A transitional moment

There are only two seasons: Hot and cold. Everything else is transitional. The four-seasons concept is a marketing invention. The hemisphere leans toward the sun, then leans away. There are some in-between moments, to be sure, but they're not "seasons."

I guarantee you that no pre-industrial culture had any notion of "autumn." They had the harvest, the end of the growing season, and then there was winter, and then there was the growing season again. In the tropics, they have the wet season and the dry season. But here in the temperate zone, the industrialized world, the Madison Avenue-invented society, the consumer culture, we have this whole "autumn" thing shoved down our throats every year even though there's no sign of it at all in the real world except some pretty trees and the random pumpkin.

Thank God I'm here to talk sense.

Autumn reminds me of Halloween, another totally fake event that, I am here to tell you now and do not forget where you heard this, is not actually scary. And the kids show up and say "trick or treat," but they don't actually have any tricks, it's a phony threat, they got no game.

There is also Election Season. Politicians running amok. Talk about fakers. I'm not paying as much attention as I should. I find it hard to get worked up over whether Harry Reid, for example, wins re-election. I know I'm supposed to care about such things, but I have other stuff on my mind, like the Favre-Childress spat. Even this big rally by Jon Stewart, I'm having a hard time taking it seriously, like autumn itself -- it doesn't strike me as entirely a real event. Will people come in costume? What's the Anti-Tea-Party costume? British military dress?

Thank God I'm here to ask the smart questions and point out all the phonies and fakers!

By Joel Achenbach  | October 28, 2010; 9:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Enterprising chemistry majors at Georgetown
Next: Two billion people at Stewart-Colbert rally [Updated]

Comments

Given the theme of Jon Stewart's rally, sensible shoes would seem to be a must.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Since Tea Partiers are always calling Obama's policies socialism, I would suggest dressing as a very moderate socialist. Perhaps Eugene V. Debs or Josef Stalin.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

You're right about the seasons, JA. One can hardly tell autumn or spring for that matter from winter or summer. There's no in-between any more. As for the politicians, I'm so fed up with my mailbox being full of their baloney, I could actually scream. No real mail, just that junk. Of course, I should be on the happy side, at least they're not bills.

Anyone interested in my report on the after school program can read it in the last kit. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do the thingy, where you can transfer comments to another boodle. Computer dummy!

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 28, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What would the dress of Beck's fascist communists? Jackboots, jodhpur pants and Mao jackets?

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Joel, the kids today don't tricks from Trix. When I was a kid back in the 50's we had real tricks- egg throwing, window soaping, wedge the door shut and set the doorbell to ring continuously, and the killer, the burning paper sack of manure on the doorstep. Ah, the good old days.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

sd,
That sounds very sexy in a She-Wolf of the People's Army kinda way.

Maybe we can get Rich Iott to give us fashion tips.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

" The four-seasons concept is a marketing invention....I guarantee you that no pre-industrial culture had any notion of 'autumn.' They had the harvest, the end of the growing season, and then there was winter, and then there was the growing season again."

*whistling tunelessly*

I don't suppose Joel would be interested in hearing a first-hand eyewitness account of exactly HOW that marketing invention came to be made, about the blood, toil, sweat and tears (to coin a phrase) that certain persons (I shan't name names, nor do any untoward bragging) put into crafting that elegantly simple, fine-tuned equinoctially related four-season thing came into existence way back when.

I don't suppose he'd be interested in seeing all the rough drafts a certain hard-working selection committee (under some very able chairmanship to say nothing of copy editing) went through to come up with "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), do you? I don't suppose he'd want to learn that some of the early drafts included suggested seasons such as "drought," "horny," "hayfeveria," "nekkid," "goosebumpia," "plantopia," "scythingtime," "fleet week," "Junebridianna" (there were two alternate suggestions for this same time period, one involving a painful anatomical reference having to do with membranes and one having to do with bridal registry), "first pitch" (having to do with the inauguration of the sporting season, by which I mean baseball, not the other thing you might have been thinking, which was called "Tonsil Hockey Time"), "Hurricania," "Short Days," "Season of the Witch," "Monday Night Football," "Petunia," "Cramps," "Snowmania," "Trick-of-Treat," "Mattress Sale Weekend," "Really Hot," "Dave's Season," "Birthing Time" (late August and early September), "Monsoon," "Twister," "Sheep-shearing," "Whiffleball," and "Snuggle." (I'm telling ya, that was the very LAST time this committee chairman ever allowed suggestions from the floor.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Twice I missed my commuter rail ride from South Station by minutes. The first time afforded me the opportunity to slowly walk around the circular, independent book kiosk, the kiosk rather prominently placed toward the center of the depot's waiting room, the depot also the Amtrak hub.

One very recent history book caught my attention right away, "Defiance of the Patriots: The Boston Tea Party and the Making of America" by Benjamin L. Carp, an associate professor of early American history at Tufts University in Medford, Mass.

Interestingly, this kiosk had the book quite early; Amazon gives its release date as Oct. 25. Since my trip had become a book-buying spree, I decided to wait and not pay full price for "Defiance." I intended to buy it last night with a good discount coupon, but my husband couldn't get his SUV started as we were going to head to dinner out last night. Today, I have an even juicier discount coupon, but we'll have to figure out how to get his vehicle out of the driveway before I can move by car. But I digress.

But you yourselves might want to buy it and read it and do a contrast and compare of Boston's rebellion with today's Tea Party organization. Who is today's Sam Adams? Today's Joseph Warren? Today's Thomas Young? Who was the one individual who didn't dress up in Native garb that night that tea stained the harbor waters? Where, in today's lexicon, is the one tea-carrying ship that was built on Scituate's North River?

For the answer to the question of what ship was built on North River and was part of the Tea Party escapades, I'd have to get out my notes. I'll call out, too, the wonderful staff, volunteers--most seniors, of Scituate's Irish Mossing Museum on the Old Driftway. The upstairs of the museum is devoted to the history of shipbuilding on North River, the second floor a place where I sat for about half an hour and talked with the knowledgeable Jane Atherton. Jane, a former reporter for the Patriot Ledger, is, I suspect, in her early 80s, and what a treasure she is!

Must turn away from the Boodle, as I've a packet to delve into (in order to study) from an individual with the Massachusetts Historical Commission, about some unidentified bones found rather recently quite close to this present-day museum, along with shroud pins. Could they be family? And should these as-yet-unidentified skeletal fragments be repatriated to Scituate?

Bones and the upcoming Halloween on Sunday--what a combination. Neat T-shirt I saw in the Old North Church gift shop. It read "Tea Shirt" and had an oversized cup of tea beneath the letters.

Posted by: laloomis | October 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

_____________________

The answer would appear to be to dress in costumes from The Trojan Women. According to Woody Allen's 'Without Feathers', anyway.
======================

Demonstration and Marches. The key point about a demonstration is that it must be seen. Hence the term "demonstration." If a person demonstrates privately in his own home, this is not technically a demonstration but merely "acting silly" or "behaving like an a$s." A fine example of a demonstration was the Boston Tea Party, where outraged Americans disguised as Indians dumped British tea into the harbor. Later, Indians disguised as outraged Americans dumped actual British into the harbor. Following that, the British disguised as tea, dumped each other into the harbor. Finally, German mercenaries clad only in costumes from The Trojan Women leapt into the harbor for no apparent reason.

Posted by: veritasinmedium | October 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

kguy, you forgot teepee'ing the trees and shrubbery, pouring a layer of dish cleaning liquid on the porch, and dropping dog poop in the offered candy bowl.

Where's the imagination these days?

Posted by: MsJS | October 28, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Beaver, it was the Beaver, the North River ship involved in the Boston Tea Party. They have beaver in Alaska don't they?

In looking this up, I just found that there is a smallpox story associated with the Beaver, according to this link. Who knew?

Posted by: laloomis | October 28, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Seven.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Plus two.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It may not be clear, but the last paragraph of my 11am post is quoted from Woody Allen's Without Feathers, heretofore known as Without Attribution.

Posted by: veritasinmedium | October 28, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Now, doncha be bad mouthing Halloween. It is, like, my all-time favorite holiday. Did you know that it was originally a celestial holiday? (At least that's what an Astronomy friend of mine tells me.) Way back in history it was a celebration that marked the half-way point between the Autumnal Equinox and the Winter Solstice.

But that was before processed sugar.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 28, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Scott Adams on "crazy eyes."

I like the idea of Sam Adams costumes. Trojan women, too, although I'm not sure my imagination is getting that too accurately.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Liberalism is a genetic disorder:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but the teepee must be followed up with at lawn sprinklers at full force to achieve maximum effect.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of holidays, the October 11th episode of the Overthinking It podcast had a very good discussion of the nature of holidays and why and how they are established. It's in the last third of this rather long episode:

The unstated logical conclusion to their treatise is that we should do away with Columbus Day and create National Breast Cancer Awareness Day to be celebrated by feats of athletic achievement.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Autumn is just a heartbreaking tale signifying nothing. The mosquitoes still swarm, the sweat comes easy, and it's still too hot for pumpkin pie making."

Heavens! Jumper, remind me what part of the country you're in. Where I am, in the Great Upper Midwest, most of the deciduous trees (no, I didn't even bother to check my spelling, thank you) still have their leaves, but they have faded from their vibrant yellows, oranges, and scarlets. Now the leaves are a dull, muted, palatte of browns, harvest golds, and burnt umber (sp?). And, it's in the 40's, windy, and cloudy.

Fortunately, all the mosquitos are dead.

Cheers

CowTown

Posted by: jp1954 | October 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

A disorder, yes. Genetic, sure. But is it rare?

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 28, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Power-blaster squirt guns work just fine, kguy. They have the added advantages of not needing to be hooked up to the house in question and being easily integrated into one's costume as a seemingly harmless prop.

I'm so glad to hear liberalism is genetic. It's not my fault, I was born this way.

Posted by: MsJS | October 28, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It's officially autumn because all the leaves fell off my much despised ash tree within a 24 hour period earlier this week.

Nevermind that the AC was running this morning.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Maybe medium-rare.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 28, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

According to some, not rare enough.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joel, it's a Daily Show rally, you're not suppose to take it seriously. And for good measure they're combining it with a Colbert Report rally just to make sure you're not suppose to take it seriously.

Posted by: davem_or | October 28, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

You mean it's not a lifestyle choice?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, I would like to think that not only do I have the gene, but it's also my choice! A double whammy, yanno.

So wish I could march again on Saturday. I will try to follow you, TBG, and will be there in spirit.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

what ftb said.

to all who are going, hope it's fun. in a sane sorta way.

Posted by: MsJS | October 28, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm just back from a lunchtime recon of the rally site.

Pleased to report that, news reports to the contrary, there are porta-johns aplenty.

Also, it appears that our TBG has come through again with her mad organizational skilz. While the security barriers aren't all in place yet, it appears there will be an access point a mere two blocks from the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro, at the back side of the National Gallery west wing.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 28, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Autumn's not a season, it's a girl's name.

YJ..sensible shoes? What's that? Like on sale? Or are they supposed to know which outfits they go with? I'm confused....

Posted by: LostInThought | October 28, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Some people know what a tea party is:

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Where EYE come from, there most certainly is Autumn. We've had bright cold sunny days, cold nights, a couple/three snow-falls, all the leaves have fallen, and it is, most days, necessary to wear the very cute black peacoat that #1 left for me when she absconded to the Antipodes. I'd say Autumn started around the middle of September, and should last another week or so before we enter full-on Winter.

Which means it is time for me to get my car serviced and the all-seasons swapped out for the winter tires.

Posted by: Yoki | October 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that make them all-seasons-but-one tires?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Autumn here is my favorite time of year, clear, vibrant blue skies, colourful foliage in the full range from yellow, orange, red, green, burgundy, purple. On days when there is not sun heavy grey clouds that contrast nicely with the foliage. Temps are varied from very warm to sometimes snow. The air is fresh - always found it a rejuvenating time. Prepares you to survive through Jan-mid-March and the wet soggy winters we get.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

How's your gag reflex?

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Still got your lunch?

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, here if it snows it is winter. Autumn is the season between "really hot" and "cold, might snow".

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 28, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

kguy, that may be the second-most cruel, twisted thing anyone's ever posted on the Boodle. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Awwww, man. RIP the original "Book 'em" Dann, James MacArthur, son of Helen Hayes, at 72. Natural causes, but no further explanation.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

James MacArthur? Awww. That's a shame. Can't figure out, tho, that we was that "old" (as Mudge and I are creeping inexorably up there ourselves).

BTW, I also want to add that having stayed up to see Obama on The Daily Show last night (and then not being able to fall asleep until 2:00 in the morning, *sigh*), I thought it was pretty good. I don't care about the lack of guffaw-worthy moments -- I can get that on other TDS shows. I thought our Prez acquitted himself very well, and I also loved the look on Jon Stewart's face -- it's like for the whole 1/2 hour, inside his brain he was going nuts: "Hey, look! I got the prez on my show and he's right in front of me right now! Hey isn't this cool! Wowie-Zowie!" That's what got me laughing.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 28, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Trojan Women, for those still looking for costume ideas, can be seen here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067881/videogallery

Vanessa Redgrave and Katherine Hepburn et cetera

Posted by: veritasinmedium | October 28, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Helo@Balticon:

The lights came up, revealing an old-fashioned shiny toaster at center stage. In came Helo on patrol, rifle at the ready. Caught sight of the toaster; cautiously approached. Dropped the rifle and picked up the toaster. Stared at it lovingly, then went in for a kiss - tongue and all.

Funniest thing I'd seen all night; I literally fell over laughing. Only fans of the recent Battlestar Galactica get the joke.

IIRC he was a Marine on leave, not a member of our local costuming guild. He spent the rest of the con as the "Steampunk Bachelor", giving away beaten metal roses to eligible young women. (Alas, I can no longer claim to be either eligible or young).

Posted by: ScienceSpouse | October 28, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

MacArthur was the last 5-0er. Jack Lord died in 1998, Gilbert Kauai, aka Zulu (Kono) died in 2004, and Kam Fong Chun (Chin Ho Kelly) in 2002.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And 'Caprica' has been canceled so we may never find out how those toasters came into existence.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Now THIS guy has no gag reflex whatsoever-

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Toasters? TBG, works for the reflection series too.

I love BLToaster and wish that Thomas Disch was still alive.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

And, you say STEAMPUNK, to which I say, BRUCE STERLING:

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ftb, if you REALLY want to go to the rally, I'm sure we could arrange a sedan chair sort of setup.

Right, bc?

'Mudge?

yello?

Bueller??

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

With *fans* Snukie???? And you guys are gonna be nekkid, too, right?

Oh, yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

*snorting happily*

Posted by: ftb3 | October 28, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I could use a sedan chair myself, Scotty.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The annual temperature curve, averaged, is a sine wave. In real life, you know it won't snow in August or be suitable for growing okra in January. That's about the limit of it. Fall is likely to be snow and okra, in alternation. Spring is a series of attempts to murder newborn calves and young tomato plants.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 28, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Quote from Bruce Sterling on the meaning, existentially, of steampunk:

QUOTE BEGINS
We are a technological society. When we trifle, in our sly, Gothic, grave-robbing fashion, with archaic and eclipsed technologies, we are secretly preparing ourselves for the death of our own tech. Steampunk is popular now because people are unconsciously realizing that the way that we live has already died. We are sleepwalking. We are ruled by rapacious, dogmatic, heavily-armed fossil-moguls who rob us and force us to live like corpses. Steampunk is a pretty way of coping with this truth. END QUOTE.

From a speech to the Dutch GoGboT gathering, with snips reported here:

---
Following the boodle tradition of making my ideas separate from those I like and want to share. Go BROOOOCE. The other one, with antique spectacles and pants held with braces and multi-buttoned shoes. Talitha may be steampunkie in her way.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sedan chairs, quite steampunkie.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Get me a top hat and pair of leather strapped aviator goggles, pronto, you street urchin.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

A bad guy ala steampunk would be the evil guy in the NeoWildWildWest, played by Ken Brannaugh.....come to think of this, perhaps WWW was the first steampunkie moment.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how long this will be up, but until then...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The original WWW had steampunk elements, as did the movies "The Time Machine" and "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea".

Posted by: ScienceSpouse | October 28, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about having to bail out on the sedan chair squad, but I'm under doctor's orders not to lift more than five pounds for a few weeks.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Although I still like this one, too...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

There is a guy in England collecting money to finance the building of a full-sized steam powered Babbage Analytical Engine:

You can make a donation here:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Not to be picky SS, but I think you may be a few leagues short on that title.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 28, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So, yello, um, what are you saying?????

Posted by: ftb3 | October 28, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

His hemorrhoid surgery went horribly wrong, ftb.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 28, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ftb,
I had a freckle surgically removed from my shoulder. The biopsy isn't back yet, but I don't want to do anything to annoy my dermatologist because she is very cute. In the meantime, I'm milking her 'no-lifting' order for all its worth.

She has declared my entire derriere to be cancer-free.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 28, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorta in the steampunk idiom:

There's a new building going up across the street, and from our 16th floor windows we have a lovely view of work on the soon-to-be sub-sub-sub-subbasement. This morning, a large excavator (some might call it a diesel steam shovel, but never mind) was doing its work while a teeny-tiny version, sort of a ditch-digger, cavorted almost underneath the larger equipment's bucket. I suddenly flashed back to "Destroy All Monsters," with Godzilla and Son of Godzilla.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 28, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Fall is arrived. The two little, miserably slow-growing sasanqua camellias are flowering.

Not to mention that the caladiums have disappeared and some snaky-looking ragweeds are flowering. The flower stalks are all about 4' long, and sprawl all over.

But it's too hot to do any yard work. Plans are to install some real sandstone edging for one bed (it's a way to keep bed plants and grass separated), get rid of some large, rampant bromeliads from a bed that's becoming too shady for them, and build a small bed for those little sasanquas.

The newly available bed space will receive some amaryllises that are being shaded out by an Everglades palm, an oregano bush, a lemongrass plant, and a bunch of new amaryllises and Easter lilies.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Rob Pegoraro, the Post's Tech maven, has some tips for using your cell phones on the mall on Saturday.

Posted by: rickoshea11 | October 28, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

When I was thinking of Trojan Women at the Restore Sanity rally, I was thinking of this sort of thing, which would have the added effect of confusing watchers, of both tea-party types and the media:

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Tests showed unstable electorate before election!

Posted by: veritasinmedium | October 28, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

And the Saturday fun just keeps on coming:

Posted by: Raysmom | October 28, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Here's the line up for Saturday's events.

Posted by: rickoshea11 | October 28, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Thinking of spring and fall, the Pacific Northwest has a great deal of both.

The garden flowering season starts in January with witch hazel and japonica camellias, going on to hard-to-grow daphnes and lenten roses (hellebores), narcissus, flowering cherry, rhododendrons, and finally ending around early June with the much overrated rose bushes.

Fall is sneakier, showing up as cooler weather, rain, and in upscale neighborhoods with tree canopy, overwhelming masses of leaves that are ground to wet humus by SUV tires.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 28, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Father Sarducci! Yay! Sounds like a fun line up.

I just spent (or rather my Mac just spent) about an hour downloading new maps for my GPS. For that amount of time the darn thing should do the driving too.

Joel, you sound a bit testy, have you been channeling Mudge? ;-) I will admit to being disconcerted by the warm spell we've had. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I hadn't put all my summer clothes away. But as far as the seasons go, we've had 70 degree days in January here, not often of course. So I think of seasons as probabilities of temperature, but not guarantees.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 28, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Raysmom -- that's hysterical! I love it! I tell ya, if my knees could still do it, I would *definitely* take part!

Hey rickoshea! Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 28, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey FTB, you could take my wheelchair to the rally. I'll just be sitting here watching on television anyway.

Posted by: rickoshea11 | October 28, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Dr G was reading an article that mentioned how the archetypal chemist is a person in a white lab coat holding a beaker and/or test tube.

So he decided to see for himself...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

kguy

You know you're a trip, a real vacation, if you will. Your 10:48 cracked me up! Back from the church after-school program, and a funeral all in one day. Tired and sleepy. Time to hug the bed. Have a good night, folks.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 28, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

No captioning but seeing Obama on Jon Stewart helped my steamy funk for some reason.

Wilbrodog wants to go play, not type, so no hounddog haiku at the moment.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Gnome. Car keys. Dog. Car.
Clock. Event. Food. Fun. Time. To.
Go. Wilbrod. Caps. Ice?

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Why yes, steam punk predates the steampunkie movement: also, I think that the art impulse of the movie version of James and the Giant Peach is steam punkie too...thanks for those idea.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't the best costume for more than one reason be UN peacekeepers? Aren't their helmets light blue?

It would be with the spirit of the rally, and the more paranoid of the tin foil hatters would think that the UN had finished its superhighway or something.

Posted by: baldinho | October 28, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Good evening, all.

Was thinking about wearing formal gladiator garb for the Rally, complimented by some nice imported EV olive oil from my Stockpile of the Good Stuff, for that nice Med beach shine. Sensible sandals, though I might break out the Mercurian talaria which could make it easier for me to deal with the crowds.

Good calls re. Steampunk on here - SS, I guess Verne and maybe even Wells were Steampunks? As yello and others would note, even Stephenson goes SP sometimes...

October is my favorite month for many reasons, including the weather, the trees' riotous colors, Halloween, and batch of birthdays. And NFL football in high gear, of course. Libra - that most transitional and moderate of the astrological signs, IIRC - is mostly in October -- coincidence? I think not.

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

river shoes,hiking boots,waders are sensible shoes LiT

A tea party custome would be a tye dye t-shirt,cutoff jeans and a headband and probably not any sensible shoes.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 28, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

no kill i

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks like sweater weather is returning to DC just in time for the Sanity Rally.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

no kill i

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 28, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Evenin' all. It sure hasn't felt like fall the last few days what with the humidity and the AC running. This is not what I had understood fall in New England to be about! On the plus side, there are some fabulous looking trees. It's supposed to be much cooler over the weekend which I'm looking forward to. If it wasn't for feeling like I missed summer I'd be welcoming fall with open arms.

My folks were in town last night for a visit and we went to a BBQ/rib place up on Davis Square in Somerville. It wasn't the best BBQ I've ever had but it'll definitely serve for the Boston area. We had a great time.

Now it's off for a little work and hopefully to bed at a reasonable hour.

Posted by: cowhand214 | October 28, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

G'night cowhand. G'night boodle. G'night John Boy.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 28, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

TBG, you know that other site? Funniest thing I've read for weeks!

A few years ago Google asked me to send a resume. I have no idea why, but I realized that a place which picks up and delivers employees' dry cleaning is a place where you work so many hours you can't do it yourself. Fast forward to a depressing definition of "work-life balance." Nah. You need to have an actual life to have w-l b.

I went to a retirement dinner tonight for a computer system. Outgeek that!

Posted by: -dbG- | October 28, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

89 yesterday, 88 today. Everyone's complaining.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 28, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

TEEBEEGEE, g'ite, but you promised, you really did, to play paper dolls with me before bed. Friday. 'k?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 28, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Was the after-dinner programming good, dbG?

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Back home. Food for all
but the hardworking dog. Phooey.
Refund me my life.

-Wilbrodog-

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 28, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Too variable, if you ask me.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 28, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the Giants, but boy I'd like to see the nd of this inning so I can get to bed.

So very frenvious of those who will be bphing at the rally and after.

CqP-do you do the paper dolls with the tabs on their clothes or the ones that have a shiny finish so you can get the clothes to stick with a little static electricity? I like both, but am a real fan of the latter.

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 28, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I've been to parties like that, dbG. I figure it means I'm really old! (Not true in your case, I'm sure!)

Cassandra, sorry to hear about the after school program. Hope it can be resurrected somehow. I know how much it means to you and especially to the kids. Don't get discouraged, although I know it's difficult.

Posted by: seasea1 | October 28, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Back on the internet, service provider cut us off do to our virus issue, we have scanned and scoured and are now hopefully clean.

Cassandra sorry to hear about your after school program.

Raysmom, your link made my day, thank you.

If we get shut down again, to all those attending Saturday, have fun - I will be living vicariously through you - could someone have a Sam Adams for me afterwards?

Posted by: dmd3 | October 28, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

seasea, I am. Tonight at dinner I was one of only two people who had seen Star Wars when it first came out, in a theatre.

Several other people had dogs named Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca and Leia, but why would that surprise you?

Posted by: -dbG- | October 28, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Giants scored 7 runs in the 8th inning, which was 8 runs more than they needed: they blanked Texas 9-zippy.

My newly released DVD of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" arrived today and wjust finished watching it. It was terrific...but I have to wonder how it might appear to someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't already know what's going on. But if you're a fan, I recommend it. The DVD comes with two versions, the Swedish with subtitles, or a dubbed English version.

Posted by: Curmudgeon5 | October 28, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Cowhand,
Redbones?

Posted by: rickoshea11 | October 28, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"Give me chocolate or I will cut you." Now that's my new favorite line of the day.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 29, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I know, it's really early but I can't go back to sleep. This body hurts everywhere, and the pain medication just kicked in, but I'm not sleepy.

I've missed both sessions of my water therapy this week, hopefully I can get there this week coming up. Since I've got a handle on the cramping, it's much better. I really do enjoy it.

We will have our annual Seabord Festival Saturday. Lots of people will be here, and I'm hoping the weather will be nice.

As for the after-school program, when they find a director, hopefully it will start back. Not sure I'll be able to participate, but that's ok. I probably need to slow down.

Slyness, you probably should rest the weekend, you've been the busy bee this week. Hope the weather is more like fall in your neighborhood. I had fan and air conditioning running full blast yesterday.

Enjoy your weekend, folks, and love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 29, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back in the Gulf of Mexico (remember that place?), the cement that Halliburton mixed up was no good.

Just keep cutting those corners, guys. What are the odds something bad could happen?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 5:18 AM | Report abuse

Cassandra, I hope you were able to go back to sleep. I was sorry to hear about the after school program and hope it gets started up again soon and that you are a part of it. You have such a passion for teaching those children, I don't know how they could do without you.

Boy is it dark outside! We'll be heading out soon.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 29, 2010 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodlies!
Transition? As we are about to enter summer in Chile . . .

Guess what?

SNOW in Santiago!
Bah, humbug!

It must be something taken from General Petrehoochie´s game plan that has gone south.

Brag :)

Posted by: Braguine | October 29, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, Brag. Nice and crisp here in the mid-Atlantic. One might say the weather is moderate just in time for The Rally.

As for Earth-sized planets, there are billyuns and billyuns out there:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all, hi Cassandra! I'm glad it's Friday, but there will be no rest for the weary. Today is the funeral for the young man in my church who died in a fall. It will be SRO. And emotionally tough.

Tomorrow begins Mr. T's fire station conference, so I won't come up for air again till Wednesday afternoon. That's why I'm not coming to DC this weekend, I'd much rather be there. Such is life...But the Geekdottir is coming in my place and I know she'll have a blast with you folks.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Badsneakers

It will open again when they find a new director. As for me, I don't have to be a part of it as long as the kids get what they need. I knew there would come a time when I might not be able to participate, and it really is okay. And I'm still working with kids at the church, and in their homes, so it's all good.

I can't change the world, but I can do what I can to help in a good way, I hope. Not aspiring for sainthood, just believe that when one professes to love Christ, and I know He loves me(and you too), then I do those things that please Him.

Slyness, yours will be a hard day. I'll send a prayer up for you, and for everyone here. I would love to be at the gathering too, but my circumstances aren't able to meet that event. I will attend in heart.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 29, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Big teaching day ahead. Shall wisdom descend as if carried upon a sedan chair? We can hope.

For fun, this is an odd but hysterical movie about phDing in the humanities: the case for and against, in office hours:

DNA girl, enjoy and share

You can also access the software and make your own movie by typing text.

So Slyness, ever so, isn't it: while in life, we are amidst death. And still, the sting, the sorrow, the hard intake of breath against aching hearts.

Cassandra -- the little death of the school program, also so hard. GLAD that you like the water therapy...surrender to the water!

Take care on this chilly day, with the smell, the smell of leaves decaying in the morn....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh yes, CqP. Yesterday's service was for a good, long life well lived. Sorrow for ourselves only. Today's is for a young life cut short far, far too soon. We oldsters know grief, but it's new to the young ones. How can we comfort them? So, so hard.

Posted by: slyness | October 29, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

sending good thoughts your way, slyness. have fun this weekend.

Posted by: -jack- | October 29, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of fakers, that must include the Texas Rangers.

Posted by: edbyronadams | October 29, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

*HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to Slyness and Cassandra and whoever needs them plus some hurried-and-harried-despite-it-being-TFSMIF Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

It's a "typical" fall day here in the Metro DC. Temps starting in the 40's, maybe get to the upper 50's, cloudless blue skys and a fresh breeze from the NW. Despite Joel's musings, I think this period from mid-September to the end of October is really the best time around here. The humidity stays low, it can be shirt-sleeve warm some days, and light jacket weather the others. And DST hasn't ended yet so it's still light until after 6.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 29, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

If you need a sign for the Inanity Rally, feel free to use my generic version:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

This is one of those typical Washington days, for sure: I came down this morning and switched the thermostat from AC to heat. Now it's just off--I hope it stays there for a while.

My boodler guests are probably all on their way here! I'm looking forward to a fun weekend!

Anyone with my cell number who is meeting up tomorrow should probably text me when they get there rather than call... will be easier to communicate that way.

Do we have a roll call of who is planning to join us? I'm hoping we can find Wheezy in the crowd. I'd hate to think she drove all the way here and we were all in the same place and didn't get to finally meet in person!

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm in. I got my posters printed already. My wife wants one that says "I'm not with him."

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I just taught myself how to send a text message. But there it is.

Maybe Wheezy could carry a red umbrella? Would she recognize an "Error in '08" shirt?

Maybe we should have a specific meeting point, since A-NM is fairly large and there will be a lot of people. Maybe next to the sailor statue?

Posted by: Raysmom | October 29, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Or one of us could hold a "Wheezy" sign, like at the airport?

Posted by: Raysmom | October 29, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Apparently there's been a fourth Marine Corps-related shooting overnight. It appears the same sniped fired shots again at the MCMuseum he shot at two weeks ago. No one injured. But I (and I bet every security person and cop within 300 miles) am worried about the Marine Corps Marathon Sunday.

Clearly, this crackpot has something against the Marines, but I hope hje's "just" a crank rather than an actual killer. I hope he doesn't decide to take it up a notch.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I could use some boodle creativity. Does anyone have ideas for a quick and easy Halloween costume? Or something I can say I'm dressed as while wearing my normal clothes? I'm just not a costume person and would be happiest not bothering with it. But we've been invited to a party tomorrow, with costumes "strongly encouraged." Last year we went without, and I felt out of place; I'd rather not do that again. But my other choices are putting time and thought into a costume and getting all irritated about it (I'm pretty much already there), since no ideas are springing to mind and it's not an activity I find fun, or skipping a chance to hang out with people I like just because I don't know what to wear. Can any of y'all help?

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Warm muffins, coffee and OJ on the table.

For those of you who remember Karen Liebreich, the online WSJ picked up this article on apple 'scrumping' in London, which is one of her pet projects this time of year.

Posted by: MsJS | October 29, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think "Error in '08" shirts might just possibly be misinterpreted a bit at the rally.

I also think the Navy Memorial statue would be a good place to congregate once we exit the Metro stop.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Balloons with long strings? Sending out GPS coordinates? (high and low tech options)

I'm frenvious, but will be visiting TBG & family in December, so that takes the edge off. Have a wonderful day, all.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Bia, I used to attend a H party where one woman would dress in her usual clothes. When asked, she would always say, "However I'm dressed, I'm Always a witch."

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I've updated my generic poster to include the official Stewart/Colbert logos:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

bia:
If you have a black graduation robe, throw it on and go as a judge.
Wear overalls and carry a wrench and go as Joe the Plumber.
Wear something glam with outrageous shades and go as .
Wear high-tech sunglasses and worker clothes and say you're one of the 33 miners.
If politically acceptable at this gathering, wear regular clothes and carry around a tea cup and saucer.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: MsJS | October 29, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

At a college party, a group of guys just wore green Hefty bags over their clothes. When asked what they were supposed to be they said "Gangrene."

Posted by: Raysmom | October 29, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

bia, you could always say, "I'm not bia, I'm wearing a bia costume!" :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

bia, last year I was a "dead cyclist." I got an old white t-shirt, spray painted some black paint on an old spare tire (it came with the house) and carefully rolled it over the t-shirt. Then I just wore my normal cycling outfit, including helmet, with a little fake blood oozing from my nostrils and ears. It took 15 minutes to make and only cost me the fake blood.

Posted by: jp1954 | October 29, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

MsJS,

This one's for you...a priest in San Antonio alleged to have held a youth at gunpoint while raping him. If you Google "Fiala" you'll find the story went further than our local press. Don't know where the story now stands in terms of the case winding its way through the courts...

Posted by: laloomis | October 29, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

SCC: Rock Springs, close to San Antonio

Posted by: laloomis | October 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, bia. We're having costume day at work today and I'm not really dressed as anything. I just never got into that sort of stuff. I'm already on about my 5th vague joking explanation of my non-costume.

Fortunately, I've got long hair and a scruffy beard so I can always compromise by going as a homeless person (the real problem will be when I come in looking exactly the same on Monday in a supposedly professional environment).

At various times over the past couple months I have teasingly been referred to as Jesus or Jesus 2.0. I don't want to try pulling that one off and potentially offend people (or myself). I'm thinking of compromising and going as a street preacher.

Repent now, sinners! The end is near!

Posted by: cowhand214 | October 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

bia... the old standby in our house is Gypsy. frilly blouse, skirt, boots and lots of jewelry. Extra makeup, a scarf on your head and hoop earrings and you're there.

When we were kids, Mom used to sew big "gold" curtain rings on a red scarf and tie it on our heads so that the rings looked like earrings.

Have Mr. Bia put some patch pockets on a sport coat and carry a pipe: psychologist.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

bia, maybe you could carry a hammer and your partner something shaped like an anvil with a bunch of words taped on it. Then you'd be wordsmiths.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

bia, this may be a huge stretch for you, but if you could manage to sound ditzy - you could go as either Palin or O'Donnell.

I shall once again be QE1, a costume we bought several years ago, cannot begin to tell you how much I dislike dressing but this one isn't to bad.

I believe I have come down with a new syndrome, "Unable to attend BPH meloncholy".

Posted by: dmd3 | October 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

And if the words were written on bendy cardboard or plastic tubes and pasted to the anvil thingy, all the better I guess.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 29, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey... where's Bob S lately?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

bia: "res ipsa loquitur". The thing speaks for itself. Dress normally, put the Latin on a little sign or name tag, and talk a lot. This was my standby at parties for years. Of course, there were a lot of lawyers there.

I too suffer from BPHRallyCholia.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 29, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

How old are you, BIA? Quick-and-easy costumes: If you're not a Boomer, tint your hair white and go as a Boomer. If you are a boomer, darken your hair, wear large glass with black frames, and goes as an X-er or Millenial. Pull out your shirttail and go as an IT geek. Stick a Bluetooth in your ear and go as an undercover Borg. Scotch-take a zipper down your sternum and go as a quad bypass patient. Put a big dog collar around your neck and go as Lisbeth Salander (no one will guess that one). Cover yourself in sackcloth and ashes, and go as either Job or me. (If you go as me, it might help to wear a Robert Redford mask.) I can absolutely guarantee no one will say, "You're Curmudgeon from the Achenblog!" Find a photo online of a sphincter, copy it, blow it way up, print out two copies, pin one to your chest and one to your back, and go as Rush Limbaugh (can be used for other personalities as well, such as Glen Beck, Anne Coulter, Sarah Palin, etc.).

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I see that San Antonio Express-News reporter Abe Levy has stayed on top of the Fiala story:

April 21--the story has four page jumps:

September 4--a fugitive task force and extradition to Texas:

Posted by: laloomis | October 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, all, this is helping. dbG, I love the witch costume, but I don't know that I could pull it off, despite the comments I got on an evaluation from a student one semester. (I was happy to get that accusation, actually, because I was a little worried at the time that I was a pushover. But obviously when that student pushed, I didn't go over.)

Carrying around the cup and saucer could work. I also like the wordsmith idea, except that there will be lots of actual writers there, which either makes it better or worse. Hm.

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

bia, for the ultimate in tastelessness, how about a green jacket (from a thrift shop) smeared with molasses/motor oil and you carry a dead fish? You are the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

You could take a folding chair, sit on it, and tell everyone you are Gilbert Arenas or Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

But not a real green dress. That would be cruel.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

BIA, wear your normal clothes but go commando, and tell everyone you are Lindsey Lohan. Just don't sit down or get up.

Use lipstick or nail polish to put a bunch of red dots all over your face, and go as Dick Cheney's hunting partner.

Spray yourself orange and go as John Boehner.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

And don't forget the old standby, Pajama Zombie. Just pajamas (bunny slippers optional), white face paint or powder, some black or dark green face powder (for under the eyes, cheek hollows, etc), and lots of fake blood. You can be undead in twenty minutes!

CowTown

Posted by: jp1954 | October 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Take one of those boxes canned sodas come in, wear it as a hat and tell everybody you're a Cokehead. (Bonus points to anybody who can tell me where I stole that idea from.)

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

bia -- I can add nothing to the suggestions for a costume. Just have a great time.

Whomever it was who suggested that the "Error in 08" t-shirt might not be exactly in order, I do agree. It's too much of an "in" thing with the Boodle, and it's not worth the time at this point to explain.

I'll try to keep track of things by relaxing in front of the television. Alas, my marching days are over.

Don't know about you guys (well, yeah, I do, really), but I'm really looking forward to having the election over. But I suspect that the run up to 2012 will start the day after, so we're really stuck with this until we die, eh?

Speaking of which, dear Yoki, my beloved Red Wings are losing all over the place and have tumbled and gone *thunk* to last place in their little section. The Pistons are useless. I can only hope that the Lions beat the Redskins on Sunday (and then duck for awhile). We beat them last year. It's time for a repeat, eh?

*muttering expletives because it's just so unfair. . . . . *

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

MsJS, cool article. And I remember reading of her some months ago. Seems like one of those people who do, rather than just complain about that which isn't done. And talk about giving of oneself, making the world a better place, rather than cackling and lobbing verbal grenades in the hopes of scoring points in some twisted game. Glad to see her efforts mentioned in the WSJ.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Yoki, the disastrahoochie costume is great. Given that I'm in a state on the Gulf, the tastelessness may be too much. On the other hand, if the point is to be scary...

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

bia - You can always wear your regular clothes and suggest that you are an undercover cop?

My favorite quick-and-easy costume is simply to dress in a way that obviously doesn't match the occasion. You know, like beachwear. This especially works if you have some hobby or activity that requires special clothing.

If I were in such a situation, I would just put on jeans, a flannel shirt and my shop apron. Then I would perch safety glasses on my head, and a dust mask around my neck. For clarity I would toss some sawdust in my hair. Is there something equivalent you could do?

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Cokehead costume idea is from the Gawker item on hookin' up with Delaware's most famous witch.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Just found out that my Baltimore sister will be at the rally tomorrow and she has friends coming in from out of town to attend as well. I'm hoping we can meet up with them at some point.

In the meantime, here is what you can and cannot take to the rally...

16) What am I allowed to bring to the Rally?
National Park Service Cleared Items to Bring:
Food and beverage (non-alcoholic, no glass)
Small umbrella
Rain poncho
Portable chair
Cameras
Blankets
Small Backpacks
Sunscreen

17) What am I NOT permitted to bring by the National Park Service and what am I requested NOT to bring to the Rally?
No glass containers
No alcoholic beverages
No camping
No tents, canopies, or structures
No knives, blades, hand tools or sharp objects of any length
No firearms (real or simulated)
No ammunition
No explosive devices
No fireworks
No open fires
No coolers
No aerosols
No laser pointers
No mace and/or pepper spray
No helium balloons
No sticks or poles
No packages, large coolers, large bags, duffle bags, suitcases
No animals other than service/guide dogs
No staking of grounds
No digging or trenching
No attachments to existing landscaping

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

We reached consensus at lunch. It doesn't count as a costume to dress up as any modern widespread occupation: doctor, fireman, cop, etc.

Unless you put the word 'sexy' in front of it.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This is good. Pass it on to your friends even if they don't live in Florida.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

No guns? No ammo? Awwwwwwww...

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

yello, would a proctologist count as a widespread occupation?

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm going to go Total Tea Party and take a chair.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, MsJ, glad to know what scrumping is. Reminds me of my covetness of Mrs. Johnson's Queen Anne cherry tree. She did not pick the fruit nor allow us to pick....sigh...and, she really did hobble outside with her version of

you there
scedaddle out of here, the fractal-faster, the better

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

mudge,
Something tells me that was the first specialty that comes to mind. Proctologist as a costume only works if you have a clever doctor name like Ben Dover.

kguy,
Say what you want about her politics, Chrissie the Witch makes a pretty cute ladybug. Far better than her 'date' does as a boy scout.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Bia, duck tape on dark shirt, in horizontal stripes -- prisoner!

I just learned that one prison in the UK is called

Pucklechurch Prison

So, that is where you might have recently escaped from.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Some strange choices here, but many are spot on-

Posted by: kguy1 | October 29, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Newsmaker costume of 2010?

Priest's black frock with a large Italian salami strapped to the loins, underneath the fabric.

Or perhaps do something phallic with the Pope's mitre.

Posted by: laloomis | October 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Actually, y, ob/gyn was the first occupation I thought of as widespread, but I feared that if I wrote that, certain people might take offense. So I went with my second choice.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This community service message:

Begins November 1. Someday, I imagine that the boodle will be novelized, as a first step to a series, not unlike a mashup of

The Office
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Malcolm in the Middle

I cast Ray Romano as Joel but he must sign a contract to NOT WHINE or WHINGE as those darling Brits say. Example sentence:

Wenda was want to whinge whist whimpering over the wandering of her whompus (caddy or katty- ) welp of a Weimaraner.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

CquaP, I love that the Brits say/write "whilst." So cute of them. But I still tell American freshmen to get over themselves when they try to use it in their papers.

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh Bia, me too. But, when Yoki says whilst, I melt, melt, melt.

Bia, we spoke about this fab Stephen Fry 6.5 minute clip today about correctness as a choice and strategy, not blind obedience to rules.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

facepalm of shame, shame

WHILST not WHIST but whist is bery, bery britty too.

Bia, tape a winning poker hand on the back of a t-shirt...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Thanks for the reminder; I have that bookmarked but haven't played it for my class yet. Next Thursday will be perfect, as they recover from Tuesday's test.

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi all!

I doubt my ankle will allow me to attend the rally (hubby carried me from the football game a few weeks ago, and I doubt he'll be willing to repeat), so I'll offer up my Rosie the Riveter costume: denim shirt w/sleeves rolled, loose cuffed jeans, red and white polkadot fabric for headwrap. Optional lunchbox. Sensible shoes are perfect. :)

Posted by: MoftheMountain | October 29, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Celebritolgy names the laziest costumes:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I *love* that Stephen Fry vimeo, CqP! It's perfecto.

TBG, as I'll be watching on the telly, do wave. I promise to wave back.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

One year (I think he was in 5th grade) Son of G dressed up as a telephone lineman for Halloween. He had found an old C&P Telephone (our pre-Verizon local Bell) jacket in a thrift shop and added a C&P logo to a hard hat. He added some jingly keys and tools to his belt.

But when he got to school he realized that instead of dressing up for Halloween, the political-correctness police had dictated that it was actually "Storybook Character Day."

So he told them he was The Phone Book.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

>Portable chair

if one can carry it, it is portable, no? Even if takes >1 person?

So take a Laz-e Boy. Might as well be comfortable.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 29, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand that Stephen Fry rant. Yeah, yeah, yeah... another writer who resents a good editor. He forgets... we're the ones who make him look good.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Excellent SoG anecdote, TBG!!! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I hear you, TBG, and I still mark their papers...but, perhaps that can see some of this as a choice rather than a bludgeon...and yes, editors save people from themselves all the time...you save me once or twice....

Of course, some people reFUSE to be edited... Iris Murdoch and J.K. Rowling come to mind, as their books took on a life of their own.

Dodging the produce lobbed my way....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

...and the the winner of today's WaPo Stupid Headline Contest is...

[drum roll]

"This is not your father's Supreme Court"

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I only toss bouquets of roses at you, CqP.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Mudge, loovveee the roses. Now, I can truly say, that I walk upon rose petal, so beloved am I!

Does this mean you agree with me a teensey weensey on those WHO WILL NOT SUBMIT to editing?

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, y'all.

I'm typing weakly as I've been very sick with some stomach bug for two days and even water barely stays down. Managed to back-boodle this kit and it's fun to read of all your plans ... I'll be watching and with you in spirit. And will someone please go and jumprope with a Muslim for me?;)

CqP, I'll play paper dolls with you any time. I think I even have a book of Victorian era ones on the shelf, uncut.
And yes, I am rather steam punkie.

Great weekend to all!

Posted by: talitha1 | October 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which part. Yes, it is a choice, not a bludgeon. No, if it's a choice, it's always the wrong one. Everyone needs an editor.

People here have the option of not being edited. They are always wrong, 100% of the time. They take the option because they think their ---- doesn't stink.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

What came before steampunk? Burningcow-pattypunk? Whaleoilpunk? Coalpunk?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, allow me to offer amendment #1 to your 2:49. Everyone needs a *good* editor (please note, I include you and TBG in this category). I think just about everyone has had their relatively adequate writing bludgeoned by a ham-handed editor at one time or another. I had one mangle my formatting so badly I had to copy and paste into a new document to fix it.

Posted by: Raysmom | October 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, before then, punk was punk with no adjective...all other punks, including punk qua punk (circa 60s,70s, through now) is really a neopunk that they, punkers, refuse to acknowledge as not new.

Off to store...then workie workie until the happy hour per usual...then back to workie, workie...am hoping to crash the post RallyBPH bikewise, but am not optimistic ...must may hay on this hay farm with the sun shiny in the sky she is...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Talitha -- Frosti and I will be over to play paper dollies soon..mine are in PeeChee folders by family....apparently Frosti has the magnetic press-by-static ones...I WANT TO BE FROSTI WHEN I GROW LITTLE...

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading a very long brief right now and wish the authoring attorney had a competent editor. The writing isn't so bad, but the attorney has come up with some ideas to challenge the law which, I presume, are held to be very clever. They aren't. They're tedious. They also pretty directly conflict with other claims made elsewhere in the brief. That's okay, none of them are winners so far, so internal conflict won't affect the outcome.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

And before *that,* it was just steam.

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I despair of our species.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 29, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

That's interesting, TBG. I didn't hear it as an attack on editors, but rather as an attack on the tsk tsk-ers who rejoice in finding grammatical errors as evidence of their own (social, educational, moral?, etc.) superiority to others, with no regard for the context of the language use and the ways that different styles/usages/dialects/constructions have varying appropriateness depending on different contexts and communicative intentions. Like people who think a country singer is ignorant and setting a bad example for the children for singing, "She done me wrong" (no, no, "She did badly by me!").

I like the analogy with clothing (which he didn't invent, of course) -- different styles of dress are appropriate in different situations, for different people, and the style choices that individuals make are informed by their backgrounds and can lead to them being judged by others in social situations. And some people have more knowledge of how to dress appropriately in a formal situation. An editor is the stylist who helps you figure out how to present yourself most effectively. Sure can be useful. The tsk tskers are like that column by George Will where he said that no one should ever wear jeans.

(It's been a while since my last anti-prescriptivist rant, no? I guess I was due.)

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Raysmom, amendment #1 accepted. I sort of implied "good." Sort of like saying everyone needs to eat and sleep; the notion of adequacy and similar modifiers are built into it. So, yes, basically everyone needs TBG or me. (If given a choice, take TBG. I tend to be...well. somewhat crusty and curmudgeonly. However, I am quite flexible and permissive, editorially speaking and perhaps a few other ways as well. You may end sentences with prepositions, smoke on the premises while my wife is not around, and I accept all major credit cards. I cannot speak to TBG's peccadiloes and policies. Significantly more of her parts are working than mine are. We are both good cooks, if that matters. A modest gratuity is always appreciated. Have a 100-bottle wine closet fully stocked, and three bottles of really, really excellent gin on the premises. No house pets.)

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

YAY, bia! I completely agree with you (and on Fry's rant).

Ivansmom -- I can't tell you how many times I've read contracts (from very, very large (well, *huge* multinational) corporations) that are so bad, they offend toilet paper. And briefs from the other side are sometimes so bad, I alternately burst out laughing and watch my head explode.

Makes for aggravation with a modicum of fun thrown in. I have been told that my sarcasm coefficient tends to be pretty high when I draft pleadings, but for a first draft it works for me -- at least to get it out of my system and tone it down before filing.

*faxing ginger tea to talitha*

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I do hope there is a better reason for this than just being cautious. Our fighter jets have been known to scramble for some dubious reasons.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I am free from editors (other than my spouse) and therefore free to engage in wanton misspellings, grammatical errors, and dangling participles.

Hah! Don't tread on moi!

Posted by: jp1954 | October 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

kguy, the article doesn't really mention it, but I wonder if she felt any remorse? I doubt it if she took a smoke break and then shook him again for good measure. Just terrible.

Posted by: MoftheMountain | October 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree that George Will should never wear jeans. However, the two of us probably disagree over bow ties.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Well if you consider self-poisoning by tobacco to be a sign of remorse, maybe. But I doubt it.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 29, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

kguy, I just read that article. I am stunned. And speechless.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

*faxin' the server some Dulcolax to free up any further blocked double posts* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd apologize for the double post...except i don't think it was me who did it.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | October 29, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll try to end the week on a happier note-

I particularly liked his theory of redistribution of hair.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, recent legislation requires the National Park Service to abide by local gun laws, so if this weekend's Mall rally were held in Virginia, everyone could come armed. Or something like that.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 29, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Supremes just hold the DC gun law to be unconstitutional? Are motorized scooters allowed, or is that just for Beck rallies?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 29, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Popular folk-pop musical group, The Weepies, will be performing at Falls Church VA at The State Theatre on November 11. They're really quite good, and it's refreshing to go to a live show where the audience hushes so they can listen to the music.

Posted by: jp1954 | October 29, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

So, it appears that Meg Whitman thinks that her ex-housekeeper should be deported.

Words fail me yet again. . . . .

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Geekdottir is here! She's baking us a pineapple upside-down cake and made brownies to take tomorrow. I just made a two-sided sign that says "We Have Cookies" and "Free Sign Editing."

We're waiting for Bad Sneakers and "S" to make it through the storm that is DC rush-hour traffic.

I can sympathize with writers who don't want an editor editor, but every writer needs a copy editor, whether they think they do or not. Even editors can use copy editors.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, how about house rabbits? She has a good ear for language.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

TBG, I agree with you on the copy editing part. At our firm, we're small enough that everyone of us has the others review the pleadings before they're filed for three things: typos (definitely!), arguments and argument flow. It's an excellent review. I've seen pleadings that are simply awful and I don't know any self-respecting attorney can actually file something like that. It's an insult to the court.

Have a wonderful time tomorrow everyone. Wish I could be there. The weather is supposed to be terrific, too. I'll be with you in spirit.

Posted by: ftb3 | October 29, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

The rally sounds fabulous, but at least as good is the pajama party at the G's. (The Gs'? Can I have an editor's judgment, please?) I wanna go!

Posted by: -bia- | October 29, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, everybody needs a primary reader before exposing it all to the public before they have a chance to think twice. Sometimes even after they do think twice and do it anyway.

But Stephen Fry was talking as much about speech itself as he spoke about writing. I agree with Bias on what Fry meant. I also admit I get very ticked off at bad astrophization and other things that signal the decline of literacy, but even so, I loved his rant.

Some words fail me at the sheer offensive content I saw today. Moving on, though.

Thanks to all the idea-bombing, though, I did decide to change my costume last minute. Thank god for basic art skills, I have a fox mask and tail now. Simple. Orange. Goes with a hound.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 29, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

This is crazy,

Posted by: dmd3 | October 29, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

That woman broke her hip and later died. I tend to agree that they do have a case, even if they might not win it.

I'll let the lawyers comment on this.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 29, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Newsmaker costume of the year? Slow reader, huh? There was an earthquake in Haiti, healthcare reform, leaders killed in plane crashes both here in the US and abroad, an oil spill, a bunch of miners stuck underground.

Maybe you can lift your skirt, go as the Helotes Mulch Fire (attribution for this I'm guessing isn't required).

Posted by: LostInThought | October 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Some excellent Halloween parallels between politics, the election and Charlie Brown Christmas specials. My quick mashup.

Rove: Tonight John Boehner, the Great Pumpkin, will rise out of the midterm elections. He flies through the air and brings toys to all the major GOP campaign donors of the world.
Sally Brown: That's a good story.
Rove: You don't believe the story of the Great Pumpkin? I thought little girls always believed everything that was told to them. I thought little girls were innocent and trusting.
Sally Brown: Welcome to the 21st century!

How about this?

Rove: On election night, the Great Pumpkin rises from his pumpkin patch and flies through the air with his bag of toys to all the GOP committee chairmen.

Or this?

Rove: Each election, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that to hire the lobbyist he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a lobbyist can be more sincere than this one. Heck, I even donated to Christine O'Donnell! You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see.

Posted by: baldinho | October 29, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Very well done, baldinho!! *applause*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 29, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of copy editors, or the lack thereof, this story online has the headline "Rangers stay lose after 0-2 start":

If I had a nickel for every time I see "loose" misspelled as "lose", I'd be a billionaire. Don't often see it the other way round.

Oh, and I love "whilst"! I ran across a software manual which had been written in England, and it was rife with "whilst". (Yes, I know I'm doing the quotes with ending punctuation incorrectly, American-style, but the British rule makes more sense to me. So there.)

Have a great time rallying!

Posted by: seasea1 | October 29, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Rallying-friends, I'll be glued to Twitter.

Posted by: Yoki | October 29, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

That is absolutely perfect, jack.

I'm hearing heavy-gauge socket-wrench, though I can't see it so I'll not swear to it.

Thank you, dear friend.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

i found an electric take of the same ditty. the acoustic is far more powerful. likewise for born in the usa. mr. springsteen, once touted as the next bob dylan, imho, is there. thus, according to the rules, whoever the artist is, would occupy the first rank at #3

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Listen to the original CD of the Seeger Sessions by Springsteen, jack. I think you'll feel better.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

yeah. 17mm.

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

That, yes. Good night, Boodle.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

never knew of the seeger sessions. *very* cool. affirmation, for me, anyway, that there is an arguable tie for the top spot among american singer/songwriters. contextual interpretations say it all.
like this:

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

'zackly like that. Now I sob, a little bit.

Posted by: Yoki | October 30, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

same time, different channel, quintessential david crosby

Posted by: -jack- | October 30, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

hey everyone! been too busy with work. jack, that was a big selection for me this morning. I very much appreciate your post. It's dark outside, quiet in the house as I get ready to run out and work today.

For those of you going to the marathon or the Sanity rally (or Fear) ... have a great time!

Posted by: russianthistle | October 30, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

In this video, Bruce seems to be loosing a little of his touch with the common man:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm not quite fully caffeinated, but anyway...

Anyone else wondering why Philip Rucker had to go to deep backwoods Kentucky to tell us there's a deeply ignorant, intolerant segment of the voting population? I mean, haven't we had plenty of Tea Party coverage already? *shrug*

Forecast looks fine for today, just remember a windbreaker as Jon suggested! Sunny, low 60s with a breeze. Hope to see as many Boodlers as possible @ the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro stop around 11!

*off-to-the-final-preparations-with-a-fair-amount-of-giddy-anticipation Grover waves* :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

If you think political ads are vicious right now, you should have been around in 1800:

Unless, perhaps you were.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

And if we miss you at the Rally, feel free to show up at McCormick and Schmicks on K Street (two blocks north of the White House, NOT the one in the Penn Quarter) after the rally.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Canadians Want Our Women:

Keep Fear Alive.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I would suggest the feeling's mutual in many cases, yello... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and it was such a hoot seeing Stiller & Meara on the "Daily Show" rerun last night! *L*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 30, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Boodlies!
The only thing I miss here are the BPHs. Have a good time, everyone. I´ll be with you in spirit.

Over here, spring is supposed to resume today after snow and a freezing night. In my building the heating has been turned off for a month. Brrrr.

Brag :)

Posted by: Braguine | October 30, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. ftb3, your comment concerning writing so bad that it offends toliet paper entitles you to the trophy for being a vacation! I know my neighhbor thinks I have lost my mind. I got very vocal when I read that. Funny!

We have our annual Seaboard Festival today, and God willing, the weather should be fine. The church will have a Fall Festival later in the day.

Those of you attending the rally and BPH in the District, have a good time. I'll be thinking of you.

Slyness, it's cold this morning, very cold compared to what the temps have been for last couple of days. Good walking weather. Get some rest today so you'll be ready for next week.

Have a fantastic day, folks, and love to all.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 30, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

A funny guide to what else there is to see in DC if you've gone to all the real stuff:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, WaPo has issued a policy which would probably prohibit Joel himself from joining us:

///Events, like those organized by Glenn Beck or involving Jon Stewart and Steven [sic] Colbert, are political, and therefore Post newsroom employees may not participate. By participate, we mean that Post newsroom employees cannot in any way put themselves in a position that could be construed as supporting (or opposing) that cause. That means no T-shirts, buttons, marching, chanting, etc. This guideline does not prohibit Post newsroom employees from observing—that is, watching and listening from the sidelines. The important thing is that it should be evident to anyone that you are observing, as journalists do, not participating, whether you are covering the event or not.///

I fully intent to march, chant, wave signs, and possibly wear q silly hat. So there, stick-in-the-mud no-fun WaPo general manager.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Big breakfast today for the rally. Bacon, sausage patties, eggs, fresh strawberries and/or sliced bananas, orange and grapfruit juices, banana bread, English muffins w/ butter and blackberry jam, and coffee.

I baked ginger cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday. Will put them out mid-morning.

Posted by: MsJS | October 30, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

As opposed to the far more reasonable Washington City Paper policy:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 30, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

*inserting earplugs and chuckling politely*

Posted by: MsJS | October 30, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Those of you going in search of your sanity (or whatever) today, enjoy yourselves and be safe! Keep an eye out for my folks who I believe were planning to attend.

MsJs, I'm in love with the breakfast offering, thank you.

Posted by: cowhand214 | October 30, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

As Cassandra notes from nearby, the weather's such that mosquitoes are challenged today. I hope they die. Today's chill suggests an experiment with bacon grease and crumbles of bacon in a choc chip cookie recipe experiment. I think I'll hold off, however. A small fire in the fireplace may be in order though. Talk about no fall, this year is turning into a real example.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 30, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Jumper

Me two!! Now if we could just get rid of the flies!!

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 30, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Great back-boodling here this morning. Yoki and jack's music was terrific, I'm loaded up from MsJS's breakfast and having fun reading the City Paper. I've got to remember to check in with them more often.

Settling in now for the rally marathon via television. Hope some boodler there gets a chance to post here sometime during the event or the BPH later.

Great Saturday to all!

Posted by: talitha1 | October 30, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

New Kit! Joel reports 2 billion people attend the Rally/BPH. Yeaaahh!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 30, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

welcome to our website:
====( http://www.ebay21.com / )====

Q u al i t y is our D i g n i t y; Service is our Lift.

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33