Kentucky over Syracuse in a barn-burner?

[UPDATE FRIDAY 4:26 P.M: Who has opened up a gigantic can of whu-pass on the entire blogging corps of the WaPo? The primordial WaPo blogger himself! I know there must be something I'm not good at, but I just haven't yet found it! I'd feign modesty but that wouldn't be authentic right now, would it? Gosh. I'm just speechless. Except for, you know, the gloating and the mad gleeful cackling.]

I just entered my picks in the NCAA Tournament pick'em contest run by The Post (my username is quasigator, in homage to my dirt-road-alum status). I have a system for picking college hoops, which I urge you to duplicate if you decide to dive into the NCAA pool:

1. Always show irrational support for your favorite team even when you have directly seen with your own eyes the team's tendency in critical moments to shoot foul shots completely over the backboard, pass the ball to fans in the stands rather than to teammates, double-dribble, triple-dribble, quadruple-dribble, take eight steps before shooting as if auditioning to be a travel writer for a glossy magazine, and so on. Thus I have my Gators making it past BYU and into the second round. My Gators have a fundamental flaw, I've noticed over the past four months or so: They're not that good. How do you work around such a glitch? Good coaching. Billy Donovan has won, let's see, two of the past four national championships. The Gators currently have a 12-game winning streak in NCAA tournament play. In fact the Gators came very close to extending that undefeated streak yet another full year. They lost a bunch of games at the end of the year and only made it into the tournament because they had a strong non-conference schedule for once and the NCAA folks want to reward that kind of thing. The only hope for the Gators is to keep it close and get Chandler Parsons to make another buzzer-beater from 75 feet.

2. Guess up a storm and be as perverse as possible. I've seen the SEC teams quite a bit and generally pull for the conference, but Kentucky and Vanderbilt are the only two

who really impress me. The hapless Gators beat Tennessee, so it's hard for me to see Tennessee surviving the first round. I haven't seen about 55 of these teams play basketball and I have no idea if they're any good. Can they play basketball at San Diego State? Not a clue. But I think they're going to play the weekend!

3. Pick Kentucky. Or Syracuse. I've seen both, and they look like pro teams. They're "long," as the experts say. Which means they have lots of guys who are about 6-11 and can dunk from the 3-point line. The big guy for Syracuse is dinged up a bit, otherwise I'd pick the Orange. Kentucky has a future pro baller named John Wall who looks like the real deal. So I'm saying Kentucky over Syracuse 76 to 74 in a close, physical championship game.

[Update: Chris Cillizza has the same Final Four and the same championship match-up: Kansas, Syracuse, Kentucky and Villanova (yes, 3 No. 1 seeds and a No. 2 -- the committee got it about right). Obama, meanwhile, nearly has the same Final Four, but instead of Syracuse, he picks Kansas State, with a Kansas-Kentucky final and a Jayhawks triumph.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 18, 2010; 7:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At the Cape
Next: 'The incentives made them dumb'

Comments

It's a sad year for us in NC. More than that, I will not say. We'll be glad when March is over.

Posted by: slyness | March 18, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joel, I see where you're interviewing Michael Lewis at Politics & Prose this evening. Would that I could make a repeat showing up for that, but, alas, something else stands in the way. You might tell him, however, that I bought his book last evening. It is now taking its rightful place in the heap of books that are piled up on my bedstand. So Many Books, So Little Time.

As for basketball, I agree that the Kentucky-Syracuse game will be a good one. I just hope (for the sake of a dear friend) that Georgetown does well.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I suspect that with Lewis, sports will come up, beyond the sporting aspects of shorting.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 18, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Mr. F and I finalized our brackets yesterday. He has obviously picked some sentimental favorites, as I knew he would. Except for my perpetual long shot bet that Murray State will make it out of the first round I have coldly calculated my picks according to a secret algorithm that would do Nate Silver proud. Expect a stunner to knock Kentucky out in the Elite 8. Kansas and West Virginia will meet in the final with Kansas winning 78-74.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 18, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

JA-please tell Lewis he needs to time his books to be released in time for Christmas. It would make my shopping for Mr. F a lot easier. Used the last of my Christmas present gift cards to order The Big Short this morning.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 18, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

slyness, it's a bad year for basketball in NC as it seems that about 1/2 of all colleges have now rid themselves of their coach. I especially depressed about Charlotte bidding goodbye to their coach because that means that we will have to work a bit harder for THAT win each year.

Posted by: russianthistle | March 18, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I'm taking one of my use-it-or-lose-it vacation day to keep up a tradition of watching the *entire* Day I of the Men's Tourney with friends (and several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies) in a Marathon Barstool perching event at a local sports pub-type establishment just outside of DC with enough big screens to watch all of the games. And I'll be keeping track of how I'm doing with an increasingly beer- and coffee-ring stained printout of my bracket.

Which features Syracuse and West Virginia prominently, though I have Kansas taking it all.

Is what I'm doing stupid? Absolutely.
The Terps don't even play until tomorrow night.

And so, a Sports Fan's Triple Crown Triathalon begins (Memorial Day Sunday being the next leg...).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 18, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Mudged!

I need some caffeine. I just read that SMS had gone out for bears and wings with dmdspouse. Makes more sense her way, although every good boodle deserves a bear.

Himself! I was just listening to what I think of as your themesong.

Have a good day, all. Rudely, I'm Going to propose a progressive virtual lunch at yoki's and himself's houses. I'll bring a death by chocolate cake.

Frosti, Kansas will not win. At least I hope not. While I'm happy he's my ex husband, surely I can take a little pleasure in the weeks of misery he'll endure when his beloved ku loses.

Posted by: -dbG- | March 18, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

UConn vs Stanford, hard for me to call--given my vested interest in both locales, though Obama went with UConn.

Who will make the Final Four is not the question. Better to ask who will make the Final Three. Will UConn be there? Do bartenders pouring [sic: pour?] margaritas along the Riverwalk in San Antonio?
***

April 4-6, you can beat there will margaritas poured and consumed along the Riverwalk.

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of March Madness, did you guys see where the Redskins signed Rex Grossman? YES, REX GROSSMAN!!!! (Sorry for shouting. I'm a little...um...unhinged.) I mean, I know yesterday was Green Beer Day, but they just have to learn not to sign people when they are totally blotto. It's still only March, and I've already given up on the 2010 season. I may even despair of the 2011 and 2012 seasons, if this keeps up.

Hello, Himself. Welcome. Sorry I couldn't chat with you last evening; I'm still having Internet issues at home. Verizon sent out a teck, who diagnosed a fauklty modem. So they sent me a brand new state-of-the-art modem...and guess what? Yup. Still dropping the signal, just like the last two modems. Finally, after 85 minutes on the phone with some guy who should have been in (or maybe was in) Slumdog Millionaire, he diagnosed a faulty telephone line or wall jack. Grrrrrrrr.

Just imagine: Obama gets irritated when glasshats interview him and interrupt his answers, won't let him finish, and just generally act like glasshats. Hard to believe.

In the Final Four, I picked the College of Cardinals versus The Little Red Schoolhouse, and Duke versus Earl. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Who's SMS? Make that dmd. Sometimes I don't catch it when the iPod overcorrects.

Posted by: -dbG- | March 18, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

bc, how much respect to you give N. Iowa?

Posted by: russianthistle | March 18, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

I anticipate spending many hours in the coming days screaming wildly at my defenseless telly, then blissfully forgetting which game I just watched.

MrJS, DogJS and I have a tournament bracket of sorts. We assign the teams at random. Winner gets a special dinner. Last year DogJS got a nice filet mignon out of it.

I anticipate many upsets. Chaos! Mayhem! Emotional upheaval! The law of averages is going on vacation without its laptop or cell phone.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't know about you, but the prospect of basketball finals in April in San Antonio (where the redbuds are already blooming and todays high will be a balmy 73) is far more appealing that the prospect of basketball finals in April in chilly Indianapolis--Hoosiers or no Hoosiers!

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mudge... not too loud, isn't Grossman an ex-Gator?

Posted by: russianthistle | March 18, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

SCC: bet...not beat

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I saw actual daffodils yesterday! OMG! And now Loomis mentioned redbuds blooming!

*pure unadulterated or-youknowwhat ecstasy*

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Don't be hatin' on Sexy Rexy! Who else they got can say they played in a Super Bowl? Remember Super Bowl XLI, which in Grossman's case stood for Extra Large Interception, since he threw one in the fourth quarter that iced the game for the Colts and killed the Da Bears chances. I'm sure he'll bring that big game experience with him.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Rex Grossman?

*falling out of chair in laughter*

Perhaps da Bears just wasn't a good fit for him and he'll positively shine with the Redskins.

It could happen.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, kguy! Raysdad was insisting last night that the Bears won that Super Bowl.

What? Are there some basketball games going on? Guess I should be rooting for Cornell, but come on--it's Cornell. Alums know to keep expectations low, unless it's hockey.

Posted by: Raysmom | March 18, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Laughing dbG, both dmdspouse and I have certain bearlike qualities particularly when we are cranky, and then there is the whole size thing :-).

dmdspouse always picks his sports teams based on Joel's first point.

His teams, Duke (it is dangerous to admit that here isn't it?), Baltimore Orioles, Washington Redskins, Boston Bruins. I give him points for loyalty - he has been cheering for some of these teams close to 40 years, but really most times it is just sad to see.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 18, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Did I mention that dmdspouse taped over one of our wedding videos to record, a Duke victory and Cal Ripken breaking the record - but I am not bitter at all Noooooo not at all.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 18, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

In it's continuing practice of having its head up its butt, the WaPo online staff actually do have a Rex Grossman story, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031703688.html. They just haven't bothered to give it a page one link, even a tiny one near the bottom somewhere, or even a sports page link. It falls under the "Redskins Insider" column, and if you aren't looking for it or using the search engine, you'll never find it in a million years.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh slyness, I fear you shall get no sympathy from me. Yesterday I had to console a mopey son who endured a very long bus ride just to see his favorite team lose in the first round of the NIT. Plus, he says some of the Tarheel fans were really rude to the pep band.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a big fan of irrational support for one's favorite team. I mean, otherwise what's the point? Unless you have some kind of emotional attachment to a team, the whole thing seems to degenerate down to a rather pointless intellectual exercise. Unless, of course, betting is involved.

But that would be wrong.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. According to the story, we learn this: Grossman "appeared in just one game last season, completed 3 of 9 passes for 33 yards. He has started just one game since 2007."

And then:

"On a day the Redskins locked up one quarterback, they're apparently preparing to work out another. Washington is one of five teams that has scheduled individual workouts with draft prospect Tim Tebow, according to the Sporting News."

Tebow? Who the hell's that? Some guy from down south somewhere, I think.

But I'm really liking Grossman's stats: 3 for 9, for 33 yards.

*sigh*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, he also threw an interception in that 2009 game.

Although he started only one game for da Bears in 2008, he did play in four. His 2008 stats include 2 TDs, 2 int's, and a QB pass rating of 59.7.

I'm glad he's not da Bears' problem anymore.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

It's a sad year when I'm paying attention to the NIT, but that's what it's come to. In fact, my current school is playing my old hometown school here in town this weekend. I wanted to go, but the university athletics website would only sell tickets to the game with the condition that if the local team wins, they automatically charge me for tickets for the next round. But I don't care about the next round, and while I'm interested in this game, it's not worth double the ticket price. So I'm not going. Just as well; I wouldn't have known who to root for.

Posted by: -bia- | March 18, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

He "appeared"? What, he was beamed down from the mothership? He's a ghost, a wraith, phantom, apparition, ectoplasmic projection? Or just a first round draft bust.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

dmd, re: your 10:08 there was an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode where Ray did just that. Do you have a secret link to Ray Romano perhaps?

Posted by: Raysmom | March 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I've got about 4 brackets going. I just make a bunch of wild guesses but GT always makes the Sweet 16. I got one bracket where they win it all. Just no money on that pick.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 18, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't see what the big deal is, dmd. I mean, you were right there at your wedding, right? So you probably remember most of it. But Ripken breaking the game streak? Wow! I mean, that's a memory that sticks with you forever. Who wouldn't want that event on tape for the ages?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

my irrational pick is always The Orange. they are capable of spontaneous implosion.

Posted by: -jack- | March 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all
I am ready for the maddness to begin,like yello i have a 4 brackets going,one with Maryland making it to the final four after beating G-town. Then the others are a little more realistic,but it should be fun nonetheless. I also always keep a bracket open to write in the teams as the tourney goes along.

yesterday's gum treatment was ok,just a little painfull after the novicane wore off.

I am out for a hike before work,what a mess the park is after last weekends rain.I think I will volunteer my services at the local headquarters to help the cleanup.

I like west by god over kentucky in the final.......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 18, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

RD:

Night-hopping bunnies
around my bed, enough to count
What sleepytime joy

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 18, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Bar-hopping, green beers
down throats, too many to count--
What morningtime woes.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Over at Ezra Klein's prediction of a House health care vote on Sunday, a commenter, misterhand, noted: Crafty Barry Hussein wants to schedule this right during the Kentucky game, just to spite Jim Bunning.

In the daffodil department, I got introduced to mega-daffodils on my first visit to London in 1990. By the time I got to Hampton Court, I though I'd seen as many daffodils as possible. Wrong.

The little narcissi seem much more practical as landscape plants. Much less hay to mow later on.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 18, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Re modems not being the problem, Mudge, perhaps my experience can serve you. You will have to be tough however.

It's never my modem. They repeatedly send techs around who wish it was something inside my house. It's not, it's always been a thing they call a repeater or node which is on a pole every half mile or so depending on line traffic.

Also turned out the techs were not getting background on each case. As far as each one knew, it was their first analysis of my case each time. I finally got through to a tech at tech central, and we talked. He ran a spreadsheet on node traffic in the area and found one dropping out. Meanwhile, I had also been repeating my complaints through the regular channels. Another tech showed up at my door and I asked him if he had read the previous reports, and he said 'no.' I lost my temper and told him to read the *&#@ previous summaries and call his bosses at the *&#@ tech center and get their stories straight. I also then got a hold of a P.R. flack and told him they might not want their customers to have the impression that their corporation is psychotic and insane, and quoted the chestnut about repeating the same thing over and over with no success as the definition of insanity.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 18, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Dog's life? Maybe not-

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrodog, do NOT volunteer for the job kguy links to at 11:34. Or at least not until you can get CquaP involved in designing some better dog uniforms.

Posted by: nellie4 | March 18, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm only taking an academic interest in the tourney, mostly because the Terps made it in. While they do have talent, they have still been erratic during the season. I really don't look for them to get to the Sweet 16.

Posted by: ebtnut | March 18, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Trust me Raysmom, there is a resemblance in character between Ray Romano and dmdspouse - looks not so much.

Mudge, I do agree, I watched that Ripken ceremony as well - an incredible feat - my love of sports was one of the many qualities dmdspouse fell in love with - lucky for him :-).

Posted by: dmd3 | March 18, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Dog Unis! Fun. I am on it. Somebody typed "sexy Rexy." That is the name of a floribunda cluster rose -- sorta like a hybrid tea rose. Details:

Medium pink Floribunda.
Registration name: MACrexy
Exhibition name: Sexy Rexy ®
Bred by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1984).
Introduced in New Zealand by McGredy Roses International (New Zealand).
Floribunda / Cluster Flowered.
Pink. Mild fragrance. 40 petals. Average diameter 2.25". Medium, full (26-40 petals) bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.

---
The rose is misnamed, I think. The pink is very demure and ballerina-like. i would think that a SR rose (worrying about prudebot) would be more lurid in tone, with either a vulgar-but-delish red nail polish shade or an orangel mardi gras come-hither due.

--Back to your sport chat!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 18, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, that's just swell. The Redskins have a floribunda for their backup quarterback. That's all I need. *sigh*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the Grossman signing. Why not go after Danny Wuerffel?

FYI, added to the kit the Cillizza picks. He's a genius. Picked same teams as moi.

Can't see how Obama picks KSU coming out of the Syracuse bracket...

Posted by: joelache | March 18, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

a floribund rose
to the occasion, revived
moribund offense

Posted by: DNA_Girl | March 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

They signed Grossman because with his new SB ring Brunell is out of their price range.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Oldest trees in the world

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The previous owners, John and Sue Wiley, of the San Gabriel House bed and breakfast in Georgetown, Texas--before Neil and Dee Rapp, who are former residents of Maryland, took over a few years ago--named the rooms for the roses that, I believe, are in the rose garden at the back of the property. I don't know the age of the roses out back, but I saw a number of them as I used the back gate to get to and from my car.

Last Thursday and Friday, spring had not really arrived in Georgetown, but pictures of the garden in full bloom and leaf at the B&B's website look mighty inviting, so a return trip later in the year would be nice.

The room in which I stayed is now called the French Room, but the name on the old handpainted oval still attached to the door reads The Bourbon Queen. Since I imbibe next to no hard liquor, I had to look that one up, as far as roses go:

The former name of the room where the Foeges stayed two nights--now the Librarian's Room--still has the old handpainted oval affixed to the door that I thought read Clara Stryker. Don't know if it's a modern rose name or the name of an antique rose? Perhaps this Feb. 2009 book about roses might give a clue? Perhaps it's a lost rose?

Neil Rapp said that a lot of people shy away from the French Room because of the double slipper tub. I loved the tub so much I took not one but two baths in my 20-hour stay. I see that the house holds tragedy: that a previous owner was electrocuted in one of the tubs. The really terrific thing about the French Room is that it's the house's old sleeping porch, with oodles of windows. An interior wall was erected on the sleeping porch to divide the space to create the bathroom.

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

History of bathing (Anyone know the precise history of the double slipper tub?):

Also here. I recently picked up at Half-Price Books, dirt cheap, a history of Beau Nash and Bath:

In Europe, the medicinal spring bath has been popular for centuries. During the eighteenth century, the English city of Bath-so named after an ancient Roman spa built there-became the most fashionable resort in all Europe, thanks chiefly to the restorative work of Beau Nash. Such luminaries as Pitt, Nelson, Gainsborough, Garrick. Gay, Pope, Steele, and Fielding came to enjoy the social life and the hot, radioactive waters of the natural spring. Like earlier baths, however, the resort at Bath eventually became associated with debauchery and the spread of disease.

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Love that link Jumper, makes our 400 - 1000 year old cedars on the escarpment seem like saplings.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 18, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

*perking right up*

The history of bathing? Double slipper tubs? Debauchery and disease in the 18th century? Did I hear my name being called to witness?

*wondering how the WaPo Wirty Dird filter feels about certain licentious behaviors being narrated...ah...all hearsay, of course. Hearsay. One hears these rumors and stories...*

*...fondly remembering where and how the soap "Irish Spring" first got its name...*

*...Lady Fitz-Shropshire and the introduction of the Greek sponge into the bathchambers of Edwardian England...*

*...how the Garnier girls learned about Fructis...*

*...the REAL story of how "knight of the bath" came to be a royal award..." *still blushing over that one*

* ... the time I accidentally lost Lady G----'s unmentionables down the washtub drain and she had to ride home on her horse in some...dishabile..., as it were...*

Methinks I had best finish working on this report I'm supposed to be editing...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

We interrupt the A-blog for an NCAA update.

Florida-BYU heading into OT at 75 all.

#15 Robert Morris is leading #2 Villanova 52-47 with 5:40 left in regulation.

Old D. beat Our Lady by 1.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled blogging.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

We now bring you another NCAA update, only because it involves Florida.

The Gators and BYU are going into 2nd OT.

Nova and Robert Morris are now tied.

Carry on.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Robert Morris was into bondage.

Who'd a thunk. Always seemed like such a level-headed guy. Good with money, too. Has a nice inn over in Oxford. Wonderfull rab cakses. The best on the bay, Michener says.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

SCC: crab cakes. The bondage thing has me all bamboozled.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I liked the College of Cardinals, but I see they face with the Presbyterian Synod, the Quorum of Twelve Apostles and - if they make it this far - the Southern Baptist Convention. Tough competition.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

BYU 99, Florida 92 in 2OT. Sorry Mr. A.

Nova leads Rbt Morris in OT.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I will concur on the Robert Morris Inn crabcakes, though its been maybe 10 years now since I was over there.

Posted by: ebtnut | March 18, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

One other point on crabcakes - One real problem is that with all the bay issues regarding pollution, fresh water incursions, etc., is that it is getting very hard to actual Chesapeake Bay blue crab crab cakes. There IS a difference!

Posted by: ebtnut | March 18, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

My policy of picking against Florida finally paid off. It's killed me the past couple of years.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 18, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

SCC: ...very hard to find actual...

Posted by: ebtnut | March 18, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

All those with Nova in the final four, you can rest easy. Rbt Morris is going back to serving great crabcakes.

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Rose history is fascinating, as DotCounties could attest. Plants, once wild, that now live in such association with us, that we can hardly imagine life without them.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 18, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you shoulda been there back in the day, CqP, before mankind tames and domesticated those posies. I used to run into some mean, feral tulips and mums, back on the trail. Snapdragons that could take a man's leg off. Queen Anne's Lace that could cut you dead with a glare. And the Baby's Breath. Oh, Lordy.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 18, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that we tend to think that we domesticated roses and not the other way around...

Posted by: kbertocci | March 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,

The names of the 50s roses are so set in that time:

Tropicana 1960
Chrysler Imperial 1952
Bettina 1958
Casino 1963
Cocktail 1959
Fashion 1950
Danse de Feus 1954
Danse des Sylphes 1953

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 18, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, kb, you and Michael Pollan -- yes, we are their humble servants.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 18, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Gator game not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Gators easily could have won it at the end of regulation and end of first overtime. But here's the problem: They can't shoot. They cannot shoot the ball. And in the 2nd OT wilted like a flower hit with a late frost.

But hey, I called OD over ND correctly -- another BRILLIANT wild guess.

I felt bad rooting against Robert Morris simply because I picked Nova. Had Robert Morris won I would have had to look it up to see where it is. I may anyway, just to give props to a great effort.

Posted by: joelache | March 18, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Fess Parker passed away:
Davy, Davy Crockett...I had one of those coonskin caps and nearly drove my mom crazy singing that song.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 18, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

My wife's wedding bouquet had Lady Diana's roses on it. That screams 80s.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 18, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes! I had ODU over ND as well; it's all in the algorithm. I'm 3 for 3 now. Sorry boss, there was no way I was going to ruin my bracket by picking the gators, Murray St. is enough of that. I often root against self interest so there was plenty of cheering for Robert Morris chez Frostbitten.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Lady Diana Rose:

Hybridizer: L L Hoy - Introducer: JOH- J H Hill Co (Indiana) 1986
Patent: 5360
Parentage: Sonia x Caress

Jk: Sonia roses are the pink-tinged orange roses available widely as bouquets. So, you can buy a doz or so and reveal this tender tidbit. Then, hand her the envelope of personalized stamps:

I just took care of your wedding anniversary-next. You may shower me with with sparkles and daisy petals. You are so very welcome!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 18, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Fess Parker at age 85. Played Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone and made some pretty good wine.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Parker also stayed married to the same woman for over 50 years, no small thing, esp. in Hollywood.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 18, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Murray St. upsets Vanderbilt, 66-65. Yessssss!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 18, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The whole place erupted when Murray St. sank that last-second shot to win. Very cool.

5 hours in to the tourney and my brackets are in the usual complete disarray. Joel, I'm not even going to ask you to compensate me for buying into FL -- I did enough damage on my own picking Notre Dame and St. Mary's (I'm such a Catholic boy).

Have a good evening, all.

On a side note, I think the Kansas St. players should be getting combat pay.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 18, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

testing, testing

Dead as a bar.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 18, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I didn't want to get too close to the Foege's room while they were in it, but did get a tour from the owners after the Foeges left. I'm beginning to think, after using links to the Bourbon Queen roses that I posted earlier, that the rose name that I saw (since I wasn't *that* interested enough to write this trivia down at the time) wasn't Clarence Stryker, but Constance Spry. I guess an e-mail to Neil could clear this up...

And there was a *real-life* Constance Spry who arranged the florals for the weddings of two dukes, one of Gloucester and the other of Windsor (speaking of a Lady Diana rose in CpQ's 4:33)--not to mention a royal coronation:

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Something unusual arrived in the mail today--a traffic ticket for my husband from Austin, issued as a result of aerial camera images, including a close-up of his license plate. Big Brother was watching and zooming in! At the corner of 1-35 (freeways don't have corners, so it was the access road) and 11th. Said my husband had run a red light.

What the picture shows barely, was that he was making a turn on a red light, since we had left the Holiday Inn at noon (as I posted here) and the map was crummy that the hotel desk clerk printed out for us to the Texas State Cemetery (as I posted here) and that we overshot 9th (as I think I posted here) and went down 11th (as I think I posted here) and had to wind back to 9th (as I think I posted here) and parked just out of sight of--and down the hill from--the back entrance of the Texas State Cemetery and had to hike practically the whole %$#@*&% perimeter before we found found the large entrance gate on the eastern perimeter.

So, I'm wondering if my posts here could ease my husband out of his ticket? Unfortunately, the time stamps on the successive images from the overhead camera show that his stop at the red light before making the right hand turn lasted a mere second.

Heilemann-Halperin lecture, the trip giveth and taketh away.

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

bc-wish I'd gone with St. Mary's.

Now my bracket will be in disarray because I had picked Richmond as my surprise over-achiever. Might have to go back to the old mascot method.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 18, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Fess Parker died? Wow. I'm with you, seasea. I remember being in the grocery store with my mom, warbling out all 150 verses of that song at the top of my lungs. My mother pretended not to know me. Wasn't the first time, alas. Or the last.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- GO HOYAS!

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good grief .... I kilt it. I kilt the Boodle.

On to BASKETBALL!!! I know that's where you are and where I will be in a minit.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Madness, I tell you! It's madness!

*off to find tv-watching munchies*

Posted by: MsJS | March 18, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, is everybody hooped from the day's excitement?

I imagine a fair number of boodlers are attending Joel's public appearance.

Quite a day chez Yoki; had the first migraine I've had in several months and it was sheer misery; better now and I am *starving* so indulging in grilled steak and pommes Anna.

Have a great evening, all.

Posted by: Yoki | March 18, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

*faxing comfort to Yoki* Hope it helps. I've had two migraines in my life and several ocular migraines (a long time ago for both kinds). Not fun.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

For some reason my place of employ felt the need to post a "all hands" note about gambling being verboten on der premises...

Basketball? When Jeff Beck's playing Ronnie Scott's on Palladia? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 18, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that Yoki, spent a good part of Sunday suffering from a bad headache as well - the kind no amount of advil migraine will help, just time. Hope you are feeling better now.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 18, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Fess Parker as Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone?

From William Moran's "The Belles of New England," p. 8:

Visitors who toured the mills never heard the screams of the injured and did not preceive the darker aspects of the workers' lives. [Many women became ill and had to return home; some were maimed--losing hair ripped from their scalps when the hair was caught in the machinery, or the women lost arms, hands and fingers in the machines' whirling gears and speeding belts.] Davy Crocket toured the Lowell [Massachusetts] mills in 1834, two years before he was to die at the Alamo.
***

Davy Crockett saw nothing amiss at the Lowell mills. Bet that trip of Crockett's to the Bay State's mills never made it into a Disney episode of Crockett's life. If Disney filmed this trip made by Crockett and portrayed by Fess Parker, I'd love to know!

Posted by: laloomis | March 18, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

*faxin' lotsa evvathang Yoki's way* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 18, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Look up Melville's "The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids."

That could well be about the same place, although in his story it's paper, not textiles.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 18, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I've only had three migraines in my life. They all were three-dayers, and each one was worse than the last one.

My sympathies, and I'm so glad you're better and up for steak and taters.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 18, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all. Feeling much better, just a bit wobbly.

Posted by: Yoki | March 18, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Wilbrod. The first two migraines I ever had (starting when #2 was about 3 months old) were of the three-day variety. I had never felt such pain before, nor since. The sort where first you worry you will die, and then worry that you won't.

The new generation medications make a huge difference.

Posted by: Yoki | March 18, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Glad you are feeling better, Yoki. I love the phrase "new generation medicine." I don't know why. Of course, the important thing is that the drugs work. If only my Mother has access to those when we were kids. (Oddly, she got fewer when we were out of the house.)

You know, through sheer coincidence I was able to hear the end of that Florida/BYU game. It just happened to be on at the right time. And when they lost I paused a moment in silent respect for Gator fans everywhere.

bc - I also listened to the end of that Murray State game. Very exciting. But I have the same question I always do when I hear of them. Since when do we have a state named "Murray"?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 18, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

LOL, RD. When I saw some posts, I thought, where are Murray Street and Kansas Street located? And where in the world is Robert Morris?

Posted by: Yoki | March 18, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Murray State? Loved his song about a chess tournament! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 18, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

*Snort*

Posted by: Yoki | March 18, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Ah, well. Georgetown didn't show up. Frankly, I'm not surprised that they lost. Actually, my support for them was on the basis of a friendship who went to Geo'town law school and was at the game up in Providence. And, now, she can work without distraction.

My migraines seemed to have been of the 24-hour variety and nothing like what you guys are describing, Yoki and Wilbrod, although still very, very painful. I have no idea what the trigger is. One of them I had in Germany, though. *hmmmm*

I always like seeing the underdog funny-name-colleges win. It's a bit of a comeuppance against the big shot know-it-all universities. Besides, I have absolutely no skin in the game this year, so I can root for whichever team I want. So there. *pbthttt*

cya tomorrow.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 18, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Clueless as I am, I failed to realize that the gators game was apparently played right here in OKC. It is still somewhat amazing to me that a city which didn't have a professional-quality basketball arena when I moved here now regularly hosts NCAA regionals. Having a pro team is a surprise too, but somehow being a part of March Madness is more - I don't know - national. Clueless and inarticulate, that's me. Next time, Joel, take a junket to OKC to watch the game. We can provide all sorts of food and entertainment in addition to basketball. Good hotels, too.
[Or, of course, you can use our office/library/guest room, and enjoy the added perk of a house rabbit.]

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 18, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Boodle sleeping. *tucks Boodle in* 'Night, Boodle.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 18, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Boodle watching b-ball and very upset it has to catch a 6 am flight that will make it miss the next Glee pre-sale.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Hello, Himself. How nice that you join us on the boodle.

Being a leftie : help or hindrance? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article7067670.ece

My 2 oldest sisters if left to their own development would have been lefties. Back in the old days, my grandmother would not allow anyone when eating hold chopsticks in their left hand. My sisters would do everything with their left hand except for writing and holding chopsticks.

Posted by: rainforest1 | March 19, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Hiya rainforest!! :-)

Who knew that Boodle laryngitis was a symptom of March Madness??? :-O

No matter; one must always take advantage of life's fleeting moments of joy, such as when the paycheck and the tax refund check arrive at the same time! :-) Then again, they need to band together... *looking at the never-ending pile of bills*

Radiational cooling is a funny phenomenon -- the temperature the past few mornings has easily gone below the forecast low. Not that I mind, of course!

*TFSMIF-you-have-no-idea-really Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Hi, Scotty. The sun is setting but good morning to you and everyone.

*waving*

Posted by: rainforest1 | March 19, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle. Wakey, wakey.

Coffee is on in the ready room.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 19, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Next time I'm in Colorado Springs I am going to see the Air Force Academy.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Um, anyone notice who is TIED FOR THE LEAD among the Post bloggers in the Post hoops contest? Who is ahead of Wilbon? Who is ahead of Dan Steinberg? Yup. I guess the dartboard approach really works....WHAT CANT I DO???

fyi, somewhere out there is a Weekend piece I did on the new Hubble 3-D movie. NOT positive, I fear. Am likely to be banished forever from space community.

Posted by: joelache | March 19, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Happy Friday morning, Boodle! *doing my goofy happy dance*

I've brought a fruit salad and some warm seed bread (real butter!) for the ready room table.

Between a severe lack of income and the multiple deductions made off my severance payment, doing my taxes this weekend should be interesting. Today's job is to purchase and install the software for efiling.

Are there sports on today?

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Do do that, yello! A very impressive campus, particularly the chapel's architecture.

JA, no worries on the movie review -- the Hubble folks should have had Cameron direct, naturally.

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Apparently it's Dunkin' Donuts 60th birthday...

*munchin' on Munchkins* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, pardon my stoopidness but Canoucki taxes are also on the spring cycle? April 15 too?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Who's in that 3D Hubble movie, Joel? Any big stars? (Haha! Get it?...stars... ) Evangeline Lilly? Gerard Depardieu? Diane Lane? Christopher Walken? Bobby DeNiro?

Link to Joel's piece: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/18/AR2010031800958.html

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle!

Boss we're tied. I feel better now about my whoops of joy at discovering I was ahead of Wilbon. (Not for long I fear, Richmond and the Hoyas did me wrong for my multi-round faith in them.)

Back to more normal weather here. High around freezing after nearly 60 yesterday.

Oatmeal with crunchy peanut butter and a little maple syrup mixed in for those what need a rib sticking breakfast.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

CquaP, yes, sort of. Final due date is April 30.

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Yoki, do you Canucks have any online tax stuff like TurboTax? 'Cuz down here in Haute Texas one doesn't necessarily have to purchase and install tax software. One can do the whole shebang online, and it's reasonably easy. (Some even let you do your federal taxes for free.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow, frosti -- I am a lifelong despiser of cooked cereal (the stories I could tell), but your last line about oatmeal with crunchy peanut butter and a little maple syrup perked up my ears. Now, if we could only eliminate the oatmeal ......

Big shout-outs to them what won on the initial b'ball pool results.

It is fun to watch, even if they look so, well, um ..... young!

*sigh*

Hey Snuke -- how's SnukeSis? Maybe some oatmeal can be used to glue her knee together.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

'mudge, in fact the federal revenue agency has a free online prep tool that is the best going; that's what I'll use, I just need to figure out how to get to it.

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Apparently there are in exscess of 3,100 reader comments regarding the health care bill, according to the homepage link. This raises a number of questions:

1) Who in his/her right mind thinks anyone would want to read them?

2) What proportion of those 3,100 comments were written by sane, well-adjusted, sentient humans, versus how many by raving lunatics (there's an excellent topic for some enterprising grad student to do a master's thesis about, since there's a statistically admissible sample size)?

3) Are there any recipes, gardening tips, fashion reviews, knitting chat, or other useful and interesting repartee among any of those 3,100? Methinks not.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey ftb!! I'll be checking with NukeSis today for an update, and of course I'll share. Thanks for checking! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I have found that the easiest way to prepare one's taxes is to marry a supremely competent statistician who does it for you and then carefully points out where you are s'posed to sign.

Granted, I realize this option isn't available to everyone.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey, shriek, did you see that Le Cendrillon cheese made it into the NYT Food section? I think you were the first to point out that it took the grand prize at the ICA.

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I am pretty sure that at this point the Health Care Bill has degenerated into a shibboleth for many on the right. Not all, of course. There are still many thoughtful and rational critics. But such reasoned voices are drowned out by those whose knowledge of the bill is mostly limited to the fact that they're agin it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

ftb-the whole point of the crunchy peanut butter is to make the oatmeal vanish. I enjoy oatmeal-plain no milk, but made this way it's not even oatmeal anymore.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Le Cendrillon cheese? I thought all right-thinking people favored Stinking Bishop.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yet another reason I frequent 538.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Things I did not know (or immediately remember) about Fess Parker (from the AP story, here headlined 'Davy Crockett' dies' in our paper this morning...not to mention a slide gallery of images of Fess over the years at our paper's website this morning--including mention of the strong Hollywood link to Reagan and the real estate/neighbors link to Reagan in California).:

Parker was born in Fort Worth, Texas.
He played football at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene.
Parker was injured in a nearly fatal road-rage knifing in 1946, which effectively ended his football career.
He later earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Texas.

As a small girl, I had my own coonskin cap--made of rabbit fur and a raccoon tail. Had a litlle 45rpm record player that closed up into a box with a handle for toting. One of the first 45 rpm records I ever remember owning was the "Davy Crockett" theme song that I must have played hundreds of times.

And Alamo news into today's paper?

Really, really should talk about Susannah Dickinson-Hannig...and Rick Perry, but, per usual, must get my husband out the door..

Posted by: laloomis | March 19, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Morning, all, it's been a busy one already so this will be short. Thanks for all the great and different breakfast options! I'm always glad when somebody brings something besides ham biscuits!

Yes, Scotty, I do want to hear about Nukesis, hope everything is going well.

RD, I did my own taxes till I had investments from my mom, then I found a good accountant. I went last week, and the person who took my info just happens to be my oldest niece. She is a retired teacher and worked with the wife of the accountant, so she has this part-time job. We had a good chat. Now to see what they come up with.

Off to craft class, where I am the second youngest person in the room. Gotta love the dear old ladies! The politics are hilarious.

Hi Cassandra! I hope you have a lovely day. It's supposed to be in the upper 60's here, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: slyness | March 19, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I agree, Padouk. But wouldn't it be interesting to see some sort of accurate and methodical breakdown of what those 3,100 comments say? And then one might be able to draw conclusions about the overall worthlessness (not that I'm pre-judging, mind you) of such comments, and that they in no way represent any sort of true "poll" of what the public is thinking. The proper technical term for those comments, in polite society, is "flatulence," which is what happens when certain kinds of muscle structures relax and "vent."

Present company excepted.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That would be interesting. I'm thinking some kind of pie chart (cause everyone likes pie) linked to key words or phrases. I'm guessing that, like most things, a relatively few concepts could span the space. See, it would be like eignevectors and..

Okay. Time to get back to work.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

QUickly then off by bike to the paper errands of the day; grocery chopping requires the other bike which this AM slapped me in the face with a big flat tire.

Fess Parker was a huge supporter of theater at my alma mater -- Santa Clara Uni (Kurt Rambis grad my class, Steven Nash, later, the Canooki b-ball sensation). I met FP a few times in the FP Theater on campus. Why? Me, the costumer of several plays include nearly all of Brian Friel's fine work. FP is one long tall drink of water. Laconic too, in that Iconic Texas way. Very, very, very, very nice to us.

Ah, yes. other SCU peeps I knew then: Jan Napolitano and Dee Dee Myers.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 19, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

*faxing CqP a good blade sharpener to help with her grocery chopping*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Joel, I think the Boodle BoD will consider taking up a measure to issue you a cape and a mask if you can keep up prognistication proficiency after this weekend (Mudge made me take out the provision where you demonstrate competency in replacing your own brake pads and rotors in order to get the tights).

My own brackets look like the morning wfter a Weekend at Caligula's.

I like the idea of doing word searches against those comments. Resist the temptation to add spell-and grammar-check functions, though, lest the comments that light it up like Las Vegas on a Saturday Night be my own.

Now, to check the Hubble 3-D review...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins. coffee and OJ on the table.

Mr. A, in answer to your question at 7:54: Aside from bearing children, not a thing.

Mudge, regarding your 9:13 and 9:33: Based on a somewhat random 10% sample of the 3,100+ comments I report the following:

1) 13% of the comments contain well-written positions or data that might be useful to peruse (by my biases, anyway).

2) 8 percent contain a quote written by an earlier poster, but none of these embedded quotes was more than 30 comments prior.

3) Nearly 3 in 10 'scream' (at least some words are all capitals).

4) There were no posts containing recipes, gardening tips or other such sharing.

Confusion, anger, discomfort over the uncertainty, and fear are all running high.

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. It is a beautiful day here, sunny and should be 70 (F), but frosti's weather news confirms the terror struck in my heart by today's headline: Blizzard-like conditions Saturday with 6-8 inches of snow possible in OKC metro.

RD, I too cleverly married a competent and trustworthy tax preparer, who requires me only to accumulate paperwork and sign on the correct line.

I was downtown last night and it was heartwarming to see the amazing bustle and busyness, surrounding the NCAA playoff games and other activities. Thursday night and the place was packed.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

MSRP of 2010 Bugatti Veyron- $2, 200,00
Production cost of "Avatar"- $300,000,000
Jon Stewart's send up of Glenn Beck last night- PRICELESS!

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Gee, MrJS did the same thing, RD_P and I-mom!

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I see that WaPo's Tom Toles take his swipe at the Texas history curriculum vis-a-vis the Alamo today.

The most strongly worded swipe about the issue of history in Texas is this one by Mark Morford from the San Francisco Chronicle (aggregated at the Texas Tribune website this past week) and headlined "Dear Texas: Please shut up. Sincerely, History."

First graf:
Hey, kids! Here's something I bet you didn't know: Black people? Back in 1800 or whenever? They liked being slaves. True! Many savvy, industrious Negroes actually volunteered for that fine, desirable position. It was a completely balanced, fair, hugely successful system, until those damn liberals came along and ruined everything. I know, right? What a shame.
***

I really would like to look at the issue of contemporary primogeniture in Republican politics, as expressed by Heilemann and Halperin, and can do it by circling back to Liss and Blake and LOrd Byron, in particular, or by circling back to the Texas State Cemetery and Susannah Dickinson and Gov. Rick Perry. I prefer the former, but it's already 10 a.m. here with things to do and husband, who's pulled late night hours this week, thinks he'll get or take an early out and we'll take a several mile hike, which we both need. This morning looks full, so don't know when...

Great review of campign history books at the NYT this morning:

Posted by: laloomis | March 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Um, that's $2,200,000 for the Bugatti, except of course during Bugatti's end of year "If you have to ask you can't afford it" sale when it's $2,199,999.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

kguy: watched it this morning. Lost it when he broke down CON SERV ATIVE and LI BERT ARIAN. What do they do? LI !!!! Who are they? ARIANS ?!? Good stuff.

Posted by: steveboyington | March 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

kguy -- thanks *soooooooooo* much for reminding me to check out my favorite guy, Jon Stewart. Hysterically funny. Would that the jerks who follow Glenn Beck would watch it.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh. My. So funny. Thank you for for that, kguy. I can't see paying for TV when I hardly watch it, but Stewart almost makes it worth it.

Posted by: MoftheMountain | March 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

MsJS, you're made of sterner stuff than I to read even 10% of the comments. Any time I attempt it, I end up feeling as if I need a shower.

Posted by: Raysmom | March 19, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Afternoon, friends. Glad you're feeling better Yoki, but I believe I have what you lost. Headache this morning, hope it eases off some.

Slyness, it is a beautiful day, slightly windy, but the sun is bright and I'm planning on enjoying as much as I can.

Enjoy the lunch, and have a great day everyone.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 19, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This is...distressing? According to Rick Potts in his chat on the new Hall of Human Origins, the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History turned 100 years old two days ago. I was completely unaware of this, as I suspect most of you were. Why was there no massive centennial hooplah? Shirley the Post would have had a story on it, had it realized (I hope!), n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

That's because the real truth is that the Museum is actually only three weeks old.

Posted by: engelmann | March 19, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ah, well that explains it then. I knew a lawyer would be able to figure it out and present it in a logical, fact-filled way. I vote not guilty.

(If I ever get in trouble, E-mann, I'm hiring you toots sweet.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ooops. Apparently there was a story, on the 9th (a week early), at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/08/AR2010030804014.html and buried on C1 and in the Going Out Guide...where I'd never find it.

In, we learn this: "Flash forward a hundred years, and it's now the most popular museum in the country, having hosted 7.4 million visitors in 2009 and passing the Air and Space Museum. Indeed, it was the second-most-visited museum in the world last year (after the Louvre) and the most popular museum devoted to science on the planet."

Wouldn't you think the single-most visited museum in all of America -- and the second-most visited in the whole freaking world -- might get a little more play than the Going Out Guide? And why would the Smithsonian itself sit on this like it apparently did?

(I didn't know it surpassed Air & Space, did you?)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, NMNH is Dr. K's workplace! I can assure you that most of it is indeed 100 years old, and the elevators, certain curatorial staff, and some of the plumbing is even older.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Regarding those 3k+ posts, my eldest's high school was making them study logical fallacies a couple months ago. To help him for his exam I took him on a tour of several of the boards (not this one :-) ) here so he could pick apart the posts. It was an interesting exercise.

Posted by: qgaliana | March 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Dr. K works there? How cool! (Would she agree with my premise that this anniversary has been woefully under-reported and promoted?) Are they interested in gathering any eyewitness oral history from the Middle Ages? I can personally attest that at 5 feet 4 inches tall, I was one of the tallest people at the signing of the Magna Carta.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Because this gets on the front page: "The Oscar love curse: Is Sandra Bullock the latest victim or is it total bunk?"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, former Smithsonian Secretary Larry Small pretty much emptied the SI's Hooplah Fund before he left, and it has not yet recovered.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ah. I see. Thank you.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Dinner plans for us tonight--one-man comedy show locally:

As one reviewer wrote: "I lurnt sum gud stuf about Texas. I em reddy tu gradyuate and go to A&M. Thank yu!"

On to my chores...

Posted by: laloomis | March 19, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon writes: I can personally attest that at 5 feet 4 inches tall, I was one of the tallest people at the signing of the Magna Carta.

No wonder you were "overlooked" by King John. Ummm, you could barely see over the height of the signing table, right? Was your mead runny?

Posted by: laloomis | March 19, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Kguy, your 12:58 made me LOL. I can imagine!

I hope the Smithsonian will prosper again under new and better leadership.

Posted by: slyness | March 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm back after some technical difficulties - with a big thanks to Jodi and Joel.

I feel left out as I just never got into basketball so don't have a clue about who's playing or how to fill out a bracket. I think it's a New England thing, sort of, as we don't usually have m(any) teams involved. Altho' there are plenty of people around here who seem to care about March Madness, I'm just not one of them.

I loved the Jon Stewart take on Beck last night - pitch perfect.

I began to get migraines when I reached 'a certain age' but they have almost totally disappeared in the last five years. They were of the three day variety and just awful until I found a good medication. I sympathize with anyone who gets them.

I've been outside cleaning up the gardens. What a gorgeous day it is here!!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Actually the mead was pretty good. But I was sitting down throughout the ceremony, taking notes, so that was pretty much why I was overlooked. Anyway, I wasn't a baron or anything, just a lowly scribe. And KJ and I didn't much like each other (I was a "Lionheart" loyalist, pretty much, even though Rick Rex I had been dead these 16 years. And I was feeding a lot of info to Robby Locksley and his gang.)

Rained like hell the whole time we were out there in that damned field, though. Miserable weather. No wonder everyone was testy. By the time they got around to the actual signing, I advised them the parchment was gonna get soaked and all the signatures would run (we didn't have India ink back then, 'cause we hadn't found India yet). So I asked everyone to move under the Ankerwycke yew tree, which was this 1,400- or 1,500-year-old tree, so we could get out of the rain, and that's where the actual signing took place.

Couple hundred years later under that same tree Henry VIII (that horndog) first met Annie Bolyen. I was dating her sister, and Annie came along that afternoon as chaperone, because somebody had told her some foul rumors about my intentions toward her sister. So then Henry comes riding along and sees us having a picnic under the tree, and...well, I don't have to tell you what happened after that.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Boleyn. Never could keep that e and y straight, not even back then.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks, welcome back!

Mudge, I guess Anne just lost her head over Henry.

60s today in TWC, but snow/slush tomorrow. Must go out and enjoy.

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sneaks! It's gorgeous here today, too, and I've been coughing and sneezing to prove it. And I'm indoors, so go figure!

I spoke with my friend who went up to Providence to watch her Hoyas disgrace themselves. She's very unhappy. I figure that *eventually* she'll get over it. Maybe.

Mudge, I remember that signing of the Magna Carta. You had to propped up to sign it, not because you were, um, miniaturized, but because you were steeped (for a very long time) in mead. You kept asking how to X your name, and even though we all said "X" somehow you kept forgetting. Boy, you had one doozy of a hangover, I tell ya.

Hey Yoki -- I hope you're feeling better today. And Cassandra, my dear, I do hope your headache goes away soon, too. It could be pollen, as there is that kind of stuff flying around now.

I think I've convinced myself to go out and play. Anyone wanna join me?

Posted by: -ftb- | March 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

So, have now read JA's review of Hubble 3D. I find it hard to criticize the Imax movies' poor storyline, since the whole point of Imax is the visual spectacle.

However, JA points out a couple omissions that could have really added to the Hubble movie. It's a good point, and too bad that the real drama could not have been incorporated.

Previously linked, but here again:

As an aside, when the A-Blog was discussing high grossing films recently I found it interesting that one of the years in the 50s the highest grossing film was This is Cinerama! which as far as I can tell was just a collection of visual effects.

Posted by: engelmann | March 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Me me, ftb!

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Loomis-good pun!

Ribs are sore form laughing at Jon Stewart. Nice to have some levity while I watch my bracket go down in flames.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, your presence there may clear up something that has long plagued historians. One of the lesser known chroniclers is said to have overheard King John say to a scribe "who towered oer all in his companie" that he had quite the body. One of the barons said that the scribe was not particularly impressive, and demanded the right to petition the court to resolve the issue about who had the best body.

There was something lost in the transcription, however.

Posted by: engelmann | March 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

News from the Great State of Mecklenburg is the layoff of library employees and the closing of many branches. Arggh.

While I mostly read books I order off the net, (I'm hard on books, spill peanut butter and jelly on them, etc., and I don't like misusing public property) and the net itself, I hate this news. And there is some talk that they are closing down the less well-off minority neighborhood branches more than others. But at least one fine branch in a well-to-do neighborhood is closing too, being close to the main branch.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

And you thought glow-in-the-dark condoms were cool!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | March 19, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Cinerama was one of several attempts by the film industry to fight the growing TV menace of the 1950's by offering image ratios and sizes that the small screen could not accommodate. Some studios used anamorphic lenses to spread the image-Cinemascope and Panavision, etc. Cinerama used three projectors and a curved screen with minimal overlap. Todd-AO used film that was twice as wide as 35mm, yielding an image 48x22 mm as opposed to conventional 35mm movies which work from a 22x18mm image. IMAX movies are shot on an even bigger film area of 70x48.

My strongest memory of the Cinerama Capri theater in Dallas was seeing "2001: A Space Odyssey" there in 1968. Although the film was originally planned for Cinerama, Kubrick eventually opted for an easier to use 70mm system. Suitably "enhanced" my friends and I sat in the second row where the curved screen really had an effect. It was immmmmmmersive!

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

E-man, that was a big misunderstanding and slight translation error. It wasn't who had the best body (bode back then) it was who had the best abode, meaning domicile. I was living in a stable behind the Boleyn place (I always liked to work in a stable environment, and my horse sense and love of horseplay were legendary), so naturally I was out of the running for the Swartzeneggar sweepstakes. Anyway, I wasn't so much "buff" as "dun."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

ha! Well, somebody wrote in latin that anyone could apply to the court for the You Have The Body contest, translated as habeas corpus, and the rest is history.

kguy: Hal's not here, man.

Posted by: engelmann | March 19, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I bring good news and yet another example of Boodle mojo success!!

NukeSis is home from the hospital and in good spirits. She said the procedure took far less time than expected and the surgeon was very happy with the results. She's got weeks of rehab before she can even put weight on the knee, but she said "today's one day closer to me walking again," so she's got the right attitude! As always, thanks so much to everyone for your good thoughts and wishes.

:-))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Throttle back on the sweets there, S'nuke. The double chins are starting to show.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 19, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yep, habeus corpus does indeed flow from Magna Carta, as you say e-mann, although we didn't actually get around to using it until 1305, as you probably know. And you're probably aware that there were actually six types of ol' habeus, as follows:

Habeas corpus ad deliberandum et recipiendum, which basically means "bring that rascal from over yonder to this here place, so we can give him a fair trial then hang his sorry butt," and here's your recipt;

Habeas corpus ad faciendum et recipiendum, also called habeas corpus cum causa, which kinda means you're holding this dude for probable cause, so please ship him here because we're gonna tell him what the verdict is;

Habeas corpus ad prosequendum, which means ship him here cuz we're gonna prosecute him;

Habeas corpus ad respondendum, which means ship him here cuz we're gonna charge him with some more bad stuff, and we need to here him plea;

Habeas corpus ad satisfaciendum, which we used to call the Keith Richards rule, and which means ship him here cuz we're gonna get some “satisfaction” or execution of the judgment of the court;

and habeas corpus ad testificandum, which means ship him here so he can testify and respond to other testicular question.

Yeah, I helped them draft all this crapola back in the deay when I was working for the Department of Redundant Laws Department. You'da thunk just one habeus would have covered the situation, but no... Mudge, they say, we're lawyers, ya know. We gotta nitpick this stuff to death.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd say corpuscles are too dern small to take into custody or present to a court.

So hey, B.S. to them corpuscles.

*did it pass the prim-and-proper-bot?*

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

S'nuke, very pleased to hear about your sister. Always good when the doctor is happy with the results.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 19, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

quasigator now leads the WaPo "Personalities Picks" Good job boss!!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, posted a gloating note at the top of the kit re: hoops contest.

Please don't tell anyone that I know eff-all about this sport. I'm hoping to ride this to glory! This could be my big break.

Posted by: joelache | March 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody post the link to the quasigator sweepstakes? I could care less about the b-ball, but I'm starting to get interested in rooting for JA.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, have you seen these links?

and

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Um...never mind. My gummint filter won't let me on those two links Joel just posted. Now I GOTTA see what's on them!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Major League Baseball Umpires auction. Hey, you can pick up a Bush 43 signed baseball - leading bid $750.

Posted by: engelmann | March 19, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. A, not to worry. The secret you just shared on the wildly popular A-blog, the very first Yellow Pages listing under "Blogs," is safe with us.

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Stewart's channeling of Beck's chalk talks reminded me of this classic bit, where Beck neatly demonstrates just how stupid he really is:

Posted by: rashomon | March 19, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Found another quiz site. A funny thing happened taking one quiz. To do with Alice in Wonderland. Why is a raven like a writing desk? I picked the fourth answer as a joke. and it was right

I haven't the slightest idea,

Loads of fun:

And the straight dope on the riddle:

Posted by: omnigood | March 19, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Mudge-this will take you straight to the leaders

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

omnigood, I think I love those ingenious ex poste (where are my Italics?) solutions to the riddle even more than the fact that it was a nonsense to begin with. Notice that several were supplied by leading intellectuals of their times.

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I love how far you have to go down the "personalities" list before you get to a sports person.

Posted by: -bia- | March 19, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

So riddle me this...In the b-ball brackets, is "Washington" the University of Washington? And if so, how did it end up in the "East" bracket? All I know is, the UW won unexpectedly yesterday...

Posted by: seasea1 | March 19, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, EYE was amused that Joel was tied with Roxanne Roberts, at least this morning when I last looked at the rankings. That seems perfect.

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

seasea: Yes, that's the University of Washington, located in Seattle, and it is in the East regional bracket. They beat Marquette, located in Milwaukee, which most folks would consider Midwest. The game was played in San Jose, which is both in California or Costa Rica.

The brackets could be named plaid, paisley, polka-dot, and pied for all that it matters. Any deference to geography was given up long ago.

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, my. MsJS, you just thoroughly confused me. I've had the privilege of visiting the University of Washington campus in Seattle (quite beautiful, if a bit damp) but it was definitely on the West Coast of the USandA. I guess it is sort of like the Grey Cup game where the Esks played the Lions. And the Esks were the "Eastern Conference" winner. Is that it?

Wow, my own sport's savvy amazes me. *Snort*

Posted by: Yoki | March 19, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks MsJS, your explanation makes as much sense to me as the game of basketball. Congrats Joel on your top spot, do you win anything if you stay there til the end?

We just got back from a nice walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner. It feels more virtuous to eat if we get to exercise a bit before and after.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 19, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Evening all, congrats Joel on doing so well in the pool so far, continued good luck. My old school begins it's quest for a 7th championship in 8 years this weekend.

It has been so nice here, we set a high temp record today, how nice, really really nice. I do not have one complaint. No snow yet in March and weeks of above normal temps.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 19, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I took the day off and the Ivansclan went to see "Alice in Wonderland" in IMax 3-D. I Love this Movie! I could have turned right around, gone back in the theater, and watched it again. I thought it was great. I may be their specific and peculiar target audience - I'm an "Alice" addict, a Tim Burton fan, like Johnny Depp, Helena B-H, Anne Hathaway and the rest, appreciate the effects, like the twisted story take. In fact, it may be my duty to see this movie again several times (probably not in a theater, though, given how hard it is to find time for a movie).

We then split up and I did the grocery shopping a day early (along with everyone else in the metro area) while they got dog food etc (along with everyone else in the metro area) before the Big Storm hits tomorrow. The front she is amovin' in, with lotsa clouds and spatters of rain.

Ivansdad was at BigBoxOfItAll and picked up both "The Big Short" and - ready? - "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter", from the guy who did "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". We look forward to it.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

The University of Washington campus is on a splendid site with a view of the big volcano, was very carefully planned, there was no skimping on quality buildings, and the effect is grand to the point of being a bit intimidating.

I looked at the Post's House nose count for health care, and it'll be defeated unless every last "undecided" votes in favor. Fat chance. Leftist purists and those swayed by the Catholic bishops?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 19, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, my. MsJS, you just thoroughly confused me."
-- Yoki

"Thanks MsJS, your explanation makes as much sense to me as the game of basketball."
-- badsneakers

I get that a lot. You are both in fine company.

Posted by: MsJS | March 19, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Very cool on the auction, 'Mudge! Where's your offering? :-)

Bracket leaderboard won't come up for me... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. When I click on either of the two links at the top of Joel's kit, the pages come up, but the leaders won't--it just cycles forwever and tells me it is computing. When I use the link Frosty just gave me, the page just loads forever.

I suspect the reason is because I'm using Linux and Firefox. Thoughts, anyone?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 19, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

S'nuke-if you got "calculating" it's normal. It seems to take forever when they update the stats after a game ends.

DotC-I see they have Jim Oberstar (MN 8th and an anti-abortion Dem) as a Yes vote. I certainly hope so. I called his office and made mention of my party activism while urging him to stand firm with his yes. He's waffled a bit in the last week, and I think he's less interested in the health care bill than in getting his transportation agenda moving forward.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudge et al-it is not your browser, just come back in a while to check. When a couple games end it takes the site a long time to recalculate the leaders. If you didn't register and make picks you can't see that the rest is working fine.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, after a *very* long week, I think it's Happy Hour.

Oh.

You meant thoughts about page-loading problems.

(thinking again)

Okay. I stand by my original answer.

Have a happy evening all!

Posted by: LostInThought | March 19, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The link worked fine for me a few minutes ago (XP and Firefox). frosti, thanks for the link - I couldn't figure out how to get to Joel's picks when I tried briefly yesterday. The first one that Joel posted doesn't work so well - I blame the WaPo. The second one is ok - same as frosti's, I think.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 19, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Leaders are posted. JA is still on top of the celebs with 40pts (20 games picked correctly) and just 2 pts off the overall leaders. I've fallen behind, 17 games, but the only person I need to beat is Mr. F.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Aha! It came up and JA's still da MAN! *L*

And I love it that Wilbon's tied with Carolyn Hax! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't mean to be harsh, but I can't believe that Joel's quasigator score generates more boodler interest than your own brackets. Didn't fill out a bracket? Shaking head in gobsmacked wonder.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I go to sleep too early to be able to get properly wound up over the games, frosti, therefore filling out a bracket would be counterproductive... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

A new kit would work up a lot of interest, actually, come to think of it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Now Joel, don't get all smug. It isn't seemly. Except, of course, when I do it when it is kinda cute. Or so I keep telling myself.

I went to graduate school at the UW. But that was long ago before so many of the buildings had the word "Gates" on them. Still, it is a lovely place. And Red Square is still beautiful in the rain.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Is it some sort of contractual obligation for radio stations/satellite channels to play "Working for the Weekend" on Fridays??? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 19, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

In my group my brackets are dead last with only 15 right to this point. Sheesh.

There isn't enough left of my brackets to bring me home on a teacup saucer, much less a shield.

Happy Hour, indeed.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 19, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

New York Times Book Review touts John McPhee's latest:

This made me smile:

"McPhee has a nearly cultish following among nonfiction writers, who admire his quirky choice of subjects — often unheralded virtuosos of their own particular domain (a headmaster, a barge captain), or such intimidatingly large topics as the formation of the earth (four books on geology; collected together as “Annals of the Former World,” they won a Pulitzer Prize)."

There's a point to be made there about members of cults who have, in turn, their own cult following...but it's too abstruse for my powers of punditry.

T.G.I.F., and good night, all!

Posted by: kbertocci | March 19, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

LiT, I like your answer MUCH more than my question.

Scotty, I'd kill for the "44" autographed ump's shirt -- but I'm a couple of thousand dollars shy of being able to afford it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I didn't fill out a bracket either. I have a brachet, sort of, but I hope she stays in the yard. She may be a retrieving-type hunting dog, but there's something bad out there. In the wood across a nearby road, the Boy saw something fairly large over, and eating, a deer. He heard it first, very growly. I saw five deer (two or three were fawns) cross into that woods last night. We're thinking either coyote or bobcat. The latter would be more likely to bring the deer down. With the deer,chickens and guinea hens, I figure the dogs are safe enough in the fenced yard.

This is the best year for daffodils in a long time; hundreds are blooming. Truly. I went to pick flowers before the storm. Out on the west flower line, there are at least a couple hundred in that forty feet or so alone. Probably more. There's another twenty-foot line farther down, then there are big beds on some corners and clumps everywhere. Most are just regular daffodils; some are tall with huge frilly bells, some are like that but short, and some are very delicate with several buds per stem. Very nice. I also got the few hyacinths. Now it is spring indoors.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Boodle at dinner? Sleeping? Basketball?

I kilt it. I sorry.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

One of the things I love about the NCAA selection committee is the little inside jokes they play with the seeding. The OK State-Ga Tech first round game is a rematch of the 2004 Final 4 game where the Jackets beat the Cowboys only to lose to UConn in the championship game. And it's a barn burner so far.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Daffodils! You know, I was raised in the Daffodil Valley. I attended the Daffodil Parade. I was a personal friend of the Daffodil Queen. (Proper wave: elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, wrist...) So I know daffodils. The thing about them is that they are reliable and robust.

Where I work there is a jogging trail that meanders through the woods. I have walked that trail several times a week for seven years now. And in the middle of the woods, for reasons unknown, emerge, each spring, a cluster of Daffs.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 19, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The Okie and the Yellow Jacket post simultaneously. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Mercy! Cornell won both the ECAC hockey semis and that basketball thingy. That's like a total eclispse of the sun for Ivy League sports.

Posted by: Raysmom | March 19, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Yello, I just noticed the Pokes and y'all were playing. I should be rooting for OK State, but really I'd rather my imaginary friend be happy. Of course, if the yellojackets win this one, they just have to play another game.

RD, reliable and robust are two of my favorite daffodil features, and why they are flourishing in what I loosely refer to as "my" garden. Pretty much anything that blooms in there was planted years and years ago by my mother. I make my own feeble contributions, and the garden accepts or rejects them as it pleases. I've noticed that daffodils and iris, unchecked, both grow like grass (or weeds, which do quite well here), but only daffodils bloom in profusion.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

In the summer of 2004, I went to Stillwater for ground source heat pump training. I conspicuously wore Georgia Tech gear each day but nobody ever called me out on it. I even picked up a remaindered Final Four tee shirt at the bookstore.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

And the Jackets move on but FSU lets the ACC down.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

yello-I'd like to extend my thanks to you, as a fine representative of GaTech, for helping me extend my lead over Mr. F. Great game.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 19, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom,
I'm backboodling while hoping for another 12-5 upset and found an old boodle where you mentioned the sport of noodling. That came up in dinner conversation this week amongst a table full of hard-core outdoorsmen and even they thought it was nuts.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

No crazier than hunting wild boar with spear, or shooting an elephant charging down on you with a light rifle. Or getting in the water with sharks, etc.

Young males call that kind of craziness glory.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Florida's a bit closer to getting corporate-sponsored license plates, which would sell for $6 less than regular ones without advertising. I'm not sure which corporations would be interested in such a program. Probably not Ford. Nor Bacardi. Nor the Florida East Coast Railroad. Certainly not the Mouse.

Um, yes. Noodling is nuts, probably more so than octopus wrestling.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 19, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, yellojkt. Now all the nice Poke basketball players can relax and get back to their schoolwork. Right?

Noodling IS nuts. That's what makes it such fun to observe from a very great distance (such as, watching a video in your own home; there's a really good Noodling documentary). These sportsmen think nothing of diving into underwater holes, reaching into the murk with their bare arms, and trying to put their bare hands into a catfish mouth. All pour le amour pour le sport. Beer is often involved, and occasionally, I suspect, methamphetamines as well.

Every year I threaten to take the Boy to the Noodling Festival in Pauls Valley south of here. The noodlers spend all day fishing in various lakes, then bring their catch to the official weigh-in center.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, of your examples, only getting in the water with sharks comes close. In the other two, the human is armed. With a weapon, I mean, as opposed to his bare arms.

By the way, it is now legal in Oklahoma to hunt wild boar from helicopters. Perhaps we could do an "exotics" tour: helicopter hunting and barbecue one day, noodling and fish fry the next.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, a shark cage is much safer than the other two examples, believe me.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

That creeps me out, Ivansmom, mostly because there are enough hunting accidents on land as it is.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Hunting any wild animal from a helicopter seems a tad boorish to me.

But wild boar are not a native species. Non native species with few natural predators is usually bad.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 19, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Cage? You didn't say anything about a cage. I was thinking right in there, swimming with the sharks, all natty in their three-piece suits, Blackberries and briefcases.
Whoops, wrong sharks. Probably just as dangerous, though.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

That's why I decided against becoming a lawyer; I couldn't grow the dorsal fin.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 19, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Noodling is also a technical guitar term: intense playing focus, to NO AUDIENCE. In other words, a kind of practicing that is improvisational and self chosen and non goal directed. CPBoy noodles ALL.THE.TIME.

Love it, but my only complaint is that I hear a tune, and start to groove internally, but the tune changes suddenly:

CCR to Hendrix's Red House to
Police-like ska to Buddy Holly's three-chord wonders to
Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman to the Immigrant Song Ice and Snow to
House of the Rising sun to Green Day to
the Who's Teenage Wasteland to Blitzkrieg Pop....

But, the bass line noodling is even weirder....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 19, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Yello, usually the medical procedure is included in tuition costs. Used to be surgery, only available upon graduation, but now they're experimenting with a series of dorsal fin pills taken during bar exam study. Pass the bar and presto!

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 19, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Also, the peppermint dish washing soap adds an odd undernote to Merlot. Shiraz? Yes, odd for that two.

But, I do not want to take up peppermint schnapps at this time: curling and the alpine events are largely over. Besides, peppermint, to me, suggests the daily ablutions of tooth care....so, will not buy this brand again.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 19, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Right. Free-swimming with sharks is more dangerous. But few do that.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

YL, I have a nice side biz altering clothes for the shark triangle projectile. Lou's is so subtle, in part, because I modify her clothes!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Six-word stories are warping my brain.

Beware Hemingway contests. They're like vodka.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 19, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, my guess is that the iris need to be lifted and divided. I have a bunch I never planted after I did that last fall, if you're interested I could send you some. Maybe I should see if some of them will grow before I do.

Mr. T and I are back from visiting my brother and family for the evening. My sister-in-law's parents are visiting, which was another reason to go, as they are delightful people and we enjoy being with them. The kids are doing well; A is playing baseball and S is working hard on her ambition to be an Olympic swimmer. Hard to believe they will be 10 this summer.

Time to go to bed. Goodnight, all.

Posted by: slyness | March 19, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

isle of wight, cut somewhat short, but amazing. red house, just 'cause you mentioned it, cqp, and 'cause the terps match is preempting the orange. the latter is inconsequential, as the terps match is far more interesting.

Posted by: -jack- | March 19, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Why, RD_Padouk!

When you see a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils, I'm thinkin' you are worth words.

Posted by: Yoki | March 20, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Florida is suffering a feral pig explosion. They've been present for a long time, arguably since the Spanish conquistadors, but suddenly, at least in central Florida, they seem everywhere, messing up nature preserves, cow pastures, maybe even golf courses.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 20, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Terps win and my brackets still look ok,well one of them does.........

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 20, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

What, please, is a bracket?

Posted by: Yoki | March 20, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Not a brachet I think.

Posted by: Yoki | March 20, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

a bracket is what the ncaa tournament is devided into....see march Maddness

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 20, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Happy Spring Everyone
Spring,spring,spring spring.......

Posted by: greenwithenvy | March 20, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

What's 7 hours among friends, gwe??? *L*

And I see the Terps fans among us will be pleased, once they awaken. Including JA, who's still on top of the "Personalities" bracket.

*off-to-a-jam-packed-weekend Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 20, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

The iris tubers need to be almost uncovered by soil. They should be moved often. You may or may not get blooms in the first year but you will in the second year.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 20, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Happy Vernal Equinox Everyone! Time to break out the ceremonial robes and start gathering the kindling for the big party!

Or, maybe, I'll just rake the yard and drive in a few fertilizer spikes. That'll probably go over better with the neighbors.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I see Joel is still sitting pretty as top prophet of the hoops.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 20, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse