The Washington white-out

IMG_0491.JPG

3:55 p.m.: Pip is nervous as he surveys the first flakes of Snowmaggedon. He knows that if this gets really ugly he becomes someone's lunch.

IMG_0499.JPG

4:45 p.m.: Cynics deride my photographs for being mere "snapshots" in the same way that Capote said Kerouac's writing was just "typing." But if that's true, how come I get these incredible action shots of wildlife? In flight??? Give me a camera and it's like an instantaneous National Geographic situation.

IMG_0505.JPG

5:00 p.m.: Poe has snow on his mind.

IMG_0495.JPG

5:45 p.m.: The blueing hour. Some call it twilight, but in a big snow it's all skews blue.

IMG_0513.JPG

9:10 p.m.: Reconnaissance of outdoors reveals increasing snow accumulation and trees fending for themselves. I wanted to take this tree indoors and give it warmth by my hearth. Then it occurred to me that it could actually be used as fuel for the aforesaid fire. Am getting chainsaw now.

IMG_0516.JPG

Angus and Crow. Angus is hoping for 40 inches and pretty much the end of civilization as we know it. Crow is more easily pleased. He's such a good dog, he attempts to retrieve thrown snowballs. Like all rescue dogs he approaches life as a series of lucky breaks and nifty adventures. Snowmaggedon? What's not to like?

By Joel Achenbach  |  February 5, 2010; 9:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The storm before the storm
Next: Snowmaggedon: The musical

Comments

Nice pics Joel. But the scary suspended winged creature thingy is going to haunt me all night.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 5, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Natty Geo is clearly squandering your talents as a writer, Joel.

Posted by: -pj- | February 5, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

So that's what, about 4 inches in that last photo?

**fingers crossed that you are all safe and warm**

Posted by: MsJS | February 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Is that Joel's kitty cat?!? I think he looks alert, and is thinking that the snow makes birds easier to see.

Posted by: seasea1 | February 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Joel, does that bird have boobies?

Posted by: badsneakers | February 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I like the blueing picture.

Here in my part of Philadelphia the sky is full of snow, none of which has yet fallen. About 12 miles away in Germantown, it's been falling for a few hours.

The markets? My theory is that we serious procrastinators make out in the end. Today the stores weren't any more crowded than usual, stocked up with everything (including Penn Maid French Onion Dip, the very best).

One voice on the radio called it a *French Toast storm*, milk, eggs, bread. Eh, I had all that stuff, as did many others. We all headed right for the fresh seafood--had them steam shrimp for me, lobster for tomorrow night.

Life's a series of nifty breaks and culinary adventure, no?

Posted by: -dbG- | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I would say yes sneaks.

These are the before pictures right?

Posted by: dmd3 | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I return from the last shoveling of the night/day. About an inch had accumulated in the hour it took me to get to the end of the driveway. Normally, it would take me longer, but it has occurred to me that there is not much call for doing a really thorough job of it at this point.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 5, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

dmd, I was wondering that too. ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | February 5, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I think the storm continues - this says 1 to 3 inches per hour expected overnight:
The airport (National) is closed, the bus and rail service will be stopped soon (11 pm).

Posted by: seasea1 | February 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Blue footed
the Pobbles, with no toes.

Cooking in the Snow Times

I enjoyed ranch-style beans over stale tortilla chips with a dash of Texas Pete. Shiraz stands up to this cowboy treat.

I crave tri tip. Fax me some, those of you who know how to weedle and deal with the meat monger.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Rashomon, it was the blizzard of March '93. My ex and I were in London, celebrating my 40th birthday. At lunch in Covent Garden, the lady at the table next to us said that there had been snow in Jacksonville. I was astounded.

My mom had the dottirs at her house in the country; they had a ball. It was all gone by the time we got home.

Love the photos, Joel! You're good with the snow at dusk thing.

'Night all. Stay warm and safe!

Posted by: slyness | February 5, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Check your fax, CqP. The grocery bag should include frozen rhubarb too.

It must have started snowing right after I last checked. 1.5 inches on top of my car in 20 minutes.

Hmmmm.

Posted by: -dbG- | February 5, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

dBG -- tri tip and rhubarb. Like I died and gone to heaven but better. Thnx and pinto bean proletariat on the way to you.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 5, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

nice pics and captions, joel.

sneaks, you crack me up.

boy am i glad i traveled to the east coast last weekend and not this weekend.

well, our rain has been steady all day, will continue through tomorrow.

stay warm and safe, y'all.

Posted by: LALurker | February 5, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

CquaP -- story on our TV news about Santa Maria barbeque. Besides the tri tip, you need red oak. I don't think it will fit in the fax, but I will try.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 5, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

"Into the teeth of the face of the maw of the..." I am so going to steal that.

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Ho Nellie, smackeroos and kissies.

Here is a good approximation of the tri tip from Glick's butcher in Visalia, CA

Some of the beef comes from the famous Harris Ranch on I-95

Oven Roasted Tri-Tip

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
Dry rub or marinade of your choice.

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound beef tri-tip, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch
Pan Sauce: (do not make if you use a wet marinade)
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh herb of your choice such as thyme or rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Flavor Step: If you're using the garlic rub or a dry rub, combine all ingredients and generously season or rub the meat all over and let it stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Or cover the roast and leave it overnight in the refrigerator; let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours before cooking. If you're using a wet marinade, puncture the meat all over with a meat fork or skewer. Place it in a zip-lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade over the meat. Marinate (cover if using a bowl), for up to 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. If the meat has been refrigerated, let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours before cooking.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat it dry. Discard the marinade. Place the tri-tip, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, then begin checking the internal temperature: You should remove the roast at 115 degrees F to 120 degrees F for rare, 120 degrees F to 125 degrees F for medium-rare.

Transfer the meat to a carving board or platter, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving to allow the residual heat to complete the cooking and the juices to stabilize.

Meanwhile, make the optional pan sauce: Pour off any fat from the roasting pan. Place the pan over a burner and add the stock, wine, and herbs. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the sauce almost to a syrup. Whisk in the mustard and taste for salt and pepper.

Slice the meat into thin slices across the grain. If you made the sauce, pour it over the sliced meat, and serve.

Bruce Aidells is the founder of Aidells Sausage Company & has written and co-authored nine cookbooks including meat and poultry chapters for The New Joy of Cooking.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

That's not a bird. Aurora: Goddess of the dawn. You know the kind of wood carving sailors affix to the bow of sailing vessels.

Posted by: omnigood | February 5, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Well omni, that would explain the boobies!

Posted by: badsneakers | February 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Blue-footed boobies?

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Kerouac was some typist:

I had a terrible time learning to type. High school typing class produced a grade that could conceivably have nixed admission to choosy colleges. (On the other hand, I was even worse at sports, especially those that involved fast-moving projectiles).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Silly scTim, tis ornithology that shall answer your question about BFBs

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

The Pobble Who Has No Toes
by Edward Lear

The Pobble who has no toes
Had once as many as we;
When they said "Some day you may lose them all;"
He replied "Fish, fiddle-de-dee!"
And his Aunt Jobiska made him drink
Lavender water tinged with pink,
For she said "The World in general knows
There's nothing so good for a Pobble's toes!"

The Pobble who has no toes
Swam across the Bristol Channel;
But before he set out he wrapped his nose
In a piece of scarlet flannel.
For his Aunt Jobiska said "No harm
Can come to his toes if his nose is warm;
And it's perfectly known that a Pobble's toes
Are safe, -- provided he minds his nose!"

The Pobble swam fast and well,
And when boats or ships came near him,
He tinkledy-blinkledy-winkled a bell,
So that all the world could hear him.
And all the Sailors and Admirals cried,
When they saw him nearing the further side -
"He has gone to fish for his Aunt Jobiska's
Runcible Cat with crimson whiskers!"

But before he touched the shore,
The shore of the Bristol Channel,
A sea-green porpoise carried away
His wrapper of scarlet flannel.
And when he came to observe his feet,
Formerly garnished with toes so neat,
His face at once became forlorn,
On perceiving that all his toes were gone!

And nobody ever knew,
From that dark day to the present,
Whoso had taken the Pobble's toes,
In a manner so far from pleasant.
Whether the shrimps, or crawfish grey,
Or crafty Mermaids stole them away -
Nobody knew: and nobody knows
How the Pobble was robbed of his twice five toes!

The Pobble who has no toes
Was placed in a friendly Bark,
And they rowed him back, and carried him up
To his Aunt Jobiska's Park.
And she made him a feast at his earnest wish
Of eggs and buttercups fried with fish, -
And she said "It's a fact the whole world knows,
That Pobbles are happier without their toes!"

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Poe looks like he could use a scarf.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 5, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

My mother was from New England and loved beans, especially baked. She would frequently sing their praises. Here is but one of the songs she would share around our dinner table:

Beans, beans, good for the heart.
The more you eat, the more you fart.
The more you fart, the better you feel.
Let's have beans for another meal.

I don't particularly care for beans. Can you blame me?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

lovely CqP

Posted by: omnigood | February 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Slyness, it wasn't the blizzad of '93, which produced major snowfall up and down the east coast. The one I was talking about had been forecast as a major storm, but the track shifted at the last minute and it only produced 2 or 3 inches of snow in the DC area -- leaving the TV news crew standing around looking foolish.

Posted by: rashomon | February 5, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Yello, my grandma was from Boston, too. Beans were "Saturday night supper." Every Saturday night. On Sundays she made "French pancakes" - crepes. Can you tell she was making do with little money but some style?

We're getting a bit of snow tonight - stupid car (stupid driver, actually) spun out on me making the first turn in our neighborhood. No harm done, nothing damaged - just scary and a reminder to slow down. Which probably doesn't apply to those of you getting real snow, since you'll be staying in, mostly. Good luck!

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 5, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

A sad storm related death (not sure if it is the same storm system). This will be difficult for the US hockey team as well, Brian Burke is the coach?/GM?

Posted by: dmd3 | February 5, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Photo #1--"Tis someone knocking softly at the shutter."

Photo #2--Grip

Photo #3
There comes Poe with his raven like Barnaby Rudge
Three-fifths of him genius and two-fifths sheer fudge.

Ravens, like wolves, were familiars of primitive gods of the dead. We won't even touch Noah's aven. Because these dark birds sound like they're imitating human speech, ravens symbolize prophecy: nature revealing its secrets. Their black color made the ravens' prophecies baleful. Called "ominous appearers, it was only occasionally that these blck birds didn't play the villian. You can be sure that Elijah was glad that they brought him food in the wildernes--whatever leftovers the shoppers didn't clear off the shelves of D.C. supermarkets.

Posted by: laloomis | February 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, maybe its an Anchiornis (and not Grip) or should that be Ach-iornis?

Posted by: laloomis | February 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I am just a wee bit tipsy, so please forgive me in advance. I usually don't drink these days, but am making an exception tonight. I temped this week, working with another woman who was laid off from a brokerage house last October. She's fiftyish, about my age. This is the first assignment she's gotten so far. She's gone to ***15*** temp agencies, and in four months this is the first job she's gotten. She's professional looking, competent, pleasant. That's scary. Really scary - I thought the reason for few temp jobs was because I am only signed with one agency.

Anyway. Am buying a very expensive bow for my almost-15 year old who is at this moment practicing Bach's double violin concerto in her room. Makes me glad I am thrifty and squeeze those pennies till they squeal, to make the extravagance allowable.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is Joel trying to play both sides of the dog/cat issue?

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 5, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Wheezy11, go for the bow. If a 15 year old is not rebelling against the discipline of mastering a musical instrument, you've got a rare bird on your hands.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

"Three-fifths of him genius and two-fifths sheer fudge." This sounds just like me! Well except for the genius part...

Posted by: --dr-- | February 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I have decided for the bow, douglasbarber. It's a thing of beauty. It gives her a tiny bit more confidence, which thrills a parent's heart.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Some people -- losers, I call them -- have suggested that this weather event should be called the Snowcalypse. This is silly, obviously. You need the "poc!" in the middle of Snowpocalypse to give it that resonance and power. Snowcalypso, on the other hand, is the style of the theme music to Northern Exposure.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Did the first pass at the driveway, Cleared about 10-12" plus the slides where the angle of repose had been exceeded. It's near white out out there. Our front porch bulb burned out while my wife was sweeping the steeps. I don't think the timing was a coincidence.

I've been doing the picture an hour out my front door like ScitTim is doing. I missed 10 o'clock, but they are all beginning to look alike.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 6, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

9" here at midnight, after 14 hours of snow. And they're still saying the worst is yet to come.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Read Stegner's "Angle of Repose" a year or so ago. Is it too late to nominate it for the good titles contest? It was a good book, but a great title.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 6, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Snowmagaddon, Super Snow Bowl and Super Kahuna are some storm names my wife has found.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Wheezy,
douglaslbarber said it all.

I wonder about the notion that different brain wiring divides the world into piano people (hands able to do quite different things simultaneously) and violin people (hand collaboration).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I've never heard of that, Dave. She's actually quite good at piano, too, though unschooled at it. She's a whiz at ukelele. They might have something, though, with the different brain wiring. The girls' dad was a violin/viola guy. I'm a piano person. My violin girl is in most ways much more like her dad.

My clarinet girl has a very big test very early tomorrow so I must bid you all adieu and go to bed.

Posted by: Wheezy11 | February 6, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

it rained here for 17 hours straight. two and 1/2 inches accumulated in the dog bowl on the porch steps, a full 4 inches in the water bowls in the back yard. thus, i reckon 2.5-3 inches of precip. the link to this chart is far from authoritative, but when it snows in these parts the temps. usually dodn't fall below 27F. according to this chart, 2.5-3 inches of rain is the equivalent of up to 30 inches of snow. jm&j. blizzard. the folks in the flood plain of sugar creek in the vicinity of the clt. merchandise mart are surely out of their homes because of flooding.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

sending energetic vibes to the DC/metro boodlers for the purposes of the shoveling-yet-to-come, and wishes that there's enough hershey's and marshmallows around for lots of hot cocoa. be careful out in the snow.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Evening all
Working tonight near BWI airport,looks to be a foot on the ground and snowing like a SOB.Wind is blowing 30-40 mph and it is getting very nasty out.Our lights here at the hotel have flickered several times.I have everything ready just in case we lose power.I had to lock our front door,because the motion sensor was opening it every time the wind blows,and it is blowing constantly.

more in a bit

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 6, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

hey, gwe. just because the hp will be busy...

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

OK, my only (first) comment is that we are so distracted by the weather that we don't get all the other factors.

What this tells us is that we need to get out and enjoy, not that we need to go home and bake turnips.

Posted by: russianthistle | February 6, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Did the first round of shoveling and went for a drive a little while ago, as has been my wont during nighttime snowstorms since I was a teenager.

Sledding though the empty and unplowed streets and roads, feeling the front tires scrabbling for traction - but only just *so* - powering out of the turns, catching and balancing slides with application of throttle and brake, curving smooth gentle arcs of four-wheel drift around corners, and punctuating one run in a large empty parking lot with a couple of handbrake 'Bootleg' turns, intentionally pirouetting the car around 180 deg. to its direction of travel, so that it is travelling backwards in a forward gear, and using the throttle to slow and reverse direction.

Enjoying the dark desolate beauty of a snowy country lane, headlights revealing confectionary trees -- limbs laden with frosty icing reaching down towards the road, making 30 miles per hour feel like a million, and forming a narrow passage to home, a warm drink, and soon enough, bed.

As the adrenaline subsides, I hear the wind howling through those trees, and know that the shoveling is far from over.

And thinking I should buy an adult-sized sled.

G'night, all.

bc

PS. thank goodness it's not a full moon tonight.

Posted by: -bc- | February 6, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

i have a tele, rt, a christmas present from my wife. a blessing. starting to get some chops down.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

and maybe some pups tonight...momma is nesting...

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Just shoveled. I think we're just on the edge of a foot of snow at the moment.

Posted by: joelache | February 6, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys have to shovel around the clock? This is so you don't wake up with the stuff blocking your doors and windows? Sorry, I have no idea how this works...

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 6, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I think we may have to tunnel out later!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 6, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

It's the same amount of snow you have to move. It's all a matter of how many tasks you want to do. I like to keep it to a half hour to an hour at a time.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 6, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Holy snow angels Yello, you're still up shoveling?

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 6, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Just stepped outside for a moment.I have a 2 foot drift in front of our front door.Alot all of the cars in the parking lot have very little snow on their northside,but a huge snowdrift on the southside.A guest came in a little while ago from work and said there was a dozen or so cars,just stranded in the middle of the road.

I am holding down the fort....for now....

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 6, 2010 2:52 AM | Report abuse

Stay warm GWE! Hope it's not as big as the hype.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 6, 2010 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Thundersnow!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 6, 2010 4:12 AM | Report abuse

I get off in an hour,not even gonna attempt to do anything with my car till later.

Everyone have a good day and be safe,this snow is very heavy and blizzard conditions are still happening.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | February 6, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

It is as if I did not shovel at all. Snow is now dryer, like dust motes in the street light. No wind. And, the cottony muffled no sounds, but the creaking of bamboo....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

The 2010 Comprehensive Daily Kos/Research 2000 Poll of Self-Identified Republicans.

Posted by: Boko999 | February 6, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

It's as if I didn't shovel at all. The entire neighborhood is a sea of white three feet deep. I am completely demoralized.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 6, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Faxin' some warm spirits to YJs pocket flask

Posted by: DNA_Girl | February 6, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Late night shovelers do not despair. If you were shoveling wet snow last night, and your driveway has now drifted over with dry you have saved yourself a world of misery. Twice this winter I have returned to Chez Frostbitten and had to first shovel a foot of snow off the front walk, then chip away at the wet snow and ice that accumulated before the real stuff started. The chipping could have been avoided had I been there to shovel early on.

We had that blue hour in St. Paul last night. Light snow fell all day and the sky cast a blue glow over everything so I guess it was really a blue day.

Stay safe and warm all.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | February 6, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. I'm a little envious of the DC area snowbound persons but not that much. There is something as too much snow.

Here it's cold and clear, no chance of snow until next Thursday. Rats.

Dogs can go no.1 and no.2 in the snow. I've seen it. Often.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | February 6, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

OK. So. That's a lot of snow. Haven't actually been out in it yet but can report that it's a lot of snow. My midnight shoveling is almost untraceable.

Posted by: joelache | February 6, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning All.

I hear you, Joel, abut the untraceable shoveling. There was, perhaps, a slight depression where I had shoveled before, but it seems as if bare areas just captured drifts. Sisyphean Shoveling.

We have a bit more than 18 inches of new snow, but closer to 20 total accumulation where the old snow remained. And there are drifts that are easily up to 2 feet.

What is more significant, to me, is the weight of this snow. This is dense serious snow. Snow you don't want to meet in a dark alley. And, of course, it is sticky snow. We have already lost several major branches from our trees. Magnolia trees do not, evidently, have much give.

Although there is still a brutal amount of snow removal to do, I feel giddy with relief that we still have power. I hear many in our region are not so lucky.

So stay warm, everyone, and keep an eye out for wolves.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Well. Hmmm. You know when the digital clock starts blinking right next to the bed when the power goes out and comes back on again? And even though your eyes are closed, you know it's blinking?

But I didn't know what the time *really* was, as most of my clocks are digital. Okay, I thought, in my early morning stupor, I still have my watch. Grappled for the watch on my nightstand, and it said (approximately) 1:30. Now, even though I still have sleep in my eyes, I knew that it still couldn't be in the early hours of the morning, as I actually turned out the lights after finishing that next chapter at approximately 1:00 this morning. So, it would have to be the afternoon already. . .

Dumfounded, yet increasing in alertness (*sigh*), I said "Oh, I know. I've got that little battery clock in the office. I'll look at that." On my way down the hall, I remembered that I had disemboweled it of its battery months ago, because the alarm couldn't be turned off (it's an old clock).

And, then, I looked at my computer. *Palm of hand to forehead*

Of Course!!!!

You know, it helps to hold the watch in the right direction. Upside down really is not helpful at all.

And now I'm awake.

*dang*

Nevertheless, I'm thrilled that the power didn't go out for longer than it did (however long that was). All seems to be well. The pine trees outside my window are groaning under their profuse blanket of snow. I have no idea what the birds do in this weather. There's no WaPo dead tree edition on my inside doorstep. It's kinda Twilight Zoney.

Middle of the Pacific? You still want some of this? Here. . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | February 6, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Southern magnolias do well in hurricanes and seem to survive Portland, Oregon's ice storms without much trouble. But southern pines indicate that snow load is a factor in surviving the snowy North. I recall someone's research claiming that slash pines (Florida) have weaker limbs than loblolly (more northern) or virginia pines (even more northern).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 6, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

We only got about 1 1/2 to 2 inches here overnight, now a total of about 10 1/2. So the we're apparently just south of the edge of the area that was expecting the massive overnight snowfall. Still snowing steadily here, of course, and apparently will all day. But it is extremely fine snow, and the rate isn't very high; certainly no inch-per-hour or anything like that.

Got all three Korean kids in the house, plus the SIL and the four grandkiddies. D3 made a stop at the Firehook Bakery in town and brought with her a bunch of terrific bagels, a loaf od onion bread (the divine smell of which haunted me all night), and two tubs oif cream cheese, one of which has lox already in it. You KNOW what I'm having for breakfast. I'll lay out some in the Ready Room for those of you out and about.

My chronology is all messed up in my head; since I took off yesterday, it felt like Saturday, so this feels like Sunday. Tomorrow is gonna feel like Monday...

The other good news is with four able-bodied 20-somethings in the house, I don't have to shovel, which in any event is out of the question for me at my age and condition. Lots of cooking to do today, though.

Everybody stay hunkered down. Be safe and warm.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Could not open back door due to drifting.

Almost no evidence of all the shoveling, however, since the first wave was wet and slushy now to be packed by the tiny tiny but persistent flakes...Frosti,thanks for the detail on the snow layers.

Were is my staff? Needed coffee in bed before the work of unsticking the back door.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

coffee is on the way via a gaggle of st. bernards i rounded up from our dog show friends in G'boro. spirited coffee, i might add.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Jack, just the ticket, with fur and a firkin. I woke up wondering if 1) the neighbors would start the day in their hot tub, a snow storm ritual for them and 2) if puppies were out and tenderly about.

The day is young and long.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Stay warm and dry folks. May your snow be light and willing bodies to man the shovels be plentiful.

And may your power stay on.

Posted by: --dr-- | February 6, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all! I'm glad the Greenman survived the night, thanks for the updates, big guy! Jack, I hope the puppies come today and are all safe and sound. And it's most comforting to know that everyone has power. Around here, snow isn't a problem for the grid, generally speaking; it's when the ice comes around that we have issues.

I stand corrected, Rashomon.

Only one of the four amaryllis bulbs I put in the fridge last fall sprouted, and it's now opening a dark red bloom. In the depths of February, I really appreciate that. For an amateur like myself, I suppose a 25 percent success rate is good; I'm certainly not complaining. One of the bulbs is squishy so out it goes. Last night I bought myself a white orchid at Lowe's which I will enjoy. It's in a tiny pot so I'll have to repot it soon. We're halfway through winter, spring will come!

Posted by: slyness | February 6, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Knock, knock. Checking in on y'all to see how it's going. Glad to see so many of the Mid-Atlantic boodlers already signed in.

I've got hot coffee and warm blueberry muffins out on the table. Also have eggs, peppers, cheese, salsa, and tomatoes for huevos rancheros if anyone's interested. Puts a bit of energy in your step for those who must shovel.

Posted by: MsJS | February 6, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

You're up early, jack... any puppies yet?

Here are some pictures of our yard. One particular photo is my vantage point from my spot on the couch (this is where I boodle). It looks weird to see snow so high on the deck.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Sounds nasty down there, stay safe everyone.

GWE, snow and thunder is strange, happens here once in a while.

If there is a lot of drifting those of you with outside ventilation for your furnaces on the side of the house (like ours) you may want to check that it is not blocked by snow, not good if the carbon monoxide fills the house. Had to check ours several times last year for both the furnace and the water heater when our snow accumulation started to get high.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I looked outside at about 6:00 this morning and I think I had less than a foot of snow. That has changed in the past couple of hours. It is piling up rapidly right now.

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

On the news they said this storm is huge, stretching from the Atlantic Ocean all the way to Missouri!

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Great advice dmd about the furnace ventilation. A few years ago in a nearby town a young girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning from that very thing.

We are having an occasional flake, so few I could almost count them. Stay warm and dry DC friends and shovel carefully or leave it for younger people. Off to the hair salon and to have lunch with an old friend.

Posted by: badsneakers | February 6, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I, too, find little detectable trace of previous shoveling, other than a few higher elevations where I'd deposited excess snow. Went out and measured 17.5 inches of in an area relatively undisturbed by the wind, and it's still coming down unabated. Forecasters are calling for more, and I believe it.

The howling wind continutes (really, you can hear it, MotP) while I make coffee and french toast with warm banana compote. Girding to to battle with the snow shortly (long johns under the Gladiator gear, and a forged steel snow shovel wielded like Gerard Butler's sword in "300," or Ovechkin wielding a hockey stick (Nice one-hander the other night, BTW). I'll hold it over my head with both hands, asking for intervention and strength from the Snow Miser, Qailertetang, Odin, the spirits of the northern lights and the other various winter weather dieties for strength and courage for the upcoming battle.

Snowpocalypse is a cool term, but by Hemidall's horn, I leave some personal room for a good Raganrok.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

My favorite name for this storm is SnOMG.

The yardstick on the deck shows 22 inches now. Subtract the 3-inch base and we've got... tada!... 19 inches for now and still falling hard.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That is a lot of snow TBG, I am a little worried about some of my plants this year, without any snow coverage it can be very cold for them. Only a few really cold days here this winter so far, but it doesn't take much - the snow is a great insulator.

bc loved your description of going out in the snow, fresh undisturbed snow is so great.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "Ragnarok"

Sheesh.

Perhaps 'Snowarok' or 'Fimbulwinter' would be better -- 'the Snows of Fate,' or 'the Snows of the End Times.'

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 6, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

It was 72 here yesterday. Had the back door open yesterday afternoon.

Oh, but there was a huge storm here last night. I instigated a huge confrontation with my husband's boss on the phone last night. My husband was supposed to have begun work at 7:30 last night, but he began at noon. He couldn't break for lunch: I had to hand-carry to him a soup bowl with the last of our homemade chicken noodle soup, along with a tortilla covered with grated cheddar cheese and peppers.

He promised we'd eat dinner out, the proviso that we be home by 7:30. Then his tune changed, saying that no dinner break--even at home--was possible because of so many problems. I ran my fingers over his keyboard, which caught the attention of his woman "partner" at the other end. His boss then called, at which point I explained my husband's near-total exhaustion, the fact that he felt he couldn't even break away for his computer for meals. I told her of my husabnd's appearance, I told his boss that she is a slave driver, and that Wells could go eff itself.

I'd glad I spoke up, since the choice is quite possibly putting my husband into an early grave from overwork and nervous exhaustion. Needless to say, I was able to get him away from the computer for a very late dinner out.

And when my husband's pager went off at 4:30 a.m. and then about 10 minutes later in the still of the night? I heard it, but with his hearing aids out, my husband is near-deaf. I let him lay in peaceful slumber, getting the rest he so desperately needs. I felt entirely justified, stretched out peacefully in the dark, knowing I was doing the right thing, knowing that that little piece of metal could beep its little bleating, bleeping heart out, and I wasn't going to bother to stir a muscle or raise a finger or a hand to shake my husband out of deep sleep.

If we're out on the street soon, well, we're out on the street. If there is fallout from my verbal firestorm, then we'll face the embers and deal with the ashes.

Posted by: laloomis | February 6, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I hope everybody in the snow zone is enjoying the event, staying warm and safe.

I have a recipe for Super Bowl snacking--it doesn't meet Michael Pollan's standard for food but it's yummy and very easy to make, and I think it's unusual. Probably requires a leap of faith if you've never heard of it, but I have NEVER seen anybody taste it and have a negative reaction.

Here's the recipe: canned chicken + grated onions + cream cheese. Serve with club crackers.

Now, not to harp on about it too much, but this is "just the facts": I'm wearing my shorts, t-shirt and sneakers out to my sunny backyard to pick tomatoes--it's mostly the cherry tomatoes that have produced well this year, but I have some of the "Celebrity" variety and a couple Roma vines that are doing okay, not great.

Posted by: kbertocci | February 6, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I slept in, and only just got up to see the progress of the accumulation. Holy Moses.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 6, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

kbertocci - it is only because of my extreme fondness for you because of your wisdom and kind nature that you are still living.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

kb... sounds wonderful. Enjoy a tomato for me, will you please?

Give us an update on the job.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

But, also in your defense, that Superbowl snack sounds wonderfully decadent.

And seriously, kbertocci, enjoy your warm weather. We live vicariously through you at times like this.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow, still coming down steadily. Looks like another inch or so since dawn. We will be pushing 20 inches soon.

Of course, that's theoretical. Snow compression if kicking in. That is, even though 20 inches worth of snow may have fallen, the stuff is collapsing in on itself.

But it is still just as heavy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Boodle.

CP, our lights flickered a bit last night, but never wne tout. Thank goodness.

We have not shoveled anything yet. I think we have at least 24 inches of snow so far. I haven't measured it yet, but the snow is at the same level on my mailbox as the last big storm.

It's supposed to snow for the rest of the day. Great.

I'm a little concerend about a tree in my front yard. I don't know what kind of tree it is (I know it's an evergreen), but the top is bent over. Luckily, it's not hear the house. I'll have to take some pictures.

Looks like the wires for our street lights may come down today. They are weighed down with branches.

Stay warm and safe Boodle!

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Today's shoveling shall begin with the deck. An issue that was identified when we bought this house is that the deck is not quite so well attached to the house as current code would require for fresh construction. I wouldn't like it to pull away from the house, especially not with the dog beneath it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 6, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "went out"

"not near the house"

I don't know if it can hear. :o)

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

SCC: "went out"

"not near the house"

I don't know if it can hear. :o)

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. I got an error message.

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow. That is a winter storm. It is at about the 20" mark that I begin examining roofs, trees and any other weight-bearing items warily. And vow to shovel only the barest minimum required; a suburban driveway is not a hill I choose to die on.

Glad to see most of you still have power.

Take care, all.

Posted by: Yoki | February 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Moose, I am thinking that the snow fall here is over 19 but the blowing is tricky. i measured 29 inches in a spot that is not an obvious drift....the plow has not been by since yesterday around 3. At that time, the plow took a run up our hill, to slide down twice. Parking on the street is ill advised here. However, why people try this hill, I do not know.

Perhaps I will make enchiladas today, with a bean/yogurt paste embellished with green chilies in the mix. And, garnish with verde sauce.

Am watching Rob Roy, the better of the two Scots costume dramas/bold fighting (Brave Heart remains an abomination)...wish I had a brace of highlanders to dig out the car. Am thinking that this may begin noonish. Or, I might take the lazy view and wait for the thaw....is that expected after snowstorm take two on Tuesday?

KB -- eat a cherry tomato for me; candy, simply candy.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Snowing more heavily here now. I think our 10-inch measurment was way off--wind may have blown snow off table top.

The snow plow has been down our street a couple times, which "sounds" like a good thing. But the trade-off is the plowed ridge of snow in front of my truck at the end of the driveway is easily 3 feet high, and looks rock-solid. And we happen to have two driveways--the one out front, and the one on the side street coming from the garage. So that's two massive ridges to be shoveled.

D2 has claimed there will soon be a family snowball fight outside, with much frolicking in the snow. Little do they know. They are all in the process of bundling up, even my wife. Me -- I didn't get to be the wise old patriarch of this clan by being stoopid. WOPs like me know when to stay inside and let youthful energy run its course. Besides, they say they are going to shovel the snow ridge. Hah.

Last evening after dinner we had this big pot of leftover chili, and no more room in the fridge. So we simply opened the back door to the deck and sat it out there. When my son came home from work (they closed his restaurant at 8:30 instead of 2 a.m.) he brought a 12-pack of beer. That, too, is sitting on the deck by the door. We now just say we're going to put something in the walk-in freezer.

My wife suggested I do a particular repair honey-do. I said I would...if she'd shovel a path to the garage so I could get the tools needed for that job. Project has been canceled due to inclement spouse.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

We are only getting the local channels on DirecTV here. If this becomes too much of a problem, we shall have to locate and dig out the ladder and attempt to scale the side of the house with a broom to get to the dish.

I think we are okay with the local channels for now.

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Good morning!

We are getting snow, followed by a bit of snow, and then maybe we'll change over to snow in the evening...

I was hoping to go back to school on Monday, but it's not looking very promising. Even the kids are hoping to go to school.

I had a full week of snow days interrupted by a conference that, luckily, did not get cancelled. I stayed indoors and practiced my two sessions again and again. I felt I had the Steve Jobs aura all day Thursday. I have never had so many compliments. I hope what I showed makes a difference at the schools where the attendees work.

KB, enjoy your tomato bounty.

Posted by: abeac1 | February 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Mudge you have discovered the Canadian fridge!

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

One of the best things about a snowstorm is often the gathering of neighbors. Especially when I lived in an apartment or townhouse. Now, even though our houses aren't too far apart, it seems we all stay inside with ourselves.

That's why I love this boodle. Here I am, on my warm couch in my [so far] warm family room and enjoying the company of friends far and wide. Some are experiencing this storm, too. Others have storms of their own. Others, still, are eating vine-ripe tomatoes from their yard.

Could anything be better?

Chicken is in the crockpot. What didn't fit is now in the oven for sandwiches later. Drop by anytime!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

All the Boodlers having troubles today have my sympathy.

As jack noted, there is surely some flooding in our area. My own little stream, the Derita Branch of Little Sugar Creek, rose to the top of the banks but barely overtopped them.

Talk of faxing snow and the usual talk of foodfaxing made me think of this:
only it's not snow coming over the radio...

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 6, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Moose, our Direct TV dish is covered, too, only getting local channels. TV is right now reporting 20 inches in Waldorf and a cell right over us and southern PG County, we're getting hammered.

Predicting it will end up north first, Montgomery County about 5 p.m., down here by 8 or 9 p.m.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that be a walk-out freezer, Mudge?

That was one of the things we liked about winter. My mom would make a pot of beef stock and put it on our porch overnight to let the fat solidify. She'd bring it in the next morning, scrape the fat off and make some delicious soup. We frequently stored stuff out on our porch during winter.

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

From the Capital Weather Gang... thundersnow captures on video...

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

TV just reported at wind gust at Andrews AFB (halfway between CqP and me) of 38 MPH.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I am getting increasingly cranky with the local television stations. Do they really think people who are in the middle of a snowstorm want to view *nothing* but continuous coverage of a snowstorm?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Mudge.

The wind is strangely absent in my corner of the 100 acre woods. I sleep lightly, and kept waiting for wind and the thumping shedding of snow in the wake.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Excellent point, Padouk.

Idiot that I am, last night I decided to watch an old movie. So I put on...Dr. Zhivago. Snow, ice, blizzards. I prolly shoulda watched Beach Blanket Bingo instead.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | February 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The plow just went by, carefully, down the hill.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

We are watching Jacques Pepin and Julia Childs on PBS. I just love their easy banter.

Posted by: Moose13 | February 6, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Loomis. It is amazingly frustrating and thankless to work for a boss that trespasses upon its employees' personal needs.

I've experienced that. There's no easy answer that doesn't run the risk of the boss taking umbrage and then searching for "unrelated" reasons to fire you.

An union would help, or filing a complaint to the EEO, if you have proof he's getting unequally overworked relative to the other managers. You may be out on the streets, but don't make it cheap or easy.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | February 6, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Funny, Mudge. I just added Dr. Z to my Netflix list. Today, however, I'm watching Splendor in the Grass. Sounds like there should be some warm weather hiding in there.

Posted by: abeac1 | February 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Abc- I saw the most recent one between Xmas and NJD -- the ending was not the ending of the other one....a son and not a daughter? Better go read the book.

Both Julie Christie and Kiera Knightly have the same interesting and petulant lower lip....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Wilbrod. That's quite a dismal mess.

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

==============
==============
The post published this picture of the snow on a tree which looks so much EXACTLY like Nixon that you immediately think it's fake:

Its a MIRACLE! He's sending us a message from the Other Side!

But you can ignore it; whatever he's telling us is is probably a lie.

--faye kane, homeless brain
Read more of my smartmouth opinions at http://tinyurl.com/fayescave

Posted by: Knee_Cheese_Zarathustra | February 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I also really enjoy the shows with Jacques Pepin and Julia Child, Moose. They always enjoy tweaking each other and do it very well. "Well, you can do that if you want", one of them will say. "It's your recipe."

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

had my own weather adventure today. got up around 4:30 (nature's calling) and noticed water on the floor coming in through the base of the wall. it was raining like mad, one hour over an inch. we've had flash flood warnings all morning. i thought maybe the backyard had flooded, yet my place should be high enough to be ok.

this goes on for a couple of hours, then i notice a very small amount of water dripping from the roof. i decided to go check my roof, half of which is flat. occasionally the drainage pipe gets backed up with needles and such. leaks have happened before, but not in this particular part of my ceiling.

had to wade through 4-5 inches of water just to get to the roof stairs. get up there, and lo and behold, on the entire flat half of my roof: 4-6 inches of standing water (depending on which part). the drain pipe had stopped working completely. i was like holy crap. waded to the corner of my roof where the drain is and removed a handful of leaves and needles. waterfall conditions for several minutes as the whole thing drained furiously. i am so lucky that nothing gave way and flooded my place. geez louise.

Posted by: LALurker | February 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

ahahahahah

I've never seen the original....I'll pretend I didn't read that.

Posted by: abeac1 | February 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Abc- I like the music in both; indeed the second version is playing in my head now:

And, the classic and baialakish-David Lean version from the trailer

Good snow movies.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow, LALurker! That's quite a story. Great that you got up there and diagnosed the problem when you did.

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

wow... lurker. Glad it worked out. Hope you were safe unclogging that pipe.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

the flat part of my roof was actually designed to be sort of like a deck or roof to sunbathe on. i never go up there except to clean the leaves off to prevent drainage problems. i've obviously been negligent this year (not that this should technically be my responsibility, but that's another story). structurally safe to be up there, but not safe to have all that water overhead.

Posted by: LALurker | February 6, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

LALurker,
I'm reminded of the local Dillard's department store whose roof failed during Hurricane Frances due to rain (not wind), setting off the sprinklers, which soaked everything not affected by the roof failure and flooding.

Loomis, it's not such a bad thing for your husband to be in demand, but if his supervisor is so closely managing his comings and goings, he also needs to think about keeping the employee in decent shape. A home break for soup seems reasonable.

(That would apply to outfits like the White House. It's to be expected that there will be all-nighters with pizza delivery, but it's not good if senior staff burn out too rapidly. General Marshall had the right idea during World War II. He thought no good decisions had ever been made after 5 pm).

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | February 6, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Usually, DC looks like she was within range of some sort of Pepto-Bismol explosion. Which works, because it's easy to spot the pink Gumby. But not today. I had to put a red hat on her so I can find her. In the giant drift that is our back yard, her head is all that's above snow level. She couldn't be happier.

Posted by: LostInThought | February 6, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

LiT, I first read DC as our city....works for a moment or two.

For those tired of snow, the flowers are blooming at Annies in CA

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

TBG -- the picture of your deck looks as if you are being invaded by a battalion of gnomes in white pointy hats.

Posted by: nellie4 | February 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I like that General Marshall comment, DotC. This morning on "Weekend Edition" Scott Simon interviewed Hank Paulson about his new book. Paulson said that during the financial meltdown they were working horribly long hours and that, with that much stress your perception gets distorted and that small problems look like big ones and big problems look insurmountable (I'm paraphrasing there). Good reasons to heed Marshall's advice.

Posted by: -pj- | February 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, watching Pepco now is interesting. I think that it is getting worse:

Posted by: russianthistle | February 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Just once, when those people in the studio ask the reporter on the street what's going on, I want the reporter to say

"It's snowing morons. It's been snowing all day. What the heck do you think is going on? It's Snow Snow Snow Snow SNOW FRICKEN SNOW!! HAHAHHHAHHHHAAAA "

'cause I think that would be worthy of an Emmy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If anyone has a flat roof or a low sloped roof may want to be careful of the snow accumulation, especially if it is drifting. Do DC building codes take into account significant snow load?

Only once have we had to shovel the roof, it was in a particularly bad storm - about 1998, our first year in our old house and we received at least 22" with drifting, followed by several other storms - most snow I can remember. Our narrow walkway to the house was at least 4 feet high after all the shovelling. A later change to the front entrance made it much easier to shovel when storms went through, much wider walkway.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Angus: 40" of snow would be *just fine* with me.

As it is, settling for about six: http://twitpic.com/11pah8

And having a grand old time watching one of the wires strung between two nearby telephone poles trying to settle into a standing wave. All the others are motionless, watching too, I suppose.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 6, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

A little diversion for the snow weary, Sunshine coast of BC - Olympic torch.

dr, there are people spinning wool!

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Three words, RD_Padouk. Turn it off.

Posted by: Yoki | February 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Yoki!!!!

Want some snow?

And, what's for lunch, anybody? Whaddya want me to bring?

Posted by: -ftb- | February 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Americas Cup goes NUTZ!!!!

Check out the article in the Post

This isn't going to be your father's yacht. America and the Swiss... or subtitled, their really rich guy against ours. In this case, our rich guy is Larry Ellison from Oracle. Internet folks have a lot of concern about Ellison since he acquired in a big sun bundle, MySQL, which is used by many web sites.

Mudge should probably explain the goings ons, but it appears that we have motorized winches for the first time. What's more, these boats are multi-hull. One of the boats may also have a wing rather than a sail. Note in the story that neither boat would fit under the Chesapeake bridge as they are that tall. Somewhere in the article, someone speculates that there is a 30% chance that the race will come down to one boat experiencing structural failure.

From the article:

"Live coverage will be on the Internet for Americans, but you have to rise early. The Web site http://ESPN360.com will stream video starting at 3:45 a.m. EST, and http://BMWOracleracing.com starts earlier with warmup shows.

"Racing is scheduled Monday, Wednesday and Friday (if necessary). The weather looks good, with offshore breezes of 10 to 12 knots and relatively flat seas forecast. The boats are so fragile, Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett is unlikely to start races in anything over 15 knots, particularly if seas are big.

"I'm stressed out," said Ellison, 65. "It's in the hands of the wind gods. Two years of preparation are coming down to two or three days of sailing."

..."

Posted by: russianthistle | February 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Just finished one stage of the Digging Out, there's a path from the house to the car, a path all the way around the car, and the drive to the road cleared.

Had a drift to shovel through (I measured it at 30.5 in.) in order to get to the gate, and when I opened it, I burst into laughter. The place I left my car last night was now a drift that was taller than I (not quite 6 ft).

Anyway, I dug and cleared the car out, and helped neighbors dig out, too. The snow's still coming down in that howling wind, and I'm taking a lunch break with a hot chicken sandwich (which is a nice way of saying leftovers from a few nights back on bread with gravy) grapes, and a mug of coffee. This break may devolve into a nap, but I'm sure I'll be feeling the Call of the Shovel again soon enough.

LiT, thanks for the reminder to wear bright colors. If no one hears from me for a day or two, look for the old-school burgundy and yellow Washington NFL franchise knit cap with a pom-pom on top. I'll be the Dimwit Dudesickle underneath it.

Lalurker, sorry to hear about the drainage problems, but I'm glad you're handling it.

Mudge, part of the reason I've never been interested in sat/Direct TV is just that. I trust hardwiring a lot more than home consumer satellite broadcast/transmission and reception facilites.

Yes, I still have a hardwired phone in my home, on old-school 5v four-wire and a 66 block in my basement for distribution, just in case (still have a punch-down too, too). Everything may go to h3ll in a hand basket, but I'll still have a dial tone. Even if there's no one to call.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I am concerned about my youngest daughter who lives near DC.. I heard on TV that the power is out in her area. I tried to call her, but got an out of service message. From here there's nothing I can do but worry.

Posted by: Manon1 | February 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

No thanks, ftb! I've got plenty of my own.

Posted by: Yoki | February 6, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

sending positive vibes your way, manon.

4 puppies! the first was born at around 10a, the last around 11.15, 3 girls, one boy, all b/w parti marks. good day at the shop, as well. *running for the coffee pot*

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure she's fine, manon1. Did you try the cell phone? That would be my only way to communicate if my electricity or home phone service went out.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Puppies!

Posted by: Yoki | February 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Puppies! What a good day! Congratulations, jack!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

TBG - I don't know her cell phone number. An inconvient oversight on my part.

Posted by: Manon1 | February 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

CP, I have watched both Dr. Z movies. And read the book several times. I love the story.

I was saying I've never seen Splendor in the Grass, and there is a somewhat newer version than the one w/ Chrisite and Beatty. IMDB says it was made for TV, with Melissa Gilbert. Can't be too good...

Posted by: abeac1 | February 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Puppies and I am sure, a cozymanondot sending I AM FINE MOM VIBES.

So, we name them temporarily:
Snow Angel
Frosted Cupcake
Snow Flake

and for the boy, courtesy of TBG

SnOMG.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Abc -- I don't know either Splendor. And, what ending of the Dr. Z did you like better?

---
Teen boys shoveled my walk toot suite, and I did not ask. Now, they tackle the car. Then dry out the clothes and blow up the snow tubes. Our street is a sledders' paradise.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The book, of course. Then the old movie, then the newer movie.

I do think the newer Dr. Z is rather handsome. I can't look at Omar Sharif without thinking of his role in Top Secret...

"Fake doggie poop? What fake doggie poop?"

Posted by: abeac1 | February 6, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Report: huge fluffy swirly flakes now. So much drifting and snow upon old snow that I cannot venture an official depth. 24 inches as a base of fallen snow is an underestimate.

A ha: a ledge of snow fell off the front of the house onto shovel boys. They are stunned. They point to the tiny snow hooks. Bahawhahahahahahahahahahha

Nature is what Nature does.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

thanks for suggesting names, CqP. if snow flake's name sticks, perhaps the call name will be flake. kind of after my own tendancies.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

ABC-- will have to try the book this summer. And, yes, the new Dr. Z is astonishing as a specimen. He is Scottish, one of the black celts. Of my 56 cousins, most are dark haired like him. Not nut brown but really close to what my Irisher granny would call

"a good bold boot-black hair"

Sometimes, she would mention Ronald Reagan's hair...

My sibs and I are gingery. We never understood why people would interpret us as classically Irish -- we thought the dark good looks of our "illegally handsome" cozes was the look.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

More pics. Looks dark because they're taken from inside. Good thing we have a garage door, because the front storm door will not open.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Jack, dog and horse official names are worthy of several dissertations.

Norwegian Elkhounds near us were named for geography and Montania, so, things like:

Trigfare's Crested Butte (Trig for call)
Olaf of Sun River (Ollie)
Russel's Waiting for the Chinook (Windy)

etc.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | February 6, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

angel was our dane girl. when the time comes to get another big dog, we've decided to get an Irish wolfhound.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The boodle mojo is truly powerful. I just tried again to call my daughter and the call went through. She answered and does have power and backup plans in case it does go out. I don't know why I got the earlier out of service message.
Sweet relief!

Posted by: Manon1 | February 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Great news Manon.

Puppies, I love puppies.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

That's great Manon! Glad you talked with her.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, what a day! Puppies! I'm glad it's over and they are all good, Jack. And Manon, such relief to hear a child's voice on the phone.

bc, you are a man after my own heart. Yes, I still have a landline, and yes, I still have a $10 Wal-Mart old phone with a cord connected to it, so that I know I will have service when the power's out. No VOIP at the T household!

Posted by: slyness | February 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

good news, manon.

Posted by: -jack- | February 6, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for puppies!

Hooray for Manon catching up with her daughter!

Hooray that MrJS starts weight-bearing PT next week!

Hooray for lunch! (lamb & vegetable kebabs w/ pita bread)

Hooray for boodle mojo!

Posted by: MsJS | February 6, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

CQP, ya gotta know that I almost drenched my monitor with my mango tea when I read the first Norwegian Elkhound name as Trigfare's Crested Butt -- gotta clean my glasses!

But(t) that name could work, too, couldn't it?

Yay, Manon. So glad you could reach your daughter and that everything's fine.

Jack, do give the puppies a nuzzle on the muzzle for me. Well, for all of us puppy lovers.

*wondering if I feel like doing anything anywhere near productive today, excluding the boodle*

Posted by: -ftb- | February 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, today's shoveling is pretty much complete, although I will certainly have to keep after dog's area in the backyard.

I gave the snow-blower a shot, but the poor thing just wasn't up to the task. Of course, neither am I. But when I damage a part it usually heals.

The snow measures 21 inches, but a lot of compression has occurred.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | February 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

oooh, puppies!

talked to my family in central pa - reporting ~22 inches of snow.

going to get a couple of fish tacos momentarily while we're still in the in-between storms lull. the next one is supposed to be worse than this last one. i think my drain issues will be fine, but don't know about those houses below the recent burn areas.

Posted by: LALurker | February 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

tbg, love the snow cap on the yardstick.

btw, my dad tackled the 20-22 inches with a snowblower at one time and apparently lived to tell the tale.

Posted by: LALurker | February 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the pictures TBG! Although, for the life of me, I can't figure out what those big lumps are under the snow. Good thing you said one of them was a chair.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | February 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Snow's still coming down, but I did another round of shoveling and clearing anyway.

I'm sure karma will teach me a lesson by keeping the plows out of my 'hood until tomorrow evening.

Took a quick walk, engaged in a game of snowball fetch with the neighbor's dog, and then a snowball fight with a pack of neighborhood kids who swamped me like army ants over a bull elephant in some pulp thriller from the '30s.

All shoveled out, and nowhere to go.
By car, anyway.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | February 6, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope one of them isn't Dr. G!

Posted by: Yoki | February 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Nuke it! More pitchers! Time to start writing songs for Snowmageddon, the Musical.

Posted by: MsJS | February 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh! That's where he went! Thanks, Yoki!

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Snow's almost to the top of the table on the deck. Looks like another couple of inches and we're there.

Posted by: -TBG- | February 6, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I know why I love the boodle so much.

Posted by: Manon1 | February 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Driving home from my daughters hockey game I had this thought, bc wants and adult sled, here are a few for you, take your pick luge or bobsled. You will note the beers in many participants hands - might give you an idea of what is crucial to participate.

Would love to do this bobsled run looks like fun and reminds me of the bobsled run my father and his siblings said they had when they were young.

Wish I could send some of our sunshine down to you, beautiful cold blue winter sky here - can't send warm as there isn't much, if you are in a very sheltered location you can feel some heat from the sun.

Posted by: dmd3 | February 6, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Rob Cockerham over at Cockeyed.com has written a funny piece "What are folks figuring out with Google?"

Posted by: Jumper1 | February 6, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The B Team is out shoveling while I make macaroni and cheese for tonight's dinner. Life is swell.

Posted by: ScienceTim | February 6, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Loved the Mercer report, dmd! Don't think I'd try the luge.

Posted by: slyness | February 6, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse