Sloth management

As I've long noted in this space, August is a great time to work in Washington, because the standards of employers diminish by the day as the city empties out. By about mid-August the bosses consider the ideal employee to be anyone not, at that moment, stealing something or filing a lawsuit against the company or picketing the main entrance. Just showing up at all wins you a gold star. I've always tried to take advantage of August Standards Journalism, in which spelling names correctly is optional and such notions as being "right" or "fair" or "coherent" are considered a bit old-fashioned and hidebound.

The problem is that if you even flirt with sloth in August you can find yourself completely derailed. This weekend I went to the beach, briefly, but now, Monday morning, I feel like I'm trying to return to work from maternity leave.

Sloth is contagious. Sloth is auto-catalyzing. The moment, for example, that you go a few hours without checking your work e-mail you discover that you like the sensation. You experiment with an entire day. The next thing you know you never want to check your work e-mail ever again.

This is known as "gone fishin,'" and it's a great American tradition. And in August, it's possible, because most of the e-mails you send incite an automated response from someone else who is on vacation. The entire government has shut down except for a few essential personnel at the Internal Revenue Service. All of Europe has been on vacation since mid-July. I'm told even the Taliban is about to go on break.

So you have to manage your sloth this time of year very carefully. You need to make a realistic list of things to do, with, say, only 10 items instead of 25, so that at the end of the day you can look at your list and see that there were only 10 things you didn't do instead of 25.

I also find it helpful, when asked to do something, to look at the person doing the asking as though he or she has four heads and tentacles instead of arms and legs.

Don't feel guilty. It'll be Labor Day soon enough. The world of work will track you down before you know it.

By Joel Achenbach  |  August 16, 2010; 10:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend reading
Next: In defense of Pepco

Comments

There is apparently no cure for sloth, except the coming of September and cooler temperatures. So be it.

Loved the bear photos in the last boodle!

Posted by: slyness | August 16, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Slyness, are you promising cooler weather? I hope so!

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Well I guess I'm official now. Mudged.

None of it was really important enough to repost except,

Good Morning, all! :)

Posted by: MoftheMountain | August 16, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

That the pace of life slows around here in August is without dispute. Partly this is because Congress is in recess, which sends languid ripples throughout the region. Partly it is because of the heat, which sends many rushing off to Holiday by the Seashore and sucks the energy out of the rest of us. But I assert there is an unappreciated reason why August is so blissfully slothful for many: the existence of summer interns.

Yes, each year we are blessed with a crop of fresh-faced young college students full of the enthusiasm and energy of youth. And although this, naturally, makes me want to hate them, I find myself liking them despite myself. Because they get a whole lot of work done.

They do, of course, need guidance. But guidance isn't an especially taxing activity. I can set these eager young scholars to debugging software or researching new technologies with nary a drop of sweat.

And they do good work. Especially here in August when they are nearing the end of their internships and can sniff the Letters of Recommendation. Which, of course, I always provide. Because they are good kids, full of talent and the latest book learning available.

But soon they will all head back to college, and I will have to pick up the slack once more. But I shall do so filled with admiration and respect for the Younger Generation, as well as the cold gnawing fear that one day, soon, they will be after my job.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | August 16, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

A kit made for me today, doing a lot of nothing. Humidity vanished overnight it is warm and breezy today with clear skies - just lovely, keep thinking of all the things I could be doing now that it is not oppressively hot - think I will spend the rest of the day planning what I might do :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | August 16, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

This Kit was, no doubt, delayed because yesterday was National Relaxation Day.

Posted by: bobsewell | August 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Even though I've never been a participant, I understand that August also means that swim team is over. Another reason for vacation and sloth--and sleeping in late.

I also learned recently that the sloth (the animal) is named for the "sin" and not vice versa.

Posted by: -TBG- | August 16, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

TBG... obviously named by people who didn't appreciate the value of relaxation and/or measured expenditure of energy.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, ooooooh!!!!

Score one for sanity!!!

Wingbat Orly Taitz gets rejected by not one, but TWO Supreme Court justices!!! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Such a perfect Kit,since this is the last day of vacation.Back to work tomorrow morning and I was so happy,I took this monday off.And if yesterday was National Relaxation day,I spent it well 4 hours at the river swimming,kayaking,hanging with Great friends and fishing in my kayak,about as relaxing as it gets.

But now back to reality and work and trying to sell this house again.I was 4 days away from closing when the buyer backed out,4 days away from finacial freedom and peace of mind.I have legal avenues I could pursue,but that means a lawyer gets a big chunk.

So if anyone is interested in a house in almost heaven,near the nicest river ever,drop this poor boy a line.

I did enjoy my 10 days of being a sloth,can't wait for the next vacation!!!!

Posted by: greenwithenvy | August 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I’ve always enjoyed sloth as my favorite among the Seven Deadly Sins, since it seems to me to be the easiest one to accomplish. Also, you don’t sweat while doing it, unlike a fair number of the others, which means you can shower either before or after, it makes no difference.

We have Pope Gregory I to thank for this, apparently, according to Wikipedia. In the year 590, with nothing better to do and things running smoothly in the Vatican, PG-1 took it upon himself to revise the list created by the 4th century monk Evagrius Ponticus (you all remember him: short, rotund, bald, not much sense of humor, a rope belt) who penned eight of them:

--Gula (gluttony)

--F0rnicati0 (f0rnicati0n, later known somewhat more generically as “lust,” although methinks there is a clear difference, i.e., between the thought and the deed)

--Avaritia (avarice/greed)

--Tristitia (sorrow/despair)

--Ira (wrath)

--Acedia (acedia, which seems to be a word we’re supposed to recognize in English, but we don’t; it means “discouragement” or perhaps apathy and indifference to religious observances)

--Vanagloria (vainglory)

--Superbia (hubris, pride)

PG-1 substituted socordia (sloth) for that whole acedia thing, and boiled down the thorny f0rnicati0/lust problem down into “luxurio,” meaning extravagance, but which everyone knew was really just lust with a makeover. Some 700 years later, this was the list Dante picked up and recycled in the Divine Comedy.

(One can see a great deal of semantic difficulty brewing on the horizon in the conflation of f0rnicati0 and lust on the one hand, with “extravagance” and the Latin root word “luxuria,” luxury, on the other, all falling under the same sin. Clearly, a 10-person committee was needed to straighten out this mess.)

At least four of these would make good names for diabetes medications. I mean, I would take a drug called “Superbia” in a heartbeat.

I'm also a bit surprised the Census Bureau never picked up superbia as the name of demographic territory, like Grosse Point, MI, or Grennwich, CT, or Key Biscayne. Right now we're stuck with "urban" and "rural," although sometimes "suburbia" gets thrown in. I think we should expand that list to include places such as superbia, dementia (i.e., Wasilla, AK, Maricopa County, AZ, Princess Sparkle Pony's district, etc.), gridlockia (Fairfax and Tyson's Corner), farmlandia, oilwellia, and so on.

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 16, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

O...

M...

FSM...

Bernadette Peters is...

SIXTY-TWO?!?!?!??!?!?

*thud*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little annoyed with National Geographic. I'd have mentioned this on Friday (when it was more appropriate) but a natural slothfulness caused me to procrastinate.

The opening of a story about Friday the thirteenth:

"They date back to at least ancient Roman times, but Friday the 13th superstitions won't be getting much of a workout this year. Luckily for triskaidekaphobia sufferers, today is 2010's only Friday the 13th.

That must come as a relief, after 2009's nine Friday the 13ths—the maximum possible in a year, at least as long as we continue to mark time with the Gregorian calendar, which Pope Gregory XIII ordered the Catholic Church to adopt in 1582."

---------------

Actually, 2009 had three Friday the 13ths, and that is the maximum number possible. Last Friday was indeed the only one this year, and that's the minimum number. Geez, if you can't trust National Geographic, who can you trust?

Posted by: bobsewell | August 16, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It is important to differentiate sloth from slack. Sloth only gets serious when you are out of slack. Until then, it doesn't count.

Likely your superiors know perfectly well, Joel, that you are partly paid in slack. Indeed most successful people are paid partially in slack. It's not taxable, so one retains people somewhat more cheaply by this maneuver. However, their knowledge, deep as it may be, is suppressed, because slack is not taught to be a fungible asset in Economics classes, and is indeed seen to be something shameful.

We all have our accounts, and responsible adults never overdraw these accounts. Their balances are as clear to everyone involved as what sort of car one has.

Interest on overdrawn slack is usually about as high as a bad credit card.

Now I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with just saying fornication? Trust me, the kids and the pets know have broken the code for "f0rnicati0".

Posted by: bobsewell | August 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Indeed she is, Scottynuke. And yet my unrequited passion for her endures.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | August 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Cut me some slack, Bob. I didn't want to temp the WirtyDird filter.

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

:-) I knew that. I was just testing it myself.

Posted by: bobsewell | August 16, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Now see here, Shana..." James J. Kilpatrick is dead. So it goes.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Vanagloria" is available as a name for a plant with flashy flowers.

The yard has a lengthening list of things to be done once the weather's more reasonable, or after the threat has declined of a hurricane doing what you'd expect of really bad hail or ice.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | August 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, indeed, Yello, so it goes. I used to love to read Kirkpatrick and Safire on the language.

Posted by: slyness | August 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"it's possible, because most of the e-mails you send incite an automated response from someone else who is on vacation. "

And if you have the auto-responder running you can create an e-mail laser and bring the internet to it's knees! MUAHAHAHA!

Not that any of us would do that.

Posted by: wiredog | August 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

E-mail with frickin' "laser beams!!!!"

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

You had me at "semantic," Cholly.

Welcome to the Boodle.

Posted by: -dbG- | August 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

WaPo headline: "In land of knockoffs, fake virgins

"China sees a growing number of women interested in providing a "first time" once again."

Hello, sailor. My name Givenchy Rolex. What yours?

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 16, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm picking out a thermos for you
No ordinary thermos will do

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

More than half the office is out today, either on vacation or finishing a long weekend. So it goes in August. We were planning to be in the 'Burg this past weekend, but changed plans to this coming weekend, hoping that the weather for outdoor painting will be better. It will also allow us to see the Stillers game live, instead of on delayed rebroadcast on Ch. 180. Oh, BTW, Go 'Skins. At least they weren't slothful on Friday night!

Posted by: ebtnut | August 16, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Totally off-kit, but still:

I'm glad to see this. I've never seen my tech-loving dad so dejected as when the bluetooth attachment for his new hearing aid refused to play nice with any of our cellphones. He can't use a cellphone otherwise because of feedback and interference issues. At least, we've never been able to find one, and no cell company has been very helpful in giving him guidance or in having deaf-friendly options for plans and the like.

Posted by: MoftheMountain | August 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, I opened your geographic panorama on SF and the first pic was one of our favorite places, Tiburon's Sam's Cafe. Hope you had a crab sandwich on a Sf sourdough bun and a ramos fizz. Or at least ordered some french fries for the seagulls to steal off your plate.

bia, I would have liked to have recommended Sam's to you but it's hard to explain how find and besides after lunch there you would have to take a three hour time out from driving.

Posted by: bh72 | August 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Just finishing up dinner of sliced roast pork, eggplant, onion, red bell pepper and broccoli done in a black bean curd paste sauce with cinnamon red pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. There is extra ready at the boodle table.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

BTW, anyone with experience making syrian bread or pita at home? I was thinking of using my pizza stone. Any thoughts?

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I tried to be slothful this afternoon but just couldn't fall asleep, I hate when that happens. However, I did send "S" out to walk by himself so I guess that qualifies as a bit of sloth.

TBG, I loved that link from the last Kit to the neighborhood around ground zero. I will be sending that to quite a few people.

Posted by: badsneakers | August 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

bh,
That was a particularly pleasant afternoon. I had ridden a rented bicycle from Fisherman's Wharf to Tiburon where I waited for the ferry back at Sam's. I don't recall what I (and the mooching seagulls) ate, but it was accompanied by a cold beer. I think I even ran a "where is yellojkt now?" feature on my blog to no winners, so I am very impressed that you recognized the place.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 16, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Now this is a slothful boodle.

I had a nice day off. I took lunch over to a friend recovering from arthroscopic hip surgery. We hadn't seen each other for about a year, so it was great to catch up.

Then, while out and about afterwards, I ran into a high school chum I haven't seen for about 20 years (at least!), even though she lives about 5 miles away. It was funny being faced with the question, "So what have you been up to?!" That took a while.

Posted by: -TBG- | August 16, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

My comment got held. I'll try it again:

So "Jane, you ignorant sl_t" is dead. I also liked his language columns. He and Safire really weren't rigidly prescriptive in their grammar use and one might have thought and were both very entertaining writers on the subject.

We had a fire drill at work about an hour ago. My guess is that a lot less work got done after it was over that would have occurred otherwise. Sloth is alive and well here.

Posted by: -pj- | August 16, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Bread experiment is coming in at a resounding C+. At least I have something reasonable to have with my Labneh for my evening snack.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Welcome (back) Cholly. Very amusing tale. I had something to say about the seven cardinal sins but I forgot, by Belphegor. Oh yeah. Thomas d'Aquino called them the seven vices, not sins. They are character flaws leading to a variety of sins. And Old Tom's acedia (paresse-sloth) is my favourite cardinal sin as it is a virtue: the lack of interest in the religious things. Lust-luxure is the character flaw that implies that the pursuit of s3x for the pleasure of it is a bad thing, a non-starter for most men. No wonder the C-church seems a bit out of sort with the modern world.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 16, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

A little sloth over at CNN?

Posted by: -TBG- | August 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon, all.

Pardon my slothful Boodling.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | August 16, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I read recently a good pita needs temperature higher than the average oven. So we need details, man, details!

A writer I agree with:

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 16, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Would a poorly-motivated son or daughter of a fashion magnate be a slothschild?

I always have liked sloths, and my genes were transferred. In his earlier days The Boy really like an Public Television morning show called It's A Big Big World. The main character was a stoner sloth that hung out in a huge tree with a tree frog, two marmosets and a resplendant quetzal bird.

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

You guys HAVE to watch the intro to It's A Big Big World. That show was better than I remember.

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Who says August is time to slack off. Up here, it is depressingly dark at 5 o' thirty, a sure sign that that sweater weather is coming. Tis the season for nut gathering...but only if you are a squirrel.

Posted by: --dr-- | August 16, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

101F/39C here on the left coast dr. People in sweaters are nuts.
Sloth is the main activity. 4:00 PM PDT.

Posted by: bh72 | August 16, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

baldhino... loved that intro. A stoner sloth... kind of redundant, no?

I miss the PBS Kids days. Daughter will still watch Arthur if she finds it on (she's 16). We had a morning tradition with Arthur through most of her elementary school years.

But we were a BIG Sesame Street family. Both kids loved that show--and both adults did, too. The first time Son of G laughed out loud from TV was while we were watching the Honkers. Who can forget this classic?

Posted by: -TBG- | August 16, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the last boodle was just full of bears! Thanks dna girl,dmd, yello, and to TBG for encouraging bears on all blogs.

In MN we are letting our grip on sloth loose. Today was dry and cool, to match the noticeably shorter days. Here the summer rhythm is a bit different. No one seems to take their leave of the big city, or work, for the traditional two week vacation, or even one. Instead you can expect not to be able to speak to anyone in authority, or with a semblance of authority, or indeed no authority what-so-ever but with a job and a phone, on Thursday and Friday every week from Mothers Day (fishing opener weekend) until Labor Day. They are "up north" "at the lake" or "at the cabin." (often all 3) Country folk are all working, either on the farm or in service to the lake/cabin/north goers, but they will be off in Oct/Nov/Dec for duck hunting, dear hunting, spearing (fish through the ice). It's a wonder anything gets done in this state, ever.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | August 16, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, does a window room air conditioner produce a much cooling at the low fan setting as high? I can't stand fan noise.

Posted by: bh72 | August 16, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

That is 5 in the a.m.. Sunrise is at 6:15 but just like evenings long twilight, we have a long slow dawn. At this time of year, dawn is sluggish.

Posted by: --dr-- | August 16, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich has violated Godwin's Law:

Can we take away his Tweeter now? *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

You know the fearmongering and hatespewing from the right is getting bad when you have both Gerson and Ponnuru trying to talk their minions down out of the clock tower today.

Folks like Gerson and Ponnuru, conservatives with a soul, must be disheartened a lot nowadays.

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I understand that users of the internet and commenters on Yahoo stories are dominated by 14-year old boys looking to act tough and be "funny", but the comments to stories never cease to sicken me.

Wow. I made the mistake of reading a story about the Dearborn, MI high school football team switching to midnight practices to accommodate the majority of their players, who are muslim. The article was pretty standard, mentioned the team voted to do that, etc.

The comments section made me sick to my stomach. These 14-year old delinquents eventually become voters. Ick.

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I rarely do any early holiday shopping (being a guy and all), but I did some today. My baldness has me run through a few baseball caps a year and I have a couple tattered hooded sweatshirts that are due to be retired. I just picked up some replacements here:

I love the black and orange school colors. I think I'll follow the progress of the Pioneers this fall. Hope they push for a title.

Posted by: baldinho | August 16, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

The hard thing about tomato pies made for next day's dinner is to ignore the smell of the roasted tomatoes, black olives, basil, garlic and olive oil topping when the pie is fresh out of the oven. I'm sure nobody will notice the 2 or 3 missing half olives.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 16, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Hello Jumper. No big details. Basic recipe that everyone has. I think my issue was that I didn't spend enough time getting the stone up to temp. I am pleased enough to have the bread. I have a lot of veggies from trades at the market this weekend. My challenge is to work them into good meals. I have loads of tomatoes and they are getting over-ripe.

I have a couple of heirlooms that seem destined to end up in a tomato salad tomorrow morning when I get up, so they will be ready for lunch. Some small pizzas may also be in order.

I think that my mistake on the pita was the temperature. I had them on a pan setting on my pizza stone, but I needed to let the stone really heat up. And, yes, I haven't tested the oven temps at the 500+ range. I also think that I grabbed the wrong kind of yeast. Cut twice and google once.

I am now itching to try making tabouli. Instead of using bulgur however, I'm thinking of using quinoa to cut down on gluten.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

shrieking_denizen, tomato pie recipe please. got lots of tomatoes ready to ripen.

Posted by: bh72 | August 16, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Now for some un-appetizing reading:

Posted by: bh72 | August 16, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Weed, I work 500 ft from a decent Lebanese baker so I do not dream of making pita. 1.25$ per 10 small or $2.00 per 10 large ones is purty cheap. I like to see the footballs getting out of the conveyor belt oven getting squashed and put into bag by sweaty guys. The bread is the interest, not the sweaty, swarmy guys. The smell (and heat!!!) is incredible. Most 10-bread pita bags made it home unmolested.

The family won't miss another 2-3 half olives, won't they?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 16, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Snuke, Newt has a 3rd wife exemption for Godwin's Law.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Shriek,

I am 5 days from when my olive pusher comes back. They aren't in the budget, so I have to wait. I get free olives and marinated mushrooms for loading the truck at the farmers market. A great use of idle time.

I think I can find olives, if I dig hard enough in the fridge.

I think what you said about the bakers nearby is correct. I just have decided to have some zero spending days to make it while I am between "this and that."

BTW, that's what is missing in this area. We don't have the retail and commercial space that is priced to allow for artisan bakers or other food trades to "give it a shot."

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

It's the Federal (or Feral, as I like to consider it) Government. It's inhabited by sloth. They had day after day off in the winter for snow, then they burn a month in August doing nothing, all the vacation and sick time they burn, the whole thing is one big fat free ride at the trough. Sloth? That's ALL the time in the Federal Government, not just Summertime. Federal slime. Once you get past the U.S. Marshalls and the military (really, all the Federal Government was really supposed to be anyway) the rest is a bunch of freeloaders.

Posted by: JamesChristian | August 16, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about all that. The folks at the Geological Survey make some pretty good maps. And the Census Bureau turns up some interesting and useful statistical data. There must be at least a couple of other examples.

Posted by: Bob-S | August 16, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, there's the Park Service. I'm rather fond of the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, and some of those other bumps & holes. It doesn't hurt my feelings to pay a bit to keep them from being completely filled with condos.

And I know it's old-fashioned, but I like knowing that the Library of Congress and the Archives have lots & lots of musty old printed material, just waiting for somebody to leaf through the pages.

Posted by: Bob-S | August 16, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"Are," James. It's "are a bunch of freeloaders," not "is."

Clearly, the federal government has failed in attempting (futilely, we agree) to educate your sorry butt.

I know you'd like to see a federal government that consisted of nothing but Tommy Lee Jones and Ollie North, but gee, Jimbo, it just ain't gonna happen. Get over it.

By the way, what do you do for a living? Are you any good at it? Just thought I'd ask.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | August 16, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

And the Post Office makes all those pretty stamps, too, Bob S.

Posted by: -pj- | August 16, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Or Rickie Lee Jones and Sheree North.

Posted by: -pj- | August 16, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Lamb Chop?

Posted by: russianthistle | August 16, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Nope, that's Shari Lewis, or Sheree Louis as she was known is Paris, or Paree.

Posted by: -pj- | August 16, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that most folks who want all the government employees fired would really just prefer that we got rid of the police and their parole officers.

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

been a lot of sighing lately. this could compel some to engage in the debate over why bad things happen to good people. bad things happen universally.

grace causes good to counter all of the bad in the world. thanks to all for the good thoughts. thus, school, and life, goes on. nice to have you back, Mudge. thanks for the link, pj.

Posted by: -jack- | August 17, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

He's mad because the FDA isn't doing QC on his meth.

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 17, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I’ll be slothful if our banker would let me. They think I’m bored and need excitement in my life. They tell us they’ll need a new mandate and a new director’s resolution if we don’t want our cheques be returned by them again. When I got that sorted out, fought traffic, fought for a parking space, got to their office, and they told me, “You know what, the old mandate and resolution works fine. You don’t need to prepare a new one”. I had to keep telling myself not to say anything nasty.

Posted by: rainforest1 | August 17, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Refresher course:

Rickie Lee Jones:

Tommie Lee Jones:

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 4:37 AM | Report abuse

yeah that is true, major brands do give out free samples of their popular health products best place to check is http://bit.ly/bf1xD8 send it to your friends

Posted by: jaydenro17 | August 17, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all. Three days of sloth begin tomorrow as we will be in Shenandoah National Park for what will be a little cooler weather. The most unslothful thing we will do is the walk in Big Meadow and the tour of Teddy Roosevelt's retreat in the park. Hiking is on husband's agenda, but I intend to sit on the porch and look for the darling little bears that the tourists always chase away.

Building the Park was one of our nation's most unslothful accomplishment and the men & women who labored hard were happy to have the work. Maybe it's time to build another national park, lots of folks could use the job.

Posted by: VintageLady | August 17, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. It doesn't do to read that kit when one first gets up in the morning for the simple reason, why get up. I'm serious, I read it, now I want to unplug the tub and go back and hug the bed!And I had to do some serious talking to myself to get out of the bed. The kit sabatoged that effort big time!

What day is it?

Let me run some water somewhere, and get back with you folks.

Posted by: cmyth4u | August 17, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

VL! I live on a heat island. I can't wait for temps to drop below 70 in the evening. Being able to sleep with the windows open and a cool breeze. Natural comfort. That is relaxing. Have a great time!!!!

Posted by: russianthistle | August 17, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra!! *HUGS*

VL!! *HUGS* Enjoy Skyline, I always wish I could get there more often!

JA, how about the Zapper for the blogspam at 5:27? :-)

*not-gonna-make-a-J'onn-J'onnz-reference-after-all-the-Lee-Jones-talk-and-aren't-you-glad-to-hear-that Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

VL, that sounds like a wonderful idea! Of course, if some of the folks with the money would let go of that money, the economy would see a significant turn for the better. Instead of holding up political puppets that run amok of God and man, put that money to good use. That why God gave men riches, for use in glorifying the Almighty God, not themselves. Besides what all of us need can't be bought with money anyway. It's free to all!

It's amazing what water can do inside the body and outside. Today is Tuesday, and it's suppose to rain here! I truly hope so, the heat has been around soooooo long.

As a nation, and that a mighty nation, we have to move forward. We accomplish nothing by moving backwards. Whatever we lost in the past we have to move forward to be gainers, to be successful, to be strong, to be future thinking people. As much as people want to go back to what was, they rarely can. Time moves forward, with the one exception in the Old Testament.

We are a nation of strong, loving, smart, people. We always survive. We always move forward. What change? Absolutely nothing.

Have a wonderful day, folks. And much love to all. Slyness, bless you and the family. And blessings to all my friends here at the Achenblog, and their families too. Love to you JA, and family.

Posted by: cmyth4u | August 17, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

I know it's going to be a wonderful day when I receive a Cassandra blessing! Thank you, dear friend, and I hope God's blessings will be with you today!

Thirddottir had to take P to urgent care last night, he fell head first in trying to get down from his chair at dinner. He's fine, just got a goose egg on his noggin, as his mom says. This is relevant because we are planning to visit the amusement park near the mountain house on Saturday. The prime attraction is the train; both boyz are crazy for Thomas. So I didn't want P to miss that! Now, if rain will hold off, life will be good.

Hi Mudge!

Posted by: slyness | August 17, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, another round of clock brinksmanship, but we signed Harper last night. Read Boswell's column today and see where the Nats might be in about 5 years. I keep threatening to go to a game down at the new park. Better really try and do it before the fall semester kicks in. Hey, Mudge! Long time, no see.

Posted by: ebtnut | August 17, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Гуд морнинг Будлерс!
That means good morning Boodlers when one writes English without speaking Chinese in French.

Ha! lots of heat complains in the Boodle, faxing you all old, stale, cold weather.

Cherry trees in bloom here. How this things can bloom in the middle of winter misery is beyond me. We need sunshine! Even the parakeets are quiet.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | August 17, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Had I not been sunk in sloth, I would have Boodled yesterday and enjoyed cholly's remarks on sin while they were fresh. Cholly, if you're still around, it might do to look into the word accidie; I think it is English (well, not really English, but used in the language) cognate for your acedia. Perhaps not much used outside the psychological/industrial complex.

I now aspire to mere idleness.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Hi Brag, just remember that you will soon be gloating about the warmth while we are freezing. We are stuck in the muggies here. One of my ornamental trees has given in to the dry weather and is turning color and shedding leaves.

On the Daily Show last night they likened the mosque situation to building a Catholic church next to a playground. Certainly uses the same 'logic' that the opponents have employed. I can't watch or listen to any more drivel about this because I cannot believe how hysterical and crazy the debate has become.

'Morning Cassandra, hi there Mudge!

Posted by: badsneakers | August 17, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Brag!!!

We must all take notice that Her Vintage Ladyship mentioned "bears", thereby ensuring that this day shall be a good one. Well, why not, FCOL???

I just viewed some of Jon Stewart from last night for his take on the mosque business in NYC. Man, that guy is funny!

Gotta go. Cya later.

Posted by: ftb3 | August 17, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Well, *this* gumint worker hasn't been slothfull. Well, .... maybe just a teensy bit. Have missed a fistfull of kits and all. However, I have noticed one new peep among the usual suspects and driveby a-hats.

This chollynickabocka guy. Quite the character. Betcha that he'd be one helluva shipmate.

Posted by: Don_from_I-270 | August 17, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Sneaks,

I´m looking forward to porching on my balcony, slurping pisco sours and doing bonus gloating. The heat here lacks the DC muggies.

Brag

Posted by: Braguine | August 17, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Ms. Y. Yes, I ran across accidie as a cognate to acedia in my researches, but then also ran into Weltschmerz, and before I knew it I was up to my neck in Thomas Aquinas, Emile Durkheim, Shakespeare and Steinbeck ("the winter of our discontent") and the outer reaches of the DSM-IV, ennui, angst, und sturm und drang, etc. At that point I decided a strategic retreat was in order, and decided to keep it simple.

Anyway, accidie sounds too much like a heartburn medicine.

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 17, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

And the blame game continues. From an email I just got from "S".

"I had an almost mystical moment this morning. I was coming down Powdermill Road. There was some fog in the air but not enough to block out the rising sun. it was one big orange ball. Normally one shouldn’t look at the sun but this morning one could not help but look at it. it was wonderful…

and I blame Obama!"

Posted by: badsneakers | August 17, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Or like a certain national park, cholly.

And hiya, hail fellow well-met and all that. :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Howdy Mudge, so glad to see you back! And all in the morning!!! Hope you and family are doing well.

Posted by: cmyth4u | August 17, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Mr. nickabocka, in that case you were wise to back away. As Mr. Brooke had it, you pulled up in time. These things can take you too far.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Good morning boodle! Bought some incredible peaches yesterday (from Colorado). My guilt over not waiting for locally grown fall bounty is all but erased by a coating of peach juice that extends from fingers to elbow. It's all Obama's fault.

Have a nice trip VL, and I do hope you see bears. Good to see you Cassandra and Mudge, Brag. Welcome cholly.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | August 17, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Jet setters. Natural blondes. Who knows? Just say "no" to accidie.

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I am still thinking about the "pandering" description made of the "ground zero mosque" issue by Eugene Robinson of those provocateurs from the "right-ish" wing of American politics.

How this silly meme could get straight into the most important talking points for the Republican party within a couple of weeks is sad, pathetic and shameful. I am guessing that 2% of Americans are practicing the Islamic faith, today.

I think a guest on Countdown made the most salient point that this constant drumbeat from the panderers are somehow suggesting that these everyday Americans who make of this 2% are somehow responsible for 9/11. That weakness in logic by the right, whether it is just for political gain for actually heartfelt is, at the same time, quite sobering and frightening.

Posted by: russianthistle | August 17, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, Ms. Y, if I am not mistaken the other day you linked to a rather exellent song, "La rondine," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enlqlc_xCaE) sung in Italian by a Mr. Giuseppe "Pino" Mango (unfortunately named due to the association with Cris Kattan's "Mango" character, and also the fruit, alas). Perhaps you are not fluent in Italian as I am (we Nyawkas have to be multilingual in order to survive and conduct our familiy businesses, if ya know what I mean, badda bing, capiche?). I have, therefore, rendered a modest English translation, which I hope you may find pleasing to thine ear:

The Swallow

I want you, I want you
Like I've always wanted you
The night comes; will you think of me?
What do you know about my dreams?
They’re not for sale, they belong to me

This you know, this you know
Only heaven knows what you’ll write to me
Maybe goodbye, maybe hello
What do you know what’s in my dreams

Now like the swallow, fly away
You’ve flown away with half of me
Left me here, all alone

Where are you, where are you
Where are you, where are you, where are you
Only with your love can I live again

You know how the north winds blow
You know so much, but not about us
Without you, only half the moon
Runs across
My night sky

I don’t know, I don’t know
How much time I can wile away
Rewriting the story of my life
And how I want to kiss your lips
I’ll try to write another day

Now like the swallow, you fly away
Flown away with half of me
Left me here, all alone

Where are you, where are you
Where are you, where are you, where are you
Only with your love will I live again

You know how the north winds blow
You know so much, but not about us
Without you, only half the moon
Runs across
My night sky

Now like the swallow, fly away
Like the swallow, fly away
Without you, only half the moon
Runs across
My night sky

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 17, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

For VintageLady:

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I thought of this quote when I first heard Obama's reaction to the Mosque issue:

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”

-- H. L. Mencken

Posted by: russianthistle | August 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

That is elegant, chollynickabocka. I have enough Italian to have understood the gist, but with nothing like such fidelity to the poetic merits of the original.

Interestingly and touchingly, a friend emailed me his translation a day or two after I posted that link which was also very fine.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Yoki- one for you:

Posted by: russianthistle | August 17, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

That is beautiful, weed. I saw her once in Montreal doing a program of Ghazals. Haunting and other-worldly.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Firefox is becoming molasses-slow. Fleeing to Chrome.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | August 17, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't get all logical now, russianthistle. Those less than 2% of our population, made up almost entirely of people who came here because the opportunities we provide are better than where they were OR people who came here so that their moderate views could be more openly espoused are truly evil, want to kill us all and have the superhuman ability to turn us all into muslims and enact sharia law. The remaining 98% of us are powerless in the face of their onslaught.

Or something like that, I guess. Does this mean The Boy's godmother wants me to be dead?

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Good day, y'all.

Just passing by. Anyone hungry? This is a great recipe when one is feeling slothful.

EASY PEASY PEACH-BLACKBERRY CRISP

Serves 1-10, depending on one’s level of hunger and/or generosity

Filling Ingredients
9-12 fresh peaches, skinned, pitted and cut into one-inch chunks
2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
5 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch salt
2 cups fresh blackberries

Crumble Topping Ingredients
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed (light brown sugar works fine, too)
½ cup rolled oats
¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8-cup or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the first 5 filling ingredients, tossing gently. Fold in the blackberries and then set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the crumble topping ingredients until, well, crumbly.

Pour fruit mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with crumble topping.

Place baking dish on cookie sheet to catch possible drips. Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is nicely browned and crisp. Cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream optional.

Filling is from the Food Network recipe for blackberry-peach cobbler.
Crumble topping is from the Cooks.com recipe for strhubarb crisp.

Posted by: MsJS | August 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Yoki. I a wish I had been there!

Posted by: russianthistle | August 17, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This mosque discussion has made me realize just how much damage I have done to our nation. My wife and I have a dear friend who is not only a practicing Muslim, but is college-educated AND of mixed Saudi/German ancestry.

That is like 4 for 4 on the nazi scale, eh?

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hat tip to Yoki for the link and pretty version. My pick is:

The Brothers Four and photos of the people and landscape of The Shenandoah, no American Indians, tho.

So good to see the Dawn Patrol!!! And Thistle, Luray's high tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70s, can hardly wait, rain and all. Dunno what the joke is about the bears, first time blogger, enlighten me....

This morning was my quarterly ct scan of chest and abdominal area. No barium, just iodine injection. Will learn results next week. So far that tumor continues to shruken and shriveled and cowered. Thanks to the good Lord and Avastin every three weeks. There was an article in Wapo yesterday about recommendations made by a panel of screwlooses who want to stop Avastin from being prescribed for women with advanced breast cancer. A slippery slope, if ya ask me, will try and find said article.

Now, I can stop fasting for the test and start eating that fudge cake on the kitchen countertop :-).

Posted by: VintageLady | August 17, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Big hugs out to Frosti for reminding me I have local peaches in the fridge!

DotC, I have noticed a big slowdown in Firefox as well. I tried Chrome the other day and found it faster but didn't play with it to customized it how I like it so went back to Firefox.

mmm Crisp.

Posted by: dmd3 | August 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Said article about Avastin

Peaches in my fridge, too, yum....

Posted by: VintageLady | August 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry folks, that link was super slothful...just key in Avastin and the article is there, somewhere, I do declare.

Posted by: VintageLady | August 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It is rather amusing that the rabid crowd that is opposing the opening of a sufi mosk seem to find the long-standing, and continuing, funding of wahhabbi madrassas by the Saud dynasty, the Bushs special friends, just fine.

Latest nuttyness in Saudi Arabia: every time a Saudi woman leaves the country the ministry of foreign affairs notify her registered "male guardian" (all women must have one, father, husband, brother, uncle, etc) that his "dependant" is leaving the country with an SMS. Using 21st century technology to enforce 14th century policy, how cool is that?.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Me: (to Pakistani American)"Do you keep Halal?"
Him: "You sound like my mother."

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 17, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Cholly, I meant to say but forgot, it's pretty hard to avoid old Tom when researching any of the seven cardinal/capital sins. He pretty much wrote the book on it (Prima secundae, question 84 http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2084.htm ) for the Catholic church.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 17, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm. The bears (not,MsJS,DA BEARS) -- well, I noticed that frosti and shrieking denizen and occasionally other (slyness maybe?) would report on bear sitings and it occurred to me that it was kinda cool and that if the word "bear" was in a post, the imagery it conjured up for me made me laugh. Now, I've seen lions and cheetahs up close (well, not that close), but never bears.

That's all there is to it. But that fudge cake reference conjures up a whole lotta other imagery. . . .

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the boodle through Safari as of sometime this morning, so I'm trying Firefox, which seems, so far, to be working.

Anyhow, I'm fed up to *here* with the idiots objecting to the Muslim community center (which is, after all, what it *is*) being built in the so-called Ground Zero neighborhood (insert loud masculine echoes here). Time to retreat to the cave, methinks. Hope someone had the sense to buy a couple of Rummikub games for us in the meantime.

Posted by: ftb3 | August 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

We all support a free debate. Such as the debate about whether Newt should be seized, blindfolded, dosed with 900 mcg of LSD, and surreptitiously released sans clothing in downtown Ryadh painted orange, except for the genitalia which would be painted blue. One assumes this matter will be debated all day on CNN. Out of fairness.

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 17, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It would be wrong of me to suggest that Newt probably would not require very much blue paint, a dab might do it.

Sorry nevermind :-). Honestly the first thing Jumpers image brought to mind.

Posted by: dmd3 | August 17, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

y'know the thing about newt in the esquire article makes me wonder after all we now hear in the news about student/teacher sex if something like this was going on when he was in high school?

"By the time he was eighteen, he was dating his high school geometry teacher. He married her a year later, when he was nineteen and she was twenty-six.

It sounds like a complicated childhood, I say.

"It was fabulous." newt quote

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/newt-gingrich-0910-4#ixzz0wtDKtFkG

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I heart you, dmd.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Thomson, (shot heard around the world) died today at 86.

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it's Frosti, ftb...but I like bears too.

My bear story (I'm sure I've told it here before): Mr. T and I were wandering down one of our favorite unpaved mountain roads when we came across a couple of hunters looking over the side. A little farther on, we stopped before getting to a couple of pickup trucks. Suddenly there was the sound of dogs barking furiously and a black bear whizzed by at full speed, closely followed by the dogs. A hunter got off a shot but missed. One of the group came up to chat with us and said they normally just tree the bears, so the dogs get the exercise they need. They only kill large males when they actually do shoot one. I never saw a living creature move that fast.

That's quite the mental image, Jumper and dmd. Mind bleach! But that's always what I have to have when I even consider Newt.

Posted by: slyness | August 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

RE. the ground zero issue issue:
Julie Mason, White House correspondent for The Washington Examiner newspaper said Sunday on CNN's "Reliable Sources." "So that's why we were all geeked up about it last week."

So no acedia in the correspondent camp.
'geeked up" is the opposite acedia isn't it?

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Brag, many years ago I was involved in a technology transfer project with some guys installing a new telcom system at the Santiago airport. They always brought a case of pisco to Petaluma to lubricate the free flow of information. Good stuff. Goes down like water but has great lubrication properties.

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Me and moose have something in common.
Maybe because much of my early diet in teen age years was blacktail venison. But my Dad had bad arthritis in his late teens growing up on a black angus breeding farm in Kansas. Of course they would never eat any of the beef. just chickens and pigs.

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Howdy Y'all. This is a timely Kit for me; having just returned from a restful vacation I am filled with slothful properties and easing very very slowly into the workplace.

The Boy and I, with a friend of his, had a lovely time in mountains, on Mesa Verde and at Santa Fe. It was splendidly cool. Ivansdad, who had professional commitments, stayed here and waited 9 days for our new AC/Heat unit to be installed. That's nine days of plus-100 degree weather. He and Beatrice the rabbit lurked in the two air-conditioned rooms left to them, while the house got up to 95 degrees. It took almost two full days to cool it down once the new machine began working. He deserves a medal but got pneumonia instead. Fortunately they can fix that.

The Boy starts High School (!gulp!) on Thursday. The same group of students have been together in the same building since 6th grade, and he'll even have some of the same teachers. However, it is still a Transition.

I have not yet caught up with what I am sure were multiple fascinating Kits with hundreds of scintillating comments generated in my absence. I do say howdy to chollyNB, nice summary of sins.

Also, Jumper, you are right on with your discursion on sloth vs. slack. I have carefully and judiciously tended my use of slack, particularly in the hot summer, and reap the benefits. I have a colleague who squandered her supply, wound up with overdrawn slack, and is suffering the consequences.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

In honor of this morning's 5:27 AM post, I'm going to begin all posts from now on with "yeah, that is true..."

Posted by: -TBG- | August 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that is true...

I-mom, shall we now call the Boy "the Frosh" or something similar? Glad you had a good trip! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

What are you going to sell us each time, TBG?

Posted by: -dbG- | August 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes, so very, very true. Undeniable, really, when you think about it.

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 17, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Veracious.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What's up with this Harry Reid character? Why is it too risky to support the Constitution of the U.S.? A pox on his garbage-filled, corrupted and shriveled soul. At long last, has he no shame?

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 17, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Scottynuke, I think he still prefers "the Awesome".

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that is true. I am agog at the WaPo teaser in my email that says "Democrats are Divided over NY Mosque."

What? WHAT? What in the world is there to be divided about? I guess I could argue over the level of stupidity the folks against the mosque are displaying. Is it very stupid, or very, very very stupid?

Posted by: -TBG- | August 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Moronic. Cretinous.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

As to sloths, the human kind, we got it all wrong:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7396356.stm

Posted by: gmbka | August 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I found Newt observation that a mosque near the WTC will be built when Mecca allows churches and synagogues really hilarious. Bring in the Saudi values to New-York! What a great cultural fit!

I wonder if there is a guy in underwear and cowboy boots playing guitar in downtown Mecca?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Harry Reid is doing the "politician" thing - trying to pander to the right-of-center types who might be wavering over his Tea Party opponent. I think Chris Core on WTOP said it succinctly yesterday -if this were a Catholic cathedral or a synaoguge, there wouldn't have been a whimper. It is place of worship. Get over it, folks.

Posted by: ebtnut | August 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Cretinous in its total moronitudiness.

Posted by: chollynickabocka | August 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Is 'moronitudiness' available as a nom de boodle?

Hmmm, it takes too long to type. I'll stick with something shorter, at least during the slothful season.

Posted by: MsJS | August 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I like what Dana Milbank did the the subject, juxtaposing current quotes between paragraphs of Washington's letter to the synagogue in Newport:

Puts the issue in proper perspective. IMHO.

Posted by: slyness | August 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Dipping backwards I came on baldinho's fine description of The Baldinfamily's walk. His recounting of "Why?" brought back memories. Often when the Boy was at the intensive-question stage, and I either had run out of answers or didn't want to give them, I'd turn the question around. "Why does it do that?" "Why do you think it does that?" "What does God look like?" "What do you think God looks like?"

Of course, my stock answer for anything to do with technology or the physical environment was "Magic." It didn't fool him for long.

Posted by: Ivansmom | August 17, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

You know, if it were really stupidity, I could more easily forgive. The fact that it is cynical hate-mongering and craven political pandering enrages me.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

My guess is this and AZ immigration are issues historians will point to as occurring toward the very end of the 5th US political party system. If the only source of knowledge is experience, I'd be tempted to think the 6th system will be superior, but given that politicians are involved, I'm thinking maybe not.

Posted by: LostInThought | August 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Cholly (or Mistah Nickabocka if you prefer),

Let me join the chorus and welcome you to the boodle. Since you already know a bunch of lingo like 'WirtyDird Filter' it is likely that you have been lurking here quite a while, but we do have a LOT of unwritten rules which need to be covered. While we normally let newcomers sink and swim as a hazing ritual, we had some unpleasantness recently where a perhaps over-enthusiastic new boodler ran afowl of some of the regulars and got run off, so forewarned is forearmed. Since I recently posted a link to the AchenFAQ, I am going to assume you are already familiar with the jargon of our particular patois. Here are a few practical guidelines to maintaining harmony with long-time boodlers:

Posting too many items in succession is considered 'boodlehogging' and should be avoided. A good rules of thumb is to avoid posting more than three items in a row (unless they each contain a link to a Youtube video), making more than 25% of the posts within a given boodle or boodling more than thirty items in a single day. And just in case you think people aren't counting, rest assured that they are. We keep statistics that make SABR members cringe at the obsessiveness.

While going off-topic is common and even encouraged, randomly bringing up topics of a prurient nature such as Chinese hymenoplasty is considered offensive to the more tender members of the boodle. In addition to items which might make the average twelve-year-old boy snicker, topics to be avoided include tire fires, support for the designated hitter, Dallas Cowboys football victories, or anything to do with designated parking spaces.

Items so common that they don't even count as being off-topic are bears, recipes, gardening, military aircraft, various needlecrafts, kitschy artwork, and long-winded shaggy dog stories of an anachronistic historical nature.

***more***

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Letter To Cholly (con't)

While most mistakes by other boodlers go unmentioned because of the Self-Castigation Club bylaws as instituted by SAO-15 charter member bc, the use of the improper interrogative or relative pronoun is such a heinous gaffe that anybody that makes such a mistake should be ridiculed soundly.

Most importantly, remember that this was once a humor blog. Much like how modern cetaceans bear no resemble to their pakicetid ancestors (and rest assured, we do have experts in whale evolution as well as astrophysics, biochemistry, thermodynamics, automobile racing, copy-editing, and much much more), the overall earnestness can mask the free-wheeling roots of this forum where it was anything goes before it ossified into a cabal of regulars bemoaning the precipitous decline in quality from the good old days (in this case, late 2005).

Despite the depth of knowledge from our boodlers who are at various places on The Continuum, we do seem to be running seriously low on know-it-all jacks-of-all trades, so feel free to chime in on any topic within (or possibly well outside) your general knowledge base.

One final rule: No sockpuppets. Nothing good can come of that. Trust me on this one.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"One of the nice things about business travel is you can get a snazzy little laptop with built-in cellular wireless access," he thought as he made his way home during the Evening (ok, Late Afternoon) Patrol.

Yes indeed, Yoki, it's enraginating pandering and general fearmongering... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

LiT,
It's a shame that the Know-Nothing Party as a historical name is already taken. I just hate to have our history besmirched by having to explain to future generations the moronitudousity of the second Tea Partiers.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

yea that is true. If it's not one thing, it's another:

"Peru battles rabid vampire bats after 500 people bitten"

Posted by: bobsewell | August 17, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Completely off topic but saw this article earlier today and realized a certain boodler is well ahead of the curve.

Posted by: dmd3 | August 17, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

We could always call the new batch the Proud-to-Know-Nothings, yello...

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the right and the battle of the mosque, I prefer the term "stuffing 20 pounds of stupid into a 10-pound sack".

I have never been a fan of Mr. Reid. With most Senate Majority/Minority or House leadership, there is no "chicken or the egg" debate. You have to be a certain type of person to get into leadership. The chicken is there first.

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately for us, chollynickabocka does not appear to lack humour, irony or self-awareness, any more than you do, yello. And I hope we can still freely wheel from time to time in spite of our advanced stage of ossification.

Posted by: Yoki | August 17, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Not merely ossified: fossilized.

Speaking of bears, as of tomorrow the birdfeeders will be inside the fence, as the chain links for the new fence will be put up. So I will be able to look at bears in the future as the noble wood dwellers they pretend to be and not the birdfeeders raiding, picnic baskets stealing, BBQ overturning oversized vermin they really are.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | August 17, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

VERY odd start to the Nats-Braves game -- Ivan Rodriguez "strikes out" on what looked like a dropped foul tip. Then he's thrown out of the game by the third-base ump AFTER getting back into the dugout and starting to put his gear on.

Very, very strange.

Almost as strange as how the WaPo site is treating my attempts to stick with the Boodle tonight. *raised unibrow*

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 17, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Blago guilty on one count, jury hung on all the others.

I did not follow the trial closely, but it seems that this is a reasonable verdict. Anyone that saw Blago in more than quick bursts would have to just roll their eyes. He looks like a grade A goofball. Who could think he is a criminal... even if he is? The guy's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.

The one entity that is certainly guilty is the electorate of Illinois. Perhaps the Illinois political system? How many governors in a row went straight to trials? Yecch.

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Scotty,

Just be a careful with those work-issued laptops. It's a little difficult explaining to the office manager how you blew through the monthly bandwidth limit on a four day trip 'just checking e-mail.'

Good thing the WaPo blogs are so text heavy. If only they would get rid of that massive graphics file at the top of every page.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,

Yeah, that is true...

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

If I wasn't firmly entrenched as baldinho, I might consider a more topical handle.

Slothario.

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodness. You must read this brilliantly satirical piece. It is clearly in the same ironic vein as Joel's "It's Obama's Fault" piece.

What I find truly fascinating, and alarming, is that if you mosey on over to memeorandum you can find a lot of far-right bloggers who do not recognize that this is ironic despite being about as subtle as a whoopie cushion.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | August 17, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Last one for tonight. There seems to be a lot of distressed folks doing a lot of distressed things, particularly shooting up stuff and then shooting themselves. Someone in the north country of NH did that very thing yesterday.

I dunno if I know anyone who is truly distressed at this point. I am lucky that way. If I did, I would make sure to go and give that person a big old hug right about now.

It couldn't hurt.

Posted by: baldinho | August 17, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Just spent a blissful two hours sitting on the back porch watching, hearing and smelling the rain come down (3:30 -5:30 PST) first since last spring. We were right in the middle of a thunder storm cell. Got about an inch and half. The power went out so all we could do was sit under the cover and enjoy a couple of scotch on the rocks. Reports now that Medford got hail up to 1 inch dia. Broke some windshields and intersection flooding.
After it stopped three families of about 30 quail came up to feed, tossing and fluffing their wet feathers.
The temp dropped from 95 to 70. All is right this evening.

Posted by: bh72 | August 17, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

baldhino... thanks. Lucky for us, what's distressing for the G family these days is relatively small. Very small, in fact. But thanks for the hug anyway.

bh... sounds perfect. I can almost smell the petrichor.

Posted by: -TBG- | August 17, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

RD,
Those are the same people that love Stephen Colbert because he tells it like it is. Irony deficiency is a major cause of wingnuttery.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Let them eat spinach, I says.

Posted by: -dbG- | August 17, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

An astoundingly Not Safe For Anywhere tribute (I mean not even the title is work-safe) to Ray Bradbury:

It's good to see classic science fiction evoke such, uh, passion. Catch the Kurt Vonnegut call-out at 2:28. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 17, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Was everyone having Boodle problems last night, or was it just a particularly slothful period? :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse

RD_Padouk, your hypothesis gets another chance today. The Roger Simon article is being run today by the reactionary right-wing Manchester Union Leader's Op-ed page. Let's see how many of the commenters understand he is making a funny. I am betting less than 10%.

Posted by: baldinho | August 18, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

*tesing the snazzy biz laptop's Boodle compatiblity on the Dawn Patrol* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Hello, Ivansmom, glad you and the Boy enjoyed your vacation. My grandsons are also starting high school. They will begin next week. Time sure does fly. I knew it was coming, but it seems to have gotten here so fast!

So sad about the woman that suffocated her children because she argued with her mom about their care. Didn't she realize there was another way to go with that. My heart is heavy for that family.

Hope all is well in Achenblog land. Have a great day, folks, and love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | August 18, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

You gotta update the duty roster, Scotty. I can't do both Night Shift and Dawn Patrol. Things have really fallen apart around here since the shop steward resigned.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra!! *HUGSSSS* :-)

yello, your sleep patterns are outside the Boodle's jurisdiction, you know that.

*hurtling-through-a-hopefully-quick-morning-before-jetting-to-the-north-for-dinner-with-NukeSpawn-and-perhaps-a-bit-of-business-too Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your dinner Scotty.

Morning everyone.

Posted by: dmd3 | August 18, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling lobster will be involved, dmd... :-))))

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

This has been the worst commute morning I can recall. (Granted, my mind is going.)

Here's a helpful suggestion to the hard-working men and women of local police forces.

If you are going to put up barricades a mile down an arterial road, please try to give notice of some sort to those getting off the beltway.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | August 18, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Rumors of my demise are -- well, will likely be proven true at some point, but are as believeable as any other rumor.

Had a good laugh about the 5th political party, LiT. I'm still dealing with the mess from that one, and I have a hellacious hangover to boot. I don't really have motivation or energy for a 6th at the moment. I don't know where Politicians get the money, er, I, mean, energy to keep partying as if their lives depended on it.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | August 18, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Morning all, I'm feeling slothful today, even if I did just mop the kitchen floor.

Cassandra, I hope you're feeling well today. Yes, such a terrible thing that young woman did to her children. Would that we could bring them back.

The shop stewart RESIGNED? Howcome nobody told me? Scotty, you have big shoes to fill! And give Nukespawn a bear hug from me!

Posted by: slyness | August 18, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

slyness, he actually re-signed the Kincaid... :-)

bc, make sure the bc-mobile's amphibious kit is up-to-date -- nasty out there!

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, glad your business trip makes time for a visit with Nukespawn, have fun.

Our horrible humidity is gone, thank goodness. Lots of errands and chores to catch up on today. We still have tons of tomatoes but I'm not complaining. I can't believe how wonderful all the produce is this year. We have bought corn from the local farm stand almost every night and it has been perfect every time. The weather gods have certainly made up for last summer.

Posted by: badsneakers | August 18, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Giant radioactive lobsters? 'Cause that would be cool. And work related.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, hot coffee and chilled OJ still available.

As a resident of Ill-In-Oy I suppose I should attempt to comment coherently on the Blago verdict, local politics in general, and why voters here have an odd track record of electing people who eventually end up in jail.

Alas, I can't.

Everyone enjoy the day. We're having shish kebabs for dinner, should anyone be in the area.

Posted by: MsJS | August 18, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I understand, MsJS. There is no rhyme or reason to the whole debacle, so no way to comment rationally.

Posted by: slyness | August 18, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, yello. I've alerted the region's butter melters in preparation for the aftermath of the Battle of the Giant Radioactive Lobsters.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | August 18, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks bc. I thought the joke fell flat. Should be interesting to see what pinatas there are next go-round. While the donkey pinata has taken a couple good swings, looks like someone spilled tea all over the elephant one and it's now in tatters. Not so sure there's enough paper mache to fix it. I'm thinking there will be more pinatas for a while, but after a decade or so, only two will be worth putting a blindfold on.

Another day, another road trip. Have a happy one all.

Posted by: LostInThought | August 18, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

All depends on the goodies falling out of the pinatas, no?

Hey, y'all. With a full plate of work this week I laughed at the sloth theme of the kit and am glad to see most of you have enjoyed, or about to enjoy, some true leisure. Vintage Lady will be right over the mountain from me --- I hope she enjoys her respite in the Shenandoah.

Cee-ya.

Posted by: talitha1 | August 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I had it figured yesterday and thought to look for confirmation today, which I found. My brain may be going but my nose still works. In a good way.

Posted by: Jumper1 | August 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Well, the rent-for-sex arrangement is fairly sleazy, but what the heck, consenting adults and all that.

But the blackmail was just entirely uncalled for. That's greedy and lazy.

"2 women accused of extortion in Fairfax sex-for-rent case"

Posted by: bobsewell | August 18, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

No matter how he paints that picture BobS, he handed his wife her hat. Good news though, is she's about to be a landlady.

Posted by: LostInThought | August 18, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If you can't trust a Hooker to respect client confidentiality, who can you trust?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Scotty, when eating radioactive crustaceans make sure to use a bib. Not only does is keep stains off your tie, it helps to block both the alpha and beta radiation.

Probability of a baldinho appearance in Hampton is low, though I am holding out for a late-breaking change in that.

Posted by: baldinho | August 18, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse