Oil spill pushes sharks, giant squid, sea monsters to shore

What this oil spill needs desperately is more hysteria. This AOL News piece is actually quite straightforward and gave the headline writer the excuse to fashion something saying, in effect, Oily Sharks Nosh On Florida Swimmers.

My computer's freakin' on me so this will be short. Read my story this morning. Upshot is: Major political theater going on, lots of gamespersonship. For political reasons, BP has to let Obama win a round or two. The company is beating a strategic retreat to ensure that it doesn't get stuck with the tab from every oil company that goes out of business and every rig hand who loses wages because of Obama's drilling moratorium.

At the same time, BP is pushing back on the technological front (via Mike Allen). Mike says the administration is encouraged by the response, but read the letter: There's some drawing of the line in the sand here, or on the water, more precisely. It's getting dangerously crowded at the sea surface with all those ships and all the gas being flared. More oil and gas will be flared when the Q4000 starts drawing hydrocarbons via the choke and kill lines that were used in the top kill.

Yeah, jargon, I know....

[more to come...]

By Joel Achenbach  |  June 14, 2010; 10:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Abby Sunderland rescued
Next: Mysterious structure at bottom of gulf

Comments

It broke my heart when Disneyworld shut down the 20,000 Leagues ride. Getting attacked by a giant squid was one of the best parts of a trip to The Mouse.

And remember that dolphins are just gay sharks.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Mr. A, Thad Allen was talking about the new BP solution being able to siphon/flare/othersise deal with 50,000 bbls/day.

Does that imply there's new data to suggest the leak rate is close to that level?

Posted by: MsJS | June 14, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

SCC:
'otherwise deal with'
'there are new data'

Trying to multitask. Sorry.

Posted by: MsJS | June 14, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid"s name is an anagram of "Odd Dingo Guru" and "Druid Dung Goo". I'm sure that must be significant.

Posted by: bobsewell | June 14, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It sure is nice when somebody makes you laugh on a grey Monday morning.

Posted by: gmbka | June 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

It would imply that they think the level is no more than that. But their record at underestimating the leak is pretty well established.

Basically the ships can do about 20,000 bbl per day each and the Q-4000 can do another 5,000. Their final line-up will be two ships doing up to 20,000 each with a third ship hanging around just in case one ship has to take a break.

Their current tanker only holds 100,000 gallons, so it will be doing nothing but shuttling back and forth until the big 750,000 gallon tankers show up later this month.

Again, that these assets are not already on-site indicates one or more of three things:

1. BP had a misplaced confidence in the top-kill attempt and didn't think they were going to be capturing oil if it worked.

2. BP grossly underestimated the spill flow and got caught with their pants down underequipped.

3. Poor contingency management resulted in not calling for more equipment early enough. For example, they should have had a back-up to the Discoverer Enterprise long before now because if anything happened to it, all their capture capacity went away.

BP has consistently underestimated the effort needed in both material and time. The second relief well was under Allen's insistence and it is two weeks behind the first well. If a third relief well is needed, we are back to the starting gate, hopefully with enough capture capacity to bide the time.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Steven Chu = such event!

My impression is that often the larger an organization becomes the less innovation occurs. Thus for them "too big to fail" becomes synonymous with "too big to succeed." Such organizations seem to have a soft spot for creative theft, however.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I hope the pop quiz is soon while I'm retaining all that info reasonably well. Mr.A/Boodle's weeks of tutoring have been invaluable as background.

Poor little shark.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

TBG, I *applaud* you for your support for your daughter's potential future in studying in NYC. Some people automatically take to the city and some people, well, don't. I'm sorta in between, not only about NYC itself, but big cities in general. I lived in downtown Stockholm and adored it, but I loved being in the countryside, as well. Your daughter will do stupendously up there, as she already has the survivor skills near at hand. And a tremendous mom, to boot.

As for the Tony Awards show last night, I felt compelled to switch over to the basketball game after hearing the first few notes from Zeta-Jones. Yuck. I have no idea what to think of Scarlett Johanson's Broadway debut, but I felt a little "why now" when she won the award -- especially in the company of such tremendous actresses in her category. But then, perhaps I would have felt "What? Again???" if Angela Lansbury had won. Even if she is deserving.

Nevertheless, Kristin Chenoweth is a hoot-and-a-half. She is clearly more talented than God, and was terrific last night. A breath of fresh air after all the conceit.

Posted by: -ftb- | June 14, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

For those of you that don't follow my Twitter stream, last night I said that for ten seconds there I wanted to be Sean Hayes. And not the part where he was dressed up as Little Orphan Annie or SpiderMan.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

ftb, I join you in *applause* for TBG's support for her daughter. I launched my son in a similar spirit of confidence and caution and all has been well across every continent but Antarctica. (Still waiting for that trip to happen)

on kit - I noticed in the letter that BP is working on "contingency plans" as to the best methods to release dispersants in the vicinity of the gusher should containment operations cease during a hurricane. *blowing raspberries* More chemicals to the mix sounds like adding more soap to the already overflowing washing machine, to construct a very bad metaphor.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

SCC: make that "simile", not "metaphor".

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Some of the best jokes last night involved that fact that neither Kristen Chenoweth, Nathan Lane, nor Bebe Neuwirth were nominated.

I was impressed that Katie Finneran beat out some very high name recognition competition for best featured actress in a musical for her role as a barfly of loose moral convictions in Promises, Promises. She was truly hysterical the entire time she was on stage.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

talitha,
They have a lot of eggs in those containment caps. And during hurricanes, everything is back to nothing.

There is some serious kabuki going on. BP announces a plan with greater flexibility and redundancy. The gummint gets all irate and demands a plan with greater flexibility and redundancy. BP presents their plan with greater flexibility and redundancy. Pretty well choreographed bluster if you ask me.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. Did I say last night that I hoped it would rain soon and release the moisture from the air? I have been punished. The official gauge two miles from us measured nine inches of rain since 5 this morning. We are on a hill, so nothing is coming into the house. However, there are streams all over, the driveway is a river going downhill, and the bottom of the dog yard is a lake. It is a good thing we mowed yesterday.

More seriously, the creek the driveway feeds into has overtopped its banks by twenty or thirty feet on all sides (it flows under a highway frontage road intersection). An hour and a half ago it hadn't topped the road but I bet it has now. That creek flows into a river which has very deep banks, but has overtopped them, again, by thirty feet or more. When I drove across it earlier this morning it had not topped the bridge but, again, I wouldn't be surprised if it has now. A culvert drains into a nearby yard, and the water knocked over several feet of their iron fence. I have never seen this water this high.

I tried to get to work today and failed. If the rain stops and things go down a little I may try to get in just to get something to work on, since we're supposed to have more rain tonight. The storm system just keeps regenerating; every time we think the rain has stopped, surprise! Glug. Glug.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I *know* it's back to nothing in a hurricane, yello. That's why the dispersant part of the letter struck me. And it's when, not if, for a hurricane.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Stay safe and dry, I-mom!!! :-O

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Stay dry, Ivansmom. Don't risk washed out roads.

Parts of the Deepwater Horizon washing up on Panama City:

Now we know how long it takes a sunk drilling rig to reach shore.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I've been watching the news about the flashflood rescues happening in OK City this morning and worrying about you. Be safe.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks y'all. It is just amazing. The dangerous thing is not just the high water, but that it is all moving really fast. I haven't seen any announcement that non-essential state gummint workers should stay home, but the city officials told us to get the heck off the roads. That is good enough for me.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 14, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear you're high and dry for now, I-mom. Hope the rest of the day goes as well or better.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 14, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, all we know for certain is that I-mom is dry, Wilbrod... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

We'll just wait for the psychedelic bunny boodling to begin, S'nuke.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Go ask Alice
when she's ten feet tall
???

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dry is good. Be safe, I'mom. They'll manage without you for a few days.

I changed my July vacation dates because of a major implementation the next week. It's not my implementation, but many of my systems interface with the new one. Now I'm taking next week off. It's hard to remember a time at the old job where I could take a week. Although I'll still be on call, it's an improvement here.

Talitha, the garage was the start. I'm moving to the house now and I think I can get it done. I'm streamlining and changing a few rooms' functions. I think the downstairs den will become a bedroom, the upstairs gallery the jewelry studio.

TBG and I were discussing this last night. I'm not one of those people who easily do a little bit a day. Sometimes I'd like to be.

Vacation Thursday afternoon I'll be baking cupcakes for a birthday party for all children attending a camp forxa program I support.

Posted by: -dbG- | June 14, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hee hee hee...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

A sunk drilling rig will never wash ashore, any more than the Titanic, the Bismarck, the Lexington, the Thresher, or the Bon Homme Richard will one day wash ashore. Anything sunk in 5,000 of water will stay there. Otherwise all the ships sunk in WWI and WWII would have washed ashore by now, to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands of ships sunk before that in human history.

If the tank came off the rig, it didn't sink; it has been floating for the past two months. At worst, it had neutral buoyancy; it never sank. It was a tank or drum of some sort; it was never part of the rig., and never attached to it.

Anything that comes off of a shipwreck (or drilling rig wreck) is technically called "flotsam." But things that sink generally stay very sunk.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of being driven to shore (and I'm sure I saw him in some previous boodles).

"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound He pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

***

World Cup has successfully taken my mind off this. Sort of.

I'm a bit behind (only partially backboodled)- when were the other oil execs testifying or making statements? Because this is going to have serious repercussions on the whole oil industry. Regulators and governments can now point at a catstrophic event in the multibillion dollar range of damages and they can no longer claim it is not plausible. This is an event that will have to inform the safety and environmental impact analyses for decades to come. They should be finished as far as lightening any controls anywhere. Even if they throw BP under the bus and accuse them of gross incompetence and negligence it shouldn't save them from stricter regulation.

Posted by: qgaliana | June 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So if it falls off a plane, is it jetsam?

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I came up with the $1000/barrel bounty first:

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Derelict or ligan?

Posted by: -tao- | June 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Thinking of flotsam, AP has the tale of a little waterproof camera, a Nikon, that floated from Aruba to Key West, bringing pictures with it.

Joel is doing a good job at the fox thing (as opposed to hedgehog, in the sense of Isaiah Berlin). Is there such a thing as a hedgehog reporter? I doubt it. I also doubt that Japanese foxes (as in Kurosawa's 'Sunshine through the rain' segment of 'Dreams') are Berlin foxes.

A coastal expert from North Carolina has an op-ed piece in the New York Times today. It's a useful reminder that building sand berms in Louisiana to protect marshes is a dubious idea, and it will be useful to monitor results. The necessary permits for the berm project have already been issued. USGS even produced an Open-File Report on the berm proposal in what must be record time.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Nope, not derelict, not ligan.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

William Blackstone, at paragraph 292 of his Commentaries on the Laws of England, Book I, wrote eloquently:

"... in order to constitute a legal wreck, the goods must come to land. If they continue at sea, the law distinguishes them by the barbarous and uncouth appellations of jetsam, flotsam and ligan.

"Jetsam is where goods are cast into the sea and there sink and remain under water.

"Flotsam is where they continue swimming on the surface of the waves.

"Ligan is where they are sunk in the sea, but tied to a cork or buoy in order to be found again."

Posted by: -tao- | June 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Flotsam is where they continue swimming on the surface of the waves."

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. Give portions to seven, yes to eight, for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.
Ecclesiastes 11:1-2

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Item 3:

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Flotsom?
I've got some.
Jetsam?
I'll get some.

Ogden Nash

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe after the drill platform flotsam sank, the barnacles and sea growth (swimming with all their little might) towed it to shore.

Posted by: bobsewell | June 14, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hi Yoki. I liked your comment last night about the ages and stages of authentic beauty.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

...except that Blackstone is slightly wrong, Shiloh, and he died 230 years ago, and we now use a slightly different definition. Jetsam is something that is deliberately abandoned or thrown overboard. Flotsam is stuff that goes overboard by accident. It all has to do with intentionality and deliberateness.

Admiratly law was introduced into England by Eleanor of Aquitaine (think Katherine Hepburn in "The Lion in Winter") about 500 years before Blackstone, and it was already well defined and its major tenets fixed by the time of Blackstone. (Two of Blackstone's contemporaries, Alexander Hamilton and John Adams, were both admiralty lawyers, and bailed out John Hancock from time to time on his admiralty cases.)

Unlike civil, landlubbery law, admiralty law in those days didn't use trial by jury, as civil and common law did. This disturbed the U.S. founding fathers, and the result was the 7th amendment guaranteeing trial by jury in all cases, not just landlubber cases. So in effect they deep-sixed (q.v.) the admiralty no-trial-by-jury thing.

Ligan (aka lagan) is something lost or abandoned at sea that has been marked by a buoy, for later salvage.

There is an alternate definition that says jetsam sinks while flotsam floats, but this definition is little or never used any more. The easy nmemonic is that jetsam is jettisoned, while flotsam floats away all by itself. If you throw garbage overboard, that's jetsam. If your bass boat sinks out from under you, leaving only a dozen floating beer cans, your Cabela's catalog, and KFC friend chicken slick, that's flotsam.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Lagen is also a major river in Counties Antrim and Down.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

If you cast your bread upon the waters, shrink2, that makes it jetsam, not flotsam. If the ducks eat it, it eventually becomes duck poop, which is also jetsam, unless you sneak up on the duck and scare the crap out of him, in which case it becomes flotsam.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

flotsam and jetsam
by e. e. cummings

flotsam and jetsam
are gentlemen poeds
urseappeal netsam
our spinsters and coeds)

thoroughly bretish
they scout the inhuman
itarian fetish
that man isn't wuman

vive the millenni
um three cheers for labor
give all things to enni
one bugger thy nabor

(neck and senecktie
are gentlemen ppoyds
even whose recktie
are covered by lloyd's

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that last bit be chum, 'Mudge?

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The KFC bit, I meant...

Although duck poop probably works too.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

All chum is jetsam, Scotty, but not all jetsam is chum.

Words to live by.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?
Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!
Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?
Peasant 1: Bread.
Peasant 2: Apples.
Peasant 3: Very small rocks.
Peasant 1: Cider.
Peasant 2: Gravy.
Peasant 3: Cherries.
Peasant 1: Mud.
Peasant 2: Churches.
Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!
King Arthur: A Duck.
Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.
Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
Peasant 2: ...A witch!

Do I have to do all the heavy lifting around here.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Not an earth-shattering surprise, but Paraguay leads Italy 1-0 with about 6 mintues left in the half.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Sooooo, then is oil spilt by BP flotsam or jetsam?
Provided it floats, of course.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

talitha, it's what the nieces used to call "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww" when they were younger.

Posted by: MsJS | June 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Talitha, you have mail.

Posted by: -dbG- | June 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't bandy legs with Mudge over what sunk means, Yellojkt.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 14, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Oil leak = Flotsam = Unintentional.

Bulls--- exuded by BP execs = jetsam, like duck poop.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Hi T. Loved the fabric lesson of last boodle. Low reflectivity in fabric is slimming, as you say. The right kind of velvet and some velveteen is a lovely way to be winter elegant and a true column of beauty.

I was thinking a moment ago about swimsuit fabric. The first swimming innovation came from the Jantzen company of Portland, Oregon. Their fine knit yield the elastic fine hand of the classic modern swim suit.

Here is a early version:

Here is the next phase, circa 1937, of the trunked man and the sheathed woman:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

DingDingDing, mudge. Since I was being facetious, that's just the answer I was looking for. ;)

Check, dbG.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is the swimsuit stuff useful? Look for Jantzen brand wear in the next season of Man Men. Also, in HBO's Pacific, you could catch a glimpse.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

And then there are the stylish suits modeled by former Merlin Gubnor William Donald Schaefer;

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

That looks kinda like me and Mary Pickford the time I took her to Coney island, CqP.

(She was a Canucki, yanno. Born in Toronto. Then Fairbanks came along, and I was history. *sigh*)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"The trunked man." Sounds like a murder mystery title, CqP.

Setting: a trunked man found in a theatrical wardrobe closet, run through with knitting needles....

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 14, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Every once in awhile, things go your way:

I put a dollar in the vending machine to get some chips, and hit the proper buttons. the screw turned, but the chip bag was held back by neighboring products. The machine must have a photocell sensor to determine if nothing drops, because it tried again after a couple seconds. The bags were held back again. Third time was the charm, so now I'm sharing the wealth with the office.

:-)))

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

CqP, I've been having trouble with linking today but will try again later. Yes, Jantzen were extraordinarily innovative in their fabric and designs. The use of latex, rubber, spandex revolutionized clothing construction in ways never seen in history.

Had a giggle when shrink brought up rodeo riders wearing lame. So much of what passes for "lame" now are icky synthetics and make the real thing worth it's literal weight in silver or gold!

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, thanks. Now I can start the mystery series based on fashion, coauthored with Talitha.

The Trunked Man
The Pleather Pleasure Chronicals
Naugahyde: A Faux Beau of sorts
Velvet Ropes
Lame Lament
A Problem with her Pique
Lace and Lavender

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Haven't tried this, but this article talks about a site that may allow our Friends to the North watch our TV and vice versa...

Posted by: -TBG- | June 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but I watched some of the World Cup for the first time yesterday. The horns are distracting. What is vuvuzela anyway? It sounds like a Yiddish word for a woman's naughty parts.

As in:

Ever since you made me ride that fakakta moped, my vuvuzela has been kiling me!

Posted by: steveboyington | June 14, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm back. Ivansdad and I ventured out about noon. Much of the water in the main part of the city had receded enough to drive. The rain stopped while we were out. It was only a brief respite, though, as there is a thunderstorm now and a long line of rain and storms extending to the southwest, all of which will probably pass through here. Slightly northeast of my house, and again in the far north and northwest parts of the city and county, the water is very high and the currents are very strong.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 14, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of vuvuzelas, Italy's tied it up against Paraguay.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

steveb, here's a photo.

Posted by: MsJS | June 14, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

steveb - and all of you - someone has posted a new definition of vuvuzela on Wikipedia that says it all. (steve, the other name for them is lepatata. Wanta make something of that one?)

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Steveb-- my first thought, too. it's some kind of long plastic horn noisemaker that can go 131 decibels when used.

...I'll let you decide whether your mental image is still intact after that information.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The horns are the top controversy of the cup so far, most of the German players having practiced in their national league play (see, I did not use any German) with the new ball for weeks before the cup games started is running a distant second.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

CpQ -

The Trousseau Enigma
The Twist of the Tweed
A Case of Bombazine

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

CpQ -

The Trousseau Enigma
The Twist of the Tweed
A Case of Bombazine

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

SCC: CqP
And they weren't 'that' good the first time.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

T, they are perfect.

The Case of the Pleated Reticule

Plise and Voile: Twins Abroad

A Tale of Two Satins: Stripped and Watered

Moleskin Vested: A Banker goes Underground

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Sleveless: A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Belt Tolls
"Oh, Nick, You're Such a Toule" (obscure Firesign Theater reference; variant, Toile)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Toile. TOILE. Could it be heavy (breathing) linen toile? Antique?

Died and gone to heaven.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Pollution problems are a global threat!

Shen Guoxian, 60, said: "These people are here to shoot naked pictures, which is too dirty and polluting to the environment."

Posted by: kguy1 | June 14, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of reticules, CqP, I've made more than a few, as the ladies of the boodle may soon discover if there are any takers.

Serge and Donegal Meet Moire'
Counterpane Fantasies
Butternut and Indigo: Vests at War

And a musical number: Fur et Lace

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

T, can't wait to meet you.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Hi kids.

Home from a short vacation, only to find I'm busier than ever.

Last I checked, Sigmund the Sea Monster was reasonably comfortable on land, though I expect he'll have some trouble getting the oil out of his ears.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | June 14, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

YJ...in re your post this morning. It seems to me that yep, BP grossly underestimated. But I think this is a case of asking the wrong person. If you want a special dessert, you talk with the pastry chef, not the manager. Or the butcher. If you want to know about a car, you ask the mechanic, not the sales guy. The people answering these questions, deciding what numbers go out to the public, which resources are needed, are more likely grads of Harvard Business or Wharton than MIT.

About the money....The families of the 11 men will probably be offered the usual (the life insurance they carried, with the accidental death clause kicking in. One year's salary times 2.5?) Beyond that, I think the US needs to be very careful that they don't get painted as setting different standards for foreign corporations than they hold for their own. Union Carbide's payout was roughly what it had in insurance coverage (plus interest while they argued in court) and a hospital with (some) free medical care for those affected. The financial burdens fell predominantly on the local subsidiary, not the foreign parent. At this point, BP can still be called an accident, where Bhopal was an accident waiting to happen.

In the current situation, going after the foreign parent has special economic implications for the British. Our friend. It's likely the political dance associated with this one issue will be handed over to the next president, and the next. Obama wants the US to be Fred Astaire and lead, so he's going to need to gracefully dance the first waltz without missing either a beat or a step all the while making eyes at his partner. Our best bet is if he makes this a problem the two governments need to address together, not one in which two adversaries are trying to hoist it off onto the other.

I'mom, glad you're good-to-go, and hope that all remains well with you and yours.

Posted by: LostInThought | June 14, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a stunning revelation...

"If all goes as planned, by mid-July BP should have the capacity to handle 60,000 barrels to 80,000 barrels by connecting the Discoverer Enterprise and a second, similar ship to a new, tighter containment cap, Mr. [Baghdad Bob] Suttles wrote." NYT

So, we know the actual flow rate out of the chopped off BOP will be litigated, it has to be. But the flow committee estimate was 25,000bbl max or something like that, from the original bent riser and they are preparing to collect 60-80k by mid July...well, I am no math whiz, but, lets put it this way, if BP was made and still is an equal partner in the Unified Command, maybe that decision should get litigated too.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

CqP, and thee.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"The loud trumpets called vuvuzelas will continue to be allowed for the time being at the World Cup" http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/sports/soccer/15horns.html?hp

We call them Trompettes du Carnaval in Quebec city. http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/trompette/id339015626?mt=8

I learned a new word reading the Time yesterday; fascinator. It's a woman's hat. The Queen wore one to a wedding recently. It's worth a google image search.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 14, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

shrink2,
I think BP finally saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to go to the other side of the bell curve for determining equipment needs.

80k would require every ship they are throwing at this to all be working at once. Since one is a back-up and they really shouldn't be using the Q4000 more than they have to, the real capacity is around 50k.

I'd be surprised if it ever got to over 40k a day, but we have yet to know the true upper end here.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I have an antique evening bag that is a sort of gold chainmail reticule. I love it so.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I have a reticule on my scope that allows me to pop the head off a gopher at 200'. Yeah, I'm just kidding, I use Have-a-Heart traps, I relocate them offshore, just kidding, I poison them with, just kidding.
Shouldn't have brought it up.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

The fascinator hat, SD, is to catch your attention. Typically very small, they pack a punch with some architectural element: perched at odd angle, ikebana geometry in feathers, atypical ornament....see this famous one that I think is, finally, unsuccessful:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

SD, here is a modern and chic one:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

SD, I once costumed many dancers with some theatrical stay-put version of fascinators. Was a mixed abilities dance company doing Suess's The Lorax: Who Speaks for the Trees.

Lots of wires so that the feathers bobbled and swooshed in Suessian (Brownian motion)? The lead was played by a bass profoundo singer in a wheel chair.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

SD, do you mean this image of the blessed, staid, pockebook Queen?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, I hope that snack machine runs on atomic energy.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 14, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

SD, many people think that net veils are what makes the hat a fascinator. Not true: small, and assymetry make the classic fascinator.

Here is a simple net crown hat:

I had one for Easter but in rabbit kidd white, circa 1964 through 1968....when the hat FELL into the mighty Missouri River at Giant Springs. Sobbing at the tale.

---
I shall stop with the millinery lessons. But, shall we please all recall that SD, the dude engineer of the northern lands who follows formula 1 racing said FASCINATOR first..that is all.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, those chainmail reticules are cool. Do you know whether it's late Victorian or perhaps from the early 20th century? I have one crocheted from tiny steel beads that I suspect is 1870s but have never been able to date.

Chainmail and Crinoline Junk Shots
Farthingale and Fascinator BOPs

Just a little mashing of topics. Time for dinner.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I hear she's only staid in public, or before the third tot of gin.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

c. 1909, Talitha, certainly no earlier.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

[Long shaggy dog story build up omitted]

Transporting gulls over staid lions for immortal porpoises.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Between CqP, Yoki and talitha, you three are hereby summoned chez moi to give me lessons (to the extent I can absorb and understand) in all this fashion stuff. As the others already know, talitha, *I* was not born with the genes that tell me what to wear and how to wear it. Some people got it, and some people don't. That being said, when I do get all glitzed up, I'm told that I look mahvelous!

Doesn't happen often enough, tho.

Posted by: -ftb- | June 14, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't happen often enough, tho.

Posted by: -ftb- | June 14, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the hiccup

Posted by: -ftb- | June 14, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

That would be so fun, ftb! Though if I had a hand in it, my mother would disapprove of your fashion choices as much as she does mine :) She seems to think that a silver patent biker-jacket, a pencil skirt and black high-top chucks is not appropriate for a woman of my um, stature (*cough-age-cough*)

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

That is the one CqP:

She looks more and more like my mother. Gawd.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 14, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Jantzen? Portland still has Jantzen Beach on the Columbia River. My express bus to work snuck by an old Jantzen plant on NE Glisan east of Benson High School. I never figured out how swimwear got to be a Pacific Northwest business.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 14, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I've said it a time or two before, shriek: she's a dead ringer for my Aunt Barbara. Has been for half a century.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | June 14, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

SD, can you believe she's 84? Of course her mother lived to be 101, so she's still a spring chicken.

A dear friend turned 90 on Saturday. My greatest ambition is to be a beautiful old lady like she is. If I can have the gorgeous white hair, I'll be satisfied.

Nine inches, Ivansmom? That's worse than a hurricane around here. Please stay high and dry!

It was so hot and humid here that a thunderstorm developed right on top of us; we got .7" in about ten minutes. That kind is no good, it all runs off instead of soaking in.

Posted by: slyness | June 14, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

ftb, aging has left me *cough-zaftig-cough* (thanks, Yoki) statuesque and I've let current fashion slip away. But for classic style and good fabric I'll be there for the confab. Yoki, my mother gave up on critiquing my wardrobe back in the 60s mod era. You should have heard her laugh when I told her I was married in 19th century dress ---- yes, underpinned with hoops and corset.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Great. Just great. One of the few days when I am absent from the boodle and what are we discussing? The Queen's Headwear.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

There is always more to say, RD. Chip right in.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"But I promise you this, that things are going to return to normal."

POTUS Obama today...

Makes me cringe, peppy hyperbole at best, at worst, messianic grandiosity.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Although, honestly, I always fancied best the ones the QM used to wear with the big ostrich feathers.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

To my ear 'tis better than abandon all hope ye who are damned.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I guess "things are gonna be normal again." is much better than "hey, you low-skilled people out of work, why don't you head to Arizona? In about three weeks they will be begging for folks to work in restaurants, hotels and assorted other industries... since there seems to be a mass migration out of there."

Posted by: steveboyington | June 14, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The Queen Mother always struck me as a pretty regular type. She always seemed about ready to pinch a cheek or tell a little joke. Titter-twee!

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

OK, y'all talk Obamanalysis. Why not? That's been the topic on every newscast I tried to view this evening. I just accept that the man is doing his best and thank heaven we aren't living with the alternative.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

talitha - I will always have a soft spot for the QM for the following reason. My Grandmother was born the same age as the QM, and in 1992 I cheekily wrote a letter to the QM's private secretary asking if the QM might possible send a quick Birthday note to my Grandmother. This the QM did, noting that "We ladies must look out for one another."

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Born in the same year as the QM so they were the same age, of course. Which meant in 1992 they were both 92.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

May I change the subject just for a minute to talk about Flag day? I went to a celebration at the granddaughters' school this morning and was very impressed. All of the students in k thru 6 were there but the third graders hosted and did all the performing except for one song sung and signed (Wilbrod take notice!)by the first graders. All the third graders wore tee shirts that they painted themselves with white stars on a blue background on top and red and while stripes on the bottom, it was a very impressive sight. The Superintendent of Schools was there and mentioned that she is a great great great niece of Thomas Jefferson, which was a nice touch. The national anthem was sung very nicely by one of the third grade girls and the rest of the class sang more patriotic songs. Some of the pupils got up to say a few lines about the flag or the country's history - one little girl did an especially good job with her lines ;-). The whole class played a few songs, including Yankee Doodle on some sort of flute, it was so awful it was good! I was pleased to see a patriotic event that didn't skew to any one party or belief except for simple love of country and flag. It was refreshing and inspiring. I've been impressed by all the events I've attended at the school and today was no exception. Nice to know that education is working well somewhere.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 14, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I too could think of even more ridiculous things to say and trot out more ridiculous things that have been said (It looks really bad from up here, etc., there are web sites stuffed with Bush/Cheney administration crazy quotes)...still makes me cringe.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Fearmongering really annoys me...

Particularly when it's already been debunked:

(please note carefully the section on retinyl palmitate)

*SIGHHHHHHHHH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 14, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

And that's your prerogative shrink.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't see anything messianic about that statement. He didn't promise a perfect world, just that normalcy will be established, and that is usually a pretty safe bet. It is just that normal is a moving target. My normal life now is nothing like it was when I was 19. But they are both normal.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Ah, this is the new normal, well now I feel much better. Prince William Sound would like their old normal back.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Now now shrink, that's not what he nor I said. Nobody is saying things shouldn't be cleaned up, and you well know it.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sneaks, I love your flag day story, especially the part about the little ones signing a song. Your granddaughters are so lucky to have you. Between you and RD's story about his g'mother I'm getting teary for my own.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

What is flag day?

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Not unforseen, not an accident.

D@mn them.

Posted by: -dbG- | June 14, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

It will never be the way it was and in many respects it should not return to normal. The point is, Tony Hayward has also promised to "clean up every drop" etc. and everyone knows that is not going to happen, there will be permanent environmental/ecological and therefore social fabric damage. We are grown ups, we can hear that and we can adapt and develop the means necessary not just to make sure this does not happen again, but that job creation alternatives (not just "compensation") are the centerpiece of the administration's legacy. People need hope, not bromides and that comes from confidence in economic recovery.

It is a perfect region, for example, for massive biofuel engineering industry. And don't take it personal if I criticize Obama, I'll bet I gave at least as much money to his campaign as anyone else, the maximum allowed. We expect more from the ones we worked so hard for.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

'sneaks... sounds like a wonderful day.

I'm also glad to know there are other kids still in school. Daughter's last day of school is June 24. The original date was late enough at June 22, but the winter's UltraSnow added a couple of days to the calendar.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 14, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I have nothing to be defensive about. He's not my head of state. I have enough to be going on with with our Prime Minister.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought that what Obama said was a simple statement of confidence. That's part of his job description.

Flag Day, Yoki, is an unofficial holiday dedicated to the American Flag. (By which I mean it is not recognized on the Federal level as is, say Independence Day. No Federal buildings are closed for it.)

As an unofficial holiday it is celebrated informally around the country by displaying the flag and, sometimes, with local parades and the like.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Have a good evening everybody,

Posted by: shrink2 | June 14, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Same thing I said when I read that article, dbG.

Yoki, Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag on 6-14-1777 by the Continental Congress. Wilson declared it officially in 1916. It's not a federal holiday, folks work. But there are parades occasionally and we're encouraged to fly a flag much like we do on July 4th, Memorial Day, etc. It's a great teaching point for the kids. I was Betsy Ross in a Flag Day play in the second grade because I could handle scissors well enough to cut a star and sew it onto the flag!

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

shrink - I also think you are confusing a prediction with a challenge. The President isn't looking into a crystal ball. He is issuing a challenge to the country to do what it takes to return things to "normal" and offering his confidence that we will be able to meet this goal.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

When I was a kid Flag Day was always something I enjoyed because it involved construction paper and scissors. I was all about construction paper and scissors. And glue. But not, you know, in a weird way.

The thing is, I recall, vividly, making cool paper flags in second grade and holding patriotic parades up and down the hallway.

Because I was a forward thinking lad I believe my flag featured something like sixty seven stars.

Plus, I really liked drawing stars.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I think part of America's problem today is that we can't hear bad news without shooting the messenger.

I'd prefer hearing the bad news and going from there.

Remember, "You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie?" How much more did we trust W after hearing that?

Posted by: -dbG- | June 14, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Ha! (re Yoki's 5:56)

Posted by: seasea1 | June 14, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

shrink, I agree with you. This *must* change the way we view our energy production and safety regulations ----- thank goodness. I just don't feel Obama is responsible for 'all' the hope. We have to keep working just as hard now as we did to get him elected and maintain our 'own' hope.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Evidently, based on the experiences of talitha and I, Flag Day was the corner stone of second grade curriculum.

Arbor Day was big too.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | June 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

TBG, kids around these parts don't get out of school until around the end of next week, give or take a few days, snow doesn't impact this unless we have more than five snow days. Talitha, you are correct about Flag day as I learned today :-)

I realize that the gulf will never be the 'same' but if Obama had been all gloom and doom it would have had a worse effect on the poor people down there. You have to give them some comfort and hope. And I do believe that Obama is a heck of a lot more sincere in wanting things to get better for them than the 'shrub' ever was about the people of New Orleans. But that's just me.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 14, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

No, sneaks, not just you. I have been wondering why no one is asking Cheney about it - not that I care, but I would like to see him grilled about energy policies he pushed and deals he kept secret. Wonder if what went on during the Bush years will ever come out.

Posted by: seasea1 | June 14, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Today is my parents' anniversary; I've been thinking about them all day. They would have been married 58 years. Hard to believe that my mom's been gone six years and, come Christmastime, my dad 30 years.

Posted by: slyness | June 14, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

RD, next time I plant a tree I'll think of you.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Flag day is an interesting concept, I like that. Our flag isn't 50 yet (unlike myself, way too soon) but it would be a good tradition to pick up.

Green the English goalie can relax a bit, a Norway player scored in his own goal (headed a ball in the back of a teammate) this afternoon so he gets to share the youtube dunce cap at the Mundial.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 14, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow is my parents' 64th anniversary, slyness. That boggles my mind and I think it boggles theirs, too.

Posted by: -pj- | June 14, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I remember when the maple leaf replaced the older flag. It was a current event we studied in school.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 14, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Vonnegut in Timequake (and I am sure in other places too).

Many people need desperately to receive this message: "I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them. You are not alone."

Obama's message today: "What he said."

Posted by: steveboyington | June 14, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

In looking for the above quote from Timequake, found another gem from it. A few boodlers may get a chuckle, too.

"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have nerve enough to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts."

Posted by: steveboyington | June 14, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Thinking with you, slyness!

Posted by: -dbG- | June 14, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

SD, you're Canadian, unless I'm mistaken? I just looked up the history of the Maple Leaf. Says that it made it first appearance on Feb. 15, 1965. Since 1996, that day is "celebrated annually as National Flag of Canada Day". I was interested to see the evolution of Canadian flags from the Union Jack onward to the Maple Leaf. Maybe Canada just needs to promote Flag of Canada Day in the second grade classrooms. It worked for RD and me.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, one of the boggly things is what Himself and I say all the time. We're rapidly coming up on 29 years, and, "Some days it feels like no time at all, and some days, forever." And the forever is not at all negative. Just, boggly.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The "older flag" was the Red Ensign, a Royal Navy flag. We desperately needed to get away from all this Englishness.

Braguine, you out there?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 14, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I have never once heard of any Canadian institution celebrating National Flag Day of Canada. Not even a Grade 2 classroom. And you know if that were true, it would be expressed in crafts in Grade 2.

That must be a Wiki-Fail, based on the idea that Canadians are basically Americans, only benighted.

The funny thing about this whole conversation is that I was in Grade 2 when the Maple Leaf debuted, and we all trouped out to the front of McKernan Elementary School to watch the New Flag being raised on the flag pole (we'd previously studied Mr. Churchill's ruminations, and listened to him on the radio in the classroom), and sing Oh Canada (but only in English, there, then). We'd all made little construction paper Maple Leaf replicas.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

steveb,
Vonnegut quotes always welcome.

My parents are at or near their 48th anniversary this month, but I'm not sure of the exact day. I should since they showed the marriage license to me once to prove that I was born 19 months after they were married and not seventh months.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely nobody celebrates flag day on Feb 15, Talitha. In some places going outside for the day would mean certain death. Or at least a toe-losing episode. Yoki's Calgary would be in-between, a slow unpleasant but not-so-certain death. The Chinook would come and save everyone.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | June 14, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Or not.

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

So Yoki also celebrated Flag Day in 2nd grade. Wonderful!

Daughter asked today if there were any Flag Day Songs. She decided "Grand Ol' Flag" would do.

We in the G family usually create a holiday song by singing, in a very high voice, "Happy ____ Day" to the tune of "Happy Holidays." You remember this gem, don't you?

I'm boggled that Dr G and I will celebrate 27 years of marriage next week. We will have been "together" for only 28 years come the end of July.

Posted by: -TBG- | June 14, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The graph I have been too lazy to make myself:

Posted by: yellojkt | June 14, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Quit rubbing it in, TBG. Mr. T and I celebrated our 15th a couple of weeks ago. I fixed steaks at home, since we had the Big Trip coming the next week.

Uh-oh, looks like OK City is about to be clobbered again. I-mom, stay high and dry on your hill.

Posted by: slyness | June 14, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, I hadn't thought about the weather but I certainly see your point. And if it's a Wiki-fail it wouldn't be the first time. But the flag design evolution diagrams did have the Red Ensign at several stages.

The Stars and Stripes went through it's own slow and steady phases, of course. I always loved the 13 stars in a circle original version.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I only recall one Canadian Flag, I know we had others but they hold no sentiment with me, don't we have a Flag Day in February - just not celebrated.

Talitha, I always thought the Queen Mum cute but I believe she was a very strong person, and not one to be messed with - not really the cuddly Mother type - perhaps she mellowed with the grandkids, the twinkle came from a fondness for G&T.

Posted by: dmd3 | June 14, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Canadian Flag Day Feb. 18 - just some of the useless stuff my brain remembers - wish I could switch it for valuable info

Posted by: dmd3 | June 14, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

You think I would remember the actual date from when I saw it on the website to when I posted - less than a minute,

SCC Feb 15

Posted by: dmd3 | June 14, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, slyness. The radar tells me more rain is coming and I expect thunder soon. I think we'll have an early bedtime.

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 14, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

dmd3, that's what I meant when I said the Queen Mum looked like a regular sort. I know of all she did during WWll.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Talitha, long day in the sun on a warm day, followed by several hours with our accountant, mush would be an understatement for what my brain is now.

Posted by: dmd3 | June 14, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, nothing to be sorry about, dmd. Can I offer you a G.& T.? Goodnight, dear Boodlers. Goodnight Moon.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 14, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

In case anybody still thought Canadians are nice,

Posted by: Yoki | June 14, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I hate to mention this to you, but if you gave the Queen in that picture a buzz cut via photoshop magic, she'd nearly be a dead ringer for you in drag.

Not quite. A few pounds off, but you must really look like your aunt's side of the family.

I looked up fascinators and saw some mini-tophats, mini-fedoras, and other various styles of fascinators for sale. I guess the central trait is small, askew or tilted back as you said.

Yarmulke: the original beret-style fascinator.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | June 15, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Wilbrod.

Posted by: Yoki | June 15, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

given the scenario in the GOM, this seems appropriate:
some of the lyrics are nsfw.

Posted by: -jack- | June 15, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

And the theme tune for every ski-trip in High School!

Posted by: Yoki | June 15, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Today

Posted by: Yoki | June 15, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I'll have to admit, each time I hear "King of the Road", I immediately think of Super Dave Osbourne.

Posted by: steveboyington | June 15, 2010 6:05 AM | Report abuse

Thomas Kinkade got arrested for DUI. Here is a police photo of the scene:

(photoshop courtesy of a Gawker commenter)

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

We are not amused, Wilbrod.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | June 15, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

fb,
This is not the way to resolve a dispute with the BX return policy.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Actually, though, we are amused, although I gotta say, looking like QEII is a new one for me. (I often get QEI.)

In a way, it stands to reason, since my aunt is my dad's sister, and I'm a dead ringer for him, so it stands to reason I might look like her, too, and if she looks like QEII...

So I don't think I have a Bacon number to QEII, but I might have a scrapple number to her.

Most of the time, I get, "You look like Mickey Rooney," which bugged the hell out of me for the first 30 years or so, but I'm used to it now. Me, I think I look like a bad marriage between Mickey Rooney and C.P. Snow.

I don't know which I loath and despise more, this WaPo headline, or the whole topic: "Our worst leader?
Discussion | President Obama and BP chief Tony Hayward have both faced cricitism, but which has done the worst job managing the Gulf oil crisis?"

You've just got to be kidding me. This is just a sick, gratuitous attempt to get page views. I'm with badsneaks and a few others here: I don't think Obama has done a bad job at all. I just think most of the country has its head up its a$$.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | June 15, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

I get "Are you Rick Steves?" I have yet to parlay that into any free hotel rooms.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Obama has not made any really bad moves. There are things he has done that I don't agree with, but those are mostly things that the other guy would have done as well. I do not regret supporting him for President.

I'll hold sharp criticism until he actually goofs up. Imagine if he did make a big mistake.... the 40% of the populace that has screeched that everything he has done has been criminal would have their heads explode.

The 40% that are his base of supporters, many of whom seem to like to cluck over lots of little things, will have to figure out if they will also abandon him altogether. I suspect they will not.

The nonaligned 20% is the group I think Obama and his folks are most worried about. They don't really have allegiance to either party, and tend to only get worked up every so often... to throw one of the parties out.

Posted by: steveboyington | June 15, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

@!#$! yello! Tea all over the keyboard!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | June 15, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Just popped in to say Hi. Wanted to agree with the point just made by Mudge. I was staring at that line ... then did a double take to see if I misread that. Obama has done a decent enough job all things considered. Goodness, if we had had a President McCain??? VP Palin???? It's bad enough having that stuff on the air 24/7 at Fox, but having it come out of the White House?

Just think of it, if we had those two clowns in office for the past couple of years, then there probably wouldn't have been any Republicans left in the Congress by November. And yet??? Obama is doing a bad job? Sure, believe what you want. It seems that we nearly lost all functioning in our Federal disaster response. We are trying to function as a country after eight years of the last administration hiring nimrods and dim bulbs--those guys who actually don't like government.

Thank goodness for the Bush legacy. Miss me, yet?

Ah, no.

It's hard enough to believe that we haven't prosecuted the man, so it would be nice if he would just keep his pie hole shut.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 15, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of blatant page-view wh0ring, "On Faith" done lost its po' mind:

Lady Gaga v. Madonna
Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video is an intelligent meditation on grace, love and conscience. Lady Gaga's newest is lazy trash.

New Zealand and Slovakia are underway. Scoreless after 10 minutes. I'm sure you're all shocked. :-)

*heck-with-nutrition-I'm-having-an-apple-fritter Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Morning, y'all. It. Is. Hot.

Yes, Weed. Consider the alternative. I think one man can't hold all the "hope and change" for the nation. It's up to each of us to work for the change and maintain our fair share of the hope.

Snuke, I'm considering frittering away the entire day. *waves back*

Later after the coffee kicks in . . . . .

ps - Mudge, in my mind you look like Gable.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

A taller, more handsome Gable, without the reputed bad breath.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 15, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

'Morning everybody. A perfect day here, blue sky and moderate temps. I'm going to play some tennis and then do chores. I wish I could fax everyone some lettuce as we have tons of it. The tomatoes are starting to shoot up and out - we staked and caged them last night (caging alone doesn't work as they all eventually topple over from their own weight).

Ivansmom, hope you are okay after all that awful weather yesterday. Weed, can't disagree with your post.

Posted by: badsneakers | June 15, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

DNAGirl,
Thanks. Was the tea spewage a result of my 6:12, 6:30, or 6:46? If I wasn't such a prolificate boodlehogger, I could focus my meager talents better.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

How did the On Faith cluelessness miss the easy madonna/wh0re call-out?

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

badsneaks!!! Love home grown/real lettuce. Of course, hate to see any of your tomato plants fall over, so send some out, as needed.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 15, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Slovakia leading the Kiwis 1-0.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Referee's assistant assisted on that goal. Really in bad position to call the lines. Kiwis suffer because of awful call or non-call.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 15, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Snuke, I think Slovakia made a deal with the devil and their team sold off several vowels for a goal.

Posted by: russianthistle | June 15, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Remake of the Limpet movie:

I have no words. But this hope: could a remake of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken be far behind?

A gal can dream!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

I'm an old enuf Merikan for Flag Day to have been a big deal in my youth. When I was about six, it was. By the time I was eleven formal observance of it in my area had pretty much vanished.

FWIW, I think "normal" is such a value-laden word that President Obama and the Democrats are going to be battling that phrase in both the 2010 and 2012 elections. Many people want "normal" to mean "cured", "repaired", "restored", "average", "the way it used to be", or "calm", among other things. And when their definition of "normal" isn't achieved, they now will have someone to blame.

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So, CquaP, what's Zach gonna turn into, a pufferfish? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

85 degrees, 77 percent humidity. The grass will get cut anyway.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 15, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Kiwis have tied it up 1-1 close to the end of regular time.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I keep seeing a beard, SN.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Jim Carrey had been previously attached to a a Mr. Limpet remake which never made it into the water, so don't hold your breath on this one.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Mr. Limpet can plug leaking oil wells. Or Knott.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

12 matches. 5 have ended in ties. 4 of the 7 wins have been by one goal.

If things remain this evenly matched, the World Cup champion might as well be determined by lottery and we can all stop watching the telly.

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

My mistake, the Kiwis pulled off an injury-time goal to force the tie.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Beard, CquaP? So he'd be a walrus? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Borowitz nails it this morning:

"JUNE 15, 2010

BP Develops Technology to Convert Lies into Energy

‘Totally Renewable Resource,’ Says CEO

"LONDON (The Borowitz Report) – In what is being called a game-changer for the embattled oil company, British Petroleum announced today that it has developed a new technology to convert lies into energy.

"At a press conference at corporate headquarters in London, BP CEO Tony Hayward said that environmentalists would embrace the new technology “because lies are a totally renewable resource.”

Illustrating the impact of BP’s new technology, Mr. Hayward told reporters, “Over the past month alone, my words could power the city of London for a year.”

But the new technology has its skeptics, including the University of Minnesota’s Davis Logsdon, who warns of the dangers of “lie spills.”

“We have learned from recent BP press conferences that once the lie flow starts, it can be very hard to stop,” he says.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Why be normal?

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

JK, I dream of the Ghost and Mr. Chicken!

Piffle (a bit) on the Limpet movie, unless, 'tis rewritten with BP as the enemy, rather than the Nazi menace.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Talitha, in someone's eyes, you probably are normal.

Personally, I dare to be dull.

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm not certain which is scarier regarding this Book World article:

A) Book World thinks it's news that Beck writes fiction, or

B) that Beck's audience doesn't understand fiction.

*SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

And here's a man in need of some career counseling (as well as a good lawyer): http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/06/15/VI2010061501186.html?hpid=artslot

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Today is Obama's really big day.
Most important since the election.

Meanwhile, on c-span late yesterday,
I saw the inside of the Unified Command.
It is pretty obvious first, these people are doing the best they can and second, that BP is in charge of the deep (sorry) structure of the response, the messaging in particular. The USA is flying wing, literally and figuratively; we are doing everything in our power to support BP, that much is clear.

That will change this evening, I imagine, I hope. We don't need to dismantle the UC, we need to run it. The building is crammed with BP message minders. The guy who spoke the most to the camera identified himself at last...he is a "professional crisis manager". He mentioned a number of previous BP crisis, explosion in Houston, forgot the list...but he was there. The linguistics of what is going on here is the reality after all; politics is power management and we are being managed by pros.

This is just the beginning. Our semiotics are not tuned to disasters that are this long in the making. This is driving a lot of the wishful thinking, the desire for normal, the backing and filling. We just can't believe it is still flowing and faster than when this started,
seven weeks on.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 15, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Devuvuzelator (to reduce noise for World Cup matches on TV), via New Scientist:

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 15, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

In other words, Shrink, we have no maps for what is happening.

I hold a sliver of hope that we will now rethink our mastery of everything, with an eye to realizing that our petroleum economy will not sustain our children and grandchildren.

Most of us can think about the two generations ahead -- generativity is the sociology term.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

MsJS, not sure. I've been crazy dull for so long that I just let everyone else be themselves and join in when invited. (Son had a T-shirt with the "why be normal?" slogan when he was a teen and, though trite, it always amused me.)

Revised weather report from chez talitha ----- my earlier observation that it is hot was due to the fact that 'someone' turned off the attic fan during the night. It's cloudy and quite pleasant outside in truth. I'm seeing reports from Oklahoma and wondering why I ever groused in the first place. Imom?

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

True, this is not BP's crisis, this is bleeding edge of the Iraq war, POTUS Jimmy Carter's speech on how to get away from the coal&oil pox on AmCiv, which the country ignored, global warming, the whole enchilada...if this does not cause us to re-tool or economy for sustainable energy, nothing will. But even now, biotech energy firms are all in little start up phases, routinely killed by wide swings in oil prices, or the technologies are simply bought by the fossil fuel industry, so to be slow danced to death.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 15, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Looks like there was a 5.7 quake east of San Diego last night. It's considered an aftershock to the quake that hit the area in early April.

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey everybody. It's hot here and will be for the foreseeable future. 95 is the forecasted high, already 89 by the thermometer in the vehicle. Which has been parked in the shade.

This is my day to be a pincushion. I've already been stuck in my left arm, now to go and be stuck in my right...

Posted by: slyness | June 15, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's get sustainability off the margins and into the center of our nation's energy policy.

For example...

But these companies will never be allowed to grow to become fossil fuel competitive unless they are protected. If that sounds like government picking winners and losers, too bad, we do it all the time, always have (Haliburton comes to mind), always will.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I continue to wonder why Salazar is not appointed to manage the spill, and Obama must micromanage it. There is going on at the moment:
Korea sabre rattling
Afghan mess
Iraq
Worldwide financial looting crisis
Pakistan
Iran nuke development
Immigration issues
Long term alternate energy development
etc.

One supposes Salazar can't actually do the job, or something. Why?

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ivory Coast/Portugal 0-0 at the half.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I have seen no sign whatsoever that it is being managed by pros, shrink2. Pros are generally pretty good at what they do. They seldom make mistakes, and if they do, they fix them, learn from them, and don't make them again.

The guy who claims to be a "professional cris manager" may claim it...but clearly he is not.

Politics isn't "power management." It is infintely more complicated and diverse than that.

If "we just can't believe it is still flowing," the fault lies with us, not with them. This is simple lack of knowledge and failure of imagination. Why is it hard to believe? Ixtoc flowed for ten months. There's plenty of precedent.

The problem with semiotics is it deals with secondary characteristics of an event or thing, not the event or thing itself. And if we are not attuned to long-term disasters, that is also our failing. (And I also disagree with the generality: I myself am quite well attuned to long-term events and disasters, but then again, I am over 900 years old. But I lived through 11 years of Vietnam, a couple decades of the Civil Rights movement, 8 years of Reagan, six years of Nixon, 8 years of Bush. And I do not have the attention span of a fruit fly, like the younger generation is alleged to possess. I am quite comfortable with long-term things, problems, events, disasters, etc. After all, I've been married 27 years.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

professional crisis manager = PR flack

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey there to us all....the real management is behind the scenes by all actors. The rest is theater I tell you, THEATER!!!!!!

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Jumper, because the media-jerks-that-be want Obama to be FDR and Lincoln at Gettysburg all rolled into one?

I want my president handling every damned issue/crisis out there . . . not just one. Salazar isn't making the talking heads happy (right or left or center) so they want ObamaSuperman in there.

Let the president deal with everything BUT oilspill after tonight's speech.

*thinking this is third time I've composed and deleted, maybe post this one*

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;"
---Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I didn't mean to YeLL.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded gage."

-- Neil Peart, "Limelight"

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

And, we have until fall 2010 to arrange a boodle field trip to the paper engineered book exhibit at the Smithsonian Library:

Blog here:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Blog here:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I disagree; it IS BP's crisis, not Obama's. I understand that people want him or Salazar or somebody to "take charge," but I think there is a good reason why they haven't. The minute they do "take charge," as many people want, then "they own it." The crisis becomes theirs, and they are then responsible for fixing it, and responsible for its failure if they can't.

So yes, they have been keeping it at arm's length, but for a good reason. To ":take charge" of it means to fail. But they didn't cause it, they didn't start it, they have no tools and equipment and expertise to fix it. It is all BP's crisis, and it is the oil industry that has the tools, equipment, expertise (or not, as the case may be) to fix it.

You are the shrink here, shrink2. I understand that we all want Mommy or Daddy to step in and solve our problems for us and kiss it and make it better. But there are things in the world Mommy or Daddy can't fix. There are things that can't be fixed. We should not blame Obama, or the WHite House as an instituion, or "the administration" as a whole because they do not posses the mythical property of omnipotence of Mommy and Daddy.

No, I don't want Obama and Salazer to "own" this problem. To own it is to fail. There is simply no upside or advantage to taking on the impossible. We have to stop thinking like children.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

*arms folded, face pouted, staring at Mudge*

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I saw some non-expert on MSNBC last night because he, like many 14-year-olds, wanted to bomb the leaking well. The TV news people are for the most part the most ignorant, uneducated posers in the news biz. Their credibility has been smashed to nothing long, long ago but no one told them yet. The press, for all their warts and certain occasional similarities, consternated over new/internet media, have reflexively bonded with them, a most unwise thing to do.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 15, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Obama speaking in Pensacola right now, off the cuff, with the troops he's mobilizing for cleanup. Prepping for tonight I reckon.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

QUOTE:
• The energy contained in the biggest oil spill in U.S. history is equal to the energy that just 75,000 homes waste in a single year.

• The estimated cost to clean up the oil spill ($40 B) is many times greater than the cost to retrofit 75,000 houses ($1 B) and save the energy equivalent of the gulf oil spill every year.

• 75,000 houses = mid-sized U.S. city or large suburb of a major city, like Chattanooga, Tenn. or Providence, R.I.

• The oil spill, since it began in April 2010, has leaked between 25 - 50 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. We're using a conservative estimate of around 30 million gallons for our calculations.

• A typical house wastes 30 percent more energy than an efficient one does. On average, that means that 51 MMBtu's are being wasted by a typical home every year.

• A typical home energy retrofit costs around $10,000 per house -- before any utility or governments energy rebates are applied. A home energy retrofit doesn't just save energy for a single year -- it prevents waste year after year on an ongoing basis once it's done.
END QUOTE
Grist uses info from this group of energy policy plus contractors (theory and practice expertise)

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ivory Coast and Portugal end tied, nil-nil. Drogba came in as a late 2nd-half sub, to no effect.

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Another 0-0 tie at the World Cup.

Posted by: MsJS | June 15, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Neither BP's nor Obama's crisis, this is America's opportunity, if this isn't our tipping point (or our bottoming out) we will have had a failure of imagination as a culture.

I think how people manage and transact power is more complicated and diverse than politics, or that there is no difference between the two. In any case, the Unified Command is a failed concept because public relations, very specific message management priorities are embedded within all of its operations.

The problem with semiotics is not only that it deals with secondary characteristics of an event or thing, not the actual event or thing, we have to understand that is our only choice. We can not transcend the transaction of symbols in other words.

Thus, in a crisis of this magnitude, message management, the projection of caring, competence (a cheering room full of 80 engineers and scientists!), Bruce Willis movies, washing birds off and releasing them to "the wild", despising BP conflated with despising ourselves, our addiction, our powerlessness. This is all reality.

Our solution is also embedded in visions...shadows on cave walls, Recovery archetypes exist, we are wired for this. Obama has an extraordinary opportunity here.

Posted by: shrink2 | June 15, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Howdy. The sun is out and it will be hot and steamy today, what with all that water still above or barely in the ground. The creeks and rivers have receded quite a bit but things are still very damp.

In the last few months Oklahoma City and environs has had a catastrophic blizzard, an ice storm, two tornado days, a catastrophic hail storm, and now a flood. As we say, can frogs and locusts be far behind? Where's our rain of blood?

Posted by: Ivansmom | June 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I believe shrink2 wanted the Obama administration to take command of the UC, not the spill.

Posted by: -dbG- | June 15, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

So the Big Apple is becoming the Big Piano Bar?

The funniest line in the article:

"And just in case anyone was tempted to walk off with a piano, each one will come with an antitheft device: a cinder-block chained to the case."

Um, yeah. That'll work. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Cqp, only problem with current energy retrofits is they lead to sick building air quality problems. A plethora of industries are based on fouling indoor air, such as OSB board in construction, import of Chinese sheetrock, aerosol products, air "fresheners," cosmetics, pets, perfumes and colognes, baby powders, flea powders, new plastics and electrical products' insulators outgassing, etc.

Talitha, as far as shouting, I think we're on the same team so shout away. No buzzy horns, please, though.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 15, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't say that Imom!

I mentioned locusts and redwater back when Joel was on the earthquakes and volcanoes . . . Horizon blew two days later. Check the blog archives if you don't believe me.

Glad you are safe and well.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Can I imagine the exhausted remains of a hurricane somehow raining oil on Oklahoma City?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | June 15, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, J. Then, we learn to reopen our windows seasonally and on cool mornings and be selective about what we use in the house and on our persons....I speak as one in a family with an immune compromised person with reactive lungs and airways....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

And then Jesus gets struck by lightening. Folks, it's not looking too good. I'll give it about 2 and a half more years before the big boom.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | June 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Jumper, we're on the same page regarding "sick buildings", too. I've been the victim. I'm all for conserving energy and do so in many ways, but living in a drafty old house with fresh air is vastly superior to an airless cubicle. This is my life choice and I'm sticking to it.

CqP, paper folding? Books? I'm there.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I-mom, don't say that! You're tempting fate, fer sure!

I have bandages on both elbows, one vial out of the left arm, seven out of the right. This is after three vials out of the right arm yesterday. I must be down at least a pint of blood.

The Geekdottir looked at me and decided she needs to take me to lunch.

Posted by: slyness | June 15, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

And, Jumper and T: also, keeping house colder and warmer than most of us think reasonable, as the season forces....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | June 15, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Ivansmom, I think the situation calls for propitiation, a blood sacrifice. Coburn? Inhofe? Both? Maybe sacrifice one and then if that doesn't work...

Posted by: kguy1 | June 15, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Fresh air heat exchangers are supposedly the way to do it but I've yet to see this built into any homes and I'm unsure if they are common in commercial buildings. yellojkt?

When I was in the building trade I noticed they keep sealing 'em up tighter and tighter, but each building has certain exhaust ports which are to keep working, such as dryer vents, kitchen vents, gas hot-water-heater chimneys, furnace chimneys. Many of these chimneys now use forced air. Which led me to wonder if soon we will see homes occasionally just implode from lack of replacement air.

Posted by: Jumper1 | June 15, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The crawler on the first report I saw about the Jesus statue read ------ "Lightened strucks Jesus in Ohio". Wrote it down for laughs.

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

CqP, don't have AC and heat only two main rooms in winter. Grew up that way so it's not hard to adapt. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | June 15, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm sort of laughing, shrink, but also I am hard-pressed to tell you how much I can't stand it when somebody calls a problem or a disaster an "opportunity" and all that other New Age Euphemism-Speak. The only other word even worse is to call it a "challenge." No one has problems and difficulties any more-- we just all have "challenges."

World War II was a "challenge," and the Great Depression was an "opportunity" to learn fiscal self-reliance.

My a$$. We have to call things what they are, not pretty them up and try to make them sound more palatable.

You think perception is "reality." Mazel tov. I just think perception is just perception, a filter, a mask, an impediment to knowing reality. It may be right, it may be wrong, but it isn't to be trusted. One can either deal with perception, or deal with reality, but they are not the same thing. You worry about semiotics; I want them to plug the damn leak.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

New Kit, BTW...

Posted by: Scottynuke | June 15, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

New Kit!!! And I may have mudged myself, yet again.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | June 15, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Most building codes don't require dedicated fresh air for residences (or other buildings for that matter) with sufficient windows, so air your house out every time you can.

Fresh air for offices, schools, hospitals, etc. has been a topic of debate for a couple of decades now. In the 70s (post energy crisis) everything got buttoned up and closed off. Then the pendulum swung the other way towards lots of fresh air that caused mugginess, humidity and mold in poorly designed system. They (us engineers) are still trying to hit the balance between comfort, air quality, and energy conservation. It's like cheap, quick, or right, pick two.

Chemical off-gassing (new carpet smell) and volatile cleaners also contribute to poor indoor air quality. And if the air outside your window isn't clean to start with, all the 'fresh' air in the world won't do you any good.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Nope. I'm the one who got mudged.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse