Feelin' equinoctial again

One of the things about living in Washington is that, right around the autumnal equinox, you can always count on the Redskins blowing a game at the last minute. Also, the weather changes. The astronomers tell us that fall will arrive Sept. 22 (tomorrow) at 11:09 p.m., which is kind of late if you ask me. I'm feeling equinoctial right this second. Obama should push through calendar reform and do it right this time, altering the astronomical basis of the whole thing to make the fall/winter just as long as spring/summer. Though just watch, the Republicans would reflexively call that a power grab, government overreach. And conveniently forget that when they were in control they wanted schoolkids to be taught about the geocentric universe. The anti-Copernican forces have pretty much taken over the GOP, seems to me.

But onward. Last night I trained my bird-watching binoculars on the planet Jupiter, which is the closest it has been to Earth in something like 50 years. Lo and behold, there were four little dots next to Jupiter, two on the left, two on the right, all of them lined up pretty neatly. Those who follow astronomy closely and who are sophisticated about these things know that these little dots are moons, the Galilean satellites, named after the famous astronomer Galileo.

I'm always struck by the way most people know very little about the night sky and are impressed when I can do something as simple as identify the planet Jupiter. But of course I have an advantage, in that I navigate by sextant and can't even get to the Safeway without first consulting a star chart. I think a good resolution for the equinox is for everyone to go outside at night and look at the sky and figure out what's what. Hint: Big bright thing is the moon. Men visited there, they say. We're still trying to find a use for it (GOP currently split between those who say the moon should be privatized and, if possible, sold on open galactic market, and those who say it is actually a two-dimensional disk embedded on one of the concentric spheres of stars and planets surrounding the Earth).

By Joel Achenbach  | September 21, 2010; 9:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After the well is killed
Next: Microreview: Jonathan Franzen's 'Freedom'

Comments

I've seen news stories now that describe the situation as Jupiter making a close approach to Earth. Umm, it's four times as far from us as we are from the Sun. Closest, yes, but not exactly close.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Hehehe Ivansmom, but I had the tree wrong, no surprise, pretty sure it was an Autumn Purple White Ash.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Despite a brand new prescription I can't read the signs at the back aisle of the grocery store, so discerning the moons of Jupiter even with binoculars (which are more for being in the nosebleed seats of rock concerts than serious astronomy) is a fool's errand for me.

I took some pictures last night of both the Moon and of Jupiter but I haven't run them through Photoshop to see if any Gallilean satellites are distinguishable from the dust on my sensor.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm with ya, Joel.

I do enjoy the change of seasons, although my relatively recent (couple of years) foray into seasonal allergy-ville make it more problematic. But I love the crispness of the weather, the falling leaves, which seemed brand new and freshly, newly green just moments ago in the early Spring, the football games, apples and apple cider .... it's just a lovely time.

The farmers market down the street is starting to get some of the fall and winter root veggies, and I can't wait for the winter squash to come in. Give me butternut or give me, well, you know...

Nice to have a new kit, eh?

Posted by: ftb3 | September 21, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Looking for some astronomical diversion? You could go to the JPL Solar System Simulator and have all kinds of fun: http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

Go ahead, play with all the dials and knobs (or knials and dobs); you can't break anything.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

In the second graph, shoudn't that be "Io and behold"?

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

And, lo and behold, it is.

Posted by: bobsewell | September 21, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for me, in this font the lower case L the upper case I (eye) look the same. The moons of Jupiter are Ganymede, Europa, Callisto, and, yup, Io. They are named for four of Zeus (Jupiter)'s amorous conquests. Today we'd call them rape victims, but in Greco-Roman times not so much.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Ah, my 49ers, the gang that couldn't shoot straight. Kept hitting themselves in the foot.

Posted by: bh72 | September 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yep. I stayed up past my bedtime gazing at Jupiter through my binoculars. This is always tricky because my eyes aren't the same - but with some effort I could get a focus. I thought that I saw the moons, but I could have been fooling myself. Ever since that whole "Moon Maidens" business, I suspect my eyes might sometimes play tricks on me.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Sports teams and the changing of the seasons. I remember the advice my grandfather gave me when I was about 6 regarding daylight savings time.

"Just think of the Red Sox. Spring forward, fall back."

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It's the Sailor Moons that really grab my attention.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

We know your heart belongs to Titan, SciTim...

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Also, as I note each year, "Autumnal" is really, really fun to say. Here, let's say it together.

"Autuuuuuumnallll..."

There now. Doncha feel better?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, the Redskins didn't blow the game in the last minute. They took the whole second half to do that.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Arrrrrghhhhhhhh! Arrrtrumnilllllll.

Uh, sorry Padouk. I'm still kinda stuck on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could rejoice in saying "autumnal" but we are still stuck in hot temperatures. We had just enough of a taste of fall weather that our current 90s and high 80s feel wrong. Very wrong. I want deep blue skies, crisp mornings.

This morning I was at work long before the sun was up. Memo to teachers: when you ask a student to come in before school (that would be 6:30 a.m., for those of you counting, since school starts at 7:35) to make up a test, please be there.

I will break out the binoculars and even the telescope, if I can get it working, and see whether we can discern Jupiter et al tonight.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Don't get me started about Sailor Neptune.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

It's supposed to go back up to the 90s tomorrow here, Ivansmom. That messes up what I wanted to wear to a networking meeting tomorrow late afternoon and evening. Ah, well.

How does The Boy like middle school so far?

Posted by: ftb3 | September 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Took a quick midnight look at Jupiter and the Galilean satelites with my trusty Orion after MNF last night, based on RD's reminders. Nice.

Speaking of the Saints and 49ers, two scores and lead changes in the last 1:20 made for a pretty exciting finish. What _will_ I wear with the Tiara this week?

There are a lot of natural resouces in the Solar System (water/ice, petrochemicals, iron ores and other metals, etc.). Enough to make people want to move out there? Clearly, not yet.

As I suggested in the Boodle years ago, I bet that Luna Water (from the Forbidden and Mysterious Southern Hemisphere!) or H2O from other sources in the Solar System could sell here on Earth. If we can sell water at a premium from European sources, why not Europan?

Might be easier to get it from a NEO/comet than from a Jovian or Saturnian satelite, though...

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I, too am feeling all tumenal.

Mudge, I linked to the Iowa R-planks just for study; as examples of doublethink. I know; too many examples already. "Know thine.. [etc.]" If your sense is, it's too depressing for such a nice day, you are right.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 21, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

bc, I wrote a comment earlier congratulating you on the win (tough week, lots of upsets), but it was coupled with a rant and got eaten. But nonetheless, congrats on the tiara. Basic black and some Pretty Pretty Princess jewelery and you're good to go. I'll get it to FedEx today.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Autumnal, yes a very good word.

Terrible thunderstorm in St. Paul last night. Woke up to the sound of rain on the roof around 0100. A bad thing for the hip urban loft on the fifth floor of a seventh floor building. Turned out to be quarter sized hail on the balcony.

Have the fax fired up for gingersnap transport, will just hit the send button before I head to the post office to mail some to Mr. F. (some stupid complaint about crumbs gumming the machine, but I'll indulge him).

Later gators.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ah, ftb, the Boy successfully wrestled middle school to a draw. He is currently enjoying his status as a ninth grader. Since his school is grades 6-12, this makes him both exalted (to middle-schoolers) and lowly (to the subsequent high school grades). He seems to have found a reasonable balance between the two.

A teacher asked the class the other day who they lived with. The Boy's reply: "I live with wolves."

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You think your fax is messed up, frosti. Mine is full and jammed up with 1,500 useless counterfeit one-dollar bills. It shot three reams of paper all over the communications room in the shop steward's suite.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention the freaking 1,500 transmission reports. Another three reams.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Poor D'Artagnan. The lad lives with wolves, and has mice for dinner. And he has to seek a writ of habeus bladdderus if he needs to go to the john.

Well, at least he'll have an interesting childhood to tell his grandkids about.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it a parent's job to provide offspring with lots of things to tell their therapists after they reach adulthood?

That's how I've always explained it to the Boy. When, that is, I wasn't convincing him it was all written in the super-secret Parent's Manual they gave us at the hospital.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Natasha Pettigrew, the Green Party candidate for the Maryland U.S. Senate seat (Barbara Mikulski's seat) died a little while ago from injuries she suffered Sunday morning, when she was riding her bike near Prince George's Community College. It was a hit-and-run; the woman who hit her drove home 4 miles with the bike lodged under her SUV. She says she thought she hit a deer. Pettigrew was 30.

Also, Leonard Skinner died. Guy didn't even know how to spell his own name.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Saw that item on Pettigrew last evening, 'Mudge. Conflicting accounts of whether she had reflective clothing or lights on the bike. No word on possible charges against the idiot driver. *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Twitter got pr0n hacked. I'm shocked, you have no idea.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Channel 9 went out and found at the scene bits of her reflective belt she was wearing, Scotty. She also had reflective stuff on her shoes, her mother says.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Yanno, I'm really starting to like this guy:

"At conference, LaHood scolds automakers for adding distracting features to cars

By Ashley Halsey III
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 21, 2010; 10:54 AM

"The new battleground between advancing technology and highway safety emerged Tuesday when U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood scolded the auto industry for turning cars into entertainment centers.

"LaHood, speaking at a conference he convened on distracted driving, said that automakers have supported bans on text messaging and hand-held cellphone use while driving.

"But at the same time they have introduced other distractions.

"'In recent days and weeks we've seen news stories about carmakers adding technology in vehicles that lets drivers update Facebook, surf the Web or do any number of other things instead of driving safely,'" he said. "'Features that pull drivers' hands, eyes and attention away from the road are distractions.'"

"LaHood said he would meet with car companies to set new safety guidelines.

"'Together, let's put safety before entertainment," he told the gathering of several hundred politicians, safety advocates and business leaders in Washington.

"LaHood kicked off his second major conference on distracted driving with the announcement that in-state truck drivers who transport hazardous waste will be banned from sending text messages.

"The move closed a loophole in a year-old ban on texting by truckers and commercial bus drivers, extending the prohibition to include intrastate truckers who deliver gasoline, propane and other hazardous materials.

"LaHood also launched a more concerted effort to get private employers to adopt restrictions on cellphone use by their employees."

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

'Zactly so about Pettigrew, 'Mudge.

And yeah, that LaHood guy seems to have his head on straight.

Today.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Via Dave Barry-

Despite the obvious sadism of her parents, this woman seems to be doing OK.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Poor girl will never ever be able to become a Glaucoma Test Pilot without a lot of ridicule and attention.

It's like naming a boy Sue.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It's a helluva lot worse than naming a boy Sue. It's like naming him Cocaine Nabisco Jones.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the props, LiT.

I have Pretty Pretty Princess at home, so I'm good.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

It's the "Pepsi" middle name that got me ...

Posted by: ftb3 | September 21, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So "Coke" would be better than "Pepsi"?

Posted by: kguy1 | September 21, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

*driving by, will backboodle later*

Dear Mr. Joel Achenbach:

I would like to personally thank you for one of the brightest and mostest, bestest kits I've had the favor to read hereabouts lately. Perhaps I should say you posted it at the bestest and mostest needinessly times in my life.

I saw some specks next to Jupiter myself. Glad I'm not imagining things.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 21, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It's bad. Pepsi is a minor insult by itself around here.

Idiot drivers are everywhere. This 20-year-old kid lost control of his 18-year-old old japanese right-hand car and killed a couple waiting at a bus stop late last week. That double-whammy leaves their 3 girls orphan. Life do inhale sometimes.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 21, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

bc, congrats on the victory. If you want to festoon the tiara with fake $$$$, it sounds like Mudge can help you out.

Posted by: MsJS | September 21, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

;-)

I'm okay, y'all ..... just a trying time.
Write atcha later.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 21, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

She must be ok with it. If she ever changes it, I wonder if she'd just go to a simple Mary Jane pepsi whatever (see, I forget her last name already but will remember her first two already).

Posted by: -dbG- | September 21, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Small rant. I'm guessing a bunch of people are unhappy with how their ethnicity is portrayed by Hollywood, but I wanted to take this opportunity to clear up a few things about Italians.

We are not illiterate. We don't say 'youse.' That's an American colloquialism (PA? Scandanavian influenced? German?)

We don't get rid of people by sending them to 'sleep with the fishes.' We use hydrochloric acid just like everyone else.

We don't eat pasta. Pasta means dough. We eat macaroni. All macaroni are not made out of the same stuff but just cut differently. They have different ingredients, different uses. (Side note: the word gnocchi is pronounced sort of en-YOCK-ee. In practice, it's said NOCK-ee, like Baltimore is pronounced Balmoor. Also, gnocchi are made out of cheese, NOT potatoes (they're called potato gnocchi in the US the way Velveeta is called cheese food). We don't put garlic or oregano in everything.

We are demonstative people...we kiss, hug, give thwacks on the base of the skull, do two-knuckle twists of cheeks, gesture with our hands. Italian men are excellent lovers, and like most men, enjoy spending their free time practicing (practice makes perfect). And yes, a fair amount of Italians are Catholic, and have the Pope living in their back yard. But Italy has one of the lowest birth rates in the world. You figure it out.

Not all Italians have dark hair/skin/eyes. Northern Italians tend to be blonde/redheads with fair skin and light eyes.

Not all Italians are in the Mafia, and even if you have a relative who is, that doesn't make it true for you. (Think about it...if a relative worked for Microsoft, you wouldn't say you do too.)

Women a tad closer to the old country cover their heads, knees and shoulders in church. We wouldn't wear anything to anyone's god's house that we wouldn't wear to our grandmothers'. We do, however, wear heels with jeans (just not to church).

Don't curse in Italian if you don't know the import of that word. (Word to the wise...there's one word in particular that will get you *at a minimum* a shiner in no time flat. Don't EVER use it.)

I wouldn't for a New York second pretend I know what it's like to be Greek, or Korean, or whatever, and then poke fun at or perpetuate stereotypes. That Hollywood routinely does it with Italians is shameful.

Rant over.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Some day she could be President.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

My angry drunk Irish heart salutes you, LiT.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My new political motto:

O Palin/O'Donnell Oh-Twelve.

Of course, Palin/O'Donnell Oh-Twelve has the initialism POO, which might be worth something. Or Poo-12.

But I also now see that O Palin/O'Donnell Oh-Twelve is O Poo.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

b-ho,
I just gotta see that movie.

-Yello Daffodil-11 Jkt
(I so rarely use my full official name)

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Conversation with Son of G yesterday:

Me: Do you remember the time your dad milked a goat?

SoG: Mom... we've done so many cool things on our trips, I can't remember all of them.

Me: Then you don't remember?

SoG: Well... maybe I've blocked it out. It does sound pretty gross.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 21, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Margaux Hemingway said she got her name because she was conceived after her parents consumed a bottle of Margaux. Well, and something else after that. I wonder if there's a similar story with Ms. Sawyer.

Posted by: -pj- | September 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Clapping, LiT. And, redheads do not have fire-y tempers; if I had a nickel, well, I would be treating you to bagna cauda in the old country.

Frosti -- warming up for 15/week eats. Thinking how these dishes work well:

rata-tata-too-ey with donated zucchini

scrambled eggs stretched with low fat cottage cheese (very filling, even for CPBoy, who adores breakfast for dinner)

bratwurst (two for price of one) in crockpot with red potatoes, onions, and later corn cobs and at the end a bit of shrimpie (very, very, very cheapie last week)

chicken tenderloins cooked in green enchilada sauce and stretched with white canneloni beans...served over rice and on day two, put in to enchiladas, dressed with a bit of yogurt and mozzarella cheese....

Ok, what other yummy-stretchy meals doose-yoouse-guys-do?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, CqP, you better restrain that fiery temper of yours before LiT gets some of her relative to come break yer kneecaps.

I suppose I should be damned glad my name isn't Pabst Blue Ribbon [Curmudgeon].

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yello: you gotta be in the right mood for that movie. It is pretty stupid and jarring. I had to grow on me.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Yello: you gotta be in the right mood for that movie. It is pretty stupid and jarring. It had to grow on me.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd jump in here and complain about the stereotypes of male engineers. Alas, they are all true.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I am sad to report, Mudge, that the IRA was quite expert at kneecapping, including with an electric drill.

These days are more past that present, for which we can all be grateful.

Upon your suggestion, I watched Once. Wow. And, shows the side of Dublin that did not leap forward with the Celtic Tiger biz....and I loved the ending. Real rather than Hollywoody.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

But all men of Italian heritage are romantic smooth talkers and stuff. Right?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'll be doing the 15, but will suggest kluski.

Grate a potato or more into that very fine sludge. Add a little salt and pepper. Add enough flour to make a dough that is firm enough to hold together in the next step.

Put some of the dough on a small plate. Draw it out to the edge with a butter knife and cut off in small chunks above a pot of rapidly boiling water. Think large spaetzle. Boil until done, they usually float to the top. Drain, place in bowl. Add butter, s&p and cottage cheese to taste.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 21, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'll be doing the 15, but will suggest kluski.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 21, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

RD, you, dear man, are a most excellent data point. What care we for causality and linear regression, when we have a sterling data point, as if a very Jovian body in the heavens of courtly courtesy so often told of the Italic-types.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

For my next recipe, Shredded Moveable Type au Gratin.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 21, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Geez, I went off there, didn't I? Sorry. Sometimes I can just lose it, huh? Again, sorry. But I've calmed down (read: had a glass of wine) and am about to go take someone's money playing pool, so I'm better now. And RD, smooth doesn't begin to cover it.

And Mudge, you know I love you dearly when I say eff you. ;)

Have a happy night all.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

dbG -- sounds a bit like the Lithuanian treat of Zeppalina:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Hello everybody
Congrats on the tiara bc,it was a strange week.
I had a day off today and my friend came over to clean the carpets.He owns a carpet cleaning business,well several.And since he was doing it for free,I was obligated to move all the furniture and carry the water.Well cleaning carpets is a hard job.It took several hours and I was beat afterwards.Then came time for cutting the grass.Now I usually cur my lawn and a neighbors who pays me well.But the lawn in between the 2 needed cutting too and the lawn on the other side was in desperate need too.Plus the lady who lives there is kinda cute so I cut hers too.Then after being done and cleaning up,the other neighbor asked me if I could put together a old tyme mower for her.I did it was pretty easy,but it didn't cut worth a crap.So I offered to cut her lawn with my mower.So that was 5 lawns in a row in 3 hours.As I am finishing the sweeping ,my next door neighbor says (what about me).So six lawns done.I never want to see a blade of grass again. At least not till next week or so.

I have been checking out Jupiter for a while now,but will look for the moons tonight.

But now all the furniture needs to go back in place.

Tomorrow's day off will be spent relaxing somewhere.

Oh and a nice rant LiT
Una buona via
addio

Posted by: greenwithenvy | September 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

CqP-I found my idea of what constituted a "serving" of meat changed in my first $15 week. I'm glad to say it was a permanent change. Meat as condiment.

I will probably catch a fish or two that week, or at least try to. My artisan bread costs $0.90 a loaf to make so I may splurge and do 2 loaves. Have a black bean soup recipe that can be done with just half a link of good sausage from the farmers market-will cover several meals. Then the other half link can go in an egg skillet thing. It would be nice to find a couple new things to try. Last year I discovered I love roast beets and a butternut squash baked spaghetti dish. Alas, salad won't be as plentiful as lettuce is long gone from the garden while last year it was free all week.

Gingersnap recipe to follow soon as I decipher notes from yesterday's experiment.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Looks delish, cqp, but the kluski is less work :)

The dough should be about the firmness of biscuit dough.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 21, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

.....'Rant over'. [re: Italian stereotypes]
Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2010 4:19 PM
___________

This French Huguenot, German Jewish, Creek and Cherokee aborigine, Scotch, Celtic woman echoes your rant. Born in the hills of north Georgia, to boot.

I don't want to hear about crackers or hillbillies or rednecks. I'm not tired of moonshine or foxfire, though.

*tiny rant over*

Posted by: talitha1 | September 21, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Personally I worry about raising well-adjusted children. They go on to lead well-adjusted, undistinguished lives. A bit of childhood trauma to overcome seems to produce more over-achievers. Since I plan to retire on my daughter's income, I need an over-achiever.

But there is trauma and unforgivable abuse. I recall our crosstown rival HS had a girl of the Dicks family on their swim team. They had the gall to name her Vonda.

Posted by: j3hess | September 21, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

One thing I love to do when I get down in the dumps regarding a hot-button social issue (just about any is applicable).

I think about my grandparents and my spouses grandparents. Lovely people. I think about their positions on social issues.

I then think about the children of my generation (anyone under about 20 will do). Lovely people. I think about THEIR positions on social issues.

At that time I usually don't feel down in the dumps any more.

Momentum.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

j3hess... we used what we call the "Supreme Court Justice..." method of naming our children.

Supreme Court Justice Summer Bubbles LaRue? I don't think so.

Posted by: -TBG- | September 21, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I love the act of naming one's children. Many seem to use the "Supreme Court Justice" method. My college roommates have three children, all male. Their names are Reed, Trevor and Gavin. You'da thought I went to Oxford.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

NukeSpawn's name isn't uncommon, but the spelling is...

No, it's not spelled "Luxury Yacht," but the spelling is due to a very famous actress.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the 'Skins cut Larry Johnson.

Color me completely blase.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 21, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Laughing, LiT. You know I only did it to set you off.

New "Glee" in 22 minutes. I'm looking forward to their "Empire State of Mind," though I don't know if it's in this episode or not.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | September 21, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

We can all think of the names our parents considered but rejected. I could have been

Mary Philomena Carmel

TRULY.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you CP! You are, as always, very kind.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Two great rants here recently, Mudge's pundit rant yesterday and LiT's Italian rant today. Thanks to you both!

Posted by: -pj- | September 21, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

CQP: I worked with a lass named Philomena. She went by the full name, too. A rare combination of being smart, tough as nails and very very cute. Most of the guys in her office (I was not in the same one) were powerless near her.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

We gave our two children the masculine and feminine versions of the same middle name. That's about as much cuteness as I could handle.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Our first child is named after the bar where dmdspouse and I had our first date, second child is named for the season she was born in - the therapist fund started early :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | September 21, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I've got masala mix in the freezer (sauteed onions, garlic, ginger, chillies + salt and turmeric, cumin, coriander, red chili powder) in ziplock bags. I break off ~3/4 tsp per serving and add it to cooked/canned lentils and garnish with tomatoes for ~fresh lentil soup(?) a few times a week.
I'm not sure how to calculate price of the masala mix; maybe 1 large onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 inch piece ginger for the week? Hm.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | September 21, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Most excellent Jupiter viewing right now. Even with my cheapo binocs I could see three of the four. Io and Callisto for sure, and either Ganymede or Europa. At first I wasn't sure I was seeing anything but background stars, but then I checked this website:

Tthe moons were exactly where they were supposed to be.

Which is always comforting.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 21, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

We dusted off the telescope and could see four moons - very exciting!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

DNAGirl fax me some; rhubarb sauce in return.

CPDot1's name occurred to us simultaneously, when we read it off a gravestone. A snake passed by in the grass, too. Seemed portentous. Never argue with those signs.

CPDot2's name honors my gr.aunt who was the teeny tiny baby of her generation. She lived around the corner from a house that Martha Jane Burke (Calamity Jane) lived in, in Belle Fourche, SD. Said gr.aunt LOVED the bikers who arrived to the Deadwood, Lead, Rapid City area each year.

CPBoy's name is an odd one but we are entitled to this: last name of my grmother, who was the youngest of 11, mostly girls. Last names tend to disappear when scads o' gells appear in family trees. The nickname, though is common enough and easy to spell and pronounce. Ivansmon knows the simple and earnest utility of this name. Nothing like Brace, Logan, Cartwright, Trevor....

CPBOy's nordie relies offered two names in total seriousness: the God of Thunder and the Wise One. Look 'em up. I kid you not.

Said no, politely, punting those names off to Ragnarok where they belong. Not that there is anything wrong with such epic names.

Besides, I hope someday to marry children into TBG's tribe. I want an Aristotle, Homer, Bacus, Aphrodite, Danae, Thisbe -- grandprogeny.

Wow, baldo -- a real Philomena! My gr. grand on another side of the fam was named that in her middle name. The Italian version is more likely to be Filomena.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Filomena is also a restaurant in Georgetown that holds fond memories for me of meals with dear friends. About time for another one, I think.

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd say you're feeling no pain.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hi boodle!

This New York commute is killin me but I love the people. The pizza's great, too.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Naming children is such a fraught exercise. I was named for my grandmothers and always liked that. Much as I loved my mother and my mother-in-law, I could not name either of my children Esther or Gertrude. Elderdottir is named for my favorite queen and an old friend, Geekdottir is named for my aunt, who was a lovely person. All good old names.

My father's middle name was Leonidas. It was his father's boss's name. It carried through four generations.

Posted by: slyness | September 21, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

How do you do, my name ain't sue.

Maybe it's not so much italian or any folks that are on the minds of Hollywood writers and producers more than any others, just money, money, and mo' money (y'all know that evil capitalism, Actungimeanyjihad says is destroying the world) but, POO, now that is really an acronym isn't it? Sounds and looks like what it is, it has it's uses, and only the extremely squimish can't touch it with a ten foot pole, the rest find it quite useful for throwing at others who don't conform to their particular twists and turns.

Posted by: RichNomore | September 21, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, I think you should move to the DC area.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

My mother's name was Gertrude but everyone called her Peg(gy). I was named for my father's mother (thank heavens I wasn't named for my mother's mother - Bessie!). My daughters don't have family names, theirs were more or less picked out of a hat. Altho' older daughter's name was the name of one of RFK's daughters and my dad was none too fond of it - too weird at the time (not now).

How many people, especially women, end up not liking their names once they're grown up - or even before that? I've never been crazy about mine but too late now!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

The wife and I eliminated going the grandparent route. The last 4 surviving were Doris Lincoln Barney and Rhoda. The other 4 included Floyd Flora and Fay.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

baldinho, I liked your 7:04 post.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

badsneakers, my name has too many syllables. But I was named for my grandmother and I didn't have the nerve to change it. Yep, too late now.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I've actually investigated that possibility, Windy. Have a couple of job applications out there.

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Um, but I have changed my last name a coupla times... Figures.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, fingers crossed for you!!

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I was born with a very common last name, and my parents decided to give me a very common first name (which was common in my dad's family too), as well as a fairly common middle name. Then they proceeded to call me by my middle name. (They did this to my brother too.) DO NOT DO THIS! I have had to explain this all my life - it makes filling out forms an existential exercise.

My brother finally started using his first name, when he was in college, and my sister (who has always been called by her first name) thinks this is tres weird. I may well have done the same thing, but I don't like my first name that much.

I named my own kid a rather unusual first name, with a "regular" middle name in case his name caused him problems. I had never seen his name much when he was born (1981) - now it's not that unusual, although it's mostly used for girls. As far as I know, he's ok with it.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 21, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I was buying water at a New York City airport and a guy came by asking the price of a pack a cigarettes: $16.00 for one (1) pack!!! Incredible. The small bottle of water, at a mere $2.50 seemed cheap in comparison.

I'm on an unusual boodle roll tonight, I know.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

And it is lovely to see you here, Windy. Set a spell.

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

seasea, I have a good friend whose family has an interesting tradition amongst the males. They all have the same first name, at least the last 4 generations or so. There is only one male in each generation, but they all have the same name. They mostly go by their given middle name.

Different strokes for different folks.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi Windy and Yoki.

Baldo, but FloraFaye is marvelous as is Barney Baldhino!

On to great pet names. The neighbor's full-of-wiles orange marmalade cat is Bob Cat.

I once knew a dog named Trotsky.

And, the golden of a few years back called Reddy Froosevelt.

And, a sled dog named Rosebud.

Cat named Claude de Pussy

Cat, Clawdius

Cat, Willow Comma Pussy

Turtle, Percy B. Shelly

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | September 21, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi Seasea! Very uncommon post.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Windy, Yoki. And besides, living here would facilitate the invasion so much more easily.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | September 21, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Cqp! Love the pet names.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I may eventually move back too once the economy improves since my younger son is headed back to follow a political career. But it's so expensive now.

Posted by: Windy3 | September 21, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Windy, could I have a few of your syllables, my main objection to my name is the lack thereof ;-)

Posted by: badsneakers | September 21, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Jupiter is in opposition today, but I can't pin down when perihelion was/is. 2006? That would be the time for the aliens to launch, if I understand correctly.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 21, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 21, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Jupiter closest approach was about 4:00AM EDT on Sep 21 (this morning). Opposition is about 10:30PM EDT on Sep 21 -- pretty much RIGHT NOW. WOOT!

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

The next Jupiter perihelion will be 18 Mar 2011 (my father's birthday!) at 1:30 AM EST.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Wesley, who took the Jupiter picture that is on the page linked by Jumper, is an Australian amateur astronomer (his day job is computer software). He discovered the Jupiter impact last year and was one of the co-observers of the first of the two smaller impacts that were observed this year. He appears to be a fine fellow.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 21, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Not that expensive south and southeast of town, Windy, if you're willing to live 20+ miles/45 min. to an hour out.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | September 21, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the premier of Detroit 1-8-7? I can't believe I'm letting myself get interested. Glee is all I have time for this time of year.

My name is used for both boys and girls, though more often boys. Frostsis #1 has a boy/girl name as well and her husband's name is the same as mine. Causes some confusion when the extended family is together. There was a time I wanted to be named Clare, primarily because St. Clare of Assisi is the patron saint of television. Taking her name as my confirmation name, before I became an apatheticist, satisfied that urge to some extent. The frostrents refused to call me Clare so it wasn't as satisfying as it could have been. That's my therapy story. That, and being asked "where's the pluses?" when I brought home a straight A report card.

Yoki, you are too kind. Good luck with the DC prospects. You'll be the object of my most ardent frenvy if you land a situation there.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 21, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

How exciting is it that the NHL pre-season opened today? Very!

Posted by: Yoki | September 21, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Dang! Jon Stewart just ripped Obama up one side and down the other. Whoo~wipe my brow.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 21, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Pet names .....

My favorites were my grandfather's three huntin' hounds ----
'Useless', 'Reckless', and 'Worthless'.

They were terrific dogs and wonderful in the field or for treeing prey ..... it was also a lot of fun to call them to dinner.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 21, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I have a friend who named each of her three boys after their father, William.

David William
Richard William
George William

Posted by: nellie4 | September 21, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

And I had a long haired cat named Christofur -- the only "good" name I ever thought of for a pet.

Posted by: nellie4 | September 21, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Uh, guys. We are on the blog of a guy who named one of his daughters after a hotel in France.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 21, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

LiT, thanks for your 4:19 PM, from the bottom of my Italian-American heart. I could feel your words. (And I liked the bit about the acid.)

Caught a bit of the Jovian show again tonight-- still good viewing, with the moons clearly visible using minor magnification.

Ah, off to bed before I turn into a pumpkin.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 21, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

nellie, I know a family with six sons and, apparently, no imagination ---

Charles Lawrence
James Lawrence
Robert Lawrence
George Lawrence
David Lawrence
Henry Lawrence

Ya just gotta wonder .....

Posted by: talitha1 | September 22, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Probably should have pointed out that Lawrence is each of their middle names. Their surname shall remain nameless. ;-)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 22, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Just call me ...

Posted by: talitha1 | September 22, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Hah! Talitha. I think #2 owes her life to that album. I birthed her to Graceland. Only 55 hours of labour and no drugs. Music has wonders. Or at least, my relationship with music makes wonders.

Posted by: Yoki | September 22, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

James Bond was based on a real life Dutch agent. Interesting. All the while, like everyone else, I thought he was English.

Posted by: rainforest1 | September 22, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

I still haven't seen any Jovian moons. Between my eyes and the HoCo light pollution, I think I'm out of luck. I dragged out the tripod and this is the best I could get of Jupiter:

But Monday night I did get this fairly clear shot of the Moon using just my monopod.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

So with all this attention on Jupiter, has anyone spotted Will or Dr. Smith or Penny??

Oh, wait...

*still-not-tired-of-this-stretch-of-weather-whilst-dashing-off-to-yet-another-meeting Grover waves*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 22, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all. Hi rainforest! Cassandra, I hope you feel well today.

Today is the day the summer silk flowers get put away, and the fall silk leaves come out. I think I'll also get out Geekdottir's clay ghost and jack o'lantern (with its tongue sticking out) for the dining room table.

Instead of biscuits this morning, we'll have hearty steel-cut oatmeal and yoghurt with fruit of your choice, in anticipation of MsJS arriving with muffins.

Posted by: slyness | September 22, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Here we are again at dark o' thirty and dark o'clock.

In addition to dark, it has also been cold. 'They' are saying it will warm up, though I feel strongly that without adding a time frame to the term 'warm up' they are misleading us.

It has been cloudy overnight this week,so no star gazing for us. Sigh.

Posted by: --dr-- | September 22, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Here is the video that Kathleen Parker was raving about this mourning, er, morning:

See if you can count the dog whistles.

Fred Davis, the director of the ad, is also the object of huge three page puff piece in the style section.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Rainforest, there have been a lot of people suggested as the model for James Bond -- see this extensive Wikipedia account: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspirations_for_James_Bond

That this new book names yet another one hardly means anything. Yes, this one Dutch agent came ashore in a tux in 1940. But Bond was pretty clearly an amalgam of more than half a dozen people. This just adds one more. Not nearly as big a deal as would first seem.

Only five question heds today, plus one right at the fold asking if perhaps Jon Stewart isn't really a comedian after all but a serious person. Sweet Georgia Brown, is there nothing that will stop these people? Your take? Oh, and the Post wants to know who you want to nominate for Larry Summers job, because, you, know, you guys know all about who is currently available and you have the resumes of all the top economists at your fingertips. So, uh, get on that, will you? Obama wants the short list on his desk by COB. More importantly, the Post also asks how Bristol Palin survived Dancing with the Whoever she was dancing with. Because the fate of the nation hangs upon your answer to this burning question.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Best excerpt from spam I've received lately:

"Within this period, I have watched with meticulous precision how heads of states and government functionaries from all over the world have been using our company to move huge sums of money in USD ($), Pound Sterling, French Francs etc all in Cash to their foreign partners."

Yup, moving around those French Francs is a very important function. That and Confederate Dollars.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but it just seems like something the boodle might enjoy.

Guy runs taste test of borscht served in his Brooklyn neighborhood and compares each sampling to a Neil Young album...

Posted by: -TBG- | September 22, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Morning everybody. This was all over the local news yesterday, apparently the only public funds used were for the printing:

Posted by: badsneakers | September 22, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

SERENITY NOW!!!

Posted by: -TBG- | September 22, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.

The WaPo headlines aren't keeping up with the photos, so the pic of Bristol Palin dancing in a little red dress with her hand behind her head has "GOP Ad Wizard Spins Tempting Tale." Is someone from WaPo going to have to go onto Letterman to apologize?

About C. O'Donnell....I can't help but wonder...the kid she had the picnic on the satanic altar with...did that relationship go nowhere because she was too far outside the mainstream for him?

YJ...they're moving cash? Like in a Brinks truck? To each other? Repeatedly? Why? Does the money needs a vacation? Is there some sort of mileage reward program?

Wishing all a happy day.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 22, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I prefer this version: Serenity NOW, dammit!

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The nice young man just told me that my mileage maintenance is done, and my four new tires will cost me $620. Oy. But, at least I'll have my prepaid auto detailing now, so my car will be nice and shiny, inside and out.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Tim, I had come up with "Serenity now, dammit!" too. Great minds think alime...or warped minds. Or whatever.

We have friends who as we speak are on a cruise from Montreal to Nova Scotia (and I think ending in Boston). Hurricane Igor, which side-swiped Bermuda, is up yonder right now. Their ship had to forego a call at a town called Sydney, and is currently in the North Umberland Strait between Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Yesterday the winds were 80 mph and rough seas (18-foot waves crashing into side of ship), and the crew were handing out meclazine like candy. The wind and seas have moderated overnight and much better now. They will reach Halifax today.

Just seems unusual, because we just don't think about hurricanes ravaging that part of the world, but of course they do, once in a while.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I can't help thinking that Christine O'Donnell's "dabbling" in witchcraft is similar to my dabbling in Christianity by listening repeatedly to "Jesus Christ, Superstar" in high school. I think she was making a silly attempt to earn some street cred from Bill Maher and his audience as someone who had Lived Large and who Knows the Dark Side of Life. Among various stupid and crazy things she has said, that one doesn't matter much to me. I'm much more concerned about the essential stupidity of her views on "self-fulfillment", which are not terribly relevant, but are a good sign of the depth of her thinking. I'm also not thrilled by the idea of a Senator who is a personally bankrupt liar whose lies are easy to catch, who can't hold a real job, and who runs on a platform of honesty and fiscal responsibility.

Also, exactly WHY was she on Maher's show 11 years ago? She would have been in her early 20's then -- what was it that made her a national figure who supposedly had something to offer the world?

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Slyness, it has been a busy morning, and I'm tired already. The g-girl was in a fight this morning on the bus. Some little girl at the school has already labeled her as the one to beat up on. Teacher had to move another little girl because she was playing the bully with the g-girl. Apparently the g-girl had her fill of the mess, and drew blood. Alas, to the principal office and mom on the scene. She can't ride the bus home today so grandma got pick up duty, along with the rest of the schedule.

Have a wonderful day, folks, and love to all. It is so warm here.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Tim, Maher had her on his show no less than 22 times. He used her as a sort of "house" conservative, and to make fun of her. She filled out the panel, and was cute and giggly and clearly wacko, and he just let her blithely dither away, because everything she said was absurd. I still can't figure out if it was cruel in a funny way, or funny in a cruel way.

I agree the witchcraft thing is utterly stupid, especially since she was so ditzy she inadvertently stumbled into it (I mean we all just stumble into stanaic rituals when we're in high school and out on a date, right?). What struck me about the whole was not that she's a witch but that she's a complete airhead. And not only is she an airhead, she's dumb enough to happily tell Bill Maher all about it on national television.

But he mainly had her on the show as the house wacko, as the "Christian activist" who would ramble on about the sins of m@sturb@tion. Maqher bragged the other day that he "made" CD, and it's true: he's the one who put her on the map 12 years ago.

Her campaign manager a few years ago called her a "complete fraud"-- but she's like Palin and Beck and the others: she has discovered one can make a career out of being a TV celebrity rightwinger. Basically, it is simple good, old-fashioned niche marketing. Like Limbaugh, you don't have to appeal to ALL of America. You can become a millionaire by appealing to only 20 percent of it. It doesn't matter a damn what the other 80 percent think.

Textbook niche marketing.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Crap. New kit. And mudged myself, of course.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 22, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

Posted by: ftb3 | September 22, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

That's my kind of cruise Mudge, walking the passageways with one foot on the deck and one on the bulkhead. Sick bay must have been busy.

Sidney NS has very picturesque tar ponds but one should refrain from drinking their water.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the hurricanes to venture up there periodically, although they usually are tropical storms by then. In-laws summer on the southern tip of NS, and have lived through the remnants of many storms. Newfoundland has been warned for days about the torrential rains on there way to parts of the island.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

O'Donnell seems to have been a regular on Bill Maher's show as a pro-abstinence advocate where he would regularly pair her off against pro-promiscuity guests.

I've got tickets to see Bill Maher live at Baltimore's Hippodrome in November, just a few weeks after the election. I'm sure he will have something to say about her.

The more you look into Christine O'Donnell, the more frightening she gets. She has essentially been a professional candidate for over a decade.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Why tip-toe through the POO when you could be soaring with PRO?

Posted by: RichNomore | September 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse