The boudin and other cajun meat

I have really dropped the ball on reporting about my meat purchases in Cajun country last week. Before I left the state I went to the Cajun Meat Market in Houma and got some boudin, plus some andouille sausage, and carried it home on the plane. I will confess that I didn't know what boudin is before I bought some, but Friday night we barbecued it on Angus's new grill. I still don't what it is. It has rice in it, that's the only thing I can tell you.

At the Cajun Meat Market you can get things like the Deluxe Pork Chop Box ($40), which comes with 3 glazed pork chops stuffed with green onion sausage and 3 glazed pork chops stuffed with seafood sausage. Or you can get Deboned Stuffed Chickens, stuffed with crawfish dressing ($12.99) or crabmeat stuffing ($16.99). There is something called Tasso that sells from $5.99 and I'm guessing is like boudin only more enigmatic. You can buy the Turduckling Combination (turkey, chicken, duck) with seafood dressing ($59.99).

But what catches my eye are the specialty items:

Shrimp dip
Stuffed pork shops with seafood sausage
Stuffed deboned quail wrapped in bacon
Stuffed rabbit
Stuffed brisket (onions, bell pepper and garlic)
Stuffed duck breast with cream cheese and jalapenos
Stuffed cornish hens with crawfish dressing
Pesto provolone stuffed pork roast
Shishkebabs (beef, chicken, shrimp)
Hog head cheese (regular, spicy or turkey)
Crawfish boudin
Smoked gusto hams
Homemade meat pies
Alligator meat

Now tell me that don't fire up the appetite just reading about it. Almost makes you want to double-down on the Lipitor.

By Joel Achenbach  |  May 24, 2010; 7:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oil slathers Louisiana
Next: Gulf oil spill: Who's in charge?

Comments

Morning, friends. JA, you mean to tell me they Hog head cheese. Get out of here!

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 24, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Shocked. Shocked I am. They let you take andouille sausage on the plane? I thought they had special electronic sensors for that kind of stuff.

Oh well. At least it wasn't the head cheese.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Fingers can't keep up with the thoughts. I mean they had Hog head cheese. Lord, JA, where is this place again. I haven't seen or heard that expression in years. And I've eaten Hog head cheese. Plenty of it.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend. It's hard to do anything in America without thoughts going back to the oil spill. We talked about it in Sunday school yesterday. I don't think some of us understand the impact this is going to have on our lands. I'm one of them. I hoping for a good outcome, but something in me screams, it ain't happening.

That list JA, is high blood pressure maxim, especially that pork, and I'm betting the seafood is laced with pork. But it is good eating. Take your chances.

Slyness, the tomatoes are looking a tad better, but that squash plant is down for the count. Hope your weekend was good. I know y'all had the race folks in Charlotte this weekend. Was that fun?

Have a good one folks, if that's possible on a Monday. Love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 24, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I thought boudin was just pork and rice, but a quick search indicates that there is often much more to it. There was mention of "organ meats."

Perhaps some things are just better left unknown.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Bunnies???

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

RD, my mother grandmother used every inch and part of a hog, and yeah, some things are better left unknown. They even had use for the male hogs you know what. This is been some years back. Perhaps we've come to a better understanding. You think?

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 24, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Reading Joel's Cajun Market offerings list got me to anthropomorphising the food into people I know. For instance, I am assuredly a "smoked gusto ham". Time for breakfast.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

correction

My grandmother.

Posted by: cmyth4u | May 24, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle. Yes, I am alive, reasonably well for someone who has so many new holes punched in his body (none leaking, which is a good thing), and at my desk at work, ready to perform the People's Editing. Although The People don't have any at the moment. Maybe later, today, who knows.

And I see that I have a dozen or more e-mails to respond to (home computer still in the shop, though I expect to hear from them later today to inform me they need to order a new frammis which will cost more than the old banger is worth). So thank you to those of you who have e-mailed me; I shall reply throughout the day. My Blackberry battery died late Saturday, so I am possibly behind on those as well. Also, I shall have to backboodle to see what mischief you've all been up to, and to see what Joel's been writing about. I see from the headline it appears to be food-related, which is always a good thing.

I am up to about page 300 in "The Girl Who Played With Fire," which is nearly un-put-down-able. (Curiously, the paperback version I have is 724 pages long, easily twice as long as your average murder mystery, maybe even more than twice. Ostensibly it is a murder mystery, but the murders in question don't even happen until page 247. It is incredibly unusual for the "major" crime in a mystery to take place a full third of the way in, much less when that "third" is 247 pages long. But heaven knows, I'm not complaining in the slightest. Those familiar with Larsson's work know how he can burn through a couple hundred pages before he gets around to the "plot." And there's at least one other sub-plot running, and there may bve more before this ride is over.)

Fell asleep last night at 10:30, with an hour still to go in the "Lost" finale. Six freaking years of frustration following that damned thing, and I nod off just when Kate kills Locke. So I have no freaking idea how it ended (other than the near-certainty that I'm gonna be unhappy about it). Fortunately, I taped it, so I'll see how it ends tonight.

I hope there's coffee around here somewhere...

*wanders off*

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 24, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Very good to see you 'mudging around again, 'Mudge.

Oh, and you might want to turn the InterWebz off until you can watch the end of the end of "Lost" -- lotsa spoilers out there, doncha know.

*scrambling-around-before-a-quick-trip-to-the-southern-end-of-the-state Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 24, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I was semi-mudged, but since the new kit is food and not oil, you gotta go back to get my rant.

I saw Anthony Boudin at the Hippodrome on Saturday. He and Eric Ripert were talking shop in front of a paying crowd of 1800 or more. Nice work if you can get it.

Afterwards they turned the Hippo lobby (not THAT Hippo) into a gourmet sampler feast. Before my arteries choked off the blood flow to my head I had some duck confit bruschetta, Buffalo-style soft shell crabs, pork belly panini, bacon straws, asparagus gazpacho, multiple bread puddings, and more confections than you can shake a stick at.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

My wife comes from Pennsylvania Dutch stock, and her relatives were quite keen on "sweatmeats" and the like. A great Aunt had a special fondness for tripe, which I could never really, well, stomach. No matter how hard I tried.

I understand, and actually respect, the notion of not wasting any edible protein. Especially when one looks at the historical reasons behind it. But. Jeepers. I mean. I'm borderline about this whole "carnivore" business anyway. So part of me just likes to think of meat as an amorphous substance that arises spontaneously in the store.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Oops I meant "Sweetmeats." Although, to me, "sweatmeats" wouldn't be much worse.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I loved the end of Lost. Come one, when Sawyer wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette after they sell the island and everyone gets fired except Hurley who writes out "Goodbye" with seashells.

Classic.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

And in in the "Good News For Those Among Us Who Want Our Doctors to be Ethical, Professional and Most of All, Correct" Dept:

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 24, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

It's a good thing I backboodled. Yoki? Slyness? We're *on* to go crash Ivansmom's next party. I'm all packed, including my passport (after all, it *is* a "red state" and I'm as blue as can be).

Oh, Mudgie -- so glad you're hospital-free and back at it. BTW, the WaPo has a nice review of the third book in today's dead tree edition. A rave review, in fact. It makes me want to read all three books all over again. And Frosti -- glad you liked the movie. I'll bet you anything that Stieg Larsson hadn't the faintest idea (or maybe not even the intention) that his books would be such an international sensation.

I don't think I ever saw an episode of Lost, nor did I bother to watch the finale last night, so I can't tell ya what happened, Mudge. I know I fell asleep during something. Just can't remember what.

BTW, I'm now reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis. I've only just started, but I have burst out laughing over and over again. And all this is about a very painful subject. Lewis is terrific!

All for now. Toodley Boodley

Posted by: -ftb- | May 24, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of local foods, Dr G and I attended a Ramp Festival in White Top Mtn, Va., last weekend. We listened to some fine fiddlin' music and enjoyed a delicious chicken dinner, topped with a few fresh ramps.

What's a ramp? It's like a cross between an onion and a garlic and is found growing freely in the mountains there. It has such a strong flavor, I don't think I'll be biting into one ever again.

Posted by: -TBG- | May 24, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I wouldn't want you to suffer unnecessary suspense-related heart palpitations, so let me give you a synopsis: at the end, after a rousing and surreal insurrection while "All you Need is Love" is the only sound heard over the machine-gun fire, McGoohan, the Butler, and the formerly-dead-but-not-really Leo McKern escape the island on a private train and go to London, where Leo steps off a bus and enters normal life as an office-worker and McGoohan returns to his former home, where he is now aided by the Butler as he picks up the pieces of life. Has he been victorious against the Initiative, or will Adam reconstruct him into a part-man/part-demon monster? Ultimately, you know that the Slayer will be triumphant, for nothing will defeat her noble spirit. In just a couple more seasons, however, the Hell-mouth will be closed forever, then the Slayer will head to Cleveland.

Posted by: ScienceTim | May 24, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Having never watched an episode of Lost, I figured last night was the perfect time to jump in. That way I wasn't prejudiced with any expectations. I saw a lot of punching and a lot of kissing. My only question is: How did Hurley get to Tatooine to start the Hutt clan?

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Strange news this morning: Brittany Murphy's husband was found dead in their home...

Posted by: -TBG- | May 24, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

Still need to frolic through the last few days' boodles to catch up now that CasaJS is free of house guests.

I gotta admit most Cajun delicacies are wasted on me. I shall defer to those who truly relish the experience.

It's s'posed to hit 90 here today. Tres chaud, but I'm gonna enjoy it anyhoo.

I managed to avoid every episode of "Lost". Hope those who liked it found the ending worthwhile. Did they all wake up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette or did the ocean liner that rescued them hit an iceberg and sink?

Posted by: MsJS | May 24, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I just want to know how Patrick Duffy fit so many people into his shower.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

When I saw Scottynuke's mention of the new Kit I asked myself, "Who the heck is Boudini?"

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

All I learned from the final "Lost" episode is that Kirk's buried under a pile of rocks on some backwater planet, and Frodo got on some sort of big boat to get off the island (which was more like Australia, come to think of it).

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

TBG! welcome home!

I'm maintaining my perfect record--I've never watched Lost.

Flyer fever is high here today in Philadelphia. What did I hear on the radio about some gritty substance being picked up by skate blades, requiring resharpening (during the last game)?

Posted by: -dbG- | May 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

that this story would be posted on the same day as this kit is quite coincidental.
fortunately, this gentleman was not injured.

Posted by: -jack- | May 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Okay, maybe the shrimp dip, but the other items just seem a bit too rich for me.

Mudge, glad you're back. I gave up on Lost after the first two seasons, it just got way too weird for me. So I really don't care what happened to them all.

Another beautiful day here but I have chores to do. Of course they're easier to do with sunshine out the window!

Posted by: badsneakers | May 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

there we go. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the djs are yelling about.

Posted by: -dbG- | May 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh, crap. Now you've all ruined the ending for me. Especially the part about Susan Pleshette and Leo McKern in the shower. I never saw that coming, I swear.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 24, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

dbG, I'm another "Lost" eschewer and my son never lets me off the hook about it. He swears he's going to bring all the back season DVDs and force me into a marathon viewing session.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I watched a couple of episodes in the middle of the first season, and realized that it was kind of pointless without having seen the early episodes, so I gave it up as a "Lost" cause. Then, sometime in the middle of the second season, a buddy lent me the first season on DVD, and I was riveted. It was like video crack! I stayed up ridiculously late watching multiple episodes.

Of course, it was then the middle of another season, and I wasn't even going to try, and that's where I stand. Loved the first season, basically haven't seen any of it since.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm still miffed they didn't tell us where Dr. Smith and the robot ended up...

Posted by: Scottynuke | May 24, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

My favorite part of the Lost finale was when they all group-hugged and sang "It's a Long Way to Tipperary."

Posted by: -TBG- | May 24, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You're making be hungry Joel. Boudin in the French sense is either boudin noir/blood pudding (or blood sausage if it is stuffed in a tube/pork intestine) or boudin blanc, a sausage made with lard, pork, bread, eggs and cream seasoned with onions and shallots stuffed in tubes/pork intestines. Boudin blanc is a traditional meal for the Holiday season. I love both.

I believe Cajuns have a more extensive definition for boudin.

My mother made hog head cheese and fantastic blood pudding until it became difficult to get blood and hogs' heads...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | May 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

You know you are a true carnivore when you come back from the butcher with a quart of fresh pig's blood.

I thought I saw Bob Newhart waking up alongside Evangelne Lilly in the Lost finale...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | May 24, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad there are no shrimp near Chernobyl or they'd be hitting the stores about now, with masterfully fake provenance.

Dave, I suspect the Florida tar balls about 30 years ago were from Ixtoc I. ('79) It really was a massive spill. Unsure, though.

Get weller, Mudge.

I think there is a place for offal, in the bellies of our carnivorous pets. I have tried chitlins and even I was defeated. Same with menudo. This is head-hanging shameful for me. But true.

The Filipino version sounds delightful in comparison.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 24, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Bourdain gets a lot of mileage about the time he got violently ill from undercooked pig rectum.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This report done prior to Deepwater Horizon spill.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I've actually eaten "blood pudding" in Sweden. Several times, in fact. It's kinda tangy and you're supposed to eat it with lingonberries. Since it's pig blood, I never admitted it to a rabbi.

Wouldn't eat it today.

Shriek, a very, very long time ago a friend gave me a book of French-Canadian recipes. I do collect cookbooks, and I appreciated the gesture. But having looked through it several times, I swear that I could *never* make anything from it. The recipes include an overwhelming portion of lard, and just looking at your description of black and white sausages, it just makes me want to go make a salad. Which I will do in about 20 minutes.

But do enjoy all that yourself. Not my cuppa tea, yanno?

Posted by: -ftb- | May 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'd guess that pig's blood pudding is up near the top of the list of foods that are haram / treif.

Your imam and rabbi definitely don't want to know about it.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but here is a first hand account of both the extent of the beach contamination and of the BP press controls. I hope Joel isn't being corralled at the meat market.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

That pig rectum wasn't just undercooked, yello. Did you see that episode? They squeezed the, er.. contents.. out of the wild boar's rectum WITH NO WATER IN SIGHT and cooked it. No rinsing, no washing. Made me sick just watching.

Posted by: -TBG- | May 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Yummy... must be lunch time.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I did miss that episode. Comcast never carried the Travel Channel so that was part of the reason to switch to FiOS. Anthony said he ate it out of respect for the chief.

He also refused to apologize to Bawlmer for making it look like a bombed-out urban combat zone. He had the gall to actually go outside the Inner Harbor area and turn on the camera.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

yello, thank you for the mother jones link.

I guessed that something like that was going on.

Posted by: MsJS | May 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean to tell me B'more isn't all old boat tours and dolphin shows? *gasp*

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

yello - I was so amused & baffled by one of the comments on the Mother Jones piece that I felt compelled to reply:

------------------------

Great job, Mac!
Submitted by NJHighlands (not verified) on Mon May. 24, 2010 6:28 AM PDT.

I continue to be amazed by the lack of outrage nationally about this crisis - hopefully reports like this will start exposing BP for the demons that they are!

- - - -
Lack of outrage
Submitted by Bob S. (not verified) on Mon May. 24, 2010 9:56 AM PDT.

There may be a lack of good information getting out, but there's plenty of outrage. Have you read a newspaper/magazine/website in the past few weeks?

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Mother Jones piece (thanks, yello) and my reaction is the same as that sheriff's. I'm mad enough to swear and spit, too.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon all. Don't watch much television, so Lost is lost on me.

Tasso's good stuff.

TBG, ramps (rampion) is what got Rapunzel's dad into trouble.

If there's great northern beans around, that list of specialty items looks like it would allows great leftovers for cassoulet.

And now I'm hungry.

Have a happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | May 24, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi, guys. Been pre-occupied recently with more pressing matters, namely friend wife's B-day - one of those Big Zeros. Did the brunch cruise on the Odyessy on Saturday, followed by a very nice dinner at Panache, down by the Mayflower. Yesterday was the matinee for "The Liar" at the Lansburgh (great show,BTW), then dinner again at La Ferme in Chevy Chase. We sat near the piano player, and he plied us with requests for old standards. A fine time was had by all. Reading all those menu items takes me back to our Cajun/Zydeco dancing days. Tornado Alley used to feature some Cajun-style cooking - most generally a little too hot for my liking. As payback, I have to work late tonight and probably Wednesday night, then hope to head off to the 'Burg Thursday after work for a good 4-day holiday.

Posted by: ebtnut | May 24, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, how's about this shocker:

"U.S. agency overseeing oil drilling ignored warnings of risks"

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 24, 2010; 11:47 AM

"The federal agency responsible for regulating offshore oil drilling repeatedly ignored warnings from government scientists about environmental risks in its push to approve energy exploration activities quickly, according to numerous documents and interviews.

"Minerals Management Service officials, who receive cash bonuses for meeting federal deadlines on leasing offshore oil and gas exploration, frequently altered their own documents and bypassed legal requirements aimed at ensuring drilling does not imperil the marine environment, the documents show.

"This has dramatically weakened the scientific checks on offshore drilling that were established under landmark laws such as the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the National Environmental Policy Act, according to those who have worked with MMS, which is part of the Interior Department.

"It's a war between the biologists and the engineers," said Thomas A. Campbell, who served as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's general counsel under George H.W. Bush. "They just have a very different worldview, and sometimes the engineers simply don't listen to the biologists."

--------

I know you're all as amazed as I am.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Top story (wapo online - Eilperin, 11:47am) on MMS where the manure is hitting the fan. Scientists' reports were deleted or circumvented to allow industry operations to proceed, allowing oil companies to assess the environmental impact of their operations rather than the regulatory agencies, etc. ad nauseum.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

BOO

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ebtnut, La Ferme is one of my favorite restaurants, even though it's been a few years since I've been there.

And, yes indeedy, I am so shocked that industry under Little Boy's administration circumvented the scientists and environmentalists.

When my mother died, I paid tribute at her grave and told her that she would now go on to make fossil fuel and diamonds. These guys will go on to make cockroaches.

*sigh*

Posted by: -ftb- | May 24, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

talitha, Nah... I'd chalk that one up as "great minds think alike."

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Great mimes think alike. Or as Marcel Marceau used to say, "

"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | May 24, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, glad you're up & around.

Joel, all of that sounds delicious. I do like Cajun & southern food -- seafood, meat & greens. Sweetmeats, too. And isn't that three-fowl course called 'Turducken' as opposed to "Turduckling?"

Used to know an Swedish lady in Baltimore who sold homemade blood sausage. Good stuff.

And to LiT's comment, the Cajun Meat Market specialty item leftovers from the sound like the start of a delicious cassoulet. I'm not skilled enough for that, but think I could whip up a righteous chili.

A tip -- if you get a choice between red and grey kangaroo, go with the red, it's less gamey to me, but still very interesting.

I love being at my end of the food chain.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | May 24, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I see the front page makes mention of the passing of Buz Lukens, a distinguished member of the Congressional Prison Caucus.

Posted by: Bob-S | May 24, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

When I think duck breast, the first dressing that comes to mind is cream cheese. We are talking serious fat content there.

Posted by: russianthistle | May 24, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: russianthistle | May 24, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Remember when ostrich farming was supposed the next big thing? I actually once had some ostrich burgers. Pretty good actually. Didn't taste a thing like chicken.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | May 24, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I still regret letting my four-year-old son try gator nuggets. I had to order another batch. He still won't eat shrimp and now for good reason.

I had some excellent oysters at the Foodie Experience Saturday but now I'm going to be more careful about their origin. Best family reunion we ever had involved an afternoon of mopeding and Gulf oyster slurping.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

You can still find ostrich at some burger joints. I wonder what alpaca tastes like.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Sweetbreads, surely?

Posted by: Yoki | May 24, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I always capitalize Cajun. I'm too tired to look it up.

I like the line "Where's the outrage?"

I'm researching "bucket shops" and "panic of 1907" today but don't know how much longer. The way I feel, Iron Man 2 will be about right.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 24, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that relying on outrage fatigue is a major component of BP's long term PR strategy.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, earlier in the story there were reminders of a similar incident off Australia and I noted that six months + later the investigation is incomplete.

Posted by: Jumper1 | May 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

yello, the farmer's market up the road where I live sells ostrich meat and eggs supplied by the "ranch" nearby. Ostrich is closer in taste to beef than chicken in my experience. There's also an alpaca and llama ranch nearby but I've never seen the meat for sale. Alpaca, being a goat, would be of similar taste I suspect.

You're saying your son liked the gator, right? I've had turtle, rattlesnake and froglegs (yum) but never gator.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: -bia- | May 24, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little late on the Anthony Bourdain/pig parts thread, but here goes:

Rectum? It nearly killed 'im!

-rimshot-

Posted by: Gomer144 | May 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Perusing the Rhodes family tree this weekend, after reading Joel's blogs from New Orleans, I was please to discover that some near relatives, maybe only 4 or 5 times removed, decamped for La. in the mid 1800s. Perhaps it is time to go look up the kin folk, yes?

After our marriage, my spousal partner took me on the grand tour of her friends and relations. Everyone trotted out the holiday specials. This being in French Catalonia, the food was superb. However, there is always one joker. Jean Louis offered me the blood sausage with a gleam in his eye. I think it was a test. As a trained anthropologist, I was prepared to cope with almost anything as long as I saw someone else swallow it first. Now they serve us feasts but without the blood sausage, which suits fine.

And can some one tell me why all the sources insist on some weird theory for the name on Rhode Island concerning a Dutch sea captain, red clay, and corruption of "Roodt Eylandt", or taking the Greek island of Rhodes as a namesake, when the state is filled with so many people with the surname of Rhodes?

Posted by: j3hess | May 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Here is a different kind of front page alert: today I found JA's story on the front page of my local newspaper. What a treat.

Posted by: gmbka | May 26, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse