Strasburg delivers

Stephen Strasburg july 3 2010-1.jpg

My friends Chris and Tracey had an extra ticket to the Strasburg -- excuse me, the Nationals game on Saturday and it turns out their seats are basically so close to the field you have to perform the functions of the first base coach. We were in the ear of the Mets pitcher, Dickey, all day, and I'm speaking literally. Anyway, as you can see, I've got some action shots here of Stephen Strasburg doing his thing. Notice in this first picture how he's thinking about which of his 17 different pitches he's going to throw. Look very closely at his fingers -- had any of these shots been in focus the forensics would be easier -- and notice that what makes Strasburg so special and so devastating is the extra digit. Two index fingers -- double the rotation, four times the bend on the breaker.

strasburg-1.jpg

Now here he is throwing the ball, and you see that although he's 6 feet 4 inches he is able, through limberness, to extend his body to roughly 13 linear feet, enabling him to release the ball nearly halfway to home plate.

strasburg finishing throw-1.jpg

And one leg disappears completely. That throws off the batter. Batter thinks: Where's his dadgum leg?????????????? [Whiff.]

By Joel Achenbach  |  July 5, 2010; 9:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oil spill: war room
Next: The Grid

Comments

The thing about the leg disappearing is that, if it doesn't reappear quickly, his pitching career is basically a one-shot wonder. No matter how good that may be, it isn't worth $30+ million.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm OK with Strasburg staying home for the All-Star game. The NL will get along fine (translation: continue its losing streak against the AL) without him.

Besides, we need to keep that disappearing leg a secret for as long as possible.

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Will someone come over here and make me a pot of coffee? I feel so lazy. It is hard to believe that I actually got up out of bed.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 5, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

How much of a secret can it be with all the nationwide exposure and a bone-ee-fyde pitcher of same on the A-blog, Scotty?

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Regular or decaf, Weed? Care for a muffin (raisin bran or bananananana-walnut)? How about some fresh blueblackstrawberries?

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

MsJS, I have the coffee... I don't have the energy. Santa Rita Black and Tan from farm in Copan, roasted a week ago. ... high test. It is a blend of Full City Roast, French Roast and Vienna Roast.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I am usually not a muffin eater. They sound good right now.

Posted by: russianthistle | July 5, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

That was a read-out-loud kit, Joel. So funny and looks like you had a great time. After looking at your pictures, though, I have a strange urge to purchase GEICO insurance. Go figure.

Got up late this morning. Like some of you here, we had fireworks going off nearby until at least 3:30 am. What are these folks thinking?

Then I read this tweet this morning by someone who goes by Awryone, posted last night at 11:30: "ENOUGH WITH THE FIREWORKS ALREADY. America is 234 years-old and my guess is she's TRYING TO SLEEP."

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

*measuring coffee*
*pouring water*
*brew brew brew*

All set, Weed! Smells great!

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The Hat Lady just got the latest and bestest Crackberry, free.

I wonder if she'll become a twitter.
QE_II @executioner: off with their heads @kennelman : feed the Corgis

I wonder why I want to watch Fox right now?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I may well be in the minority, but I kinda like the fireworks late at night sort of thing.

Yes, they are illegal here. Like that's going to stop folks from shooting them off.

Yes, they can be dangerous. Ditto.

I wouldn't want this every night, but if people want to celebrate this way a couple of times a year (Independence Day and New Year's) and can do so without harm, I'm fine with it.

The last blast I heard in my neighborhood was at about 2:30am. There have been a few stragglers this morning as well.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

As I am sure you realize, Mr. Achenbach, you are a privileged individual indeed to have attended that game. For not only did you get to see Strasburg pitch, you also got to witness a far rarer event - the Nationals scoring actual runs. I mean, how about that walk-off single by Pudge? That was, like, epic.

I just hope the celebratory victory pile didn't leave too many bruises.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

MsJS - In general I agree. But after two hours of dealing with a hysterical Cairn Terrier, not to mention having to run outside twice because errant fireballs landed in my crispy dry lawn, I start to get a little cranky.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

bh, you're great. Thanks for all the details!

Posted by: -bia- | July 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I get it, RD. Around here the lawns are well watered, thanks to a wetter-than-average June. And the dogs, well, there's not much one can do. We used to mega-exercise ours in the afternoon and early evening to poop her out. That helped some.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

We have a storm drainage culvert next to my house. The "kids" who are up at 3:30 am like to set off firecrackers in it to hear the BOOM. This is about 25 feet from my bedroom. That's why I'M cranky about it.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It's our little Boodle secret, MsJS... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, I invite you to Google
Strasburg leg disappears
and see what pops up first.

The 'secret' is national, international, yea, intergalactic! Though the 5th-dimensional life forms on Venus probably don't care much.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

And that Google result, MsJS, is what's known as a Boodle Secret!

:-)

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

As one commenter points out, this guy must like the word "Kafkaesque"...

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I gotta learn how to do that.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"...so special and so devastating is the extra digit. Two index fingers..."

So, I guess I am the only one who thinks impure thoughts at this suggestion.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Do any of you have inked kids?
I think I am getting old, because if this were my daughter, I'd be disappointed.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

My daughters are inked, as I am. No disappointment here.

Posted by: Yoki | July 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

TBG, re the late night fireworks, not positive but I think it a good guess that alcohol may be involved.

I am calming down from being cranky, this morning I was driving eldest to summer school (choice not necessity) and younger child to the bus for summer camp. Had it timed perfectly, to the school for eldest we left 15 minutes early next closest high school to us leaving me ample time to get back to near our house to drop younger child.

Almost at the first stop eldest informs me she is attending a different school, in the north end of the city and back in the direction of where we started.

Hit every red light on the way there and every slow driver.

Made it to both locations with a minute or so to spare. I am one of those people who has fits about being late, just not the way to start the day - and a very hot day at that, been over 30c for several hours now about 33c right now and muggy

I have nothing re Strasburg sorry.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The fashion for tattoos has been spreading for a long time. In the late 90s, the supermarket on southeast Portland's Hawthorne Blvd was in a low-budget neighborhood (albeit with two branches of Powell's Books) and evening grocery procurement meant people-watching. Like the guy with a dragonfly on his forehead and another with a black streak down the middle of the forehead. Looked like he'd been at a strange ashram. I think the term "trustafarian" might have been invented in that neighborhood.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I do, although my "kid" is 29 and he got his tattoos about 5 years ago. I was glad I didn't have to fight him about tattoos and piercings when he was a teenager. I didn't know he had tattoos till last December, when he had a Tshirt on. He has the quotation from Dune, "Fear is the mind killer", in script on his right arm, and "I must not fear" on his left. I was shocked, but thought it was hilarious that he had hidden them from us for 5 years!

I don't like tattoos or piercings at all - I don't even have my ears pierced because I'm too squeamish.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

No ink yet, and if they get any it will upset several generations. Both dmdspouse's father and grandfather were merchant marine, eldest a lifelong sailor and captain - he insisted on one thing from his son - no tattoos, the son in turn passed that on to his son (dmdspouse).

We are trying to milding influence our kids by passing on the information that tattoos are applied via needles, they don't like needles. So far it is working, but utimately it will be for them to decide.

We are still trying to get used to younger child's new short haircut, looks adorable but quite the change about 5-6 inches cut off. She looks so grown up.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

One of those odd coincidences: yesterday both bh and I advised bia to see the redwoods on her trip to California and Oregon. And this morning our paper had an article on a study that is starting which will look at the redwoods and global warming --

Posted by: nellie4 | July 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"I think the term "trustafarian" might have been invented in that neighborhood."

*snickering* ...indeed.

I suppose I am not for or against tattoos.
It is just that those wings on this girl look, I don't know, silly, though not as bad as the but wings of a tramp stamp. Maybe it isn't "done" yet and there will be some kind of body inserted later this week.

We have an inpatient who has her first name on one forearm and her last name on the other, in 2" letters, just in case of an identity crisis, I guess. Then there are those face tatts that scream "lunatic" at every job interview.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Good day, all.

A fine time grillin' & chillin' with the Nukes yesterday, including some amusing observations regarding folks' abilities to consider risk and consequence.

Sometimes we humans are pretty good at gaugung such things, other times, not so much.

Weather report last night called for 104 deg F. here today, and somehow even hotter tomorrow. Supposed to go to a barbecue today; we'll see how much of it is actually outside. Aside from the grilling, that is.

I've heard folks who sound like they can play base and melody at the same time on some stringed instruments (like guitar), but I've always suspected that

Have a good day, all.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -bc- | July 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"...looks adorable..." that is a sweet thing. Some faces can do short hair beautifully, others tend to look like political prisoners.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

//We have an inpatient who has her first name on one forearm and her last name on the other//
lack of imagination, perhaps?

I used to work with a man who had the names of his children (but not his 3+ wives) tattooed on his arm, hearts, flourishes. Much more impressive if he'd paid child support.

Personally, I like jewelry (surprise!).

Now, who wants to bet the catchphrase of the summer is "It's all fluffy!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82utG7Q3G_k&feature=related

Posted by: -dbG- | July 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Very annoying headline front & center of the home page:

"Tea Party members hone in on the Constitution"

No, they aren't. Like pigeons & missiles, they're homing in upon their target.

As far as I can tell, the offending usage isn't repeated in the article, so this one's strictly the fault of the headline folks.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

BobS, here's M-W's take on that:

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

dbG, loved that, we have spent way too much money on those games while the kids attempted to win a prize. One year we just gave up and dmdspouse gave them $20.00 so the eldest could have the unicorn she wanted. And it was "quite fluffly"

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Personally, I like jewelry (surprise!)."
---dbG

Another great Boodle Secret!

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

M-W and I are in complete agreement. A fair number of people use it, and they're all incorrect.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Great story Joel, I am always impressed by your ability to toggle between the deadly serious and the whimsical. One of the teams we were watching yesterday at the Cape league game could have used Strasburg, when we left it was 11 to 4 in the seventh and the losing team was on its fifth pitcher.

I am home from dog duty and off to shower and maybe nap. Luckily, if there were fireworks going at all hours last night, the fan in one room and the air conditioner in the other covered the noise and the dogs were oblivious.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Probably has nothing to do with the fact that I left a comment at the story and fired off e-mail messages to Amy Gardner and the National desk, but the offending headline has been changed.

Posted by: Bob-S | July 5, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

BobS, you really homed in on that. Great job!

sneaks, I'm glad the dogs were oblivious. I say you deserve a short nap. And an iced orange cookie. Or two.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The fireworks were too far away on Canada day but the pyrotechnics of the closing ceremony of the St-Jean festivities at the nearby marina led to a major stress-induced drooling episode. Even the VLP looked embarrassed by the size and mumber of puddles of gooey stuff he left around the place.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

For leatherthumb

and the rest of the album if...

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 5, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I just broke a sweat watering plants, I was standing in the shade holding the hose - that is hot. This Canuck is not made for this heat.

Feel like 109 - that's crazy. I realize those from southern climes are chuckling, call it payback for the smirks that I may have had at your snow (even though it was significant).

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Happy day after the day before. I'm soooooo glad I work at home. That means that I won't have to go out all week. Now, normally, I'd take a break and get outta here, but with the hellishness of week's temperatures, I can take a bit of cabin fever in my stride. I don't mind saunas, but only if there's a frozen-cold lake to jump into afterwards. Although, the last time I did that (in Sweden 30-some-odd years ago) I ended up with a misdiagnosed case of pneumonia. So, you know, *never mind*. . . .

The fireworks last night (at least offa PBS were cool. One of these days (post all body surgery, of course) I may haul myself down to the Mall to watch them up close again. It's been too many years since I've done that. But on a hot evening and no crowds, it's very nice to have a good seat and watch all the festivities without craning my neck or stepping on people who get in the way.

And, we all know, that tomorrow will be "Monday" and the next day will also be "Monday" and so it goes. Hard to be in sync.

Carry on . . . .

Posted by: -ftb- | July 5, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

No tattoos for me or my progeny yet. I'm told that perhaps the best place in the word for photorealistic black and white tattoos is right here in Prague. Perhaps a Vonnegut portrait on one of my triceps.

In Berlin it seemed that body art and piercings were mandated as a condition of reunification.

Today I had a Radler with lunch and a Budvar with dinner. So many beers and so little time.

In our group we had a difference of where to go with our free time. Four went to the Kafka Museum but my wife, myself and another person went to the Mucha Museum instead.

It seems that many of the teenagers on the trip with us (from another area) went to the Sex Machine Museum.

And they even got the student discount.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 5, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

dmd, I'd be up to my neck in the pool, if I were you. It's not quite as hot here but I'm still feeling it. May have to go lie down in the air conditioned bedroom. "S" informed me that we have an even-odd water restriction! After the rains of March I am flabbergasted at this, but I guess the lawn will just have to be brown. I will make sure the flowers and shrubs get water on the 'even' days tho'.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Re ink: People do worse to their bodies in the name of beauty, Shrink. Stomach stapling, tummy tucks, face lifts, botox.

Scarification and tattooing is probably older than much of Western mythology, dating to the Neolithic or before. Tattooes have been found on mummies.

Piercing my ears was enough for me.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

As we were watching the international weather forecast last night, we were stunned to see DC calling for 40. That is brutal hot. I had to do a double take because it is almost never that hot around there.

It was the high 20s today in Prague but tolerable in the shade. A nice change from Berlin where it was low 30s and bright.

It's supposed to be only a high of 23 in Budapest on Wednesday, which would be heavenly.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

ftb, today's sinfest is for you:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 5, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

At my friend's bbq last night, I met a woman who was soon returning for a followup colonoscopy because they had found something precancerous during her last such procedure. They tattooed the spot so they could be sure to check it again for any new growth.

We were discussing what kind of tattoo and decided it would be pretty funny if she had an elegant "Mother" tattooed somewhere on her colon.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes. I do hope the wings acquire an angel, too. Perhaps her name is Angel and she intended they should be her wings. If so, I hope her last name never becomes Hogg.
Bob S-- I wish I could go back in time to ask Strunk and White to add one more tip: Eschew easily-mangled cliches.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

DNA_Girl -- I cannot, no I simply *cannot*, thank you enough for that cartoon. I may even laugh myself to sleep tonight, while clutching my . . . um, you know. . . .

*double snort*

Posted by: -ftb- | July 5, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

If so, she should definitely get pictures taken.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

shrink... in general I'm not fond of ink, but individually I've learned to love it. I think the angel wings are a bit much, but kind of nice at the same time. At least they won't show under business attire.

I've said it here before, but Son of G says every time he's thought about getting a tattoo he pictures himself in the pool with his grandchildren.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Late to the convo here, but inked kids, shrink? Bwhahahah! Tastefully but definitively inked. Choose the hill you want to die upon was my motto.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 5, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ftb, I've done the fireworks on the Mall thing after two failed attempts (rain-out and unable to drive in).
Not doing it ever again; getting out of DC afterwards is just torture.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

DNA_Girl, I showed it to my little boys and they like it, but they don't think it is funny. Benny the elder said, "Cool!" Dominic said, "Popi, can I have one of those?"

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

seasea, "Fear is the little mindkiller" is my inner mantra . . . . . tattooed on my brainstem.

Thanks for the music for leatherthumb, DNAgirl. He looked at and loved all the Sinfest comix you posted during the time he was here. If he posts on the A-blog I won't be a tad surprised. Gonna be quiet around here with him gone.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Wee houses:

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Yike, just looked outside, 35C in the shade, and that spot has been shaded all day not just recently.

Off to pick up younger one for camp, what a day to start outdoor camp.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of wee, any news of the other gnome?

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 5, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

yello, Mucha frenvious!

Posted by: talitha1 | July 5, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of wee houses, I wonder what Martooni's been up to. He hasn't posted in ever so long.

Hey Toons!!!!!! You are missed, sir. Give a shout.

Posted by: -ftb- | July 5, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I am envious of yello. Prague is a blast. I went there (to Czechoslovakia) in 1991, it was wild. No one knew what the rules were. On one very hot day we say a whole family biking naked to a picnic in the countryside. Their money was worthless, so everything seemed free to us. The finest vodka was a lot cheaper than gasoline (my head hurts just thinking about it). Havel was everyone's hero then. Hotel access was tightly controlled and heavily taxed, but people double bunked with relatives to let their downtown flats to tourists for ~15$ a night. Amazing castles, churches, museum's etc., the best beers and everyone was intensely friendly, very intensely friendly, to an American couple in a nice (rental) car with Swiss license plates.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

leatherthumb told me Prague is his favorite European city. City, mind you, since he notes that certain fjords in Norway and a few choice spots in the Aegean would be suitable for happily lolling away a few weeks, too.

Posted by: talitha1 | July 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Good day to have access to a pool; 33C/92F on the thermometer and 44C/111F on the Humidex. The Big Dog is lethargic.

What to cook in this weather? I don't want to fire up the oven. BBQed steaks and green beans, cold pork and green beans, cold pok and cucumber slices?

Martooni's commercial site is still up, that is a good sign, I hope.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 5, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Strasburg leg disappears" is a GoogleNope.

Posted by: -pj- | July 5, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

shriek... I think you should add green beans to that menu.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Popping in to say hi, hope everyone's having a happy holiday.

Not big on baseball, but I admire the beauty of the exceptional athlete. I love the second snap...made me go watch this.

Music's not all that great, but it is excellent footage of what a gifted athelete looks like in motion. Why I wanted to grow up to be Gayle Sayers.

May Strasburg hold such a tender spot in a fan's heart going up on fifty years out.

Popping out. Have a very happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | July 5, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

My outdoor thermometer - sitting in the sun at the moment - says 128.7 deg. F. (Was over 133 yesterday). So much for accuracy.

Drove past the local BP gas station this afternoon, noticed that they've changed their signage, even though the place is less than two years old. The green and yellow sun insignia is larger than ever, and the "bp" is now only on the main sign, way up top, and has a revised logo featuring the Big Green Sun and "bp" in lower case and in a very thin font in the upper left hand corner. Easy to miss those letters if you're not looking for them.

I wonder if BP's US arm will go back to the red, white, blue, and black and the "Amoco" name soon...?

As far as ink goes, I believe that to be a personal choice.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Sure, but if your daughter came home with those wings stamped on her back, just like that, for the rest of her life, would you care one way or another? I was guessing I'd be disappointed, probably blame myself. But I am old; I think I missed the boat on body art in general. Or maybe it is a raised ultra-orthodox Catholic thing.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I watched Strasburg pitch for one inning on the TV over the weekend. He was "struggling" with command. He was still pretty darn good.

On the topic of baseball, I enjoy the choice of music players make for their approach to the plate, or better yet, entrance from the bullpen.

This song would be likely the least probable for a closer to enter the game to. However, closers, if you chose this, you would have one fan forever in baldinho.

I feel stupendously happy every time I watch this.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 5, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

baldinho, how to you change your name.
I am really sick of Shrink2; it seemed funny at the time, already many years ago, but it just isn't. baldinho, now that is hilarious, I smile each time I see it. You have to grab a new gmail address and teach your computer and the blogs to recognize it so you don't have to sign in manually each time, right?

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

While I've made it clear that I have no issues with tattoos in general, I would look at my kid funny if she came home with those wings, because I think they're tacky, cliched and self-congratulatory. In other words, art yes, bad art no. I would certainly blame myself if they didn't have a better aesthetic sense than that. I would wonder where I'd gone wrong.

Posted by: Yoki | July 5, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Octopi have no choice in the matter, bc... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 5, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

OTOH, I'm always surprised when my kid shows good judgement or taste...I claim no credit for it! As for his tattoos, I love Dune and the quote, but they cover his inner arms from shoulder to wrist. Which is also why it's so funny I didn't see them...

Changing your email should prompt a change in your login id - that's what happened to me.

Posted by: seasea1 | July 5, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey.

Somebody mentioned Scomas in SF yesterday. I meant to second that choice. Fabulous seafood, it's a place Mr. T and I go every time we're inn the area.

My favorite tattoo was the crown of thorns around the head of a waiter in the Denny's at Fishermen's Wharf. He had his head shaved, of course, otherwise it would have been invisible.

Still under the weather, but for a good cause. Tomorrow it will all be better.

Posted by: slyness | July 5, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Shrink, I had to work hard to avoid the WaPo recognition police. I used a different email address as a base reference, and tried to avoid providing a lot of the same persoal information. The first attempt, baldinho, was only good for a couple days before they auto-set me back to steveboyington.

Hot up here, but it sounds like it is hot everywhere.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 5, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry the process is so hard on you, slyness. I'm lost in admiration that you're soldiering on.

Posted by: Yoki | July 5, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I loathe tattoos with one exception. Frostniece the eldest, an exotic beauty (think Iman) has one arm done from shoulder to wrist. It is quite striking, but one does wonder what time will do.

Frostdottir has a hideous tattoo, of her own design, almost from elbow to wrist on the inside of her right arm. This is how she discovered that grandparents lie. The dott- "But Ma, I e-mailed Grandma Frost-in-law a picture of it and she said she likes it." me- "Yeah right."

Hope our mild weather finds it way east soon. We hit 84 but without much humidity it was just a pleasant summer day.

Take care of yourself slyness!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 5, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hot enough to cancel my daughters softball practice, much more civilized than soccer - they never cancel, or hockey for that matter.

We have cooled off to a tepid 35C.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Turns out to be peppers steaks and green beans by myself.
The Fungi disappeared and witch. no. 1 never showed up.

I've said it before but I worked for the Navy almost 10 years. I've warned the kids about tattooes that turn out as blue smudges 30 years down the line. Or the dreaded BRENDA printed on an arm that divorced said Brenda 30 years ago.

Bob Probert just died. I never liked ihm as a player but dying that young (45) isn't fair either.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I apologize for the all caps. It's a cut-and-paste from the Nat'l Hurricane Ctr.
1. A SMALL WELL-DEFINED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 50 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA IS MOVING ONSHORE
TERREBONNE PARISH NEAR CAILLOU BAY. DOPPLER RADAR AND SATELLITE
DATA INDICATE THAT SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE COULD
OCCUR ACROSS TERREBONNE PARISH...ESPECIALLY IN TERREBONNE
BAY...LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING AS THE SYSTEM MOVES
ONSHORE. THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM
BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE BEFORE IT MOVES ONSHORE. THIS SYSTEM
WILL MOVE SLOWLY NORTHWESTWARD AFTER LANDFALL AND PRODUCE LOCALLY
HEAVY RAINFALL OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN
LOUISIANA. INTERESTS SHOULD MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY THEIR LOCAL
NATIONAL WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL UPDATES AND ANY
WATCHES OR WARNINGS.

This system is poised to dump oil-infused rain on inland Louisiana. Ugh.

Posted by: MsJS | July 5, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

When I think shoes, I think LiT's got some serious Stuart Weitzmans to stand on, too. Lady knows her shoes, for sure.

Speaking of, thanks for the Sayers vids, ma'am.

Y'know Shrink, I don't think I'd be upset if one of mine had those wings done (hey, oldest is in college, she could if she wanted to). But then, I'm not old. I was raised Catholic too, FWIW. Catholic schools, Altar-boy, etc. I've heard of Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox, but not Catholic Ultra-Orthodox.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 5, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Shrink, regarding tatoos, I have strong opinions. They are along the line of in some countries the lower classes are marked with tattoos to set them aside from the rest. It is done by the others so that they know their place in society, as a badge of warning or shame.

In the US, the lower classes choose to brand themselves. They do it almost as a middle finger to the rest. They take pride in that.

Both actions achieve the same result.

Of course, not all tattoos are by the working classes or by the lower ends of the economic ladder. There are outliers. They are few.

We just spent 3 days in a campground. Pretty working class clientele. We fit right in. Lots of tattoos. In that regard we were outliers.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 5, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

A very pleasant 79F here on the left coast today with a yj dew point of 22. Atually the same temp as the coast in Brookings.
Worked at the Britt yesterday cleaning up after the Taj Mahal concert. Got off early and have laying around ever sense regenerating. Having last night's warmed over penne garlic chicken for dinner today.

Lost in thought, Ah the fond memories of a 49er fan of that day in Chicago. Saw that game on TV. I wonder how the defenses of today would react.

bia, Glad you appreciated the info. Get reservations now as most of these places are in demand year round. Let us know how it went.

yj, how did they preserve all the museum pieces during WW11?

Posted by: bh72 | July 5, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't even like freckles on myself so I'd never get a tat. #2 has three small ones, a bracelet of tiny dog paws, an anklet of vines with her husband's initials (she got this years before they married) and a small windsurfer in an undisclosed location. When I see someone with large tattoos, I always wonder how they'll look when the person is 60 or 70 and gravity has done its work. I would think that no matter what great design one thinks up, eventually it will be 'dated', sort of like a harvest gold refrigerator...But chacun a son gout.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 5, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

//Next thing you're going to tell me is some cockamamy story about Yoki and shoes. //

Or TBG and Mianus, Cassandra and church or you and cookies.

Posted by: -dbG- | July 5, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: Yoki | July 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't think you have to be extremely orthodox catholic to be puzzled about the appeal of permanent body graffiti, Shrink.

Not everybody knows the graffiti joy of Disco Dan or the irony of "Surrender Dorothy", after all.

(Those are inside Beltway references-- google or ask.)

My guess is if, gun to your head, you had to pick a tattoo to endure, you might order a very small one reading: "Lot 49."

As an aside, Dr. Hilarius is probably not available as a boodle handle.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

'Cuse me. Cool Disco Dan.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

But you can't go wrong with a Fighting Hellfish tattoo, even decades later.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually tattooes are popular because famous (and often wealthy) people in the mass media have tattooes.

My parents were born blue-class and nobody in their families would have had a tattoo-- or admitted to any (except for the occasional soldier relative, but I haven't heard about those.)
Body piercing wasn't that approved of either. I know a relative who pierced his lip (among other things) in part to assert his utter break from his sheltered, vanilla upbringing.

Some people need to make that declaration that they are no longer the people others knew; they now belong to a different group. In that way, they're not too far off how many tribes use tattooing or scarification to mark the onset of adulthood; they can brave the pain of life and longer need to be coddled.

On the other hand, I've heard of rich parents keeping their kids reliant on them until they die. Messes their kids up.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Such interesting reading,
have little boodle time.

"Catholic Ultra-Orthodox" existed.
Probably not anymore.

St Joseph and Collegeville in the 50s and early 60s. I could tell you stories, but I'd have to pay you.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

nellie, I read that guy's story in the New Yorker a few years ago. Unbelievable how high they climb around in the 300 footers. His wife does it too.
My uncle took me through a trip through the redwoods from Redding CA when I was about eleven and have loved them ever after after.
I found Russian Gulch redwood state park in 1962 and picked an abalone high and dry off the rocks that day wearing cowboy boots. Been back every spring on the first or second low tides whenever we were in the country. Technology for keeping warm while picking abs went from long johns, two pair of levies and dish washing gloves to eventual wet suits (the water temp is 55F). People ask what do you do over there after getting up at dawn and going down to get your abs? I always say, 'lying on the grass and looking up and listen to the redwoods grow.' Though sometimes on a windy night you hear a mighty giant give up and fall. Sad

bia, Lay down on the ground with your back to the big redwood at Prairie Creek and look up.

Posted by: bh72 | July 5, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

For anyone in the mood for a stellar rant, here's Charlie Brooker's latest:

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 5, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

No tattoos in our family, white northern european Kansas farm stock, but my wife has a little rose where it doesn't show. I bruise very easily and being around musical performers, people look at my arms and think did he have one removed? I get stuck often enough around the brier patches to not want to have it purposely done.
When I was in the Coast Guard, circa 1961, never saw one and beards were discouraged.

Posted by: bh72 | July 5, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I remember staying at the redwood national park hostel a bit south of Crescent city and going across the road in my jammies before dawn to visit the sea. All alone.

That felt almost as good as walking on beaches in Cape Cod in december.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes a tattoo is just a tattoo, I think.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | July 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Umm. I would be just a bit careful about making such sweeping generalizations about body ink. Didn't they used to say some rather ugly things about pierced ears? I know they did because this is why my Mom didn't get hers pierced until she was 40.

I work with quite a number of women who I know to have modest discreet tats. (And heaven knows how many who have tats that shall never be seen by eyes such as mine.) Tats seem to be, in general, just something they do for private fun. The meaning goes no further than that. Some of them just really dig Abby from NCIS.

I also know quite a lot of men with tats. Many get them in military, and many, again, because they just consider it a cool thing to do.

Look, tats mean different things to different people. I certainly wold never associate it with "lower class." Especially since I'm not to keen on the whole concept of class to begin with.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

One cool perk to having tattoos. If you meet your demise by falling into a bog or freezing to death on a glacier, the anthropologists that find you will think you were a spiritual leader or a holy man in your tribe.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 5, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"...or a holy man in your tribe."

Unless you have "mother" written inside your colon.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

My personal beliefs on tattoos are just that... my personal beliefs. Those beliefs, like most beliefs, are tainted by the people I have met in my travels.

I agree that people get tattoos for many different reasons, and not all of those reasons are to prove in some way that you are a bit of a rebel. Not all of those reasons are to give a big old middle finger to "the man", or to attempt to attract men who love to give a big old middle finger to "the man".

I admit being unreasonable on this topic, though.

Posted by: baldinho1 | July 5, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

"I admit being unreasonable on this topic, though."

This is why I love the boodle.

Posted by: -TBG- | July 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Then there's the Yakuza.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha, Baldin' hoone.

I mean, just take Egyptian mummies. Brains removed through nose, jarred organs, but tattooos left as-is on the skin, all for immortality?

"Mother" on a colon combined with snatches of Freud could cause some really wild theories.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the NE heat is relatively dry (dewpoints below 70). Still awful.

We're finally having rain, around 0.8 inch scattered through the day. The grass has been resentful of irrigation water. I expect a flurry of growth from it and perhaps also the palms and ripening mangoes. Several palms, hurt by winter cold, have perhaps been short of resources to invest in new leaves.

Crescent City must be one of the most unassuming tourist towns in the country.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 5, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Scott Adams's pretty funny column:

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Dewpoint over 70 here today, feels better since the sun went down.

I am amazed by the resilience of children, picked my daughter up from camp expecting, well a tired camper, instead she was warm but full of energy (it is outdoors all day, swimming, canoeing, games, crafts), she had a quick swim when we got home, a quick dinner, off to tutoring back home and she quickly made arrangements for friends to come over - swim number three of the day. Just put her to bed - how do I get that kind of energy?

Dewpoint for today,

Posted by: dmd3 | July 5, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"Crescent City must be one of the most unassuming tourist towns in the country."

Yes, a Supermax will keep a small town from getting sold on its own brand.

"Who knows, Shrink? I think anthropologists have come up with wild explanations for weirder stuff than that."

I agree other than to say anthropologists have come up with weirder explanations for stuff that is tamer, so weirder for wilder is a no brainer.

"I am amazed by the resilience of [very happy, well parented] children..." Hope you don't mind.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 5, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I love you, RD_Padouk

Posted by: Yoki | July 5, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Pharoahs were so low-class, they only ruled Egypt.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | July 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Jasyus Gawd, shrink2!

Posted by: Yoki | July 6, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

In India there are as many reasons for permanent tattoos (ink not henna) as there are tribes, castes, professions, customs, traditions, religions, superstitions, and fashions, oh and gender norms. They do tend to be more prevalent amongst lower economic class women (generally the Hindu 'lower caste') and tribal women.

Margo DeMello has a fascinating encyclopedia on body adornment in different cultures, though there isn't much on tattoos in India. Now there's a dissertation topic waiting for an anthropologist.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | July 6, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Gone!

Posted by: Yoki | July 6, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

bh,
Most of the museum stuff we've seen has been pretty minor artworks. Between having everything stolen byt the Nazis and then stolen again by the Soviets, there isn't much left.

Mucha was an interesting figure I had never heard of before. He helped found the Art Nouveau in Paris but spent the last half of his career promoting Czech nationalism. He died within a week of being 'interviewed' by the Nazis in 1939.

His major works of art are in a small Czech village not on our itinerary. His museum in Prague would be a medium sized gallery in a US museum. It was warm with the windows open which makes my climate controlling heart cringe at the environmental damage being done to the paper and canvass. But then tapestries hung in damp castles for centuries.

Prague is no longer a hyper-bargain. Downtown 0.3l beers go for 75kc (Czech crowns, despite being in the EU, Czech Repubic is not on the euro although they are accepted everywhere) or about four bucks. At the edge of the city where our Motel 6 (actually a Accor) is, half-liter beers are 36kc (less than two dollars)

The motel is advertising a rate of 89 Euros for a very simple but new and clean room (with AC)

Gotta go. Six hour bus ride with 30 potentially hungover teenagers.

Posted by: yellojkt | July 6, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I'd calculate the probability of new tats among those 30, along with the concomitant possibility of the new ink being a surprise to the eventually sober inkee, but I haven't finished my first coffee yet.

*time-to-take-NukeSpawn-back-to-the-airport-dagnabitall-wiping-away-a-tear-that's-obviously-left-over-from-watching-Toy-Story-3-yesterday Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 6, 2010 4:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm probably crazy but I'm playing tennis this morning. After that I'll pick up the granddaughters and we'll spend the day running thru' the sprinkler or using the slip n'slide if I can find where I put it.

Scotty, that seemed like a fast visit with Nukespawn! Everybody stay safe and cool today.

Posted by: badsneakers | July 6, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Hope it is cooler there sneaks, seems our low temp last night was about 85F and it is muggy.

Off to work have a good day everyone, stay cool.

Posted by: dmd3 | July 6, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Why thank you Yoki!

It's gonna be hot today. Scary hot. Don't leave your CDs on the dashboard hot. Don't sit on black vinyl seats with exposed legs unless you want to leave permanent scars hot.

Well, you get the idea.

And here's the thing. I recognize that this is weather and not climate. A string of freakishly torrid days has no real predictive value when it comes to long term trends.

And yet, I cannot help but feel a bit bitter that those who fell upon this winter's Snowmageddon as evidence that Climate Change was just a big pack o' lies are not expressing an equivalent degree of alarm over the implications of this heat wave. I mean, if you can't be right at least be consistent.

Because, you know, it really is quite hot.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | July 6, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

It is hot indeed. The foreman was making sure everyone had enough water before letting the guys up on the giant scaffolding wrapped around our building (they are re-doing the window seals). This is the kind of day I'm happy to work inside rather than mopping hot tar on a flat roof.
The big dog found it hot even at 05:30 this morning. The big lump of stupid could just sleep on the cool basement floor but no, he has to be with his people. Maybe I should be sleeping in the basement.

The Tour de Belgique wraps up today and the big circus will be in France at the end of today's race. No big mountain is on the program (duh, it's Belgium!) but there is 4km of cobblestones to rattle both teeth and bikes toward the end of this leg.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | July 6, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

This morning it is 46 degrees out here East of the Cascades...how is that for diversity? I could see my breath, with the dew point at 45. It is supposed to warm up into the nineties, with noc temps up to 62 by Friday.

Posted by: shrink2 | July 6, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, fruit bowl, coffee and OJ on the table.

Gonna be a balmy 32 C in TWC today. Downright chilly compared to the east coast.

Today I plan to putter. I am looking forward to it.

Cobblestones? I would definitely not want to roll over a single meter of cobblestones. My brain is barely hinged in place now. That would dislodge it fer shur.

Posted by: MsJS | July 6, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' everyone. It's 91 now and they're calling for 96 today. I believe this is technically known as "hellfire hot" in Celsius which does not cheer me.

Badsneakers, stay cool with the kiddos! Running through the sprinklers seems like a splendid idea. I may bring it up at our staff meeting this morning.

I'm just going to pose this question: why do smoke alarms only notify you they are out of battery at 3am? Why does this never happen when you're puttering around doing chores at 3pm? There's just no way to look graceful when waving your arms, squinting, and cursing at your ceiling in the dead of night.

Posted by: cowhand214 | July 6, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Cowhand, I've always wondered that myself. It's like when the phone rings just when you're relaxing in the tub.

Posted by: MsJS | July 6, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Some ice cubes in the dog's water may be appreciated today.

Went to a gallery opening / street party the other day. There was a themed show by contributing artists for the benefit of the Carolina Raptor Center which rehabs injured owls, hawks, eagles. I was told one of the artists was also mostly a tattoo artist. I picked out his painting quickly: the meticulous line and detail.

Posted by: Jumper1 | July 6, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

48 here on the left coast this morning. Dew point 11F. Forecast to get up to 92 this afternoon with a dew point of 24. Dry man Dry. Now to keep the woods from burning down. Going up the Applegate river this afternoon and splash with the dogs.

DoC and DNA_GIRL, you would not recognize Crescent City now. Since the prison became big business there is an airport and the main drag is now two-two way streets with every fast food known to man plus some. A mile of neon.

Posted by: bh72 | July 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

SCC, two-one way streets

Posted by: bh72 | July 6, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

More futbol this afternoon. Uruguay vs. Netherlands.

Posted by: MsJS | July 6, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

To help us stay cool:
Snow-kit photos from December.

Posted by: MsJS | July 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Expected to hit 100 today and tomorrow. The record for today was 98, set around '97. Probably not good tomato weather.

I just got a small break. I'm due to update the trauma center's system tonight, 330-5 am. My backup-in-training can't make it, so I can do it from home. I figure if I ever end up in the TC they'll watch over me a little extra.

Who else is going to see "Despicable Me" as soon as it opens?

Good day, all.

Posted by: -dbG- | July 6, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

More futbol this afternoon. Uruguay vs. Netherlands. Posted by: MsJS

Yes, the sleeper match of the tournament. Should be very interesting (which means it will probably be a stinker).

Posted by: shrink2 | July 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

bia, note
Back road closed for now: One of the north state's coolest back roads, the distant Howland Hill Road along the back side of Jedediah Smith State Park in Del Norte County, which provides access to hidden trailheads, giant redwoods and pretty route from Hiouchi to Crescent City, will be closed through July 16 for maintenance work.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/04/SPGB1E7M6R.DTL#ixzz0sulLUPOs

Posted by: bh72 | July 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Already 94 here out in Dawn Patrol hangar country... Drapes are shut, A/C is set for Warp 8, and things seem very, very quiet for some reason. Probably because the flight's already landed in Beantown --Sneaks, did you see her wave on the way by? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | July 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Tennis game was okay, played next to the harbor with a 'feeble' sea breeze. Kids are outside with the slip n slide. Thermometer on the front of the house, sunny side at the moment, says 103! I believe it. Going out to water all the poor plants and hydrangeas (which are drooping like crazy today - as am I!)

Posted by: badsneakers | July 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Hello boodle! Sending cool thoughts and air in an easterly direction. We are supposed to top out at 80F today with 71F and a dew point of 56 now. I will not complain about the 90F temp with hideous dew point we had Sat. because it just doesn't compare to what NC to DC to NYC and Boston will endure this week.

Stay cool and safe everyone!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | July 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Needing some boodle mojo -- I seem to have wrenched my bad knee the other day (sort of remember the incident, but no details), and it's a bit painful. Hoping that the discomfort will subside and that I can hold off for another year and some months so that Medicare will have kicked in. I keep telling that knee that it's on a timeline which will *not* be moved.

*sigh*

Other than that, like Snuke, I, too, have closed the drapes and ratcheted the A/C to meat locker temperature (which I know is not eco-friendly, but that's the way it is chez moi) .

*channeling mounds and mounds and mounds of snow*

Posted by: -ftb- | July 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Remember the Houston posts of last week? Highs in Houston this week are only upper 80s. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

In real news, another pretty damning indictment of BPs claims regarding amounts of oil recovered from the leak. And in my opinion, this does cast some negative light on the government's oversight of cleanup efforts in that they clearly aren't doing any diligence whatsoever regarding BP's claims in their recovery plans. From the initial estimates of amounts leaking from the riser to the amounts recovered through skimming, MMS (and its successor) have just sat back and accepted everything that BP has fed to them.

"In response to criticism that the government did not challenge crucial aspects of BP's recovery plans, the Coast Guard this week is scheduled to announce creation of an expert panel to conduct a "preparedness review" for Deepwater Horizon."

I understand that a review of the feds' role in this is necessary at some point, but right now, that horse is miles from the barn. Until the leak is capped, the government shouldn't be using any resources at all for navel-gazing.

Posted by: Awal | July 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

oh ftb, that's not good. Have you tried icing the knee? That usually works when I tweak something (my back most often).

Just watered stuff, good grief is it hot out there! I may just go thru the slip n slide myself!

Posted by: badsneakers | July 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey, y'all. *working palmetto fan mightily*

First, mojo to ftb and to slyness.

When I spoke to the sunchild about his narrow escape from this heatwave he sent the following as an aid to mental cool:
(He's in Telluride, his birthplace, for the weeklong holiday festivities.)

The bikini-skiers link at the end might be of interest to "some" boodlers!

Posted by: talitha1 | July 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wait for the last paragraph:

Posted by: -dbG- | July 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The Howland Hill road is indeed the coolest. It's the sort of thing that the visitor information center tells you about, that guidebooks mention...but tourists miss anyway.

Blue/pink hydrangeas dehydrate quickly--that was certainly the case with mine in Jacksonville.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | July 6, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

And it seems that the tattoo industry is as recession-safe as the doughnut and fireworks industries.

Posted by: -dbG- | July 6, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse