A Blizzard Country bestiary

IMG_0167.JPG

When people ask me what's the hardest part of living in Blizzard Country, I always tell them, "Grilling." Not that it's impossible. You just need one of those Bobcat front-end loaders to get to your Weber. This shot was taken last night after I received a whiny text message from the Weber claiming that I had been disloyal (I believe the exact language was "U R Fair Wethr Frnd"). This is nonsense. When I obtained the Weber I made it sign a prenup that says I don't have to grill whenever there's more than 80 inches of snow in less than four days.

And don't get me started on the sniveling of my ultra-wimpy electric mower.

IMG_0155.JPG

Angus's rescue dog, Crow, is an excellent animal companion, though I'm not yet persuaded he's exactly Albert Einstein when it comes to understanding the physical world. Here we see Crow hunting for squirrel and fox at the edge of the gorge. Sometimes he plunges right off the palisade, disappearing for many tense minutes. Then we'll see him bounding across the snow-blanketed flood plain. Then we'll see him mounting an ice raft and floating down the Potomac. Then we'll get a call from Crow, saying, "I'm at the pound in Alexandria, can you pick me up?"

IMG_0121.JPG

On the radio they keep guilt-tripping us into buying Scott's Songbird Selections, which is the premium birdfood that's so exquisite it actually contains worm tenderloin. Not the worm gristle -- the tenderloin, the best cut, pre-tenderized, with a parsley garnish. But I'm looking at all these robins in what used to be my crape myrtle, and I'm thinking: They're fat!!! They should buy ME food.

IMG_0216.JPG

A popular game after a blizzard: Spot the moron. Here we see a dimwit shoveling a roof. Obviously he is trying to prove something about his personal derring-do. I wouldn't do this if you paid me good money.

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 11, 2010; 11:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Snowmaggedon snowcap
Next: Blizzardheads

Comments

Icicles are a bad thing.

Faxing Joel and bobcat front end loader. You didn`t say if you needed an operator or not.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 11, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

There's the hat! Derring-do, indeed! Looks like a dingo ate his house.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Have I seen that shoveling stance before? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Many thanks for the photos, Mr. A. And for your NASA budget article as well.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Only a dimwit if he did not tie off to something very stable and sturdy.

You did tie off. (This is a question. Question mark currently unavaible. Stoopid keyboard.)

Posted by: --dr-- | February 11, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that at our prior abode the grill was moved to within 3 feet of the patio door every November. That three feet was the first spot shoveled after a storm. Happy grill, happy us.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I decided not to be a moron and run errands after all this morning--streets pretty slick with rain. (The draw to venture out, you ask? A long-weekend Valentine's Day discount at our Half-Price Books bookstores.) Joel's last pic simply reminds me long-ago memories of Tahoe, a few roofs collapsing because of the snoweight.

So. I've been running around the house instead doing laundry, and a laundry-list of small chores, including cleaning out the ashes in the fireplace. We had our first fires of the winter season just this past week. Enjoyed the burning logs last night while catching Gates's genealogy program last night on PBS.

My husband, working from home today, says I've been running around like I have a bee in my behind. I prefer to think of it more like fire ants (See Bad Blake ["Crazy Heart"] for the great one-liner. *w*)

Truth be told, you're still stuck in snow view and I'm still in a movie-frame of mind. So why don't we meet in the middle (and by that, I don't mean Kentucky or Tennessee)?

This foreign film from Germany, "Das Weiße Band" or "The White Ribbon" looks like something to see--or to wait for to show up, as is the case in San Antonio.

Excerpt from London's "The Guardian":

It has chilling brilliance and icy exactitude, filmed in black and white with the lustre of liquid nitrogen, and its director, Michael Haneke, achieves a new refinement of mastery and audacity.

From Wiki:

The White Ribbon is a 2009 drama film written and directed by Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke. The screenplay focuses on the children in a village in northern Germany just before World War I. According to Haneke, the film is about "the origin of every type of terrorism, be it of political or religious nature."

*drumming fingers, waiting for the film to play in a theater near us*

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

dr: I'm not seeing any tying-off rope in that last photo, are you?

Maybe it was photoshopped out to enhance the derring-do quality of the moment. Maybe.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I would have to ask if one were actually sure that, if you were concerned about the snow on a roof weighing too much, how would would feel about the weight of the snow plus the weight of a man?

Posted by: russianthistle | February 11, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Valentine's Day, there is a new billboard advertisement that has just been papered up very near our home that says something like: San Antonio--Heart Symbol--Home of Culture and Art (I'm mangling this a wee bit.)

So, in a shameless plug for art and culture here, the movie "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief," based on the series of books by former Bay Arean *l* and current San Antonian Rick Riordan (Rye-or-dan), opens in theaters across the country tomorrow. The back story about how the books came to be is here (since I haven't seen this children's movie, I can't speak for it one way or the other):

In yet an even more shameless plug for the city's art and culture, John Phillip Santos' next book, following his very successful "Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation," is due out in early April:

San Antonio native son John Phillip Santos, a finalist for the National Book Award for his 1999 memoir "Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation," extends his family saga with The Farthest Home Is in an Empire of Fire (Viking, $25.95, April 5). Santos chronicles his quest, which takes him from San Antonio and South Texas to Spain and ultimately to the Middle East, to tell the story of his mother's side of the family.

[Last night I was turning the burning logs in the fireplace, so I missed the part of director Mike Nichols' story that preceded his utternace, "Who knew?" Drat.]

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I gotta agree about the robins being fat. The flock I saw on my walk this morning were certainly well-fed. (Not by me, it's all I can do to keep water in the birdbath.)

On the way to the grocery store, I had to swerve out of my lane to avoid a crow chowing down on roadkill (a squirrel? I couldn't tell). The crow was a foot tall and didn't move, even for Mr. T's pickup.

Mr. T had to take my car this morning to have a tire checked. Yup, a nail. That's the third time I've had a tire puncture in the last couple of years. At least this time, I figure it happened in my own driveway, what with garage construction and all.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I am sorry, but the safety police are on their way. The next thing you know you will be sticking cotton swaps into your ears.

Seriously, shoveling a roof like that is a tough call. On the one hand, ice dams are no fun. On the other hand, neither is waking up in the hospital.

But I am relieved to see that photographic evidence of this event were taken. That should help with the legal issues.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tying off reminds me of the story of the guy who tied off to the car bumper, rope over the roof to work on windows.

Then he wife drove off.

Derring do!

Posted by: edbyronadams | February 11, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hah. You call those icicles? I have icicles hanging off my house that violate arms control treaties. Icicles that could impale a rampaging Mastodon. (Which could come in handy.)

Icicles that tell me I really, really, need to insulate the attic.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Going to see White Ribbon this weekend.

Art house is in walking distance.

Posted by: edbyronadams | February 11, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I note that Angus had a similar hat in a previous photo-kit. Which makes me wonder if it is a cultural thing around there. You know, like Amish hats but more flash.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Ed, that classic mistake actually happened to an old boss of mine while he was working on the roof of his house.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 11, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Those robins aren't fat. They're just fluffy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I got to play Spot the Moron without leaving the house. On this morning's news, they showed a guy skiing behind a car, water-skier style. Call it cleansing the gene pool.

Our neighborhood streets are passable, but I've got no reason to go out, other than cabin fever. Those who have gone out report lanes disappearing and drivers going way too fast for the conditions. No thanks.

Stay warm and sane!

Posted by: Raysmom | February 11, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

In thinking of Valentine's Day, I think of our mayor Julian Castro and a candidates' debate in the downtown library, 2005, IIRC.

The three mayoral hopefuls squaring off were Phil Hardberger (60s?, Tommy Lee Jone's former father-in-law), Julian Castro (20s?), and 57-year-old Carroll Schubert (I'm yanking Schubert's age from a write-up I did of one of the Wonders of the World concerts pulled off by Texan Cary Floyd, this particular one the first ever done at the Alamo, another U.S. location later in 2005 was the Grand Canyon).

I remember asking the trio the question, "Que color es su corazon?" Castro was the only one to "play" my question. As I recall, his answer was "red, passionate red."

So, Julian, here's sending you (your wife and baby) an early 2010 Valentine. SWAK.

And who's responsible for really fixing up our neighborhood freeway interchange very recently? Looks like various areas in all four directions are being prepped for lots of trees and plants to go into the ground. Remeinds me of Loomis-descendant Frederick Law Olmsted. Making the world a more beautiful and attractive place, one freeway interchange at a time.

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

EBA, please tell me what you think about "The White Ribbon.". Thumbs up, thumbs down? Perhaps you have seen other Academy Award-nominated best foreign films, and can compare, contrast. Just a few words, enough to make me more (or less) interested. Thanks.

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

After due consideration and remembering my childhood reading of "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang", I am inclined to make a virtue of laziness and refrain from shoveling the roof, as the snow provides insulation from radiant and convective heat loss.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 11, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Ack! Kayak just sent me an email trying to lure me to a beautiful Jackson Hole spa and ski resort. No thanks.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

And then there are those who must have John Wayne in the flick to be satisfied that it is a *classic*. After all, he was squeaky clean and always the hero.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 11, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Weed, I bet his wife never knew how loud he could

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Shoveling done for now. Midday hot bath with olive oil. Nothing soothew winter skin like the fruit of the ancient tree. Advil, too. As Sarge says, "Let's be careful out there."

And, JA, CPBoy and Co BEGGEd me to allow them to tackle the tiny back roofs as you did. FOR FREE....I said no.

The are helping with some downed trees, hoping at turn with the Husky-varna chain saw. I told Mr. H-varna saw that it was up to him. Gotta learn some time.

As Marge Piercy says

"The pitcher cries for water to carry and a person for work that is real."

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

really yell.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I risk the wrath of the powerful songbird lobby to note that those fat robins could themselves be tasty morsels. Put Crow to work hunting, clear a path, and fire up the Weber.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Those robins could have hung around here a bit longer.

Wyomingites tended, years ago, to happily party in Jackson, but drive on to the other, snowier side of the Tetons for skiing.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 11, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, VL, methinks I must demur. There are some (I am one) who think that John Wayne was actually the villain in "The Searchers," and was far from squeaky clean in that one. It was easily his most complex role, and I am also of the opinion that Wayne was himself unaware of the idea that he was the villain. In the view of some, his character, Ethan, was rabidly racist, and he only comes around at the very end of the movie. He was great, great friends with the director, John Ford, or course, and it is my theory that Ford knew Wayne was the bad guy, but never told him so. His motivation throughout the movie was that he intended to find his niece Debbie so that he could murder her. Her crime: that she had been somehow "ruined" because she had been kidnapped by the Apaches and had been assimilated by them. So in his mind, she deserved killing for this. These are not the motivations of any classical "hero."

But that's why this is his greatest movie.

I'm sure rashomon/kguy and others may weigh in on this question.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad you demur, 'mudge. I felt someone would.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 11, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

If we are still debating the morality of the mythos of Pretty Woman, it has already become a classic. What other movie from 1990 is as iconic and memorable?

My grandfather, a WWII Signal Corps veteran, had this to say of John Wayne at the time of all the hoopla around his death: "John Wayne was no hero. He spent the war making movies. Now Bob Hope was a true friend of the serviceman. Him I will mourn." He never got to since Ole Skinose outlived my grandfather by about fourteen years.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The robins aren't fat, they're cold and have their feathers puffed up. Now they could be fat too, but doubtful. When they are in a flock like that it is because they are a bit disoriented from crazy weather. Also the tree probably has some frozen berries on its limbs. Crazy weather = birds of a feather sticking together. They rarely eat bird seed unless they are starving. But they love blueberries.

Great looking rescue dog!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 11, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember the Searchers well enough to weigh in on this discussion immediately had the following line running through my head:

"But you caused a lot of trouble this morning, pilgrim. Might've got somebody killed. Someone ought to belt you in the mouth but I won't. I won't. The *hell* I won't."

And that's all I've got so it's back to work. Ya'll keep up the edifying conversation though so I have something to read later.

Posted by: cowhand214 | February 11, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Ole Skinose is one of CqP's Scandinavian relatives.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom--roasted robins?

Posted by: Windy3 | February 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Rockin' Robin:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

YJ, Vintage Husband was in the Signal Corp in 1961-63, stationed at Arlington Hall Station, Arlington, VA. That's where he started his career in computers (data processing). A good branch for him.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of critter you need for a big snow:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Everything's cleared away for departures or arrivals, though the neighborhood roadways are still only navigable by vehicles with more than 6" of ground clearance (mine don't have that much).

I woke up with a start last night, and felt something was wrong. Realized that there was no more road clearing going on -- it was the Silence of the Plows. A quick internal monologue -- "Have the plows stopped beeping, bc?"

Good motivation for me to get out and start shoveling early. Saw some starlings on my deck that had gotten so big that I was going to look for Estes model rocket engines do affix to 'em as JATO units to help get 'em off the ground.

So I'm done with shoveling for the moment (and certainly not going to get up on *my* rooftop), and just working from home with the NASCAR Gatorade duels on TV (muted), live from Daytona.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 11, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Ahh... finally some young entrepreneurs came knocking and asked if we wanted our driveway shoveled. YESSSSSSSS.

Dr. G left the front door unlocked last night, figuring that if any burglars were willing to shovel out our front walk and unblock the storm door to get into the house, they are welcome to whatever they can find in here.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

In laws, TBG, inlaws. I am Irish on both sides. Wait. The blondie-gingerness is a Viking present left on the shores of either Wexford or the North Coast near the Glens of Antrim.

OhMiGoD. I am scnandihovian of a fashion. Paging Frosti. Hey, Cuz. You, the Gertrude Jekyll of the North and South; Me GJ of the mid Atlantic.

We must have some Nordo-Finnie ancestor in common -- short and beloving of flowers. We can call her

Ragfrid -- Begonia Lady of Bergen or
Gunilla -- Gladiola Lover of Gotesberg
Helga -- Helebore Breeder of Helsinki

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, CqP... like the darkness of the Greeks is supposed to come from the Turk invaders. My grandfather had the true Greek blue eyes. Beautiful with the dark hair and skin. My dad used to tell me the Greeks in the highest mountains were still blonde and blue-eyed back in the day.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

TBG -- my mom was like that. Stunning to see turquoise eyes with waves of dark dark hair. My four brothers saw fit to love that in their beloveds. I mentioned it once, and CPBro2 said, I never noticed that, but that is right. All the g-friends were similarly arrayed.

CPBoy and friend DID take a turn at the chain saw. They are sunburnt and sweaty from the exertions. But, the cut and moved trees and snow WITH TOOLS.

So, do I buy him a little Husqvarna?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Ana Marie Cox's dog Skeeter playing in the snow:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Viking raiders? The Glens of Antrim? Oh, crap. CqP, are you talking about that little plateau area where there are these nine little valleys that branch off of the plateau? Inhabitants were a bunch of Irish and Hebridean Scots? (Well, until we came along...)

*hastily checking my datebook for the late 900's*

Oh, s---.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

My dad asked my why I just didn't wait for some enterprising teenagers. I said that they don't exist in my neighborhood. He suggested I put up a sign.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I notice while reading the comments on the Capital Weather Gang blog that the CWG bloggers themselves type in bold when they write in the comments section.

I suppose Joel could do that, too, but is way too polite (or too frightened of the mob mentality) to do the same.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The very Glens Mudge, the very Glens. Inspired a song:

Rosemary Clooney sings it too...not a real folk song but a sentimental song much like When Irish Eyes...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Does he have a good eye, a steady hand, and an appreciation of safety, CqP? If so, it will be a good investment for both of you.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

CeeQueue... try this one on

Posted by: russianthistle | February 11, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, RT,always liked their version of Wild Wild Horse

The Stone started it but my darn goodness, they hail from England.
But, this Stones take in 1995 is pretty darn good:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Slyness. what he needs is a master to apprentice to on this one. I am not the one to do it...even though I have used a chain saw.

I did buy him his own tool kit for musical instrument fixing; he would like to fiddle with amps but hey, you cannot get the Radio Shack flat box kits to learn on any more.

My goodness, I used to go to the back of the shop where they sold Tandy brand leather craft supplies....if he does a gap year, I hope he can apprentice to a few masters and learn some hand-stuff.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Much backBoodling to do, but after another day of shoveling (YAY for neighbors who pitch in and work together to clear almost and entire street!) I found time to document Snoverkill 2010:

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a master would be good to have for him, CqP. Too bad we don't live in the same neighborhood, Mr. T would be an excellent choice. I continue to marvel and chuckle at the big boy toys that show up on my doorstep.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Love the paw prints, Scotty.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd add "The Shootist" to the list of John Wayne movies where he played a less-than-positive character. And immediately before "The Searchers," he played no less than Genghis Khan in "The Conqueror," my nominee for one of the two most badly-cast movies in history, (in a tie with "The Adventures of Marco Polo.")

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call him the villain in "The Searchers," but certainly a racist antihero. And I'd agree that he probably didn't realize how negative the character came across, since he named his son Ethan after him.

I actually detest Wayne as a person, no matter how much I enjoy his movies. He was the original chickenhawk, avoiding service in World War II (Yello's granddad was right), and becoming a John Birch super-patriot in compensation. My opinion of him hit bottom when I saw "No Substitute for Victory," a pro-Vietnam war documentary, produced by and starring Wayne, wherein antiwar protesters are referred to (not by Wayne) as "mobs" and "communist aggressors."

On a lighter note, Joel's photo of the robins reminded me of this:

It always makes me smile.

Posted by: rashomon | February 11, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Rosemary Clooney singing Let it Stnow!

Wearing a great pinch waisted polka dot dress.

---Slyness, we can send him down to your place for FireFirghter and Woodsman Apprentice Program.....as if Mr. T has nothing else to do. :)

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that be fun, CqP? He could take lessons in practical construction and project management from Jack. And he and SonofG would make a pair!

Mr. T would never admit how much he would enjoy having him for an apprentice.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

CqP, I think I know how (or perhaps, "who") that blondie/ginger streak got into your gene pool way back when. I sailed with a fellow named Günnår, who fell in love with a local serving wench on one of our cruises ("raid" is such a cruel term) to the British Isles. He had that classic blond/ginger red hair many of our people had. This love affair was so well known that it became the subject of a song we used to sing aboard ship about it. (Modesty precludes me from mentioning who the talented author was.) But it went

a little something

like this:

There's a port on Antrim bay
And it serves a couple longboats a day
Lonely Vikings pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a wench in this Hebridean town
And she works layin' honey mead down
They say, "Brandr*, fetch another round"
She serves them ales and wine

[*Brandr: an old Norse name (female), meaning "sword," from which we get "Brenda"]

The Vikings say "Brandr, you're a fine wench" (you're a fine wench)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine wench)
"Yeah, your eyes could steal a Viking from the sea"
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

Brandr wears a braided chain
Woven from a piece of fine baleen
And a locket that bears the name
Of the Viking Brandr loves

He came on a summer's day
Bringin' gifts from far away
But he made it clear he couldn't stay
No harbor was his home

The Vikings say "Brandr, you're a fine wench" (you're a fine wench)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine wench)
"But my life, my lover, my lady, is the sea"
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

Yeah, Brandr used to watch his eyes
When he told his Viking sagas
She could feel the ocean foam rise
She saw its ragin' glory
But he had always told the truth, Loki, he was an honest man
And Brandr does her best to understand
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

At night when the mead hall closes down
Brandr walks through a silent town
And loves a man who's not around
She still can hear him say

She hears him say "Brandr, you're a fine wench" (you're a fine wench)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine wench)
"But my life, my lover, my lady, is the sea"
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

"Brandr, you're a fine wench" (you're a fine wench)
[fade]
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine wench)
"But my life, my lover, my lady, is the sea"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Mudge. Thanks, though, for the tune cootie. Except for me, now, it's "Brender & Eddie were still going steady..."

Oh... Bill Clinton in the hospital...

Bill Clinton hospitalized in New York, receives two stents

Updated 5:12 p.m.
Former president Bill Clinton has been admitted to a hospital in New York City after suffering from chest pain and received two stents in one of his coronary arteries, his office said Thursday afternoon.

In a statement, Douglas Band, a longtime aide to the 63-year-old former president, said Clinton "was admitted to the Columbia Campus of New York Presbyterian Hospital after feeling discomfort in his chest.

"Following a visit to his cardiologist, he underwent a procedure to place two stents in one of his coronary arteries. President Clinton is in good spirits, and will continue to focus on the work of his Foundation and Haiti's relief and long-term recovery efforts," Band added.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

John Hartford recorded a couple of Stones tunes on one of his records. He noted that they were written by that famous bluegrass team of Jagger/Richards.

Here's a video with some lovely playing by a pretty good group:

Tony Rice on guitar
Sam Bush on mandolin
Jerry Douglas on dobro
Bela Fleck on banjo
Mark O'Connor on fiddle
I don't know who the bass player is.

And "Nine Pound Hammer" from the same show:

Posted by: -pj- | February 11, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Somebody want to tell me why in hell somebody thought this was a good WaPo headline (in the religion section): "Baraboo man accused of using stun gun on 'sinner.'

WTF does "Baraboo" mean? Is it a place? A religious cult? A nationality? Are there more stun-gun-armed BAaraboos running loose and zapping sinners? Are we supposed to know what it means? Go read the story. See if that makes it any clearer. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021002507.html?hpid=sec-religion

*shaking my head* (I Googled it, and now know the answer. But my point remains -- and is reinforced.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh my TBG -- stents continue to prop up CPDa. More Lipitor for Mr. C. And, anti inflammatory meds and diet. Immune drivers of heart disease are just now taking center stage.

Mudge -- why thank you. Now, I understand that particular tune cootie or ear worm as you Teutons are want to say.

Now, would this be Swedie Viks or Norske Viks or even the Danish Viks? ...when I met a dark haired bold bold boy from Ireland long ago -- he was a cousin -- one of the first things he said when he saw my family was: "Gingers, the lot of you. Nordic Gaels."

He was a kissing cousin, as in fair game. Ah. But I was young and foolish and did not follow him back across the pond. He is still a dairy farmer, and making an artisanal cheese that is all the rage just now, in Dublin. I coulda been a cheese monger!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,

Baraboo is in Wisconsin. It was semi-famous a hundred years ago because it was one winter home of Ring Ling Barnum Bailey circus folk. And, I know this because, tadah, I have cousins there.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,

Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, hailed from new Baraboo.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I got an email earlier today from the school system asking neighbors to get out and clear their sidewalks and bus stops so the kids can get to school next week.

But now I see comments on Facebook saying that VDOT bobcat operators are dumping the snow from the streets onto those cleared sidewalks and bus stops. Sigh. What's a neighborhood to do?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Home from work and preparing faxes for all those who have spent the last days shovelling, local specialties, Wine, Tim's coffee and Teas and Walkers Carmel chocolates, kick back and enjoy.

Has the storm stopped yet? Just about to get caught up on the news.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 11, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone note this already? The inventor of the Frisbee died at 90:

Posted by: -pj- | February 11, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

our first friz was a red one that had the names of our solar system's planets along the rim. frisbee golf, imo, is the only kind that's fit for humans.

Posted by: -jack- | February 11, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the music vid and the Frisbee note. We should all live so long and do such good.

Original name: Pluto Platter!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I see they've declared a state of emergency locally, and private vehicles are not supposed to be on public roadways except in the event of emergency. I'm out of bacon - that counts, doesn't it?

Mudge, you're *really* on your game today.
All you other Boodlers, too.

Scottynuke, to answer the question posed in your pics -- um, Depends?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 11, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Blessed are the cheesemakers, CqP.

Posted by: rashomon | February 11, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Hiya --

I checked out the obit, pj, and while I was on that site, I scrolled down to see the obit for Johnny Dankworth, who died last weekend. I urge you all -- especially jazz afficianados -- to check out his obit, as there are two YouTube clips of his wife Cleo Laine singing (one from the 1960s and one more recently, as they both look much older) to Johnny's fantastic riffs. Wowee-Zowie! I've gotta go look in my stash of CDs for what I have from them. I used to go to the Kennedy Center to see them whenever they were in town. Those were definitely the days, my friends.

In the meantime, surprisingly I got mail today (none yesterday) so somebody must have plowed the condo inside roadwork. No paper this morning, but there's always online for that, although I don't like it as much.

My friends in Sweden have all contacted me to see how I'm bearing up in the snow. Well, they have a whole lot of it now, too, but they're used to it and we're not so much.

And dear, dear Mudgekins. I remember those Viking times well, even if we wimminfolk were relegated to the potato brigade. We knew what to include in our pot of soup when the menfolk got too, well . . . too obstreperous.

Posted by: -ftb- | February 11, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

And blessed are the chickpea advisers. Thanks to TBG and the Paupered Chef, I have a nice toasted garbanzo snack to eat, which I'm munching now. There's a new breakthrough in softening hard-to-soften legumes: overnight soak in, get this, saltwater. It worked. They were remarkably soft even before I boiled them to doneness. Then, my path chosen beforehand, I made the toasted snack with a little salt and seasonings. Next time around hummus as it should be.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

We were mixed Swedie and Norskie and Danish Vikes back then, CqP. None of the three country really much existed as separate entities back then. They were kinda kingdoms, and there was a lot of national changing-of-kings back and forth. Sweden didn't become a country, per se, until shortly after Gunnar and I sailed to Antrim.

The first real Swedish king was Olof Skötkonung, who was the son of Eric the Victorious and Sigrid the Haughty. (Yeah, Queen Siggie was a royal b1tch, all right, hence the origin of the term.) Olof was born around 980 and he succeeded his father in 995. Nobody quite knows what his last name means:
one is that it means "tributary king" and there's speculation about a tributary relationship to the Danish king Sweyn Forkbeard, who was his stepfather, and who re-captured Denmark, which Olof's father Eric had conquered.

In 1000, young Olof made an alliance with his stepdaddy, Forkbeard, who was married to Olof's haughty mom (god knows why; maybe she was dynamite in the sack, I don't know), and with the Norwegian Jarls Eric and Sven, against the Norwegian King Olaf Tryggvason, who as I'm sure you remember died in the great sea battle, the Battle of Svolder. I'm telling ya, there were so damn many Olofs, Olafs, Svens, Sweyns, Erics, Eriks, and Eiriks running around I got so confused I just called everybody "Butch."

See, it began when King Olaf was sailing home after an expedition to Pomerania, when he was ambushed by an alliance of Forkbeard, Olaf Skötkonung, and Eirik Hákonarson, who was Jarl of Lade up in Norway. Olaf had only 11 warships and we had about 70 in our fleet. We captured and cleared out Olaf's ships one by one, until the only one left was Olaf's great flagship, the Long Serpent. As you know, she was one of the largest Viking ships of her day, and was about 150 feet long, and had sides as high as a knörr or knarr, which as you know is an ocean-going merchant vessel we used a lot, especially when we colonized Greenland, Newfoundland and Iceland. The Long Serpent had 34 oars, and a crew of 68 rowers, not counting all the royalty and such aboard.

At any rate, we had captured all of Olaf's other ships, and surrounded the Long Serpent. Just as Jarl Eirik went aboard her, Olaf jumped into the sea. So, after this battle, the Jarls of Lade became kings of Norway, which was a fief to Denmark and Sweden.

So you can see how hard it was to tell all the players without a scorecard, and figure out which country was actually which. And anyway, it all went to hell a few years later, in 1018, during the Norwegian-Swedish War, but that's another story for another day.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Jumper... I made the roasted garbanzos the other day, using canned garbanzos and sprinkled them with kosher salt and Cavender's Greek spice (what *doesn't* that make better?). They were great and will be surely part of the G snack repertoire from now on.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh my Mudge. Thanks for that. Rasho, I always like blessings. And, TBG -- this works for storm food: whip cottage cheese with herbs and spices and parmesan, put on crackers under the broiler for a brief instance, then stud with olives or mushroom pieces.

We have both kinds of olives: Huzzah.

The cloaked Ikea meatballs were a reasonable substitute for mama mia style (LiT and RD and BC, I beg forgiveness. Rasho, I needed that blessing).

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Toasted garbanzos (fromma can) were included in my Super Bowl munchies! I used sea salt and good curry powder. Next time I'll remember the Cavendish's, which is right next to the curry in the cabinet. The garbanzos were very popular. It was a great way to warm up the oven.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 11, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I remembered, TBG, and that's why I embarked. Not having Cavender's, a little Old Bay.

I used Goya dried chickpeas which had given me some real problems before. The saltwater soak was bizarre but it worked.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

2-hour delay/unsched leave for Feds tomorrow...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The Geekdottir and Mr. T both received notices for jury duty in today's mail, she for March 1 and he for March 3. She came by to pick up the slacks I had to lengthen for her sister and stayed for supper.

I'm getting more adventurous with my cuisine, here in my old age. Supper was pork short ribs with mushrooms braised in sweet soy glaze, rice, and asparagus roasted with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Only thing left was some rice.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I am just proofing some yeast-risen potato/barley pancakes for supper; some plain Greek yogurt and applesauce will make them imitate latkes, but with more nutrition and less fat. I'm quite happy about this!

slyness, that sounds *fantastic.* If I wasn't nearly too big for my smallest jeans, I'd think about pork for tomorrow.

Actually, tomorrow I am taking my 'boyfriend' (hee hee, love it for two old people!) for dinner at our new and only local 'molecular gastronomy' restaurant, exec'd by a chef who worked with Thomas Keller (a master whom, I am quite sure, doesn't play that game). Calgary is on the cusp of a dying trend! Nothing new about that.

This is our St. Valentine's Day dinner while avoiding amateur night. I'm sure we can come up with something else to do on Sunday.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Jonathon Capehart is trying hard not to say David Broder is an idiot, but I don't think he succeeded. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/02/_when_it_comes_to.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I've decided the Broder piece was penned to spur controversy, comments, eyeballs, and revenue. He's got a gajillion comments so far. And Capeheart's role was to play 'the sensible one' today. All pre-choreographed.

Or maybe not.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

OK... here's a question I've been meaning to ask...

MsJS says Broder's article has a gajillion comments so far, but when I read the article I see this where the comments section is...

" 0 Comments
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
Your washingtonpost.com User ID, -TBG-, will be displayed with your comment."

When I click to comment, nothing happens.

This is the case with every article on Wapo.com (not the blogs, just the articles).

I know that rickoshea also sees this on every article. Is this because we are using Macs?

Does anyone else see this?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Eating only molecules would leave me hungry, I think...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

All you ever eat is molecules, Scotty. Lots and lots of them.

TBG, as you know I use a MacBook (love love love it) and can't see any comments on Broder's column either. I'm using Chrome for Mac.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh for crying out loud. Palin is bait on a hook and everyone knows it. Her role is to be someone for the left's naive wing to poke fun with great hilarity at while the Reps come up with their real program.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I have no problem seeing the comments using a Mac. Are you using an older version of the operating system?

Posted by: rashomon | February 11, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

TBG, did you click on the comment above the box? That brought up 1816 comments in another window. No, I didn't bother to read them.

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

To answer, TBG, this happens with Firefox and has been happening for a long time. One must open Explorer (ugh) to view Post comments. However, one can LEAVE a comment via Firefox. You just won't know it unless you open Explorer. (Or maybe something on an Apple, I don't know.)

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 11, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Aha! Brilliant, rashomom. Now I see them. But am not reading them.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, TBG. I'm no help. I'm on Linux (Ubuntu) and Firefox. I can see the comments fine. (Broder is up to 1,818. 1,817 of them aren't mine.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Oops. slyness, of course.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

The only way I can ever see the comments is using Chrome. But I'm usually okay with that. Comment sections typically make me all itchy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

You know what I mean, Yoki... :-P

Oh, those 1,818 comments on Broder that pop right up on my PC? They look perfectly loony, as expected. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

No comments with Firefox 3.5.7 (I'm using the latest Snow Leopard OS), but I do see the 1818 Comments in Safari.

Here's what it looks like to me in Firefox (my browser of choice)...

Also... in Firefox the box on the front page that is supposed to hold the Olympics info is spilling over. Most of the text flows out of the bottom of the box. The stock market info doesn't fit on the line, either...

I sure wish their web folks would keep track of stuff like this.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

hey boss: might i respectfully suggest you get off the roof and dig out your weber. there is nothing better than grilling some beef on a frosty night surrounded by 3 or 4 feet of snow. you would not believe what this does for your man scores. and all your neighbors will be jealous of your food. and your beer never gets warm. it's all good.

Posted by: butlerguy | February 11, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Mudge - you do Ubuntu? Cool. But be warned. It's super easy to hack passwords in Ubuntu.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

There's nowhere to click to leave a comment, Jumper.

To be honest, I don't care to read the comments, I just wondered why none of the articles ever had any!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Ooops. Not Firefox. I'm using Opera at the moment.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ftb! I read Dankworth's obit in the paper this morning. Seeing those You Tube clips added another dimension to it. That "Don't Mean a Thing" really moves.

Posted by: -pj- | February 11, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

*Snort* Scotty.

I know.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that, Padouk, but thanks. Anyway, there's nothing much here to hack.

Do you use Ubuntu? I'm not sold on it and am not real fond of it. The only good part about it is it isn't a Microsoft product and I don't get all those worms and trojans and ad thingamabobs. The biggest problem is getting sound on YouTube links. (I still can't hear most of them. Yeah, yeah, I loaded all that extra stuff. Still nothing.)

I think shriek uses it, too.

I may actually have to go to work tomorrow. I've been off for the past seven days. I'm not sure I can stand a one-day work week.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I'm using an older version of the OS than you (thought you might be using 10.3), and I don't have the problem in either Safari or Firefox. Maybe a bug in the way that Firefox uses Java in the newer OS.

The spillover in text on the front page is just bad web design at the Post. They used a fixed size box for the background, but since the font and text size are set by the user, it's not necessarily going to fit.

Posted by: rashomon | February 11, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Scary pics, Scotty. I've seen guys tackle Everest in less gear.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Joel, two words: roof rake.

Those birdies aren't fat, they're cold. The winter chickadee is almost twice the size of the summer one when resting. They puff up their feathers to trap some insulating air I think. It's not so apparent on nuthatches and the cardinals are somewhere in-between.

I could see all 1831 comments with Fifefox (on the M$ vile viscera OS) if I were inclined to. Which I'm not.

Oh the irony. I got tired last year and the year before of constantly moving the grill around to blow the snow on the patio. The first winter I set the grill aside at the bottom of the shed we have a virtually snowless January and February doesn't look good either. We may get an inch or two early next week. Woo pe dee doo. Will have to relearn this driving in the snow thing.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 11, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

May I just say the MARC Web site is extremely annoying this evening? Its servers must be slammed -- no info on what's running tomorrow. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

1837 Broder comments here... Mac, Firefox 3.5.7

Posting OK, though it took a second post to figure out where to find it....

Spotted the first pollen of spring on the car hood this afternoon.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

TBG,
It's a Firefox thing. I get exactly what you see when I use Firefox (also my default browser) on any operating system including XP, Vista, or OSX over five different machines. I have to fire-up IE to actually read the comments which is a pretty big incentive not to.

You would think the webheads at WaPo would want this feature to work on the second most popular browser in the world, but that would be giving them too much credit.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I was invited to comment on a Robin Gihvan article, just as you were, and it would not take my comment, and I could not see others, and I use IE.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 11, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Roof rake sounds interesting. What I really need is a roof mop, to clean algae and dirt off what should be a shiny galvanized roof.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Alright, so it wasn't quite a gajillion comments. 1,857 and counting as of about 5 minutes ago. And we're at about 110 for this kit.

*sniffle sniffle*

I feel like I'm letting Mr. A down.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Not at all, MsJS... Just remember, we're all about quality, not quantity. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm on an ancient PC (Windows XP circa 2003) and use Chrome. Never had a problem reading/posting comments with either Chrome or IE.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh Em Gee!

The first time I came to Washington DC on business, I was in touch with a girlfriend who lives in the Catoctin Mountains of (Maryland?) and I took the MARC up to her. Honestly! It was the worst public-transit website I'd ever navigated. But, I got there, and had a lovely weekend with Maria and Jack. And Jack drove me to Dulles of a Monday (75 miles? Something like that - that was his normal commute!) to get my flight back to Canader.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"Although the fact that only people using IE can post comments goes a long way to explaining the quality of the messages." -- Laughing.

Yup, the Catoctins are in Merlin, Yoki. It's where Camp David (Presidential retreat) is located.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

In west by god,I would always shovel a path to the grill,in balmer after this mess I won't be grilling till spring...........maybe

I can't even see it anymore.......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 11, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

In case any of you are wondering about the references to the Knickerbocker Storm, here's a picture of the theatre that collapsed in 1922 under heavy snow. Also includes headlines from the day...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The thing I loved about the Catocitins was, that they are part of the Appalachian Range. I loved Bryson's work on the trail. And many others of his.

At 11/2001 Maria told me she could hear the black helicopters.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, CP, thought you'd want to know that "Thor: Hammer of the Gods" is just starting on the SyFy channel right now.

Northern folk, longboats, etc.

Looks, er, inexpensive.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 11, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Die Strafe des Schweigens!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Precisely, dear sister!

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

That cast has a lot surnames that end in Z for a movie about Norse mythology.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wrath of God! Not too many Zs.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, bc. I'm having trouble buying into a movie about Vikings versus werewolves starring the least intersting kid from Home Improvements. Maybe it's just me, but it isn't working for me.

Dynamite cast, tho': Daz Crawford, Nicole Ennemoser (loved her in "Vier Frauen und ein Todesfall"), Hristo Mitzkov, Velislav Pavlov, Raicho Vasilev, and of course, George Zlatarev as Biff, Thor's lovable sidekick.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Florida "sounds like a colorful lawless swamp." Pretty much nails it.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

That cast all ends in 'v's. I'm sooo confused.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

What do you word mavens think of this headline from an article in the Chicago Tribune?

Palin exposes the partyers

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 11, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn Gottes" Got an "8" at IMDb. Keep watching.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 11, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Der Zorn des Gottes!

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I am laughing uncontrollably at 'Biff, Thors lovable sidekick'.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 11, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

See, the thing that happens when you are snowed in for a week is that you watch a lot of reruns on cable. But because you haven't been watching television much they are all new. So you get all into Grey's Anatomy based on episodes from, I guess, 2007. Then you watch a new episode and annoy the hell out of your spouse because you want to know, like, what happened to George.

This is why snow is dangerous.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anna Howard Shaw Day this Sunday.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

TBG, for what it's worth, I can see the comments in Firefox 3.6, Safari 4.0.4, Chrome 4.0.249.85 (!) running on Vista.

Maybe you can't see them because you've lived a pure and wholesome life.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 11, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

As a non-Washington/Baltimore Fed, it will be nice to have some of you all back.

And I've been watching your perils of Pauline with interest in a kind-of "I'm glad we only deal with wet water" type of way.

Glad to see all of you dealing with the snow in humorous manner.

Posted by: Pacifica | February 11, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

If it's any consolation, and it's probably not, Minneapolis is enforcing snow parking restrictions effective immediately until April 1st. This means no parking on the even side of all non-snow emergency routes. Why, you might ask? There is now so much snow accumulated that is unlikely to melt until some time in late March. Restricting parking to one side of the street, city-wide, is the only way to be sure emergency vehicles will be able to move.

I know it is a lot harder to deal with 4-5 feet of snow in one fell swoop. But, take heart, you will watch the cherry blossoms drift away in the wind while we are still climbing over great piles of snow.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 11, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

The only time I have ever looked at comments in an online story or article I found the Achenblog.

Yet more proof that it is better to be lucky than good.

I haven't looked anywhere else since. I don't want to push my luck.

Time, I hope, to sleep. Buenos gnocchis, snow people and others. Vaya con queso and fondue.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 11, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

SCC-I'm sure there's a stray - in there.

Toodles boodle and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 11, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I love it when blonde Viking women start undressing.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Campus is closed, due largely to snow volume. The lots cannot hold even half of the volume expected on a regular day. And, the shortage of shovels means that students cannot dig out cars, etc. etc.

Last time we were closed for a week, twas no electricity in the wake of Isabel. For 911, which was a Tuesday, we were closed Wed/Thurs, with classes back on for Friday, with liberal absence policies.

Take care all. And, Frosti sorry about that....dingy snow lowers the mood level about 7 points. Blech.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

George? What happened to George? (I haven't watched much since Denny died.)

I suppose whatshisname is still boffing whatshername. (Yeah, that was kinda vague. Fill in the blanks anyway you please. McHorney and McAussie and McSulky and McCoolBlackBossGuy and then the women, Dr. Bosom [didn't she die, too?] and Dr. Frown and her sister, Dr. Cute, and their friend Dr. Asian, and bi-mex Dr. Zoftig and heart specialist Dr. Mean, and the head resident, tough little Dr. BlackLady... )

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

Oh.

Television.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

looooong day. parent conferences=12 hrs. in the schoolhouse, and back tomorrow morning for 5 hours of dedicated conference time. it is too often the case that the parents what attend aren't the ones that need to be seen. i feel like the title of this little ditty by the greatest unknown guitarist, Danny Gatton:

Posted by: -jack- | February 11, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Danny Gatton played the Surf Club back in the day, with John Previti and Chris Hal and Chick Hall Jr.

Thanks for the reminder, Jack.

CPBoy jammed there, with JP, and the Hall brothers....sorta like the Bakersfield sound but what we can Hillbilly or Cowboy jazz.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

a good friend of mine from bethesda turned me on to DG during during my grad school years at JMU. my copy of redneck jazz disappeared some time ago. read the Broder piece, and a counterpoint from somewheres on the WaPo blog page. I'm amazed at how vehement the opposition to the current administration is. To read the accounts of how SP and her message has been received affirms my belief that ignorance can be bliss, until you mix it with a bunch of folks carrying the figurative torches and pitchforks.

i need to get our my old whfs tapes

Posted by: -jack- | February 11, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, Dr. Mean left Dr. Asian at the altar. She's now with Dr. McArmy.
Not sure who Dr. Bosom is. If you mean Callie, she married and divorced George and then found her bisexual/lesbian self.

George decided to go to Iraq. Didn't die there. I never liked Denny much. Or Izzie. Go figure.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 11, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Yoki. I like Grey's Anatomy though. Makes more sense than "Lost."
I watch it on hulu.com when I can. Last season's writing was a lot of crap, but this season has been good.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 11, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

yeah. this is one of the songs on one of the aforementioned tapes, and i didn't know the title, nor the artist until just now, when i typed in a query using some of the lyrics. i remember seeing a lot of handbills for the cramps in the City, long ago and far away.

Posted by: -jack- | February 11, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

What am I missing?!

I like new hard rock downloaded from the Itunes store. I really love Death Metal. And, you, know, not jazz.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Jack,

John Previti's bass shines in this set:
Redneck Jazz!

Jack, go here and listen to the Pennies from Heaven sample:

Honky Tonk Sax of the excellent and gone to his reward Joe Stanley

He also played with Danny G.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

not much, Yoki. just the usual off kit comments. looks like we're in for some snow tomorrow night. office hours at the shack on Saturday will likely be slow.

Posted by: -jack- | February 11, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

not as hot as JP, CqP, but pretty decent on the upright bass, rob wasserman, joining in on a venerable Dylan cover

Posted by: -jack- | February 12, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

those are some high energy children, Yoki.

Posted by: -jack- | February 12, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes. Jack. I like them.

Posted by: Yoki | February 12, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

And there is this

Posted by: Yoki | February 12, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jack. Am nursing a cold and will sign off. Thanks for the lullabyes...will see Marianna Previti in a house concert next week.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 12, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

jack, the late, great Danny Gatton has had more than a few references in the Boodle. "The Humbler" is always mentioned in the periodic "great guitarists" threads.

Was lucky enough to see him a time or two myself as well. Heck, where's my copy of "66 Elmira St.?"

dr, if you like the "Biff" sidekick theme, consider reading Chris Moore's "Lamb." [And if you already have, well -- good.]

Mudge, yello, etc. thanks for the "Thor" updates. I bailed after the first wererwolf. Can't stand to see how my people are depicted in such a stereotypical manner. Plus, who wants to see a Thor with hair like Pee-Wee Herman? Sheesh.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 12, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' Boodle. At least it is practically morning in my world.

I've set up a breakfast buffet in the Ready Room. Hot porridge, plain yogurt, homemade hazelnut granola, blueberries, bangers. Scones. Marmalade. Fried Spam. Etc.

Fly well.

Posted by: Yoki | February 12, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Is there going to be a Gold medal for shoveling?

I tell you with all the snow the last 7 days,we could have quite and exciting Olympics round here.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 12, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

A little Olympic humor this morning:

Very little.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 12, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

bc,
Then you missed the climatic battle between Thor and a very bad CGI wolf-Loki. The movie following it, Dog Soldiers, was also lycanthropically oriented but I bailed in favor of Stewart/Colbert. If it weren't for Caprica, I would be ashamed to have SyFy on my channel line-up.

Although the 2-part Sandkings is airing at 8 am this morning. A good reason to call in claiming a snow emergency.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 12, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, let's see...

The Dawn Patrol airstrip is frozen over with 150-foot-deep drifts. (You think I exaggerate? I'm shocked, shocked...)

Metro isn't running the aboveground service I would normally take.

Several local roads are literally impassible due to the aforementioned drifts.

Even if the roads were feasible (and I was interested in participating with the absolute asylum of today's commute), NukeSpouse has to work and she left already to get there on time.

Looks like another day of telecommuting.

And shoveling, there's always more shoveling. *SIGHHHHHHHHHH*

*what-the-hey-it's-still-TFSMIF-let's-make-the-best-of-it Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 12, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of telecommuting...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 12, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh wow. I peeked in the ready room and Yoki's breakfast buffet...wow, just wow. Anhd yumsers! Gonna be a great start to the day!

Well, our time in the barrel, so to speak: the forecast is for three inches of snow here...will be interesting! At least Mr. T can work inside his garage, putting up shelving.

Onward into the day!

Posted by: slyness | February 12, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Spam???

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 12, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I could find some baked beans, sausage and eggs if necessary, 'Mudge...

Perhaps even some lobster thermidor with mornay sauce...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 12, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse