The Snowmaggedon snowcap

blizzard 3 of 2010 winter connecticut ave.jpg

Connecticut Avenue and K Street, Washington DC, 9 a.m. Feb. 10, 2010. This picture was taken by my friend Geoff, who is driving with my friend Angus downtown to ensure that there aren't a lot of foolhardy motorists on the streets. The latest bulletin from the National Weather Service says that, whatever you do, you should not drive in this weather, and that if you do, stupidly, decide to drive, you should be prepared to become disoriented, stranded, very cold and then overcome with a feeling of ennui. Then you should make that last phone call back home, telling whoever answers to remember to return the videos.

IMG_0110.JPG

They say the Eskimos have 40 words for snow. In Washington we now have just the one. It's an expletive. Rhymes with luck.

IMG_0112.JPG

It was fun for a while. It was quaint. Then it became a chore. Then it became a bootheel to the face. I no longer believe in Spring. They said it's less than six weeks away. They lied. That's the kind of world we live in. They lied and lied and lied about Spring. Just like they lied about love.

IMG_0102.JPG

The Safeway last night. This is the milk and juice section. Hmmmm....what am I in the mood for....I think maybe I'll get some apple juice.

Herewith, a tale of blizzard opportunism.

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 10, 2010; 9:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The new snowcialism
Next: A Blizzard Country bestiary

Comments

Testing...

Posted by: joelache | February 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Looks bad there, Joel, for DCites and folks in Merryland. However, I am reminded of the blizzards that blew through Tahoe. We hunkered down. So, I guess I can say, "Happy Hunkering"?

Glad to see comments back up. Tried to post this about 15 minutes ago:

Who gets the Palme D'or prize today? Do you think Gibbs should Cannes his mockery of Palin? Let me propose a new Gibbs' scribbled palm list:

Yesterday:
eggs
milk
bread (crossed out)
hope
change

Today:
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Iraq
hope (crossed out) substitute: Haqqani
change (crossed out) substitute: China

To ABC's Jon Karl: Great reporting last night from West Texas about Cielo.

Good world news from beyond the Beltway (or should that be south of the Beltway)?:

Brazil to pass out 65 million free prophylactics to partiers, also known as condoms for Carnival:

Here it's gray and overcast. The high is expected to be about 43 degrees, with some rain, and possibly a little sleet. Good day for a movie and a little review. *w*

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!

The Boodle appears to be back. Man, I've missed it since my last post yesterday was eaten without publication. Not that I remember what I said, but still, you know. . . .

I did get out yesterday (thankfully) to get some groceries. Rockville Pike wasn't so bad, although there were some snow ridges through which I had to navigate.

But, yes, I agree. The novelty has indeed worn off. I'm *expletive* TIRED of this. Can't even switch channels to change the scenery.

*grumble* *expletive* *grumble*

And, Hey everyone! Missed you!

Posted by: -ftb- | February 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Power so far in CPark. Hope this sticks; the power I mean. The snow is sticking, big time.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the splendid pictures the last few days, Joel. I trust the picture of Downtown DC Blizzard in the Kit was sent to you by cellphone or some other technology; surely you weren't joining Angus et al on the Trip of Fools.

Having had our own blizzard at Christmas, I'm delighted to live vicariously through yours today. I hope everyone has power and remains indoors. As I recently promised, I'll send Beatrice with a cask of brandy for stragglers. However, lagomorph rescue is an inexact science and bunny brandy comes in small doses.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

In California this winter has brought us welcome relief from drought. The Sierra snowpack is about 150% of normal, which is welcome news, a contrast to the dismal economic news. Drought brings another set of costly problems. Spring has been delayed but I'm certain that the plums and almonds will pop next week. Spring always follows winter and the jet stream travels west to east.

Stay warm and pray that this digging out is the last one.

Posted by: edbyronadams | February 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Part two of my Salinger Film Festival is 'The Royal Tennenbaums' loosely inspired by the Glass family. Angelica Huston looks good in anything.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

JK -- AH inhabited Clara nicely in Lonesome Dove.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all. The Safeway snapshot reminds me how thankful I am that I keep a big box of powdered milk with my baking stuff. We use milk primarily for hot/cold cereal, works fine. Shopping yesterday was able to find bananas, a big staple in The House of Burgesses.

Still snowing in Vienna, wind has calmed down, we have power. At this time I am grateful to be warm, dry and not hungry.

Channel 4 (local NBC) Channel 504 on our Cable has a pretty pink reporter camped out in Vienna, said Vienna Inn provided her with a good breakfast. Magruders, Whole Foods and Starbucks are open.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

They lied about love?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wohoo. Things are looking up. Our power has just returned after a two hour outage, and the Achenblog has become unfrozen.

Still, we aren't assuming that the power will remain on. We aren't ready to let the fire go out quite yet. The blankets tacked up to contain the heat will remain in place for a while yet.

Although there is still a lot of wind, new snow accumulation is less than six inches and the snow is light. I will venture out in a few hours to shovel again.

But it could be worse. I like to remember that. It could always be worse.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Morning, Boodle.

Snow, snow, blowing snow.

We bumped our heat up just in case the power goes out. Might keep the house warmer for a few minutes longer.

Posted by: Moose13 | February 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

My husband and I have made a vacation of sorts of the last two days: slept in late, attended Dustin Lance Black's entertaining, timely and thought-provoking presentation at Trinity University on Monday night, ate two dinners out, saw two movies.

Monday we saw "Crazy Heart" at the cowboy-themed cineplex very close to us, and last night we ventured more toward the center of San Antonio to Cinemark, where we saw "The Hurt Locker." We didn't realize that our tickets for "Locker" would cost only one dollar apiece, so we saw the movie for less than it would cost to rent a DVD. You get what you pay for.

We had gone to a movie at Cinemark years ago, and had forgotten the long-ago movie experience at this particular location. Last night, the experience was perhaps more like seeing a movie in Baghdad than in San Antonio. The floors looked like WWII vintage, the arms of the chairs, with their cupholders, didn't rise up or down, the seats had little or no padding or stuffing and were hard and very uncomfortable. The women's restroom was in a deplorable state, each bowl stuffed with wastes. (Yes, graphic, YMMV.)

On to "Locker" a little bit later.

My husband partially installed our new built-in microwave yesterday morning--tools sprawled everywhere on a moving blanket laid across our kitchen floor. My husband didn't take the right measurements initially for the trim kit he had to special order, along with the microwave. The trim kit he'd ordered is 24" (and is nonreturnable and nonrefundable, according to my husband) so yesterday in the early afternoon he had to go online to order a 27" trim kit. So the new built-in microwave is the newest member of our household, part of the wild bunch's Butchered Measurement's "Hole in the Wall" Gang.

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Since the previous boodle has been toe-tagged, I will recreate my lost response to DotC about airports:

As any veteran of the DOS version of Flight Simulator can tell you, Midway Airport right on Lake Michigan is the best place to fly out of if you want to buzz the Sears Tower. You can fly from BWI to Midway for $82 each way on Southwest's Gotta Get Away fare. That is if Chicago is where you want to get away to from Baltimore this time of year. Or vice versa.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Greetings!

Glad to have the new (and functioning) kit, Mr. A. Thanks!

The blizzard opportunism link was a riot. Very cunning of Verizon to send salaried managers out to drum up new revenue. All it takes is one irate customer named Max with a shovel in hand and:
bang, bang, Maxwell's silver shovel came down on his head...

Posted by: MsJS | February 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge! Hey Your Vintage Ladyship! Hey CP!

*trying to remember what crocuses look like*

Posted by: -ftb- | February 10, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Hi, ftb. Glad to see you are surviving the BlizzardS of 2010 (I insist upon pluralising Blizzards, yanno. We had more than one.)

yello, ain't nobody flying out of Balmer today EXCEPT in a flight simulator.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Mudge, they lied about love. It's not always a good thing. Take "love" in tennis for instance. Then there's Courtney Love. And of course who can forget "LOVE STINKS" by the J. Geils Band-

You love her
But she loves him
And he loves somebody else
You just can't win
And so it goes
Till the day you die
This thing they call love
It's gonna make you cry
I've had the blues
The reds and the pinks
One thing for sure

(Love stinks)
Love stinks yeah yeah
(Love stinks)
Love stinks yeah yeah
(Love stinks)
Love stinks yeah yeah
(Love stinks)
Love stinks yeah yeah

Posted by: kguy1 | February 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

ftb, I have an indoor lavender plant I would love to share with you. It's about 30 inches tall and just finished blooming. The fragrance from the leaves and stems is a reminder of Spring/Summer. Also, dear little ole aunt sends bulb each Christmas of flower I never can remember the name of. I potted it and it has the orangey red three blooms, bright on the white of the winter windowsill.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Chairman, I rise to ask a procedural question. Is it too soon to begin speculating about whether they will close the gummint tomorrow? 'Cuz methinks they ain't gonna get this mess cleared up by tomorrow morning (especially since it's still in mid-tempest).

No way we work tomorrow. No. Freaking. Way.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

hey, snowbirds.

it's a tad chilly over here right now, too. (heheheh) no really, it is about 40 degrees, which is cold for here.

stay warm and may the power grid be with you...

Posted by: LALurker | February 10, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ready to head outside for the sisyphean shoveling.

The snow blowing past my living room window looks like a Hollywood special effect, and it's howling again.

Working from home today, but noticed references in YesterBoodle to the late, great Error Flynn, and his Tiki Bar. Was fortunate to not only have a few drinks in the Tiki Bar in his back yard but to enjoy time with him in his Big Red Caddy as well as his nifty old Porsche.

Error in '08, indeed.

As was pointed out, I'm sure he's at a Tiki Bar somewhere right now, the Mustang he *really* wanted ticking in the parking lot after a fun run. And I'm sure he's spun around on his barstool, laughing at my snow removal efforts and reminding me that *my* rock is a shovel.

And I'll laugh call him "Carl the groundskeeper," and he'll raise his glass with a 'touche'' salute.

The man does know what it means to be human, and that bravery and doing right by others is as important as a sense of humor.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

So, exactly how many more inches of snow did you get in D.C.?

Any typos which result in "power outrages" carry no penalty, BTW. Not that it happened.

I am amazed apple juice was left in the store. There's a shortage around here. Probably caused by me.

There are high winds here in Carolina today. Enough so there's an official warning. The house is rattling. The sun is out, though. Yay!

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 10, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Yello: Midway is actually about 8 miles from the lake, with lots of neighborhoods, a university, and a nice science museum in between.

And it's officially the Willis Tower now, though the name lacks traction. It's got a nice skydeck with one of those walkout-and-see-the-street-beneath-you platforms. At this time of year I would describe the skydeck view as tediously monochromatic.

Posted by: MsJS | February 10, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Jumper, the number in and close around DC at the moment is between 6 to 10 inches, depending on where you are (high out west in the Shenandoah). But it is also going to continue to about dinner time. Temp has dropped 10 degrees since this morning, now around 20 degrees or so.

Forecast is for a total of 10 to 15 inches.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

You mean that FS was geographically inaccurate? I can't believe that Microsoft would lie to me.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Our yardstick, which had flattened to 23" from its original 26" is now back up to 29" and counting.

Some more pics and a video from this morning...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

We need about 9.2 inches officially at Wash. Nat'l Airport to break the alltime seasonal record. I think we're gonna do it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I can't see the Feds opening Mudge. I really can't.

The weather is undeniably beautiful. At least when viewed from within a comfortably warm house. The picket fence is becoming engulfed by the rising tide of snow. The sky is shimmering with a pearly light, and the naked branches of the trees are moving gently. To me, the trees look as though they are breathing.

Our cars are, once again, transformed into amorphous mounds of marshmallow fluff. The cleared driveway, walks, and street access, of which I was so proud, are now indistinct.

Yet I suspect that this new snow won't be nearly as hard to remove as was the old. It appears much lighter and softer.

Besides, they say that things get easier with practice.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Yes, TBG's right. This 6 to 10 inches is falling on top of the 20+ inches we got over the weekend.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I love the "Evil Genius" post that Joel linked too. We keep getting pitches for bundled phone service all the time too.

In fact, every time I call to complain about a lost internet and television signal, when my frustration with the fragility of cable is at its peak, they want me to pay them more money to make my phone service this fragile as well.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I was a bit discombobulated when we arrived at Cinemark to see "The Hurt Locker." Our dinner was a bit rushed, and since I'm a slow eater (always have been and always will be, I'm afraid), I had to box my leftovers to make it to the movie theater, just across Loop 410, on time.

The theater showed a long list of previews, about half of which we'd seen. (Note to self: see "Brothers." Recall incident of post-traumatic stress that occurred in our neighborhood after we'd gone to see "Sherlock Holmes.")

So, I admit that my mind was wandering when the movie began, my eyes lazily wandering to the screen. I got a jolt, that shook me out of sleepy, food-induced, half-consciousness.

What I saw was a quotation on the dark screen, with the end of the quote highlighted in bolder text, but what lept out at me was a name, the source of the quote: Chris Hedges.

Chris Hedges. The Loomis-Chaffee grad Chris Hedges. The NYT reporter Chris Hedges. The war correspondent Chris Hedges, who'd covered wars in the Balkans, the Middle East, Central America. The Chris Hedges who came to San Antonio a handful of years ago and who spoke at St.Philips Collge, this East Side college that educates large numbers of Blacks and Hispanics. The Chris Hedges, with whom I spoke at St. Philips and who autographed my copy of his Pulitzer-Prize winning "War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning." The Chris Hedges whom author Barbara Ehrenreich calls a "soul mate," her words to describe their relationship when Ehrenreich spoke at Texas Lutheran University in Seguin at the end of last year.

For the next two minutes it was hard for me to concentrate--images of Chris Hedges and thoughts about his book running through my brain. Then it was hard to concentrate for the next 20 minutes or so, thanks to another distraction. We had bad movie neighbors. One moment it was a barrage of comments and conversation coming from over our left shoulders, often followed, rapid fire, by comments and conversation coming from over our right shoulders.

Finally everyone in our very small auditorium settled into the film, its plot, its bombs, and the tense atmosphere of the story. Curmudgeon is right, actress Evangeline Lilly makes a brief appearance, as does British actor Ralph Fiennes and as does Australian actor Guy Pearce (interesting, given our two chief allies in the Iraq war were Britain and Australia).

-more-

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Couple hours north of the city and a skosh west, we've been slammed. It's been snowing pretty hard since 11:30 yesterday morning. (Teach me to hang out in the mountains). I was worried about the garage roof, as it's pitched right into the wind....unbelievable amounts of snow on top. Don't have to worry about that anymore...it came down in a SHWOOMPH, and left a giant mound right in front of the garage door, replacing one problem with another. (I can only see the garage for a few seconds at a time when the wind dies down a bit). Oh yeah, the back door is frozen closed. And didn't I have shrubs?

They've actually cancelled school.

But I have utilities, food, coffee and kahlua for me and a playmate for DC. A snowblower would be nice, but regardless, All Is Good.

Have a happy day all!

Posted by: LostInThought | February 10, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Checking outside, found deep slush in plowed areas. Ru-roh. If that freezes, I'm not going into work tomorrow either. This storm seems much more dangerous.

Theoretically, it's not supposed to count if we're working from home. My boss is challenging that because we all have so much to do, so it would be good if I racked in a few hours today.

So who's up for homemade chicken soup?

Posted by: -dbG- | February 10, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I recognize that brand of apple juice. They sell in 1.75 quart plastic bottles for more than the competing brands half gallon wax cardboard cartons.

When I went to the grocery store on Monday, it was the only brand of grapefruit juice left. Not knowing when they would be restocked, I bit the bullet and bought a jug.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Good to have a snow blower for this stuff.

Got friend off to go to Plaster Rock this morning. There are plows still working the main streets in Bethesda.

Not many cars venturing out, which is a good thing.

We did shovel/snow blow to crest of hill on our side street to ensure a quick escape.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 10, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping last-minute chaotic weather patterns might spare you D.C. folks but I see from an overnight loop it just stalled right over your area and hovered.

I posted using a whole riff of words beginning in "wr" right after boko's "wraiths" remark yesterday and the whole deal shut down. I wregret it.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'll have some soup, dbG, and I'll add some chedder-and-bacon biscuits my dottir made. Also a sleeve of Saltines, and an assortment of teas, chai tea, and sodas.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Sounds good, mudge. There's sesame oil, chopped green onions and soy on the side if you want to add them.

Posted by: -dbG- | February 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Wish me luck, Boodle.

I'm venturing over to my neighbor's house to check on the kitty. My neighbor is snowed in a hotel downtown (she works there).

If I don't check in within 30 minutes, send the St. Bernards and Beatrice!

Posted by: Moose13 | February 10, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

My wife made a giant pot of Italian wedding soup on Monday, but it was more than she could eat my herself.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to be a spolier about this powerful film, "The Hurt Locker," directed by Kathryn Bigelow. Go see it. I would like to see it again, rent it after it's issued in wide distribution and see it in the undistracting quiet of my own living room.

Last night, after returning home, I got online to see if I could find the full quote from Chris Hedges' book, "War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning," used to open the film. I found this article, which has the highlighted portion of the quote that I saw on last night's movie screen, "war is a drug." The link at the bottom of the article directs the reader to a full movie review of "Locker."

This morning, I picked up Hedges' book, to find that the book's index has six listings for "drug of war," but I still can't find the full quotation used in last night's movie, the quotation ending in "war is a drug."

And I did read very late last night Maureen Dowd's NYT op-ed for today about James Cameron, and the near-future of movies and television and 3D, "The Zero Parallax View."

As Dream Works 3D guru Phil McNalley defines zero parallax, it's the mechanics or wizardry of examining "every frame to adjust the amount of depth, dial the intensity up or down, and fix the right-eye/left-eye camera settings so that moviegoers can enjoy...[images/objects whizzing] past them without having to turn their popcorn bags into motion-sickness bags." McNally adds that zero parallax view is "an equipoise where objects can fly around without making you dizzy — a synchronicity that has a technical name that sounds like a spy thriller."

I think it would be a long time--and an immense challenge--before viewers could stomach a film such as "The Hurt Locker" in zero paerallax view.

On second thought, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all. This cutting-edge technology may better impart the horrors of war, a technology that will force us to rethink war and give us additional understanding. "Zero Parallax View is a Force that Gives War Additional Meaning."

And the best director tug-of-war over the Academy on Oscar night, between Cameron and his ex, Bigelow, ought to be some contest.

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

i just saw a hotdog blow by.........

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 10, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Happy to report the kitty is fine.

I think we have at least 8 more inches of snow here.

Posted by: Moose13 | February 10, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Hot dog!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The pictures say it all. Not fun anymore for sure. I'll be *trying* to fly to Reagan airport next Wednesday (from Kansas City where I have a conference via Chicago)for a visit with my son. The way it's going who knows when I'll make it.

Stay warm and drink hot toddies...if you can get the ingredients. :-}

RD I must say your sidewalk before this latest round looked beautiful. Well done!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 10, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm very glad to read that the kit is fine.

Posted by: Boko999 | February 10, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

GWE, you make me smile. *That* was a fun day.

Posted by: LostInThought | February 10, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Did you broke it again?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Nope.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

My I declare that cream cheese & olives on toast is the new Snow Food!

Also.. was just thinking that I hope this weather doesn't turn us all into snowmudgeons.

(My apologies to our own dear Mudge).

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

And it's so quaint to go back and look at the pictures we took of the December snowstorm thinking that was a lot of snow!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Yuck.

The dog and I ventured out this morning. The wind was so strong it almost blew my jacket hood off my head--even with it cinched down. Even Raysdad, Mr. "Shovel every few hours and stay ahead of it" hasn't ventured outside.

I've made so much soup the freezer is full of it, knitted one scarf and have a good start on another, cleaned the house top to bottom, and watched so much HGTV I think I'm on a first-name basis with Suzanne Whang. Oh well. The fridge is well-stocked, the house is warm, and satellite dish keeps on ticking.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 10, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

laloomis, adrenaline addiction comes in many forms, not just combat service. The "Hurt Locker" was a fine meditation on the fear and addiction that haunt men in combat.

It did, however, have to overcome many military detail errors to tell the story, starting with the Hollywood hackneyed man jumping in front of explosion for the first non believable combat death in the film.

Posted by: edbyronadams | February 10, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Before I backboodle...

I grabbed my facemask, ski hat, winter jacket and lined gloves and headed out about two hours ago to do battle with the drifting snow.

I should have remembered the long johns -- the blowing snow caked against my pants and of course, melted. You can now find frozen Scottynuke thigh sections at your local supermarket. :-O

That trailing edge of the snow is moving VERY slowly... *SIGH*

And harkening back to the "I can't believe what I just saw" Kit, I came across the Scorpions' big hit "Rock You Like a Hurricane" in a TV ad.

For saltine crackers.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

LostinThought, glad you're okay. I misunderstood at first, and thought that was your garage roof that went shwoomph. Glad it was just the snow. I'm waiting for the snow on my house to do the same thing, but it looks worrisomely ice-dammed.

I just finished shoveling the driveway and around the cars. The snow doesn't seem to be accumulating too rapidly at this point -- just blowing around in the air (very fast!).

Time for some soup!

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 10, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Boy, you'd think you all were on top of a 14,000 ft mountain the way it looks. It certainly can force one to rethink life's priorities...at least for awhile. Hang on!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 10, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Spent 45 minutes outside shoveling until noon, and am only now getting feeling back in my fingers. Realized that snow had frozen onto my eyebrows when my eyes suddenly filled up with water and I wasn't watching the original "Brian's Song."

I see from my thermometer that it's 17.5 deg F., coupled with a 35-mph blizzard has a wind chill factor of PRETTY FLIPPIN' COLD.

But that's my opinion.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 10, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the snow on the deck has now hit the bottom of the dining table out there. That will make it easier this summer to remember exactly how high the snow got.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the wind has stopped and now the snow is just coming down "fast and hard" as my neighbor put it. Or maybe it was "heavy and hard." Either way, it's not something that *I* would say.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Whoops! I spoke far too soon -- just got a huge gust of wind.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 10, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

... boodle is operational now...

it's finally snowing here although nothing like what you're getting in DC... great photos Joel. Last photo is really spooky!

You need to book a trip to Toronto to enjoy the balmy Canadian weather! forget about Florida for March break, come north instead.

Posted by: MissToronto | February 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Windy!

Well, I've just spent the last two hours digging out *again*. Didn't dig out to the sorta-plowed single lane of traffic yet, because I am still hoping for the Return of the Snow Plow.

I Do Believe! (clapclapclap) I Do Believe!

But this delusional state will doubtless quickly pass.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Great photos from the National Park Police...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I particularly liked the fox and Great Falls, TBG, thanks for the link!

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The snow has pretty much stopped and the sun is poking through down here in Fairfax. Looks like about six to seven inches of fresh snow. But a lot of drifts.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Where do I fax my offer to take part in Google's test???

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Just sent out an email blast announcing our closure again tomorrow. Wow. What a week.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody. Wind, wind, wind, and good-sized limbs down in the yard. That's what happens when there are five willow oaks on the lot. Not that I'm complaining, far from it.

I went out to see if there were any crocus blooms for me to photogragh and post, but, alas, lots of foliage but no flowers.

You all stay warm and safe!

Posted by: slyness | February 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Crocus blooms!?! Are you trying to kill us here, slyness?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

EBA,
I think the "drug of war" is more than just adrenaline addiction. Will try to pull a short quote from Hedges' book for you tomorrow, but for for the next few hours, other day's duties beckon.

I see other plays on words for snow: NYT's: snoweek for snow day(s), a Canadian reader posted snowmonth(s)
My (California's gold rush): Mother Lode of snow, better respelled as Mother Load of snow?

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Joel, how did they lie about love?
Love hurts -- even when you do it right.

And RD, sending the Plow Fairies and Frontloader Pixies your way forthwith, and that beeping you hear in the distance isn't me balancing my checkbook.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 10, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

*watching the regional radar with something very much approaching annoyance as the back edge of the storm just vacillates about a county to the south*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow that wind is whipping! Been watching the live feed from 15th St. NW http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2005/04/12/VI2005041201240.html

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Indeed it is, MotP... Every time a good gust comes through, there's a mini snow tornado between NukeAbode and the neighbor's place.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, if you are watching channel 4, you will see that a certain county to the south of you at this moment has one of those heavy snow bands over it, and it is snowing like crazy under that poor, benighted county, whose name I won't mention.

So I don't wanna hear no mo' 'bout no vaselinating.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I've had a couple of blooms already, TBG, but none right at the moment. Would it cheer you up to see one? That's what I was hoping to do.

Mr. T sent me this link. It makes me feel very old to know this was fifty years ago and I remember it well:

Posted by: slyness | February 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, jeez. Tom Keirein reports there may be a snow flurry or storm next monday.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

That would be way far to my southeast, 'Mudge, but in any case I think we can easily share our annoyance at the storm's lollygagging...

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, after I looked at the live snow-cam, I thought what a spectacular spring you will have - so sweet. And I bet no one complains about the heat and humidity this summer! So I mention our freakishly early spring weather only to provide hope. (The tiny species crocuses have spread all over the place.)

Posted by: seasea1 | February 10, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

RD - Thanks for the encouragement. It's still coming down here. We shoveled around 11, and there was probably 10" on the driveway. Looks now like we've had about 5 or 6 more come down. Haven't lost power any time yet. I still have concerns about all the snow on the roof. I have some icicles hanging off the side patio roof that are getting on to 4 feet long. May wait until tomorrow morning to hike up the street and dig out the van. Maybe I'll get to work by noon. Stay warm out there, guys.

Posted by: ebtnut | February 10, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

How many feet of snow have we had total, by now? I have managed to convince myself that we are up to about 6 feet.

I have a colleague from Finland, who managed to get in on his scheduled Tuesday flight, between snow shut-downs. He agrees that even by Finnish standards, this is some serious snow -- they get more total snow in a winter, but not all at once.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 10, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ezra Klein's latest post is called...

No, the snow does not disprove global warming

"It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries 'uncle,' " tweets Jim DeMint, who seems to be really enjoying how ignorant he is about climate science. In fact, the U.S. Global Change Research Program actually predicted more violent storms in the Northeast in its 2009 report assessing the likely impact of climate change on the United States. "Strong cold season storms are likely to become stronger and more frequent, with greater wind speeds and more extreme wave heights."

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Easy pneumonic for the blizzard date: two ten twenty-ten. 2/10/2010.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt roofs will come down from snow load. Gutters, likely.

Wind is the worst for roofs because inspectors rarely count the nails and certain outfits skimp on nailing the roofs more than perfunctorily. I bet Dave could tell us some stories about wind and roofs in FL

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 10, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, actually, seasea, I will admit that I'm really, *really* looking forward to complaining about summer.

Ohhhhhh, crocuses. . .

*sigh*

Posted by: -ftb- | February 10, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

All Fairfax County public schools will be closed Thursday, Feb. 11 and Friday, Feb. 12.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm all dug out. All the way to the street, because I've been told that we are *way* down on the list for a return plow. So now I can, in theory, get out. I'm just not sure when I will have someplace to go.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Does dough rise, or does it raise? Either way, this has been a week of bread-baking for me. One of yesterday's purchases before the snow was another 15 lbs of flour. The bagel dough is raising (or rising) right now, and I'll be making another batch of French bread later today. Dinner tonight will be chili, I think.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 10, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Dough rises, SciTim.

Posted by: slyness | February 10, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I've been bogarting the snow plow. I've seen it in my neighborhood twice as well as a couple of bobcats. There is still actually bare pavement in the street. Barely.

Two of my neighbors have been shoveling their drive and one of them is now clearing their deck. I keep seeing giant piles of snow go past the window.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The Sun also rises, apparently...

But not in Rep. Charlie Wilson's case, however:

BREAKING NEWS
AP: Former Texas congressman Charlie Wilson dies at 76

*SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

S'Tim, thanks. Yeah, we're good. Clearly, I need an editor, but we're good.

It hasn't stopped snowing here yet, but the winds have died down a lot. The drifting is really cool. The back yard looks like the contrails from a missing man formation 5 seconds after the jets have passed. Probably won't look so cool when I start to dig out. Tomorrow.

Posted by: LostInThought | February 10, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sad news Scottynuke. He was a fascinating and complex man. And it is a testament to his stubborn nature that he lived as long as he did.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else get a weird rush from shoveling snow? You know, this surge of energy that makes one want to clear all the sidewalks in the development just because one can? I dunno. Maybe it's endorphins coupled with testosterone. Or maybe incipient hypothermia.

Or, more likely, chronic stupidity.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

RD_P: Regarding your 3:15, you can come visit me if you really want to drive somewhere.

As to your 3:33 you left the door wiiide open to abuse, but I won't go there now that you're a potential guest and all.

:-)

Posted by: MsJS | February 10, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Jumper. I'm worried about my gutters. Massive icicles too high to reach. It wouldn't surprise me if the gutters are damaged.

And, of course, I keep compulsively checking my attic for water, but have been lucky so far. Clearly I need more attic insulation.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, MsJS, I have no doubt the consensus diagnosis is the last one...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, but the consensus isn't always correct.

At least I keep telling myself that.

Posted by: MsJS | February 10, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, there's plenty of reason to worry about flat roofs, there have been several collapses around D.C.

That said, I too am keeping a worried eye on my gutters... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's official. Snowiest. Winter. Ever.

I would have actually found it pretty annoying if we'd gone through all this and then missed the record by, say, 1/2".

Posted by: rashomon | February 10, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

My wife sent me Googling for the total snow for the winter. The 1 pm BWI total was 11.9 inches bringing the total for February to 41.6" and over 72" for the winter. These are Baltimore totals which have been slightly higher than DC, so no using our stats for bragging rights.

NOAA National Airport data has 24 inches through January and 24.8 inches in February but only inclding 3.7 inches for today so far.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The latest radar map has this right over my house.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Speed the Plow, starring Humphrey Bogart....my icicles are tiny, which means the attic insulation work was a good idea. The two shed roofs off the back are holding But, both neighbors may have lost very mature LeyLand cypress soldiers....you know, the trees that suburbanites use to wall of back yards...now, I will be able to watch the uninhibited hot telegenic tubbie peeps. And, my uphill neighbor can watch me read books on my small patio that doubles as a run off device to deal with the fact that she concreted over about 1/3 of her back yard two years ago....oh the joys of living downhill from impervious surfaces...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

And winter's not even over yet, rashamon!

Here are some more pics and a couple of videos. You can see I've ventured from my front and back doors to my garage. But not much farther.

Dinner tonight will be leftover Chicken & Goo on Rice. Yumm...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Blizzard warning's been extended to 10 p.m.

So much for the rest of the work week.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

DeMint isn't ignorant of climate change. He and his staff probably get plenty of information on the subject from reliable sources, such as the Wall Street Journal and George Mason University, which has the necessary think tanks and such to assure Republicans that legitimate climate science is at best dubious, more likely bunk. That seems to work into a low view of the National Academy of Sciences, whose president is a climate scientist.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 10, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't let TBG top me. Here is my blizzard video:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Dough" only raises if he's playing poker, SciTim.

Raise= to lift up (i.e. somebody is doing the raising to something).

Rise= to stand up, come up (on its own).

You know you have raised a child right when he responsibly rises on time in the morning, goes to work, gets a raise, etc.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 10, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

RD, I think "snowshovel delusional" might be another category to explain the shoveling euphoria. Beatrice will be stopping by to all you shovelers with a nice tot of brandy just any time now. She's not as large as a giant Belgian rabbit, but perhaps she can travel partly on the packed snow. You should be able to see the tips of her ears, at least, and she is brown.

I was sorry to read the news about Charlie Wilson, but he had a good ride while it lasted. I recently finished the book on which the movie was based (thus cutting significantly into January Read More Novels). In an odd way I'm glad I read the book before he died. Makes no sense.

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 10, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The driveway and pipestem are cleaned, and the guys took turns snowblowing a single track out to the cross street. Shoveling is hard because there is *no* place to put the stuff.

My latest boredom project was to bake pretzels using the kit we bought from a neighbor kid a couple of years ago. The yeast was still good, although it took quite a while for the dough to rise. The final product was pretty good, but more abundant than what Raysdad and I could finish off, so I foisted a few on the neighbors.

Posted by: Raysmom | February 10, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think the snow has stopped, but with the wind, it's hard to tell.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Dang, the forecast was slight chance of snow here this morning but only overcast with a few tiny sprinkles about 10. No snow stories to share. only one measurable snow here one this winter. Two years ago we had seven.
Joel needs a new kit subject. This is getting redundent.

Posted by: bh72 | February 10, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom - isn't that an amazing book? And it shows how truth is *way* more complicated than the way it is sometimes shown in the movies.

I shall keep an eye out for Beatrice!

And after a few snifters of brandy I might actually see her.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. From the Capital Weather Gang...

"...we still have to keep an eye on a coastal storm for early in the weekend. For now it looks like it will stay south and out to sea, but that's not a done deal yet. And by late Sunday or Monday, an area of snow could be approaching from the west courtesy a clipper system originating in Canada. For now, there's not much confidence in whether this system will materialize and how strong it would be. We'll keep you posted."

So the invasion begins, eh?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Béatrice will be the pink one RD Padouk.

The best movie about a snowstorm is not "Airport" but La vie heureuse de Léopold Z/The Merry World of Leopold Z.
It's available for free on the ONF/NFB site but it seems to be available in French only. Maybe a better surfer could find it in English.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The lying about love thing reminds me of when I cross-examined Diana Ross. She went on and on about how you can’t hurry love, and that you’ll just have to wait. Her evidence was that love doesn’t come easy and analogized it to a game of give and take, which didn’t impress the court. It turned out that the whole thing was hearsay anyway - she was just repeating what her mama said.

Posted by: engelmann | February 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

RD, Kathleen Parker wrote this for you (and other Boodlers):

Anybody want some popcorn?

Posted by: seasea1 | February 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, engelmann, that was inspired. Ha!

Posted by: seasea1 | February 10, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Steven Pearlstein's Discussion on snow was a marvel. If local government budgets for snow preparedness are inadequate, bear in mind that hurricanes are common in Miami, as much so as really bad snow farther north. Miami has evacuation plans, building codes, and whatnot, but the next serious South Florida storm will be a far bigger mess than it could have been, given better preparation.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I love that Parker column. I think she is overstating the gender politics of it a tad bit, but she is clearly on to something.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Through my gym I am taking some personal trainer sessions and he has an exercise called Core Crossovers that mimics the motion of lifting and throwing snow. I am very proud that so far I am injury free and have only taken token levels of analgesics. Of course I have yet to tackle the new accumulation in my driveway, so I may be whistling past the graveyard here.

That reminds me that I need to call and cancel tomorrow's session. Don't think I'll be out of my driveway by 6 am.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

A couple of years ago it snowed and I said to my neighbor that I wished I had a snow shovel. He said I could borrow his. Great! However, he returned with a plain old flat shovel. I did find it to work quite well. Smaller bites, but faster action; it all came out about the same.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 10, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

We have three shovels of various designs but the longer this winter goes on, the more I love my scoop-blade bent-handle. No bending needed. Particularly with snows of this depth.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

The other day (which day? Who knows anymore) Daughter and her friend went out to shovel the driveway.

Daughter said to her friend, "We've got two shovels: a snow shovel and the kind you dig graves with."

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, bein' cooped up here all day, and ponderin' the great debate 'tween Wilbrod and SciTim on the grammatological question of "raise" or "rise," I was oncst again visited by the muse, and so I put together this little song that might help answer the question. I like to call it "It Rose."

And it goes

a little sumpthin'

like this:

Some say bread it is a riser
that needs the gentle yeast
Some say bread it is a raiser
the wrong word, you use it least
Some say bread it is causes hunger
an endless aching need
I say bread is made with flour
and sometimes with some poppyseed

It's the hearth afraid of baking
that never learns to proof
It's the anxious afraid of waiting
who always makes the goof
It's the one who won't be baking
who cannot seem to rise
au bon pain afraid of taking
le temps, or qu'elle, surprise!

When the chef has been too lonely
and the kitchen has been too hot
and you think that bread is only
for the side dish, that's tommy rot
Just remember in the dinner
while you wait for your meal
when the bread arrives you always battle
to see see which person gets the heel

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Some say bread it causes hunger

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Very clever as always Mudge!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow it is hard getting caught up on the boodle at the end of the day.

I would like to state something most emphatically, I came home from work and started to get caught up with the boodle and your struggles with the blizzard, only to notice a message repeatedly flashing in my facebook.

At a few minutes I went to check out the message that was so insistant that I read it.

Here is my reply, I did not in any way send my snow to all of you in the DC/Philly area, I am hurt beyond words, well not really but it sounds good.

You know who you are!! :-)

Just a reminder for those cooped up Friday - should that be the case, I start my 4 day weekend Friday - all Olympics all day.

Seriously stay safe all, quite impressed with how your area is dealing with the storm, we had a mere inch or two today, traffic reports stating how bad the commutes were - we are serious wimps and terrible drivers here.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

engelmann and 'mudge in one afternoon! *Double Snort*

Posted by: Yoki | February 10, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

dmd... what is this "came home from.." you speak of?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I want to go here,

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Re snowshovels. I use three. The first is the bent-handle ergonomically correct kind that yello mentions. Perhaps if one is very young this isn't necessary, but, for me, it is essential for general shoveling. You don't need to bend over much, which saves the back.

The second shovel is a flat plastic one. This kind of shovel works great to scrape up slush or that last little bit of snow. You hold it at a 45 degree angle and get down to the bare concrete.

Finally, you need a flat metal shovel with a long handle. This is great for breaking ice and undercutting heavily-packed snow.

It is also useful for scaring off wolves.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the punishment is now I can't get the original song out of my head. But it's such a great song I'm OK with it. Just hard to work when there's a tune cootie in yer noggin.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

One of the things I didn't anticipate is how dehydrated I would get shoveling snow. That freezing air really sucks up the perspiration.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Work TBG, and following in your footsteps, I now have four day weekends.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I can get that song out of your head.

Four little words:

Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

Posted by: rashomon | February 10, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, rashomon. Midler and McBroom win.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

dmd... it's just that I can't imagine being anywhere else BUT home right now.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

mudge,
Half way through your song I had Bette Midler in my ears, so at least the fact that you are suffering the same is minor penance.

And you, rashomon, are just cruel.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Yello, if I was cruel, I would have said:

The mate was a mighty sailing man.

Posted by: rashomon | February 10, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Laughing. But no, I am impervious to that one.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Gummint closed tomorrow.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Shovels: Though I was critical of Joel's shovel on the last round, y'all are in unbroken territory (snow covered, as it turns out), so let it be noted that I am keep the engeltrap shut on shovels this time. I tip my tuque to the true snow champions (not to be confused with snow champignons, which was yesterday). My experience is that the ergonomic design shovels become a liability if your required throw is more than a foot or two.

Mudge: good one!

Songs: yello, yello, mo mello, bing bang bo bello, yello

Posted by: engelmann | February 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

A man named Jed?

Dancin' in the streets?

Busted flat in Baton Rouge?

Posted by: rashomon | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

engleman - you are quite right about the ergonomic shovels being hard to throw. The leverage is trickier. But my back loves them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

After all you people have been through I do not no any easy way to break this to you, but here goes, I was too lazy to turn the channel and Etalk Canada was on, talking about rumours that Celine will sing at the opening of the Olympics - making an exception for one more apology. Good news is they likely won't let her speak - I hope and pray.

Maybe they are wrong.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised about the Feds closing, but still a little alarmed.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Eskimos have 40 words for snow. I have more than 40 in my vocabulary right now. Of course, they make Richard Pryor sound like Norman Vincent Peale, but that's another matter.

Posted by: -pj- | February 10, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I remember one week a few years ago when it was ice, not snow, that had the city shut down for a few days. As we were on an unbendable production schedule, I went to work one day when everyone else's workplace was closed.

I was the ONLY person on the one-lane Beltway all the way to Old Town. It was very eery.

I also parked my car for 12 hours in an underground garage and the icicles that had formed on my car that morning were still there. Nothing had melted, despite being in the garage.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Just back from shoveling 2.5 inches of heavy wet snow. Oof.
I feel for y'all (times ~12)

DC seasons now
snow and snowpocalyse and
snowmageddon and

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 10, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing AGAIN! The radar shows the storm looping back. What?!?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

or as Liz Lemons says, "What the what?"

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

NOW I HAVE MAJOR WIND....blechhh. So, the power could go out and now it is dark. Flashlight at the ready. Hope Moosie who is about two miles away fares well.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the bent-handle shovel throws snow quite well with the proper grip...

I enjoyed the Parker column, but now I'm jonesin' for a Don & Mike reading of a Craig Wilson column... *SIGHHHHHHHHHH*

Yes indeed, TBG, the storm that just keeps on giving.

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

That story brings back a memory, TBG. Snow caused government to close during the day. All the main roads were packed. I got into Old Town and went down to Union Street, which is the closest road to the Potomac River and parallels the main roads. After driving for a few blocks, I realized I was the only car on the street for the 15 or so blocks that I could see in front of me or behind me. That was quite a shock from the mass of humanity I left on the main road.

Posted by: -pj- | February 10, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

You can always "bank" on good humor from the Boodlers when they rise to the occasion of snow.

Now, If I can "drift" your attention away from snow, I'd like to shovel some other day's news your way...

ABC News reported tonight that former East Texas Congressman Charlie Wilson passed away today.

You may recall Tom Hanks played Wilson in the fairly recent "Charlie Wilson's War." (Julia Roberts also starred.) Or George Criles' book by the same name. Author Bill Minutaglio mentioned that Molly Ivins was a friend of Charlie's when Minutaglio spoke recently at The Twig, our independent bookstore in town. IIRC, Minutaglio's pairing of Wilson and Ivins occurred in the context of a party along a Texas stream or river and skinny dipping.

ftb, since you bought Minutaglio's book about Ivins, you may have better details than I.

I have received an interesting "Game Change" invite from Austin tonight. *w*

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Geez TBG are you really getting snow? We're just getting stuff blown around a bit. There's a fine mist blowing in all directions.

My daughter pointed out that our front yard now looks as if it has a protective wall from all the shoveling. Which it kind of does. This should be useful when the snow zombies show up.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

*faxing cpq some Gas-X*

*sorry, couldn't resist*

Posted by: laloomis | February 10, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, that's a good parody, I feel the song flavor, but I have no clue what the original is of "it rose".

Wilbrodog says he's feeling a hunger to go out... NOW.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 10, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

CP - I hope you don't lose power. That's no fun.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The boodle is back! I had given up, thinking we wouldn't gather again until after the snow melted.

I'm with engelmann on the deficiencies of the ergonomic snow shovels. By this time each winter the walk into Chez Frostbitten is at least a maze, if not nearly a tunnel taller than the shoveler. For tossing high and wide give me the cheap plastic shovel.

TBG-made me laugh with the "grave digging" shovel. In the frostfam we hand dig the graves in our family cemetery. Since Chez Frostbitten is so close I am charged with keeping a sharp shovel and a post hole digger handy for cousins charged with the task.

Glad to see everyone looking so chipper. We who are used to big snows are in awe of the way you are handling this mess. Don't let anyone say otherwise-we would be paralyzed too.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 10, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Don Geronimo has stayed retired, but Mike O'Meara has an daily podcast that runs about 60 minutes an episode, or about as long as you should shovel snow in one session.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Bette Midler's The Rose (from the film of the same name, which I've never seen):

Posted by: seasea1 | February 10, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Last I checked, still blowin' and snowin', though it could be just blowin'... Let me chime in in favor of ergonomic snow shovels. I bite off off the snow from the bank into a little heap then throw away the heap a bit at a time. No backache... unlike the old macho days of taking a big shovelful right off the bank and throwing it in one go. There's a kind of obsessive-compulsive flavor to the latter method -- a superstitious belief that once a piece of pavement is cleared, no particle of snow must be allowed to fall on it. Now I just get rid of the stuff any way I can. The ancient Code of the Snow Shoveler is a thing of bygone days. I'd get a snowblower if it didn't mean one more small engine to maintain.

Posted by: woofin | February 10, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I know, yello, but you need both of them to really do justice to one of Craig's columns... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

This is hilarious... on Google Maps in Norway. See the story here...

more here...

and the actual Google Map here...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

*FOOMCROFL* :-))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

With Washington coated, I'm thinking of how easy it was to deal with some (not all) Wyoming snowfalls with push broom and aluminum grain scoop.

I've never used a pressure washer frequently enough for the engine to stay in usable condition. How many snow blowers are hiding in garages because their owners couldn't get them started?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 10, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Great links TBG! And, as a bonus, the phrase "Angry Norwegians" is really fun.

Speaking of odd, I can't tell if this "Wovel" thing is brilliant or just really weird.

Not that the two are mutually exclusive.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

TBG -- transport yourself here this instant, young lady. The keyboard is a mess and must be cleaned -- YEA replaced, replaced I say.

Please, Miss TeeBeeGee, announce the funniness-factor. I am forced to take out an insurance policy to deal with these humor-laced yuckity, yuckilty yucks.

---
My experience with angry Norwegians is the baleful glance of dolor and disappointment with a dollop of disapproval too. Sort of like a basset hound, only with Nordic layers -- knitted things and Euro etceteras....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a useful expression, and I know I'm being hopelessly pedantic, but at least it's a fun article:

The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax

Posted by: -bia- | February 10, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wovels are for wusses... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 10, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, I see your problem, Wilbrod. The YouTube version won't help you much, so I shall atempt to describe. First, the original lyrics of "The Rose."

Some say love it is a river
that drowns the tender reed
Some say love it is a razer
that leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love it is a hunger
an endless aching need
I say love it is a flower
and you it's only seed

It's the heart afraid of breaking
that never learns to dance
It's the dream afraid of waking
that never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken
who cannot seem to give
and the soul afraid of dying
that never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
and the road has been too long
and you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter
far beneath the bitter snows
lies the seed that with the sun's love
in the spring becomes the rose

It was written by a woman named Amanda McBroom. Here is a Web page in which she describes how she came to write it: http://www.amcbroom.com/rose.html

Since you haven't seen the movie, here's what you need to know. "The Rose" was loosely modled on the life of Janis Joplin. Bette Midler played a loud, brassy singer who came out of Florida (Joplin came from Texas) and got famous. Midler's character was alcoholic and a drug user, and self-destructive. For all that, when Midler actually sings the title song, it isn't at all loud and brassy and like Joplin; quite the opposite. It is sung slow and with virtually no accompaniment, and is almost a hymn. So you need to think of it that way, as hymn-like, a capella, and in Midler's version it just knocks yer socks off. It won a Golden Globe as best song. (The movie got for Oscar nominations, including Midler as best actress, but didn't win any.)

The ultimate point might be the irony that a movie about a loud, vulgar, profane piece of trailer trash has a theme song that is a gentle hymn, and it makes one see Midler's character -- and Joplin -- in a completely different light. Until this song, one wouldn't ever see Joplin as anybody's "rose."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

The Wovel looks great for snow that's measured in inches, RD. But more than that? Bwah ha ha ha ha!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

You mean Norwegian SCUBA divers with "desires forks" haven't run down the road after you, CqP?

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Good point TBG. The other big trouble I see with the Wovel is that you can't toss the snow to one side.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 10, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

No, TBG, only Swedes running after me with pointed SPORKS. See, how easy my life has been?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

bia-that article is worth reading just for the line "The story is unredeemed piffle."

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 10, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

bia,
I too have known that the Eskimo words for snow meme is complete nonsense, but it makes such a great metaphor. It has what Colbert calls truthiness.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Piffle ball, a version of whiffle ball but played with an attitude of insouciance bordering on distain, but reigned in as is the case in many Scandinavian folk.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

One of the great expressions I learned from Nancy Drew books is "Oh pshaw!"

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

TeeBeeGee -- In my little brain's ear, I thought that

pshaw
Huzzah

rhymed.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for that link, bia. I, too, knew about the hoax, and pondered saying something about it. Anyway, the article was quite interesting.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Bloody Norwegians. As I said before they drink like Finns but hold their liquor like Swedes. No wonder they roam the streets in scuba diver suits, menacingly yielding sporks.
The local police didn't even arrest them. They were probably laughing their heads off, drunks as skunks in their Volvo patrol car. King Harald must be proud of them.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

I'm functionally dug out this evening, even if - a: it isn't done to my aesthetic and b: it's likely that the wind and continuing snow will undo much of what I've done today.

Having said that, I've used dirt shovels (of flat and curved blade designs), manure shovels, plastic curved handled shovels, and all kinds of other odd implements for moving snow, but I keep coming back to a plain old-school metal-blade straight-handle snowshovel. It's easy for me to toss snow, break up ice, and manage the repeatable weight of shovelfuls I get when I'm on a Shoveler's High.

For me, sometimes a good simple tool's the easiest and simplest answer. And sometimes a simple tool's about all I can handle anyway.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 10, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

SD -- now now, there. I know you Canadians have targeted them for their WinOly prowess. Covetous. Be careful, as I am sure that wives and cattle AND medals are in the fine print of that commandment. Being Catholic, I cannot tell you which one it is....I think it toward the end of the list.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the Canadien will put an end to the Caps winning streak. So it goes.

Back in the dawn of times the Canadien had a season in which they lost 8 games out of (76-80?). Let's call it mid-70s. One of those losses was against the Caps, then the very worst team in the league. Karma comes back to hit you.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Janis Joplin in her lifetime preferred the nickname 'Pearl'. This was the original working title of the movie, but Bette Midler insisted it be fictionalized, so 'pearl' was changed to 'rose'.

Since then a number of singers and/or actresses have been rumored to be up for a 'true' bio-pic of Joplin. The one I am most disappointed never happened was Melissa Etheridge who would have been great.

The most recent ill-fated attempt was Jenna Maroney doing a thinly veiled movie as Jackie Jormp-Jomp.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

A good lever needs a fulcrum, and that is absolutely dandy. It looks really nice for driveways and longer sidewalks if you're not into snowblowers.

But for steps and smaller spaces, not so much.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 10, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

The Norwegians win the events that look the most like fleeing. We rarely need to do 100km on skis like our lives depend on it or jump off tall towers wearing unusually wide skis to evade our ennemies.

They do have a much higher moose per square km ratio than we do. I'll give them that. But so does Newfoundland.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Coming back from three goals down is hard, sd, that's true. But 35-year-old karma? Sorry, I don't think I can buy that. Weren't the coaches of each team in diapers back then? Some of the player's parents might not have even met.

Posted by: -pj- | February 10, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

But apparently we rock at snowboard cross - not sure how that applies to Canadian life. Watch a clip of one of the athletes describing it - didn't understand a word, and felt very old - fun event though full contact snowboarding.

Even I am a little overwhelmed with the coverage here, so many choices - where to start.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"The Norwegians win the events that look the most like fleeing." So LOL.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

My wife said that she needs to find out which nights are showing figuring skating. I rolled my eyes and said "all of them."

Posted by: yellojkt | February 10, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

So you are saying there is no truth in the old poem

"Ten thousand Swedes
Came thru the weeds,
Chased by one Norwegian?"

Posted by: nellie4 | February 10, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Official schedule page Yello, I will let you decide if you want to share this.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 10, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

True, Nellie, which is why the retreating Swedes took after me. An easy mark.....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't start me on the Swedes. Gawd, anybody read Henning Mankell or that dead dude Larsson guy? I've read all of Mankell and a good bit of the other and it's pretty obvious they are huge losers.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow, look at all that curling.

Posted by: seasea1 | February 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

5-4 now. !@%#!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

The Norwegians must have felt like chuck roast cooking in a bag. Surfer magazine has some winter photos that make one wonder whether it's better in or out of the water.

Thinking Norwegian (I might have ancestors from Bergen),Jarlsberg cheese now comes from Ohio.

Someone, somewhere ran a hurdles race for contestants wearing swim fins.

We're supposed to have a low temperature of 33, but no freeze warning. Odd. The cold provides an excuse to eat tilsit cheese, something that had almost disappeared from my memory. Found it at the local cheese shop. Now to try the cheddar with caramelized onion.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 10, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"A synonym's another word for the word you want to use." Classic Jackie Jormp Jomp lyrics.

Almost as good as "Take another little chunk of my lung now baby."

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Norwegian fiction: my wish list includes "The Redbreast" by Jo Nesbø. Norwegians in the WWII German Army, skinheads in Oslo. Doesn't sound charming at all.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 10, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

not that anyone will care, but i am happy about the news in my legislative district:

that is to say, i'm happy that my congresswoman is timing her retirement so that my assemblywoman (and assembly speaker) who is termed out of office will be able to run for the open congressional seat. good planning.

Posted by: LALurker | February 10, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

@$!%&!! Bloody Price.

Your streak is alive.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Nah Nah Nah Nah!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Just so you know, the Caps victorious streak ends at 14 (it's pretty darn good).

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 10, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

HUGE WIND GUST AGAIN.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Okay, okay, CqP...but what was the wind gust wearing?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Yah, s_d, I saw the streak almost not end, but didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing it. Gotta admit, when they got that tie score with 19 sec. left in regulation, it looked like 15 in a row could be in the cards.

I suppose it's best to get that streak out of the way before the Olympic break anyhow. We're looking for Lord Stanley's Cup, not the record for longest win streak. Not that intentionally tanking it did the Colts any good this season, or the Patriots (who didn't tank and went all the way to the SB undefeated) a few seasons ago, either.

I didn't see what the wind gust was wearing, either. Or the tag number, for that matter.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 10, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The gust I saw was wearing only a pair of windsocks.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 10, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Willie Mays is going to be the guest on The Daily Show.

Right now he's going after the global warming deniers who are using Snopocalypse, etc., to you-know-what.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh my word. I go off to work and you guys ... well.

But it didn't come from us. It came from Alaska. Reeeeeeally.

Joel the photos of the empty shelves reminds me how very fragile our way of living is. We rely so heavily on keeping many little things working together. All we took out here was one link in the chain, transit capability and wow.

Joel, TBG, YJ, fantastic photos too. Fantastic so long as the power stays on, the furnaces run, the food supply in your home is adequate and the boodle operates.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 10, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused - is there another Willie Mays who is not the famous retired baseball player and who has something to do with the science of global climate change? You say "right now he's going after the global warming deniers." Tomorrow is he going to be going after Wall Street nogoodniks and next week cable guys who don't show up on time?

I'm not trying to sound snarky. It's just like hearing that, say, Cindi Lauper is really an atomic physicist who's discovered a new particle which revolutionize Love Potion Number Nine.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 10, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh - I get it now. Never mind.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 10, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, my bad, Wheezy. I meant that Jon Stewart was going after global deniers. Colbert did, too. Very funny.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 10, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Billy Mays! But of course, he's dead too.

Posted by: Yoki | February 10, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Mudge--the original Rose lyrics--beautiful!

Posted by: Windy3 | February 11, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Um, I would just like to point out, since my handle is Windy3, that winds can be very refreshing and rejuvinating and, at times, force one to feel alive.

Posted by: Windy3 | February 11, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Sent this to a friend, today. EYE think it is amazingly dynamic and artistic, too.

Posted by: Yoki | February 11, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

The seasonal snowfall totals at both Dulles & BWI Airports (75.0 and 79.9 inches respectively) exceed the seasonal total of 69.9" in Buffalo, NY. Not very common, that.

Such trivia can be accessed at the Nat'l Weather Svc site here:

Click on the relevant map location, select the Daily Climate report. Fun stuff for the meteorologically-inclined.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 11, 2010 4:46 AM | Report abuse

"Report: Hundreds forced into labor, sex in Ohio"

Who knew? I've been to Ohio. Didn't seem like there was all that much action.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 11, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

This comic strip is no longer being written, but this repeat seems oddly serendipitous:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

The NWS snowfall map shows the sort of hodgepodge you'd expect from a wind-sriven storm, although more than a foot across northern MD seems common. The high was Eldersburg at 2 feet, with Emmitsburg a half-inch behind and Lineboro at 23 inches. In my vicinity Jefferson had 22 inches.

There's been more blowing and drifting here, so I don't have a definitive number. At least an additional foot is reasonable, although every time I look out the window I feel like I've been transported back to northern N.H. at the height of a severe winter. I'll have more pictures later.

The street's still packed snow, even though having emergency services in the neighborhood means regular plowing. And I have to laugh at the comments on other articles where people outside the region are suggesting D.C. should "shrug it off" and get back to work -- even the Boston region would have been hard-pressed to get past these two storms without serious disruption.

*back-to-the-naproxen-and-caffeine-prep-for-yet-more-snow-clearing Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

I didn't even bother with any snow removal yesterday. Since I'm planning to head into the office this afternoon, I'll be taking up the shovel again today.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 11, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

The plow fairy came through last night so shoveling begins at 7 am.

The rental car company wants to trade out the loaner they gave my wife, so we have to call them today to see if they really mean it.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

See if the rental company has a deuce-and-a-half, yello... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

And a joke for the footwear afficianados:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

TBG,
When just one person gets my obscure references, my heart glows warm. Between you and bc, most of my cultural touchstones are covered.

Gawker runs a Blind Gossip guessing game every day. I use 30 Rock characters as answers whenever possible. It's amazing how often they fit the clues.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all, I hope this is the day the weather moderates and improves for my friends in the Mid-Atlantic.

When Mr. T went out for the paper this morning, he noted that the yard is a mess from fallen limbs, etc. Maybe I'll get out and start picking them up. OTOH, maybe not.

Cassandra, I hope you are warm and comfortable this morning. How was your busy Wednesday? I chopped a lot of broccoli and went to a meeting after supper that lasted till 8:30.

And I'm laying low during this particular basketball season. TBG knows what I mean!

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Here in the Boston area the winter weather has us in its crippling, icy grip of at least an inch and a half of snow. I hardly know what to do with myself.

I hope everyone in DC and environs stays safe and warm today. Good luck!

Posted by: cowhand214 | February 11, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks cowhand! Stick around (if you haven't before)! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | February 11, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Ended up digging a little more last night, and will probably start again here shortly after a couple of status meeting phone calls. Yes, I worked from home yesterday and am again today.

If you hadn't seen yet, Joel's been working too, including this article about the recent NASA budget changes:

Going to reread and digest before commenting at length (if I even have time to today), but count me as one who finds the lack of goals for human flight programs distressing.

Have a good day, all.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 11, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Three of us had to give our nurse neighbor's FWD car a push up the hill. The road was so slick we weren't much help. Those pesky Newtonian laws and the mythical frictionless surface came into play.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I want a desires fork.

I maybe have some Scandinavian blood in me, who knows, and I certainly married into some. I think that should count. The desires fork shall be mine!

Posted by: Ivansmom | February 11, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

People can be so very considerate! Yesterday somebody not only parked in the area that I had cleared in front of my car so that I can pull out, but felt compelled to park about six inches from of the front of my car. So I just had to spend another two and a half hours clearing space at the rear & side. Whoopie!

Posted by: bobsewell | February 11, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The grocery shelf...there is a very powerful and poignant scene in "The Hurt Locker" in which the soldier who defuses bomb, the main character of the movie, returns home and goes grocery shopping with his infant son and his wife, who asks him to pick out some cereal. The soldier whhels himself to an aisle that is empty of other shoppers, where, the aisle quiet, he is faced with a long row of perfectly organized, prettily packaged boxes of cereal, numerous consumer choices. Quite a stunning contrast to the chaos of war.

For edbyronadams, I reviewed the various passages about "war is a drug" from Chris Hedges' book, "War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning" last night, thought I'd settled on one (a "safer" one in which Hedges talks about the Bard's Troilus and Cressida), but changed my mind this morning thinking snippets are best.

p.17
We must guard against the myth of war and the drug of war that can, together, render us as blind and callow as some of those we battle.

p. 25
The myth of war sells and legitimizes the drug of war. Once we begin to take war's heady narcotic, it creates and addition that slowly lowers us to the moral depravity of all addicts.

p. 89
The seductiveness of violence, the fascination with the grotesque--the Bible calls it "the lust of the eye"--the god-like empowerment over other human lives and the drug of war combine, like the ecstasy of erotic love, to let our senses command our bodies. Killing unleashes within us dark undercurrents that see us desecrate and whip ourselves into greater orgies of destruction. The dead, treated with respect in peacetime, are abused in wartime. They become pieces of performance art. [I think of the body bomb scene in "Locker."]

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

SCC: and addition..should be..an addiction

More coffee needed, errands to run.

Posted by: laloomis | February 11, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Everyone.

he sky this morning is an eerie shade of glowing blue. Weird huh?

The road hasn't seen a plow since the weekend, but has become packed into something reasonably passable in a pinch.

There is still a smattering of blown snow for me to shovel, but nothing more. Many people have stoically cleared their sidewalks despite the lack of cooperating neighbors, resulting in many sidewalks to nowhere. The whole neighborhood is a complicated maze of passageways meandering through vast areas of perfectly undisturbed snow.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 11, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

What better way to start a snow day than with Sense & Sensibility (1995 version; Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant, etc).

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle!

Yoki-I want that chandelier, or one made in that fashion.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 11, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Now that's a great movie, TBG, even better for being faithful to Austen's plot! Enjoy!

Posted by: slyness | February 11, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Off to shovel some. Moderately windy. I have a cold. I will meditate on the Suessian Truthiness of this:

My hat is old.

I liked to hold.
My hat is old.
My teeth are gold.
And now my story
Is all told. - One Fish, Two Fish

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 11, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Done shoveling. I've salted my driveway to Ahu Dhabi standards. I've parked my car at the top of the hill so it can get some sun. If I really feel ambitious I will call the office to see if anybody is there. I sure hope not.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of one fish, two fish... I have a not-very-good video of the icicles formed on the ceramic fish that hang on our deck.

The reason I posted this video is because you can hear the birds in the background. Nice to have them back in our world.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

While I was at work Tuesday, my wife had chick-flick day. She went through Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightly version), Pretty Woman, The Wedding Date, and Wimbeldon. Hey, it's what we had laying around the house.

She has a particular fondness for for Pretty Woman. She was bedrested the last month of her pregnancy and would sneak out of the house and catch matinees of it while it was still in theaters.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

We've still got very liberal leave from the office today. We've got about six more inches to shovel off the driveway this morning, then decide when to go see about the van. Fortunately, its not too cold out, but that wind is still nasty. The hand grip at the end of the handle on the second snow shovel broke (cheap plastic s*&%t). Will need to replace it - that may have to wait for a while until the stores get re-stocked, and BEFORE another big storm is predicted. Right now the seven-day outlook is pretty decent - just a little clipper might come through next Tuesday evening.

Posted by: ebtnut | February 11, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all!

Great video, TBG! Thank you for sharing.

yello: I'm one of those folks who thinks Pretty Woman is destined to be a classic, but many very sane individuals question my enthusiasm.

bc: I read about half of the comments to Mr. A's very fine NASA article and there is a high troll quotient. Surprise!

Warm muffins, coffee, and OJ on the table. Extra coffee cuz it's cold here. But very clear.

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the provisions, MsJS, anything preceeded by "warm" is a winner this morning. 'tis very bright, very clear here, too.

Agree with you heartily re Pretty Women. Of course, Julia Roberts is a fine actress but I think that in Pretty Woman she set her standard. Richard Gere was probably at his almost best. I'm not a fan of his, but felt he reached his peak in An Officer and a Gentleman.

ps loved the clothes and the supporting actors in PW. Music....

Posted by: VintageLady | February 11, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

SCC preceded. Well, preceeded sounded right. :-)

From yesterday, finally remembered flower's name: amarylis. Spelling may be off here, too/two/tu.

Posted by: VintageLady | February 11, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Pretty Woman is, without doubt, a classic.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 11, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Always loved Roy Orbison. Oh, wait... yes... the movie too.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we're doing warm at CasaJS today. It's one of those classic frigid winter days in TWC.

A bit of Roy for a Thursday morning:

Posted by: MsJS | February 11, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Is it Thursday? I've completely lost track.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Somehow, the whole streetwalking-prostitute-to-riches story arc leaves me a little cold; plus, the expectation that a man whose lifetime sexual experiences have primarily been with paid performers will suddenly discover sexual fidelity and a meaningful emotional bond. It asks for too much suspension of disbelief.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Just came in from shoveling. My wife and I did the back driveway, and then we broke down the big snow plow ridge across the front driveway. Cleared off my truck and moved it into the sun. All that's left is about 25 feet in front of my truck, which my son and the sun will finish.

Now, to scout of some breakfast. Well, brunch. Okay, it'll be lunch. Whatever. I'm thinking some leftover bisghetti and meatballs.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 11, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It's been one full week since I've been out of the house! The show shovel elves have been here, and the sun is shining, so it's tempting to try to venture out, but I think the car might not start.

I might continue to let the world come to me instead and hunker down until spring.

After all, it's only six weeks away.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | February 11, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

SciTim-come on, it's just Cinderella. Don't look too deep.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 11, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

New Kit.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 11, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Tim may have found it more believable if the Gere character had gone into the bordello and carried Julia Roberts out, to the applause of the other prostitutes.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 11, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse