Obama in Southeast, etc.

[Busy day. Some quick takes...]

HUGE day for sports fans. This is the moment we've been waiting for.

No, not the NCAA championship game in Indianapolis. Yeah, that's tonight, and it should be a rough-and-tumble, low-scoring, sharp-elbow, ankle-biting affair full of blocked shots and hard fouls. My bracket went kablooey -- are you SURE it's not Kentucky-Syracuse?? -- but I definitely plan to be riveted to the TV through the first half and then nod off in the second. Why does the game start so perilously close to my bedtime? But I forget, it's not about me. Anyway, the NCAA championship is nowhere near the top story of the day.

And no, the big news isn't Opening Day for the Nationals and the first full day of baseball around the league. Nor is the big story the decision by the Redskins to trade for Donovan McNabb, arch-enemy quarterback for the arch-rival Eagles. (My first thought is that he seems a little bit long in the tooth, and it will be weird trying to root for him. I mean, why not just sign Roger Staubach?) [McNabb-friend Mike Wilbon LOVES this move.]

Anyway, the HUMONGOUS news today is ... Tiger's holding a press conference! Tiger Woods is playing actual practice rounds at the Masters, coverage of which will be live on ESPN. Yes, live coverage of a practice round! Here's Tiger practicing hitting a golf ball! Here's Tiger practicing lining up a putt! I'm just wondering if any of these other stories will even be able to make the Sports front tomorrow. I'm picturing a key in the corner of the page: "Inside: Butler dogs Duke, page C7."

[From Post story: "Though Woods traditionally holds his pre-tournament news conferences on the Tuesday prior to the opening of the event, the Monday time slot may shield him from at least some unwanted attention -- at least in the sports arena -- because the NCAA tournament championship game is Monday night, and 26 of 30 major league baseball teams are involved in season openers."]

[By the way, Tiger's the Vegas favorite.]

What a fantastic thing for the First Family to attend Easter services in Southeast. Here's the surprising line in today's story: "Until Sunday, Obama's trips to Southeast Washington consisted of a visit to a charter school and a stop at a burger joint near Nationals Park." He's a busy man, but part of his job is to lead, inspire, connect. He doesn't need a filibuster-proof majority to make a difference in people's lives just by showing up in a forgotten corner of the USA. Question for someone who knows more than I do: How often has Obama visited inner cities and poverty-plagued communities as president? Versus going to fundraisers and swing-state venues?

Excellent rule of thumb: Never believe a word of any story that makes a reference to a "Missing Link" between apes and humans. [As I wrote last fall: There ain't no missing link.]

Obama's first pitch: Bats left, throws left, governs left....

By Joel Achenbach  |  April 5, 2010; 8:12 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Battle of the gap years
Next: Bet on America (cont.)

Comments

Mr. A, the same question could be asked of virtually every President, not just the current one.

Posted by: MsJS | April 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

True, but Obama is the first African American president and as such has a unique role to play in providing leadership in the black community. Many African American leaders have been grumbling that he's ignored blacks for much of his presidency so far.

Posted by: joelache | April 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I cringed when I saw that "missing link" headline. Not only does it perpetuate the myth that human evolution is a linear progression, it also gives ammunition to ignorant people who make the spurious argument that humans couldn't have evolved from apes because apes are still around.

Trying to get people to understand that both modern apes and modern humans have common ancestors seems too tricky for some to comprehend. Or, perhaps, such people simply refuse to allow themselves to comprehend the truth.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

But I think a lot of people believe that human beings are superior to "animals" -- not acknowledging that humans are just another species of animals. How many times have we heard the phrase "dumb animal?"

There were far more "superior" humans who died in the 2004 (I think it was) tsunami than "dumb" animals, as the animals sensed it coming and headed for higher ground, and the humans didn't have a clue -- or most certainly never paid attention -- and died or lost family members as a result.

Besides, it seems to me that human beings represent the only animal species that kills for pleasure. How stupid is that?

And, since it's Opening Day, GO TIGERS!!!!

That was plural. . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

One of the implied themes of Obama's campaign was always that it was about competence and not race. Indeed, I, personally, became quite irate when people like Bush make comments implying that Obama's election was a civil rights victory. To me, this was a way to spin Obama's victory as being more about race and less about a repudiation of Bush's policies.

Because of such perceptions, Obama has been careful to portray himself as a President who is black and not the black President. But, as Joel points out, some feel he has taken it too far. I mean, other Presidents have been able to enthusiastically embrace their ethnic background without risking a loss of credibility, so why not Obama? The answer, of course, is that being African-American isn't the same as being Irish-American.

So, I assert, Obama's decision to attend a service in a traditionally black church reflects a President who seems increasingly confident. As well he should be.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that is quite fair to Obama. It seems to me that his political success owes much to his refusal to be defined by race/ethnicity. Why should a president be asked to lead a particular community, when it is his job to even-handedly represent all his countrymen?

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

What Yoki and Padouk just said.

All you Missing Link deniers have never seen my kids' bedrooms when they were teenagers.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I would suggest that the Boodlers take a look at Ann Telnaes' cartoon video.

*gasp*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Mr. A, to add to what RD_P and Yoki have said, I could take the last sentence in your 10:40am post, insert the word "Illinois(ans)" where you've written "African American" or "blacks" and it would be just as valid. But I rather doubt it would be newsworthy outside my state.

He's also a southpaw, and I have yet to read any mention of his intentions to tackle the biases that lefties face in a right-hand-dominated world.

Posted by: MsJS | April 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, you write, "Why should a president be asked to lead a particular community, when it is his job to even-handedly represent all his countrymen?" I don't think it's a zero-sum game, for starters. And I'm not saying Obama should lead the black community -- of course he's the president for all Americans first and foremost. But if you're on the east side of the Anacostia River, a president showing up, and this president in particular, is a big deal and has potentially a great intangible benefit to the community. Isn't it win-win for everyone?

Posted by: joelache | April 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

fyi i added a few links to the kit...

Posted by: joelache | April 5, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

fyi i added a few links to the kit...

Posted by: joelache | April 5, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

See? See? there *were* missing links after all!

Oh, wait...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

MsJS - But I am arguing that being black is different from being a lefty. I am saying that the symbolism of an African American President is tremendously powerful, and that this symbolism can cut both ways. Obama has always known this, but now that he has a solid track record of accomplishment, he appears, to me, to be more willing to give that "intangible benefit" that Joel describes than he has in the past.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but look on the bright side. Temperatures in the area have been WAY above normal for over a week now, so global warming is a proven fact, case closed end of story adios that's all she wrote. Right? Right? RIGHT?

Posted by: kguy1 | April 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

About 45 years ago PaterJS misplaced one of those thingies that hold one's shirt cuff in place. Never found it.

So there is a missing link.

Posted by: MsJS | April 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

One thing about the McNabb trade, I guess, is that it, once again, shows the artificiality of regional fandom. As Jerry Seinfeld once quipped, "When it comes down to it, we're just cheering for laundry." That is, you are cheering for the uniform.

And maybe normal grownups have always been keenly aware of this. But there are a lot of people who personify team allegiance, especially when you are talking about the Eagles and the Redskins.

There are folks who didn't view McNabb as a talented player employed by the Eagles, they viewed him as an "Eagle," a characterization fraught with a lot of emotional baggage. So it's gonna take folks a while to work through the cognitive dissonance necessary before they can fully embrace him as a "Redskin."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

When I was grilling sausages this weekend, I started with 6. Turned to do something else and when I looked back at the grill, there were only 5. Missing link, indeed!

Posted by: ebtnut | April 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

It's probably a win-win now that health care has passed, don't know if he could have afforded the appearance before then.
ftb - IIRC, humans are not the only species that kill for fun. I'm thinking about stories of orca groups that target dolphins and 'play' with them until they kill them, quite a shock to the researchers observing the scene. Or adolescent orphaned bull elephants that were moved to a new game park, and started killing rhinos. Both were groups of young males; the latter was handled by darting and trucking in a mature bull. Maybe it's testosterone thing. Then there are the tales of chimps hunting for rival chimps and beating them to death. I know guys who love to go hunting; they love getting away from the office, the male bonding, and no doubt the adrenaline rush to the blood. The links are not so much missing, as they are still in us. I'll take mine sublimated in sports. Let the games begin.

Posted by: km2bar | April 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

That AOL story I linked to may be the worst story I've ever read, not counting some of my own early Miami Herald work. In addition to being loaded with mistakes and mischaracterizations, it's completely derivative of another story, which was also really bad.

Posted by: joelache | April 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Good morning. Looks like I can still say that for a couple more minutes. Boodling from the iPad for the first time. Hey! It didn't change that to "noodling."

I have always been a fan of Donovan McNabb and will be happy to see him in Redskins laundry. I kinda always thought Randall Cunningham would end up in a redskin uniform. He always reminded me of a Joe Gibbs kind of player. Alas we are just a quarterback too late. At least we never dot Bubby Brister.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"Dot?" well, there you go.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Cool. "Teacher of the Year" was my 8th grade English teacher. She was pregnant at the time. Funny to think that kid is almost 40.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, yes, indeed, km2bar. I did see that show about the adolescent male elephants who were separated from their "families" and had therefore not learned the proper socialization from their mothers (bull elephants tend to be loners except for procreating purposes).

It still bugs me, though. Of course, that makes me think of the praying mantises and the female biting off the head of the male after mating. Kinda strange way of asking if it was good for him, eh? Certainly was good for her, I suppose.

Point conceded.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The ultimate proof of the Seinfeld quote is the 1987 Washington season. After the first two weeks of the season the players staged a walkout and the owners hired scabs and resumed play in week four. Washington's scabs won all three games they played before the strike ended, outscoring the Cards, Giants, and Cowboys by a combined 79-40. The regular players returned and won their first game back but were booed by the fans at RFK as they left the field because they had beaten the Jets 17-16! Booed by their home fans because the margin of victory was not big enough.

This is very well understood by the team owners and is one reason why the players are penalized if they remove their helmets on the field. Players become more recognizable as individuals without headgear. (Of course the other reason for the rule is that removal of the headgear might be a prelude to use of same as a weapon, but we all know how very unlikely that would be.)

Posted by: kguy1 | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

One more thing before I get demoted to whatever tier (actually, this is on kit)...

I was disappointed a little (now hear my out) at the time of the inauguration that Obama was the First Black President BECAUSE the Republicans could justify the crowd of millions to themselves that it was because of the historic nature of the event, not because a crowd of millions was so happy to rid of George Bush et al.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

ebtnut, more missing links! They're everywhere!

As for the President's visit to Southeast, it is what you want it to be. I'm not much into symbolism, so I view it differently than others might. Hence my original question at the top of the boodle. I like hearing others' perspectives though, and hope everyone else reads and considers them carefully.

Posted by: MsJS | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I think some would argue that the President's job doesn't entail even-handedly representing all citizens, but only symbolically repesenting them. Considering the tossed-salad nature of our society (US as a melting pot is a myth), a here-and-there, this-group-and-then-that approach could be an effective way of fulfilling that role.

MsJS, we relied on a couple missing links in the fencing to bypass the path to school (and head to the pool hall).

The McNabb trade...what do you think the chances are that the goal here is to go for a break-even year (8-8), raise the value of the team, and sell? Can we hope?

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | April 5, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I got to thinking about this Heinlein story today and figured I could share it:

It may not be available online somewhere.

Posted by: Jumper1 | April 5, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Boy. If "boodling" is loaded in the iPad lexicon then Joel really has made it big.

I'm glad Obama spent Easter in Southeast, I agree that it is a big deal, and I agree that as he is a more confident president he can afford those gestures without being marginalized. As someone who lived in Southeast, albeit briefly, it was my impression pretty much nobody in power of any color dropped in regularly. Taking Joel's point a little farther, I think you could ask the same question (when was the last time you visited...) of governors and mayors.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If you skip the 18th hole and head directly to the Clubhouse....a missing link?

Posted by: LostInThought | April 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

As much as I like Jerry Seinfeld, what he knows about sports and sports teams and their fans you could put into a thimble. He was going for a laugh, that's all. His quote has no actual usefulness whatsoever, and other than a wisecrack it has no useful place in a discussion of fandom.

While Joel is right that politics isn't a zero sum game, it is also a question of timing and priorities. The guy has only been in office for a year, and he's had some whopping big stuff on his plate. Showing a little love to the black community, while important was not (and should not have been) on the top of his to-do list. I think he needed a good solid year or more in office to show exactly that he was NOT going to be a "black president." So he won his first major battle getting health care through, and he's got to deal with Iraq and Afghanistan. When those are reasonably off the front burner, then he can turn to his next tier of jobs and priorities. But I think it would have been an awful tactical mistake to start visiting all-black communities too early in his term. I think his timing on this particular question has been impeccably correct. First things first, that's all. He'll get there.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey all! Dan Quayle is taking questions now about the Tea Partiers and the Rethuglican party! Someone asked him about third parties and having Michael Bloomberg run. Danny boy thought Bloomberg would be fine, but only if he rejoined the Rethuglican party.

*expletive laden explosive laughter*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

LIT, I had the same thought about the McNabb trade, except I didn't think as far as a sale of the team, just the idea of a nice calm even season to raise the prestige of the team.

Posted by: nellie4 | April 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Ah! Nothing like a good political chat from one of the elder statesmen of the GOP braincramp.

Braintrust. I meant braintrust. Really I did.

Bwahahahahahahaha. Dan Quayle. Jeez, that's a good one.

Except he's right, of course: the TPers can only do harm to the GOP. I mean, if even Quayle recognizes that fact...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was great that Obama attended church in SE, especially so soon after the killings there. I'm sure it meant a lot to the folks there, who have been ignored by every president in memory. I'm so glad that Obama gets out now and then. How often did W do that? He and Cheney were too skeered to be in the same room together. I think Obama has shown so much courage already, and he and Michelle have reached out to the local neighborhoods in many ways. Politically, it's not good for him to be perceived as favoring African Americans. You know, the right wing might say he was for reparations or something. Oh wait...

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I think this must be one of our cultural differences, as I still find it strange, that the "President going to church" is news, and discussed. I do not recall a similar event here, short of funerals, weddings. ecumenical events etc. I could be wrong.

But then I really do not care what religious affiliation my political leaders have, or even want to know, and strongly believe it is private and should remain out of the political realm.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

dmd... it's WHERE he went to church: a Black church in a poor, ignored neighborhood. Presidents are supposed to go to the gentile churches in Washington.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess I didn't express properly what I meant. Of course it is not a zero-sum game. But, it is no more required for Obama to visit Southeast because he's African-American than it would have been for Reagan to visit and "provide leadership" to a poor Irish-American enclave in Boston (or wherever); presidents should be visiting lots of different marginalized communities to increase their understanding of the people they lead, untied to the ethnicity of the president or the residents.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

While I certainly feel that people's religious habits & affiliations are interesting to me only to the extent that they appear to inform other behavior, it's worth noting that this particular president had his church affiliation blow up into a major political issue during the campaign, and it will probably always be an issue of heightened interest for some folks.

Posted by: bobsewell | April 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, dmd. I assume the Obamas have many opportunities to worship as they wish, and do so. Of course they went to church on Easter. That they chose this particular place, at this particular time, is newsworthy, IMO. I hope it was a positive event for the church and its members. A Presidential visit is not something to undertake lightly, given the personnel and baggage that comes along with one (a motorcade of 22 vehicles?? Jeez). It was a very big deal for a lot of folks.

Posted by: slyness | April 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I can't find a sound feed or any other gameday-type Internet coverage of the Nats game. Scotty, you monitoring anything?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

dmd, that's true. I think since the assassinations in the '60s, the president is very protected, and anytime he gets out in ordinary neighborhoods, it's news. And a little scary for those of us who lived through that. The US president may be more of a celebrity than the Canadian prime minister (within their own countries, I mean). This story wasn't so much about which church Obama attended, but the fact that it is in a very poor section of DC. I doubt that W was ever there. I don't remember W going out in DC at all...and I think it was Gorbachev, not Reagan, who made news by getting out of a motorcade in DC to shake hands. Of course, Reagan got shot in DC, too...

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I just find it distasteful (not in particular to Obama - but in general). I would rather see a "photo op" at a community event in that neighbourhood. Using religion as a photo op bothers me, using religion in politics bothers me. I do not think the press should cover where and when a leader goes to church unless it is for an event that is outside the boundaries of worship.

I am sure the community was thrilled, and should be, would they have been any less pleased if it had not received press coverage?

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Telegraph story on the Sterkfontein skeleton must have broken an embargo. A quick look at Google News indicates they spilled the beans.

Discovery Institute already has a blog entry dissing the Telegraph story.

For the Masters, I expect Woods to play poorly (by his standards, not anyone else's) and the winner to be whoever doesn't choke on the final day.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Obama wasn't using the church visit as a photo op. There were hardly any photos of him or his family at the church at all. He didn't speak. But it is news when the president goes anywhere - even if he goes out for a burger, or throws out the first pitch at a baseball game (talk about a photo op). The story about the visit to SE noted that the Obamas will not have a regular church in DC, because of all the fuss they generate when they go out.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I mean, really:

and

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

dmd... I see what you're saying, and in general I agree. I think Bush used religion in a very distasteful way... he claimed to be a "Christian" but did, for the most part, many unChristian things.

But in a community like the one the Obamas visited, church is so much more than religion... it IS community.

And I don't think they cared whether there was press or not. The PRESIDENT came to their church. A president they feel understands and represents them (not because he's black... the city felt the same about Clinton).

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

But I think they should be able to go to church, when and where they want, with as little fuss as is possible for a person in that position, I just don't believe it is news, it becomes a "photo op" not of their chosing but because people follow every detail.

I admire that they don't attend regular church because of the fuss, but am sorry that that is the situation.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Great now I have to apologize for Justin Bieber, again! :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dear. Phillies up 5-1, bottom of the 6th.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I thought they didn't pick a local church because they didn't want to play favorites, but I'm not really sure about that.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

11-1. *sigh*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

John McCain says he doesn't consider himself a maverick. Yanno, despite all those campaign ads and stuff. And everything Palin said about him. And the 97 sound bites, news stories and YouTube clips. And this week's Newsweek piece.

This man is pathetic. Can you image if they'd won?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If you google "John McCain maverick," there are 1,200,000 results. Must be that lamestream media makin' stuff up agin.

Posted by: rashomon | April 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Mudge... those folks really believe that, despite much evidence to the contrary, if they say it, it's true. This latest by McCainis a perfect example.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that Senator McCain dropping the "maverick" label doesn't mean the word itself will be in the news again. I swear, I got so sick of hearing it in 2008. Other words or phrases I could happily forgo:

rogue
Main Street/Wall Street
going forward
elite(s)
Our most important resource is our people
For your convenience
"We recognize you have a choice in air travel"
government takeover of [x]
super majority

Posted by: cowhand214 | April 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget "real America(ns)," cowhand.

Posted by: rashomon | April 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

May I add my peevies?

issues when problems are meant

the youth are our future

grow the economy (not said so often but still rankles as a verb)

American way of life

passion (can we ban this in the under-32 crowd?)

Thank you, Rash and Cow.....

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"My friends."

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hello boodle! Busy getting Chez Frostbitten South ready for frostfam habitation so have only lightly backboodled.

On McNabb-this trade only shows what we already know about the incompetence of current Redskins ownership. A great player now will not build the franchise into a winning dynasty. They'll get a shot, or two at a Superbowl and then be rebuilding in what seems like perpetuity. Do not doubt me on this, I lived in Kansas City in the Joe Montana years-and who knows what the Vikes are going to do. (Granted McNabb is not yet that ancient, but not so far off that the theory won't hold).

My condolences to Nats fans, while I continue to savor Joe Mauer's still newish 8 year contract with the Twins.

I'm with RD on the Obama Easter church attendance analysis. Well said.

Totally in the tank for Butler tonight. Should probably run downtown and rent an oxygen tank. Don't believe I breathed at all in the second half of their semifinal.

re: global warming Ice completely out on Our Fair City's lakes on April 1. Unheard of! Truly a record early date. We are usually sweating having it out in time for fishing opener (Mothers Day weekend).

Later gators.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | April 5, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

peeves-
that was random (when strange, or uncomfortable or who knows what is meant, but certainly not random)
that's so gay
could of when could've or could have is meant (ok if you can't hear the difference, though there is one, but unforgivable in writing)

I'll stop now so I can get that oxygen tank.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | April 5, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Adding to your list, cowhand:

you betcha (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
patriot
"can field dress a moose"
heartland
evangelical
veto-proof
values
family values
plus shipping and handling
act now and you'll also get
exact same
pookie
grassroots
Elvis has left the building

Apparently that 9th inning rally I was hoping for never materialized.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

In a world where one man must stand alone against the mob, where solutions are architected and mission statements are value added, in this day and age, when open source mission critical infotainment flows like goose excrement, only a maverick can march to the beat of a different drummer and still remain in lockstep with a former half term governor of a state with fewer inhabitants than Columbus, Ohio.

Posted by: kguy1 | April 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Remember, the Nationals best team is in the future. The pitching is two years away, at least and one more decent free agent signing.

Posted by: russianthistle | April 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and "values voter," as if the rest of us have none.

Posted by: rashomon | April 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, do spare some oxygen for me, frosti for the Butler game tonight. I was also on the edge of my seat watching their game against MSU. I so hope they slaughter (in a good way) Dooooke.

And, for all you baseball fans, my Detroit Tigers are up 1-0 against Kansas City in the top of the first. Whatta game, eh?

And I can say that, since the Detroit Red Wings lost their last two games, the second of which was on television for all the world to see. Well, we're in the playoffs, and nobody's injured too badly now, so we'll just see how far we get.

Man, these sports franchises are makin' mincemeat of my heartstrings! Might there be medication for that, Mudge?

*ouch*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, kguy! Such eloquence. Indeed, the "flows like goose excrement" made me snort in appreciation.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

But Mudge! I was thinking about becoming CollegequaPookian. Rats.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

but never, never CollegequaDookian. Blech!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 5, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wine, ftb. Or gin.

Adding: "mission," mission statement and mission-critical.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Duke?

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

I'm very sorry to report that my FIL passed away in his sleep last night. Your good thoughts for NukeSpouse and her family are most appreciated. I'll be pretty scarce the next few days. :-(

Posted by: Scottynuke | April 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

FTB: The medication comes in a glass bottle labled "Macallan 18". About 3 fingers ought to do it.

Posted by: ebtnut | April 5, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Our deepest sympathies to all the Nuke family.

Posted by: ebtnut | April 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, please pass on my condolences to the Nukespouse and her family.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

S'nuke, my heartfelt condolences to Nukespouse, how sad.

kguy, that was brilliant! Lots of good (bad) phrases from others also!

Posted by: badsneakers | April 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, for some reason the home page of the Post is showing stories from 12-31-2009 even though it shows today's date.

Posted by: -pj- | April 5, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So sorry Scotty, please pass on my condolences to Nukespouse as well.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

free gift (that one always slays me!)

Scotty, so sorry to hear about your FIL. You and Nukespouse will be in my thoughts and prayers. Give her a hug from me!

Posted by: slyness | April 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

So sorry to hear that, Scotty. Condolences to Nukespouse, her family, and her spouse.

Posted by: Raysmom | April 5, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear. My sympathies to you and Nukespouse, Scotty.

Posted by: -pj- | April 5, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

My, I never expected my little list to draw a response. There there everyone . . . let it all out . . .

Also:
- sea change
- pro life/choice [how did these become solely associated with the abortion discussion? It annoys me that I can't be in favor of both life and choice in a general sense.]
- epic fail
- "The Orioles bullpen collapsed in late innings last night . . ."
- "May I see your license and registration please."
- If you see something, say something.
- Opportunities [when "problems" are meant]
- mainstream media
- Appending "-gate" to everything
- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Posted by: cowhand214 | April 5, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Awww, please add my condolences to NukeSpouse and her family from me, too, Scotty. That's so sad, and so sudden, which really makes it more difficult to process.

KC is now up 2-1, but it's still early yet. Now, where's are those medicaments?

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, you don't know me but for what they're worth I send good thoughts and some prayers to you and yours. My condolences on your loss.

Posted by: cowhand214 | April 5, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, deepest sympathies to Nukespouse and all the family.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

SCC -- take out "are" after "where's", so I can then be on my way.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, so sorry to hear that.

Posted by: -bia- | April 5, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

And condolences to the Nukespouse and Nuke families from here, too.

Thinking of Anacostia, when about to graduate from grad school, I interviewed for a job at the Smithsonian. At the time, they were working on a branch in Anacostia, a project that had caught my interviewer's enthusiasm. I at least knew where Anacostia was, but didn't get the job.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | April 5, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sorry, Scottynuke. Hugs and condolences to you, Nukespouse and the family.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to Nukespouse and Nukespawn (and you) for the loss of your FIL and patriarch.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

But "epic fail" has become part of our household jargon. It is so useful! Alas.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 5, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

dmd, what's wrong with the dookies? Part of it on the boodle is that there are a lot of UNC connections here, and the two schools (10 miles apart) are arch-rivals. UNC is the high quality state university that kids around the state grow up wanting to go to. Duke is the snooty private college where are the students are rich kids from New Jersey. Both schools have long proud basketball traditions. Carolina blue is way prettier than Duke blue. Duke typically has more white players than most college basketball teams, which especially in a southern school can raise some eyebrows. Coach K's eyes are too close together. If one were completely fair-minded, one might admire a basketball program at a small high-quality college that's able to build a winning tradition while maintaining a praiseworthy graduation rate. But Dook-hating is more fun.

Posted by: -bia- | April 5, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the NukeFamily.

HUGS!

Posted by: Moose13 | April 5, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hating Duke is kind of like hating the Yankees. It's always more fun to root for the underdog against the rich team that wins too much. But other teams that win a lot don't get the same animosity, so it's a bit of a mystery. Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

Posted by: -bia- | April 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks bia, I do have a relative that graduated from Duke, he would I guess fit the demographics except for coming from NJ.

I have never heard of Butler so that alone would cause me to cheer for them, love underdogs when I do not have a favorite to cheer for.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Bia... excellent analysis on the Tobacco Road rivalry, bu please don't give dook the benefit of an uppercase D.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry TBG. It won't happen again.

Posted by: -bia- | April 5, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

GO BUTLER!

Oh, splat! Tigers down 4-1 in the top of the 6th.

*there goes the season*

hahahahaha

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Terpies hate dookies. Forever and the sky will fall when that ends; I think the rivalry and insults predate the Hatfield-McCoy troubles of the Clinch Mountain hollows and dales.

And, I do not make excuses one bit for the Terpies who sport naughty shirts against dookies.

I think we can sneer and subdue them (dookies) in all the old fashioned ways....

And, to the NookieFam...I am so very, very, very sorry. Scotty, be the shoulder that I know you already are. Sigh. Another good one passing on into stardust.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 5, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

CasaJS sends condolences to ScottyNuke, NukeSpouse, and the family.

Posted by: MsJS | April 5, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Krzyzewski's eyes are too close together? Love it. Question: Is it worse that Krzyzewski's hair is a failed toupee or simply a naturally bad haircut?

Did you read John Feinstein's Saturday column that Mike Krzyzewski is morphing into Dean Smith? It's a hoot:

Posted by: -pj- | April 5, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I keep trying to get a decent punch line about Duke playing Butler. Best I can think up is the Duke players at halftime when they trail by a few points. One asks Coach K.... "They're Butlers, right? Can't we just fire them? Mummy and Daddy do that all the time."

Posted by: steveboyington | April 5, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh gosh Scottynuke. My condolences and please pass them on to everyone. A sad day.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout them Nats. Maybe they shoulda left that lanky lefty in for a few more innings.

Probably couldn't have hurt.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | April 5, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

So, um, in case anybody's interested, the Tigers are up 8-4 in the bottom of the 9th.

*yay*

I mean, I can't shout it out, 'cause that'll jinx 'em, right?

Posted by: -ftb- | April 5, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Snuke, my condolences to you and your family.

Posted by: --dr-- | April 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

My condolences and best wishes for your family, Snuke.

Posted by: -dbG- | April 5, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Tigers are up 8 to 4? That's a lot of scoring for a hockey game.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | April 5, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

You wanna know what it's like in my family? My father (1918), my husband (1973), my younger daughter (2008) all graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill. My husband's brother graduated from Duke. It can be ugly. Fortunately, my brother-in-law is a genuinely nice guy and knows how to keep his mouth shut. He's not from New Jersey, either. But we know when to be quiet around each other.

I loved the Feinstein article. Coach K's eyes are too close and he has a naturally bad haircut? HAHAHAHA

I'd have to look it up, but I believe it's eight miles between UNC and Duke. Fortunately, 15-501 is an awful road, so nobody goes from one to the other unless they must. I will say Duke's neo-Gothic campus is lovely, but it doesn't compare to the ancient and hallowed campus in Chapel Hill.

Posted by: slyness | April 5, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Duke Vitale, enough said "baby"

so sorry to here of your loss Scotty,be strong for your family as you always are.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | April 5, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Duke Vitale, baby... I like that, greenwithenvy (not to be confused with liking dook OR Dick Vitale). Hope you're still enjoying your days off.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain to me why the most important college basketball game of the year doesn't begin until 9:21 at night?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | April 5, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

It's madness

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mudge... the folks on the west coast would like to see the tip-off after they get home from work, I guess.

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

'cause it is being played in a different time zone?

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

so we one the left coast may watch it at 6:21 after dinner

Posted by: bh72 | April 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

on

Posted by: bh72 | April 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

maybe numerology has something to do

April 5th: 4 and 5
March: 2 and 1

Madness I say

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

If it was an Olympic event, it would be tape-delayed on the west coast so we could see it at 9:21 too. As it is, I won't be watching at all, but enjoy!

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

*glowing with virtue* I had to separate out some records for tax preparation stuff. This led to filing a bunch of stuff I had avoided filing. This led to going through the files and discarding almost as much paper that we don't need to keep any more (later this month: Old Records Bonfire). It also led to creating separate files for many property and personal documents, instead of mashing them all up in a few big generic files. I was so tired of never being able to find anything on short notice. Now, of course, I probably won't need any of it for a good long while. But, if I do, I know where it is!

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 5, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh gosh, Ivansmom. I hope you don't forget where you "put it away!"

Posted by: -TBG- | April 5, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, what happens when I do that is that I can't remember where I filed the dang things! I can find things in a pile - carefully filed away, they become invisible to me. But I really should go through some stuff to throw away - the credit union is having a destroy day Saturday.

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching a seriously fantastic show on History Channel, Ancient Weather. Tony Robinson hosts and narrates. Seriously fine TV.

It relates weather changes to human life, and shows how weather allowed and changed human life.

It is on this week on Canadian History Channel, but I can't find anything about air dates and times on History.com But keep your heads up. It will show up sooner or later.

Posted by: --dr-- | April 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I am watching "It might get loud" documentary with The Edge, Jimmy Page, Jack White, seriously cool.

Celebrating eldest's first concert tonight and anxiously waiting for her return later.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading the play by play

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

First concert - who she's seeing?

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Canadian band, Hedley, one of the bands that was at the closing of the Olympics. fun band.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Butler down by one at the half

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

My condolences Scotty.

Is this southeast part of DC near RFK (where it was or is)? I was there some time ago for a soccer match. It seemed somewhat off the moneyed paths. Interesting experience marching through the area being eyed by the locals (there were about 10000 of us heading for the next subway stop).

I can see dmd's point. I know here as well people tend to leave celebrities alone when they are doing everyday stuff like shopping or at worship, although the media seems to be slipping in that regard lately.

Posted by: qgaliana | April 5, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Canukistani Three Stooges plus Shemp

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

LoL! Ivansmom. I've spoken of my passion for categorization before (some call it borderline OCD, but not me! How do I know? I am not caused anxiety when people mess up my stuff -- indeed, it is a positive pleasure to restore order when they leave.).

It *is* a little weird that I feel a strong need to have baskets in my pantry labeled "Oils & Vinegars," "Other Liquid Condiments," and always have one deep kitchen drawer filled with uniform bottles and jars of dried herbs and spices, all labeled on their tops, so that I can put my eyes and hands on what I want, immediately.

I just like being organized.
Very, very organized.

Did I tell this story? A man who was interested in me came to my place last spring, and said, "You know how sometimes you go into someone's cluttered house and wonder 'how does this person live like this?' And then I come to your wildly bare and spare house, and wonder, 'how does she live like this?'!" Hee hee. So I'm a bit tidy.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry that came out all wrong and I don't know what I was thinking

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I can't take this anymore
the score flip flops more than a politician

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, omni. To be offended, or amused? I have no idea. But, Wow.

Posted by: Yoki | April 5, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Omni, I kinda liked the idea of being equated to the 3 Stooges plus Shemp.

So long as you don't forget Shemp.

I take it you meant basketball?

Posted by: --dr-- | April 5, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

It Might Get Loud is great. I love the part at the end where the 3 of them are picking out a song, and then The Edge realizes he's been telling them to play in the wrong key...or something. Can't remember the song now.

Finally found the quote from Obama about why they won't pick a church in DC:
(I swear this article was part of a WaPo article, but I can no longer find it.)
"While the Obamas regularly attend private church services at Camp David, President Obama says the family will remain without a church home because their attendance would be too distracting and intrusive.

“We’ve decided for now … not to join a single church. The reason is because Michelle and I have realized we are very disruptive to services,” Obama told NBC News last month. “Now, there are a whole bunch of churches who would say it’s OK, but [not] when every other member of the congregation has to be ‘magged’ every time you attend,” Obama said about the security screening process."

Also:
"In comparison to other presidents, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush never formally joined churches in Washington. Rather than go out into the city, Richard Nixon brought church to the White House with Sunday services in the East Room."

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seasea1 | April 5, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, be amused Yoki. I love the Three Stooges

Also, I had no idea who Hedley is, so I looked it up on Wiki. One of the band members was on the Canadian version of Idol. In my sleep deprived state I thought it said Canadian Idiot. I saw a picture of them and thought I saw Moe.

Curly, Moe, Larry, and Shemp

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Scotty,
My condolences to your family.

More rapidfire back boodling:

Duke making the championship game made me a good deal richer, but that is as far as my loyalty lies. My son's fraternity has a chapter in Durham, so he spends a lot of weekends there.

The Easter bunny missed me altogether. I guess he made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

I've spent the better part of the day looking down canyons at prehistoric cave dwellings and driving through a ferocious sandstorm. While going through the Navajo town of Teec Nos Pos, I noticed a fairly familiar NFL franchise logo. One usually associated with ethnic insensitivity. So I googled it and sure enough, the mascot of Red Mesa High School is the Redskins. Perhaps the No Fun League should sue them for trademark infringement.

My Wally World moment of the trip was that Four Corneers, where Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona meet was closed. Like fenced off.

I think I have only taken about 700 pictures so far. Fortunately, Cortez, CO has a Walmart where more storage cards can be bought.

If this windstorm makes Mesa Verde as intolerable as Canyon de Chelly was, we may ditch the itinerary and go hide it up in Telluride.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 5, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah, well, too bad. Helluva game, though.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | April 5, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

New link added at the bottom of the Kit. I think a YpuTube link to the pitch

Watch it but skip the vitriolic nonsensical blah blah blah idiotic comments

Even the Pro Obama comments are off their meds

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

SO much for my jest:

The Butler did it in the arena with a basketball!

Yeah, now we can hit the sack.

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

And here is something both offensive and incredibly stupid. What is this guy thinking?

"NCAA championship: Methodists vs. Christians

By David Waters

"Tonight's NCAA men's basketball championship pits the Methodists (a.k.a. the Duke Blue Devils) against the Christians (a.k.a. the Butler Bulldogs) -- a contest any Baptist would surely appreciate.

As a Methodist, I'm sort of rooting for Duke. As a Christian (a movement started by an underdog), I'm sort of rooting for Butler. As a journalist, I'm officially not rooting for either team."

I was sort of under the impression that Methodists WERE Christians. If this doesn't trivialize his religion, I can't imagine what does.

But I don't have a dog in this fight, so...

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | April 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: dmd3 | April 5, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

yello, you do realize you may have crossed time zones dontcha.

The Navajo Nation doesn't celebrate DST.

Posted by: omni3 | April 5, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Navajo Nation DOES recognize DST which puts it one hour ahead of the rest of Arizona which doesn't. This worked to my advantage yesterday when I checked into Monument Valley at 3 pm Arizona time but 4 pm Navajo time.

It took our phones a bit to catch up but they did. So now I have the time on my watch (EDT), the time in my rental car (MST and/or PDT) and the current time where I am (MDT). So it is either midnight or 10 pm depending on whether I want to listen to the clock or my circadian rhythm.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia, the original name of Butler was North Western Christian University and was affiliated with Church of Christ as was founder and noted abolitionist Ovid Butler. How the Baptists got dragged in I can't tell. Let me know when Furman or Gardner-Webb make the Final Four.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 6, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

my condolences, Scotty. i'll be keeping you, your wife and your extended family in my thoughts.

Posted by: -jack- | April 6, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all, hi Cassandra! I had a rather difficult time getting up, probably related to the hoeing I did last night, along with the bending over to pull weeds out of the periwinkle bed.

Yello, when Furman and Gardner-Webb become Division I, life will be much differnt for all of us. I don't know how, but it will be different. ;-) Glad to hear that you're having a good time in the southwest. Spring is probably the best time to be there.

I bought begonias, tomatoes, a pepper, basil, and parsley yesterday. I wasn't going to plant them till next week, but since it's supposed to be 90 here today and tomorrow, I may think about going ahead. After I go to Gastonia at lunchtime with Mr. T for a meeting, of course.

Such a shame about Butler.

Posted by: slyness | April 6, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

slyness... Mr T and Dr G would put it differently, don't you think?: "Such a shame about dook."

Posted by: -TBG- | April 6, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

scottynuke, my sincerest condolences to you and nukespouse.

Posted by: LALurker | April 6, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Just SCC half of everything I posted last night.

Posted by: omni3 | April 6, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I had a posted a comment in the early hours (i.e. your early hours) and it was there. I refresh a few minutes ago and it was gone. This is so strange.

Scotty, my condolences to you and Nukespouse.

Posted by: rainforest1 | April 6, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. I love the clip of Obama throwing out the first pitch. He was having such a good time! I also liked the Sox hat. It must be nice to have a few purely fun perks like that, in with all the major responsibilities of that job.

Wottan exciting basketball game, or so I'm told. Poor Butler, but I'm glad it was a good game.

Yello, I hope you can make Mesa Verde. Telluride is nice and stunningly beautiful and all, but the canyons are pretty amazing. I've been to the Cortez Wal-Mart many a time; before Durango got its BigBox stores, we had to drive to Cortez to get house supplies at discount prices. It was still closer than Farmington.

Mudge, "Christian" is not only the overall religious persuasion, it is an actual denomination name within the "Christian" pantheon.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 6, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Yello - You got a big shout-out from the Comics Curmudgeon today. If you in the Boodle don't check out the "other Mudge" regularly, you're missing a bet.

Posted by: ebtnut | April 6, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

LOL, TBG! You're right, of course.

Mr. T told me this morning that he heard on the radio Duke had won by 2. That's the level of interest he had in the game.

Posted by: slyness | April 6, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Garnder Webb is Division 1, playing in the Big South Conference. Winthrop was this year's cannon fodder in the Big Dance. Georgia Tech played them in football last year, providing much mirth and only minor divided loyalties in the yellojkt household.

Wake Forest was founded as a Baptist college, but is no longer formally associated with the convention. But it's no fun ridiculing their athletic prowess.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 6, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

SCC: GT played GWU October 10, 2008 to a 10-7 victory.

When I was a freshman at Tech, GT played Division 3 Furman and lost. I later visited a friend at Furman and was amazed at the amount of souvenir paraphernalia around.

My affiliation with the Comics Curmudgeon predates my being a boodler, so I was very confused to find our own curmudgeon here. It seems to a very popular moniker on the web. Josh is a real-life acquaintance since we are both Baltimorons. His wife once greeted me in Fells Point as 'yellojkt' and it took my wife to make the connection between my internet fame and the complete stranger greeting me.

Posted by: yellojkt | April 6, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

Spent a good part of yesterday hacking away at old files. It's amazing what one finds in old boxes or bottom drawers. I remember when we were told we'd be living in a paperless world by now. Instead, the stuff spreads like kudzu.

Posted by: MsJS | April 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Scotty's probably not around to verify, but I believe "Spreads Like Kudzu" is available as a boodle handle.

Posted by: Raysmom | April 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Gardner-Webb is Division 1? Who knew?

Five Baptist colleges in North Carolina: Chowan, Gardner-Webb, Wake Forest, Mars Hill, Campbell. I believe all five no longer receive funding from the NC Baptist Convention. This is a good thing, trust me. Wake Forest established a seminary when Southeastern Baptist Seminary (in Wake Forest at the old college campus) was taken over by the fundamentalists.

Posted by: slyness | April 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

You guys seen this yet? Just what the WaPo needs-- yet ANOTHER Conservative/Rightwing blog and pundit. They don't have enough already, they need to add another one:

"Right Now"
"Inside the Conservative movement and the Republican Party With David Weigel"

"Welcome to 'Right Now'

"It's nice to have a blog that doesn't disguise its ambitions. You want to know about the conservative movement? You want to know it promptly? Well, drag down your bookmark toolbar, add the xml to your RSS feed and stay awhile. [In a pig's eye, Dave.]

"But what do you want to know about the movement? There's more coverage of the right -- by activists, by journalists, by seething critics who can't believe that the party that lost Indiana to Barack Obama is on the verge of a comeback -- than there ever has been. Democrats, who've won their largest and most liberal congressional majorities since the 1960s, cede news cycle after news cycle to second-term members of Congress and half-term former governors. Tea Party activists, who used to mock the media for ignoring their rallies, have become sought-after, endlessly quoted political players."

Yeah, the Post certainly doesn't have enough coverage of these people, since they only have Krauthammer, Will, Gerson, Parker, Ponnaru, Appelbaum, Thiessen, Kristol, Samuelson, Hiatt, Huffman, and Kagan, plus any and all wandering wing nut who has assembled a one-shot opinion piece. I mean, who will ever ever know what's going in the minds of of the Right Wing, starved as we are for their opinions?

Um...where is the column/blog that tracks what's going on "in the left/midst the progressives"? Is there one that specifically targets centrists/the middle?

Joel, I gotta tell ya, this damn paper's opinion/editorial side (especially the online bunch) has really gone to the dogs ever since Marcus Broccoli rode into town, I don't care what Weingarten says.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Sad about Butler, but the good news is that they only lost by 2 points, and they can be very, very proud.

On a conference call (listening) right now. Gotta go. Cya later.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

*faxing hearts and cheese (because, why not?) to Mudge for his WUNNERFUL comments*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Not much to say on kit. But, the buds and scapes in the garden swell with delight and anticipation:

Solomon's seal (variegated, so the buds are cream, green, swirled with pink from the growth pigments of spring)

Celandine poppy blooms with furry buds in the wings, making for a month of bloom

Small dogwood blooms -- green-cream now -- will swell and whiten in the next three days

Judas tree -- Redbud -- magenta studded branches in that cerise that fits the name of either Cercis siliquastrum or Cercis canandianensis....WHERE ARE MY ITALICS?

If the new comment system comes online to WaPo comments, what may happen here? As I read the guidelines, long time boodlers might be deemed first tier commenters....and we do not need to change our handles?

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 6, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Op-Ed columnist:
Will work for visor and steaks
weekly (and kibble).

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

CqP, fear not.

/Cercis/ italicizes itself by its sheer sound.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 6, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, WB!

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 6, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Op-Ed Columnist:
Will fulminate, rant, rail, froth and foam at the mouth on demand in exchange for weekly Fox News talking head gig, unlimited "office supplies" from Congressional Liquors, and VIP status at faux lesbian sex clubs.

call RNC and ask for Mikey the Man of Steel

Posted by: kguy1 | April 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Before anyone even asks, no, it is not available as a Boodle handle. You know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, nice rant.

I long ago decided the world is obsessed with creating products, services and features that don't interest me.

I just put WaPo's latest move in that huge drawer of stuff, along with the iPad, Stephen King novels, and canned string beans. There's probably a doily or two in there as well.

Then I shut the drawer and forget about it for a while.

My cardio-vascular system is grateful.

Posted by: MsJS | April 6, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Not that this matters, but I have been trying to rhyme 'kudzu' with something. Wb and E-man might be able to do this, as will Mudge.

Nice imaginary boodle handles lately:

Manosteel
SpreadslikeKudzu

And, WB, what about Italicizeme? I think I want to switch.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | April 6, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Actually, CqP, I think "Rhymeswithkudzu" would make a remarkably good boodle handle.

The windows are open to receive, well, all the tree pollen that exists in the universe. My eyes are objecting, as are my nasal passages. TMI, you dare emphatically state? Yeah, well, Mother Nature has done me a dastardly deed by her opinion of renewal. Gimme that snow to spare my faculties.

*snorffle*

Posted by: -ftb- | April 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Nice pitch Mr. President...pathetic.

Posted by: teddymzuri | April 6, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The comments yesterday about the duke players all being rich boys from new jersey aren't quite correct.
Singler is from Medford Oregon from a long line of local athletes.
His great-great grandfather was the local sheriff that was killed in a wild west shootout near our house.

Posted by: bh72 | April 6, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Pronunciation question:
1. cood - zoo
2. cud - zoo

Posted by: engelmann | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

CqP, kudzu ends on an unstressed zoo sound, while zoo has a stressed sound.

So for a rhyme, am I right, you'd have to metrically exaggerate the penultimate stress in

"MAN, oh WHAT a CRUDE zoo,"
we sadly conCLUDE through
dully ballyHOOED news
full of flowering pall:
an all-devouring wall
made of tacky KUDzu.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Missed the Duke win, but I'll be enjoying it all the same (as in, not at all) having lost a wager about the final 4 and will have to pay for dinner for a friend.

Feeling a little groggy from allergies today and from seeing the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at the 9:30 club last night. At one point late in the show, I took a quick look at my cellphone (a friend was calling) as a song ended, and something caught my eye to make me look back up. As it turned out, what caught my eye was the drummer launching her sticks into the crowd.

Or more precisely, directly at my chest ("Hey, what a great view. They're coming right at me."). Almost caught one anyway, and picked it up off the floor and gave it to my buddy who had arranged the evening.

(A friend later pulled my leg asked if the drumstick was southern-fried. If they were, I might have invoked the 5-second rule and taken a bite.).

No bruise, no harm, no fowl.

Now, back to a busy day.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised, when I began singing for a pro ball team, just how big that field is when you're standing on it. Usually I'm by home plate, but once they put me out by the pitcher's mound. That's a long, long walk.

That one was a lot of fun - it included a tribute to the armed forces. The entertainment was by the mound, along with lots of service person and officer people, and they unrolled a huge flag as big as the outfield. The Boy was about 5 then, and they sent him out to stand with me, becuase they had a military jet flyover. I think nobody from the team wanted charge of him in case he got scared.

Posted by: Ivansmom | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

That "snorffle" sound that ftb mentioned can be heard at the 3:48 mark in this clip.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 6, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | April 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Some say paper, it spreads like the Kudzu
“A fast growing plant” but just who knew?
You see, here on the prairie
We see such things rarely
Now, thistles, we have up the hoo-hoo.

Posted by: engelmann | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow! And to think you were there, bh72 (just kidding, of course)!

Cool article.

Posted by: -ftb- | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Some say paper, it spreads like the Kudzu
“A fast growing plant” but just who knew?
You see, here on the prairie
We see such things rarely
Now, thistles, we have up the hoo-hoo.

Posted by: engelmann | April 6, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why, but I first read that as 'spreads like kuru'.

Maybe I should stop staying up late to dig up old horror movies on youtube.

Posted by: qgaliana | April 6, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: seasea1 | April 6, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that if you try pronouncing it coodzoo in the areas where the stuff is most rampant, they'll look at you funny and make disparaging remarks about damyankees. Most assuredly cudzoo.

Posted by: bobsewell | April 6, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Spring is officially here.

The condo landscape service just showed up with their lawn mowers.

A long time ago, I drove by a garden supply store displaying a sign reading,
"Spring is sprung