Match game: Whose knife is it, anyway?

So there we were, in a staff meeting a few weeks back, discussing points of interest related to the story by Sarah Mark on overcoming her knife-set intimidation. We each harbor fond attachments to pretty different knives, as it turns out. No surprise, really. But when we brought them in and put them side by side, they seemed even more disparate -- and we thought it would be tough for most folks to figure out whose was whose.

That's where you come in. Match the owner with his or her knife. The first one to do so correctly will win a cookbook or a lunch with one of us...we'll think of something appropriate. Study the group shot and list our names (Joe, Bonnie, Jane, Leigh) in the right order, starting with the knife on the left, along with a clever reason for the attributions. And we'll have to be able to contact you, so be prepared to send your mailing info here.

You'll find brief descriptions of the knives after the photo. And, in case we need a tie-breaker, guess the owner of this goofy yet highly functional knife:

Baguette that cuts like a knife, you say? (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

Staff Favorites: Cutting-edge edition. (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

At far left, No. 1: Seven-inch Japanese chef's knife, with a lightweight blade but a Western-style handle.

No. 2: Ten-inch chef's knife with a dramatic curve at the tip. This knife is one of a kind, custom-designed to suit the user's hand.

No. 3: Eight-inch Sabatier chef's knife. It's big enough to do almost any job but not so big that it intimidates newbie cooks.

No. 4: Six-inch Global chef's knife that is lightweight and holds an edge well.

We'll put up a new post on Thursday with the answers. What are your favorite knives, and why? We're not looking for celebrity endorsements or chatter from manufacturers -- just good thoughts on good implements.

By The Food Section  |  January 26, 2010; 6:30 PM ET
 | Tags: knives
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The art of eating, on Constitution Ave.
Next: Chef Gerard Pangaud is doing his duty

Comments

The order of the knife owners from left to right is: Bonnie Joe, Leigh, and Jane. I think that's right.

Posted by: wow4 | January 27, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

i bought three shun vg-10 damascus knives in 8, 6, and 4 inch blades last year. they are wonderful. i also have two knives from my wife's grandparents that are made from saw blades (see foxfire 4) with walnut handles. they're boning and slicing knives, with very flexible blades which sharpen easily and well.

Posted by: bnglfn | January 27, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Left to right - Bonnie, Jane, Leigh, Joe. No 2 is a pretty sweet looking knife, I must say.

Posted by: darastar | January 27, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Left to right
Joe, Bonnie, Leight and Jane.
I think Joe owns the Baquette knife.

Posted by: misstosh | January 27, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Jane, Joe, Leigh, Bonnie.
Oh, and let's say the fun baguette knife is Jane's

Posted by: BigGreenFrank | January 27, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go with
Joe, Jane, Bonnie, and Leigh

with the Baguette knife belonging to Jane.

Posted by: Librasmoon | January 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Who cares? Seriously, this is the best journalism they can come up with for this section? Time for NYT.com.

Posted by: CAC2 | January 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Joe, Jane, Bonnie, Leigh. Are we supposed to email this guess to you?

Posted by: egengle | January 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hmm.. Joe, Jane, Bonnie, Leigh?

For Joe this knife says: Yea I've traveled from Japan, no biggie.
For Jane this knife says: Don't mess with me, I know what's up.
For Bonnie this knife says: Hey newbies, don't be afraid!
For Leigh this knife says: I'm simple yet elegant.

And I'm guessing Bonnie for the awesome bread knife.

Posted by: julie823 | January 27, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Joe - fugu, you are no match for me

Leigh - Outback, here I come

Bonnie - tried and true classic

Jane - global knife for a global girl

The baguette? I'll guess Bonnie.

Posted by: krisdapy | January 27, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Leigh, Joe, Jane, Bonnie

Baguette knife: Bonnie

Posted by: spade1 | January 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So far, most of you are pretty far off! Two of you have gotten ONE of the matches right, two of you have gotten TWO of them right, and two of you have gotten the bonus baguette match right. Hmm... Keep it up!

Posted by: joeyonan | January 27, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Bonnie, Leigh (in appreciation for the craftsmanship), Jane, Joe
Baquette knife - Jane (for the fun of it)

Posted by: marysf | January 27, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jane, Joe, Bonnie, Leigh. Baguette for Leigh.

Posted by: Elizabeth_Terry | January 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

From what you said, I guess: Bonnie, Joe, Jane, Leigh, with the baguette belonging to Jane.

Clever reason: none other than that I tried to make it a Sudoku of Ginsu chart.

Good thing this isn't a GMAT question.

My own set are servicable but decidedly unphotogenic Wustoff Classics I've had for 20 years, and a whetstone from my Dad.

Posted by: Agathist | January 28, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse