Jim Zorn's valedictory game

I'll watch the final Skins game of the season today. Mostly it's an excuse to cook. Football on TV is a delivery mechanism for other things (beer, for most people, I've noticed). A Skins game is a cross-cultural hearth in a town like Washington. But gosh, it's hard to maintain that when the team is not simply bad but extremely embarrassing and simply no fun at all to watch. They really ought to put these games on an adults-only channel, lest impressionable youngsters come across them at a too-tender age.

I'll watch today in part because it's the final game in the difficult tenure of Jim Zorn. I feel conflicted about him: On the one hand, there's never been any reason to think that he's going to be the next Vince Lombardi. Or even, I hate to say it, the next Norv Turner [for non-footy-fans, Norv has had a solid but unspectacular career, including many relatively mediocre seasons coaching the Skins; he now coaches today's opponent, the Chargers]. Zorn hadn't ever been a head coach before he came to the Skins, and indeed, had been a fairly low-level assistant in his previous job: quarterbacks coach of the Seahawks. Why he got plucked to be the top guy for the Skins is a mystery for the ages. One would have predicted, back then, that he would not be successful. And he has not been successful.

But.

But I really like the guy. He has had a tremendously positive attitude amid all the crapola. He's suffered indignities with dignity.

From today's Post story on Zorn's last game, one passage jumps out:

Somewhere in there, though, is how all this has affected Zorn's career. He is 56, not an up-and-comer, but a career assistant -- his previous job was as quarterbacks coach with the Seahawks -- who unexpectedly got his shot to be a head coach, and now must revive his career after disappointment and strife.

Yeah, but he's a young 56. He's got another act or two before he's just watching football on TV on Sunday and making chili like the rest of us. Despite all that's gone wrong, Zorn has acquitted himself as a human being quite well. That counts for a lot on the scoreboard of life.

By Joel Achenbach  |  January 3, 2010; 10:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas, Deborah Howell, etc.
Next: I hate those supernovae

Comments

First?

In re: cold parts of the house, I don't know why I bother putting soda cans in the fridge, since they're otherwise on the floor against the rear outside wall. They probably drop the temps inside the fridge when I transfer them... *L*

And I wonder when JA will be assigned to write this one up for the Post:

Totally tubular, dude!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The thing about Zorn is that he really is a nice guy. Or at least this is how the press has consistently represented him.

I remember back in 1979, when he was the quarterback for the struggling Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks were a new team then, and all that made them bearable was watching Jim Zorn throw to Steve Largent.

Zorn and a few other Seahawks visited our high school for an inspirational rally. Although there was a strong Christan undertone (Zorn's religious outlook might, I suspect, have endeared him a bit to Gibbs), the overarching theme was keeping things In Perspective.

Zorn talked honestly about how fun it was to play football, and to have money, fans, and his special customized Datsun 280Z "The Z-Hawk."

But he also spoke eloquently of how things like self-respect and integrity were what really lasted. Those words made an impression on me as a teenager, and are part of why I was so delighted when Zorn became coach of the Redskins.

So I am saddened that his tenure with the 'skins has not been successful on the field. But I have no doubt that Jim Zorn will keep it all In Perspective.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I have no son named Redskins...

And again with the cold -- I finally decided to break out my long-sleeved nightshirt, and started to shake it out. Luckily, I remembered in time that I'd been using it as a pincushion for shirtpins before I scattered them all over the bedroom! :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I take hearty umbrage: we're not all making chili. I'm actually brining a 13-lb. turkey breast, and will cook it later today. (Also under discussion was stew, and today is certainly a stewy day, but we decided to wait because the crock pot is full of ham-and-bean soup my wife made [and very good it is, too] from the leftover Christmas ham.) Since we didn't have turket at Xmas or New Years, we haven't had any since Thanksgiving. So one must concede the turkey is overdue.

Zorn. Yes. Well. Very sad. It has lots of elements of Greek tragedy, an average man thrust into a situation way over his head and subjected to many indignities by malevolent gods (Cerrota and Snyder). Of course, this deoarts the Greek scenario because he can walk away with his head up and a couple million shemolians, and nobody's gonna poke his eyes out or eat his liver.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not too sure about the last part there, 'Mudge -- plenty of still-rabid 'Skins fans hereabouts.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Point taken, Scotty. But I'd rather poke out Snyder's eyes than Zorn's. I think people are way madder at Snyder than Z.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I actually remember seeing this interview on television. Classic Zorn.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, 'Mudge, but then again you and I are rational folks, hm?

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

An article that has made me weak in the knees. Canuckis take note: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123101313.html?hpid=features1&hpv=national

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Paging FTB

Minimalist wardrobe advice from colleague who is an American studies prof and textile expert. She writes on gender and clothing in the academic world.

So, to recap and expand:

Pick a neutral for your five or so easy pieces:
Neutrals -- black, grey, tan (navy and brown are tempting but more on that in another post when I am not so wiped out from flu)
Pieces: 1) slacks of moderate leg width 2) black classic blouse with lycra in the weave 3) lightweight jacket of soft suiting type 4) black skirt of moderate width (A line or pencil with kick pleat 5) v-neck or cardigan sweater

Add secondary pieces, particularly t-shirts and blouse to give you color and variety. Most of us are happiest with a go-to color or shade that flatters. Options for FTP -- I think you can wear jewel tones: 1) red with bluish undertones (not tomato red) so think garnet/ruby 2) sapphire 3) emerald. About yellow? A deep gold or topaz, but take a friend with you on this. The jewel neckline or v-neck is suprisingly flattering as opposed to the higher crew neck.

I think ANYBODY can wear black -- however, select a blouse or tee in a softer color against your neck or cheek. Scarves work also to soften the black on white skin. FTP -- you can wear black, but since you are of the vintage of fine wine, your skin is more fragile. So, place some color there, to break the black line against the skin.

Look at some of the travel lines -- microfiber fabric wears and washes beautifully. DO not oversize in this fluid style. You do not want to look like parachute silked butterfly.

Air clothing out; use Febreze. wash the blouses and tees, expecting to replace them as they wear (tees become summer tops)....use a dry cleaner for the slacks and jacket -- keeps them shaped and alive. My two basics are more than 20 years old.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

FTP

See the wearever line here:

Soft pieces that launder beautifully. You have the forgiveness of knits (my mother's patendable midlife lady phase phrase) but a nice professional silhouette.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You know, I rather like Jim Zorn. There is an air of dignity and class about him. I, too, fault the existence (yep, down to the concrete and from wallboard to wallboard) of Snyder and how he has made a complete mess of this team.

So, all I have to say is "GO LIONS!"

Oops, I tripped. "GO REDSKINS!"

There was just a lovely gift handed to me over my electronic transom -- a family portrait of my massage therapist, her husband (a handyman who put in my gorgeous kitchen) and their lovely harlequin Great Dane -- as big as a Shetland Pony, and with the palest blue eyes and, of course, natural eye liner. I remember her when they brought her home -- the only time when she really was a lap dog. I think she's going on 5 years old, which means she's getting to be a senior citizen. It's such a shame that the larger the dog, the shorter the life span. And, unfortunately, she never smiles for pictures. Golden Retrievers and Labs tend to be overly smiley dogs. Great Danes, not so much. But she's simply gorgeous (and, *ahem*, knows it).

Good Grief! It's noon! Where has the day gone????

Toodley Boodley for now. Keep warm!!!!

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, CQP, you *are* a treasure!

Now, all I gotta do is come up with the $$$$ to pay for this wardrobe.

And, you're right. I look much, much better in blue-based red than red-red (and definitely orangey-red -- which looks horrible on me). Blue is also a good color for me (sapphire blue particularly), as both of those colors (red and blue) look good with my silver hair and don't wash me out.

When we get together for b'fast (perhaps end of month?), we can dish about all of this.

Thanks ever so for the links -- gonna go bookmark them.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

FTB see TravelSmith too, the tummy control and the godette style are quite nice. Not saying you need the t.c. but these are comfortable and nice looking.

I imagine you have some lovely scarves or textiles from your Africa connection. These would be lovely as accessories. Jewelry? I know you are sleek and unadorned but let your accessories tell part of your story of travels and long friendships.

And, perhaps indulge in a Marimekko scarf or tote (Finnish-swedish mashup, even if they claim Finn-solo-purity)

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has put up with a lot. I think no matter what he does next, he's heading somewhere better.

Mudge, good daydream, but with today's winds and fah-reezing temps I'd much rather head to a place where the drinks need paper umbrellas to keep the ice from melting too fast.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the Zorn kit, Mr. A.

Here in TWC da 6-9 Bears are barely more functional than the 'Skins. The Chicago Tribune website’s homepage (http://www.chicagotribune.com/ ) has a whole section devoted to whether head coach Lovie Smith should stay or go.

In da Bears’ case, I don’t think it’ll make that much difference, as home game always sell out and there’s little incentive for the owners to be serious about paying for top-notch coaching talent.

As for Mr. Smith himself, he has always seemed a tad uncomfortable here, like many of his predecessors. Perhaps his talents are better matched with another team, like Turner at San Diego, or in the college ranks, like Dave Wannstadt at the University of Pittsburgh.

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I have actually gotten a few things from Travel Smith. And, I've been in the Marimekko shop in Helsinki (not cheap but nice and amusing stuff).

I hope you're feeling better and that someone else is catering to your needs. I am now faxing you some Orange-Ginger-Mint herbal tea. Lace it however you like.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Good, ftB, happy to do this. Give me a few more days and we will pick a date.

Here is the deal on brown and navy --hard to match, and this is always a surprise. However, I think brown is more forgiving than navy. But the trick is to embrace the tonal shades. In other words, do not try to be matchy-matchy. The use of scarves and accessories can help break up the expectation of brown is brown and all browns are the same. Turquoise is pretty with brown... pink, too, but be careful as you can look like either the Baskin Robbins or Dunkin Donuts peeps.

Navy and cream are very pretty together. Better than Navy and white, in many cases.

A cherry-red nordic sweater with silver hammered buttons would be nice too.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, I agree with you completely about the climatological part of that piece, LiT. I dislike cold weather, too, and would much rather be someplace warm. But I luvluvluvluv ice wines. Oh, mercy, mercy.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Zorn,I really do,he got into this job in a most awkward way and then had to make it work with coaches not of his choice.Plus he has to work with the worst owner in the league,although i guess that is not entirely true. I like the Titans owner who flipped the bird,both birds to the Bills owner earlier this year.

I really like the Ravens owner,Steve Biscotti,who seems to really like all Maryland sports.I wish he and Cal Ripken could buy the O's.

Today the ravens travel to the black hole to play the Raiders(now there is another owner who is out there too).A simple equation win and your in,lose and watch the playoffs from home.Unfortunately i have to work today,so i will have to watch the game at work,but their TV is much bigger and better then mine.Hopefully we will be playing next week.

GO RAVENS!!!

Oh,and a Happy belated birthday RD-P!!!

Purple with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The Deb Howell obit and the Post Mortem column are both worth reading. Dana Priest has some great comments about her in the Post Mortem item. The links are on the home page.

I read this item on today's Writer's Almanac. Today is 1899 in a New York Times editorial appears the first known appearance in the U.S. of the word automobile. The editorial ends with a hoot this way: "There is something uncanny about these new-fangled vehicles. They are all unutterably ugly and never a one of them has been provided with a good, or even an endurable, name. The French, who are usually orthodox in their etymology if in nothing else, have evolved 'automobile,' which, being half Greek and half Latin, is so near to indecent that we print it with hesitation."

Posted by: -pj- | January 3, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Think back to how Jim Zorn might have viewed the job offer of head coach, when he'd barely started as a fresh new-minted offensive coordinator. He might well have reasoned, "How could I possibly work under the kind of stooge that these numbskulls would undoubtedly hire... unless I take a deep breath and suck it up and accept the job myself?" I mean, coming to the Redskins was probably *already* looking like a dodgy career move.

Posted by: woofin | January 3, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

FTB -- Classic poppy in red scarf -- 26 clams

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Not that I think that's really the most likely scenario -- it must have been immensely flattering to be asked, and terribly hard to refuse. But Zorn is a smart guy. Having been offered a job that was a considerable jump in the normal career cycle must have made him wonder on some level about the basic soundness of the organization.

Posted by: woofin | January 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Snuke, thanks for the article reference. I still think that they were looking at a speck on the camera lens and not a lava pipe.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 3, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

cQp, I love reading your posts, but I don't have a clue about that of which you write. It just sounds good.

You could take some Dr. Scholl's Orthotic inserts and make them into a fashion statement.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 3, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Very nice writer's almanac pickup, pj.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Zorn sure has class. He had the right to blow his top when Bingo Man was brought in to call the play yet didn't.

What's on TV? Loser Bowl: da Bears vs the Kittycats. Blah.

Time to do the beef&barley soup, a winter classic.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 3, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Only have time for a drive-by:

Zorn was not a success here, unfotunately.

Still -- anyone remember how bad the Cleveland Browns were under some guy named Bill Belichick?

Not saying that Zorn may have that kind of a future, but who knows?

He might be the next Urban Meyer, for example...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke,
Achenbach definitely needs to report on lava tubes as shelters for lunar astronauts. There should be some nice ones on the Big Island of Hawai'i, where he could also write on telescopes and the National Wildlife Refuge that protects a forest full of native birds.

Short of that, the Modoc Lava Beds in northernmost California would do. The area is of historic importance because the lava beds sheltered local residents, to a degree, from invading aliens of the American sort.

Modoc could be followed by doing a review of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival's stage version of Kurosawa's samurai movie version of Macbeth, "Throne of Blood". If it works, could a musical be in the future? Or a Tim Burton remake of the movie with Johnny Depp as Macbeth/Toshiro Mifune? Maybe a remake with Scots and samurai intermingled? Maybe Nukes, too, in 3D?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | January 3, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I can't work up any sympathy for the Washington [Etnic Slurs]. It's called karma. And the whole notion of loyalty to a random collection of mercenary athletes based on geographic proximity to their often tax-payer funded venue is fairly ridiculous.

Perhaps we should select our favorite teams based on moral clarity, charitable causes, public policy positions, intellectual rigor, and contribution to society.

Nah.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I like the automobile thing too pj.

The hominy is finished and part made into posole (or pozole) which turned out delicious. The funny part is that I made way too much. A half gallon of dry corn turned into about two gallons of hominy. It took longer than the internet suggests, an overnight soak, simmering, another long soak, then more simmering. I had to add water, it kept swelling to above the waterline.

The pozole itself has both bacon and some cubes of pork loin.

It's warming up here, at least relatively during the day. slyness, when you said the "full time residents of our street" at first I thought you meant some homeless people. But wait, that's more like my end of town.

The beautiful abandoned boxer is still here despite reports that someone had driven away with him. He's beautiful and showed up with ribs showing. Bailey and I have been feeding him because of the skinny ribs. She may adopt him.

Posted by: Jumper1 | January 3, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm very sad to read Jim Hoagland's last column today. He will be missed on the Post's op-ed page. I always liked reading him and Trudy Rudin in the Philadelphia Inquirer. They were columnists who focused on foreign affairs and still approached the job as reporters. I hope the Post can get someone who can do the same kind of thing. That way is so much more informed that the pontificators who write entirely too many op-ed pieces.

Posted by: -pj- | January 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

So sad.

Posted by: Yoki | January 3, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Got mudged. Reposting:

You never know it's possible to sweat at
-32 F until you do it.

It was a long morning involving scraping frost off the inside of my windshield, backing up into a pile of snow, and having to shimmy in and out of my truck a few times to shovel the snow around the tires, and finally getting help to back the truck out while I signalled as to the tires.

That was just getting out of the driveway. All else went well after that, including plenty cuppas of hot tea in Canada.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

WOW, Hoagland is out?

Pretty soon, the Post will be down to lots of pictures of celebs and a few AP stories and the Achenblog.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmm, beef and barley soup sounds wonderful. Must make that next weekend when the playoffs start.

Posted by: -pj- | January 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

rT -- I like my name as cQp -- makes into a sort of Judi Dench Bondian Q character only I do

Costumes = c
Q = qua, natch
p = possible, in as in the art of

I like sports writing for the same reason....seldom understand all points but love the writing.

I believe we can all look better than we often do: neat, stylish within our expressive preferences, and happier. Yes. Happier. And, clothing carries rhetorical power and hints at character.

TIP! (free and unbidden but so easy) for men. One thing that is so nice; polished shoes. Old and worn but polished = fine! I helped my NavySEaL brother with the classic leather dress blacks rather than the core-form dress issues now. He looked down at them, saying in gratitude, "Now, that is a shine; I am squared away."

You can keep KiWi neutral around. However, don't polish your Converse All Stars; washing will do!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

KiWi neutral is wonderful wax. I use it for boxes. And, on rare occasions, I have been known to put it on shoes.

Just finished watching William and Mary Women's Basketball team win. It's fun to have a college team to cheer for. I never have before, really. I mean, my graduate school had teams, but the emotional involvement was far less.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CqP.

I struggle with my budget, build, and overall loathing of drycleaning, ironing, etc.

I wear slacks out very rapidly, as I move a lot in unexpected ways.

Jackets and coats last much longer but they need drycleaning more than once a year, I believe, despite what my mom says.

I just dropped a lot of money (by my standards) on a new winter jacket, boots, etc. They had better last me over a year.

As for navy and brown: I agree; they must never duel over which is darker.

Any shoe advice for women who must walk a lot in whatever they wear-- comfortably and drily?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 3, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

That was an excellent explanation of basic garb, CqP, thanks. For ftb, you might also look at Coldwater Creek. They have a lot of good basics within those guidelines, good microfiber travel stuff which lasts quite a while, and inexpensive tees to layer. They also have good online sales. I'm not fond of shopping and often that store or site is my first and last stop.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to clothes, I'm more of a
Garanimals kind of guy...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 3, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

cQp, would you mind taking a ride out this way to tutor #1 on clothing. I'm too close to the situation to be effective with her (her feelings get hurt really really easy). ;-)

Scotty, just saw that Bud lite paintball ad, you are right, we laughed out loud. Gee the Giants are getting killed (not that I care). I think it has finally stopped snowing here. Probably about 6 or 7 inches in all, with some small drifts. We're getting our money's worth out of the snow blower this winter.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 3, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Ha, Jumper! No homeless folks on the street when it's zero degrees F! My point, of course, is that these folks live there full-time. The other houses on the street are second homes, like ours, or rented.

So nice to be down the mountain, Mr. T and I both had to go to get the vehicles washed. Now, to get the Christmas tree down. I am looking forward to a normal, regular week.

Posted by: slyness | January 3, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

May I just say the Giants stayed home today? They just found some lookalikes to wear the unis in Frosti-land.

And here's very sincerely hoping Miami's Pat White (WV grad) is not seriously injured after a huge hit while running the ball againts Pittsburg.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Another tip for badsneakers: I sometimes catch TLC's "What NOT to wear" in case they have anybody like my body type on.

I'm always pleased when I realize I'm doing some things right for my figure after all.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 3, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks: The Giants are facing a Viking team that got humiliated last week in TWC.

I like the Buffalo-Indy score. Yes, I realize the Colts aren't playing their regulars, but 30-7 Buffalo strikes me as very humorous somehow.

Oh goody (yawn) the Declawed Loins have (yawn) just tied the score against da gummy Bears (yawn).

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Oooops. Make that Lions.

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear. I think I controvert many of cQp's excellent fashion maxims every day. Good thing I am for the most part invisible.

Posted by: Yoki | January 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Ivansmom, I *love* Coldwater Creek. I've been wearing those products for years. Alas, I am no longer my svelte self, but I'm still tall (despite shrinkage) enough to carry the extra weight. I'd really like to lose 30 pounds or so, but I think it will have to wait until the knee and the back get fixed so I can do the cardio I need to shed the weight. In any event, the strength training helps to redistribute (does that word make me a communist?) the weight and makes me *look* slimmer even if I'm really not.

Coldwater Creek products are really lovely. Many of them are casual enough to suit my personality, and can be dressed up when I want to get into "glamour" mode. I can do that, but I don't do it often.

I've never, ever been a fashionista, nor a willing shopper. My mother was beside herself, wanting me to dress a bit more "girly" than I was willing to do. Now, I do like nice clothes, and I have a gorgeous long gown in a lovely periwinkle blue with sequins in a diamond shape just above the waist. It's drapey and I really do adore it. Not only that, but I've gotten a tremendous amount of wear out of it. Alas, I had to have it taken out about 10 years ago so I could wear it to a wedding up in NYC (when I had pneumonia -- but the mother of the groom is a physician, so I suggested that she bring her doctor's bag just in case I passed out at the reception (she didn't, but she did seat me at the same table as her doctor friends, one of whom was a pulmonary guy -- thankfully)). IIRC, I got the dress when Garfinkels went out of business and I think it cost $180. Man, *those* were the days, eh?

I've sort of idled away the day, except for forcing myself to set up my 2010 ledger. I'm pretty religious (what a word!) about entering stuff in when I pay my bills. That being said, there is a ginormous, tilting pile of stuff I need to shred, and that's not being done quite so religiously. I do need to do it, though.

Almost time to see the Redskins lose. Ah, well. I wish Jim Zorn well. I think he has a fine character and ended up (temporarily, at least) in a position and in a corporate culture which ate him up and spit him out. May he take a looooong hot shower, get a massage and get to work with another team in another organization where there is respect through and through, top-down and bottom-up.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh Wilbrod, #2 and I fantasize about getting #1 on WNTW. We were going to do our own version of it last summer, but between scheduling and my job loss, we never were able to get it together. We also were a bit nervous as to her reaction. We don't want to hurt her, we just want her to look her best.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 3, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Declawed Loins. I like that. I'm not quite sure what it means, but it's an intriguing image.

Posted by: -pj- | January 3, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't do it, Sneaks. My mother was always trying to change me (throughout my twenties and thirties) and it caused a serious rift in our relationship. I get along much better with her since she has become demented. Just love her for what/who she is, not what you think she could be.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | January 3, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

pj: My thoughts exactly!

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, Pittsburgh and Miami are making a real game out of it.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I just bought my holiday presents for myself (whichever holiday piques my fancy) -- two books (a biography of Molly Ivins (wishing she were still alive) and "La's Orchestra Saves the World" by Alexander McCall Smith) and a CD of Eva Cassidy (wishing she were also still alive) called "Somewhere" -- and the songs on it are not redundant to other Eva Cassidy CDs I have.

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, I lied. I can think of a bunch of things but, as Doug Neidermeyer said in "Animal House", 'decorum prohibits listing them here.'

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The Rodents Of Unusual Size are attacking on the Encore Love channel.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, alas, *sigh*, the Lions' loins got clawed. For sumpin' completely different. . . . .

Wait'll next year!

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year, all!

I've been awol, but have finally spent an hour in a cold den to backboodle; time well spent! It's been so nice reading about everyone's holidays.

My microwave broke in November, I believe, and I purchased one yesterday, along with a dishwasher because the current one is going to bite the dust soon.

It's going to be a busy week at work, but I hope it settles down after that.

Cassandra, did you receive that card? Hoping you did.

Posted by: -dbG- | January 3, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, folks.

The Washington NFL Franchise is playing more or less as I expected them to -- decent defense, offense ineffective. As San Diego pulls their starters, Washington might have a shot in the remaining three quarters...

Baltimore's playing like I expected as well; solid, straight-ahead smashmouth football.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 3, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Besides, what are the [*]Skins playing for today besides further humiliation? At least the PoeBirds have a wildcard slot on the line.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Ah, San Diego's starters are out, and shazam -- Washington's in the end zone.

We'll see if Washington's going to give Zorn a going-away present.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 3, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of PoeBirds, nice touchdown including a stiff-arm knockdown.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Indianapolis pulled their starters last week, ruined their perfect season and kept the Jets playoff hopes alive. A victory over the Charger's second string is perfectly meaningless since San Diego already clinched a first round bye.

Who knew I knew so much about football?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

You are correct, yello. Once a team's second-stringers get committed wholesale, the pre-game wisdom goes out the window.

Might be an end-of-season gift to Zorn, indeed.

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy, I could pretend I was demented...Seriously, we aren't going to do it but her best friend has made her throw away some of her most awful stuff so I am hopeful. She has self esteem issues which I bet a 'makeover' would help. My goal for the year is to get her to stop saying 'sorry' all the time - she knows this and we can joke about it, so it's okay.

Posted by: badsneakers | January 3, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

B'more's kicking troubles continue. Who'd a thunk that picking up a free agent who hasn't played all season for the final game would backfire like that? Maybe they should have just stuck with Hauschka. Aren't I a font of pigskin punditry?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Demented? Some of us don't need to pretend...

*hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Redskins came back, so far anyway. Let's hope the Eagles can do the same.

Posted by: -pj- | January 3, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

yello, I loved McGahee's old-school stiff-arm on that TD run.

When I saw Harbaugh take the option of a 10-sec. run-off vs. using a timeout, I figured that figgie was doomed.

I would add that with the Tiara on the line, there is no NFL game that's "perfectly meaningless," sir.

They *all* matter.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 3, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. The tiara is no longer on the line. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Okay, people -- I mean REALLY! Did we REALLY expect to be able to stop that last drive by San Diego? Nooooooooo. . . .

This season has been like telling the joke all the way to the punch line and then saying "never mind."

Sooo glad the season is over. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- the season goes on for the teams that really know how to play the game and that are owned by people who comport themselves like adults and not like spoiled 3-year olds.

And, yes, the Lions lost, too. But at least they beat the Redskins. And, yes, I know, it's not like they beat any better team, but I'll take what I can get.

*snort* *snort* *snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | January 3, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It is done.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 3, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Nice that the Ravens make the post-season (while Washington players try to get traded to a good team) but they have had too many injuries to go far in the playoffs. Better luck next season.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, congrats on a fine week. I suppose bc could still tie you, depending on who you and he picked in the Bengals games. But if you guys picked the same team, the weekly tiara is yours.

Also, you now have 13 wins this week, which has happened only six other times all season. You have the opportunity of going 14-2, which no one has yet done this year. Good luck.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not normally a fan of the "Iron Chef" show, but must watch tonight. It is a special that matches Batali and Legassa versus Flay and White House Chef Christeta Comerford. They've been promoing it all week, saying there is a "special guest." Gee, that's a tough one. Let's see, they filmed it at the White House, one of the four iron chefs is the WH chef, and the "secret ingredient" is going to be anything grown in the WH garden. Wonder who that special guest might be...

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Yoki -- laughing! The advice is for those who want to not think too much about the clothes. Now, thinking about clothes, well that is another horse of several colors.

WB -- shoes? I have short wide feet. I will find a brand that is right and then stalk that style on line. For example, I am very happy in size six Kenneth Cole Reaction shoes. I always buy flats with a tiny heel to hook the bike pedal in. Recall, that my shoe needs are odd: bikeable in DC weather, comfy enough to teach (I stand and walk and treck between buildings), and somewhat professional. However, I am in the land of the U and a "proven" long term adjunct. I also have the theater tech flair so I get away with things often.

Additional shoe constraints for me: mule like or slip on, since I do not wear shoes in the house, and no suede (cannot care for it and the bike treck ruins suede whatever the treatments).

The athletic inspired shoes are a great boon: tend to be flat-ish but built on a sneaker platform. Brands include:

Nike City Knife
Michelle K
Kenneth Cole Reaction

Kenneth Cole is better for my wider feet; Nike's support is quite good. The chiropractor who cared for my BUnHeadBalleting Dots said that a good strategy is to wear three to four shoe types during the week -- mix it up, so that the muscles of the feet keep adjusting to various shapes and shoe lasts (structure). THen, go barefoot inside as often as you can stand. Never wear flip flops.

Search on flats.

I have never bought a shoe not on sale. Call me cheap and call me lucky because small sizes and large sizes appear on the sales racks....middling sizes? Not so much. Also, I wear last year or the year before styles, to again, achieve the discount.
---
Other options for me are the Keen and Trek sandals widely available.

My feet are in better shape than my bunheadDots....ballet is like crunch and munch on the feet and legs. Oh, the injuries in that beautiful but harsh sport-art.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

WB -- Look at Nike women's Air Rift. Less clunky than some of the running shoes. I think you would have good WilBrodog traction. 88 new but you can find less as the phase in new colors. Go to a running store; get suggestions. And, have them check you for the three foot comformations:

ordinary
overprotonation
underprotonation

Then, they can suggest shoes. For the best walking and running shoes, I like New Balance trail series. The dark colors also work well for walking around.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 3, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Lucky you to have a size 6 foot, CqP. Mine are 5 and a half and it's getting to be difficult to find shoes, let alone ones I like! If it weren't for Merrell and Easy Spirit, I'd be barefoot.

Posted by: slyness | January 3, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Ow!! My eyes!!!!

Posted by: LostInThought | January 3, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

All I can say in re: the tiara is that for once, logic prevailed.

Except for the Broncos, of course. But for those gaaackers, I'd have a shot at 15-1. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 3, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I wore size 5 1/2 shoes until I had The Boy. Now I wear size six. He also stole by white-blond hair and gave me back motion sickness. On balance it is still a good trade.

Congratulations to you Redskins fans on the end of what appears to have been a painful and frustrating season. Just think, next year is unlikely to be worse.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 3, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yes! Merrell shoes are a wonder. How about Clark's? They make sporty stuff AND dressy stuff. I love mine.

Posted by: abeac1 | January 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

"My". "My". I swear to you it was an "m" when I typed it. Gremlins.

Speaking of gremlins, did I relate our critter story? On New Year's Day, shortly before we departed for an afternoon movie, some Critter somehow got into the stove vent from the roof. I could hear it banging around in there. I suspect a squirrel; it was definitely not a Serpent because we could hear legs and feet (also, Serpents tend to climb the bricks into the attic). Then, the noise disappeared. Either it exerted a superCritter effort and saved itself, or something much worse happened and we will notice soon. I rather hope for the former though, since it has been two days without olfactory incident.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 3, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Clarks! I bought a pair of those, work-suitable pumps, this fall after three unsuccessful attempts at work shoes (one tore and two were painful). Gosh. I don't usually spend much on shoes which is probably why I don't have much luck with them, but those Clarks are great. I expect they'll last a long time and I may be a convert for life. I can get by without these things for a while (I wore Toms all summer), but when I need to look like a lawyer simple flats and clogs just don't work.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 3, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Y'all familiar with Longacre Square? Probably...

Posted by: -TBG- | January 3, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to consider that-- not sure I can find a running store up here, but maybe a sports good store. I already know I walk on the sides of my feet.

The variety of shoes is also a good suggestion for spreading wear and tear.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 3, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Last year I found a pair of Clarks sandals that I loved. You know who was the only retailer with them in my size? Amazon.com! So I paid the price, although they were a wee bit cheaper there than at Shoes.com or Zappo.

I'm like CqP, I normally only buy shoes on sale. But then I normally only buy ALL my clothes on sale. I'm with ftb, I love Coldwater Creek. They have great sales and I love the outlet!

Posted by: slyness | January 3, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hijack the Boodle re: shoes. I was just so excited to find good-looking work shoes that were comfortable and fit that I've become some kind of disciple, spreading the word.

Next up: doilies. And Kincaide.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 3, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Sigh... over at last.

For this I got sucked into abandoning my historic attitudes and poses to become a moderately committed fan of the 'Skins?

A fan of the franchise which I hated in my youth, as being the embodiment of effective but dull football, as coached by Nixon lookalike George Allen?

And I actually liked Mr. Zorn as a public figure... It's too much... it's just too much... never again... never again...

Posted by: woofin | January 3, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

If you are like me... staying inside with this cold weather and thinking about the year to come ...

A great old song from Jorma Kaukonen

Posted by: russianthistle | January 3, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

woofin, I've been a Washington NFL Franchise fan since Vince Lombardi came to town. I suppose that's historic isn't it?

You could say I'm committed. Or commitable, anyway.
Moderation proabably makes sense at this point.

I *could* say something about ladies' shoes, but I'll leave that to experts. Y'know, folks that might wear them to work or on evenings out...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 3, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Aah! Shoes! Such a lovely antidote to football.

I have a deformed left foot due to multiple traumas, which I won't go into (although it makes a great story!). I swear by Finn Comfort, although they are very expensive, and not at all beautiful (LIT: avert your eyes!!)

If you want, you can look at them at Zappos.com

Posted by: rickoshea1 | January 3, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

One word re Shoes - Keds :-). I know I am such a fashion diva.

Posted by: dmd3 | January 3, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Shoes, eh?

I'll refrain from reposting the link to the photo of the neon tangerine and aqua slippers I got from Niece#1 for my birthday last month.

Folks just aren't likely to have sunglasses handy at this hour of the evening.

Cookie bake-a-thon starts at 1pm central time Monday. Boodle cookie jar will be stocked after the extremely thorough inspection is completed.

*licking chops in anticipation*

Posted by: MsJS | January 3, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready to call it right now: Scotty goes 14-2, highest score all year. And he wins the weekly tiara. Double congrats, dude.

Shoes, shoes...what do I have to contribute about shoes? Um...feet look better with them? Otherwise I got nuthin'.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | January 3, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I know me and where I fall on the normal range...I was going to stay out of this. That being said....

The important thing is a good fit *for you*. If your shoes don't fit right, your posture will suffer, and then the look of the rest of the outfit is blown.

Trying on a lot of different brands of shoes is key; see who designs for your basic foot type. If you're going to be on your feet a lot, get something with a platform, even if it's just 1/2 inch (look for the inside to have the shock absorportion and give of one of those mats a barmaid stands on) and a chunkier heel. If you need more arch support or a wider shoe, don't overlook brand names like Guess or Nine West.

Get whatever material you like, but look at stitching. Find a decent shoe-repair guy to touch up the heels when needed (you can get a lot more miles for just a little more money). Not only should shoes be polished (someone said something earlier about polished shoes on a man...I always notice) but a can of something like Camp Dry does wonders for for both water and dirt.

As to color, no need to stick to basic black, brown, navy. And while dove grey is nice, so are a deep red, a rich green, a vibrant blue....complement the blouses/scarves cQp recommended. Look for buckles that complement your jewelery. Just because they go on your feet doesn't mean style doesn't matter...it's that much more important...it's the foundation.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 3, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

CqP, thanks (I think) for posting that J. Jill link earlier. I'm now out a bit of money, but it was outlet stuff on big sale, so that means I actually saved money, right? It all depends how it fits when it gets here. I wasn't sure on sizes, so I picked by which plausible size had the color I wanted still in stock. I've got my fingers crossed for better online shopping luck than I usually have for clothes. Nice store, in any case.

Posted by: -bia- | January 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

bc, I grew up far from major metro areas so got to choose who I would root for.

It's silly, though, I'm a very non-jock guy and as an adolescent, I taught myself to watch sports as a sort of Dale Carnegie maneuver to be able to make male conversation. Though not totally uncoordinated, I have never had a comfort level on the playing field and am not a reliable teammate in a game... rather, the kind who you better hope doesn't see a cool butterfly when he's standing out in right field. So at this point in my life I feel stupid following any team, win or lose. The losing side of the equation makes the point more obvious, but I feel almost as dumb when my team wins.

Posted by: woofin | January 3, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Jaysud God!

Posted by: Yoki | January 4, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

What Yoki? You are objecting to the 30 minutes of silence on the boodle? Or you can't believe Scotty won the tiara?

Posted by: nellie4 | January 4, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

None of that, nellie.

Posted by: Yoki | January 4, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Is there an official Late Night Patrol?

Posted by: woofin | January 4, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Usually led by Jack and Yoki, Woofin.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 4, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

My sleep habits have shifted a bit lately. Maybe I'll start checking in... Don't worry, no more psycho sports fan stuff...

Posted by: woofin | January 4, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I know Yoki, you let out that scream when you encountered Rodents of Unusual Size. They do that to you.

And woofin, from what I've seen, everyone here is a psycho sports fan.

Posted by: nellie4 | January 4, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | January 4, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else getting a new, annoying WaPo ad which can't be x'ed out when you refresh? Very annoying.

Posted by: Wheezy1 | January 4, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Got a full page ad a couple of times but I can X that at the upper right.

Posted by: woofin | January 4, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

It was a one-time thing. Luckily. After ten days home with my kids my ability to tolerate small annoyances is thin. Mighty thin. And they don't go back till Thursday.

Posted by: Wheezy1 | January 4, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

To bed at last. 'Night all.

Posted by: woofin | January 4, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

I only snorted at this cartoon because of the boodle:

Posted by: yellojkt | January 4, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

And a pleasant cold January morning to all! Hey Cassandra, I hope you are warm and well. It's back to reality day for us, including no heat at 5:45, but I think that was my fault, I didn't have the thermostat on the right mode. Anyway, the furnace came on and it's getting warmer inside.

Temperature outside is right on the line where I have to decide if I'm going to walk. I think I will; I haven't exercised properly in a week and a half. I'm glad the holidays are over!

Country ham biscuits and warm beverages (coffee, tea, chocolate) on the ready room table. Enjoy, folks!

Posted by: slyness | January 4, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Washington manages to take the 'victory' out of 'valedictory.'

Yeah, I've been working on that one all night.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 4, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to do something, do it well. If you look at the Redskins like that maybe it will hurt less.

Good morning al, it is a marvelous day. Or it will be. The sun is not up yet, so it is hard to tell. In the meantime, I have made the decided and I am determined t be right.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 4, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

The security folks in the lobby eyed the tiara a little warily, and I have no idea how the folks in the usual Monday morning meeting will react, but hey, jealousy is a horrible thing, no? Nice to end the pigskin prognostication (no playoff version?) on a double high note, but I just couldn't overcome my midseason funk to vie for the year-end award. I'll gladly surrender the diadem to 'Mudge for safekeeping until next season.

Shoes? *glancing at the mukluks I stuffed under the desk after changing into office-appropriate footwear*

*slowly-getting-back-into-a-normal-routine-dagnabit Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 4, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke, you wear it well. And yes, there's a playoff version.

Have a great day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | January 4, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. Made the decision.

Posted by: --dr-- | January 4, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I have a theory that eventually every coach in the NFL will have been fired by Snyder. When looked at this way some of the stigma for Mr. Zorn is reduced. Coaching for the Skins could be viewed as nothing but a rite of passage. Sort of like, you know, hazing.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 4, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure it's the right one, dr.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 4, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

RD, I wish I could get paid 2 million to not work for Dan Snyder!

Take a Va-Ca.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 4, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all.

I am so sorry I missed cQp's (or CqP's) fashion feast yesterday. Long ago I was advised that monotone was more youthful, and in my case, that is true. I tend to love black, really good black, the kind that shows a ton of lint unless it's a wool gabardine. However, if you go to the Lily link - top of page of:

You will find one of my favorite designers. If you need a pink, she can provide it for you, as it is her signature color. Most of her clothes are too youthful, too flowery for me now, but I still like her tunics, some are quite subdued.

My favorite online clothier is Orvis, will put up a link shortly. And...they do have good online sales. They do have a shop near the tyson corner mall, but it's mostly hunting/fishing equipment, men's outerwear. Fun part of that site is reading their trip iteneraries, you need very big bucks for their trips.

RE: redskins/snyder/zorn. I remember Lombardi, I remember the fun bunch, Bobby Bethard and family were my neighbors. Joe Gibbs became my hero when Lombardi had to resign, Joe Thiesman and Riggo were close by, those were the daze my friend and I was a whole younger, too! Jack Kent Cooke was old, even back then, or at least I thought so.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Their clothes never wear out, never go out of style. Sales on....

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know the name of the tallest building in the world? Starting today, it is the Burj Dubai, 160 stories plus some stuff on top of that.

It is said to be about 90 percent occupaied, and the first tenant, the clothing company of Armani, will move in next month.

No word yet on whether Tom Hanks will meet Meg Ryan there on the observation deck.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know the name of the world's tallest building? Starting today it is the Burj Dubai, 160 stories plus some stuff on top. It is said to be about 90 percent rented out, with clothing company Armani to be the first tenant, moving in next month.

No word yet on whether Tom Hanks will be meeting Meg Ryan on its observation deck.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Ooops, sorry for the double. (*&^%$#&^% computer refresh.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, if they do, I'll have what he's having.

Posted by: russianthistle | January 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Ah, I didn't expect Zorn's employment with the Washington NFL Franchise to last until brakfast, and it didn't.

Scottynuke, please be careful about transporting the Tiara and under no circumstances attempt to smuggle it in your boxers.

RD, typically coaches fired by Snyder don't end up as a Head Coach for another NFL team. Feel free to debate what this may say about the quality of Snyder's (and Cerrato's) hiring and firing practices. Norv Turner is the only one of the 6 that is currenly an NFL Head coach, IIRC.

I gotta say, the end of Spurrier's tenure was a lot more entertaining than Zorn's.

bc

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that insight bc. Shows how much I know about the NFL. I just assumed that most of those former Skins coaches found a home somewhere.

Of course, as RT points out, a fired coach can probably find some way to make ends meet even without another head coaching gig.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

VL, I meant to tell you something; gently.

Lombardi didn't resign as Washington NFL Head coach IIRC - he passed away from cancer. Then came George Allen, then Jack Pardee, then Gibbs' first run, I believe.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Ha Ha, very good, rt.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, bc, I thought he resigned because he had cancer, I did not realize he was still coach when he passed. Thanks for the correction. He was a neighbor of our friends, they said he and his wife were wonderful neighbors, we never met him.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Hmm.

I think a comment I'd made to VintageLady was lost here...

Lombardi did not retire, IIRC - he passed away from cancer. George Allen was hired to replace him, then came Jack Pardee and then Joe Gibbs' first run.

Former Washington Head Coaches may find other employment elsewhere, but there's usually not a need for them to seek Head Coach wages right away as they're they're typically given very nice financial packages.

No word if there's a support group or Facebook friends of Former Washington coaches. Or if they get group rates for therapy.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 4, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. VL, you're my kind of women if you're dressing yourself in a fly fishing store. I'm more of a lower-brow Cabela kind of guy myself. Bass pro-shop is too Nascar for me. Mind you Mrs. D used to accuse me of dressing myself at Canadian Tire. Which was partly true.
A bit of sadness this morning. One of Witch no.1's favourite (tri-lingual) singer passed away Jan 01. 37 year old is way too young to die. RIP Lhasa.

The Times put her 2003 album "The Living Road" in third place in their Best of the Decade review in the World music category this last December. Maybe they knew something.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | January 4, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Gently is good, bc

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

bc, could Snyder possibly have shown any LESS class than how he fired Zorn? I can't conceive of it. The poor guy gets off the plane at 2 in the morning, and is greeted at Redskins Park by some flunky minions, and he's out the door by 4:30 a.m. Couldn't even let the guy go home and get some sleep first and do it at a civilized hour this afternoon. (Even if everyone in the Free World knew it was coming.) Just a complete, total inability to do anything right or humane. How did this guy ever make a fortune? Why would anyone work for him?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't give a hoot about the Washington NFL franchise's success or lack thereof, but I am troubled by unfairness and stupidity in the world. I heard on the news this morning that Zorn was the 7th head coach in 10 years since Snyder bought the team. That sounds like a rather rapid turnover rate. You can't blame the head coaches for that, as they are the ones turning over. You have to blame the element that's been there the whole time. Snyder might do a lot better in the long run if he stood by his coach even when things are going poorly. Give the coach and the team time to learn how to work together and to develop loyalty to each other.

But I guess that's just crazy talk.

Posted by: ScienceTim | January 4, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Ix-nay on the oxers-bay alk-tay, c-bay...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Strange delays on my comments today...

VL, Lombardi may indeed have resigned, but he sure wasn't forced out. Heck, they changed the team's uniforms to look more like Green Bay's just to help lure him here. Also, there were several coaches - and one Super Bowl trip (a loss to the Perfect Dolphins) - between him and Gibbs.

And still, there's The Trophy.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 4, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

JayFree of the Lake wrote this very nice piece on Johnny Apple and his sainted widow, Betsey. Some nice lines:

"He is wearing a sated, nearly saturated look. There are a staggering number of glasses on the table. "Notice there's no wine left in them," Betsey says.

"Despite his most Dionysian efforts, Johnny Apple didn't actually drink the world dry. When he died of complications from thoracic cancer in 2006, at 71, he still had hundreds of unopened bottles of fine wine (some much finer than others) stored at his weekend retreat in Gettysburg, Pa., and his main residence, an old Georgetown house.

...

"More than three years after Johnny Apple expensed his final movable feast, his favorite dinner date, Betsey Apple, 66, is still dealing with the remnants of her husband's extraordinary career and Falstaffian life, along with a vast emotional void.

..."(And yes, Betsey says, they [the wine]all belonged to her husband and not to his employer, an important distinction given that he was a legendary expense account artist who may or may not have buried a fur coat on one of his expense reports when he was posted in Moscow.)

..."She's also preparing to offer his papers to Princeton, "even though he got kicked out not once, but twice!" for spending more time on the campus newspaper than on his studies. (He eventually graduated -- from Columbia.)

Ask about the Dale Chihuly piece in the living room, and Betsey tells about the time she, Johnny and some friends visited the artist's studio in Seattle. The story begins thus: "We were with Bob Mondavi and Julia Child . . . ."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

You want a better team? Disincentivize dumb play. $25,000 fine for any DB who drops an interception. $10,000 fine for every false start penalty by an offensive lineman. Same for any player who draws a flag for unnecessary roughness. Ditto for intentional grounding. Some types of penalties are completely avoidable- lining up in the neutral zone, illegal shift, not enough men on the line of scrimmage, twelve men in the huddle, and on and on. This is dumb play. This is Washington Redskin football. Want to change it? Discipline the offenders. And lastly, restructure Albert Haynesworth's contract so that he is paid on a per play basis rather than per season.

Posted by: kguy1 | January 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

bc, re your 9:57 am. I went back to see what on earth made you think I said Vince Lombardi was forced to resign in my 9:04 am. I can see why you read my post that way, but it was certainly not my intention to give that impression. The Vince Lombardi Trophy, indeed.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

*Tim, it wouldn't surprise you to know that people have been saying "Fire Snyder" for years. Like, before the GW Bush Administration. And I happen to agree that the only way to resolve the problem is to start at the top. You ask 'why do people work for him -- ask Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith.'

This is where NFL folks are paid big big money. Washington is where NFL folks come to cash in -- and out. I think a lot of folks would endure a season or two here for millions of dollars.

Mudge, I agree it was relatively classless and certianly humilating for Zorn, but at least Snyder didn't make a circus out of it and allow a horde of reporters direct contact with the Next Ex-Head Coach during his exit or hold a locker room tirade (as he has been known to do) and presser ending with the public firing of Zorn.

Remember the circii for Turner, Schottenheimer and Spurrier? I think this was pretty tame and relatively tasteful in comparison.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | January 4, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Could Snyder possibly have shown any LESS class than how he fired Zorn? Sure, fire him in the locker room in San Diego and make him find his own way home.

Posted by: kguy1 | January 4, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Shriek, I really like their clothes. I love the smell in that shop, very leathery and some nice oily fragrance.

Posted by: VintageLady | January 4, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Didn't George Allen add incentives for such things as tackling a kickoff return behind the 20 yard line, etc? He may have also had the deincentives kguy speaks of.

Sigh. We knew Jack Kent Cooke was a lunatic, but we also knew he was a great owner. Hired the right GM and then opened the checkbook.

I think the worst of the Snyder moves this year was interviewing an African American assistant coach already to get the "Rooney Rule" satisfied even before firing Zorn. (Oops... I see it turns out that didn't count!)

One commenter on a blog I was reading posted "Maybe this will spawn a cottage industry of unemployed black coaches who get paid to have Rooney Rule interviews. I gotta call my agent."

Posted by: -TBG- | January 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

The scuttlebutt in TWC was that if Bears head coach Lovie Smith hadn't been fired by 9am today, he'd be here next year.

No news conference has been called and it's 9:23.

So Redskin fans can look forward to the possibility of improvement. It would appear Bears fans will not.

Interesting word, scuttlebutt. Technically, it's the cask of the day's fresh water aboard ship. Landlubbers use it as a synonym for 'word on the street.'

Posted by: MsJS | January 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I, too, was originally disgusted by the news that Snyder had fired Zorn in the dead of night. Then I wondered, what if Zorn actually wanted it that way? He knew he was out, it is probably a relief, he didn't have to deal with crowds and reporters at the time, and he can start today fresh and free.

Posted by: Ivansmom | January 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

WB -- VL recommends Orvis. I love the silk underwear, which can work for the dog walkies in the cold and dark. I think that SD of VLP fame likes silk undies too.

Here are three great shoes on sale that work for dress. All Naturalizer:

Look also at the Nat. Nominate (slip on with heel coverage) and some of the others. Naturalizer should be available in a store near you. Try on several pairs. If the Nat. brand is good for your foot, then order online.

For pants and wear: look for lycra or tencel blends with cotton. increase the wear and wash survival by several years. I am hard on pants too, because of the bike seat time. Petites are your friend; also, look into cropped styles, which might not be capris on you but will fit better. Here is an Orvis sale piece in petites that could be your no worries dressy pants.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Good point, I-mom. I remember when Mike Ditka got fired from da Bears with the cameras rolling and Ditka standing there trying painfully hard to look professional.

Whatever discomfort a coach might feel, let's all remember this comes with the job. Some number of them lose their jobs every year, but they are paid well while it lasts.

Lots of folks are having job security issues these days at wages far below professional sports coaching levels. My sympathy is with them, not with pro coaches or athletes.

Posted by: MsJS | January 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

WB -- here is the jacket type you might consider:

Note the hip length. Higher than the men's suiting jacket. Better for the tiny dynamo. Also, look for raglan sleeves. MUCH more comfortable anyway, but better for the doggy leash arms. See the shorter sleeves, without tight wristbands? I would love this.

The tonal grey would be lovely with black or any grey and even jeans or khaki. SO, a great go-to piece that will be a faithful servant to you. Would work for even some aspects of evening. You could wear a lovely jewel red/pink silky tee....or stay in the blacks but wear a sparkly dangle ear ring.

Print this out as a sample of the jacket cut for you to look for: hip height; raglan sleeves, open cuffs. Should move beautifully and work with your darling small proportions.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 4, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope Coach Zorn has comfy shoes to wear now and always. Now I am onkit. Shall stop with the personal shopping tips.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

You said it, MsJS. I have a hard time feeling bad for anyone who is losing a job after working long enough to make more money than most Americans will make in a lifetime.

Ditto goes to the athlete who holds out for 20 million when he's already getting 15 million. What could possibly be the difference.

I'm purging today, cleaning out shelves and bookshelves in the family room. Here's how bad it had become: the 11-year-old cat, who mostly sits around the house (and she sits AROUND the house) is now climbing in and out of the newly emptied spaces, they are so unusual to her.

Posted by: -TBG- | January 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Please forgive the copy and paste, but here's the latest from Andy Borowitz...

==

Bush Calls Last Decade ‘Tough Act to Follow'

Former President Looks Back on ‘Greaterest Decade'

CRAWFORD, TX (The Borowitz Report) - The decade just past was "an awesome one in just about every way" and will be hard to top, according to former President George W. Bush.

In a new interview with the former president, Mr. Bush reflected on the highlights of what he believes will be known as "The Greaterest Decade."

"We won the war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we made the dream of home ownership available to millions of Americans who couldn't afford their monthly payments," he said. "That's going to be a tough act to follow."

Mr. Bush also said that of all his accomplishments over the past decade, he was proudest of "improving America's standing around the world."

"Anywhere you go, people love America," he said. "I see this in Crawford every day."

As for his successor, President Barack Obama, he had some simple advice: "Never forget where you came from, which, in your case, is Kenya."

Posted by: -TBG- | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

TBG -- me too. Though, the poodle is looking at new spaces but miffed about the piles of books on the floor.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

True, the world is full of tragic stories, and a fired football coach hardly qualifies. Yet it is part of the irrational, though powerful, nature of professional sports that we become emotionally invested in the players and, of course, the coaches.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 4, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I just returned from Nordstroms where I returned a rejected gift for my wife. When will I learn. Anyway, there is a Redskins Store right next to Nordys.

Oh, what a forlorn and lonely sight.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | January 4, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

When I was a kid we always got marked-down Redskin stuff for Christmas! The team was already out of the playoffs so the stuff was on clearance by early December.

I have my mom's Redskin bumper sticker collection. It begins with the one from the Otto Graham years that says, "Bring Pro Football Back to Washington."

Posted by: -TBG- | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

AhAH. A Cabela's find that I would buy in navy or green...

On sale: WB -- more casual but the waffle fabric stretches. Note the slight fit on the waist. Casual but very nice for the tiny person. You could fold back the cuffs or have them shortened.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | January 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

greaterest? Is that supposed to be 'great, greater, greatest' all in one word?

Posted by: MsJS | January 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said 'Let Newton be' and all was light."
--Alexander Pope

Happy Birthday, Sir Isaac.

There's also an interestig tie-in of the Jan. 4 date to these scenes from Disney's Fantasia, Parts 1 and 2:

Posted by: laloomis | January 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And for the latest on Kepler--the telescope, that is--five new exoplanets, written by you know who.

Posted by: laloomis | January 4, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: Moose13 | January 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Anybody local looking for a job? There are some openings on the Hill if you're interested:

WASHINGTON, D. C. - Nearly every staff member of Representative Parker Griffith's office tendered their resignation this morning in response to his recent decision to change party membership. This included the Chief of Staff, along with the entire legislative and communications team. In departing Griffith's office, the staff characterized his party-switch as a "mistake" and emphasized that this district has "benefited" from conservative Democratic leadership. Many of the staff members had worked for Griffith since before he arrived in Washington including several who worked on his campaign for Congress in 2008.

"Alabama's Fifth District has deserved and has benefited from great Democratic conservative leadership since Reconstruction. And until now they had it," Chief of Staff Sharon Wheeler said. "But Parker Griffith has abandoned the legacy of conservative leadership provided by Bud Cramer, Ronnie Flippo, Bob Jones, Howell Heflin, Jim Allen, Lister Hill, John Sparkman, Big Jim Folsom, and so many more."

Joining Wheeler in departing from Griffith's staff were: Megan Swearingen (Legislative Director), Brian Greer (Senior Legislative Assistant), Will Crain (Legislative Assistant), Sean Magers (Press Secretary), Arinze Ifekauche (Legislative Correspondent), Chase Chesser (Legislative Correspondent), Mary Lou Hughston (Staff Assistant), Dr. Anjali Shah Kastorf (Congressional Fellow), Leslee Oden (Congressional Fellow), and Andrew Menefee (Intern). The staff members waited until they could return to Washington to resign. Last month, Griffith's campaign consulting team announced they had terminated their relationship with Griffith.

Wheeler continued, "I appreciate Congressman Griffith's being a very dedicated congressman. But we believe he made a mistake - a well-intentioned but misguided mistake that is not in the interest of the great people of North Alabama who elected him a year ago as a Democrat. As his staff, we wish him only the best, and we all remain committed to the citizens of the Tennessee Valley. But we cannot, in good conscience, continue working for him. It is with deep sadness that we leave our work for the Fifth District. But because we are unwavering in our own principles, we have no choice but to move on. We do not know what the future holds, but we are taking a leap of faith with the belief we will soon find ourselves in the employment of principled public officials."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | January 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon all.
despite the freezing temps last night I sweated thru the ravens victory over the Raiders.An unimpressive win,but a win that got us in.I just love the stiffarm by willis magehee that broke open his 77 yard touchdown run.I love watching any runningback who uses the stiffarm well.

Now off to New England and the Patriots.We almost had them in game #4.The nice thing about this playoff field is we have already played everyone,except the Jets.We lost most of them,but revenge is a great motivating factor.

Wasn't it Khan who said "do you know of the old Klingon saying that revenge is a dish best served cold" It is very cold in New England in January.

purple with envy

Posted by: greenwithenvy | January 4, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Not only New Kit, but Front Page Alert! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | January 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Zorn will not be alone in the unemployment line. From HuffPo-

"Nearly every staff member of Democrat-turned-Republican Rep. Parker Griffith's office quit Monday morning in response to his decision to switch parties. His chief of staff resigned, along with his entire legislative and communications team -- many of whom have worked for Griffith since before he arrived in Washington.

'Alabama's Fifth District has deserved and has benefited from great Democratic conservative leadership since Reconstruction. And until now they had it," Chief of Staff Sharon Wheeler said. "I appreciate Congressman Griffith's being a very dedicated congressman. But we believe he made a mistake -- a well-intentioned but misguided mistake that is not in the interest of the great people of North Alabama who elected him a year ago as a Democrat. As his staff, we wish him only the best, and we all remain committed to the citizens of the Tennessee Valley. But we cannot, in good conscience, continue working for him. It is with deep sadness that we leave our work for the Fifth District. But because we are unwavering in our own principles, we have no choice but to move on. We do not know what the future holds, but we are taking a leap of faith with the belief we will soon find ourselves in the employment of principled public officials.'

Joining Wheeler were Legislative Director Megan Swearingen, Legislative Assistants Brian Greer and Will Crain, Press Secretary Sean Magers, Legislative Correspondents Arinze Ifekauche and Chase Chesser, Staff Assistant Mary Lou Hughston, Congressional Fellows Dr. Anjali Shah Kastorf and Leslee Oden and intern Andrew Menefee. They waited until the winter break was over so they could return to Washington to resign. Griffith's campaign consulting team dropped him when he announced his party switch."

This is

A. A principled response by staffers.
B. Rats abandoning a sinking ship because they know he can't get re-elected- Repubs won't trust him (too much liberal voting) and Dems will revile him.
C. A comfortable 60/40 blend of A&B which will suit the seasoned political operative in his or her job search on the Hill.

Posted by: kguy1 | January 4, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Buttoned blazers are risky; often even "petite designs" have the buttons too far apart, so I've often tried on shirts or jackets that don't cover the bust right at all.

I have a fitted blazer that I love. The top button goes right under my bust, so the line is very nice, and it flares at the hips and isn't too long. It emphasizes a waist, without ruining the bust line.

I would worry that the cafe jacket you show would be a bit shapeless on me (while suitable for other builds.)

I have many shell vests now I live up here. Most are a bit long and not cut to emphasize bust and waist at all, but I live.

Those trousers are nice, but 29 inch petite inseam is way too long for me.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | January 4, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse