Parking in New York, and so on

IMG_1316.JPG

You think parallel parking is hard? Try backing into one of these spaces! You have to really know how to work the accelerator, brakes and airfoil. You need the Big Air for those higher spots. Took me years to master it.

IMG_1339.JPG

I was craving some sausage and saw on the tourist map that there's a "Meatpacking District." But lo, it's just a bunch of trendy restaurants and expensive clothing stores! Here we see young layabouts and trust-funders eating small plates of precious food on a cobblestone street with nary a butcher in sight. They never noticed me in the vegetation, but after a while I began to itch.

IMG_1336.JPG

Hormone-addled couples break up and then get back together right in the middle of the street. You have to admire not only the exhibitionism but also the gal's ability to traverse the cobblestones in those heels.

IMG_1356.JPG

Lombardi's coal-fired oven makes for the best pizza on the planet. I will check to see if it will be affected by the energy bill on the Hill.

IMG_1353.JPG

Last year at this time I was in Rome. This year, Little Italy. Next year? A Domino's in Bethesda, probably.

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 12, 2010; 8:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midlife milestones
Next: Will they shut in the gulf oil well?

Comments

Try Leonardo's in Hogtown.

Posted by: -shiloh- | July 12, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

And the year after, supermarket freezer pizza at home.

Posted by: --dr-- | July 12, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

And the year after, day old pizza left in a box on the floor of your kid's dorm room.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 12, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning everyone
Up in west by god to do a nice long paddle today and catch some big fish.

I saw a Toys R Us sign on the way up last night and a few of the letters were missing and it read "OY US".Aint that the truth sometimes.

Worms,wine,camera in hand,in a little while i will be in "Almost Heaven".....

Have a Great day everyone

Posted by: greenwithenvy | July 12, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

TBG best wishes to your sister, VLady glad you are doing well and your energy is returning.

Just returned from second visit to the vet, dmddog is in the process of his annual exam, let's just say he doesn't like it, first visit we managed his vaccinations but could not get a muzzle on him so couldn't proceed with the rest, today I managed, surprisingly easily to muzzle him before he went and they were able to check his ears, but he requires a rectal exam, not happening unless sedated. Still trying to get over the looks he gave me when he had the muzzle on, such a sad puppy look.

A bit of excitement on the street last night, someone tried to break into the neighbours car across the street, paperman noticed the event and called the police, three cars showed up and I think our dog was barking - I of course slept through it all but dmdspouse filled me in.

Off to work have a good day everyone.

Love the pictures Joel, have a great time.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 12, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

And then, making pizza at home. Which is where the renaissance will begin.

Posted by: --dr-- | July 12, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Greenie, have fun today -- and maybe have a 20-inch trout for dinner.

Some might also consider New York "Almost Heaven," Little Italy -- mmmm. [Bet Tina can find some good limoncella up *there*.]

Ya gotta appreciate a well-heeled lady who can glide through cobblestone streets as effortlessly as an evening fog, while you're rumbling along behind, carrying the rest of her shopping bags. Particularly after that second grappa.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

SO perfectly true dr. May be how the Renaissance began?

Posted by: shrink2 | July 12, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

What's your parking move to get up there Joel, the Franchitti or the Webber?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

CqP! I don't think I ever saw Hemo the Magnificent, but I'm sure I did see the second part, about sea water and blood. Seventh grade science, maybe? Junior high for sure.

Posted by: slyness | July 12, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The body language of that couple does not look like they are in the process of getting back together yet Joel, unless it is as...friends. She might be saying, "Look, I enjoy our friendship, very much, Sven. Can that be good enough for you?"

Posted by: shrink2 | July 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

And Joel, I see you've been taking parking lessons from local hero Travis Pastrana, too.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

s_d, Webber can't do that on purpose in the Mercedes or the Red Bull.

Pastrana nails it pretty much every time, on purpose.

And let's not get into what Franchitti can, well, yanno ... (shh, his Mrs. might be listening.).

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, fresh berries, coffee and OJ on the table.

I'm with dr. Homemade pizza absolutely rocks.

I received a unique email this morning. An acquaintance has decided to travel to Asia. Something deep inside her is urging her to go, so's she's going.

Like Abby Sunderland (remember her?), she is not able to self-finance this journey, so she is looking for sponsors. Hence the email.

The "Dear You" salutation at the top is probably not going to win a lot of people over, but I wish her all the best in her mid-life crisis induced adventure.

And yes, I've been able to confirm through other sources that the solicitation is genuine and not a scam being played on her email address list.

Mr. A, women mastered cobblestones in heels ages ago. It epitomizes our balance, grace, and sense of style. So glad you noticed.

Posted by: MsJS | July 12, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Such lovely pictures Joel! Enjoy yourself. Goodness knows you've earned it!

I know what you mean about misleading names. In Seattle there is a place called "Gas Works Park" except the coal gasification plant hasn't been working for over 50 years. Nothing to do there but picnic, drink wine, and watch the beautiful people.

Be careful about hiding in the bushes taking pictures of people. I think it might be a union job.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 12, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

TBG, best to your sister, yourself, and your family.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

TBG and VL, my best thoughts to you and yours this morning.

*biting-my-tongue-on-a-possible-Fiestaware-joke Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

For many years, it seemed more practicable for Floridians to visit London than New York. You could get from the airport into the city reasonably cheaply, and London had cheap little hotels.

Since then, New York figured out that people would like to take the subway or a train into Manhattan, and London became unaffordable, even as it became spiffier.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

MsJS,
My one foray into trip sponsorship was to pay for a couple of etchings that a young Portland artist promised to make after coming home from his New Zealand honeymoon. The guy was good as his word, and Cape Kidnappers, with an amazing sky is hanging above my desk. He and his young family are now living on the South Island.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

TBG, thinking of you and your sister this morning. Give her a firm hard squeeze from me if a hug isn't possible. Big one for you.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I feel compelled to add here that I'm sure I would have no problems finding sponsorsip sending me to the end of the Earth.

As long as I swore to stay there.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

No so, bc, we want you right here!

Posted by: slyness | July 12, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe that I have seen a Travis Pastrana reference in the boodle before. I guess you can get Alan to throw a car up there.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Add my best wishes for your sister to the stack, TBG.

All my caring about shoes was satisfied with last night's hilarious link; the crazy shoes were passed to many friends.

Trying to push back in to the hardwood floor biz. One thing I have an interest in (and experience, which few do) is recycled hardwood flooring (recycled not remanufactured).

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

What slyness said, bc.

Posted by: MsJS | July 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought the car photo was from the latest event in The World's Strongest Man contest...

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Reckless the Banker. Weingarten would have love this one.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

JA's latest on the "new cap" is up:

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

scc: firm "hand" squeeze

(Too late to change "that" misspelling! Distractions abound today so I will refrain from further posting until I can make sense.)

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I've come to realize that it's important to me to take a tour that includes the major Japanese fireworks festivals.

Alas, I will not be able to self-finance. So I'll be expecting you all to do your duty.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 12, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to need something to get around Japan, so I'll need this:

And to get a good view of the fireworks, I'll need this:

They'll cost about $100,000 each, so it won't amaze you to find that I'm not gonna be able to self-finance them, either.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

BobS, you can't yen for Japan without any yens.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

BobS, Japan is one of the countries my acquaintance plans on visiting. If you happen to see her at a fireworks show, give her my regards.

Posted by: MsJS | July 12, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

You know, Bob S-- if you pitched it as going over to the natives to convert them to the way of the FSM, you might have a chance of getting anything other than rank resentment. Maybe some pasta dishes, who knows?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

No, udon wanna do that!

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice pics Joel, especially the cobblestones. Meet the Cobblestones.

Posted by: teddymzuri | July 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Harvey Pekar dies.
Fidel Castro lives.
Life is indeed a cruel joke.

Posted by: kguy1 | July 12, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

kguy ... Roman Polanski is free.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 12, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

And Generalissimo Francisco Franco... is still dead.

Posted by: kguy1 | July 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

A tribute gallery to Pekar for his 70th birthday.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

That is a link to BP's animation of what they are in the process of doing. As usual, it involves days of free flow.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 12, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

A nice article on a blind blogger trying to get Montogomery country to be more walkable.

His pictures do tell the story for the sighted folks.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Believe me, the phrase "days of free flow" sent chills up the spines of many folks on here.

Whatever passes for my sense of "good judgement" suggests that I not leverage that line to make further jokes about how to stem such a tide in the Gulf. At least for another week or so.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yep, bc; BP is just pissin' away humanity's ecological and fossil-fuel birthright.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 12, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

SciTim!!! Hail fellow well met!! Where ya been? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Been workin'. Making my case for sucking up the nation's resources to do my science.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 12, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Sad about Pekar, though not everyone found his stuff to their taste. Like Faulkner, I suppose.

RT, I think I've mentioned Pastrana in the Boodle before -- how could I have not mentioned that insane New Year's Eve jump? Not to mention the X-Games madness, the Rallying, and I think he even did the Race of Champions one year against the likes of F1 diety Mikey Schumacher and rally god Sebastien Loeb. I seem to remember he did reasonably well.

I also understand that he dusted my brother on a friend's private kart track a couple of weekends back, but hey, so can I... ;>)

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

A worthy pursuit, SciTim... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wilbrod, thanks for the link to the "blind blogger", otherwise I might have missed it. One entry on his blog said that a reporter asked him if he is a "civil rights worker". I'd say yes, and then some. (I know that intersection where Colesville branches off from Georgia Ave. -
murderous to maneuver. I don't think BobS.'s jetpack would help.)

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh -- hi, *Tim.

The science you're doing is important, sir.

The Nukes and I saw "Despicable Me" last night (no, I didn't need a mirror, thankyewverymuch), and I couldn't help but think of ya at a couple of points...

And Scottynuke -- d'ya think Russell Brand should play *Tim in "Boodle: the Motion Picture?" [Yes, I know Jeff Daniels is a good choice, too.]

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I was actually thinking Jeff Goldblum, bc...

As for me? Paul Giamatti.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I've always wished someone would cast Boodle: The Movie for the edification of those of us new to the scene. But then if SciTim could be anywhere on the Russell Brand > Jeff Daniels > Jeff Goldblum continuum I'd still be at a loss.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I actually see SciTim as Anthony Stewart Head.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

And bc's Steve McQueen, natch.

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Yellojkt is definitely Alan Rickman, even if he doesn't sound like him.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I've seen pictures of yello. Much as I like yello and Alan Rickman, I don't see the resemblance. Maybe if Rickman dyed his hair red?

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I take that back. I just googled Rickman and I see he's naturally redheaded. You're absolutely right, Wilbrod. Yello must be played by Rickman.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a Great Goose Removal in Brooklyn and Queens. Canada geese are unwanted anywhere near LaGuardia and Kennedy.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that Canada Geese are unwelcome anywhere near anywhere.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Presumably they're at least nominally edible. Do people, in fact, eat them?

Posted by: bobsewell | July 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering the same, Bob. I mean, did they just toss the carcasses or could they have been donated to a shelter/soup kitchen? Wild geese don't eat the healthiest or most appetizing of diets, so maybe not.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Definitely.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Urban wild geese, I meant. But I see this from an Audubon Society site ---

Diet - Canada Geese are primarily herbivores and feed on a wide variety of plants and aquatic vegetation. In winter and during migration, waste grain left in plowed fields make up the majority of their diet. During the spring and summer, their diets include more green vegetation. Insects, mollusks, crustaceans, and occasionally small fish are also eaten.

Urban populations of Canada Geese have adapted to grazing on domesticated grasses throughout the year. Some local populations in Washington forage on eelgrass.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, people do, but it is illegal to hunt them in this country. However, it has been known that the constabulary has not been informed when one is struck by a car or meets a similar fate, and remarkably little goose road-kill is seen along our thoroughfares.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I suppose that Prospect Park geese might be eating bread, grass contaminated with dog products, and picking up whatever contaminants come with the urban environment.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Edible geese:

I've heard others say they eat too much trash or live in polluted waters in urban areas to be safe to eat, as well, though.

A service like this would probably be more effective, humane and not generate the headlines:

I've worked in 2 state parks, one asked for and sometimes received permission to shake eggs as population control and another used a service similar to the one above. The service was pretty effective for the 11-acre lake. No birds stayed there year-round.

Posted by: MoftheMountain | July 12, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

So Canada geese spend their summers having goslings and growing plump, only to be eaten by goose-hunting Americans? Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware has a 2-week hunting season.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Goldblum? No way, man. Too tall, he's got the crazy-eyes, and he's not suave like me. Also, Tony Head and Jeff Goldblum are too old to express my boyish charm.

Jeff Daniels has that midwestern cluelessness, and with a little dye he could look a great deal like me. I favor him for my part. Or, y'know, I could play myself.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 12, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Aislin's take on Canada Geese. He's a long time cartoonist, an institution really, for the Gazette in Montreal.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

If you're saying that they are protected in Canada and then fly here to be hunted, DotC, that's not really true. Most of the nuisance birds are no longer migratory. They've set up shop year-round. The chase-away services (and hunting) are supposed to get them to migrate again. You know, in theory. That way they don't have a lasting impact on an area and spread the poop around.

There's no way they are going to keep the skies around NYC or any airport goose-free during the migratory seasons if they are on the normal routes, but they can keep that to a few weeks a year by removing the year-round population.

Posted by: MoftheMountain | July 12, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you on the age of Head, SciTim, but I wouldn't underestimate his boyish acting. I see him as more "you" as a storyteller over Daniels.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Goose - Jeff Daniels tie-in ------

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Goldblum ≠ ScienceTim

Jeff Daniels ≅ ScienceTim

ScienceTim = ScienceTim

ScienceTim is a great storyteller. If he can act as well as he tells a story, we got a match. And he'll work a lot cheaper than Daniels!

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope all went well with your sister, TBG! I'm sure she was happy to have you there.

Here's a nice story about a golfer with local ties, Steve Marino, who made these pages last year when he was tied with Tom Watson for the lead at the halfway point of the British Open:

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Inadvertently encouraging Canada geese to become full-time residents has been a long-time problem. Not to mention "short stopping" historic migration routes by providing plush winter quarters north of where the birds historically stopped.

"Fly Away Home" is a classic that I still haven't managed to watch. Getting whooping cranes to migrate to Florida is an ongoing project. There's also the business of Florida having quite a few year-long resident sandhill cranes, as well as serving as winter quarters for migrants.

Florida is the summertime "north" for swallowtail kites, which go somewhere south for the winter.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Boodle: The Movie, eh? Who's going to play Mr. A?

Posted by: MsJS | July 12, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks, sans curls or Edward Norton or some other everyman...with intellectual abilities but no pretense.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 12, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

For myself, Tom Hanks is about as pretentious as they come. He also 'looks' a lot older than Mr. A. I see according to his bio he just turned 54, but he feels ancient.

Posted by: MsJS | July 12, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt?

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, DotC. :)

They'll never discourage the geese if ducks and swans are allowed full time, either. En masse killings of one species don't really solve the problem. It's a bit of a shame, really, and I don't even like the geese.

Night all! Hubby's working late, so it's sushi night! Yum!

Posted by: MoftheMountain | July 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

The Canada Goose, as featured in a true piece of Canadiana, the "Hinterland Who's Who" series of '60s and '70s PSAs: http://www.hww.ca/media_viewer2.asp?id=74&Language=E

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 12, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

byoo, I put your archival material up on the picassa page.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 12, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

My pick for Joel, not that well known but I think he would be great, Tom Cavanagh - and of course he is Canadian :-), aka Ed.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 12, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we cast this movie a couple of years ago? I remember that Helen Mirren is rickoshea, but I've forgotten many of the others.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Brief clip of Bill Leishman for DotC

Posted by: dmd3 | July 12, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, my! Joel is on the PBS Newshour in the opening segment!

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hi all,

Was away, now back. Brief notes:
Fun fact: this has apparently been Houston’s 7th wettest July on record. Ask about our new appreciation of the northern prairie.
Fun fact (TBC): TX’s terms of union allow it to split into five states at a later date.
Mudge: I passed on your regards to TX. TX’s reply was “same to you”, whatever that means.
Thanks to CqP for the virtual present.
Really liked JA’s milestone kit.
Canada Geese are not protected in AB; the season is Sept-Dec.

Posted by: engelmann | July 12, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

But Goldblum's got BRAAAIIINNZZZZ, man!!

OK, how about Harry Anderson? (the judge on "Night Court," for those with short TV attention spans) :-)

engelmann!! Hail fellow well-met! Where ya been? (is there an echo in here?) :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 12, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Same here the Canadas are hunted but the migratories, those that are doing the right thing by flying between James Bay and the US South, take most of the hits. The locals stay within city limits in Ottawa and Gatineau where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm or stick around the federally protected Gatineau park. The main predator of the flying racoon seems to be the Ford F-150.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Harry Anderson's way too old by now.

I missed Joel on PBS by two darned minutes and it's not available on their website yet.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Harry Anderson could work for ScienceTim.

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't know when the Newshour posts video now. I haven't looked at their site in a while. It used to be the following day. Maybe they've gotten faster.

Posted by: -pj- | July 12, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

There's a fellow out there on the intertubes promoting "Wikipedia: The Musical" so nothing would surprise me. He hasn't gotten very far, though.

I think the thing to do with geese is lure them into cages - or the trunk of the car for that matter - with a trail of say, popcorn, or Italian breadcrumbs, and then abscond to a safe location and feed them wholesome chickenfeed and leftover salad and fresh water, until their systems are clear of the foulness and they have gained a pound or two.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 12, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

SciTim!
*Faxin'* all my remaining grant writing mojo to you.
I've just been 'stimulated' for a coupla years.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 12, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

rainforest, thx for the additional example, that was my understanding, using it to "soften" a response. I enjoy being able to consult an expert on the other side of the world!

Posted by: -CB- | July 12, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

A beautiful and gentle lion of God has passed:

RIP, Bill Callahan, S.J.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 12, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

US Commander in Afghanistan is relieved of duty because he talked too much. Canadian Commander is relieved because, well, read for yourself. A hint, Master-Corporal Bianka Langlois is also charged.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

How about Robert Downey Jr. as JA?

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 12, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I call dibs on Anthony Edwards.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 12, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

To heck with Dan Ménard. Where are the pics of Bianka?

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, casting director, Kyra Sedgewick for me, please.

Posted by: -bia- | July 12, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

SCC: Sedgwick (Sorry, Kyra. Will you take the job anyway?)

Posted by: -bia- | July 12, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Traditionally, I'm told that I bring Dustin Hoffman and/or Richard Dreyfuss to mind. (I think it depends largely on what hairstyle & glasses I'm wearing on any given day) But they may both be getting a bit long in the tooth (although I ain't getting any younger) and they both probably cost too much for what should be a bit part.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Dianne Wiest with Bacall's voice.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Same here Bob S. I used to be Dan Aykroyd material but now any top heavy "middle-aged man with glasses" would fill the bill.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Or Georgia O'Keefe (resurrected) with James Earl Jones's voice. Yes, I am *always* mistaken for a man on the phone - my voice is that deep.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Those are two interesting choices, Bob S; they don't look that much alike other than the short curlyish grey hair. I'd cast younger and just dye grey as needed.

Or, call dibs on George Clooney, because hey, he's from Kentucky and lived in Ohio awhile too?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

When I was a young enlisted guy, I participated in an act or two of fraternization (that's the technical term, although we were distinctly not brotherly) with officers that would have gotten us in much trouble (them more than me) had it become general knowledge. C'est la vie. We were single and circumspect, and not working together within a chain of command. I don't think too much damage was done to military discipline & good order.

This situation is probably a bit different.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

We did cast the movie awhile back, but I can't remember who was who, either. How about John Cusack for Joel? Or Kyle Chandler?

Holly Hunter for me - she'd have to use a lot of padding and tone down the Southern accent, and age a bit...

Posted by: seasea1 | July 12, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe George Clooney can play more than one Boodler, come to think of it.

There is no need to find an actor who looks like me; properly played, I should be like Wilson on Tool Time, only perpetually obscured by a huge black dog instead of a fence.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Spacey for Joel? His age is almost perfect. Okay, I'll stop now.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Bob S., but major general to master corporal relationship are quite a bit different. But it was called off by the big bad cops, so the system is working, with a delay...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

CqP is still Tilda Swindon, right?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Still available actors/actresses: Ben Kingsley, Dana Delany, Julianne Moore, Clint Eastwood, Albert Finney (I have no idea what he looks like, but could Mudge get Finney?), Omar Sharif, Jane Seymour.

Posted by: baldinho | July 12, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

SCC SwinTon

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Clint has to direct. We'd be sure to get an Oscar nomination in that category at the very least.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Think I would pick Jamie Lee Curtis.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Regarding geese, it seems that when some landowners complain about geese fouling their lawns on the lakes, the officials in NH do not mess around! From a NH Union Leader article a week or so ago:

On June 23, officials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services were paid by two property owners to round up and euthanize geese that had been fouling their properties. The federal government refused to identify the property owners.
The geese, flightless at this time of year because of moulting, were herded by kayak onto shore with their young, placed in crates, gassed to death in an enclosure, then frozen. Their bodies will be chopped up and fed to captive wildlife, such as bears and raptors at rehabilitation and captive facilities, said Carol Bannerman, public affairs specialist for wildlife services for the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services in Riverdale, Md.

Take that, geese!

Posted by: baldinho | July 12, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, dear, look what I've (re-)started.

Was just thinking of Russell Brand as *Tim, because of the voice role Brand plays in "Despicable Me." Because I actually know *Tim, I suggested/reminded of Daniels for the live-action version.

Even though I'm watching the Home Run Derby at the moment (man, Ramirez was *crushing* line drives over the fence - wow) I'm interested in what's going on at the bottom of the Gulf. They've definitely thought this out a lot, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: -bc- | July 12, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least their bodies were put to some good use.

Bears!

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Voicewise, when the movie was new, I was taken for HAL.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I want Alec Baldwin to play me. If they pick David Keith instead, I swear I will badmouth the whole production mercilessly on The View.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Talitha, not so much anymore, but into my early thirties (especially when I was in a hurry) it was not unheard of for someone to call me "ma'am" on the phone.

Georgia O'Keefe held up pretty well. I saw her briefly at a reception at the High Museum in Atlanta in the late 1970's. We didn't speak, but she spoke for a bit to the folks standing next to me. She flashed me a smile as she was whisked away to another conversation. Even in my teens I appreciated that she (had to be about ninety years old, right?) had a devilish grin, a mischievous twinkle in her eye (even though I don't think she could see very well), and plenty of capacity to surprise you.

I've always had a soft spot for Dianne Wiest. And let's just not get into Lauren Bacall's voice. Grrr...

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Flee, geese, if you know what's good for you!

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I shall play myself;
James Earl Jones in voiceover,
(No makeovers, natch.)

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

You do know how to whistle don't you, Bob?

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I would like Karen Black to represent me, because she's about my age, and sometimes looks beautiful, and others, rough. I know I am mostly ugly, but every now and then quite pretty just by accident.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, you'll never be ugly to me, no matter your outside.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Whistle...Grrrr... Yowza!!

Yoki, I'm not sure you're gonna find a lot of confirmation of your putative ugliness here.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Yoki!!! not so. But I think that Karen Black is an apt comparison. Have you sat in a sink recently?

I am going for Wilford Brimley.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 12, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Bob, I'm glad to hear that O'Keefe still had a twinkle in her eye. I morphed her onto Wiest because I wear my very long hair in a bun. Keeps it out of the loom and works well for reenacting, natch.

I just remembered an odd thing that happened to me in the early 80s. An attendant on a flight from Denver to DC swore I was Rickie Lee Jones (think I was wearing a beret). She had played a gig the night before in Denver. I just played along - why not? (The picture in the link below really does look a lot like me. My son and step-daughter once posted on my facebook page as a joke. It's a long link.)

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Karen Black. But I'd be a bit surprised if she's not old enough to be Yoki's mother. I'm pretty sure she's a bit older than my mother, and I've left all but a teeny-tiny slice of my forties behind me.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

New story on the sealing cap by Achenbach and Flaherty is up on the front page.

So far, it's the best news in months.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 12, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what Joel might think of it, but I can definitely see Spacey pulling it off.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

K.Black turned 71 on July 1st, so yeah, not Yoki!

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Yoki is Celtic tall and lovely: Tilda Swinton/Cate Blanchette but with lux dark mahogany hair. Lovely bones...

SD, I am short. Was mistaken for Eve Plumb/Jan Brady for years in my last year of high school when we moved to CA.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | July 12, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Cool pic, talitha. I can almost see a little Joni Mitchell in there too, although I'm pretty sure she's changed her hair.

Surface stuff. It's all surface stuff.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Amen, Bob. But the voice comes from deep inside. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | July 12, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Of course.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

como una casa que vive dentro de uno

Posted by: russianthistle | July 12, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I'm sorry I logged off whilst all these compliments came in! Thanks, dear ones. From my heart. I feel quite beautiful now.

The Tilda Swinton among us is CquaP; ginger, pale, perfect in bones, and perfect at every angle. (Can you tell I think Tilda is beautiful and unusual? I do.)

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

And, Weed, I've seen you across an IPBH table (sorry we didn't get to speak to each other), and met Wilford Brimley in person (during the making of a movie in Montreal when I was doing entertainment tax releases), and you are much better-looking and younger than Mr. Brimley.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

My Español is a bit rusty.

"como una casa que vive dentro de uno"

Something to the effect that lives are lived within? Or are teeth involved?

Posted by: Bob-S | July 12, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Mine too, Bob S. I'm not quite sure of the construction as is.

"Like a house that one lives inside?"

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 12, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Like a house of teeth. Live one.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

boo!

Posted by: -jack- | July 12, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, you are so sweet. You don't see the resemblance? No... there is an actor who I do resemble. In fact, someone who I now work with went to college with me and made the first observation ...

Here is my theme song:

Posted by: russianthistle | July 12, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Lol jack.

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

new york, new york. what a place. got lost in alphabet city en route to st marks place late one night. didn't stop for much of anything until i found my way out.

Posted by: -jack- | July 12, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoki | July 12, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I didn't live to the ripe old age of nearly fifty by offering advice (or very many opinions) about the appearances of my lady friends. There are men who have that gift, but I'm not among them. The proffer of any such remark is a bit stressful for me, and requires a leap of faith on my part that I won't seem like a creepy jerk.

Tilda Swinton is hauntingly beautiful, and (if memory serves correctly) is about the same age as several of us, to include Joel and Barack Obama. I imagine that if she chose to do so, she could give a credible performance as most of us.

Perhaps a one-woman show?

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Yes. Thank you Bob. Good man.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it's a tricky art. The less obvious usually works better than the obvious, but not many women would take being complimented on their nasal hair grooming in good spirits.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 13, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

wow. go away to the beach for holiday, make one comment, and kill the boodle. could be a record. spent the evening of independence day on the waterfront in wilmington, and saw the fireworks. our boy conquered his fear of such things. in my book, that's quite an accomplishment. brought this to mind. the irony to me is that the original release was so catchy that one could easily miss reading between the lines. not so with this iteration.

Posted by: -jack- | July 13, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

on beauty on the boodle -----

Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts. ~ Martin Buxbaum

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

For Ivansmom:

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with Mr. Buxbaum, talitha.

Here is where I come down hard.

When I was young I was a beautiful girl.

And now that I am old, I am a beautiful old woman.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

And so are you.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Very cool, -jack-. One is left with the impression that Bruce kinda likes that song.

I don't wish to leave anyone with the misimpression that my general discomfort with remarking upon the appearance of my female acquaintances entirely precludes the occasional wolf-whistle or, "Hubba-hubba, baby!!"

I tend to employ them sparingly.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

As you should.

Good night, Boodle. I'm going out front to see the pyrotechnics.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I've spent two weeks in Europe flagrantly impersonating Rick Steves and have yet to be comped anything.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 13, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Boodle beauty is unseen, only spoken from heart to heart - that's what I felt Buxbaum was saying. The courage and grace of aging is beautiful in itself, no matter how it settles outwardly.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

You didn't have a camera crew with you did you, yello? I've enjoyed your dispatches and they've boosted beer sales in the valley here moderately. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I should have said "a modicum".

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Um. Europeans don't comp, 'cause they know it is a scam.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

There is at least one butcher left in the Meatpacking District:

And I personally don't complain about the place being over-run with poorly fed fashion models:

And rather than hide in the bushes, perhaps Joel should have snuck into Pastis which is a direct copy of a Parisian cafe right out of Amelie:

(Sorry for having my wife block the view, but I was trying to shoot the fashion models at the bar and she kept sticking her head in the way)

Posted by: yellojkt | July 13, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I am spending the few moments before breakfast transferring the most recent 14GB of pictures to my laptop for safe keeping. This batch covers Vienna, Munich, Dachau, and the Disneyesque village of Rothenburg.

Today we are going from our hotel in the industrial district of Ludwigshafen to Heidelberg, of which Rick Steves says is so over-run with American tourists that it isn't worth visiting. So rather than get comped anything I expect to be run out of town.

If not perhaps I can sneak in some nude sunbathing this afternoon.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 13, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, when I spent a day there in the mid-1980's, it was a district full of... meat packing warehouses. I was wandering around slightly-buzzed & mostly lost, having gotten bored in Greenwich Village and decided to walk somewhere (anywhere) where I could stand and look at a body of water. I had a river in mind (no specific river, but I was pretty sure that I was on an island surrounded by rivers) (I think I was aware that no oceans were easily at hand), but I'd have settled for a decent-sized pond. After an hour or so of walking, I settled for the beer tap at a bar in the meat packing district. Much fun ensued. Somehow, they discerned almost instantly that I was not, in fact, a meat packer.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Nude sunbathing and meatpacking?
Oh, my.

'night, dear boodle.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Dear Achenbloggers: it has just come to my attention that I apparently "unfriended" someone in Facebook who I value quite highly. I am not at all clear whether I did this through my own operator error or whether one of those danged Facebook-hijacking programs messed me up. If I have inflicted on you the unpleasantness of having unfriended you, please be assured that if I had done it purposely, I would have discussed such a step with you (probably at great length), before doing it, and it would not have come as a startling surprise to you. I can only recall explicitly unfriending one person, and he is not any of you.

If I have done you wrong, please drop me a line on Facebook and give me the chance to mend my mistake.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 13, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to think of New York City as harboring pockets of naive simplicity, but as recently as 25 years ago, there was at least one part of Manhattan where when someone asked me, "You're not a meat packer, are you?" there was no irony, no smirk, no intended sexual under-or-overtone. It was just a question about where I worked.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

No offense meant, Bob. *sigh* I've grown too soon old and too late smart.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

SciTim - This is exactly the sort of cold, calculating strategy that you planetary scientists are accustomed to employing, ain't it?

First you pretend that you "un/de/mis-friended" us through no intentional fault of your own, and you're shocked to find that there's any gambling taking place here.

Then comes the part where you're sorry that you didn't receive our plaintive pleas to be reinstated as your pals, because you were very busy on Titan or Mauna Kea, or cleaning Pluto's kennel, or somewhere or something.
-----------------------------

By the way, I'm doubting that Talitha, Shrink, and maybe a couple of others have run across your team's take on the music of the spheres.

"Hotel Mauna Kea"

"Midnight Sky "

"Getting Lucky at the Cassegrain"
----------------------------

There are more, but only so many links will make the jump. Tim's team rocks! (& blues, & bluegrasses!)

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Uh-oh -- Bob has sussed me.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 13, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

talitha - Oh no, you didn't! Trust me, it takes much much more than that to offend me. (As Tim knows full well, no matter what I said above!)

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, Bob. *Tim rawks.

Posted by: Yoki | July 13, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

And go collect data till the dawn!!!
I love it.
Loved them all, but I'm partial to the Gershwin as it was my son's favorite lullaby.

Out-standing. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Tim, if I correctly identified you and you don't play yourself in the movie, J.Daniels is perfecto. You and your colleagues leave me (almost) speechless.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 13, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Once again, I've let hours pass before thanking someone for a great comment or link.

russianthistle - I am now a freakishly devoted fan of the Ukulele Orchestra. It took about three minutes. Thanks!

[ In a fairly rare move, I'll probably copy & paste this comment into the next caboodle if it doesn't seem to have found its intended audience by then. I am LOVING the UOoGB! ]

[[ I'm also amusing myself greatly by trying to decide how I wish to pronounce "UOoGB", but that's only tangentially Weed's fault. ]]

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm kinda liking "Wow-goob".

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 3:46 AM | Report abuse

"Woo-goob"

Posted by: Bob-S | July 13, 2010 3:48 AM | Report abuse

I am pleased to note that I wrote about 2/3 of the lyrics to the Gershwin parody. In some of the others, I am merely a pretty face. I also have "Mr. Ranger Man" in stock, all written by me, myself, in honor of the Mauna Kea rangers. However, after consultation with the Office of Mauna Kea management, we have come to the conclusion that we must never produce it. Despite the fact that the song praises the rangers and derides tourists and other stupid people who come up the mountain unwisely or incautiously and treat the mountain and its hazards and its cultural significance with disrespect, the fact is that the song is funny -- at least, it tries to be funny. There are contingents for whom no haole has the right to publicly say anything funny related to Mauna Kea; and, after the way that Westerners (and particularly mainlanders) have treated the mountain and the people, one can hardly blame them for being a bit thin-skinned on the subject. Our goal is to show a little of what the mountain experience is like, humorously, and not to create unnecessary trouble. Stirring up that crowd would have been unnecessary trouble.

I had a whole vision in which we would see the Rangers in various phases of the job -- guiding folks who came up for the snow and blocking non-4WD vehicles from driving in the snow, directing traffic, checking road speed, etc. A ranger who retired a few years ago is a respected Hawaiian elder. If we could have gotten him to sign on, I think we could have done it. However, he retired before I wrote it. Alas.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 13, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Staying up late to work on a proposal; sometimes I just gotta take a break.

Posted by: ScienceTim | July 13, 2010 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. TBG, glad your sister is feeling well, and Vintage Lady, I hope you continue to improve.

Love the pictures, JA, but the parking thingy does look dicey.

The local evening news, which would be Charlotte for me, presented the saddest story I've heard in awhile. Through grant money and private donations, I suspect, an organization built a shower and bathroom facility for people living on Black Man Road in South Carolina. Families live in homes without running water of or even toliets or bathrooms. There is a seventy-five cent charge to use this facility. This, my friends is in the United States of America, state of South Carolina, in the year 2010.

My heart broke, tears fell, and still this morning, I cannot think of this without choking and more tears. If this is our best as a people and a country, God have mercy on our souls.

Posted by: cmyth4u | July 13, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Lots of discussion on good looks. I'd add that, to me, there is a big difference between being PRETTY and being BEAUTIFUL. I'd take beautiful every time.

Posted by: baldinho | July 13, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

All the lady Boodlers are beautiful, the guys are handsome, and the BoodleSpawn all above average. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 13, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Tim and Cassandra posts back-to-back. We ARE an active group. Constructive and Productive and very very friendly.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 13, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Snuke... and all the children are above average.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 13, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Actually, whenever I envision a filmed version of the boodle, I keep thinking about shadow puppets.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 13, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

You know, that parking garage is vaguely unsettling. It reminds me of the carrying case my son used to have for his Matchbox car collection.

And talk about being parked in! Heck, without a lot of messing about you can't even get to your vehicle. Heaven help anyone who forgets his briefcase.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 13, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, you've broken my heart too.

Posted by: -dbG- | July 13, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

No no, RD_P... Muppets!!!

SciTim could only be Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.

But I think bc, RD_P and I would have to play rock, paper, scissors for Beaker.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 13, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Gut morninkzz, Boodle!

My computer hard drive failed the other day.

Now I´m back in action and capable of complaining about winter. Today, flights were delayed in and to Santiago due to ice on the runway.

Warching the Boodles six o´clock.
Expect the Neocons to stard drumming for war against Iran by around Labor Day.

Brag :)

Posted by: Braguine | July 13, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, everyone. Hi Cassandra! I didn't catch that story, I'll have to go and look for it. I expect that it's not the only place in the US where no adequate bathroom facilities exist. We have far, far, far to go.

The story that has caught my heart this week is the one of the guy in Gaston County who shot his girlfriend and all three of their children, killing three of the four, and then killing himself. Untreated mental illness strikes again. We have so, so far to go.

Posted by: slyness | July 13, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Oy, what a world. Even as we light the candles of love and learning and industry in the cold dark universe, there's still wrestling over who gets to hold them. And who has the smoke blowing into their faces.

Posted by: -bc- | July 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Posted by: -bc- | July 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

slyness, I really can't believe that we don't do much more to help those with mental health challenges. We resist treating them as a community and such an action can be just what it takes to trigger a huge and sad episode.

Under the current economic stress and the stress of war, for many, those people who know that they need assistance should receive help, not only for them, but all those around them.

I am frankly amazed that we don't see more of this. With all the foreclosures and the negative attitude in the Hill about unemployment insurance, we have created a class of people who just have a hard time getting up in the morning.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 13, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Whoops. Browser issues strike again.

Apologies for the duplicate posts.

The melancholy of a rainy morning.

Posted by: -bc- | July 13, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Beaker? C'mon, S'nuke -- I'm Animal.

I have the hair and elocution down pat.

Posted by: -bc- | July 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, sausage patties & eggs, fresh berries, coffee and OJ on the table.

Missed the PBS Newshour last evening, but caught Mr. A's clip online this morning.
*sound of many cheers from CasaJS*

I've decided Mr. A should do the daily briefing rather than Thad Allen. They'd be a lot more fun to listen to.

Posted by: MsJS | July 13, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I thought martooni was Animal... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Um, Martooni - fair enough.

Posted by: -bc- | July 13, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

In the whimsical department, I'm working on my latest money origami gift creation.

These little critters are clearly too happy to have come from the Gulf of Mexico.

Posted by: MsJS | July 13, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reminder to listen to Joel, MsJS. He did a great job of explaining the cap thingy. But that's not a surprise.

Off to the dentist. I'm busier now that I'm unemployed than I ever was when I worked. Poorer too, but I'm much more fortunate than many whose unemployment benefits have been exhausted, so I will not complain.

I'm nursing a small sunburn from the beach yesterday, made sure the granddaughters were protected, forgot myself, duh! Stay cool everyone.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 13, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

New kit!

Posted by: MsJS | July 13, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

To finish the pretty/beautiful thought. Beautiful is an added dimension. You can look at someone and tell if they are pretty or not. You have to know someone to tell if they are beautiful.

In my world, at least.