No magic bullet in gulf spill

Just a quick bulletin. There's bad news from the gulf: The containment dome that had been lowered onto the largest leak has been sidelined by methane hydrates, which are have collected in the top of the dome and clogged it. This is like a crystalline slush and it has rendered the dome useless until they can find a way to prevent the formation of the hydrates.

As a result, the dome has been moved from the leak to a spot about 200 meters away, according to the BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles.

They'll look for a solution. But for the moment the dome doesn't look like it's going to be a magic bullet.

Next plan is the junk shot, where they try to clog the blowout preventer with debris.

"Some people have described it like stopping up a toilet," Suttles said.

The problem there is that it could potentially make the problem worse, though Suttles didn't explain how that could happen, precisely.

I'm afraid this is going to take a while, folks.

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 8, 2010; 3:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could you bomb the gulf oil well?
Next: The mysterious end of Deepwater Horizon

Comments

Reposting from prior kit.

*directing CasaJS mojo gun at the Habs and Red Wings*

A bit about natural gas hydrates from the U.S. Geological Survey.

I get the distinct impression that "fishing" (to use Mr. A's colorful word) to clear the slush is not going to be BP's next move.

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Defeat the Hydrates!

Posted by: -TBG- | May 8, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Some suggested materials for clogging the BOP:
-doilies
-Celine Dion CDs
-smaller Kinkades
-old bread
-lawn waste

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Public relations can't overcome the thermodynamic problems. The equivalent temperature at the 2000 psi pressure one mile down is six times hotter than the surface of the sun. One cannot argue the desperate nature of the situation which calls for whatever attempts may come to mind however improbable the chance of success. By the time this total biological disaster plays itself out, though, all will agree in hindsight that offshore drilling should have been totally avoided to begin with, however extreme the idea might have sounded in projection.

The only thing to be gleaned from this horror is as a harbinger of the nuclear weapons problem that promises to destroy the world in toto. Only a complete ban on ALL weapons will keep us from that parallel suicidal stupidity that brings mankind to extinction. More on matrix-evolutions dot com.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Mr. A, the MSM may want to use an alternate phrase to 'junk shot.'

Kindly consult the urban dictionary as to why.

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Other options being considered are listed here.

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This is very distressing news. I have no good ideas on what to do and feel powerless and angry that BP, the regulators, Halliburton and whomever else is to blame here, have created a mess with no thought to clean up methods. Bombs, mud, concrete, maybe just tow a few garbage scows out there and dump everything in? Geez.

On a happier note, Betty White is hosting SNL tonight!

Posted by: badsneakers | May 8, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

JA, you might want to consider the Zapper on the creative blogspam (but spam nonetheless) at 5:56. drconcerned might want to read up on the conditions necessary for clathrate hydrate formation.

Been sidelined by what was hopefully only a 24-hour flu... Yech.

steveboyington and nuclear piping... Hmmmm... Several proper names come to mind, many of them two-word constructions that include "Yankee." :-)

*continuing-my-recovery Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

*healing mojo gun pointed Snuke's way*

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Be well soon, Scotty! We need you here; between travel and illness, we're suffering.

Posted by: Yoki | May 8, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought. If they can drill crooked-like to try to plug the gusher, why can't they drill crooked-like from a safer area in shallower water in the first place?

Posted by: steveboyington | May 8, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, au contraire, I worked for the military-industrial complex shutting down old navy nuke training facilities. In fact, I've helped design (well, not as much design as maintain) some things that could get up close and personal with this wellhead.

I am/was a structures guy. My experience with piping was cutting things out that were attached to said piping, then having those things safely stored in shielded containers and shipped to long-term storage.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 8, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

maybe they should consult the Russians... nuke it in the end. Not sure what's worse at this point.

Posted by: MissToronto | May 8, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks MsJS & Yoki, much appreciated. :-)

I hear ya, steveboyington, pardon my confusion.

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke: The point isn’t so much about the details of the hydrate formation but of the extreme nature of the thermodynamics of chemical reactions at that high end of pressure. They won’t fix it, can’t fix it, or if that sounds too final a judgment, the probability of their fixing it is very close to nil.

This is to say that trial and error efforts at this stage of the game cannot substitute for the sharp foresight demanded beforehand. Some problems, like the end of the gulf and east coast shorelines that is coming, an inarguable catastrophe as we shall see, or nuclear war, the final catastrophe about which there will be no Internet comments.

Babbling is a social art. Action requires intelligence and the real concern of adult minds, in very short supply in today’s America where the many varieties of abnormality and childishness that have sprung up in the population know no bounds.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Interesting developments in Yootah...

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

As far as I know all we've got here in the boodle right now in this particular situation is babble.

Posted by: -TBG- | May 8, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

psst, Joel "which are have collected" first para - should that be corrected?

Sorry to hear the containment device is not working, to put this into a perspective I can understand, the fixed was foiled by a giant oil slushy?

Posted by: dmd3 | May 8, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

And you're quite the artist, drconcerned. Inability to get basic facts straight (such as focusing on chemical reactions when the solutions being attempted and discussed here in extreme detail are mechanical in nature) and resorting to nuclear war comparisons are babbling of the first order.

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

So... I spent last night with my wonderful sisters. We stayed in Old Town and had dinner together and spent this morning and afternoon wandering Old Town and visiting the Torpedo Factory.

There are four of us. The oldest two are 18 months apart; I was born five years later and the youngest five years after me. So even though we're very close now, it was more like my parents had two sets of two daughters. Sometimes I learn things about the older sisters' childhood I did not know.

Like what was revealed last night: My parents had to ban them from watching Lassie because my oldest sister, D, got "too nervous," according to second sister, G.

While we were laughing about this at dinner last night, after G had made the startling revelation, D exclaimed, "But G! He was in a WELL!"

Posted by: -TBG- | May 8, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Feel better Scotty.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 8, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Ah, siblings... *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, you been following the p.r. disaster that has enveloped the "Vermont" of the Yankees? Bunch of ultramaroons owning/running that place lately, it seems.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 8, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

How could Bob Bennett stand a chance when he ran against THIS guy? "I will fight every day as your U.S. senator for limited government, to end the cradle-to-grave entitlement mentality, for a balanced budget, to protect our flag, our borders and our national security and for bills that can be read before they receive a final vote in congress," Lee said in his convention speech.

Bullet points hit? Check. Flag waved sufficiently to distract and cause tears to well up? Check. Sneer at Washington? Check.

A surefire winner nowadays, I guess.

Posted by: steveboyington | May 8, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing, TBG. I'm glad it was fun.

drconcerned, the second paragraph of your last post contains a run-on sentence. Am I to infer a nuclear apocalypse is near or that there will be no internet comments about the Gulf and east coast shorelines?

Posted by: MsJS | May 8, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Have I been following that episode?

Ah, that steveboyington, such a kidder... *SIGHHHHHHHH*

But yes, it's a PR disaster, nothing more.

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

That sounds just like my brothers and me together, TBG. I know what fun you must be having.

This is a scary fast-skating hockey game. I'm nervous.

Posted by: Yoki | May 8, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

The good news is...it's my birthday and I'm glad to be alive! :-)

The media in particular needs to keep the pressure on for fixing the gulf oil gusher. Thanks for the update, Joel...unfortunate as it is.

Now, back to my day of pampering.

Posted by: Windy3 | May 8, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Hippo Birdies, Windy!!! :-) *faxin' confetti*

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

A ready example is the need for steam tables to build a generator. You can’t do it out of equations because they just don’t exist. The conclusion reached is: They won’t solve the oil spill problem, not until the entirety of the Gulf and East Coasts are quite destroyed. There is no lesson to be learned from it because some things are not do-overs. Jumping to the nuclear war problem is not babbling. The same, oops, sorry about that irremedial error, in the nuclear case of taking out a billion or two people, will happen also unless people who get their satisfaction from idle chit chat that accomplishes nothing focus on the nuclear problem. And do something about it ahead of time, which is what wasn’t done with this oil spill potentiality ahead of time. Excuse the acerbity. You may not warrant it, but the problem does.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Missed the first part of the above, which is:

Scottynuke: Having been forced to teach engineering thermodynamics in my younger days enough times to understand it well, I should tell you that that science quite governs all mechanical processes that are heat affected such as the workings of an automobile engine, the point being that at that extreme pressure, knowledge of what happens when you try something is skimpy to nil because thermodynamic is peculiarly idealized science.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, scotty! Forgot to mention that I can hardly wait to see Betty White on SNL tonight. What a role model for making it to 88!!!

Posted by: Windy3 | May 8, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Windy! Hope it's a great one!

Posted by: slyness | May 8, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

drconcerned, if you'd taken just a little time to follow the several blog items on this general topic, you'll see that quite a few folks commenting here understand the basic principles involved in attempting to contain the uncapped well and then properly cap it. Even as astute as these Boodlers are, they're not the specialists currently working on the issue, so I am comfortable that your take on the matter is further from reality than most. The only thing saving you from the far end of the spectrum is the commenter on an earlier post who suggested a terrorist missile started the whole thing.

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

MsJs: Yes, I dropped the end of a sentence, excuse me. What you should infer is that when you are dealing with high energy processes, errors become terminal, as how this oil spill will turn out. Will turn out that way whatever the chit chat on it. And the only point worth taking from it is that high energy errors that are not fixable in hindsight must be powerfully focused on before they occur, the one such big error about to happen that stares all sensible people in the face being the level of strife in the world reaching the next big war mark, whereupon we all go up in smoke unless people begin focusing on it and getting together to do something about it.

And to Scottynuke: You’re missing the point. I know enough about the subject to tell you that there IS NO FIX. We can be empirical about it and wait and see. No point in testing who uses words cuter. Wait and see. And after you see the irremedial mess made, then understand that the only thing attained from this error was to point to a parallel problem that cannot be fixed in hindsight, that of nuclear destruction. You sound like a man who might understand mathematics. Look to our website, matrix-evolutions dot com. There is the foundation argument for what we can expect as to the coming of nuclear war if all sit on their hands.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

No thank you, drconcerned, if your comments and tone are at all representative of that site, I seriously doubt there's anything there of merit.

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 8, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

My heart be broken.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 8, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

[RD - from last kit, belated thanks for your shared sympathy - keep those eyetests coming.]

TGB, you and your sisters sound like mine.
I'm the eldest of four and get-togethers are hilarious rehashes of past holiday and pop culture experiences we shared. "Timmy's in the well!" *snort*

Happy birthday to Windy, Scotty get well *waves back*, and may all your hockey teams win.

Boodle, I'm doing my homework and will be ready for the test tomorrow.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 8, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I am a rather distressed Boodler, right now. However, there are still 20 minutes left. I tell myself it is early days, but the fact is, the flightless birds are playing much better than we are (and Halak got a bit hurt early on, which won't help my boys any).

Posted by: Yoki | May 8, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. The Ivansclan took a break and saw Ironman 2 today. We all liked it. I thought it was very funny, very entertaining. I was also deeply amused by the trailers, which mainly involved happy shiny good-hearted people fighting or blowing things up. One had a snake. Summer movies indeed. I am so there.

I am so sorry to hear about the gas slushy (I'm thinking of Reagan and methane from cows). As I recall some Boodler or other may have introduced this possibility a Kit or two ago. It isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Howdy from last kit to GaryEMasters, I'm so sorry you're out of sorts but it is nice to see you here.

I am not an engineer, oil field specialist or sciencey type, but I am pretty good with both logic and the English language and drconcerned's posts make very little sense to me. They remind me of Dickens and King Charles's head. I had a colleague like that: get him on a certain thought track and a particular case would arise again and again whether or not it was apropos.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 8, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Why the blowout happened:

Posted by: joelache | May 8, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and many happy returns to Windy!
and TBG, that's a great argument for sisters.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 8, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Excellent article Joel.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 8, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

That's a great article Joel. And I like the line about Chernobyl at the end. For to me that is what this feels like, fairly or not.

We just watched 2012. So bad it was entertaining, and a good way to put things into perspective. Dang them mutating neutrinos!

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 8, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

That is a very fine article, Joel. I hope to share it with the Boy if I can corral him.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 8, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Joel for a fine article. I'll be sharing it with several folks who who've been following your updates all along.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 8, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Why am I still amazed that Joel can write such a great article that can explain to ME what happened?

THANKS!

Posted by: -TBG- | May 8, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks! Been working like mad on it.

I hope they have a good plan B or C or D.

Posted by: joelache | May 8, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I wondered about the secretiveness of the web page referral.
' dot '
what's that all about? Why not just type it complete as a cold link?

Oh well.

In other news I was on a funny roll today.

I asked a dude from Bulgaria to 'something' in Bulgarian. He said 'zdravey', which means Hi. I said no, say 'something'.

It was a lame version of "Who's on First", but still got a laugh.

A good guy with a sense of humor.

Next up was Spanish. I asked my bilingual server if Perro means Dog, she said yes. And Pero means but. Yes. Then I said Pero y t, pause, then slapped my butt, and got a good laugh.

Posted by: omni3 | May 8, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's a cheerful sounding song.

Julieta Venegas

I think it's a love song. 'Bien o Mal'. in English 'Good or Bad'.

As a bonus it has subtitled lyrics.

AS double bonus it has a fluffy white bunny rabbit.

Posted by: omni3 | May 8, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Excellent article Joel. I confess that I don't want to think about this subject anymore right now, it's just too awful. But I'm more knowledgeable from having read it. Thank you for that.

Happy birthday Windy! Back from dancing where someone came down hard on my instep with a high heel. Didn't break the skin, but there is a bruise. Who knew dancing could be so dangerous.

Hope you're on the mend Scotty. I'm going to go get ready for Betty White, should be fun!

Posted by: badsneakers | May 8, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see John McPhee's geology guide (who's a petroleum type) figuring in Joel's article.

I never knew more than a bit about drilling for oil, but was once suitably impressed upon getting a peek at the startling depth to which a powerful new rig had drilled near our town in Wyoming. Who knew the basin was so deep?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | May 8, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the WSB has depths. Sort of like people.

Posted by: Yoki | May 8, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Happy Mothers Day
Many mothers songs,but I have always enjoyed this one

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 9, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

I'll get back to the topic at hand shortly, but I'm catching Betty White on SNL. She's working the material for all it's worth.

Liked the Jay-Z medley, too. Think they may have missed a comic opportunity by not having Betty stroll onto stage when the band crunched out opening chords of "99 Problems" to just glare at Jay.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 9, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I had it all planned, I was gonna do it, but there is just no way that I am a field of cornflowers at dusk. Ooops, I mean, there is just no way that I am going to be awake in two hours when SNL comes on here.

Reviews of Betty White's appearance are welcome so long as they are fawningly positive.

'night, Boodle. *Tired*

Posted by: Yoki | May 9, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

You know I've been thinking. The hue test says 1 of 255 women and 1 of 12 men have color deficiency.

Based on the low scores the male Boodlers are reporting...I don't know what I wanna say, just that I was thinking.

Posted by: omni3 | May 9, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Notice how many women from SNLs past came back to able to work with Betty White? I don't blame them. She owned that show like no one has in years. Loved the Jay-Z medley, too.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 9, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

omni, are you still obsessing on that hue test? Just what are you saying about the boodlemen having low scores, hmmmm? I'd say it means they're well-balanced and perceptive, wouldn't you?

Posted by: talitha1 | May 9, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

read Hank Stuever, talitha. They were there to preserve an 88-year-old shining star.

Posted by: Yoki | May 9, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Hank was spot on about Betty, wasn't he?
He's fun to read on pop cultural stuff. During the Olympics Paul Farhi and Steuver (and a few other wapo reporters) moderated a livechat every night. People, including me, from all over the US and Canada snarked and whoop-de-dooed instantaneously.
It was a hoot and Steuver's dry wit really added an interesting dimension to it. Especially during ice-skate/dance and curling.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 9, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Stuever
Didn't I read that piece yesterday on Betty White? I've read so many links these last few days that my head swims.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 9, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Sans dout. But, our Hank is just too too beautiful a writer. I followed his Christmas blog, and adore him. So funny and good. Why, soon he'll be the poor man's Joel Achenbach.

Posted by: Yoki | May 9, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Ah, now there's a thought.
Well, to paraphrase Lord Capulet - 'the hour's so late that we shall call it early by and by.'

Goodnight to all and Happy Mother's Day!

Posted by: talitha1 | May 9, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

38 my first try on the hue test (had to backboodle).

The test results actually do identify the points on the spectrum that give people trouble.

The problem for me is that blue-green is very bright and two squares in the third row just didn't fit right in the spectrum from an aesthetic viewpoint, too bright and too green to fall after such a meh aqua which actually looks faintly yellow-washed.

For me it was like if you had orange fading into mustard, and then canary and lemon yellow, and then a more distant of muddy yellow-green fading into olive. The color intensity change was just too jarring.

I definitely see green a bit further into the blue spectrum than most; I've argued with my art teacher over blue vs green.

Incidentally, my dad and mom disagree on the boundaries between blue vs green, so I may have inherited two fairly different "blue" genes" (autosomal inheritance, seems unlikely)-- or very different copies of green cones.

Many men don't have straight color blindness for red and green, but "anamoly" where a red and green gene has traded regions, rendering a gene that might see yellow-green, or yellow, or orange (different spectra peak) than most. This mutant gene is often paired with either a normalish red or green gene.

Since those genes are carried on the X chromosome, and men only get one copy, they will have problems distingushing reddish from greenish colors mostly in the yellow range or when the colors are very faint.

Women who get normal and anomalous copies (thanks to two x chromosomes) may have superior color discrimination, in that they can see difference between shades of colors nobody else does-- literaly colors look much more distinct to them because they have four colors cones (red, yellow, green, and blue.) Which shades are more distinct may well depend on the spectra peaks. Those women would be tetrachromats.

So, I don't think this test, because it depends on the viewer seeing difference in intensity of color, is as good a measure as a straight color matching test would be.

It is possible tetrachromats would find this test hard because there is actually not enough graduation between colors for them to match perfectly-- while they would pass real color blindness tests, of course. I always have.

This test may be perfectly geared towards people without any color anomoly genes-- whether they are actually color blind or not.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 9, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't read too much into the results of the color test -- unless you took it on a relatively new, high-quality, color-calibrated monitor in a dark room. Monitors have too much variability in color reproduction, and ambient light -- including the color the room is painted -- has a huge influence on color perception. A basic lesson graphic designers learn pretty quickly, and often the hard way is: Don't trust the colors you see on screen.

Posted by: rashomon | May 9, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Not saying anything talitha. That's just it, thinking not saying.

And Wilbrod is right. The higher the peak on the results the farther off true it is. I was thinking along the lines of an RGB indicator.

RGB is how I figured a cheat on the test.

RGB are the primary colors of the light spectrum: Red Green Blue

Posted by: omni3 | May 9, 2010 4:18 AM | Report abuse

The Three Stoogies on AMC this morning!!!
Such timeless classics I am LMAO this AM.
Have a Great day Everyone,especially all you boodle moms.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 9, 2010 5:36 AM | Report abuse

The Three Stoogies on AMC this morning!!!
Such timeless classics I am LMAO this AM.
Have a Great day Everyone,especially all you boodle moms.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 9, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

The Three Stoogies on AMC this morning!!!
Such timeless classics I am LMAO this AM.
Have a Great day Everyone,especially all you boodle moms.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 9, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

so funny I had to post it 3 times Ha Ha

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 9, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Feh. I hate the flu. Double feh.

Hmmmmm... When the American Cancer Society says you're exaggerating cancer risk, that's not a good sign:

steveboyington, did you get an early Sunday Globe delivery or something? *L*

*hoping-I-can-muster-a-half-hour-or-so-of-energy-to-get-the-lawn-done Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 9, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Just wanted to drop by and wish all the ladies the very best, Mother Day. Enjoy your day ladies. God loves us all, but I think He holds a special place for mothers of the world.

Getting ready for Sunday school. Well,it seems everything else has failed, why don't we try a national prayer for the mess in the Gulf. Nothing is impossible with God.

Pray with me: Heavenly Father let your Holy Will and good pleasure be done in the Gulf, in Jesus name we pray. We thank you for answering prayers. Amen.

Scotty, hope you're feeling better. Happy Belated Birthday, Windy, and I hope you have many more.

Have a great day, folks,and enjoy your families. Love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 9, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking about giving my lawn a mohawk.

Posted by: russianthistle | May 9, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. After 3-4 weeks of summer-like weather we just had a light dusting of snow... It was 28C at Easter and it is 2C on Mother's day.

Good article from the boss but the substantive part isn't exactly uplifting. Cripes, methane hydrates barge in to cause trouble now!

High winds toppled a tree on the power line running along our lot yesterday morning and caused a 2 and a half hour power outage (and a 6 hours cable/internet outage). The part of the tree touching the high voltage wire was all burnt up so that thing must have been sparking and smoking for a while. The repair was done fast enough but I'm left to deal with the tree's stem that is still standing with its broken top attached. More chainsaw work in my future. %$@!

Happy day to the Boodle mothers!

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | May 9, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there and all those with mothers. I'm celebrating by letting my wife sleep another hour.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

So that's two more hours, yello? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 9, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Happy Mother's day. Very chilly but bright and clear. Preparing for brunch. Hope you are feeling better Scotty. Have a great day everyone.

Posted by: badsneakers | May 9, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope all the Mothers out there are being treated right this morning.

I see Joel's article made A1 above the fold.

Sweet.

Of course, the article I am really looking forward to is his definitive Pulitzer-Prize winning piece: "The Deepwater Horizon Leak: How they finally stopped it."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 9, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Blaming the double post on the Droid. New Kit.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 9, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

New Kit

Posted by: dmd3 | May 9, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

As we see, kids, the slick spreads with no hope in sight. As I said, scientific sensibility, which some who spout on this blog disdain, specifically the thermodynamics this writer knows well from having taught it at Rensselaer Polytechnic, makes it clear that there is NO FIX for this mess, all so called efforts by BP being "we are trying our best" Public Relations games by a billionaire outfit who has the money to play them. (They have a few engineers on their payroll who also understand that Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall.)

The enormity of this disaster as it unfolds unabated over the next few months will rival a good sized asteroid hitting the earth.

The point, oh ye Dicken's readers of tiny foresight, is that some things are not reparable. You have to deal with them from the front end, ahead of time. That is the only tangible and indirect lesson we will learn from this spill.

The point that none of the gentle people writing here who live for watching their favorite silly TV programs seem to be able to catch is that another disaster awaits us all in the form of the grand nuclear "spill", that is, nuclear war that promises mankind's extinction coming soon.

To avoid that, one needs to galvanize all the sleepy dreamy non-realistic people like Scott and JmJs, etc., to DO SOMETHING, NOT JUST SIT AND GAB AND GAB AND GAB AND GAB AND GAB. Excuse if that criticism is not apropos, much easier to bury your heads in the sand of TV silliness than worry about your kids and grand-kids, isn't it?

Check out www.matrix-evolutions.com to show you the way. A child's mind beyond a certain age is the mind of a fool, says Confucius. Wake up, children.

Posted by: drconcerned | May 10, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse