Haiti: The bodies

another guzy.jpg

What we're seeing in Haiti is an unmitigated disaster -- and I picked that adjective carefully. Relief is on the ground but in some cases not exactly on the way. We're seeing, at the airport, a tragic bottleneck, as there's simply no place to put all the planes and no way to get all the stuff off those planes and to the people who need it. It'll eventually get worked out, but as I write it's been 70 hours since the earthquake and there's still nothing like an organized relief effort as far as I can see from here. The crisis is still in a phase of cascading problems, not least of which is what to do with all the bodies. The solution so far has been mass graves -- hard to believe in the 21st century.

From The Miami Herald:

President René Préval told The Miami Herald that in a 20-hour span, government workers removed 7,000 corpses from the streets and morgue and buried them in mass graves....

Outside the Port-au-Prince morgue, Lionel Gaedi was confronted by a horrific scene when he went in search of the remains of his brother, Josef.

Toddlers piled up on naked adults, some wrapped in sheets, others exposed to the blazing sun, with solemn onlookers staring at the half-block blanketed in bodies.

Throughout the day, police, civilians and private clean-up companies dumped cadavers because they had no other place to take them.

The morgue had run out of room so people were left on the street, where family members like Gaedi walked among them in search of their lost loved ones.

This guy at Huffington Post says it's all America's fault. Discuss.

Meanwhile, David Brooks says Haitian culture is "progress-resistant." Discuss that, too. (Although maybe there should be a rule that political science should wait until search-and-rescue is finished, you know?)

more guzy.jpg

[Photos by Carol Guzy, The Washington Post.]

more to come...

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 15, 2010; 2:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haiti earthquake search and rescue
Next: Five years of the Achenblog

Comments

It gets sadder and more horrifying by the hour.

Posted by: Yoki | January 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

This whole nonsense about whose fault this is (the Devil, if you believe Pat Robertson, or us if you believe Quigley) is just so beside the point. This is, as you say Joel, and unmitigated disaster. And mitigation is going to be painfully slow because the disaster is so wide-spread and the support infrastructure almost non-existent.

Posted by: ebtnut | January 15, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere in the reading I've done about this in that past couple of days some nitwit envisioned going to Haiti for a few weeks as a "break" for U.S. troops. I don't think that's going to be the opinion of the mortuary service guys who might have to disinter and photograph - and take DNA samples from - all those bodies. They have had to do that in Bosnia. But maybe that was because of pending genocide charges there from massacres. In this case, does anyone know if eventually this will have to be done?

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 15, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I believe we already covered Brooks, and I'm pretty sure I've already heard Quigley's quacking from others...

Even with USAF specialists providing ATC and U.S. Army folks on the tarmac, they're still having problems getting the airport running smoothly. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, that was beyond the pale, wasn't it? Truly awful.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Not your comment, Wheezy, but the nitwit's? Maybe.

I would offer the uninformed opinion that since this is a natural disaster there would be no legal reason to disinter.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Someone's fault???? Someone's fault line?

Let's see: will Cheney blame this earthquake on Obama, while enjoying a cigar with Rummy on the Eastern Shore this evening (and, yes, I know that a cigar can sometimes be only a cigar, but . . . )?

I am incomparably saddened for the Haitian people, the children (now orphaned or not), those from other countries who happened to be there at the time. I have made my donation. But I cannot stand to look at the pictures within the comfort of my home, without feeling like a voyeur, because I cannot to more. It took about two or three days after 9/11 for me to avoid watching the WTC buildings collapse over and over and over and over again. It was the same for me about the tsunami. I cannot at this time (alas) contribute more than my empathy, my sympathy and my sorrow as a fellow human being. It's not nearly enough but it's all that I have right now.

Such devastation and such ugliness from those who wish to make a profit -- be it monetary or emotional.

*sigh*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

And one bit of good news -- an AWACS orbiting Haiti is now providing radar support for the airport. But it's still a mess on the tarmac:

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

SCC: cannot *do* more

Posted by: -ftb- | January 15, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Finally!! The authoritative response from a key theologian I've been asking for!

Pat Robertson 'A Public Relations Nightmare,' Says God

Almighty Holds Rare Press Conference

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) - In the wake of his comments about the earthquake in Haiti, televangelist Pat Robertson has become a "public relations nightmare" and a "gynormous embarrassment to me, personally," God said today.

In a rare press conference at the Grand Hyatt in New York City, the usually reclusive Almighty said that He was taking the unusual step of airing His feelings in public because "enough is enough."

"I pray that his TV show would just go away, but of course, when you're me there's no one to pray to," God said, to the laughter of the packed room of reporters.

While God held out no hope that Rev. Robertson's "700 Club" would be cancelled any time soon, He did say, somewhat ruefully, "If Pat Robertson were on NBC he'd be replaced by Jay Leno by now."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 15, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy11, the BBC passes on this snippet which should answer your question:

"Following lessons learned from the 2004 Asian tsunami, recovery teams will only be able to take snapshots of the dead before the bodies decay and snip pieces of clothing to show relatives. DNA sampling and medical records cannot be used in Haiti, where many people are destitute and have never received adequate medical care."

Posted by: simpleton1 | January 15, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm new so correct me if I get the terminology wrong, but I think I mudged myself. I'll just snip this bit from my post at the end of last kit since it is still on topic.

I kept checking the dateline on that David Brooks column, expecting it to read 1910 instead of 2010. What exactly is it about Haiti that brings all the social darwinists out of the woodwork?

Never mind, I think I know the answer to that question...

Posted by: qgaliana | January 15, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Mudge can you provide a link for that as I would like to share that!

Posted by: dmd3 | January 15, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea if the presence of the United States has hurt of helped Haiti. There are simply too many variables. Certainly it is naive to assume that some harm hasn't been done. The United States is not occupied solely by saints. But nor is is composed of nothing but scoundrels.

And isolating the impact of various forces, especially given the overwhelming destructive force of a 7.0 earthquake, seems a lost cause.

But who cares, at this point. I mean, what does assignment of blame have to do with the actions that must be taken now? Again, it seems like hijacking tragedy to make some kind of tangential point.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Here ya go, dmd. http://borowitzreport.com/

*laughing* Yes, qgaliana, you've picked up the terminology just fine. You mudged yourself.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 15, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Choire at TheAwl has some pointed comments about the inanity of David Brooks comparing the last Caribbean resort he visited to the entire nation of Haiti.

I think I made my position on Brooks pretty clear yesterthread.

Quigley overlooks my sugar tariff talking point in favor of discussing our dumping rice on the world market. We are getting those Haitian farmers coming and going.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Worser and worser. I am just mightily annoyed by this insistence that someone, something or some country is to "blame" for this destruction. Humans naturally try to find a cause for our misfortune and that of others. It is much easier and more comforting to believe that someone or something causes illness, bad luck or disaster. Depending on our assignment of blame, we can then (a) rest secure that it wasn't our fault, (b) make their misfortune the victims' fault, (c) believe that such misfortnue could not happen to us, (d) all of the above. This is not an exclusive list.

A devastating earthquake is to blame for the suffering in Haiti. This is what we call a natural disaster. They happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. Could different historical policy decisions and different resources have helped ease the burden of the disaster? Sure; compare recent earthquakes in Italy, California, Japan, the New Orleans hurricane, the Indonesian tsunami. We're told (and I have no reason to doubt) that Haiti is a poor, overpopulated country with a corrupt and troubled government and inequitable distribution of resources. Okay. Did those things cause this devastation? Nope. Earthquake.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 15, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

But Ivansmom -- Earthquake (where and when to strike) is in the hands of God, right? Sooooo, if God decides that poor, overpopulated countries with corrupt gummints need a comeuppance, then there we go. And, well, there's also San Francisco, because *we all* know what goes on there, don't we?

I'm so sick of this breathtakingly egregious behavior by some who want so badly to have this terrible tragedy be all about them.

*expletive laden sighs*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Since the Haitian government has approved having the US Joint Task Force Haiti oversee the airport, why don't they start to divert fights to a US Airbase or Airport? Surely they can send all these international aid flights (specifically the cargo) to McDill AFB in Tampa or Patrick AFB at Cocoa then transfer the cargo to C5s and fly them down. If those bases couldn't handle it, use part of Miami International, which is a huge airport with many runways (i.e. close a runway or two and suddenly you have more places to park planes). It might be an inconvenience for those using Miami's airport, but isn't it worth saving lives?

Also, what type of planes are bringing the cargo in? If it is typical commercial cargo planes, they normally require special equipment at the airport to unload. The C5 and the military's cargo moving equipment was specifically designed to be self sufficient, i.e. no need to rely on the airport equipment. Run the operation so that only C5's could land in Haiti and they'd just drop they load and leave. They could even bring in trucks and bulldozers to clear the roads, plus bring stairs down to get rescue workers off the passenger airlines.

This whole airport situation seems like an instance where just letting the military handle everything for a while would be beneficial to all.

Posted by: mskidz | January 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Since we are on to deciding who to blame for earthquakes, why not lay some at the feet of the Almighty 'mudge mentioned earlier. He's the dude who made the tectonic plates that grind together here and there and he's the one turning the screws on all of them to make them do what they do. He's the one who gave all us folks the free will to be corrupt or to ignore the corruption of others, thereby allowing the dearth of roads or building codes. Who knows, though, maybe the devil is involved too, a la Book of Job. We all remember that deal with the devil, made not by Haitians practicing voodoo, but by Yahweh himself. From most accounts, the Haitians are a very devout people, and God does seem to have set numerous precedents in screwing over some of his most ardent followers. And in this case, He seems to not have a big problem with kicking people when they are down.

By the way, if disease due to contact with the deceased is going to soon become a huge concern, as I believe it will, I wonder if there should be a plan for cremation of the remains rather than burial in mass graves, which are sure to leach into groundwater, possibly contaminating it.

Posted by: Gomer144 | January 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Padouk,
Your 4.19 post made me think of what to expect next.

Thus prediction:

As American troops arrive and become numerous, expect squables as to who is in charge, UN or US.

Of course, people who know Haiti and been working there for years will be bulldozed aside.

I hope I am wrong.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | January 15, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

In military airlift terms, the C-130s are good for unimproved airstrips, C-5s for better conditions. I suppose there might be some use in consolidating air cargoes in the US (Patrick AFB south of Cocoa Beach doesn't have the facilities; Dover does; I think it would be more practical to use civilian airports). The C5s can move fairly large equipment, and might be able to bring in loading/unloading equipment. Anyway, people who have done disasters like Sumatra will by now have prepared scenarios for situations like Port-au-Prince.

Changing the subject, the Book of Job features "the satan". The article definitely means that "satan" is a title, in the way that in law enforcement, a person caught doing something would be referred to as "the john". "The satan" was evidently a functionary in the heavenly court, doing his duty. God did not mention him in His response to Job. The Christian Satan developed well after Job and perhaps increased in stature as the years went on, culminating in "Paradise Lost".

The Book of Job isn't terribly helpful for consoling the people of Port-au-Prince. The Book of Lamentations might be more appropriate, but the little capital city of Jerusalem and its mini-kingdom were beloved of its inhabitants in a way that Port-au-Prince probably isn't. Possibly some of the Psalms will do.

The Post's 2:54 p.m. video of bodies in Port-au-Prince was sobering and difficult to watch.

So far, unlike Kobe, Japan in 1995 and earlier earthquakes in Tokyo and San Francisco, Port-au-Prince seems not to have suffered large fires. Let's hope that doesn't change.

The guy at Huffington might be more or less right. For comparable opinions, check with those who think NAFTA destroyed Mexican corn production.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid there is a big dearth of heavy equipment, and people who are trained in careful demolition to remove debris and so save some lives.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 15, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Natural disaster, corpses, and the risk of infectious diseases:

Make sure people handling corpses wear gloves and clean their hands.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

mskidz-I believe the runway is too short for C-5s. But US military control can't hurt.

Sad, unrelentingly sad. The only explanation I can think of for some of the more egregious comments-both from professional talking heads and blog commenters-is an inability to deal with the inexplicable. I fear they'd rather make something up and spout it than stay quiet.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 15, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

My guess on the lack of fires is that there are no natural gas mains to rupture, therefore no ignition points. IIRC, that was the reason for the fires in the last SF earthquake. It's something we can be thankful for in this instance.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Satan: Hebrew, "the accuser" and Persian, "the adversary"

Satan as God's nemesis is a later development.

Posted by: slyness | January 15, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, I didn't know there was going to be a pop quiz!

* whine whine *

I'll start with Mr. Brooks. Three points:
1) Geography: The U.S. Geological Survey’s website (www.earthquake.usgs.gov) states that the epicenter of the 1989 earthquake he references was near Loma Prieta peak in the Santa Cruz mountains, 9 miles from the city of Santa Cruz and about 60 miles from downtown San Francisco. By contrast, this week’s earthquake struck 15 miles from Port-au-Prince. While earthquake resistant structures indeed make a difference, so does the distance between the quake’s epicenter and major population centers.

(more)

Posted by: MsJS | January 15, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

(continued)

2. Frequency: I'm sure I could look up specifics on this, but the U.S. Geological Survey website has a section about earthquakes outside the U.S. by country and Haiti isn't even listed. I interpret that to mean the nation hasn't experienced many, if any, noticeable quakes in the last 50 years or so. It would follow that buildings wouldn't be built with seismic activity in mind, yet Mr. Brooks seems to think that would have/should have been a priority. If someone has solid data on this, please correct me.

(continued)

Posted by: MsJS | January 15, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

(continued)

3. U.S. aid and poverty levels: Mr. Brooks writes, “The countries that have not received much aid, like China, have seen tremendous growth and tremendous poverty reductions. The countries that have received aid, like Haiti, have not.”

I invite Mr. Brooks to expand his horizon and look at other countries before drawing that conclusion. Take Israel, for example, year in and year out a significant beneficiary of U.S. foreign aid.

The National Insurance Institute of Israel (www.btl.gov.il) reports that during the period between 1998 and 2007 the overall Israeli poverty rate increased 30.8 percent and the poverty rate among children increased 50 percent.

Now then, anyone for more chocolate cake? Leftover from yesterday, but still yummage.

And Mr. A, please no more pop quizzes, 'kay?

Posted by: MsJS | January 15, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

This may not be a prominent religious leader making fun of Robertson but is does make you laugh.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 15, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Belated shout-out to Carol Guzy. I looked at some of her work just now, and am overwhelmed. Yet, clearly, the work she is doing in Haiti must rank as some of her best and most challenging. Luckily, Joel's prose does her pictures justice. So thanks to her, and all those who are working hard to bring us this story.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 15, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The earthquakiness of Port-au-Prince may have been ambiguous. There was a Port-au-Prince earthquake in 1770, but the fault near the city doesn't mark the boundary between the Caribbean and North American Plates...so I doubt that it was seen as an urgent hazard, though all of Hispaniola seems quake-prone, as is Puerto Rico.

It's disturbing to see that expensive new buildings collapsed in this week's earthquake. The situation seems a little like the Guatemala earthquake of 1976, where adobe and other masonry buildings collapsed, while wood structures (often inhabited by "indians" in a country where cultural identity is important) survived.

For a bit of comparison, the Cascadia coast from Eureka, California to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, is a subduction zone, similar to Chile or Sumatra. It's now clear that Cascadia regularly has great subduction earthquakes. The most recent occurred on the evening of January 26, 1700--but this date was established only about 15 years ago, with much effort. Older quakes were even more difficult to pin down.

Bottom line: If, in what was then Metro-Dade County, Florida, strict building codes were ignored by builders, resulting in wholesale ruin during hurricane Andrew, showed that big builders in Miami weren't following code, I'm reluctant to lay much blame on affluent Haitians who built structures, including their own houses, that proved to be death traps.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: In what was then Metro-Dade County, Florida, builders ignored strict building codes intended to minimize hurricane damage. As a result, the southern part of the county suffered far worse than it should have in the 1992 hurricane. If that happened in an educated, sophisticated, more or less honestly-governed American City, I'm reluctant to blame affluent Haitians who built structures, including their own houses, became death traps.

I admire the relatively poor state of Oregon for "earthquaking" public buildings. The last time I checked, though, retrofitting or replacement of bridges was lagging badly. The long-overdue Sellwood Bridge in Portland is requiring its own special tax increase:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

(Hiccup) double post. Sorry.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 15, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

good column dmd, thanks!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 15, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Mini BPH in Charlotte. Jack, Son of G, Jumper and three guests: Jack's daughter and Carl and Heather, friends of mine. Was it synchronicity that Jack was reminding me of a nice slide show I'd send him of some very old local graveyards, right before my friend Carl, the one who'd shot the slideshow, walked in to join us? Or had I invited Carl subconsciously? Because I had forgotten all about the slide show.

Is it a karass or just a granfalloon?

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 15, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

The comments and information available here have been invaluable in keeping some perspective on this terrible event. I am grateful to be a small part of this community. Watching Rachel Maddow tonight, she just said that we have diverted an unmanned drone (was supposed to go to Afghanistan) which has been taking photos of Port au Prince all day and will take more tomorrow. Because these are such high resolution (she showed two examples, they were stunningly clear), they will be helpful to both the relief groups and the gov't agencies that need to know what individual areas need. Nice to see a humanitarian use for the drones.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 15, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks: Amen to that!

Posted by: MsJS | January 15, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

highest levels of bisphenol A in cash register receipts?

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 15, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

just in from nightly canine duty. a good time was had by all this evening in the Queen City. good food, good fellowship, good friends.

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Good to know we're raising a new generation of BPH'ers, jack. :-)

Posted by: -TBG- | January 15, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

i think the granfalloon, jumper. whatever it was, it *was* grand. lupie's is simply good karma. did you see the Thompson's sign on the landing?

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

yeah, TBG. plus, a second generation of patrons at a Charlotte institution. #2 dott's kindle drew ooh's and aah's.

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

some lightheartedness, in an effort to shed some of the weighty emotions wrought over the past 3 days...409

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

*this* took a lot of practice. amazing.

Posted by: -jack- | January 15, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

We've been quoting Andy Borowitz today. Here's his most recent Tweet...

BorowitzReport: I used to think people who commented on blogs had no lives. And then I realized, I'm READING those comments.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 15, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

RD, I'm with you on a couple of counts this evening: Ms. Guzy's photgraphic records of this disaster as it's unfolding and the idea - echoed by others - that now is not the time for accusations and assignment of blame for the situations in Haiti.

There will be time to consider such things later (if that's even useful at all)-- but what I think is important is what to do *next.*

I've seen some death in my life, but not on the scale in Haiti -- I don't know how to deal with the bodies or the scale of the friends and relatives; in shock, overhwelmed, heartbroken, possibly malnourished and in need of, well, *everything.*

Love and caring as much as anything.

And soon, perhaps, hope. Let's try to give it to them.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 16, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

BBC reports that the Haitian Interior Minister told Reuters that 50,000 bodies have been collected. He anticipated a total of 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.

I hope those numbers are severely exaggerated.

Among those trapped in collapsed Hotel Montana was the head of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). He and several others were in the lobby when the hotel collapsed. A big desk protected several survivors.

For ominous Caribbean geology (volcanoes as well as earthquakes), New Scientist links to an interesting report in pdf format:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 16, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I'm grateful to laloomis for informing me about dirt-cookies. I wasn't aware of that particular desperate survival technique, and as tone-deaf as the introduction of the knowledge may have been, I needed to know about that.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

On the other hand, "dirt-eating" has been a well-documented strategy among the poor (and often unbalanced) (and often female) denizens of the U.S. American south for a good ol' while.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh, wow... the stuff you learn on Google is a hoot. It turns out that the the tendency to inform people about the esoteric dietary habits of distressed populations is one of the symptoms of a rare genetic disorder!

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

The dirt-cookies bit was definitely a cool, sick bit of trivia, though. To heck (says I) with anyone who doesn't get the joke!

After all, it's all about making connections between one bit of knowledge and another, in the hope of finding the final solution, yes?

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Not as funny as you seem to think, bobsewell.

But, as sick as you do.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse

I prefer to think, "Sick is as sick does."

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

I know. The problem is that not everyone has a sense of irony, and encouraging his or her literal-mindedness is not only dangerous, but perilous.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'll concede that I do worry a bit about the fact that my idea of a good "final solution" (hint: We all live happily together) is at striking odds with some of the other ideas that I've heard floated about.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

There you go!

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

The Guardian on mud cakes:

New Georgia Encyclopedia:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 16, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

As a general rule, most accounts of geophagia should be treated cum grano salis.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

If eating dirt was that darned popular, there'd be a lot less farming going on, ya know?

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

To be clear: I'm well aware that desperate folks eat things (mud, crud, debris & dirt all included) that they know darned well are not nutritious. They don't like doing it, and they knowingly weaken and/or die if they do it for too long.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Clarity's always good on a Saturday morning, Bob.

*still-waking-up-from-an-unsettled-night's-sleep Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Sigh... I guess I din't need that much clarity. Sorry.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, there was all that mud, Bob. Had to clear it off to acheive clarity, no?

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

And a palate-cleanser, although Shriek, Yoki et al are probably already familiar with it:

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Another mild and dark day. Since the Canal has been opened for skating it's been above freezing. Lucky we didn't get lots of rain, it would be closed again.

Rex Murphy takes on Pat Robertson. Rex is the official curmudgeon of the Canadian Punditry. He often comes across as a pompous blowhard (see his "pietistic witling" below)
but I know from a shared flighth delay, long ago in Halifax, that he is a pleasant and funny conversationalist.

"...insolent, moron who presumes to speak in His name...Can a merciful Creator co-abide with the mental ejecta of Pat Robertson?...
The man is an obnoxious ignoramus, whose gruesome commentary in this case casts a shadow...on the office of the Presidency of the United States...the pietistic witling shamed that office by running for it...
Soap bubbles have more tact and certainly greater intellectual heft than Pat Robertson."

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 16, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

And for something to listen to this morning, try some Fugees:

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

It may be Hockey Night in Canada, but I prefer Tennis Night in America:

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all, hope everyone has a pleasant long weekend. Cassandra, are you warm and comfortable?

Mr. T's garage project is moving right along, the foundations have been poured. He's working out there this morning, cleaning up and getting stuff out of the way, with the goal of getting the driveway clean so we don't have mud when it rains tomorrow.

Later, friends!

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Scotty, I saw the story the other day but the video had not yet been released. Nice to see they stayed close to the orginal version.

Also saw the reports of perhaps 200,000 fatalities in Haiti, hoping that is not the case.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

This is off topic but fits with past discussions on the state of the newspaper industry. The Globe and Mails complaint choir - a song written about the demise of the newspaper industry. Quite good (lyrics are subtitled).

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Speaking of tennis, the Australian Open starts next week. Serena Williams and Roger Federer are #1 singles seeds. As a forewarning, I am something of a tennis junkie and am likely to follow it closely.

The Junior Brown links take me back to my high school days. One of my brothers taught himself guitar and loved complex fast-fingered music. Jack is right, it takes a lot of practice, as my ears can attest.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Tired of nibbling on bon bon terre in the bunker? Then chew on this cartoon from two-time Pulitzer winner David Horsey:

Wouldn't it be interesting to separate the real humanitarians here, from the faux? I'm certain there are real humaintarians here, just as I've little doubt that there are some faux ones. But each of us knows what he or she has done in the past and the present.

As for humanitarian words and thoughts, why we could check the Boodle archives. Maybe kbert, who loves to count posts here, can assist?

For example, we can see who made the earliest comments about the danger of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath? How about the number of posts by indivisual about the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia several years ago? Equally important the number of posts about the devastating earthquake in Pakistan, also several years ago.

Were any comments made in the Boodle in light of the fact that four major hurricanes bore down on Haiti in one month in 2008 and destroyed more than 60 percent of Haiti's harvest--in a nation that consists largely of subsistence farmers? (Very curious about this one--suspect zero.)

How about people who brought up the food insecurity of this nation around Christmas time? Or were blogging about the 6.7 earthquake just this month on California's north coast, when the extent of the damage wasn't yet known?

As for food in the bunker, which isn't a real, physical location. The high-fat, table-sagging treats that you offer on a near weekly basis are as real as bon bon terre. However, the bunker is a fantasy--the theater of the absurd. May I suggest the next time you bring your ham, your bacon, your sausages, your sweet breakfast drinks, your biscuits, your breakfast croissants, sweetbreads, and casseroles to the bunker, that you seriously consider shipping them to those nations where poverty is widespread, where families live in shanties, where there's not enough to go around to feed hungry families, where people may exist on but one meal a day--or dirt. Especially if they live on slip-strike zones.

And yes, MSJS, it's really important to look things up.

And wouldn't it be nice, too, if the Catholic Church, led by Mr. Ratzilla, an institution that for so long has opposed birth control, sold some of its treasure trove of gold to help the *numerous* Haitian victims?

Posted by: laloomis | January 16, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Haitian dirt cake article late last year and it haunted me. I made a larger-than-usual donation to Partners in Health during the holiday season because of it. I didn't decide to share it and burden others with that imagery. People are different, I guess.

Troll feeding:commenting as splurging on chocolate cake:dieting?

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Question: do trolls know the definition of "sweatbread?"

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

scc - sweetbread

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hi Wheezy, PiH are a great group. I am glad to have learned about them here. I edited a batch of papers and a med text based on Paul Epstein's work some years ago.

Epstein -- and Jonathan Patz -- are pioneers in the climate-human health field.

Both Epstein and Patz work with PiH.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 16, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Here's a neat Wikipedia article

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

For a little perspective on Robertson and his usual, widely shared lunacy.

Posted by: Boko999 | January 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This is also good:

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Loomis. Here's the thing. What we post or say here about world events isn't, in my opinion, the issue. Here in the boodle the criteria for being a humane individual is how we treat one another.

And while we all cross the line with one another sometimes your comments, in my opinion, are so consistently insulting and egregiously insensitive to the others who post here that you have generated a tremendous sense of overwhelming hostility. Perhaps in real life you are a wonderful kind and giving person, but within the confines of the boodle you are considered cruel, and no amount of arguing about who posted what when is going to overcome this.

You may choose, as you clearly do, to consider this fact irrelevant. But most of us here most certainly do not.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

And, um 10:13 degrades others on the basis of religion by somebody who has no clue what the Catholic church does in Haiti in terms of health care, food relief, etc.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends.

Slyness, I'm trying to get ready for Tuesday, and I know that is several days off, but I'm just kind of dreading it. I have an appointment with a specialist at Moore Hospital. Doctors around here don't usually send you there until they can't do anything, and can no longer pretend to do something. It's not very cold here this morning.

As for the pictures and stories coming out of Haiti, very appropriate word, JA,unmitgated. I can't speak to the folks that are calling for "blame" and "fault" because I have not read their utterings. I agree with Ivansmom that people look for someone to blame because it brings a certain amount of comfort to the unexplainable. But we have an answer: earthquake. I think that pretty much answers all questions. Anyone going beyond that is seeking fame and most assuredly out of their depth.

I've only watched a little of it on television because it is hard to see, and then go back to doing nothing stuff. My heart just aches for the people in Haiti. It's been one thing after another. In the picture above why do we have two people in riot gear, and all the people looking on?Is that suppose to soothe some fear? And the cross with Jesus on it seems odd too. I've never cared for pictures of divinity because we never get that right. All the scripture I've read does not give physical attributes for Christ.

When we look at Haiti, we can all do better as to how we treat each other. We can all work just a little harder to be good to one another. Haiti speaks to many objectives, but that (being good to one another)should be high on the list.

Have a great day, friends.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 16, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Bet she doesn't clap when Tinkerbell is dieing either.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DNA_Girl | January 16, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I've been Cassandraed. def-when a snarky comment gets written while Cassandra is posting in her typically wise and charitable manner.

Drats.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra,

Take care about Tuesday. You have my prayers.

You mentioned cross. This crucifix is a folk-art version from Haiti. Groups of people make and paint these, which are sold by a number of vendors including fair-trade groups. I have one that come from a Mennonite Christmas fair years ago. The gaunt and contorted figure is deeply moving.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

FYI.. the iTunes store is processing Red Cross donations now. Click on the Donate button and 100% of donation goes to American Red Cross (billed to your iTunes account by Apple).

Here's a link that will open your iTunes application (if you have it!) and go directly to the donation page...

Posted by: -TBG- | January 16, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I hope you have a good meeting with the doctor on Tuesday. You'll be in my prayers also.

I was glad to see in the morning paper that Bank of America has decided to waive all fees on credit card donations to relief groups working in Haiti. That is simply the morally correct action to take.

After I helped Mr. T move dirt off the driveway, I spent a little time cleaning up in the flowerbeds. It feels good to get rid of the dead plants. Last night we went to Lowe's and I bought flower and vegetable seeds. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll get my act together and start some of them. I've got all the stuff I need to do that.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Good luck on Tuesday Cassandra, healing mojo being sent in your direction.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Slyness: What sorts of flowers & vegetables?

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I hope Tuesday's visit goes well and brings positive news. *HUGSSSSSS* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Boodle thoughts turn to gardening. I haven't even allowed myself to look at seed catalogs as I hope to be spending lots of time in FL this growing season and have enough seeds left from seasons past to satisfy my need to mess about in dirt.

Slyness-do tell, what will you grow?

Cassandra-keeping a good thought.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Me too. Holding a vision of a vibrant Cassandra in my heart.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra... you are in my thoughts, too. Is there anything we can do to help? Please make sure to let us know what the doctor at the hospital tells you. We're worried about you.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I will be thinking about and praying for you also Cassandra.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Good thoughts to you Cassandra! 'tis no fun. No fun at all.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon everybody,good luck cassandra,i'm sure much boodle mojo will be traveling your way.And the same going out for everyone affected by Haiti's tragedy.

Well,tonight we have my current team the "RAVENS" playing my former team the "COLTS",again it should be an interesting game and on paper,the Colts should win.But thankfully the game isn't played on paper and i don't care how we win,if it is like last years game against the #1 titans,the colts can out gain us 3to1 just as long as we win the turnover battle and the game.

I think a simple game plan for us is run the ball,control the clock and win the turnover battle.If we do that we have a shot.

Peyton Manning is another great QB in the playoffs,some are saying he is the "Greatest QB ever".No matter what he ever does for the rest of his carreer,in my mind he will never even be the greatest colts QB. Johnny Unitas is my Greatest QB ever.He did so much more then the QB's these days,he played hurt,he ran the ball and he was such a class act.

I sure hope the RAVENS win today,having a team in the playoffs is a great thing for a city and a community.Everyone here in Baltimore is having a great time.It is so nice to see.

ok we can run,run and run some more,play good "D" and beyond all "PRAY" we win.

unfortunately i have to work at least till 9,but will enjoy the second half no matter what happens with friends.

GO RAVENS@!!!!!!

Purple with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 16, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Did Pat Robertson mean his comments to be taken literally or figuratively? They were strange, but historically incorrect.

The French slaves didn't make a pact with the Devil or D(Evil), if one believes in such silly, stupid nonsense as a Devil. The slaves who rose in rebellion against the French were aided by the Devil or Evil, if a tropical disease falls into that category. Take a guess: smallpox, malaria, cholera, none of the above, other.

Read "The American Plague" by Molly Crosby or "The Path Between the Seas," by David McCullough. I'm surprised that Bob Herbert glossed over that factoid in his writing about Haiti this morning at the NYT. I'm also surprised that he didn't mention that "Papa Doc" lived to 71 and died of natural causes.

Has anyone gone through the Achenblog archives yet, or the Kits (any Kits about the number of dead bodies in Indonesia?)for that matter, to see the amount of blogging and posts by given individuals about the other natural disasters off our shores that have occurred in the last handful of years?

If you want to read something about Haiti and weep, then I suggest this:

Posted by: laloomis | January 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

dmd already posted this humorous look at Robertson's inaccurate history, but it's worth a second mention...

Posted by: -TBG- | January 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks folks for the good thoughts and the best send off for Tuesday. If I can get relief from the pain, then it's all good. Being in constant pain makes one not good company for self or anyone else for that matter. You're a hardy group though, and I thank you much, always with love.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

A few of today's comments made me curious, so I went back and checked Loomis's post from this morning. She appeared to suggest that the depth of one's humanitarian nature could be gauged by whether one posts first, or often, about a particular subject. I find this deeply amusing for a couple of reasons. First, of course, it completely misunderstands what a humanitarian response is. Second, if in fact first and frequent posting were a measure of humanitarian understanding, it still wouldn't matter if nobody read the posts. This is a real change from Loomis's previous tone. If she's always this funny I'll have to start reading her comments again.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

*faxing even more warm and loving karma to Cassandra for Tuesday*

Ivansmom -- agreed.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Ivansmom.

I'm still reeling from reading that the bunker isn't a real, physical location.

Next thing someone will be telling me there's no Santa Claus.

Cassandra, all good things. You're in my thoughts.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, btw, imaginary dinner at my place tonight.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

No Santa Claus!!!

We are currently experiecing that discovery here in the house middle child has in the last week realized I am the Tooth Fairy, Santa and the Easter bunny. This has led to some funny conversations including the one where she repeatedly asked me to "be honest" before posing the "are you Santa" question.

Supper sounds lovely dgG, what can I bring?

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

So drinks in the bunker before we head over to dbG's?

I was just experimenting with a spicy Asian-inspired shrimp filling wrapped in swiss chard leaves. It is really good! I'll bring a platter for hors d'oeuvres, OK?

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I know, dbG. That was quite a revelation to me, too. I'm still reeling from the implications. I...I just had no idea...

This changes everything.

I've have been chastised often enough about the real food I eat, but I don't think anyone has ever criticized my fantasy cuisine before today. I suppose I should go on a fantasy diet, maybe try to find a local chapter of Fantasy Weightwatchers, try to shed a few fantasy pounds. I just hate to think what all that rich food has done to my fantasy cholesterol. Why, I'll bet my fantasy arteries are choked with plaque e'en as we speak.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 16, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah 'Mudge, you can't possibly forget the need to fight off fantasy scurvy, now can ya?

I don't think I have any myself at the moment, mind you, but I do SO not feel right... *SIGH* You know something's awry when I take a nap.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

*Snort*

Why doesn't everyone bring the specialty of their house? Yoki, absolutely!

I was thinking I'd make Cincinnati Chili in honor of Error.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

BOO: The *snort* was for mudge. Scotty, hope you feel better.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Loomis, rather than my trying to defuse my reactions with silly jokes about Texas or changing the subject or a misunderstood but snarky and unclear link to a brain damage explanation, I wanted to say you sure come across poorly. Charitably, you see yourself as a devil's advocate or contrarian, pricking us with your offbeat point of view. The thing is, if that is the case, it fails. It's done poorly and with a profound lack of respect for others' level of intelligence. I have often thought. The audience here is well read.

The extent of you has made me think you have some sort of variant of social-cue blindness, to the extent I have sometimes felt awkwardly sorry for you.

Or perhaps unlike many people, you do not fight or attempt to reroute or subvert ignoble tendencies in yourself.

Occasionally you have provided links to good reading matter for which I am grateful but somewhat grudgingly because of your persona.

Work on it. I see signs of people here constantly "working on it" and I try too. I hope I am making progress. That is all.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Can you help me get this straight? Someone is harassing a group of people she has never met about their creating an imaginary place and stocking it with imaginary food?

And then advising them to send that imaginary food to the hungry of the world? Isn't that sort of mean?

Posted by: nellie4 | January 16, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like laloomis won't be interested in my recipe for gryphon tikka.

But there is a valid concern about the perils of stress induced culinary activity. You should all read "Gout in the Dark Ages" by Percival Simmons. Or "Mental Obesity " by Phoncible Smith for treatments of this serious issue. Someone should go through old kits and correlate body mass, self image and recipe exchange. I'm certain there will be a number of eating disorders revealed in the community, real and imagined.

Posted by: qgaliana | January 16, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy she's brought that to our attention.

I'll make sure I send imaginary toilet paper, doilies and Kincaids too.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The person writing in the comments column of this blog on the 6.5 earthquake off the California coast in 9 January was ---
loomis.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

So much fantasy in MY life. I bought cleome, four o'clocks, moonflowers, foxglove, cosmos, green beans (bush), squash, and spinach. AND Lowe's had 100W compact florescents, 6 for $11.97 so I splurged on those.

I haven't grown cleome or foxgloves before, so this will be interesting. When I plant cosmos seed, the earwigs eat them as they sprout, so I'm going to try starting them indoors to get them a reasonable size before I try to put them out.

Always have trouble with squash borers too, I have to remember to protect the vines.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the last comment I made now strikes me as over some imaginary line.

I was trying to show we have provisioned the bunker with many things, not just food. Like Nellie, I wonder what part of the word *imaginary* is not understood.

Were it possible to send everything that the people of Haiti need, I would. Money is the best I can do, but it's better than lal's suggestion of imaginary food.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Cassandra,
I hope all goes well with your doctor visit.

rd and Ivansmom,
You both have invoked a lot of truth. I have spent a lot of time backboodling recently. It's very illuminating to read very old posts. I enjoy the spirited discussion and interesting tales from those old posts.

No imaginary dinner for me, I have to save my appetite. We have the last of our DC Restaurant Week reservations at Bezu which specializes in French-Asian cuisine. One of the items on their regular menu is a variation of banh xeo, a Vietnamese crepe stuffed with bean sprouts and shrimp. Anthony Bourdain had one for breakfast on his Vietnam episode last season. I'll get some leftovers and put them in the bunker fridge.

I posted reviews of other places we had gone earlier this week here:

While it easy to feel guilt over enjoying such fine food when many in the world struggle just to subsist, in the US, the food services industry is one the most open to workers from Central America and the Caribbean. In Florida many of the hotel maids and other back-of-house workers are Haitian and they remit a great deal of money back to their families. The couple of bucks I leave on the dresser to supplement the poor wages of hospitality industry workers mean nothing to me, but might be keeping a child from starving in another country.

We are a large interconnected world and even our most casual gesture has ripples across the globe.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

qgaliana, I am one of the heaviest (hee hee) contributors of recipes here. I cook from scratch (that is, Pollan's "food") every day. My BMI is 22 and I think I'm drop dead gorgeous.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You are drop dead gorgeous Yoki, not to mention an awesome cook.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

She is, qgaliana. Almost all the boodle wimmin are. And you should see bc in his gladiator outfit. O.M.G.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

For some reason we had an oversupply of ripe bananas at CasaJS. I would have shipped them to a needy location but you can just imagine what they'd smell like by the time they got there.

No, I made banana muffins instead. Just in case anyone crashes in the bunker for the night and wants a bite of breakfast. And yes, if you want one whilst watching football later today, that's totally permissible.

Yoki, I look forward to trying the shrimp. And an I-dinner at dbG's! Thanks to you both.

I'm off to fantasize myself exercising before the festivities. And Mudge, as far as I can tell, your fantasy arteries are just fine.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

And my friends are very sweet.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

dbG are there going to be cookies (your cookies) at your dinner?
Yes!! then the heck with the game as your cookies were the best ever.....yummy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 16, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Slyness,
Cleome easy peasy. You can direct sow.

Foxglove -- very hard. DO NOT COVER THE SEED. THey need light to germinate. Try to water the seed flat from below, as fungus is a problem too. Still, happy happy good luck with this.

You could make a bed outdoors and sow there, hoping to be surprised.

At any rate, foxglove, even Foxy, is a biennial. No flower action for two seasons.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 16, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Off to a swim meet soon. I will be head timer, which means I try to project my alto voice of authority, ahem,

"TIMERS, CLEAR your Watches."

I have a voice that is higher and softer than all the kids, still I shall try to PROJECT.UMPIRE-like.MAGNITUDE.

Thanks for the lessons,Mudge. You should hear him say

batter UP
STREE-yike
Baaww ONE....etc. Masterful. Fair.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 16, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Of course you're drop dead gorgeous, my dear Yoki! And I *still* want to eat at your house (and Jacques Pépin's house, too). But, alas, I made the awful mistake of getting on my scale yesterday morning for the first time in many a year. So, after a "new year's" brunch with a friend (my treat, my holiday present) at a little French bistro in upper NW DC, that's it! What I mean to say is:

*THAT'S IT*

Something very light tonight, chased by some herbal tea. Tomorrow's big-meal-in-the-middle-of-the-day shall be maybe a 3-oz (or so) filet of Sockeye salmon from the freezer (from the 2008 run -- I'm still eating those before I dig into the 2009 run, and they're still good) and a buncha veggies. Nuking food keeps in all the vitamins and minerals and one can cook without fat. For dinner, something light.

Would that I could lose the weight. Kinda hard, as this one cannot do a lot of cardio until the knee and back are fixed. Ah, well. One does what one can.

As for the imaginary bunker (*gasp*), and the accompanying oh-so-infantilizing admonitions directed thereto and its inhabitants, I would suggest that she's absolutely not going to change her way of acting (here or anywhere else) as long as someone engages her and thereby pays attention to her. This appears to be the only way she knows how to behave, and it gives her enough rewards for her to continue doing it.

So, don't engage. Ignore her. Completely. She wants the attention and by pissing everyone off, she gets it. I mean, it's not as if any of us actually need her viewpoint in our lives or in the Boodle. She's there, we're here. If all she wants to do is throw sand, we'll merely move to another playground, imaginary or not. After all, that's what Mudge and I did way back in the 7th century. There was a simply awful bloke who misbehaved, even though we tried to be nice to him and tried to accommodate his idiosyncrasies. Finally (as Mudge might recall) I said: "Mudge! Let's load up the burros and blow this town! Hurry up! I said, hurry up! You know what the freeway's like during rush hour!" And so off we went to a new town and new people who didn't make us upset or mad or anything. And the new people we met had tremendous imaginations and were very funny and sweet and kind.

Of course, the sport teams in the new town were nothing to write home about, but then we didn't know how to read very well anyway, so it didn't matter.

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Nothing more than you deserve, Yoki!

dmd, that sounds like a lot of imaginary helpers are walking out your door. :-)

MsJS, welcome to Philadelphia.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Slyness-- sprinkle a teeny bit of diatomaceous earth in your seed beds. Do not inhale. Buy the food grade version. This will help with the crawlies and slug-ugly wigglies. Do not use much; do not plan to dig it into the bed. Can irritate and bother earthworms. Surface dressing during sprout-time might foil the hedwigs....my mixed up files of MrS.FrazzleBDankpiler name for them.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | January 16, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I know, ftb. Getting out of Pompei when we did was the smartest idea you ever had. Although I gotta say "I told you so" that it wasn't just some mulch fire up on top of that mountain, right?

Meanwhile, in the real world, we're having neighbors over for his birthday dinner. I'm roasting a 3.5-lb. pork loin out on the grill (first outdoor grilling of 2010!!) which I'm gonna finish with a cherry glaze. My wife's roasting a three-potato dish in the ovemn, substittuting leeks for one of the potato species. Then she's making some steamed squash. His birthday desert will be low-fat brownie topped with a dollop of low-fat vanilla ice cream and a single low-fat candle. ("Dollop" is such a nice word. We need more dollops in this world.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 16, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

That sounds delicious, 'mudge. I just love leeks and potatoes.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, CqP, I actually already have some diatomaceous earth! Bought it to deal with slugs, but they aren't nearly as much of a problem as the earwigs. I will remember this thought, thank you! And thanks for the advice about foxglove. 'Sokay if they don't do, it's fun to try.

I'm wondering if I should mix some morning glories in with the moonflowers for the half barrel. Hmm, will think on this, although it's really against my religion to plant morning glories. If I had a nickel for every one I'll pulled in my life, I could singlehandedly pay for all the relief ever needed in Haiti.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Excellent - good to to hear everyone is smokin'. Now updating mental images.

PS I was hoping someone else was going to collate those stats :-O

PPS If we're moving on to gardening I'll have to relurk for a while. My garden is where even virtual plants go to die. Except for the mint. I think that will outlive the asphalt path that is the only thing containing it.

Posted by: qgaliana | January 16, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge -- did you know that "dollops" spelled backwards is "spollod"? Meaning, I suppose, that there are far too many spollods in the world, eh?

Your dinner tonight sounds delish.

And, yeah, way back in *that* day, I still had knees that worked, so our hustling ourselves outta Pompei was far, far easier than it would be now.

Looking forward to the next adventure.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I get the linkage between recipes and eating disorders. But I will attest that Yoki is svelte and lovely.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

You know what is sad? I only have a fantasy garden, and still I manage to kill all the plants!

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

My eating disorder is that I like to eat. I don't share many recipes because I get most of mine out of cookbooks or from magazines or off the back of macaroni and cheese boxes.

We have one family recipe and that is my late grandmother's marshmallow pudding. Someday I'll share. If I can find where it is kept.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

You gotta work on your imagination, then, Yoki. Start with mint, qgaliana is right, nobody can kill that. And then get some violets, you'll be overrun.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Violets deserve to be declared a noxious weed.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

It makes me very happy that we're getting toward the season for fatuous gardening posts. Right up there with recipes and shallow word play, in my boo,

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

No real garden here either, qgaliana. Don't matter none. There will still be lots of other topics where your written presence will be a welcome addition.

yello: What's your favorite mac and cheese? It's one of the very few things MomJS could cook and is still one of my comfort foods.

dbG: Why thank you. I'm feeling very welcomed.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

But African violets are nice. Once the weather becomes more actually Spring-like, I might just take stuff out on the balcony and repot with fresh African violet soil. Give 'em a new lease on life.

As for me, well, . . . . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

MsJS, since I haven't really backboodled for a time, do tell --

Did you move to Philly or are you there only temporarily? After all DC is only about 3 hours or so away from Philly, so you could come down to a BPH sometime.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

We're grilling outdoors tonight too. A couple of small filets cut from the tenderloin we had for Christmas. Just baked potatoes and broccoli to go along. We walked today for the first time in ages. Gotta get into shape for some strenuous activity in the near future.

We are being driven mad by robo calls from candidates and non-stop political ads on TV. The mute button has never seen this much use.

Violets - the great thing about winter is that they are under the snow playing dead. The not so great thing is that they aren't really dead and they'll be back!

Posted by: badsneakers | January 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We're having drinks n' snacks. You know, pigs-in-a-blanket, potato skins, and those itty bitty pizza things.

We do this every once and a while to be radical.

I'm having Bloody Caesars to show I am Internationally Aware. But I'm using Texas Pete to show I hold no regional grudges.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

There's just no pleasing some people. There are, however, some very pleasing people.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I recommend Tabasco rather than Texas Pete. It's mellower, less vinegary tasting, and the aging in the barrel adds a complementary faint oak flavor to the clam juice.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 16, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I noticed in Boko's earlier link that, "Right or wrong, Haiti is considered the point of entry of Christianity into the New World because it is the place where Christopher Columbus built the first Spanish colony after landing on December 5th, 1492."

I haven't read up on this stuff for a while, but I suspect that the Latter Day Saints would express demurral. I think they have an older date and a closer-to-the-source spreader-of-the-Word when it comes to New World Christianity origins.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

ftb... MsJS is just visiting Philly virtually. We're having dinner at dbG's house tonight! I'm sure we can whip up the proper meal for you... come on over!

Posted by: -TBG- | January 16, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Does a low-fat candle burn more slowly?

It's amazing how a little dinner will help a guy feel better. Ibuprofen doesn't hurt either. :-)

And yes, we have a bevy of Boodle babes for sure. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

When #1son was a little kid, he brought me a clump of violets that he had dug up in the woods. I thought that was so sweet. I planted them in the flower bed. I battled those violets for years.

Posted by: Manon1 | January 16, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

i just got something from the "chef" for dinner......"chef boyardee".......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 16, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

The violets that bedevil me are a legacy from my mother, as are most of the plants in my garden. It is a white violet and so sweet when it blooms. The problem is that it is invasive in the extreme. I don't want to get ride of it completely, but I sure battle it all over the yard.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I read once that the Colonial Virginians ate violets in salads.
Tried some violet leaves once, no ill effects, but it ain't baby spinach or even lettuce. The flowers are probably a better bet (they used to be candied too).

If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Violet leaves simply taste leafy, no bite to them. This kind of salad recipe might be good, though.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Indeed, TBG. I tripped over my brain. What's a youngish senior citizen to do?

*trying to get over my embarrassment before joining you all for dinner*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 16, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Bloody Caesars! *What* a good idea. Too bad I don't have any vodka or Clamato.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Ahh... I was wondering about those Caesars. As it turns out, I have both vodka and Clamato.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. I think I'll suggest the Boy donate something on his own to Haiti; I know it will ease his mind in a way participating in the family donation might not.

Is it virtual dinner yet? I have an appetizer - baguette with home-made sorta chimmichurri sauce (parsley, garlic, oregano, olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper). I'm trying to use up some OJ, too, so you're all welcome to those things with OJ, tequila and triple sec.

What's a bloody Caesar? I keep picturing vodka with tomato juice and romaine, and an anchovy sticking out.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

What this boodle dinner needs is some beer. I have St. Paul's own Summit Brewing Co's winter sampler. The India Pale Ale goes very well with pasta.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Imom, vodka, tomato juice, clam juice (or a combo sold as "Clamato"), lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, tabasco. Created right here in Calgary in the 50s, and generally known only to Canadians.

There is a comic who did a bit that went "Who drinks a Bloody Mary and thinks to himself, 'hmmm, needs fish.'?!"

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I must admit the whole idea of Clamato is a little unusual hereabouts. It is possible to purchase it here, but the general questions seems to be why one would want to do that. I have no opinion, as I've never had it. I like pasta in clam sauce, and clam chowdah (no tomatoes, sorry). Does that count?

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

It is a bizarre idea, for idea. However, quite tasty in practice.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"I'm the train they call
The City of New Orleans"

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 16, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

C'mon over!

The game's on TV, buffet set up on the kitchen island, den and living room, chairs at the table. The huge copper kettle (my grandfather used to bootleg) is full of ice, beer, wine. Mudge is making those cap things and there's iced tea on the stove.

Perhaps we can persuade Ivansmom to sing for us later.

You know, I'm grateful for the Boodle. How many other places do you make online friends that become physical friends? At last count, IRL, I believe at least 6 have actually been in my house and I've enjoyed spending time with dozens more.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 16, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

*Digging in the ice*

Ah, there's the prosecco! Such lovely glasses you have, dbG!

Of all things on sale at the grocery store this week, fresh cherries! I'll put them in a bowl on the buffet.

Hmmm. Prosecco or capriani, is it, Mudge? Decisions, decisions!

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

cool. a party. help yourself to some shrimp dip and some throw down nachos.

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

True, Jumper, Tabasco is the brand of choice. Alas, we are all out and I have a rather large bottle of Texas Pete I use for noodles.

The Clamato adds a little zing to the drink, although the effect is subtle. Rumor has it that clam juice is an aphrodisiac. But I have no evidence of this.

What a horrible week it has been. Let us think of the poor Haitians tonight and hope that the ongoing efforts can reduce the suffering. Remember, when it comes to natural disasters, none of us are immune.

Well, one of my mottos is that if you drink, don't boodle, so I shall lock up the machine now.

I mean. I *might* pour myself a second.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I-mom: I rather like your vision of what a Bloody Caesar might be. :-)

As a very young child, before I could read food labels, my grandmother used to serve me what she called tomato juice. I liked it, and asked my mother to get some when we got home. But my mother's tomato juice wasn't as good. This pissed her off a bit, as she thought tomato juice is tomato juice so shut up and drink what you asked for already. It turned out grandma served me Clamato, which was the kind of tomato juice she always drank.

Mmmm, great spread. Thanks to our gracious host and all the providers.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

*faxing some leftover roast pork loin w/ cherry glaze, which was very good, to ftb's dinner party. Also faxing half the brownies (low-fat because made with yogurt; you can get the brownie mix at Trader Joe's, my wife sez), plus the low-fat binella ice icream* *Sorry, potatoes all gone. Also two bottles of wine seem to have evaporated; one of them my favy Stone Mountain*

*wondering if I am expected to stay awake through the entirety of this second game, sans No-Doz or coffee. Cuz I don't thunk it's gunna happen. I blame that second bottle, quite frankalutely*

Hiya, Yoki. I din know the Bloody Clamato was vented in Calgatoon. I mean Saskatchagary. Albertie. British Carumba. One of those places. Up there. Cold. You know.

Yes, perhaps I need cup of Java, Or a cup of Brunei. Why should Java get all the credit?

My, look at the Raven person run. Oh, dear. Now he has to walk back.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 16, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Nice little virtual party y'all have going here.

Sorry RDP left before he got silly; that might have been quite entertaining.

Well. I sent my Haiti contribution to Partners in Health, and they sent me a link to their website that has updates about the situation: http://www.standwithhaiti.org/haiti

Meanwhile, back in my world, good news: I am going back to work on Tuesday. After so many months (since March!) of looking, applying, interviewing, resume-revising, etc., with no offers at all, this week I had two job offers on the same day. One was from the State Attorney General's office in Fort Lauderdale--I was told that they'd had 185 applicants for the position and had previously hired someone with a law degree--but it doesn't pay much and has no benefits. So I took the other offer, a position with the local Community Development Department, I won't specify which city it is but the job is located about 2 miles from my house. Pay similar to what I was making after 14 years at my previous job, and excellent benefits. I am extremely happy about it.

So: non-alcoholic sparkling grape juice all around--here's to life, and to hanging in there when there's little to encourage optimism. Of course I also remember that lots of people are still looking for employment, and I offer them encouragement: don't give up!

Posted by: kbertocci | January 16, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if I rest my eyes for a few minutes. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Just for 30 seconds.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 16, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Ravens tie it up.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

** breaking out the New Year's noise makers **

Congratulations, kbertocci! Way to go! And good luck! Hope you enjoy it lots.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

kb that is fantastic news about your new job!

L'Chaim indeed!

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Great news, kb! Sounds like a great job. Congrats on rejoining the working class.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

** nudging Mudge **
** or is that mudging Nudge? **

Your 30 seconds are up.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

jello shooters!

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

kb, thrilled for you - best of luck in the new position, they will be very lucky to have you.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

kb-so good to hear. Just from the little bit you wrote it sounds like a good fit.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | January 16, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Jack: What flavor ya got?

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Kber, congratulations. I had forgotten that you lost you job before I lost mine, glad you have found something good and so close to home. It does give me some small hope that I too will eventually be employed again.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 16, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

rocket fuel.

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Don't mind if I don't talk much this evening; I'm happy with the company of friends, a little playoff football and perhaps a little sustenance and beverage.

In light of this difficult week - and a challenging day - spending some time with friends sounds good.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 16, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Woo hoo, kbertocci! Doing a happy dance for you, and will raise a toast in a bit.

My good news is that I'm Boodling from home again, after a former co-worker helped me install a new hard drive to replace the one that the nasty virus trashed.

Posted by: seasea1 | January 16, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Restaurant report:

Bezu was great. Off the Restaurant Week menu I had the Thai shrimp and beef short rib with a napoleon for dessert. My wife decided to be high-maintenance and order ala carte. She had nori tuna and fuzu noodles. Her dessert was the highlight of the meal. The mango beignets were half mangoes fried in dough and then covered in sugar. My wife had three and I had one and there was one we still had to leave behind.

And the chef sent over an after dinner appertif. We asked the waiter what it was and the answer was gibberish to our martini and wine basted brains, but there were strong notes of lychee. If only I could afford to live in downtown Potomac I would be eating at the bar every night.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Yay, kb!! And clever of the boodle to plan a party for you even before hearing your news.

When I read Yoki's explanation of the Bloody Caesar, J asked what I was laughing at.

"It's the boodle. I'll tell you if you want."

"Nah, that's okay."

I'm sure it's hard being a boodle spouse and watching your companion chortle at the computer screen all day.

Posted by: -bia- | January 16, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

According to Facebook, my son is at Duke this weekend. He spends almost as much time there as he does at Tech. At least I'm not paying their tuition.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

seasea, oh, yeah, the virus. I had to pay big bucks and have my hard drive wiped clean. I'm afraid Boodlepop had to be sacrificed. So sad. My computer doctor said he had been seeing that bad, bad virus everywhere ("Spyware Protect 2009" -- if you see those words, unplug from the internet immediately!!)--even his computer had gotten it, and once he had spent three hours manually removing the infected files from a computer only to have it reinfect itself on startup.

Posted by: kbertocci | January 16, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I can buy Clamato quite easily around here.

I'm still working up the courage to do so.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 16, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Bia, I resemble that remark.

Hearty congratulations to kbertocci. That sounds like a great job. I speak from experience when I say that decent salary and benefits beat any salary and no benefits any day. Good for you.

Yellojkt, I'm living vicariously through you this week - a sentence I might think twice about typing some other week.

Smudge, rise n shine. Explain to RD how consumption of more than one adult Beveridge is exactly the time to Beadle.

Speaking of consumption, Ivansdad is keeping track of the game, in between gut-wrenching coughs. We told the Boy that we must root for Bawlmer because Indianapolis stole the Colts.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

We're watching the game as well, and I find it a bit surreal. I had to explain to my son that for some of us "Baltimore Colts" sounds way more normal than "Indianapolis Colts." It's like a time travel fantasy, but with fewer causal paradoxes and more penalty flags.

BTW, does anyone else use iGoogle? I just set up an iGoogle home page with the "Tea House" theme.

Soothing. Peaceful. And a cute little fox.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I live in iGoogle but use the default theme. My wife has a Georgia Tech banner on hers which makes me look a little bad, but I'm too lazy.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah, RD. kind of like the feeling when i hear baltimore ravens. makes me see brown. the irony is that both teams left their respective cities under the cover of the night. another commonality was the owner's resemblance to certain anatomical parts.

undercover...

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Fabulous news, Kber! I hope you will be very happy in the new position. They are indeed fortunate to have you.

Funny that you got two offers on the same day. It sounds to me like you didn't have a hard time making up your mind, though.

I'm still pissed about the Charlotte Hornets.

Posted by: slyness | January 16, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I use igoogle, would be lost without it, love how I can customize it any way I want and change thems to suit my mood. I have found however, that many theme have the type face in colour too pale for my eyes to see easily, the pictures I like pink fonts not so much :-). Never having to worry about finding a bookmark again is a good thing.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Modell was much more upfront about his demands than Irsay and left the team name, colors and record behind.

I still say we need a Premier League style two-tier system so that any city that wants a pro team can have one. Of course that system would never pass muster with Detroit.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

You can use the "Tea House" theme for gmail as well. And it changes during the day. I find it delightful. But I am easily amused.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

maybe so, yello, but the result was about the same. i would agree that Mr. Irsay is a few more rungs down the ladder from Mr. Modell. IMO, both only rate a few rungs from the bottom with respect to PR.

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

RD, if you only knew how much time I have wasted with my iGoogle page, lost for hours searching for gadgets/themes I want.

Beach scene is nice as well, or the bus stop, or spring all change during the day and sometimes with the weather.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 16, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

well done, kb. sounds like a good fit.

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I like the little hamster. He is my special friend.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 16, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I late for the party?

KBert, I am soooo happy about your job. Congratulations.

And I see Martooni stopped by. Sorry I missed him. Maybe he'll be back later.

Cassandra, I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.

Today I bought my girl a latch-hook kit at Michael's. She really took to it and is determined to have her flowers all populated with colorful yarn by next week. That's about the extent of gardening I do... Sad...

Posted by: abeac1 | January 16, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Satan tells Pat Robertson to quit making him look bad.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

kb -- have to add my congratulations to the others!

Posted by: nellie4 | January 16, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

just because this has an interesting bunch of people on stage:

Posted by: -jack- | January 16, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. Frank's, Texas Pete, Rooster sauce -- I'm in.

Sigh. Our very small swim team is now part of the Haiti sorrow. We had the perfect four guy/four gal team. Why? Relays, natch. This school's population is such that swim team is really learn to swim. No girl's relay, as we are down a gal. Why? Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

One young lady is Haitian. Her father and extended family in PaP are dead. Her aunt permitted her to sign up as an interpreter for the Red Cross; now in FLorida for training, she is off to Haiti soon. I am so sad about this. Yet. What bravery. She is 18 so of majority; but she is a wee, wee, bairn really.

She is a hero. And a bereaved daughter.

I told the team about the trustworthy texting option for them. Several did this immediately, doubling for those without cell phones. Crumpled dollars exchanged.

The world is small; may our hearts be large.

I speak of hot sauce and wish I had ranch beans; I think on Haiti. Truly, in the midst of life is death. Vice versa. We move forward because we must; each person gone is precious and unique; what they would give to simply move forward.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 16, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I think RD might have had that second adult beveredge with his leetle Hamster freend before be bootled that last time.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 16, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

KB -- huzzah and silly string. Fab news.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 16, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm teary, CqP. Thank you.

Posted by: -bia- | January 16, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

iGoogle is a black hole of time. I play LineUp when I'm on hold on the phone. I also like FloodIt. Both of those are from Lab Pixies. They have neat little games for the iPhone, too.

My mom and I just donated to the Red Cross with my iTunes account.

Posted by: abeac1 | January 16, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

A bit of Robert Irsay’s obit from www.canoe.ca:

“Irsay was born in Chicago and graduated from the University of Illinois. In 1952, he formed the Robert Irsay Company and made his fortune with the profitable heating, ventilating and air conditioning corporation. The company was sold in 1971 and he later formed Colt Construction and
Development Co.”

The reason I mention it is that the old Colt Construction and Development Co. headquarters is a block from CasaJS. Name's still on the side of the building.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So sorry, CqP. It is a small small world indeed.

I don't know if any of you follow The Pioneer Woman (I'm mildly addicted, but never post or read them, too many). She often does giveaways. This week she did two random $500 giveaways to Haiti-focused charities, plus a dime for every post. That amounted to $2585. Yep. Instead of dividing that among the top three named charities in the comments, she gave that amount to each of the top three. People are good, I swear.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 16, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, kbert, I am overjoyed for you!

I don't think we do any disservice to the Haitians when we have fun at our virtual dinner, which was fabulous.

Posted by: Yoki | January 16, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

kbert - congrats!

CpQ, sorry to hear of the young lady on the swim team, and impressed by her. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 16, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sure. Stover can make field goals for the Colts. Traitor.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

CqP,
That is both extremely tragic and quite inspirational.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

BC -- I will. AbeaC did already to Red Cross with her mom. Via Itunes. Wow.

The school will give her credit for the fall semester. Later, she will need to finish the spring semester and graduate. But J has entered the school of knocks so early.

Yoki -- thanks for the reminder. We are with them and also in our place of plenty. Life is not B/W but kaleidoscopic.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 16, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the moving story, CqP.

Yoki, I agree. Cheers, everyone.

Posted by: MsJS | January 16, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Good, I can quit watching football for the year.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 16, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Me too.

Posted by: Yoki | January 17, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

heh, heh, I never started watching football. Yay me!

Posted by: seasea1 | January 17, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Neither did I, seasea, and I think yello has made it clear that he's not a sports-watcher. So all three of us are funny!

Posted by: Yoki | January 17, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Los tres amigos.

(sound card working!)

Posted by: seasea1 | January 17, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Just that!

Posted by: Yoki | January 17, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. The g-girl and I are slowly but surely trying to get ready for church. She's still horizontal, but I'm moving, and in the direction of the bathtub.

Slyness, we have water and more water here. I think there has been enough rain to fill several swimming pools. I'm not complaining because the temps are very mild. Imagine all that water with freezing temps.*ouch*

I saw on the news where the little girl they rescued from the rubble has died. So much death and despair. A lot of prayers this morning.

Mudge, Yoki, Martooni, Scotty, Lindaloo, and all the good folks here, enjoy your long weekend, and give God some of your time.

Time to meet the suds.

Posted by: cmyth4u | January 17, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Some mellow Fairport Convention for a Sunday morning.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 17, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra!! *sudsy HUGSSSSSSSSSSS* :-)

Congrat Kbert!!! *Snoopy dances* :-)

CquaP, that's very brave and honorable of the young lady, efforts such as hers will be even more important than a SoS visit. *saluting*

Feeling better today, I hope everyone's Sunday is a wonderful one!

*trying-to-type-while-the-loud-cat-grooms-the-back-of-my-hand Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey, let's take up a collection!!

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 17, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

jkt--

Loved it (as always) ... here is a good Sunday song for you:

Posted by: russianthistle | January 17, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

New kit coming soon...

Posted by: joelache | January 17, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

No Nellie. I can't blame my fondness for small fuzzy hamsters on demon rum. The roots of that fascination go way, way back.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 17, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

RD and Nellie -- Here is a hamster palace hacked out of Ikea furniture:

Thank you for your kind response to my Haiti story. Caribbean immigrants have a tradition of packing shipping containers with all sorts of goods; such drives will be underway over the next weeks and months. Months and years is the time frame here. A huge one is underway at Howard, with blankets and diapers a priority. Drop off locations to be announced. I will post when I know more, for the DC area boodlers.

Mudged? Here I go anyway. CLICK.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 17, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Just in case you haven't notice, major new Kit...

:-)