Grand Isle, offseason, after the spill

Yesterday I flew to New Orleans and drove down to Grand Isle to see what's left of the oil spill. Hardly a soul around. It's offseason, and, moreover, it's the offseason after the no-season, or barely-a-season. The beach is still closed at Port Fourchon and Elmer's Island, and most of Grand Isle is closed behind orange plastic fencing. I saw a palm tree wrapped in crime scene tape. A few families, scattered a mile apart, braved the water on a chilly day. The beach is dark here even without oil; I couldn't see any crude, but I might have found some if I had remembered to pack my shovel.

In the sports bar, by the way, I was the only person, male or female, without a tattoo or an extended-cab pickup parked outside.

I saw one guy in a BP oil clean up crew shirt, sitting on a bench. There are still tents and pavilions and fenced-off areas, but there are hardly any people to be seen, and certainly no media. And if you didn't know better, you would think that we had imagined the whole thing.

What's just getting started, though, is the legal fight. This will take years. I'm at the Holiday Inn in Metairie, where the Coast Guard and BOEM are holding more hearings on what happened and why. This is free discovery for the lawyers, most of whom are probably used to staying at the Ritz or the Four Seasons and who may be asking for combat pay because of the budget digs by the freeway. I am trying to figure out who, precisely, is going to sue whom (did I get that right? always a high wire act for me), and I think the best guess is that everyone is going to sue everyone else. You've got a Justice Department investigation, potential scaled-up fines for the spill, class action suits in the wings, even people suing the boats that answered the Mayday call and sprayed sea water on the rig (some say that sank it -- major bone of contention this week). And the companies are accusing each other of being to blame for what happened. In one subplot, Anadarko, a minority investor in the well, says BP was so reckless that Anadarko shouldn't be liable for its normal share of the fine. BP has other ideas about that.

I think these lawyers are going to get to know each other very well over the coming years.

By Joel Achenbach  | October 4, 2010; 5:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deepwater Horizon and technological catastrophes
Next: Suddenly, high-maintenance

Comments

Hey Joel. Did you see Joe Barton down there? How is the progress on the berms? Did they stop the oil?

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, -of course- everyone's going to sue everyone else. I might consider getting into the act myself, see if anyone's willing to pay me six or seven figures just to go away.

Posted by: MsJS | October 4, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Ooohhh.. MsJS... how about a Boodle Class Action Suit?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

It's still too early to say that Louisiana's escaped having a hurricane this year, but the clock's running out pretty fast.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Gosh yes, TBG, the more the merrier!

Posted by: MsJS | October 4, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Mr. A, please define "chilly day." According to Yahoo! weather, it got to 73 today in Grand Isle. We in TWC hestitate to call that "chilly," so I'm looking for a frame of reference.

Posted by: MsJS | October 4, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ms, perhaps you can get the lawsuit settlement a more traditional way? How about making pretend you are a CNN reporter and visiting James O'Keefe?

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer drawn-out justice to some end run around it.

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 4, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Chilly is indeed relative. We just dodged the frost bullet two days in a row but the next few days look good; the hibiscus are getting out of the garage.

It's nice to see that corporations are reaping near-record profits in this economy. At least not everyone is suffering. Note that re-tooling in this case doesn't means buying new machine tools. It means laying off personnel and lowering costs in general. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704523604575511864156149040.html

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 4, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

shrieking, you forgot to mention the dropping of health coverage, too.

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

baldinho, I'm middle-aged, overweight, and a wheelie. Any legal action involving sax would get laughed outta court.

No, I'm considering some sort of victim-laden 'pain & suffering' angle. That way I can use my physical appearance to advantage.

*removing tongue from cheek*

Posted by: MsJS | October 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

No high speed rail for Florida. Our next governor, Republican Rick Scott, will shut down the project to build a line from Orlando to Tampa, mostly in the I-4 right of way.

This will be the second time it's happened. Governor Jeb Bush pulled the rug out from under a project that would have connected Tampa, Orlando, and Miami.

Maybe some other state can use the $1.25 billion in federal funds.

And so much for the state's demand that whoever gets to build the project has to build a train factory in Florida.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

baldinho - I'd forgotten how much I like that Blind Melon song & video (from the tail end of the last 'boodle). Thanks.

And with the publication of the Milbank book and all the loose talk it's stirred up, it may well be time to reiterate that I have no confidence that Glenn Beck raped and killed a young girl in 1990.

I'm just saying.

[Sorry. I know that's very sick. But ole Glenn ain't well either.]

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

There's always the Boodle's pain and suffering from JA having been diverted from a proper Kit schedule to cover the disastrahoochie. Gotta get "disastrahoochie" into the complaint, for sure.

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

O'Keefe is a piece of work. He should have been arrested by now. How he gets any attention is an indictment of something. His ACORN 'expose' was a fraud and he tried to enter a congresswoman's office by impersonating a telephone service worker.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 4, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I've stayed in the Holiday in Metairie. Or at least some Holiday Inn near Metairie. I was motorcycling from Sacramento to Atlanta (by way of Monterey, Mexico) and a tornado-ridden thunderstorm in and north of Lake Ponchartrain caused me to detour back south and through New Orleans. Oh, darn.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Monterrey, Bob. Monterey's in Alta California.

Siemens is doing an elaborate touring show for its proposal for Florida high speed rail. First stop is this week at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) in Tampa.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm having fun imagining all the lawyers congregating around the ice machine at the Holiday Inn. Better yet, they're hanging at one end of that sportsbar glaring at the tattooed regulars down at the other end. Joel is sitting on the middle stool filtering the vibes.

Posted by: talitha1 | October 4, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

You describe a surreal scene Joel. It reminds me a bit of the day after a circus has left town. It makes me wonder just how much of the sturm and drang was rooted in the desire to use the spill as a means to an end.

That is, how many people were really interested in exploiting the oil spill to attack Obama, or Capitalist Greed, or any of the other ancillary causes about which they truly care. And now that the spill has lost this power, the only thing that seems to excite people is lucrative litigation.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 4, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Bob-S,
I don't believe that about Glenn Beck either, but he never just comes out and denies it. What does he have to lose by just refuting these ugly rumors?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 4, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Ciudad Monterrey, si! In fact, at the beginning of the trip, I had swung through Monterey. I coasted it all the way down to Oceanside, cut over to see my grandfather in Fallbrook, down to San Diego, THEN finally headed east across the desert. Fun trip. There are some interesting folks out there. And lots of coyotes.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling like the day after the circus about the Tampa rail project. I'd thought its advocates, knowing the dismal past, had done everything necessary to ensure that at least we'd have a sort of modernistic-futuristic theme park ride from Disney to Busch Gardens.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the Financial Times was breathlessly pointing out how Florida was insisting that rail cars for its new trains be manufactured within the state. It looked a little dubious if only seven trains were to be built for the Tampa-Orlando run but might turn into a big deal if rail caught on.

Nope.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Bob, the Blind Melon song is weird on so many levels. First of all, it is a good song. Second, the video is excellent, but surprisingly upbeat for the actual lyrics of the song.

Blind Melon put that out in the only era of my travels that could be considered swinging bachelorhood. I didn't exactly swing, but I was running with an office of very social guys in Saratoga, NY. It just kind of fits as a good reminder to the fun during track time drinking buckets of OV splits.

All in all, a good tune.

As far as companies dropping health care coverage, I have no doubt that the new law will increase red tape and make things trickier, but the idea that the bill will force any corporation to drop coverage is silly. They will drop it if they were looking to drop it anyway, and don't mind trying to blameshift from themselves to the government.

Any company worth anything will keep coverage, out of pure necessity. Who would ever work for a place that didn't have it when they could work for a competitor that did?

I realize there are many industries that don't cover now, and some that are low-wage industries that will drop it now or soon. They would have dropped it anyway. McDonalds, I am looking at you.

I was hoping for a health care reform bill that actually set up a more spartan but more universally available stand-alone system. That is where we will end up eventually. My thought was to make the move sooner rather than later.

My company is pushing us to high-deductible plans with health savings accounts. I think that is the way of the near future, so I guess I will put my money where my mouth is and embrace the change.

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

The new winner of the best comment on a sports blog ever.

Yahoo! ran a story about a rookie on the Pittsburgh Pirates who played this weekend wearing the Spanish version of the jersey. It read "Piratas" instead of "Pirates". They blog showed pictures, including shots of the guy late in the game after he noticed and put on the real thing.

Commenter #2 had the line of of the year.... "Piratas? It should have said Pinatas."

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Warning to hydroelectric power plant operators on the lower Connecticut River: incoming!

Vermont was the New England state that got the worst of it rainwise this past week. The deluge hit the Connecticut River valley area pretty hard.... and during the pumpkin harvest.

100,000 of them washed into the river from Newbury alone.

Posted by: baldinho | October 4, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I've got a pretty sweet health plan (that I've never used) right now. They're paying almost $6000 per year for my coverage as a single dude, I contribute nothing out of pocket, and I'm told that the co-pays are pretty minimal. I'm greatly appreciative that they're maintaining that level of coverage.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they dropped the coverage entirely and got those exchanges cranked up. I know that our little organization of sixteen employees is joined to a consortium of employers purchasing coverage, but I still find it hard to believe that they're getting the kind of volume discount that should become available on broad-based insurance exchanges.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Joel. Although I have nothing at all against Ink, I would suggest you not get a half-sleeve just to fit in. Same goes for the real big truck.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 4, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks the FSM Florida escaped this collectivization of the means of transport DotC. Next on the list was collectivization of the means of production then collectivization of property. The next and fourth Horseman was, of course, Enlightened Dictatorship of the People.
Those people in their SUV crawling along Florida highways don't know how close they ever came to being serfs of the All Powerful State.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 4, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck needs to save the US from Deutsche Bahn, which lures German businesspeople from their BMWs and Benzes.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, obviously the Massengill people would want to weigh in on any discussions of Deutsche Bahn.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Did I say that I'm nearly fifty? I meant nearly fifteen.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 4, 2010 5:10 PM
Boredom can be a great motivator...
[Anagrams for "Tea Party Republicans"
A ripe blatancy erupts.
Yep, a cabal interrupts...]

...but you missed a few of the best ones:

A capable trusty rep
Lippy runts acerbate
A yup, trips elect an arab
A yup, Earl bet NCAA trips
A yup, Alan bet race trips
A Rusty Balance Tipper

...and these:
Anagrams for "Leftist Democrat"
A defect mort. list
A closet fred mitt
Milt at SEC=FED rot
Tilt at SEC=deform
Milt at SEC for Ted
SEC loft dirt at me
FED at SEC 'TIL MORT

...so Bobs, you believe in that old socialist maxim that government can defy the gravity of stupidity, and make up in volume what they lack in profit?

Interested where you can find an example of that working, Maryland maybe, profit has been outlawed there, how's that going. Think they'll make it to 2014, and how many lives @ dozens a day according to Steyny Whoyer, will we lose 'til then? Grayson says republicans are killing thousands a day, when did WE regain the super majority?

yellojk...

Refuting rumors feeds the fire, like shadow boxing, you wear yourself out and never land a blow, just get all hot and bothered and lose focus...maybe that's the plan, boss...

Not all theories are conspiracies, but behind every conspiracy theory there is a conspiracy, eh?

DaveoftheCoonties ,

...The FED has funds? $1.25 Billion? I thought they were printing PFA money as fast as they can just to keep up with the dollar's fall...oh well if they have it, it ain't Jeb's, it's my money and I need cash now! I want my share back of the stimulus, my job's gone and No-jobs Biden says it ain't comin' back...

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Advance notice: Big opportunities are coming up in providing easily-searchable analyses of competing health plans. Whoever does this well (hint: it probably ain't gonna be the government!) is going to make a mint.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

RichNomore - I believe that you believe that the current legislature and administration are pursuing misguided strategies, and that changing personnel and direction will help. I hope you're right.

Am I incorrect about your beliefs?

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

[..so Bobs, you believe in that old socialist maxim that government can defy the gravity of stupidity, and make up in volume what they lack in profit?]

Maybe that should be: they make up in volume what you and me lack in profit...

...anybody seen my share of the profit? Or yours? Guess when they spread the lack of profit around thin enough, they think WE won't miss it.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

And I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this, but what part of "It wouldn't bother me a bit if they dropped the coverage entirely and got those exchanges cranked up." [i.e. people should buy their own damned insurance] sounds like socialism to you?

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Cheap Eats report
$7.59 on Sunday bought Brussels sprouts and beets at the farmers market, brown rice, a half dozen eggs, 3 bananas, a very small bit of granola (from the bulk bin) 4 baby bella mushrooms and 12 oz of plain Greek yogurt.
Sunday breakfast-1 apple and a peanut butter granola bar (free from Saturday's post-5k offerings). Not a great start for eating well, but it was free.
Lunch- Oven roasted beets and sprouts. Drizzled olive oil ( $0.15) and balsamic vinegar ($0.10) over the veggies before popping in the oven at 375 for 35 minutes. (I put foil over the pan for the first 20 minutes so I guess they're really steaming first, then roasting)
Dinner-2 eggs scrambled with 1 diced mushroom topped with grated Parmesan ($0.30)
Monday-
Breakfast- banana split. 1/2 banana topped with a mixture of diced rhubarb (free from cousin's garden, stored in freezer) and honey (free from neighbor bee keeper) topped with 2oz of Greek yogurt and
a sprinkling of granola. Truth be told, the rhubarb was a little stringy and would have been better made into a sauce but I didn't have time.
Lunch-brown fried rice (soy sauce and oyster sauce $0.45)with egg, onion ($0.50) and mushroom.
Dinner- left over fried rice.

So far I have not been eating nearly as well as last year. Time really does =$ so far. I'm going fishing tomorrow morning and am going to trade some coneflower and day lily divisions for some new potatoes, lettuce and green beans from a neighbor's garden. It's premature to plan on eating fish, but at least I'll have some greens without going over budget.

Spent so far- $9.09

Posted by: frostbitten1 | October 4, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Pretty soon, Deutsche Bahn will be running trains into London. Who knows, maybe their next project could be to transport investment bankers between Manhattan and Connecticut and/or the Hamptons. Gekko Train.

Thinking of Germania, Spiegel has a story on completion of a project to reanalyze Ptolemy's "Geography" for Germania. Modern cartography applied to, among other things, an especially good manuscript from Istanbul, along with a better-known one from the Vatican. It's now possible to apply Roman place names to a lot more present-day German towns.

Rediscovery of Ptolemy was a Big Deal during the Renaissance. The fabulous Waldseemuller Map at the Library of Congress deliberately presented Ptolemaic Europe in the context of the most recent info on newly-discovered lands or new mapping info beyond Ptolemy's range. Walseemuller would have loved the new scholarship on Germania, since one of his objectives was to promote German leadership of the world.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 4, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

No, what has been pursued is every bit of power through confiscation of both financial machinery and machinery of production and that is un-lawful by any standard applied from the constitution, and that, my friend, is ill-gotten gains. No money spent or given under those circumstances can in any way be used for good. It's like GMO seeds it only grows mutated plants if at all, and nutrition suffers. America is starving because this neo-capitalist pig cabal has sated itsef at OUR expense. Not extreme except in the understanding that knowledge brings.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I bought a twelver of cheap beer ($5.89) and some turkey pepperoni ($2.10). I made a pizza from ingredients already in-house. It was tasty. I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

So, Mr. Nomore, do you or do you not believe that most people should (as they do now) receive health care through government-subsidized employee-provided plans?

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

...no regrets,

The US of America had, (before Bob and Ted and Harry, et al, said not so fast you sheeple, we know better and you will comply). Now nobody knows or can know just what is coming and my friend that is not right or Right or Left, just plain Wrong.

When something is wrong in America and those WE send to fix things do even more wrong, it is up to US to Right that wrong. OUR disagreements have purposely been acerbated by them so as to create even more confusion and disagreement while the Nation's Treasure is pidddled away in just Three Short Years. Time just drags doesn't it when nobody's having fun? If they had just let US have even a little hope they weren't all completely loony.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

RNM/lal, Are you really that far from any city, any educated people, shoot, a newspaper? Maybe a library? Even a prison's got one of those. You choose offensive and divisive language, you ignore facts, you use innuendo and wild speculation like they're paint guns, and you make unbelievable leaps between completely unrelated things. Jack Nicholson said it well...Sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Fine, RNm. Your complaints are more general, and you have no interest in discussing specific issues. I can respect that, at least temporarily.

But eventually, specific solutions to specific problems have to be implemented. And if the problems were easy, they'da been solved already.

I'm just saying.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

What that was meant to convey is America had it all., but now 50% of it has been put in a trustee's lock-box by people WE don't, neither should WE trust. Yes WE will settle for it back to where it was. Da**ed Right. In lieu of that WE will settle for having the trust back, and WE will work OUR keister's bare making up the difference, just like WE have before. I sense the only real difference between U 'n Me is WHO DO YOU TRUST, and WHY.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The latest issue is like your keister everybody's got one. Then there are the rumors, unsubtantiated claims, etc. By the time you work your way through that pile the rest of the $15,000,000,000,000 will be spoken for, and WE all know the loudest, earliest, and most vote-worthy speakers get the worms. Who knows where the rest of it is? All question I don't see very good answers for, and the head answerers got nothing.

Example:

28,000,000 people in 14,000,000 households are more at risk now than two years ago and WE are told that poverty is even worse as well add that to it and....

Administration Strokesmouth Tele-Tubby Gibbs says Americans abroad are clueless, unaware of their surroundings, and need to stand up, wake up, look down, look left, not right, but don't profile or they will be investigated along with Sheriff Arpaio and prosecuted to the fullest by Eric 'got to know when to Fold'em, know when to' Holder'em when they get home, if they get home?

What a joke. Everytime the Excuses/Apoligizer in Chief loses another point in the DNCNN Poll-Cat Dynamics Rating, there's another alert trotted out, remember how they laughed at GWB when he held the alert above yellow?

Where is Helen Thomas when we need her, was that age discrimination or just discrimination that brought her down?

Apparently answers aren't as important as the right questions, but We are not getting either.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

...and don't give me, be more sensitive to poor RG. Y'all know he wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in the GWB Press Room. Says something about Helen T. when she was the first to go, publicly that is.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

...Where's Arie Fleischer when WE need him, you can bet there'd be some Q n' A if he were in the hot seat now.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

RNm, what I've never quite understood about your colorfully intricate contributions to the conversation here is the assumption that I trust anybody in particular. And that it's somebody you don't trust.

You know who I trust? People who are getting things done. I'm also willing to offer up some conditional trust to people who present a believable plan about how they're going to get things done, because if I'm going to change horses, I've got to pick a horse somehow.

Who I don't trust much are folks who tell me that my life sucks (which is true enough) and therefore I should trust them. WTF!?

Tell me that Obama & his socialist cohort are spending my retirement money & my (theoretical) descendants' money like drunken sailors. Fine, I'll grant you that.

Tell me that bailing out banks, car companies, and foreign despots is probably much like pumping mud into a blown Gulf oil well cut-off device. You'll get no strong counterarguments here.

Heck, tell me that the social fabric of my native country has changed dramatically over my lifetime, and that many of the things that I've always taken for granted can no longer stand as the beacons along my path, and I'll say, "Yes, you're right. It's distressing, but definitely true."

But having told me all of that, what the heck is your plan? Because the stomping of feet & the gnashing of teeth doesn't change a darned thing. I'm groovy with changing paths, if I've got some idea that the new path leads somewhere useful. But "they are bad, WE are good" just doesn't quite cut it.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 4, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I should mention that I am at a scientific meeting Pasadena, CA this week. Any Left Coast boodlers who would like to do a mini-BPH should let me know -- use my full and proper name, ScienceTim, in your reply -- it will make it easier for me to search the Boodle and find it. Seeing as how I'm at a meeting and all, I probably will be not-so-careful in reading the Boodle word-for-word.

Posted by: ScienceTim | October 4, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

...Jeez Bob, get rid of the planners, they are the one's responsible for maintaining the fabtic...so we're agreed that something has gone wrong. I'm already doin' my plannin', but that's as far as it goes for an individual...

Posted by: RichNomore | October 4, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Theoretically, the idea of blowing up the whole system and starting from scratch is seductive. And from a personal perspective as a brighter-than-average white dude who has few heavy financial obligations and a long history as being valued by employers (in disparate fields of endeavour) as more productive than the average bear, I've got little to lose in vast upheavals of that sort.

But is that really a viable plan? Seems like it's gonna be a hard sell to most folks, once they understand the plan.

But I'm game!

Posted by: Bob-S | October 5, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps I've misunderstood RichNomore. Maybe "get rid of the planners" meant something other than, "Piss off, y'all, it's every man for himself."

Of course, the impulse is not without an honored tradition. Saith the Bard:

Dick - "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

[That's floating around in one of those "Henry" plays.]

Posted by: Bob-S | October 5, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about Grand Isle.

I hope that there are enough crusty old gals & guys keeping their eyes on the ball that the small coast communities win plenty of the small battles. The internecine feuds between the corporations and/or "the government" will mean very little to those folks, but subsidizing a ferry here and a seafood packer there will end up meaning a lot.

Posted by: Bob-S | October 5, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

OMG major brands giving out samples on their favorite products check at http://bit.ly/dry4WG tell others

Posted by: rebecatoby05 | October 5, 2010 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Every body suing everybody….. We experienced that 10 year ago.

Our company was involved because it didn’t get paid for work done, pretty much like Dubai World. Before everybody began suing everybody, my boss said he wanted to sue that very powerful person’s company for non-payment. Even though it was uttered in private, it got out. The ‘very important person’s’ lackeys got wind of it and didn’t like what they heard. We got ourselves into a more difficult position. Over here, if you sneeze, half the country will know. When the suing eventually began, every lawyer in the country was involved. There were endless meetings and endless photocopying of multiply copies of everything connected to the projects.

Posted by: rainforest1 | October 5, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Bob S, your "piss off, it's every man for himself" theory is pretty prevalent nowadays. Have you read the positions and actual statements from the guy in Alaska running for Senate? It is all "when the government falls" and "after the crash" and "I need ready access to all MY stuff when everyone else is destroyed".

There is a segment of society that, thinking we aren't going to make the mortgage, are up for stripping out the appliances and fixtures from the house and getting what they can before the foreclosure comes.

I don't understand those people. Is that not quitting?

Posted by: baldinho | October 5, 2010 5:35 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. Positively balmy this morning, 8C/47F.
I'm not doing the cheap eats; I would bust the budget on coffee alone.

More crazy stuff in the Boss' old stomping grounds.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 5, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Been up all night editing a colleague's research proposal. Got the munchies real bad but no money 'cos of eatapalooza(not!). Must hold fast....hahaha....

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 5, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. I think the mentality now, and has been(since the election), that if we strip the country, as in kill everything dead(not talking about people in the literal sense), every program, every effort to get out of this mess(removing the current administration), we can start over again(with the folks that put us there in the first place), and everything will be better. The problem I have with that thinking is not only the obvious, but that kind of talk wasn't flowing when GWB was running the ship, and running it aground(not seriously anyway, no calls for removal from those making that call now)! What changed? Oh, I know, I know!!

Gene Robinson's editorial this morning is right on the money, in every way. I wonder whose idea it was that folks should have a cover for buying the government. I'm sure there's a light at the end of this tunnel, but, oh, the horror.

It was almost dark by the time I returned from the doctor's appointment yesterday, and to topped it off, I got a needle. I don't like needles, although sometimes the stuff they distribute helps, but it's the thought that kills it. I went to a buffet upon my arrival back in town, and left before they served the first course. I was afraid I might end up with my face in the plate.

Another busy day. Oh, well, let us get started. I do hope your day is just the cat's meow in every way, folks, and love to all.

Slyness, the weather guy said we've skipped a season, and jumped into winter. Doesn't matter, I'm loving it. I miss walking, especially on mornings like this.

Where are you, Yoki?

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 5, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Christine O'Donnell is not a witch. She says so.

And no, Christine, you are not me.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Here is a semi-on-topic inquiry. As a former Floridian (more former with each passing day), I'm used to tourist season being the winter. Snowbirds don't even start RVing down until about now. But the Redneck Riviera and Myrtle Beach-ish areas are summer resorts. Where does the pattern invert? I'm positing at St. Augustine on the east coast and Cedar Key on the gulf coast, but I'm open to counter-examples and anecdotes.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all, hi Cassandra! Delightfully cool this morning, not summer to winter but too much summer to just right fall.

I'm okay with change, but I'm not for destroying the current system and starting over. Too much change is as bad as not enough. We don't need chaos, we already have plenty of that. We need coherence, and for the people on the fringe to shut up and listen to the rest of us. You know, the ones who can be forged into alliances to actually make good change happen.

Posted by: slyness | October 5, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Off-kit...I occassionally help out (serve beer) at some fundraisers in my neck of the woods that are run by the local motorcycle (read: Harley Davidson) club. I often find myself defending these wonderful people who care deeply about their corner of the world, mostly because they choose not to wear helmets (most of them are older than 50, tend to be dentists or accountants, and don't do over 30 mph). But it's days like today that I don't think they'll need any defending. And while I'm not a fan of burn-outs, this one's okay with me.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of employer based health care. I support something I call Universal Open Enrollment. Purchasing insurance in mandatory just like in the upcoming commie-socialist freedom-hating Obamacare system but you can buy it from any of a number of tightly regulated companies with specific tiers of well defined coverages. All employers must give full time employees a specific allowance capable of meeting the lowest tier with part time employees getting a pro-rated amount. Unemployment insurance and other social service programs would include a health insurance provision as well.

From there you can come up with a variety of ways to incentivize people to upgrade their coverage with tax credits, savings accounts, good health refunds, etc. The key is that when you change jobs, you don't lose coverage. The insurance companies still get to administer benefits and market to consumers but in a vastly more competitive open environment.

But I'm dreaming, so we will settle for the half loaf shout down anybody who wants to roll-back health care reform.

I know of several families with kids graduating who are underemployed/not eligible for benefits that can now stay on their folks plan for a few more years. They all say "I hate this health care reform, but at least they got this thing right." If you look close, any specific item or benefit will prove very popular to at least a plurality of people even if the concept as a whole continues to be demonized by demagogues.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Hope JA stops by with the Zapper for that 3:36 blogspam...

I love it when candidates start pounding the table for a return to "only the government allowed by the original Constitution," or somesuch. I mean sure, let's go back to a government based on a barely industrialized, slavery-tolerant society where the vast majority of people didn't live long enough to need "health care." And as soon as you point that out, the table-pounders contradict themselves and say the Constitution DOES allow for unforseen circumstances -- just not the ones they don't like. *eye roll*

*still-not-in-a-good-mood-even-after-the-Pats-win-since-there's-no-progress-to-report-on-my-aunt's-condition Grover motions*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 5, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Bob S... it's not a full-blown analysis, but it's a start and can be pretty helpful...

Also... What does it mean that I found rebecatoby05's 3:36 am one of the most interesting posts of the night?

Posted by: -TBG- | October 5, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all.

Bananananana bread, coffee and OJ on the table.

LiT wins the tiara this week. Congrats to you!
*cue the party horns*

Nice early fall day here in TWC.

Scotty, CasaJS is still holing your fam in its heart.

TBG, ain't it nice to be able to disagree without the sky falling down?

I popped over to the pundit contest this morning. Sez WaPo received 1,400 entries. That compares with 4,800 last year. Hmmm...

Also sez WaPo's going to select 50 entries and have readers pare that group to the final 10. Doesn't look like the readers will be paid to plow through that stack. Maybe we should at least hold out for cookies.

Posted by: MsJS | October 5, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

'Morning everybody. LiT, I saw that article and choked up reading it - good for them! If the SCOTUS doesn't strike down the Westboro slime, maybe this tactic will work around the country.

Scotty, sorry to hear there's no good news about your aunt. I checked the Pat's score at one point last night and they were down 7-3 so I didn't bother to watch. Silly me.

Raw and rainy here and will be all week. Breaking out more warm clothing and planning more hot meals for the week. I already miss summer.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Cucinelli's still a glasshat:

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good for those bikers, LiT. I passed a biker 'gang' on US29 the other day and all their leather jackets had the logos of the various charities they supported.

And just what sort of shoes do you wear for beer serving? I gotta round out the mental image of LiT up to her elbows in mugs and suds.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

There's a sizable streak of American belief that the federal government, at least, will fall and it'll be every man for himself (wife and kids optional).

Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch once commented that people needed guns in their houses in case their town was attacked by a motorcycle gang.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

One of BroJS's sales reps passed away suddenly about two years ago and Bro flew to Phoenix to represent the company at the funeral. The deceased was a member of a local biker group and about 50 of them showed up in their leather gear. A couple of them spoke and they, too, support local charities both with $$$ and as volunteers.

I'm not familiar with any bike mfrs other than H-D, but they strongly encourage such efforts in the Harley Owners' Groups (HOGs).

Posted by: MsJS | October 5, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I did?!? Cool! Who'da thunk it? I've been known to go down in flames no trouble at all (the pyrotechnics make it look extra special) and fully expected to do so. Wow. This is *so* unexpected!

Time to make the doughnuts. Have a very happy day all.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

YJ, Duh. Biker boots. But there tends to be quite a bit more interest in the other volunteers' bikini tops than my shoes.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

[DaveoftheCoonties,
...Hatch once commented...]

...gives you an idea about who may or may not be stocking up on guns? There's a sizable streak of American's, a good majority as a matter of fact, (unlike your mean, adhominem cheap shot at the majority) do maintain a piece or two in the home, what does that have to do with either Orrin Hatch, gangs, motorized or otherwise? Now Dave, you know that is just B*ll P**Pie, don't you?

...and what does any of that pile of pent up resentment have to do with the 'federal government, at least' failing? They better not follow the last three years of administrative mal-practice and thievery of OUR National Treasure with any more failure. You don't think they are that devoid of ethics and compassion that they would do all they have done, run with the funds like Madoff, and leave US all to fend for OUR selves (wife and kids not optional, you dufus), really Davey?

...Maybe those Anagrams were more telling than entertaining? (Check back Boodle, if your busy schedule caused you to miss that gem).

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

RNM/Linda, having trouble following the bouncing ball today? The point wasn't about gun ownership but about the stereotyping of motorcycle clubs.

Are you saying the fiscal problems are only three years old? Where were you before that?

I gotta ask...how many people live in your head that you're always taking about WE and OUR? Which movie do you identify with more...Three Faces of Eve or Sybil?

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

We are well into pig-singing lessons territory here.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

...YJ, that wouldn't be a JC, (the prince of peanutty-ville, not the other one) moment, would it? Up to you to figure out which moment we're referrin' to, all the virtual world is a habitat, no?

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

While I'm not sure that he couldn't have found equally-deserving targets on the left, Cohen's piece about the dangers of demonizing political opponents is rather touching.

"On the right, hateful words are fired like bullets"

Posted by: bobsewell | October 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Jackie, quoi?
...missed the paradigm shift to a foraging boodle, but quess Joel has introduced the idea of 'Whatever strikes your fancy', yah, sure now? If you are not careful some may be drawing delusions about your intentions to bring new meaning to the personal ID anagrams of certain members in good standing here.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that Richard Cohen listens to music while riding a bicycle.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Christy! JK...

...Taking a name in vain, ooooh, don't boodle troll-hogs do it nearly every day? She is not a **tch and you, my friendliness, are not yet a complete Jack*a**. Apologies would most likely be appreciated, not to me you understand, WE takes OUR chances in the real world.

Wee, Wee, Wee, all the way homey...

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Given some of the recent commentary, this article shows that maybe the Neandertals are still with us, some of them maybe posting in the boodle. The rest show up at tea party rallys.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 5, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Just for a change of pace ... some poignant ambrotype and tintype images from the Civil War era which have recently been donated to the Library of Congress. I particularly like the once of the two women holding weaving shuttles. ;)

Posted by: talitha1 | October 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

scc: one

Posted by: talitha1 | October 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like those neandertals were socialists. No wonder they went extinct.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

To Frosti;

I went to Aldi and spent 36.82 for two per week per Phrosties's cheapie-eaties for phun and phrofit,

but some of that overage includes staples that will continue. I cannot figure individual costs as this is a hell/tech week for a few projects. However, CPBoy and I will eat outa thata troff for the week.

Sunday: potluck dinner and for a number of reasons I was not on the to-cook list. Brought swapie planties, though.

AM: two fried egg sands on day-3 bread from neighbor who experiments with sourdough.

Late snack for CP Boy, pretzel crumbs on serving of chocolate gelato. LARGE SERVING, is admitted by co-respondant.
---
Monday:
Fried egg sans, same bread at day four, toasted.

Sport bar and free office coffee

Chile verde with pork tenderloin (sale)

Tuesday:
oatmeal, barely cooked with toasted almond slivers (YUCK, I hate oatmeal and am trying to address this moral flaw)

Chile verde day 2

Plans: Chile verdi will be divided into two slurries: most of the liquid ingredients set aside for tortilla soup later this week, with solids set aside for white enchiladas later this week.

Tonight? Roasting small spaghetti squash and two med. aubergines. Dinner will use last weeks jarred 'scetti sauce. Roasted aubies will make baba ganoush.

Will try to work the frozen broccoli into the mix....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Boss is back on the job.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

LiT -- I think I agree with you about the strong possibility of RnM's identity.

If RnM is not said person, then I truly, truly, truly apologize.

And, this real (rhetorical, though) question for RnM: do you think that writing with such intensity will make all.things.better ?

For me, well, find myself busy getting through the days working hard to deserve the income/insurance from my employer; being kind to those in my circles from intimate to world-shared large ones; mowing the lawn; noticing the heron population in my watershed...a good life, indeed.

And, BTW, I am the face of insurance reform. Earlier this month, children now will be covered despite being BORN (S7it happens and is not due to badness/moral corruption upon the part of the afflicted) with a visible health problem, I am now hopeful that CPBoy will have insurance easily between 2011 and 2015 despite the pre-existing conditions he has. In 2014, I can be covered for the condition that I treat off the books when I can because I am not insurable for this now.

And, if need be, I know how to keep chickens. Also, I know how to milk a cow. And, in most scenarios, teachers will be needed during end times. Will set up a dame school. Mending and sewing? Check.

We all do our parts.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Bob S: I think to line re: kill all the lawyer comes from The Merchant of Venice. There are times in my job when I can fully identify with that thought. But I had a good meeting with one this morning on a personal matter, so they are sometimes essential.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 5, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

SCC: the line...

Posted by: ebtnut | October 5, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Henry VI, part 2

Posted by: talitha1 | October 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The line is from Henry VI pt 2 and comes from Dick the Butcher, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Posted by: kguy1 | October 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Just realized you didn't say to whom the apology was directed, CqP. LOL

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

jhr1,
Go back to 44 and annoy them some more. I bet they miss you.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

How very cryptic, yello. Wrong blog?

Posted by: bobsewell | October 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

No more than one person is expected to understand my 12:59.

With mudge on a cruise, we can eliminate him as a sockpuppet suspect.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Transocean blaming the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon on the Coast Guard is a bit like suing the Channel 7 Newschopper when your house burns down.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So, uh, that line from Henry VI, part 2, does have exceptions, right? Like for Ivansmom and me and engelmann, too, I think.

C'mon, let us catch a break, eh?

*ever closer to hockey season*

Posted by: ftb3 | October 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Got it. Well, jhr1 is an unpleasant piece of work (he's the one who was offering people physical violence. A couple of folks gave him their addresses and invited him to stop by!), but the style's noticeably different.

Posted by: bobsewell | October 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

But have you ever seen them in the same place at the same time?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks on the Bard reference. I stand corrected. After 10 years going to the Shakespeare Theatre, they begin to run together a bit.

Posted by: ebtnut | October 5, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

IIRC the line from Hank the Six is descriptive of the scoundrels' utopia envisioned by Dick and Jack in the event of Cade's accession to the throne. Not bloody likely.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

The 'kill the lawyers' line is spoken by the villains. But you get accused of being lawyerly if you point that out.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sentence structure, word choice are very similar, and I've been thinking that giving attribution to boodlers' previous comments is a disguise. There's also the possibility that it's her husband (there's been a reference to a job being gone, and she actively worked to make that happen). Maybe he put up with her nonsense all this time because they have so much in common? (Here's a scary thought...maybe the plural usage is because she *is* her husband.)

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

We won't have Howie Kurtz to kick around (not that I ever did, he's a good writer) at WaPo much longer.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It's okay, ftb. They have to catch me before they can kill me. All that running will make them out of breath. As they stand there panting I'll use my lawyer skills to talk them out of it.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

speaking of ecological disasters... just read about the state of emergency in Hungary due to toxic red sludge escaping a reservoir... heading for the Danube River. Geez!

Posted by: MissToronto | October 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

This morning, I used the Krebs cycle as a visual for how to brainstorm and jot down detailed analyses of a multifaceted problem.
Science colludes with writing. Life is good.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, until I heard about the toxic red sludge escaping.

Posted by: Wilbrod_Gnome | October 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's the Sludge-o-vision-

Pretty darn horrific.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

39:20 'til regular-season play starts, ftb!

Posted by: Yoki | October 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

So Kurtz is becoming a Daily Beastie. The Beast seems to be operating on something like Facebook time (ancient at six years old; the Beast is two). That makes newspapers look slow, indeed.

I got to see The Social Network. Its version of undergrad Harvard was a world away from the state universities I attended. After leaving, I recalled (I think) a story to the effect that over half of Harvard undergrads worked part time or more, and that the administration was getting worried that students didn't have time for anything but studying.

I wonder whether the movie will have an Indiana Jones effect. After the first movie about the fictitious University of Chicago professor, undergrad applications allegedly doubled. Then again, lots of kids never heard of Chicago until they saw the movie.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 5, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And your bear survival quiz for the day:

I got 31 seconds.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping that The Social Network encourages more kids to drop out of Harvard.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the details, Yoki!

*can hardly wait for the respective national anthems, in order to shout: PLAY PUCK!*

Maybe about 15 years ago or so I was at an international meeting here in DC. In the meet-and-greet session three women (of which (whom?) I was one) -- two of them Canadian -- started talking and, well, whaddya know? We all started talking about hockey! After about 5 minutes of this, we broke up laughing, thinking that it was pretty funny that three women at a conference would automatically start talking about hockey.

Yep, it's quite the game, alright.

And, now, for something completely different ....

The Nobel Prize for Literature is always the last one to be announced, and since the only person on the committee to pick the awardee has been dead for maybe 3-4 years, I have no "inside" info. That being said, I thought of it the other night as I was slogging my way through "Petals of Blood" by Ngugi wa Thiong'o -- the book, now that I'm almost halfway through, is growing on me. Sometimes he's a little hard to read, but I think I've got it now, and I feel somewhat trepidacious in going forward, as I have finally connected with the characters. This is the book that got him incarcerated in Kenya in the 70s, and I think I see why. Anyway (long-winded -- sorry), I think that someday before he dies Ngugi wa Thiong'o ought to be celebrated in that rarest of atmospheres -- Stockholm in December, where you can see the moon and the Big Dipper at 2:30 in the afternoon and then it's pitch dark by 2:45. Luckily, the sun (if there is one that day) would have come up by maybe 9 in the morning. I went through three of those, and learned to smile through the darkness, thereby scaring the *expletive* out of the natives. And that was quite fun, I must say. . . . .

Posted by: ftb3 | October 5, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

SCC -- the only person on the committee *I know/knew*

Geez

Posted by: ftb3 | October 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

A more concise clip:

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

Too busy to do any reasonable Boodling (fore- or back-) but noticed the Boss' new piece (which was updated/expanded at 1:10), and the wonderful Bikers at the Bridge yesterday.

I'm not surprised at the chaos on and around the DH after the explosions, and the current fingerpointing. In fact, I would have been surprised if there was anything else.

Sad and tragic -- people are trying to figure out how to deal with what they did, what happened as a result and how they reacted to the catastrophe - which is difficult enough - and then to have a public discussion about it... oy.

Liked your news helicopter simile (er, I *think* it's a simile), yellojkt dude.

I'm sure RnM has been in the Boodle using other IDs/handles (that jjoyce character rings a bell, too). I just don't have the time for repretitive paranoid rambling incoherent anti-Obama anti-establishment kvetching. But if I did want that, I'd just listen to Glenn Beck or one of the Tea Party bandwagon riders and get it direct and full-strength rather than the unoriginal diluted parroted/daily frothing-points version RnM provides here. BFD, y'know?

bc

Posted by: -bc- | October 5, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

13 seconds, because I'd be standing there crying about the butterfly. 8~)

Posted by: talitha1 | October 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I got one minute, three seconds on the bear quiz, but I was much more concerned with amusing myself with the answers than attempting accuracy.

Posted by: bobsewell | October 5, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

It's not like the Danube is all that blue to begin with.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

29 seconds - even with crying about the butterfly.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

One minute, six seconds on the quiz, on my second try. I channeled Sarah Palin and chose the most absurd macho answers possible. First try was slightly more sincere and slightly less effective- 24 seconds.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

54 seconds.

Posted by: Yoki | October 5, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

25 secs. But I've eaten bear meat.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 5, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Well don't leave us hanging, man, how does it taste?

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who'd eaten bear. Many years ago a guy brought a bear roast over asking that I cook it because he had no experience with game. I did a wine and garlic marinade and cooked it with veggies, pot roast style. It wasn't bad but I didn't like the idea of eating a bear.

Posted by: talitha1 | October 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Bearish?
42 sec only but they didn't ask if I ever chased a bear off my backyard or shot at one (and miss, I might add). I would have gained some serious time there.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

hey y'all!!!!!! *hugs*

hey joel - what's wrong with ink? i just got a new one - a ganesh on my left shoulder (when i was in san fran) yes, yoki - i got it! so now it's 4... unfortunately, they are quite addictive...

i've missed you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mo

Posted by: mortii | October 5, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

16 seconds... i hope bears like fatty meat! *grin*

Posted by: mortii | October 5, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I tried to post last night,but the wv dialup connection was terrible.

But it was cold enough in west by god for a fire yesterday,then it got warm real quick.

I went fishing yesterday afternoon and landed the biggest fish of the season for me.It was a nice fight with 2 spectacular jumps included.I was happy then that I brought along the camera.Although,holding the fish in one hand and snapping a picture with the other hand was a challenge.

Another oddity was there are several fawns in west by god that are still spotted this late in the year.I was wondering if the extreme heat and drought of this past summer had anything to do with it.Anybody know?

It is big fat accorn city in west by god and they are everywhere.I almost got plunked a couple of times yesterday,once even in the river.But that could have been that big bass spitting one at me.

I also found out the something is living in my attic and I don't think it is a bat.Made such a racket last night,I thought someone was walking down the hallway.I guess next trip I will have to investigate.

Congrats on this week's tiara LiT,I always knew you were so much more then a pretty face.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | October 5, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

...fee, fie, foe, fom, WE smell the breath of a dopple-ganger, swoopin' and snoopin' on a perfectly good kit-ka-boodle place, besmerching ID's, personalities, lobbing stinkers, and klinkers to stir, spin, and schmooz you, so you ears will plug and your eyes cannot understand what WE have found to be clear to any who care.

Quid Pro Quo

[Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 12:03 PM]

What is the obsession with the Lawyering Profession and thoughts of their untimely demise?

So what are the whole ABMSNBDNCNNBS Government-Media-Blog Complex concerned with today? What Americans are doing in the Bedroom, in the Road, and on 900 #'s, and, and, take a deep breath children: Yesterday the Administration Strokesmouther Gibbs says Americans abroad are clueless, unaware of their surroundings, and need to stand up, wake up, look down, look left, not right, but don't profile or they will be investigated along with Sheriff Arpaio and prosecuted to the fullest by Eric 'got to know when to Fold'em, know when to' Holder'em, when they get home, if they get home? Yesterday's joke. Today WE tune-in, wake up, look down, look left, not right, but don't profile, and on CBS Oily-show, there in living, WE kid not, color is what's his face with the red-slippers, anouncing how to get this weeks best specials for flying on an airline around the country, to the islands, Madrid, anywhere that strikes your fancy, get your cheap tickets here. Absolutely un**************...

Anybody?

...oh, oh, is it ad hominem or truth time, whatever strikes your fancy...

Quiz...

In politics: difference please, between Progressive and Transgressive?

Answer at 9:00 PM...

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

19 seconds, who says being raised in the suburbs is a disadvantage :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | October 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I shall wait with bait breath, RNM

Posted by: dmd3 | October 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Bear? Low fat, somewhat tough.

Oddly, I've only ever seen/handled/eaten bear in Florida. Back then, very little was known of them. There's still surprises. A male was radio collared near Sebring airport (on a tiny National Wildlife Refuge property, actually). It moved as far north as I-4, then back to Fisheating Creek near Lake Okeechobee, which seemed to its liking.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 5, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

22 seconds. But I'm curious now. I said I'd run, but should I have stood still and yelled at it instead?

Posted by: -bia- | October 5, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

RnN -- I do not think I posted that. You can keep posting but 1) you cannot make me care and 2) you will not change my mind to whatever you are trying to articulate.

Grading papers, which is both heaven and hell. Off to walk to check out the illegal hens in my 'hood.

Frostie: CPBOy ADMITS to eating beef jerky which is so not on the Cheap Eats list.

Roasting aubergine smells lovely, actually.

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Locally bear is eaten cured and smoked (bear "ham") or marinated and/or stewed. Got to be fully cooked, there are some nasty parasites that could be living in undercooked bear meat.

The red mud flowing in Hungary isn't really toxic. Corrosive, yes and potentially deadly to man and beast, but it's not toxic. It's the alkaline (high pH) waste of the Bayer process to transform bauxite into alumina and... red mud. The fresh red mud is very caustic, hence the high risk of burns to the skin on contact. The Hungarian plant seems to use the ancient technique of making huge lakes of the stuff and wait for the sludge to oxidize to a less corrosive, solid waste. It's been done here for a long time too. Many dams broke and release the stuff in the wild as well up in aluminium country. It never caused major fish kill in these acidic waters. Not nice, colouful but not deadly. The last 400 000 US gallons spill in 2007 resulted in a $200 000 fine, lots of bad press (for Rio Tinto i.e. Red River har, har, har) but no major fish kill. The modern way is to thicken the stuff right away and neutralyse the liquid phase.

The press loves toxic wastes and toxic chemicals,; corrosive, flammable or water-reactive waste and chemicals do not hold the same front-page power.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 5, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Hi mo!!! We've missed you, too. Does this mean you'll be back more frequently now?

Posted by: -bia- | October 5, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Stand and yell bia, joggers are over-represented bear victims. The combination of a perceived initial "charge" followed by "fleeing" is often deadly. Do not run with buds in your ears in bear country either, bears do give audible clues. They grunt. The ancient giant black lab made bears grunt a couple of times because he was big, tall and black in this small bear-country. I would never have known there was a bear around without the dog. They are not that big and they hide well.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

RNM/Linda, your comment mentions 'those who care.' I'm not sure who that would be, but I suspect not too many of them hang out here. If you're really rich no more(were you ever?), I'm guessing there's no money to go harass various authors. Why not spend the time stringing those beads? Might make a buck or two....

BTW, what's with going after CqP? She's backed you up, well, she did until you burnt that bridge (and burning a bridge with such a large catholic [and Catholic] heart takes a whole lotta kindling). Why not go after someone who wouldn't think twice about responding in kind?

BTW, your last comment was like a blast from the past. I guess no matter where you go, there you are.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

OK, my Ctrl F and C with Find ^ up are working, this is what I saw...

[...question for RnM: do you think that writing with such intensity will make all.things.better?
Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 12:03 PM

Quid pro quo, ColqP1...

Where is the highest density in the Universe, (measurement wise)?

The Question about lawyers was for anyone.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

LostinT,

...if you mean by 'going after', one should watch what one posts because there are those who may take it personally, how is that free-speech or fair? If everything that is said and/or written in the current paradigm, is subject to that constraint, if certain posters cross the line in personal terms and are OK, then certain others should not be held to a different standard. That being the case we could bring the world together in universal peace by expanding such a standard globally. Just suggesting that more peace has been averted by resentment than all the physical attacks in history. I'm OK, want that for any who care about such things. Most have heard of a similar concept in the form "Peace on Earth Among all of Good Will". I personally believe that has a sweet ring.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

RNM/Linda, I'm more than capable of taking care of myself. I don't fight fair. Besides, I'm not the one who has left a trail a mile wide.

You've made it more than clear you don't want to be accepted here as anything other than a royal PITA. So no, the terms of friendly banter don't apply to you.

Universal peace? I'm all for it. You've given no indication other than your lip service at 7:06 that you're interested in anything of the kind.

Might want to check with the doc about the multiple personalities, the mood swings, and the hallucinations. Maybe a change in dosage?

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

18 seconds.

LostinThought can definitely take care of herself.

Posted by: -pj- | October 5, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Shirley Not Loo. Wrong politics.

Posted by: Boomslang | October 5, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I've got you all beat. I'd last 11 seconds.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 5, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

You beat me by four seconds TBG!

Posted by: badsneakers | October 5, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Lit,

Missed the earlier post, but most of what I posted was meant in the best light, though some may take offense, sure. Isn't that the major risk of any interactive socializing? I do understand that some have different levels of comfort in such situations. If anything there was taken in a light not protecting your sensibilities, I apologize, and will keep in my mind only that you present a good heart and a quick and discerning thinking process, a most refreshing discovery in the virtual community maintained to all our benefit. Thank You...

...sometimes I'm the windshield sometimes I'm the bus. The problem with a mind is the bigger the inhabitant and the more inhabitants in there, the more difficult it is to see that only a mind that understands by a higher mind (and will) can ultimately be useful to anybody.

The answer is still, yes...

Perhaps the limitation of physical location not allowing for visual confirmation of impressions taken from pure written communication, does result in the increased chance of mis-understanding references that appear personally/gender directed. The short-hand here is always beyond challenging, and is very conducive to learning.

Posted by: RichNomore | October 5, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I did *not* see that coming. I'm so very tempted to say okay, let's move on, but there's a little twitch that says if I do, next time you'll just use a bigger hammer. But I'll think about it.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

RnM, well, my goodness, you do write in paragraphs and sentences. Ok then. We are not, generally, in your leaning. But, IF YOU ARE CIVIL AND FUNNY, you can stay and post and be accepted here. Really. Otherwise, well, keep posting as is your right. Only JA the boss can or will ban you.

However, I agree with LiT; cautious about you, really. But, that is honest on my part. This place is like a bar; you need to heed the culture really, to be content and in hope of a open bar stool.

Frosti -- how are the eats going? For the end of the week, I hope to try Jumper's Brining of Beans strategies. Nothin'beats beans and rice or beans and corn tortilla or beans and sausage (dgB) or beans and a nice sourdough slice.

TBG - any beans in the Grecian Cookerie Notes?

And, DNAgal, any chickpea splendors? I am not the most happy lentil gal...am trying to work on that, as also my oatmeal failing.

Mea culpa, O ye Gods of Oatmeal and Lentils; I supplicate before you, all means of ablutions and sacrifices......

RnM -- if you are LL, which will mean something to you, then scat, really. I have your number and DO NOT APPRECIATE THE CALL TO MY BOSS. Sheeeshies Louiseeeesss. GET A LIFE. I think there is a soup kitchen in Texas that needs you.....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

CqP! I came here just now to take a break from grading....heaven and hell indeed. Let's see if I can finish my eatapalooza(not!) report before the siren call of tests becomes irresistible.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 5, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

LiT -- blessings to you, dear one. Thanks for backing me by sacking. Football and life, one and the same at times.

Back to prading grapers.....whoopsies....will the gods please pour me a glass of

measure,
energy,
humility,
fobearance,
and lots of commas, etc.

Gd ng sw ble.....texting is such sweet etcetera....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

measure,
energy,
humility,
fobearance,
and lots of commas, etc.

Gd ng sw ble.....texting is such sweet etcetera....

Posted by: CollegeQuaParkian1 | October 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Excellent, dbG.

Posted by: -TBG- | October 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Help paging dbG, Skunk just sprayed in our garage, may have got the dog as well, note to self next time dog is constantly hyper look for a reason.

Remedies, house stinks, not sure yet about the dog, garage is supposed to smell really bad.

Dog was getting sick (from the spray?)

Posted by: dmd3 | October 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Will e-mail you, dmd.

While I'm writing, do you have any pet stores open near you or is it just homemade remedies tonight?

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This has got such a great headline.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

The odour is so bad in the house we cannot even tell if the dog got spray, I don't think he did, but the smell from the garage is bothering him, I don't smell it on the dog, dmdspouse could also be the issue :-). Garage is attached to the house.

Younger child is walking around with a towel wrapped around her, youngest sisters tight over her mouth with an air freshener tucked under the stockings - too funny.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 5, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Still working on e-mail. I didn't think Emma got sprayed either, but she did, really good. It's hard to tell when it's so fresh, but keep him in one area of the house. Am including shopping list.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

dbG,
Deja vu. See my 12:59. Great minds think alike.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 5, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I posted my grocery list earlier. Oh and I'm taking the easy way--uniformity and discipline are essential for getting through this week (not the most easy one re teaching etc. duties). So...

Sun
Breakfast: 4 Marie biscuits (I don't like to eat breakfast, so this more than normal but then I'm ravenous by lunch and can usually afford more veggies and fruit).
Lunch: Bread, green moong dal, cuke/tomato yoghurt (raita), apple.
Dinner: Big bowl of choco muesli/oats + milk (comfort food that I eat 2-3 times/week since DNA Guy's gone abroad...bonus: Choco muesli is Swiss).

Mon
Breakfast: 4 Marie biscuits
Lunch: Bread, 1/2 can red kidney beans, yoghurt, apple
Dinner: Choco muesli/oats + milk

Tue
Breakfast: 4 Marie biscuits
Lunch: Bread, left over green moong dal, yoghurt, apple
Dinner: Choco muesli/oats + milk

Moong dal recipe (a couple of servings):

Soak a cup of green moong dal O/N. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_bean).
Wash well and drain.
Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a pressure cooker and saute a medium onion (finely chopped) on low heat until soft, then add grated ginger (1/2 inch piece) and a clove of garlic, and saute some more (all these can be prepared in a food processor together, though the garlic tends to burn before the onions are done). Add chopped green chillies if you like your dal spicy. Then add salt to taste, 1/4 tsp each cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and moong dal (you can add coarsely chopped raw potato pieces now, if you plan to cook the dal under pressure). Add water to ~1/4 inch above dal and cook under max pressure for < 5 minutes (moong dal cooks very easily, so a pressure cooker is not necessary, though I can't tell you exactly how much time it'll take in a regular pot (20 minutes?). Let the cooker cool for several minutes, open carefully and add chopped tomatoes, 1/4 tsp garam masala (curry powder) and cilantro. Add water to desired consistency and bring to a quick boil. Eat with bread/rice (I skipped cilantro to cut costs)

Cuke/tomato raita (a couple of servings; will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days):
Chop cukes and tomatoes and add to a cup of yoghurt. Add salt to taste, a pinch each of cumin, red chili and dry mango powder (amchur) or rock salt. Mix until smooth. Garnish with cilantro.

Easy red kidney beans recipe (1 can makes 2 servings):
Note, I'm actually using pre-made onion/ginger/garlic/green chillies masala base (as described above except made in bulk and frozen in ziploc bags).
Break off a chunk of the frozen masala base. Heat in a pan. Add washed canned beans, the dry masala powders, salt, chopped tomato, chopped boiled potato, water as needed. Bring to a boil. Garnish with cilantro. Eat. DNA Guy likes it if I add a bit of sugar too. Yes, he's weird that way.

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 5, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Oops, yello! Missed that because I was at work and don't play videos there. Funny how that phrase keeps coming up!

dmd, sent email. Call if you want. Took me 3 days to clear it all out, as it fades a little you find where it really is. For the garage, I think SCOE10x has a fogger as well as the liquid, but power misting the liquid should take care of it. Some people swear by de-ionization machines, but I don't have one. I was going to rent one as a last resort, but didn't have to.

I own no stock in SCOE10x, but it really cleans out skunk spray! Problem is you have to order it from Georgia.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I've also told both dogz that if they're going to chase a skunk they'd better kill it. If they're going to get sprayed, I at least want to know that skunk won't show up in the yard again.

This from an animal lover! :)

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

This from an animal lover! :)

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I think my wireless connection stutters and resends the post, because sometimes I'll get a pop-up saying I've tried to post too many times in too short a period of time.

Other times, maybe it stutters and WaPo accepts it.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 5, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Rumors swirling that the Patriots are gonna trade Randy Moss to the Vikings... contingent on the Vikes agreeing to a contract with Moss.

That'd get the sports talk phones a-ringing up here.

Posted by: baldinho | October 5, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the replay of last night's Colbert Report.

Is "Muslim Mo Rocca" taken as a boodle handle?

Posted by: baldinho | October 5, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

We'll need to refer that to the Assistant Shop Steward.

Don't be lulled dear Boodlers.

Posted by: Yoki | October 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

It appears that BP has plenty of money to berm.

I like that there is only passing mention that Louisiana has been trying to build the berms for years.... to stop erosion, not oil.

In that regard, the spill was a miracle.... they get what they want, and for free! Too bad they sold the berms as a fix for a problem that it won't fix at all.

Posted by: baldinho | October 5, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's what looks like an important analysis of the need for a deal with Cuba to support its efforts to gain energy independence, and to coordinate disaster responses--drilling and otherwise.

Looks like the Brookings think tank has a Miami outpost.

Posted by: DaveoftheCoonties | October 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

this is one of those occasions when i can't shake a tune...

Posted by: -jack- | October 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Hah! Hahahahahaha!

Posted by: Yoki | October 5, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

dmd, your kids are just too funny.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

yeah.

Posted by: -jack- | October 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

injectable insulin was developed by Canadian scientists. i didn't know this. very cool story.

Posted by: -jack- | October 5, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Banting and Best!

Posted by: Yoki | October 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

No, seriously, you didn't know this? It isn't publicised?

Posted by: Yoki | October 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

3 slices bacon, diced
half onion chopped
one Anaheim pepper, chopped
2 cubed yellow squash
half apple & 3/4 pear chopped
handful raisins chopped
handful pecans chopped
cumin seed, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, coriander, traces of cinnamon and nutmeg
cooked and served in flour tortillas

Posted by: Jumper1 | October 6, 2010 4:32 AM | Report abuse

Sounds great, jumper.

For breakfast, I've left spaghetti taco fixings on the kitchen island.

running out the door . . .

Posted by: -dbG- | October 6, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

The flying spaghetti monster got a call-out on Glee last night. Pastafarianism is finally getting some mainstream attention. Along with Sikh acupuncture.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Macleod got the Nobel prize instead of Best, which sucked so so so much, and now 'Banting and Best' is how the discovery of insulin is remembered. Hooray for alliteration!

Posted by: DNA_Girl | October 6, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, friends. "Kill all the lawyers" was a phrase that came to mind yesterday while a lawyer was grilling me. And for the lawyers here, I certainly do not include any of you! By the time that guy finished with me, I wanted to cry. I know he was doing his job, but it was pure torture. Torture!

Today is Wednesday, the busy day. After the grilling I went to the after-school program and it was like a balm on a sore.

Have a great day, folks, and love to all.

Slyness, cool weather persist and it really feels good. I know when it get colder, I'll be tempted to complain, but remind me of those hot days and I'll shut up.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 6, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Always nice to have a delightful rainbow-hued, cloud-stratified sunrise kick the morning off right.

Now if I can only find some coffee...

Then again, I should have had some last night to have avoided unplugging the DVR when there was something I wanted to record. *headdesk*

*halfway-to-the-holiday-weekend-and-doesn't-it-look-like-a-great-one Grover motions*

Posted by: Scottynuke | October 6, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Well... we're not on the map, but the map's pretty cool anyway...

Posted by: -TBG- | October 6, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

McLeans magazine is currently running a contest for the greatest Canadian invention/innovation, it is down to the final four.

Roberston screwdriver vs Blackberry - that is a tough call, the other semi Banting and Best vs Norman Bethune, think I have to go with Banting and Best there.

Posted by: dmd3 | October 6, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

You will note we adopted Alexander Graham Bell!

Posted by: dmd3 | October 6, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

TBG - I love that map! Although the Facebook thing is kinda imposing.

Posted by: RD_Padouk | October 6, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I think we generally sail up and down in the sea of protocol confusion...great map, wonder if they'll put out a poster version, or put it on a tee? I'd buy...

Morning, all. Cassandra, I hope you are comfortable with the coolness today. I see the forecast says it will be warmer the first of the week. It was 45 when Mr. T and I walked and the jacket felt good.

Posted by: slyness | October 6, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Just checking in here to make sure everyone's doing okay and there is no need for anything resembling blogger supervision.

One of the great things about this blog is that it is very lightly managed. In fact it's not managed at all. In fact it's kind of Hobbesian.

I'll put up a new kit shortly. I'm at the La Quinta, having decided to upgrade from the Extended Stay Suites after only two days. I actually worried that it's not allowed to stay at the Extended Stay for just two days because, you know, that's not really extended. But you had to buy your own shampoo in the vending machine downstair off the lobby, $1.50 for a couple of little packets of Breck. No free breakfast. I'm not even sure the place has employees other than a lonely person at the front desk. My first room wouldn't lock -- at all -- door wouldn't latch -- and the smoke alarm went off when I turned on the heater (yes it was cold in new orleans). anyway i finally decided to upgrade from the 70 buck a night place to the 77 buck a night place across the street. La Quinta has a pool! Of course it's not exactly the Fontainebleau pool of Miami Beach. The pool looks like something that has been captured and is being held hostage in the parking lot.

I may upgrade again.

Posted by: joelache | October 6, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

What happened to either poutine or the toque?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, y'all!
Yeah, dmd, I never did figure out how Baddeck NS came to "own" Bell even if he did enjoy his summer cottage on the lake there quite a bit.. I did enjoy the Bell museum a lot. How's the skunkscent situation this morning?

TBG, loved the map ... but that site is dangerous. I found one that may resonate with boodlers.

Posted by: talitha1 | October 6, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm coming up with a rack rate of $65 for the LaQuinta which sounds to good to be true. Personally I'd go to the Hampton Inn on the other side of I-10 for $129 a night before any AAA, corporate, or personal-friend-of-a-Pulitzer-Prize-winning-journalist discount. At some Hampton Inns you get an in-room refrigerator, a DVD player, and walk-in showers. Plus you earn Hampton rewards points which as I found out the hard way do not accumulate fast enough to comp a weekend in Puerto Rico in January.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

There is also a Bell Museum near me in Brantford where Bell spent quite a bit of time, and worked on the phone there.

I am at work finishing what I need to do before I go home to deskunk my house and dog. It became clear about 4:00 that the dog got sprayed, I was finally sound asleep until the dog came to our room to sleep on the floor - the scent woke me up - yup he needs a bath. He is husky, collie, shepherd that is a lot of fur to descent :-)

Posted by: dmd3 | October 6, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Or you could just go across the street to the Sheraton for $149 a night ($168 with taxes and fees) but I bet they charge extra for wi-fi.

That is enough stalking for one morning.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Mr. A, there's an Extended Stay near CasaJS. There always seems to be at least one party moving out and into the Hampton Inn next door when I pass by.

Do we need to take up a "Hotel Upgrade" collection for you?

Posted by: MsJS | October 6, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

dmd,
I am glad that my dog was never savvy enough to chase skunks. My wife to this day besmirches his rabbit hunting skills because he blissfully failed to spot the bunny on our neighbors driveway. But he could follow the scent of a chicken biscuit about anywhere.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

TBG,
The scary part of that map is how many of those places I've visited.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

And the make-your-own Belgian waffles at Hampton Inns are exquisite.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Yello

Give the dog a break, man! That was funny.

I don't know if I told the boodle my neighbor is in the nursing home. She used to feed the cats. One of the neighbors gave me the cat food while cleaning out her apartment. I'm thinking I must look like the cat lady. I put the cat food in the planter, didn't have the heart to throw it away, but don't want to feed the cats! They tore the bag open and helped themselves. I guess that was my way of putting off what I knew I would end up doing? There's a word for that, but it doesn't come to mind, anyone? Anyway, they've finished the cat food, now they're sleeping in the planter! Every morning I go out the planter is turned over, potting soil and all. But I think it's warm sleeping on the potting soil.

Slyness, I really like cool weather, so much better than hot, hot. Still working on getting to your town.

Posted by: cmyth4u | October 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Howdy y'all. Joel, I second the recommendation for the Hampton Inn, if there is one. In my vast experiental sample of two, I have observed that Hampton Inns have excellent managers. They must train them by saying, "We have adequate beds, amenities and free breakfast items, just like every other medium-budget place. You make us stand out with dedicated customer service." And I've never seen one with a hostage free-range pool (nice).

I think the Achenblog is one of the tiny islands - a speck so nimble it is movable, sailing the various seas at whim.

Posted by: Ivansmom | October 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Joel, loved your line about the pool looking like it's being held hostage, first good laugh of the day for me. And Breck shampoo - I didn't know that was still being made!

dmd, I feel for you, what a horror show but, thank goodness for the Boodle which brings dbG's expertise to help you with this!

Funny map, reminds me of the New Yorker cover from about 10 years ago.

Posted by: badsneakers | October 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I've been lucky enough to have dogs which were sprayed by skunks only once, they avoided the smelly beasts after their first encounter. The VLP never met a skunk and I have little doubt that the small-brained brute would get nailed in every single encounter that arises.

I am surprised, but just a little given the magazine running this contest, that J-A Bombardier, inventor of the Snowmobile, Skidoo and Muskeg carrier/tractor and originator of the Bombardier aircraft&train manufacturing concern and the Bombardier Recreational Products group didn't make the first round of such contest. If Robertson made it why not nominate Arthur Sicard, inventor of the two-stage snowblower, if they were after Canadiana? I love the Sicard monster snowblowers of my youth.

Posted by: shrieking_denizen | October 6, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

From ten years ago if I'm still in college and not married yet.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

This New Yorker cover, badsneakers?

Look at the date!

Posted by: nellie4 | October 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

You are FAST, yello!

Posted by: nellie4 | October 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Love Joel's comments.

Dmd, when it's fresh it's almost impossible to know what's been sprayed and what hasn't. Delusion reigns. I know you'll get a handle on this. Dmddog is a furry guy. Before this is over you may think of getting him shaved. I thought about it for Emma and she has short fur.

Shriek, doubtless the vlp would kill the skunk? Revenge is the important thing.

One of my neighbors has a full front yard--realistic, life-sized zombies, vampires, graves, music. Emma thinks they're real and wants to make friends. A skunk thought they were real and ... Didn't. Fresh spray last night.

Posted by: -dbG- | October 6, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

nellie,
Great minds...

I wonder what my excuse is.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

yello... I've visited much of that map, too, and often run into you there!

Amazing what's changed in about three years. Here's XKCD's original Map of Online Communities

Posted by: -TBG- | October 6, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the boodle is more like the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea....a movable community with a vast library of knowledge available to all, a captain who treats everyone well, and when the vessel gets stuck in the ice, everyone helps to get it moving along again. If a giant squid gets stuck in the engine, it's removed with axes.

Posted by: LostInThought | October 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

LiT,
Brilliant. Who gets to play Kirk Douglas and who is Peter Lorre?

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

New kit.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 6, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

LiT, I like your Boodle as Nautilus analogy, especially the squid eradication method.

That New Yorker cartoon is almost exactly my son's age. Who'da thunk? Seems like only 20 years ago at most.

May I also add my vote for Hampton Inns. Unless I'm in an old inn or funky cottage somewhere I always look for Hamptons. I was once upgraded (messed up reservation for a four-day stay) to a suite with a full kitchen and in-room jacuzzi, no extra charge.

Posted by: talitha1 | October 6, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse