Goldman steals the show

Goldman stole the show in Washington yesterday, which is unfortunate, since it happened to be the day when President Obama's deficit commission finally got together for its first session. We have a story inside the A section. No one cares about debt. It's all numbers. It's forecasts and projections and assumptions. It's actuarial. The key witnesses were the Fed chief, the OMB chief, a couple of former CBO directors. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Meanwhile, Goldman is a compelling story with real people and actual greed. I listened to a lot of the hearing on the radio. Lloyd Blankfein didn't come on until late in the day, otherwise he'd have been the star. But there was plenty of drama, as well documented in the Post today in a front-page story, the Milbank column, the Pearlstein column and the editorial.

Although it's hardly clear that the SEC case against Goldman is a slam dunk, the firm's reputation has taken such a hit that, as Pearlstein noted, it's not going to be able to charge a premium anymore just for adding the luster of the Goldman name to a financial deal. Goldman just became Toyota. What's next, Rolex?

The Yankees???

(Worst case scenario: Chocolate revealed as not nearly as good as vanilla.)

I know not everyone is fascinated by the debt issue, and may not have circled on their calendars April 27 as the date when the Simpson-Bowles (Bowles-Simpson?) commission finally convened. But I say this is important stuff that may well determine whether we wind up working our butts off to pay debt interest to Asian investors the rest of our lives.

I read through the transcript, and here's a taste of it:

Ben Bernanke:

the reality is that the Congress, the administration and the American people will have to choose among making modifications to entitlement programs, such as Medicare and Social Security, restraining federal spending on everything else, accepting higher taxes, or some combination thereof. Achieving long-term fiscal sustainability will be difficult, but the costs of failing to do so could be very high. Increasing levels of government debt relative to the size of the economy can lead to higher interest rates, which inhibit capital formation and productivity growth and might even put the current economic recovery at risk.

To the extent that higher debt increases our reliance on foreign borrowing, an ever-larger share of our future income would be devoted to interest payments on federal debt held abroad.

Moreover, other things being equal, increased federal debt implies higher taxes in the future to cover the associated interest costs -- higher taxes that may create disincentives to work, save, hire and invest.

Peter Orszag:

Unsustainable budget deficits could also generate adverse effects on the economy that are both larger and more sudden than this gradual crowding out of private capital and rising foreign borrowing. Although interest rates on government debt remain historically low, substantial deficits projected far into the future could cause the market to rapidly lose confidence in the government's credit- worthiness, producing a spike in interest rates and fundamentally disrupting economic activity more broadly.

Robert Reischauer:

Like Rudy, I think there's one big shark and lots of little sardines, and the sardines are difficult to catch. You know, they're zipping around there. And we can make lists of those, and CBO and others have, but they have strong protectors, and they don't have huge visibility among the public. And so it's difficult to catch them.

We are, however, feeding another shark, and that shark is interest on the national debt. And over time, if we continue on this current path, you know, it's going to be an equal competitor to health care costs. And the big problem, of course, is that interest on the debt from the public standpoint is, in a sense, worthless.

I mean, health spending, you're getting health care, you're getting something for it. Interest on the debt is payments that go out for goods and services that the public has enjoyed in the past, but gives them no benefit now.

And were we to run up, you know, huge debts and then seek to balance the budget, people would be paying large amounts of taxes for which they saw no services in return because those services had been enjoyed by their parents and grandparents.

Rudy Penner:

We'll never reliably control the cost of Medicare and Medicaid so long as they have open-ended budgets. Medicare law defines an eligible population and specifies the treatments that they can be given, while excluding very few treatments. Then the government pays for the cost of anyone who comes in the door. The total cost can only be controlled indirectly, and it's difficult to forecast.

Reischauer:

the magnitude of the required adjustments is so large that spending cuts will have to affect programs we all care about and benefit from and revenue increases will have to come from a wide swath of Americans, in other words, raising taxes on the rich and on corporations, holding entitlement programs harmless, closing loopholes, eliminating wasteful and low priority programs, prohibiting earmarks, things like that are not going to be enough to solve the problem.

By Joel Achenbach  |  April 28, 2010; 8:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Still reading newspapers
Next: Hockey needs a rule change

Comments

Isn't it ironic that greed wins the day as opposed to doing what is right? Oh, that story has been told before! I forgot.

Posted by: cmyth4u | April 28, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

And speaking of comics (we were, yes?) --

I took a look at today's WaPo dead tree and was shocked to see myself in the Sally Forth strip... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 28, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I fell asleep halfway through the Reischauer quote about sardines (which, contrary to his assertion, really aren't all that hard to catch), and banged my head on the keyboard.

Maybe I just need more coffee, I dunno. But economics is like a triple dose of tryptophan, a cup of camomile, and Sade on the radio. Just mention "deficits" and its like I've suddenly developed narcolepsy. Next time I have a major operation, instead of getting a mask over my face for anaesthesia, I'll just get earphones and have someone read Samuelson and Pearlstein to me while they remove a giant tumor from wherever.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

This reminds me of the year I spent editing "The Investor's Guide to Bonds."

At least it felt like a year.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 28, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, unlike your office, I'm sure a healthy 80 or 90 percent of the Boodle knows all the words to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/comics/sforth.html

Sorry if that launches a tune cootie. It was unintentional.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Unintentional, Mudge. Riiight...

Cassandra, you crack me up. I think we all know that story very well.

To answer your question, our weather yesterday afternoon was nothing if not unsettled...I got the grill out for hamburgers, but before I got them half cooked, Mr. T had to move it into the carport out of the rain. Wind, sun, rain. Repeat and repeat. But we only got four tenths of an inch of rain out of it...

Posted by: slyness | April 28, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Not only do I know all the words, I know Gord is going to change the line about the main hatchway when he performs the song in concert- to reflect new research into the cause of the sinking.

Hello boodle! I find all the economics discussion absolutely riveting. But then I had a crush on TBG's former boss, right down to loving his horrible financial puns.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | April 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Gerson actually has an intelligent column about the Arizona thing, unlike, say, George Will's exceptionally and willfully obtuse column yesterday.

Meanwhile, Bob Uecker is going under the knife Friday for a heart valve job. I hope he does ok; I love Bob Uecker. The best worst catcher in baseball. And a great announcer. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042703159.html

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I think your man Fabrice Tourre is hilarious, in an evil sort of way.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Yep, hope Uecker comes through with flying colors. Do they have a "front row" in the cardiac care unit? :-)

Speaking of "worst" catchers, did anyone see the Brewers' Zaun completely forget how to toss the ball back to the pitcher a couple days ago?

And yes, I know full well the Boodle memorized TWOTEF eons ago. I'd love to hear Gord sing it live and revised! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 28, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

You mean this, S'nuke?

Yesterday was Martooni.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 28, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

What did Zaun do? Is there a clip somewhere?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"What's next, Rolex? The Yankees???"

Please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,puleeeeeeeze, make it the Yankees.

Posted by: kguy1 | April 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Found it. Eucker announcing: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/04/27/2010-04-27_zaun_battles_sasserlike_yips_vs_pirates.html

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

And not only that (*pant* *pant* *pant* *gasp*) my beloved Red Wings won the series with Phoenix last night -- we whupped 'em! And now Nick Lidström is 40 years old (*clearing cobwebs from the aged brain to remember that age, vaguely*) -- what a b'day present.

What I found enjoyable on one of the clips from the, um, "testimony" yesterday was one of the guys (can't remember name, as they all look alike -- buncha white guys) had such a hard time actually admitting that his bonus was $9M. Yeah, I'd choke on it, too, man!

We all might be in the wrong bizness, eh?

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Red Wings. They had the advantage of the Coyotes being off their game due to recent gubernatorial intimidation.

Posted by: engelmann | April 28, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

We might be in the wrong business, ftb ... but on the other hand, we aren't soulless amoral scumbags headed to jail.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I was delighted for the Red Wings. And I am growing increasingly nervous as the hours count down to the big game 7 tonight. Boswell is very good on the Caps today.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was gonna say "speak for yerself, mudge" but then I caught myself. Really. I almost fell down, and you all know that once that happens, I can't get up again.

And they may be soulless, amoral scumbags, but if they actually go to jail, it won't be the likes of Attica, will it? They'll go to a country club prison and will get to ride tractors and everything. You know, a boy's dream ..........

*sigh*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

I'm tired today. Something about being chased all night by a governor with a gun - but I'm never sure about what goes on in that state... (ahem)

The newspapers were indeed handy for cleaning up this morning, though my hair is remarkably remarkable today, even for me. Feathers come out a lot more easily than rusty barbed wire, that's for sure.

Speaking of issues with chocolate -- Joel, I did post a bit to the Boodle on Monday few days ago regarding a study linking chocolate and depression. Trust me, don't look (ha, I initially spelled that "Tryst me..").

Re. the Goldman hearings -- Anyone suprised about the testimony and commentary yesterday? Not I. Will and ego and unshakeable self-confidence have always been necessary to succeed in our civilization. And you don't need to just go back to folks like Mark McGwire and Raffy Palmiero to see what self-serving evasive Congressional testimony looks like, either. (Please note that I didn't even mention Barry Bonds).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Jon Stewart had a good comment on "Fabulous Fab"- "It's great that he already has his prison nickname."

Posted by: kguy1 | April 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

All of this just goes to reinforce the idea that Congress is not comprised of serious people. Instead of Byron Dorgan spouting inane political claptrap excoriating Goldman for "betting against America," how bouts some of the Capitol Hill denizens take a second to turn that gaze inward.

Maybe we should start enforcing the rules that we have, instead of going of half-cocked for primarily political effect. How about a lawsuit against the SEC for criminal negligence in the Madoff affair (Yes, that's a rhetorical statement. I know it's not possible). How about investigating the role of the SEC (again) and the bank regulatory agencies whose defense of their role in the financial meltdown was "our people aren't smart enough to understand the MBS and CDOs that our constituents were investing in." How about some serious introspection into the role of Fannie and Freddie in the real estate devaluation--to say nothing of their Congressional enablers. Don't forget that the cost of bailing out Fannie and Freddie is greater than all of the other bailouts combined.

I get so tired of all this political kabuki where the same people who were bought and paid for with the lucre of Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan etc are now lining up to score political points by bashing the pinata. Trust me, come August, all the House and 1/3 of the Senate will be "hands out" looking for the support of these same individuals.

Posted by: Awal | April 28, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Wilbrod... that Sally Forth link almost made rotini shoot out my nose. That is most *definitely* me.

And hi, everybody!

I got nuttin' to say on the Goldman thing, nor the debt thing, mainly because I am completely clueless regarding how money works and should be managed. I'm quite good at spending it, mind you, but as for its care and cultivation... not so much.

Posted by: martooni | April 28, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Awal said it pretty well. Lots of times at these Congressional perp walking finger wagging sessions, the waggers get so wrought up they forget they are they not only showing they have no idea what they are talking about, their ideas of right and wrong are revealed as flaky at best.

Like what's-her-name ranting laboriously about gambling and not seeming to know the crime is rigging the roulette wheel.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 28, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The control room for the deficit has only two knobs. One says taxes, and one says benefits. Everyone pretty much agrees on this. The argument is where to set the knobs. And what makes this such a nasty debate is that there is not a single obvious solution.

Some say turn the tax knob up. Some say turn the benefits knob down. Some say turn both knobs down, but turn the benefits knob down more. Some say turn both knobs up, but turn the tax knob up more.

All of these solutions will reduce the deficit. It’s just that they will produce very different kinds of pain in order to do so. And the relative ranking of this inevitable suffering is intrinsically linked to fundamentally different ideological outlooks not amenable to consensus.

This makes me pessimistic that this commission is going to be able to develop a single optimum solution for reducing the deficit. And since the commission lacks legal authority, even if it somehow does manage to produce a unified recommendation, I fear such a recommendation will be immediately shredded by partisans in Congress.

What I am hoping for is a clear and credible appraisal of what kind of pain each possible solution will produce. If this is accomplished in a compelling way, then at least we will have the basis for an honest debate in Congress.

And it is in this debate, if it comes, that the Political Will Joel describes will be so sorely needed.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

If you aren't incredibly motivated by money, Goldman Sachs doesn't hire you. They don't think of it as greed. They consider themselves focused. And their focus is making money. No matter what the consequences.

The Congressional hearings and momentary loss of reputation are a mere bump in the road. I predict their lawyers will outlast the gummint lawyers in court and, after a hefty fine, Goldman will return to bidness as usual.

As for Obama's debt committee, more talk and no action. The debt is a 30+ year rant, which explains why some folks don't want to hear it.

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

*knock knock*

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Who's there?

Posted by: Manon1 | April 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I love self-reinforcing stereotypes. Sometimes the stories writes themselves.

"AUSTIN, Texas - Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area."

But as a runner, who could actually run with a pistol strapped to them? I have enough trouble with a 16oz water bottle. To say nothing of the fact that I have encountered rattlesnakes somewhat frequently when trail running here in Colorado. They're not very aggressive. Nor, generally, are coyotes--especially with a dog as big as a lab. If here were out running with his Pekingnese, maybe he'd have something.

Posted by: Awal | April 28, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

My grad school classmates were aghast that I turned down an offer from Goldman in favor of becoming a financial weenie for a manufacturing firm. If they only knew I almost turned down the interview as well. I wanted to be associated with something that actually added value, vs. just twiddling someone else's money.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MsJS on the debt committee. People would much rather rant about cutting waste than look at the numbers and admit it can't solve a problem of this magnitude.

Thank you one and all for the WOTEF tune cootie.

Posted by: Raysmom | April 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to take a bet? I bet no jail time. Nada. Zilch.

I was just asked to join the most technical, dream team project in my organization. As I was telling TBG, enthusiastic people I really like. I think I have something to offer, I said yes. . . My old company just called with questions I declined to answer (6 months after is my limit). . . It's been a good day despite meeting with auditors on 3 separate systems.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 28, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I repeat my earlier highly cynical comment that Gov. Perry's comments are meant for the campaign trail as opposed to the jogging trail. *eye roll*

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 28, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

My wife doesn't jog, but she does use the treadmill every morning. She usual;ly carries a .357 K-frame magnum with dum-dums, because she's afraid of spiders.

My legs don't permit me to jog or even walk, anymore, but I frequently carry a hammerless .32 Smith & Wesson when I do my crossword puzzles and cryptograms. Ya never know when the word "varmint" might crop up unexpedtedly.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I intend to carry a backpack nuke for my non-lycanthropic runs, just in case of airborne pollen.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 28, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ooh! Ooh! LYCANTHROPE as a boodle handle!

*snapping and grrrring with delight*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The deficit problem always boils down to which saced cow is going to be sacrificed. You see these polls where people are asked what to cut, and they say foreign aid, or welfare, or something like that. The biggest chunks of the budget are defense and entitlements. No politician who wants to remain in office is going to lobby for substantial cuts in defense, and by the same token no one wants to seriously discuss cuts in Social Security or Medicare.

Posted by: ebtnut | April 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

When encountering varmints, especially rabid ones, I find it is useful to have an offspring nearby, one who can be commanded to go kick the beast until it surrenders or departs. This has worked for me, every time I have tried it. And the rabies shots aren't so bad, these days. For the offspring, that is. Personally, I steer clear of such situations. It's only prudent.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Mudge left the spider where it splattered.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 28, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Tim, make sure to note that it is a felony in the state of Maryland to carry a concealed offspring. By all means, do not transport the offspring through DC unless the offspring is registered in the District.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 28, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Overkill, I say, putting a powerful gun on a spider...

SciTim, how is SuperTrooper? I hope all is well in your part of the world. No more rabid foxes, either.

Posted by: slyness | April 28, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

During my jogs I carry (literally) a motion-stabilized, three-barrel version of the A-10 Warthog's 30mm chain gun.

Hey, some of those deer have sharp horns and hooves, yanno.

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

As The World's Biggest Sally Forth Fan, I must weigh in on one of my peeves. The WaPo comics page credits Sally Forth as "by Steve Alaniz & Francesco Marciuliano; drawn by Craig MacIntosh". Steve Alaniz hasn't been involved with the strip for years and years. Francesco 'Ces' Marciuliano who has butted heads with Weingarten on several occasions has been the sole writer (but not illustrator) for most of recent memory since Greg Howard retired.

And Ted Forth is My Hero:

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I find the Gov. Perry story very disturbing on many levels but then I don't like guns or 'macho' governors. We have coyotes here too, not sure what I'd do if one decided to attack but hope there would be an alternative to blowing it away.

Hey Martooni, how's it going?

Posted by: badsneakers | April 28, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I would never dream of jogging anywhere with anything less than a L/12 42-cm Type M-Gerät 14 Kurze Marine-Kanone howitzer. You never know when trench warfare will break out.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The problem with cutting things like defense and procurement spending is that money doesn't buy stuff -- money buys man-hours. So long as the procurement stays with US companies, it is a classic redistribution of wealth. Cutting that sort of spending cuts US jobs, leaving those people in need of another job or unemployment support (which is paid from taxes). So, no real gain. Same problem with medical spending -- it covers salary costs for somebody, so cutting it sharply does not do anyone any good. Same for all the other entitlement spending -- cutting those costs does not eliminate an unnecessary frippery that suddenly ceases to exist. Cutting those costs eliminates income for somebody, somebody who (more than likely) already had been unable to locate that level of income by private means. There probably is a more useful way to employ government's resources (surely our situation is not optimal), but merely squeezing programs will not shrink the balloon, it only makes it swell somewhere else.

We like what we get from government, and we want more of it, and we want it distributed tolerably fairly. That pretty much means taxation, because cutting benefits does not really cut society's responsibilities, it only assigns them to a different category. A larger fraction of each dollar earned in the US needs to be devoted to the needs of society as a whole. We need a fair taxation system (i.e., not regressive, and not unfairly progressive), and we need more tax revenue over all. I have ideas for how to accomplish those goals, but there are many credible ideas in that direction. The critical point is that we have to pick one of those approaches and use it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | April 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

SciTim,
Do you have any offspring to spare? Mine is geographically inconvenient lately.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The world needs a curmudgian blog for satire on the news of the day.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 28, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

As the son of two generations of career military officers, it pains me to suggest that most military spending is simply wasted. We build large expensive gadgets and literally blow them up.

The only difference between just shredding the money and burying it in a hole is that more people are employed the other way. As economic activity it is very counterproductive occupying intellectual, industrial, and financial resources that could be brought to bear on more useful endeavors like producing flying cars or transcontinental dirigibles.

We need a military and right-sizing it based on our true defense needs is something that needs to be done, but I don't see that balancing the budget. Although avoiding land wars in Asia sure couldn't hurt.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of jogging with weapons, I was startled at the complete lack of security at the Texas Capitol building. I was able to jog right up to the front door, walk through the building under the dome and out the back door.

There were some security types milling around but none came up to me asking if that was a laser sited .380 Ruger in my pocket or was I just happy to be in Texas.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I like RD's dialing nobs notion. I also like what Peter Barnes says about rethinking capitalism. We now operate in capitalism 2.0. 1.0 was the beginnings of the new paper credit ushered in by markets in London after about 1610 or so.

Capitalism 3.0 (also the title of his book) ideas:

NOW: globalized Cap 2.0—is rapidly squandering our shared inheritances -- minerals, oil, land, atmosphere, plant library, animal stocks --. We need to apply property rights to our "commons" heritage that belongs to us and the future (oldsters/ancestors used the stuff with varied levels of stewardship). Let's apply property rights and strong institutional managers to our commons.

Property rights undergird our current system. The are not allocated in ways that 1) will sustain us over time 2) address equity problems now. We give too much power to profit-maximizing corporations that "devour our commons and distribute most of their profit to a sliver of the population." Government is complicit too in this income/wealth transfer. " And government—which in theory should defend our commons—is all too often a tool of those very corporations." MORE

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | April 28, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is all hard to imagine but get this boys and girls: rethinking property rights on tangibles (earth, land, resources, air, oceans, forests, etc.) is a whole enchilada better than the time and intelligence and effort wasted on the derivatives of derivatives and insurance-reinsurance through experiments clicked into the finance world. Insert another rant here about how they all bleeped us royalty....

Imagine if the Goldman-Sachs wunkerkind types could apply their brains toward rethinking our economy into sustainable and distributed reasonableness. Wow, let's try greed for good for a change.

Barnes (biz person, not a green savior, BTW)is more than willing to use standard capitalism tools. His major innovation is the commons trust—a market-based entity with the power to limit use of scarce commons, charge rent, and pay dividends to everyone.

END of pie-sky thinking. Carry on with debt discussions.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | April 28, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Afraid of spiders. Oh, my. Still laughing about that one. Freakin' Perry. What a nut.

Re economics: I find that my interest in financial stuff waxes as my tolerance of politics wanes. If you haven't heard This American Life's story on Magnetar, get ye to their website.

And if you want engaging chatter from an actual Econ prof, anything ANYTHING by Tim Taylor (The Teaching Company) is well worth the money. Ach ... I have SUCH a crush on that guy.

Afraid of spiders. BWA HA HA!

Posted by: KBoom | April 28, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Look for Mitch Romney to enter the gubernatorial biathlon soon.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

It's 'Mitt' Yello, and I should know as when he ran for gov here I refused to vote for him only (at that time) because of his name. I mean really, Mitt?? He was one of a long string of lackluster governors here. Now that he's gone, he seems to go out of his way to 'dis' our fair state. Jerk.

Posted by: badsneakers | April 28, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Running on trails where there might be snakes does actually have some risks, but you would likely get bit before you knew there was a snake nearby. He'd be better off carrying a compact umbrella to scare off snakes or coyotes, but ironically that would probably be more of scandal for the Governor than carrying a laser sight pistol. Personally I carry aerosol VX for all my personal protection needs.

Posted by: engelmann | April 28, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The thing is, the economy isn't a zero sum game. In the private sector money is borrowed at some cost, used to create something profitable, and the original loan paid off. That's how the economy expands. Whether this process produces something "useful" or not is a function of the market. That's the way capitalism works. Markets determine value.

I mean, are Ipads "useful?" Well, I guess the market has deemed them so, which will allow Apple to pay off its debts to its investors.

The distinction with federal employees (as opposed to contractors paid by the government) is that we don't create wealth. We can, indirectly, if we invest in things, but my salary pays me to perform a service deemed important in and of itself by Congress. The government isn't a "for-profit" entity.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Man, I wish that double-post bug would vanish.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

To the dialing knob analogy, don't discount the option of just answering any outside calls by saying "Frank's Pizza".

Posted by: engelmann | April 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

sneaks,
I knew that. Must have gotten him confused with Mitch Ryder. Wasn't Romney the guy that was so proud of his heartwarming story about putting his dog in a carrier on the roof and driving down the highway until it went into bowel distress? That's who we need as president, Clark Griswold.

Mitt also got upbraided for his rather far-fetched tales of varmint hunting in his youth. Expect a veritable parade of GOP hopefuls arranging for helicopter wolf hunting photo-ops in the next election cycle.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 28, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Perry carries a laser-sighted pistol, loaded with hollow-points, because he's afraid of snakes just confirms my theory that all of these open/concealed-carry advocates are fundamentally just hopeless weenies.

Mudge, I think the front page layout is because of the coal ad on the front, not a page redesign.

Posted by: rashomon | April 28, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's important to keep in mind that the debt and the deficit are different things.

Posted by: LostInThought | April 28, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If my "Annie Hall" memory serves me, a tennis racket should suffice for any errant arachnid up to "trantler" size. Firearms are only required for the Goliath birdeating spider.

When people advocate cutting foreign aid, I always ask if they mean Israel, cause they're the biggest of the lot.

Posted by: kguy1 | April 28, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually, even explosives are apparently ineffective against Really Big Spiders. (Or is that Spiders of Unusual Size?)

Posted by: rashomon | April 28, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

This fellow ought to testify before Congress:

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 28, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

kguy, another thing about furrin aid is that it ain't much ($26 bil in FY 2008) of the total US budget (about $2,900 bil in FY 2008).

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Rashomon, everybody knows that only Clint Eastwood can kill a spider that big. (He flies in and saves the day at about the 1:45 mark.)

Posted by: kguy1 | April 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Whoa!! Cilizza has what I'd regard as a major breaking story, but for some reason they've buried it way down the page. Here's his lede:

"Charlie Crist plans to switch parties, run for Senate as independent

"Florida Gov. Charlie Crist plans to announce he will run for the Senate as an independent, leaving the Republican party and setting up a three-way fight in the fall, according to several sources briefed on his decision.

"Crist is expected to make the announcement, which had been rumored for weeks, tomorrow afternoon in St. Petersburg.

"Sources close to Crist warned that he could change his mind at the last minute -- and has shown a propensity for doing just that -- but that as of today he was set on an independent run.

Considering how the politico blogs have been discussing this for weeks, I'd think this warranted a major spot, like #3 or #4 story.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Kguy, I loved the comment on that page:

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six rockets, or only five?"

Posted by: rashomon | April 28, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that was CLASSIC!

Posted by: kguy1 | April 28, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Alas, it seems like the DC zoo's mamma panda is not with butterstick. Awwwww.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

*catching up, once again*

Scottynuke, on my treks I carry a very sturdy shepherd's crook. After attacks by very un-Wilbrodogs (such cuddlers) in my youth I developed a healthy appreciation of my unconscious beta status. The method of stopping still and brandishing the crook has served me well.

Mudge, I HATE the Wapo new homepage. It looks to me like a print that has been matted within a mat within a mat and the content didn't deserve the careful attention of the framer. IMHO, o'course.

Woke up this morning with much to do and was aghast that the new kit sent me into budget/deficit technicalities. At my age I will be absorbing the 'push the retirement age ahead' sponge and worrying about my son and the world's children handling the fallout of shortsightedness of these supposed forecasters and commitee confabs.

RD_Padouk's knob-turning metaphor enables me to see the dilemna in 'roundhead' terms. I also appreciated Joel's synopsis of the statements made by the 'heads that be'. Call me lost in the weeds beyond that, but not because I don't have a lawnmower.

Himself and I are preparing for a trip to CN and DE schools as historical reenactors in classrooms. Music, relics, costumes, etc. Wish us luck. He does military; I do civilian. (oops, a semicolon)

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Just backboodled. Mudge, I'm so glad Mrs. Mudge is fine. And I can appreciate her choice of painkiller.

Posted by: Raysmom | April 28, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

BCC: "the sponge absorbing"
He**, what does a sponge know?

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

In Oly news, the IOC is stripping China of its bronze women's team gymnastics medal.

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Somebody should drag Gov. Perry to a range, hand him a .380 semi-auto and make him shoot at 10 yards. I suspect the target will be pretty safe.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Nats beat the Cubbies, 3-2.

Believe it or not, they are 11-10 and in 3rd place in their division -- and even more remarkable, only 1 1/2 games out.

Whoda thunk?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 28, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Whereas the Cubbies are below .500 but in 2nd place in their division.

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, MsJS. That news about the Chinese gymnasts really surprises me. I never thought the IOC would have the fortitude to stand up to the Chinese.

But, as the saying goes, where to the gymnasts so cheated go to get their decade back?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Yep, how 'bout them Nats. I would be *delighted* with a .500 season. Heck. Anything about .400 would do it for me.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the home page just being subjected to an intrusive ad?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

LiT - yep, you are right. People, including me, can get sloppy about the two terms.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 28, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

RD, each member of the then-fourth place squad (the US) will have to answer that herself.

Apparently the underage gymnast in question now publicly admits her true date of birth, which puts her at 14 during the 2000 Olys. Oops!

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"Speak softly and carry a big stick--" President Theodore Roosevelt.

Sounds to me like the right plan, Talitha.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 28, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Three Redding, CA eaglets snuggle to keep warm today.

Posted by: bh72 | April 28, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Habs and Caps still 0-0 in the 1st period.

Must be going. See y'all tamarra.

Posted by: MsJS | April 28, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

1-0 Habs

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Too many penalties. Breathe...

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Winkin' at Wilbro and tha' dawg -
quietly.

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Banksta rap:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | April 28, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Pulling the late shift again. Not feeling good about the Caps if they can't score in almost 2 periods. Do feel pretty good so far about the Nats. They get Strasburg up in a few weeks, they may make some noise in the division. Don't really see them getting past the Phils, but respectability is a good thing after recent disasters.

Posted by: ebtnut | April 28, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is the Sun acting up?

It auto reloads every five ten seconds…

Even if I manage to click a link to another page it still does so

Posted by: omni3 | April 28, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

omni... did you accidentally ctrl-click/right-click and choose "Reload every..." on that page?

My macbook has that option (at least in Firefox).

Posted by: -TBG- | April 28, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

A very good friend of mine on Wall Street, who has found herself working at Goldman Sachs at one time or another, told me during the "bonus" kerfluffle, "If we can't make outrageous money anymore, I might as well do something I enjoy... like teaching or something."

So it's not just why they're hired there, it's why they want to work there in the first place.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 28, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

That strikes me as unbearably sad, TBG. Like, I really can't bear it.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Knock knock?

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

There was a good quote from a Wall Street financier in Michael Lewis' "Panic!". I can't remember the exact words, but the financier's son asked him what he did for a living. He thought for a minute, then pointed out to the street. "You see that car? It is a Toyota. We used to make cars here, but now we get them from overseas. That $25,000 leaves the country. My job is to get it back."

Great inside perspective. Wall Street spends its time figuring out ways to attract money from foreigners. The can get it from straight-up management fees. Sometimes it is just quicker to get it the old-fashioned way.

I wonder how long it will take until people from outside the US are onto them.

Posted by: steveboyington | April 28, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

TBG, could you ask your friend what the heckTdoodle is wrong with teaching? Heaven knows if they would allow some of us with "background" into the schools, give us (if our degrees don't measure up) certain 'remedial' creds and turn us loose, there might be a shift of consciousness. I say this as someone who was hired 'on contract' to teach art in an
'inclusion' school. The system was pathetic. There has to be a shift in who-knows-what to who-knows-better.

Rant over.

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Carp. That shot on the post was 5 tiny degrees from perfect.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, boodle.
I get really PO'd when I hear about folks who worked for large corps, bemoan their burst balloon, and can't grasp the fact that others never hitched to that particular bubble to achieve happiness in life.

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Any time you need to know something about Rick Perry, just ask Kinky Freidman. An example:

I have a better head of hair than Rick Perry; it's just not in a place I can show you.
Kinky Friedman

Posted by: steveboyington | April 28, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

No, talitha.. she'd LOVE to teach. But she won't bring in millions of dollars teaching and believe me, she does now.

What she was saying was that she would become a teacher if the bonuses stopped for good. But I guess you just get addicted to the money.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 28, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Gosh. Sorry Warshington folks.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. But we need the money of round 2. Toronto is bleeding Canadian teams dry.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Um, steveboyington, we already are. And that is why China is happy to hold on to all that US debt.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful!

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, let me chime in, hockey-wise. I watched most of the game, and was rooting for the Caps (even though I've got friends in Montreal whom I will congratulate tomorrow).

I think that my experience with following the Red Wings has taught me a lot about the value of patience and the value of no expectations (and I mean that in a good way). Here's the thing -- the Caps had a fabulous regular season, and they have excellent players, but what they *don't* have is the experience of being and playing in the playoffs. An 8th ranked team just beat them in the best of 7 games. The reason, I think, is that Montreal played with an urgency that they needed to in order to beat the best team in the whole league. The Caps played like they felt entitled to win the series because, well, they were the Caps.

It doesn't work that way.

The Red Wings did not have one of their stellar regular seasons, mainly due to injuries (and, okay, probably age, as well), but they ended up with more than 100 points for the umpti-umph season in a row. The Wings were forced into an unusually rare 7th game against Phoenix -- out *there* FCOL -- and beat the you-know-what out of them, because they didn't want to lose and because they knew they had to *play* hard to win that last game. And because they have tons of playoff experience (both good and bad).

What I wish for the Caps is that they learn from this experience and have a great year next year so they can get into the playoffs again and do better than they did this year. I feel for Bruce Boudreau, I really do. I'm not sure he could have done anything differently for his team, but they sure could have done a lot of things differently for him, for each other and for their fans. It's a huge disappointment, but let's see how they get on with life now and prepare for next season.

Pontificating over. Do get back to what you were doing.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for the Habs, sorry for my friend who was wearing his lucky Caps Boxers…

TBG, by ctrl-click do you mean left click on mouse while holding down the ctrl key? The Sun has been doing this using Safari going on two days for me…

Posted by: omni3 | April 28, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh carp, the Flightless Birds now!
Note to the Habs: do not finish last in your conference. Easier pickings.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | April 28, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

ftb, this is why I tried to point out Boswell's column this morning. The Habs were *fired* to win, and the Caps thought they deserved to.

And us Canadians are big and physical and play hard. And will give it up, when we've owned it.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

You betcha, Yoki! You have to play as if you want it, not as if you deserve it. Nobody deserves anything in life (well, I may change my tune on that once I win the lottery (fat chance of that ever happening, tho)) -- you have to work for it.

Ah, well.

I just sent an email to one of my buddies up in Montreal. I also said that if we both meet in the finals, no hard feelings, eh?

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 28, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I hear you, TBG.
Just angers me that children might benefit from adults with knowledge and skills that don't conform to state-mandated, union-sanctioned norms. I say (pie in the sky) that any of us with the will and skill ought to reach out and teach. *sigh*

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

beloved ftb!

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

*Laughing with shriek* Too right, mate.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Recent local wisdom: if you are going to blow off a season, at least do it spectacularly and get a first round draft pick.

Maybe some flurries tonight. Apparently quite a bit for Yoki.

Posted by: engelmann | April 28, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

If I sent a sincere letter to the super that I have only one formal experience teaching but no certs I could get a job?

Informally: I've gotten good reviews twice teaching english to Spanglish speakers, once schooled a young man in his own native language of all things.

I know how to simply efficiently program computers.

Kids seem to like me, so do parents

Posted by: omni3 | April 28, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Yup! Up to 30 cm. About of foot of snow. I just love April/May in this country. Gawd's.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

D@mn. A long post held for review.

Night, 'all.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 28, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

SCC: I could should be could I

no editorial blog posting job for myself…

I just very weel might be the Rothko of the English language…high bc:pollock

OK that was dum

Posted by: omni3 | April 28, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I think my SCC may be more confusing than wat I wan casting aboot

te abuve was delib…sorry…no sccs

Posted by: omni3 | April 28, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

g'night, dbG

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Faulting beautiful Halak. In postanalysis.

Posted by: Yoki | April 28, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Great smackdown on The Daily Show between Ken Blackwell and Jon Stewart. Haven't seen that kind of spluttering in a long time.

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Habs fans. Halak was great, and earned that design on his goalie mask, IMO. They did what they needed to to win. Was discussing the game with the guy next to me at bar pre-faceoff that Montreal would win if they kept the game to a low-scoring defensive battle. And indeed they did - they played *their* game and not the Caps' high-scoring Ice Storm. Good luck with Pittsburgh, y'all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Caps now the only sports franchise in the past 30 years to lose three (at least) best-of-seven playoff series after leading three games to one? Sheesh.

Hi, OmnivorouspotentniscientBoodler.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 28, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

omni, kids liking you is that open door to teaching, isn't it? That's what clicked with me. The kids actually liked what I knew and asked questions and teaching began. So simple, really, and I didn't know I had it in me until I tried.

Posted by: talitha1 | April 28, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

St Pete Times story for Thursday says that Crist was busy calling supporters today about his decision to run independently, and will announce at 5 pm tomorrow in St. Pete.

Miami Herald story is very similar.

This may ruin Democrat Kendrick Meek's chances. He doesn't seem to be regarded as a heavyweight, but has been campaigning diligently and has been looking pretty good in the polls.

Re: Gov. Perry's pistol. The things are heavy. In nearly any hiking, much less running, situation that I can think of, there would be a fairly long list of more useful things to lug around. These folks might help: http://www.mazamas.org/

Shooting an upset snake? Doesn't seem a very good target.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 29, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm feeling terribly proud. A well-recognised food journalist and blogger just retweeted one of my tweets. I've arrived!

Posted by: Yoki | April 29, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

No fair, Yoki, you should share the tweet/retweet with us!

Good morning, all. Hi Cassandra! A cold 42 here in the South this morning. I will miss this weather in August, but right now I'm ready for warm.

Onward into the day...

Posted by: slyness | April 29, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the Habs, Yoki. A warning: I am a low-grade intensity Bruins fan. See you guys in the conference finals? Your draw is tougher.... Pittsburgh much better than Philly.

Posted by: steveboyington | April 29, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the note about the Blackwell interview, talitha. The thing that Stewart was great to mention is that what Obama is doing is exactly what Bush did throughout his entire term. Blackwell never addressed that.

One thing that gets me about partisans, but the GOP in particular, is the "11th commandment". Never criticize the party. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he really opposed most of what Bush did. His partisanship and the 11th commandment made him sit there for 6-7-8 years and say nothing. He had to wait until there was a Democrat in power to get all hot and bothered.

The result? All the partisans who were just like him now dance around the fire hooting and hollering about Obama destroying the constitution... when Obama is no different than Bush. They somehow don't understand when non-partisans mock them for their rampant stupidity.

Posted by: steveboyington | April 29, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

steveboyington, you know full well the Boodle always needs more bears.

Particularly ones on skates, carrying long sticks.

*moment-of-silence-for-Mr.-Tony's-choking-dogs Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 29, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

How big is hockey and the Canadiens in Montreal?

Posted by: dmd3 | April 29, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

The state of Oklahoma is passing patently unconstitutional laws just so that their attorneys have something to do.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 29, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

A quickie with Dave Barry:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | April 29, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Scottynuke, I was going to hold off on making a TK/"choking dogs" reference... but there it is.

There must be some kind of contagion in the Phone Booth they share with Les Boulez. Are Curses communicable? And can they move from building to building (and no, this isn't something like Legionaire's Disease that can be treated with antibiotics. But there's no truth to the rumors that Ted Leonsis is considering bringing in a fire truck full of Holy Water to spray the Verizon Center down or ringing it with a barrier of garlic garlands like the barrier they're putting around the oil spill in the Gulf.)?

Les Habitants won fair and square, and I hope they beat the Penguins, too (I'm such a homer. And a Homer. D'oh!).

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 29, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I don't watch hockey, and don't know a thing about it, but that game with the Capitals wasn't a good thing, was it? I mean it was good for the opposing team, but not you know, pretty? Help me here.

Morning, Slyness. I'm so tempted to turn the heat on but simply refuse to do it. I know during the months of July and August, I'll wish for these days. Real bad.

Martooni, good to see you. I'm in your camp concerning money. I don't know anything about cultivating it and not much on spending it to get value, yet I suspect a healthy dose of greed works pretty good for any lack. I'm not geared that way because I spend every dime I can get my hands on. I'm sure one needs to have some miserly traits to balance the greed. Hope you are well.

Going to vote today. We took the kids to early voting yesterday so they could see how that works. Not one girl in the bunch, just the boys. I think I'm going to wait until the g-girl gets out of school and take her with me. People don't campaign anymore do they? I mean they put up a sign or list their qualities on a board, and that's about it. A live person one does not see. Is being a candidate like being a telemarketer(sp) now?

Have a beautiful day, folks. Love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | April 29, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Did I call this one or what? Cilizza's story on Charlie Crist is the #4 story today. (Took 'em a day to read the Achenblog and figure out where to put it, though.)

*patting self on back, applying liniment to hyperextended arm*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 29, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Yoki! What was the tweet?

Is there a word which means a tweet has been forwarded? I want it to have a Q not followed by a U, for Scrabble use.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

New Kit! And Yoki, it's about *hockey*!!!

Wheeeeeeeee!