Oscar! Oscar!

I'm in Miami where everyone looks like a movie star, or at least a movie star's stylist, or an extra on the set. Even I can dream of being mistaken for a Best Boy. Or: "I think he's with the caterer." The guy selling sandwiches from a cart. Whatever: I'm in the game, in the mix, part of the party.

Tonight if the airline gets us home in time I'll watch the Oscars and root for "The Hurt Locker" to blow up "Avatar." "Avatar" was dazzling but wasted a lot of 3-D technology on 1-D characters, and frankly I don't think it was as good as Disney's "Pocahontas."

"Hurt Locker" was a can't-breathe movie. No popcorn runs for that one. The famous actors get killed off while no-name Renner holds the screen. You don't know what's going to happen but it's likely to be explosive. A little gory in moments but, hey, for the sake of the art.

"Inglourious Did I Spell That Right Basterds" was also entrancing, what with the long set pieces of evil detective work, but so fundamentally deranged, it's just the director showing off, doing his Tarantino impersonation. Gory is camp; that never works for me and I didn't really like "Pulp Fiction" for the same reason. Brad Pitt's accent should be considered a war crime. The slippery Nazi dude should run away with best supporting actor, however. I didn't see many of the films, as per usual. "Invictus" didn't work for me -- too many scenes marked You Will Feel Inspired Now.

Your thoughts welcome as always...

By Joel Achenbach  |  March 7, 2010; 9:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The war on science
Next: Love those unscripted Oscar moments!

Comments

I don't think I've seen any of the films, but I usually don't go out to the movies. I'm an "indie" kinda person, both with respect to books (and their associated, though diminishing, bookstores) and films.

That being said, I look forward to falling asleep during the Oscars.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The only nominee I saw was Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side. Mr. F has The Hurt Locker from Netflix but he's in DC so I won't get to see it before the show tonight. I guess this is better than many Oscar years, I did see one after all and in a theater at that.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen any of the movies, but I am sure I will comment on the clothes, having a lack of knowledge of a subject rarely keeps me from posting :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Inglourious Basterds" was stunningly photographed, and I hope THAT gets an Oscar. But I don't even know if it was nominated!

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it was, and looks like he has won before

Speaking of movies, I had missed seeing "The Fall" until a friend recommended it. It was in response to my expression of enthusiasm for "Basterds"'s cinematography. It too is a treat to the eye, and a much nicer movie.

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

From the sounds of various Oscar pundits, the Best Picture category's "ranking" system might very well split the vote between the top favorites and produce a stunning upset.

One can only hope, 'cuz there's NO WAY "Avatar" was the pinnacle of moviemaking this year. SFx? Sure, but so pedestrian in every other way.

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Got mudged. Reposting from prior kit.

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

Cloudy in TWC after 4 sunny days in a row. Won't have the pleasure of daffodils for another month, at least.

In the "how to maintain a healthy level of insanity" department, I recently received the following advice:
1. At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if anyone slows down.
2. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if s/he wants fries with that.
3. Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks. Once everyone gets over caffeine addictions, switch to espresso.
4. Skip down the hall rather than walk and see how many looks you get.
5. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.
6. Specify that your drive-through order is 'To Go'.
7. Men, pick up a box of condoms at the pharmacy, then go to the counter and ask where the fitting room is.

Off to bake!

--------

On kit, the only film nominated for a 'big 5' award that I saw last year was Avatar. Meh.

I'm holding out for 5-D technology. Until then our visits to a movie theater will be few and far between and our movie rentals largely from last century.

Posted by: MsJS | March 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I am such a bad Active Member of Society. I saw "Up", and loved it, so I hope that wins and validates my personal movie-going choices; I didn't see a single one of the other Best Picture nominees (and shouldn't Best Picture really be an award for the advertising folks who produce the posters? After all, the rest of it is Movies, not Pictures, and it seems like the award should be for Best Movie. Jeez. Don't get me started).

Anyway, I think we'll probably be watching "Persepolis" or maybe "Pixar Shorts" or maybe "Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist" (thank you, Netflix!) while folding laundry, instead of watching the Oscars. We have an animation theme going. We're like that.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 7, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

An excellent list, MsJS!! *LOL*

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh, well. I guess I did also see Avatar. I just don't think of it as Best Picture material. I'm holding out for "Avatar: the Last Airbender".

Again with the animation. Oy.

Posted by: ScienceTim | March 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

reposting: Are centerfolds like movie stars?

I had to laugh a couple of minutes ago, at Donna Brazile's remark on ABC's "This Week" program about Texas Gov. Rick Perry being a Scott Brown centerfold-type of guy, "very easy on the eyes."

I did ask Tana Kent, event coordinator at the Salt Lick barbecue restaurant outside Driftwood, for whom she'd vote in the November governor's race, Bill White or Rick Perry? I'd rather not say, she laughed. I said that I'd met Perry in the past ["Alamo" movie premiere], without providing the detail, and that he is handsome. "*Very* handsome," Tana immediately chimed, with a large grin on her face. Still, Tana begged off, smiling, about expressing her choice of gubernatorial candidate, despite my mention that her favored choice would be off the record.

I asked the two women seated to my immediate right while we were waiting for Texas Tribune's Evan Smith and "Game Change" authors Halperin and Heilemann to take the stage for whom they'd vote.

The woman seated immediately to my right on Thursday night is a Republican and voted for Perry in the Republican primary on Tuesday. Perry is technically her boss, though she is not a direct report, because she commutes into Austin and works in the state's A.G. office. She said that in the genral election, she thought she might seriously vote for White.

The woman two seats to my left was the first person in the book signing line for Heilemann and Halperin, she having arrived at the LBJ Library and Museum at 2 p.m. I was the second person in line, we having arrived at 4:30 p.m. She was widowed, having formerly lived in Lafayette, Ind., and Ann Arbor, Mich., where her husband passed away. They had already planned on moving to Texas, so she followed through on their dream. She now lives in a Sun City community in Georgetown, and has close ties to her city's Southwestern University. She is slim, was fashionably dressed, and is very well-read; I enjoyed her company, I know her name. It was during our conversation that she informed me that Bill (she couldn't recall his last name), one of the members of the worldwide smallpox eradication team would be speaking at Southwestern on March 11. She said she'd email me the details, but I have already found them online. How much would I like to attend? Where is George Spix when I need him?

The bright woman from Georgetown is a true-Tim Russert "blue" Democrat, having put a Bill White yard sign in her lawn and rpoudly displaying it in her highly Republican neighborhood.

*more on Perry's gubernatorial vulnerability and other Republicans' presidential vulnerabilities, as mentioned by the Game Changer authors, sometime after our breakfast this ayem. Sorry to have mised you guys, Evan, Mark and John, at Cisco's Friday morning *l* *

Posted by: laloomis | March 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I was led to believe that Brad Pitt's accent was coached by a faculty member at Son of G's former university in Charlotte. Personally, I thought he had it down perfectly. Much better than many southern accents in movies.

Sirius radio has a great Oscar Night bingo game for free download at http://www.sirius.com/pdf/movienight.pdf

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I didn't see Avatar but still love your line about 3-D technology wasted on 1-D characters. I'll watch tonight as I almost always do, not for who wins, altho' it would be great to see Bigelow get it, but for the spectacle of it all. Love the dresses, the glam, and am always happy to see the screw ups.

We may have to go back to Netflix as I'd love to see all the movies we missed, which is most of the ones nominated except for Up in the Air and Up.

Beautiful day here, flirting with 60 degrees. We'll run some errands then take the granddog to the canal for a long walk. He drove "S" into the guest room again last night as he (the dog) has perfected throwing off the covers when he gets hot. But when he does this, the covers are inaccessible to us too as they are in a tangle around and under him. I wanted to leave too but I knew the dog would just follow me wherever I went ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday was too full of the Things-That-Must-Be-Done. That list was checked off by 4:30 p.m., and at 5:40 p.m. we were at the Greek-theater-magnate Santikos's art-house theater for "The Ghostwriter," a small dash of pleasure to end the day.

I came home angry (and tired), angry at our local newspaper (for its two-graf review of "Ghostwriter"..."How Republican!" I exclaimed to my husband. The blurb review, though, did provide a link to rogerebert.com) and angry at our local Greek-theater-magnate (theater had no empty seats for this showing but we arrived in time for good ones, the paper commenting that the movie is in "limited release" here in Alamo City), but not at Polanski for altering Harris's novel somewhat.

We (mostly my husband) had seriously considered seeing "Ghostwriter" on Friday afternoon in Austin, but I figured if it were playing in two theaters there, it most definitely had to be playing now in at least one theater here. Correct on that count.

I laughed when Evan Smith decided from his seat on stage in the LBJ Auditorium to act as casting director for the possible upcoming movie "Game Change." Definitely Will Smith as Obama...and James Caan as McCain (a bit too tall?).

I have a gold box in my guest bedroom that I simply call "Germany" (thankfully something my mother saved for years in our Bakersfield basement and did not toss out) that I haven't opened in about two decades. I am so tempted to open it, truly now a time capsule, to see if there is a time tunnel back to Polanski.

I definitely have thoughts about tonight's movies and performances under consideration, so I will try to stay on-Kit and weigh in later. Now I really *must* fix breakfast.

Posted by: laloomis | March 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful day here as well, getting ready to do some early spring clean up outside! Happy day.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It must have been last spring, I was driving though the Kendall area from Dadeland Mall to the Turnpike, when I started noticing the number of sports cars. Serious ones. And this wasn't a terribly rich part of Miami.

Miami will be warm, sunny, dry this week. Joel will deservedly feel like a Best Boy.

This morning, NPR News ran its rundown of Academy Award nominees for music. I turned on the radio to Big Orchestra music, which turned out to be from Avatar (the composer must have had plenty of time to do a Serious Composition). Then came The Fabulous Mr. Fox, where the composer had somehow managed to convince the director to go small.

We got to watch "Crazy Heart" this week. I was surprised to find it was on the cineplex's largest screen and was even more surprised at how Jeff Bridges filled it.

It was a wondrous year for animation. "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" was unreflective fun, "Up" possibly the most emotionally satisfying film of the year (at least in 2D), "Mr. Fox" cool in a slender sort of way. I now realize the music contributed quite a lot--music on the Avatar scale would have sunk it. As for Avatar, I wish "The Emerald Forest" from 1985 were available on DVD. Hmm. Maybe it is.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | March 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I'm not quite ready for the Oscars yet, but I will be somewhat closer after a Bloody Mary shortly.

And then, laundry during the awards.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Of the best pic nominees, I only saw Up, but I'm with dmd. I'll watch, if only because all the newspapers I read will be filled with postmortems for days and I never know what they're talking about.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from my errands. It is so gorgeous outside here, and if my back weren't crappy I'd be out in it All.Day.Long.

MsJS -- you are a hoot. Very funny.

One of my favorite films is 12 Angry Men. Aside from the legal stuff, it is so lovely to see those classic actors in their prime -- Henry Fonda, EG Marshall, Jack Klugman, Ed Begley, Lee J. Cobb and all those others whose names will come to me later. And, speaking of Lee J. Cobb, On the Waterfront is a great movie, too, as well as Death of a Salesman.

And then there's Mr. Roberts. What a great movie. Jack Lemmon is masterful, and it's nice to see William Powell and Jimmy Cagney, too. And, needless to say, Henry Fonda.

I guess I'm old enough by now to cherish what came before instead of snorting (i.e., *snorting*) at what's here now.

Off to do other stuff.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

More muffins on the table, and omelets for lunch.

I doubt I'll watch the Oscars or read the postmortems. A slice of Americana that once fascinated me, but somehow no longer does.

ftb, I have always enjoyed 12 Angry Men as well. And am on the boodle record (in very bad French) as adoring Jack Lemmon.

Posted by: MsJS | March 7, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Library Journal releases list top 10 sci / tech books of '09

Posted by: Jumper1 | March 7, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Useless trivia: Jack Lemmon was born in an elevator at the same hospital where both #1 and #2 were born.

I love Mr. Roberts also. So many great old movies, they don't make 'em like they used to (yeah, I'm old!)

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, an Oscar Kit, on vacation! I'll be at a real-life Oscar party tonight, so will miss the Boodle comments in real time.

I've seen 6 of the Best Pic nominees, but not Avatar. I don't really have a favorite, but enjoyed Inglourious Basterds and A Serious Man and Up in the Air. The Hurt Locker was good, but I didn't like the main character much (I suppose that's the point). Watched Up the other day - love the beginning, but I have hard time getting into animation.

I saw Invictus the other day and it was long and slow. Amazing story, but somehow it needed more dramatic tension. I was surprised when it didn't get a Best Pic nomination, but I see why.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's hear it for useless trivia, sneaks!

I have friends who were born there as well, although not in an elevator.

Posted by: MsJS | March 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, MsJS, your Black Hawks are up 2-0 in the first period against my beloved Red Wings. Therefore, I have turned the game off, and have migrated to where my computer is, to put on some Eva Cassidy tunes and noodle around away from the hockey rink.

And, yes, I am admittedly quite the fair-weather-fan.

You're absolutely right, Sneaks. They certainly *don't* make movies like they used to. In fact, most of the time, I have no idea who the so-called actors/actresses are nowadays.

I guess I'm just a last-century kinda woman, eh?

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Oscar! Oscar!

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique
Have seen: Farmiga and Kendrick in "Up in the Air" and Gyllenhaal in "Crazy Heart."

I'll trust all the critics and Academy voters on this. If earlier awards went to Mo'Nique, then I'll trust these, too, and everyone else's best judgment.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
Have seen: Waltz in "Inglorious Basterds" and Plummer in "The Last Station."

I enjoyed Plummer in "Station" and thought he did an incredible job playing the 82-year-old Tolstoy. Plummer's comment as Tolstoy about the Luddites makes me hope that--or wonder if--Ned Ludd shows up in David Liss's next book, "The Darkening Green." Waltz delivered such a strong, superb performance from the opening scenes in "Inglorious" that he wins. Period.

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan
Have seen: Mulligan in "An Education," Streep in "Julie & Julia" and Mirren in "The Last Station."

The young Mulligan beat out Streep only several weeks ago for best actress honors at the British Film Awards. Recall that Bullock also took home a Razzie this year. A B&W photo of Bullock--cover art on an old Texas Monthly?--was prominent at the turn to the restrooms at the Salt Lick, since Bullock has a Hill Country ranch. Think she fell in love with the Hill Country after she made that Texas flick with Harry Connick, Jr.

I think Streep has won her share, and it will go to Bullock (her "old woman" award?) this time around because I think the Academy will want, in large measure, to bring the award "home." The award can't keep being the European best actress Academy Award, can it? Cotillard, Mirren, Winslet. Need I say more?

Posted by: laloomis | March 7, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

So, ftb, you won't turn the game back on if I tell you the Red Wings have come back to tie at 2?

Breaking news: Pakistani sources say an American-born al-Qaida spokesman has been arrested.

Posted by: MsJS | March 7, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's now 4-2 Red Wings.

Posted by: MsJS | March 7, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Oscar! Oscar!

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
Have seen: Bridges in "Crazy Heart" Clooney in "Up in the Air" and Renner in "The Hurt Locker."

If Evan Smith called out the (Adjective, please? Famous? Unusual) urinal scene in "Game Change" as one of his questions to Halperin and Heilemann toward the end of the program on Thursday in Austin, let me call out my Santikos Silverado stall scene after having just finished seeing "Crazy Heart" not long ago.

Stall to my right: I didn't realize the movie had so much music!

Me: I didn't realize the movie had so much alcohol!

Stall to my right: I read the review in the paper.

Me: I didn't.

When both of us women emerged from our respective stalls to the basin area to wash our hands, I asked the woman there if she was the one I had just been talking to. She was with another woman whom I took to be either a very good friend or a relative, possibly a daughter, given that there was about 20 to 25 years age difference between them. The older woman with whom I'd been talking said that she loved Bridges in "The [Fabulous] Baker Boys." I said that I liked Bridges in his supporting role in "Seabiscuit," since I *loved* "Seabiscuit." Ditto Bridges in "The Fisher King."

So, tonight Bridges gets his "old man" award, an career achievement award swathed in an Oscar. Clooney already has best supporting statuette for "Syriana," and I hope Clooney gets his "old man" Oscar soon. The Oscar not going to Clooney tugs at my heart some.

That said, I'd love to know more of the back story of Bridges and Colin Farrell and the voice coach for "Crazy Heart" to get these two actors song-ready. Expect Ryan Bingham's movie rendition of "Weary Heart" to take best song tonight. Little Bridges nit: his fretwork acting in the Clovis, N.M. scene in "Heart" wasn't convincing.

-more-

Posted by: laloomis | March 7, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Best director: Kathryn Bigelow
Have seen: All but "Precious"

A fantastic film with a woman who broke ground (and hopefully tonight a glass ceiling or glass lens) as director. This would be a good place to segue to our Thursday-Friday "war activities" in Austin, that feature two prominent women's stories--one dead, one living, but I won't.

Best Picture: Hurt Locker
Have seen: You know I thought the 10-picture list was five pictures too long.

The "Locker" movie best represents our times, but "Up in the Air" tugs at my heart even harder in this category. If Joel calls "Locker" a no-popcorn-run movie, I'd add that it's a no-bladder-break movie as well.

Posted by: laloomis | March 7, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News, I have a snowdrop flowering in the garden, and lots of Hellebore buds. Gorgeous day here, clear, 11c, trimmed the heck out of my old overgrown Wisteria, now have a large pile of twigs that need cleaning up. But I have a flower!. There is nothing like that first nice day of spring to make you feel full of energy.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their day and weekend, ours has been busy with a birthday party for a friend friday, and a going away supper for another friend yesterday.

Back later to be snarky about the Oscars.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

took the kids to see Up when it was released. a bit dark at the beginning for children, expecially for a Pixar movie, the a great story. i hope Jeff Bridges wins the best actor award.

Posted by: -jack- | March 7, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

scc: typed especially in a southern accent, then followed with a nonsensical post. meant to say that i thought Up was a great story and a great movie.

Posted by: -jack- | March 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Joel, did you, perhaps, mean to write gore "as" camp? For that would make more sense to me. And I think it is a valid criticism of the Tarantino style. And I go back and forth about it. On the one hand, I agree that it can be unsettling. On the other hand Tarantino's movies are so stylized and unrealistic that it is hard to take the violence seriously.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised to recently learn that Streep hasn't actually *won* an Oscar since 1983 when she won Best Actress for "Sophie's Choice."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm still supporting 'Up'. I know it has no chance of winning. Sigh.

Cheering for the underdog again.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 7, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

A movie like Invictus is always risky. On the one hand there is a natural tendency to want to cut message movies some slack out of support for their Noble Intentions. But there is a fine line between being inspired and being sold. When a movie becomes propaganda, or simply lazy, it doesn't just fail. It fails big.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Up is nominated for Best Animated Feature too - could win that.

I tend to judge movies by how much my attention wanders while I watch. If I'm trying to figure out how I would have made it better, then I figure it's not that great. The Hurt Locker, Precious, Inglorious Basterds, A Serious Man, Up in the Air were all like that for me. I want to see A Serious Man again. Crazy Heart is good too - love Jeff Bridges - good music - and I didn't recognize Colin Farrell. I'd like to see An Education and A Single Man (Colin Firth).

Posted by: seasea1 | March 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Watching TR Reid on C-span. Love how he so charmingly, and knowledgeably, disarms the nut jobs.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Azzam the American is caught.

I'm not going to be glad to think about him while this news cycle lasts, though. That guy is evil.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I meant that in those movies I mentioned, my attention did NOT wander. Yikes, I should try to at least get my meaning across in a simple sentence.

I don't think Invictus was propaganda. Nelson Mandela is an amazing, inspiring leader. Morgan Freeman did a great job portraying him. I didn't know the story about the rugby team. But somehow there was not enough depth to the other characters, the time line seemed a bit jumbled or unclear, and it was slow. I expected the music to be great, and for the most part it wasn't. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but I wanted it to be much better. Maybe Clint should have changed the rugby to curling - hahaha.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 7, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Outside of the Academy Awards does anybody actually use the term actress? It seems like it has become as old-fashioned as aviatrix.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

If there were more movies about curling, I'd see more movies. (Especially if they also had bears.)

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

YAYYYYY!!!

Red Wings beat Black Hawks 5-4. I saw the last 5 minutes.

Why does "aviatrix" bring to mind "dominatrix"? Hmm, my mood does seem to swing after a hockey game. Not that *I* would ever be either one of those for whom the term was coined. Either one of 'em.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you, RD, that my actor-daughter and her colleagues would not *dream* of calling themselves actresses.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of Nelson Mandela, one of my African brothers (the one who's the doctor) was doing his military service and was stationed at the airport in Lusaka, during a time when Mandela was still more out and about and was visiting Zambia on some sort of state visit. My brother said just looking at him made his legs go all wobbly and all he wanted to do was to go up to him, introduce himself and hug him. He declined to do so, but he told me that he will never, ever forget just *seeing* him.

Hey Yoki! I think we (the Red Wings) play Calgary this week. Can't remember if it's there or at home.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh seasea - I didn't mean that Invictus was propaganda. That criticism is reserved from much more overt message movies.

I didn't even think Invictus was pushy, per say. I just thought it was a bit lazy.

The movie seemed to just seem to assume that because everyone knew all about Mandela and apartheid the movie didn't have to work very hard to get people involved emotionally.

To me, the movie didn't earn it's emotional impact as much as import it from the real world. Even Freeman's effective mimicry of Mandela is only compelling if one really knows what Mandela sounds like going in.

That is, if a viewer happened to know nothing about the history of South Africa, I don't think the movie would have worked.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, ftb! The Flames play the Red Wings on Tuesday in Detroit, and again at home in Calgary on the 15th. My feelings were a lot less complicated when you and I weren't yet friends.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, RD, the lack of emotional connectedness was part of its problem. It's a big story to tell. I think I would have spent less time on the slow motion rugby scenes, and more on the setup, and the underlying mistrust and conflict which could have turned violent but didn't. It was an interesting idea, but for me the pacing was wrong. It did more telling than showing.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

ftb, I saw Matt Damon on Letterman Friday night talking about taking his two youngest children to meet Mandela. He said that even his then 2 year old was transfixed by the man - he obviously has an air of specialness about him from all that Damon said.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I just look at the Red Wings and cannot for the life of me believe that Nick Lidström will be 40 in a month or two and that Tomas Holmström is catching up there, too. I'm pleased to note that the youngsters are playing well (Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, and some of the other young Swedes), but this year has been hard for them, it seems.

I just watched yet another program on Swedish television in the series of theater folk (actors, all) and enjoying some food that some of the stars in the drama or musical make for the others. The one I just saw was My Fair Lady and the wonderful male stars I knew were Jan Malmsjö (who played the priest in Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander) and Tommy Körberg, who has the most incredibly wonderful singing voice I have ever heard. He's magnificent on the stage. Whew! Anyhow, at dinner after the show -- and in keeping with the theme in MFL, they were talking about dialects having a huge affect upon how one is treated. One of the actors (at least one) was from the south of Sweden, which has a particularly unique dialect (Skånska). In that dialect, much is swallowed (it's close enough to Danish (and it's right across the Sound from Denmark) to be almost indistinguishable. When that dialect is spoken, you absolutely *know* where the person is from. I used to have a "Stockholm accent" but I know that I don't anymore. Geez, it's been more than 30 years since i left that country, so I know my Swedish is rounded up or down, depending on how much I've practiced and with whom. But this program I saw had me laughing and laughing. Very, very funny. It was nice to know that the participants were laughing right along with me.

Now, if I could only do that in Swahili.

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

*ruh-roh* I seem to have killed the Boodle. How absolutely ghastly (assuming a British accent).

*slinking away*

Posted by: -ftb- | March 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Snuke,
A SERIOUS Man; A SIMPLE plan. BC was right after all.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come, come, Boodle. I know why you all watch the Oscars, Emmies, Grammies and G-Globes: for CqP's fashion commentary. That's why EYE watch, anyway.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

But I fear there will never again be anything like the humongous bow.

I mean, those kinds of special magical moments are so very rare.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Fashion alert! The red carpet show is on E! and the TV Guide Channel.

Posted by: Raysmom | March 7, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I am watching ETalk Canada, Ryan Reynolds looks dashing in a tux and Jason Reitman and his wife are a nice looking couple.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Ooh Frosty. I'm thinking Oscar big time!

Imaging if you will, a humorous movie about a bear who has a talent for curling. The bear -now keep up here- the bear would help a humorous group of incompetent but good hearted and ethnically diverse misfits defeat the rich fancy-pants curling team led by a mean nasty curling-guy snob.

Who, in the final scene, the bear would eat.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Sandra Bullock is very sparkling this evening, silver shiny dress.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

*Snort*

Now *that* is a Hollywood pitch meeting I would like to attend!

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Mariah Carey is looking characteristically um. ah. Mariahish?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Blech. Thought I had until 8...will do a bit but am also grading papers...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 7, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I am not a fan of the dress that matches the color of one's skin. What's the deal with that lately?

Retweeting @BorowitzReport: The next question after "Who are you wearing?" should be "Who operated on your face?"

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Which network are you all watching?

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

RD-very good story, except for the finale. The bear will simply trap the guy in his fancy car and rip off the mirrors, peel off the bumpers etc. The villain will somehow manage to escape but the bear gets the last laugh when he climbs in and drives off.

Just turned on the red carpet, let the fun begin!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

We're on E! Yoki.

I had a comment eaten-
RD-Love the story, but I think it should end with the bear trapping the villain in his fancy car. After the bear rips off a mirror, and perhaps a bumper, the terrified bad guy somehow escapes. The bear gets the last laugh as he climbs in and drives off.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Red carpet coverage also here...

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I was watching CW but just found E!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I am on Star channel, A-Tor also has the show, not sure if there is an American feed.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Think Sarah Jessica Parker used too much spray tan, not a fan of the dress.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Well there is the bear comment in it's first incarnation. I hope this doesn't continue on the biggest live boodling night of the year.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Jessica looks awful... as usual.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, they cut-off Mathew Broderick and he looked kinda annoyed.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't get SJP. I think she has 9 misses for every hit in the fashion dept.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does there seem to be more ugly dress this year.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Heard Stanley Tucci on Fresh Air. He was very excited about getting to wear this tux.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree TBG.

Just how tall is Katherine Bigelow anyway? She is lovely though.

I'm hating the E Interviewer though.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Seeing more than normal quite ugly dresses this evening, some odd colours and shapes that I am sure CP will be able to describe.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Theron's mid-century bullet breasts make me miss the bow.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank you frosti, I did not know how to describe that dress.

I had some sort of time delay in one of my postings, hence the two similar posts, sorry about that.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Charlize may have come close to the bow thing with this two bullseyes dress - yikes!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Quite so frosty! Jeepers, even worse than the grope moose sweaters from the Olympics.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

dmd-the delay is happening to me too.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW I see that Kathryn Bigelow is just a smidge under six feet.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Once again I note that Colin Firth looks great in a tux.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Meryl Street, looks stunning in white.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Clooney needs a haircut.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

SCC Streep

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

That is a great color for Queen Latifah

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Camera person loves Clooney. I don't like Ryan Seacrest! Meryl does look very good!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Meryl does look lovely, but I'm not sure about the plunging neckline. It makes me nervous.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Lopez in pale pink bubblewrap.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

RD, double-sided tape, lots of it!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Seacrest is just annoying.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I was wrong? How unlike me... :-)

If I was forced to choose between reporting from the red carpet and wrasslin' a bear, I'd shout, "Bring on yer bear!"

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little puzzled with J-Lo's train, but overall I love the dress.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

badsneakers - I can believe that!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh look. Keanu is trying to grow a beard. And failing.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I like Gabourey's blue dress. It works for her.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

J Lo's is the second bubble wrap dress I've seen tonight. I guess if they're nervous tonight we'll hear lots of "pop!" from the audience.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I think Robert Downey Jr. looks like Jack Benny tonight. In a good way.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the poor PR folks/handlers look miserable and way too "normal" for the red carpet. There's got to be a better system.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree TBG, why don't the stars just parade by, stop for a moment so we can get a good look at who they're wearing and then move on - this isn't a good place for talk and the questions are always stupid anyway! Did I say yet that I don't like Seacrest? I also don't like those other two, the skinny ugly woman and the guy with the weird hair, whoever they are.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Mudge is at the Oscars!

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

CquaP, any clue who so many of the ladies have tight, pulled-back hair styles? Color me unimpressed.

Posted by: Scottynuke | March 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh. Speaking of bubble wrap check out Giuliana Rancic. We must to fatten her up a bit.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

They said Sandra Bullock's dress was matronly. I thought it was lovely.

Kate Winslet is lovely.

Posted by: Raysmom | March 7, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Sandra Bullock is channeling her Nicole Kidman with the Asian styled beading.

Charlize Theron's top is hideous and would look even worse if she had breasts.

Someone tell Miley Cyrus to stand up straight. Her posture is too teenager-that-doesn't-want-to-be-there.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Kate looks beautiful but, somehow, less intriguing than sometimes. I dunno. Maybe it's the hair color.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Yea, Miley suffers from the Teen Girl syndrome. Looks very mature and sophisticated until she actually moves.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Cameron Diaz has Joker lips.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

yello-you are reading my mind re: Miley

Missed Sandra Bullock again.

Hate, hate, Clooney's hair.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Helen Mirren... stunning. Such a beauty.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

And just what is wrong with women who are just a smidge under 6 foot?

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Someone get Zac Efron a comb.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Love Sandra Bullock's dress, hate, hate, hate her hair.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I had the same reaction when I saw that picture TBG. I don't mind Sandra Bullocks dress, but the lipstick colour is awful.

Mariah really is a train wreck isn't she.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

And why exactly were they interviewing Zac Efron?

Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer, how great are they.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Mirren and Plumber. She is simply beautiful.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Jessica Parker looks like an ancient Egyptian goddess and not in a good way.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Yello, LOL!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I just switch to an HD channel right before they interviewed Sarah Jessica, it was not kind to her, Sunscreen Sarah before it is too late.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Rickoshea, I think it was more of a lucky guess than a matter of being right.

RD, I like Clooney's hair like that - but as you well know, I'm shaggy-headed dude myself.

The Red Carpet fashion show is fun, and the women all look great.

On a men's fashion note, I expect to see facial hair on many of the younger guys here. It's fashionable these days - 'staches and full beards. Interestingly, you won't see many goatees on guys under the age of 40. And as much as 80's-90's pastels are back in for ladies, men's pleated pants -- nope, not yet.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I just got in. Did I miss anything?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Everything goes better with Neal Patrick Harris.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

What is this? The Copacabana in 1952?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Who knew watching Dr. Horrible this afternoon would be a good warm up for the opening number?

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, what a total waste of three minutes: Neal Patrick Harris, allegedly singing.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 7, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice understated entrance there.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Best line of the night so far: Damn Helen Mirren...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Raysdad on Kathy Ireland: "Why is she wearing a backsplash around her neck?"

Best assessment I've heard on J-Lo's dress (on TV Guide): "It looks like her hip farted fabric."

Posted by: Raysmom | March 7, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Penelope Cruz. Wow. Like. Wow.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

See. You *can* win playing a bad guy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Classy speech too.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Better than average speech, that.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

The opening was over the top but I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I liked the dialog between Martin and Balwin, they work well together. I'm pleasantly surprised so far, maybe because I expect so little of this show every year...

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

My dad: "How old is Clint Eastwood?" I said, "72 I think. Maybe older.... Want to look it up?"

My dad: "No. I look good for my age, he doesn't."

So I'm not going to tell him Clint's actually ten years older than he is.

(He won't look like flinty roadkill in ten more years, anyway).

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | March 7, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

And they cut to mudge.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Up! Surprise. Surprise. Surprise.

But well earned.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Since I have no interest or control over the TV (currently on Home Improvement reruns), I depend on you folks to keep me informed. I'm looking at the pictures and find that I do not know at least 40 percent of the people photographed. Not that that is a problem for me. I assume if I need to know who somebody is, you folks will tell me.

Posted by: slyness | March 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I like Amanda.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Miley looks like she's afraid if she lifts her shoulders to their rightful place she'll have a wardrobe malfunction.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Amanda Seyfried looks so fetch!

Posted by: -TBG- | March 7, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

They are both so cute.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Be still my heart! I didn't know that Colin Farrell was in Crazy Heart!

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

You know, not just everyone can pull of shades like that.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

You know, I really liked District 9. So long as I didn't think too much about it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Paris 36 is available for instant viewing on Netflix. Just in case that best song nomination has you itching to see it.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Colin Farrell could sing.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 7, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Downey evidently just stepped off the set of Alice in Wonderland.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Wiki is slow tonight. I got to the Mark Boal article before his award was noted.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh. My. Massive Molly flashbacks.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Easy,Padouk, easy there.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice tribute to John Hughes, those films so big in my growing up.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Culkin looks horrible.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 7, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't sure if the clip from District 9 was real or some sort of satire.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree Frosty. Although I had a hard time noticing anyone but Molly.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Ally Sheedy is aging the best. Anthony Michael Hall was hilarious and unrecognizable on Community earlier this year.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Off-kit for a sec, because it's funny.

Today, DC and her sitter made cupcakes in ice cream cones. This evening, DC came downstairs and asked if she could have another one. Me, being in a good mood and wanting to make up for a not-so-great-mommy moment this morning, said 'sure honey, knock your socks off.'

So she took her socks off.

Posted by: LostInThought | March 7, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

What a funny French guy! Loved that speech.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Very funny LiT!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

That was awkward...

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

LIT, DC is very funny! I hope you are writing all of these great things down!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 7, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

RD, I'm with you - "Damn Hellen Mirren" was definitely the line of the night so far.

Surprised that "Inglorious Basterds" has an award already, but not so surprised about "Up."

OK, Ben Stiller's cracking me up with the live action Navi here.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Stiller is actually kind of funny.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Cute story story LiT, at super tonight we were discussing the grandmothers cookies, which due to her age are an experience, think she forgets a few ingredients. We talked about the last batch and my daughter said she didn't say anything becasue grandma is old, she then put her hand on my shoulder and very kindly said "You are old too". Kids you have to love them.

Also at hockey today noticed the nicknames that are on the backs of the shirts, on the opposing team two players - Thing 1 and Thing 2 - made me smile.

Posted by: dmd3 | March 7, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

LiT, that's great.

Can't believe they gave Roger Corman that standing ovation. I mean, I didn't think Battle Beyond the Stars wasn't all that great a movie... oh, maybe that was for the fabulous Ms. Bacall...

Monique -- I'm glad.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | March 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the show folks. I'm too tired to watch more. But I figure it might still be going when I get up.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 7, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Reading about Bakersfield, I must offer a review, because I was there Saturday, looking for a Basque meal.

At 4.45 pm, the Holy Trinity are not available -- Wool Growers has dinner from 6, Noriega Hotel has a single sitting at 7, and Pyrenees (which will serve dinner at that hour) is overrun by bikers and young rocker people in the bar and not really suitable for a single elderly gent IMO (although if you are a group, go ahead and you'll find great food in the dining room if you can tolerate the noise). So I went to Noriega's and asked the barmaid where I could find a Basque meal at that hour and she suggested Benji's, on the other side of the 99 fwy. I went there and had to wait in the bar (the bartender made me a Basque pichon punch), while a crowd developed waiting for the dining room to open at 5.30. The meal was great, equal to the other three places -- Basque set-up (cabbage soup, beans, salsa, pickled tongue[!], salad, marinated tomatoes, french fries) was great, and the main event of green beans in tomato sauce with roast leg-o-lamb was also great. Altogether $19 plus tax & tip. It's on 24th St -- take the Hwy 178 exit, and go west. If you're there later, though, I would also suggest Wool Growers or Noriega's.

LTL-CA

Posted by: Jim19 | March 7, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I think that Sandra Bullock's dress is tonight's winner.

The Oscar show as a whole? BOOORING!!

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Goodness. The woman sitting next to James Cameron, his newest wife perhaps, is seriously anorexic.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I am vary glad I had a postprandial nap, but I'm starting to yawn already.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, rickoshea. I'm knitting, watching the Oscars, and reading all kinds of bloggy stuff.

It is all slow moving. Even the knitting.

Posted by: --dr-- | March 7, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! Dancing. Lousy.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Cheese Ball! Is this meant to be awful? Did I miss something?

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, LiT, that makes me so happy. DC is really a DC.

Posted by: Yoki | March 7, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I made myself a white russian in honor of Jeff Daniel's upcoming award.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Err, Jeff Bridges. Hit the Kahlua a little too early.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

The Dude abides.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Indeed. (Did he get about 20 minutes of thank you time?)

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Nobody plays out a Baker Boy.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 7, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

And the Oscar goes to

Hurt Locker

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 7, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

And once again, the Oscar goes to The Hurt Locker.

This time for Best Picture.

Posted by: rickoshea1 | March 8, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHH! My *&%^$%#$ modem crapped out at 8:38 and has been down all through the show until just this moment.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrggggghhhhh!

Yeah, "Hurt Locker." Yeah, Bigelow (who happens to be hot, BTW. As if you haven't noticed.)

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 8, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Not "yeah." Jeez. Substitute "Yay!" Much better.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | March 8, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Yes, very glad that Avatar did not get Best Pic. I hated the way they hurried that award - I know they were running late, but surely they expected that. I thought it was kind of rude that they didn't announce all the nominees. Ah well...Glad Jeff Bridges won and that he gave a nice speech and mentioned both his parents. And I like having the actors talk about the lead actor and actress nominees. I thought having them all onstage at the beginning was kind of odd.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 8, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

And yes, Colin Farrell is in Crazy Heart, playing the successful young singer, Tommy Sweet. I couldn't figure out who it was when I was watching the movie! So nice to hear him talk about Jeremy Renner tonight in his Irish accent. If you haven't seen In Bruges, you must.

Also liked that Michelle Pfeiffer spoke about Jeff Bridges. I watched The Fabulous Baker Boys not long ago - great movie, with Michelle and Jeff and Beau Bridges, set in Seattle.

Posted by: seasea1 | March 8, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends, Ice cold orange juice, coffee or tea, hot, buttered yeast rolls, cooked apples, and cheese. Please enjoy.

I missed the Oscars but laughed at the comments concerning it, from you guys. After church, I have a habit of going to sleep, and waking up in the wee hours of the morning. My phone kept ringing, short rings, over in the night. No caller ID.

Mudge, Yoki, Martooni, Scotty, Lindaloo, and everyone here, have a great day.

Slyness, we're suppose to have spring like weather today. If God is willing, I'm going to enjoy the outside today. I'll be busy preparing for inspections next week, and another shot at the doctor's office. Hope it's lovely where you are, and you get the chance to enjoy it, and I don't mean work, unless it's something you like.

Posted by: cmyth4u | March 8, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all, and a happy spring-like Monday!

Oooh, wonderful breakfast, Cassandra, thanks for making it! Apples and cheese! A winning combination at any time of the day!

Gotta get my act together today to go to the accountant for tax preparation. That's a joy, but it's always a relief to get it over.

I dug up the tiger lilies Saturday and now have to decide where to put them. Sometimes I wish I had a background in landscape design...I also planted spinach in the yard and cleome, cosmos, and four o'clocks in flats. We'll see if I can get them to prosper.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day!

Posted by: slyness | March 8, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Hola, Boodlers!

It's almost funny. Chilean looters race each other to return stolen goods.

During a state of emergency here, police does not need search warrants. In a series of raids, Carabineros seized large quantities of stolen goods and arrested several dozen people.

When news spread of the severe penalties for crimes against national security, looters began leaving looted goods in areas where police would find them.

Yesterday afternoon, police in Concepcion collected 14 large truck loads.

Good news.
Those Boodlers who helped during the Teleton on Saturday should be happy to hear that 59 million dollars were collected, nearly double of the original goal.

About an hour before the end of the 24 hour effort the goal of 30 million was reached, but it had been a hard slog.

Then, something happened to the collective psyche. Mobs armed with cash and checks rushed to the banks, company managers and CEOs lined outside the theater to donate. Money from foreign companies began to pour in. Mario Kreuzberger kept going and in a few hours nearly doubled to money collected!

The bad news.
It rained in Concepcion last night.

Posted by: Braguine | March 8, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Hola, Boodlers!

It's almost funny. Chilean looters race each other to return stolen goods.

Yesterday afternoon, police in Concepcion collected 14 large truck loads.

Good news.

The bad news.
It rained in Concepcion last night.

Posted by: Braguine | March 8, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Hair-raising video of Tsunami

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | March 8, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I was locked out by the Hal bot...saying I had made too many comments in a short time....but, I was not boodling during the day.

So, I missed the great dressanalopolooza.....but my goodness the great designer in the sky sent a memo saying
Let there be sparkles and shiny stuff, AND IT WAS SO.
Let there be bare shoulders, one, AND IT WAS SO.

Almost no colors.....and NP Harris's tux was the sequin equivalent of a leisure suit: soft knit fabric with mini-sequins so tightly woven that the fabric preened itself while he stood and sang and attempted a Gene-Kelly command of the stage. You, earnest sire, are not Gene Kelly. You are Doogie Howser, a bit growed up. We like you but have good bs-detectors. The Gene Kelly moves are not yours. Sorry but we have our standards, unlike some of the skating judges of yore....Off to the day, will reread the fashion comments.....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | March 8, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Everyone. It looks like the Oscar results were well within expectations. For a moment there I thought that "Precious etcetera" was building up quite a head of steam.
I was glad to see Ms. Bigelow get her statue. And almost as glad not to have seen Streisand present it.

I'm sad that we don't get a Hank Stuever review of the after-show parties. But things is tough all over. He did write a nifty review of the show though:

Of course. He also called Molly Ringwald "pleasantly zaftig." For which he shall surely endure great suffering.

Now I feel obligated to rent "The Hurt Locker." Which, some assert, is the real purpose of this show.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Brag-I checked in with the telethon several times early on, then didn't catch it again until they were wrapping up. It was stunning to see the total. Well done Chile!

The Oscar show is quite a sleep aid. One day they'll figure out a way to cut it by an hour, at least. Not having seen either movie I could not speak with knowledge about the relative merits of Avatar and The Hurt Locker, but I saw enough of James Cameron in various interviews to develop an extreme distaste. It was good to see him skunked in the major award categories.

A pretty fog is hanging over the lake, river, and any open expanse of snow. I have some driving to do, but it can wait until the sun burns through.

Later gators.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | March 8, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh CP. I missed your commentary very much! The Halbot seems erratic. I think, sometimes, it just wants to be noticed.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | March 8, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

CqP and Mudge, I wondered where you guys were - sorry about the technical difficulties as it would have been much more fun last night with both of you here! :-(

That was probably the best Oscar show I've seen, but of course when the bar is low... Very happy for Bigelow, Bridges and Bullock.

Another nice day. Yesterday we ate dinner on the porch, haven't done that since last fall.

Posted by: badsneakers | March 8, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Somewhat bleary-eyed from last night's Oscars. You'd think I'd been there and were still holding on to my little golden guy. Well, you'd be wrong. Nevertheless, I did stay awake throughout the entire, mostly boring show, and then read a chapter of the third Larsson book. Silly me. Despite the caffeine I've ingested since breakfast, I'm still, well, bleary-eyed.

I very much liked Sandra Bullock's dress. I thought it suited her very much. Didn't like the lipstick, though, but I'm not a make-up person. I've liked Amanda Seyfried since Mamma Mia, buy I'm not ever gonna be a fan of Miley Cyrus (and not only because of the age gap (call that a chasm of huge proportion)), and I though her presence there was entirely misplaced.

George Clooney continues to be cute. He's a cool guy, with his Italian girlfriend du jour by his side. I liked Stanley Tucci's homage to Meryl Streep to be adorable. He is cute, I must say.

And, now, I've gotta pinch my cheeks to wake up and go draft a complaint. Wake Up, darn ya!!!!

Thanks for the breakfast, Cassandra. . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | March 8, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I missed the Oscars but appreciate the Boodling. Better than being there! My mother-in-law watched and commented that they put the very young women in fancy dresses but forgot to teach the girls how to walk or stand in them.

I can tell from the comments that the Oscars did not have enough bears.

RD, I like your bear movie idea. And yes, actresses are actors.

We have daffodils!

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Earthquake in Turkey, dozens killed.

Posted by: laloomis | March 8, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"It is my fervent hope that Mr. Cameron will find some modest solace as he does the backstroke through his swimming pool of shiny coins and sparkling jewels."

I would like to nominate RD and this sentence for Comment of the Week. Thank you.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

In fairly short order on Friday in Austin, three different publications passed through my hands (husband, two of those).

First, we received a USA Today outside our hotel room door. My husband knew how badly I wanted to get my hands on an Austin American-Statesman, so once we had been seated at Kerbey Lane on S. Lamar for breakfast and learned from our very tall, very skinny, heavily tattoed, bearded waiter that there was a newsrack outside the front door opposite the direction we had come in, my husband left our table to buy the day's paper.

Not finding a weekend activity guide in the Statesman, I began to question the young host in this restaurant (consistently voted #1 breakfast spot in Austin...we had eaten there only once previously, that location close to the Eschelon Building and its IRS offices, into which Joe Stack recently flew his airplace) who had seated us about things to do on a cool, overcast Friday in Austin.

He suggested we walk the greenbelt along the river. We had already done that. He then suggested we pick up a free-of-charge and very thick Austin Chronicle because inside is an activity guide, listed by day.

This is a long way of saying that we brought all these publications home with us. Yesterday, my husband was reading the Oscar stories in USA Today. He brought my attention to a write-up for Best Actor on page 2D. The writer had given the Best Actor nod not to Jeff Bridges, but to Colin Firth. The second graf:

The emotionally rich "Single Man" hinges on Firth's subtle performance as a college professor coping with the sudden death of his longtime partner. His smallest gestures palpably convey his overwhelming grief. While Bridges is a superb actor, the character he plays felt familiar. Firth's bereft academic is someone we have not seen, and his stirring portrayal is impeccable.
***

Given the misty-drizzlies here yesterday, we figured out we could go see the 4:30 p.m. showing of "Single Man" and be home for the start of the Oscar red carpet broadcast at 7 p.m. Having now seen "Single Man," I can honestly say that I didn't realize that Jeff Bridges had such incredibly stiff competition. The story of love lost and grief and despair takes place in Los Angeles, around the time of the Cuban missile crisis. It would have really taken extraordinary Academy chops to have given, in two successive years, a statuette to Penn for Milk and to Firth for his portrayal of Professor Falconer.

-tad more-

Posted by: laloomis | March 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

When I first saw the Kit title, I thought that although I admired Oscar's casual approach to life, I was more comfortable with the idea of Felix as a roommate. Of course, I have always preferred cats.

Posted by: Ivansmom | March 8, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

After breakfast at Kerbey Lane, we talked it over and decided to come back and enjoy our remaining time in our 14th floor room at the Holiday Inn with its four huge picture windows and incredible, fantastic view of the Colorado River and hills. We opened the drapes, moved two chairs across the room and read in front of the windows.

We had still not made any plans for the day. I had an opportunity, in front of the windows with its great light, to crack open the pages of the Austin Chronicle and study the activity list on page 84 for Friday. Nothing listed called out to me, but the last Friday event listed caught my attention (as I mentioned, my husband saw there were two theater locations, as published in the Statesman, showing "Ghostwriter" and was tempted to see the movie in Austin):

Society of Professional Journalists Conference: Keynotes, panels, experts, and more explore this year's theme. How to Save Journalism. Fri.-Sat. AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center, 1900 University Ave.

By going to the website now, I see it was geared for students, and Molly Ivins author Bill Minutaglio participated.

However, our day's activities on Friday were determined not by any information on inexpensive newsprint, but from the glossy pages of Texas Monthly. On Wednesday afternoon, we had stopped at our local HEB to buy the current issue of Texas Monthly magazine with its 63-item bucket list. We had already decided not to pursue chicken droppings bingo. We chose #62 on that list, because I knew it to be very close to the hotel, because I had looked over my left shoulder while my husband drove down 7th Street to reach Cisco's on 6th, so we could check it out and to see if Smith, Heilemann and Halperin were there, inside.

For several reasons (the primary one is that we had eaten a Mexican-style breakfast less than a week before so close to our own home), we decided to get back into the car and drive to Kerbey Lane for breakfast instead.

In an odd way, Halperin, Heilemann and Smith influenced our Sunday schedule, thanks to Evan Smith's offhand remark Thursday night about meeting at Cisco's for breakfast (huevos? tacos?) on Friday. We thought Smith may have been kidding while making the remark onstage, directing his words to the authors: "If you eat at Cisco's, you'll smell like Cisco's on the plane." Somehow, though, I remain convinved that if they, the stage trio, didn't dine there on Friday morning, they'd frequented it before.

Posted by: laloomis | March 8, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I am happy to report that after this nice, warm weekend, the yardstick on my deck has finally fallen flatly on its side.

Posted by: -TBG- | March 8, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful news TBG. I brought in some forsythia to force yesterday. The porch should be warming up in the sun and be habitable later on today. What a great time of year!

Posted by: badsneakers | March 8, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

There has been a new kit up for a while...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | March 8, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

SCC: I *l* chose #62 on the Texas Monthly bucket list, deciding how to spend Friday afternoon in Austin. Checkout was noon, we left the room at 11:59.

Heilemann and Halperin would sign books for the public at noon at BookPeople, about a block north of the Whole Foods "mother-ship" that fronts Lamar, north of the river.

Understand that my husband worked Wednesday night until midnight, as he did Tuesday night, and I was up late with him both nights. Given this room and its view--as compared with the one we had a handful of years ago in this same facility, that one a mid-level room overlooking 1-35 and the Chevron service station--we decided to capitalize on our good fortune during our stay. That previous stay at this particular Holiday Inn plays into Sunday's story, since it was on this earlier occasion, when my husband was enrolled in a software training class, that I really took the time to explore the O.Henry [Porter] house on 5th.

--more later today, I hope, on women and war--

Posted by: laloomis | March 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I flipped by and saw Bigelow win and win again. Skipped the rest. This is very good for her because she'll get funding to make more films. More good ones.

So many of these folks can't seem to identify their own strengths and weaknesses.

Cameron writes only slightly better than George Lucas, but he keeps writing his own stuff anyway. And the problem with his films is always always the writing.

Sandra Bullock can act, but she picks bad scripts. Maybe that will change now and she won't feel she has to do dreck like Miss Congeniality and All About Steve to keep her career going.

Clooney makes everything look so easy that no one thinks he's working, sort of the Robert Redford syndrome. Maybe if he played an addict or some sort of Bad Lieutenant (Harvey Keitel version) type of creepy character, he'd get some respect. After all, it worked for Denzel.

Then there's Tarantino. IMHO the best thing he's done was Jackie Brown. Why? He took a good story by Elmore Leonard (one of my faves) and he stuck close to the original. Tarantino can write for sure, but he is so wrapped up in his grindhouse fanboy shoot-em-up chop socky mentality that he doesn't seem to ever go beyond that comfort zone. I'd love to see him direct a Jane Austen film. I'd love to see Spike Lee direct a Hemingway biopic. So many of these folks have talent but are not encouraged by the system to expand their range.

Victor Fleming was a Hollywood director in the middle of the last century. Here's a portion of his filmography covering the 20 years 1929-1949-

Joan of Arc (1948)
A Guy Named Joe (1943)
Tortilla Flat (1942)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
The Great Waltz (1938) (uncredited)
Test Pilot (1938)
Captains Courageous (1937)
The Good Earth (1937) (uncredited)
The Farmer Takes a Wife (1935)
Treasure Island (1934)
Bombshell (1933) (uncredited)
Red Dust (1932) (uncredited)
Renegades (1930)
The Virginian (1929)

And what do we see? Epics, westerns, biopics, fantasy films, romantic comedies. foreign legion adventures, bodice ripping potboilers, and Spencer Tracy as a Portuguese fisherman. Fleming could do all these things because he was a professional and because he was not concerned with picking and choosing projects, he was concerned with doing the job.

Posted by: kguy1 | March 8, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Actually I thought Martin and Baldwin were quite funny, I laughed, their whole opening and I haven't laughed like that in years during an opening Oscar telecast. Of course, the rest of the show was boring and I didn't even stay up for the end, knowing I wasn't going to miss much.

Posted by: rannrann | March 8, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Hollywood should be ashamed of themselves for strutting their glitz and glamor and money while people are unemployed and hurting or suffering from natural disasters.

Posted by: 45upnorth | March 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I thought Martin and Baldwin were great and should do it again. I went out of my way to see Crazyheart and was not disappointed. It got to the point that I could almost smell the stale cigarettes, whiskey and cheap motel rooms. Jeff Bridges was unbelievable in this role. He was so natural, he fit the part beautifully. I am not a big fan of country music, I'm very selective, but I will tell you that every piece of music in this movie was wonderful, absolutely wonderful. I take my hat off to Colin Ferrel for asking not to be named in the credits and who knew he could sing, and sing well!

Posted by: Listening2 | March 8, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Basterds" was my fav film. Brad Pitt's accent was SUPPOSED to be bad. He couldn't speak German, French, or *snicker* even Italian, but the Nazi dude COULD. That was the whole point! Duh.

Posted by: GenuineRisk | March 8, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse