Turning the page

Not exactly a battle cry, not exactly "Mission Accomplished," but what President Obama said last night about the Iraq War seemed politically nuanced and appropriately laudatory of the efforts of the troops and the sacrifice of those who didn't come back. It might have had a few too many moving parts (I'm not sure that he needed as much on the domestic economic situation), but on the whole he hit the right notes.

But I'm sure some people will say that, if you read between the lines, you can hear him praising Allah.

Search for secret anagrams for "Bill Ayers."

He SAYS his grandpa served in World War II. But for which side????? Clearly we need to ask the hard questions.

And those framed pictures of his wife and kids, visible behind him as he spoke: Were those hastily-assembled by the media team at the last moment? Normally he has a framed picture of Fidel, what do you bet.

Not visible due to camera angle: Iconic poster of Che Guevara.

And the hookah.

Desperate final memo from White House image team: "Keep the lava lamp out of the shot!"

Some Wednesday morning reading:

Stuever, in Shales mode, on Obama's Oval Office address.

Kathleen Parker, nailing Glenn Beck.

Most fascinating story in the paper by my pod-mates Kaufman and Fahrenthold. NASA helping on Chilean miner case. Lessons from the Shackelton expedition, etc. I liked the part at the end where the cat says that, when he's back from Antarctica, he doesn't drive for a week because there's just too much going on. Yeah: One day you're at McMurdo station with nothing but ice, the next you're trying to figure out how to drive through Dupont Circle. I hear ya.

Perfect marriage of writer and subject matter, but, unfortunately, a subscription is required: John McPhee in the New Yorker writing about the Old Course at St. Andrews. (You know I TOOK the Old Course from McPhee, back in the day...)

By Joel Achenbach  |  September 1, 2010; 7:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Competitive Vacation Review
Next: Men behaving badly

Comments

Don't buy Chinese farm raised Shrimp.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 1, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Responding to your mudged comment, Weed: I hope and pray that you are right about the difficulty in repealing healthcare policy reform.

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I agree that the economic bit seemed sort of a non-sequitor, but it probably made sense as a way of changing the conversation back to domestic matters.

When I read that Stuever piece I kept thinking of Shales too. Not that there is any imitation of style, just that Hank really came across with the same confidence and humorous tone.

And I think Hank's "West Wing" reference was very telling. There's a bit on the show where President Bartlett is told that there is no such thing as appearing too smart. I think Hank is pointing out that this might not necessarily be true. By being too erudite and, as Joel says, including so many moving parts, Obama risks alienating those with an intellectual chip on their shoulder. You know, the kind of people who buy "my kid beat up your honor student" bumper-stickers.

And, unfortunately, such people vote for people who make them feel comfy, not those who make the best arguments. But it is probably a moot point. They are a lost cause anyway. When you go read some of the critics of Obama, they seem to have written their criticisms without even watching the speech. The nuances of Obama are lost on them.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh my. Double snaps to Ms. Parker. I do believe she's got it.

And I like that article about the miners. Yep. The dangers of sensory deprivation and isolation are known to many. Just talk to anyone who works in a pod.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Kathleen Parker's piece wasn't as clear to me as it might have been. I guess it could have been my terrible reading comprehension talents.

I think that Beck's failures are two, he himself is a man of very few morals and, two, he only exists to serve Glenn Beck.

If you can only manage to be clownishly religion-ee, then you probably shouldn't be throwing stones at the President's own private and personal religious practices.

BTW, Orin Hatch has publicly come out in support of the Park51 project (on local FOX station, no less) for precisely the right Constitutional reasons.

God bless him for simple respect for the rights of common Americans of every stripe.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 1, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Alas, Parker "nailing" Glenn Beck was only a metaphor, more's the pity. The pen might be mightier than the sword, but what she needs is a really good construction-grade pneumatic nail gun, say, 16-penny capacity, belt- or clip-fed, a real 2x4 stud-walloper.

I did a quick count of the letters used in Obama's speech, based on the transcript; the least used letter from those contained in "Bill Ayers" was the "y," at 166. So that speech contained enough letters to spell out "Bill Ayers" an incredible 166 times. Lest you dismiss this clear indication of the secret message Obama was trying to convey, consider this: 666 may be the Number of the Beast, but its nicknumber is 166 (although sometimes its streetname is just "Six"). 166 was EXACTLY the number of Y's in that speech. Think about it.

The hard data:
B = 170
i = 870
l (need two of each) = 395 = 197.5 uses
A = 1,007
y = 166
e = 1,429
r = 895
s = 805

Let's see the DNC dispute that!! Hah!

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know till last night that Glenn Beck is Mormon. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but once the Evangelicals figure it out, they'll desert him in droves.

Just sayin'

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I keep hearing that Glenn Beck is a Mormon, and I keep thinking that there are too many "m"s in that word.

Posted by: GomerGross | September 1, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

As magic underwear-wearing Mormons Beck and Romney should certainly join Hatch in their support of the Burlington Coat Factory mosque. Not sure we'll see that even if religious freedom should be an important constitutional guarantee for those guys.
Toles called Beck a charlatan in his cartoon&comment yesterday. I think this is the most fitting description of Beck I have read yet.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Obama care cannot be repealed, because it would need Obama's signature on it. I think the odds of Obama signing the bill to repeal are approximately zero point zero zero to the 166th power. The odds of the senate overriding his veto are approximately zero point zero zero to the 166th power, since they need a 2/3 vote in BOTH houses. The Dems might lose one or both houses -- but the GOP ain't ever gonna get 67 percent of either one.

But no one ever said Republicans know how to count, or rein in their m@sturb2tory political fantasies.

In any event, with the current 60-percent rule still in effect, repeal STILL wouldn't even pass. Why the GOP thinks it can overcome the kind of gridlock it creates itself is a total mystery to me. It's like they think they have magic underwear or something, that repells bullets. It's magical thinking brought to previously unheard of new heights.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I've seen a lot of commentary that is terribly offended by Obama being insufficiently stirring in his speech last night (which I, uh, forgot to view), most of it from the sort of people who would respond to a stirring speech by sneering at "mere" rhetoric. That is, they are disappointed that he didn't give them more opportunities to be snarky. Others, like Richard Cohen, seem to be in the mode of perennial disgust that Obama is not living up to his/their high standards. Get over yourself, Richard (far be it from me to presume to call him "Dick") -- he's the one who got elected to be President, not you, so I suggest you show a little modesty in your self-regard for the obvious rightness of your own ideas and the superiority of your verbal expression. Cohen may be right, Obama may be wrong, but Cohen needs to work from a more thoughtfully considered and intellectually respectful stance.

I cannot comment on the substance of the specific speech, because I haven't yet seen it. However, in general, it seems to me that Obama is continuing the process of serious effort at actual governance, doing what is needed for the long-term health of the country, rather than what will automatically lead to short-term gains for his party. Governance means making choices that disappoint someone every time, and it means dealing with a wide array of issues all at once, all of which are devastatingly important. It isn't fun, it isn't sexy, and it doesn't deliver a satisfying "Scr3w you!" to The Other Guys. I remain convinced that Barack Obama will be a one-term President, because the reason we have consistently deferred doing all these necessary things is that nobody likes taking their medicine. I believe Obama is playing the long game -- taking tactical defeat for his party in the short term (i.e., a loss this year, and losing the Presidency in 2012), in favor of strategic success for the nation in the long term and, maybe, success for his party if the voters are perspicacious enough to see which party pursued the policies that create long term success. But that is probably hoping for too much.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

'Mudge, there's a certain, um... "device" used by Terry Crews in "The Expendables" that might serve as a better metaphor for what Ms. Parker just did to Mr. Beck. Woudl you agree, bc?

slyness, FWIW a Google search on "Glenn Beck conversion to Mormonism" will return several items.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

You guys haven't been following the "On Faith" sections commentary on Beck and Mormonism:

and

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I cannot comment on the speech I did not see it, but I do like the redecoration of the Oval office, the rug is great with the quotes encircling it. Curtains need to be changed to something a little less formal in keeping with the rest of the room IMHO. Disclaimer I am not big on curtains, I like the light to come through windows.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I missed the speech - I was singing - but I'm grateful to Mudge for his keen analysis. It is good to know the current magic number. If one only looks I'm sure we can find 166 everywhere.

ScienceTim's criticism of Cohen strikes a chord with me. Here in Red State Central the Democratic nominees tend to be determinedly, if not aggressively, centrist. There is a wing of OK Democrats who constantly carp and complain about the nominees because they aren't liberal enough. My response is always, this is your nominee - shut up and vote for him or her. If you don't, I guarantee you won't like the winner. If the state Democrats could stop snarking long enough to unify, we'd keep the Governor's seat and possibly take back part of the Legislature.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh - I was mudged. From the last Boodle:

Howdy. Cassandra, best thoughts for your friend, and I hope you are feeling better than you did yesterday. I can't understand RichNoMore either, except that he seems unhappy and afraid, and that fear is getting in the way of what may be some decent human feeling. Don't worry about changing the world. You change the world one person at a time, one child at a time, and in doing so you are the model for people like me. I used to plan to do great things. As I grow older I realize there is little sense in passing up the chance to do good work on a small scale, just because it doesn't affect hundreds or thousands of people or get in the news. It is sometimes embarrassing to think just how much common sense and understanding I acquire as I age; it makes me wonder how I got by without it all those years - and what I'm still lacking now that I'll figure out five or ten years from now.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Gotta say that Parker calling Palin "Mother Superior" was just outstanding. Really outstanding.

Don't know the Crews reference, Scotty. Does it have anything to do with extreme proctology?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Crews uses a full-auto shotgun during the climatic battle, 'Mudge.

With little explodey-type shells.

Very loud.

Messy, too.

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I want to see Kathleen Parker, or anybody for that matter, nail Beck. I have enough nightmares about that Paris Hilton video.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Scotty, I don't know if you happened to notice that a certain govt. department, formerly ranked next to dead last, is the "most improved," having increased its score by 15 percent -- although it is now 26th out of 32.

Since govt. contractors are normally treated as illegitimate migrant farmer step-children of illegal alien Cherokees during the Andrew Jackson administration, you can well imagine what the general morale might be of contractors working for the 26th-best govt. agency.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I've stayed away from the story of the Chilean miners because the very thought of their plight gives me the horrors. However, I do wish one of the reporters would answer the burning question, "what do they do about sanitation?"

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Why yes, 'Mudge, I had considered just such a situation.

Yoki, I believe the Chilean miners have lots and lots and lots of tunnels available for "storage."

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Mudge wrote: "You guys haven't been following the "On Faith" sections commentary on Beck and Mormonism." I have, along with Parker, etc. I think Gomer's comment (above) about Mormon having one too many "m"s in it says it all for me. Unfortunately, Beck is sly and smarmy, too.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

yoki, I hope that they have some Fabreeze down there.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 1, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I just got a notice from OpenTable that on September 15, 75 DC-area restaurants are offering free dessert with a purchased dinner. If you have a sweet tooth, it might be worth checking out.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, Restaurant Week down here (a couple of weeks ago) is wonderful, too. Great food at half the price sometimes. I have found, though that the decibel number at most restaurants I've frequented lately has been so high that screaming to the person right across from you is a necessity. I don't think it's my exalted age, either, that makes me not hear what people near and dear to me are saying, either.

In the seemingly never-ending birthday celebrations, I went out with a friend whose birthday was last week also to an Indian restaurant, which was quite good, I must say. In a break from my mostly vegetarian diet, I did try the lamb vindaloo, mainly because I do like hot and spicy food. While it was good, the heat was a bit too *meh* for me, which surprised me. There was a condiment which was supposed to be spicy, as well, for which I also had a *meh* response. My friend turned purple, however. I noticed that the menu has a vegetarian dish "not for the faint-hearted" which I intend to try next time. A good time was had by both, actually, and the restaurant deserves a return visit, methinks. For those local boodlers, it's Indique Heights at the corner of Wisconsin and Western at the District line.

Posted by: ftb3 | September 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Ivansmom for the uplift. I despair at times but always continue to chug forward. I guess it's just wanting to do more, and feeling so inadequate(sp) at times. Plus deaf folks are very frustrated people, not excusing it, just saying.

And thank you, Slyness.

Getting ready for the Bible study here, will keep all of you and your families in my prayers as always.

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for link, yellojkt, end of yesterthread. Funny how in seven years there has never been an occupation, it has always been "war."

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Beck is really a Mormon-he's not nice enough, so if he claims to be one it must be some perverted form. I mean every Mormon I've ever known well, like the ones I worked with in Hawaii who not only protected me from potentially violent students (pull out a gun at a fast food restaurant violent) but helped me stay sane, is far nicer and a better contributor to the social good than Beck can ever hope to be.
So for me the question, that some have asked, about whether or not he can be a Mormon and a real Christian is moot. I suspect he's not a real Mormon.

Howdy boodle!

Posted by: frostbitten1 | September 1, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Jumper,
I think it's just important to remember that that was a trillion dollars we could have spent a lot more wisely.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Today's lesson in Bawlamerese:
earl: lubricant
Hurricane Earl: beer (makes the hurricanes easier to handle)

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Just general FYI, George Clooney is about to direct and to cast Chris Pine, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti in a political thriller called "Farragut North," which was a stage play several years ago. It is about the media team advising a presidential candidate. I mention it only because Farragut North is the name of the metro subway station closest to where McCormick & Schmicks, a den of inquity frequented by certain BPHers, is located. (One could also say Farragut North is basically synonymous with or similar to "K Street corridor," the main hang-out of lobbyists and media consultant types in our fair burg.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The nation's space agency was ranked as 5th-best large agency, after the Smithsonian but ahead of the Department of Justice. So, y'know, we got that going for us. On the agency-components listing, Maryland's own Goddard Space Flight Center was the top-ranked element for NASA, whereas the bottom-ranked was the San Francisco Bay-area Ames Research Center. Next-lowest? NASA Headquarters.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd have thought the Hotel Mauna Kea would have been highest-ranked, Tim. What is it, 14,000 feet or something like that?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if somebody has already mentioned it, but this Vanity Fair article on Palin is a doozy. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2010/10/sarah-palin-201010?currentPage=all

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmerians who are "down-e-oshun" (visiting Ocean City and environs) are probably flee back to Charm City in droves to escape Earl. Are "dem Os" playing in "Kemden Yard" this week?

Farragut North was my subway stop for a couple of years when I worked at 1801 L St.
I remember it all too well and not fondly.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Does Farragut North station has one of those 1000ft long escalator set at a 65 degree angle? Cripes, those things feel unsafe.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If Beck-skewering is a competitive sport, this guy's in the finals for sure-

Posted by: kguy1 | September 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Possible shots fired and a hostage situation under way at the Discovery headquarters in Silver Spring. Story still unfolding.

Posted by: ebtnut | September 1, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Yoki! That is some article.

*might give me nightmares . . . .*

Posted by: ftb3 | September 1, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't a bad piece, kguy, but I think his premise had a fundamental flaw in it. He tends to link adoration of Beck with the general downward trend in American education -- that we aren't teaching young people, and that they are ignorant of this or that (not like us old folks). But the problem is, charkatans like beck and Palin have followers who tend to skew older, not younger. Worse, the Tea Partiers are -- alas and alack! -- *my generation,* more's the pity.

Further, us old Democrats and liberals got exactly the same schooling as the old Conserves, TPers, and wingnuts did. And the young across the spectrum are getting the same (poor) education on both sides of the divide. That being so, I don't see how education, per se, nor the "wisdom" of us mature types, comes into play.

I think there IS a very strong correlation with education -- but not age-based or cohort-based or declining-based. But that linkage has existed for decades, long before Beck or Palin, or even Reagan, or whomever.

To some extent, Winship contradicts himself right at the beginning, when he brings up Sinclair lewis's "It Can't Happen Here." The phenomenon Lewis wrote about existed in the 1920s and 1930s, so it isn't new, and contemporary decline in educational and knowledge have nothing to do with it. What Lewis was describing was the rampant populism of his day. But populism has always been "down-market" (as the Brits like to say). What has us all a bit mystified is that same kind of mindless populism still exists in this day and age, as strong as ever.

Once can easily make the case that the quality of education has improved dramatically from 1920 to 1990 -- but there has been no great corresponding improvement in the general commonweal and its political awareness and sensibilities because of it. Which is discouraging and still needs some explaining.

The answer is elusive and keeps dancing around in front of me, and I can't put my finger on it. But I think it has to do with false expectation that "Education" with a capital E has some positive effect upon society. We have expectations about it -- which aren't met. Also, over the past three or four decades, the rise of new media and new technology -- which always sounds so good on paper -- has resulting in a vast democritization of society and increased access -- which also sounds so good on paper. But it simply means we now have a gazillion morons bloviating on every comment section and all over the internet. Turns out the InterTubes may not be what they were cracked up to be. It has simply become a Great Leveler, not a Great Lifter.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, between the Vanity Fair piece on Palin and the TruthOut article my brain in fried for the day. YEOW!

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Any of you ever read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? I had a dream on Saturday night that involved Beck, Palin and co. combined with images from that book. The evangelical, misogynist worldview that I can dismiss logically in daylight reared it's paranoid head in a dream I guess.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

No more late-night Taco Bell for you, talitha.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, talitha -- I read that ages ago, and gave my copy to a friend in Sweden (where I had finished reading it). Saw the movie, too. Didn't get the t-shirt, tho.

Posted by: ftb3 | September 1, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The Handmaid's Tale was made into an opera by Danish composer Poul Ruders. It was actually performed in Minneapolis. If Representative Bachmann knew that, there'd be accusations.

I have enough airline miles to visit the National Wildlife Refuges on Hawaii. The manager is a friend, so I suppose I'd need to expect to do some volunteer work.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Happy accident, sharklatan. (does it need the "s"? I think so) Could work very well in conversation, cause double takes. Huh?

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I think you last point is your best, Mudge. The rise of the internet and Faux News have created a "choose your own truth" atmosphere where demonstrably false statements not only go unchallenged but are repeated and embellished ad nauseum ad infinitum. Those with actual subject matter knowledge are derided as "elites" of one sort or another, and fact based reporting is discounted as biased.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 1, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a follow-up to the story of the woman who died in the chimney, which a friend just sent me. Some of the comments (yeah, you can just imagine...) are pretty funny.

Even possibly dumber: somebody heard someone "quietly" crying for help. But they decided it was coming from some kids at a pool...so they ignored it.

My question: if you thought some kid at a pool needed help, why did you ignore... oh, never mind.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

'Mudge, oddly enough I've never eaten at Taco Bell in my life. See, I happen to really like Mexican food. ;)

I've seen the movie made from Handmaiden's Tale (meh) but didn't know about the opera and don't want the t-shirt. I love Atwood but that book really struck a raw nerve with me. (Small town, southern baptist gender-stereotyping childhood, no doubt - though my parents were educated and enlightened folks compared to many there during the 50s/60s.)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

It surprises me that people are still getting stuck in chimneys and other small spaces. This past weekend, a man died while stuck in a laundry shoot, http://www.kitv.com/r/24824973/detail.html.

I guess getting stuck in small places is lethal.

Posted by: MiddleofthePacific | September 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sarcasm from the chasm-

Bush misjudgments-Obama misjudgments, the War on America, ergo, Capitalism, Western Culture, all the same to US. For seven years all WE heard from the Serial Mal-Practicing Journalists in The Apostate ABMSNBDNCNNBS Government-Media Complex, the Wright Wingless Extreme DoDo Branch of the Democrap Partee' and it's Useless Numbskulls on the HILL was: BUSH! CHENEY! Halliburton! Waste! Un-winnable! Un-sustainable! Un-compassionate! Now WE have the Gumbas without head-sheets cheering and clapping a incredible shrinking president declaring a successful surrender of all ground gained in the volitile middle east, where not only will US Soldiers be in more and more danger, (burdened with a Made in the State Department, Hill-Billy from the Hill, don't fire if fired upon, don't pursue unless ordered to by the Chaos High Command in the Pirate Bunker at Pennsylvania Ave, only fall down when mortally wounded if your unit commander radios an at-ease order), along with any non-Muslim worker, aid provider, woman (Muslim and non-Muslim), but every other good-hearted citizen of that region with a taste of Western Freedom, a short vision of 'what if' there were no Saddam and His Wannabes from the 7th century, and a collectivist-activist coup in the USA. Good f***king job sir, really showed them neo-cons how it should have been done! Wait 'til you see the results of this brilliant (in their own minds) plan/policy/strategy/scheme.

WE don't think WE liked the tone of that Speech. He could have shown US and the World he is bigger than these issues (but then, he clearly chose the hill he's standing at the bottom of), thanking GWB for his compassion for the troops, period? Think the boy just handed the Baggers (now no longer beggars) a gift WE could not have bought with the whole *----* Trillion of stimulus money (where-ever it went). He just shed 50 lbs of gravitas and a Foot and a Half of stature. He's gone in one half-hour from a 500 lbs titan to a skinny little p**ck. He's turned his back on Corporate America (so-called main street) and gone with the 'moderate' imam, who "has deep roots in both worlds" (over there in Jihad, over here in OUR ALREADY PICKED POCKETS) sent on a cultural outreach mission to talk moderate islam talk to imams who have no intention of becoming moderate and are probably laughing their sheets off Wright now that US, led by Schmucks, just paid for imam 'n daisy to party like it was 800 CE in mecca. Maybe this will be remembered as the Administration's Cordoba Moment. Have a nice day and don't worry only a few dozen people will see this post and pretty sure it won't be passed on.

Posted by: RichNomore | September 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, now, don't knock the Bell. As long as there is no excrement in the taco meat, I enjoy the occasional chowdown there.

Posted by: GomerGross | September 1, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, that was an absolutely fascinating article. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Ivansmom | September 1, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

*Sigh*

It is practically treason for a Canadian and a woman to say so, but Atwood is *far* from a favourite author chez Yoki. I loved Survival, liked Alias Grace and The Robber Bride well enough, and understand why The Edible Woman was an important contribution. I have no time for any of the others. In particular I thought The Handmaid's Tale (both book and movie) was just plain bad. I guess something fundamental in her aesthetic mismatches mine. However, I could listen to her talk (in spite of the nasal monotone) forever; witty, allusive, good-hearted, generous to young up-and-comers. All good stuff.

Add me to the list of people who has never darkened the door of a Taco Bell.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

TB is not on my list of fave "restaurants" either -- IIRC, I don't think I've been in one. Yay for that.

There appears to be a skip in the vinyl, as the record keeps repeating, repeating, repeating . . . . .

*snort*

Posted by: ftb3 | September 1, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Gomer. Chow down! But I'd have to drive 35 miles to a T.Bell while within 6 miles there are two chef-owned restaurants serving the real deal. The valley's immigrant population enriches us all in lots of ways and the East Asian and Central and South American restaurants and groceries are just a few of them.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I know a guy who was in the movie of The Handmaid's Tale, but I've never read anything Atwood has written. From his description, I didn't want to.

I used to be fond of the occasional Mexican pizza at Taco Bell. The last time I went through the drive through, though, the clerk shortchanged me. That particular store burned in an early morning fire. It was determined to be arson.

Still waiting on your list of ways you're improving the country, Richnomore. Still waiting!

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

That Sarah Palin article from Vanity Fair is extremely engaging and sorta disturbing. Of course, it is 100% preaching to the choir -- Palin's supporters view all those "facts" and that "reporting" and that so-called "logic" as the work of envious and contemptuous "elites" that are out of touch with the good people of the United States of Murrica and who are just trying to bring down a True American Original.

Before he dies, I hope that McCain comes clean with public remorse about his role in her elevation to the national stage. It probably won't derail her juggernaut of lunacy, but decency demands it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Palin quoted (ironic, to me, as she is their leader) as calling her detractors "storm troopers" leads me to think she knows not the history of what they were, nor what was "the night of the long knives."

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope this doesn't mean I have to go back out into the garage again.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichNomore2

Ignorance is the highest form of blog-flattery.

Posted by: RichNomore | September 1, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I pretty much agree with everything Rev. Wright said. Except the religion part.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Sign, the hostage story following on MSNBC has shifted from the situation within the Discovery Channel building to the misery the commuters are about to face, plus it's hot.
Could lead some more unpleasantness.

Posted by: bh72 | September 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I read The Handmaid's Tale back in 1996, when I was a catalog writer for a major books-on-tape company and we were recording it (I had to read it so I could write the catalog copy for it). Didn't like it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

A Noel Coward, that's what he is. Aaron Sorkin on bennies.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 1, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

RNM,
You found the Enter key once. That's progress.

I worked in a neighborhood where TB was a premium restaurant. Every time they came out with a new 'product', I would fall for the airbrushed poster and try it only to be disappointed. We're taking burritos, taquitos, gorditas, festivas, and all sorts of other mythical Tex-Mex foods. I keep going back to the three pack of supreme tacos (the ones with tomatoes and sour cream). It's not real food, but it's a decent guilty pleasure as long as there is no genuine Mexican food around.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Now finished the Beck article. He, Palin, the Dominionists; I see no difference between them and radical Sharia violent jihadis in belief structures. Both groups funded by powerful secretive multinational industrialist anarcho-plutocrats. Such as the offshore Halliburton, Quayle's Cerberus Capital Management, BP, Bin Laden Construction, Saudis, the old Carlyle Group, Bush family, etc.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I like Margaret Atwood, particularly :The Robber Bride." But "A Handmaid's Tale?" I finally read it two or three years ago when it was discussed a bit on the Boodle. Didn't like it.

Posted by: nellie4 | September 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

RichNoMore, I have abstained from commenting on your posts, but I suppose I owe it to you to explain why: I can't read them. An author must write for his audience, and this audience (me, at least) expects reasonably correct punctuation and capitalization that follows the well-established rules of standard English. It is possible that you have cogent and well-reasoned points to make. So long as you persist in your stream-of-consciousness ranting and strings of semi-coherent rambling nonsense in your writing, I will never know what it is that you are writing, because I cannot paste together any sense from what I see on your page/screen.

I suppose that makes me an elitist. Given my education, place of employee, chosen vocation, and vocabulary, I won't attempt to deny it.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"place of employee?" I might be in the elite, but irony still can rise up to bite me on the backside. Oy.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I too have some difficulty with Atwood, though I thought, like Yoki, Alias Grace and The Robber Bride worth my time.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"That particular store burned in an early morning fire. It was determined to be arson."
Store clerks take note; be very, very careful when you are making change to slyness.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It's the vacations that give your elitism away, Tim, not the vocation.

Posted by: kguy1 | September 1, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Ms. Atwood,

So hot here hard to believe it is Sept. 1, my car stated outside temp as 35c - yikes.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm an unpatriotic Canadian as well regarding Mrs. Atwood; I tired of her quickly. I tried again with her work recently (2-4 years ago?) by reading was was reported a Sci-Fi novel. The title escapes me but humans were bio-engineered into strict vegans that turn blue when sexually aroused and had group sex of some sort. Meh.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

SCC what was reported as...

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, SciTim!

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Same here dmd, 32C/90F in the shade. High school started today in the non-A/C building. Witch no.2 was not pleased.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | September 1, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I am a fan of Atwood's novels either. I do admire her as a person though. The Handmaid's Tale is an awful movie.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Just an observation, but the folks who claim to not like Taco Bell also claim to have never darkened its door. I totally agree that it's as real to Mexican food as McD's is to, um, any food, but don't knock it till you've tried it.

I hate the new item of the week too, yellojkt, but since I was a kid, I've loved a tostada minus the red sauce. So much so that we make them at home now for easy, out-of-the-package meals.

Posted by: GomerGross | September 1, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

*Sigh* I'm going to stop reporting my dreams Atwood and Taco Bell resulting from a Beck and Palin nightmare I had three days ago. sheech! ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

scc: dreams. (period, new sentence)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Aw, Gomer - I never said I didn't like it. I said I had alternatives closer at hand. I just don't eat fast food - any kind - and haven't for years. Elitist, leftie snob that I am.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 1, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

We are lucky school doesn't start until next week, when it will have cooled off.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Talitha; I never claimed not to like it, but I don't keep my sylph-like physique by eating processed food-court food.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Oryx and Crake, shriek.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

youR'eanelitist,ScITiM. MostofUShereAre. RNM is idunnowhat. After two lines I bog down and move on.

Ain't none of us snobs, though. I've had the great pleasure of meeting you and, while an elitist, you are definitely not a snob! (Underline not three or four times, please.)

Posted by: -pj- | September 1, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

No food snob, I do love me some tacos in a crunchy shell. Taco Bell does it all but for the core of the experience: the meatoid substance lurking in the depth. It tastes like dogfood smells.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That hostage taker/possible bomb-carrier at the HQ of the Discovery Channel has been shot and killed. No one else hurt including his 3 hostages. They have his name and photo. He may be Canadian; at least, he gave a Canadian address to the cops.

Some of his ranting:

"MUST broadcast to the world their commitment to save the planet." It lists 11 demands about airing shows that would promote curbing the planet's population growth, finding solutions for global warming and dismantling "the dangerous US world economy."

"All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions," it reads. "In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it."

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | September 1, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Whatdidyathink, that you have a monopoly on crazed gun-wielding obsessives? We have our fair share.

Seriously though, I'm so glad nobody but the cgwo was hurt. Small mercies.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Not that it matters but Post is claiming Mr. Lee was Hawaiian, he had a website registered in BC.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

RichNoMore - I just can't get through your posts. I'm sorry. I tried getting through the Unabomber Manifesto years ago, and I just wasn't up to that, either. I know you put a lot into your writing, but it is difficult for me - and it seems, for others - to read. I made it through more of this one, though. FWIW, I had a tough time with Lewis Carroll, too.

It's sad that the tragic situation at the Discovery Channel offices ended as it did. Sounds like that man needed help, scared a lot of people and put some in jeopardy acting out some of his issues.

I like some of Atwood's work - and note that she has a sequel to "Oryx and Crake" out. Yep, I'll read it at some point.

After I finish all the other stuff I'm reading, and then the new Chris Moore.

Back on-Kit to wrap up - I don't think the President said anything surprising last night. Seems to me that he's saying less and less, knowing that *anything* he says becomes red meat for certain people.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 1, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

>"All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions," it reads.

Just sayin', amidst all the wrong actions and polemics, this is a pretty good point. :)

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with TLC-Discovery halting the "huge families are interesting" crap programming, but Lee was a wacko with a capital WACK. *SIGH*

Velly velly busy day, but I CAN say I got my first birthday present a little early -- the Rush documentary and a Three Stooges box set!!! Woob woob woob woob woob!!!! :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Taco Bell is great when you need a filling meal and no one else is in the car... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 1, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

bc, there may be some truth to the point that Obama should stop playing to that crowd and effectively ignore them. That's what minions are for. Not for him; it's crippling.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Have to put the Vanity Fair article "down."

Wow.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 1, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I think this person really needs to discover Joel and the boodle (myself excluded naturally).

Posted by: dmd3 | September 1, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I really hate having to wait around before I can act, but I have to wait for another hour or two before I can call Singapore, Hong Kong (and possibly Beijing) and, perhaps, Bangalore. I have a Canadian client who needs trademark help in those countries, which means that I need to contact my various associates to get the information and associated fee schedules.

But it's way too early "over there" and I would much rather put my feet up, in order to more easily fall asleep over the paper. Nevertheless, the billable hour calls and that will certainly give me a good night's sleep.

*gonna wait until Friday before shipping the birthday song in Swedish to Snuke*

**gonna make him wait**

Posted by: ftb3 | September 1, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I got through the VF article on Palin. She sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant person. I wasn't a fan before, though, and won't become one.

Mexican for supper at church tonight. My team of buddies did it for Cinco de Mayo and decided to do it again, but this time we got most of the stuff catered from the good Mexican restaurant around the corner. Much easier that way! It was good, if basic: hard and soft taco shells, taco bowls, appropriate fillings. Everyone seemed to enjoy. I am full.

Do I *have* to read the article on Glenn Beck?

Posted by: slyness | September 1, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

You can do better than that, Scotty. I think you mean "freakishly large families of little people who own bakeries" on TLC.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

No argument on any of your points, S'Nuke. Last night they premiered a family with quints, the dad kept complaining about how they were going to get by. And that was in the 5 minutes I watched, rme. One would think having his family filmed would take care of such worries.

Waiting for a few more minutes before washing the super deodorizer off Emma. I think I missed a few places, but so far it smells like every other place is good. If it holds up, I'll let you know the name. It's supposed to take out all kinds of odor--pet accidents, smoke, everything. Not cheap.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing about Palin. I don't care if she is the sweetest most wonderful woman in the world, or is a total female-type canine. I really don't. I just know that her policy positions make my toes curl.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

dbG, the skunk encounter certainly has been a huge ordeal for you and your dogs. I sympathize.

I can't decide whether to read the Palin thing now or wait til my issue comes in the mail. I can probably wait. It's too hot to spend much time in front of the computer anyway. At least when Earl comes, he'll push out this weather and leave us with something a bit more pleasant.

Posted by: badsneakers | September 1, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I see the kit refers to John McPhee writing about the British Open at St. Andrews. I first started reading the New Yorker in college because of Herbert Warren Wind's golf articles. He was a great writer who not only described what happened in a given championship but also described what happened in previous years at that same site where the tournament was held and how the course changed over the years. As a semi-lapsed Presbyterian, I see that aspect of St. Andrews mentioned in the article. I'll have to take a look.

Posted by: -pj- | September 1, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, RD.

Thanks, sneaks. At least if there's a next time, I'm prepared and know what to do. Maybe they're just picking up on it from me, but the dogs are showing a real reluctance to enter the yard after mid-dusk.

Eh, I need to walk with them anyway. Just as well.

Posted by: -dbG- | September 1, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I still think Palin and Beck are being used as targets to distract people from whatever new monstrosities Rove is concocting as we speak.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 1, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I read that McPhee article and almost forgot for a moment that I really despise golf.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

You should read Colm Toibin's novel "Brooklyn," RD. Golf matters. Not to me, though.

Note that our very own CollegequaParkian is a cousin of Colm Toibin. Which gives me a bacon-score of one to an author I deeply admire and appreciate.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

You dislike cow pasture pool that much, RD? Okay, there's a lot of snobbery and sexism and racism in the way it was and is implemented that can't be overlooked, but I do enjoy the sport itself. Just a group of individuals playing the course, then adding up the scores and seeing who had the fewest strokes. It seems very elegant to me.

Posted by: -pj- | September 1, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Please, let's not get all tetchy. Believe that we are all being open and kind. Please?

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I had not heard of Colm Toibin before, Yoki. Another boodler with a cousin who is a published novelist? That is very cool! Thanks!

Posted by: -pj- | September 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

OH, pj. Colm Toibin is one of those most wonderful articulate singing Irish-English novelists. Read him in order. Your life will be the richer for it.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I've only read two or three novels in the last 20 years or so. I should get back into them and a "singing Irish-English" novelist seems like a good place to start.

Posted by: -pj- | September 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Richnomore took my advice about carefully selective CAPITALIZATION. I think the next emphasis might be to write mostly in sentences.

I don't recall whether the New Yorker was easy to get hold of when I was in high school. The magazine I most remember was, of all things, Art in America, which gave me the useless ability to recognize a David Smith sculpture or Paul Rudolph building.

Kind of began reading the New Yorker regularly when William Finnegan's "Playing Doc's Games" appeared. Two issues of cold water, paddling and surfing big waves at San Francisco's Ocean Beach. Gary Larson's retirement made a subscription necessary.

I got into McPhee through what became "Annals of the Former World".

I suspect Jumper's right in that Palin and Beck are probably short-term sideshows, likely fading sometime after November.

I'm increasingly fearing a Republican Congress. They'll investigate federal employees who are doing "bad science" on climate change. They'll promote unrestrained use of coal as the "energy of the future". They'll determine that Obama isn't a "natural born" citizen, just an anchor baby. They'll decide not to fund the FDA, CDC, USGS, EPA, or NOAA. None of those are allowed by the Constitution. No unconstitutional Federal Reserve, neither. Let J.C. Morgan do it, as they once did. Health care? No right to it. Repeat: deadbeat patients get no federal money. I think they might turn all non-defense federal lands over to the respective states, with management subsidies that gradually decline as the land is sold off or managed profitably. Heck, they might even disband most of the Army and turn things over to the state militias. And then Islam needs to be declared a non-religion, ineligible for Constitutional protection. Muslims will be banned from holding office.

I'm waiting for nasty fights between the evangelical/Catholic side of the Republican party and the Libertarians.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

pj - I despise it because I am jealous.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | September 1, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I read Handmaid's Tale long ago. Hard to like it as it's a horrific view of the future. Hope it doesn't come true. I've tried a couple other of her books, haven't been able to get into them before the library wanted them back. I believe she knits, and has been very kind to the Yarn Harlot (I think she posed for a picture with a sock), so she's all right with me.

Colm Toibin is a wonderful writer. I had seen The Blackwater Lightship on PBS before I read it (and before I knew about the Boodle connection).

Posted by: seasea1 | September 1, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Lyric Irish? I've gotta try Donald Akenson's "An Irish History of Civilization."

Will try VF's Palin, but I suspect I've already heard more of her than I need.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Just to bring up (again) a point that I would have thought would entirely settle the "birther" "controversy", no matter how one envisions the "issue": I believe that absolutely no one disputes that Mr. Obama's mother was an American citizen at the time of his birth. I believe that it is long-settled law that if one of the parents is a citizen of the U.S., natural-born or naturalized, then the child is a natural-born citizen until relinquishing that right. Therefore, both Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain are both citizens of the U.S., no matter where in the heck they were born, and there is not even a crazy person's concept of an argument that can unsettle that conclusion.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 1, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

'pj - I despise it because I am jealous.'

Now my heart is truly broken.

seasea, yes.

Posted by: Yoki | September 1, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

But, Tim, his mother was under 18. I've seen wingnuts argue that her age somehow comes into play, but that seems ridiculous.

Wikipedia says:
"All persons born in Hawaii on or after April 30, 1900, are native-born citizens of the United States." So then they argue that he was really born in Kenya.

These idiots aren't looking for facts.

Posted by: seasea1 | September 1, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Science Tim,
I'm willing to bet that, given a Republican House in 2011, there will be some kind of official query into the President's eligibility for office. At least ostentatious closing of the barn door after the cow's wandered out. The people likely to be in office are crazy. It's as if there's been a conservative fad for consuming ergot-infested rye bread.

I think it was Newt Gingrich who popularized the notion of dismantling institutions of the Reform Era. He preferred Boss Tweed to Theodore Roosevelt. One of his minions famously announced that "we don't need a Geological Survey," and the USGS had an uphill climb to justify its existence. I think my short list of agencies facing trouble is a reasonably good start.

I envy a couple who so liked their honeymoon in New Zealand that they somehow got permission to immigrate and start raising kids, who are speaking fine Kiwi.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | September 1, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Top Chef tonight is doing astronaut food. It has to be freeze-driable so it can be sent to the ISS.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 1, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't play much golf, but I enjoy it. Really, I enjoy getting out with friends and family having a quiet conversation, laughs and impossibly hyperbolic trash talk.

I'd love to play St. Andrews, just to take some time to appreciate the history of the game and to see what playing that crazy old course is *really* like.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 1, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

While I can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd expend energy trying to convince anyone that it's good food, I do enjoy a Taco Bell gorge-fest every now & then.

I think that Glenn Beck is a deeply flawed huckster but ultimately has good intentions. [Let me be clear - I have no patience for him myself, and recognize that he quite intentionally encourages people far more dangerous than him.] While certainly I don't believe that Sarah Palin is actively malevolent, I've come to believe that she doesn't have good intentions, bad intentions, or any thoughts at all that extend beyond tactical self-interest. Maybe I'm wrong, often I am.

I've spent some time in Hawaii & Alaska & Guam & the Panama Canal Zone. Trust me (M.O.P. can probably back me up here), plenty of folks born in those places aren't exactly comfortable considering themselves citizens of the U.S.

RichNomore decided upon his/her first visit here that Joel and the regular commenters are sufficiently stupid and/or ignorant and/or apathetic that they/we are not worthy of any attempts to engage in meaningful communication. Heck, she/he may be correct. I'm sure he/she often is.

Posted by: Bob-S | September 2, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

One of the most recent comments on the "No One to Talk To about Astronomy" article quoted a superb line I'd never heard before:

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” – Dorothy Parker

Posted by: Bob-S | September 2, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Funny. I always say I have never been bored.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

That's the way I feel myself, Yoki. Boredom would be too much work when there's so much fun (and work) out there. And books and music and people and food and flowers and mountains and yarn and bears and frogs . . . . . . . .

Posted by: talitha1 | September 2, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

and fishing and painting and reading and cooking and walks and conversation and the riding of bikes and cuddling of babies and picnics and kisses and tilling and writing and...

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

and making soup and art.

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

The world is so full of a number of things
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.

One of the first rhymes I remember learning as a little child.

Posted by: talitha1 | September 2, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Posted by: Yoki | September 2, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, you all. Rise and shine, dear dawn patrol.

Tomorrow is Scotty's birthday! Have a wonderful one, Scotty! May bells and whistles and candles and balloons and cakes and champagne and presents greet you all weekend...

bc, I enjoyed golf, too, the comraderie of my friends, the beauty of nature which is the course, the exercise of walking, the lunch afterwards, all good things.

Now...one of my favorite poems to add to the collection which Talitha and Yokie have begun:

W. B. Yeats

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow, 5
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

Posted by: VintageLady | September 2, 2010 4:32 AM | Report abuse

Broken

Posted by: VintageLady | September 2, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, VL! :-) *HUGSSSSSSSSSSS*

And it's mo's Hippo Birdie day TODAY!!!! *faxin' black confetti & black party horns & so on* :-) *HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

Bob, I heartily believe Beck's only intentions are increasing the size of his bank account by seeing just how stupid his audience can be.

And of course I should have been crystal-clear last night in saying I got "Beyond the Lighted Stage," the documentary about my alltime favorite musical act, RUSH. Not anything about any other entity sharing the spelling of Mssrs. Lee, Peart & Lifeson's ongoing concern.

*still-keeping-a-close-eye-on-that-darn-Earl Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I know reading George Will is grounds for boodle disbarment, but he does have a good quote from Colorado senate candidate Ken Buck: "Will you tell those dumb asses at the Tea Party to stop asking questions about birth certificates while I'm on the camera?"

George also says the phrase 'Tea Party leader' "is not [i]quite[/i] an oxymoron".

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Morning, friends. Got a lot going on here this morning, and haven't had a chance to read all the comments. And don't know the story of the gunman at Discovery Channel? I love Discovery.

My daughter came here late last night very upset because she has been fired from her job. She hasn't been feeling well, so doctor wanted her to take it easy for a few days, and the hospital fired her. I'm going this morning and try to talk with the supervisor because she so needs a job. Pray for my little clan. She was told doctor's excuse don't mean diddly poo with them!

I haven't slept much, and am just exhausted but need to do this. Will check back with you folks later today. And thank you again for just being here.

Scotty, in case I forget, have a wonderful birthday. You are one of those lovely people that should have so many birthdays, we need more like you. A of lot hugs to you.

Have a great day, folks, I'm going to try and do that, join me! And much love to all.

Slyness, is there a job in Charlotte? Hope you are well this morning. Daughter probably doesn't want to go to Charlotte. She and the g-girl are afraid of their own shadow!

Posted by: cmyth4u | September 2, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Too kind, Cassandra, too kind!!! :-) *HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra I am so sorry to hear your daughters news.

Posted by: dmd3 | September 2, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

And yes of course, Cassandra, I hope your daughter is back at work soon. *HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I nominate myself for Reading Comprehension FAIL of the Day... *SIGH*

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Casssandra,
I hope your daughter finds a new job soon. Times are tough and I hope she finds the will to carry on. Something better will come out of this.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 2, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh Cassandra, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she can get everything worked out quickly. Good supervisors are so few and far between. Yes, I'm sure she could find a job here, the tough part is finding a place to live.

Good to hear from you, VintageLady!

Happy birthday, Mo!

Off into another busy day...

Posted by: slyness | September 2, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Cassandra - so sorry to hear your news. You'll all be in my thoughts, and you MUST take care of yourself and try to sleep even as you worry, my dear.

Happy Birthday, Mo.

~~~~~~O
~~~~~O
~~~~O
~~~O
~~O

(horizontal balloons)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 2, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Vintage Lady, the Yeats you posted earlier is one of my favorites - thanks! I wasn't trying to start a poetry thread with my childhood ditty but am glad you and Yoki didn't know that! ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | September 2, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh Cassandra, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she gets another job quickly. You are in my prayers.

Happy birthday Mo!!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, Mo.
And S'nuke, please stop looking at your watch. We know that yours is tomorrow...

Full-on kazoo Orchestras for you both.

Cassandra, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's job. Can't help put cringe at the irony of her being let go by a hospital due to her doctor's advice regarding health issues. I hope she can find employment with people who will treat her right.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | September 2, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

It's tomorrow somewhere, bc... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | September 2, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

My dad died 36 years ago today. I still get tears in my eyes sometimes when I talk about him. Glad I had him as long as I did, wish I'd had him a bit longer. I know he's watching over me and my family tho' and that he's smiling.

Have a great day everybody!

Posted by: badsneakers | September 2, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I was about to respond to Cassandra's very sad news and then saw that bc already said what I was going to say. My wishes are with your entire family Cassandra.

That was so "Rick Scott" of them.

Posted by: russianthistle | September 2, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

*faxing Mo a proper birthday bouquet of her favourite roses*

Happy birthday, Mo!

on a totally unrelated topic, it would seem that prescribing drugs to treat very young children, and the long term effects of this regimen , is largely unknown territory. pretty sad considering hat this practice is rather common.

good thoughts your way, 'sneaks.

Posted by: -jack- | September 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

New manly sports kit.

Posted by: -bia- | September 2, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I just can't find much that improves on this view of the hurricane's doings:

I think I see the beginning of the hard right turn.

Posted by: Jumper1 | September 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse