How Do You Use Old Bay?

Fans sprinkle Old Bay on just about everything. (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

There are fans. And then there are Old Bay fanatics. The kind of people who put the famous Baltimore seasoning not only on crabs and shrimp but on burgers and wings, on corn on the cob and atop pasta salad. One fan even tried to replicate the seasoning herself. Another lover added a pinch to a pumpkin pie. (No word on how that turned out.)

How do you use Old Bay? Got any really creative ideas? And what do you think of the list we have so far? I like the idea of a peach salsa with Old Bay (courtesy of my friend Alex Salkever in Mill Valley, Calif.). I'm also intrigued by Coconut & Lime blogger Rachel Rappaport's spicy crab dip on top of a homemade pretzel.

Send us your ideas in the comments below. And let us know what you think of ours.

-- Jane Black

By Jane Black  |  October 7, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Recipes  | Tags: Jane Black, recipes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chat Leftovers: Peeling Pumpkins
Next: School Lunch Money

Comments

Take 1 part Old Bay, 1 part Olive Oil, and 1 part hot sauce mix together in a zip lock bag. Add sliced onions, peppers, eggplant, and squash and shake. Grill the mixture.

Posted by: traveler2645 | October 7, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

The idea of crab dip on top of a pretzel isn't anything new - go to Baltimore and you'll find crab pretzels all over town.

As a Maryland native living in Colorado, I still can't live without Old Bay. Thank goodness they sell it here. Years ago my sister and her husband were stationed in Tacoma, WA and we had to ship her cans of Old Bay.

I make the best Old Bay chicken wings. Cook the frozen tyson wings in the oven for about 20 mins at 350. Then generously coat the wings with old bay and finish on the grill for about 15 mins. I then sprinkle some more on for good measure. Delish! My beau also slathers a little mayo on salmon, tops with old bay and then grills. We love it on popcorn, fries, baked potatoes, etc etc. The recipe for a chicken marinade on the can is also very good.

Posted by: jraines | October 7, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I have never, ever been a fan of Old Bay sprinkled on anything. It's very disconcerting to order something in this area and get this red stuff all over it. It took me a year of living here (been here for 12+ now) to make sure to ASK if fries, etc. come with Old Bay on it...Gross :P Fine, put it in a bisque, chowder, crab boil, etc., but NOT ON FRIES! Ick...

Posted by: sigmagrrl | October 7, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I sprinkle it on pizza. Amazing! First tried it at The Corner Pub in Silver Spring years ago (I think they keep jars on the bar.) Ledo's doesn't have it, but Stained Glass Pub in Glenmont does (which beats Ledo's by a mile!)

Posted by: Bebunk | October 7, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I know this might sound weird, but Old Bay sprinkled on hot dogs is delicious!

Posted by: mayn | October 7, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I make tuna fish (from a can) add mayo, old bay, relish and hot sauce

Posted by: kam0715 | October 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

When I went to school in College Park, the cafeteria staff put out giant tubs of Old Bay, so we'd eat everything with Old Bay (but usually French fries).

Now, my big Old Bay dishes are on top of eggs or mixed into the cheese sauce for baked mac and cheese.

Posted by: linzercookie | October 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge Old Bay fan. I think it muddies the taste of fresh seafood, and sometimes that celery seed flavor is just too much. But I do enjoy it sprinkled on a buttered baked potato.

A sprinkle I like a little better for a baked potato (or some buttered pasta) is Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning...it has paprika, ground chipotle, rosemary, thyme, salt, and some other stuff. Very earthy, a little smoky...also good on scrambled eggs, egg white omelettes, chicken, pork tenderloin, etc.

Posted by: popcornvie | October 7, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse