenly.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So he gets praised for not blaming Bush and not apologizing. This is progress I guess. Obama and all his appointees seem to think everyone loathed Bush as much as they do. They're sorely mistaken. The most disappointed people are the wacko MoveOn.org and Michael Moore types. Obama will have to govern from the middle is he wants to win re-election. He's dug quite a hole for himself so far by governing as the President of San Francisco.

Demcrats just don't get Al Qaeda. Iraq was about drawing them out into a fight and getting rid of SH. Afghanistan was their home field. As Colin Powell said, "We do deserts; we don't do mountains." Obama is now going to show how much smarted he is than Powell now. We'll see. So far Democrats haven't shown any smarts.

Posted by: maxtel1910 | December 10, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of falsifying climate change statistics:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bayonnette makes a nice bilingual portmanteau between baïonette and bayonet though.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, changing your name to Ham Peckishpah, perhaps?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ROTFLMAO.

"smarted"?

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Arggg! Arggg! Maxtel is so wrong he's not even wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
(pant pant)
(puff puff)

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 10, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SCC baïonnette. Hamfisted Peckishpah, yes Scotty.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

And to think I checked in to tell everyone about some more innovation by the Homesick Texan

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I know, Jumper. Ya beat me too it. Al Qaeda wasn't even IN Iraq before we invaded. Maxtel needs to switch his brain cell provider.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Re: "I think Obama too often has invoked the Eight Terrible Years" - the reason it's important for him to continue to do that is to counter the selective amnesia that the Republicans try to promote when they lecture him shamelessly about fiscal responsibility or winning wars.

I don't think he can say it enough - you guys had eight years. What did you accomplish and what state did you leave our country in when you were done?

Posted by: sambam | December 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Achenbach, if you could get your nose out of the Presidential undershorts for a moment, you might notice that there is a year's worth of speeches and actions that is worth considering.

Yes, the President gave a great speech today. By my count it is the FIRST time he has not apologized for his country in countless overseas speeches in Cairo, in the Far East and many more.

As for radical, his EPA has now announced that they will take "command and control" over carbon emissions even though they know it will destroy the economy. That's pretty radical. That's USSR radical.

- He has asked Americans to report on their fellow citizens to the government if they dare oppose his and Congress' complete fraud of a health care plan. That's pretty radical.

- He is turning on the CIA while granting terrorists the largest stage in the world to spout their anti-American hatred. That's pretty radical.

- He has taken unprecedented and unconstitutional government control over a key manufacturing industry. That's pretty radical.

I could go on and on.

But hey. He gave a great speech today, so let's ignore all that other inconvenient stuff.

Posted by: etpietro | December 10, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You guys at the WP are crazy. Cheney was talking about an Obama of a week ago. A week ago, Obama was blaming Bush for all assorted things (so what's so unusual about that). Now, he puts out a speech in which he sounds like Bush! This is the first speech I've seen in which he didn't trash the US and all prior US presidents!

Next week, who knows?

Posted by: Cdgaman | December 10, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The man has a heart of gold, a wallet of gold, - thanks Mr. Soros, and a brain full of Marx. Rave on all of you who love this talking head.
Forget Bush, Cheney and yesterday! Listen to what he doesn't say. His words are rehearsed, shallow, and as unstable as his own ego. Lunatic fringe at the helm....

Posted by: CS_GUY | December 10, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"This is the first speech I've seen in which he didn't trash the US and all prior US presidents!"

Even the Great Taft? What an insufferable cad this Obama person is!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

In no way does Obama sound like bush. Obama can actually pronounce multi-syllabic words.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 10, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"Listen to what he doesn't say." Ok, now I see how we get such imaginative reactions.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | December 10, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

etpietro, 'Get your nose out....' This is how you talk to people? And expect them to listen as if you've said something intelligent? Where'd ya get that personality...WalMart? When your charm doesn't convince others, do you resort to talking with your fists?

Act like an adult.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 10, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall Obama ever dissing W. H. Harrison. It'd be hard to trash a president who died after a month in office.

Posted by: MsJS | December 10, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"He has asked Americans to report on their fellow citizens to the government if they dare oppose his and Congress' complete fraud of a health care plan."

Huh? That is paranoid and delusional by wingnut standards. What completely out of context statement was the Big Lie seed for that bit of disinformation?

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad we finally have a 'good' war.

Posted by: toshiro1 | December 10, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

yello, it's the right-wing paranoid interpretation of the White House effort to push back on all the lies about health care reform. See the penultimate paragraph here:

Posted by: rashomon | December 10, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

LiT - well said. I saw that rash of nasty posts and figured that school must be out.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I for one listened very carefully to what Obama didn't say. I even had my hearing aid turned way up. Still didn't hear anything, I guess because he wasn't talking when he didn't say anything. But I bet if he'd said something, I'd have heard it. As for what he didn't say, I can only characterize it as "quiet." I mean, reeeellly quiet. Damn near soundless. In fact, when he wasn't talking he was perfectly not soundless. His lips didn't even move (I was looking carefully, since I thought maybe my hearing aid had crapped out.)

I'd tell you what he didn't say when he wasn't talking, but Obama asked me not to say anything. It could be widely misinterpreted.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

curmudgeon6 wrote, "I gotta tell ya, what he didn't say when he wasn't talking was almost as eloquent as what he did say when he was talking, only when he was talking, words and things came out."

Ahhhh, if there were a hall of fame for comment box humor, that quip would be a first ballot shoo-in.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | December 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

What Obama doesn't say is still far more coherent and intelligent than anything Dubya ever did say.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know which key manufacturing industry Obama has taken over? cause I missed the press release. God, I hope it wasn't the condom industry. Without a domestic condom industry all our young people would have to switch over to French ticklers, and you know hoe I feel about the French.

I'll tell you one thing: I know Obama and his filthy cronies want to take all our quark guns out of our hands. Well, he can just try to pry my quark cannon out of my cold dead fingers. When all our quark weapons are gone, only Swiss scientists will have them, and we'll be at their mercy. The Swiss already have taken over security at the Vatican, and I know we're next. Those yodeling b@st@rds.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Stalingrad.

Posted by: pressF1 | December 10, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I suppose that was the automotive industry, which the esteemed poster probably thinks should have been left to go bankrupt abruptly. That would have shown those union workers! (I guess they don't qualify as real Americans.)

Posted by: seasea1 | December 10, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Mudge: You are in fine form today.

Posted by: Manon1 | December 10, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Because the Soviet EPA ran Russia. That's how Eastern Europe became one giant toxic waste dump. Dang commie command economy.

I hate our free democratic system with federally regulated clean air and water. If only we were allowed to pollute more we could surpass the living standards of those godless Reds.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Considering that clean carbon technology can be exported aboard to countries who have signed the Kyoto protocol, I fail to see how investment in the same would crash our economy.

On the other hand, health care costs incurred by multiple causes, including pollution ARE already crashing our economy.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | December 10, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

etpietro is actually an instructive example of dishonest argument. He takes a single specific example and then asserts that it represents a general trend which, when expressed, sounds far, far more menacing.

This is dishonest because it asserts a generalized behavior but ignores all examples of contrary behavior except the one that fits the thesis.

It's like a little kid protesting that his parents never buy him *anything* because they refused to buy him one particular toy.

Which is why I viewed the whole post as childish.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

We still make cars? How darling. I thought we'd stopped doing that years ago. I never see any on my block.

Why, thank you, manon. (I hope you didn't take that French remark personally. "And God Created Woman" has always been one of my favorite foreign films, and that French girl, Rebecca de Mornay, was just so cute in it.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

yello, are you sure it was the Soviet EPA? I thought somebopdy once told me it was their Cagey Bee.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a heartbreaking story (DotC, you may need to sit down):
"A Keteleeria is something that even most arborists have never heard of," Hitchin said. "Or if they have, it's just a reference in a book. To have a specimen in the flesh is just a tremendous thing."

Posted by: seasea1 | December 10, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Dang, Mudge! You are certainly on your toes today! Wish you were going to be at the BPH on Monday.

I'm ignoring the "totality of trolls" (be they boodlers or not, btw). I stay healthier that way.

Posted by: -ftb- | December 10, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

RIP Gene Barry...

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 10, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, it wasn't just what he didn't say, but the way he didn't say it. I was particularly impressed with the panache he showed when he didn't blame anything on Grover Cleveland. Bush was never able to not blame things on Cleveland without smirking.

Posted by: rashomon | December 10, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

And yet, Snuke, I thought he was already . . . well, you know. Ninety years old -- good for him to have made it that long (or is it "far").

Posted by: -ftb- | December 10, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Gene Barry. Darn. RIP. Loved "The Name of the Game" and Bat Masterson.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: douglaslbarber | December 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

We need a Best of Mudge collection. A Mudgefest.

Posted by: joelache | December 10, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, ooh, Joel, may I start? I nominate the story behind the New Madrid earthquake! (What was the name of the device that had the big bladder and exploded? Darn, I can't remember ANYTHING these days! But it's a great story!)

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

After a long rainy period here, I jokingly asked Mudge or advice building an Arc, a great story ensued.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

I'm so sorry I missed the day, the GTP Cadet stories, etc. -- well, I *didn't* miss the remarkable openmindedness, charm and thoughtful critiques of President Obama and his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech (I think Cheney's jealous.).

I would point out to the TeaB-, er, *Partiers* that it probably says something about the Bush Administration that a: the subsequent administration feel like they need to go around the world apologizing for the past 8 years, and b: that the world is aparrently so relieved to have the Bush Admin and GOP gone that it gives the next President a Nobel Peace Prize.

And another thing - hey! There's Football on.

*Really* cold football in Cleveland, from the looks of it. If gents across the country are suffering contact shrinkage from watching the TV coverage of the game, please -- we don't want to hear about it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 10, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mudge, for the laughs, some of the funniest posts I have ever read.

Posted by: sailing_1953 | December 10, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is that the President seems to be bending in every way to please people like the buffoon who wrote this article. It's another lesson for him: don't alienate your support base; stop trying to please free-market purists, crazed war hawks (most of them chickenhawks), and religious fanatics. Clinton did all that and passed 'welfare reform' and they crucified him anyway. Mr. President: there are reasons why they, and their party, are losers.

Posted by: revbookburn | December 10, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

This story about the New Madrid earthquake?

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

revbookbyrn - you do understand that Joel is being ironic, right? He doesn't *really* think Obama is a radical.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Guy apologized for torturing again ~ yet, only three particularly nasty pukes were waterboarded.

I'm willing to waterboard the entire editorial board of the Washington Post if necessary to demonstrate that it's not torture.

Posted by: muawiyah | December 10, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, I am ashamed to admit I had no idea who Gene Barry was.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 10, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I would *love* to have a 'Mudge anthology. Several would be from today.

Posted by: Yoki | December 10, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

"I both disagree with most of the content of the speech and respect those who approve of it. I'm not going to get nasty about it, I'm just going to disagree."

This is why I'm so glad MsJS found us here... a perfect example of how grownups disagree.

Posted by: -TBG- | December 10, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to really miss his booger jokes. But he didn't look that old. Gene, not Dave?

Nevermind.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Brought the pelargoniums and scented geraniums in for the night; also, two tiny Jethro Tull coreopsis plants I neglected to heel in

Very cold and clear tonight; wind chills in teens in the am. Hey, Canoockies be kind to we south-rens, as we face our coldest night yet.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | December 10, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I figure there are only a few of us who remember watching Bat Masterson...

Posted by: seasea1 | December 10, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Our coldest day/night yet as well CP, really not that cold but the wind chill mad it nasty as well as not being used to the cold, think all my flowers have now been killed off.

Posted by: dmd3 | December 10, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I actually like this true life mudge tale better:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

And there is always the classic poetry:

Posted by: yellojkt | December 10, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the methane-powered sonic disruptor, I believe.

I think I may have inadvertently slipped something to the man to air out that particular bit o' Mudginess.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the sonic disruptor! How could I forget? It's as funny now as it was when I first read the story.

I loved Burke's Law when I was a kid, but my mother read somewhere that it wasn't appropriate for children my age and she wouldn't let me watch it after that. It was the only time I remember that she censored my TV watching.

Posted by: slyness | December 10, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Schrödinger's irony: It's impossible to know if irony is dead without opening the box.

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 10, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Poor little dogs --

Posted by: nellie4 | December 10, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, it's turned out that the strange light in the sky over Norway was a malfunctioning Russian missile. I was really hoping the Norwegians were testing a quark cannon.

Posted by: rashomon | December 10, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

On climate rage

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 10, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I heard about that strange light in the sky over there and was wondering if it had anything to do with President Obama's Nobel speech.

Or the Browns over the Steelers by 10 at the half.

In either case, should we start watching for 3 wise men from the east?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 10, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

If you switch men for person bc, badsneakers, boko and myself are from the east. But then there is the wise thing.
So that will be badsneakers, DNA girl and rainforest. Sorry boko, you do not strike me as a suitable Wise man. Wisecracking man, sure, but bringing myrrhe, flower for the hostess and whatever the scriptures says not so much. You'd be as lost I as would I'm afraid.

Darn it's cold. I just went out with the dogs and it's brutal. The VLP is on the mend. He just had half a portion of kibble. He was very extremely happy about that. Maybe he'll stop asking for the door every 5 minutes just to go outside for eating snow.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

What a bitter, sick old waste of humanity! He will get HIS in HELL for sure!! He needs to get out his shotgun and shoot a few more people in the face; those sour grapes would give him more satisfaction than his failed attempts to discredit a man with principles!!

He is obviously envious that Obama catches so many more flies with honey than Cheney ever did with his vinegar!! He is simply a very UGLY, ugly man from the inside out!!

Posted by: Maerzie | December 10, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh, man, I go out to pick up my son at his work and come back to find out you've been having a mudgeluvfest and I'm not even here to preen and bask. Feels like I'm attending my own funeral. Mudge, what a hilarious guy. We'll miss him.

Actually, you will miss me-- we're going down to Williamsburg tomorrow for a 3-day weekend, which will include our now-annual "Breakfast with the Chefs" event at W-Burg Lodge. Back some time Sunday afternoon or evening, I guess. So have at me for another hour or so, then it's sayonara for three days.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

So Maerzie, you're not old Dick's no. 1 fan?

To his defense he hasn't made a habit of shooting millionaire Texan Republican lawyers in the face. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not for your country but that is commendable.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me for my moment of deja view.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

An empty prize for an empty suit.

Posted by: mock1ngb1rd | December 10, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

That's fine Mudge. It's less repetitive than many single posts. See mockchicken's 11:07.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | December 10, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

this is a long version, particularly tight, IMO, suited to cold, rain and snow. not to be interpreted any other way, just good music.

Posted by: -jack- | December 10, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. Steelers fall to (gulp) Cleveland. The only good part of that is the tiara-pickers were unanimous (wrong).

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | December 10, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere around here I have a copy of my favorite Mudge story about the whale. And when I first started reading the Achenblog, I think Mudge was on a cruise and going on and on about his cummerbund.

What an interesting day here and what a diverse group of first time posters. I lurked but was busy baking Swedish bread. Also made my yearly liquor store visit - it's amazing to see all the different drinks they've come up with over the years.

Obama's speech was excellent, as most of them are. It's still a thrill to listen to someone who speaks coherently.

Posted by: badsneakers | December 10, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, you're not a preen-and-bask kinda guy - I think you're more of a hands-on-hips roosterseque strutter, a la Mick Jagger. Though I guess that is somewhat preenly...

The Browns seem to have soundly beaten the Steelers this evening (What, 8 sacks of Roethlesberger? Ouch. Plus, now I'm 0-1 on the week. Feh.)

s_d, since the Star is over Oslo -- what's east of Norway? Russia, I guess...? And no, I'm not going to do an Internet search for 3 of anything to come out of Russia; I see no good coming of *that.* Yello, I think that one's yours, buddy.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | December 10, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

The angst on the right about Obama's tendency to "apologize" to Europe about America's role really comes down to the President's acknowledgement that we have made mistakes these past eight years and that he's not George W. Bush.

It is this fact that allows President Obama the room to pivot and make the case for America in powerful and potent ways. Today's speech really marks the beginning of America's rebranding to our European allies. It was an assertive speech that emphasized America's important role in establishing and maintaining peace in the world, while subtly rebuking those Europeans who continue to disdain America and her influence in the world.

It was, in my view, the second best speech Obama has made (the first being the race speech), and marks the emergence of a strong, mature leader of the American empire.

Posted by: ChrisNBama | December 10, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I just searched the following words on this page, and was pleased to find none of them: apologist; wimp; communist; socialist; thug; warrior; empire; imperialist. Of course, maybe it's just that spit-flying angry people can't spell correctly. No time to backboodle: the sky awaits!

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 11, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Look to the sky for me, too, *Tim.

Posted by: Yoki | December 11, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

We have ground coriander, ground pepper, ground fennel seeds and ground a couple of other herbs but not ground cardamom. I’m going bake Swedish bread next week and substitute ground cardamom with ground coriander and see how it turns out.

I bought a jar of Marmite and I’m having a hard time trying to finish it before the expiration date. I didn’t like it in anything except porridge. I think I’ll get a jar of Bovril next time.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 11, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Schrödinger's songs have their moments, but the comments of intolerant jerks live forever.

(Unless those remarks are particularly colorful and/or clever. Spew away!!))

Posted by: bobsewell | December 11, 2009 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Scientists find gene that can change gender traits…….

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 11, 2009 3:27 AM | Report abuse

I think that cardamom and coriander are pretty significantly different. I would be disinclined to substitute one for the other.

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 11, 2009 3:41 AM | Report abuse

Vice or spice person, shriek, not wise.

Speaking of spice, let me second 'Tim's warning not to sub coriander for cardamom in Swedish bread. I'd just leave it out.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | December 11, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

okay then. I'll leave out the coriander. Lest I'll be forced to throw the whole loaf away. Thanks for the suggestion, Science Tim and DNA Girl.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 11, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

rainforest,

That is a very different way to replace mouse balls than the one I am familiar with.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all, happy Friday! Hey Cassandra! Mr. T is on vacation today and will be in my way all day. Fortunately, I have a luncheon engagement so I'll be out of the house for a while.

A cold 28 here this morning, and ten degrees in the high country. This means that winter has arrived.

I hope we get more suggestions for Mudgeluvfest, I'd like to have a good anthology.

Posted by: slyness | December 11, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Cold here too Slyness. Woke up way too early but have a busy day of cooking and baking ahead. And tonight we go out to dinner with friends who I love dearly but who are far to the right politically so have to keep the conversation on anything but that.

Rainforest, I'm not sure how well Swedish bread will work without the cardamom but maybe you could try cinnamon and nutmeg or something like that.

Our dancing teacher is moving back to New Jersey and I'm crushed. The move won't happen for a while as they have to sell their condo, but it's going to be hard to find another teacher we relate to as well as we do to him. Rats!

Posted by: badsneakers | December 11, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Suggestion to Washington Post: I know that there are some folks like Rainforest that may not be a bit concerned, but looking at a big bottle of Whiskey at about 7 in the morning isn't the best thing for the stomach.

Possibly you could put back up the ads for military aircraft that I enjoy in the morning?

Posted by: russianthistle | December 11, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

For some time, I have been mentally drafting an introduction to a collection of Curmudgeonly work, with a brief scholarly disquisition on the subject of whether he is, as he claims, a single ancient writer, or perhaps he is the "voice" of an ancient order of scribes and journalists -- viz. the way he seamlessly switches between the character of a thousand-year-old journalist, or a 60-some editor. For title, I suggest "A Millennium in Ink: 1000 years of an ink-stained wretch."

Posted by: ScienceTim | December 11, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. We're off. Everybody have a nice weekend. See yuns Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | December 11, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

In re:

Although the basic topic of the article is yet more political silliness, how great is it to read a quote such as --

“This is all one big overblown latke,” the rabbi said. “I feel that we need to save our communal kvetching in reserve for when it’s more called for and really matters.”

And for those who know southern N.H., where this travelogue is set, the writer's last name is particularly appropriate:

And yes, I visited that site as a youngster.

It's rather bothersome to have to deal with the first real windchill day around here while standing on a Metro platform with a disabled train sitting just outside the station. It's rather nice, however, to work in a place that has a satellite location at that Metro stop where I can catch a shuttle to my office.

And yes, I'm pretty sure we could come up with a publication-worthy 'Mudge-ology in no time flat.

*blowing-on-my-hands-to-warm-'em-up-'cuz-it's-that-kinda-TGIF-morning Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Snuke, thanks for reminding me of that site. I'll put it on our list of things to see next time we drive up that way. You know, if I could only remember half of the stuff I used to know and forgot, I'd be really smart ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | December 11, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

If there's going to be a Mudge anthology, I have two nominations:

--the call from his daughter asking him to pick up "supplies"
--his posts as Tyffani (that was him, wasn't it?)

Posted by: Raysmom | December 11, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning everyone. Yes, this morning is indeed chilly.

Here's a suggested holiday gift sure to warm the hearts of curmudgeonly English-speaker types everywhere:

The review by the irrepressible Carolyn See is screamingly funny. My favorite quote:

"Many of us are irritable most of the time (unless we're in love or just bought a motorcycle), and our language continually offers up imperfections and anomalies for us to be irritable about."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | December 11, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

bc is still without boodle access, and asked that I pass on his wishes for a Happy Channukah to all who celebrate it, and enjoy the lights and the love.

LiT again...ditto.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | December 11, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Raysmom,

Check my link at 9:36 PM last night. I'm just adding this to my umbrage file proving that I am universally ignored by other boodlers.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Hm? Did yello just say something?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BTW, congrats on the Orange Bowl berth, yello. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Yello, thanks for the joke link.

Badsneakers, I don’t have any nutmeg so I think I’ll try cinnamon and then throw in a bunch of raisins. It’ll be just raisin bread instead of Swedish bread.

Posted by: rainforest1 | December 11, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Here is where we first met Tyffani:

And this was one of her more recent updates:

I give and give and give...

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Scotty,
They were checking bags pretty carefully at the ACC championship game for potential projectiles. Nonetheless, when Clemson failed on their last fourth down attempt, there were plenty of oranges in the stands to throw on the field. I'd hate to know how those were smuggled in.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

To once again raise that old aphorism, with regard to the Steelers: Stick a fork in 'em; they're done. Can't believe they've lost to Oakland and Cincinnatti in consecutive weeks, not to mention the Bengals twice. Without Troy, their defense looks like the Redskins in the fourth quarter - wave at 'em as they fly on by.

Posted by: ebtnut | December 11, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Lost to Oakland and Cleveland...

Posted by: ebtnut | December 11, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

You still on for the BPH Monday, ebt?

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

And the Lions, ebtnut? What say you about the Lions?

Hey, yello (paying attention . . . . ). Will you be at the BPH on Monday?

Posted by: -ftb- | December 11, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Lions at the BPH? What??

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

No, sorry, won't be able to make it - have to take Wife of Nut to Dr. visit late Monday. I need to retire again so I can have some more time for these fun things.

Posted by: ebtnut | December 11, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

We'll raise a glass of wassail to ya, ebt...

Posted by: Scottynuke | December 11, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Wassail! Wassail! All over the town . . . ."

Posted by: -ftb- | December 11, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

ftb,
All depends on whether or not I have to go to a certain city in Texas on Monday night. I sure would like to be there, but I don't know when I will know.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, yello. When I'm backboodling I tend to skip the linky bits. Thanks for linking to two of my faves.

Posted by: Raysmom | December 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

More muppet music:

A Christmas carol this time.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Yay for Jenny Sanford!

She and the kids will be fine.

Posted by: slyness | December 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Happy Friday.

TBG, thank you for your 9:18pm post.

Haven't been on A-blog long enough to have a "fave Mudge" post, but clearly they have historic and educational value, in addition to being fun reading.

Slow day so far, just wanted to say hi.

Posted by: MsJS | December 11, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree Slyness and I hope women will take her actions as a good example of what to do in that situation (try to reconcile and, if it's not working, cut your losses).

Posted by: badsneakers | December 11, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Happy Friday.

TBG, thank you for your 9:18pm post.

Slow day so far, just wanted to say hi.

Posted by: MsJS | December 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

New kit alert!

Posted by: MsJS | December 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I find myself, quite unwillingly, in the middle of a consumer product "safety" (?) story involving a product from China. Both my husband and I find ourselves suffering from pine mouth.

OUr woes began earlier this week, after we both developed a bitter taste in our mouths. More puzzling still was the horible bitter taste was persisting for more than several days. For me, it's worse at the back of the tongue and the overriding bitterness affects everything I put into my mouth--both solids and liquids. Absolutely nothing tastes appealing or palatable.

I puzzled the situation mightily. Was it a problem with old dental work or a tooth now going bad? Since my husband was experiencing the same symptoms, it could hardly be a dental problem of mine. Was there suddenly some new element leaking or leaching into our local water supply? Was it something we ate, and if so, when and where? Why was this negative sense experience lasting so long?

Early last night I searched the web and found this story (above) from a British newspaper. Everything clicked. I had bought 1.5 pounds of pine nuts from Costco on Sept. 13, and had immediately put them in the freezer (to prevent rancidity) so that I could use them in December for snacking and cooking. I opened the bag on Sunday, just about when the bitter taste started. Once I found the article implicating these niuts from China, I ran to the freezer and checked the bag I'd brought home from Costco. Nuts expiration date--good until the middle of next year. Then, in small print, "Product of China. Packaged in the United States."

I took our receipt and returned the $19.99 bag of nuts to Costco last night. Further Internet searching revealed that other Costco customers had experienced the same problem with the pine nuts, although the situation seems to be more widely reported in Europe, particularly Britain.

Apparently, Britain has a means to report to the government the adverse taste experience. Haven't found any reporting mechanism for the U.S. yet. What I learned from the web is that virtually all shelled pine nuts come from China.

I hope to have a real good chat with the local Costco manager Dean Huish today about the situation once he arrives at work around 11:30 a.m. Why can't this major retailer make a list of all ingestible food products from China. I don't buy their dried edamame snack for just this reason.

If the bad taste allegedly lasts for a fortnight, I'm sincerely hoping that our normal taste function will resume around Dec. 24. In the interim, we're in misery.

Posted by: laloomis | December 11, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Rainforest, you are looser with ingedients than I am!

Posted by: Jumper1 | December 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Funny, witty comments. Americans (speaking as one) are masters of oratory and ripostes but know next to nothing about what is good for "Afghanistan".

Al Qaeda may be a lot of things, and can be defined in many ways -- including as "poverty" -- but I doubt it has "leaders" who can "lay down their arms", even in a very figurative sense. Still, good oratory. Maybe if he keeps talking, he'll convince me yet.

The problem with remarks for "domestic consumption" is that they inevitably leak out and make you look silly to the rest of the world. It used to be the case with Russia, especially under Yeltsin; it is increasingly true with the US.

Posted by: kristopher1 | December 15, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse