BP fires someone you never heard of

You never heard of Andy Inglis until today. He's been fired by BP. He spent the summer killing the Macondo well. He's the company's head of global exploration and production, and when the blowout happened April 20, he became the top BP engineer working directly on the plans and operations for plugging the well -- essentially the boss of the war room in Houston.

BP made some mistakes after April 20, some of them more clear in retrospect than at the moment the mistakes were being made. The sealing cap that finally shut off the well July 15 probably could have been put on sooner -- we now know.

But the timing is interesting here. BP waited until the well was officially killed (Sept. 19, thanks to relief well) before giving the heave-ho to the guy leading that operation. BP announced today that Inglis is out of a job, off the board, and leaving the company.

Inglis never gave interviews; I don't know the back story here. Obviously many people will say (not knowing a thing about this guy) that he got what was coming to him because he oversaw the exploratory drilling operation, and it went catastrophically kablooey, and then BP didn't have a ready fix, and the gulf got polluted, and the birds and turtles died, and so on. There are people who are surely eager to see someone at BP (beyond just the gaffe-prone Tony Hayward) held accountable. But did Inglis create the culture that led to the mistakes, short-cuts, and general haste that seemed to be factors in the blowout? There are a lot of people involved in an operation as huge, sprawling and lucrative as oil drilling, and so we might ask why did THIS person wind up with his head on a pike, while other folks, such as BP's head of safety, Mark Bly, got promoted.

I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

I haven't personally explored this site, but Scitable at a glance looks like a good source of science news, especially for students.

Here's an explanation of the site via an email from the folks at Nature Publishing:

[Scitable is] aimed primarily at college and high school classrooms, but it's also widely used by parents of younger students and other people from all walks of life who want to develop a substantive understanding of science.... People can go as deep as their level of learning and curiosity takes them. All of the content is written by scientists in the field, and reviewed by other scientists using a system based on a traditional journal review process. The names and institutions of the authors are published with each article, so all of the material can be cited by students in their classwork (hence it's "citable"). When we launched, we had focused the core of the library on the foundational field of genetics. Since then we've added content in ecology; in a few weeks we're going to launch a new cell biology module, and over the next year we're planning to expand across the remaining life sciences.

Scitable is designed to provide classrooms a learning tool that is suited to the ways that students most naturally learn today. First of all, all of the content is atomized and easily searchable, sharable, and storable. Second, the network of research scientists, faculty, and other students are integrated closely into the content. If you're reading an article on DNA, for instance, you can see faculty from around the world reading the same topic and reach out to them with questions, or you can post a query to our pool of experts. Third, the content doesn't focus solely on memorization of terms, but around telling the story of how our core scientific concepts have evolved. What problem were the researchers trying to solve when they designed a particular experiment? What did they learn from the results? How did they build consensus for their theories around the world of science? Who overturned their theories? ...

By Joel Achenbach  | September 29, 2010; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anxiety roundup, from D.C. to Islamabad
Next: Gliese 581g

Comments

After ten long years, they let him out of the home...
('Scitable boy, they all said...)

He was probably eating too much farm-raised shrimp.

Posted by: bobsewell | September 29, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What stage of the project are we now in? Punishment Of The Innocent or Reward For The Uninvolved?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Atomized knowledge?

No mouses, not even mega-molecules. We have to make our students inhale knowledge atom by atom. You know how many atoms are in a single chromosome, never mind a mouse? Linear knowledge is too computerized and will fail. We are made to parallel-process a huge amount of information at once in multiple sensorial modalities, and endure a substantial amount of sensory repetition until we learn the patterns.

Atomized knowledge is just another word for "brainwashing by sensory deprivation," or as students everywhere call it, boredom.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | September 29, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What, nobody's saying anything?

Scitable sounds like a great place.

To continue our discussion, Mudge, I think there's more to it than just the inability to handle complexity. There has to be a mob-action component, the desire to belong to a group of like-minded individuals. Not all older folks can't take complexity (hi Manon!). Maybe it's a different culture from the one we live in.

To them, I say, in the words of my best friend's 16 year old son: Nut up or shut up.

The creationism museum. Now that's one sick, sick place.

I hope Andy Inglis has the skills and contacts to land another job, doing the right thing.

Posted by: slyness | September 29, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am so relieved. Gosh, am I glad that is over. BP has fired the responsible person. We can all rest easy and get on with our lives, knowing that the problems are fixed and the guilty punished. Finally, deep-water drilling is safe again. See, that wasn't complicated after all.

Time to celebrate! Think I'll go to a tea party.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin." - Oscar Levant

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Zounds! Mudged twice in less than eight hours ... is that a record?

The BP story doesn't surprise me one bit. As to Scitable, my sciences are in the culinary or textile chromatology fields. Beyond that I'm open to anything I can learn.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

As anybody linked to Joel's jumbo kangaroos and ten-foot-tall birds story yet?
Here it is anyway: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/10/dreamtime-animals/achenbach-text

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 29, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks bobsewell. I'll be putting the ear phones on right now! Nice, a little Zevon to finish out the afternoon.

Posted by: cowhand214 | September 29, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, thanks for the National Geographic link. Fascinating, and Mr.A makes it so readable for the layman, even down to his "crystal clear muddle" at the end. Photos and illustrations excellent. I want some camel in beet juice and smoked emu for dinner!

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The ICE maiden, Janet Napolean, Neopolitan, Neopolitano, Napolitano, says she needs a way, and the Excuses in Chief says he can't git 'er done, because Republicans are in his way, he and his Dethugmocrats are all over the federal government, camping in the tents on the hill and on the grounds of Pennsylvania Ave. and the new 'BLEEP' is: they need a way? Sounds like they have lost their WAY and that means WE are leaderless and rudderless in the face of serious threats against American interests here and around the world. Looks like WE need a return to the only well identified group of people they are 'feared of', but known to keep US close to that Good Old Prosperity and safety, GOP's, ASAP!

Joel, there you go again, and those, most frequently un-'Scitable', "...eager...people...Obviously ...say(ing), but (not knowing a thing about this guy) that he got what was coming to him"(1), who often show up in your posts testifying anonymously to supporting an agenda apparently along the same line as you are on, precisely that: people at the top of big anything (except big Dethugmocrat government), deserve what they get, regardless of the source and validity of the opinion that they deserve or don't deserve anything. This is blatant collectivist, thug activism at it's smelliest. Way beneath a "Little Known Blogger" from WaPoo who has now become more known, if not well.

Be heartened tho' that 'dirty rat', Zucker of PMSNBC, gets the axe, and only $20,000,000 goes out the door with him, guess he got what he deserved, huh?

Americans for Excellence in Blogging

Cited:(1) By Joel Achenbach | September 29, 2010; 1:36 PM ET |

Posted by: RichNomore | September 29, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Megafauna: It's what's for dinner.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

RIP Arthur Penn. I note that Bonnie and Clyde is the scheduled primetime Saturday night movie on TCM ... very prescient of them.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Ozzie mega-animals. That's Tim Flannery territory. I loved his book "The Future Eaters" even if he got a bit speculative. I'm waiting for "Back to the Future in the Caves of Kaua'i", which gets into human (and rat and pig) induced extinctions in the Pacific.

I live near a poorly-documented example of human-megafauna coexistence. A rich sampling of big Florida animals at the end of the Pleistocene, along with human remains. Better-documented examples are on the Aucilla River in northern Fla.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

RNM -- I know Janet Napolitano and my gracious God's Wounds, ICE MAIDEN she is not.

Perhaps you do not know that that word means, boss....said in my best Fezzik voice.

Talitha -- perhaps you know that Zounds is shorthand for GWs, a sort of exclaiming utterance...

Gee Whiz, should really be spelled closer to Jesus Wow by Golly (another God reference)

Hocus Pocus stabs fun at transubstantiation in the liturgy of the Mass....

more of course...

but RNM, now that I think about this -- are you slapping at JN's Italian heritage? Not hard to find out to spell her name...you do not have to like her policies....try something concrete like:

I do not think JN's approach to X is the best idea. Why not try Y or Q. The case for Y over X is this:........

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

DotC, because I lived on Kaua'i for a short time and did a little exploring, I googled that title. See this link (and note the last blurb by Flannery).

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

CqP, oddly enough the "origins" of Zounds and Gee Whiz, etc., came up in a discussion I took part in yesterday. We had someone object to the use of 'Jeez' by another poster and the etymologists took turns trading their favorite versions. Probably why I used it earlier, semi-consciously.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Talitha,

Cheesy Peezy and Gee Whiz go extra nicely together.

But, others here might recall my fave swear-ing phrase:
Lord Save Us Dick Davis;
don't eat us for a cuppla raw potatoes

I think it refers to fears of cannibalism during the great hunger in Ireland.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 29, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

RNM, I've been reading JA's work for a while now, and don't ever recall him using anonymous sources or supporting any agenda. Can you back up those claims? I know you like to stretch the truth so thin you can read a newspaper through it, but it is Our Leader And Hero you're talking about here.

Also, you might want to think about using real words and acronyms. It might make it a tad easier to figure out what you're trying to say. (I still can't figure out WE...Wiccan Enthusiasts? Whacked Extremists? Help me out here.)

Posted by: LostInThought | September 29, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I just tried to post my favorite Gee Whiz dating from the 1590s and it was eaten by the great white page of doom, probably for good reason. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Coll......Park...

WE don't think JN's approach to "finding her way" should be part of Heading HLS, WE expect more of OUR leaders than her and the Excuses in Chief saying they can't git 'er done, because Republicans are in their way, she, he, and his Dethugmocrats are all over the federal government, camping in the tents on the hill and on the grounds of Pennsylvania Ave. and the new 'BLEEP' is: they need a way? Sounds like they have lost their WAY and that means WE are leaderless and rudderless in the face of serious threats against American interests here and around the world. Looks like WE need a return to the only well identified group of people they are 'feared of', but known to keep US close to that Good Old Prosperity and safety, GOP's, ASAP!

It takes a heart of ICE to suggest that the problem Arizona and the rest of the Border States have is they don't have enough immigrants from the South. Apparently she and BO think the only real problem is 75% of the country, the long lines at the Motor Voter DMV's, and the Crazy people that are about to vote as many of their supporters out!

Posted by: RichNomore | September 29, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

...and if WE went the GOP's Way, WE would have leaders with a way coming in, lines at the DMV would be Way shorter, WE would actually be safer, and a bunch pf cities around the USA would be able to afford to provide the services they owe their legitimate citizens. (Not to mention LEADERSHIP owed to US by the Promiser in Chief)

Americans for Excellence in Blogging

Posted by: RichNomore | September 29, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

...pf - poor f**ked....

Posted by: RichNomore | September 29, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, RNm.

"Americans for Excellence in Blogging" appears to be a googlenope.

Posted by: MsJS | September 29, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The furnishings, dmd3? Now I begin to get it. Would you say that one of the attractions is that Dickens offered a voyeuristic peek behind the doors of different social classes? Or the consumerist pleasures of browsing a good mail order catalog?

I've a bit of an engineering bent - the desire to take off the decorative cover panels to see how the device behind them works. But socially, the decor IS part of how the whole thing works. What did you conclude about the furnishings in Dickens?

Posted by: j3hess | September 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

In part yes, j3hess, Dickens used the furnishings, clothing to enhance his viewpoint of Victorian society - which was not favourable. It also appeals to me as I am one of those people who need to see, touch, feel something in order to get a grasp on it. Heavily descriptive literature helps me when there are not pictures, also I do not pick up subtlety easily so it also helps that way.

I wanted to mention earlier that I do not know Oliver Twist at all, never read the story, saw the movie or the musical so I can't comment on your statement.

One of the reasons I think I have struggled with SciFi/Fantasy as it is too far out of the realm of what I can understand/relate to.

My dad had an engineering background as well I grew up with someone who had to take it apart just because he could/was curious - a favorite memory was him trying to fix a portable TV - you know that warning about electric shock if you remove the cover - yup it is true :-).

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

dmd3,

Shocks? Oh yes, I know of shocks! :-(
And bruised hands, inadvertent tattoos left by greasy sheet metal edges, exploding a capacitor's contents all over my lab partner ....

So how about Tolkien? He's assembled a fictional/fantasy world, but also spends great swaths of pages detailing to flora and fauna and landscape. Did you sample Tolkien? Did his descriptive details help it work for you?

Posted by: j3hess | September 29, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Nice day here on the left coast. I'm now officially back on retired status and no longer a temp employee at the Britt. Took down all the signs today and stored them away with attached notes and hardware of where they are to be installed next June. Moved the remaining 50 boxes of programs to the recycle bin.
Nice discussion of the tea party. It has completely severed my wife from her sisters (one in NY living on government retirement who's husband is a retired NYC fireman along with one son that is also a NYC fireman. The other son went to UC Davis and a masters at Cornel on full scholarships and then came back to work at UC Davis for many years running the school dairy. The other a wife of a banker in Sacramento that keeps telling my wife that Obama doesn't even have a birth certificate.) I also no longer can converse my only remaining ninety year old aunt and uncle that moved from Chico, CA to a Dallas suburb. My aunt keeps forwarding me tea party BS about the CA medical industry wreckage about the 'drop mom's/babies.'

Posted by: bh72 | September 29, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

j3hess, my husband said the same thing about the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, he thought knowing my love of plants that I would enjoy it. Someday I will try but first must get over hobbits?

What I love about Joel's writing style is the clarity and humour it helps me with concepts that are difficult for me (space/science) yet is not a watered down version.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least our silly blog fruitcake isn't spending a thousand posts trying to defend Christine O'Donnell's use or now, non-use of Linkedin.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 29, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

dmd3! Agreed on your opinion of Joel and his work. What I like about the boodle and it causes confusion with some first timers and me at times is that so many of the regulars (SAO-15) can quite easily and often carry on a very articulate and compelling discussion supporting a position that they don't actually support.

SciTim, for instance had me completely floored once. That's why, when you have moonbats come by just throwing rocks and breaking furniture around the place, you just wish that they would understand that all you have to do is make an argument for something and we can talk.

Too often, someone in get a little hug and a "listen dear" from an SAO-15 member and they just don't get it.

RNM didn't understand how nice cQp was. RNM, do you have an actual position on something. What is it that you would like us as a nation to do? Do you have a plan?

That's all cQp's suggestion was. Beyond the bellyaching, what's up in your world? Otherwise, just chill. Go see a movie.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 29, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Just had some Chinese-takeout-comfort food from a nice place around the corner. Unfortunately, what would have taken 5 minutes roundtrip, took what seemed to be forever, because of the bus that ran off the bridge onto 270. That just happens to be in my neighborhood, you see, and it was something I had momentarily forgotten until I got out of the garage. Since I'd already ordered the (extra spicy, 'cuz that's the way I like it) food, I had to follow through.

Terrible, terrible accident. One dead so far (possibly the driver, but news outlets aren't saying yet (and probably don't know, either) and quite a few in hospital.

I wonder if RNM actually believes that he/she/it is going to convince us that he/she/it is correct and we are not. As an always ├╝ber-skeptical consumer, neither my head nor my heart has turned yet.

Posted by: ftb3 | September 29, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Talitha, I should have posted the Yale University Press link--with that blurb item by Flannery.

Evidence of wide pre-European extinctions on Pacific islands caught biologists by surprise. Today, there's quite a large literature on extinct birds and how they fit in with the surviving ones.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

And, more importantly, when's the last time we heard from Martooni? I do hope he's alright and that the Bean is enjoying school (2nd grade now???).

Posted by: ftb3 | September 29, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I always scroll past RNM. Don't see why some of you read him and try to convince him of reality.

Posted by: bh72 | September 29, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

dmd, Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern books (which MofM mentioned earlier) are a wonderful future/past, fantasy/scifi series that might really appeal to you and to your daughter.

The descriptions of clothing, interiors, food, and music are vivid and sometimes read like a good gothic victorian novel. And the dragons are the best characters. Even my hardcore scifi-loving son and husband liked them.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Weed, I've never spent a thousand posts defending anything... *confused*

Oh, wait... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 29, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

bh, I attempt to read RNM in the vain hope that at some point there will be something written clearly enough for me to understand WTF he/she is trying to convey. To date all gibberish.

I amuse easily.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

scc: Dragonriders of Pern
(Her Harper Hall series is geared more to teens and is about music apprentices on Pern and their singing fire lizards - I liked them and the Crystal Singer series, too.)

Scroll down for a complete bibliography.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

One thing you can say about RNM is that that RNM reads our strings before posting. Why, thank you, Sir or Madam.

But, I must say this: PF is best in PF Flyers the tennie runners of my youth. RNM meant this in a not so nice way, I think.

LiT wonders what WE is in an earlier RNM post. I say, what about Wicked Electrons? You know, the electrons hailing from MA and those that might like the SOXies over the Yankees?

Thanks, gentlemen RT; and I agree, despite some demo-greenie-liberaloloopalooza-progressive tendencies here what we love is a good argument. Not afraid of ideas, at all.

Back to typing for monies on an underbid contract. Think I might be earning 0.03 cents per word, now. Hi HO, Hi HO, it's is off to work I go........let's play dwarfs instead of trolls. Dwarfs are druidey on good days. Trolls? Well, they are beyond grumpy and have poor hygiene and deportment. Better if they remain outliers and in the hinterlands, if I were in charge. But, since I not in charge -- and I am learning to deal graciously -- back most cheerfully to the salt mines.

And, but waving gbye to Mudgie and MrsMudgie! Can you bring me back a Hula girl for my dashboard? Thanks.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 29, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Snuke, I am astounded at what happened in the Plumline comment section. An absolute WOW on that one. Snuke, no fruit cake, you. HA HA HA.

I don't know why I just spent 15 minutes finding an old Oscar Lavant appearance on What's my Line.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 29, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I just realised something about which I must warn you all. If you watch too many low-budget movies over the course of say, oh, 5 days, it is possible that you may confuse the lions outside the Art Institute of Chicago with those manning the portals of the New York Public Library, even if you know one film or another is set in either Chicago or Manhattan and even worse, if you've visited both locations multiple times.

This really messes with the willing suspension of disbelief, let me tell you.

Posted by: Yoki | September 29, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

RNM's doing prosiness. Something that of looks like prose, but isn't quite. Think Gracie Allen or sometimes Sarah Palin.

I like that "Proofiness" is now a book title.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

cQp,

Why did you make me think of this?

Posted by: russianthistle | September 29, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Does Toronto have lions after the manner of New York and Chicago?

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh, Dave, pleeeeeze do not put Gracie Allen in the same sentence with Sarah Palin! Gracie Allen had brains, while, well, you know ........

Posted by: ftb3 | September 29, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Like these DotC, and for fun scroll to the most recent pics in this blog - great idea CP would love.

Seriously I am thinking there must be lion statutes somewhere, perhaps on the CNE grounds will look.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Gracie Allen was astonishing. Getting all those wiggly lines straight. Palin can only aspire to that kind of star power. TV appearances or not.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

A simple question to RNM: if the GOP way was to crack down on illegals, why did they do nothing from 2001 to 2006?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: baldinho | September 29, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

ftb, this is for you:

Posted by: russianthistle | September 29, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Yoki,

For future reference:

The Art Institute of Chicago:

New York Public Library:

Know your lions.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

And the Toronto Lion, at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ever so, Weed. Pretty funny couple. I wonder what she would have been like had she reached 100 like he did. Funnier than ever, I'd bet.

I just heard from a friend that the traffic around here is still dreadful from the accident. So sad. And, yes, I'm glad I'm home.

Cya tomorrow.

Posted by: ftb3 | September 29, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

dmd,
That lion sure looks a lot like this guy:

If you see that lion, the movie is definitely not set in New York or Chicago.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I always liked the lions at each end of the Taft Bridge (Connecticut Ave/Calvert) in DC.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

A quick check revealed there are two lions at the ROM (outside), carved around 1600 for a Chinese palace. Not sure if they got moved when the museum has the addition put on.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

A catless NY Public Library.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 29, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

There are just lions everywhere:

That guy is probably the biggest one I've seen.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

And then there is the rel thing:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Even lil' ole Savannah, GA has a widely-photographed lion. Well, technically a gryphon, I think.

It's in front of the old Cotton Exchange. Unfortunately, the original late-1800's terra cotta piece was smashed to bits by a drunk driver a couple of years ago, so the current model is a concrete reproduction.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

We were watching Burns & Allen shows on Netflix Watch Instantly a few months ago and Daughter and her friend were in the kitchen while we were watching (in our attached family room).

We heard giggling and then outright laughter and realized they had stopped talking and were watching along with us.

Gracie Allen was hilarious. Those shows are still fun to watch.

http://bit.ly/cEWK5r (hope this link works)

Posted by: -TBG- | September 29, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

That lion was at the National Gallery in London, right, Yello?

You have waay too many photos.

Posted by: slyness | September 29, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

The autobiography of George Burns makes the point that Gracie was actually extremely intelligent. You think it was easy getting all that silly stuff down?

As to the kit. I keep thinking of the tradition in which the convicted man must first dig his own grave.

And Scitable seems very cool. Although, I must admit that, like bobsewell, I initially thought of Warren Zevon.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 29, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Bob-S,

Somehow I missed the gryphon, but found the Cotton Exchange.

Besides, the most famous statue in Savannah is the The Waving Girl.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Trafalgar Square in front of the National Gallery. Good catch.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I took Mental Floss's quiz on the 10 Largest Cities in Virginia.

One problem with their answers: Arlington is a county, not a city.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 29, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Been there...great museum.

Posted by: slyness | September 29, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

TBG - you have to be a member of Netflix to see that. Although, it's a great motivator to become one.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 29, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

As I was looking for Lion pictures (yes I distract that easily), I saw some pictures of the Lions in Trafalgar Square (4 of them?) as well as the winged Lions on a bridge in St. Petersburg, Russia - very impressive.

The lions on the bridge in DC I liked as well.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

shrieking_denizen, your photo of construction back in the day of the NYC library was amazing to me that the cinder blocks in the foreground are just like they are today. I always thought that design was somewhat more modern and they used solid stone blocks then,

Posted by: bh72 | September 29, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

yello - The Savannah gryphon might not have been there when you took the photo. It got destroyed in 2008. Apparently the lady was zooming right along, 'cuz after bashing through the fountain, she went through a wrought iron fence and crashed into the entrance of the Exchange. They might not have installed (or at least uncovered) the replacement until after you were there. I don't think they had the grand unveiling until last December or thereabout.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

yello, I noticed on your Savannah gallery that you had a really nice shot of the Savannah School of Art and Design. Wonderful school and one on my son's short list to attend. He ended up studying at several art and/or film schools before he finished but I'd hoped he'd choose Savannah so I could visit. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

TBG - Arlington is surely both, yes?

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Also - double plus good article by Joel over there at Nat Geo. I've read an awful lot about North and South American Megafauna (Titanis Walleri, like, rocks) but didn't realize there was a similar situation in Australia. And a similar controversy over what happened to them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Bad bear story

Posted by: bh72 | September 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorites
from the Lions Bridge in Mariners Museum Park, Newport News VA.

Heading out early in the morning for a weekend away with Mr. F. Dr. has cleared me to start jogging on the treadmill, and running next week if I feel ok. Hah, I knew it wouldn't take 6 stinking weeks.

Toodles boodle, and sweet dreams.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

St. Augustine lion:

I think that's the old bridge, which was mostly demolished and rebuilt. I haven't visited since the new version opened. The old bridge was a huge project when built in the 1920s--St. Augustine was a small town in the smallest state in the South.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 29, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Talitha - Our receptionist's oldest son (quite a talented artist, based upon the few of his works that I've seen) surprised her greatly when he announced fairly recently his intention to attend SCAD. She'd never heard of the joint.

I assured her that it has a fine and growing reputation. It's been fun watching it develop over the years. Sometimes I think they own or lease half of downtown Savannah.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

SCAD is quite the school. Our hotel was at the edge of the city right near that main building I took the picture of, but they have other locations all over the city. They have taken over several 50s era art deco-ish storefronts in the old shopping district.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Bob-S,
I was there for Thanksgiving last fall, so I probably did miss the gryphon, unlike that lady in the car.

fb,
Great news on your rapid recovery.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

TCM just did a tribute to director Arthur Penn who I mentioned this afternoon had died. I had forgotten that he also directed The Miracle Worker (Bancroft and Duke), Alice's Restaurant, Missouri Breaks (Nickolson and Brando) and Little Big Man. I just always remember him for Bonnie and Clyde.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I got 7 (really 8) of the Virginia cities - I must have misspelled one of them, because it wasn't acknowledged, so I moved on.

I'll refrain from specifics, so as not to ruin it for others who may wish to give it a shot.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize Arthur Penn di, rected Little Big Man, love that movie, Chief Dan George was so good.

The SCAD looks like a great place, the Ontario College of Art & Design built a great new building a few years ago.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Not sure what to make of the changes at BP yet, could be a preemptive move to allay or deflect criminal investigations/charges, or simply an internal situatuon that demanded resolution *now*, or any other number of things. I'll take JA at his word and wait to see what develops there...

Took me 3+ hours to get home from work tonight, trapped like an ant in amber in that awful traffic at the beltway and I-270 -- that bus accident was terrible and tragic.

That science site looks interesting (and I have a vested interest in science education), going to have to make a point to look it over later. I noticed JA's Natty Geo piece in a Doctor's waiting room week before last, and my daughter asked me about the giant kangaroos -- I was thinking along the same lines as yello, and told her that I thought they'd be tough compared to the tasty red and grey kangaroo I'd sampled for dinner some years ago (I enjoyed the red a bit more).

On another note, I'm packed and ready to head down to Joel's old stompin' grounds in FL for a couple of days of R&R (wRenching and Racing). The car's ready and loaded, and we're hitting the road at 04:30 ayem.

G'night, all.

bc

PS too tired to mention the Goldilocks planet around little old Gilese 158 (IIRC) but think it sounds like a good stop for a Disney Cruise.

Posted by: -bc- | September 29, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear. I was making comment on how Toronto can fill in for either Chicago or New York, given the tax credits. I'll be a little less allusive about the Canadian telefilm industry in future.

Posted by: Yoki | September 29, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

My last post of the day, sorry I boodle hogged so much today - I did appreciate all the book suggestions and passed them on to my daughter - her comment - there are so many books I want to read! She then asked if I could just give her a selection books for Christmas - love that girl.

A much lighter bear story,

Posted by: dmd3 | September 29, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Have a good trip, bc.
Yoki, give us an inch ... and we'll take the lion by the mane? Oh dear, indeed.

Goodnight, Gracie.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 29, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Traddutore, traditore!
Tomorrow is International Translation Day

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 29, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I think of translation, I think of Doug Hofstadter (he of "Godel, Escher, Bach" fame). He's caused me to think more deeply about translation than anybody else.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, [excrement].

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | September 29, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 29, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Only got seven of the VA cities before I threw in the towel.

All this talk about lions made me remember that I hadn't posted my Switzerland pictures yet. In Lucerne there is a lion carved into the side of a rock. The lion commemorates Swiss soldiers killed during the French Revolution defending the royalty. It is a very sad noble looking lion:

And if you aren't tired of my photo pimping tonight, here are the rest of my pictures from Switzerland.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 29, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, [excrement], indeed, 'mudge. Why, oh why, does it seem like everything "WE" touch has to be smeared with [excrement]?

This story is, of course, a great example of why those of us who can do so should subscribe and/or pay our damned 75 cents per day for the newspaper. As much as I hate to hear about some of this stuff, my life is better because talented people are keeping an eye on it. An investment I'm pleased to make.

(Those who can't buy the paper paper should try to remember to click on an ad or two every day. Every little bit helps!)

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

That is quite a profound lion, yello. Thanks for highlighting that one.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

While I'd seen this "Lion of Atlanta" in the Oakland Cemetery (in southeast Atlanta. Bobby Jones & Margaret Michell are buried there) before, I hadn't known it was a copy of the Swiss memorial.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm laughing that you all don't think I know my lions. You win!

Posted by: Yoki | September 29, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

*eek!*

Margaret 'Mitchell', that would be. GWTW lady.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

*Driven out*

Posted by: Yoki | September 29, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Yoki - I'd be greatly surprised if anybody actually doubted your leonine learnedness.

The subject just kinda roared ahead under its own steam.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 29, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that when you live in a place named after its radium hot springs, you should expect the local fauna (& flora, for that matter) to get up to some interesting tricks every now & then.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 30, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Bob. 'Bye.

Posted by: Yoki | September 30, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

This passage from the "habitable planet" story jumped out at me:

"...It is considered to be in the habitable zone because of its distance from its sun and its size.

Together, those two measurements tell scientists that any water on the planet will be in liquid form, ... "

----------

That's a bold statement, considering that much of the water on Earth (also considered to be in the habitable zone) is not in liquid form at any given moment.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 30, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

The versatile and prolific Joel has a fresh story on the Well That Went Wrong:

The sort of thing you'd expect an engineering professor to write, with less style.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 30, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

The Post's "Energy is Urgent" panelists have some great comments (I like Rep. Markey). We're facing at least a couple of years of Congressional inaction on renewable energy, conservation, and climate change. Probably worse than inaction: disabling of what efforts the federal government is making.

I wonder about prospects for Tesla, the startup electric carmaker that's moving into the California plant where my little station wagon was built.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 30, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm really fine leaving. Being given-up. Done.

Posted by: Yoki | September 30, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Here's the link for the entire special report. Joel's article is top right. The panel and legislators' comments are further down. (think DotC's link is to the Alaska story)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 30, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Yoki. I was off in search of Joel's article and ended up reading the entire report.

Sleep well.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 30, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Just in case the Dawn Patrol has to engage submarine mode this morning, I simply must note the FB page for the Rally to Restore Sanity currently shows more than 175,000 plan to attend, with another 97,000-plus "maybes."

Let's hope they all follow through.

*putting-on-my-snorkel-and-going-to-get-the-canoe-off-the-porch Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 30, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. It's wet here as well. It seems that every second day I've got to drain a couple of inches of water off the pool.

RIP Tony Curtis

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 30, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

In my youth I used to read Superman comics (shocking, I know). In one issue Superman saved some astronauts but NASA wanted to know what went wrong. Superman studied every piece of the rocket and determined that while every single piece of the rocket was just barely within specifications, the assembly as a whole was a disaster waiting to happen. The sleazy defense contractor was then arrested. I know. Comic books are such wish fulfillment fantasies.

The parable is that BP also took every short cut available and then when the can't find any one item to blame, they call it an accident when really every single thing they did was at fault. If only Superman were around to set them straight.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I see BP is reconfiguring it's safety department/organization. They are going to make it a priority, just like all the other times.

wait for it...

But this time it will be different.

Posted by: baldinho | September 30, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Bob-S,
That is one curly well-coifed mane on that lion. He is the Ashley Wilkes of dying lions.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

baldinho,
I noticed that symbolism in Mufson's dead tree story this morning. Of course, the new HAIC was the guy responsible for the butt-covering report, so who knows what the real priorities or politics are.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. Mudge, really like your take on why people do what they do in the last kit. I think Ivansmom has it right also.

Love your 10:13 in the other kit also, Ivansmom.

We still have the water here, and it's starting to stay, not flowing somewhere, and that's not good, not good at all.

As for this kit, BP and their doings should be watched with a microscope for some time now. Don't trust them. Everything is done in the interest of that altar they worship at, which is called money.

Have a good day, folks, and love to all.

Slyness, hope the water in your area is drying up. We're still swimming. Not complaining, we desperately need the water.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 30, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of dead trees, the Alaskan contractors story is above the fold with a picture as well as three full pages inside. WaPo usually reserves that kind of acreage and ink for a new book by Bob Woodward.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I must have been asleep while attempting to post a link to Joel's oil story.

Thinking of the Alaska story, investigative journalism is on its last legs. A decade from now, no such stories.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 30, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. I had router issues earlier, but they seem to have resolved themselves. Here's to hoping they stay resolved. Dealing with Time Warner at 0730 hours isn't my idea of fun.

Yes, Cassandra, we're still wet but nothing falling right now. I'm hoping the sun will come out soon.

I hope investigative journalism isn't dying, DotC. There will always be a need and a market for strong stories. If newspapers don't do them, others, perhaps.

Busy day ahead, hope everyone has a good one!

Posted by: slyness | September 30, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Morning all... in a training class in a 5th-floor classroom looking directly onto the Potomac River. Rainy and beautiful. Of course, I could have stayed home to see water... right in my basement. Thank goodness the G family are great procrastinators and we haven't yet rebuilt after the Broken Pipe Fiasco.

The water seems to be filling up the window wells and dribbling into the basement.

The ray of sunshine in this scenario? My prepaid training class. Dr. G rushed home from work to handle this one today.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 30, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

ProPublica does good investigative reporting, but they are beholden to the MegaFoundationIndustrialComplex that funds NPR and such. Truly independent for-profit investigative journalism is gasping. No margin in it when you can just hire a few more Next Greatest Pundit Kritol wannabes and get just as many pageviews.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

DotC,

I'm not sure on that death notice. What is true right now ... much easier to put a load of hooey out there on the web (over and over and over).

Sourcing will be totally different, or maybe not. Maybe the WP and other traditional outlets will find a way to make money with writers of in depth pieces.

Oh, to my over and over comment... I really wanted to see something about the silly GOP budget plan, but all I got on Google was hundreds of right wing puff pieces with no real analysis. The GOP now knows to load the internet with crapola so you can't find any real analysis.

So, right now, you can still find the occasional reasonable analysis from the Post online (even though it has a fairly conservative editorial staff).

Posted by: russianthistle | September 30, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

jkt, HuffingtonPost is sucking up writers and serious pundits. I hear that the latest is Howard Fineman. I assume that he may be falling away from Newsweek. This makes sense. If you don't select the cover pick or write the stuff for the pack page ad, they don't need you.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 30, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Now here is a pro sports league I could get behind:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

TBG, at our old house we had a problem with a window well filling and water dribbling/pouring into the basement, a good cheap solution is the plastic window well covers - use silicon to seal the cover to the wall and if possible provide drainage away from the window well. In our case the problem was gutters too small and a maple tree too large that was constantly filling our gutters with crap (leaves, keys, flowers).

Not a long term solution but for around 20 bucks will help for a year or two.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 30, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Bucket brigade needed at my house as driveway drain gets clogged for the third time in two years. I've been up since 3 am keeping an eye on it and "scoopin'" the water from the step into the garage.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 30, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The rats (I don't think they are rats, for the most part they are good solid journalists, but that is the only metaphor I have) have been steadily jumping off Newsweek for a while. The last journalist left needs to unplug the printing press when he leaves.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

New kit.

Fire up the Jupiter 2, we've found habitable planets.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Soggy good morning, y'all!

yello, I was just waiting for *someone* to post a link to Hooters Football. No comment.

TBG, sorry to hear about your ongoing (and diverse) problems with the basement. Did you ever check into that concrete staining? Sometimes procrastination does have it's brighter sides.

*Listening to the gurgle and whirr of the sump pump*

Posted by: talitha1 | September 30, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse