LeBron is LeGone

So the Cavs have emulated the Caps, and LeBron James has emulated Ovechkin: Kings of the regular season, chumps in the playoffs. With the Caps playing golf I had been searching for some other sport to fall asleep to and had temporarily settled on the NBA and the near-certainty of a LeBron vs. Kobe final, with all the cymbals-crashing drama therein (thereof? -- remind me how to write). But after LeBron laid the egg the other night -- some dared say he quit on his team -- he posted a triple-double last night that almost became an unfortunate quadruple (9 turnovers), and now he's in his off-season with two more rounds of the playoffs still to go.

The huge question is whether he'll stay in Cleveland or be LeGone, but the smart money has to be on LeGone, on account of the "Cleveland" thing. This is a guy who basically has been a subsidiary of Nike since he was in high school. I am pretty sure the corporate titans will insist he play in New York.

Back to hockey for a second: Great blog by Steinberg on the premature assessments of Sidney Crosby's superiority. Crosby just got the heave-ho in the Stanley Cup playoffs by the very same Canadiens who ousted Ovechkin et. al.

The huge news is that the Nats suddenly look like a real baseball team that could -- well, I was going to write something that included the word "pennant," but let's not push our luck. Zimmerman homered twice last night, 6 RBIs, Nats win again, 5 games over .500 -- this is why I live for baseball now.

I'm done with golf. This column by Boswell totally depressed me. Boz says that Tiger's problem right now is not simply "rust," or the fact that his life is a shambles. Tiger's just old. Boz makes an actuarial case. Tiger is 34. Historically, the great ones never dominate beyond the age of 34. They can still win, but they can never again be what they were before.

Ain't it the truth, folks.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 14, 2010; 7:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: BP releases oil leak videos [Updated]
Next: The oil spill from the air

Comments

That's pretty rough, man. I'm 34 this year, does that mean I've hit my prime? Or maybe, since I'm only one of the mediocre ones, not a truly great one, I'm still on the upswing.

Posted by: Gomer144 | May 14, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Numero uno?

(poking everybody with a stick)

Posted by: Gomer144 | May 14, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

See, this is why I am content to not be a "great one." There are no competitive activities of an athletic nature that I was better at 20 years ago than I am now. Gross physical incompetence is a timeless gift.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Yay! A sports kit on a Friday! Does this mean we're going to have Fluff Fridays?

I have to admit, I started cheering the Habs because I thought a Pens loss would vindicate Alex, et al. But after watching them, I actually like them. I won't jinx them by saying they're the Real Deal.

"Gross physical incompetence is a timeless gift." Love it, RD.

Those bulging neck discs are just not something you can gut through. You can ignore the pain in a knee, but there's no way to compensate for numbness in your arms and hands. So I'm giving Tiger a pass, although I think he should have withdrawn on Friday.

But I really enjoyed watching Tim Clark win the Players. On top of the fact that it was his first victory, there is nothing about his appearance that screams "star athlete." He looks like the average dude you'd meet at the bowling alley.

Posted by: Raysmom | May 14, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

With mad short iron and putter skillz, of course.

Posted by: Raysmom | May 14, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I have basically no clue what either Joel or Raysmom are saying. Triple-double? Quadruple bypass? Discus? This is track-and-field, right?

Posted by: ScienceTim | May 14, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

When the season started my awesome dream was that the Nats would be within spittin' distance of .500 ball. But now that they are actually displaying a certain degree of competence I am finding myself falling into the treacherous tar pit of rising expectations.

I am beginning to believe that the pitching won't invariably collapse in the middle innings. I can almost sense the vague outlines of competent outfielders who can, occasionally, hit.

I have growing fondness for a man named Pudge. This newly found optimism, I fear, will lead to naught but tears of frustration.

Bitter. Bitter. Tears.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Curling is the sport for those who wish to better at 40 than they were at 20. Heck you can curl in your 80's, plus there is the bar afterwards.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 14, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Science Tim, don't feel bad, I asked "S" to explain the triple double to me the other night, but I've already forgotten what it is. I am, however, happy for our Celtics, even tho' basketball isn't my thing.

Busy weekend coming up, "S"'s daughter and grandchildren are coming so I must get busy with shopping and cooking and 'child proofing' certain areas.

Posted by: badsneakers | May 14, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

You know, I am totally with Steinberg on this Hockey business. That the Habs won takes a lot of the sting out of the collapse of the Caps. Plus, of course, happy Canadians are not without charm.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The trick as I see it is not to pick a sport or occupation (mathematics and physics come to mind, along with golf, basketball, football, etc.) where the young whelps dominate and you are washed up at 34 -- or even worse, something like figureskating or gymnastics, where you are washed up before you loose your virginity, fer cryin' out loud.

I say, pick a sport or hobby where you hit your stride in your 60s, and by your 70s you dominate your field, with or without your new titantium knee replacements. Something where wisdom, judgement, experience and reflection count for more than catlike reflexes, hand-eye coordination or bladder control. Novel-writing and knitting doilies spring to mind.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I've met RD_Padouk, and I would never think of him as grossly physically incompetent.

I do understand the rising hopes, though. Just as Joel has a little pennant fluttering just out of the corner of his eye, I see a shiny cup raised high by J. Halak in the next few weeks. And then the reality hits, and I look the other way. As a friend pointed out just days ago, at this point everything is gravy for the Habs. They weren't even slated to be in the playoffs, much less go to the conference finals.

That they have speaks, I think, to the historical knowledge they bring to playoffs. They know what is different, and in what ways, about playoff strategy and tactics and how to implement them as a team. They've known all this for such a long time that it shows even in the first round; they're not learning as they go the way younger teams are.

Not to mention that they are willing to get beat up; the faster and rougher a game is, the happier they seem. I mean, on Wednesday Gill was playing with 50 stitches in his leg from a gash received in game 6. I wonder how much novocaine that took?

Yes, there are some happy Canadians about.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Happy, Happy, Happy.

Dashed Hopes, Tears and Frustration - the life story of a Toronto Maple Leaf fan.

Posted by: dmd3 | May 14, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

dmd, that could also define a Bruins fan!

Posted by: badsneakers | May 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

FYI, Michael Kinsley's piece in the new edition of Atlantic magazine on the Tea Party so-called "Patriots" is one of the best political essays I've read all year, and probably the single best about the TP movement. His compare-and-contrast of the TP with the Peace Movement of the 60s (both angry people mad at the Establishment, one young and one old) is very instructive. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/06/my-country-tis-of-me/8088/

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Hello Yoki! I am looking for something interesting to do with eggplant (not in a George Rekers-like way, but in the kitchen.

Posted by: russianthistle | May 14, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The gardening type folks in my neighborhood consider tomato growing a competitive sport. Geezers do the best tomatoes.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | May 14, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the Kinsley piece, Mudge. Unfortunately, the TPP'ers will just say it's the rantings of an elitist intellectual smarty-pants liberal. But it's very well reasoned and written.

Posted by: Raysmom | May 14, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra's county sheriff election situation is kind of interesting. A candidate (Eddie Martin) placed fourth in the Democratic primary, but filed a couple of complaints.

First was a sour grapes kind of thing. He complained that he wasn't made aware that if he ran in the Democratic primary, he would be barred from later running as a party-unaffiliated candidate in the general election. That's a bummer, but the state law is clear, and the complaint was bounced.

The other complaint alleges violations of the Hatch Act barring election activity by federal employees. Since his opponents in the primary were all Sheriff's Department employees (Martin is not), and since the department receives federal funds, he contends that their campaigns were illegal and the election should be invalidated.

My (pretty vague) understanding is that the U.S. Office of Special Counsel will have to field this one. Probably depends greatly on how the federal funds are provided & administered, and what specific activities are alleged to have been violations of the Act. A separate issue is what punishment/remedies would be forthcoming if violations are found. Invalidating an otherwise untainted election seems unlikely to be the first option.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, weed! Ratatouille? Eggplant rolls with ricotta and basil? A tartine? Fritters in Marinara?

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Competitive knitting and hard-ball history, along with down and dirty gardening keep me younger in spirit if not in body.

LeBron who?

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Yum, Yoki. My husband does a great eggplant fritters in marinara. Thanks for reminding me so I can request that soon.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I know, talitha. I think "LeBron" is a kind of Chrylser, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If you think "Nats Fever" is virulent now, just wait a couple of weeks until Stephen Strasburg comes up to the major league club. If the Nats are still playing good ball then, you might see some genuine excitement on the Anacostia. Good seats on the bandwagon are still available but filling up quickly.

(Actually, we've got the Nats here in Denver over the weekend, and I'll probably load the family up and go Sat or Sun--weather permitting. If you haven't been watching the Denver weather, it's snowed 2 out of the last three days, and we're in the midst of a Seattle-like streak of rain that's pretty rare here on the high plains.)

Posted by: Awal | May 14, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I actually do keep up with some sports, especially Olympic types even when the actual Games aren't being staged. And I root root root for the home teams when there's one to root for. But I'm out of my league in any serious discussion so I just sit back and watch y'all and try to learn.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, ... with Ricotta and Basil interests me. What's the full scoop on the prep?

Posted by: russianthistle | May 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

To the extent that I pay attention to LeBron (and it ain't much) it seems pretty reasonable to assume that he's headed elsewhere pretty soon. I don't think he or his agent will be satisfied with a "greatest player never to win a title" tag.

In hockey, I'm all in for Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge.

What to say about the Nats? It's lots of fun already, could be a great summer. I've already been to four games, will probably get to quite a few more. I may have to save up for a ticket package next year. Those of us who can get to the games better enjoy it while we can. Easy availability of fairly cheap seats won't last long if the boys keep looking like they know what they're doing.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Kinda late this morning on account of being on the phone with lots of my fave folks. But there are still warm muffins, hot coffee and chilled OJ on the table.

Triple-double me doing three double-wheelie spins in a row. I managed it once, but alas, one of the witnesses had a videocam handy.

The Male Bovines got eliminated early, so I haven't paid any attention to basketball this spring. As for golf, there's a rant of mine somewhere in the A-blog archives. The less I hear about the sport or its key players, the happier I am.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

relay for life tonight. there will be a luminary in memory of error flynn.

Posted by: -jack- | May 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, Error Flynn. Bless 'im.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Because it's never too early to be silly about sports dreams, I'll note that the Nationals currently hold the National League wild card playoff spot!

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

russianthistle:

Dip half-inch thick eggplant rounds in beaten egg, then dredge in fine breadcrumbs (I like Panko for this), and fry in olive oil over medium heat until the breading is golden brown and the eggplant is crisp-tender.

Transfer the slices to a baking half-sheet, and spread about 2 T (depending on the size of your eggplant) ricotta over the top. Top that with good fresh tomato slices and a grating of buffalo mozzerella.

Bake at 400 until the cheese is bubbling and the eggplant is cooked through. After they come out of the oven, top each piece with a couple of leaves of fresh basil.

Serve hot with a nice salad of baby arugula in a classic lemon vinaigrette.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Howdy. Thanks, Jack.

RD, I can also say that there isn't any competitive athletic activity I did better in my 20s than I do now. My current poor attempts at athleticism still rise above those I did when younger. This does not mean I'm any better at them.

Bob_S & Cassandra, that's an interesting situation with the sheriff race. Sheriffs are usually state or county, depending on their funding mechanism. Generally, state and county employees are subject, if anything, to a state version of the Hatch Act. Merely receiving federal funds does not mean a state or local gummint employee is subject to the federal Hatch Act. If the state version allows employees to run for office (most do, with some exceptions for particular offices or jobs) then the federal Hatch Act shouldn't apply to invalidate the election.

In fact, if the federal Hatch Act applied and the candidacy was improper it is more than likely the local election board would not have accepted the filing, and almost certain that someone would have noticed before the primary was held.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's the word straight from the horse's mouth, the CEO of BP:

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume."

There now, doesn't that make you feel better? Horse's mouth, more like horse's a$$. This is right in there with "he's mostly dead, but not completely dead" except that when Miracle Max said that, it was funny.

Posted by: kguy1 | May 14, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably at my athletic peak right now, which doesn't say much for my younger days but does emphasize the need to set the bar low early.

And I was certain Dan Marino had retired the Greatest Athlete To Never Win A Title trophy.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

kguy, I saw that quote and it made me wonder if he thinks we are all as dull and unimaginative as the teabaggers. Good grief!

Obama just made some comments in which he pretty much ripped the BP, Halliburton and Transocean testimony the other day. Now if we can just do something about that Murkowski, the senator from Alaska who blocked the bill to raise oil companies liability. Gee, her vote couldn't have had anything to do with the 300k she has received from the oil industry, could it?

Posted by: badsneakers | May 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

kguy, I guess he's not that concerned about the sea critters who come in contact with the stuff, the folks whose livelihoods depend on those critters, or the folks whose livelihoods depend on clean beaches.

I'm betting the BP PR guys and gals are wincing at that one.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Yoki, that's sounds good. I don't know if I should eat it or have s3x with it.

Posted by: russianthistle | May 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The neat thing about oil in the sea is that it stays there floating around until it ends up on something or in something. It isn't a matter of water, it's a matter of critters and coastline you dope.

Posted by: russianthistle | May 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's just say although I know that when I'm on the treadmill I look nothing like my mental image of me on the treadmill. Delusion gets me to the gym, however.

As does a mistake Panera made today. I'm not working on a big project many others are so I've been ordering in lunch a few times a week as my part. Panera sent an extra cookie with the big order. Mmmmmm.

Off to the gym. Have a good day, all!

Posted by: -dbG- | May 14, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Cookie? Did someone say cookie?

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I guess.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

One of my neighbors proposed a novel method of oil cleanup when we met on the morning canine perambulation trail yesterday- a fleet of barges carrying labrador retrievers encircles the slick and the oil is absorbed by the masses of shed dog hair. Then we just scoop up the oily hair and burn it in our power plants. Problem solved! Two or three hundred labs should be enough.

Posted by: kguy1 | May 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

If the Le in LeBron (and so many other African American names) is an attempt to hold on to something West African, it seems misdirected. Most Africans seem to see AA's as simply whites. These people have nothing in common but skin color. I reckon the French connection is to remind us forever.

Having said all that, I love hoops. I see the King (that's LeBron's nickname) playing in Chicago...fitting. I would love see Denver trade our lady Carmella for a real baller like James. That's why I am still a Lakers fan.

Posted by: teddymzuri | May 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Weed, let it cool down first.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

No teddy. Don't see LeBron as a Male Bovine.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The franchise now known as the Nationals will never know success until the curse of Loria is redeemed by the Habs raising the Stanley Cup.

Just sayin...

And be glad they didn't send you the Blue Jays.

Posted by: qgaliana | May 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Very nice.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

NBC has finally killed "Law & Order."

[makes that "doink doink" sound effect: http://www.entertonement.com/clips/bdtcbfrxlt--Law-and-Order-Sound-Effect-mp3

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Also water down the vinaigrette.

I have to concede my athletic ability is worse than in my 20s. The one that I find especially frustrating though is that I find "fun" volleyball tournaments where you can't overhand serve difficult as my underhand serve is just plain bad.

Posted by: engelmann | May 14, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Yoki - My dad used to prepare eggplant much like that. He did something similar with zucchini. I admit I never much cared for it as a kid, but it sounds wonderful now.

Mudge - Wow. A world without new "Law and Order" episodes. What were there, like, three spin-offs?
Including the seldom seen "Law and Order: Patent Infringement."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Kguy, labs don't need no stinking barges. They'll swim there themselves. Did you know a lab can swim faster than a duck?

I read somewhere that groomers are collecting dog hair for precisely this purpose. They encase it in nylon. Or am I too credulous?

Shortbread, msjs. Not as good as mine /she said immodestly/ but
who looks a gift cookie in the mouth?

Posted by: -dbG- | May 14, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Shortbread's good, dbG. And you're not immodest, just honest.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

A lab might be able to swim faster than a duck, but it's really hard to find crispy Lab L'Orange.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I am just saying, Obama is not really the first doubleA president.

Posted by: teddymzuri | May 14, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Although maybe that's why.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

dbG, no you're no too credulous. Hair salons are also collecting clippings. The idea is to stuff them into nylon hose (think I read Hanes had donated umpty-thousand pair) and tie them together as oil-collecting booms. Someone posted a link to that effect here yesterday. I remain cynical and think it's folks wanting to *do something* out of a sense of helplessness and frustration. But more power to them.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Argh! Don't want to link you to the mobile version, but the opinion piece on too many single women on the SC is one more example of someone asserting that mothers are the most beleagured, misunderstood and wonderful people on the planet, far superior to we non-mothers. . . Going to bang my head against the wall.

Posted by: -dbG- | May 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

BCC: not too credulous

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought the "hair boon" thing was a bit loopy too, but there is, evidently, some Science behind it.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Fowl, mudge!

Posted by: -dbG- | May 14, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

One can never have too many single, middle-aged women hanging about. There, I said it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

*applauding dbG*

I brush about a newspaper bag's worth of hair out of The Wonder Dog every week. Who should I send it to?

Posted by: Raysmom | May 14, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

teddymzuri - Well, people are what they are, no matter what labels get tossed around.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Just the thought of the NRA convention in town is making me queasy - and such nausea more because of the wretched speakers there, because I'm a Second Amendment Supporting Ultra-Liberal (and proud of it!)

Although I gotta say those NRA-ers have awful taste in the babble they want to listen to.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I was wrong about Laura Marling. She plays the Iota Club and Cafe this Sunday. I believe she's headlining for Smoke Fairies and Pete Roe.

In other music news, there is apparently a band called 'Previously on Lost'

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Terrif catch, omni. "Previously on Lost" would make a great Boodle handle, too. If Scotty wasn't so busy I'd have him put it on the "hold for special price increase" shelf.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected on hairbooms.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

It's time to start planning a Viking invasion of Maine. Round up a longship, or at least a big rowboat, someone who speaks Norse or Icelandic, a few helmets and shields. Then invite Milbank and some Maine Republicans.

Unfortunately the paranoid-right stuff is spreading like crazy. I expect that pretty soon we'll see state legislatures shutting down incovenient science programs at state universities, not to mention naughty social sciences and humanities. Virginia's attorney general has already begun harassing UVa. Could it actually go private?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | May 14, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

That was nice qgaliana. But there is a lot of the 'Spos DNA in the Nationals. School is not out yet. I wouln't get too excited about the Nats' chances before the kids are back at school again.

Grilled eggplant as an appetizer, Lebanese style.

Grill eggplant slices in a hot oven, don't spare the olive oil and turn once in the process.
Drain the hot slice on paper and put them in a single layers on a serving plate.
While they are still hot add and spread on each slice a teaspoon of:
pressed yogurt seasoned with oregano, salt and pepper; or
tzaziki; or
spicy tomato sauce; or even
salsa.
Eat when it has cooled down.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | May 14, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Deploying all those little hairbooms to a four-zillion acre spill would be like slapping a merkin on a Neolithic Goddess and calling it a fur coat, but if it can reduce damage to important bits of coast, I'm for it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Backboodling:

Oh, it's about time Law and Order was cancelled before all the cast members started dropping off from natural causes.

Aliens recording our TV broadcasts must now think Sam Watterson is the greatest law-wrangler of all time, beating even Perry Mason or Matlock.

There probably are already a thousand alien academic papyri published on the sexual potency of bushy eyebrows and their ritual significance in social maintenance.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 14, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

According to Paul Farhi's Post article from May 8th, 450,000 pounds of human and animal hair had been collected in Gulf area warehouses. Volunteers were stuffing the 50,000 pairs of hose donated by Hanes. 15 pounds of hair = 12 feet of boom. They estimated 68 miles worth from materials on hand.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

dbG, I am very well aware of the swimming abilities of labs. My daughter owns one and my brother has two. I will never forget the first time we took our Aussie mix Mick down to the creek with my brother's big lab Riley. Both dogs dove in after a thrown stick. Riley was back with the stick before Mick could get halfway across the stream. Shake, bark, repeat. Same result. Third time (Riley will fetch thrown objects from any body of water until you give up or darkness falls) Mick just stands in the shallows and takes the stick away from the larger dog as he emerges from the creek, then presents the prize to me. This division of labor suited all concerned perfectly.

Posted by: kguy1 | May 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The BP Prez reminds me of something I heard a long time ago. If you put a drop of the finest champagne in a barrel of sewage, you still have a barrel of sewage. If you put a drop of sewage in a barrel of the finest champagne, you now have a second barrel of sewage. I never could figure out why anyone would put good champagne in a barrel.

I also take exception to the oft told lie of us 60+ not being in shape. I'll have you know, ah, ouch, ohh! Sorry, my typing fingers are cramping up... Maybe later.

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | May 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Basketball and Hockey are team sports, and Ovie, Sydney, and LeBron are all watching the rest of their respective league playoffs, because their teams lost to better ones.

As racers, my friends and I have found some niches that we can exploit to beat guys - and race teams - half our ages. We may not have scary hair-trigger reaction times of 20-something F1 drivers anymore (and neither does Michael Schumacher, FWIW), but we've found that we can employ what we've learned over decades of engineering and developing cars and of race preparation, tactics and strategies that allow us to devise ways to win - or at least take a trophy - in almost any race we enter anymore. And being the scary old guys can be rather enjoyable when you can socialize with your competition and get into their heads. Applied psychology can be a wonderful performance equalizer. My friends and I have won plenty of races before anyone even put a helmet on, and it's fun to beat someone faster than you by being smarter, or a better chess player. Or sometimes, even poker works..

And don't the Natspos still wear read, white, and blue...?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I once did something amazing with squash. It's basically the same as macaroni and cheese from scratch using sliced squash layered with sharp cheddar cheese and tomatoes but no macaroni. I don't think this would work well with eggplant though (I'm really not fond of eggplant, yuck. Tried half a dozen ways but raw, and no go

Mudge, I thought you'd like the name of that band.

Nobody in the band is name Kate though, sigh...

"This is a punk version of ‘Gilligan’s Island’ where we run through the songs as fast as possible so we can tell you everything you need to know about the entire season in an hour. We are serious ‘Lost’ fans."—Band founder Jeff Curtin

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

With a population of about 400 million between the US, Mexico & Cuba, we should probably be able to collect that much hair each month on a steady basis. Then the soaked-up oil can be turned into more pantyhose. Booms as far as the eye can see, baby!

Posted by: Bob-S | May 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

SCC: "red, white and blue"

Another phrase you'd think I'd have down pat.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

bc, love your race story, so true. Psych is a big part of any competition.

and yes the Nats are Red White and Blue. I still have the sweat faded cap I got free at my first game where I fell in love with the team and the sport. It's funny how I'm an Eagles fan through and through. But since DC got the Nats I don't like the Phillies. Especially now...stupid fillies

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, cheese. I really did read that as red bc. When you SCC'ed yourself I did a double uh-what ..

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

omni lots of recipes tell you to soak eggplant slices in milk for 10-20 minutes before cooking. This cuts much of the bitter taste eggplant sometimes has, and it also keeps the veg from soaking up oil if you're frying it. I myself love eggplant all ways- baba ganoush, eggplant moussaka, you name it, but my fave is still battered in cornmeal, fried crisp and served with catsup. The Alabama\East Texas way of my mom's folks.

Posted by: kguy1 | May 14, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Didn't mean to sound superior, kguy. :)

I'm surprised your Aussie could take the stick, though. Great story.

Posted by: -dbG- | May 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone at BP called the Shamwow guy yet? He's got a headset and everything.

Posted by: AgAnnie | May 14, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

LeBron in NY? Why would he want to go there,don't they suck? Or is it all about the moula?
I think he will end up in Charlotte playing for Mr. Jordan.

I would love to be a Natty Bohs fan,5 games above 500 is great,they got young pitching and are playing well.If only the O's were only 5 games below 500 and not really 15 games below.With the worst record in baseball,it is hard to get excited about them.I just watch the stats nowadays and still listen on the radio.

The NCAA lacross tourny starts this weekend,and I will be pulling for all the Maryland teams,although I feel like the terps are the only ones who will advance past the first round.

When does the NFL season start?

Till then I will be into alternative sports,tree twanging,curb ball,roof ball,maybe a game of frisbee golf and plenty of fishing.

Time to pack for a much needed vacation at the outer banks.Looks like surf fishing and beer drinking will be the sports I indulge during the next week.

LeBron in New York? No way dude.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | May 14, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

to this day I still haven't told my number one foe in chess how I psyched him out so thoroughly that we went from fairly even in matches to me beating him soundly game after game.

And I'm really not that good a chess player.

I pretended to not pay much attention, even playing a game of darts at the same time. I would make a safe move like I already knew his move and expected it, and then he would think and think......sometimes five or ten minutes later he would make a move and I would take all of two seconds for a safe move. All the while playing for control of the center. The moment I saw weakness in his position I pounced. Check, Check, Check and mate

So what I wrote above should tell you I'm not very good at chess. better at psych

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I do like eggplant in many different ways. My mom had a recipe that I haven't used in many years. I think it was to take an eggplant (*please!*), peel it, parboil it (~ 5 minutes), mix it with chopped onion (I think chopped celery would work in addition, too), 1 can cream of mushroom soup and enough Ritz cracker crumbs to make a relatively thick consistency (like stuffing). IIRC, chopped parsley went into this mix. Put into a prepared oven/microwave casserole dish and add more cracker crumbs, put into a pre-heated 350-375 (F) oven and bake for 30-45 minutes OR nuke for maybe 7.5 minutes or so (if you have a turntable; otherwise turn it halfway). It was pretty good, but, again, I haven't made it for ages, and I don't know how I'd feel about it now. I'd check the can of soup for HFCS and sodium content, etc.

Kinda sad about L&O's cancellation. Poor Sam Waterston -- he finally gets to be the DA and he gets cancelled. He's gonna have to find another job. BTW, I saw him maybe 15-20 years ago at a "do" at the Smithsonian (I think it had to do with a movie he made with Liv Ullman at Mont St. Michel -- and I can't remember the name of the movie, but it had an inordinate amount of talking in it). Anyhow, I was somewhat surprised that he was as diminutive as he was. Of course, I'm rather tall (even if I've shrunk a bit), so my perspective might be different from others'.

Posted by: -ftb- | May 14, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Omni -- that almost sounds like checkers.

Posted by: -ftb- | May 14, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I've never listened to a ballgame on radio and would love to

I've had breaded fried eggplant that was okay, but just

On a foodie side note the best hummus I've ever had was what I made myself. Even went so far as to improvise on it. The recipe I used called for Black Olives, I substituted half that with avocado. I love Avocado, but don't really care for Guacamole.

Don't bother YouTubing Previously on Lost. It's almost more rap than punk, and the sound is definitely Garage Junk.

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

There's a reason they say "Aussie, rhymes with bossy."

Posted by: kguy1 | May 14, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I was about to celebrate the end of the day, when I remembered I'm on-call this weekend... *SIGH*

*quite-belated-but-whadda-ya-gonna-do return wavies to Raysmom* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 14, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Going to Williamsburg for the weekend to visit friends, so won't be Boodling much until we return. I am requested to make my famous Beef (or Boef) Bourgignon while there. Everybody have a good weekend.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah, checkers, such a simple game...I'm deinitely worse at that than Chess.

I game I can't seem to wrap my head around is Mancala. I've won one of about twenty attempts. But of course I'm playing the Mac puter and not a person. Does anyone here even know how to play Mancala? Ever even heard even of it?

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

omni, if you mean the game with the rocks and the little bins, the Boy & I play that all the time. We have a nice "real" version, with pretty rocks and a wooden board, from when I was a kid. When the Boy was very small he learned (a) to insist on starting first and (b) which bin to start with, to maximize your number of turns and pretty much ensure your opponent's doom. I let him, because (a) I liked to see him develop strategic thinking and (b) all that counting and adding & subtracting of rocks was really just arithmetic in disguise.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 14, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

And why does my puter opponent get to move twice at the outset, and how the heck does it get to seven points before I've even made a play. I think it cheats

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes Ivansmom, that's the game. Remind me to never play the boy. I might take you up on a game, your so nice. Mom of the year award. Tell the Boy I said so

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

DLD,
In some weird synchronicity I was going to post a quote telling that same anecdote only they called it Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy and used the metaphor of fine wine instead of champagne. Having been to Napa Valley for tastings I will confirm that the bubbly stuff is aged in bottles not barrels.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

omni, in real life play, if your last dropped rock on a move lands in a bin containing rocks, you get to move all those rocks too in a second turn. Also, if your last rock drops in your prize bin, you get another turn and can start with any bin on your side. If that last rock drops in a bin with rocks (or your prize bin), you get to move all those, etc etc, until you finally take a turn in which your last rock drops into an empty bin. Only then is it your opponent's turn. Remember, every time you are filling up your own prize bin while skipping your opponent's. If you start first, you may take multiple turns and wind up with seven or eight rocks (or more) before your opponent's first play.

I want to go home and play Mankala with the Boy now.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Connect 4 was the one I let my son win every time, until it got to the point I couldn't beat the little guy even if I tried. After that I learned to play fair.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes IMom, that seems to be what I've read, but it surely doesn't seem to work that way for me. Like I said, I think my puter cheats.

On the other hand I have beat the puter in Tic Tac Toe three times. several cats games but no losses.

Once in a checkers game I was asked to concede three times. I won that one.

I've even managed a win or two in chess.

I'm convinced Sol is a cheater. I think the only time I've won was by playing Sol instead of Luna

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, omni! I will be sure to tell the Boy that I am a nice Mom. We are in the throes of finals and he might forget.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I didn't let him win, talitha. I just let him start first once he figured that it was usually the key to winning.

He doesn't get that advantage any more.

Posted by: Ivansmom | May 14, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

talitha, I'm a master at connect four. I've never lost a game yet. Of course that's probably because I've never played.

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The best board game in the world is Go. It's a game that'll put hair on your brain.

Posted by: ScienceTim | May 14, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Nicholai Hell would agree with you, ScienceTim.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

An uppity occupational therapist used to play mancala with me and then charge it off as a therapy hour.

The second time she did that I rolled into her boss' office and told her no more games or I'd leave and take my very good insurance elsewhere.

Mudge, have a great weekend. Scotty, hope your on-call pager remains silent all weekend.

L&O had a fabulous run. It made a bundle for everyone involved. We should all be so fortunate.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's a board game anyone can have hours of fun with.

This web page says there are no players. but this is not true. If you can imagine setting up perpetuating life forces that also send out 'arrows' to knock out you opponents PFs you can play a strategic game with this.

Unfortunately the link I've provide does not give you colors or colours so you can hardly keep track of what is what. But I have read about this game played in competition online and in SciFi

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

The thing about the Nats for me is that their logo uses the same style "W" as a certain pharmacy chain HQ'ed near me. Everytime I see the Nats play I always think of the pharmacy chain and not the ball club.

I'm toying with auditioning for "Dancing With the Stars." The novelty value of having a wheelie on the show oughta get me through a round or two.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

In the SciFi version the board is not on a computer but on the ground basketball court sized. a game can go on for days. It's fun to watch a speeded up version, but to play, wa

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Talitha, 68 miles is well-accomplished. It's still a fig leaf. Like I said, if it can save a little coastline, it's worth trying.

Wilbrodog claims he's happy to contribute to the cause-- within limits. Where can he ship his fur?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 14, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

regarding hair/fur donations:

sign up at this website and they will email you the info.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

My daughter and I used to plan Mancala all the time. We were both equally poor at it so it evened out nicely.

My favorite positional board game has always been backgammon. In college it seemed as if everyone had those little portable boards with the zippers.

Almost as ubiquitous as Trivial Pursuit.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Weird college, RD.

I've only played backgammon once, and that was because I delibrately sought to buy so I could learn.

Chess, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit were our game drugs of choice.

I did have Mancala and have enjoyed it. The problem is finding somebody who likes to play it.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | May 14, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Queen's was a backgammon college too. Of course, Trivial Pursuit didn't exist until after I'd graduated. Man, I'm old.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Backgammon was very popular at my grad school, RD.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

One of the first computer games I ever owned was "Go." It was shareware and ran on an IBM-AT. You know, that machine with the 800286 chip that ran at, like 8Hz.

I could still never beat it though.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Trivial Pursuit hit the campus in 1982 like a tsunami. (And remember all the knock-off games?) Because I have a mind that collects stupid facts, I was pretty good at it. Of course, I always ended up answering in the form of a question.

Which got embarrassing.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

The nice thing about those zippered backgammon boards is that they were small and robust. You just tossed 'em into your backpack. It was a social thing too. Although kibitzing was verboten, there was always a game to watch.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 14, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Kibitzing was a faux pas? Uh oh.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Go for it, MsJS. Here are some cha cha ideas for you:

some samba:

And quickstep looks fun!

Posted by: -bia- | May 14, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey, backboodling here after the errand run from h**l in a thunderstorm.

RD, backgammon is my game. I used to play with other artistans for 1 minute per point in trade for our work. Some of the best pieces I own were won in backgammon games.

68 miles is a pittance of coast line, but it all adds up. Glad Wilbrodog is such a philanthropist. Our Amazon squawks that his feathers are worthless and he's worried about his cousins along the Gulf.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, backboodling here after the errand run from h**l in a thunderstorm.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

oops, must be that lightning.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 14, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thunder, lightning and sprinkles here. TV says out TBG way there was beaucoup hail.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 14, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Forget what I said about sprinkles. Monsoon and 1/2-inch hail.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | May 14, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

nothing here in DC

Posted by: omni3 | May 14, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanx, bia!

Bruins leading Flyers 2-0 at the 6:35 mark in the 1st period.

Winner faces the Habs.

Posted by: MsJS | May 14, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

MsJS,
A Liz Lerman project; Suzanne RIchard comes in at 56.30 min

Posted by: DNA_Girl | May 14, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

New Kit. Just very very sad.

Posted by: Yoki | May 14, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse