BP releases oil leak videos [Updated]

This afternoon, BP released the first videos of the major leak at the bottom of the gulf. I'll embed the video link as soon as we process it. There are two clips: One shows a black plume that variably mixes with a light-colored fluid that I assume is the gas or methane hydrates we've heard so much about. The other clip shows the large containment dome lowering onto the leak and quickly belching oil from vents in all sides of the dome. It's pretty dramatic.

[Update: Ian MacDonald, the FSU oceanographer whose own calculations, based on aerial imagery of the spill, show a spill more like 25,000 barrels of oil a day rather than 5,000 barrels that the Coast Guard came up with, told me, "That looks like a pretty substantial flow rate. I don't know how they get only 5,000 barrels a day out of that. That's really quite a gusher."]

[Update II: I talked to two more experts, Greg McCormack of U-Texas and Bruce Bullock of SMU, and both said there's no earthly way to estimate the flow based on these videos.

"Anybody who can tell you how much oil is coming out of that thing is likely lying to you," Bullock told me.

McCormack noted the gas that is emerging along with the oil and said that's potentially good news (though may also help explain why the blowout happened): "In this case I think it's good, because if this was an all-oil well, you'd have a lot more oil flowing into the environment. Gas getting into that atmosphere is not the greatest thing, but it's a lot better than getting oil into the environment."]

News organizations (particularly CNN) and environmental groups had protested BP's failure to show the imagery.

I asked BP's Doug Suttles why the video hadn't been released earlier. He suggested that BP technicians fighting the leak had been too busy to take the time to prepare it.

"This data is not easy to capture," Suttles said. "We actually have to assign some of our technicians to gather that data.'

Coast Guard Rear Adm. Mary Landry said the government has had access to the video in real time, but indicated that it was up to BP whether the video could be made public. "It's BP's video," she said.

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 12, 2010; 5:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Where's the video of the gulf oil leak? [Updated w/fotos]
Next: LeBron is LeGone

Comments

It certainly seems as though there are multiple cameras down there. What has BP learned from all that footage, Mr. A?

Posted by: MsJS | May 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I find the first part of that video frustrating to watch. That this is a mile below the surface isn't obvious, so it is tempting to envision just snorkeling on over with a sledge hammer, some oversized C-clamps, and a big ol' can of underwater epoxy.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 12, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Finally got my short story I've been thinking about for about twenty years off with a good intro. Wrote five pages in a wink. OK, the last page was only three lines. Oh yeah, and the pages were only 3.25 by 4.5 inches, subtracting the margins it's more like 3X4.

I'm excited and happy and giggling a little belly laugh for being happy and excited over such a little thing.

I've also decided to scrap my other attempt at a children's short cause I knew how to end it but not how to get there.

This is another story idea that has been bouncing around in my head. Since about the time 'Whale Rider' came out.

By scrap I really mean to think about it and try a different approach, not give up entirely. Maybe an outline.

Igoom had an outline in my head and worked out pretty well I think. Got two good reviews from adults so far. Still waiting for them to read it to some kids though. I wanna know what the intended audience thinks of it.

Other than that I've got nothing. I've been offline for two days or so. Goiing back under the covers so to speak.

For movie fans, I think 'Watchmen' sucks!

Posted by: omni3 | May 12, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Omni, sometimes knowing the end too soon does kind of get you stuck. Maybe the end should be the beginning?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 12, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

omni, that is great. Great! There is nothing like being fully engaged in some creative endeavour. No wonder you are flying.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, omni. Wonderful when that sense of completion arrives after the slog. The spark to the finish line holds that work no one sees. Love to hear news like that!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 12, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

fragile and mortal
life abides with hope, manon,
spring will come anon

Posted by: DNA_Girl | May 12, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

What Yoki said, omni.

Habs Habs Habs

I look at that video and wonder what's happened to all the other video that's been taken. What's it telling BP and who else has access to it?

I wonder whether deep water samples are being taken nearer to or in the prevailing deep currents to determine if the oil is migrating toward southern Florida.

I wonder when the Thai food I ordered will arrive cuz I'm HUNGRY.

Posted by: MsJS | May 12, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Wilbrod, I'm thinking I shall dedicate this to you if that works. Thanks.

Though I really dislike stories that tell the end and then the story this might be a way to work backwards, and then forwards again. or sumting

Now off to movie land

Funnily, the first title in the queue is a comedy called 'Whatever Works'

Posted by: omni3 | May 12, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

*breathing hard but shallowly -- or something* because at the end of the first period, the Habs are up by 2-0. I think if I watch it, I'll jinx it.

Ya know, much as I really like you MsJS, if the Habs and Blackhawks meet in the finals, I gotta go with the Habs. Really, honestly. No hard feelings, eh?

*pacing*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 12, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

*re-reading ftb's post and contemplating what a Philly-Canadian would sound like* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 12, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd be partial to a Blackhawks-Bruins final. Long time coming for both teams. Beating the Habs on the way would be fitting, though unlikely.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 12, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

HABS up 4-0 in Second. Great Game!

Posted by: -ftb- | May 12, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Steveb -- if Detroit can't have it this year, I want a Canadian team to get it, and the Habs, after all these hapless (habless?) years deserve to get the Cup. They are certainly working hard for it, and Rocket Richard would be ever so pleased.

And, yeah, I know, Chicago and Boston are two of the original 6 (Detroit's another one) and the Habs are original, too.

ALLEZ HABS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: -ftb- | May 12, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Now 4-2 Habs, and I can't be unhappy about that. This is what the final game of the series should be. Hard and competitive. 'Tis great hockey.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Pittsburgh doesn't seem to have gotten the message that they're getting whupped.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 12, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I want to see a picture of the robot subs.

Posted by: Bob_Dobbs | May 12, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Home in time to watch the 3rd period, saw the first Montreal goal before I had to go out. This is fun

Posted by: dmd3 | May 12, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

No way hoser...here come the Hawks, the mighty Blackhawks! eh? Hey Yoki, aren't you a West Coast Canadian?

Habs look really good.

Posted by: teddymzuri | May 12, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

ftb, you hear the buzz that the Coyotes may go back to Winnipeg? That would be sweet.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 12, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

The Coyotes should have ended up in Hamilton, but I will cease complaining should Winnipeg regain an NHL team, great fans there.

Must be fun in the Bell Centre in Montreal tonight,

Posted by: dmd3 | May 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I am overset.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Habs win 5-2 on foreign ice! Man, were they playing great!

This is so cool -- I still have a team to root for!

Posted by: -ftb- | May 12, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, steveb -- anything to get out of Arizona, eh?

Posted by: -ftb- | May 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Probably fun in a lot of places in Montreal tonight.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 12, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

No, sorry, teddymzuri, I am an prairie Canadian, when I'm not in the foothills or Mounains. But I am a true-blue Montrealer though I live in Calgary, and have lived here off and off since 1996.

And that was possibly the best final game in series. Ever. I am still in tears for my boys. Proud happy tears.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

omni is right. The movie of 'Watchmen' sucks. I'm still very fond of the graphic novel.

Posted by: ScienceTim | May 12, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

It's all high pressure, low temps, and robots. This is not an easy problem.

Posted by: Nymous | May 12, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Me too, ScienceTim.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the estimate of 25,000 bbl a day is closer to the mark. The estimate of 5,000 bbl a day works out to 2.4 gallons a second, which amounts to a small fire hydrant.

Looking at the amount of oil billowing up against that 4-story high dome, it's pretty obvious there's more than two-and-a-half gallons coming up per second. Everyone knows what a gallon can looks like. And we know what a four-story structure looks like. The video shows a heck of lot more than 2.4 gallons coming out per second.

Posted by: bluicebank | May 12, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

What team is "Habs" a nickname for? I didn't think my NHL knowledge was that bad... (and yes, I should be watching hockey to find out.)

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 12, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Great little website about how your income really stacks up:

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 12, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Habs is short for one of the nicknames of the Montreal Canadiens, Les Habitants. I kind of like Les Glorieux. A Brador would be nice.

Posted by: -jack- | May 12, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Les Canadiens de Montreal. Notice their jerseys? With the big
CH? *Canadian Peasants.* Habs. LOL! Not so much right now. Aristocracy tonight.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

'Whatever Works' is way funny. David Larry does a better Woody Allen than Woody does hisself. And Evan Rachel Wood is the perfect ingenue.

Both my thumbs up.

Posted by: omni3 | May 12, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Let me pour you one, jack. Welcome to la quebec.

Posted by: Yoki | May 12, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

the club motto:

Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.

kudos to the Canadiens' wiki

Posted by: -jack- | May 13, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Or,

Our bras are falling as we lean toward a flame and we hope you hold them up.

But that's just me.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

why thank you, yoki. the sports ledes have the fans dancing in the streets. with that, a rather distracting visual, but a good take on DITS, ca. 1970. watch it with your eyes closed. and dance to the music.

Posted by: -jack- | May 13, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

roftl.

Posted by: -jack- | May 13, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm doing a Happy Dance.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Am off too bed this time for real. under the covers two sleep and snore, wake me when the score is...two nil

Posted by: omni3 | May 13, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

They know how big the pipe is, and the video shows how fast the stuff is coming out of the pipe, so why is it so impossible to calculate (roughly) the flow? I wish someone would use a little rigor to give us a real number. If you tell us how big the pipe is, I'll figure it for you.

Posted by: pundito | May 13, 2010 3:08 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. It was a very good game. I had the Habs lose in 6 against Warshington in the office pool. I'm one of little faith.

BP probably has a very good estimate of the flow, their plan is to capture the leaking oil before attempting to stop the release after all. To design this capture system they must have a pretty good idea what they have to deal with.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | May 13, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Front Page Alert, doncha know...

*oddly-short-of-words-this-morning Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

*waving back at Grover*

That front page prominence seems strangely repellent to under-the-bridge dwellers. Go figure.

Hope all ailing boodlers are feeling better and that the hockey fans rejoiced without undue consequences.

One more gray and murky morning here, with hopes for sun and gardening later.

OJ,
Earl Grey and
hot coffee for all.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Fishermen in Louisiana have also asked why boom was not used to encircle an area around the Deepwater Horizon soon after the explosion as a precaution against a spill. Instead, by the time BP began to deploy boom it could be used only to defend a relatively small coastal area.
In spite of the damning revelations, there is no indication that the oil spill has changed either the Obama administration’s policy toward offshore oil drilling or the industry’s practices. There are currently scores of offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico whose oil extraction is “regulated” by the MMS, and there are a handful that operate in waters deeper than the Deepwater Horizon.
All of these rigs are relying on blowout preventers that have not been tested by an impartial body. None of the rigs are required to operate with sound-activated trigger mechanisms for blowout preventers, as is required in Norway and Brazil. Like BP’s Deepwater Horizon, a large share have not been required to submit environmental impact studies and have based their oil spill contingency plans on best-case-scenario predictions.
Even since the Deepwater Horizon explosion the Obama administration continues to grant “categorical exclusions” to free up oil concerns from environmental impact studies—27 times in all.
MMS has “learned absolutely nothing from this national catastrophe,” said Kierán Suckling of the Center for Biological Diversity. “(It) is still illegally exempting dangerous offshore drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico from all environmental review. It is outrageous and unacceptable... It is inconceivable that MMS could look out its window at what is likely the worst oil spill in American history, then rubber stamp new BP drilling permits based on BP’s patently false statements that an oil spill cannot occur and would not be dangerous if it did.”

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

The Obama administration’s decision to leave BP in control of its Deepwater Horizon spill site and in charge of cleanup efforts has seriously compounded the original disaster, testimony from workers, experts, and recent press accounts reveal.

Since the April 20 explosion that killed 11 workers 42 miles off the coast of Louisiana, BP has commanded all cleanup efforts and exercised total control over the spill site, blocking critical information from the public. The Obama administration, which exempted BP from producing environmental impact studies and oil spill contingency plans for its Gulf drilling operations, has no organized approach for addressing the spill, which is growing at a conservatively-estimated rate of 220,000 gallons per day.

Leaving BP to monitor its own cleanup activities is in keeping with Washington’s steady deregulation of industry and finance in the US over the past three decades. The same “free market” nostrums that led to the Deepwater Horizon disaster are now providing the operating principle behind the cleanup. This approach has greatly exacerbated the disaster.

The spill has continued to spread on the surface, but the damage below may be more severe. Four-inch diameter tar balls have reached the shores of eastern Alabama, just miles from the Florida border. Six dead dolphins were found washed ashore in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, and more dead turtles, fish, and soiled birds have been found.

Because of BP’s “proprietary” control of the drilling site 40 miles off Louisiana’s coast, it is impossible to even estimate the size of the spill. BP refused to make available underwater footage of the oil spill as the heavy crude spewed out near the ocean floor, according to ABC News.
BP has around-the-clock footage of the ruptured piping, film that could prove critical “in making independent assessments of the scope of the spill,” Eric Smith, a professor at the Energy Institute of Tulane University told ABC. But the video footage might well reveal that far more is being spilled than the official estimate of 5,000 barrels per day, a fact which “could do public relations damage to BP,” ABC concludes. Finally on Wednesday afternoon, BP released brief video footage of one of the leaks on You Tube.

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

You were saying, talitha? *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Knocked wood,
didn't work. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps a sharp bite of the tongue was in order.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Just heard an interesting conjecture --

Could Frazz really be a grownup Calvin? With Mallett being a pseudonym for Watterson?

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

corebanks1940, that's a pretty big brush you're painting with there. And unless you are Tom Eley, that's not your brush, and you're plagarizing. A big no-no. Real big. Banish to the outskirts of the internet big.

Got any thoughts of your own?

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Calvin wearing a jangle of keys and wielding a mop? Hmmmmm.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Good morninckzz les Boodleours!

I had trouble logging into the WaPo. The thing would tell me to activate my already active cookies and would not let read nuttin.

GRRRR. :(

No problrm today. :)

Posted by: Braguine | May 13, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey Boodles (somebody I love named D called us that recently),

Can we discuss the insanity or local opportunity that the hair donation boom craze is?

People donate hair to

Trying to see if this is reasonable, thought I would think that Perdue and Butterball would be better sources of absorbent material.

Weigh in; children at CPBOy's school are starting a campaign....like Locks of Love but for the Gulf.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | May 13, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

CQP, I had read Paul Farhi's article on that campaign last week. On Sunday, my mother said she'd heard of it and wondered 'would that work?' She's darned savvy environmentally and knew I was tuned into Mr. A and the boodle. We decided it was a case of folks wanting to do "something" in the face of the helplessness and dismay they feel. She's 81 and lives on the Gulf Coast, an avid birder and coastal boater. And livid!

The logistics of it are laughable to me, so call me a cynic.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Got any thoughts of your own?
Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Even since the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon less than three weeks ago, the Interior Department’s Minerals Management Services (MMS) has continued to grant “categorical exclusions” to oil and gas companies, allowing them to bypass environmental studies.
The administration has publicly announced that no new offshore drilling grants will be issued until a review, to be completed by the end of the month. Nevertheless, at least 27 exemptions have been granted, including one for a BP exploration plan for drilling at more than 4,000 feet. Another exemption was granted to Anadarko Petroleum Corporation for an exploration plan at more than 9,000 feet. The Deepwater Horizon was drilling at about 5,000 feet.
“The same problems we saw under the Bush administration are continuing under Obama,” Suckling said. “The change in political parties has done very little in terms of corporate domination of the political system. Who got to vote on turning over our natural resources to private corporations? The whole system is corrupt from the bottom up.”
The Obama administration’s announcement earlier this year that he would expand offshore oil drilling was a clear sop for the oil industry, as was his earlier decision to appoint Salazar as Interior Secretary. Suckling noted that as a Senator for Colorado Salazar supported the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006, which expanded drilling. Salazar received money from BP, and when he became Interior Secretary he brought several BP officials on his staff.
These latest revelations come as the haphazard and experimental attempts by BP and the government to stop oil from flowing into the Gulf have failed.
5/13/2010 8:30:21 AM

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, *EYE* think that Habs stands for ....

HABANEROS

because they're HOT!

Yoki, loved your interpretation of the, um, French. Almost snorted my tea out my nose.

CQP, I'm currently growing my hair for Locks of Love (or similar) in tribute to friends who have gone through chemotherapy for breast cancer, and one will be halfway through hers one week from today. Then I'll get it cut (a little longer than shoulder level, methinks) and grow it again.

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

corebanks1940....I'm confused. Now you're Joe Kishore? Even my youngest, a very Dear Child of tender years, knows it's wrong to steal. Plagarizing is stealing.

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

ftb, you are a good person to do that with your hair. The Geekdottir has donated hers twice, a thick ponytail of about 12 inches each time. Me, the hair's short and always will be. I don't have the patience to deal with it long, it's too dang curly.

Morning, all. I'm waiting for my friend to pick me up to drive to Hotlanta for the Princess Di exhibit. I'll take pictures if I can. Yello, I'd visit your offspring, but aren't classes done at the North Avenue Trade School?

This waiting for BP to control the spill is excruciating. God bless the folks who are working so hard to solve the puzzle and having so much trouble with it.

Posted by: slyness | May 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

as long as you get the message...thats the only way ...you will get it..u won't see it at wap

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

The similarity between Frazz and Calvin has been noted many, many times, most recently in the comments of one of my blog entries (http://livebythefoma.blogspot.com/2010/03/ncccc-2010-round-1-calvin-clones.html) and may even be addressed in Weingarten's foreword to the first Frazz collection.

More troubling to me is why a young independently wealthy guy (Frazz is a rich songwriter) is taking a job as an elementary school custodian so he can spend an inordinate amount of time hanging around kids. Creepy.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Good morning y'all. Thanks for the video, Joel. Thanks to your Kits and links and the Boodle I was able to give Ivansdad quite a bit of information about the Gulf Oil Disaster yesterday.

No trolls so far, just passionate if somewhat single-minded comment.

corebanks1940, you are missing LostinThought's point, which is shared by me and I daresay others here. While I respect your desire to get your message out, if you do so by quoting others without attribution in a public, published forum (like this one) you are plagiarizing. We don't approve of that hereabouts.

You think BP can't be trusted. You're upset with the administration's actions since the spill, on this rig and in general dealing with offshore drilling. Okay. If other people have put your frustrations into words you like, and you want to share those words, reference the original authors in some way. Otherwise you're stealing, and I have no reason to trust you any more than you trust BP.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 13, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

now ask me if i care

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Not only do you counter a charge of plagarism with more plagarism, in your own mind you're able to justify it. Republican? Tea Party? No matter. Clearly, you're unable to come up with an opinion on your own.

Even if your thoughts were so far out in right field they weren't in the stadium anymore, you'd find respect and thoughtful discussion here. Those who can only regurgitate the thoughts of others often find themselves with footprints across their chests. Good luck with that.

I hope those around you know you're a thief, and don't leave anything of value out when you're around, or lend you anything of any import.

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

blah blah blah blah

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

slyness, Hotlanta and the North Avenue Trade School. How about the Varsity? Take me back to Bankhead, Virginia Avenue and Emory. And every Peachtree roadway or Ponce de Leon Avenue.
Was I ever that young?

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

thats a thought...I can put it on video u tube...will that be ok

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

corebanks1940, I figured the depths of your thoughts were on a par with a baby pool. But thanks for confirming. Here, you can have this drool towel. (I'd lend it to you, but....)

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Buckhead.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

truth hurts....now cry me a river

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Doilies for corebanks? We can make use of the surplus.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Time to make the doughnuts. It's no fun having a battle of the wits with the unarmed. Either that, or someone stayed home from school sick today. (Corebanks1940, you really ought to be spending this time studying for your arithmetic test. And I really do hope you're just a child, because it's scary to think of adults with your intellectual prowess voting.)

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

wsws.org

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that "Kierán Suckling" may not have been the easiest name to grow up with.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Besides, corebanks, I happen to be an attorney (there are several attorneys here), who practices, among other things, copyright law. You appear to be a serial infringer, and intentionally so. A deliberate copyright infringer has already been kicked off this blog, and you may be next in line.

And this is the last bit of attention I'm gonna give to you, and the others around here will ignore you, too, because it isn't the substance of what you want to say (and, obviously said much better by others -- otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to steal their material) that's important here. By your little boy/girl remarks to our comments about plagiarizing, it is clear that all you want is attention. After this post -- nope, not gonna get it. Go to another playground, little one.

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

blah blah blah blah

Posted by: corebanks1940 | May 13, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Talitha, you want me to bring you a hot dog and onion rings from the Varsity? I can do that!

Posted by: slyness | May 13, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

slyness, one dog with chili, one with mustard. Do they still have the TV rooms with the student sidearm writing desks?
And the carhops? This makes me weep. We used to drive to 'lanta, go to the Varsity and then catch a movie at the Fox, primo theater complete with organ rising from the orchestra pit! Do say Hey to the High for me!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

corebanks, you're a protege and devotee of Noel Coward, aren't you? I could tell. I think maybe it was the dry wit that gave you away.

'Morning, Boodles.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

*emerging from under a pile of work to say hi*

Posted by: Raysmom | May 13, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Geez, here's the attribution
Article by Joe Kishore

And it's spelled "plagiarism." Which I would rather say is "mildly annoying obscurant lack of attribution." (although technically plagiarism) I agree the administration should get on the ball. However, it also seems NOAA is operating at least one of the ROVs and so we do indeed have a presence, at least, at the scene, not to mention at surface of sea.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 13, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Corebanks, your effectiveness in advocacy of Eley's piece on the World Socialist website is nothing short of astonishing -- truly immeasurable.

Your should you ever join the World Socialist party at their main offices, I'm sure you'll be given sweeping duties.

Enjoy your cry.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and congrats Habs fans.

I'm reminded of the Baltimore Ravens' Super Bowl run a decade ago - wear the other teams out with smothering defense.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 13, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Sorry LIT, you know I love ya.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I just spoke with a dear, sweet socialist friend in Norway, whom I've known for more than 30 years now. He's a professor and an attorney and writes "fantastic literature" and is an all-around Renaissance Man. We were having a chat on relative health care in Norway and the US. I told him I'm waiting until Medicare to have my knee replacement -- and why -- and he cracked up. Should go over there, I expect. I know the salmon and herring will be top notch.

He also told me that the current problem politically in Norway is what to do with all the money they've got. I asked him in which line I should stand.

I remember the Ravens' SB run -- that was exciting.

*hockey* *hockey* *hockey* *hockey*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Oh I wish I were a little striped skunk
Oh I wish I were a little striped skunk
Oh I'd sit beneath the trees and perfume all the breeze
Oh I wish I were a little striped skunk"

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

yellojktjr returns to Hotlanta (or the ATL as the kids are calling it nowadays) on Saturday. I gave him the choice of finding a job or going back for summer term. He would not have survived another summer on my sofa. I would've killed him.

As it is, hotswapping the house computer is tedious enough. He goes to bed when he hears me get up to make breakfast. The mouse is still warm when I check my e-mail.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. I just can't watch the video of all that oil. It makes my skin crawl, and I just keep thinking about the animal life in the ocean and the people that live in that area. It is a nightmare. We need human intervention, but even more praying, folks.

I'll bet if each one of us would just take a few minutes and ask God's help, I believe God would do it. I just do. God loves corporate prayers, He really does.

My tomatoes are still perky. I just love it. And I have a flower with very tiny magenta(?)blossoms, and it is so beautiful.

Slyness, we're back to hot weather. The sky is clear today, and it's going to be hot. Good for the plants.

Welcome Corebanks to the Boodle! I see you're still try to find your niche. We love having new people, just want them to enjoy the company as much as we enjoy each other's company.

Have a fantastic day, folks, and love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

ATL, yello? Lawsy, I'm old.
Bob-S, when you were a yellerjkt did you ever hear of/dine at Aunt Fanny's Cabin?

Off to the loomtomb . . .

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm not one to pray, but I will on this day.

Julian of Norwich

Whatever we inherit from the fortunate
We have taken from the defeated
What they had to leave us—a symbol:
A symbol perfected in death.
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
By the purification of the motive
In the ground of our beseeching.

-T.S.Eliot (from 'Little Gidding')

Posted by: omni3 | May 13, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

many thanks, omni

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I've been to Pittypat's Porch, which is probably not the same thing.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

Go Habs! I'd prefer they play da Broons in the Eastern Conference final, but I'm ok with Philly too.

The "top hat" was lowered last night. A "riser insertion tube" is en route and should arrive tonight.

Work continues to plug up the blow-out preventer. Multiple steps that will take several days.

It's graduation season. I've got lots of money origami ahead. Roses, hearts, and frisbees mostly.

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Aunt Fanny's was up the road in Smyrna. Talitha, I remember my folks telling another couple (who had suggested dining there) that they had no particular interest in eating somewhere that made a theme out of times better remembered in shame. Seemed about right to me, so I never went there.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Well, it's snowing hard here as the puffed up birds perch on snow laden flowering trees. I'm off today and tomorrow (yay!) gathering family to attend my youngest son's graduation from college. We hoped to do some sightseeing but right now I can't see anything but snow. Weird and NOT wonderful.

Joel, your coverage of the gulf oil catastrophe along with contributions to other articles has been great. We are witnessing possibly the beginning of the second great depression, with the oil calamity the last straw. I pray daily Cassandra that collectively we will find a solution before irreparable harm sets in.

Off to feed the birdies...my little way of helping.

Posted by: Windy3 | May 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Yellojkt, "rich songwriter" is an oxymoron. He's probably a janitor for the steady check while the royalties trickle in and out-- but more to hang around his now-girlfriend.

Note them eating lunch together at work. http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/dyn/str_strip/315486.full.gif

And sharing some wisdom on child psychology.

I could cite more....

I could see Frazz as a fusion Calvin-Hobbes, true.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The dating clincher:

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

But Fraz looks -- and sounds -- like Hobbes, not Calvin!

Posted by: nellie4 | May 13, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Another one:

It's just the humor lies elsewhere.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Nellie, I agree... or Calvin grown up to be way too like his dad (if you remember, he was this patent attorney/ cycling geek), and fully imbued with the wisdom of Hobbes in dealing with young children.

Considering that Calvin seemed headed to jail by 18, I guess there's hope for all fictional parents of rambunctious, imaginative boys.

Yay, janitor-songwriter-triathloner.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Guess Who was in the neighborhood last night (OK, about 10 miles away)?

And I quote:
“We do have to drill. We cannot stall. We do need oil.”

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh rats, Wilbrod, now I will spend the day reading "Calvin and Hobbes!"

Posted by: nellie4 | May 13, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, while the style is similar, the drawing isn't the same.

If you look at the drawing for Trizophenia, it's very clear that this is not Watterson's hand.

The children are also drawn differently in Frazz.

But take a look at those two pictures and decide for yourself:

For those who wish to argue they're still the same person, I point you to the evidence of the ear lobes being shaped differently. That shape is not something that's apt to change with age.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Bob-S, the original Aunt Fannie's was either on Peachtree or an adjacent north/south main drag. But you're right, it moved up to Smyrna in the early 70s.

As for shame, there was always plenty to go around. Fortunately, I witnessed MLK's transformative influence in Atlanta and throughout the South and grew. Just waxing nostalgic, apologies.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

You're all very welcome for the comic cootie, BTW... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Awww, I was greatly overstating the intensity of the feelings. I was aware of the place, just didn't eat there. Plenty of good Southern cookin' places nearer my neck of woods on the Decatur side of town.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And in Milwaukee, there is mounting evidence that the local archbishop is influencing Marquette Univ. affairs.

This despite the fact that the school has its own charter and board of trustees that are independent of the archdiocese.

Plans are being made to stage a protest during commencement.

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Winnie Cooper's appearing in Maxim??? What??!??!??!

Oh, she's promoting math, well then... :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Some Aunt Fanny's links:

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Jupiter's losing stripes.

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

hearts, Bob-S

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a papal initiative during the past decade making Catholic-affiliated universities subject to the local bishop? I recall concern over academic freedom.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | May 13, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, I'm forwarding this whole darned kit to my son, the Calvin/Hobbes maniac, and he can blame the cooties on you! Yuk, yuk!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Correctamundo, DotC.

Item #11 in the intro sum it up nicely.

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Popping in for a sec....

Thanks and no problem ftb. It's a tough call if it's a mental block on that one word, or if I'm just way all over the map today (as if today is somehow different from every other day). I've got my very own Spelling Rainman, but she's at school. But I'll try to remember.

Have a very happy day all. If the grey sky's got you down, fake it til you make it.

Popping back out.

Posted by: LostInThought | May 13, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I see that a Venezuelan natural gas offshore rig sank. However, they're apparently going to great lengths to assure Venezuelans that this is nothing like the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if this means that the rig wasn't operational, or if they managed to shut it down first.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 13, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

MsJs, I feel for Jupiter.

Having lost that belt, I think he's proabaly a candidate for suspenders.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Impressive search job, MsJS.

At the other end of the Christian spectrum (organizationally, at least), Kenneth Starr's move to become president of Baylor University brought Baylor's growing pains as it moves toward becoming a research university. (They've had a medical school in Houston for a long time, of course.)

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | May 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Joel's new piece is up:

Calculating rate of leak in gulf oil spill proves a difficult task

By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 13, 2010; 12:47 PM

"The world has finally seen directly the turbulent plume of oil, gas and water billowing from a sliced steel pipe on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. But new video clips, released by BP Wednesday afternoon, haven't clarified one of the central unknowns in this crisis: Exactly how much oil is leaking into the gulf?

"It's clearly a lot -- anyone can see that. But experts say that, without a meter, it's impossible to estimate the flow, particularly since it's a mixture of oil, gas and water."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it's easy enough to calculate the flow from the leak. Just measure the increased sea level, subtract all other sources, and account for the seafloor subsidence as a result of the evacuation of the underground liquid. Nothing to it.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Which contains this quote from oceanographer Ian MacDonald of Florida State University: "Any military person knows that good casualty reports are the key to victory," MacDonald said."

Nothing Joel or anyone else can do about this quote, of course, because that's what MacDonald said. It just happens to be one of the most ridiculously stupid, uninformed, wrong-headed, ignorant analogies uttered about warfare in the last couple of hundred years. It's dumber, even, than Custer telling the 7th Cavalry, "They look like friendly Indians to me, fellas."

I mean, really, I am flabbergasted how dumb this is. I just pray MacDonald is a better oceanographer than he is a tactician or a creator of completely wrong-headed metaphors. Because, after all, the key to good oceanography is shooting the wounded. Or something.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

*holding Mudge down before he goes soaring into space in the direction of the ISS (or, well, take your pick) all on his own and under his own power*

In total agreement, Mudgekins. Good casualty reports, as opposed to fake ones? If there aren't enough casualties, do ya hafta go out and kill some more to make the numbers line up? I mean, will civilians do? They're just wandering around, not doing anything anyway. . . . .

*muttering expletives while shaking one's head*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall Sherman fighting a lot of pitched battles and toting up casualties on his way to the sea, but he done OK. Likewise Patton on his way to Berlin.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall Sherman ever fighting with Mr. Peabody at all, Bob. *confused look*

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, first off, you don't even GET good casualty reports for hours or even days after the d@mn battle is over. Second, no commander pays any attention to casualty reports during a battle. Knowing you've got 104 dead and 212 wounded doesn't tell you a damn thing about anything. The Chinese in Korea, famously, threw thousands of troops into battle with no regard whatsoever for losses. They couldn't care less. Ditto the Japanese in many cases. The 300 Spartans at Thermopylae went in knowing the score was gonna be Persions: 300, Spartans Zeeeeeerow. Remember Henry V at Agincourt? Utterly clueless about his losses.

I don't even want to talk about Vietnam.

The key to victory. Jayziseses.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

*muttering mudgily, she wanders away
calculating random quantities of oil spilt times hours wasted*

*wondering how great-greats survived while Sherman's renegades camped across the road and fired cannonballs through the frontdoor of the family homestead*

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

*faxing hearts to mudge, just because*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Hi all, busy busy, trying to keep up.

If MacDonald was trying for a military metaphor, a better one may have been to substitute "a proper threat assessment" instead of the casualty report comment.

I actually thought this was the dumber quote:

"I shouldn't be trying to estimate these flow rates in the media; we should be trying to do this in scientific papers," he said.

Yes, we look forward to reading all about the flow rate in the Spring 2011 edition of the Journal of Things Too Late to be Useful.

Posted by: engelmann | May 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

talitha, you and Bob (Scotty not so much) must be referring to Sherman's March to the Sea, or as we used to call it in Philly, "That time Sherm and them went donnashore."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Right behind ya on that one, too, E-mann. I thought that was almost as dumb. By all means, let's wait until his guesstimate is properly peer-reviewed.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought her name was Dinah Shore, Mudge.

Oh, wait ..........

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, "While We Were Marching Through Georgia" is a tune (even without lyrics) that wasn't even hummed when I was a young'un. You just made me laugh out loud at the parochialism of that, but it's the truth!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The teaser quote for Mr. A’s article reads, “New video of plume clearly shows large leak, but experts say calculating flow is nearly impossible.”

Yet the Woods Hole oceanographers quoted in the article indicate just the opposite.

Another over hyped, eyeball-grabbing, teaser. *sigh*

As for the article itself, Dr. MacDonald does have some –interesting- ways with words, yesindeedeedo.

My personal fave, however, goes to BP spokesman Andrew Gowers.
"It's light crude that when it reaches the surface of the water, it's more like iced tea."

Watch the F&S video from the other day and decide for yourself if this looks like iced tea.

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Gnomish manicurists
should stick to clipping hedges
Not dogs' toe edges.

-Wilbrodogrrrrrrrrrr-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Gnome manicurists.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The Gnome is trimming more than one dog's toe edges, Wilbrodog?

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, MsJS. That iced tea simile stuck out sore-thumbishly to me as well. A little slow on the uptick here, but when I read that I wondered if it was "sweet or non, hon?"

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I haven't understood that "iced tea" reference since I first heard it earlier in the week. Iced tea has the consistency of water. If you pumped a few million gallons of it into the sea bottom each day, you probably wouldn't ever be able to find it again. Are we to believe that the oil is indistinguishable from water?

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I recently made the mistake of ordering "sweetened ice tea" at a fast food restaurant (near NY/PA border). In momentary confusion couldn't remember which one I liked. One sip reminded me, what I was given was iced sugar that was "teaed". I was not expecting homemade but yuck - that tea I am sure you would see in the Gulf, no way that amount of sugar could dissolve.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I know, Bob. That's the third or fourth "ice tea" reference I've seen, too. It's just desperation spin. (And pretty pathetic, at that.) Next they'll be telling us it adds antioxidants to the seawayer and increases life expectancy, especially the green tea kind of brown sludge. Kind of a "Constant Comment" oil spill.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just a lemon wedge in mine, talitha. Thank yew!

BobS, maybe you're on to something. Maybe everyone's got his/her drawers all knotted up for naught.

Relax, y'all! It's just iced tea!

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

One dog too many,
Miz J.S.: me, yours truly,
now the walking maimed.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

dmd,
Try ordering iced tea at a Wendy's drive through in Valdosta, Georgia and forgetting that not all Wendy's only serve unsweetened tea. When I got back on I-75 and took a sip, I nearly went into a insulin shock coma.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

dmd - LOL! I will have to concede that some "sweet tea" is sweetened pretty aggressively. When I make it, it's more of a "just enough to cut the bitterness of the very strong tea I brew" kind of thing.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Isn't oil called Texas tea to start with? Where's the ice from?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Jupiter lost its belt.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

in the immortal words of Lowell George
"You people are crazy"

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 13, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

*spluttering my honeyed chamomile*

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

yello, it's been suggested ol' Jupe switch to suspenders. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: MsJS | May 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

BP technical briefing:

Been in a room with failure analysis experts most of the day. THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT and DISCUSSING.

My brain is dead; but, perhaps someone here will want to look at this. One hour: BP tech people who are saying what they can.

Off in search of relief....may need to rummage around for the Garrison Keillor joke CD.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | May 13, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, I was just sitting here, contemplating our miserable weather right now, after such a beautiful April, May so far has been a disappointment, cool and rainy right now and then that jogged my memory to this song, and I felt the need to share - cause this I should not have coursing through my brain by myself.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 13, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Just as long as we don't start seeing large rectangular black spots on the surface of Jupiter.

Hmm. That was the movie "2010" where that happened.

Posted by: rashomon | May 13, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to alarm you rashomon, but we recently got a large black refrigerator that reminds me of the 2001 obelisk. Except ours has a better ice maker.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 13, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Oops I meant the Monolith. And obelisk is, like, all pointy on top. Which would make an odd refrigerator.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 13, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

*pulling 'Mudge over to the corner of the Bunker*

*whisper mumble* stars... *whisper* glow-in-the-dark... *pointing* RD... *whisper* fridge... *hehehehehehehe* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 13, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

*snicker, chortle, whisper, mumble* galaxies *whisper* Andromeda *snicker, snort*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

RD, opening your fridge must be a real trip.

"Oh my God, it's full of stars! And Sunny D!"

Aside from the suspenders remark, I also remember the Hexagon on Sauturn's pole...

Those gas giants are really really interesting. Except for Rush Limbaugh.

bv

Posted by: -bc- | May 13, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

You've got *snickers* Mudge?

Aw, man!

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

who the heck is bv?

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 13, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

*faxing a Snickers to my favorite Judeo-Swedish lawyer, Elke-Gunilla Grossman Raymondburrqvist*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I just watched/listened to that BP briefing linked by C-Parkian above. Good stuff, I found myself with little doubt that BP has some pretty sharp folks working as hard as they can on this.

Why didn't anybody mention that Joel got a question in there on that briefing? Or was that already mentioned?

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

*snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 13, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Or am I the first person who stayed awake for the whole thing? Joel's question is toward the end.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Dave stepped inside a
hindu temple and..."My Stars,
it's full of Gods!" *snort

Posted by: DNA_Girl | May 13, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Bob -- minute 50:30 for Joel "Aschenbashchusess" question.

I meant to say this but was so tired from the day. Thanks, B, for pointing out the very presence by phone of the boss....make that Boss.

Two concepts to help us with the entire situation are:

"black swan" events (things that are possible but so unlikely as to mess with the heads of the risk analysis peeps and those who take their direction)

AND
déformation professionnelle (the myopia of the professionals to miss reality when tis in front of them....)

Back to recovering from the day....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | May 13, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

*snort*

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

That hexagon on Saturn is wild! Here's a little piece about efforts to determine what's going on there:

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

And, should say that the tech people in the video are superb....but I am thinking more about the deeply flawed thinking and process that got us there....sometimes technological optimism is misplaced and cock-eyed...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | May 13, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

*faxing a Milky Way (Dark) to my favorite prairie shark wrangler, Laura Ingalls Cousteau-Quint*

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd be more worried about the refrigerator deciding to evolve some of its contents. Nothing will ruin your day quite like a sentient, hostile jello mold first thing in the morning.

Posted by: rashomon | May 13, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The worst thing is that, like, every time you touch the thing in order to achieve a higher state of consciousness you leave fingerprints.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 13, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah. My confidence in the energy & competence of the folks currently working on solving the problem is not at all matched by any similar confidence in the wisdom, foresightedness, and responsible-mindedness of the people for whom they work.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

It the new black monolith fridge one of the fancy ones that talks? I'd get one, but only if it's name was Hal.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 13, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"All these drawers and shelves are yours, even the door slots and the built-in-egg holder, except for the bottom crisper. Attempt no storage there, not even lettuce or cold cuts. Use the rest of the space in peace."

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

CP - thanks for linking to that video. The fellow never did answer the most substantive part of Joel's question, I fear. I still don't understand the technology behind a well intercept. (Except, of course, that it's a bit like drinking a milkshake from across the room.)

I mean, do they just point the drill *really* carefully, or is there some kind of feedback mechanism? You know, like an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) above the drill head or something.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 13, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Maddow is going to show tape of the missing piece(s) of Jupiter in a few minutes.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

See, it is horizontal drilling. You go in from the side, at an angle (not an angel, sadly).

SAGD does this in the oil sands. The dreadful thought is, though, that nobody really knows what happens when you do that 5000 fbsl and no-one knows the pressure-factors and ROF, and so it is all conjecture, at this point.

Plan G, clearly.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

fbsl? ROF: rolling on the floor (where's LMYAO? Or is this one "hold the LMYAO"?)

I gotta say, I'm really liking "fbsl." Fib-sul.

Didja get the Milky Way?

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Feet Below Sea Level. Rate of Flow.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Conceptually, the concept of drill-bore intercept in an age of GPS & inertial navigation technology is pretty straightforward. Practically, it seems a pretty neat trick to pull off.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

SAGD (pronounced sag-dee [and has nothing to do with les bras held high]) is Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I think I went to a health spa that had that.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 13, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

*Triple Snort*

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

SAGD is sadly deficient when D is in effect. SAG results. Age contributes.

I'm thinking we may go through an alphabet of hurricane names before we get to plan Z on the oil cleanup. But it's late and evening visitors kept me from viewing Mr.A and the press conference, so I'm grumpy.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm sort of lucky that way, talitha.

Don't be grumpy. Equanimity is all!

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry too much, Talitha. Joel phoned it in on this one.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

**** rim shot ****

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I've worked adjacent to some trenchless design engineers on occasion. They can pretty much drill with accuracy just about anywhere nowadays.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 13, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected, sbgt.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Thinking of military casualties, Sherman's progress through Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina was the opposite of Napoleon's foray into the heart of Russia. Sherman's army thrived. I think it actually grew, while being offered trophies like all the cotton in Savannah. Great quantities of the enemy's food and war materiel were put to good use. Cooperators were left in peace, troublemakers scourged.

Sun Tze would have been delighted. Napoleon, flabbergasted.

A new history of Russia's war on Napoleon shows that despite having to endure terrible suffering, the Russians handled Napoleon extremely shrewdly; the campaign in Russia was just the beginning of a coordinated military and diplomatic offensive that quickly destroyed Napoleon. Napoleon's downfall was possibly due largely to the loss of horses, such that the French could not reconstitute their cavalry nor their transportation capabilities. Soldiers were cheap and easy to get compared to horses.

The Russian campaign was presumably the worst horse massacre until World War I (as in the play "War Horse").

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | May 13, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Anybody wanna go yiffing?

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

But what would have Yin Yu Tang have had to say?

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Lin Yu Tang.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Certainly not I, yello.

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty. When there are too many soldiers, there can be no peace. When there are too many lawyers, there can be no justice."

Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I've certainly become a bit furry in my old age, but am currently (I mean, for the rest of tonight!) celibate.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

DaveoftheC, I never thought to compare Sherman's march with Napolean in Russia, but I'm going to ponder that until, as omni says, I give myself a headache. Very interesting.

I'm less grumpy now after reading boodler posts. You folks have an amazing effect on one's outlook and I thank you for that and a day of de-light.

Daily Show and Colbert for a nightcap. Sleep well.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

And who could ask more?

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Not me, Yoki, and that was a funny overpost.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What, please, is an overpost?

Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I certainly won't presume to speak for Talitha, but by "overpost", she might have been referring to this accidental sequence:

Anybody wanna go yiffing? -
Posted by: yellojkt | May 13, 2010 10:39 PM

But what would have Yin Yu Tang have had to say? -
Posted by: Yoki | May 13, 2010 10:46 PM

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Or wasn't that accidental?

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sorry . . . when I hit submit and the page refreshed your post came up instantly and seemed to answer mine, when in fact you were responding to Bob-S. 'Overpost' is just my dumb word for that phenomenon.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

yello, go wash your hands. after what you just typed in you should probably use lye

Posted by: omni3 | May 13, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Talitha - You gotta watch Yoki, she's a sly one. I think she intentionally used a reply that worked for either of us.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 13, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

*snicker*
I can't compete you any of you, but you give me a good run for it!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 13, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse