Five years of the Achenblog

I can't believe it's been five years, as of today, since the Achenblog made its debut. It feels more like 75 years, or perhaps a full century. People forget, but when this blog began we were producing it on a manual typewriter, with the key editing tool being a sharp-edged ruler and a pot of paste. Obviously, the big anniversary is not that of the Achenblog, but of the boodle [see bc's historical account]. It has long been established that the kit is the appendage of the kaboodle and not the other way around.

For those who think this blog has been flamboyantly pointless and an exercise in unfettered drivel, let me note that my best stuff, the really searing, trenchant, blindingly insightful material, has been reserved for my own private internal mental use, and is archived right here (points to head). That stuff you don't get for free, sorry.

Others can decide whether this blog has been a colossal waste of everyone's time or merely a large waste of everyone's time. I am proud to say that this blog has not been the most mediocre blog in the world. Neither is it, at the age of five, the most long-lasting blog. But I dare you to find a blog more mediocre that has lasted longer. We are venerable if not venerated.

In any case, I'm going to paste in a few links to some favorite blog items of the past, or at least some that give a taste of what we've done around here. Send suggestions for others if you wish. I don't know how much longer this blog will last, but it has had a good run and I appreciate the support over the years from my editors, and particularly from Hal Straus, Jim Brady, Michael Newman, Marisa Katz and Stephen Stromberg. And of course, the boodle, without which there's not a chance this blog would have survived.

From the archives (I'll add to this later but have to run out and do some reporting on a rainy Sunday morning):

The first kit (though there may have been earlier ones deleted).

On Hunter S. Thompson.

"Drop the leaf."

The Shrunken Planet.

Village Living in Mexico City.

The Rovestorm!

Katrina, From Kobe.

Dry Rain Again

Maureen Dowd samizdat.

Mainstream media not dead yet.

Carbucks!

The cattle buyer jokes!

Appreciating John Updike.

Darwin's big idea.

Information wants to be stolen.

Freeman Dyson and global warming.

(More to come...)

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 17, 2010; 9:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haiti: The bodies
Next: Helping Haiti

Comments

Kit! With a light theme for this rainy and sad day. Thank you, JA, for keeping the porch light on.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Not a mediocre blog at all, and I hope it continues for as long as you wish.

Happy Anniversary.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Five years. That's, like, 35 for a dog.

Joel, I know that you don't want this to turn into a gushy "thanks Joel" sort of boodle. But thanks Joel. Thanks for providing this little island of sanity. It has been a tremendously important outlet for me who, by circumstance and temperament, would have otherwise lived a much more isolated life.

And I know you claim that you don't do anything to make the boodle a (usually) pleasant place, but I'm not buying it. You set the tone and the expectations.

My regret is that sometimes I fail to fulfill those expectations.

So happy birthday Achenblog. I think I will browse through some of those old kits and boodles.

Oh my. Don't we all look so young.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 17, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Can it really be 5 years? Happy anniversary boss and boodle.

Mr. F returned from Germany late last night and is at work today-24hr opns at his shop at MacDill AFB in support of Haiti relief.

Time to get moving with the usual Sunday chores. I want to be able to watch the Vikings win without clouds of cat hair drifting in the afternoon sun. I also want there to be afternoon sun, but that might be asking too much on top of the unseasonable warmth.

Toodles boodle! Feel free to join me in some Cowboys loathing. It couldn't hurt.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

** breaking out New Year's noise makers (again) **

Toot Toot! Rattlerattlerattlerattle! Beeboopbeeboopbeeboop!

Happy Anniversary, A-blog! As a relative newbie, I look forward to reading the "Best of The A-blog" kits.

Thank you, Mr. A, for your perseverance. It takes a lot of stamina to blog for five years.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Achenblog!

First order of business... kb! congrats on the job! Sounds wonderful... I'm sure they'll quickly realize how lucky they are to have you. Sounds right up your alley, too.

While the rest of you were having a virtual dinner with each other, Dr G and I were hosting an impromptu real-life dinner with the boodle's very own Byoolin and Mrs Byoolin here at the G house. A lovely time was had by all... lots of laughing and lively conversation and, if I may say so myself, a decent pot of spaghetti (even without cheese).

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Five years! Good grief, how did that happen.

Time on this site is well spent, for the most part, I believe. Achenblog is a place to encounter intelligent, good-humored discourse, which is rare, and even more rare, a place to express views and have them seriously considered by a community of thoughtful, smart people.

Joel, it all starts and ends with you, and so I am bound to send a couple of words of gratitude your way: thank you!

And cheers (that means "Thanks" in British English) to my boodlemates as well. Good company, all.

Posted by: kbertocci | January 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Well now. How lovely to note our anniversary. And we don't look a day over 4, I must say. I dare not pat myself on the back, as the shoulder just might dislocate, but the Boodle knows what I mean. Besides, we ought to remember these fine lyrics:

"We are family!
"I got all my fellow Boodlers and me!"

*rinse* *repeat*

KB -- WOO-HOO to YOU!!! I join the others in throwing beaucoup huzzahs your way.

A gloomy rainy day outside, which means (one would think) an active get-things-in-order inside. We'll see.

Frosti -- I'm with ya! Go Vikings!

Cy'all later thee fine fellow Boodlers.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Must run, but first a hearty huzzah for the Achenblog and attendant Boodle. Long may it wave! Seriously. I second RD's sentiments about the personal value of this imaginary watering hole.

Definitely this blog would be a colossal waste of time, Joel. Colossal. Flamboyant. Unfettered. Always go for the big modifier! Would "most mediocre" be "mediocrefullest"?

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 17, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Muchos Danke, JA.

Merci very much?

Good on ya, mate!

And so on.

Boodle, you mean almost the world to me, and you know that. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Happy anniversary Joel.

Congratulations with deep, heartfelt, and profound thanks.

I don't know what I'd do without the Achenblog. Really.

The next Anniversary as I see it would be marking the 5th year of the Boodle in April, when the the Porch Light for Comments flickered on. [AKA, "Gadzooks, so *that's* where my life went."]

Good day, all and Dreamer/Tomfan/Achenfan, if you're out there, have a good day.

Error, my man, I'm toasting you this morning.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Joel's been writing new kits all these years?

*memo to self: start reading top of page more often*

I wonder if we were, ya know, expected to comment on his stuff or something. *feeling chagrined and vaguely guilty*

Methinks we need to break out a couple of bottles of virtual Dom Perignon. slyness, have we got enough champagne glasses in the bunker? I have squirreled away in the back of the refrigerator a couple of tins of absolutely top-grade caviar.

*sound of numerous corks popping*

Okay, everyone's glass full? (White grape juice or bubbly cider for them as what can't drink bubbly.)

Three cheers:

Hip hip!

Hip hip!

Hiphip!

*chugs champagne indecorously*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

*memo to self: Monday's a fed holiday. On tuesday, get with slyness, sign new requisition form to replenish bunker's super secret Dom P. wine cellar located behind concealed panel in regular wine cellar. Ditto the caviar supply. Conceal expenditures in Shop Steward slush fund as "Unanticipated repairs to rain gutters and sofits"*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge, there's always the "miscellaneous charges" line item too, yanno.

Or "rain gear," entirely appropriate today 'round these parts. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

An Achenblog age
I have lived, and one year more
Almost--I'm old.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Rain gutters and soffits..... Gosh, the house needs the soffits painted, some gutters, etc. Maintenance never ends.

My yard seems to have gotten some breaks. Little significant damage despite many hours of freezing temperatures during the Great Cold Spell.

Congratulations to Joel for keeping up the Blog in addition to a full time job, and further congratulations on still having that full time job. To alter the title of a Calvin and Hobbes book, "There's Planets Everywhere!"

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Joel, this kit needs a front page link.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Psst...
Ix-nay on the og-day ears-yay around 'ilbrodog-way. His idlife-may isis-cray is coming.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

In some sort of synchronistic nostalgia I have also been reading old kits and boodles recently. My first comment was August 23, 2005 at 4:07 p.m. I had come to blatantly blogwh0re and never left. Even then, the boodle was in full force with so many of our current fixtures already firmly ensconced.

It's funny and bittersweet to go back and read old feuds and lost friends. Some like Sara just move on and others like Dreamer/AchenFan/TomFan just seem to fade away.

The saddest loss was Error Flynn. I never knew him in person but I know many did. This guest kit from him has brought a tear (well, more than one) to my eye this morning:

Perhaps more than any other boodler, he captured that perfect mixture of whimsy and wisdom that makes this community so unique.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Joel! It was fun to read those old Kits, especially the ones 'before my time' here. This place certainly is an oasis in a desert of squabbling and mean spirited screeds. Be modest if you must, but it's your writing and the personality that comes through it that attracts such nice Boodlers!

Posted by: badsneakers | January 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Frost creeps on my jowls
Gay gallops, now aching sprints
I seek beds, not balls.

-Wilbr-old-og-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me while I go console Wilbrodog.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

OOh. Sorry Wilbrod. That "dog year" bit was insensive of me.

Not only is this an excellent selection of kits, it is also an interesting selection of boodles. You see the good, the bad, and the ugly.

By which I mean all my typos.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Powerless at home. Plugged laptop into last remaining UPS with juice.

Something at PEPCO go BOOOOM.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

'sokay, RD.

I'm having him fetch balls for every one of his human years. He's remembered there's life in him yet.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

bc,

I had not read your 11:09 when I posted my 11:50. You were truly a good friend of Error. I also pour a 40 in his memory.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

RT... our power was out, too. It came back on a little while ago. The automated system at Dominion said something about a circuit breaker at a substation. I wonder if it's connected to your outage.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

TBG... I am 5 blocks from substation. Something there or in between blew up. KaBlammo. We are used to it. I think the exploding transformer is the state bird of Bethesda.

Since it has been about 3 hours, I am amazed that we are still without power.

Had to use the BIC firestick to light burner to make lunch. I am a bit afraid to discuss meal in light of bru ha ha of yesterday (or was it a day before... was backboodling).

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Weed, you can go ahead and make real food. It is fantasy food that is bitterly scorned.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Chicago Bears defensive end Blaine Adams as died, age 26, of "health issues." No further details. RIP.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

five years. thanks, Joel. I remember the warm welcome I received when I first started to post comments. kb said that this was a big tent. still true.

Posted by: -jack- | January 17, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When I was still working, there was an explosion in some part of the electrical grid under the sidewalk next to our building in downtown TWC.

It was surreal hearing the BOOM POP BOOM and watching the lights flicker as the smoke rose up past our 12th floor windows.

The evacuation was very calm and orderly. I treated everyone to a mid-afternoon nosh as we triaged the logistics of contacting clients, significant others, Home Office, etc. I was grateful that no one was injured or even upset. Everyone really took it in stride.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Achenblog!

I don't think I had ever read the very first Achenblog. Wall garden? Did he mean firewall? (realizing Joel may have been being funny, but still...)

Posted by: seasea1 | January 17, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Early, unconfirmed word on Gaines Adams is heart attack. Autopsy later today.

Adams came to da Bears in mid-season from Tampa Bay. He was a first-round pick in the 2007 draft out of Clemson.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

yello, thanks for the ack on Error. I'm sure he's having a good laugh, wherever he is.

Sad and strange news of Gaines Adams.

Right before the kickoff of the Cowboys/Vikings contest, I would say that things are looking good for Minnesota, simply because I picked the Cowboys to win, and I am a *stellar* ohfer so far this weekend.

[Apparently that star is a black hole.]

[[For you non-sports types, 'ohfer' refers is a short hand for number of successes for x number of attempts; 0 for 2, in this case. I hope I don't go ohfer 4...]]

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I think I read them all. Congratulations Joel. This is still the nicest of all the porches I know to hang out on.

The list of best kits really ought to include the Cow Jokes kit. One of my all time favourites.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 17, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Now, estimated time of power is 6 or 7 depending on which page of the PEPCO site you may choose to believe.

On my dwindling power supply, I say thanks to Joel for all the friendships that have been forged.

I also want to point out that, if you Google "legume humor," you get Achenblog in positions 3 and 4.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

DR, while you are waiting on the cowjokekit, try this place by HighWideandHandsome:

HighWideandHandsome means Montana, the state, for those not in the know. However, a tall and portly and nice-on-the-eyes lurker could take this as boodle handle.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 17, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Stay warm, RT, if it gets really bad in your neck of the woods, yelp.

So far, power in PG. Thank goodness.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 17, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Touchdown, Vikes. (Yesssssssssss!)

*sorry, non-football-oriented boodlers. I fear there shall be some live football boodling today. Those with certain sensibilities may have to avert their eyes from time to time, however. You know who you are*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

BC -- sorry about the ohfer. I was pulling for you to wear that Tiarra atop your classical Eye-tallion curls.

But, consider this: in your other ventures, particularly freinds and family, well the limit approaches...infinity. Making you a BuzzLightYear for the day.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I see my many spellings problems. Mea culpa and a cuppa Joe/Jo for each.
But, this misspelling is the worsests:

EYE-STALLION. Boodlehandle-worthy.

Mashing up our Yoki, all things Italian, and horseyness. Paging seasea....

Mudge -- live boodle all you want. I still see them as men in lycra, with turtle-like under garments; bold color combos, etc.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

cQp, it just wouldn't be true football without your eye for costumery and fashion. I have come to depend upon it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

playing any professional sport is tough. BITD when outdoor stadiums were the norm, football in GB, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland and Pittsburgh was especially tough at this time of year. I brought up a history of the Vikings franchise just a bit ago. I do hope that the Vikings are the victors this afternoon.

Posted by: -jack- | January 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

See you guys later. Have to go to work. At least they have power.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This drive better end in a TD.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It did. *happy snoopy dance borrowed from Scotty*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

and it did. I can breathe now.

I'm glad the Vikes never threw off the purple and gold for a more marketable color combo.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

*doing a Snoopy high-kick line with frosti and 'Mudge (but not I-dad I think)* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Reading the Thompson story again I wondered if Achenbro got to meet The Man. And if not, how did you stop him from forcibly occupying your car until you agreed?

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Coroner states Gaines Adams died of cardiac arrest as a result of an enlarged heart. No indication that anyone knew about it.

I join da Bears franchise in extending my condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Eye-stallion?
Good heavens, I'm blushing over here.

And it appears that I'm well on my way to ohfer 3. Oy.

Frosti, I've always liked the purple and yellow/gold (and not just for formal robes). Always wanted to paint a race car in that color combo (yes, I had a purple car with white accents and interior many years ago)

Marketing-wise, that combo has seemed to work well for the LA Lakers.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Most certainly, condolences to the Adams family (no, not gonna make the obvious joke) and da Bears.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

bc: What's your pick in the Jets-Chargers game?

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait, some guys named Stallone and Balboa seem to have a stake in the use of the term 'Eye-stallion.'

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Five years, that's just amazing.

I am grateful for the wonderful friendships and enlightening conversations that go on here. When I count my blessings, Joel's writing and the friends I have made here are at the top of the list.

Mary Beard blogs in The Times of London under the title A Don's Life. She recently published a book of her kits and comments to them. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Joel did the same? I think we should vote on the ones to include.

Posted by: slyness | January 17, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ivansdad has been sick for days. I just gave him some food while he watches the game. From the Boodle live-blogging, I probably don't even want to go in there for some time. Hours, maybe.

Thanks, yellojkt, for posting Error's column. Back on my late lamented laptop I had a special "Error" file.

I look forward to reading through the old Kits etc during the course of the day.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Why does Subway show Michael Phelps heading to the Vancouver Olympics? Do they not understand the difference between the Summer and Winter games?

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

They've added a special "Polar Bear 50 meter freestyle" in Vancouver, TBG...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Ha! from Twitter...

BorowitzReport: Kim Jong-Il Bans Farmville; Forbids North Koreans From Growing Imaginary Food

Think he's lurking the boodle?

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

MsJS, Lit and omni picked the Jets. The other four of us picked the Chargers.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

MsJs, wanted to mention that I follow Grand Slam tennis too. I heart Roger Federer. So if you feel compelled to post about tennis, please do. I suppose I need to figure out what the TV schedule is for the Australian Open. Have you read Andre Agassi's book? It's very good. And I hope MrJs is doing well.

Posted by: seasea1 | January 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

CpQ, Buzz Lightyear for the day... Infinity and beyond, indeed.

I suppose I am inifinite in the ways you mention. So, why am I thinking of that wonderful closing soliloquy Matheson wrote for the end of "The Incredible Shrinking Man?"

MsJS, I picked the Chargers.
Bet the house on the Jets Jets Jets.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Methinks Ray Edwards could vie with Favre for MVP for this thing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Suisham misses!!!! Yummy, yummy, yummy.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Rereading old kits and boodles. I miss Nani and Eurotrash and american in siam.

Joel, I'm glad you included Katrina, from Kobe. Interesting reading, with the catastrophe in Haiti in mind.

Posted by: slyness | January 17, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Live blogging football is fine. Just wait until the Golden Globes start. Do we have CqP signed up for fashion commentary?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Are the GG's tonight? Kewl.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Ricky Gervais hosting the GG's.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

afternoon everyone and happy anniversary,of course i like the 88 fingers louie version from the Flintstones.

I see the former Redskins kicker is being a pain in the cowboys side,nice to see ,very nice although i liked him when he kicked for the skins.

still sad my boys laid an egg in indy last night,but i did enjoy the season,now onto the next season Terp's B-ball.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 17, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Kber, congratulations.

Just doing some backboodling and getting caught up. I didn't see this earlier but oh so good to hear.

Seasea, may you be next.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 17, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

cQp, you'll have to eat dinner early and get the dishes done by 7, which is when the GG red-carpet arrivals start -- your specialty. The actual awards come on at 8.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be a lot of ticky-tacky penalties this weekend... *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

seasea: Thank you for thinking of MrJS. Long recoveries can try anyone's patience, but he's doing remarkably well and keeps his humor more often than I probably would.

Aussie Open tennis on ESPN2 starts Sunday evening, 7pm-2am Eastern, then 3am-8am Monday morning.

Haven't read Agassi's book. Due to certain physical constraints, book-reading is a challenge. Ability to boodle is still strong. * clap clap clap cheer cheer *

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

*faxing some chicken soup to Ivansdad via Ivansmom*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hope MrJS is a Vikes fan today, MsJS... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Like many Greek-Americans of their generation, my aunt and uncle owned and ran a deli in an office building downtown for many years. Every night, my aunt would make rice pudding to sell the next day in the restaurant.

My sister talked with my aunt the other day and got her recipe. Of course, she cut it in half for us, since we're not feeding a lunch crowd, but I made it earlier today and am now enjoying it warm, with fresh-ground cinnamon on top.

Oh. My. God.

Thea Ruby’s Rice Pudding

1. Stir ½ cup rice, about an inch of water, and a little salt in a pan over high heat, until it thickens.

2. Add 1 quart (4 cups) of whole milk and bring to a boil.

3. Add ½ cup sugar and stir.

4. Simmer on low (mostly covered) for about 1 hour.

5. Add ½ tsp. vanilla and ¼ cup raisins (no raisins for me, thank you very much).

6. Beat 2 eggs (whites and yolks separately), fold them into the mixture, and set aside to thicken.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Achenblog! As it happens, today also is the birthday of ScienceKid#2. Birthdays for everyone! On the house!

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sounds awesome, TBG. Thanks for sharing!

Is it my imagination, or have there been lots of sacks in this game? Ouch!

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

G'night, 'Boys...

(sorta sorry, I-Dad)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yowwwwzaahhhhhhhh!

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday to ScienceKid #2 and Badsneaks.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Even the Cowboy defender was celebrating that touchdown.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Favre's pass rating for the game is currently about 133 with that touchdown.

** note to non-football crowd--the max pass rating is about 158 and anything over 115 is very very good **

Yowwwzaahhhhhhh is right.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Now you will never forget the birthday of SciKid2. It's the same day as the Achenblog. I got my Lazy Sunday curry going.

3/4 pound chicken
1 pound baby carrots
1 onion thinly sliced
1/3 bag frozen peas
1 bottle Trader Joe yellow curry

Start 2 cups (dry) rice in rice cooker. Put carrots into vegetable steamer.

Slice chicken paper thin. Turn burner to high. Oil pan and stir fry chicken until mostly cooked. Add onions. Stir fry more until onions just begin to brown. Reduce heat to low. Add curry sauce. Add peas. Whack giant slabs of frozen peas with side of spatula until peas break apart. Add carrots. Cover and simmer until smell drives you crazy and you have to eat it.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I'll send J over to commiserate with Ivansdad, and they can stand together against the cheers of the rest of the boodle. It seems like he takes it better when it's not close; I'm only hearing the occasional moan and groan.

Posted by: -bia- | January 17, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, didja just see that movie promo? Benicio del Toro in "The Wolfman." Looked good! bc, prepare to take copious notes.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I have been aware of the impending release of delToro/Hopkins in "The Wolfman" for some time now, thanks.

Of course, I will review for the Boodle, just as I will the sequel to "Gladiator."

On another note, I see that Joel has added some Boodle-related items to the Kit above... (ahem)

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

We are avenged! (it only took 35 years)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was just mean... Sorta.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I will hurry up the tasks and plan to live blog the runway and show. Fabric, plether infrastructure, shoes, glitter, etc.

Go team; may everybody win; may everybody come in even. TBG -- the Michael Phelps to Vancouver moment is high-larry-us.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, ScienceKid #2!

A great day all the way around, with the exception of my football prognistications.

A minor detail.

Mudge, I would add that 40-year old Farve had a regular season passer rating of over 107 and a completion percentage of more than 68% (and that wasn't to the other team, which has been a problem for the guy over the past few seasons).

He might be a PITA and a total NFL Diva, but darn if he isn't having a great season... (aside from this 4-TD game I'm watching).

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Favre's QB rating just bumped up a bit. Not that they're rubbing the Cowboys' nose in it or anything.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Five great years. Thank you, Joel.

I think we have a Boodler birthday today as well.

Posted by: Yoki | January 17, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

A very stealthy one, Yoki...

Some might even say sneaky. *hehehehehe*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

There is an episode of Seinfeld that is the 'origin story' of how the four characters came to meet. In it Jerry has met Kramer for the first time. He casually says "Just drop in anytime" and Kramer's eyes start to glow. Hilarity ensues.

I have found the boodle smoking gun equivalent to that scene:

===========================================

Talk about whatever you want. Go crazy. Heck, just take over the blog. I'm out of town and kind of busy with other stuff, so you can just start picking random, speculative topics and go hog wild.

Posted by: Achenbach | May 27, 2005 9:59 AM |

=========================================

Don't say things even sarcastically that you will regret.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

TBg, you beat the egg yolks separately from the whites and then add both in the rice pudding? Could you explain this step a bit more?

I've made rice pudding without eggs (Indian recipe called kheer), which also is pretty good, if less custardy, with vermicelli instead of rice.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Sneaks! A rousing HBTY, along with SciKid #2 and, of course, the Achenblog!!!!!

Pass the cake and hope it's chocolate!

YAY, Frosti!!!!!!!! Goody for you (and we don't like Dallas, but that wouldn't have changed the recipe for chicken soup for Ivansdad, although perhaps I laced it with a tad more Tabasco than I'd ordinarily use (Waitaminit! I'm known to drink it outta the bottle -- nuthin's too hot fer me!)).

I've been listening all afternoon to a relatively "new" Eva Cassidy CD (called "Somewhere"). It is simply a delicious array of terrific songs with her own special "sauce". You've gotta listen to her sing "Summertime" -- you will never want it any other way.

And, finally, the Red Wings get a chance to show off on national television and they lose to MsJS' team, 4-3. *sigh* Just ain't our year.

Man, I do love this Boodle thing.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Today is sneaks' birthday? Happy happy, bad.

Wilbrod, I also wondered if adding the eggs should be done when the mix is cool; otherwise wouldn't the egg yolks and egg whites cook?

I also wondered about step when, how to tell when the rice "thickens." It sounded like only a very few minutes, but I was thinking rice doesn't swell until 15 or 20 minutes. So i found that confusing.

Meanwhile, there have been seven playoff games so far, and six of the seven have been blowouts. Only the Packers-Cards game was close (and both have been eliminated). Perhaps there is a reason for this, but I can't think of one. Perhaps it is merely a statstical anemone.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

To only be played underwater, Mudgekins?

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, sneaks! Hope you've had a pleasant one.

Say hi to S for me.

Posted by: slyness | January 17, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it time to let go of my Fran Tarkenton era grudge against the Cowboys? NOOOOOOO!

Will be interesting to see if the Vikings can ride this all the way to a new stadium. The Twins have theirs, and the Gophers are back outside...

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Sneaks!

(gloating makes me lose my manners)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

5 years is 111 in binary and a very respectable age for a hobbit.

Congratulations Mr Achenbach.

Posted by: qgaliana | January 17, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

LOL - that should of course read 101

Posted by: qgaliana | January 17, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

There's just something about the CBS HD that's crisper than Fox...

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Happy B-day, B-sneaks.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Scottynuke.

I would consider CBS far sharper than Fox.

CBS didn't hire Sarah Palin, did they?

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Took the words right outta my mouth, bc!

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Um, you can have them back if you want, ftb.

I'm kinda sorry that the Chargers are not wearing their powder blue throwback unis rather than the dark blue. An interesting game -- the San Diego offense and NY Jets defense are both top-notch units, fun to see them going head-to-head.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I dunno if Fox hiring Palin was such a bad move economically. There sure seems to be a market for her.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 17, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

bc -- I just read the post you wrote on the history of the Boodle, and I must say that it was "dang good" -- really, I mean it!

I got enough done today to make my smug-o-meter inch up a notch. We'll see what the morrow brings. Hope it doesn't rain all day.

Congratulations to those whose teams won. Chicken soup to those whose teams lost. Or, well, several belts of single malt scotch. Straight up.

Time to go read the paper -- old news from an old rag. Whaddya gonna do?

Posted by: -ftb- | January 17, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

A friend just sent me this great Olbermann link:

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Is this the cattle buyer joke post?

Classic

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ftb.

I was happy enough that Joel felt it was worth revising the Kit to add the link.

A fair enough statement from an economic perspective, RD. I am simply not convinced she can contribute anything useful to news reporting or national discourse on any topic whatsoever.

Oops, perhaps I jumped the gun there.
CBS play-by-play guy Jim Nantz just did a promo for tonight's "60 Minutes" descibing the US miltatry's humanitarian efforts in "Haitia."

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Just got back from a late lunch - early dinner at an upscale fish place a few towns away. Had some yummy oysters, two from around here, two from PEI. Then we shared fried clams and an amazing lobster dish called pan lobster. They cut the lobster into 6 pieces, saute it in butter, bourbon and wine then they broil it. It was so darn good and so darn messy. I think I still have some under my fingernails. Now I can sit back and watch the game and then the GGs.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 17, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I followed the recipe and beat the eggs separately and folded them all in, whites first (arbitrary decision on my part). Not sure what difference it makes, but I'm not going to second guess Thea Ruby who made this every night for nearly 20 years. I'm sure she figured out what worked best.

I beat the eggs by hand, with a small wisk.

And yes... you put the eggs in while hot so that they WILL set. Mix them in well. When they've done their job, the pudding is rich, creamy and custardy.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Joel! ! !

And SKOL VIKES! ! !

Posted by: KBoom | January 17, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at a friend's house for the GG's, but look forward to the Boodle commentary.

Happy Birthday, Sneaks!

Posted by: seasea1 | January 17, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What's the channel for the GG Awards?

Posted by: Manon1 | January 17, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks, happy birthday! That meal sounds dee-light-full.

Yello, I *heart* TJ's yellow curry. I use it on just about everything but ice cream.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

nbc, i think.

many happy returns on your birthday, sneaks.

the hawks won. i thought something was wrong with the telly.

good wishes to mrjs and ivansdad.

Posted by: -jack- | January 17, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

bc - you are correct about that. Palin is a queen of political regurgitation.

I'm just feeling a little shell-shocked by what is going on in Massachusetts. Yes, the Democrats put up a weak candidate, but, clearly, Republican sympathy is extending beyond the stereotypical white male resident of Appalachia.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 17, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks,jack.

Posted by: Manon1 | January 17, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

just hope i'm correct, manon. btw, good to see you 'round these parts.

Posted by: -jack- | January 17, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's NBC.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

RD, we in MA are feeling a bit sick over this election too. I've spoken with two friends today who share my feeling that while Coakley is a very disappointing candidate, we don't understand what people see in Brown (empty suit). But I think MA has been taken for granted as a Democratic stronghold and now the Dems are (maybe) going to pay a price for that.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 17, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

One other Birthday we may have not acknowledged today...

First Lady Michelle Obama, I think.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys see Doonesbury today? (If you don't follow the strip, Toggle has been recording celebrity voices to use in a GPS system.)

Posted by: nellie4 | January 17, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I give up, which politican or celebrity is it supposed to be, nellie?

Oh hi, Nellie, long time no see :).

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I shall start the blogging with Colin Firth, SIGH. Love the studs in the tux shirt.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, today is Michelle Obama's 46th, so HB2 her as well.

Oh my *yawn* is the *yawn* Jets-Chargers game *yawn* over yet?

**wheeling off to find fude **

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Acoustic Gypsy jazz guitar duo
I could rearrange those adjectives...

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 17, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Chiming in with all the rest, Joel. Congratulations and thanks for five years of unique fun & follies. There's definitely been nothing quite like it in my time kicking around.

Achenblog... You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll become a part of you.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 17, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

MsJS, I wouldn't call the Jets/Chargers game a yawner. The Jets just went ahead in the 4th quarter, 10-7. Just over 8 minutes left, it's still anyone's game.

Besides, my perfect weekend's on the line (versus Scottynuke's).

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Wilbrod, I guess I should have said that I believe it is Sarah Palin.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 17, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary, Achenblog and JA.

I can't believe it's been five years! I'm so glad I stopped in here. I can't think of a nicer place to be, and the best friends in the world!

Ivansmom, hope Ivansdad feels better soon.

Congrats, bad sneakers.

It has been a long day. Just getting in from church, and so ready to hug the bed.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 17, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Jets just scored again (somebody tell Samuel L. Jackson), it's 17-7 Jets. Whoda thunk.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I see everyone is still busy with football, just wanted to note that Mariah Carey's dress - on the edge of wardrobe malfunction.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I think our knitters might like this cute little item...

Posted by: -TBG- | January 17, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Where's cQp? I'm so confused by all this fashion stuff, with no one to interpret for me!

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Many happy returns, A'blog and sneaks!

Congratulations, Kbert!

Posted by: -dbG- | January 17, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

TBG can you find a link for a cover up for Mariah.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Quentin Tarantino looks like a Jedi ninja.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey: "No, it's not raining. That's God crying for NBC."

She thinks Glee's gonna win, not 30 Rock. I do, too.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Was wondering where everyone is - what is with all the commercials?

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Celebritology is also live-tweeting the GGs

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Celebritology link:

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I am also following the live blogging on the Globe and Mail site.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Golden Globes or 60 Minutes on Haiti? Haiti or Golden Globes? What should I do?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I have to get as liquored up as the nominees.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, my first perfect week of the season!

ohfer 4.

Ricky Gervais' opening monologue is reasonably snortworthy. Curious tux, though.

Posted by: -bc- | January 17, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Any team stupid enough to be head-butting and flag-kicking in such critical late-in-the-game situations gets entirely what it deserves. *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Two awards for Showtime already. Just not shows I watch.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

What the heck has Sir Paul got all over the right side of his tux?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What's up with those buttons(?) on Paul McCarthy's jacket?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer are at the GGs for Coraline (which just lost). AFP is tweeting pics of herself from the ladies room.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

That's the one, yellojkt. Funny stuff in there. I'm still giggling all these years later.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 17, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Lots of pastels, pinks, and peaches.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Another Showtime winner. Why is Michael C Hall wearing a watch cap?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Dexter wins. Boy, that was a tough category.

Uh, what's with the...um...hat...

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you YELLOJKT, channeling the Lovely CqP!!

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes...but where IS the lovely cQp??

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

My paparazzi shot of Julianna Margulies.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I just read that Michael C. Hall is having treatment for Lymphoma. I guess that accounts for the cap.

As for CP, maybe she's at a knitting meet.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Hall just underwent chemo for Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I can SEE!!! I can SEEEEEE!

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Or waiting to make a fashionably late entrance.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 17, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, better a cap than a bad rug.

Posted by: slyness | January 17, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Cher and Christina as Vampirella and Barbie.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

AFP agrees with me.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

What's with Mar-Shar's dress? A sort of teal/blue/green watered silk thingy over a more standard teal dress and visor cap. Don't know about the thin bright yellow stripes around her midsection, either.

I hope it's at least comfortable.

Posted by: MsJS | January 17, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Yello, I just read your link. So it IS true. Clooney has a beard...

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

In the I watch so you don't have to category, Human Target on Fox has all the potential to become one of those shows that in 2015 we'll be saying "is that still on." Like the Walker Texas Ranger of graphic novels brought to TV.

Will switch to the GGs as soon as it's over. Invested 52 minutes thus far, another 8 won't kill.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

That cow joke Boodle was great...

Right up until I saw the phrase I had 'Toon put on Error's fairy door.

*wiping eyes vigorously*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

**snort** But she is gorgeous.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations weed, on having LIGHT!

Posted by: nellie4 | January 17, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Ricky hit it on the head with the Irish.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

And please, which is the cow joke boodle?

Posted by: nellie4 | January 17, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the network commercial conspiracy, I was toggling between the Jets win and E' runway and always commercials at the same time!

Posted by: bh72 | January 17, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

check yello's 5:52, nellie... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Streep just gave a shout out to PiH! Glad I didn't miss it. Love how she plays up her natural pale self.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nellie! Very frustrating. Luckily all the servers came up clean. No router issues, either.

Now, to make a pizza for dinner. Sausage, pepperoni and onion. maybe some red peppers.

Just about to pimp up my sauce that I made for lunch. Off to work on DAT pizza.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Much better dress on Drew than the one she had four years ago.

Yes, I have bee blogging that long. Sigh.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Heavens yes yj. Her chignon was lovely and she finally seemed like a beautiful grown up.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Cameron Diaz has Joker lips.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

OMG. Sophia Loren. Best dress of the night. Best...OK, uh, best..best, best...

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Hottest senior citizen: Helen Mirren of Sophia Loren?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Helen OR Sophia?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Helen, I am female never really got the big deal about Sophia.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Helen, hands down. Sophia is just one step shy of the "plastic surgery gone wrong" blogs.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Jane Lynch just got robbed.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Robbed indeed Mudge.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Is Tarantino wearing a kimono?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

My husband noticed that Sophia's face lift seemed to have pinned her arms to her sides. One of those pact with the devil things -- good face, arms don't move.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 17, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Yesss Glee baby!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Glee.

As it should be.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Only James Cameron would speak Na'vi in his acceptance speech.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love Helen Mirren too, but let's give Sophia a break. She's 80 or a hundred years older than I am. You should have that waistline when you're about to enter your second millenium.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm beginning to get worried about CqP. Did she not say she was going to be here?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

My wife says Reese always wears blue.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Mudge.

here. No power on two streets. Helping little sweet lady who is on oxygen with her generator..Back.

Reece in midnight off shoulder/one shoulder.

Meryl's Velma glasses are fab. Bet they are readers or more, Frosti. you and me both.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike Tyson with facial tattoos? When did that happen?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Mudge I would have been happy to have that waist line at any time in my life.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes Reese wears blush pink, and couture creations including creamy beige with silver netting and jewels....and sequins.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Reeces' dress is one of my favs of the nice, simple and elegant, gorgeous colour.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

SCC Reese, think I had peanut butter cups on my mind :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Both Helen M and Sophia L in black; Helen has more sequins; Sophia in bustier-style -- she looks rather tanned. Helen may be sporting a red bow for something. Others too.

AveDar-- says Aaaarrrnnoollllddd

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Micky R with snake or aligator lapels.... odd odd but in character.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is, I was never especially attracted to La Loren in her younger years; that buxom voluptuous type has never been my cup of tea. But I think I like her better now than at any earlier time.

Well, there you are, CqP! Sorry to hear about those troubles. But glad you helped a neighbor and glad you're here.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Reese generally dresses well, and is almost unfailingly polite. Quite a hard driver in the business, though. Several industry writers have pointed out that standing in her way is unwise unless you're willing to take a hit.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Yay! CqP is here! I can quit boodle hogging.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Cary M in a junior tiara. BC is jealous but living well

Sandra is a purple-violet cross bustier top -- well fitted I may add which is not always the case....gown is layered in tissue style

helen's hair is perfect.

Sandra, like others, wearing the deconstructed hollywood just-be-boffed hair.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Lots of deconstructed hair this year; nary an updoo in sight.

Now, the twiggy look.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

RDJr has a stylize goatee -- look for it in malls everywhere next week.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I'm glad CqP is back, but note that in her absence the Boodle managed some pretty good live-fashion blogging. You have taught us well, CqP.

I think I will sleep soon. Today has been long, what with all the celebrating (and happy birthday to badsneakers!). I meant to be reading a novel but got sucked into "Charlie Wilson's War" which is a good story and, at times, startlingly like fiction.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 17, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

CP, we're glad you're here. We missed your commentary.

Robert Downey's Jr. presenter has the only short dress I've seen all night.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 17, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

BobS; my Omaha cousins did support work in Election -- one of the best movies ever - what you say is true in that film, Alexander Payne's breakout movie. They also say that Matt B was a doll and great to work with.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

RickO Julia Roberts in in short black wrap number -- sorta a Dianne Von Furstenberg homage....with a hUGE cameo=type heavy chain bling thing....I looked at a costume designer site a moment ago.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

You mean she really is Tracy Flick - great movie.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 17, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Jk gets a special tiara from me;

Kate in one shoulder deep midnight....not black. Soft hair, solft racoon eyes...

Toby M -- needs a shade.

Jeff B looks a bit like Kris Kristopherson...makes sense.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

All black formal-wear, like JCash and Kris Kris....and will he thank TBone Burnett?.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

TBone rocks the dark wayfarers

JB's hair also strikes a Civil war re-enactor note too.

Nice guy. Lots of thank yous and call outs.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Look for Julia R next, RickO -- short dress unless she changed. Long wavey I-am-21 hair....Julia and others....guess casual hair is back in formal wear....Robin G will not approve.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Cracyheart has been getting this slow but building background buzz. I'm hoping it or Up in the Air beats out Avdar. I know The Hurt Locker has no chance whatsoever.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 17, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Julia -- fix your hair!!!! looks beach-trip time with kids.

Here is January Jones in a lovely black dress:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Sig. W in a lovely hunter green shade, lovely next to the red gown....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Julie Roberts looks like a gangsta rapper.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

James Cameron in a more generous mood for others....unlike the Titanic moment.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Presenter from British Office Ricky G...where is his neckwear?

Sorry to have missed y;all...now, off to pick up some poker playing boys who missed the power otutage.....

Jk -- nice work; Julia needs a new stylist....let's send her to Clint and Stacey on What Not to Wear....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

CqP-I was expecting Stacey and Clinton to pop out from back stage and take her away. They did Mayim Bialik so the celebrity intervention has precedent.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm guessing that Julia Roberts has spent more time at awards shows (and been offered more style advice) than I'll ever accrue, so I'll trust that she knows what she's doing.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 17, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Five years...Wow!

Thanks, Joel, for bringing us together.

Posted by: abeac1 | January 17, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams. With both the Vikes and Glee coming out winners today how could dreams be anything but sweet?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 17, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I checked out the story about the Notre Dame student paper apologizing for an offensive cartoon:

and tracked down the cartoon:

Wow! They really should be ashamed. I've chuckled guiltily at some pretty horrific stuff over the years. But this was a textbook example of the offensive "joke" that's virtually devoid of cleverness. I've known completely unreconstructed Klan-type preteens who'd have been embarrassed to share a joke this stupid.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 18, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the Observer thing was sort of sophomorically brilliant, and I feel bad for them that so few folks could get on board. As any of a number of humorists could tell you, angry satire doesn't always get appreciated.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 18, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Achenblog!

I’m glad I found the Achenblog where I could write and post little stories. I don’t talk very much so writing is an outlet for me. It keeps me sane. So thank you, Joel.

Posted by: rainforest1 | January 18, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Belated happy birthday, badsneakers.

I was reading rt’s 11.59am post about him not having power at home, and poof, my power went off….eerie..….It has been raining for a whole week and no sign of stopping. I had prayed that the power outage wasn’t due to the power station been flooded like last year. Good thing it wasn’t.

Posted by: rainforest1 | January 18, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

In the rain department, heavy rains caused an Inca retaining wall at an important site near Cusco to fail. Park management says they'll have it back together in just 45 days.

I suppose even the finest construction isn't permanent.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 18, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse

bobs,
The original punchline to that Notre Dame cartoon was "AIDS" but it was yanked for being too offensive. The replacement strikes me as being worse.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

five years of the achenblog seems like a good thing to me. not just for the kits, which are (obviously) some of the most interesting and truly funny pieces in the WAPO, but for the commentary by the boodlers.

although i comment infrequently i check in almost every day. i am often stunned by the intelligence at work here, but just as often by the kindness extended to others. i would hope to someday be able to get to DC for a BPH. for today, many thanks to the boss and to all the rest of you good people.

Posted by: butlerguy | January 18, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Good morninckz, Boodle!

What? Sneaking a five year Boodley-blogging anyversary while I'm busy watching the six-o'clock?

Well, haff a blessed, blogging-boodling birthday!

Posted by: Braguine | January 18, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Not only is the Notre Dame cartoon not funny, it's not even original-I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it's an old Terri Schiavo joke in an even more offensive guise.

Good morning boodle. Watching St. Paul rush hour traffic build. While living in NoVA I never really thought about how little attention is paid to many federal holidays in that vast territory way, way, way outside the beltway. A shame really.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 18, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Happy 5th anniversary Joel!

E.T.

Posted by: Eurotrash1 | January 18, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to add:

Hi Boodle!

Posted by: Eurotrash1 | January 18, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Eurotrash!!! LTNS, how are things with you?

Posted by: badsneakers | January 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Eurotrash.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 18, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Ohmygosh, Eurotrash! So good to hear from you, I hope everything is well in Belgium.

If Nani checks in, my day will be complete.

Morning all, Mr. T and I slept in like it was a Saturday. He's waiting for the crew to show up and start working on his new garage.

Cassandra, cool story in the Observer this morning about a cemetary not far from you. It's always good to see those being taken care of. I remember my uncle taking me to the cemetary where the original members of the family are buried. It was overgrown; now the weeds are kept in check, but there are big trees among the gravestones. Oh well.

Posted by: slyness | January 18, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I was reading one of the old kits and comments Joel had link in the above kit. I came across comments of Eurotrash and was wondering about him. I came back to today's kit and refresh. Guess who drop by - Eurotrash.

Weird things are happening to me today. I think I'll go to bed now.

Posted by: rainforest1 | January 18, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Eurotrash!! *Snoopy dances* Don't wait for the next anniversary, stick around! :-)

And thank yourself, butlerguy, you're one of the crowd!

Cassandra, I'm still thinking good thoughts for tomorrow. *HUGS*

Yes, this was a sleep-in kinda morning, complete with coffee in bed. Far too rare these days...

*enjoying-it-while-it-lasts Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 18, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Hi Eurotrash!

Does anyone else find it a bit disorienting to read Golden Globe coverage and realize Sandra Bullock won for drama, and Meryl Streep for comedy?

Later gators. Very busy day ahead, made brighter by Norm Coleman's decision not to run for governor.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 18, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Hank Stuever wrote a great article about the Golden Globes, but if you get the dead trees edition like I do, you didn't get the whole story.

It seems that Style goes to bed sometime before 11.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

And why are more errors getting past the WaPo copy editors? Because their spending all there time writing search engine optimized headlines. The original ombudsman article:

And my take:

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Happy MLK Day everyone. I shall be spending a lot of it taking my son back down to college.

Insert "Free at Last" riff here.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 18, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Happy King Day to all you gummint workers. I was wondering why it was so quiet this morning. I was just blaming Golden Globe hangovers until it dawned on me that some people get to celebrate civil rights.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Safe travels, RD_P and Son!!! *insert Sanford & Son riff here* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 18, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

And your crazy musical interlude of the morning...

Tal Wilkenfeld and Jeff Beck "collaborate" on a version of "Freeway Jam," including Jeff playing two instruments at once! Not the greatest sound, but amazing nonetheless...

*L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 18, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm here toiling away too, yello.

Posted by: Moose13 | January 18, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

haven't kept up properly with the boodle in a few days, but just wanted to say...

happy 5th to the achenblog, and happy belated to sneaks!

kb, glad to hear the news about your job.

cassandra, good thoughts for your doctor's visit.

Posted by: LALurker | January 18, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Tracking the California rains and then maps of the areas, I stumbled on this nice resource some will want to bookmark. Topo maps of U.S. National Parks. BIG detailed maps.

San Diego will not get much rain it seems (Navy nephew there)

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 18, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning' y'all.

yello: I stopped reeding a sertain newspaper out uv The Big Appel in part becuz uv its grammer/spellling errors and its lak uv fac cheking.

DotC: I went to Sacsayhuaman Park in the 1980s. It's an amazing place. Thanks for reporting. My impression back then was that Peru didn't have a lot of money for historic preservation. Even some of the relics in museums weren't stored or displayed in ways to maximize long-term survival. I was grateful they did as much as they could under the circumstances.

bobs, et. al.: I first heard the Notre Dame cartoon 'joke' back in the late 1970s. Just saying variations of it have been around a while.

Posted by: MsJS | January 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Slept until 9!! Oh what decadence! (My wife went to work at 7:30 being the main reason this was allowed to happen.)

ET, you finally phoned home! Excellent! And nice to see you, too, Butlerguy.

Yes, if only Nani...

I was quite unimpressed with the ombudsman explanation of why the coopy-editing has decreased. He didn't even seem to agree much that it had, in his opinion; he seemed merely to quoite others and to cite complaints, without acknowledging there was a problem. The bottom line is, quality has suffered. But he won't say it. Copy editors have been reduced by a third, AND they've been given increased non-copy-editing duties inserting keywords. This is basically like asking surgeons to do work nurses and techs can do. They need to keep the copy editors doing copy editing, and find lesser-skilled or differently trained people to do the keywords thing. They don't need Bill Walsh and Pat the Perfect doing html coding. Sweet cheeses.

I have yet to hear a single instance in business where a noticeable diminution of quality and increased customer complaints is a good thing for the bottom line. These people need a stern talking-to from Tom Peters.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

SCC: coopy? Ironic, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I had time to do those WaPo Watch posts this morning because I was at home waiting for a toe-truck. My SUV conked out with the same problem my wife's car had two weeks ago. They're are good and bad things about brand loyalty.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Morning all...

MsJS... not sure if you've been around these parts and seen my links to the amazing photo site www.shorpy.com, but this morning's image (he often updates during the day) may be of interest to you.

Be careful, though, if you had anything planned for today. The site is a real time suck...

Posted by: -TBG- | January 18, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

yello, I wonder how many tootsies you can put in that toe truck. Is there room for insteps and ankles?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 18, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Be a shame to leave the poor soles behind, I think.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 18, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Mudge, about the ombudsman's column yesterday. It's been far too long since the WaPo actually paid attention to this problem with spelling, grammar or word choice (homonyms being all interchangeable, regardless of context).

Anyhow, I see we're still celebrating the anniversary of the boodle. And look who has come to the table -- Eurotrash!!!! Woo-hoo!!! And butlerguy, too. Yay!

But yello -- what happened to your foot that you needed a toe truck?

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 18, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

TBG - I love that photo archive. And I admit I took a quick look at the Bathing Beauties of 1923. Yowzer.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 18, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Ironic indeed, Mudge, but in general Boodlers don't have copy editors on staff.

I'm one of those folks who believe the newspaper organizations of old still have immense catching up to do in the customer relations department. The role of the ombudsman is a case in point.

An ombudsman is supposed to be a person appointed to receive and investigate complaints made by customers. These days their role seems to be increasingly one of defending newspaper decisions and practices.

Sometimes I think ombudsfolk do more damage than good for both their papers and their customers. They seem to be, at least sometimes, powerless mouthpieces taking the heat for others without having the authority to actually change things. It isn't a job I'd apply for, that's for sure.

Posted by: MsJS | January 18, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering if they would at least give yello one of those little sets of wheels. I mean, the road rash...

Posted by: --dr-- | January 18, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. A good Martin Luther King Day to you all.

I think we can celebrate the Birthday as long as the Kit is up, so Happy Continuing Achenblog Birthday. It is so nice to see people check in.

Eurotrash!! Don't leave again!

Butlerguy, I always look forward to your posts.

Yes, if Nani and Achenfan/Tomfan/Dreamer would drop by it would be splendid. Also lotsa others. Lurkers? Lurkers who've posted a couple of times in the past year? C'mon, you know who you are. Shout out a howdy.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

TBG: Thank you for the link. The Great Northern Building was one of classic Daniel Burnham structures, built during the architecture heyday after the Great Chicago Fire.

Posted by: MsJS | January 18, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Well, the point of the Notre Dame thing wasn't the joke (which hardly qualifies as a joke at all) but the fact that only "tools" would tell each other the joke. And to get that point across, something fairly stupid & offensive was ideal.

Like I said, a little sophomoric, and a bit meta- for most folks, but not without a certain subversive appeal.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 18, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

6.0 earthquake in Guatamala near the Honduran border. No report yet on casualties.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 18, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

A good day to both mutants and non-mutants!

"Recently, a major molecular cause of this change in skin color has been identified for Europeans. Specifically, the gene SLC24A5 turns out to be critical for the production of melanin, the predominant dark pigment of the skin and hair. In Africans, as in most other vertebrates, that gene is fully functional. But vitually 100 percent of Eropeans have a mutation of SLC24A5 that greatly impairs the function of the protein. Thus it is fair to say that all white-skinned Europeans like me are mutants! Interestingly, Asians have the fully functional version of the SLC24A5, but have acquired mutations in other genes that result in lighter skin, while retaining black hair."

From "The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine" by Francis S. Collins, Harper Collins, 2010, p. 150

BTW, I'm still really uncomfortable with the Darwin Kit linked to above that promotes Lincoln over Darwin.

And if you are certainly in favor of civil rights and human rights and aboloshing oppression, then why not concentrate your efforts on the female slave trade in Southeast Asia and other pockets on the globe, or female reproductive rights across the globe? SOOOOO much more to be done!

And what brought asdg/Error down? Pancreatic cancer wasn't it? Interesting news on BRCA1 and pancreatic cancer in Collins' "The Language of Life" book just out in the first two weeks of this month.

Posted by: laloomis | January 18, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

My sister needs a lift can you slipper in?

Happy 5 1/365th.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Ummm... aren't there quite a few people concentrating their efforts on the female slave trade in Southeast Asia and other pockets on the globe, and female reproductive rights across the globe? I seem to have read quite a few articles (several of them in the Washington Post) indicating that to be true.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 18, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Lincoln had a rare genetic disorder that affected his gait and speech.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

No doubt the Honduran tremor just mentioned is some sort of interaction between the Cocos Plate and the Caribbean Plate. This is tectonics, not dinnerware patterns:

Am reading a book that I hate to put down, so much so that I'll be sad to come to the book's end, about the little known science of biogeography, "Here Be Dragons." More on "Here Be Dragons" at another time.

Posted by: laloomis | January 18, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, the story that Lincoln had Marfans is not conclusive nor without debate.

There has been disagreement about remaining blood evidence from Lincoln that could be sequenced/analyzed to help make the Marfan determination. Not a lot of evidence, the need for the certainty that science is up to the task when so little genetic material from Lincoln is available, and concerns from family members about the results and the dissemination of information once the testing has been concluded. IIRC, these details are spelled out in Reilly's 2000 (and now ancient) book "Abraham Lincoln's DNA and Other Adventures in Genetics."

Others have argued more recently in favor, perhaps more persuasively, for another disorder that may have affected Lincoln: a multiple endocrine neoplasia.

May I remind people over and over again of the importance of looking things up?

Posted by: laloomis | January 18, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Good day!

Had a long chat with my parents last night about five years of reading kits and boodles.

I posted my first comment around the time I had my finger chopped and reconstituted with bits of someone else's bones. I was so upset about the whole thing, and finding this community really helped.

I had spent hours reading about what was wrong with my hand, what the surgery would entail, and how things would work out in the end. No amount of looking up made me feel as good as the kindness and the humor I found here.

Posted by: abeac1 | January 18, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Bob, your posts late last night and this morning have me thinking of this wonderful (rather small, but packed with meat) book that does a wonderful job of explaining the differences between ironic satire and snark:

I was thinking of you last night and was wondering if you'd quit smoking? Wasn't that what you were trying to do, IIRC?

Yes, NYT's Nicholas Kristof has done a lot about writing about the sex slave in Southeast Asia. I was fingering his book yesterday at a big-box retailer (that he plugged in his last op-ed), but only had one discount coupon. Yesterday, Collins exerted the greater pull, although there was one chapter titled "Family Planning and the God Gulf" that certainly would call me back for a more thorough look.

Posted by: laloomis | January 18, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

There's a plethora of wrongs to be righted....why quibble with where others concentrate their efforts?

Kind of ironic that you recognize the validity of concerns regarding dissemination of personal information.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 18, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Did Lincoln get kicked in the head by a mule as a boy, causing some damage to his cheekbone?

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course, someone who had clicked on yellojkt's link and then looked things up, would have found that the "rare genetic disorder" discussed in the article was, indeed, multiple endocrine neoplasia.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 18, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: MsJS | January 18, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on five years. I don't say it enough - great writing, Joel. Here's my tribute, maybe the Achenbro can do it live:

Inexorable (psychological) disintegration

Tune: Megadeth, Symphony of Destruction

You take a mortal man
And give him his own blog
Watch him become a god
And call it the A-blog
A-Blog, A-blog

Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
Joel leads his boodle minions
Watching his own inexoroble disintegration

Blogs on what he chooses
Puts the truth above rumor
Lesser minds up in arms
They don’t get his humor
Humor, humor

Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
Joel leads his boodle minions
Watching his own inexoroble

Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
Joel leads his boodle minions
Watching his own inexoroble
Watching his own inexoroble disintegration

When other blogs will crumble
Page views start to fall
An oasis on the internet
The Achenblog stands tall
Tall, tall

Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
Joel leads his boodle minions
Watching Joel’s inexoroble

Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
Joel leads his boodle minions
Watching Joel’s inexoroble
Watching Joel’s inexoroble disintegration

Posted by: engelmann | January 18, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Englemann, Megadeth?

Sweet. Haven't listened to a Megadeth album for years -- thanks for giving me a reason to.

And for the alternative lyrics...

Posted by: -bc- | January 18, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, bc, I was hoping I could count on you at least to appreciate this bit of musical diversity. I wanted to do something a bit different. The first idea that came to mind was "Bodies" by Drowning Pool ("Let some comments on the blog") but that's even more obscure and there's not much to the lyrics.

Posted by: engelmann | January 18, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, a front page link!

Englemann, this is for you...

Let the comments hit the blog
let the comments hit the blog
let the comments hit the blog
let the comments hit the ----

One - someone's got to Kit
Two - someone's got to Kit
Three - someone's got to Boodle
Four - someone's GOT TO BOODLE!

Let the comments hit the blog..."

Dang, englemann, I'm not going to get that one out of my head for a long time. Think I'm going to have to close the door and dance in my office for awhile.

A good long while.