Greetings from Mount Crumpit

IMG_0044.JPG

I guess it's time to take the trash back to the alley. If you don't hear from me within an hour, call 911.

IMG_0038.JPG

The alley. Do not venture there without a shovel and a flare.

IMG_0041.JPG

Listen. It's the Whos down in Whoville. Singing!

IMG_0019.JPG

Already sleepy suburb now in snow-induced coma.

IMG_0029.JPG

Excuse me, WHERE ARE THE CABS????????

IMG_0567.JPG

Heard a pitiful yelping in the night. It was the Weber.

IMG_0059.JPG

New sport: Palisade-jumping. You just hurl yourself off the cliff and you can't get hurt. (But you go first.)

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 7, 2010; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snowmaggedon: The musical
Next: I don't believe what I just saw

Comments

Beautiful pics and witty captions as always!

Just finished the second round of shoveling. Whose idea was it to buy a corner lot? Oh. Right. Me.

Although the sidewalk shoveling wasn't as bad as I thought. The sun is shining and the snow collapses quite politely when undercut with a shovel, making it easy to dispose of. As a result I'm not channeling the Grinch nearly as much as I feared.

Although, after a while, I did have that "feet ice cold in the snow" bit going.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Ack! I was Mudged. Reposting...

Dr G has gone out for his first shift of shoveling. Please send major boodle mojo to keep his heart working. I don't really think I could do with a cardiac event today.

Heels play the Terps at 2:00, as scheduled. Good thing the UNC team arrived here before the storm hit. (If you hadn't guessed... that's when Dr G's shoveling shift is over and mine begins.)

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

That is it I am not completely jealous, pondering a trip south to go sledding.

Everyone shovelling, take frequent breaks, and use those leg muscles.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Come on down, dmd! Bring your husband and a shovel, please. :-)

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Would love to but I am the person who does most of the shovelling, I have him cook while I shovel.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Really love the lighting effects on the green stoplight pix.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

TBG: Our conversation got mudged.

I will admit that a bit of glam attention would be trif. It wouldn't be in the political arena, however, as I have the political savvy of broccoli.

But eventually, I would tire of having others think my ideas are brilliant. I like people to draw their own conclusions rather than attach themselves to mine.

As to the notes on her palm, I wish I'd lent her my pen. It'd be worth a tidy sum on eBay.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The Plow Fairy didn't answer my prayer, but my neighbors and I did have a visit from a Front-Loader Pixie. This, of course, meant more shoveling to do, but that's OK. The sun's melting things down to the blacktop.

Shoveled the thouroughly ornamental front walk (no one uses it)...

Oh, I'm getting a call -- time to swing back into action. And I'm bringing the shovel.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Having a great deal of trouble trying to picture what a front-loader pixie looks like. Kind of a fantastically butch Tinkerbell, flannel shirt, bib overalls, work boots, kind of a Todd Palin/Larry the Cable Guy attitude?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer getting mudged meant something else. Not necessarily something risque, but maybe it would have to do with having a piece of writing effortlessly transport you to another place/time.

Being TBG'd would have something to do with wordplay and laughter, like Mianus. Being CqP'd, you'd be dressed to the nines. With hand-stitched hems. Being S'Tim'd, hmmm. I gotta think about that one.

I could entertain myself with this for a while, and probably will while tackling the living room. Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | February 7, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Ms Wasilla doesn't have sweaty palms!

Glad to see all are digging out without incident. The pictures are beautiful Joel.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

But if you were a true Republican, MsJS, you could just SAY you lent her the pen and it would be TRUE! Isn't that how it works for them?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If Sarah had sweaty palms and got her message mixed up - would anyone know the diference?

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL, dmd!

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Reposting since I didn't realize there is a new Kit:

A late Sunday breakfast. My husband shared good news--he's back on the project.

He also informs me that there will be a program on later today called "Super Commercials," to be interrupted with some frequency by short clips of a football game!

Posted by: laloomis | February 7, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Very good, dmd!

I skimmed her speech and was surprised when she said teachers don't have much experience with government. Where I'm from, most teachers are public employees. I'd say I was missing something, but I know better than that.

Posted by: slyness | February 7, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't look like the real world. I was in a two-footer in central Pennsylvania long ago, but mainly recall that the English instructor didn't make it to class.

They don't have snow like that in Wyoming, except maybe for that day in May when I was driving to Billings for an allergy appointment....

As for palm reading, there were a million tea partiers in Nashville and Palin re-did the speech for the multitude on a local hillside, but the media didn't cover it. I hear she even appeared to another million on the Mall in the midst of the snowstorm. There won't be a single gum wrapper on the grass when the snow melts, but maybe a few husky dog droppings.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 7, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

TBG: I don't know about that. There are folks I'd trust with my money and/or my safety who have always laughed at my quaint political beliefs, and I theirs. And genetically I come from solid GOP stock, as PaterJS often reminds me.

I'm OK with that. "All Agreeing, All the Time" is not a compelling raison de blog.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Caps/Penguins game, the pictures of DC are very nice. Good to see the Penguins were able to make it from Montreal yesterday.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

How tall is Mt. Crumpit?

"Three thousand feet up! Up the side of Mount Crumpit,
He rode to the tiptop to dump it!"

Posted by: laloomis | February 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You're right, MsJS... I shouldn't have said "true" Republican, because the "true" Republicans are the folks I don't have a problem with.

It's this crop of "faux" Republicans... the conservative, right-wing, Bushies who believe that saying it makes it true.

You are a perfect example of why All Agreeing All the Time is not the Way of the Achenblog. You have the perfect way of saying, "I hear you and understand what you're saying but don't agree." That's why I, for one, am so glad you found us here and decided to stick around. Always glad to hear your point of view.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh, ooooh, MSJS. What wit and common sense you have!:

***

Mid-week, I should make a note to myself to talk a little bit more about a recent Chris Hedge's (former Princeton jounrlism profesoor) essay re: happiness/dissent. But the entire household is up and around now, so I've stuff to do.

Posted by: laloomis | February 7, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Here in MN we got pretty complacent with our clean government and generally progressive politics. Every typical pol, regardless of party, was a bit left of center on at least one or two issues-if not most when compared to the rest of the nation. The facts were the facts and the sparks flew over philosophy and proposed solutions to problems. Then Michele Bachmann emerged (crawled out from under a rock?). The world is at sixes and sevens.

Woke up last night when Mr. F sent a message from Afghanistan and the BBC was playing snippets of Palin's speech. Was very disconcerting to realize I was not "only a bad dream."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm not even gonna ask, LiT... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

*where are my manners?*
*mega-blush*

Mr. A, the photos and captions are wonderful. Thank you so much for supplying. I hope the Weber is feeling less traumatized in the daylight.

Palisade-jumping reminds me of jumping off a local bluff as a kid into leaf piles. (Not sure why MaterJS let us do that, actually, but it was loads of fun.)

Any word on how the guy who got whacked by the giant windshield wiper is doing?

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. From the Capital Weather Gang...

Next Chance of Accumulating Snow: Tuesday P.M.-Wednesday
Probability of Accumulating Snow (1" or more): 75%

Barely into the clean-up stage -- and before snow lovers can even come down off their "Snowmageddon" high -- we've got another possibly disruptive storm to track. A system expected to move through during the latter part of Tuesday and into Wednesday has the potential to once again put down some significant accumulation -- maybe several inches -- of snow or a snow/sleet mix...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I am loving the pictures Joel, thanks! Hope you rescued the Weber.

We're gearing up for a Superbowl party at a friend's house. Way too much meat products and alcohol but much fun will be had by all.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

That sounds delightful, MotP. Enjoy your party! The game will be over at a reasonable hour where you live.

Posted by: -pj- | February 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

pj - yup, that's the one advantage of being in the last US timezone, we get to watch national events in the daylight hours.

Preparing the pork loin wrapped in applewood smoked bacon for the grill. Pork, pork and more pork!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Daughter has nearly finished the driveway by herself. Wow. She's in the running for Favorite Child (ranks in the top two!). She's already Favorite Daughter, of course.

A friend of hers was just dropped off. This girl lives out in the boonies here, in one of those houses with a looooong uphill driveway. They've had no power for two days, but got the generator running last night. Since they're on well and septic, it means more than just no heat, TV and Internet.

Now we're getting ready to venture out. Since Daughter just cleared the driveway, there's no reason to expect her to walk to the Safeway this time.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

As I type this I am watching the Kitty Halftime Show of the Puppy Bowl.

In case anyone has figured it out, I do not control the television. But this is were the comfy chair is. You know, the one that works really well with the heating pad.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. The Puppy Bowl now has color commentary. Or is it play by play? Sorta hard to tell.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Driveway cleared. Time-lapse photography probably completed (although the tripod is still in place, ready for the next "event"). Went out to walk the ScienceKids with the dog. The snow is very, very deep. After I recover from my walk, my iPod and I will go to start clearing the street -- after all, when the plow finally gets here (probably some time late tomorrow), they'll be pushing all that snow up into my handiwork. It may help if I can get some of that snow delivered high up into the yards before it happens.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 7, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Joel, this is a perfect time to "cold smoke" certain food items such as Gouda cheese.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 7, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

The Puppy bowl you are watching must be a re-run Padouk. It is shown in counterprogramming to the Uber-bowl. I've reviewed each team line-up and concluded it's a non-competive event. Competitive teams would be packed with Mastiffs, Newfies, Dogue de Bordeaux and other pugnacious giant breeds. Rather, both teams are filled with cute fluff. Sheesh.

At least you got some work done for the food you lost Mudge. My fridge was raided by the Locusts (the Fungi & friends) and yet all that beer, pizza, cheese and Mexican meatloaf produced no net work (i.e. force applied x distance). EYE even picked up the empties.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 7, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Unfair! The US is getting the Puppy Bowl 3 hours earlier!

Some highlights are streamed here.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 7, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Federal gummint is closed tomorrow.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the DC feds are closed Monday:

Posted by: -pj- | February 7, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I am pleased to see that TBG, since there is no way I am getting out of the development. Unless, of course, they send a helicopter.

But I probably shouldn't give them any ideas.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

still at work,getting readfy to do a superbowl party in the lobby. Go Saints!!!
So far the sports day in going well. Caps storm back to nip the penguins in OT,Maryland crushes UNC,so hopefully the trifecta will continue with the Saints winning.

All the shovels were in use when I dug out my car.I used half a shovel(broken but effective) and a recycle trash can.One more shift tonight,then I can go home and shovel some more.....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Moments from end of curling championship. Incredibly close game. Oh the stress.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I almost can't watch.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

They are going to an extra end. I don't know if I will survive this.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Moved some wires and cables and am very excited. My ants are nearer the window and I have better reception than ever on CBS. (Looks HiDef compared to before)

I'M GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL.

Who dat gonna beat dem SAINTS

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Darn that Padouk for letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I was going to bet you on the outcome of the puppy bowl, shriek!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry TBG. But you can bet me. Because I don't think the winning puppies can pull it off twice.

(An oldie but a goodie...)

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

unbleivabe One more shot.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

need to breathe but can't

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Rats. PEI did not win. Football would be a piece of cake after this.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the pictures and accompanying witticisms, Boss!

Here's today's Dave Barry Super Bowl article:

Posted by: kbertocci | February 7, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Go Saints! I always like the underdog. Along with rescue dogs...even if they chew...a lot.

Hope everyone has survived the snow-a-thon. Ya'll at least have burned up some calories!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 7, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anything good on TV?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Finished shoveling Mom's driveway a little while ago - I stopped counting how many I've done this weekend, but can't the feeling that my blood was actually pumping through the shovel.

Took a bath to loosen up my muscles, and now I'm ready for the Super Bowl. Munchies, beverages, and remotes -- I'm good to go.

I see the Saints have won the toss -- let's see if they can win after 60 minutes of play.

Picked the Colts, but my heart goes with the Saints. Of course my Eyetalian Catholic soul practically demands it.

Ooh - nice punt coverage by the Saints.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Doritos Dumb, but made me laugh

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching O Brother, Where Art Thou. Let me know when The Who (or what remains of the The Who) are on.

Posted by: seasea1 | February 7, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I like Peyton Manning, so I'm leaning toward the Indy. But if the Saints won, man, that would be one hell of a story between how dismal the Saints were for so long and how much it would mean to the city after Katrina.

I'll enjoy seeing The Who (or at least what's left of them) at halftime. As a former rock critic of the Post said, Pete Townshend has the best right hand in rock.

Posted by: -pj- | February 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

That Bud Light commercial wasn't as funny as SciTim's observatory videos.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

second doritos another laugh

bud just dumb

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Ha! We've been reading each other's mail, seasea.

Posted by: -pj- | February 7, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

coca cola dumb
godaddy started good dumb ending

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Cars.com commercial: creepy

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm not liking this CBS production. Too much music, drowns out commentary. Not a fan of this broadcast team, anyway.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Did Joel ever deal with the Grinch?

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.. not a fan of CBS here. But I do like this team, they're not afraid to not be talking. And I'm so glad Chris Collingsworth isn't on. Collingsworth is the Dick Vitale of NFL broadcasting.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

The Letterman commercial was cute.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Two commercials in a row featuring guys in tighty whiteys. Worst Super Bowl trend ever.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

The Bud ads used to be good, so far tonight they have been terrible. Maybe the Clydesdales wanted to many oats?

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

SCC: too many oats

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Dove 4 Men

whoa, talk about creepy

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Do they really need commercials advertising the halftime show? Didn't sell all the ad time?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Bud stinks
end times
me thinks

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY!!! Tried to sign in about a gajillion times but it kept asking me to register!!! :-OOOO

The ads have been less than staggering this year.

As was that attempted reverse.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

The ads have been terribly derivative so far.

Or just unfunny.

Apart from Betty White and Abe Vigoda!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

And I knew someone would make a SciTim comment about the Bud Light ad. *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

106.7 FM is airing 35 seconds behind CBS. What's up with that.

I guess they must be watching on satellite.

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

The Dodge commercial was... meh.

Telefora -- derivative again.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Dodge commercial was kind of sh!tty.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Sanchez PSA...

Dr. Pepper, not so much.

Punxatawney Polamalu, kinda in the middle.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Excuse my language.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Drew Brees and a handful of great receivers, and they run?

TBG, no argument on the Dodge ad.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

dang even I thought that play was telegraphed

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

seasea, halftime coming up in a few minutes

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought that FLOTV commercial was insulting

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Dodge Charger and the phone TV commercial featured emasculated men. Second worst trend.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Intel needs new writers...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: seasea1 | February 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

UMCP closed on Monday. Am recovering from shovelfest. Glad to report that CPboy and friends shoveled two walks/drives/cars for the elderly and refused payment. They did charge two other people in the 32-40 age group. One of them payed so poorly that he should be ashamed of himself.

And, he has NO neighbor chits in the community chest...

Not watching the game But GO SAINTS. THose TurnColts have not done penance enough for leaving Balto.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Yello, about the commercials featuring men without pants. More of those and I'm switching to radio.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Dramatic squirrel... is dramatic.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Topher?

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

True exchange:

Me: How'd they get Leno to do that?
She: Money.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I bet the folks who paid big bucks for that second pantsless-men commercial were pretty annoyed that it followed another pantsless-men commercial.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Topper's real name is Reppot (French pronunciation).

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I bet most of the viewing audience is just pretty annoyed there were any pantsless-men commercials.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Manning and Brees threw something like 67 touchdowns between them during the regular season and we have --one-- in the first half.

Crowd noise is coming in too loud on my feed. CBS needs to make some technical adjustments at half time.

I kind of liked the Snickers commercial, the rest seemed a cut below the usual fare.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't they usually air the 'best' ads during the first half? If that is true, the second half ads are going to be worse than awful.

Why do these analysts have to yell?

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse corrects me...

Dramatic PRAIRIE DOG... is dramatic.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I will admit to not watching much NFL football in the last decade, but what is the over/under on Doritos references and product placement - holly overkill. Most of the commercials here are Olympics promos or BC tourism - I like it :-)

The Who!!!! should be better than the first half, snoozer.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

why are these five guys shouting into their microphones
why are those five guys not eating Doritos

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Why do the commentators shout to each other? They do have microphones, don't they?

(I just tuned in the half-time show. Thanks, RD_P.)

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

CBS is having MAJOR audio issues... *SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"sure plays a mean pinball!"

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I wish they were lip-syching.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Roger's in fine voice... Now if the *&#$^&$@#%^^% mix would catch up...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"I don't need to be forgiven!"

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Somehow I knew the Who was going to do "Pinball Wizard" somewhere in there. Ah, "Baba O' Reilly" with windmills - better.

Now, if they do "Behind Blue Eyes," I'll be all good.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't they be singing "middle-age wasteland" instead?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

"they're all wasted!"

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god. You are so right rickoshea. They so totally bite. It's almost makes me miss Janet Jackson.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Why do they keep cutting to the drummer?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, the theme song from CSI! ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Had to laugh out at the "You're all *wasted*!" shout-out-loud.

OK, I pumped my fist, too.

Hmmm. I'd dig a bit of "Eminence Front," too.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I had to point out to NukeSpouse that Pete's ears aren't what they used to be...

I think South Beach gave up more than a few LEDs for that stage...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention that The Who was my favorite band in college? Not that you could tell...

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

They sound better now.

I've always loved the theme to CSI.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

yello... they keep cutting to the drummer because the director and camera men have no idea who these old men are.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

C'mon boys, smash those perfectly good guitars and kick over the drumset.

Y'know you want to.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice of them to put the "countdown to the 2nd half" clock right behind Roger...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Scottynuke. I was under the impression that his ear damage limited him to acoustic performances.

Evidently, they made this worth his while.

MsJS - I loved The Who when I was in college as well. I saw them in 1981 and they were fantastic.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

"And the beards have all grown longer overnight"

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

We know the hyptnotized never lie....

... do ya?!

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. The whole performance seems kind of flat.

At least last year (wasn't it?) Bruce Springsteen had the decency to slide into a cameraman.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but I hope the SB producers don't get fooled again...

Roger used to be able to hit that scream without need for FX. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I think they kept cutting to the drummer to appeal to young people. If Roger were a US citizen he'd be eligible for Medicare.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 7, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

The audience sounds better than the band.

I just heard from my daughter that one of the commentators is her high school friend, Cecil Martin.

He was the one driving while out cruising when they were 14 at a friend's house. Unbeknown to me, the parents were not home at the time.

By the time the kids were entering the driveway, they saw the parents just coming home.

They were all thrown out at 1 pm. My daughter called me at 1 am from the 7/11 to ask me to pick them up.

Seven girls slept over that night.

Later, when the story about the joy ride came out, and I asked her where she was when this was happening, thinking that of course she hadn't gone along. She said, "In the back seat."

Cecil was a sweet kid. I'm so happy that he's successful after his football career was over.

!

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

A commercial for March Madness? wow... they really did have trouble selling ad time, didn't they?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Waaaaaaaaay too many promos to keep the CBS accountants happy...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The who was awesome. not as awesome as live at JFK circa 1984, but I liked it.

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad none of them coded onstage.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

SCC(as usual). I meant 1 a.m.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like anthems of anti-corporate paranoia being played in the middle of a football game bracketed by snack chip and beer commercials.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

A promo for the NEWS DIVISION????

And that movie trailer does less than nothing for me.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow... they've even got the little girls acting like shrews in these commercials. How low can they go?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The original Dramatic Hamster just in case you are not up on your played out internet memes:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

try screaming hard rock into a mike for fifty years and losing your hearing in the process. The Who was awesome.

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Can Townshend and Daltrey without Moon or Entwistle really be called "The Who"?

Evidently so.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Field looks like it survived the Who fairly well...

And an onside kick!! SAINTS HAVE IT!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice story, RoS.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 7, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

CqP, perhaps the boys should skip Scrooge's walk and driveway next time, or state a firm price to begin.

Remember my park-in-front-of-the-fireplug-in-front-of-my-house and shoot-off-major-fireworks-on-July-4th-over-the-neighbors'-roofs neighbor? Yesterday he plowed his driveway and sidewalks and those of at least 4 other people, mine included. (Last snow I paid his oldest son $20 after he volunteered to help me shovel).

They're all out somewhere at a Super Bowl party. I just baked 5 dozen chocolate chips and hung the bag and a thank you note on their front door.

Ready to fax more to y'all.

Ivansmom, how's it going?

Posted by: -dbG- | February 7, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

rickoshea... love that story. I can only imagine how you felt that night. Did the parents ever explain their reasoning behind kicking all the girls to the curb in the middle of the night?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

SAINTS TD

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

And the onside kick pays off!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

That was one great drive.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 7, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

CP, a story you will appreciate, in situations like that my mom would say our reward is not always in this lifetime. Good for CPBoy and friend.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps it was actually The Who Dat! performing at halftime... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

OK.. Tracy Morgan and Stevie Wonder. That was funny.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

That was a VW ad full of WIN!!!!!

*LOL*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Only original Beetles count for Punch Buggy.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Best commercial yet.

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Phil and Jim need to shut up about how far the onside kick traveled -- IT HIT A COLT FIRST!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

No, TBG, they were widely considered to be stuck up jerks who never really socialized with us plebians. They are both doctors with the God complex that so many of them suffer from.

I'm sure they thought they were justified.

When I arrived they were all sitting on the curb outside the house waiting for me.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

THAT was a great drive, too. Wow.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

MsJS, those muffins are yum, thanks!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 7, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

We seem to have a game at last...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Bridgestone laid an egg with that one...

And the search engine ad... Meh.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The Family Truckster for the win.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Ummmmmmmm, no, Coke, not really.

eTrade gets a chuckle...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, dmd and dbG. Oh, d what they would love about shoveling for you.
Slacker man considers it a real achievement to game everyone. So, he gamed the nice boys. NiceBoys (tm!) will not shovel or mow or walk his greyhound as they have been burned too many times.

The older man on the street dropped of an envelope for me, saying that I am to buy them pizza once the streets are passable.

Enjoying Jeremy Brett in Sherlock rerun.....some Austen stuff to commence at 9....lovely stuff to rest tired back and shoulders on.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 7, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I did like the Mr. Burns Coke commercial earlier in the game. That was cute.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

DNA_Girl: It was my pleasure.

Scottynuke: 'Bout time, too!

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy Schockey and Austen Colley, CquaP? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Bridgestone commercial was horrible. Actually made me wince.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Just looked outside. No pavement visible on downtown streets. Snow that was supposed to start about now rolled in around 2:00PM.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 7, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Coke had nice scenery, but Bolero doesn't seem very African. Maybe something African-American at a walking pace, or even Milhaud's La création du monde?

Awful lot of CBS self-promotion. Das Auto good.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 7, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Census? Comme ci comme ca...

And Google, we know how to use it. *eye roll*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Google wins.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

But, Scottynuke, that google ad was tres cute.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Thought I missed Behind Blue Eyes, but I guess not (they rehearsed it). The drummer was Zak Starkey (Ringo's kid, who I suppose is middle-aged himself by now). No idea who else was playing with them.

Posted by: seasea1 | February 7, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Google

Posted by: Windy3 | February 7, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

The sock monkey "tattoo" was cute, the rest of the Sorrento ad... Eh.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the Google ad was blah and predictable and didn't show anything new. *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Dr G just said, "Ringo must be very proud that his son is playing in the Super Bowl."

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

To the NFL fans:

Thanks, see you after we figure out the next CBA.

Commercials about debt stink.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Is the "debt stinks" commercial just local? Ugh.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, Scott Lee Cohen, the wack job that had won the nomination for Lt. Gov. in Illinois has dropped out of the race. He made the announcement tonight at a bar (where else?).

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I would think so, TBG, and that indicates even the affiliates can't sell SB ad time this year... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Loved the sock monkey.

Parody of the Google ad:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't all that moving around considered offsides or false start?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Stove misses a kick. Who could have seen that coming? Oh yeah, the Baltimore Ravens.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, couldn't figure out that dumb Vizio ad.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse and I just looked at each other:

Emerald/Pop Secret? Noooooo.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

google tres romantic
sorrento liked the mom tat

DrG is funny

I predicted a lower total score than a lot of people. But we still got ten minutes

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Another cameo by Dramatic Prairie Dog. And the Chocolate Rain guy.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge!!

The Vizio ad is meant to suggest you can now see all your Facebook friends on a 42" screen @ 240hz... *raised unibrow*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember ever seeing such uniformly awful ads. Good thing the game is interesting.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm not the only one in and around D.C. who's glad to not have to worry about waking up for work in the morning.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Local ads from the huge BMW dealer (328 for 299/month!!) and relatively elegant but prosaic from City Mattress, which must be a new offshoot of the gigantic City Furniture, whose warehouse/showroom seems big enough to furnish an urban area the size of Washington.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 7, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Yes!! I am a sucker for the underdog team.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Finally! A cute Budweiser ad! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Interspecies Clydesdale romance. That is just sick.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Horses! Predictable but cute.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I kinda think this will be overturned -- he had it and broke the plane.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I say good for two

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

No no, yello... That was a buddy flick.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Whoohoo!

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

The KGB commercial made me giggle.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

That ad was for the love that speaks no shame? (I might have mangled that.)

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

That ad was for the love that speaks no shame? (I might have mangled that.)

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post: senior moment.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Has any SB ever had so many same-network promos???

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

A hatchback sedan? That qualifies as brilliant?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Senor Moment? Wences' neighbor?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

That's Señor Memento, Scotty.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm never buying an Audi

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT was creepy (the Green Police).

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Audi really stretched it there...

And Chuck's rap is... All together now...

Turrrble

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

WOOHOO!!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo wooohooooo

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Senior! Senior!! I said senior!

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

As crappy as that commercial was, you have to love some Cheap Trick.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Now that was awesomer. Go SAINTS!!!!!!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

That was the Saints' "John Riggins moment."

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpouse is screaming in my ear:

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

That was fun. Feeling left out at not being able to comment on the commercials.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Doritos REALLY needs some new writers...

You need new sensors, rickoshea? What?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I will not eat that box.
Not with a fox.
Not with some jocks.

I will not eat it for a buck.
No, I will not eat it, Sir Chuck.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bud Light...

Stick with the house made of Bud.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

What a pretty interception!

But Doritos should have quit after the anti-barking collar commercial.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking, yello, that if you tried to buy that box o' food at an NBA game, it would cost about $25, non?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I said census?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Where is the cutaway to a live shot of the French Quarter, surely CBS has someone there - now that would be a party.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

My strategy worked. I picked the Colts, but I'm rooting for the Saints. Either way, I win!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Not really sure what I think about the screaming chickens. They're kind of growing on me.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Very beautiful play. I was hoping for an interception all game. Sweet.

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm so nervous, it's like that Pats are playing.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

SCC: it's like the Pats - I'm so nervous, I can't type.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*breath*
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Wowzer! Saints win! That's GREAT!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Yipee, yay, yahoo!

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

dmd's right... where are the shots of Bourbon Street?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee you if Canada makes it too the Gold medal game, there will be cameras across the country for cut aways.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's your Bourbon Street shot.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

So what channel is the Puppy Bowl on?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

...and Scotty wins the Super Bowl tiara!!!!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Who dat, indeed!

Posted by: bobsewell | February 7, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else completely disinclined to consider FloTV at this point?

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to sacrifice the tiara for a Saints win! Wear it well, Scotty... you look mahvelous!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Very impressive! New Orleans is definitely rolling tonight! And tomorrow, too!

Posted by: -pj- | February 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Actually, after some thought, the phrase is "the love that dares not say its name."

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 7, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to thank the Boodle for helping the Saints to their win!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Good god little Brees is adorable.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Da baby Brees has earphones!!! :-))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, TBG, I think the Denny's commercials were pretty effective. That is, they actually did the things commercials are supposed to do. And besides. They had a silent screaming chicken in space.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Given that New Orleans intended to score twenty-five points in the second half of the game, it was actually rather decent of them to allow Indianapolis to get a few in the first half so that it didn't look so bad.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 7, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I saw one really tiny shot of Bourbon Street. Just one.

DMD is right. Multiple shots. over and over again!

Posted by: --dr-- | February 7, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

All you Saints fans, congrats!

Seeing Brees with his young son, eyes full of tears as he takes in the moment, that's an image that's going to stay with me for awhile.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 7, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I really enjoyed that game. The commercials, not so much.

And did anyone else think the "controversial" Tebow commercial was a lot of fuss about nothing?

And that the Census commercial was a lot of money for nothing?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Scottynuke!

ix-nay on the eaming-scray icks-chay.

Doritos ads were No-eat-o.

Why were so many ads aimed at 10 to 14 year old boys, when that is not the SB viewing demographic?

Great game, though.

Posted by: MsJS | February 7, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

The early-AM shuttle launch is once again at the mercy of low clouds. Looks about 60% go at the moment.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 7, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, there was a Tebow commercial? I thought that was just a home movie...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

In tribute to the Super Bowl champions:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Payton's baseball hat has spikey hair growing on top of it! Way cool!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 7, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The *worst* commercial, I thought, was the Bridgestone one. It really left me cold.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Jim Nantz wins the ugly tie contest.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow did her broadcast from New Orleans Friday and said that the city was planning a parade on Tuesday whether the Saints won or lost. That says a lot about how they feel about their team. Knowing that, I'm even more happy that they won.

Yeah, the ads were awful with a few not so bad. I still like the Bette White one at the beginning. The chickens were stupid altho' the one in space was cute.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 7, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the best commercial is a tie between the Stevie Wonder "punch VW" and the Snickers Bette White/Abe Vigoda. :-)

Buenos Gnocchis, Boodle, and fondue.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 7, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Capitals win their 14th(!) straight game, over the defending Cup champions no less. Saints win the big one for the first time ever, in one of the bigger upsets among recent Superbowl match-ups. I finally got my car dug out of the snow.

All in all, not a bad day.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 7, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Saints

and Scotty (post season Tiara
and Mudge (regular season Tiara

I'll be proudly wearing gaudy beads

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Saints: A team owned by the San Antonio Bensons, managed by a Loomis, with a QB from San Diego--and throw in Charlemagne's fleur de lis as a logo--and based in New Orleans.

What's not to like?

Great job, Saints!!!

Posted by: laloomis | February 7, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

At lest there was a game. A good one too. Canadian ads suck$. We got the olympic CTV pizza on for half the game. I wish I could punch the four guy on the couch/bobsleigh on the nose, they deserve it. We can't rely on the ads to be entertained; the game matters.

Good call TBG. I was looking for a place to put some money in when I discovered the streamed video. The fluffy ones won, of course. One day someone will understand. And it will be Dogues de Bordeaux wall to wall.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 7, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you throw at me omni, I'm not taking off my shirt.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 7, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree on the commercials SD, but I didn't mind the promos. That footlong commercial drove me insane though.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 7, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I did not know the Saints were supposed to be the underdog. As I expected, they rode those Colts, man.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 7, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

"And it will be Dogues de Bordeaux wall to wall."
There will be grids installed to drain off the slobber, stalagtites and other bodily fluids.
Games will last 10 minutes to let the contestants breath a bit.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 7, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

i rarely watch the nfl'ers, 'cept those occasions when the Panthers are playing well. watching the SB is usually a waste of time. imo, the POTG was the on sides kick to open the second half. NO didn't seem to be able to do much to stop the Colts, and until Manning threw the int, i thought it'd go to the wire. great game. didn't see man of the ads, but the VW ad was best, chickens 2nd, the sumo wrestler ad and the etrade ad, 3rd and 4th. 36 hrs and we still have 4 pups. we're supplementing the biddy, hoping to get her through the 48 hr. window. i feel like if she makes it through tomorrow, she's ILF.

Posted by: -jack- | February 7, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Coke "Bolero" ad was rather strange...but for the highbrows, the Simpson ad at least showed a Warhol and a piece of Michelangelo's ceiling painting. *w*

Posted by: laloomis | February 7, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Home video time. Here is a bobcat clearing snow off my street this afternoon:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

And since I totally stole the idea from SciTim, here are my time-stamped photos from my front door put in a video and set to music:

I didn't use a tripod, so Tim's will be much more polished.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

it was a second half Saints game for sure

the Saints surely did stop the Colts (one of the highest scorers this season stopped at 17

game won without the int unless you go in for that whole momentum thing

Posted by: omnigood | February 7, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Nice that the Saints won. Karma matters.

yellojkt, I like your snow video, especially the jaunty, jazzy music. Who is that?

Posted by: seasea1 | February 7, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Seasea,
Don't know. It's some of the canned public royalty free music that came with Premiere Elements. I got tired of having my videos yanked for copyright violations.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 7, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

yello -- it is really neat what you kids can whip up in that workshop in the garage!

I really thought the video was great.

And It reminded me of why we fled Falls Church at full speed after the big storm of 95-96. All that snow, and ice dams on the front of the town house, and we remembered we grew up in California.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 8, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Loved your video Yello. Cool pictures. Totally stuffed from the SB party and hoarse from cheering for the Saints. A satisfying day all around, well except for the Who halftime show...

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 8, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Have a warm and safe Monday. Those of you who get to stay home, enjoy the day!

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 8, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Watched Endeavor from the neighborhood park. Perfectly clear night, impressive glow on the horizon preceding the bright orange rocket. At about 42 degrees, jacket was essential. Back to bed.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 8, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. Nobody canceled work for me. I have to go undo what the snow plow did a half hour after I moved my car to the driveway.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 8, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

MidPac, what? you didn't like the Who's K-Tel hafttime show?

Posted by: russianthistle | February 8, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. Hi Cassandra, hope you are warm and comfortable this morning! Gonna take the walk in a little while, I have no excuses not to get out and exercise.

Loved the photos, yello.

I hope you folks get to dig out today, and that there's no more tomorrow. Enough, already!

Today's task is to go with the rest of the team to purchase the ingredients for supper Wednesday night at church. Chicken supreme and red velvet cupcakes, it will be good. I'm unpaid labor in this group and happy to be there! Our bakery shop owner will make the cupcakes and they will be a special treat for Valentine's Day. It's always fun to get a meal together with this crowd.

Posted by: slyness | February 8, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. JA, the pictures are just really wonderful, yet I know the conditions cannot make for a happy life. I don't know, after two days of snow, I want it to all go away. Stay warm, and keep safe.

I didn't see the Super Bowl, but the commercial with the little boy and the mom's suitor was funny. I know, serious overtones of sex and violence aren't the best things, but the kid was cute as a button. I think it was the Doritos commercial?

We're getting ready for school this morning. Yesterday was just beautiful, bright and sunny, not too cold, and we got a chance to go to Sunday school and morning worship service. The g-girl is with a group of young girls called "Butterflies". The Butterflies go around to nursing homes, visit the sick, singing and just bringing cheer. She loves it, and all the little girls seem to enjoy themselves. It's a wonderful chance for them to get out and do good stuff.

Mudge, Martooni, Yoki, Scotty, Lindaloo, and all the gang, have a great day despite the snow.

Slyness, the weather here has been wonderful, hope that's the case for your neck of the woods. I'm still on the crutches, and haven't started my treatment yet, don't know what the hold-up could be, unless they're waiting on money.Oops!

Posted by: cmyth4u | February 8, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I see the whole "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" franchise should have been happy with a one-off. The latest attempt:

"Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter"

*eye roll*

Another brilliant, clear, almost-too-bright-with-all-the-snow sunrise... and I'm sure there's more shoveling to do somehwere.

*trying-to-fix-my-tiara-hair-(I-really-know-better-than-to-sleep-with-it-on)-and-reaching-for-the-naproxen Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Had to go out to take my wife to work this morning, and the roads were awful. Six-lane Rt. 301 was OK, but anything off the main drag was really bad. Even the parking lot at 7_11 was awful (gotta have priorities, ya know).

So am happy to stay home and write today. D3 is trapped here and is anxious to do some cooking. She wants to do cheddar and bacon biscuits for dinner, along with a pork loin and veggies. I have no objection to such youthful exuberance.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 8, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra!! *HUGSSSSSSSS* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, man. Just heard weather forecast. They are calling for 5 to 10 inches more tomorrow night/Wednesday.

Un-expletive-believable.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 8, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm now hearing people suggesting the Who were lip-syncing... I think those people are just making up something to talk about. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

America's Cup washes out in Spain

check out this boat... that's the new crazy rules for you (or is it no rules)

Well this is one better ... BMW Oracle

That's a trimaran that won't fit under the Ch. Bay Bridge.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 8, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle! We are expecting 6-9" of snow between now and noon tomorrow. Yuck, but quite manageable, looks like about 2" on the ground already. I have to venture north today but am headed out of the worst of the weather and will allow 6 hours to make the 4 hour drive.

Still can't get over the game. Not a die hard NFL fan, but I could be if gutsy moves like the Saints' coach used were not quite so rare.

Later gators!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 8, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Still no snowplow. And more snow on the way? Perhaps I should consider hibernation.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 8, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Capehart is as insightful as ever:

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

For Imom and RD -- Winterbells, a game that features a bunny.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

And Shales was suprised by Leno and Letterman together with Oprah??? That was SO predictable and derivative of the last Letterman/Oprah spot. *shrug*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Scotty -- Snowriding for you, sorta like skiing, but with a bear.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

OK, now it's getting serious:

"Channels 4 (WRC-TV) and 9 (WUSA) are reporting that a section of flat roof at Fire Station 10 collapsed at about 3 a.m., apparently giving way under the weight of more than two feel of snow that fell over the weekend. Eighteen firefighters who were sleeping in another part of the firehouse were woken by the noise and left the firehouse safely, officials said. They were scattered to other stations for the remainder of their shifts.

The firehouse is just off Columbia Pike, west of Route 7, in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. Channel 4 reported that the structure is 30 years old but the roof was replaced 12 years ago."

This is on top of the hangar collapse at Dulles!
:-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that Winterbells link CP! The music is endearing as well.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 8, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

SD -- in French

Her Tintin puppets are my favorite puppety things, even more than Julie Taymor' work.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

RD - the homepage of that website is chock full of sweet=nearly-to -nausea-but-not-really short games. Sort of like a gummy bear world but in pastel soft focus.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

S'nuke, it's not a baseball hat. Wearing it backwards just doesn't work.

Congrats.

Posted by: LostInThought | February 8, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

From Capehart:

'Palin brought the Tea Partiers in Nashville to their feet with belittling put-downs of President Obama, including calling him "a charismatic guy with a TelePrompTer."'

Talk about pots and kettles.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 8, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering about snow loads while boodling yesterday. If you do go up to remove snow from your roof, wear a harness tied to something sturdy.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 8, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Here is a little something to appeal to those not really interested in the Winter Olympics - the Science behind some of the winter olympic sports.

I should say the likelihood of me being on topic unless Joel writes about the Winter Olympics over the next few weeks, slim to none, I will understand the scroll on by behaviour :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | February 8, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Sex, violence, and kids cute as a button.

Sounds like a winning if creepy sitcom plot.

"Who's the Soprano?"
"CSI: Growing Pains"
"NYPD Blue: Eight is Enough"
"The Bones Bunch" (spin-off from Bones)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 8, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

DMD -- I love the WinterOlys. Keep the stuff coming. In the sociology of them, ain't the Norwegians something? About 4 million people and they rule so many of the ski based events. Helps that they have rocky soil, mountains, etc.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I think they strap little babies onto skis up there, CQP.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 8, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

That terrain thing may explain that the Dutch are good skaters.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 8, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Yes, definitely a way of life CP. Like us and hockey. We are attempting to take on the Norwegians in overall medal count this time (US as well) hoping they succeed, considerable money was spent to do this and the benefits have paid off over the last few years but all most people and government will care about are Olympic results, a shame because our elite athletes have proven over the last few years what money (and really just over a dollar a citizen per year) can do to increase the quality of our athlete over many sports. I understand people question the legitimacy of this, but for every elite athlete there are hundred or thousands of athletes, improving their health, determination, leadership, perseverance, knowledge and staying out of trouble. They may never become elite athletes but can learn skills that will be useful in the future. As would funding for the Arts and Sciences as well - also worthy endeavours and sadly overlooked.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 8, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

My dad strapped me onto skis as soon as I could run properly (about 4, I think)...

Then again, he'd been a Ski Patrolman for years prior, so he was well-positioned to step in if necessary. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 8, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Think that it will be chili for breakfast again. Worked for yesterday.

Very productive.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 8, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Because of in-laws from the land of ice and snow, I can say yes: they do strap them in. Also, the Norwegies have a big inferiority complex against (under?) the Swedes and Danes. Either the S or D ruled them for years and years. The did not have good agriculture due to the terrain. But, now my goodness they have the North Sea oil and are not really in the EU.

The winter sport thing -- and resistance against the Nazis -- are points of nearly daily national pride in one generation and perhaps half of another. Also, hardanger fiddle and embroidery and something called rosemaling, that is very much like Penny Dutch tole paiting.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I remember old Norwegian style skiers in MT growing up. I think that somebody should study the change from telemark and long-sweeps down the mountain to the mogul-mounded stuff of today.

I remember skiing in MT for the last time -- Bridger Bowl. The next year we were in CA. I went up for the day to China Peak in the Sierras. On the lift, looking at the sculptured runs and all the bright yellow and orange suited skiers apostrophe-ing down the mountains...seemed like aliens of some sort.

As I type, CPBOy is upstairs in bed but playing Here Comes the Sun on an acoustic guitar.....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 8, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse